Mar

evening all

President Barack Obama walks across the tarmac to greet people after arriving at North Carolina Air National Guard Base in Charlotte, N.C., March 7, 2012. (Official White House Photo by Lawrence Jackson)

Thursday

11:00: Michelle Obama attends the 2012 International Women of Courage Awards ceremony hosted by Hillary Rodham Clinton.

3:30: PBO hosts President John Evans Atta Mills of Ghana for a meeting.

5:35: PBO and Michelle Obama have dinner with winners of a campaign contest.

PBS: The web is abuzz today about video of a speech Barack Obama gave in 1990 at Harvard Law School defending the actions of Professor Derrick Bell ….

….. the website BuzzFeed published a clip of the speech …. it claimed the clip was “not previously available online” ….. But there’s nothing new about the clip or Obama’s role in the controversy at Harvard Law School …. it’s been online at our site and on YouTube since 2008…..

In light of today’s controversy, and Breitbart.com editors’ claims that the footage had been edited, we pulled the full archived tape. In includes not just Obama’s speech, but other footage from the rally and portions of Derrick Bell’s speech….

While BuzzFeed did not publish all of the available footage of the event they did post the entirety of what was available of Obama’s speech….. (See the link to watch the video)

More here

A clip from the original PBS documentary:

Don’t miss Liberal Librarian’s latest post at The People’s View:

‘We are at war with Eastasia. We have always been at war with Eastasia.’

Greg Sargent: A new national poll of Latino registered voters by Univision News/ABC/Latino Decisions has some very interesting findings that cast doubt on GOP chances of making inroads among them:

* 61% of Latinos trust Obama and Dems to make the right decisions to improve the economy, versus only 24% who pick Republicans.

* 57% of Latinos say Obama’s health reform law should be left to stand, versus 28% who support repeal.

* Romney’s favorable ratings among Latinos are upside down, at 28-41, though many are undecided.

* 72% of Latinos say that the GOP either doesn’t care about reaching out to them (45%) or is outright hostile to them (27%)…..

….. the fact that nearly three-fourths of Latinos think the GOP either doesn’t care about or is outright hostile towards them is another sign that the primary may have badly damaged any GOP hopes of making real inroads with them.

More here

WCNC: North Carolina’s favorite son is hoping his voice will help keep President Barack Obama in the White House for another four years.

On Friday in Ballantyne, musician James Taylor appeared at a fundraiser for the Democratic National Convention with First Lady Michelle Obama…..

…. For the next few months he is on tour and on a mission to keep Barack Obama in the White House.

On Taylor’s hat, you’ll find a small pin reading “Obama 2012.” “It’s a 2012, pump up the spirit pin,” Taylor said. “I do wear it with pride. I am so, I really love this President. I love what it says about America that we were able to elect this man… and I think of him as almost uniquely honest in this political world.”

More here

President Obama greets Davis Marsico, 6, and other supporters upon his arrival at Charlotte Douglas International airport, March 7

WBTV

Thanks LOL

Political Cartoons

Editorialcartoonists

The Week

269 Responses to “evening all”

1. March 7, 2012 at 8:28 pm

This man has no convictions except the pursuit of his own power.

It didn’t get much notice amid the buildup to Super Tuesday. But after conservative outcry over his support for raising the minimum wage, Mitt Romney quietly reversed his position this week.

“There’s probably not a need to raise the minimum wage,” the Republican front-runner told CNBC’s Larry Kudlow on Monday.

As recently as January, Romney said he was in favor of a hike in the minimum wage. “My view has been to allow the minimum wage to rise with the CPI [Consumer Price Index] or with another index so that it adjusts automatically over time,” he told a staffer for a labor-backed group that supports a raise. And he confirmed that stance last month, telling reporters: “I haven’t changed my thoughts on that.”

Story here: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/outcry-mitt-romney-reverses-stance-minimum-wage-181557691.html

• March 7, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Let’s add to your statement ‘pursuit of his own power so long as he isn’t held responsible for any of the consequences that result from use of said power.”

• 37 yardarm756
        March 7, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Let me buttinski too.
        They who lack talent expect things to happen without effort. They ascribe failure to a lack of inspiration or ability, or to misfortune, rather than to insufficient application. At the core of every true talent there is an awareness of the difficulties inherent in any achievement, and the confidence that by persistence and patience something worthwhile will be realized. Thus talent is a species of vigor.
        Eric Hoffer (1902 – 1983)

2. 41 Judith Fardig
    March 7, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Great day, post Stupor Tuesday!!

3. March 7, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Evening TOD.

Hmmm the pigs are gonna squeal about his, but from Levin’s ears to…

First on CNN: Levin says Limbaugh should be dropped from Armed Forces Network

• 43 Dudette
      March 7, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Let ‘em squeal. Let ‘em do it loudly in to the ears of women voters across the country all the way up to Election Day.

4. March 7, 2012 at 8:40 pm

That’s my senator! Thank you, Sen. Levin for being one of the good guys – honest, hard-working, and caring.

5. 45 CEB
    March 7, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Nothing to add to all of the great news and commentary today, but I justed wanted to say hello to everyone and to say thanks once again to Chips for the best site ever. On to 9 million hits for Chips and 2012 for Obama/Biden.

Dealing with exhaustion, so I am turning in early. Good night, TOD ohana.

6. March 7, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Love this (from GOPolitico!):

While in St. Petersburg, Fla., for a fundraiser Wednesday night, Vice President Joe Biden got a compliment on his red necktie.

Rather than just thanking the donor and moving on, Biden admired the man’s purple tie, a pool report said. Then, in a moment of Biden being Biden, he suggested that they swap ties. And, in the midst of a photo line where donors paid $1,000 apiece to pose with the vice president, the two men did just that.

Later on, Biden spent about 30 minutes speaking to about 200 donors who between $100 and $2,500 each to attend. Biden trotted out one of his standard fundraiser lines, his recommended slogan for the Obama reelection campaign: “Osama bin Laden is dead, and General Motors is alive.”

As the enthusiastic crowd “four more years” and one guest shouted “Joe 2016,” Biden offered another catchphrase: “Let’s get 2012.”

• March 7, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Joe is sexy. That is all

• 51 JoJothecat
        March 7, 2012 at 8:55 pm

That’s our Joe….#Presson Obama/Biden 2012!

• 52 utaustinliberal
          March 7, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Yes he is! I was so glad when PBO picked him as his VP running mate. VP Biden is down to earth, warm, smart as a whip, handsome and he genuinely likes and cares about people. He treats everyone the same; be you a millionaire or a member of the working class.

• 54 LOL
        March 7, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Yes, he is. Especially when he has on his aviators.

• 55 nospin
        March 7, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Isn’t he though? His smile is just magnetic. And then Ride or Die Joe had a pic where he propped one leg up on a chair and I thought. . . . . . oh my!

• 56 lisalovesobama
      March 7, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Mmmm! Lubs me some Joe! There’s no one else like him:

• 57 Dudette
      March 7, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I really adore Joe Biden. He just strikes me as a man with such a good heart. I honestly knew very little about him before the 2008 campaign except that he’d been in the Senate for eons and ran for President a couple of times. My first real glimpse of him in something other than a purely political context was when I watched him on Ellen Degeneres back in October 08 right before the election.

Interestingly, this interview came up with around the time “Joe the Plumber emerged,” so he’s addressing the “controversy” around the then-Presidential Candidate Obama’s conversation with the fake plumber. Boy, the guy figured out how to work his 15 minutes for all it’s worth didn’t he. Clearly he’s a student of the Sarah Palin Skool.

Anyway, Joe made me smile when he told Ellen he wanted to stay for Toni Braxton’s performance (at 4:50). partly, because it surprised me that he even knew who she was. But then my heart melted at how sweet he was to Julia Louis Dreyfus after he dunked her in the pool (for charity… I’ll get back to that). His 3rd toss smacks the target, she drops in and of course, completely drenched, but smiling and giving the thumbs up. He walks over to apologize, kisses her through the cage (to her complete delight), then he asks her if she’s cold (6:23 to the end). [sigh!] Such sweet, tenderness. I have loved him ever since. That’s my Joe!

Btw, the way, I wonder what charity that pink ribbon on the cage target represented. Hmmm… can’t think for the life of me. Anybody know? Oh the times they are a-changin’.

• 61 yardarm756
      March 7, 2012 at 9:52 pm

You gotta luv it. (jumpin’ up an down clappin my hands) judcmh!

• 62 isonprize
      March 7, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Somewhere there has GOTTA BE a picture of Joey the Shark switching ties with this guy. THERE HAS JUST GOTTA BE A PICTURE!!!!

I LOVES ME SOME JOEY!!!!

7. 63 lisalovesobama
    March 7, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Awwwwww! I love James Taylor!!

• 64 Diane
      March 7, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Me too! I bought his Sweet Baby James album in the early 70s and Mud Slide Slim–Played them over and over. He seems like such a humble soul and his voice is beautiful! It doesn’t hurt that he loves PBO!!

• 65 Dudette
      March 7, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Me too Lisa. I went to UNC and, of course, learning “Going to Carolina” was required at freshman orientation.

No problem for me though — I loved him way before then. My mom got sick of me playing Shower the People over and over and over and… you get the picture. :-)

• 66 57andFemale
      March 8, 2012 at 2:49 am

Me, too!!!!

8. 67 LOL
    March 7, 2012 at 8:46 pm

From the pic of the little boy you posted earlier Chip

“”The President then walked over to a crowd of about 100 people who were waiting, and hoping for a greeting or handshake. 6 year old Davis Marsico, a student at Indian Land Elementary, was the first person to shake Mr. Obama’s hand.

“It was like a dream come true,” Davis told WBTV. “He just shook my hand for the first time ever.”

• March 7, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Cutest thing ever, LOL – just uploaded the video and added it to the post, you’re a star ;-)

• 69 LOL
        March 7, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Yaaahhh… Perhaps you could work your youtubery magic on this video. In honor of Japa, Yardarm and all of Michelle’s *admirers* :)

This vid is her from her visit to St.Louis military folks. I have watched it at least 10 times.

March 7, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Thanks, LOL. This is a slightly different take than the one we saw before, guys. Take a look.

• 71 HZ
        March 7, 2012 at 9:51 pm

This is one of the reasons that we are all working for POB and his team…to give and opportunities and dreams like little David had today. And we want to make this little young man’s dream come true again,” To see him again.” Lets make it happen. This makes my heart sings even through all of the noise from the opposition.

Pressing on. Thanks so much, Chips for your faithfulness to us and POB on this site. Love you so very much.HZ

• 72 SUE DUVALL SMITH
        March 7, 2012 at 9:56 pm

INDEED DAVIS…I KNOW THE FEELIN’…:)

• 73 lisalovesobama
        March 7, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Awwwww. Cute! His next big goal is “to see him again!!”

• 75 nathkatun7
        March 8, 2012 at 3:19 am

What a great kid! Such a genuine excitement from a six year old because the President shook his hand. Now I know why people like Chris Matthews and Joe Sacarborough keep trying to sell us the false meme that President Obama is aloof and doesn’t relate to people. They are just jealous that the President relates so well with children and young people, and ordinary people of all ages, more than he does with the washington clique of pundits. Personally, I don’t remember any other President who was so loved by children.

• 76 Cha
      March 7, 2012 at 10:30 pm

That’s priceless..thank you, LOL & Chips!!

9. 77 geeja
    March 7, 2012 at 8:46 pm

You guys kwwp me sane!! Thank you TODers!

10. 78 geeja
    March 7, 2012 at 8:47 pm

keep (ouch)

• 79 Dudette
      March 7, 2012 at 9:54 pm

{{{hugs}}} No worries, mate! We got you. You’re among friends here. Spell check not required. :-)

• 81 Dudette
      March 7, 2012 at 10:33 pm

“God love them, as my mother would say. I hope they have another 20 debates,” Biden told more than 200 people gathered at the Renaissance Vinoy Resort in downtown St. Petersburg. :-)

11. March 7, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Guess what peoples, I found an even WORSE comic. AND ITS ON THE CAGLE PAGE!!!!!!!

Second one down.

March 7, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Just in case those of you who were busy at work today missed this, I’m sharing the Smartypants link again. It’s a reminder our Pres isn’t shy about expressing his opinion and it’s really good for a chuckle, I think.

13. March 7, 2012 at 9:06 pm

WASHINGTON (AP) — Marines will lead the U.S. troop drawdown in Afghanistan this year, reducing by about half their numbers in the key province of Helmand as Afghans move fully into the combat lead there, a top U.S. general said Wednesday.

Helmand, which has seen some of the fiercest American and allied fighting over the past two years, is transitioning to Afghan control faster than most other Taliban-contested areas of the country. Yet to be seen is whether the Afghans will manage to stand on their own as the Americans thin out.

14. March 7, 2012 at 9:10 pm

(via Breitbart)…

BREAKING NEWS: While attending Harvard law school Barack Obama was handsome and charming…..DEVELOPING….

LOL!

• 98 LOL
      March 7, 2012 at 9:11 pm

And as Chip mentioned also black!!!

• March 7, 2012 at 9:16 pm

The real scandal, though (yes, I’m watching, gulp, Hannity for some amusement), is that in 1990 PBO hugged – HUGGED – a RADICAL (Copyright: Fox) BLACK Professor. That’s it, I’m switching to the Romney camp. Bye everyone.

• March 7, 2012 at 9:25 pm

The real scandal is what’s in his pocket! Will we ever know why he keeps putting his hand in his pockets and taking them out? WHAT’S IN THE KENYAN’S POCKETS?!

March 7, 2012 at 9:28 pm

It’s a secret letter to Saul Alinsky!

• 106 LOL
          March 7, 2012 at 9:30 pm

or a love letter to Hitler.

• March 7, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Not to be confused with the letter to Bill Ayers.

• 108 nathkatun7
          March 8, 2012 at 4:26 am

Hopefruit, are you sure it wasn’t five letters and not just one? I have right wing neighbors who are absolutely convinced that President Obama (well they just call him Obama the Kenyan) had five letters, (actually one right winger even counted six), in his pocket at that Harvard rally that he kept picking at: One from Karl Marx, one from Adolph Hitler, one from Soul Alinsky, one from the terrorist, Bill Ayers, and one from an identified radical Islamist who possibly could have been his father, or Louis Farrakhan, or Prophet Muhammad himself. The possible letter # 6 which was unconfirmed might have come from the leader of the anti-colonialist Mau Mau from Kenya. According to one my right wing neighbors, who relied on the evidence from both Newt Gingrich and Denish DeSouza, swore that Barack Obama had six letters (documents), and not just five, at that 1990 Harvard rally. But not all my right wing neighbors agreed with him. They were, however open to more persuasion backed by evidence. They just didn’t trust the calims of the serial adulterer, Newt Leroy Gingrich.

I hope, also, that this helps explain to gobrooklyn “why (Barack)… keeps putting his hand in his pockets and taking them out.” He had to re-arrange all these letters he received in preparation for his take over of the United States 18 years after that fateful rally! If the late AB hadn’t been murdered by the President he would have revealed, in video, this 18 year conspiracy by President Obama to take over and destroy the U.S. (Pure Snark, though very plausible if you are a right winger!)

• 109 Dudette
        March 7, 2012 at 9:58 pm

He’s hiding is transcript!!! Arrest him!

• March 7, 2012 at 11:39 pm

His teleprompter. See how devious he was even back then. seekret mulsin. seekret teleprompter. My head spins.

• March 7, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Hannity is still looking for that next Rev Wright tape!
      He is obssessed with trying to take down this President.

And I would like to shove that nerf football up his ass!

• 114 57andFemale
      March 8, 2012 at 2:51 am

And principled. And articulate. And passionate about people. And inspiring.

The Commie……….

15. 115 OzFan
    March 7, 2012 at 9:13 pm

The full video of the Harvard Law School Video at pbs is so worth seeing

As explained at the link – “And while there does appear to be editing in the footage available, that was almost certainly done in 1990. The Ten O’Clock News practice was to store completed segments as aired along with any relevant additional footage that might be useful in the future.”

Nothing like killing a false narrative before it begins.

16. March 7, 2012 at 9:14 pm

WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. companies will have to keep hiring steadily to meet their customers’ rising demand.

That’s the message that emerged from a report Wednesday that employers are finding it harder to squeeze more output from their existing staff. It also helps explain why ADP, a payroll provider, estimated Wednesday that companies added 216,000 workers last month.

Those findings reinforced confidence that 2012 will mark a turning point for the long-suffering job market and the economy. Applications for unemployment benefits have tumbled. Consumer confidence is at its highest point in a year. And the stock market has been on a tear since the year began.

Feeding on themselves, those trends tend to fuel further economic growth.

17. March 7, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Evening all :-)

After working all night, I am finally done with the worst of my project! I’m so dead tired, I’m planning on catching up on what happened today on TOD, and just going to be.

I do want to share something on Romney. I tweeted this on twitlonger, but thought I would share here as well. :-)

Reading Vanity Fair article on #Romney,several major reasons why #MittRomney would be a terrible President struck me -aside from the obvious! http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/2012/02/mitt-romney-201202

In my opinion:
    1. #Romney is NOT a risk taker:
    If you are going to be Commander in Chief, you will have to take risks & be bold on occasion. As #PresidentObama has demonstrated OVER &OVER;AGAIN! When #PresObama gave the order to hunt down Bin Laden! #Romney has claimed that he would have done the same thing, but he has shown time and time again, he will always take the cowardly & cautious approach. If it looks like it’s going to make him look bad or make him uncomfortable, he won’t do it! He wouldn’t even take the job of running Bain Capital, unless it was GUARANTEED that he would get his old job back, if it failed. Thousands of Americans, take risks, going out on their own, building their own business. But Romney wouldn’t!!

2. #Romney is socially dysfunctional:
    He is patently uncomfortable with people outside of his family. This suggests #Romney would be a horrible statesman. How can you work with world leaders, if you can’t have friendly conversations and be comfortable socially? If you can’t have good working relationships, you can not forge partnerships.

3. #Romney is anachronistic:
    He does not have modern views on cultural aspects of our society, and women! He will avoid social issues, such as Marriage equality etc. The excerpts on #Romney and his role as Church leader, shows a man with a warped sense of society, especially the role of women. How can you be President of the 21st Century, but have social view from 1800s? I thought it odd, how his “wife Ann was not considered to be sympathetic to the agitation of liberal women within the stake….She was, in the words of one member, understood to be “not that kind of woman.”

4. #Romney over thinks, to the point of analysis paralysis:
    He couldn’t bring himself to take the job initially offered to him to run Bain Capital, because he was worried about failing! “He was troubled when we didn’t invest fast enough; he was troubled when we made an investment,” said Bain partner Coleman Andrews.

5. #Romney does not succeed outside the script:
    #PresidentObama has faced challenge after challenge, many coming unexpectedly. If you are going to be President, you have to be agile and be able to adapt to ever changing situations without freaking out. #Romney can’t even handle a question being asked of him that he didn’t expect! He ignores and just repeats his script. Look at how he handled releasing his tax returns. When pushed outside of his plan or script, he makes major gaffes or bad decisions! That does not lead to success for a President.

Of course obvious reasons that #Romney would be a HORRIBLE president? He has no principle, other than himself. He lies and is untrustworthy. And lastly his economic philosophy & budget plans would destroy America.

• March 7, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Wow excellent analysis!! Absolutely right on everything. His lack of social skills really disturb me. Its not just shyness like most people. Its like he and his family just lived in a cocoon all their lives. Actually what really disturbs me about Romney is the way he spoke about Michigan. I mentioned this before but who in the world uses such generic phrases to describe their childhood home? Trees are the right height? ‘All the lakes, the big lakes and the little lakes’ -????? Dude sounds like he never left his house and then couldn’t wait to get the hell out of MI.

He can’t connect with anyone outside of the very rich and he has no interest in learning how to.

• March 7, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Plus, I definitely would not want him getting the 3AM call.

• March 7, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I have really begun to wonder of Romney has some form of Asberger’s Syndrome. He seems so socially obtuse with an inability to personally connect with people. This can’t all be explained by his privileged background & his cult-like religion. It’s almost like he lives in some kind of disconnected alternate universe & just can’t “get it.” I would feel sorry for him except this dinkwad wants to be our president.

• March 7, 2012 at 10:36 pm

LOL…pretty much THIS.

March 7, 2012 at 10:40 pm

AG, I suggested this weeks ago, and those here who responded did feel it was his privileged background that underlay his behaviour. Frankly, I am not convinced by that explanation alone, though I will admit that it no doubt plays a part. Discounting the lying for a moment, the things I see in Willard very, very closely mimic a couple of youngsters I knew who had Asperger’s. I think if it were solely privilege, he would have tempered it already during this long process, because there’s no doubt that he really, REALLY wants to win. IMO, Willard hasn’t made changes because he cannot. He doesn’t SEE anything wrong with his approach, not solely because he’s rich. I do believe he is literally clueless in this regard and has no social skills. The latter I think has been cemented over the years because of his position and wealth (that’s where the privilege comes in I think). Willard doesn’t interact well socially because he cannot read social cues. You just have to watch him in action to see this.

• 125 Cha
          March 7, 2012 at 10:48 pm

willard reads just like a sociopath to me..and his dog, Seamus, didn’t receive any bette treatment than the people he insults with his pathological lying.

March 7, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Sometimes, I think, some people just can’t LEARN to connect if something is missing in their wiring.

• 129 Obama Grandmama
        March 7, 2012 at 11:18 pm

I saw that same weirdness in his recitation of the song lyrics Of Davie Crockett too. It was as if that was the only thing he could have thought of to relate to a TN audience. What would it be like in a foreign country where you need to have some savy not to get in trouble with etiquette in another culture? He could be totally rude without even knowing it. Even just hearing his foreign policy talk is scary.

• 130 vitaminlover
          March 8, 2012 at 12:32 am

I bet every morning he has little sticky notes around him from his wife or maid saying “Put on your underwear first, then your socks, then your tee shirt, here is the shirt you will wear today, here are the pants/jeans you will wear today. Put on your socks. Now put on your shoes. Now go to the bathroom and comb your hair. Now wash your face and brush your teeth. Now go downstairs to eat your food.” Did you notice that there weren’t any big hard words for him? This is what they think will run for President?

March 7, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Good points, PB. As added ammunition for #1, didn’t he also need reassurance his Bain job would be waiting for him when he finished with the Olympics, or am I confusing that bit of info?

• 133 EDP4BHO
        March 7, 2012 at 10:26 pm

VC, thanks for the video of MHP. I just finished watching the entire event, and must say, she is as brilliant as she is sometimes baffling..:-D
        I especially loved the ending, as you noted. With that, I am going to bed, and will read the rest of this thread tomorrow. Nite TOD. Behave yourselves, and Chips, bind them if they don’t!!

March 7, 2012 at 10:45 pm

My pleasure, Edp, and your choice of ‘baffling’ to describe her really helped. She has made me uneasy off and on for quite some time and I hadn’t really assigned a mental label as to the reason. ‘Baffling’ works quite nicely, thanks! Sleep tight!

18. March 7, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Thursday Mar. 8, 2012
    11:00 AM
    11:15 AM
    Obama receives the presidential daily briefing.
    12:00 PM
    Obama meets with senior advisors.
    12:30 PM
    Carney briefs the press.
    3:30 PM
    Obama hosts President John Evans Atta Mills of Ghana for a meeting.
    5:35 PM
     Obama and Michelle Obama have dinner with winners of a campaign contest.

March 7, 2012 at 9:29 pm

At tomorrow’s press briefing, will the jackals ask Jay about the Havard tape?

March 7, 2012 at 9:30 pm
  21. 142 LOL
    March 7, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Hey Guys I think we should start a new meme “Obama hugging radicals”

photo/1

22. March 7, 2012 at 9:46 pm

COLUMBUS, Ohio — President Barack Obama’s re-election campaign is, at its heart, a numbers-driven operation. And among the many mathematically based presentations it gives is a slideshow showing five distinct pathways to winning re-election.
    The slideshow contains geographic breakdowns of the electoral map that use different strategies to amass 270 Electoral College votes. The fourth, and perhaps most attainable, of the strategies is the “Midwest Path.” It involves winning the states Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) won in his 2004 presidential race and adding Iowa and Ohio. The former is likely to end up in the Obama column this November. Ohio, however, is a much more complicated — and for the Obama campaign, scary — proposition.
    When it comes to the Buckeye State, the president’s political advisers have been in general election mode for months, undertaking what could be the most extensive presidential campaign ever launched across the state. And it’s being driven, in part, by fear that even exhaustive retail politicking might not be enough.

23. March 7, 2012 at 9:47 pm
  24. March 7, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Good grief. Here is Ron Pauls ad in Hawaii.-

It takes America all the way back to 1789!

25. 164 Ladyhawke
    March 7, 2012 at 9:57 pm

The Words Of A Leader: 60 President Obama Quotes That Put Republicans To Shame

By Stephen D. Foster Jr.

———————————————————

33. “With the magnitude of the challenges we face right now, what we need in Washington are not more political tactics — we need more good ideas. We don’t need more point-scoring — we need more problem-solving.”
    ~Barack Obama, press conference, March 17, 2009

35. “You know, there’s a lot of talk in this country about the federal deficit. But I think we should talk more about our empathy deficit – the ability to put ourselves in someone else’s shoes; to see the world through the eyes of those who are different from us – the child who’s hungry, the steelworker who’s been laid-off, the family who lost the entire life they built together when the storm came to town. When you think like this – when you choose to broaden your ambit of concern and empathize with the plight of others, whether they are close friends or distant strangers – it becomes harder not to act; harder not to help.”
    ~Barack Obama, speech, August 2006

——————————————————-

26. 165 Hachikō
    March 7, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Does anyone here know what it is Prof. Bell supposedly wrote that’s supposed to be “radical and nefarious”?

27. March 7, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Earth’s magnetic field is about to be shaken like a snow globe by the largest solar storm in five years.

After hurtling through space for a day and a half, a massive cloud of charged particles is due to arrive early Thursday and could disrupt utility grids, airline flights, satellite networks and GPS services, especially in northern areas. But the same blast could also paint colorful auroras farther from the poles than normal.

Scientists say the storm, which started with a massive solar flare earlier in the week, is growing as it races outward from the sun, expanding like a giant soap bubble. When it strikes early Thursday, the particles will be moving at 4 million mph.

“It’s hitting us right in the nose,’’ said Joe Kunches, a scientist for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in Boulder, Colo.

March 7, 2012 at 10:05 pm
  29. 169 Hachikō
    March 7, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Let’s see if this works. It’s hilarious…

30. March 7, 2012 at 10:13 pm

This is an OT comment but I thought that pic of PBO & the crowd taken in the reflection of someone’s sun glasses posted in the last blog was totally DA BOMB!!! That is ART PHOTOGRAPHY!!!

31. March 7, 2012 at 10:16 pm

There goes Obama “indoctrinating our children” again.

Thx Chips, love that video.

March 7, 2012 at 10:17 pm

LOD is going to talk about the Fox News Harvard speech non-troversy.

33. March 7, 2012 at 10:20 pm

“..I think of him as almost uniquely honest in this political world.”

+1 James, +1.

34. 179 globalcitizenlinda
    March 7, 2012 at 10:21 pm

please Chips, LOL and the TOD, I humbly request that you include in “hug-gate”, a couple of the future and current “young radicals” (i.e. the kids).

how about also including all Obama-hugs with other world leaders??

March 7, 2012 at 10:26 pm

I will piggyback on your request citizenlinda and ask that Chips also post the footage from a couple weeks ago when PBO signed the payroll tax extension bill and someone in the audience exclaimed “Everybody needs a hug from Obama!”

• 183 Dudette
      March 7, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Hey, a video slideshow of PBO Hugs!!! Please oh please oh pretty please Chips!!!!!!!

• March 7, 2012 at 10:31 pm

What the hell is this hug gate ?

• March 7, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Hiya amk, Hannity had the Breitbart jerks on tonight with their EXPLOSIVE video of ….. a young Barack Obama hugging RADICAL BLACK Professor Derrick Bell in Harvard in 1990. And that was about it: the hug was the, um, scandal – signifying that PBO, eh, hates white people? It was comedy gold.

• March 7, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Oh gawd. And these fuckers are paid to do this shit. Only in amurikkka.

• 187 JoJothecat
          March 8, 2012 at 1:17 am

Chips, I heard on the radio that Obama plotted several years to support this professor and raise money for his future election as president. This plot included getting several radical millionaire liberals to fund his election to destroy america. I kid you not.

35. 188 Dudette
    March 7, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Are you frickin’ KIDDING ME?

Group sues for Michelle Obama vacation records

A conservative legal group is suing the U.S. Air Force for access to first lady Michelle Obama‘s travel records from a 2010 vacation to Spain.

Judicial Watch filed suit Tuesday in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia for access to all records pertaining to an August 2010 vacation taken by the first lady and her daughters — including cost estimates and passenger manifests.

“Evidently, American taxpayers were stuck with a sizable bill so Mrs. Obama could tour around Spain with her family and friends, This administration, as a supposed steward of taxpayer dollars, has an obligation to disclose the full costs of the Obama family’s luxury trip,” said Judicial Watch president Tom Fitton in a statement.

The White House has insisted that the Spanish vacation was paid for by the Obama family — but taxpayers generally pick up the tab for security and other assorted costs.

——-

Oh wait… I clicked on the Source link and it turns out it’s from Lord Byron Tau at GOPolitico (dated yesterday). Y’all might’ve covered that already – I didn’t make it through all of yesterday’s posts)

But… Really?!!! Damn the hate!!

March 7, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Dudette, they are wackos and they are pitiful.

• March 8, 2012 at 1:48 am

I hope when they fulfill this request, they include the costs of all other first ladies who travelled with their children around the world, including former First Lady Laura Bush, who travelled with her twin daughters to Africa (if I remember correctly) and labelled them as “staff”, which likely qualified them for taxpayers to pick up the tab.That should keep them busy.

• 191 57andFemale
      March 8, 2012 at 3:01 am

By all means, file a lawsuit based on some RW talker who said FLOTUS took an entourage of 8,000 people and they partied the whole time.

This whole thing came up at the time, I believe the record was set straight with actual facts.

March 7, 2012 at 10:23 pm

ROTFLMAO!

37. 193 CTGirl
    March 7, 2012 at 10:40 pm

I have no words, this is Melissa Harris Perry on twitter

• March 8, 2012 at 12:14 am

What in the world? Lost her way somewhere along the way.

• 196 JoJothecat
      March 8, 2012 at 1:09 am

They ALL stick together, it does not matter, Police stick with corrupt police, GOP stick with corrupt GOP, media personalities stick with corrupt media personalities, name the profession, it appears they will protect one another.

• March 8, 2012 at 1:52 am

I’m glad I’ve only watched her show once. She has moments of brilliance, and then many other moments that disappoint so thoroughly. And, she’s a teacher! I’m so offended.

March 8, 2012 at 6:37 am

I’m not saying that the left doesn’t go to far at times, we can agree on that. But sometimes I wonder about Melissa Harris Perry. I don’t like her as much as I thought I would. I have not watched her show yet. Don’t know if I will.

38. 199 Beverly Crosson
    March 7, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Thank you, Chipsticks, for these wonderful posts – the comics are so right on, and the pictures taken of our president are priceless (James Taylor, what an incredible supporter – WOW). I look forward to your posts every single day – they keep me up to date and able to play the important and true information forward to my friends, colleagues, anyone who presents an opportunity. I am so grateful to you! I am sure you see a lot of darkness by putting yourself out here, but please know how much your work is valued!!

39. 201 vitaminlover
    March 7, 2012 at 10:42 pm

There are many reasons that I am voting for President Obama again. Here are the important reasons– He is so handsome. He is so smart and I can’t help but notice this. He is a cool dresser. He looks fabulous in suits and tuxes during extra special events. He speaks well. He has a gorgeous wife. He is gorgeous himself. His children are gorgeous. I really like him. I like that charisma he has going for him. He has great teeth. He is tall. He is slim. He never sweats except on the basketball court. He can wear anything. I like the sunglasses that he wears. I know–shallow but I don’t care. Now there are deeper reasons that I will be voting for him but right now I am more into the external.

40. 222 Dudette
    March 7, 2012 at 10:49 pm

“You can’t find pulled pork, not decent pulled pork in Massachusetts,” (singer James) Taylor said. “We tend to kind of stock up on things we can’t get up north when we come home to North Carolina.”

I feel him on that. Can’t find it in Georgia either. Not the good Carolina stuff anyway.

41. March 7, 2012 at 11:00 pm

The short list for the World Bank-

Susan Rice, John Kerry and Larry Summers-

Even Bill Gates got a look…

• March 8, 2012 at 1:59 am

I hope they don’t take Susan Rice away from the UN – she’s been fierce there. I can’t see Larry Summers in that role, after he reportedly fought with others on the President’s Economic Advisory team. I thought they were lining up John Kerry for the SOS position, once Hillary moves on? I wonder if she’s planning to stay in place – she’ll have a lot more freedom in President Obama’s second term to do more of the development work. This is an interesting one to watch!

• 225 Dudette
        March 8, 2012 at 2:42 am

I agree Rice has been excellent at the U.N., but I could see her fitting in the SOS role, if she wants a change. Kerry would be okay at U.N. (wouldn’t he?). Summers did a stint as World Bank Chief Ecnomist, so that keeps him high on the last for that role. Although I wonder if the President would break from tradition and install someone from another country as was suggested in the article. Man, that would get the Repubs howling!

42. March 7, 2012 at 11:00 pm
  43. 228 anniebella
    March 7, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Was it on Martin Bashir who said that G.W. Bush carried Rush Limbaugh bags up to the Lincoln Bedroom when Rush spent the night? What happen to the butlers? They are so afraid of Rush that the President Bush would carry his bags upstairs.

44. March 7, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Here is the invitation fundraiser bowling for dollars with Michelle Obama -

This is cool! Jim Messina thinks of everything!

45. 233 LOL
    March 7, 2012 at 11:19 pm

And on this note—-Good Night Boys and Girls..

March 7, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Good night all.

• 235 JoJothecat
      March 8, 2012 at 12:54 am

Oh noes, how can i vote for someone who refuses to read the itunes terms of service? what other Terms of Services has he failed to read? is there a plot to do away with this very important function in society…this is how it begins, with each diabolical refusal to click “agreed”.

46. 236 globalcitizenlinda
    March 7, 2012 at 11:30 pm

chips, given your “record”, in response to the crazy rightwingers, I suspect that you are one of those largely responsible for the trend on hug-gate that has laughing uncontrollably about all the fun photos of the O-hug/POTUS people are having everywhere now.

and to think that in response to hug-gate people are still responsibly posting POTUS hugging whomever, can you imagine how long hug-gate would last if it included hugs from both POTUS and FLOTUS??

In fact, a few days ago I was thinking to my self that I could conduct a research project to document how many hugs FLOTUS alone has given since she came onto the public scene – little did I know that this would be a matter of national emergency a few days latter!!!

47. March 7, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Ray Mabus took shit in his budget hearing about a Green Fleet for the Navy-

Confronting the secretary of the Navy, an obviously frustrated Rep. Randy Forbes pounded his desk in a five-minute scolding over the service’s push for an ever greener fleet.

“You’re not the secretary of the energy, you’re secretary of the Navy,” the Virginia Republican told Ray Mabus in no uncertain terms.

48. March 7, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Phoenix and Arizona Public Service officials, NBA Phoenix Suns executives and point guard Steve Nash on Monday switched on 966 solar panels on the roof of US Airways Center parking garage. They’ve named it the APS Suns Powered Solar Structure.

49. March 7, 2012 at 11:43 pm

I am watching Jennifers Body on FX, Megyn Fox truly is possessed!

50. 241 vitaminlover
    March 7, 2012 at 11:43 pm

OK, now here are the deeper reasons that I am voting for President Obama, again. He loves people. He has the welfare of Americans in his heart and on his mind. He is truly a kind person. He very much loves Mrs. Obama with deep love and respect and passion. He is real not a phony. He loves his daughters like a very good father. He walks the walk and talks the talk. He is a quick learner and he accomplishes what he sets out to do. He is a team player and he inspires confidence in people. People love him and he doesn’t abuse it. He is trustworthy and honest. He is a college graduate and can back up his education. He took out Bin Laden. He saved Detroit. He is an achiever and a hard worker and would not ask anyone to do what he would not do. His dog, Bo loves him. Babies and young children love him. Heck, all ages from all walks of life love him! There those are some of the deeper reasons that I shall vote for President RE-ELECT Obama.

51. March 8, 2012 at 12:20 am

Mitt Romney is quick to point to his laundry list of powerful supporters on Capitol Hill who see him as the best candidate to take on President Barack Obama this fall.

But in many cases, those endorsements have fallen flat.

Romney has been trounced in several states where he has received key congressional endorsements, the latest sign of the waning influence of the Washington establishment on GOP primary voters. On Super Tuesday, Romney had the support of Sens. Tom Coburn, the conservative stalwart from Oklahoma, John Hoeven, a popular former governor from North Dakota, and Lamar Alexander, a longtime figure in Tennessee politics.

He lost all three states handsomely to Rick Santorum.

Karma.

March 8, 2012 at 12:24 am

Dialoguing at TODville has made for a full, and fulfilling day. Thank you all and G’Night remaining TODobots!

53. 248 yardarm756
    March 8, 2012 at 1:17 am

Taps!

54. 249 Dudette
    March 8, 2012 at 1:28 am

Just watched Jon Stewarts great segment with Cecile Richards, President of Planned Parenthood. Can’t wait for the video to come out so we can share it!!

55. 251 Dudette
    March 8, 2012 at 1:47 am

Robert Deniro, Whoopi Goldberg to Host First Lady Michelle Obama for Fundraiser

President Obama was in New York last week for big-ticket fundraisers, reportedly raising close to $5 million, and now the Big Apple is getting some love from First Lady Michelle Obama, who will continue her busy schedule of fundraising on Monday, March 19th. Mrs. Obama will attend a cocktail reception hosted by Robert De Niro and his wife Grace Hightower De Niro, as well as Whoopi Goldberg, TV commentator Star Jones, actors Angela Bassett, Lynn Whitfield, and Alfre Woodard; Tina Knowles, mom of Beyonce. Tonya Lewis Lee, wife of film director Spike Lee, who previously hosted a dinner fundraiser for the President in their New York Home home a few months ago, is also a host… (more in the article)

March 8, 2012 at 6:12 am

Dudette, Looks like a nice fundraiser by Mr De Niro and Whoopi. One problem though , in reading who was suppose to attend, I didn’t see my name. i am so disappointed. :(

56. 253 Dudette
    March 8, 2012 at 1:55 am

USDA Launches Program To Test Impact Of “Direct Certification” For Free School Meals
    Schools in six states will use Medicaid data to enroll eligible low-income students in federal meal program; results reported to Congress

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vislack announced today that six states will participate in a pilot program designed to study whether or not “direct certification” makes it easier for children to receive federally funded school meals. During the demonstration projects, run in partnership with USDA’s Food and Nutrition Service, eligible low-income children in schools in Alaska, Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, New York and Pennsylvania will automatically receive free school meals based on information recorded with Medicaid. The pilots begin on July 1, for the 2012-2013 school year. The Food and Nutrition Service will conduct a formal study to evaluate the effectiveness of the projects, and the results will be published in reports to Congress in 2014 and 2015…

…The pilot projects are possible thanks to the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, the legislative centerpiece of First Lady Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move! campaign. The passage of the Act “marks the first time that states have been allowed to test” the impact of direct certification, USDA said. The First Lady and Sec. Vilsack unveiled USDA’s new nutrition standards for school meals in January. A second set of guidelines, for foods sold in a la carte and vending machines in schools, has not yet been released. These will be released soon, Vilsack said today, during a Senate hearing.

Kentucky and Pennsylvania plan to conduct statewide demonstration projects, while the other states will run their programs “in select locations.”
    (more in the article)

57. 254 Dudette
    March 8, 2012 at 2:23 am

Way way wayyyyy off-topic:

Everyone’s entitled to their own artistic expression and the blurb that goes with her pics gives you a hint at her story, so I’ll just say… “Wow”!

Maria Jose Cristerna, a mother of four, tattoo artist and former lawyer, poses for a photograph at her home in Guadalajara March 7, 2012. Cristerna, who is dubbed “Vampire Woman” but prefers to be identified as “Jaguar Woman”, had her first tattoo when she was 14 and decided to physically transform herself after having gone through 10 years of domestic violence in her first marriage. Women in Mexico celebrate International Women’s Day on March 8.

58. 255 Dudette
    March 8, 2012 at 2:50 am

Just wanna give VPOTUS some love for his trip to Honduras and Mexico this past Sunday and Monday.

Nice recap on the White House blog here:

March 5, 2012. (Official White House Photo by David Lienemann)

This week, Vice President Biden traveled to Mexico and Honduras as part of the administration’s sustained, high-level engagement with the Americas. The Vice President’s visit comes in advance of the President’s participation in the Summit of the Americas this April in Colombia, which will focus on leveraging Hemispheric connections and partnerships to improve the lives of people throughout the region….(more details in the article)

——————–

Photo Slideshow here:

• 256 Dudette
      March 8, 2012 at 3:04 am

From Honduras – “Family Photo”:

Dominican Republic’s Foreign Minister Carlos Morales, Nicaragua’s President Daniel Ortega, El Salvador’s President Mauricio Funes, U.S. Vice President Joe Biden, Honduras’ President Porfirio Lobo, Costa Rica’s President Laura Chinchilla, Guatemala’s President Otto Perez and Panama’s President Ricardo Martinelli pose for an official photo in Tegucigalpa March 6, 2012.

59. 257 Dudette
    March 8, 2012 at 2:56 am

Vice President Biden Visits the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico City

Capping his day of official activities in Mexico City yesterday, Vice President Biden visited the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe – one of the most visited Roman Catholic sites in the world and the most holy Roman Catholic site in Mexico.

After touring and saying a prayer at the shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe, the Vice President crossed the Basilica square to visit the Antigua Parrogquia de Los Indios (Old Church of the Indians). Calling the site a “great treasure,” Vice President Biden remarked that he would have come to Mexico City if only just to see the Basilica.

60. 258 Dudette
    March 8, 2012 at 3:01 am

Biden tells CentAm US determined to defeat gangs

TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras — Vice President Joe Biden told Central American leaders that the United States is determined to defeat transnational gangs and continue funding an offensive against drug traffickers, but didn’t publicly address the debate of drug legalization proposed in the region.

Still, Central American presidents insisted they will talk about decriminalizing narcotics in a meeting scheduled in two weeks, according to a joint statement read after the meeting with Biden.

Biden said the U.S. government has financially supported a regional security plan and is seeking more money to help Central American countries fight drug cartels, accused of causing a spike in murders.

Guatemalan President Otto Perez has said he favors a debate about legalizing drugs as a way to decrease cartel violence.

On Monday, during a visit to Mexico, Biden said Washington doesn’t think that is the answer and will not legalize drugs.

After arriving in Honduras’ capital for Tuesday’s meeting, Perez didn’t say whether he would bring up drug legalization at the session. But speaking at the Tegucigalpa airport, Perez said it was an opportune time to discuss “organized crime, drug trafficking and the problems the region faces.”

Honduras President Porfirio Lobo read a joint statement after Biden’s visit, which said the countries had decided to further discuss Perez’s legalization proposal in a meeting on March 24… (more in the article)

61. 259 susanne
    March 8, 2012 at 4:57 am

i went to the dem precinct meeting in our tiny town tonight, and i got to cast a ballot for president obama! that felt soooooo goooooood!!!! okay, time for lights out, todville.

62. 260 anniebella
    March 8, 2012 at 6:16 am

I have always like James Taylor, specially now that he supports our President.

63. 261 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    March 8, 2012 at 7:10 am

I LOVE THE EARLY VIDEO OF STUDENT BARACK AT HARVARD. COMPASSION IS A GIFT TO THE SOUL AND IT FOLLOWS YOU ALL THE DAYS OF YOUR LIFE. YOU CAN’T HELP BUT FEEL FOR OTHERS AND THEIR STRUGGLES FOR EQUALITY…BARACK THE STUDENT IS INDEED GREAT EVIDENCE OF BARACK THE MAN WHOM WE ARE BLESSED WITH AS COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF. I WOULDN’T HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY!

64. March 8, 2012 at 7:49 am

Good morning, lovely people of TOD family! I’ve been gone for almost a week and have suffered MAJOR withdrawal symptoms, and I mean MAJOR! I’m here for my fix today, I see there’s plenty. Happy day!

I’ve missed you all SO much! I can’t believe how much I fall in love with each and every one one of you individually every time I read you. It truly is a family. Well, I’m off to catch up on all the past threads.

65. March 8, 2012 at 7:50 am

Ooooooooh, if only I could trade places with Callista for JUST ONE NIGHT!

66. March 8, 2012 at 7:58 am