Mar

dinner guests

ReGina Newkirk (top L), a non-profit executive from Nashville, Tennessee, Robert Newkirk, Sr. (bottom L), a professor at Tennessee State University from Nashville, Cathleen Loringer (C), a former social worker from Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, and her guest John Loringer, an attorney from Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, and Judy Glassman (R), a retired school administrator from Cambridge, Massachusetts

President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama have dinner with winners of a Democratic campaign contest at the Boundary Road restaurant in Washington, DC, March 8

Friday:

10:40: PBO departs the White House en route Joint Base Andrews

11:35: Arrives Richmond, Virginia

12:15: Tours Rolls-Royce Crosspointe

12:30: Delivers remarks at Rolls-Royce Crosspointe

2:40: Departs Richmond, Virginia en route Houston, Texas

3:40: Arrives Houston

4:50: Delivers remarks at a campaign event

6:50: Delivers remarks at a campaign event

8:10: Departs Houston

President Barack Obama meets with Chief of Staff Jack Lew, Gene Sperling, Director of the National Economic Council, and Alan Krueger, Council of Economic Advisers Chair, in the Oval Office, March 8, 2012. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

376 Responses to “dinner guests”

1. March 8, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Cautiously wondering,…

• 2 nospin
      March 8, 2012 at 6:16 pm

congratulations Mary Jones

**tosses the confetti**

• March 8, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Winner! Well done Mary ;-)

• March 8, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I’m speechless! I’d like to thank everyone who helped me to this crowning achievement, especially my daughter who rebuilt my computer last year…(and I apologize to that faithful piece of technology that I was…mmm…cursing…mmm as I waited for it to upload…)

• 5 utaustinliberal
          March 8, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Hahahahaha…your computer told me to tell you, apology accepted.

• March 8, 2012 at 8:05 pm

CONGRATULATIONS! And the best part? There’s no warning music to tell you your time is up ;-)

• March 8, 2012 at 8:15 pm

The funny part is that since being first I’ve been so stunned I haven’t said anything else all night! And I’d just like to add that if any of you ladies happen to win dinner with the Obamas and are too worried about a faux pas, I will graciously take that worry off your hands if you will just send your ticket to me!

March 8, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Mary Jones – Congrats! So funny, I think I once had that computer’s older brother!

• March 8, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Sorry for a belated thank you for that great picture! I’ll think of FLOTUS cheering me on when I head back to school tomorrow! Also, I just read a diary on DK that was really good. It was from David Harris Gershon, and it was entitled Dear President Obama: I’m sorry. It begins by talking about his enthusiasm during the 2008 election: I believed in you, despite my natural-born cynicism and grounded understanding of our political system’s current dysfunction. I believed in you not because of your campaign rhetoric, but because of the deep sincerity I intuited in that rhetoric.”

After the election he allowed his cynical side to take over. “And then something changed after you assumed the presidency. Over time, I became somewhat disillusioned, reverting to my former, cynical self. Over the last three years, I have done little to praise you.

The truth is, I have mainly critiqued you.” He goes into a list of the things he critiqued. Then:

“And while I still stand by some of my critiques, after looking at the socially-prehistoric and dishonest candidates being offered by the GOP, and after looking more closely and honestly at your own presidency, I have come to realize the following:

Not only must I praise you, but I must praise you
        for being the greatest President of my lifetime.
        More than praise you, what I really must say is thank you.”

He then goes on the list all of the things he should be thanking the president for and ends with this:

“I’m sorry I have not given you the proper credit you deserve, and I pledge, from now on, to not just focus on my critiques of you in my writing, but also on those things for which you deserve praise.

Please forgive me.”

I realize this is a long post, but I know you don’t like to link to that site. I don’t read there – I found the link in my twitter feed. I just tought that it was important that this man is realizing what is actually going on in the world and has the humility to view himself critically. Angry as I am at them, I hope that more people like him will want to come back ‘into the fold’ and will be welcomed.

• 13 Dudette
      March 8, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Woot! Way to go MJ!!

2. 14 amari10
    March 8, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Beautiful pics.

3. 16 Judith Fardig
    March 8, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Wow – imagine the thrill of eating a meal and talking like old friends with not just one but two awesome Obamas! Hope the campsign keeps this up.

4. 24 Judith Fardig
    March 8, 2012 at 6:18 pm

oops – campaign

5. 25 a4alice
    March 8, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I wish it was me having dinner! Congrats on 1st Mary! I’ve been working all day so haven’t had time to look and am out again to do a phone bank but hope everyone has had a wonderful day! Hey I’ll try to get a pic – we’re at a bakery – help me! :-)

See ya guys!

6. 26 Ladyhawke
    March 8, 2012 at 6:20 pm

From Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi

SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT ON GAS PRICES (IN CHARTS)

==============================

Last week, Speaker Boehner claimed that “the price of gasoline is driven by two factors. It’s driven by supply and it’s driven by demand.” Right now we’re seeing high gas prices across the country, but it’s not because of supply and demand–in fact, supply is up and demand is down.

==============================

7. 27 Ladyhawke
    March 8, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Pelosi Statement on International Women’s Day

8. 28 vitaminlover
    March 8, 2012 at 6:23 pm

One day, one day my husband and me will get to dine with them.

• 29 Proud former White House intern
      March 8, 2012 at 6:35 pm

What would you say? Do you think you would be able to eat in front of them, I know I couldn’t do it I would be to nervous.

• March 8, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I couldn’t do it… I’ve already decided that should I ever win, I’d give it away (if possible) to my sons. I’d embarras myself so badly.

March 8, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Perhaps I’d have a bit of soup. And a glass of water. That’s it!

• 58 vitaminlover
        March 8, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Well, here’s the plan. After I am revived with smelling salts from being so close to them and my husband looking at me and shaking his head, I will proceed to make pleasant conversation and tell them how grateful and thankful for the opportunity to meet and dine with them. Then I will mention this wonderful Obama diary–yes I will work that in–then listen to what they have to say and then hope that the blood doesn’t drain from my head as they spoke with me. I would do my best to maintain my composure and be quietly praying for mercy from God.

March 8, 2012 at 7:23 pm

LOL! Then PBO flashes you that megawatt smile and you’re back on the floor with the smelling salts…

• 60 utaustinliberal
            March 8, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Hahahaha. So true.

• 61 HZ
              March 8, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Vitaminlover, when you mention the Obama diary, I can hear POB asking you,” Oh, yes Vitaminlover, I want to know what that ‘Naughty Mat’ looks like.” When I visit the site, I have yet to see it, but I see how a lot of you all there need to end up on it everyday. You all keep Chipsticks very busy.” Table laughter big time.

Then FlOTUS would inserts her remarks on our reference to the famous ‘cocoa butter.’ Great stuff.HZ

• 62 yardarm756
                March 8, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Never you mind about the cocoa butter HZ. Mind your own business and worry ’bout your mats. :-D

• March 8, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Yes, all he would have to do is crack that smile and it’s a wrap baby. That’s if I hadn’t already passed out from sucking in my stomach around Michelle or from wearing quadruple Spanx. :0

• 64 vitaminlover
            March 8, 2012 at 9:52 pm

LOL!!

March 8, 2012 at 6:53 pm

vitaminlover, maybe you and your husband will dine with FLOTUS and POTUS, sometime in the second term, or maybe you will be invited to the White House.

March 8, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I am going to tell you guys, I don’t know if I could handle it. Having dinner with the President and First Lady. I would be so darn nervous, I probably would be shaking. And don’t mention eating any thing, holy cow. Everyone loves nice. Can’t wait to hear what the people think of FLOTUS and POTUS.

• 67 GGail
          March 8, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I would be so overwhelmed in their presence, that tears would be rolling down my cheeks and my nose would be running and I would have no control over any of it. HA!

• March 8, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Actually, I think most of us would have no problem at all. Sure we might be nervous at first, but this man and this wonderful lady have a knack for putting people at ease. I think th nerves would last up til his smile and first question. I think he would ask you about yourself, something specil about what you do or have done, as I have a strong hunch he has his people check and see what interests you, what your hobbies are, etc.

Yep, I bet the nerves wouldn’t last 10 seconds once you were in the room with him. Or her.

• March 8, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Who are you kidding, Japa? One look from FLOTUS and you’d be in need of smelling salts, too! : D

• 71 yardarm756
              March 8, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Idunno japa21 some of the ladies on this site are hot to trot with no place to race. :lol:

March 8, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I am waiting for Ann and Mitt to try to do the same thing. Have dinner with Mitt and Ann Romney. :(

• 73 yardarm756
                  March 8, 2012 at 10:16 pm

NOT!

• 74 miss pat
                    March 9, 2012 at 8:09 am

Ann and Mitt do not mix with the common folks. Imagine a hillibilly mountain man with one tooth and his wife with two teeth meeting them at the restuarant in their Come to Jesus Sunday outfit. They carry their good shoes in a bag and change from the heavy boots at the steps of the fancy restuarant. They will bring a present of some moonshine for the president and a peach pie for the first lady. We Dems have class. Look at those people at that table, educated slobs, snotty elites.

• 76 Obama Grandmama
                  March 9, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I read somewhere when Mitt started appealing to regular donors he did put in an offer to have a dinner with him ot them, not sure which. It was an obvious copycat plan from our President.

• 77 vitaminlover
        March 8, 2012 at 10:01 pm

That will be a great honor, anniebella. I am keeping faith for it.

• March 8, 2012 at 9:42 pm

VL, hope is good. I must say this promise of the dinner is so effective that I always respond to it, even when it’s a budget stretch. Just the thought of it is like winning the lottery.

• 79 vitaminlover
        March 8, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Yes, Jackie, hope is good. After all that is what President Obama’s campaign was all about.

March 8, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Willard tells us about his nightly routine:

// I admit that by the end of the day I am tired, and I mean I always eat something at the end of the day. My favorite is cold cereal, so I try to eat some cold cereal at the end of the day. And I’ve had a full tummy and a long day puts me right to bed. //

• March 8, 2012 at 6:38 pm

wowzer.. cold cereal.. tummy. doesn’t that just say it all about this guy?

• 85 57andFemale
      March 8, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Oh my effing God. Would he please stop talking? Now?

• 86 miss pat
        March 9, 2012 at 8:12 am

Sarah meet Mitt, Mitt meet Sarah. I would introduce those two then sit back and enjoy the conversation.

• 87 Linda
      March 8, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Does he put on his cowboy jammies and get tucked in too ?

• March 8, 2012 at 6:54 pm

What is he, 9 years old? This guy is just so incredibly weird.

March 8, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Very weird. And even 9 seems a bit old for that kind of talk. Sounds like nursery school conversation!

• 98 L3
          March 8, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Does anyone remember, I think it was, Politico putting out a hit piece on the Obama Campaign saying they intended to focus on the fact that Romney is weird. A few media folks were up in arms suggesting that was dirty politics. I don’t know if the story was true but I can tell you that my impression of Willard in this campaign is that he is definitely one weird dude. There is something about him that suggests he’s been living in his own bubble. It’s really odd. How can you be the leader of the free world in the 21st century when everything about you suggests a 1950′s mindset?

• 99 Obama Grandmama
            March 9, 2012 at 3:14 pm

The thing about the Obama Campaign smearing Romney with the meme that he is weird is that it takes no effort at all to do that as Mitt is always saying or doing things that are weird. Nothing has to be made up.

• March 8, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Why is he lying? Cold cereal my foot.

• March 8, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Jeez, who burps ya?

• March 8, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Oh Lord, this man needs to retire, not run for president. He’s 65 years old and he sounds even older, telling us about his snacks and his tummy. What a complete moron. Does he really imagine that anyone in the known universe cares what he eats and does at the end of the day. The man is so boring he makes a beige wall look exciting.

• March 8, 2012 at 11:57 pm

The truth is, if President Obama was to tell a story like this, I’d be listening attentively because of the man himself and how interesting he is. Willard is truly just weird and out of touch. Almost everything he’s said would sound better coming from President Obama – even the story about the size of the trees. And President Obama isn’t hateful, so there’s a lot of room to be goofy when you’re likeable and full of good. As for Mitt – he’s full of lies and greed and phoniness, and that makes him even more unlikeable.

• March 8, 2012 at 10:13 pm

This dude — what a twerp! :roll:

Are there feetsies in his pajammies?

10. 107 Proud former White House intern
    March 8, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I would love to be at that table. Oh well there is always next time.

11. 108 collegekay
    March 8, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Wow @ the end of West Wing Week. That guy looks like he’s 30.

12. 114 Linda
    March 8, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Jake Tapper ‏ @jaketapper

I am being asked to make a @TomHanks pun in my story about Obama’s campaign video…which Hanks narrates. Any suggestions? #WriteJakesScript

—-

http://twitter.com/#!/jaketapper ( Lots of really juvenile suggestions for other reporters )

• March 8, 2012 at 6:56 pm

The suggestion I’d make except he blocked me the first time I tweeted him: Grow the eff up, moron.

March 8, 2012 at 7:06 pm

In addition to having the GOP provide his questions for the press briefings, Tapper now wants someone else to do his ‘creative’ writing for him? I guess he’s willing to share his salary too. These faux-reporters are SO lazy and ill-informed!

• 119 miss pat
        March 9, 2012 at 8:26 am

Exactly. A good report/journalist/ does not need to send out a SOS to others. He sits down and write and edist his work.

March 9, 2012 at 8:46 am

‘a good journalist’?? ,,, Now Miss P. you did know that we were discussing Jake Tapper, didn’t you? ;) ;) We are of the same mind on this subject.

Truth is I have yet to spot a good journalist within the group that gathers for the press sessions. Of course, I also should be fair and say that I don’t watch the pressers very often because the questions are predictable, repetitive, irritating and DO NOT enhance the political dialogue in any way IMO.

• 121 miss pat
            March 9, 2012 at 10:24 am

I do not watch because they do not have good questions about the current affairs. Sometimes I think those of us who went through the debating society at school or who had to turn in essays and reports that had no errors and were well researched would make better reporters/journalists today. I remember reading paragraphs and having to break them down to a few sentences, Now, that’s editing. Forget abour reading comprehension. Mrs. Lawrence my English teacher would question us about what you understood from a passage. And this was only High School.

March 9, 2012 at 11:38 am

I hear you and concur. In fact months ago I had occasion to tweet the WH PressCorps suggesting that they ask local high school English, History, or Social Studies students to prepare their questions for them. I felt sure they would do a far better job. It is discouraging in a way to see that I could, with validity, make the same suggestion today because the press corps hasn’t grown in intellectual depth AT ALL!

• 123 miss pat
                March 9, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Very good idea. Tweet them again. The press corps has one goal: make the President look bad. But we know that there’s nothing they can do or say to stop him from being re-elected. Now they’re scared and running around in circles asking b/s questions. As Mrs. Lawrence used to say, “When men on earth have done their best, angels in heaven could not have done better.” That’s the President.

• 124 yardarm756
      March 8, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Tell him to get a line off the wall of his colon where he gets the rest of his questions. :-(

• March 8, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Is Jake Tapper 12 years old? Does he have any idea how beloved Tom Hanks is and how unknown he is. Put a sock in it Jake and go eat some cereal before you toddle off to bed.

13. 126 CEB
    March 8, 2012 at 6:49 pm

I love POTUS and FLOTUS.

If I won, I would go with my 82 year old mother. This would be the gift of a life-time.

14. March 8, 2012 at 6:52 pm

4 more Generals defect from Syria, earlier the oil minister defected.
    All without dropping bombs!

15. March 8, 2012 at 6:54 pm

More personal anecdotal evidence that economy is improving, but it comes with a sad personal note. Daughter and son-in-law, who recently sold condo, put in an offer yesterday on their first house, were all excited, and today they found out there were 3 other offers on the house and owners accepted an offer at asking price. So back to the drawing boards. Also, my sister who sells real estate in Fl. has had multiple offers on all her latest sales. And——when we drove from Il. to Fl. and back recently, we literally saw dozens of new cars on the road—–maybe 100′s—-with “license applied for” stickers on the back. We commented that it looked like every other person on the road was in a new car. Car biz is definitely booming. I don’t know what stats will be tomorrow, but I see a real turnaround recently. Fingers crossed that it continues—-and for my “kids” that they find another house they like as well or better.

• March 8, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Things are looking up!! My mother called me a couple of nights ago to tell me she got TWO jobs. TWO full time jobs (don’t ask me how she’s going to do it). She’s been looking almost as long as I have except she was getting a few hours here and there from an agency. Almost at her breaking point she finally got a call for a job offer while she was on her way to another interview. She later got the second offer and took that one. Best of all, one of them is a job with state so she has a little security there. A little.

Oh and she lives in Florida and its real tough to find a job in that state.

Don’t worry, your kids will find another house to make into another home. :)

• March 8, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Dotster3, putting in the ‘quiet time/prayer/meditations’ list box. (((((The Home )))))))HZ

• March 8, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I hope your daughter and sil find something they like, but his is such a good sign for a reviving market. Even in our area of the world, houses that were sitting on the market are starting to move. There’s a lot of pent up demand in the housing market as people were waiting and waiting and waiting for a sign that they could jump in and buy their dream house.

16. March 8, 2012 at 6:54 pm

ATHENS (Reuters) – Greece secured an overwhelming acceptance of a bond swap offer to private creditors and beat its own most optimistic forecasts, a senior official said on Thursday after the deadline expired on a deal needed to avoid a chaotic debt default.

A government official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said take-up on the offer was around 95 percent an hour before the offer closed at 2000 GMT with responses still coming in.

The biggest sovereign debt restructuring in history will see bond holders accept losses of some 74 percent on the value of their investments in a deal that will cut more than 100 billion euros from Greece’s crippling public debt.

Earlier, the ECB says that Eurozone is showing stabilization.

17. March 8, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Hey folks, we need 6,400 more signatures on that WH petition to get Rush off Armed Forces Radio. http://www.thepeoplesview.net/2012/03/free-market-in-action-romney-style.html Get to it!

18. 156 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    March 8, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Reality

Not allowing this issue to drop

#PRESSON

• 157 Dudette
      March 8, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Bob-dahhhling! Keep fighting the good fight, Brother!

Got a suggestion for ya:

I think Rev Al needs to see the video in this article:

This Marine’s protest of the Tennessee Voter ID law is so powerful. It shook me to my core.

Would you work your magic and give it some bigtime exposure?

• 158 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
        March 8, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Never thought I’d see this happen in America, at least not since the 1960′s:

Hopefully this will help a little …

Thank you Dudette!!

#PRESSON

• March 8, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I agree with the man completely, but I think he’s not making it clear enough that the people he is yelling at are not the people who are responsible. They are just doing what they are supposed to do without the yelling. The election workers are volunteers mostly and they continue to treat him respectfully. I think he could have made his statement without yelling directly at them.

• 160 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
            March 8, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Mary, I agree with you, that would have been ideal. But he’s the guy that got shot at to protect their rights and I cut him some slack for that.

Thank you.

#PRESSON

• 162 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
                March 8, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Thank you Mary!

#LandslideDEMS2012

#LandslideOBAMA2012

Let’s Get It Done!

• March 9, 2012 at 2:03 am

Bobfr, I did the RTs as well. When I saw this , my pressure went up. I am going to be working on spreading the message as well. I just finished writing my senators and the DOJ and Chairman Leahy. We have to help in anyway that we can. Every pressing on helps.HZ

• 164 EDP4BHO
              March 8, 2012 at 9:57 pm

I agree with the Marine. He’s making a statement and wants it known to the entire nation how ridiculous the law is. By any means necessary, I say. I’m sure he was not mad at the election official. So telling that a white male has become a symbol of all the suppression attempts made toward people of color in the past, and this very day…..all in the name of stopping minority encroachment upon white privilege, which nowadays is being used to keep from re-electing that “dictator” in the White House. :-D I laugh whenever I hear that word. PBO is such a mild-mannered person, dictator no way could ever describe him. What do they say about chickens?

• March 8, 2012 at 10:02 pm

I agree with the Marine too. I felt bad for the election workers who have to follow their protocols. I support him 100%, I just didn’t want anything to distract from his message.

March 8, 2012 at 11:27 pm

The Republicans are trying to steal this election with this Voter ID crap.

• March 9, 2012 at 2:05 am

Yes, they are anniebella, however, we are going to keep pushing back as much as possible. This is NOT going to happen.HZ

• 168 Dudette
          March 9, 2012 at 12:50 am

Thank you Bob! YOU are the hope!! YOU are the change!!

• 169 globalcitizenlinda
          March 9, 2012 at 3:58 am

this video should get more play.

• March 8, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Bob, you’re so right. All the voter suppression laws have one end–to discourage us from voting by putting too many hurdles in our path. They don’t understand how determined we are to knock over everything in our path to re-elect PBO.

19. March 8, 2012 at 7:08 pm
    • 172 prettyfoot58
      March 8, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Nowhere in the state’s Constitution does it require eligible voters to present a state-issued photo ID–a fact voter ID supporters like to omit.

*******************************************************

I wonder if other states can use this….to defeat their voter ID laws

• March 8, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Pf, I know you’re from PA and there is an explicit clause in the PA constitution that says voting is a right and shouldn’t be restricted. I’ trying to think of a way that some entity in the state can bring this to a judge for constitutional review. I don’t think these laws pass the smell test.

• 174 prettyfoot58
          March 9, 2012 at 6:15 am

GM Jackie…..

where is the ACLU on this issue…i have not heard anything from them..

Who has the money…

Unions…NAACP…Urban League…can the League of Women Voters or The Committee of 70 be involved…can the City of Philadelphia file suit….

March 8, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Great News. All of the voter ID should be rule Unconstiutional

20. March 8, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Via The People’s View: Lookie what kind of financial trouble Clear Channel is in and guess who has a hand in it? http://www.thepeoplesview.net/2012/03/free-market-in-action-romney-style.html

21. 188 nintendowii10
    March 8, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Kooky Kucinich the Keebler Elf is having a HUGE fit for LOSING… fucking emoprog swine! He should be packing his bags as opposed to sniveling about how Kaptur didn’t run a positive campaign!

• March 8, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Oh put a sock in it Kucinich! If he wasn’t such a dick towards Pres.Obama, he might have had a spot in the administration.

• 194 Cha
      March 8, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I read that a couple of days ago on TPM.. Kucinich was charging that Kaptur’s campaign had no integritty and he didn’t call to congratulate her. I have no proof that is true but from what I’ve learned about Dennis over the years is that he’s a complete tool. And, a bit of Schadenfreude is happening here.

• 195 57andFemale
      March 8, 2012 at 9:05 pm

You mean positive like whining to impeach PBO for offending his delicate sensibilities? Threatening to vote against all kinds of Democratic bills because they weren’t perfect enough? He has no sense of how the world works. I’m thrilled to see him gon

• 196 Pamela
        March 8, 2012 at 10:34 pm

He keeps threatening that he will come out here to Washington State. As far as I can tell, he is not invited, and is not wanted, tho I have seen the odd yard sign for him.

• March 8, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Poor Dennis, he got his feelings hurt. Time for cold cereal and an early bedtime.

22. 198 Cindy Sweatt
    March 8, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Did I miss it? Is there a link to the new film about President Obama narrated by Tom Hanks? I really want to see it. Can someone help?

23. 205 itgurl_29
    March 8, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I won’t link to that vile place, but I saw on another board that there’s an interview on there with Martin Sheen, and he calls out emoprogs, big time. Even brings race into it, and how disappointed he is with some white progressives who think stuff is just supposed to happen overnight. It was a really good interview.

24. March 8, 2012 at 7:23 pm

• 216 utaustinliberal
      March 8, 2012 at 8:11 pm

May I just say that Alan Krueger is ver very HOT! Everytime I watch him speak on the economy, on the jobs numbers, or addressing the netroots or the Center for American Progress I just go gaga googoo gaga. His nerd appeal is off the charts and that brain…..*shivers.*

March 8, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Totally irrelevant but I like the way the President’s tie and FLOTUS’s dress look ‘ensemble’ in the first picture.

26. March 8, 2012 at 7:27 pm

I just saw that Al Green will be performing at Ravinia in Chgo area this summer, one of the coolest, most “beautifulest” outdoor concert settings anywhere. I was just picturing myself being there, a little wine and cheese spread on a checked tablecloth among the big ol’ trees, lovely summer evening—- and Green starts to sing, “I……….am so in love with you….” and announces a surprise special guest —–and President Obama strolls onstage—–microphone in hand, singing along. The crowd goes wild. What a moment it will be! I can’t wait!!! :)

• March 8, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Oooooooh, you just took me to paradise with that image Dotster – better still would be if you were invited on stage to do backing vocals for Al and PBO!

• March 8, 2012 at 7:48 pm

And then he took us all out for pie afterwards. Heh.

• March 8, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I’ll practice my cool moves :) and my backup vocals just in case—-”so in love, so in love, so in love with you, do wopadoodle do”. President Obama will share the microphone with me at one point. The crowd roars! This is going to be a Great Night! The Greatest!

• 227 Betsy
      March 8, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I wanna come dotster3, can I come and have some wine and cheese?

• 228 MB32
      March 9, 2012 at 6:33 am

I’ve been in Chicago 10 years now and have not yet made it to Ravinia even though I look at the schedule every year and oooh and awwe over the performers. But I just might swing over to Highland Park to catch Rev Al Green this summer with hopes for a very “special guest” :)

27. March 8, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Whose phenomenal/brilliant idea was this to make a documentary of PBO
    taking us back from GOP hell???….That person should get a gold medal.

28. March 8, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Here’s the link for the next ‘Dinner with Barack’:

Any of you who forecast that if it was you at the table you’d either burp, faint, fall off your seat, spill your drink, knock your glass off the table, drool food all over the place, get hiccups, choke, or just trip on your way to the table and land on your face ….. please contribute to Obama/Biden 2012 in a different way. Thank you.

29. 237 Dudette
    March 8, 2012 at 7:38 pm

In today’s Rise and Shine thread, I highlighted a caption from one of the pictures in pamelabrown53′s Coolitude link that mentioned how Romney “speaks French, but it’s one of the last things you’ll hear him talk about on the campaign trail.”

Obama Grandmama said: “There’s a video out there of Romney speaking French at one of the Olympic ceremonies, unless he has hired someone to get rid of it like he did the computers after his time in office as Governor of MA.”

Well OG, you’ll be glad to know that this one has been preserved on the interwebs for all to see:

I find it quite odd, that usually I get all tingly when I hear a man speak French. But this one? Not so much.

• March 8, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Honestly Dudette, if a chap said to me “you have a face like a bulldog’s backside” in French I’d take it as a compliment. Of course, I’d have no idea what he actually said, it being in French, but even an insult in that language sounds like a love thing.

But Willard? If he said to me, in French, “you are a ravishing sexpot” it would sound like the noise that comes out of a bulldog’s backside after he eats beans.

• 241 Eleroy
      March 8, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Such poor french!!! Sounds awful and broken!!! Eeeeewww!!!

• 244 Obama Grandmama
      March 9, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Yup! Dudette that’s the one I saw before. Now let him smear PBO with being too French. You can circulate this as to whom is too French. Hee hee

30. March 8, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Voting for President Obama’s healthcare reform law cost Democratic incumbents 5.8 percentage points of support at the polls in 2010, according to a new study in the journal American Politics Research.

The study helps explain why Democrats lost 66 House seats, significantly more than the median academic forecast of 44 to 45 seats, study co-author Brendan Nyhan of Dartmouth College writes on his blog.

I still do not understand what I so bad about HCR?

March 8, 2012 at 7:49 pm

It wasn’t voting for the health care law that cost them support – it was the gross distortion of the law by the left and right media (as well as left blogosphere who were pissed about their public option), and the failure on the part of these Democrats to effectively combat the media lies and distortion.

In 2012, the media is less able to get away with demonizing the law because more people have had a chance to actually personally benefit from the law, with none of the deleterious effects that they were led to believe it would bring. Furthermore, there are more data actually showing how the law has begun to reduce costs and the exchanges will open next year.

• March 8, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I agree, hopefruit. I was distressed with a report I heard on almost every news break today. That 47% of Americans disapprove of the healthcare reform. Think I have that correct……believe it was 44% approve. some other stats that I can’t remember. I said aloud: “This is one area the administration has NOT done a good job of messaging.”

March 8, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I don’t think the issue was so much with the administration as much as it was with those congressional Democrats who ran away from HCR instead of owning it and challenging the media’s lies and distortions.

• 250 57andFemale
            March 8, 2012 at 9:16 pm

It was both. It still is, although it’s getting a little better. PBO has been more forceful about it lately but not enough. Especially since it can and should be framed as a job creator. I will never understand it.

• March 8, 2012 at 8:05 pm

An example of the benefits of the law coming into effect, people have No idea it is because of the healtcare law.
        HHS should send out flyers when stuff comes online!

• 252 57andFemale
          March 8, 2012 at 9:21 pm

This! I will always remember that we didn’t know how much ACA was helping seniors until a few days before the 2010 election and my God I follow this stuff! Many seniors still don’t know that their increased benefits are a result of ACA.

• March 8, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Yes, this seems accurate:

Have we learned our lesson? Or are we going to go off into cat-herd mode again?

31. March 8, 2012 at 7:47 pm

The Senate cleared an amendment on Thursday, 76-22, that would send 80 percent of penalties paid by British Petroleum and other parties responsible for the Deepwater Horizon spill to a special fund to “restore and revitalize” the Gulf of Mexico.

That amendment, also called the RESTORE Act, would allow the money, which was collected by the government for Clean Water Act violations, to be spent in five affected Gulf states.

On Thursday afternoon the Senate also passed an amendment, 82-16, that would compensate rural counties that suffer from a lack of revenue because of dormant federal lands.

Senator Boxer is doing a good job of leading on the Transpirtstion bill!

32. March 8, 2012 at 7:50 pm

I wonder if Obama speaking on the economy in Virginia indicates they believe they’ll have some solid numbers from February? Or is this the norm, regardless of how good the numbers are?

Either way, I always get anxious when the unemployment/job creation figures are released. I hear it’s going up, but that we’ll still see a solid increase in non-payroll jobs. So, who knows.

March 8, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Tweety is having an orgasm over that movie “Game Change.” He is relieving his Palin fantasies thru that movie which he has already seen twice (according to him) and plans to watch 20 more times. Tweety needs to stop advertising the fact that his head is filled with nothing but empty space. I mean who would watch a movie about Sarah Palin 20 times?!?!?!?!?

• March 8, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I am going to watch that, however! Just out of curiosity, it’s supposed to be a hit piece on her!

• 261 Dudette
      March 8, 2012 at 8:02 pm

hf, think about which demographic picked her, was transfixed by her and made her an instant millionaire once Grampy McCain foisted her onto the American public. Tweey falls right in line.

• March 8, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I can’t figure out this movie, even tho I read the book. There has been so much conflicting opinion on it. Sarah P is s’posed to be all mad about it, but then others have said it is sympathetic to her. I’ve changed my mind a bunch of times if I want to watch—-don’t want to see it if they made her this poor little thing and McCain some old hero dude—-because I know the facts——watched it all unfold minute by minute and second by second—–and don’t want to see any revisionist junk. The book certainly wasn’t flattering to their side. I’ll probably still watch to see what they did with it.

March 8, 2012 at 8:20 pm

The mere fact that Tweety is waxing poetic about it makes me not want to watch it. And I don’t think this movie is going to be as great a hit as Tweety and Halperin are hoping it will be. In a few weeks, the box office numbers will dwindle. I don’t think many people are particularly interested in revisiting that crap that was forced upon us in 2008.

I will wait to see the epic movie (which the world is waiting for) about the current WH occupant.

• 264 Obama Grandmama
        March 9, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I totally want to see the Game Change movie to see for myself how they portrayed her and the situation. I spent 3 days researching right after she was announced. I had lived and taught in Juneau for ten years before retiring and moving back to Oregon. I looked up newspaper articles, online info, and phoned many friends in Juneau. I even heard stories that have not been out for public consumption so feel I really understand her and what people there thought of her after getting to know her. I DO want to see the movie so I can make my own decision as to whether she is portrayed correctly. I do not have HBO so will need to wait till it is available to rent. Oh by the way, she is even worse than most people think from the presidential race and since the race.

• 265 Eleroy
      March 8, 2012 at 8:07 pm

No Tweety is just part of the corrupt, good ole boy club. He goes along to get along!!! Lots of wink, wink. No integrity, no honor!!! Dishonest and slimy to the core!!!

He is really as ridiculous, shallow and idiotic as mark Halperin and for them, it’s really about protecting their ill-gotten any way possible loot!!!

So Chris Matthews is rooting for this movie because he thinks that if his pals Mark Halperin make out on this movie, he took can turn his fairytale book into a movie too!!! I bet he’s already shopping his around too.

• 266 ber6964
      March 8, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Twitty is Catholic, I think that’s why He subtly pushes that President Kennedy is somehow better than President Obama. I wonder what message the Stanch Catholics are getting from this……..In my opinion Tweety tries to UnderMine President Obama every chance he gets/

• 267 ber6964
        March 8, 2012 at 8:24 pm

The Under mining is so subtly …………………you miss is it most of the time.

March 9, 2012 at 3:59 am

ber6964, you are so right. Like that Bradley effect B.S., and talking about our President isn’t a good debater, so Romney will take two out of three of the debates. Romney isn’t good at debating. Special when someone comes at him with the truth. Chris Matthews is off of my list, I will not watch him.

• 269 lisalovesobama
          March 9, 2012 at 8:02 am

Willard isn’t even good at debating the other idiots in his party. How is he gonna go against PBO? The man who went into the Repugs’ den and took ‘em all on? You guys remember that? PBO went to sme repug retreat in 2009 or early 2010. It was just him against all the Repugs and he took all of them on. Answering all their stupid questions and wiping the floor with them. It was a huge victory for PBO, because the Repugs wanted it televised because they thought that they were gonna humiliate PBO. Instead, PBO kicked their asses and made ‘em say “mama.” bastards! Even Keith Dumbass was glowing with joy that day. Since then, they have nevah televized another meeting with him. :mrgreen: I don’t know what Tweety is smoking but all I can say is ” pass the dutchie on de left hand side.”
          Ps-fuck Tweety.

• 270 utaustinliberal
      March 8, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Oh damn don’t ever do that to me again hopefruit. I read the words “Tweety is having an orgasm….” and I almost choked on an ice cube :lol: The mental image damned near almost killed me.

• 274 nospin
      March 8, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I refuse to watch that nonsense.

• 275 EDP4BHO
      March 8, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Whose Sarah ?

34. March 8, 2012 at 8:00 pm

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) said Thursday that he opposes legislation that would provide tax credits to spur transition to using natural-gas fuel in heavy trucking fleets, dealing a strong blow to the bill’s prospects.

“I am not supportive of the Nat Gas Act,” Cantor, referring to the bill’s title, told E2 in the Capitol. “I think the policy behind that is Washington again picking winners and losers.”

The Senate will vote as soon as Thursday on an amendment to transportation legislation that’s aimed at expanding use of natural gas as a transportation fuel, especially in the oil-thirsty heavy-trucking industry.

–//

That is the Pickens plan, who fights against the Koch Brothers. The Kochs have Cantor under their desk! For real!

• March 8, 2012 at 8:08 pm

I just read article in local paper that Lamar Alexander is going to introduce a bill to end the 20-year subsidy for wind energy. He says it can provide only “puny amounts of expensive, unreliable electricity.” Okay, Senator, let’s talk about the subsidies for oil companies? God help us. Idiot.

• March 8, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Don’t know what happened to the rest of my comment. Here: “We can’t afford it. The federal government borrows 40 cents of every dollar it spends. It cannot justify such a subsidy, especially for what the US energy secretary calls ‘a mature technology.’” Direct quote from Alexander. Again, oil subsidies?????

March 8, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I think Jay Carney is going to be on Ed tonight to discuss the campaign movie “Road we’ve traveled.” Stay tuned :)

36. March 8, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Talk about getting the royal treatment: President Barack Obama, an avid basketball fan, is bringing British Prime Minister David Cameron to an NCAA Tournament game in Ohio, showing off one of America’s most popular sporting events.

The White House said Obama and Cameron will attend a first round game in Dayton on Tuesday, part of the official visit to the United States by the British prime minister and his wife, Samantha.

• March 8, 2012 at 8:23 pm

OMG, how fun is that? I hope Cameron enjoys the whole spectacle.

• 285 utaustinliberal
      March 8, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Oh snap! PM Cameron is going to experience March Madness courtside??!!!! Hell yes!

March 8, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I’m thinking on election day the international community would love to cast symbolic votes for PBO to show their support!

• March 9, 2012 at 2:18 am

Thanks for sharing this one, Chips. This is awesome. When have we had a President like this one? I love our President. What a joy. The two will enjoy this. I like how Cameron and POB interact with each other.

We know Cantor, McConnell are going nuts. I love how POB just keep driving them nuts. We love you, Mr. President.HZ

March 9, 2012 at 3:54 am

That sounds like it sound be fun. Knowing how our President loves basketball.

• March 9, 2012 at 1:41 am

Excellent video…thanks chips!

Great statement of truth from Nobel Laureate, Leymah Gbowee about 25mins in…”over time, we’ve mellowed, the women’s movement has mellowed, our issues, our conversation have become issues for men. NO woman should sit down and allow a man to speak about her reproductive rights (applause). Until you’ve gone through that process, I’ve come from Africa to tell you, YOU DON’T QUALIFY”

There’s a short version of that part on YouTube…it misses that last sentence though of until you’ve gone through….http://youtu.be/RTaZEHctqzM

March 9, 2012 at 3:52 am

The speeches by the women were wonderful, including our FLOTUS. I loved that lady who spoke after FLOTUS. FLOTUS looks good in that white dress.

March 8, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Soon Willard will be releasing the trailer for his 17-minute campaign movie in 4..3…2..1..

• 294 Lorraine
      March 8, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I was thinking the EXACT same thing! LOL

March 8, 2012 at 10:33 pm

hopefruit2,Don’t think Romney won’t do it. He will. I’m waiting for “Have Dinner with Ann and Mitt Romney”.

• March 9, 2012 at 2:35 am

Anniebella, I concur. Mitt does not realize that he can and NEVER will be like POB. He tries to wear those blue plaid shirts like POB, and Lord have mercy he surely can’t wear anything like POB does. Mitt just does not get it.

It makes me sick to my stomach when I see his copycat drama. POB is not about drama, and we know POB does not copy anyone. He is the Real deal., our President. Never will be another one like him. Plain and simple.

Now, Willard is trying to kiss Ms. Ann when they go on the stage. I saw him do that last week, and I wanted to get up and go through the tv and slap him. She needed to do it. I would not allow my husband slobbering over me with a ‘wooden kiss.’ Hecky no!!!!
        That has to be the pits. Mitt does not realize that POB and FLOTUS are real and they share a ‘real natural love’. You can’t make this stuff up. Sorry Mitt.HZ

March 9, 2012 at 3:41 am

HZ, you are so right. Can you imagine President Obama or First Lady Michelle Obama answering a question by a 11 year old the way Mitt Romney did. When that kid asked Romney about Iran, he goes on to say if Barack Obama is re-elected Iran will have a nuclear weapon. It is all about fear with them, and putting down the President.

March 9, 2012 at 3:49 am

I’m surprise we haven’t seen Ann and Mitt date night. And speaking of Mitt’s worse half, remember that crap she talk about how the media love Obama. How they treat her husband bad. I would love to tell Ann to shut to hell up. Look at all the B.S. FLOTUS and POTUS has had to deal with. And they have handle it with class and dignity. Look at that judge from Montana and his disgusting email about POTUS and his Mother. And that was just the latest.

38. March 8, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Hi Chips. Just touching base to say hello. I haven’t been posting for a while. But I do peep in from time to time to see what you guys and that lovely president of yours is up to.

I’m so excited to see that he is up in the polls and doing well.

Have a good night.

OBAMA 2012!

39. 305 Lorraine
    March 8, 2012 at 8:38 pm

“In my humble opinion, if he (Barack Obama) loses the next election to the other bunch then, good Lord, I will run myself”
    Noel Gallagher, Oasis

40. March 8, 2012 at 8:42 pm

OH GOOD LAWD!!!!!!!!! Bring this dumbass on!!!!!!!!!

Joe the Plumber blows a gasket
    By: MJ Lee
    March 8, 2012 07:41 AM EST

Samuel Wurzelbacher, who on Thursday morning accused CNN of being like TMZ and trying to trap him with “gotcha questions,” explained to POLITICO immediately following the tense interview that he is “sick of the gossip and drama.”

Reached on his cellphone after his early morning TV appearance, Wurzelbacher, better known to many Americans as “Joe the Plumber,” explained why he had gotten flustered.

“Because I’m just — I’m sick of the gossip and drama. There’s real issues to work on. They want to take anything they disagree with me on to use it to twist it and use it to their gain and paint me in a light they want to paint me in,” he said. “Let’s … stop with the seventh-grade shenanigans.”

Minutes after comparing CNN to TMZ on the air, Wurzelbacher said the host of “Early Start” went “National Enquirer” on him by asking him about his previous statements on gays.

and it JUST. GETS. BETTER!

• 309 Cha
      March 8, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Lol…what bug got up the non joe the non plumber’s ass!?! LoL!

March 9, 2012 at 3:32 am

You would think if you was going on tv you would be able, prepare to answer the questions asked of you. If not stay off of tv. Mr. Wurzelbacher.

• 311 Obama Grandmama
      March 9, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I probably should have scrolled down further before responding to see if this is already mentioned but didn’t. Excuse me if I am repeating, please. I was listening to progressive radio and heard Thom Hartmann say that Joe the Plumber’s handlers were requiring a signed paper saying they would ask no gottcha questions out of his expertise. TH said that had never been done before when he first did it so they signed it then only asked plumbing questions for the whole interview. Sounded funny to me!

41. March 8, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Friday Mar. 9, 2012
    10:00 AM
    Obama receives the presidential daily briefing.
    10:40 AM
    Obama departs the White House en route Joint Base Andrews.
    10:55 AM
    Obama departs Joint Base Andrews en route Prince George, Va.
    11:35 AM
    Obama arrives Richmond, Virginia.
    12:15 PM
    Obama tours Rolls-Royce Crosspointe.
    12:30 PM
    Obama delivers remarks at Rolls-Royce Crosspointe.
    2:40 PM
    Obama departs Richmond, Virginia en route Houston, Texas.
    3:40 PM
    Obama arrives Houston, Texas.
    4:50 PM
    Obama delivers remarks at a campaign event.
    6:50 PM
    Obama delivers remarks at a campaign event.
    8:10 PM
    Obama departs Houston, Texas.

42. 317 SueBee
    March 8, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Hi Chips! Once again ..thanks for all you do! :) :D

43. March 8, 2012 at 9:05 pm

President Obama, in a statement: “[T]he United States celebrates the many achievements and milestones in the ongoing struggle for gender equality around the world, and reaffirms our commitment to accelerating progress. We are committed to a future in which our daughters and sons have equal opportunities to thrive, because when women succeed, communities and countries succeed. With this promise in mind, we are launching new initiatives on women’s political participation and economic empowerment, combating violence against women, promoting women’s roles and perspectives in conflict prevention and peace-building, and supporting the work of UN Women and other key partners.”

“Experience shows that true democracy cannot be built without the full and equal participation of half our population. Women’s economic empowerment is essential for economic recovery and growth worldwide. Successful transitions in the Middle East and North Africa will depend on women’s ability to shape their countries’ futures. From Egypt to Yemen and beyond, over the last year we have seen women lead local and national efforts to protest corruption, demand accountability, and establish new institutions.”

44. 319 Deagara
    March 8, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Henry Healy and Ollie Hayes visit the Whitehouse on March 20, 2012 for St. Patrick Day.

45. 328 Marlz (@marjgra)
    March 8, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Governor O’mally on Rachel now!!!
    OMG!!!

• March 8, 2012 at 10:16 pm

As usual, he was better than awesome. :)

• March 9, 2012 at 3:04 am

Gov. O’Malley is so great. I hope that he will be ready for 2016. I love this man. We will need someone to keep up the spirit and intellect when POB leaves at the end of his second term. Plus, Gov. O’Malley respects POB and I believe that there will be a good wave coming forth for Gov. O’Malley.

The Maryland citizens are so blessed. I love that he is not afraid to speak with calmness but firmness like POB and still get the job done. We will have to keep our eyes on him and help him to carry on after POB leaves in 2017. HZ

• 331 MB32
        March 9, 2012 at 6:50 am

That clip Rachel showed where he was handing the VA gov his behind was beyond awesome!

March 8, 2012 at 9:28 pm

TITLE: They Think the Obama, Harvard, Derrick Bell Video Makes the President Look Bad? Look Again.

// First, in these uncertain times (and in contrast to Romney who the country is having the hardest time getting to know), it doesn’t hurt that the Obama of twenty years ago — in his tone, intelligence, humor and conviction — sounds (and even looks) fantastically similar to the Obama of today. Not only does the video punctuate those qualities but it emphasizes to anyone paying attention just how consistent, durable and non-dangerous the President is. Second, what the video documents is Obama’s ability, even then, to elevate at the key moment and not just engage but captivate people’s attention. (We’ll see more of it, guaranteed, between now and November.) //

You know, this article highlighted how rapt the audience in that video was. Folks were sitting all over the window ledges inside the building just to listen to Barack Obama. It was true then and is true now. This man is amazing.

• 333 itgurl_29
      March 8, 2012 at 9:32 pm

The video is incredibly impressive. Shows that at even as a 29 year old law student, he was more mature and presidential than all of these clowns running today.

I would love for the campaign to totally co-opt that video and use it in an ad, touting the President’s consistency to fight for what’s right, versus Romney’s lack of fight for anything other than fattening his pocketbook. RWNJ heads would explode, Hannity would go into cardiac arrest on live television, and Breitbart’s maggot infested corpse would start spinning!

• March 8, 2012 at 10:10 pm

This.

The best way to smack down these haters of clowns.

• 336 JoJothecat
      March 8, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Wouldn’t it be funny that Andrew Breitbarts’ attempt to smear PBO has actually did someting GOOD by showing people that the President is the same nice, considerate, passionate, person then as he is today? That nutjob going all over the teevee to claim this is some “bombshell” he’s looking like a dud.

• March 8, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Yes, HF, that really is the first thing you notice in the video–how compelling he is, how the magnetism just shines from him, even when he’s speaking as a student and not a world leader. There is just something so honest and real about him, so natural and intelligent. Anyone who thought this would be a negative for PBO is so blinded by hate they can’t see straight.

• 338 Cha
      March 8, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Or as MediaMatters says.. “Yesterday, the Breitbart empire stepped up to the plate, called their shot, swung, missed, hit themselves in the face with the bat, then took a triumphant trot around the bases as spectators looked on with piteous and mocking wonder.”

A Big Nothing for them but I think it’s a slam in the face to the Cornel Wests and the Tavis Smileys.

• 339 nathkatun7
      March 9, 2012 at 2:55 am

Thank you hopefruit for sharing this article. I already have such deep respect for President Obama but that video of him praising professor Bell totally magnified my respect of him. Derrick Bell is one of my heroes. I think I’ve read practically every book he has written. I took a peek at the comments on that site and I was appalled at the number of right wingers commenting calling Derrick Bell a racist! Obviously they are all repeating what they heard on FOX or on the right blogs. I doubt that any of the right wing commentators have ever read any of the late Professor Bell’s writings. But again, what’s new? Right wing racists just can’t stomach Black intellect; especially Black intellect that systematically exposes deep-seated cultural racism! By the way, I always recommend to everyone Derrick Bell’s autobiographical book: “Ethical Ambition: Living a Life of Meaning and Worth.” Professor Bell was not only a brilliant lawyer but he was a very gifted writer who used allegories to illuminate the complexity of trying to rely on the legal system to try to solve deeply embedded cultural racism.

• 340 MB32
      March 9, 2012 at 7:00 am

The video is pretty amazing. It amplifies what Michelle has always said that he is consistent. We see it in every old video and every old speech. But the thing that is sad and predictable is that not only do you have RW nutties giving him grief for giving that speech and hug #huggyscare but I saw a tweet from someone saying that PBO was reluctant to get involved…sigh

47. March 8, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Chips do you have a full length pictrurs of FLOTUS at the Women’s Day Luncheon? She looked beautiful in that white and I want to share it with my FB fam.

48. March 8, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Meh, I bet the guy ordered arugula for everybody for the dinner.

/ducks & runs

49. March 8, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Please forgive me for venturing over to the other site, but I did and have to share this. Check out the comments too.

50. 345 carolyn
    March 8, 2012 at 10:41 pm

tnmtgirl…..such a good editorial. Glad it was on the DK….because it got wide play. Thanks for bringing it here. I venture to that site sometimes, but not often. It does seem from what I’ve read recently, that it’s not nearly as hair on fire as it was for a while. Is Markos, perhaps, growing up?

• March 8, 2012 at 11:02 pm

There was actually another diary along these same lines. I was amazed.

• March 9, 2012 at 3:07 am

Hi tnmtngirl. Hope all is going well for you and family. (((((((((Hugs))))))))HZ

• March 9, 2012 at 6:23 am

Aw sweet HZ, Thanks for asking. We are okay. Don’t know if you saw we have Hospice for my 94 yr. old mother. The Hospice nurse says her guess is 3-6 months. She is so tired and in her words “I want to go to heaven.” I do notice that she tires more and more easily and her short-term memory gets even worse. Both caused by lack of oxygen because her heart is so weak. My hubby is hiking the AT, doing sections at a time. Our daughter and her family are good. I pray you are feeling okay and enjoying life.

((((((((HUGS)))))) :) :) :)

51. March 8, 2012 at 10:45 pm

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Families took on more debt in late 2011 for the first time in 3-1/2 years but a rise in after-tax incomes left consumers in better shape to spend.

Other data on Thursday showed the number of Americans filing for jobless benefits rose last week, but not enough to change perceptions the labor market was strengthening.

The economy is still limping back from a financial crisis that wreaked havoc on household finances and put millions of people out of work.

However, rising incomes eased the pinch in the fourth quarter. The ratio of household liabilities to after-tax income – a broad measure of the debt burden – fell to 117.5 percent, its lowest level since 2004.

52. March 8, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I get a kick out of this site: http://alldeadmormonsarenowgay.com/ Return the favor.

53. 352 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    March 8, 2012 at 11:21 pm

IT GETS EVEN MORE INTERESTING IN MITCH DANIELS’ TERRITORY..INDIANAPOLIS FACING $75 MILLION DEFICIT…INDIANAPOLIS METRO POLICE DEPT. HASN’T EVEN PAID THEIR ELECTRIC BILL…WHERE HAS ALL THE PUBLIC SAFETY MONEY GONE…SOMEBODY MUST HAVE GONE ON A SHOPPING BINGE FOR THE SUPERBOWL!

• March 9, 2012 at 3:13 am

Sue, that is what pains the heart so much when reading about this type of stuff. So many people are hurt and are hurting because these GOP Governors, because of their hate for POB will not get their hearts together and accept the help to take care of people during these tough times.

I can’t understand the hatred that these people have and will allow that hatred to hurt others in this way. I do believe in my heart that these governors will pay dearly from the very God they yell about everyday and try to hide behind. God is tired of them mocking His name, and will repay.HZ

• 354 SUE DUVALL SMITH
        March 9, 2012 at 6:02 am

AMEN…HZ….GOD IS GOING TO ANSWER TO THESE MEN WHO PLAY THEIR GREED GAMES OVER THE WELFARE OF THE PEOPLE!

• 355 SUE DUVALL SMITH
          March 9, 2012 at 6:22 am

MY OTHER HALF WORKS AT IMPD HZ…THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR THE PAST YEAR…6 MONTHS AGO THE NORTHEAST DISTRICT COULDN’T PAY ITS LIGHT BILL…IMPD COPS WERE NOT PAID THEIR OVERTIME DURING THE SUPERBOWL…MONEY HAS BEEN TAKEN FOR THE SAKE OF THE ALMIGHTY FOOTBALL! IT’S DISGUSTING!

54. March 8, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Darn,I didn’t win.And First Lady M.,looks so nice in that blk.&wh.number!Oh well I dine alone for now!But there’ll be others,and I’ll keep trying to get a dinner double date.Me and my husband,and cousin Barack,and Michelle!”An Ohana!”

55. March 8, 2012 at 11:43 pm

w00t just got back from a phone bank! good night everyone! I’m the one taking the picture so I’m not in it – how convenient for me ;-)

56. March 8, 2012 at 11:52 pm
    March 9, 2012 at 12:07 am

The glue holding together the contemporary Republican agenda – the fierce defense of entitlement spending on the elderly, the equally fierce opposition to welfare spending on the young, the backlash against illegal immigration, the nationalist foreign policy, the cultural traditionalism – is ethnocentrism. Republicans are defending the shared cultural prerogatives of a certain group of people. That is why I am arguing that the shifting demographic tides will require the GOP to undertake a major reorientation in order to maintain its competitiveness. There’s simply no way to transpose their sense of what is and what is not a legitimate government function onto a progressively younger, browner electorate. (Latino voters overwhelmingly support Obama’s health care reform.) Their conception of us versus them can work for a while – it worked quite well with the anomalously old, white 2010 off-year electorate – but the them is rapidly outnumbering the us.

58. March 9, 2012 at 12:09 am

That guy Randall Terry won 1 delegate in Oklahoma, in democratic primary.
    Does that mean we have to let that wacko speak at Convention?

59. March 9, 2012 at 12:18 am

Good one!

60. March 9, 2012 at 12:45 am

Alfre Woddard is beautiful performing Sojourner Truth’s speech.

61. 364 globalcitizenlinda
    March 9, 2012 at 3:41 am

The President and First Lady look so relaxed at this dinner. they seem to have their guard down. remind me of the attitude I would expect from regular friends and its easy to forget that they hold the whole world in their beautiful but strong and capable hands

62. 365 globalcitizenlinda
    March 9, 2012 at 4:02 am

earlier, people here highlighted the video of the TN former marine protesting voter ID law, I wonder if this video is something that needs to be brought to the attention of OFA, DOJ (voting rights division) and other institutions that are working on over turning these voter ID laws

63. 367 susanne
    March 9, 2012 at 4:51 am

haven’t had much time to participate in the conversation today, but thanks again chips for keeping this a sane place to stop in. lights out tod ohana!

64. 368 overseasgranny
    March 9, 2012 at 5:35 am

How Murdoch’s newspapers hacked the phone of Charlotte Church’s family priest to get stories on Charlotte:

65. March 9, 2012 at 6:42 am

A little disappointed….the “Friday’s Good” video has been removed from Youtube. Can we find one of the same somewhere else? It usually makes my day.

66. March 9, 2012 at 7:04 am

Good Friday Morning, Chips and TOD Family!

I’ve been enjoying watching that so very controversial earth shattering, game changing Harvard video over and over, because I soo love watching my President when he was young and incredibly even more charismatic than he is now……if that’s possible, but anyhow, I noticed a cute little thing after that “radical” hug he gave Professor Bell. So, they exchange a word, like maybe thank you for the introduction or something, then young Obama, maybe in saying you’re welcome or it’s my pleasure or something, he does his sweet trademark tilt of the head to the side.
    Super adorable! Did anyone else notice that? Or am I gonna sound a little nutty here?

Anyhow, have anice day everyone!

67. 372 prettyfoot58
    March 9, 2012 at 7:20 am

Gooooood Morninggggggg…..Chipssssss…and the TOD Fam…

folks want to know why the Republlican presidential candidates are not talking about the economy and issues that impact on Average Americans….i would say that is Todays Republican Party….just take a look at the state houses around the country that are controlled by Repubs….they have attacked workers rights, women’s rights, voter’s rights….there has been no impetus on jobs…in fact they have cut jobs….this is what one should expect if they attain control of the Congress and the White House….

Presssssssssss ON!

68. March 9, 2012 at 7:29 am

Banks foreclosing on churches in record numbers. Everyone thought they were going to be the next megachurch, I guess. I will withhold further comment at this time

69. March 9, 2012 at 8:31 am

227k added, UE number holds at 8.3!