Mar

afternoon all

President Obama meets with the 2012 Intel Science Talent Search finalists in the Eisenhower Building

Michael Tomasky on GOP Plans to Sink the Economy: Every month brings improved job news – and bleaker prospects for the Republicans in November. Which is why they’re contemplating economic sabotage as their only hope.

We’re just under eight months away from Election Day now, which means that the GOP is starting to run out of time to think up new ways to ruin the economy so that Barack Obama doesn’t get reelected …. There are three fronts – gas prices, jobs, and the budget…

….. By opposing everything Obama wanted with such ferocity; by saying all those thousands of times that he had no clue about the economy; by sending out a parade of presidential candidates, from the semi-serious to the clown posse, all of whose central criticism of Obama is that he killed the economy – in all of these ways the party has more invested in economic failure than any out-party I can remember in my lifetime. Its best hope for now is gas prices, but even they eventually get lower, usually by late summer. Beyond that, all the GOP has to rely on is Mitt Romney’s unstoppable charisma.

Full post here

Thanks Loriah

Marketwatch: U.S. stocks rose Tuesday, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average and S&P 500 Index extending an advance into a fifth session, after retail sales climbed the fastest in five months in February.

“The rising sales were pretty impressive in that rising gas prices hasn’t hurt the consumer,” said Nick Raich, director of research at Key Private Bank in Cleveland …. The Commerce Department reported retail sales climbed 1.1% to $407.8 billion in February, while the prior two months were revised higher.

The upward revisions imply first-quarter economic growth could be “a bit stronger” than first estimated, noted Dan Greenhaus, chief global strategist at BTIG LLC in New York.

More here

National Journal: More Americans trust President Obama than congressional Republicans to make the right decisions to bring down the price of gasoline, according to a new poll, although neither side commands a majority.

What’s more, as prices continue to rise and the specter of $5-per-gallon gas for the summer driving season looms over the political landscape, the latest United Technologies/National Journal Congressional Connection Poll shows the public slightly more supportive of the energy priorities of the Democrats and the president than those of the GOP.

Forty-four percent of respondents trust Obama more “to make the right decisions to help bring down the price of gasoline,” versus 32 percent for Republicans in Congress….

More here

Deaniac (The People’s View): After Washington Post/ABC News put out their poll drastically over-representing GOP and Republican leaning voters, New York Times and CBS News have come up with brand new blunders of their own on their poll released late afternoon yesterday, showing the president at an approval rating of “all time low” 41%. This poll has the most glaring, dumbfounding proof that its sample is rigged staring at you in the very front page of the poll’s crosstabs.

More here

Jeez, I just don’t understand why the media is suddenly ignoring its favorite polling company, it’s a mystery!

Gallup

Raw Story: The Republican fight against health care rights for women may end up hurting the party on election day, according to a new poll. A Washington Post survey released Monday found that Democrats are perceived as caring more about issues that are important to women by 25 points, 55 percent to 30 percent.

The poll also showed that a large majority of all voters support the idea that businesses should be required to cover the “full cost” of contraception for female employees. Among all voters, 61 percent supported a mandate for birth control coverage, while 35 percent did not.

As MSNBC’s Steve Benen noted, 53 percent of voters were women in 2008 … “The gender gap was pretty enormous four years ago,” Benen wrote. “Don’t be surprised if it’s even bigger in November.”

Full post here

Steve Benen: In Arizona, Democratic Senate candidate Don Bivens released a new ad yesterday, targeting Republican Rep. Jeff Flake, and hoping to take advantage of the controversy surrounding Rush Limbaugh. It’s probably not the last 2012 spot we’ll see highlighting the right-wing radio host.

Liberal Librarian (The People’s View): According to Rick Santorum, I’m doubly un-American.  I was born in New York City and lived there until I was 16, at which time my family moved to Los Angeles, where I’ve lived ever since.  According to Rick Santorum, I have no values.  I don’t know the worth of an honest day’s work.  I don’t know the benefits of charity (in which he engages very sparingly).  I don’t know the duties of good citizenship.  My vote shouldn’t count, because as both a New Yorker and and Angeleno, I was never exposed to rock-ribbed, middle American values.  I’m an other.  And everyone who lives in my two cities are similarly lacking in American moral fiber.

Let me tell you a bit about my America.

Full post here

Kevin Drum (Mother Jones): In the upcoming issue of the Washington Monthly, Paul Glastris has a cover story called “The Incomplete Greatness of Barack Obama,” a headline almost guaranteed to set your teeth on edge….

….. A sidebar to Glastris’ piece lists Obama’s top 50 accomplishments …. Better to pare it down to 10 really top achievements in order to highlight how many truly major accomplishments Obama has been responsible for. So I did. Except I couldn’t get there. I cut it down to 13 and got stuck. Here they are, in the same order as the original Washington Monthly list (see post)

…. These are all big deals. Big fucking deals, to quote our vice president. Unless you’re just bound and determined to sulk in your tent while insisting that health care was a sellout and the stimulus was too small and Dodd-Frank was feeble and the mini stimuli were more like micro stimuli, there’s just no way around the fact that this is a historically colossal set of progressive accomplishments, especially in the face of a historically hostile political environment.

….. Unlike Paul Glastris, I’m not ready to start chiseling Obama’s mug on Mount Rushmore. But unless national security is pretty much your sole obsession, I really have a hard time understanding progressives who are disappointed in him. Obama has gotten more done for the progressive cause than Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter, JFK, or Harry Truman – and, on balance, nearly as much as LBJ, since he doesn’t have any epic disasters to weigh down his successes. For an actual, existing human being, that’s pretty damn good.

Full post here

Chefs Kevin Saiyasak and Jeremy Kapper harvest winter greens from the Kitchen Garden on the South Lawn of the White House, March 13

157 Responses to “afternoon all”

1. 5 iamwomanofcolor
    March 13, 2012 at 2:15 pm

all pictures of this awesome President, leave me speechless!

2. 6 Pamela
    March 13, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Whew, thought for a moment I was first again….

3. March 13, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Concerning cooked polls – this is for the low info voter who can only see PBO’s race. They don’t need to look deeper to see how fundamentally radical a shift the polls moved in less than a week. This is how well you can tell the President is doing – when #mediarazzi has to collude to create a lie to tell a lie about the President.

If you didn’t know better, you’d swear Sister Sarah was orchestrating this. She’s a bit upset: http://www.politicususa.com/sarah-palin-obama-racism/ Too bad!!

Ok, I’m not mentioning her anymore – time to starve her of all oxygen so she’ll go away.

#Presson #Imin2012

4. 8 Marsha
    March 13, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Does anybody know what last months fund raising totals were? I have heard anything from OFA or DNC

• March 13, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I think they only report the fundraising totals each quarter – and it’s usually a couple of weeks into the next quarter.

5. March 13, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Anyone–help! I want to bring over my comment from the last thread. It is right below chops new post notice. I know how to cut and paste and entire link/article, etc., but don’t know how to do just one comment. I know lots of you do it. Could someone find my post and move it over here, please!

• March 13, 2012 at 2:28 pm

….chips, not chops :)

• 15 lovingandlaughing
      March 13, 2012 at 2:32 pm

This below is from tnmtngirl since she above asked for someone to copy and paste it here for her:

March 13, 2012 at 2:16 pm
      Don’t know if any of you read what I shard last night about PO being the most Bibically hostile president in history. I sent that to Attack Watch. I just found this on my FB page and just sent it to Attack Watch. http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/overwhelm.asp#g0qhkwjBCRmz3tp5.01. How can people hate so much and/or be so frightened of one man? The guy who is sharing this crap is educated, retired corporate executive, Catholic, originally from St. Louis but retired in northern OH. He and my husband began their career together and moved up the ladder together for many years, then he surpassed my husband, in part because he is a a– kisser. So far I am totally ignoring these posts and believe that’s the best way to approach. He is exposing himself as one of the EXTREME right-wing nuts.

• 17 lovingandlaughing
          March 13, 2012 at 2:45 pm

you are welcome!

• March 13, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Guess what I just posted on FB? Three positive economic news…….the ones chips has on this thread, plus one I saw earlier today–Retail Sales post best gains in 5 months. None of them are from “left-wing” blogs. I used the “official” site. The first one posted, I said, “Love being able to share good news!” The succeeding two it was: And…..another piece of good news. I figure that is a much better way to push back against these idiots.

6. 20 defytheodds
    March 13, 2012 at 2:28 pm
  7. 21 yardarm756
    March 13, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I didn’t see any A A’s in the photo. That saddens me on many levels.

• March 13, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I hear you, yardarm. We’ll get there, is what I say.
      and I see that we are not there, yet.

March 13, 2012 at 2:44 pm

yardarm756, you won’t believe it but I look at the picture and the first thing that ran cross my mind is, I see no one black.

• 25 defytheodds
      March 13, 2012 at 2:50 pm

A Wake-up Call to Education

Minority students across America face harsher discipline, have less access to rigorous high school curricula, and are more often taught by lower-paid and less experienced teachers, according to new data from the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR).

Among the key findings are:

•African-American students, particularly males, are far more likely to be suspended or expelled from school than their peers. Black students make up 18% of the students in the CRDC sample, but 35% of the students suspended once, and 39% of the students expelled.
      •Students learning English (ELL) were 6% of the CRDC high school enrollment, but made up 12% of students retained.
      •Only 29% of high-minority high schools offered Calculus, compared to 55% of schools with the lowest black and Hispanic enrollment.
      •Teachers in high-minority schools were paid $2,251 less per year than their colleagues in teaching in low-minority schools in the same district.

• 26 defytheodds
        March 13, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Education Secretary Arne Duncan said the CRDC findings are a wake-up call to educators at every level and issued a broad challenge to work together to address educational inequities.

“The power of the data is not only in the numbers themselves, but in the impact it can have when married with the courage and the will to change. The undeniable truth is that the everyday educational experience for many students of color violates the principle of equity at the heart of the American promise. It is our collective duty to change that,” Duncan said.

• March 13, 2012 at 2:56 pm

It is depressing, Yardarm. Whatever the Asian community is doing with their kids when it comes to math and science, it needs to be bottled and sold.

• 28 yardarm756
        March 13, 2012 at 4:42 pm

First of all, there is no such thing as “time outs” we must let them develop those little ego’s dontcha know.
        Watch all the animals and how they teach their young.
        I could do volume on how and some of it deals with child abuse and expectations of your young.
        Bottom line, it starts with discipline.

• 29 Bill
      March 13, 2012 at 2:58 pm

One cannot be certain but I don’t seem to see any “grits eaters” either. The class divide in our country is not improving nor recognized as it should be.

• March 13, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I’m temporarily manager of a library in our system which is in a traditionally AA neighborhood. (My term of power is up this week.) I had a little girl last week who was doing a science experiment on buoyancy. She was, of course, African American. We went on the Google box, found a couple of different options for experiment, and she went off to figure out which one would get her the best grade. I hope she gets encouraged to pursue any dream she has, whether it’s in science or the liberal arts.

I can tell you for a fact that there aren’t too many African Americans in library school. (Or Latinos, for that matter.) It’s more than reprehensible that minorities aren’t better represented in graduate schools, especially as those of us who are minorities become the majority within not too many years.

• 33 lovingandlaughing
      March 13, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I feel as though I should add I am proud of all of these young people in the pic no matter what skin color they have. look at all of their bright, eager faces.

8. 35 lovingandlaughing
    March 13, 2012 at 2:34 pm

If I am ever first on a post in my lifetime the pic I’d like is the one of PBO talking to the preschooler who are looking out of a window. That is one of my favorite pics!

9. 41 defytheodds
    March 13, 2012 at 2:37 pm

photo/1

10. 42 Linda
    March 13, 2012 at 2:39 pm

HBO’s “Game Change” — an adaptation of the best-selling book about the 2008 presidential election — drew 2.1 million viewers in its initial run on Saturday, the Philadelphia Daily News reports. It’s now HBO’s best-rated original film in nearly eight years. Over the course of four weekend airings, the film drew 3.6 million viewers.

11. 43 eveingeorgia
    March 13, 2012 at 2:39 pm

@yardarm

Saddens me too yardarm. I am very concerned about AA youth, especially males. This article is really disturbing: http://criticalmassprogress.com/2012/03/13/report-says-minority-students-face-harsher-punishments/.

I have sons and a grandson. Sons are doing fine; my concern is for my grandson. Things look bleak for our children.

Would somebody please explain to me what’s going on with these contrasting polls ?!? I feel that somebody(ies) is/are deliberately ‘staining’ the information we receive.

12. March 13, 2012 at 2:42 pm

From pamelabrown to Kevin Drum: I’m ready to start chiseling PBO on Mt. Rushmore. Second term consolidations will make him a shoo-in. We have to WORK like those bogus media polls are correct. We will never stop going neighbor to neighbor; we will never stop exposing the lies and distortions. Just friggin’ count on it GOP=MSM.

13. 45 defytheodds
    March 13, 2012 at 2:43 pm

$7,610 a minute

As gas prices rise, oil companies just watch their profits increase. And yet, they’re still subsidized by Congress to the tune of $4 billion a year.
    That’s about $7,610 every minute.

To learn more about why gas prices are on the rise and President Obama’s strategy to take control of our energy future and avoid gas spike prices in the future, check out our new infographic.

14. March 13, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Hi Marsha and Theo 67,

From 2012, fundraising figures are coming out every month. For January, POTUS raised $29m. He has not issued figures for February yet. Yesterday there were figures for Mitt and Santorum. Yesterday there was an article that said that they did not have to release them until the 20th, I believe. Also another or the same one article about the Democratic major fund raisers meeting in North Carolina last weekend indicated that the February figures were very good.

15. 50 Bill R.
    March 13, 2012 at 2:52 pm

More evidence and analysis on the rigged NYT/CBS gas price POTUS approval rating poll:
    More analysis #NYTimespoll cooked the books to promote their gas price narrative http://www.thepeoplesview.net/2012/03

16. 53 defytheodds
    March 13, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Obama Administration Announces Together for Tomorrow

The White House Office of Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnerships, the U.S. Department of Education and the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) announced today Together for Tomorrow, a new initiative to spotlight existing and spur new community engagement in turning around persistently low-performing schools.

“Together for Tomorrow is aimed at changing the relationship between schools and community partners so everyone feels a shared responsibility to improve low-performing schools,” said Joshua DuBois, special assistant to the President and executive director of the White House Office of Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnerships. “Every child deserves an education that will enable them to succeed in a global economy. Faith and community groups are critical partners in this all-hands on deck moment.”

U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan announced the initiative during a town hall meeting at Memorial Middle School in Orlando, Fla.

“Community and family involvement can be the make or break factor in successfully turning around low-performing schools,” said Duncan. “Together for Tomorrow will provide real-life examples of how to effectively transform our struggling schools, and build a community-to-community support system that can help take this critical work to scale.”….

Following the official launch, regional Together for Tomorrow events will be held in demonstration site locations and other areas across the country in urban, suburban, rural and tribal communities.

• 54 defytheodds
      March 13, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Our future depends on all students getting a good education. And they need to be taught at an early age that school and being smart are cool, too. Thank you Mr. President & FLOUTS & your Administration for all that you’re trying to do in order to level the playing field…

17. 55 Jessica
    March 13, 2012 at 3:08 pm

It’s that time of the month again. My paycheck is coming up on the 15th and I’m browsing the Obama store. I think I might get this.

I’ll try not to go over $100. Lord help me.

18. March 13, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Can I just say that as someone who wishes he had a green thumb, that White House garden just makes me envious as all get out?

(Of course, with a puppy who likes to eat rocks, I shudder to think what he’d do with a vegetable garden.)

• 61 utaustinliberal
      March 13, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I used to share that sentiment LL, because my mom has a wonderful green thumb so I figured hey it must be in my genes. I went about planting a few things and I swear all that came out of the things I planted were worms. Everywhere. Worms of different shapes and sizes. Worms freak me out. I’ll repeat. WORMS FREAK ME OUT. After coming out of my mental stasis I screamed the place down and have NEVER EVER approached any type of planting. The idea disturbs me.

19. 63 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    March 13, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Big News Everyone

OUTSTANDING

Yes We Can … DO More Together

20. 66 defytheodds
    March 13, 2012 at 3:18 pm

This Great News!

Says AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka in a statement.

“With our endorsement today, we affirm our faith in him—and pledge to work with him through the election and his second term to restore fairness, security and shared prosperity.”

Yes We Can-Again!

21. 71 Linda
    March 13, 2012 at 3:27 pm

David Cameron just landed.

• 72 CTGirl
      March 13, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Saw that… I also saw this :-)

Not interested: Mr Cameron will not meet Republican Presidential hopeful Mitt Romney during his visit

• 75 Bill
      March 13, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I do not understand Cameron’s austerity program, but why can’t our conservatives be more like Cameron and the British Conservative Party?

• March 13, 2012 at 3:41 pm

The Tories in the UK are analogous to our conservadems. If Tories tried to pull what the GOP has attempted the past 4 years, they would never win an election again.

• 77 Bill
          March 13, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I think the difference is our “conservatives” are less educated, less curious, less empathetic, more superstitious, and more mean spirited than the Tories.

• March 13, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Much as I loathe the British Conservative party, Bill, I agree – they are pretty much the same as the Republican right on economic policy (Motto: I am NOT my brother’s keeper), but they’re not education-hating Neanderthals. And they (generally) leave God out of their politics. It’s about the only thing about them I respect.

22. 83 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    March 13, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Perfection from Bob Cesca and what should in_deed be the core message from now until 6 Nov 2012:

#PRESSON

23. 84 CTGirl
    March 13, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Pure comedy! Pailin Challenges Obama to a debate:-). Sr. Sarah we watched Game
    Change :-)

24. 89 Linda
    March 13, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Martin is going to parrot low poll numbers and high gas prices.

Boo…on Martin.

25. 100 defytheodds
    March 13, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Reid Dares GOP: Block Judicial Nominees, And You Will Also Stall The JOBS Act

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has a message for the Republicans: Filibuster over a dozen judicial nominees, as you’ve threatened to, and the country can watch for weeks as you hold up the bipartisan JOBS Act. I dare you.

Ever since President Obama used his recess appointment power to install the director of a powerful consumer protection agency, and members of the National Labor Relations Board, Senate Republicans have threatened to hold up all of his other pending nominees. Including judges.

Normally, there’s little a majority leader can do to thwart a determined minority bent on grinding the Senate to a halt. But Reid believes he’s found the leverage he needs.

Reid pulled procedural levers Monday to force action on 17 stalled, non-controversial judicial nominees to federal trial courts — just as the Senate was expected to take up the House-passed JOBS Act, a modest GOP-led bill to encourage economic growth by loosening regulations on small business capital formation.

26. 102 Linda
    March 13, 2012 at 3:47 pm

The Stock Market is smokin today…..

27. 103 carolyn
    March 13, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I too noticed no AA faces in the Science winners. This concerns me, and I am a 72 year old white woman who still teaches. I teach English Composition as an adjunct where I previously was full time. I teach students with low ACTs in English, trying to catch them up for college work. I have to admit that the majority of those students are AA, and I know why. Just what the statistics show: The schools they have to attend are less than they should be. However, they know they have to catch up, and work very hard. I wish some of these far right wingers could come to my classroom and watch the work.
    When students enroll at our school, each one is given a laptop computer…..most of our assignments and syllabi are now on line. The students from wealthy schools understand how to use them for education, but a number of my minority students don’t…at first. HOWEVER, in three weeks they are doing great…..they have had to conquer the learning curve of the computer and adjusting to college, and they do. I love my kids, and I think we get along very well. I’m a grandmother’s age and have that kind of outlook, and they all…..whatever color…seem to respond…..most kids like their grandmas:-)
    Actually, you know the laziest students I have…….white boys who feel entitled. Girls of all ethnicities work hard, and boys of minorities work hard, but the over class boys do not. These are just observations from my school.

• 104 utaustinliberal
      March 13, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Bless your heart Carolyn. Being a teacher is one of the hardest jobs in the world but also one of the most life changing in terms of how a teacher can affect a student’s life for the better or worse. Keep on keeping on. :)

• 105 defytheodds
      March 13, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Thank you Carolyn for all that you do & keep the faith!

28. 106 Linda
    March 13, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Priorities USA Action, a super PAC supporting the president’s re-election, will report $2 million in February donations, group officials said, including $1 million from the television host Bill Maher. Those amounts are substantial for Priorities USA and a related group, which together raised about $6.1 million through the end of 2011.

Yikes……

29. March 13, 2012 at 4:04 pm

So, the President and that Cameron guy will be at that basketball game tonight, and TruTV (http://www.trutv.com/schedule/index.html) are covering it live – and will interview the President and Cameron at halftime.

I don’t have TruTV, and I certainly would not approve of people watching it at links like these:

:???:

30. March 13, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Not sure if these were posted already (I haven’t been able to keep up with all the posts), but some of these pictures were new to me. These are from the dinner with the Obamas last week.

31. March 13, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Two Senate Republicans have introduced legislation that would overturn Justice Department regulations that will soon force public-access swimming pools across the country to install handicapped-accessible ramps and lifts or face a fine of up to $100,000.

The Justice Department regulations are set to take effect on Thursday, despite complaints from hotels and other organizations that the rule will require them to spend up to $9,000 to stay in compliance with the rule.

Now, the GOP is going after the Handicapped? SMFH!

32. 115 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    March 13, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Inescapable reality :)

#PRESSON

33. March 13, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Natural Gas bill just went down in flames/

Plans to spur the conversion of heavy trucking fleets to natural gas with billions of dollars in tax credits fell short in the Senate on Tuesday despite backing from Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and energy magnate T. Boone Pickens.

Senators voted 51-47 on an amendment by Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) and Richard Burr (R-N.C.) to sweeping transportation legislation, but it required 60 votes for passage.

The vote signals the tough road ahead for the plan despite support for natural-gas vehicle incentives among many Democrats, Republicans and President Obama, who in North Carolina touted his own proposals for boosting alternative-energy vehicles last week.

Oil or BUST!

34. March 13, 2012 at 4:21 pm

The Senate on Tuesday rejected plans to extend a host of lapsed or soon-to-expire tax breaks for renewable fuels and power sources.

Lawmakers voted 49-49 for Sen. Debbie Stabenow’s (D-Mich.) amendment to transportation legislation, but 60 votes were needed for approval.

35. March 13, 2012 at 4:26 pm

The Senate on Tuesday blocked an amendment to pending transportation legislation that would have mandated a huge expansion of offshore oil-and-gas leasing, opened the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to drilling and approved construction of the Keystone XL oil sands pipeline.

Sen. Pat Roberts’s (R-Kan.) amendment, which failed 41-57, would have also extended several energy efficiency and renewable fuels tax incentives and extend a pay freeze for federal workers, among other provisions….

So, to be clear, no to oil and gas development and no to green energy development.
    Makes for a zero energy plan!!!

36. March 13, 2012 at 4:27 pm

We were talking recently about the Duggers. Well, we’ve got our own family here in Knoxville area. The Bates family was just on our local afternoon program. They have a TLC show beginning tonight. They are very good friends with the Duggers. The Bates family also has 19 children and are hoping for 20 “if it is God’s will.” The kids are home schooled. The older ones are assigned a younger ‘buddy’ to take care of. I don’t get it!!!!

37. 123 GGail
    March 13, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Employment Opportunity

NEF Job Description – Data Manager (3-8-12).pdf (27KB)

The Data Manger plays a vital role in the organization’s national civic engagement program through provision of data driven analysis, research, and program support. The Data Manager is responsible for collecting, analyzing, and
    summarizing voter file data, demographic data, naturalization rates, and data collected through program activity,
    including: citizenship workshops/events, voter registration drives, phone bank operations, and our U.S. citizenship and voter information hotlines. The Data Manager will also lead pre-election voter targeting and analysis efforts; provide ongoing progress reports; and be responsible for all other data-related duties in departmental program development, implementation, and analysis. The position is responsible for maintaining detailed activity logs, appropriate records of research methods, and data manipulation processes used for archival and trouble-shooting purposes. This a full-time, non-exempt position, based in Los Angeles or Washington D.C. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. The NALEO Educational Fund is the leading nonprofit organization that facilitates full Latino participation in the American political process, from citizenship to public service.

38. 125 lamh35
    March 13, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Over at BJ there is a post up that says the Kevin drum piece is not really complimentary

• March 13, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I wouldn’t agree with that Lamh, I think it’s one of the very few I’ve seen from someone of his politics to actually give PBO credit for what he has achieved. He is, needless to say, still highly critical on some issues, but generally he gave credit where it was due. And that’s a rarity from the puritanical left!

March 13, 2012 at 5:18 pm

I am inclined to agree with the post that lamh is referring to for one reason. The article very clearly says that President Obama “despises” his progressive base. I don’t know how else that can be interpreted besides negatively, but if someone told me that they despised me, I would feel good about that person regardless of what else they said or did for me.

The thing I’ve noticed about too many of these supposedly “positive” Obama articles is that there is this almost compulsive need to undermine the thrust of the article by adding a heavily critical piece – usually one that jibes with memes and talking points but does not necessarily comport with reality. That’s the problem I have with the Drum article. He could have expressed his criticisms differently, but to say that PBO despises his progressive base is more than hyperbolic – it’s just false.

March 13, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Typo correction in line 3: …I would NOT feel good…

• March 13, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Yeah, Hopefruit, the ‘despised’ line jumped out at me too, I think the Professional Left truly flatter themselves if they think PBO wastes energy ‘despising’ them – or anyone else. Drum revealed a lot about the mindset, though, with that line, they think they are really important and occupy PBO’s thoughts. They’re not and they don’t, they’re a boil on the backside of liberal politics.

But I still give Drum credit for doing what almost none of his buddies do, acknowledge PBO’s progressive achievements. He tried to restrict his list to 10 achievements, and conceded he couldn’t, so he listed 13. And:

“Unless you’re just bound and determined to sulk in your tent …. there’s just no way around the fact that this is a historically colossal set of progressive accomplishments, especially in the face of a historically hostile political environment.”

“….. unless national security is pretty much your sole obsession, I really have a hard time understanding progressives who are disappointed in him. Obama has gotten more done for the progressive cause than Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter, JFK, or Harry Truman—and, on balance, nearly as much as LBJ, since he doesn’t have any epic disasters to weigh down his successes. For an actual, existing human being, that’s pretty damn good.”

Because of his politics I wasn’t at all surprised he threw in a bunch of criticisms, but as I said, I think he deserves credit for not Firebaggerishly refusing to acknowledge any of the good work PBO has done.

March 13, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Yes, to be fair, Drum must have lost some progressive “friends” and much sleep penning that column which had some definite positives about PBO. That “despise” line was obviously a silly attempt to placate those “friends” who probably still cut him off anyway. :)

39. 132 rikyrah
    March 13, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Quote of the Day
    By Steve Benen – Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:21 PM EDT.

Campaign Management 101 argues there’s inherent value in getting a candidate out in public as often as possible, shaking hands and meeting people. A voter who meets a candidate in person is far more likely to cast a ballot for him or her.

It’s counter-intuitive, but I tend to think Mitt Romney would actually be better off enjoying more quiet time by himself.

“You might be shaking the president’s hand,” Mr. Romney told a man in Mobile, where a rainstorm forced his supporters to seek shelter on the porch of a cafe.

Really, who talks like this? More importantly, who thinks like this?

40. March 13, 2012 at 4:37 pm

In a widely expected move, the AFL-CIO endorsed President Obama for reelection Tuesday. “Obama honors the values of hard work, of mutual respect and of solving problems together—not every person for himself or herself. He believes that together we will get through the most challenging economic crisis in memory and restore opportunity for all,” AFL-CIO president Richard Trumka said in a statement. “Each of the Republican presidential candidates, on the other hand, has pledged to uphold the special privileges of Wall Street and the 1%—privileges that have produced historic economic inequality and drowned out the voices of working people in America. “

41. March 13, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Folks we had a great day on the Market today, right? Over 200 points on the Dow.
    So, wait a minute, can’t have that take hold.

The FED, out of the blue, does a bank stress test.
    And citigrouo, Suntrust and Metlife flunked the test.
    Thus, Expect a selloff wednesday!
    It’s all so predictable, we cannot have to much good news for Obama!

• March 13, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Actually, the Administration announced the stress test a couple of days ago. What the Fed did do, which is quite weird, is move up the announcement of the results by two days. Very very odd.

42. 143 Bill R.
    March 13, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Obama leads in PA- PPP poll- by seven over Romney, just two over Santorum, the homey.

• 144 Jewelz
      March 13, 2012 at 5:07 pm

In a perfect world President Obama should be leading by at least 10 percentage points in every States in America.

43. 146 tally
    March 13, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Just wow.

44. March 13, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign is buying airtime in Illinois ahead of next week’s primary there, adding to the Romney super PAC Restore Our Future’s TV presence in the state, a GOP media-buying source tells me.

45. 151 collegekay
    March 13, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Saw this on tumblr. check it out http://obamalovesyouback.com/
    :D

46. 154 holymoly
    March 13, 2012 at 5:18 pm

I bet there are more people like this lady
    It’s depressing to think people will be against helping the ‘other’ unless they can benefit themselves :cry:

47. 155 vitaminlover
    March 13, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I just voted in the Alabama primary and I voted Democrat and proudly drew the line to connet MY President Obama as my choice and also voted for 4 female delegates and 4 male delegates. OBAMA/BIDEN 2012!!!!!

48. 156 HHO
    March 13, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Greetings! I’ve been a regular lurker of this site since BWD went on hiatus. I’ve been thinking about the corrupted polls that were just released for which many of you have commented. I have a theory and I wanted to share it. I think the Media and Repubs and their sympathizers are deliberately tampering with the polls to try to bring PBO’s poll numbers down to Willard’s numbers so they can continue to echo the lie that the race is going to be close in November. I think they will try to keep this going as long as they can and every now and then prop up Willard’s numbers. So when they try to cheat, they won’t be suspect. They will be suspect because look at how they have conducted their own primaries not two mention two presidential elections. The second theory is to make Willard look electable to republicans in their remaining primaries and thereby knock off Santorium.

One poll I would like to see is the one about a presidential candidate whose political theme is “Believe in America” but who really believes in America so much so that he hides his money in the Cayman Islands to avoid paying taxes.

I’ll go back to lurking now.

49. 157 carolyn
    March 13, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Don’t go back to lurking. I think you are on the right track. I seem to remember that the only polls the Obama campaign takes seriously is their own internal polling. Theirs is accurate, and we don’t get the result. That is why they knew to be ready for a celebration, not a concession in Chicago so early and so well.