Mar

rise and (st patrick’s day) shine

At the Tyler Perry Studios in Atlanta, March 16

See Perry’s introduction here

The Hill: President Obama will embark on a four-state tour next week to highlight his energy plan amid intensifying GOP attacks on the White House over soaring gas prices.

…. Obama will travel to Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Ohio on Wednesday and Thursday, and will deliver remarks in all four states. On Wednesday, the president will visit a solar facility in Boulder City, Nev. …. later Wednesday, he will tout the administration’s efforts to expand domestic oil-and-gas production at oil fields in Carlsbad, N.M.

Obama will travel to Cushing, Okla., Wednesday, where he will underscore the administration’s support for a major portion of the Keystone XL pipeline …. Lastly, Obama will speak about energy research at Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio.

USA Today: St. Patrick’s Day is coming late to Washington this year. The actual “holiday” is Saturday but the White House announced today that President Obama will host Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny on Tuesday.

“The president looks forward to commemorating his fourth St. Patrick’s Day in the White House with the Taoiseach and Mrs. Kenny, and to reciprocating the warm hospitality the Irish people extended to the president and Mrs. Obama during their visit to the Emerald Isle in May 2011,” the White House announcement said.

Also Tuesday, Obama will meet with First Minister Peter Robinson of Northern Ireland. House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, announced he will host Obama, Kenny and other officials at the speaker’s annual Friends of Ireland luncheon, also Tuesday.

Robert Shrum: Republican voters are now the political equivalent of Mitt Romney’s famously abused dog Seamus. Mitt has put voters on the roof of his car, and he’s driving for the nomination whether they like it or not. More accurately, he’s sputtering toward the nomination as the roof-bound electorate periodically poops on his parade…..

Full post here

Pic of the week?

Read Liberal Librarian’s post on The Road We’ve Traveled at The People’s View

Cagle

The Week

Morning everyone ;-)

305 Responses to “rise and (st patrick’s day) shine”

1. 1 Allison
    March 17, 2012 at 9:07 am

Good morning!

• March 17, 2012 at 9:12 am

Morning Allison, morning everyone ;-)

• March 17, 2012 at 9:38 am

HAPPY ST. PATRICK’S DAY to TODville!!!!

• March 17, 2012 at 9:46 am

Mooooooooooooorning Meta!

• 5 joanshaw
            March 17, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Ditto…

• 6 joanshaw
              March 17, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I did it! I’m no longer an outcast! Happy St. Patrick’s Day to Chipsticks and all of my friends on TOD!

This is good because my husband has had asudden heart incident, atrial fibrillation, which we thought was taken care of by something called oblation — neutralizing the nerves that cause this. We’re hoping it can be done again. We have to wait until the coumadin takes effect, thins his blood sufficiently, so that it won’t cause a stroke-threatening clot.

I’m practically catatonic with fear for him. He was working too hard, relaying a brick patio that was torn up from some excavation. Those TODers who pray, please pray for Alan. He’s such a good man. I don’t know what we’d do without him, especially I don’t know what *I’d* do without him!

• 7 joanshaw
                March 17, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I should have mentioned that joanshaw was formerly Joan Katherine Shaw (an ostentatious handle, anyway).

• 8 utaustinliberal
                  March 17, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I’m definitely going to be keeping you and your husband in my thoughts and prayers Joan. Sending healing, comforting thoughts your way.

• 9 lisalovesobama
                March 17, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Oh, Joan our thought and prayers are with you and your husband. Thinking of you and yours at this critical time. Much love.

• 10 Dudette
                March 17, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Oh so scary! I went through this with my Dad. I’m happy to say the treatment worked and 10 yrs later, he’s doing fine, still taking good care of everyone in my family.

Love, prayers and thoughts for your husband and you Joan.

March 17, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Joan I’m sorry to hear about your husband. My thoughts are with you, and I hope he is successfully treated and makes a full recovery.

• March 17, 2012 at 2:48 pm

My heart goes out to you, Joan. Please take good care and we will certainly keep your husband in our thoughts.

• 13 GGail
                March 17, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Joan, you and your husband Alan and your family will be in my prayers. My younger sister has a heart condition and is on Coumadin also.

• 14 purpleshoesla
                March 17, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Sending positive healing energy and thoughts to you and your husband, Joan.

• 15 yardarm756
                March 17, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Dear joanshaw I’m late to the thread today and yours is one of the first I’ve read today. I offer the following from my heart.

I hope you will enjoy it half as much as I have!!

I envy my brother, Kevin. Kevin thinks God lives under his bed. At least that’s what I heard him say one night.
                He was praying out loud in his dark bedroom, and I stopped to listen, ‘Are you there, God?’ he said. ‘Where are you? Oh, I see. Under the bed…’
                I giggled softly and tiptoed off to my own room. Kevin’s unique perspectives are often a source of amusement. But that night something else lingered long after the humor. I realized for the first time the very different world Kevin lives in.
                He was born 30 years ago, mentally disabled as a result of difficulties during labor. Apart from his size (he’s 6-foot-2), there are few ways in which he is an adult.
                He reasons and communicates with the capabilities of a 7-year-old, and he always will. He will probably always believe that God lives under his bed, that Santa Claus is the one who fills the space under our tree every Christmas and that airplanes stay up in the sky because angels carry them.
                I remember wondering if Kevin realizes he is different. Is he ever dissatisfied with his monotonous life?
                Up before dawn each day, off to work at a workshop for the disabled, home to walk our cocker spaniel, return to eat his favorite macaroni-and-cheese for dinner, and later to bed.
                The only variation in the entire scheme is laundry, when he hovers excitedly over the washing machine like a mother with her newborn child.
                He does not seem dissatisfied.
                He lopes out to the bus every morning at 7:05, eager for a day of simple work.
                He wrings his hands excitedly while the water boils on the stove before dinner, and he stays up late twice a week to gather our dirty laundry for his next day’s laundry chores.
                And Saturdays – oh, the bliss of Saturdays! That’s the day my Dad takes Kevin to the airport to have a soft drink, watch the planes land, and speculate loudly on the destination of each passenger inside. ‘That one’s goin’ to Chi-car-go! ‘ Kevin shouts as he claps his hands.
                His anticipation is so great he can hardly sleep on Friday nights.
                And so goes his world of daily rituals and weekend field trips.
                He doesn’t know what it means to be discontent.
                His life is simple.
                He will never know the entanglements of wealth of power, and he does not care what brand of clothing he wears or what kind of food he eats. His needs have always been met, and he never worries that one day they may not be.
                His hands are diligent. Kevin is never so happy as when he is working. When he unloads the dishwasher or vacuums the carpet, his heart is completely in it.
                He does not shrink from a job when it is begun, and he does not leave a job until it is finished. But when his tasks are done, Kevin knows how to relax.
                He is not obsessed with his work or the work of others. His heart is pure.
                He still believes everyone tells the truth, promises must be kept, and when you are wrong, you apologize instead of argue.
                Free from pride and unconcerned with appearances, Kevin is not afraid to cry when he is hurt, angry or sorry. He is always transparent, always sincere. And he trusts God.
                Not confined by intellectual reasoning, when he comes to the Lord, he comes as a child. Kevin seems to know God – to really be friends with Him in a way that is difficult for an ‘educated’ person to grasp. God seems like his closest companion.
                In my moments of doubt and frustrations with my beliefs, I envy the security Kevin has in his simple faith.
                It is then that I am most willing to admit that he has some divine knowledge that rises above my mortal questions.
                It is then I realize that perhaps he is not the one with the handicap. I am. My obligations, my fear, my pride, my circumstances – they all become disabilities when I do not trust them to God’s care.
                Who knows if Kevin comprehends things I can never learn? After all, he has spent his whole life in that kind of innocence, praying after dark and soaking up the goodness and love of God.
                And one day, when the mysteries of heaven are opened, and we are all amazed at how close God really is to our hearts, I’ll realize that God heard the simple prayers of a boy who believed that God lived under his bed.
                Kevin won’t be surprised at all!
                When you receive this, say a prayer. That’s all you have to do. There is nothing attached.

• March 17, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Hi Joan, so sorry to hear about Alan’s heart problem, wishing him all the best and a speedy recovery to the best of health.

• 17 MJ
                March 17, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I’m praying for you as well Joan. Blessings to you and Alan during this rough time.

• 18 HZ
                  March 19, 2012 at 12:50 am

Joan, I am just getting to this thread on Sun. evening. I posted a comment to you on another thread early today. However, I am reading your explanation of your husband, Alan’s condition, and my heart almost jumped out of my chest because I truly understand what you must be going through.

See Joan, I had a Catheter Ablation and an electrophysiology study back in 2004. I did not find out about my heart condition until early 2003. I have severe Tachycardia. It is very scary when an attack comes on, I must say. Also, I never know when an attack will come on. As you well know it is the electrical system of the heart where all of this takes place. However, I was able to find a great cardiologist, and he found me a great, great specialist who did the procedure. I love him very much because he actually was all up in my heart. Really..

I went through the procedure not knowing how I would come out, BUT I had faith in my doctors, and a lot of prayer. I mean a lot. I was scared, yes, because they actually go right into the heart. However, I just prayed, and asked God for the best team to be given to my specialist, and Joan, I had the best for me. The place was like something we see in a movie where every second everyone knew what to do and when to do it. It was so sterilized in that place where they performed the procedure, that it seemed like you could eat a seven course gourmet meal on the floor. And it was so peaceful the entire time. I knew that my life was in the hands of my wonderful specialist, but I had to trust a Higher Power to have him in His hands and all those who would touch me throughout the entire procedure. That is my belief system as I journey through this world. Grace and compassion with faith and trust.

I must say, it went great. They did what they had to do, but they could not burn the other node off because of it being too close to a nerve which would have put me at a greater risk. Thus the medication is now my partner. The last thing is a pacemaker. However, my doctor and I discussed it, and we have put that off for now. Yes, it is very scary, but I keep my faith as close to my chest as my heart is. My strength is in my faith to believe for the best. This is why I try so very hard not to get stressed, but so many times, I am not able to do that. That is the most difficult task that I have now in my life., avoiding stress. But I have to trust in my faith and prayer very hard and believe for the best also. Truthfully, it is not easy, and I will never lie to anyone and say that it is. For me, it is not. I struggle everyday, but I have to move with a trusting heart for something good to be a part of my life and try not to mess it up with unnecessary garbage that others will try to dump on me. Just do not allow your mind or body to accept garbage from anyone.

I know you are scared. I was scared. That is to be expected, BUT Joan, try to surround yourself with great friends, calm friends, and much faith in the doctors and his/her team. and pray for strength to go through it. I will ask for Alan’s team to be the very best, his doctor to be the best, and for Alan’s body to be peaceful and calm. That will help tremendously. That is how I will be praying for you, Joan and for Alan.

I will believe God for the best in Alan’s procedure. I will ask for you to be peaceful, surrounded by family and friends who are strong and pray for the best and believe for the best. I honestly will pray for you in this way. Please try to be peacful within as much as you humanly can, Joan. I love you, my dear one, and you have my prayers and good thoughts coming your way.(((((((((((God give you and Alan Complete Strength)))))))))HZ

2. 19 ourmanflint
    March 17, 2012 at 9:08 am

Good morning everyone. Hope you had a good night sleep Chips. |Thanks

3. March 17, 2012 at 9:10 am

I was just about to go to sleep.. but Im gonna watch the video first before I do lol HAPPY ST PATTIES DAY TOD!!!! :lol: Morning Chipsticks and everyone else :)

4. 21 Allison
    March 17, 2012 at 9:10 am

I live in Atlanta. The traffic yesterday was a nightmare. However, it was worth it because while stuck in traffic on 10th street, I was able to see President Obama’s motorcade. What a great experience.

5. March 17, 2012 at 9:11 am

Good morning. Thanks for the clip, Chips.

March 17, 2012 at 9:11 am

Morning TOD and Chips!

March 17, 2012 at 9:12 am

G’morning Chips & TOD :) Congrats to Allison on #1!

March 17, 2012 at 9:13 am

Is our President safely back in DC or did he overnight in Georgia?

• March 17, 2012 at 9:15 am

He got back late last night Hopefruit.

President Barack Obama walks down the stairs from Air Force One upon arrival to Andrews Air Force Base, Md. , Saturday, March, 17, 2012.

March 17, 2012 at 9:17 am

Great – thank you Chips!!! :) Hopefully he got some rest before another big day today. Isn’t his cousin Henry supposed to be visiting on this day (St. Patricks)?

9. 36 ctgirl7
    March 17, 2012 at 9:19 am

Good morning! Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

10. 37 lovingandlaughing
    March 17, 2012 at 9:20 am

I’m loving the shamrock at the top! Happy St Patrick’s Day Chips!

March 17, 2012 at 9:22 am

Nancy Giles is the best thing about this horrendous panel on Up With Chris. Ezra Klein sucks as a host. He is inept.

March 17, 2012 at 9:25 am

He’s inept yet he think’s he’s the smartest most talented thing that ever crossed the face of the MSM.

12. 41 donna dem 4 obama
    March 17, 2012 at 9:23 am

Good Morning TOD and Happy St. Patrick’s Day

Now prepare to bleach your eyes after this but there is a picture of Rick Santorum lounging poolside in Puerto Rico.

Ewwwwww :x

13. March 17, 2012 at 9:26 am

Good Morning Everyone!

14. March 17, 2012 at 9:28 am

I saw some political sci. prof. from Baylor U. on msnbc early today saying if PBO wins a 2nd term (he will!), it would place him among the top presidents in history. According to some statistical analysis, this would solidify him as a “transformative” president and put him in 4th place after Lincoln, FDR and Washington.

• 66 Smoothscotch
      March 17, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Good morning all,

Dotster, I saw that too. He went on to say that if he did not win a 2nd, then he would be behind Bush 1, according to his statistics, BS.

There’s too many things accomplished by PBO, that I findi that difficult to swallow.

15. 68 carolyn
    March 17, 2012 at 9:30 am

Read in our paper this morning, then saw on this blog, that the President will be in Oklahoma Wednesday, at Cushing, the big oil pipeline site, to discuss energy. He is a brave man! This was the one state where the President didn’t get his usual huge % of Democratic primary voters. He got 57%, if you can believe it, with three other nonentities getting the remaining %….stupid, stupid Democrats here.
    This is akin to Daniel going into the lion’s den, and I so admire him for this. He will always FACE opponents, not talk about them on twitter, or in speeches behind their backs. I was hoping to be able to get to see him, but my husband has cataract surgery in the morning and follow up app’t in the afternoon, so my day will be spent driving and waiting.
    We did see him the last time he was here, in spring 2007.
    Our Congressman, a know-nothing Republican, and yes he is a know-nothing, had a nasty comment about the President quoted in the paper, which is to be expected.
    Do these people complaining about gas prices never remember history? This ALWAYS happens before the summer driving season, and then prices go down about August. This is almost as regular as the equinox.

• 69 Don
      March 17, 2012 at 9:35 am

Right about now Carolyn, Oklahoma needs all the help it can get. Trust me, he will be welcomed with open arms. A person can only be stupid for so long before it starts to hurt.

• March 17, 2012 at 10:46 am

I have been sending pleas to WH about PO coming to Knoxville/Oak Ridge …..we have a fabulous new STEM high school and Oak Ridge!!!!!!! Great place for him to highlight. Yes, lions den but think it would help change lots of minds.

• 71 Diane
        March 17, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Hey Tnmtngirl, Although I now live in Georgia, Knoxville was my parents’ home. My bro lives in Farragut now AND is voting dem for the first time this election. He told me last month he couldn’t vote for a repub this time. His big issue has always been national security and he is voting Obama.

March 17, 2012 at 11:06 am

carolyn,like you I get tired of people complaining about gas prices as they drive around in their SUVs, big trucks, and gas guzzlers. But some folks want to sit around and blame the President. I know from the bottom of my heart if this President could do anything to bring gas prices down he would, but as so many people say whether gas prices go up or down it has nothing to do with Presidents of any party. But it is so easy to put the blame on someone else, instead of doing our party to cut back.

• 73 symmetry11
        March 17, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I was talking to my husband about gas prices last night. We both recall paying more under PGWB. Gas had gotten up to well over four dollars. I remember it very well b/c at the time I worked almost thirty minutes from home.

• 74 Mel
          March 17, 2012 at 1:32 pm

If only those fucking idiots STOP drivibf their fricking hamers that that would help in our
          comunity no body is blaming PBO for gas prices yes we have a BMW, but also a Civic Honda.
          The GOP will blame PBO for evrything they are a bunch of prics.

16. 75 Don
    March 17, 2012 at 9:31 am

I heard that on the radio as well, every interesting indeed.

17. 76 a4alice
    March 17, 2012 at 9:34 am

Morning TOD guess what? I got to meet Michelle Obama yesterday at the event in Minneapolis at the Walker Art Center! I got to meet her and I got my picture taken with her! It was such a thrill. I don’t even know what I said. I was going to say all this great stuff but when I got there – she gave me this big huge hug and said “thankyou for your work” and I said “thankyou for everything you are doing and please tell your husband thankyou” She said “I definitely will” and I know she said more stuff but my brain was totally gone. I know I got my picture taken with FLOTUS and that’s about it. then we went into this large room at the top of the Walker and she gave a great speech.

Wow. I’ll get the pic in a few weeks. when i do i’ll scan it and email it to Chips. I can’t tell you what a thrill it was.

Now look (I have my brain back today) it would not have been possible unless I had been volunteering for OFA. So this is a great reason to volunteer – these opportunities that can come your way that would not have happened without my participation. So I really encourage any and all who haven’t joined up to do so in their communities.

• 77 donna dem 4 obama
      March 17, 2012 at 9:44 am

Oh Alice Congratulations. I am so happy for you. Isn’t she stunningly beautiful in person? I just love her to pieces. What a thrill that had to have been for you and you are so deserving.

I’m so looking forward to seeing the picture!

• March 17, 2012 at 9:45 am

Ah wow Alice, that is FANTASTIC!!!!! Absolutely thrilled for you, can’t wait to see the photo! A beautiful reward for all your hard work.

• March 17, 2012 at 9:46 am

Cool! What a fun experience! I can relate to your momentary loss of words, but it sounds like you did just fine. I probably would be reduced to ga ga goo goo if I were ever in a similar situation. I was at a town hall once with then Senator Obama. Afterward, I approached the lady group who was surrounding him, kinda touched his elbow from behind, was going to ask for my book to be autographed. He never knew I was there, but I probably would have been reduced to blubbering if he had turned around. “Ummmmm book—-uhhhhhh sign…..pleasey pleasey thanky.

• March 17, 2012 at 9:47 am

Alice!! That is MAGNIFICENT!! Isn’t she absolutely gorgeous, inside and out? Congrats on a job well done!!

March 17, 2012 at 9:50 am

WOW Alice, what a terrific experience meeting FLOTUS in person! Sounds like she was thrilled to meet you too. This is like a dream. Thanks for sharing with us, and GOOD for you :)

• 86 prettyfoot58
      March 17, 2012 at 9:50 am

What an Awsome experience Alice….^5 to you……

smilin

• 87 Pamela
      March 17, 2012 at 9:51 am

Oh Alice, how very wonderful!

• 88 evonnc
      March 17, 2012 at 9:51 am

Oh a4Alice, what an opportunity and how exciting for you! I’m looking forward to seeing the picture.

• 89 a4alice
        March 17, 2012 at 9:56 am

Thanks guys – it was a knock out experience. OK I gotta get some chores done – back later! :-)

• 90 japa21
      March 17, 2012 at 10:00 am

Now I am super jealous, but possibly for other reasons than some here.

• 91 isonprize
      March 17, 2012 at 10:20 am

YAY A4Aliice!! That is so thrilling. YOU GOT A PICTURE WITH FLOTUS Michelle Obama!! WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!!

• March 17, 2012 at 10:36 am

Isonprize, I just sent you that video, check your email ;-)

• 93 isonprize
          March 17, 2012 at 11:09 am

Chica,

YOU ARE SIMPLY THE BEST!! BETTER THAN ALL THE REST!!

Words just can’t express what this means to me and my son!! WOOOO HOOOOO!!!

Now, out to a parent support meeting and getting more people registered to vote!

WE MUST RE-ELECT BARACK OBAMA as PRESIDENT of THESE UNITED STATES of AMERICA!!!

March 17, 2012 at 10:51 am

a4lice, Congratulation, Congratulation, Congratulation. It is my dream to one day meet FLOTUS. I love it when you guys meet POTUS or FLOTUS and come here to let us know what it was like to meet them. I’m so happy for you a4alice. :)

March 17, 2012 at 11:09 am

OMG, alice! That’s wonderful :) Bet she was more amazing in person (if that’s even possible!) Carry that hug with you ALWAYS!

• 96 andogriff
      March 17, 2012 at 11:46 am

What an incredible experience, Alice! Thanks for sharing it with us!

• 97 lovingandlaughing
      March 17, 2012 at 11:46 am

I am so happy for you alice! Thank you for sharing your story!

• March 17, 2012 at 12:20 pm

well done Alice, I’m so happy for you :)

• March 17, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Fantastic! You totally deserve it.

• 100 Dudette
      March 17, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Great story Alice! That had to be completely awe-inspiring. Cherish that moment!

I’ll add my thanks to the First Lady’s for the volunteer work you’re doing on behalf of our great President. Keep it up! You deserve hugs from all of us.

• 101 Cha
      March 17, 2012 at 3:20 pm

That’s Brilliant, Alice!! I can imagine how thrilling it must have been and the gift that keeps on giving!

18. 102 prettyfoot58
    March 17, 2012 at 9:38 am

Goooooooood Morning Chipsssssss……Gooooooood Morning,my Tod Fam…

those videos about the affordable care act…are so powerful…..i would like to see more of this…..stories told in the voice of regular people give a valid push to the President’s message….

I have to say that i am so Proud of our President…it makes me weapy when i think about how much he has done for our nation…make me want to go the extra mile to make sure he is re-elected….

NO Enthusiasm gap here…..

PRESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS ON!!

Yes We Can/Yes We Will

March 17, 2012 at 9:44 am

Good Morning and a Happy St. Patrick’s Day to All! It’s gloomy, overcast and a bit chilly where I am so I’m betting you guys all have the sunshine and warmth. ENJOY it, and then please send some back this way for tomorrow!

• 106 prettyfoot58
        March 17, 2012 at 10:02 am

GM Chipppppppps…

i would like to add my accolades to the all the accolades that so many of the TOD fam give to you,,,,,you have such an Extraordinary blog filled with Extraordinary writers….the work that you do provide a forum for dialogue….a place in which one can be informed as well as challenged to do more…the warmth….the passion….the concern among the bloggers for not only the President and his mission…for others here as well….there is no place like it…

i feel honored to be here….

also…Chips….

there was a link to LLs latest blog….if you could repost that link….i would be most appreciative…

Thank you…thank you for the work you do….

Pressssssssssssss ON!….

YES We Can/YES We Will……..

• March 17, 2012 at 10:35 am

You’re making me blush prettyfoot! :lol: You’re lovely, thank you so much!

Here’s the link for LL’s latest post, which I’m only getting around to reading now:

March 17, 2012 at 11:24 am

Great piece he wrote there! Must read and pass along….he has such a way with words :)

• 109 prettyfoot58
            March 17, 2012 at 3:00 pm

From LLs latest blog…Bravery…..

******************************************

Far from being a symbol of the post-racial society, Obama’s election unleashed America’s raging racial id, which had been papered over superficially. A black man is President, and for a significant segment of this country that’s not only unacceptable, but an evil, ungodly stain.

*****************************************

This frightens me….

It suggests that the gains that have been hard fought and won…can be turned back…..

and as you look around…as a result of the 2010 elections….their has been significant push back by the right….the attacks on voting rights of Black folks….Latinos…..those that are poor……womens rights…including contraception and abortion rights…..workers rights including the right to organize and collectively bargain…..

this is what has been wrought while we were sleeping…..

The Election of the Barack Obama…crystallized that fear…that hatred….and ripped off that thin cover of as LL puts it….”raging racial id”…

but but….

as the President has said in many of his speeches….

WE have been here before….and we will NOT go back….

so yes although these events frighten me….i will not let it deter me from fighting back…..and most importantly…joining with others as we march for JUSTICE….

YES WE CAN…..

YES WE WILL

March 17, 2012 at 10:45 am

;) CC! Raising a ‘glass’ to you this St. P Day, even though it only contains juice. VC

20. 111 Don
    March 17, 2012 at 9:45 am

Condi Rice’s speechwriter is a hoot; she talks glowingly about Ronald Reagan and his message of “rugged individualism.” Here’s a hint folks, if you work in government, you wouldn’t know “rugged individualism” if it bit you in the ass.

March 17, 2012 at 9:54 am

What is a Bush speechwriter doing on a supposedly “liberal” show giving our Democratic President advice on foreign policy? I still don’t get the whole point of the Ezra Klein panel. And apparently folks on Twitter are pissed off about what they perceive to be a show entirely devoted to bashing President Obama.

• 113 donna dem 4 obama
        March 17, 2012 at 10:01 am

Great big :?: about MSNBC. With the exception of a Martin and Rev Al they spend more time “leaning right” than “forward” IMO.

• 114 Don
        March 17, 2012 at 10:02 am

I don’t even watch MSNBC on the weekends anymore, I watch old episodes of “Law and Order.” Although I know the outcome, I still love watching the process.

• 115 Smoothscotch
        March 17, 2012 at 12:40 pm

A speech writer giving advice on foreign policy? I was up early, ridiculous 4:00A.M. By the time that show started, I was sleepy saw who the panel was, especially Kan’t and tuned out. That show, IMO, is a waste of time.

• 117 57andfemale
      March 17, 2012 at 11:00 am

This show was completely insufferable. The Pundit Who Must Be Carded and has about 5 minutes of life experience (read: Ezra Klein) should grow the hell up and realize the consequences of his actions before he opens his un-filtered mouth. He’s extremely bright and as I said yesterday, was my go-to guy on ACA, but he’s a child who really should only be hosting a show on his college radio station, not moderating what should be a serious panel on a major news network. Weighted with a Condi speechwriter and Jodi Kantor? I like Hertzberg, but he’s way too much of a gentleman to make enough of an impact on a stacked panel like that. That’s not ‘fair and balanced’ — it’s the opposite.

If I wanted to listen to breathless half truths about how evil PBO is, I’d watch Cenk.

I admit to watching very little of it — I couldn’t take it.

I was going to give MHP another try, but after the promo where she again must tell her audience that she is Smart and a Nerd, I’m going to scream. I’m smart. I’m a nerd. If you’re really smart you don’t need to telegraph it every five minutes.

What a waste of good air time.

• 118 utaustinliberal
        March 17, 2012 at 11:20 am

Completely agree with you regarding Ezra Klein hosting Up With Chris and his horrendous panel of Elise Jordan and Jodi Kantor.

21. March 17, 2012 at 9:46 am

Sweet! You got to experience the FLOTUS hug :-)

22. 120 carolyn
    March 17, 2012 at 9:52 am

Don, you are right about Oklahoma needing all the help it can get. The fools opted out of the ACA, so we are again at the botto of the deck in health care provisions. People are coplaining about Obamacare, not knowing they have no access to it. Supposedly the state is going to create an exchange…..it hasn’t happened, it won’t happen, and the critical mass is not available for a well functioning and economic exchange.
    I hope eventually people here begin to wake up, but sadly, I don’t see signs of it yet. We are going steadily backward!

23. 124 Pamela
    March 17, 2012 at 9:54 am

Good Morning, and a Happy St. Paddy’s to each and every one! With a special shout out to our own bonnie wee Chipsticks, the lass with the green a-runnin’ in her veins, and I don’t mean beer! Wear your emeralds today Chips! off to work! Byeeeeeee!

24. March 17, 2012 at 10:00 am

Not only that, but Mahers show last night were all Tea Baggers.
    Dylan Ratigan, really?

25. 127 japa21
    March 17, 2012 at 10:03 am

Happy St. Patty’s day everybody. Being half Irish (if originally Orange Irish) this is a special day for me. Greeen beer and green Hostess snoballs.
    There is one big irony in the last cartoon of Romney with Santorum on his ass. Actually two ironies. The first is that it shows a larger crowd than Romney will ever see except at the convention. Secondly, it represents dog on man. Not sure Santorum would go for that.

26. 128 mtmarilyn
    March 17, 2012 at 10:09 am

Happy St Paddy’s Day Chips and TOD family! Hope everyone that wants to gets to have some green beer today! Have a great day!

27. March 17, 2012 at 10:31 am

Vice President Joe Biden on Thursday assumed the role of top campaign surrogate for President Barack Obama, harshly criticizing the economic policies of Republican presidential contenders Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum as a threat to the American middle class.
    “If you give any one of these guys the keys to the White House, they will bankrupt the middle class once again,” Biden told autoworkers in Ohio, a key battleground state for Obama’s re-election bid in November.
    The speech at a United Auto Workers hall in Toledo was the first of four planned in coming weeks by the vice president. It came hours before the Thursday night release of a 17-minute documentary that frames the narrative of the Obama presidency.

28. March 17, 2012 at 10:33 am

Happy St. Patrick’s Day TOD.

March 17, 2012 at 10:38 am

This is the 2012 version! Note one of the lines in the 1st verse :”Forget the Tea Party and all the drama!”

March 17, 2012 at 11:01 am

Well Hf, thank you for today’s exercise! I twisted and jiggled and stomped to those eight minutes of beauty AND worked up a mini sweat. The feeling of pride for my having exercised today should last for a good couple of days! Thanks. ;)

March 17, 2012 at 11:37 am

Sing-along Lyrics:

Chorus:

O’Leary, O’Reily, O’Hare and O’Hara
      Our Irish President, Barack O’Bama

Verse 1:

You must believe it
      He’s here to stay
      The Irish President will have his day
      Forget the Tea Party and all the drama
      Two-thousand and twelve (2012) it’s Barack O’Bama!

So Megan Smolenyak and Steve O’Neil
      What a family tree, you did reveal
      From Moneygall Town in old Offaly
      The President’s roots, and his family!

Chorus:

Too ra loo, too ra loo, too ra loo, too ra lama
      Vote Irishian President Barack O’bama

Verse 2:

He’s as Irish as Riverdance, Guiness and Joyce
      Two-thousand and twelve (2012), there’s only one choice
      Frrrrom Boston to Austin, and up to Montana
      They’ll be votin’ for President Barack O’Bama!

Chorus:
      O’Leary, O’Reily, O’Hare and O’Hara
      Vote Irishian President Barack O’Bama

Verse 3:
      He fought like a tiger, as “CARE” was his aim
      He took on the bankers at their own game
      Justice for all; that is his goal
      O’Bama he’s got the old Irish soul

Chorus:
      Too ra loo, too ra loo, too ra loo, too ra lama
      Our Irish President Barack O’bama

Verse 4:
      Two-thousand and twelve (2012), the shamrock will flow
      When our famous President gives it a go
      And old Sarah Palin, well her destiny
      A reality show on cable TV

Chorus

O’Leary, O’Reily, O’Hare and O’Hara
      Vote Irishian President Barack O’Bama
      From the green dams of Antrim to
      There’s one Irish President Barack O’bama!

O’Leary, O’Reily, O’Hare and O’Hara
      Vote Irishian President Barack O’Bama
      Too ra loo, too ra loo, too ra loo, too ra lama
      Vote Irishan President Barack O’bama

• 137 prettyfoot58
      March 17, 2012 at 1:20 pm

LOVE THIS ….

• 138 GGail
      March 17, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Good wet west coast morning TOD family

Good Irish wet west coast morning O’Chipsticks!

Happy St. Patrick’s Day everyone :-)

Thanks so very much hopefruit2 for this rousing current edition of “Our Irish President, Barack O’Bama”

I LOVED IT!!!!!

• 139 joanshaw
      March 17, 2012 at 3:03 pm

These are simply wonderful, hopefruit2!

• 140 Cha
      March 17, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Thank you, hopefruit!~ An ol’ soul, Barack Obama! What a wonderful St Paddy’s Gift!

30. 142 Squarepeg
    March 17, 2012 at 10:43 am

Happy St Patty’s Day everyone..

OMG guys You’ve got to read this! (chippy I think you should even post some of this)

From the OBL papers that were captured from his compound

Quote:Bin Laden’s biggest concern was al-Qaeda’s media image among Muslims. He worried that it was so tarnished that, in a draft letter probably intended for Atiyah, he argued that the organization should find a new name.

The al-Qaeda brand had become a problem, bin Laden explained, because Obama administration officials “have largely stopped using the phrase ‘the war on terror’ in the context of not wanting to provoke Muslims,” and instead promoted a war against al-Qaeda.

Quote:conservative critics of the administration’s national security policies have complained bitterly about the president’s choice of words. Rudy Giuliani, the Cheneys, Joe Lieberman, and others insisted counter-terrorism successes were nice, but what really mattered was Obama using the phrases they wanted to hear.

The president, these detractors said, should be talking constantly about the “war on terror,” “violent Islamist extremism,” “Islamic extremists,” etc. The emphasis, conservatives said, should be on religion and terrorism in general.

The Obama administration largely ignored this criticism, and used more constructive language — talking about al Qaeda specifically, not “Islamists” — whether Dick Cheney and Joe Lieberman were satisfied or not.

31. 145 whatisworking
    March 17, 2012 at 10:45 am

I just received this in my email

Wanted to get your thoughts on it and suggest we make it a CALL to ACTION on Monday

From AFL-CIO

Urgent: Congress is rushing to deregulate Wall Street—pushing a cynically named “JOBS Act.” This bill could pass as early as Monday.

Senate Democrats, including Jack Reed, Carl Levin and Mary Landrieu, have offered the “INVEST in America Act” to amend the “JOBS Act” and make it less harmful. We need to support these amendments while making it clear that working families oppose the so-called JOBS Act bill.

Please urge your senators to vote FOR the “INVEST in America Act” to make the JOBS Act less harmful to workers and consumers—and AGAINST the cynically named “JOBS Act” bill.

America needs jobs. Yet Congress has not yet passed basic legislation like a measure to reauthorize surface transportation programs, which would create hundreds of thousands of jobs. Instead, next week Congress once again will look to deregulate Wall Street.

Workers’ retirement savings will be at greater risk of fraud and speculation if securities market deregulation once again is railroaded through Congress. Our economy will be at risk from the folly of policymakers promoting financial bubbles and ignoring the needs of the real economy.

The AFL-CIO calls on Congress to set aside the politics of the 1%, the old game of special favors for Wall Street, and turn to the business of real job creation.

Urge your senators to vote FOR the “INVEST in America Act,” which will amend the JOBS Act to make it less harmful to workers and consumers—and AGAINST the cynically named “JOBS Act” bill.

Thank you for all the work you do.

In Solidarity,

Richard L. Trumka
    President, AFL-CIO

March 17, 2012 at 11:05 am

Oh dear! And there I was the other day thinking that Cantor and Boehner had finally come up with something workable. You really cannot trust these guys to truly consider the well-being of America. :( I confess I was so hoping they had come around, and were trying to save face. I won’t make the same mistake again.

• March 17, 2012 at 12:29 pm

This is hardly the first time that Congress has tried to push through their garbage under the guise of a Job Bill.

March 17, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Yes, Tien, but dummy me didn’t check into the details, thinking given time they were ready to cash in on the PBO upswing and be a tiny bit rational. I know, I know now, never to blink where these tools are concerned. (ps Don’t be too ‘harsh’ TL – sometimes I’m slow, but I eventually learn ;) )

• 149 57andfemale
        March 17, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I had heard it was a modest bill but this is the first I’ve heard that the bill is detrimental.

32. 150 taiping1
    March 17, 2012 at 10:54 am

Happy St Patricks Day and a special thanks to Chipsticks for all she does to inspire, educate, and expand this TOD community. As PBO says the stakes have never been higher. I am thankful for our community of organizers who will go out all to insure another four years and a democratic Congress! Press on.

33. March 17, 2012 at 10:58 am

Ye gadzilla, talk about lost posts.

34. March 17, 2012 at 11:00 am

Top of the morning to Ms Chips and the TOD family. Just energigizing watching the Prez in movement,here,there and everywhere.
    O/T Grrr at WordPress…..but still thought I would give it a go this morning! Whew.

March 17, 2012 at 11:13 am

I would guess that by now you guys are all in receipt of Stephanie Cutter’s tipsheet in which they draw attention to Willard’s investment in China among other topics. I love this quote -

‘From a man who’s repeatedly attacked President Obama’s trade policy with China, and who claims his millions of dollars are only invested in companies that “conform with my political positions,” this is huge.’

• March 17, 2012 at 11:24 am

““conform with my political positions”

That line speaks volumes.

March 17, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Doesn’t it just! That’s why I often say that when Willard speaks the truth we should believe him, even when that truth reveals a callous/heartless individual, cause that’s who he is at heart.

36. March 17, 2012 at 11:23 am

Looks like all on twitter agree with my assessment. MSNBC Sat. morning is a complete waste of air time. All this new programming is a disgrace. MSNBC seems determined to allow Repub pundits free reign on their programs to blab lies and rewrite history. Hosts—whether Chris, Ezra or Melissa—-seem to be bending over backwards to prove they are not liberal Democrats. They ignore or are ignorant of facts, are not willing to challenge any of the preposterous statements by their rt. wing guests. Why can’t they use that air time to tell truths, to make clear all the positive changes that have taken place under President Obama’s leadership? We have so many other media outlets which promote rt. wing lies. Can’t we have just one place where we don’t need to be bombarded with this nonsense?

March 17, 2012 at 11:48 am

The three people that you mentioned – Chris, Ezra and Melissa seem more invested in advertising how smart they are rather than doing the job of reporting facts about current events and giving objective political analyses. Their narcissism makes make them want to one-up PBO and it’s reflected in the almost petty and insincere dynamic that often permeates their shows. They are obsessed with him because he has something they wish they had, yet don’t want to give him credit for having. It’s sickening.

March 17, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I can’t take all that B.S that you guys watch, Chris Hayes, Ezra,, Melissa,Chris Matthews, Rat-igan, Alex Wagner and that other Alex . I know they will rub me the wrong way, so I choose not to watch them.

• 159 Roberta in MN
        March 17, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Do you think this also stems fromthemnot being in the inner circle of the WH? Or not being invited to the State Dinner? You know, people can be pretty petty. Ther are times, I have had to turn MHP off, same as Chris Hayes, Matthews and Rachel. They really are full of themselves. Pretty sad state of affairs. Good Day to all TOD’ers

• 160 prettyfoot58
      March 17, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I did not view all of Chris Hayes program this morning…but the part that i saw i was not appreciative all….i must say that i am not adept of all things Afghanistan…but i felt the message was that the President was imcompetent with regards to Afganistan or at the least that his policies have not worked….

like i said i cannot make a real assessment but it did not feel right to me….i will have to read more on the details

I watched all of her program this morning….and i found it to be very enlightening…..the segment on the NAACP taking the issue to Voter Supression to the United Nations…..Talking about the HHS meme on contraception….about the role of radio in the public discourse….her two guest…Sandra Fluke….and a young woman who was part of the NAACP to the UNited Nations…who had been was championing those who have been incarcerated…and served their time/still being denied the right to vote…..in addition there was a lot of discussion about the serious attack on women from the Repub legislatures around the country…

i do not agree with the assessments of her program from the the land of twitter or others…..

i enjoyed her program today…i plan to watch tomorrow….

Pressssssssssssss ON!!

• 161 Left-Indie
        March 17, 2012 at 3:29 pm

The blanket statements on MSNBC is weird to me. Today’s show sucked largely because of Ezra. Ezra is brilliant but got a long way to go as host. Melisa is still on the learning curve, but no one brings up some of the issues she does ANYWHERE on tv land. There’s no one at MSNBC that is even remotely comparable to FOX poison. When liberal folks here and elsewhere advocate for their demise, what do they think will replace them? More locks ups? In the meantime, FOX continues with their 24/7 hate. Air America is barely alive on the radio, lets beat the drums for killing the few liberal voices on TV, too. Yay!

37. March 17, 2012 at 11:30 am

Friends, I am at an all day evangelism meeting which is awesome. However, I spotted three links from one of my pesky naysayers on FB. he has posted some VERY negative links from Investors Daily about ACA, budget ,deficit. I will share later today with more info. Be on the lookout.

38. March 17, 2012 at 11:34 am

SATURDAY, MARCH 17, 2012

President Obama and Cartoon Network Team Up Against Bullying
    President Barack Obama Joins Cartoon Network To Speak Up Against Bullying

“ATLANTA–(BUSINESS WIRE)–President Barack Obama will deliver a special opening message that will introduce viewers to Speak Up, the original documentary from Cartoon Network that captures the authentic, everyday stories of America’s bullied kids and the youth who have helped them. Having already recognized the importance of dealing with this crucial issue by hosting the first-ever bullying prevention summit at the White House in 2011, Mr. Obama will speak to viewers, not only as the President but as a father and emphasize the importance of taking a stand against bullying.”

39. 166 carolyn
    March 17, 2012 at 11:38 am

Jovie…actually Randall Terry didn’t get one delegate. He hadn’t filed correctly with the State Party and is not considered a Democrat by them. He admitted he just ran to draw votes from the President. So, he won’t even get one delegate, the President gets all of them. That was in the Oklahoma City paper this morning. As with all of these challengers…..”full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.”

March 17, 2012 at 11:43 am

MUST READ>>>>Republicans plan to destroy Medicare. Lindsey Graham says we should TRUST THEM! ROTFLMAO!

Are Republicans ready to be trusted with the reins of power?

If you’re thinking of answering this in the affirmative, you might want to pause long enough to learn what transpired on the third floor of the Capitol on Thursday. There, four prominent Republican lawmakers announced their proposal to abolish Medicare — “sunset” was their pseudo-verb — even for those currently on the program or nearing retirement.

In Medicare’s place would be a private plan that would raise the eligibility age and shift trillions of dollars worth of health-care coverage from the government to the elderly. “This will be the new Medicare,” Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), the proposal’s author, announced.

For years, Republicans have insisted that they would not end Medicare as we know it and that any changes to the program would not affect those in or near retirement. In the span of 20 minutes Thursday, they jettisoned both promises.

41. 171 Linda
    March 17, 2012 at 11:51 am

“I am writing to inform you that we have cancelled the Annual Awards Gala that was originally scheduled for May 17, 2012,”

Blythe Masters, the chair of the board of directors for the Greater New York City affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure, wrote in a letter dated yesterday. Now, why would that be? Instead of an event for which tickets might to sold to all sorts of people—some, presumably, still angry that the national Komen organization had tried to cut its ties to Planned Parenthood before pressure from its supporters made it reverse that decision—there would be another kind of event:

I would, however, like to cordially invite you to join me as my special guest at Keeping the Promise: The Grantees’ Breakfast, where we will announce our new 2012-2013 grantees…

The Grantees’ Breakfast; will, the letter noted, be “by invitation only.”

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/closeread/2012/03/susan-g-komen-wheres-the-party.html#ixzz1pOEV2FLp

42. 172 purpleshoesla
    March 17, 2012 at 11:57 am

A good West Coast Top of the mornin’ to you TOD lasses and lads!

It is a windy and rainy St. Patty’s day here in Los Angeles. Perfect day for some corned beef and cabbage. Altho I have no Irish roots, I did grow up in Boston, where “everyone is Irish on St. Patty’s Day”, and have fond memories of many a St. Patty’s Day celebration in Beantown.

Have a good day everyone. and yes as someone said earlier, let’s drive those Repugnant snakes out of Washington and across the country on Nov. 6, 2012! Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

43. 173 JER
    March 17, 2012 at 11:58 am

THIS IS AN EMAIL FROM SENATOR DICK DURBIN:

A few years back, we visited the parents of a former staffer, Anne Marie Murphy. We had a grand time in their home near Dublin, and her mom served the best “Irish Brown Bread” we ever tasted.

As a special St. Patrick’s Day treat, we are sharing Mrs. Murphy’s Brown Bread Recipe.

Have a great St Patrick’s Day.

Dick and Loretta

14oz brown flour
    2oz white flour
    1 level teaspoon bread soda (baking soda)
    Pinch of salt
    Fist of pinhead oatmeal
    1 tablespoon (max) brown sugar
    1 3/4 cup buttermilk
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 egg

1) Mix wet ingredients together.
    2) Mix dry ingredients together.
    3) Pour wet on dry, mix, and put in greased and floured tin.
    4) Bake at 375°F for approximately 1 hour.
    5) Cool in tin.
    6) Enjoy!

44. 174 andogriff
    March 17, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Thanks so much for all the great photos, videos, articles and cartoons! You are the best, Ms Chips… and a very happy St. Patricks Day to you and everyone! (I am only a quarter Irish, but every little bit counts.)

45. 175 proudmemberofglobalzero
    March 17, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Enjoy:

Chores for a time today….finishing book the rest of the day. ” In The Woods” by Tana French is a great escape for later today.

March 17, 2012 at 12:09 pm

From Greg Sargent…. And there are no female guests on this week’s Sunday shows, which makes sense, since women’s issues have completely receded from the headlines lately.

Just shows the “importance” they place on women. Shut up and deal with it is their motto! If women don’t scream out en masse, we will all be barefoot and in the kitchen! After all, we are just a vessel for semen now!

47. 181 Linda
    March 17, 2012 at 12:09 pm

John Edwards Must Pay Gov $2.1 Million, FEC Rules

The Federal Election Commission announced late Friday that the campaign of former Sen. John Edwards (D) must repay the government $2,136,507 to cover excessive matching funds received during his 2008 run for president. More to come.

March 17, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Charles Pierce has such a way with words :) http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/mitt-romney-campaign-plan-7346196?click=news

I keep hearing on the teevee that Willard Romney, putative Republican frontrunner, “needs a new message.” Apparently, his current one, which can be fairly summarized as “I will drag my balls a mile over some ground glass on live television if it’ll get me 1,000 votes from you snake-handling dimwits,” is not resonating with the snake-handling dimwits in question. Because I once was one of Willard’s constituents in Massachusetts, I feel it is my duty to help him in this difficult task. So here’s my notion:
    “I’m Willard Romney — and I’m all you got, bitches.

Keep reading!!!

49. March 17, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Tien Le turns the big six oh today.

50. 237 Linda
    March 17, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Five Big Takeaways From Obama’s Documentary

I cannot tell …….Is this a backhanded compliment ? ” Slick” new re-election documentary. ? Ignoring 2011 ?

51. 238 LDS
    March 17, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Happy St.Patrick’s Day, Chips and everyone. It is a beautiful sunny day here in New York.

Chips, Thank you for one of my favorite videos of the President and First Lady in Ireland. Love it so much because it was during that time there was so much hate and disrespect from his own homeland. I was so glad they were showed much love and respect there, it just made my heart proud. I needed to see that as much as they needed to feel it openly displayed miles away from home.

I will check in later, weather is too beautiful to stay in . Have a scheduoed meeting at the home of volunteers, Women For Obama to try and get to see her Monday here in New York and see if they need us to help out.

52. March 17, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Top o’ the mawhnin’ TODdychauns!!! Luck of the Irish to all on this great getting up day!! Now as for the beach pics and comments at the top of the thread, well I’ll just say thanks Chip for beginning my day with the best eye candy ever. For a minute I thought I might need two naughty mats, cause one just wouldn’t hold all that I was thinking.

53. 240 EDP4BHO
    March 17, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Hello TOD. I’m listening to NPR, a cooking show, and a writer named Christina is telling the host that she attended the state dinner last week at the WH. She was intimating how close PBO and Cameron are, that they are “in love” with each other…LOL. The host wanted her to dish on the visit. She told about the menu and the pairing of American and British cuisines; how chummy FLOTUS and Clooney were sitting next to each other and that it must be fabulous being Michelle Obama. The overall atmosphere was electric and friendly. The radio host was beside herself with interest. Just thought I’d share. Out and about, have a great day everyone.

54. March 17, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Odd. The WH is behind the House version of the jobs act, but biig labor is not.
    Odd!

55. March 17, 2012 at 1:00 pm

You can say that again.

March 17, 2012 at 1:17 pm

POTUS visits Irish pub in DC!

March 17, 2012 at 1:19 pm
      • 245 Linda
        March 17, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I am happy they chanted 4 more years….but …..sorry…there is NOTHING awesome about a drunken crowd…..not even on St.Pat’s Day.

March 17, 2012 at 1:41 pm

The sense I get from this post is more of a tipsy, cheerful and happy-spirited type of drunkenness…not the destructive, angry or violent type of drunkenness.

• 247 Dudette
      March 17, 2012 at 1:25 pm

That is SOOOO cool! This President of ours is pretty damned awesome!

March 17, 2012 at 1:38 pm

More!

57. 250 Linda
    March 17, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Two Men Disrupt Santorum Rally, Kiss As They Are Thrown Out

Two men who kissed one another were kicked out of presidential candidate Rick Santorum’s rally Friday evening at Christian Liberty Academy in Arlington Heights.

Santorum was 15 minutes into his speech when the two men shouted and got the attention of the crowd. They exchanged a kiss, prompting guards to eject them and the crowd to chant “U-S-A” while they were leaving the gym.

When asked whether the kiss was a public display of affection or merely a symbolic act, Timothy Tross of Lombard and Ben Clifford of Algonquin, declined to comment.

“I don’t think the message should be about what my sexuality is,” Tross said. “It’s the message that he’s saying about sexuality that matters.”

March 17, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Dropping off another Irish quote, to make sure everybody’s still smiling on St. Patrick’s Day:

“It’s not that the Irish are cynical. It’s simply that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody.”
    - Brendan Behan, Irish poet and storyteller

59. 252 Pamela
    March 17, 2012 at 1:49 pm

St Paddy’s snow in Seattle!

60. March 17, 2012 at 1:51 pm

SPD in DC with POTUS . . .
    Continuation from posts above. . .

61. 256 aquagranny911
    March 17, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Happy St. Patrick’s Day to all! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TIEN LE!!! ♥

Far as I know, I don’t have an Irish gene in my body but my Irish friend tells me that everybody is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day.

62. 258 purpleshoesla
    March 17, 2012 at 1:56 pm

O/T -Blair Underwood (another exceedingly fine black man) is heading up an all star AA cast in Tennesee Williams “Streetcar Named Desire” on Broadway! Previews start on April; Terence Blanchard has written the musical score. Would love to able to hop a plan to NYC to see this..

• 280 Cha
      March 17, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Thank you, lisa~ There’s no one as Irish as Barack O’bama and our very own Chipsticks..la la la. Happy St Paddy’s Day to all you Hot Toddies!

63. March 17, 2012 at 2:22 pm

@mikeviqueira
    video just coming in of OBAMA Dubliner visit. place is nuts

64. 284 Grab a Mop Grace
    March 17, 2012 at 2:29 pm

VPOTUS is in Pittsburgh today for the St. Patrick’s Day parade and a fundraiser.
    Our local Air Force Base has been in the news lately, as it appears to be on the chopping block.
    It would be a shame to have it close. It’s a vital part of our community, a big employer and a great source of pride.
    I hope that there is a way to save it.

Obama/Biden 2012

• 289 Linda
      March 17, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Who ever stuck that picture of the high gas prices in DC in the middle is a jerk………

Also…what slumping approval ratings ? Seems to me they are going UP, not DOWN….

GAWD …I HATE OUR MEDIA…

March 17, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Hey TOD. If you go to the beginning of the thread, Joan left a comment about her husband suffering a cardiac episode and she needs our thoughts and prayers so please everyone drop her a comment.

66. 299 Dudette
    March 17, 2012 at 2:39 pm

“Wearing a moss green jacket pierced with a button that read, “VIP GUEST – Tell ‘em Danny sent you,” Obama waded into a crowd wearing all manner of Kelly green waiting under a tent outside the tavern near Washington’s landmark Union Station. ”

67. March 17, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Robney up big in Illinois! Illinous polling from PPP!
    Typical, he dumps big money in the big States and wins. Still, he has had to spend a lit more for this, than he thought!

March 17, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Jovie – that only works for Romney (in some cases) when his opponents are Gingrich and Santorum. The money dump will NOT work in when his opponent is President Obama.

68. March 17, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I don’t know if you all have read this article, but it is a good read. It is an interview the President Obama, and the First Lady’s Harvard mentor Professor Charles Ogletree gave. It just reaffirms how genuine the Obamas are, and how they naturally care about others. http://www.theroot.com/views/man-who-mentored-president?page=0%2C0&wpisrc=obinsite