Mar

evening all

President Barack Obama talks on the phone with Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas in the Oval Office, March 19, 2012. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

Tuesday:

10:10: PBO and VP Biden meet with Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny.

12:0: PBO, VP Biden and Kenny attend a St. Patrick’s Day lunch.

7:00: PBO and Michelle Obama host a St. Patrick’s Day reception, VP Biden also attends.

Wednesday: PBO will begin a two-day trip to highlight American energy in Boulder City, Nevada where he will visit the Copper Mountain Solar 1 Facility, the largest photovoltaic plant operating in the country with nearly one million solar panels powering 17,000 homes. The President will then travel to oil and gas production fields located on federal lands outside of Carlsbad, New Mexico, an area home to more than seventy active drilling rigs.

Thursday: PBO will travel to the Cushing, Oklahoma area to discuss his Administration’s commitment to improving and supporting the infrastructure that helps us leverage our domestic resources, while also ensuring these projects are developed in a safe and responsible way. The final stop on the trip will take place at Ohio State University in Columbus Ohio, home to some of the country’s most advanced energy-related research and development. In the evening, he will host a reception in recognition of Greek Independence Day.

Friday: PBO will attend meetings at the White House.

Thanks Bobfr

Andrew Sullivan: This is the kind of reality that makes Sean Hannity’s head explodes. So far, the GOP candidates have been running against a fictional president with a fictional record. Obama didn’t campaign to increase government spending, but inheriting what was in the final quarter of 2008 an annualized contraction of 9 percent of GDP, he opted for a stimulus. That accounts for much of the spending.

I know we are supposed – along with Fox News – to have total amnesia about the spending record of George W. Bush, who had nothing like the recession Obama inherited to counter. But there it is. Along with the fact that of the last seven presidents, the top three spenders are all Republicans.

More here

ThinkProgress

Jamelle Bouie: As Greg Sargent, Steve Benen, and others have amply demonstrated, Mitt Romney has a problem with the truth. Throughout his campaign, he has openly lied about his previous positions, his beliefs, and the records of his opponents, Republican or otherwise. In a speech today on economic freedom at the University of Chicago, Romney continued the trend, building a mostly substanceless case against President Obama on the basis of half-truths and falsehoods. You can read the whole speech if you’d like. For now, I’d like to highlight a few passages that sum up Romney’s case against Obama in fact-free aplomb.

Full article here

First Lady Michelle Obama talks with Late Show host David Letterman during Monday’s 3/19/12 taping in New York.

See a clip from the interview at CBS – and tune in tonight.

337 Responses to “evening all”

1. 1 GGail
    March 19, 2012 at 8:03 pm

It’s evening already?

2. 20 Carol
    March 19, 2012 at 8:04 pm

So close yet so far!

3. 21 GGail
    March 19, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Where did the day go?

Daylight Savings is messing me up!

4. 25 Dudette
    March 19, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I dunno Chips. I think I’m gonna head on over to our German friend’s facebook page and read all about PBO and FLOTUS there.

5. 28 GGail
    March 19, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Bobfr – thank you for sharing that vid with us. Yes, lets spread it far and wide. It’s Amazing!

6. 29 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    March 19, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I LOVE THAT VIDEO BOBfr…INITIATED WITH THE ISRAELI…IT JUST BREAKS MY HEART BECAUSE IT IS SUCH A PLEA FOR PEACE. I HATE WAR MONGERS!

7. 32 collegekay
    March 19, 2012 at 8:13 pm

RE: Roland Martin from last thread

Roland Martin is annoying. I’m not surprised with the way he acts. He came to my school a while ago. He’s very arrogant. After he spoke to students he said — “So now who wants my autograph?” :roll: who the fuck says that? smh.

8. 34 vitaminlover
    March 19, 2012 at 8:16 pm

I am so excited about seeing First Lady Obama on Letterman later tonight.

9. March 19, 2012 at 8:16 pm

FL Michelle Obama is so real and the most relatable of all first ladies. No wonder so many love and admire her. And those who don’t—-well, that says more about them, that they have “issues”, as they politely say. There is nothing not to like. She has done such a remarkable job as First Lady. I know she had some reluctance about this political adventure, but she has seized this role and excelled. She has been exemplary in every way and deserves the utmost respect. She’s given it her all.

March 19, 2012 at 8:27 pm

dotster3, I agree.

• 37 EDP4BHO
      March 19, 2012 at 8:33 pm

“that says more about them, that they have “issues”

I used to say this about my mom. She was a great lady and folks did love her, but I always thought, if you don’t then it’s you, not her. I feel the same about both FLOTUS and PBO. PBO said that most folks, once they get to know him, actually like him. He and FL are the real deal.

10. 38 GGail
    March 19, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Mrs. Obama – is one of a kind! You just gotta love her. I know I do!

March 19, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I will definitely be tuning in to Letterman this evening!

12. 40 forus50
    March 19, 2012 at 8:33 pm

testing.

13. 41 GGail
    March 19, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Eva Longoria is well versed on the important topics. She’s gonna be a force to be reckoned with – Romney LOOK OUT!!!!!!

• 42 EDP4BHO
      March 19, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Very elegant, factual, and determined. I’m pleasantly surprised.

• 43 Mel
      March 19, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Tha’s my sister Eva she will a force to rockon with amoung the Hispanic Comunity and she said
      NO PRESIDENT will be elected without the Hispanic VOTE so when Willard won P.R he thinks
      he will get the Hispanic VOte well think again Willard Just ask Marc Antony and JL they are big
      suporters of PBO and many more Puerto Ricans so Willard keep fucking dreaming about our VOTE.

14. 44 forus50
    March 19, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Thanks Chipsticks – what you posted above worked. I have no idea what caused this or whatever but happy to be here after trying for 3 days!

Looking forward to voting for POTUS for the 3rd time tomorrow! lol it’s Chicago vote early and vote often! (Joking…counting primaries the 4th time will be in November.) Now that I think about it, I voted for him for Senator so it’s even more than that!

March 19, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Little Ricky from today:

“We need a candidate who’s going to be a fighter for freedom. Who’s going to get up and make that the central theme in this race because it is the central theme in this race,” Santorum told a crowd of about 200 voters during a rally here on Monday. “I don’t care what the unemployment rate’s going to be. Doesn’t matter to me. My campaign doesn’t hinge on unemployment rates and growth rates. It’s something more foundational that’s going on.”

Unemployment? Who cares! I just want to push my morality onto everyone! What an arrogant ass.

16. March 19, 2012 at 8:45 pm

17. March 19, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Tuesday Mar. 20, 2012
    9:15 AM
    Obama receives the daily briefing.
    10:10 AM
    Obama and Biden meet with Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny.
    11:15 AM
    Carney briefs the press.
    12:00 PM
    Obama, Biden and Kenny attend a St. Patrick’s Day lunch.
    4:30 PM
    Obama and Biden meet with Panetta.
    7:00 PM
    Obama and Michelle Obama host a St. Patrick’s Day reception, Biden attends.

March 19, 2012 at 8:49 pm

thinkprogress Segments covering Trayvon Martin since his death: CNN (41), MSNBC (13), Fox (1) thkpr.gs/xtzFEe #justice4trayvon #icymi
    32 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

• 60 GGail
      March 19, 2012 at 9:53 pm

df, the mother was on the Today show this morning and I just heard Scott Pelley (my favorite msm Reporter) do a segment this evening on CBS.

19. 61 Jessica
    March 19, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Michelle is such a daddy’s girl just like Sasha. She talks about her dad more than her mom and she actually lives in the White House. This interview reminds me of when Michelle (or her mom) said she used to sit on her dad’s lap even though she was bigger than him.

20. 63 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    March 19, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Thank you Chips for posting that very important statement of Love from an Israeli to Iranians.

On another note, it really is important to understand what the 2nd Amendment actually states ….

#PRESSON

21. March 19, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Ny Times reports that a Classified document leaked, days they are concerned about an Israeli attack. And outlines different scenarios.
    Classified.
    Come on Mr President- find out who is leaking this shit and prosecute! They do it all the time. Me thinks, it is the Congressional Republicans.

March 19, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Jovie, it wouldn’t surprise me if the republicans weren’t behind this. I don’t trust them when it comes to anything and if it puts our country in danger, I agree fine out who did it and prosecute him or her.

22. 67 Lorraine
    March 19, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Shrumie is on Ed’s Show, now.

23. March 19, 2012 at 8:59 pm

…. Michael Moore had presented himself to the media as the (very) unofficial poster celebrity for the Occupy movement, even appearing on CNN host Piers Morgan‘s program to discuss his ties to the protests as well as to vehemently deny that he’s a member of “the one percent”…

And it seems that the issue of Moore’s money — not only how much he has, but where and how he’s obtained it — isn’t about to go away.

The Blaze is reporting that, while visiting New York City’s Zuccotti Park on Saturday, Moore was met with hecklers presumably upset over the fact that Bowling for Columbine director once owned stock in Halliburton…..

As Moore makes his way across the park, one rather loud young man can be heard shouting “make way for 50 million dollar Michael Moore, everyone!”

“Have your picture taken with 50 million dollar, Halliburton investing Michael Moore!” and “Michael, why did you invest in Halliburton?” are later heard.

Video at link: http://www.mediaite.com/online/michael-moore-heckled-at-occupy-protest-make-way-for-50-million-michael-moore/

March 19, 2012 at 9:12 pm

opps!

• 70 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      March 19, 2012 at 9:12 pm

#PRESSON

• 71 amk for obama
      March 19, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Glad to see this this fat, fake librul being exposed.

• 72 TheShyLurker
      March 19, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Cue Nelson Muntz!

• 73 Jessica
      March 19, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Michael Moore is so disingenous. He is the quintessential limo liberal making money of the progressive movement without actually being progressive or actually contributing to progress. Fake as a 2 dollar bill.

• March 19, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Bwah ha ha ha — I laugh and laugh and laugh. Ha Ha HA !

• March 19, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Two things are still annoying me about these OWS folks (actually, there are a lot of things that annoy me about them, but I’m highlighting these two today):
      1. They are now demanding patience for their movement, and then in the next breath, attacking President Obama for not getting their stuff done faster…
      2. They are shouting at Michael Moore for his millions (he deserves to be shouted at for so many things), but they rally round Ron Paul – who also has millions, and intends to push policies that would destroy this country and the global economy. They’re confused.

• 80 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      March 19, 2012 at 9:15 pm

#PRESSON

March 19, 2012 at 9:19 pm

:) Thank you BUNCHES!

• 82 isonprize
        March 19, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Bobfr, I checked this link. It says “… or know other attorneys who may be interested,…” which seems to imply that one needs to be a lawyer to be a Voter Protection coordinator. Am I reading this correctly?

March 19, 2012 at 9:44 pm

ison…I saw that,too…I have no idea, but I suspect that if anyone interested called OFA/Chicago they could tell you if it was only for lawyers.

• 84 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
          March 19, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Yes. This is serious stuff, as you can understand. That is why the call must go out now and be echoed for the next several months. We need an enormous turnout from the legal community to defend voters.

#PRESSON

• 85 isonprize
      March 19, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Desertflower, I checked this link. It says “… or know other attorneys who may be interested,…” which seems to imply that one needs to be a lawyer to be a Voter Protection coordinator. Am I reading this correctly?

24. March 19, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Retweet please.

• 87 forus50
      March 19, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Except it’s not free because we all pay premiums to be in a health insurance plan. We need to better explain it as “the right to buy affordable health insurance” versus “free insurance” or “free birth control”.

• 88 collegekay
        March 19, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Right. It wouldve been better if she said “Birth Control covered without copays” (which the insurance companies do thanks to ACA)

Nothing’s really “Free.”

• 92 isonprize
        March 19, 2012 at 9:42 pm

If Pres. Obama was answering the question, he would have taken the time to inform the young lady and support her question and actually give a thoughtful answer to her question and comment.

R-money’s response was just snotty and rude. R-money didn’t help his candidacy at all. Even if slightly misinformed, the young lady walked away with R-money’s support to “Vote for the other guy” which is EXACTLY WHAT I HOPE SHE DOES!!!

R-money is such an idiot. In fact, it’s (almost) embarrassing that he’s the best the Rethugs can do.

March 19, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Not ‘almost’. I don’t mean to hurt your feelings, Ison, but I :oops: for America at the depth of the stupidity within the field of candidates the GOP has had on display since 2008! Don’t forget the ones who have already been sidelined.

• 94 isonprize
            March 19, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Oh VC, we are saying the same thing. The only reason I said “almost” was because I want Pres. Obama to win. I am hoping, working and praying that the stupid burns so bad that even Rethugs will vote for PBO!!! :grin: :grin:

• March 19, 2012 at 9:51 pm

We have a handful of moments like these from other GOP candidates where they told someone to go vote for the other guy. Would be a great commercial.

• 97 isonprize
        March 19, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Gobrooklyn, I LOVE IT!!! String ‘em all together, then end it with PBO and that million dollar megawatt smile that he has.

“I’m President Obama and I’m the ‘other guy’

OBAMA/BIDEN 2012

• March 20, 2012 at 1:57 am

I’m mostly a lurker, but you inspired me to do a bit of research. Only came up with two instances besides the one that was tweeted, but am adding it in full:

Peoria, Ill: “The first woman to ask the GOP presidential front-runner a question at a rally here on the eve of Tuesday’s Illinois primary remarked that she knew he was in favor of the “pursuit of happiness” but added, “You know what would make me happy? Free birth control.” That led Romney to rebuke his inquisitor. “If you’re looking for free stuff you don’t have to pay for? Vote for the other guy, that’s what he’s all about, okay? That’s not, that’s not what I’m about,” he said.” Mar 19, 9:26PM by Sarah B. Boxer http://www.cbsnews.com/8300-503544_162-503544.html

“If people think there is something wrong with being successful in America then they better vote for the other guy because I’ve been extraordinarily successful.” Mitt Romney, Feb 26, 2012
          http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/02/ … -guy-if-you-cant-relate-to-me/

“At a campaign stop in Iowa yesterday, Professional Republican Stereotype Newt Gingrich informed a gay Iowan that if he wants his homo-needs met, he’d be better off voting for President Obama in 2012.” ERIN GLORIA RYAN DEC 21, 2011 11:40 AM

Hope someone else has the talent to finish the commercial!

• 100 Cha
        March 19, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Brilliant, gobrooklyn! Tweet IT IN!

• 101 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      March 19, 2012 at 10:03 pm

#PRESSON

25. March 19, 2012 at 9:08 pm

• 103 Ladyhawke
      March 19, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Mitt Romney’s filip flopping has been eclipsed by his penchant for lying and making stuff up. I am so glad to see more articles calling him out for his mendacity. Romney’s lying is so excessive that Steve Benen can write a weekly column documenting his lies and distortions. Romney’s lack of integrity is just astonishing. It was bad enough that he is a flip flopper but a flip flopping liar is just too much to handle. The thought of Mitt Romney being anywhere near the Oval Office is just horrifying to me.

March 19, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Personally I would never be able to believe Willard’s version of events after him meeting with other world leaders.

26. March 19, 2012 at 9:14 pm

But, he sure is spending a lot of money. Not including travel and event spending!

27. March 19, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Obama campaign: Romney has ‘a significant trust deficit’
    By NBC’s Carrie Dann and Domenico Montanaro
    Despite louder and more serious talk among Republican insiders about the possibility of a brokered convention, the Obama campaign once again kept its focus on Mitt Romney.

In a conference call today to respond to Romney’s speech on economic freedom today at the University of Chicago, the Obama campaign slammed Romney’s tax plans today and said he faces “a significant trust deficit” with voters, particularly on the issue of gas prices.

“Gov. Romney did not mention the issue of energy and gas prices, and I think that’s something that’s on the mind of all Americans right now,” said Cecilia Rouse, a Princeton economics professor, who was a member of the president’s Council of Economic Advisers before leaving the White House in February.

28. 110 Ladyhawke
    March 19, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Thank you for posting the “We Love You” video. It made me weep. It was so moving. Enough with the Republican Party saber rattling about war with Iran. NO to war with Iran. Just stop it already. I sent the video to my family and friends. It should be sprinkled around the internet like confetti. Love it.

29. 111 carolyn
    March 19, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Obama grandmama….in case you see this, just to let you know I’m thinking about you…..and praying everything went well today.

30. March 19, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Interesting exchange with Romney at Bradley U. in Peoria, Il. today——re. questions from college Repub women re. birth control and Planned Parenthood. Romney is some terrible human being, lacks basic humanity. He’s just empty, could care less about others.

31. 114 japa21
    March 19, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Will probably go to bed a little early tonight so I can get up and vote before going to work tomorrow. It will be interesting to see the Dem numbers versus Republican numbers in Illinois tomorrow. There are at least 3 contested Dem primaries for Congress in the Chicago area, so that could drive up turnout.

It would be good to see PBO get more votes than all the Repblicans combined.

Romney made a big deal about how Latinos will vote for Republicans, as the PR primary showed. He forgot to mention that in 2008, PBO and Clinton received almost 4 times as many votes as the Republican field, and PBO, who got less than 40% of the vote, got over 22,000 more votes than Romney did this year.

32. 115 kasai
    March 19, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Good Evening Everyone…

I am having a difficult time with Trayvon senseless killing…I’ve cried all weekend, Reason why this tragedy is so close to my heart, you see my son’s best friend was killed about 10yrs ago..and never found the killer, he was at a Halloween party, while walking back home he was shot dead..to this day we celebrate his birthday and consider him a part of my family. I am just so torn and helpless..I don’t know why black kids don’t matter….I can’t take it anymore.. Trayvon reminds me of my son.

• 116 isonprize
      March 19, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Oh kasai. I feel you. I feel for Trayvon’s mother and father. I feel for every mother who has lost a child, especially to senseless violence, and in this case, a blatant uncalled for hate crime. I can’t listen to the tape. I JUST CAN’T.

Please, please, please know that our children DO MATTER. There is a sick underbelly of this country that is mean and heartless and uncaring and cruel. Of this I am certain. But I am just as certain that OUR CHILDREN DO MATTER. We must keep saying it. Keep shouting it. KEEP BRINGING IT UP. OUR CHILDREN MATTER and everyone, EVERYONE plays a part in protecting them.

And yes, I keep saying OUR Children, because the sooner American realizes that Trayvon Martin, that cocoa brown, baby faced 17 year old child is ONE OF US!!!

The sooner we, WE — all Americans, white, black, and every color in between, Southern, Mid West, East Coast, West Coast, Alaska and Hawaii — The sooner love all of our children, the sooner we will understand how much further we have to go, how much work we have to do in these United States of America to really “be” united.

I’m tired, though. I’m tired of hearing about my babies being tortured, shot, killed, neglected, mis-educated. I’M TIRED. In order for us to get better at this, WE ALL HAVE TO HELP!! EVERY LAST ONE OF US.

March 19, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I am so taken with your thoughts,kasai. I’m at a loss for words and I feel angry at this injustice and senseless murder. I think that is exactly what it is. Murder.
      I have no words to make you feel better about this,no words to make you less angry.Maybe you could create a piece of art that lets you release what you feel….make your statement. There are others that feel as you do. You are not alone. Hugs to you, dear kasai. We have to believe that justice will be done for Trayvon and his family. We must work to make sure that it is done.

• 120 kasai
        March 19, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Desert I will create a nice piece of art in his memory…I just need sometime to reflect..my creative juice are pretty shot right now..but in time I will get there…Thanks again DF (hugs)

March 19, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Hugs to you,kasai. Use your immense gift, for good. Love and healing thoughts to you. In your own time, you will get there.We all need to get there.

• March 20, 2012 at 12:06 am

kasai, I’m so sorry for your loss and for the loss of Trayvon. It’s an unspeakable horror. I can’t bring myself to listen to the 911 tape. I just can’t. I absolutely detest guns and the misery they have brought to our country, to the world. I wish we didn’t feel so powerless to do something about it. It’s an ugly, ugly side of our culture and I despise it. So may innocents lost, it sickens me.

• 123 Chi
          March 21, 2012 at 1:13 am

You are a lovely human being Kasai…

Eternal rest grant young Trayvon and may the terribly unjust, violent and untimely death of this young soul not have been in vain…

• March 19, 2012 at 9:57 pm

I know Kasai, its horrible. I saw a picture of him and he reminded me of my nephew who also lives in Florida. Listening to that 911 call made so sad and angry. With each cry I just imagined what the parents must have went through as they heard it.

• 125 GGail
      March 19, 2012 at 10:01 pm

kasai – my heart breaks for you. Maybe if you reach out to the mother with a tweet of support, it might make you not feel so helpless. If you believe in prayer – say one for them and for your heart to heal.

I’m gonna add you to my prayer list.

• 126 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      March 19, 2012 at 10:04 pm

My heart aches ….

• 127 kasai
        March 19, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Thank you all for the kind words..I’ve send my condolence to Trayvon’s Mother and Family….I’ve been on Twitter for 2 days driving a petition, we only need less than 40K to reach 500K, Today I called the mayor and left a message, hopefully they understood, I was too emotional to talk… and lots and lots of prayers……..

Thanks again for all your prayers.

• 128 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
          March 19, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Thank you for all you are doing Kasai. I RT’d your petition several times – the least I could do.

We will achieve justice – his life must be honored by making it safe for others. That’s our duty.

#PRESSON

• 129 kasai
            March 19, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Thank you so much Bob…I really appreciate all your help..It means so much….
            We almost there 473,000 signed to reach 500,000

Grateful

March 19, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Where’s the petition? I’ll sign it! I’ve signed the ColorofChange petition, but if you have another….be happy to!

March 20, 2012 at 8:22 am

Kasai so sorry to hear about your and your son’s loss! I really hope that Travyvon’s family will get the full legal justice they deserve – nothing will bring back their son, but the least this country can do is to acknowledge the intent behind the crime and prosecute and convict the murderer. I’m going to sign the petition that you linked below.

• 132 kasai
                March 20, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Thank you HopeFruit..I appreciate your help in signing the petition…It was my son’s best friend that was killed…but He was just one of my own…

• 133 yardarm756
        March 20, 2012 at 12:18 am

When will it stop? I’ve become numb to it since I knew Emmitt Till. There but for the grace of God go I.

• 134 0388jojothecat
      March 19, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Hello TOD Family, Kasai, I know exactly what you are going through. I had two AA male cousins gunned down in Los Angeles and Inglewood for no reason and they never caught their killers. Both were gunned down months before their 30th birthdays. The one cousin was a straight A student throughout his school years through high school. His mother did everything she could to keep him away from gangs, emphasized education, and he was working on a career in computers. He was visiting family in a bad area that he was unfamiliar with and they mistook him for a gang bangger in the neighborhood. The other was just walking home from work and the police said it was an initiation killing. This young man was unknown in the neighborhood just an innocent child going to get candy at a neighborhood store, visiting with his father and his finance. This is so very very said yet the NRA and the gun crazies continue to be let this travesty continue to happen. We will one day say NO to senseless gun killing in this country…just like we said we would not have a Black President in our lifetime….WE WILL HAVE GUN CONTROL IN OUR LIFETIME! THIS HAS GOT TO STOP!

33. 143 Dudette
    March 19, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Yes, good goverment works!

Here’s a real example of your tax dollars at work:
    Financial Fraud Enforcement Task Force (StopFraud.gov)

What is this Task Force and what exactly is Financial Fraud?

So what has this Task Force done for you lately?

• 145 Ladyhawke
      March 19, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Thanks dudette for giving me a reason to post this link to the “Government Is Good” website. I am so tired of the government bashing by the Republican Party. President Obama is making government cool again and it is freaking out the GOP. The last thing they want is for the American people to see how government can be a positive force in their lives.

GOVERNMENT IS GOOD

=============================

Why a website defending government? Because, like many Americans, I am tired of the government bashing that is constantly coming from the political right. For decades conservatives have been demonizing government and not enough has been done to defend it. Ever since Ronald Reagan declared in 1981 that “Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem,” Republicans have been waging a political war against this institution. They have been joined in this anti-government crusade by libertarian thinkers, Tea Party activists, right-wing media pundits, and wealthy corporate lobbies. This powerful political coalition blithely ignores anything good about government and conducts a relentless smear campaign against this institution. They constantly play upon the fears and insecurities of average Americans and encourage them to blame all their problems on big bad government.

Make no mistake: the goal of this anti-government movement is not merely to eliminate waste or make the government more efficient. The ultimate aim is to undo many of the basic government programs that have been in place since the New Deal and the Great Society. They want to slash spending on vital safety net programs like Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. They would like to roll back key regulations protecting consumers, workers, and the environment. And they want to reduce taxes so drastically that funding any new government programs would become extremely difficult.

How far does this anti-government crusade want to go? Disturbingly far. Many of the Republican candidates for President in 2012 have called for the wholesale dismantling of entire federal agencies. The hit list includes the Environmental Protection Agency and the Departments of Departments of Energy, Housing and Urban Development, Commerce, Interior, and Education. And at a time when polls show that a majority of Americans want increased regulation of the energy industry, health care companies, and the financial industry, these candidates are saying they want much less oversight. As Ron Paul has explained: “I don’t think we need regulators.”

================================

34. 148 pinkbunny92
    March 19, 2012 at 9:45 pm

EVENING ALL!!! :-)

I had a VERY long day at work, and now I’m so tired, so may take a nap, so I can get up to see the First Lady on Letterman :-)

Hope everyone had a great day!!!

P.S. anyone hear from Joan – How is her husband doing??

35. 149 0388jojothecat
    March 19, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Thank you Bobr, for the Israeli to Iranian video and yes it needs to go viral. Thank goodness for Facebook, twitter, and other forms of media that our so-called 5th estate and other medias refuses to convey to the people of the world that we don’t hate each other, we just want to have peace in the world, work, educate our kids, be with friends and take care of our families and help one another when catastrophes hit around the world.

36. March 19, 2012 at 9:48 pm

37. March 19, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Romney raised 11.5 million in February.
    MSM crickets!

March 19, 2012 at 9:57 pm

any news yet on willard’s feb fundraising ?

39. 171 collegekay
    March 19, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Damn Watson has missed all his shots. that’s alright though…

March 19, 2012 at 10:06 pm

41. March 19, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Just got the grossest Ricky robo call—–it had a weird intro, thought it might be a poll at first so I was caught offguard—–and then it launched into gay gay gay gay, marriage between a man and a woman, gay gay gay gay gay gay, Romney loves gays and gay marriage, gay gay gay gay, gay, Romney is the gayest of gay lovers, gay gay gay gay, free birth control for all, gay gay gay gay, moral decay, gay gay gay gay. It was desperado and unbelievable and who in the world, other than the nuttiest of the most hateful nutballs, would vote for Ricky after that? They have to be going for the narrowest of constituencies here in Illinois. Idiotic.

42. 185 yardarm756
    March 19, 2012 at 10:15 pm

FOCUS……..voter suppression is at the point of the spear…….PRESSON. 4MOREFOR44!

43. March 19, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Here are the totals:

Obama Campaign- 300 million dollars
    Romney Campaign- 74.5 million dollars

Any questions?

44. 194 Ladyhawke
    March 19, 2012 at 10:16 pm

TAXES ARE GOOD (Taxes are our dues)

Most conservative criticisms about the ill-effects of taxes are exaggerated or untrue. Taxes are in fact good – they are dues we pay to enjoy the numerous vital benefits that government provides for our society.

======================

Lakoff argues that we need to promote a very different view of taxes—one that uses a very different kind of metaphor. The metaphor he suggests is that of taxes as “dues”.

Taxes are our dues — we pay our dues to be Americans and enjoy the benefits of American society. Taxes are what we pay to live in a civilized society that is democratic, offers opportunity, and has a huge infrastructure available to all citizens. This incredible infrastructure has been paid for by previous taxpayers. Roads and highways, the Internet, the broadcast airwaves, our public education system, our power grid — every day we all use this vast infrastructure. Our dues maintain it.2

It is about being a member, a part of the community. People pay a membership fee to join a gym, the local YMCA, or a club for which they get to use the basketball courts, the swimming pool, and the golf course. They did not pay for these facilities with their own memberships. They were built and paid for by other members, and all the current members maintain them with their dues. It is the same thing with our country — being a member in good standing of a remarkable nation. Americans pay their dues.

This idea of taxes as dues is not original to Lakoff. It is an idea that has often been expressed, but has not been promoted with the same ferocity or persistence of the taxes-as-affliction metaphor. Franklin Delano Roosevelt once remarked that “Taxes, after all, are dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society.” And Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. expressed a similar sentiment when he said that “I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilization.”

========================

March 19, 2012 at 10:21 pm
    March 19, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Just in case anyone was curious as to how corrupt their state is…

47. March 19, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I agree with L O”D that the new Fl. law, “stand your ground” is “a license to kill”. One only needs to say they felt “threatened”, and say their killing was “self defense”. Empowering anyone with a gun. It’s an insane NRA driven law.

• 201 Ladyhawke
      March 19, 2012 at 10:36 pm

It certainly sounds like Zimmerman was looking for a confrontation. He was told to stand down by the police but he was determined to exert his imagined authority over Trayvon Martin. This is a senseless tragedy that did not have to happen. Zimmerman was headstrong and out of control. Trayvon was walking while black and Zimmerman could not handle this simple fact. The horror of this incident is just overwhelming. It is ludicrous to think that Zimmerman was threatened at any time. That just doesn’t pass the smell test.

• March 19, 2012 at 10:46 pm

The fact that Zimmerman didn’t just shoot only to disable this imagined threat, or that he calmly left the scene without even trying to revive the victim or administer aid – tells me he wanted to kill him. That was his intent. I hope we see justice prevail.

• 203 COS
      March 19, 2012 at 10:48 pm

I am really happy that all of the shows are discussing this. Every time I see that young man’s innocent face it saddens me.

• 204 isonprize
        March 19, 2012 at 11:06 pm

That child still had baby fat. At 17!! He reminds me of my son. He’s tall for 14, but when you look in his face, you know that he’s a child. Yeah, I know plenty of 17 year old think that they are grown. And plenty of them work at looking tough and hard.

I don’t know Trayvon, but there is something about Trayvon’s face. He wasn’t hardened, or cynical or smart-alecky like plenty of teenagers that I have encountered. He just looks so young.

Uh oh, there go my allergies again…

• 205 lovingandlaughing
        March 19, 2012 at 11:25 pm

I know it, I was in a place this afternoon where CNN was on and they kept showing his picture over and over again. he was so beautiful and so very young……heartbreaking.

48. 206 isonprize
    March 19, 2012 at 10:34 pm

FOR ANY PBO CAMPAIGN VOLUNTEER in PENNSYLVANIA!!! — OR if you know any vols in PA

***********************************************************************************************************************************************
    Check your email…

Hopefully you have a link to the VOTER ID training that the campaign is conducting tomorrow night (Tues 3/20) and Wed, 3/21. If you don’t have it, contact your team leader, field organizer, or RFD!!

WE MUST BRING PENNSYLVANIA FOR PRESIDENT OBAMA!!!

49. 207 lisalovesobama
    March 19, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Can’t wait for Miche on Letterman. She’s so funny!

50. 208 isonprize
    March 19, 2012 at 10:42 pm

DEMAND JUSTICE FOR TRAYVON MARTIN

51. March 19, 2012 at 10:52 pm

March 19, 2012 at 10:52 pm

That 2-minute clip of FLOTUS @ Letterman show was hilarious.

53. 217 auni
    March 19, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Oh Kasai–I listened to the tape and wish I wouldn’t have. It broke my heart. He was our son, brother. grandson, friend–these children that are so senselessly killed belong to all of us. I wish we could protect them, put our arms around them and shield them.

• 218 symmetry11
      March 19, 2012 at 11:11 pm

I felt the same way. I wish that I hadn’t listened. I could not stop crying. I am torn to pieces everytime I hear them being played.

• 219 sabreen60
      March 19, 2012 at 11:15 pm

I wish I hadn’t listened also. I have avoided reading and listening to all the details. As a mother who knows all to well the fear we live with for our sons, this is just too hard for me.

• 220 kasai
      March 19, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Auni…I can’t bring myself to listen to the 911 tape..I just can’t… it will break me to pieces..I am already an emotional roller coaster..Reading Charles Bow summary was just enough, for wounds to open up.
      For the life of me, I just can’t understand to why people hate a human being enough to kill, it’s beyond me, I pray for them too, so they can soon the light, that we are all God’s creation.

• March 19, 2012 at 11:40 pm

I heard it play on television when I was away from the remote. I really hadn’t wanted to hear anything depressing. To hear that kid screaming for his life just cuts to your heart.

March 19, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Ed Schultz and Lawrence O’Donnell did very thorough segments on Trayvon Martin’s murder tonight. I hope they continue to keep a laser focus on this horror that didn’t have to happen. It seems as though the DOJ and FBI will now open up an investigation into the killing because the Sanford PD – especially the Sanford PD Police Chief – have loopholes in their accounts and seem to be over zealous in their protection of Zimmerman. The lack of respect by the Sanford PD shown to the Martin family is abhorrent.

55. March 19, 2012 at 10:59 pm

“Iranian We Love You” Video: Just had to say how moved/pleased I was about seeing the video. The internet, free flow of information, and positivity seem to go a long way…its revolutionary in so many ways. I don’t know what, if any, effect this will have on public opinion in the two countries (or maybe other countries…), but I sure hope it moves people toward a cooperative respectful relationship.

Wish I knew how I could help! Well, re-electing PBO is probably a really good step.

#PressOn

56. 227 TheShyLurker
    March 19, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Cute. Dana Millbank brought his cute little pooch to LOD’s show.

57. 228 COS
    March 19, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Did I just hear Erin Burnett ask “Do Barack Obama have a donor problem”? I was switching channels and heard her say that this was one of the things that she will be discussing. Give me a break. I turned the channel reall fast.

March 19, 2012 at 11:10 pm

The media seems to love making the opposite of what is true about PBO into a story – just like the LYING Republicans.

March 19, 2012 at 11:54 pm

I sent Erin Burnett a email and I just ask her one question, Does Mitt Romney have a donor problem?

58. 231 Pamela
    March 19, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I wonder how my kitty would like to be seen wearing the Obama dog tee, just featured in the store. It is too cute, makes me want to get a DOG. I will not.

59. 232 57andfemale
    March 19, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I was quite amused listening to progressive radio today. Some rabid RWNJ running ads for tomorrow’s primary in IL. By all means, spend yourcampaign cash on progressive talk.

60. March 19, 2012 at 11:16 pm

President Barack Obama will make a brief stop in Carlsbad on Wednesday and speak about his administration’s “all-of-the-above” approach to increasing the country’s energy security, White House officials said Friday.
    Obama will visit oil and gas production fields on federal land outside of Carlsbad as part of a two-day trip across the country focusing on energy production, officials said.

Officials said Obama will visit the oil and gas fields to focus on his administration’s commitment to expanding domestic oil and gas production.

Carlsbad, which is about 160 miles northeast of El Paso, is best known for being home of Carlsbad Caverns National Park, which draws thousands of tourists from around the world each year.

March 19, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Hey guys remember FL Michelle Obama will be on David Letterman’s show on CBS in a few minutes.

62. 237 carolyn
    March 19, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Totally OT…..but that picture of the oval office at the top is so inviting. The office looks so much warmer with the re-do in the last two years. The colors and fabrics are conducive to good conversation and comfort. The previous ones were slick and stiff.

63. March 19, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Wow- Politico 44 has Michelle and Joes Fundraisers/ good stuff, believe it or not.

64. 239 COS
    March 19, 2012 at 11:54 pm

A little OT and no offense to Kate, but I find it odd that the media reports on every move she makes and ignores our beautiful FLOTUS. Brian williams did an extensive report on her 3 minute speech.

• March 20, 2012 at 1:46 am

I’ve been holding my tongue about that. I have nothing against Kate, but before she became a princess, she was a buyer for a fashion store. And to date, the decisions she makes are not highly impactful in the grand scheme of things – although, her poise and ease with her new role bodes well for her future role as Queen and philanthropist. But – for the world to be waiting with baited breath for her first public speech, yet we have to struggle to find footage of the First Lady – an accomplished woman in her own right, who is making real change to real lives? Outrageously misplaced priorities.

65. 241 meabloom
    March 19, 2012 at 11:55 pm

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

66. 243 globalcitizenlinda
    March 19, 2012 at 11:56 pm

FLOTUS on Dave Latterman

67. March 19, 2012 at 11:58 pm

President Obama’s adviser David Plouffe appeared at a prospecting meeting for Priorities USA Action held at the Yale Club in Manhattan earlier today, speaking before a group of about two dozen major Democratic donors about the influence of outside groups on the GOP side, multiple sources said.

The Plouffe appearance came as the group has been ratcheting up a push to fundraise after Obama, however reluctantly, gave his blessing to Democratic donors bundling for the super PAC supporting him – hiring veteran fundraiser Susan Torricelli, a well-known New York area rainmaker and the ex-wife of former New Jersey Sen. Bob Torricelli, the sources said.

Plouffe did not make a direct ask for money, given coordination rules, and he left the room when that was discussed, according to sources on hand for the event. But he described in stark terms the agility the Republicans have shown at raising cash for outside groups, compared to how Democrats have fared this cycle, according to the sources.

On hand for the presentation, which was made by Priorities official and former White Hosue deputy press secretary Bill Burton, were Bernard Schwartz, Patricia Duff, Rob Dyson, and Robert Wolf, the sources said.

Interesting!

68. March 20, 2012 at 12:00 am

Not only is Eva Longoria stunningly attractive, but she’s amazing smart. I love having her on our side! YOU GO, Gabbi!

69. March 20, 2012 at 12:18 am

That is my First Lady on Letterman.

March 20, 2012 at 12:29 am

So basically First Daughter Malia Obama (13) could trounce Romney in a debate about the economy due to her discussions with President Obama about macroeconomics. Freaking awesome!

March 20, 2012 at 12:35 am

Sarah Palin wants to debate POTUS, how about he send Malia, I bet Malia could wipe the floor with that half term Governor. Palin don’t even know what macroeconomics is.

March 20, 2012 at 12:32 am

FLOTUS was AMAZING!!!!!! on Letterman. She’s gorgeous, whiplash smart, has so much charm and charisma. I love watching interviews with people like her because they keep the flow of conversation between them and the host very interesting.

Her color blocking outfit was very much on trend and in vogue.

72. 251 Ceb
    March 20, 2012 at 12:33 am

Dave to Michelle: “Can I go home with you?” he asked yearningly at the end of the interview. He was absolutely charmed by her.

• 252 amk for obama
      March 20, 2012 at 12:35 am

PBO reaching for the red telephone. :)

• March 20, 2012 at 12:56 am

Ha! I can’t wait to see the interview!

• 255 COS
          March 20, 2012 at 1:04 am

I loved the outfit FLOTUS wore. I saw a slide show of different outfits, where the designers are patterning their designs around the outfits FLOTUS wears. When they are designing, they put pictures of FLOTUS on the wall with the different outfits she has worn and copy certain details from her outfits. I love it.

• 256 Lorraine
      March 20, 2012 at 12:39 am

Yes he was. It was an amazing interview. Dave was gracious, funny, smart, and witty and First Lady Michelle was beautiful, intelligent, funny too and amazingly on point.

73. March 20, 2012 at 12:35 am

I don’t care call me a Michelle-Obot, but I just love FLOTUS @MichelleObama. She was gr8 on #Letterman! If you missed FLOTUS on David Letterman tonight try to find the video. It was a good interview.

March 20, 2012 at 12:42 am

lamh35, I guess I’m a Michelle-Obot, I am with you 100%. I think the world of our First Lady, and I think David Letterman do too. We are so bless to have POTUS and FLOTUS. And I enjoyed the interview also, it just wasn’t long enough.

74. 259 Dakota
    March 20, 2012 at 12:37 am

Letterman is just now coming on here. I can’t wait to see my FLOTUS! Looking forward to seeing Esperanza Spaulding also!

March 20, 2012 at 12:38 am

Now the atrocious story has gone international.

• 261 isonprize
      March 20, 2012 at 12:51 am

GOOD. We can’t just go around shooting 17 year old children because they are walking down the street.

• 267 yardarm756
      March 20, 2012 at 1:22 am

Listen to the tape. It was an execution!

• 268 isonprize
        March 20, 2012 at 1:27 am

I can’t Yardarm. I just can’t listen to it.

March 20, 2012 at 4:38 am

Can you imagine Trayvon’s Mom listening to those tapes, hearing her son cry out for help. And to think these freaking ass policemen think that was self defense. The Sanford police department need to be investigated too, I smell some racism from them.

• 270 Titti
            March 20, 2012 at 10:32 am

This just breaks my heart. Prayers for this young man and his family. The more things change the more they remain the same.

76. 271 meabloom
    March 20, 2012 at 12:45 am

What can say?? We have an AMAZING First Lady. How can you NOT love her?? DAZZLING!

March 20, 2012 at 4:33 am

You are so right meabloom, how can you not love her? And as someone said, to those who don’t like FLOTUS, it has more to do with them, and what kind of person they are, than her. Simply the best, she is.

77. 273 Ceb
    March 20, 2012 at 12:49 am

MO was so relaxed, in the moment and ready to play. Dave was so in awe of her that it took him a little while to get into his flow, but she made him feel comfortable just by being herself and by her willingness to be part of the experience. She is also funny. Loved the story she told about being in Target and being asked by a shorter woman to reach to the top of the shelf and get the box of Tide detergent for her.
    I also liked the fact that military members and families were part of the audience, I am sure, at her request.
    She is the kind of woman that other women want to have for a girlfriend.

BTW, I am going to look for that dress she was wearing.

March 20, 2012 at 1:01 am

fucking gopolitico is deafeningly silent on mehmney’s feeble feb fundraising while concern trolled obama’s fantastic feb haul. Fucking rethugs’ shilling assholes.

79. 276 isonprize
    March 20, 2012 at 1:04 am

Off topic, but not really. I was surfing the web looking for info on the designer of FLOTUS’ dress from the Letterman show, when I ran across this link from the Christian Science Monitor entitled:

“Betty Ford to Michelle Obama: How seven first ladies have changed the office”

Oh, how I wonder what Betty Ford would say about this current rag-tag crop of Rethugs and their WAR ON WOMEN? She was a tireless supporter of the Equal Rights for Women Act (ERA) and was public about her bout with breast cancer while in the position of First Lady. Later, she was very open about having been an alcholic and started the Betty Ford Clinic.

I respected her. I think she would be embarrassed by the current Rethugs, especially the half-term quitter grifter from Alaska. Like my VP Biden says “This ain’t your daddy’s Republican Party!!”

• 277 AJ
      March 20, 2012 at 7:13 am

Embarrassed? She would have been completely outraged! As Betty Ford once said in defense of reproductive rights, “Having children is a blessing, not an obligation.”

• 278 daisydem
      March 20, 2012 at 10:45 am

Thank you for reminding us of a very gracious, smart and caring First Lady. She did do some good things as First Lady and I am glad to be reminded of them this morning. She would be so appalled by the GOP right now.

80. 279 yardarm756
    March 20, 2012 at 1:25 am

Me vessels out of fuel. I’ve moored in my slip and heading for my bunk.

March 20, 2012 at 1:32 am

Wait for me! We can cross the deck together. My eyes are closing without any help from me. ;) G’night/morning TODville.

81. 281 lisalovesobama
    March 20, 2012 at 2:30 am

Ugh. Confession. So I remembered to turn to CBS at 11:30. Made it through Dave’s jokes about Willard and then just woke up to my shock and horror. Why are cold/flu medicines so fast acting when it comes to making you sleepy? By my count, it took 30 minutes to hit me. I can’t believe I slept through Miche, never even saw her come onto the set! I immediately tried to find the full video but it’s not up yet. So now I’m awake, stuffy and miserable (1. Because I’m sick and 2. Because I missed Miche) :(

82. 289 purpleshoesla
    March 20, 2012 at 3:07 am

Sweet dreams TOD peeps. Hello to any TOD night owls still up. Tonite I went to a phone bank event literally within walking distance of where I live! Got to put FLOTUS’ Let’s Move into practice personally and do something for PBO’s campaign as well. It helped a bit to get out and occupy my mind with the forces of good, rather than the evil that took Trayvon Martin. Encouraging to hear that the DOJ is going to do an investigation. I heard the 911 tapes earlier on Randi Rhodes show; horrifying and chilling doesn’t even begin to describe it. Sickening and heartbreaking. I hope the DOJ’s investigation also looks to reviewing and challenging Florida’s Stand Your Ground Law on constitutional grounds. It’s interesting to note that then FL Gov. Jeb Bush signed this law into place in 2005. If there’s any indication that Jeb Bush’s hat gets thrown in the ring for President (either during a 2012 brokered convention) or in 2016, I hope this fact gets screamed from the mountaintops. I certainly don’t want someone that put a law into place that essentially allowed someone to legally stalk, execute an unarmed innocent, in the White House or anywhere near it.

March 20, 2012 at 4:20 am

purpleshoesla, I agree with you. To think that Jeb Bush would sign a bill like that into law, he is no better than what we see running now on the GOP side. Every time I hear or read more about how that Zimmerman murder that young boy like he was some animal he was hunting down, and the Sanford police department acts like it was no big deal. I am just as mad with them as I am with Zimmerman. The parents of Trayvon Martin deserves justice, Trayvon deserve justice.

83. 291 canadabarb4obama
    March 20, 2012 at 4:35 am

My heart breaks something like this senseless killing of a child could take place in the USA. I hate this bigotry, as well, heard daily on those msm shows.

84. March 20, 2012 at 5:03 am

Hi guys here are some links to the Michelle Obama interview on Letterman last night:

March 20, 2012 at 7:51 am

It is always nice to see you, Donna. Thanks for the videos. You’ll always be linked to videos in my mind. :lol:

• 294 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      March 20, 2012 at 9:03 am

I THANK GOD FOR OUR FIRST COUPLE AND THE BIDENS…OUR MEN,WOMEN AND MILITARY FAMILIES INVOLVED IN VIETNAM DIDN’T GET ANY OF THIS!

85. 295 AJ
    March 20, 2012 at 7:17 am

FLOTUS was perfect, but whoever did her hair forgot what angle the camera would be shooting her from.

86. 296 Dudette
    March 20, 2012 at 7:22 am

Shocking! Can you believe this? GOP party leaders in MO and GA break their own party rules during caucus meetings.
    The Paulites are upset! I almost feel bad for them.

Even if you don’t read the article, these videos are quite eye-opening. This is what Republican party leaders call democracy.

87. 297 Dudette
    March 20, 2012 at 7:30 am

Giffords aide Ron Barber will run for two-year term

Ron Barber, district director to former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, on Monday cleared up a big question that has hovered over his race to replace her. The Democrat announced he will continue his campaign to fill her term until January and will also run for the following two-year term.

Giffords resigned earlier this year to focus on recovery from a bullet wound to the brain during a shooting spree last year at a constituent event. Barber was shot in the leg and face. He told The Arizona Republic for a story in January that he still suffered from fatigue and PTSD-symptoms but today said the energy he has gained from campaigning impressed his doctors and he is strong enough to serve.

Barber’s news is likely to cause a reckoning among other Democratic candidates. Barber received Giffords’ support early on in his bid to temporarily fill her seat in Washington, representing Congressional District 8. He also benefited from a slew of other Democrats deciding to stay out of that race in respect of her wishes. Non-profit founder Nomiki Konst, state Reps. Steve Farley and Matt Heinz and state Sen. Paula Aboud then began running for the two-year term in the redrawn Congressional District 2. It is unclear whether Barber’s decision will affect their campaigns.

Barber could have incumbent status during the race for the two-year term as well as the important backing of Giffords and her husband Mark Kelly. They are giving me 100 percent of their support,” Barber said. The couple encouraged him to run in both races, Barber said, but he needed to see how it felt to have his “feet on the ground” before making a decision. Support from the community and his family convinced him, he said.

The special-election primary for the remaining months of the term is April 17, with a general election June 12. The race for the two-year term follows the regular election cycle, with a primary on Aug. 28 and general election on Nov. 6.

Democrats aren’t guaranteed to replace Giffords or win the two-year term. The district, which includes part of Tucson, Sierra Vista and a swath of the U.S.-Mexican border, is nearly split between the two parties. Four Republican contenders have launched campaigns in both races: state Sen. Frank Antenori, Iraq war veteran Jesse Kelly, former Air Force pilot Martha McSally and University of Arizona broadcaster Dave Sitton… [more in the article]

88. March 20, 2012 at 7:48 am

The media is all excited for the NEW Ryan/Wyden plan, which cuts taxes on the rich, guys Social Programs and adds trillions to the national debt.
    It’s like Paul Ryan is Michael the Arch Angel, or something!
    Meh!

89. March 20, 2012 at 8:04 am

Bristols comments is a ploy to get Priorities USA to give back the 1 million bucks, that maher gave them.
    So, fox news is now demonizing priorities USA.
    Man alive!

90. March 20, 2012 at 8:09 am

President Obama has opened his biggest lead of the cycle over potential rival Mitt Romney in Virginia — and handily beats all other Republican rivals.

According to the latest Quinnipiac survey, Obama now leads Romney 50 to 42 in the Old Dominion. Obama bests Rick Santorum 49 percent to 40 precent, he outpolls Newt Gingrich 54 percent to 34 percent. He also leads Ron Paul 49 percent to 39 percent.

Virginia, long safe Republican territory, has emerged a pivotal swing state in 2008 and 2012 — with growth in the wealthy, educated Washington D.C. suburbs of Northern Virginia shifting the state’s politics dramatically over the past several cycles.

Also, Quinnipiac finds that adding Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell — often whispered as a potential veep nominee — to the ticket does not significantly boost the Republican ticket. The survey finds a Romney-McDonnell ticket still falls to an Obama-Biden ticket 50 to 43 percent.

Obama’s approval rating is also above water in Virginia, with 51 percent of voters rating him favorably. Romney is underwater with a 36 percent favorability and a 43 percent unfavorable.

March 20, 2012 at 8:12 am

Bill Maher is not the head of the Democratic party.

• March 20, 2012 at 8:30 am

That said, the guilt by association, which fox news amplifies 24/7, is making a comeback!

March 20, 2012 at 8:48 am

Regardless, Fox News is not the Department of Justice. Their “guilt by association” meme is worthless to anyone but them. Bill Maher is not the head of the Democratic party.

• 308 SUE DUVALL SMITH
          March 20, 2012 at 9:52 am

FOX NEWS NEEDS TO BE TAKEN DOWN,CLOSED AND ZIPPED…DOMESTIC TERRORISTS AT WORK WITH STUDIO CAMERAS…DISGUSTING TO SAY THE LEAST!

92. March 20, 2012 at 8:35 am

Hidee Hey all you O’s!!! Another greeeaat getting up morning in the O universe!!! It’s time to go vote here in the great land of Lincoln. Off I go to show them that PBO is as popular as ever in his home state. Not to mention, we have some important down ticket elections that will make a difference here. So off I go! Is it ok to wear campaign clothing? I have a brand spanking new 2012 baseball cap that I’d love to wear. I wore it Saturday to a restaurant in GO(T)P territory and loved the attention.

• 310 Dudette
      March 20, 2012 at 11:05 am

Well, you’re probably gone and been back by now, but in Georgia, campaign wear at polling sites is strictly forbidden (or at least that’s what the signs say).

Glad you’re out there making your support known though.

93. 311 globalcitizenlinda
    March 20, 2012 at 8:56 am

Trayvon Martin Update:

It is clear that this was senseless muder that did not to happen at all – if the shoter has not been to eager to conduct his biased act. He should have listened to the dispatcher!

Just when you think you cannot get more upset by the senseless shooting of the Florida teenager Mr. Trayvon Martin, here is new information. Phone logs indicate that the victim was on the phone with his teenage friend, telling her he was concerned that a strange man was following him. Trayvon treid to walk fast and away from the shoter zimmerman but the shoter pursued him and it appears that the shoter is the one who intitiated any final contact with Trayvon – the teen was trying to get away from the menance.

There goes zimmerman’s fake claims of self-defense. Apparently the shoter did not know that Trayvon was in phone contact with his teenage friend. Girl’s report should give the police a second chance to do the right thing.

Lawyer for the teenage girl to last speak to Trayvon was just speaking out on Tom Joyner Show : Audio will be posted on Black America web.

Below is the update from ABC news.

“Trayvon Martin Exclusive: Friend on Phone with Teen Before Death Recalls Final Moments”

March 20, 2012 at 9:44 am

Can someone Tweet this? http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/03/18/446768/what-everyone-should-know-about-about-trayvon-martin-1995-2012/

Mr. Zimmerman needs to be arrested. Then have his day in court. The man is lying.

March 20, 2012 at 9:47 am

And finally: Mitt Romney made a Puerto Rico sandwich with pancake bread. Before Sunday’s primary, his campaign posted a video of the candidate eating pancakes and saying he hoped to win in the territory. Then yesterday, Romney stopped at a diner in Springfield, IL, where he held up an abnormally large pancake and remarked, “These pancakes are about as large as my win in Puerto Rico last night.”

He is……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

96. 318 Linda
    March 20, 2012 at 9:53 am

White House Asks Media To Pull Malia Obama Vacation Story

Kristina Schake, Communications Director to the First Lady, confirms in an email to Politico’s Dylan Byers that the White House pressed various media outlets, including the AFP and the Huffington Post, to pull a story about Malia Obama spring break vacation:

From the beginning of the administration, the White House has asked news outlets not to report on or photograph the Obama children when they are not with their parents and there is no vital news interest. We have reminded outlets of this request in order to protect the privacy and security of these girls.

• March 20, 2012 at 9:59 am

And they know this!!!

• 320 COS
      March 20, 2012 at 10:15 am

When I saw that story yesterday about Malia, with all of those details about her location, the exact number of SS, places where she had been, and where she was staying, it really rubbed me the wrong way. It appeared that the story was done deliberately with all of the details. I was a little shocked to read it.

March 20, 2012 at 10:43 am

COS, I felt the same way. I feel so much better when all that info is not out there. The only people who know that info are the ones who need to know it. I assume that Malia didn’t go to church because she just stayed home with Grandma. I didn’t have to know she was on vacation, with who, what she did, etc., etc., because when it’s out there you worry about the wrong folks knowing it. All media need to just back off from the Obama girls, remember these are still kids.

97. 322 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    March 20, 2012 at 9:54 am

WE NEED A NEW SITE THIS MORNING…IT’S GETTING CROWDED IN HERE….HELP! I’M DROWNING IN PARAGRAPHS! LOLLLLLLLLLL!

98. March 20, 2012 at 9:56 am

March 20, 2012 at 10:12 am

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2012/03/19/secret_service_code_names_revealed.html Republican code names….should be Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dumber

100. 326 AJ
    March 20, 2012 at 10:43 am

Looking forward to pics/video from today’s (belated because this year it had the chutzpah to fall on a Saturday) St. Patrick’s Day reception!

101. 330 57andfemale
    March 20, 2012 at 11:01 am

thank God they’re finally covering Ricky applauding that Dominionist preacher. On MSNBC right now.

102. 331 meabloom
    March 20, 2012 at 11:02 am

I thought I was late for the “rise and shine”. I know Chips is going to have a boat load of newsie bits for us as she puts it.

Obama/Biden2012

103. 332 Linda
    March 20, 2012 at 11:02 am

State Attorney Norm Wolfinger announced Tuesday his decision that a grand jury will investigate the Trayvon Martin case.

“I share in the desire of the family and the community to accurately collect and evaluate all the facts surrounding the tragic death of Trayvon Martin,” Wolfinger said in a news release.
    —-

Finally !

104. 333 anniebella
    March 20, 2012 at 11:07 am

Where is Chipsticks? Hello! Hello! Hello! We miss you, :)

105. March 20, 2012 at 11:07 am

Great to see the first lady last night. She and her husband are such a great asset to each other.

106. 335 0388jojothecat
    March 20, 2012 at 11:32 am

I can’t believe what I just saw regarding the ACA Healthcare Washington Post/ABC Poll that 52% of the people want if thrown out completely? Who are they polling? I can’t believe people are and people who know people are not singing the praises of this. People are getting insurance and can’t be denied because of a pre-existing condition. Young college graduates are still on their parents insurance or can get their own affordable insurance. I just don’t get this country.

• 336 Linda
      March 20, 2012 at 11:35 am

Aren’t they the ones who had our President polling at 41 % a couple weeks ago ? Ignore them

• 337 L3
      March 20, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I wouldn’t even worry about it. The American people are generally ignorant about most of the important issues confronting this country that’s why we have a President. Think about how the majority of the country believed Iraq attacked us on 9/11 and more recently did not want to bail out the auto industry. The combination of FOX News, right-wing radio, the foxification of other news outlets and Democrats who do not consistently defend it accounts for much of that ignorance.

Also, when people are polled on the individual aspects of the law they tend to like it.

RSS OFA