Mar

evening all

Greg Sargent: I just got off the phone with Robert McIntyre, the director of Citizens for Tax Justice. His criticism of Paul Ryan’s new budget was unsparing: He ripped it as “smoke and mirrors,” and claimed it would increase the deficit.

“He’s a phony,” McIntyre said of Rep. Ryan. “But he’s always been a phony.”

More here

Steve Benen

Charles Pierce: The only reason that the zombie-eyed granny-starver Paul Ryan gets to present his own federal budget, as though he were the shadow president and not a guy elected by roughly 180,000 people in and around Janesville, Wisconsin, is that he managed early on to convince people that he was not your run-of-the-mill zombie-eyed, granny-starving, trickle-down Randian snake-oil salesman of the kind that have been running Republican economic policy since half-past Ronald Reagan’s lucidity.

More here

Quinnipiac: President Barack Obama leads all the Republican presidential candidates in Virginia, with his 50 – 42 percent margin over Mitt Romney his biggest lead over Romney in this election cycle, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released today.

Putting Gov. Bob McDonnell on the ticket as the GOP vice-presidential nominee does not help the Republicans carry the state …. In a matchup of President Obama and Vice President Joseph Biden against Romney and McDonnell, the Democrats win 50 – 43 percent.

Obama wins head to head against other Republican contenders:

54 – 35 percent over Newt Gingrich
49 – 40 percent over Rick Santorum
49 – 39 percent over Ron Paul

More here

Glenn Kessler: …. During an economic speech on Monday, Mitt Romney charged that the Obama administration “banned” Thomas Edison’s light bulb.

Really?

…. It’s a cheap political shot for Romney to blame “Obama’s regulators” for a proposal that was signed into law by a Republican president and was broadly supported at the time. Moreover, we don’t see how higher efficiency standards translates into a “ban,” especially when light manufacturers have embraced the new standards.

More here

President Barack Obama and Speaker of the House John Boehner speak following a St. Patrick’s Day Lunch at the US Capitol, March 20

170 Responses to “evening all”

1. 1 Andy46
    March 20, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Hello TOD

2. 9 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    March 20, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Good evening Chips & TODers!

Please forgive, but just need to push this a bit more:

In the previous thread, several tweets to folk who not only need to see the video but need to spread it and leverage it:

Please RT if you have time.

Thank you.

#PRESSON

3. 24 nintendowii10
    March 20, 2012 at 6:17 pm

The circumstances surrounding the Trayvon Martin fiasco are devastating… apparently George Zimmerman called Martin a “coon”

• 25 57andfemale
      March 20, 2012 at 6:59 pm

“A fucking coon” is what I heard.

But he’s no racist. Just ask him. Any black kid walking down the street must be on drugs, right? That’s not racist, is it?

4. March 20, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Howdy, Chips!! Love the round-up.

5. March 20, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Oh. Mah. Gawd. Idris Elba has been confirmed to play Nelson Mandela in the long-awaited biopic, ‘The Long Walk To Freedom.’
    Get in line!!

6. 35 Tally
    March 20, 2012 at 6:23 pm

March 20, 2012 at 6:26 pm

The close up of PBO’s tie shows how gorgeous the pattern is. Love it! Very stylish and sleek.

• March 20, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I was just thinking the same thing! It really “POPS”

• 39 CEB
        March 20, 2012 at 6:48 pm

So many of you notice every detail in every photo of PBO. I often have to go back to examine a photo closer after an observation made by others.

March 20, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Glad to hear I’m not the only one, CEB. I always have to go back and look when they mention something. I tend to just look at this facial expression & body language, but these gals here are so sharp-eyed, I’m not sure I’m going to the party with them. ;)

• 41 meabloom
      March 20, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Yes! That is a really nice tie. Not too light, not too dark but juusssst right.

8. 42 57andfemale
    March 20, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Ms. Chips, ay I suggest adding Charlie Pierce to the blog roll? Such a great writer.

9. 46 carolyn
    March 20, 2012 at 6:29 pm

That ad showing Romney’s reply to that young lady’s question confirms that he doesn’t have a clue. “Well, they could go anywhere they want….it’s a free country.” He doesn’t realize that for many women THERE IS NO OTHER PLACE! My precious daughter-in-law told me of the time she used it at the end of an awful first marriage when she needed to be tested…she went to Planned Parenthood. There was no judgment, no lecture, just care and the test and, for her, good results. She said she was scared to death what the tests might show up, after learning what her soon-to-be-ex was up to. We need this…he just has NO idea. She has become an advocate too. I bet if we collected all the similar stories in the U.S.the list would be astronomical.

• 47 japa21
      March 20, 2012 at 6:33 pm

What he meant to say was “She can go anyplace she wants, as long as there is no government funding, and it is approved by the Bishops, and it doesn’t provide birth control, and she can pay the bill.”

10. March 20, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Paul Ryan wants to repeal rules meant to stop Too Big to Fail
    Posted by Suzy Khimm at 11:42 AM ET, 03/20/2012

On financial regulation, Paul Ryan’s 2013 budget basically cuts-and-pastes its recommendations from last year: it wants to repeal parts of Dodd-Frank that give new power to federal regulators to break up big banks, arguing that the regulations actually make bailouts more likely, not less so. Ryan isn’t proposing an alternative, however, so his plan to repeal the government’s new “resolution authority” would bring us back to the pre-Dodd Frank era — which was also, of course, the era in which bank bailouts proved necessary.

Under Wall Street reform, financial institutions that are deemed “systemically significant” are subject to a host of new regulations, including a new rule that requires them to submit “living wills” that explain what would happen if the firm went belly up. They’re required to submit such plans to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, which has new authority to help liquidate troubled firms so as to avoid systemic catastrophe and prompt taxpayer bailouts.

The Ryan budget, however, would actually repeal the FDIC’s new resolution authority, arguing that it would have the opposite effect of what’s intended by allowing bank regulators “to access taxpayer dollars in order to bail out the creditors of large, ‘systemically significant’ financial institutions.” By doing so, Ryan says he would “end the regime now enshrined into law that paves the way for future bailouts.”

• 51 Ladyhawke
      March 20, 2012 at 7:58 pm

And where’s the outrage from Occupy Wall Street?? Why OWS isn’t protesting about the obstruction of Dodd-Frank by the Republican Party is a mystery to me. They can always find some reason to complain about President Obama. But they need to make some noise about the reckless disregard of the GOP for rules and regulations that protect us all.

11. 52 whatisworking
    March 20, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Democrats Say Goldman Whistleblower’s Column Makes Case For Volcker Rule

12. 53 whatisworking
    March 20, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Encouraging News

Global Economy Growing at Fastest Pace in a Year

13. 54 whatisworking
    March 20, 2012 at 6:38 pm

The Affordable Care Act: Helping Families Put Money Back in Their Pockets

• 55 57andfemale
      March 20, 2012 at 6:48 pm

May I take this opportunity to thank you for keeping this issue front and center.

• 56 whatisworking
        March 20, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Aw shucks

I love this place, I appreciate everyone who visits and all who posts. It is truly my pleasure to bring up Health Care and all the other great things the President does.

14. 57 whatisworking
    March 20, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Great video

Film Shows Solar Working for America

average folks singing the praises of solar

15. March 20, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Who Are You Calling A Lightweight, Mitt Romney?
    March 20,2012

By Bob Cesca: Mitt Romney has recently added a new digital audio file to his positronic neural net: President Obama is an “economic lightweight.” Naturally, it comes from the same genius who thought the “Is corn an amber wave of grain?” joke made some kind of sense and was hilarious enough to repeat over and over and over.

The Romney campaign rolled out this line over the weekend — just after the CBO released its latest deficit projections based on the president’s proposed budget. The CBO not only proved that the deficit has gone down during his first term, but it will continue to disintegrate almost to zero by 2017 provided there aren’t any significant new drains on the economy. Meanwhile, and despite false reporting by the right-wing media, the CBO affirmed that the healthcare reform law, the Affordable Care Act, will reduce the deficit over its first ten years.

But the president is somehow an economic lightweight.

Pure fiction, and not surprising given the Republican penchant for conjuring hastily-constructed invisible enemies to support their purely nonsensical ideas — absolutely fictitious caricatures in place of the president in order to justify what can only be described as lies.

16. March 20, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Robert DeNiro offered a clarification of his joke at an Obama fundraiser Monday about whether the nation was “ready for a white first lady.” The line drew an outraged response from Newt Gingrich earlier in the day, who told a Louisiana audience that DeNiro was promoting racial conflict and that the president should apologize on his behalf.

DeNiro’s response was polite, if not particularly apologetic.

“My remarks, although spoken with satirical jest, were not meant to offend or embarrass anyone —- especially the First Lady,” DeNiro said in a statement to TPM.

Jeez, I wish Robert had said: I stand by my words, shove it up your asses. :???:

• 61 nintendowii10
      March 20, 2012 at 6:43 pm

The President already condemned the joke. that’s probably why DeNiro backtracked…

• 63 Brit
      March 20, 2012 at 6:43 pm

I agree with your last line. I am sick of the GOP getting apologies from the White House or others over their fake drama.

• 64 itgurl_29
      March 20, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I loved that he used their fake outrage to apologize to FLOTUS, and not those candidates wives! LOL

• 66 EDP4BHO
      March 20, 2012 at 8:15 pm

“shove it up your asses.”

I concur. And then some.

• 67 Dudette
      March 20, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I hope no one will mind my bringing over my comment on this topic from the morning thread:

“I’m sorry to say this guys, but Mr. DeNiro WAS wrong …totally wrong!

He SHOULD’VE asked: “Is America ready for an arrogant, xenophobic, misogynistic, religio-fascist, autocratic, souless, animal-hating, shit-for-brains President?”

• 68 Cha
      March 21, 2012 at 2:30 am

I think De Niro’s repy is perfect! The funny joke is still out there but FLOTUS and Robert have shut down the whiners. Lol.

17. 71 CEB
    March 20, 2012 at 6:43 pm

The president’s message to the Iranian people in the video posted above can be summed up with, “Yes we can, together.”

18. 73 Liberal Librarian
    March 20, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Hello everyone!

Very busy day at the library. Had Storytime this morning, and I’m pimping my Saturday program to every parent/nanny/child that walks in my doors.

I’m feeling much better than I was yesterday—yay for breathing!

If you haven’t had a chance to do this yet, go out and get Springsteen’s new album. It’s vintage Boss, and probably the most political album he’s done since “Tom Joad’s Ghost”. I just finished building my new piece on TPV around one of the songs on the album. Here’s a sneak preview; it should be up by tomorrow morning.

They fear an America which accepts its responsibility to its citizens, and no longer leaves them at the tender mercies of the market. Call it socialism, call it social democracy, call it basic fairness; whatever term one uses frightens them, because it takes a lever of control away, that of economic uncertainty, where one is too worried to leave a job because he’d lose his health insurance, which could bankrupt him should the worst happen. That uncertainty, and all the baggage that comes with it, works to the advantage of our opponents; they fear it going away. I don’t fear it; I welcome it.

19. 74 carolyn
    March 20, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I just heard on NBC news that Malia is safe and she is on a school-sponsored service trip. Santorum always talks before knowing the facts.

March 20, 2012 at 7:18 pm

A service trip? As in TO HELP OTHERS? I just got into it on the phone with my stepdad….who, once upon a time, taught me my liberal values and has morphed into some RW lunatic now! That’s what sitting in front of the idiot box tuned to Fox will do. I know he visits all those RW sites: Drudge seems to be a favorite.
      He went on and on about Malia going to Mexico…did I think that was ok? Yes. She went with school and she’s allowed to go on Spring Break.
      Taxpayers should pay for 25 SS people? She always has SS protection. Blah, blah, blah…..

Then I had to hear about Michelle’s trip to Spain and $300MILLION !!!! I told him that he was full of shit. Seriously?
      There was WAY more, but I won’t bore you with the details…suffice to say, all his “facts” were wrong. I’ve had this conversation with him on the lightbulb issue,too. He didn’t know that the damn thing was signed by Bush. Thought for sure that we would all have to buy those curly lightbulbs and the others would be BANNED! Obama BANNED incandescent lightbulbs! Never be able to buy them again!!! Who does he think he is??? I hate the stupid. Especially from my own family.

Sorry for the rant.This stuff pisses me the hell off.

• 76 Jewelz
        March 20, 2012 at 7:28 pm

You need to introduce your dad to TOD. I bet the more time he spends on this website and the less time he watches faux news ( I presume that’s where he’s getting all that nonsense) will do him a lot of good.

March 20, 2012 at 7:51 pm

My stepdad. My Republican father is having the sense knocked back into him because he lives in FL and thinks that the Gov is a nutbag and is beginning to pay attention to the real world around him!

I would not link my step dad to TOD….but I WOULD send him info to open his eyes and show him the truth. I am actually very saddened by the way he talks. As a kid, 10 or 11 years old…I remember having hours long conversations about politics and religion with my mom and him. Hours. Now….he’s someone I don’t know anymore regarding politics. I can’t seem to have a fact based conversation. Kind of like arguing with a drunk. Can’t be done.

• March 20, 2012 at 7:53 pm

FOX News is very good at making people care and fear things they never would on their own. Its disgusting.

• 79 geeja
      March 20, 2012 at 8:14 pm

President Obama also revealed that one of his daughters was on a school trip to an orphanage

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Secret-tour-of-White-House-Oval-Office–for-Obamas-Irish-cousin-and-friend–143294236.html#ixzz1phoRlh5k

20. 81 Dakota
    March 20, 2012 at 6:49 pm

I don’t want Orange Julius breathing near my President. Ugh!

• 82 lisalovesobama
      March 20, 2012 at 6:55 pm

yep. all the liquor fumes must be toxic. PBO needs a hazmat suit anytime he’s near that orange Boner.

21. March 20, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Sooo let me get this straight.. Robert Deniro makes a joke.. and according to Gingrich, Barack Obama has to apologize for it???? Good grief.

22. March 20, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Peter Alexander on NBC Nightly News said that Willard slammed President Obama 12 times by name in an 18 minute economic speech at U. of Chgo yesterday, where Obama taught.

• 91 lisalovesobama
      March 20, 2012 at 7:02 pm

okay……… so what? Let that turdfaced Nincompoop blow off all the steam he wants. The thing about assholes like him is that they talk a big game behind your back but when they get close to your face, they shit bricks. Willard is an asshat whose ass will be handed to him come November. Let him act like a man while he can. We’ll be neutering that sheila soon.

• March 20, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Well he has to fill up the time with something. After all he has no good ideas on how to fix the economy.

• 93 Cha
      March 21, 2012 at 2:37 am

That means willard the lying rat lied at least 12 times and no doubt more.

23. March 20, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Heads up for PBO’s remarks at the White House St Patrick’s Day reception, 7:0 ET:

Not sure if CNN will have it, but here’s the link:

24. March 20, 2012 at 6:57 pm

25. 96 ParkRanger
    March 20, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I’m going to see if I can post a picture about President Obama and President Clinton that I thought was very sweet: What single mother’s can produce. I created a Flickr account and if my first attempt at html doesn’t work, then here is the Flickr URL.

Here goes!

~Suzanne

• 97 ParkRanger
      March 20, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Well, that was interesting! It doesn’t show the code and it doesn’t show the picture. Back to the drawing board!!

~Suzanne

• 98 57andfemale
        March 20, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I don’t think anyone but the moderator can post a picture. I may be wrong about that. I am often wrong about a great many things.

However, my husband putting olives in his 8 quarts of something he made — I am absolutely right that it is inedible.

• 99 Liberal Librarian
          March 20, 2012 at 7:14 pm

You are correct, only our lovely Chips can post pictures. The only workaround for the rest of us unwashed masses is to post a Twitpic.

26. 100 57andfemale
    March 20, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I voted at 4:00. I was no. 73 out of a possible 533 voters in my precinct. (The poll workers tell me stuff — I’ve been voting with these same people for 25 years).

Their busiest time is after work, so they’re assuming they’ll hit 100 or more. I’m in a strong Democratic district and I can understand a certain amount of apathy but I take the vote for judges seriously and there were primary choices to be made. But Americans who have time to stand in line to buy the new iPad can’t be bothered to vote.

There were problems with the ballots being too long or something for the scanning machines in 25% of the polling places in Cook County (I believe it was only Cook but I may be wrong. Heard it on the radio). Enough that there is a chance that the actual totals will be slow in coming. But expect to hear that Romney has won by 7:01 p.m.

• March 20, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Just heard on Chgo news they’re expecting low turnout—20-25%. They said the total votes at 2 Chgo precincts were 38 at one and 18 at another. I know that this is mostly about the Repub primary, but there are important down ticket choices. It’s irresponsible and irritating that people can’t be bothered. I hope they’re bothered enough to show up in the pres. election. And like you said, the lines are around the block for any new ipad or any other new tech gadget. I thought about this also when I saw people camping out in NY City for 3 days and nights to see some new boy band—New Direction, or something?—–appear on the Today Show. Ay.

• March 20, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Cook County is Robney territory, for the primary.
        And rural areas are Santorum territory.
        If Cook County is low turnout, that is good news for John McCain.

• 103 57andfemale
          March 20, 2012 at 7:44 pm

It is still terrifying that such a small percentage of Americans choose their elected officials. Primaries matter. I know I’m a total election nerd but damn it, when I was a kid in the 50’s, everyone voted. I hate that American values are so skewed — plenty of time to watch some baseball player scratch his privates and get paid $20M for the privilege of watching him for 3 hours. Plenty of time to camp out and buy your 15th Apple toy in 10 years. But it’s soooo hard to pay attention to who is running our government. It’s just pathetic.

• 104 EDP4BHO
            March 20, 2012 at 8:03 pm

With the apathy in voting, I still think that right should be revoked if one doesn’t participate after a given time. Otherwise, America deserves the shit laws it has right now such as being able to shoot and kill anyone as long as he/she feels threatened; having to jump through hoops to vote; have your vaginal tract violated by a fake penis. Can you all tell I am sick and tired of America’s trifling ways? Will be renewing my passport next month, will fight to re-elect PBO. What comes after will determine my direction.

• 105 Dudette
      March 20, 2012 at 8:35 pm

“Americans who have time to stand in line to buy the new iPad can’t be bothered to vote. ”

Somone ought to build an ad off that quote alone. It’s a damned shame people don’t take the political process seriously and participate in it like they should. These are the first people to complain when something doesn’t go there way. They don’t get that the people who show up are the ones who make the decisions.

So infuriating!

27. 106 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    March 20, 2012 at 7:10 pm

#PRESSON

28. March 20, 2012 at 7:16 pm

POLITICO’s Robin Bravender crunches the numbers: The Obama Victory Fund — a joint committee set up by the campaign and the DNC — raised $23.7 million in February, nearly doubling its $13.4 million January haul. The committee had raised a total of $37 million this year by the end of last month, and had just over $7 million cash on hand with no debt, according to a report filed Tuesday with the Federal Election Commission. The joint fundraising committee spent $18.7 million in February. The campaign raised $45 million overall between all committees and accounts in February.

• 108 57andfemale
      March 20, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Jovie, you’re my go-to person on this stuff: so this amount, particularly the joint committee, is still targeted for PBO’s reelection campaign? Not just general DNC stuff lumped together? The $45M is for PBO’s reelection? I really am ignorant of how this all works.

29. 109 lisalovesobama
    March 20, 2012 at 7:17 pm

has anyone seen Miche’s outfit? I just saw her head as she was talking to the PM’s wife.

30. March 20, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Oh enjoying the speeches by everyone at the Whitehouse right now.. my own great grandmother came from Ireland.

31. 115 Jewelz
    March 20, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I just heard on the news that the Little Rock City airport in Arkansas has been renamed Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport. Congratulations to both of them. I wonder which state between Hawaii and Illinois will get the privilege to name a airport after President Obama after he leaves office.

32. 116 meabloom
    March 20, 2012 at 7:20 pm

So I show up 7mins late and I miss part of PBO’s speech and FLMO’s outfit at the St. Patrick’s Day reception. Ughh..

• 117 57andfemale
      March 20, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Something tells me Ms. Chips will bring you up to speed. For all my rants about being Serious, I need info on the fashion, please.

March 20, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Hahahahahahahahaha. Just watched the Romney video. I cracked up at the “my dog is on my roof, my dog is on my roof” line. :lol: Whoever tortured themselves in sitting down and going through endless tapes of Romney deserves a prize. The video was hilarious.

34. March 20, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Ed Henry wrote an Article-
    Healthcare anniversary, not such a big edging deal.

It’s getting ugly out there.

• 123 lisalovesobama
      March 20, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Ed Henry is a FAUX phony and therefore his opinion doesn’t really matter. Plus he’s had one too many helpings of sour grapes since PBO keeps giving him smackdowns so if I have to take the shit that spews outta his fat mouth, I’ll take it with a grain of salt and a cup of lime juice.

March 20, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Jovie, why do you pay so much attention to these freaking dam idiots like Ed Henry? Honestly I don’t give a blank what Henry think.

March 20, 2012 at 7:34 pm

You know that to many times President Obama has knock Ed Henry off his high horse, and any time he gets a chance to take a swipe at POTUS he will.

March 20, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Most people would think of the good the Healthcare is doing for people, but Henry wants to be childish and try to be funny. But he is only showing how stupid he is, that’s why I don’t give a darn what kind of article he wrote.

March 20, 2012 at 7:26 pm

St Patrick’s WEEK! I like that :)

36. 128 lisalovesobama
    March 20, 2012 at 7:29 pm

ha! the certificate will go right by his Birth Cert!!!!! hahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahhahahha! OMG!!! I knew that was coming! He was too funny. Crowd loved it!!! :lol:

• March 20, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Wept at that one!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 130 lisalovesobama
        March 20, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Joe loved it too. You could see it in his smile as PBO went to shake his hand. Ha! PBO is riding that broken down pony all the way to the market. People like Arpaio only make it easier and easier. :lol:

March 20, 2012 at 7:32 pm

:) That was great.

• March 20, 2012 at 7:33 pm

He just couldn’t resist!!

• 133 lisalovesobama
        March 20, 2012 at 7:50 pm

I know! Him using the birth cert line will be funny until the cows come home. I like how he always takes a negative and turns it into a positive. Just like “obamacare.” Damned right Obama cares! :)

March 20, 2012 at 7:50 pm

POTUS is the best, I laugh when he said that about the certificate will go right along side his birth certificate. Oh yea and the crowd let out a big cheer when POTUS joke about the guy I think who own the pub in Ireland wanted to hire Michelle, but POTUS said she was too busy right now, maybe after they finish their second term.

• 135 lisalovesobama
        March 20, 2012 at 7:57 pm

loved that one too! PBO is claiming the rights to his presidency. He’s been pretty vocal of late about his believe that he will win in November. Very confident. Me likey. Wanna know what goodies their internal polls are showing! :)

• 137 lisalovesobama
      March 20, 2012 at 7:47 pm

I’m so serious. This Guy creeps me the ***F*** out. He gives me serious heebie jeebies, like serial killer heebie jeebies. Like that creepy guy whose eyes you make sure not to look into when you see him across the street. Like that weirdo guy you see around town whose path you make sure you don’t cross come sundown. Like the guy in your neighborhood who gets arrested after bodies are found in his back yard and you are the only one who gets interviewed by the local news station who says: “I’m not surprised. He’s always been one scary ass creeper.” {{{shudder}}} Gonna have to take a long hot bath to wash away the filth.

March 20, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Another piece of crap from the king of crap Paul Ryan. More tax breaks for the rich, more cuts to programs which help the poor and middle class, doing away with Medicare and Medicaid. And even going after Social Security, and increasing defense spending. Where are the change? Same old crap.

March 20, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Did that video of Romney say the real Mitt Romney is just masturbating? Perfect.

March 20, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Romney Ignores Question About Trayvon Martin

Sam Youngman was on the trail for Reuters in Illinois Tuesday, where he reported Mitt Romney declined to answer a question about Trayvon Martin, whose case recently sparked an FBI investigation in Florida.

Youngman tweeted:

Questions Romney ignored: Trayvon Martin and Ryan plan’s cutting pell grants

I asked Romney abt Ryan budget plan. He answered similar to stmt. Ignored my q abt Trayvon Martin and [AP reporter] Steve Peoples q abt cutting pell

March 20, 2012 at 7:58 pm

You know why he didn’t answer the question about Trayvon Martin, because he supports George Zimmerman. Trayvon’s black, we know how Mormons feel about black folks.

39. 150 57andfemale
    March 20, 2012 at 7:39 pm

A good post on how to frame Paul Ryan’s budget:

I’m linking to Orange Satan because the diarist did a good deal of work putting this together and deserves credit. She does a good job of explaining how Republicans re-frame.

The short story: “The Ryan Path to Poverty”.

• 151 0388jojothecat
      March 20, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Did you see Rev Al’s show, where he showed Ryan was wearing the SAME tie he wore when he trotted out the same Republican Path to Proverty last year. These people just don’t change.

• March 20, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Fabulous idea! Something like this is exactly what the GOP would do if this were the other way around. The Frank Luntz 2, 3, or 4 word talking points that get repeated over and over and over. Love, love, love, this idea. I don’t tweet but this needs to be sent far and wide.

40. 153 Hachikō
    March 20, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Irish PM Enda Kenny presents Obama with a “formal certificate of Irish heritage”….Obama’s Irish cousins from Moneygall are in the audience— Kate Andersen Brower (@katebrower) March 20, 2012

41. March 20, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Here’s the article about Malia. I guess it explains why she wasn’t with the family on Sunday. It’s a school trip for a service project, As usual, some people are trying to make a big thing out of it.

• 155 Jessica
      March 20, 2012 at 8:37 pm

I figured it was more to it than the Obamas just letting Malia jet off to Mexico for a spring break vacation with her friends. Michelle always says the girls have to give back and do service projects.

42. March 20, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Expecting lowest turnout in Chgo in presidential primary history—–hovering around 15%, may have had late surge but doubtful

43. 157 auni
    March 20, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Has anyone mentioned Kyle Tusker, GOP Lawmaker in NH, dropping his gun to the floor during a hearing? The guy had one semester of college before coming home to work in the family business. Sounds like a real brainey guy. I was upset about someone leaking the news about Malia’s trip. Everyone should know better–damn them anyway!

44. March 20, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Ya know what? Forget WordPress! I haven’t been able to comment on this or any other WP blogs in a week, so I’m using my Twitter to sign in. I guess it may be time for me to retire my old DK handle “QuietObserver” anyway. :)

Thanks for posting the Letterman interview. Mrs. O is so graceful and funny, and she has really grown into and perfected her role as FLOTUS.

Now I’ll push ‘post comment,’ and hopefully I won’t lose what I typed this time…

March 20, 2012 at 8:14 pm

But what does that mean? Well, it turns out that the Congressional Budget Office has put a concrete number to “whacked hard” here. Medicaid and CHIP (children’s healthcare) would decline from 2% of GDP today to 1% of GDP in 2050, and everything else — that is, everything other than Social Security and Medicare — would decline from 12.5% of GDP today to about 4% of GDP in 2050.

This is, to put it mildly, nuts. Defense spending alone amounts to 4% of GDP, and it’s vanishingly unlikely that this will ever fall much below 2-3% of GDP. This means that all domestic spending will decline from about 8% of GDP to 1-2% of GDP by 2050. That’s prisons, border control, education, the FBI, courts, embassies, the IRS, FEMA, housing, student loans, roads, unemployment insurance, etc. etc. It’s everything. Whacked by about 80% or so.

Do they have a death wish?

46. 161 globalcitizenlinda
    March 20, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Did I already say how much I despise lil ricky for his stupid attacks on POTUS ‘s care for his kids. scumbag!!

March 20, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Stephanie Cutter is on the Ed Show right now. Did I hear him say Robert De Niro is also going to be on?

48. March 20, 2012 at 8:18 pm

The Obama 2012 team hosted an off-the-record briefing for Mitt Romney’s press corps at Chicago headquarters today, reporters tell me.

Obama press secretary Ben La Bolt and deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter hosted the event, during which reporters were given a tour of the office and asked questions about the Obama team’s strategy and outlook on the 2012 race. Campaign manager Jim Messina is said to have made a cameo appearance.

Reporters described the event as unrevelatory and said nothing groundbreaking was discussed, but also described it as an important “get-to-know-you” session for the TV, print, and wire reporters in attendance.

The Romney campaign, which has had a complicated relationship with its press corps, seems to have been unaware that the meeting took place.

That’s odd!

• 165 lisalovesobama
      March 20, 2012 at 8:29 pm

OMG!!! are you serious?!!!! :lol: I love this!!! Willard didn’t know his peeps were being ‘wined and dined’—not really— by PBO’s peeps!!! hahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahhahahaha! Willard has problems with his press peeps so PBO’s people make nice with them. :lol: I really love PBO’s campaign folks. They are so smart. :)

49. 167 japa21
    March 20, 2012 at 8:31 pm

With less than 1% of precincts reporting:

Romney , Mitt

2,109

54%

Santorum , Rick

1,126

29%

Paul , Ron

10%

Gingrich , Newt

• 169 Cha
      March 21, 2012 at 2:43 am

Ms Chips! Thank you so mucho for those vids of FL Michelle & David Letterman having the best conversation! She was cracking him up and me too! So funny, smart, and gorgeous~

50. March 20, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Fox news already called it!