Mar

green day

Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny came to Washington bearing a few special gifts for President Barack Obama.

Among them, an official certificate of Irish heritage. “These are rare, as rare as the man himself,” Kenny said, presenting the document to Obama at a White House reception.

The president, without missing a beat, said: “This will have a special place of honor, alongside my birth certificate.”

First Lady Michelle Obama gestures as she pretends to pour a pint of beer alongside Fionnuala Kenny

Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley performs with his Celtic rock band O’Malley’s March during a St. Patrick’s Day Reception at the White House

President Barack Obama, House Speaker John Boehner, and others applaud as Enda Kenny, Taoiseach of Ireland, is introduced during a St. Patrick’s Day lunch at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., March 20, 2012. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

121 Responses to “green day”

1. 1 andogriff
    March 20, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Great stuff Ms chips!

2. 7 andogriff
    March 20, 2012 at 8:31 pm

You can see that our president really IS Irish!

3. 8 sabreen60
    March 20, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I’m glad to be 2nd, 3rd, 4th……

4. 21 Ceb
    March 20, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Thanks so much for this Chips. Once again I was too late for the fun in real time. I am so amazed that you have all of the latest and so soon. You have us so spoiled. I just do not have words worthy enough to express by gratitude to you for this special, one-of-a-kind place.

• March 20, 2012 at 8:44 pm

March 20, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Chips ahoy! How are you doing? I’m late, but I was hoping to run into you tonight. Do you have your scratch pad handy? If no I’ll wait.

Okay. Please note that this Thursday (day after tomorrow ;) ) is an important day. Yes it is. I’ll be a whole year older! I’m giving you a heads-up because last year TODville and I had to celebrate WITHOUT ANY CAKE!!!! Can you imagine that! Well, I’m looking forward to a special cake this year, so that’s the reason I’m giving lots of time for you to go shopping for the ingredients. Okay. That’s all. :lol: {I can just see you shaking your head at the gall of some people. ;) ;) }

——————————————

Good Night, TODville! I’m on one of those catching up sprees so I’m hopping back and forth from link to link and post to post. Can anyone quickly say if any word came in from Obama Grandmama & HZ?

March 20, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Cake on Thursday!! Happy early Birthday, vc :)

March 20, 2012 at 9:04 pm

An ‘early’ thanks, Df! :lol: Can you imagine if we start now I’ll have a 2-day celebration! That would be a first. How’s your break unfolding?

• March 20, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Ah ha, you think I didn’t guess it was your birthday on Thursday? You think I hadn’t already started baking your cake? Huh.

You have so little faith, VC.

• 27 yardarm756
            March 20, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Admiral…..You’ve ruined the galley. It’ll take the skullery maids at least a week to field day this mess. :-(

March 20, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Woowee! A real big one, eh? :oops: Sorry I doubted you, Ms Chips, when it looks like you’ve been hard at work getting things together.

Swallow. Swallow. Ammmm! Cough! Cough! Maybe it would simplify things for you, busy as you have been, if I changed my mind on the ‘special cake’ bit and just settled for one of those imported, special delivery cupcake? /perking up/ Yes! That’s what I’ll do. A PBO cupcake , LIKE ALL THE TOD SIBLINGS to date have received is quite alright with me, Chips. No need to go to any extra trouble, busy as you are. (Phew! Good thing I had mentioned my request early enough to catch her in the act!)

• March 20, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Good God! Is that from Hoarders?!

• 51 miss pat
            March 21, 2012 at 1:01 pm

was this from that hoarder’s show on television. Everytime I see one of those shows I get up off my butt and start cleaning.

5. 52 andogriff
    March 20, 2012 at 8:37 pm

I can actually see a slight resemblance!

6. 54 andogriff
    March 20, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Amen Ceb, I spend hours reading all the TOD posts, thanks Ms Chips for everything, these photos are fabulous!

7. 55 collegekay
    March 20, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Love my Governor & love my President!

8. 60 lisalovesobama
    March 20, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Go Gov O’Malley!!!!!!!! woot!!! :lol: I hope Martin and PBO are nurturing a very close friendship. It would be awesome if PBO groomed him to carry the torch in 2016.

• 61 utaustinliberal
      March 20, 2012 at 9:07 pm

100% concur.

• March 20, 2012 at 10:09 pm

PLEASE tell me PBO and the powers that be are grooming Gov O’Malley. The more i see and hear him, the more hope I have for this country when PBO leaves in 2016.

• 63 nathkatun7
        March 21, 2012 at 12:16 am

StayingSteady4PBO, Lets not “wait on the powers that be.” If VP Biden says that he is not going to run, then I say that as soon as we finish re-electing the President this year, we should launch a grassroots campaign to convince Gov. O’Malley to run in 2016. As soon as he says Yes, we should begin organizing, preferably through OFA, to give him a leg up over all the other candidates. OFA here could stand for Organizing For America or, O’Malley For America.

9. 64 Dudette
    March 20, 2012 at 8:43 pm

That cutie Governor O’Malley has a band too? Oh my goodness, dude is HOT!!!

• 65 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      March 20, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Hi Dudette,

Left a message for you in the previous thread … and, down thread here you’ll find the link.

Thank you for your excellent suggestions.

#MissionBegun :)

#PRESSON

10. 67 Dudette
    March 20, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Great pictures Chips!!!

11. 69 GGail
    March 20, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Hiya Chipsticks!

This is MARVELOUS coverage – THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Gov O’Malley rocking the WH!

That POTUS – always ready with the right response – “right next to my birth certificate” – bwaaaaahaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

12. 70 Dudette
    March 20, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Yet another reminder why we need PBO re-elected — so he can put some decent justices on the Supreme Court! Just look at the bucket of wackness coming out of SCOTUS today!

——————–
    Supreme Court says states can’t be sued for violating sick-leave law

Women’s groups warned that the U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday had severely undermined the Family and Medical Leave Act for state workers.

“By the narrowest of margins, the Court ruled that millions of state workers all across this country will have no meaningful recourse if their employers deny them medical leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA),” Debra L. Ness, the president of the group, said. “This effectively puts state workers and their families at risk when workers become pregnant or illness strikes. It is an appalling and dangerous ruling that simply cannot stand.”

——————–

Oy! I need a drink!

13. 72 Ceb
    March 20, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I know of some past presidents who would have done almost anything to have a certificate of Irish heritage. One in particular searcher far and wide to see if he had any Irish ancestors and come up with nothing. It is ironic that it is “the black guy” who not only did not go looking for it, but turns out to be more Irish than everyone except JFK. It is the icing on the cake to have the certificate presented to the president by the prime minister. Fate/Karma is a bitch.

• 73 Pamela
      March 20, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I imagine now Myth will go seeking his Irish roots…. As if there is even a single drop in his boring depleted DNA.

March 20, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Did St Patrick invent beer ?

Looks like mehmney wins IL.

15. 75 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    March 20, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Outstanding pictures, Chips, as always. What a great celebration.

Just left this comment for Dudette in the previous thread:

Please feel free to check my Twitter timeline – https://twitter.com/#!/Our4thEstate – and let me know if I’ve missed anyone that you think should receive this message:

If we are going to avert a war with Iran, these are the messages, from our President and from citizens of Israel and Iran that will definitely have influence.

Thank you!

Yes We Can … DO More Together!

16. March 20, 2012 at 8:51 pm
  17. March 20, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Black Snob has a great post up about the Trayvon Martin case. Please read the whole post, I can’t even blockquote a segment of it, IMHO, the whole post is really good.

No Apologizes: On The Killing of Trayvon Martin And Being “Good”

18. 85 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    March 20, 2012 at 8:56 pm

#PRESSON

19. 86 Ladyhawke
    March 20, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Judge: State violated law in appointing Flint emergency manager; Powers of mayor, city council reinstated

========================

LANSING, Michigan — A judge has ruled that the state violated the Open Meetings Act in appointing emergency manager Michael Brown.

Ingham County Circuit Court Judge Rosemarie Aquilina invalidated Brown’s appointment and also reinstated the authority of Flint Mayor Dayne Walling and the Flint City Council at a hearing regarding a lawsuit from a city union representative.

The order also invalidated all the orders and actions Brown has taken since he was appointed Dec. 1, according to attorney Robert Fetter, who represented Sam Muma of AFSCME Local 1600, who filed the suit.

=======================

20. March 20, 2012 at 8:59 pm

LOVE the photo of FLOTUS showing how it’s done on the Guinness!!

March 20, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Thank you for sharing these terrific pictures, Ms Chips – a real feast for the eyes! I love the way the laughter and the interactions seem so ‘natural’.

22. March 20, 2012 at 9:01 pm

23. 93 Ladyhawke
    March 20, 2012 at 9:02 pm

To see the warmth and affection displayed between President Obama and Prime Minister Enda Kenny just makes me melt. They are so sweet together.

24. March 20, 2012 at 9:06 pm
  25. March 20, 2012 at 9:08 pm

• 96 utaustinliberal
      March 20, 2012 at 9:19 pm

There goes Boehner with his orangina tears.

• 97 Pamela
        March 20, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Sheesh, look at the difference in presence of mind between PBO and boner… Is boner now going to tot out his Irish roots and say how much he loves the Emerald Isle? Or is he just a bit over the legal limit?

March 20, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I cannot recollect ever seeing John Boehner with a genuine smile, or seeing him looking really relaxed. He must be one unhappy man! On a human level, ‘Poor thing’, on a political level, ‘Step aside John and take your cloud of oppressiveness with you’.

26. March 20, 2012 at 9:11 pm
    • 101 utaustinliberal
      March 20, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Henry is having a rockin’ good time. Happy for him.

• 102 globalcitizenlinda
      March 20, 2012 at 10:21 pm

a visit that Mr Healy will never forget! good for him and the people of MoneyGall and Ireland. I love these people

• 103 Pamela
        March 20, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Is Henry Healy a married man? If not, I suspect he might be finding a fair few marriage proposals in his inbox after these photos go around the webz.

27. March 20, 2012 at 9:16 pm

* Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. (D) leads former congresswoman Debbie Halvorson 74 percent to 26 percent with 27 percent of precincts reporting. It looks like Jackson is on course for a clear victory.

* Former VA official Tammy Duckworth (D) is up 64 percent to 36 percent on Raja Krishnamoorthi in the primary to face Rep. Joe Walsh (R).

* Brad Schneider leads liberal favorite Ilya Sheyman 46 percent to 40 percent with about half the vote in. The winner gets Rep. Bob Dold (R).

And it’s way too early to report anything substantive in the race between Reps. Don Manzullo (R) and Adam Kinzinger (R) or the Democratic primary to face Rep. Tim Johnson (R).

28. 105 Ceb
    March 20, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Boehner looks either constipated or tearful. I sure he is thinking, “it could have been me, I could have been a contender.” PBO keeps throwing this loser a bone,but he is too weak and stupid to pick it up. He should beware of Cassius/Cantor and grow a pair.

29. March 20, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Sorry for another post so soon, everyone, but this link from Meta is a gem:

30. 108 Ladyhawke
    March 20, 2012 at 9:18 pm

President Obama is such a class act. It is so annoying that he has to be in the same room with John Boehner who on so many occasions shows him no respect at all.

31. March 20, 2012 at 9:33 pm

I tweeted the photo of Gov. O’Malley and now he’s following me. LOLz.

32. March 20, 2012 at 9:48 pm
  33. 113 Pamela
    March 20, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Oh, I just love the green filled lapel pockets, that looks beautiful, and must smell just lovely for the gentlemen to be a-wearing of the green!

34. 114 lovingandlaughing
    March 20, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I am most excited to see video of this event. It looks like a smashing good time all around!

35. 115 lovingandlaughing
    March 20, 2012 at 10:43 pm

The large green bouquet is lovely. What do you think the men have in their jacket chest pockets, shamrocks?

36. 116 lovingandlaughing
    March 20, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Doesn’t VP Biden look so happy and proud in these pics? Michelle’s dress is completely perfect!

37. 118 yardarm756
    March 20, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Tammi Duckworth won and will be running against the loud mouth Joe Walsh.