Mar

a word from tally: newsflash – slavery is illegal and women are not property

by Tally

Iowa bishops urge fasts on birth control coverage

“SIOUX CITY, Iowa (WTW) – Roman Catholic bishops in Iowa are asking parishioners to fast and pray to demonstrate their concerns over an employer birth control mandate in the federal health care law.

Parishioners have been asked to participate in a “special day of fasting and penance for religious liberty” on March 30, KTIV-TV in Sioux City reported Thursday.”

What the FRAK is going on? And when the hell is it going to stop???

How are men like Rush Limbaugh (or the Catholic Church for that matter) allowed near a microphone, let alone paid (donated) millions to spew hatred?

It’s 2012. How dare any MAN think he has the remotest right to even an opinion about any woman’s healthcare, sexuality and sex life.  Men certainly wouldn’t tolerate women having a say in theirs. Why are we, as a modern civilized society allowing this?

NEWS FLASH – SLAVERY IS ILLEGAL AND WOMEN ARE NOT PROPERTY.

See full post here

142 Responses to “a word from tally: newsflash – slavery is illegal and women are not property”

1. 1 andogriff
    March 22, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Lovely! WTG Tally, thanks Ms Chips!

2. 2 andogriff
    March 22, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I LOVE this Tally, and am passing it on ASAP! Bravo.

3. March 22, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Oh shoot! This is a righteous rant! Let me grab my tea and relax for this read :-). Thanks Tally!

• 14 Tally
      March 22, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I warned you guys on the last thread it was looooooooooooooong.

To quote the sexiest game character I know of, “You are not prepared.” ;)

March 22, 2012 at 8:08 pm

But it’s not too long – excellent rant Tally. Tweeted!

• 16 yardarm756
        March 22, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Damn good read. However,I will not out my oar in the water on this. You ladies do a real good job defending the fort. I’ll stay in the back and help load the muskets. ;-)

• 17 isonprize
          March 22, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Quite the opposite, Yardarm. WE NEED the gents to speak up too! I know there are men who are not at all in agreement with the dumb stuff that Rethugs are trying to get made into laws. Smart men know the deal. That’s why we love ya’ll!! :grin:

March 22, 2012 at 8:01 pm

5. 21 andogriff
    March 22, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Tally, you speak for me, and for all of us. Makes me want to stand up and cheer!

6. 22 Walking_on_ Sunshine
    March 22, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Thanks Tally! Your rants are legendary. Tweeted!

7. 23 auni
    March 22, 2012 at 8:07 pm

I AM standing and cheering!!

• 24 Brit
      March 22, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Me too. I am sick of Catholic Bishops trying to control women’s bodies. One would never know that over 90% of Catholic women are on BC the way the Bishops speak. They need a wake up call.

8. 25 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    March 22, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Well done, Tally!

#PRESSON

9. March 22, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Ok, I”ll admit, that I rolled my eyes when I happened to catch Keith Olbermann and he was wearing a hoodie, but do appreciate the solidarity.

BTW, Still waiting on someone to ask Jeb Bush how he likes the law he championed in FL. The law he signed with the NRA Lobbyist right behind him at the signing ceremony. It should be a trending topic on twitter.

March 22, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Tally! You kicked ass and took names:) I’m unleashing this bad boy into the interwebs for more to appreciate! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. This wasn’t a long winded rant, this is a call to action! Hugs, and let’s get this damn thing DONE!

• March 22, 2012 at 9:09 pm

“Tally! You kicked ass and took names :) … this is a call to action! Hugs, and let’s get this damn thing DONE!”

df, I wholeheartedly agree w/ya! ;)

YES.WE.CAN…DO.(Much)More, Together – WE MUST!
      PRESS ON!

March 22, 2012 at 10:01 pm

snoopy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!There you are:) Where have you been???? We missed you (I missed you!) Tally did an awesome job….this needs to go around the world a couple of times! She speaks for me!

• March 23, 2012 at 9:26 am

Same here!!! (((df)))

Hell yeah, she did. Yes it does, and yes, she does for me and all women/girls!

I’ve been in and out; I’m just not commenting’ much, yet. But, I see, as always, “you’re on a roll!” :lol:

Unite Against The War on Women: We Are in This Together (4.28.12)… http://www.wearewomenmarch.net/

It’s on Twitter, too… @NatlWOW

We Are Woman (State Capitol Marches on 4.28.12/National Capitol, 9.16.12)… http://www.facebook.com/wearewoman.us

It’s on Twitter, too… @wearewomanusa

11. 36 anniebella
    March 22, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I am so disappointed in that Norton Bonaparte, he has the right to fire that Sanford police chief, but he doesn’t have the guts.

12. March 22, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Guys Ihave a question: Do we know if PBO is going to give his convemtion acceptance speech in a big stadium like in Denver? And if so, how do one get a tickets?! :)

• 38 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      March 22, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Best to contact the DNC about tickets, bwd. His speech is supposed to be in Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte.

#PRESSON

• March 22, 2012 at 8:51 pm

It’s kind of hard to get a ticket but I think this year they’re may be making an effort to accommodate as many additional as possible. I think the capacity at the NC stadium is around 73,400. They squeezed in 84,000 at Invesco in 2008, way over capacity. I volunteered for a week at the Convention but it wasn’t until the last minute when one of the constituency coordinators in the Chicago HQ wing where I was stationed as a greeter for the day found out I didn’t have a ticket and gave me one just hours before the big event on the last night. I was overcome with joy, to say the least. I could hardly speak I was so excited. It was a night I’ll never ever forget. I still have that pass among my souvenirs – a very, very cool hologram image of PBO.

Most of the seats go to delegates and high-ranking officials. Then there’s a bunch of tickets that are given away to volunteers and supporters. I really hope you score one, BWD. You really deserve to experience this kind of exhilaration. It’s beyond anything anyone can even describe.

• March 22, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Oi, you shouldn’t need a ticket, you should be guest of honor on the stage ;-)

• March 22, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Heee. I doubt that. How are you, my love?

• March 22, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I’m doing good BWD, although my boss has been severely interfering with my blogging activities the last few days, to the point where I’ve almost said “back off, Skunk arse”. Of course, if I said that, I’d have lots of free bloggy time, but no job. Hmm, it’s a tough choice.

How are you doing, my friend? Ugh, I’ve got to stop saying ‘my friend’, I sound like friggin’ McCain.

13. 44 LDS
    March 22, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Tally, I am with you.
    Excellent read. “The only thing that concerns them is DELIVERY. Before and after, you’re on your own.”
    That right there sums it all up. The covers are being pulled off them and it is ugly, very ugly.
    Thank you.

14. 46 purpleshoesla
    March 22, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Tally, I am abso-fucking-lutely 1000% with you!!. Thank you for this. Your rants are legendary and on point. Have forwarded to all in my circle.
    “NEW FLASH – SLAVERY IS ILLEGAL AND WOMEN ARE NOT PROPERTY” also needs to be on a t-shirt, like RIGHTt NOW…

15. March 22, 2012 at 8:28 pm

New post everyone – but keep on replying to Tally’s wonder-post ;-)

16. 48 57andfemale
    March 22, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Tweety was showing Romney clips in discussing etch a sketch. Then he showed Joe Biden working his extraordinary political magic: human, warm, connecting with the crowd on multiple levels, conveying his agenda viscerally. The contrast was so stark – what our standards used to be for talent in politicians. Romney is unfit to run for any office.

17. 49 Liberal Librarian
    March 22, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Tally, you kick ass, madame. (And yes, the French are abandoning “mademoiselle” in favor of “madame”.)

18. 51 bebe
    March 22, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Excellent Tally! Thanks for being such an outstanding spokesperson for millions of women throughout the world.

19. March 22, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Tally, you hit every important point in this debate! Every one of them! Let me tell you, the pic of the ultrasound wand was jolting! These men are disgusting! Will tweet this, it’s a must read.

20. March 22, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Fantastic read. I am so sick of these attacks on women.

21. 54 carolyn
    March 22, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Wow Tally! That is magnificent.

March 22, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Go tally. What’s disgusting is that they are making money over fist while peddling this kind of venom.

23. 56 smoothscotch
    March 22, 2012 at 9:38 pm

((((CLAAAAPPPPP))))))) ON POINT!

24. 62 a4alice
    March 22, 2012 at 11:25 pm

tally it’s probably too late but your post was AWESOME! With you baby!!!!! thanks

25. 64 mtmarilyn
    March 23, 2012 at 12:58 am

I just got home from a meeting and was hoping your post would be up and it is. I knew you have say what we all are feeling.

I AM WITH YOU!!!!!! This must go far and wide. I will walk over glass before I allow any young women to go back to what it was like when I was in high school.

Thank you, thank you. We will win!!!

26. 65 HZ
    March 23, 2012 at 1:45 am

Tally, You are awesome. Great read. Thank you so much, Tally. (((((((((((((((Hugs to a talented Lady))))))))))))))))HZ

March 26, 2012 at 1:51 pm

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————

I wonder if I can convince the village to move to this thread from the last ‘Chat Away’? It’s getting hard to negotiate the March 25th Chat Away with so many comments. Okay, (deep breath )off I go to try!

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

28. 67 Pamela
    March 26, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Right here, vc, hope some of the others jump ship, this loads so delightful fast, that thread was killing my iPad! We wait in patience….:)

March 26, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Have you finished work for today, or doing another of your peeking in?

30. 71 Renegade522/AuntSis
    March 26, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Hi all. I mostly lurk. Just got back from the dentist so I am in pain.
    ****off topic: Perhaps its the codeine in my system but did Chips really go with PBO to Korea??

• March 26, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Aww – feel better Renegade.

March 26, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I don’t THINK so, Aunt SIs, but when you consider that Chips Chica ‘disappeared’ out of town and returns at about the same time as PBO, and still gives us better than main stream coverage it makes you wonder, eh? ‘The Mystery of CC’ adds spice to our village. :lol: :lol:

• 79 Pamela
        March 26, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Not only that, but to me the simple fact that Pete Souza’s photos seem to feed directly into Chipsy’s computer, while still warm, raised the bar for me long ago, when BWD was facing her sabbatical…. That was it. I not go anywhere else…

March 26, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Chuckle. Chuckle. I like the image of Pete’s pic feeding into CC’s computer while still warm. [Cue suspense background music] To add to your sense of mystery Pamela, Chips did once ask us not to push for info about her as she had no wish to throw red meat to the crazies. [Fade music out dramatically]

• 81 Pamela
            March 26, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Oh, I never knew that…. But I also feel she is a specific tasker, and the TOD blog IS her task… I cannot imagine anyone accomplishing the massive amount of work she does here and having another assignment to manage as well, although she is WonderWoman in my eyes… I never would ask, as it doesn’t matter in the ultimate scheme, and all will come to Light at the close of this era, tho I admit I pray this era will never end. If our speculation is true, we are more than blessed to have TOD, and the friendships made here will morph into something life long and precious to all involved.

• 82 Dudette
      March 26, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Hi Renegade/AuntSis, I hope you feel better.

I’m starting to think our dear Chips is off in Korea too. Lucky girl. :-)

• 83 lisalovesobama
      March 26, 2012 at 3:14 pm

re: Chips in Korea with PBO.
      Chipsticks aka Chips aka Peggysticks aka PeggySue is really David Plouffe.

March 26, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Naw….. I’m not convinced because Chips has an active sense of humour which she doesn’t hesitate to share , whereas D. P. seems far more restrained. Anyways, that’s all I’m going to add since Ms Chips has asked us to respect her privacy.

March 26, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Also, Pamela, how does this ipad thing really work? Can you use it wherever you are traveling without worrying about internet connection? For example would one be able to go on vacation to a household that doesn’t have computer/internet and still be able to access TODville on an ipad?

• 86 Renegade522/AuntSis
      March 26, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Yes, you can. The Ipad is great! It worked just fine when I went home to Baltimore last summer. I had to pay $1.99 to use the airlines wireless connection but other than that, I had no problems with connectivity and my big sis is computer illiterate.

March 26, 2012 at 2:18 pm

You mention wireless connection, but I doubt there would be any of that where I’m planning to go. Did your sis have wireless connection?

• 88 Pamela
      March 26, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I use a HOTSPOT which is a WiFi receiver of sorts ( tho wifi is free in Seattle), on which I can use up to 5 devices but they need to be wifi compatible, which pad, MacBook and iPhone are. So it goes with me in my bag, to USD as needed. The building I am working in as free wifi with secure access, and the lady’s apartment has wifi with her ISP. I use the free stuff as much as possible, but at home use my Hotspot. Unfortunately, it s with AT&T, bu it’s only $50/mo for 5GB, it’s better than what I’ve had in th past. It is operable wherever AT&T has a signal, but worldwide the sim card can be changed out for regional reception. It’s called a Sierra Hotspot, got t at the AT&T store, paid upfront so no contract, I’ll be damned if I will ever sign a to year contract with anyone….

March 26, 2012 at 2:55 pm

So, if I understand correctly, I could buy an ipad AND a Sierra Hotspot and be able to access you guys here if I’m in the ‘wilds’ for a month, even if the family I’m visiting has no internet access?

• 90 Pamela
          March 26, 2012 at 3:16 pm

That is correct, as AT&T has a pretty large coverage area. I am coming out to DC for Memorial Day weekend, family reunion, and am anticipating I will have access. Am also thinking if I had found out about this last year, before I bought my second iPad, I would not have gotten the cellular+wifi model, which is much more expensive. Prior to the Hotspot, I subscribed to a very expensive cellular data program, and it was eating up my income as the 2GB for $25 just didn’t get the job done on TOD, there is too much good stuff to read and watch! I am more satisfied with the arrangement. I am not going to get rid of my iPad2 for the new model, but if I DID, I would get the WiFi only model.

• 91 Pamela
            March 26, 2012 at 3:19 pm

PS: but be warned, if you get an iPad you will become one of us who seem to be terrible typists, as the predictive text is much faster than the human brain, but it is a tremendous advantage to have it remembering previously and frequently typed stuff like JO’B, which is first thing it places when I try to type the word job…. But that is a minor annoyance, I can live with it for all the other great stuff it can do! Right 57? ;) ;) ;)

• March 26, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I pay $25 a month for 3GB for my iPad. Overall, works well. Sometimes traveling I don’t have the AT&T signal, but it’s usually not for a long period of time.

• 93 Pamela
          March 26, 2012 at 3:24 pm

That is a better deal than they gave me, 2GB for $25. It went fast….

March 26, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Thank you all for sharing. Right now I’m just doing research as I MAY be visiting Texas in June or July, ostensibly to see my father ‘before he dies’ [his words], and he doesn’t have a computer or internet . I really started contemplating the possibility seriously because I got the idea from Canada Barb to maybe help with a local OFA while on vacation. The idea that I wouldn’t be completely cut off if I had an ipad is an encouraging one.

• 97 Pamela
            March 26, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Good, do the research, iPad changes your life, if not your spelling esteem! ;)

March 26, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Once I get one, we’ll no doubt fight about it messing with my spelling. I’m already planning to turn off its spell check option AND I haven’t ever looked at one real close. ;)

32. 99 Dudette
    March 26, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I wanna laugh… can I laugh? I’m gonna do it anyway! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!! ROFL! :-D

———————————————————————————-
    WHITE HOUSE NOTEBOOK: Obama press corps blocked out – temporarily – in South Korea

March 26, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Suh-weet! Just sweet! I’m laughing with you just from reading the title! If press corps is only interested in faux-news, leave them outside, Mr. President so the grownups can concentrate on business! :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 102 Renegade522/AuntSis
        March 26, 2012 at 2:57 pm

hahahahaha…good one POTUS.

March 26, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Although the corps being left behind in today’s story above doesn’t seem ‘deliberate’ I somehow like the fact that reporters were delayed. He may not have had a hand in it, but I truly like the way the Pres can school the press corps from time to time, without saying a word. There’s a certain part of me that gloats (yes, the immature part) when he goes around them, even though I realize that might not be a good idea when the whole group is abroad. On the other hand they send such drivel for news when they are away that they could easily be left at home while we rely on more professional news sources.

• 104 Renegade522/AuntSis
          March 26, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Oh, I agree totally. POTUS wouldn’t do that but President AuntSis would. :)

• 105 Pamela
          March 26, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Professional meaning the overseas journalists have not been paid off by anyone to slant the reporting, and the real journalists over there have no personal bias towards stacking the news. Or if they did, they would get busted.. People in other countries prefer not to be brainwashed on issues… But this does not apply to countries where democracy is only a dream.. Of course.

33. 106 JER
    March 26, 2012 at 2:16 pm

March 26, 2012 2:15 PM EDT – http://www.whitehouse.gov/live
    First Lady Michelle Obama Welcomes school children from across the country to join her for The Fourth Annual White House Kitchen Garden Spring Planting

March 26, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Oh good, Jer, you found your way! :lol: I have FLOTUS and the kids chatting in the back ground as they play in the dirt.

34. 108 donna dem 4 obama
    March 26, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I took an extended lunchbreak about 11:00 and I just got back from the Supreme Court. I posted some of the pics on twitter.

I heard lots of conversations from people who have been sleeping out there since Saturday from all over the country. There were a few Teabaggers there waving that stupid flag and to my surprise more than the usual were young people. Now how stupid is that!

The most impressive thing was the amount of doctors that were there rallying in support of ACA. A lot of people need this HC plan so I hope these justices do the right thing. This is why elections matter. We cannot let those selfish, self-righeous people back into our WH ever!

The crowd started to thin out around 12:30 so I’m back to work now.

• 109 jackiegrumbacher
      March 26, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Donna–I envy you your closeness to downtown DC. I used to work close to the White House and thought it was the most exciting location I’ve ever worked in. Wish Chips could post your pics here.

• 110 donna dem 4 obama
        March 26, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I am very fortunate to be so close in proximity to all this history taking place. I try and participate in it as often as I can. If it weren’t for having to have to work today I would have been there 1st thing this morning to show our President that We Have His Back!

• 111 Dudette
      March 26, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Neat! Could you post some TwitPics?

Check me out — I’m not even on Twitter and I know some of the lingo just from reading my TOD Family’s posts. :-)

35. 113 jackiegrumbacher
    March 26, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Hi guys, looked for you over here and was glad to see the party has moved. The other thread was getting ponderous to move through and I kept losing my place. We’ve got a big OFA meeting tonight to find out how we’re going to deal with the new anti-voter law. I’m anxious to learn out the game plan.

March 26, 2012 at 2:33 pm

I love my oh so natural FLOTUS! I can see most other First Ladies protecting their hands, talking awkwardly with the kids, looking quite out of place, but not MY VERY OWN FLOTUS. She just settles right in there – wherever she happens to be, much like her husband. We got lucky and I’m so enjoying seeing ‘real’ people in the White House.

37. 117 donna dem 4 obama
    March 26, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Pictures from the Supreme Court today:

38. March 26, 2012 at 2:52 pm

People are reall sensitive today about the HC law.
    Yes, a lot of times the media is against this President, but they do their fair share abduct the Republucans, too.
    In the end, it is all negative reporting, never anything nice, unless it is a leak, or a favor being done.
    Also, curiously, the Justice Dept argued today, that the Law be decided now and not delayed.
    As such, the argument today was for whether or mo the Law was a fine or a Tax.
    If it was rendered a fine, it will be decided now, if a Tax, then it has to be delayed, as the Mandate does not go into effect until 2014.
    According to ALL the Justices and lines of questioning, the Justice Dept won that argument, and the HC law will be heard.
    I was hoping for the opposite to happen, as then if it was tendered a tax, then the law would almost certainly be upheld.
    The reason, Congress obviously has a right to Tax with representation.
    Tuesdays argument is solely on the Mandate, and hence the argument changes, to the Law is now a Tax.
    Strangely enough…

March 26, 2012 at 3:09 pm

People have every right to be “real sensitive” about something which can mean life or death for millions of people. Where health care reform is concerned the media has been largely negative and have construed their reports accordingly. For the media, it’s also a damn game and reality TV show. For the Repubs, it’s politics.

• 122 57andfemale
      March 26, 2012 at 3:44 pm

The DOJ does not want to leave it to the GOD FORBID chance that a Republican administration litigate it. They believe they can mount an effective legal defense.

I so would prefer that this get kicked down the road but everywhere I read, that appears unlikely after today’s arguments.

Once the law is fully implemented people will see that it’s better than what we have now; there are no boogey men who will Eat Your Freedom. The issue will be diffused. Even Michelle Bachmann said that once ACA is implemented, they won’t be able to repeal it.

So I question the DOJ’s rationale. But for all my love of this President, I have questioned the administrations’s rationale behind how to get the public behind the bill (or lack of rationale thereof).

I’m a wreck over this, Jovie. It is an extremely important issue to a lot of people.

• March 26, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Yup. That is true. I forget to explain things when writing and more tines than not, it gets misconstrued.
        I actually find this whole argument, extremely interesting.
        Anyways…

39. 124 Cheryllou
    March 26, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Chuck Todd is filling in for Martin Bashir today. I’m not watching, sorry Martin. I can’t stand Chuck Todd.

• 125 lisalovesobama
      March 26, 2012 at 3:05 pm

see that and raise you my lunch. Gross! hate that fracker!!! Why is he hosting? No gotta switch stations. :x

• 126 57andfemale
      March 26, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Did they scare off Karen Finney? The RWNJ’s really savaged her on common sense gun control.

40. 127 Pamela
    March 26, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I have previously lived in Canada, New Zealand, and Australia, where I paid into the system each week on my taxes, in return I had access o the national health care systems. This is a long time ago, it may be different now, but in Australia the rate was 1% of my salary, thus, everyone paid in 1%. If you made a lot of money, your 1% was proportionately higher, but it was fair. Everyone was covered. I added a private policy for about $15/mo with a $3.00 co-pay which covered my access to alternative therapies, always my preferred favorite, like acupuncture, massage and herbalist. It was fantastic. One of the reasons I sent my daughter to live in Australia at the tender age of 17 was I found no afford to keep her health insurance premiums paid and she was not covered by my employer. It was very hard, but part if the trade off is knowing her medical and dental are covered, because she pays into it. It s not painful, it gives those fortunate enough to live in these civilized countries a sense of security we learn to live without over here. I look forward to the day we have the single payer system in place. Thus country will become kinder and more secure for it.

• 128 donna dem 4 obama
      March 26, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Hi Pamela!

If a person had no job, did the Gov. subsidize their health care? In other words was there a mandate that everyone be covered?

• March 26, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Yes, I’ve lived in Canada, UK, Africa and now the US – and I only ever really thought about health care when the debate started here for the ACA. It’s only then that I realized that people actually have health care as a primary reason for picking or staying in a job. And now that I’ve been looking to find a new job, it’s the first time that I’m ever having to consider what kind of benefits I’ll received, since my current employer is a top benefits providing company. It’s unbelievable to me that any civilized country wouldn’t make health care the most stable factor of citizenship or residency – providing a level of security for it’s people. I look at pictures of the people protesting health care, and I just shake my head at the ignorance and for some, racism, on display.

• 131 Pamela
        March 26, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I know. I loved what the Irish President said about a ‘social floor, below which a civilized country does not allow its citizens to fall’… That broke my heart all over again, for missing the excellent health care I had in other countries for over 20 years, and for now having been without any coverage for the past 5+ years as I am self-employed and still not quite able to afford a policy. Of course at age 61, I have plenty of pre-existing conditions, so for me ACA is a blessing, and I pray daily we come to our senses and move to a properly accessible national system. For All! Then, maybe my daughter could come back for a while, if she wanted to.

41. March 26, 2012 at 3:08 pm

O/T…. Just curious, but was Martin Bashir removed from his show. I keep seeing guest hosts.
    I really hope not as he is one of the best.

42. 138 purpleshoesla
    March 26, 2012 at 3:14 pm

FLOTUS and the kids in the WH garden was too cute. She signed all of their t-shirts! How unfortunate that the WH garden had been infiltrated by that radical subversive group..THE GIRL SCOUTS!!! Oh the horror!! :wink: :lol: Donna Dem thanks for the link to the pics at the SCOTUS today. Another historic event in the making. Many, many years ago I was a congressional intern and spent the summer in DC. I got to go to the SCOTUS and listen to the Bakke decision (reverse discrimination case here in CA) when it was handed down (such an awful ruling). Thurgood Marshall was still alive then and read the dissent to that decision. It was rather awe-inspiring to be sitting in the highest court of the land and that close to the justices.

43. 139 Dudette
    March 26, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Bill Maher’s interview with NYT columnist Charles Blow (his articles get cited here every now and then)
    I know, I know… it’s Bill Maher, just ignore him and listen to his guest, okay? Trust me…

My favorite line comes from the exchange where Maher asked him to comment on Geraldo Rivera’s saying wearing the hoodie was part of the blame for Trayvon Martin’s killing (around 7:20). “…It’s the rape defense “… she wore something that was too revealing and was looking for it.” There are no come-shoot-me-clothes!”

44. 140 Renegade522/AuntSis
    March 26, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Chips created a new post “chat away”…..last one there….

45. March 26, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Wednesday argument is whether or not they have a right to expand Medicaid.
    That is the weakest argument, unless they find Medicaid unconstitutional? But, it was already found to be fair and just.
    Thus, I think Wednesday’s argument is a waste.

RSS Steve Benen