Mar

even more pete souza & chuck kennedy genius

A child reaches out to First Lady Michelle Obama prior to a Faith and Community Groups Leading the Way event at Longwood, Fla., Feb. 11 (Photo by Chuck Kennedy)

Lauren Fleming, the 2011 March of Dimes National Ambassador, looks up as her brother Corbin touches President Obama’s face during a visit to the Oval Office, Feb. 7 (Pete Souza)

President Obama exits a 787 Dreamliner to greet workers and deliver remarks at the Boeing-Everett Production Facility in Everett, Wash., Feb. 17 (Pete Souza)

President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama talk in the Green Room of the White House before hosting a Smithsonian Museum of African American History reception, Feb. 22 (Pete Souza)

President Obama greets audience members after delivering remarks on the economy at the University of Miami, Feb. 23 (Pete Souza)

President Obama talks on the phone with British Prime Minister David Cameron in the Oval Office, Feb. 13 (Pete Souza)

President Obama and Vice President Biden talk with former Representative Gabrielle Giffords and her husband Mark Kelly in the Oval Office, Feb. 10 (Pete Souza)

First Lady Michelle Obama greets visitors as they tour the White House, Feb. 16 (Chuck Kennedy)

President Obama greets students from Medina Elementary School in Medina, Wash., Feb. 17 (Pete Souza)

More photos here

138 Responses to “even more pete souza & chuck kennedy genius”

1. 1 Tally
    March 22, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Chips, check your email.

March 22, 2012 at 5:40 pm

love it!

3. March 22, 2012 at 5:49 pm

The new Anti-Voter trend: close polling locations in minority neighborhoods: http://goo.gl/PpuoD

• 18 Tally
      March 22, 2012 at 5:59 pm

This needs to be on the front page of every newspaper. I HATE THESE PEOPLE.

• 19 Tally
      March 22, 2012 at 5:59 pm

And HOW is that LEGAL???????

• 20 isonprize
      March 22, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Yup, or don’t train the staff to know what they are supposed to do. To wit, the PA law says that state “non-driver’s license” State IDs will be issued free of charge.

Staff at Penn DOT (Dept of Trans) site are saying that if people don’t specifically ask for the fee to be waived and also state that they are only using the ID to vote, then the staff person much charge the $10 fee.

NOTHING IN THE LAW SAYS ANYTHING REMOTELY CLOSE TO THIS!!!

• March 22, 2012 at 6:43 pm

People should sue. If it’s not in the law, then what right do they have to create different rules?

• 22 isonprize
          March 22, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Theo, the lawsuits are being prepared and filed as we speak. ACLU and a few others I’ve heard (I hope NAACP legal Defense fund…) is on it!!

• March 22, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I am in a very white section of Knoxville. For the past 5 or 6 years, at least, I could always go just around the corner, literally 5 or 6 minutes, to do early voting. For the primary that is what I did. Guess what? That location was closed. I never heard it announced or read it in the paper and I listen to local news and ready the paper every day. Just thought it was “interesting” in light of everything else going on.

March 22, 2012 at 6:36 pm

In Arizona, they change the places that you vote around so you never know where you should be. I finally wised up and vote by mail now. I have lived here 11 years, and for the first few, I think I had voted in 6 or 7 different places. I think they WANT people to get pissed off and not vote!

• March 22, 2012 at 6:41 pm

This is why I’m such a big fan of voting by mail. WA State and OR are both 100% vote by mail. It’s easier and save the state money, too.

• 26 aquagranny911
          March 22, 2012 at 8:06 pm

This happened to us in 2010. Our local polling station was changed at the last minute. Hubby went on line to find out where to go because he was late with his mail in & wanted to drop his ballot off. The web site listed the old polling place which he knew was closed. He tried calling the hot line number which was no help at all because it was just a recording to go to the web site. He is one determined voter so he ended up taking his vote directly to the county recorder’s office. He raised a big stink there & they told him who to call. That person claimed all the new info was on the web site while he had the web site up & was looking at it. That person sputtered a bit & said they would look into it. BIG FIGGING BS!!!

The real info never went up on the web site until the day after voting. Hubby checked.

How many people did not get to vote because they are not as bull dogged determined as that beautiful man of mine? No matter, we are so going to be on top of this for November. Hubby has already signed up for poll watching etc.

4. 27 Ladyhawke
    March 22, 2012 at 5:50 pm

having problems, this is only a test comment

5. 28 vitaminlover
    March 22, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Someimes I wonder if President and First Lady Obama would have had a houseful of children instead of 2 if they had the time. Those first 2 pictures just show what precious spirits that they have because of how infants and children just gravitate to them.

6. 34 isonprize
    March 22, 2012 at 5:51 pm

See, the babies KNOW the deal… NOW, we’ve got to get busy in PA. Our hateful Gov (Cut it) Corbett has signed a voter ID bill into law. A government issued ID will be necessary to vote. UUGGGGHHHHH….

More work to do….

7. 35 CEB
    March 22, 2012 at 5:57 pm

These photos have just lowered my bllod pressure.

When I see photos of PBO with his hand on Michelle’s waist, I always think of a bit that Chris Rock did on Letterman a few years back: PBO having to remind himself not to hold her by her butt, which, he said, is what most husbands do, rather than her waist. You had to see how Chris did this to get the humor.

• March 22, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I think he’s forgotten a couple of times – I know SHE has. There’s one picture when they’re going up the steps of a plane, and her hand is quite clearly on not on his waist…

8. March 22, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Whitney Houston died of heart attack- due to cocaine use.

CNN-

• 49 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      March 22, 2012 at 6:10 pm

WELL…DRUGS WEAR ON THE BODY…SOONER OR LATER…SAD.

• March 22, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Don Lemon said the level of alcohol was extreme at time of death.

Their should be a law passed that all Singers, Actors has to be drug tested every year. That way we all have the delight of seeing these wonderful people, and in return, their lives are rescued and more importantly they get to live!

• 52 collegekay
        March 22, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Alcohol wasn’t a contributing factor – cocaine and heart disease was though and she accidently drowned. very sad. I was rooting for Whitney.

March 22, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Where did Don Lemon get that information from? According to the coroner’s report – no alcohol was found in her system.

• March 22, 2012 at 6:43 pm

He said in the weeks to cone more and more about this case will trickle out.

March 22, 2012 at 6:47 pm

That doesn’t answer my question of where did he get the info that “the level of alcohol was extreme” at the time of her death. Unless the toxicologist is lying, the toxicology report completely contradicts that statement, regardless of how much information trickles out in the weeks to come.

• March 22, 2012 at 7:00 pm

There was alcohol reported to be in her room—–but no evidence that I’ve seen that she was the one drinking it—-there was a bunch of people in there.

• 59 Linda
      March 22, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Accidental drowning is what the coroner is putting on the DC.

CNN is tabloid trash…

• 60 yardarm756
        March 22, 2012 at 7:14 pm

SO FUCKING WHAT. SHE’S GONE. LET HER BE. THERE ISN’T ONE PERSON ON THIS SITE THAT COULD HAVE MADE A DIFFERENCE.

• March 22, 2012 at 6:42 pm

So tragic. The most beautiful, clearest voice of all time and a life spun out of control. If anyone ever saw the reality show, “Being Bobby Brown”, it was the epitome of dysfunction and chaos. I was always hopeful for her—–she was my fave—–but I never felt confident that she had ever turned the corner—-sweat always just flowing off of her. Heartbreaking and such a waste—–the accumulation of all those years of heavy drug use caught up with her. So very sad.

9. 62 Brit
    March 22, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I wish the President didn’t approve of the southern part of the Keystone pipeline. Nothing about this pipeline is good. It doesn’t create a lot of jobs either.

• 63 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      March 22, 2012 at 6:08 pm

AT LEAST IT WILL SETTLE THE STORM…WE HAVE SO MANY OTHER THINGS ON THE FIRE!

• March 22, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Oh well! He is President in a very divided Nation. A very difficult job!

• 65 Sharon
      March 22, 2012 at 6:34 pm

From reading Oklahoma newspapers, I learned that Oklahoma is pumping an excess of oil and is having to build storage units at Cushing to hold it all. This southern pipeline will carry regular crude oil (not from tar sands) for now anyway and will alleviate the glut. We have pipelines all over the US. Astounding when you see the maps.

The tar sands oil that we already get from Canada (refined in Montana and North Dakota) has been partially refined by Canada before it is shipped south. But the tar sands crude they want to move through that pipeline contains some wickedly noxious stuff. When disaster hits from a massive spill, everyone will be so shocked and wonder why we didn’t consider this ahead of time.

Bill Moyers had a person on his show who was active in driving the housing mess. Wasn’t apologetic, just said everyone was so caught up in it and pushing it that no one seemed to consider the consequences. The devious push for the pipeline by Congressmen to try to force President Obama’s hand reminds me of that.

March 22, 2012 at 6:40 pm

It was important that he did that. This DOESN’T have anything to do with the tar sands from Canada. It has to do with the glut of oil in OK, and no way to get it to the refineries in TX/Gulf.

Those oil rigs in OK STILL produce oil. It has to go somewhere for use. What they pump out of the ground as raw material is no use to anyone….I think that was the right move.

• March 22, 2012 at 6:45 pm

But according to Boner, the Presidents executive order does nothing.

March 22, 2012 at 6:50 pm

We listen to Boner…why? Isn’t he crying somewhere now? He needs to get LOTS of “alone time” come Nov.

• 69 Tally
          March 22, 2012 at 6:58 pm

He’s right in part. On Jan 22nd, 2009, PBO signed an EO to close GITMO – but you can’ just CLOSE IT. You can’t just lovek the doors and tell everyone, “Bye. You can go home. Good luck.” without the means to get there.

There needs to be money to do it. Money to ship everyone and everything out of Cuba, and money to house those who are still in custody.

Congress has voted FOUR TIMES on the funding to close GITMO, and only SIX DEMS have voted to fund it.

So, Boner is technically right – there will need to be MONEY etc – but all of that is already there, so in this case, Boner is just being the usual, anti-Obama asshole he is, instead of trying to take this as a victory.

The longer he keeps up having tantrums like a five year old, the better for everyone.

• 73 Mel
      March 22, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Well PBO on Energy policy is all of the above, and The Keystone pipeline is part of it!!!!!PBO is looking
      for a long term solution on our Energy consumtion. I am o.k with it.

• 74 yardarm756
        March 22, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Me too Mel. PBO is not prone to shoot-from-the-hip decision making. Whatever he does, you can be sure has been carefully thought out.

10. 75 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    March 22, 2012 at 6:07 pm

PRECIOUS PIX OF POTUS AND FLOTUS…AND THE FACE HE IS MAKING FOR THAT BABY!!!!! OUR SWEET FIRST COUPLE…THEY LOVE CHILDREN AND ARE WONDERFUL PARENTS!

11. March 22, 2012 at 6:13 pm

How was the crowd size at OSU!

12. 77 Sharon
    March 22, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Ever watch how Mitt Romney picks up and holds a baby? I don’t ordinarily watch his events, but one day on C-Span an Obama event was to be shown following him. Had the sound off but at one point he began picking up one after another–prearranged grouping of them. As he picks them up, he turns them with their face outward and never brings them very close to his body. Maybe afraid they will spit on him (who’s to blame the baby). President Obama cradles them and interacts with them. And sometimes gets fingers in his mouth. Adorable really. Great bonding.

13. 81 collegekay
    March 22, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Excellent photos. Good evening everyone. I secured another interview with OFA for Monday. Last Fall I didn’t get the internship but the guy called me today saying he liked my enthusiasm at the last OFA event so he wants to meet again. I’m so nervous. : )

14. 93 Ladyhawke
    March 22, 2012 at 6:17 pm

MITT ROMNEY LIES CONTINUE AFTER BEING FACT-CHECKED

The one who actually needs to apologize

By Steve Benen

==================================

Sam Stein noted yesterday that Mitt Romney, on the campaign trail, told voters it “just broke my heart” when he saw President Obama “go around the world apologizing for America.”
    This was immediately fact-checked, and it was immediately proven false, but that hasn’t stopped Romney from repeating this claim nearly every day since.
    If Romney had said it once and then walked it back, it would have been merely offensive. He might even be able to feign ignorance after telling the lie a single time. But if someone makes a dishonest claim, learns that’s it’s not true, and then chooses to repeat it countless times anyway, that person is no longer simply mistaken — that person is lying.

==================================

March 22, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Rachel Maddow said it all last night. Mitt Romney is a liar. I say he is a bold face liar. But no one deserve Romney more than the Republican Party.

• 95 Mel
        March 22, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Rachel was masterful last night and we all should give her a lot’s of credit I have and I thanked her
        for all the good reporting she is doing on her show.

• 96 COS
      March 22, 2012 at 7:00 pm

The fact that he repeats his lies after being fact checked is the thing that I hate about him most.

• 97 Liberal Librarian
        March 22, 2012 at 7:26 pm

The “Big Lie” worked when all you had were newspapers and radio. Kind of hard to get away with that kind of lying in the Age of YouTube.

• 99 amk for obama
      March 22, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I knew that it is that moron tau before even clicking the link. Anything Obama says is ‘touts’ to that idjit with limited vocab.

15. 100 Ladyhawke
    March 22, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Oh boy, I could eat that baby up. Those cheeks are just irresistible. Too cute.

16. 101 anniebella
    March 22, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Rev. Al said that his mother passed away, he thought about not coming to Sanford, but he knew his mother would want him to be there. I’m so sorry to hear about Rev. Al’s mother passing.

• March 22, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I lost my mom at the age of 85 and she had Alzheimer’s. You are never prepared.

March 22, 2012 at 6:37 pm

She was 87 years old and had been battling Alzheimer’s for some time now. As Rev Al said, it is sad losing his mother, but as a son, he expected to have to bury his mother at some point. It shouldn’t be the other way around as is the case with Trayvon’s parents. No mother or father should have to bury their healthy 17-year old son.

March 22, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Nice pictures, Thanks for the extra treats, Chips. :lol:

18. March 22, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Over at the great orange satan there’s a FP post with that beautiful video of PBO talking to the deaf kid. Comments are awesome. It kinda worth the click. :)

• 106 COS
      March 22, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I saw the story posted on Yahoo last night. I think it is wonderful.

• 107 Linda
      March 22, 2012 at 7:20 pm

There is also a good story about another incident in Florida where an AA killed a white man and is claiming the Stand your Ground law…but he is going to court.

Black Shooter of White Victim in Florida Claimed “Stand Your Ground”, still went to Court

• 108 0388jojothecat
        March 22, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I am with Trayvon’s mother, this is not a black or white issue this is a justice issue. No one should pull a gun on anyone who is unarmed. The Dad playing in the park with his daughter was protecting unarmed kids and probably his kid and himself, why should he be dead? Looking at the video of the older AA gentleman that had the gun and shot the father appears to have been frustrated with the kids skate boarding on the basketball court. Those kids were not on HIS property, so why bring a gun to frighten kids? I don’t care what race that guy is, he should be charged for manslaughter just like the guy who shot Trayvon, they both went looking for trouble. Trayvon’s assailent should be tried for murder because he was told to stand down, the police were on their way.

This law and all of the states that have similar laws like it should repeal them or more children and innocent people will be killed. I remember some kids were skating underneath the apartment where I lived. I asked them to go skate somewhere else because I was studying and they did not live there. The elementary school was still open across the street and I told them to go skate on the school playground. One little boy took off his skate as if to hit me with it (he was about ten or eleven, I was about 20yrs old), I grabbed it out of his hand pushed him back and told him if he wanted his skate back, he needed to bring his mother with him. He got in my face like he wanted to fight me and I told him he better get some sense. When his little friends started crying I gave the skate back and told them don’t come back. I prayed his parents did not come looking for me but as aggrevating as those kids were, as an adult I had to step back and have a cooler head — they were just kids.

We live in a “Zero tolerance” society that creates more problems when a little common sense could be applied on a case by case basis like we used to.

• 109 amk for obama
      March 22, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Did the usual haters troll the thread ?

March 22, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Reports: Afghan Shooting Suspect To Be Charged With 17 Counts Of Murder

Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, the U.S. soldier accused of killing 17 Afghan civilians, will be charged with 17 counts of murder, an official tells the Associated Press.

The official says charges against Bales also include six counts of attempted murder and six counts of aggravated assault and other violations of military law. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the charges had not been announced.

20. March 22, 2012 at 6:49 pm

The media keeps saying that Robney is a nice Man.
    No he is Not! Not from what I have seen, or know about him.
    For real!

• 113 COS
      March 22, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Robney is a lying, despicable dishonest, vile and nasty man. There are many words to describe him but nice isn’t one of them. I absolutely have no respect for and detest this lying human being. He is worst than Gingrich and Santorum togeth, and more dangerous.

• March 22, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I agree, and the media sells us this scumbag everyday!

March 22, 2012 at 7:14 pm

The media might be selling but the voters (outside of the die-hard Obama haters) aren’t buying. Obama is beating Willard in his own state of MA by double digits. No one wants Etch a Sketch for President.

• 116 Mel
          March 22, 2012 at 7:29 pm

And did anybody know that A Republican Donor Harold Simmons will donate $ 18 million
          to Mitt Superpac $ 18 Million by a single donor? fuck me so now let’s see if we can get
          18 million Voters against Mitt lying asholeRomney.

21. March 22, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I have been at the ny daily news headlines over Tebow.
    Now, they have the Staue of liberty posing like Tebow does.
    Ha!

22. March 22, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Elon James White was at the “million hoodie march” in NYC yesterday. Afterwards, he was on twitter and he was talking about how something involving the OWS crowd’s behaviour at the rally made him really pissed. Here’s his account:

How Occupy Wall Street Co-Opted The Million Hoodie March

• 121 Melanie
      March 22, 2012 at 7:26 pm

I was watching the livestream of the march and noticed the same thing!! I understand exactly how Elon feels and wonder if this Occupy moment would actually be a movement if they had some leadership.

• March 22, 2012 at 8:03 pm

It figures. While on twitter yesterday I saw a few tweets about some white folks chanting some hard core ‘revolutionary’ things and then another tweet was about the crowd switching things up on the police at some bridge. It was a just a mess of things I didn’t understand and for a second I thought it sounded too much like Occupy nonsense.

23. 123 meabloom
    March 22, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Sooo… Pete must be PBO photographer and Chuck FLMO’s??
    Great photos. Kids just love them don’t they?? (sigh) Love that fourth photo.
    Thanks for sharing.

Obama/Biden2012

24. 124 Melanie
    March 22, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Marine One wheels down South Lawn 6:47— West Wing Report (@WestWingReport) March 22, 2012

March 22, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Oh that’s right – our President has to be home in time for the Greek Celebration at the WH tonight. I hope he gets a solid night’s rest tonight and sleeps in until 10AM tomorrow.

25. 128 collegekay
    March 22, 2012 at 7:16 pm

pbo sign language video has over 500k views!

• 129 Melanie
      March 22, 2012 at 7:29 pm

That’s really cool. I’ve seen it all over the place including Huff Po, Yahoo and the Barack Obama twitter site. I would love to see a tv interview with that student.

26. 130 lisalovesobama
    March 22, 2012 at 7:29 pm

So guys. R-money’s gonna be on Leno on Tuesday. Hooray!!!! Willard is gonna get to show how funny and personable and smart and relatable he is on the teevee!!!!! Next, Mrs. R-money will be going on Letterman and Leno!!!!!! Hercules, Hercules!!!!!

• 131 lisalovesobama
      March 22, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I’m guessing about Mrs. Money though but it’s highly likely given what a huge copy cat her freakazoid husband is

March 22, 2012 at 7:47 pm

And I guess the complaining Mrs. R-money will be on Ellen also.

March 22, 2012 at 7:53 pm

FLOTUS copy-cat! Next she’ll be starting her “let’s move” initiative – Repub Edition.

March 22, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Or her Joining Forces, or planting a garden, or showing off her fit arms. I am just so piss at how the media lets Mrs. complaining R-money gets away with all her complaining. If it was Mrs. Obama complaining like that, can you just imagine the B.S. she would be getting from the right wing nuts.

27. 135 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    March 22, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Since this tweet …

The video views have now exceed 195,000 :)

#PRESSON

March 22, 2012 at 7:53 pm

A new report finds that 248 members of Congress allegedly used their positions to benefit their families since 2008.

The report found that 82 members — 40 Democrats and 42 Republicans — paid family members through their congressional offices, campaign committees and political action committees but highlighted Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) as an example, noting he “paid six relatives salaries or fees, the most of any member.”

Note to Ron Paul: If you hate govt so much, why don’t you quit doing family favors from your govt perch?

March 22, 2012 at 7:55 pm

HAHA! I’ve often found that the things that R politicians rail against the most outwardly is the thing that they most cherish behind closed doors.

• March 22, 2012 at 8:12 pm

GASP! HA HA HA LOL… OH, So Mr. Secret Service Is Welfare used his government job to help his family. Oh but they probably earned it and the money was there anyway blah blah hypocrite bullshit.