Apr

evening all

Steve Benen: The general trend on initial unemployment claims over the last few months has been largely encouraging, and today’s report offers additional good news.

In fact, the new figures are the best since April 2008, and even exceeded positive expectations:

The number of Americans who filed requests for jobless benefits fell by 6,000 last week to 357,000, the U.S. Labor Department said Thursday. Economists surveyed by MarketWatch had projected claims would total 360,000, seasonally adjusted, in the week ended March 31. Claims from two weeks ago were revised up to 363,000 from 359,000. The average of new-benefit applications over the past four weeks, meanwhile, dropped by 4,250 to 361,750.

More here

More here

Ugh:

President Obama signs the Jumpstart Our Business Startups (JOBS) Act as Small Business leaders and members of Congress, including Eric Cantor, look on

President Barack Obama greets participants In the Roosevelt Room of the White House prior to signing the Jumpstart Our Business Startups (JOBS) Act, April 5 (Photo by Pete Souza)

Washington Post: New numbers from a USA Today/Gallup poll of 12 swing states suggests that Mitt Romney is quickly losing support among independent voters – a voting bloc considered the crown jewel of the 2012 election.

Romney’s number in Gallup polling has dropped 10 points among independents since last fall, while President Obama’s number is up by nearly that same amount during the same time frame.

Romney’s struggles among independents are due almost entirely to the fact that independent women, who were voting for him over Obama by 5 points last fall, now favor the Democratic incumbent by a 51 percent-to-37 percent margin.

More here

McClatchy

ThinkProgress: PepsiCo, the world’s second largest beverage company, has ended its partnership with ALEC, the controversial right-wing group that lobbies for voter suppression efforts. Pepsi’s move, which actually came in January but was first reported this morning by NPR, may also have had a role in compelling Coca-Cola to drop its support for ALEC.

Yesterday, progressive advocacy group Color of Change announced a boycott effort targeting several other corporations that are still members of the group, which for years has partnered with elected officials at a state level to draft and pass controversial, far-right legislation. Just a few hours later, Coke announced that they too are severing ties with the ALEC.

More here

The Week

Actress Julianne Moore, who was just in town for the D.C. premiere of “Game Change,” will be back on Monday for an event at the White House.

Moore, who played Sarah Palin in the controversial HBO flick, will read to children at the annual Easter Egg Roll, the White House announced on Twitter. Actor Forest Whitaker, Disney star Bella Thorne and Robin Roberts of “Good Morning America” will also take part in the reading.

A bunch of celebrity chefs will also be on hand, including Andrew Zimmern, Richard Blais, Marcus Samuelsson, Carla Hall and Bryan Voltaggio. Other notables you might see wandering around the South Lawn: Andy Roddick, Michelle Kwan and DJ Jazzy Jeff.

Ed Kilgore: You never know how these things are going to turn out, but I get the feeling that RNC Chairman Reince Priebus’ comparison of Democratic claims of a GOP “war on women” to a hypothetical “war on caterpillars” could be an iconic moment in the 2012 election cycle. No, it won’t necessarily change any votes right away, but it is likely to become a convenient symbol of the cavalier attitude the GOP has towards “women’s issues.”

More here

Cagle

I’m waaaaaaay behind with all this news today, apologies!

In case you missed Hachikō’s update, she will be staying tonight with one of the great people here who offered to help. I’m sure when she gets a chance she’ll update us on her situation, the main thing, for now, is that she is safe.

415 Responses to “evening all”

1. April 5, 2012 at 6:10 pm

The Caithness Shepherds Flat wind farm in eastern Oregon features 338 turbines spread across two counties. The project is supporting thousands of jobs beyond the 1,000 construction workers on site. The project will utilize 15 suppliers in nine states to fulfill orders for the 845 megawatt wind farm, including General Electric assembly facilities in Pensacola, Florida and Tehachapi, California. Logistics companies, indirect suppliers, and site contractors are also playing an important role in the project. | Image courtesy of Caithness Shepherds Flat

2. 10 0388jojothecat
    April 5, 2012 at 6:10 pm

First first first….

3. 13 Bobfr
    April 5, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Good afternoon/evening TOD,

Urge all of you to read LL’s latest at TPV.

#AmericaThisIsNotATest

#PRESSON

4. 18 Judith Fardig
    April 5, 2012 at 6:12 pm

PRESS ON!

5. 19 GGail
    April 5, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Chipsticks – you’re making up for your absence – WHEW!
    I’m reading as fast as I can :-)
    And yes, it is good news about our sister Hachiko & her dog Tucker.

WE ARE FAMILY!

Oh, and…..I’m FIRST :lol:

April 5, 2012 at 6:19 pm

/heavy eyeroll

• 21 theo67
      April 5, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Who were these women, anyway? I don’t believe it.

• 22 57andfemale
        April 5, 2012 at 7:49 pm

This is what scares the shit out of me. What reason would they have to prefer Romney? They are susceptible to the Romney lies and there will be a barrage of lies the likes of which we have never seen.

Smierconish on Hardball just cited a couple of polls where health care is of the utmost important to women, and surprisingly, men ( but I question what men mean by ‘health care matters to them’. Repealing ACA? But to women it’s extremely important.

And gas prices. Way up there for women.

Men care about the deficit and debt. That’s a good sell job on the part of Republicans.

Every possible dime I can give, I’m giving to defeat Republicans.

• 23 jackiegrumbacher
          April 5, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I find it hard to believe that men who are struggling with health issues themselves or have children who need healthcare (what child doesn’t?) are more concerned about the national debt than the well-being of their families. I just don’t buy it. I think they “say” they care about the debt because it seems more manly and makes them sound important. But really, when your family includes a sick child or you’re worried about paying doctor’s bills, do you really think about the debt first? Not in any world I’ve ever lived in.

• 24 57andfemale
            April 5, 2012 at 10:42 pm

I actually do know men like this, where the burden to make things works falls squarely on the women. Then they spout about debt and deficits and taxes.

7. 25 lisalovesobama
    April 5, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Ugh! what’s little lord dumbo doing there, right behind PBO. I wonder what he’s thinking behind that fake smile.

8. 36 aquagranny911
    April 5, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Does any one else here feel like sticking Eric Kantor’s grinning head in a toilet and flushing it a few times? I despise that guy so much & I don’t like to see him too close to our Prez.

9. 53 Dakota
    April 5, 2012 at 6:28 pm

“A bunch of celebrity chefs will also be on hand, including Andrew Zimmern, Richard Blais, Marcus Samuelsson, Carla Hall and Bryan Voltaggio.”

WOW!! I LOVE Marcus Samuelson and Carla Hall!!! I wish I could be there…

• 54 Alycee (@jazziz2)
      April 5, 2012 at 6:45 pm

We didn’t get tickets this year. Truthfully, I think my mom (almost 80) is more disappointed than the grands. She was bugging me to call various folks that I know to possibly get tickets and got ticked when I refused. LOL. Every year, I or another family member received tickets via the lottery and went in 2009 and 2011; I gave my 2010 tickets to a friend (don’t tell my Mom, as I she thinks I didn’t get 2010 tickets).

• 55 utaustinliberal
      April 6, 2012 at 11:17 am

Marcus Samuelson really is the BEST!

10. 56 Dudette
    April 5, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Something for all of our family who are in pain tonight. You are loved…

• April 5, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Stunning. I love this song, especially the Alicia Keys/Bono version, but this is tops. Thanks so much, Dudette.

• 58 isonprize
      April 5, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Dudette, thanks for this. I never heard this song. What a soothing, inspiring piece. I love John Legend and Herbie Hancock. I’ve only heard fast stuff by Pink, so this was a change for me. Stuff like this is one of the reasons I love my TOD fam. Always something new to learn!

11. April 5, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Retailers reporting sales are up higher than expected, hiring up, house sales up—–that’s how NBC Nightly News began tonight—-of course they had to add the possibility of gas going over $5/gal which would affect the current confidence. But at least they managed to report some positive economic news for a change. It must have hurt.

12. 60 djshay
    April 5, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Hi all. I also wanted to give you an update on Hachikō (@marabout40). I was able to send her some cash this afternoon so hopefully this will help her get through this tough time. You guys are great! Obama would be so proud :)

• 61 sherijr
      April 5, 2012 at 6:54 pm

oh that is really good news djshay, thank you for letting us know, and I read on the last thread that she got a place w/ Miss Pat. Please have her let us know when/ how we can help more.

• 62 HZ
        April 5, 2012 at 7:40 pm

We are so joyful for Hachiko. Miss Pat is an angel. A beautiful spirit. A really, really beautiful spirit. Please in your thoughts and prayers give thanks for Miss Pat. That is one thing I can say for sure. What a blessing!!!

Sherijr, has anyone thought of asking Hachiko if she can use some gift cards from different places. Maybe some of us could send those if she has some places that she might need some personal items, we could get some gift cards for her. Just a thought. I do not know how to send money with Western Union or Paypal.

However, I do want to help. If anyone find out how we can do that, it will be helpful. I am just so happy that she is with Miss Pat. She is a gem, so there is peace in my heart knowing that Hachiko is with her tonight. We are going to get through this, I know that.HZ

• 63 lisalovesobama
      April 5, 2012 at 6:56 pm

how were you able to do that? Is there a way for the rest of us to do so too?

• 64 djshay
        April 5, 2012 at 7:08 pm

She gave me her personal info and I sent her some money through Western Union. I can ask her if she has some way of getting money through paypal. I’ll update you on what she says.

• 65 aquagranny911
          April 5, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Please do because Western Union is a total rip off especially for those of us who only have a few $$ to contribute. I want her to get the full benefit not Western Union. I have real issues with them over the few times I had to wire money to relatives.

• 66 djshay
            April 5, 2012 at 7:50 pm

I know what you mean. I’ll ask about gift cards, etc. I know I used to use visa Vanilla cards for a while when I was in her situation.

• 67 taiping1
              April 5, 2012 at 8:33 pm

If she has an address we can send checks, or some banks allow transfers. Western union deducts a service fee every time you take money off. I think you can also send prepaid Visa cards. I would be happy to send something, especially since I found I overpaid taxes this year.

• 68 lisalovesobama
          April 5, 2012 at 7:26 pm

thanks, i appreciate it.

• 69 aquagranny911
        April 5, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Co-sign! Please let us know because I can contribute some. I’m glad her dog is now being cared for & that she has a place to stay until she can sort things out.

13. 70 Ladyhawke
    April 5, 2012 at 6:46 pm

The jackals are very concerned about the “OPTICS’ of the women’s conference at the White House. Could politics be involved??

Ace reporter April Ryan has concerns about the Women’s Conference being held at the White House tomorrow. My heart aches for Press Secretary Jay Carney that he has to answer questions like this from the White House Press Corps. Unbelievable…..

—————————-

April.

Q Jay, I want to go back to the women’s jobs conference tomorrow. Understanding that the White House — everything comes to the White House, all — the White House covers all groups pretty much — what other groups are you looking at having conferences for — jobs conferences, particularly?

MR. CARNEY: I don’t have any scheduling announcements to make. We have had a heck of a lot of conferences over the three-plus years that we’ve been here, and I’m sure we will have more. These kinds of conferences help to focus the energies of an administration on specific initiatives and legislation, to focus attention on issues of importance, and we’ll continue to do that. But I have no announcements to make about other upcoming conferences. I want them to be exciting and surprising. (Laughter.)

Q Okay. Well, they will be exciting and surprising. But the question comes after your exchange with Ed. And it does kind of make you wonder, particularly when there are certain groups still in this country that have disproportionate numbers compared to mainstream America. And I understand women are heads of households in a lot of homes — a large portion are breadwinners and things of that nature in homes. But there are also other groups, like the African American community, who still has a disproportionate number, and the Labor Department even came out with a study on the black workforce. And what’s next after that? And that was last year, and I’m still wondering what’s next, especially with this conference.

MR. CARNEY: Well, I can — I don’t have with me the variety of initiatives that this administration has undertaken and continues to undertake either directly or principally benefit economically minority communities or underserved areas of the country. The focus of this particular conference is on women. As I said before, there have been and will be — continue to be a number of similar conferences and forums at the White House that focus on particular initiatives aimed at sectors of the economy or sectors of the population, or specific policy initiatives, whether they’re education or — they regard education or the economy or even national security. So the broad focus of all of these efforts with regards to domestic policy is economic growth and development for everyone in this country.

I think the underlying principle that the President states so clearly, as he did just the other day in his speech to the AP luncheon, was that his economic vision is one where everybody gets a fair shot, everybody gets — is given a fair shake, and everybody plays by the same rules. That is the underlying principle by his whole economic policy approach and will continue to be so.

——————————–

• 71 globalcitizenlinda
      April 5, 2012 at 6:56 pm

I will never forget how April Ryan embarassed her self when she asked Robert Gibbs whether the former White House Social Secretary Desiree Rogers was up-staging Mrs Obama. And this “reporter” thought this barber-shop gossip was very important given that two attention-seeking people had crushed the White House State Dinner.

• 72 lisalovesobama
      April 5, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Can. Not. Stand. That. Woman.

• 73 jackiegrumbacher
      April 5, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Optics, my foot. They’re concerned that PBO has utterly appropriated women’s issues because Romney and the GOP managed to alienate and offend the biggest voting group in the country.

• 74 Ladyhawke
        April 6, 2012 at 8:18 am

Tell it jg. You can always tell when PBO has hit a nerve or has shown he has the upper hand on some issue with the GOP. The jackals hate that because it exposes them for their feckless reporting. What I find fascinating is not only do the jackals ask questions for the GOP. When Jay Carney answers the questions the jackals will challenge his response using the GOP spin. It’s really astonishing to watch this take place every day in the briefing room. As far as I am concerned, this is advocacy not journalism. We might as well drop the pretense and just let Boehner and McConnell’s press secretaries sit in the front row and ask the questions.

14. 75 Liberal Librarian
    April 5, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Um, people, can I get a “HOLY CRAP!!!” from the congregation?

In the 2012 presidential election, President Barack Obama could double the amount of support he got from evangelicals in the 2008 election, according to Barna Group, a Christian polling organization.

In 2008, Obama received the support of about 11 percent of evangelicals, according to Barna Group. In a March 14-21 Barna Group poll of 647 likely voters, twice as many evangelicals, 22 percent, said they were prepared to vote for Obama.

Story here: http://www.christianpost.com/news/poll-evangelicals-may-double-their-support-for-obama-in-2012-election-72657/

Hat tip to @jeffersonobama

• 76 Dudette
      April 5, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Holy Winning Crap!

• 80 globalcitizenlinda
      April 5, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Holy Crap! and Amen for bonus.

Any person of deep faith or personal empathy has a clear choice if they believe in the Summon on the Mount or similar text – PBO best represents this and in fact he has previously answered that this was his most meaningful part of the bible

• 81 Liberal Librarian
        April 5, 2012 at 7:04 pm

I will say this about my post-Vatican II Catholic upbringing: the priests and nuns and lay teachers hammered the Sermon on the Mount to us as being the essence of following Jesus. That’s still stuck with me all these years later.

• 82 Betsy
        April 5, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I agree and any person who takes the words of Christ seriously has to see that it is PBO that is walking the walk, not the GOP.

• 83 globalcitizenlinda
        April 5, 2012 at 9:32 pm

correcttion: “Sermon on the Mount”

• April 5, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Can I hear an amen!!!!

• 85 Liberal Librarian
        April 5, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I wonder if the media realizes that all the crap it throws against PBO is failing to stick? And that in their failure, they’re just quickening their irrelevancy? I think I get 95% of my information from sources other than the US media. They’re just useless as sources of unbiased reporting.

• 86 Betsy
          April 5, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Same here. I have to wonder what they thought of what PBO said about the “equivalency” issue in today’s reporting in the speech to the AP? They haven’t changed a thing; it’s like they didn’t even address it. Sad bunch of fools.

• 87 HZ
        April 5, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Ms. Chips,” I hear an Amen”. and another Amen, Amen, Amen, Amen!!! Remember the song, “Amen.” HZ

April 5, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Seriously??????????? If PBO can do that, with THEM, that means that the RW has TOTALLY GONE OFF THE DEEP END!

• 93 Lorraine
      April 5, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Let the Church say Amen! :-) Boston, I believe you have a problem; his name is Willard “Myth” Romney.

• 94 aquagranny911
      April 5, 2012 at 7:26 pm

OMG! and HOLY CRAP!!! Is this a real poll?

• 95 Liberal Librarian
        April 5, 2012 at 7:29 pm

A real poll from the Barna Group, which has tracked Evangelicals in polling for a few decades. It’s an Evangelical group itself, so it knows its stuff. One more explanation for the panic being shown by the GOP and its masters.

• 96 Liberal Librarian
        April 5, 2012 at 7:32 pm

And just to be clear: the 11% of the Evangelical vote that PBO received in 2008 was probably all AA. If he’s doubling that for 2012, he’s eating into the white Evangelical vote. That’s HUGE.

• April 5, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Say what? Could it be that God, Guns and Gays are not their priority or do they see a true Christian before them?

• 99 Liberal Librarian
        April 5, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Now, granted, there’s no GOP nominee, it’s only April, yada yada yada. But PBO should in no way be pulling 22% of the Evangelical vote if we’re to believe the conventional wisdom. This shouldn’t even be a possibility. The fact that he has that much support—even if it’s conditional—is startling.

• April 5, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I wonder if the anti-Mormon sentiment explains some of that.

• 101 Liberal Librarian
            April 5, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Possible. But if that were the case, they’d just say they wouldn’t vote, not that they’d support PBO.

• 102 Betsy
              April 5, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I wonder if these evangelicals are finally seeing how the GOP have been manipulating them all these years. Remember that guy who wrote a book talking about how Rove spoke disparagingly about the evangelical Christians but they shut him down right away.

• 103 Walking_on_ Sunshine
                April 6, 2012 at 12:53 am

I think so too Betsy. People surely don’t want to sit in church and be lied to. Some maybe don’t like to have their intelligence insulted. Some of them are probably thinking on the commandment “Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor”. I would think by now that some of these evangelicals would like to go to church to practice their faith, not to be told who to vote for.

• 104 PoliticalJunkessa
            April 5, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I do truly think that is part of it. As a former evangelical, I can tell you that people have been steeped in anti-Mormon teaching for years and years. Funnily (but predictably), all of the sudden, they’re not doing so much of that teaching (save for a few apologetics specialists), but it won’t be easy to erase the doctrinal foundation.

• 105 Bobfr
      April 5, 2012 at 7:46 pm

It’s because people perceive, even those who try very hard to avoid it, the glowing beacon of his deep personal empathy for each person.

#AmericaThisIsNotATest

#PRESSON

• April 5, 2012 at 7:48 pm

OMGI can’t stop laughing.

• 114 GGail

April 5, 2012 at 9:13 pm

James Dobson weeps.

• 117 jackiegrumbacher
      April 5, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Now that is a BFD!

April 5, 2012 at 6:57 pm

I have no doubt that the DEM enthusiasm level is going to fly thru the roof this election…we’re already seeing the signs…check out this photo of a Chicago HQ – back in April 2011, and then a year later to this month (April 2012), and note the difference…

Bottom Line: This ain’t the 2010 midterms.

• 120 taiping1
      April 5, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Look at the fired up video from the campaign that Chips posted yesterday. The power of people coming together for positive change for all if us will beat the negativity and lies of SlickMitt. I love the fact that PBO gets to talk about shared value, the role of government, our responsibility to one another, the generosity and daring that have brought us to this point and that will build an America for the 21st century for all is us, not just the 1 %

16. 121 nintendowii10
    April 5, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Keith Olberloon to sue Al Gore.

I’ve HAD it with Olberloon’s EGO! He should have taken the hint when he got the pink slip from MSNBC, but he has gone WAY TOO FAR!

• 122 lisalovesobama
      April 5, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I’m not fond of either, so I’ll be sitting in the stands, munching on popcorn and laughing my ass off.

• 125 0388jojothecat
      April 5, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I am so glad he’s no longer on the air. I hope he’s gone from the pundit news media forever. I was once a huge fan of his especially during the 2008 election, then he turned on PBO and I was through with him.

• 126 57andfemale
      April 5, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Ratings, as low as they were, plummeted after the firing. Spitzer is awful, a real PL whiner with all the answers and not the good sense to act like a responsible human being and keep his day job. I love this great Democrats who harm the party and then preach and whine about PBO. I thought he was better than that, but at least Keith was a decent writer. Without a strong bench to draw from, this may hurt Current.

Stephanie and Bill are doing great in the morning, however.

• April 5, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Yes, they are! I almost fainted this morning when Stephanie said the next caller was from Hampton, TN. Friends, that is the area I am from……uninformed, “red-neck”, evangelical. True, he sounded like a “red-neck”–said lovingly since it’s the way my brother talks–:), but he was also articulate and talked about how difficult it is to be a Democrat “in this area.” There may be hope after all!!!

April 5, 2012 at 7:05 pm

April 5, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Chips – I love your caption for the Cantor shot: “Ugh”

Pretty much covers it. :)

19. 135 sherijr
    April 5, 2012 at 7:20 pm

so I go lay down w/the beginnings of a migraine for a couple hours.. come back and missed an entire party~ dang :) Hope your birthday has been perfecto Joan.. and it seems Hachiko has settled in or is settling in w/ Miss Pat. All good news today for the most part :) Yay!

I read on the last thread that Maddow plans some big news regarding MI tonight.. since no tv or cable here, will those of you that watch her.. inform the rest of us, what the big news turns out to be ?

April 5, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Hope your migraine goes away soon sherijr. I’ll take a peek at Maddow and see what her “huge political news” is. We will be sure to report here if it’s anything of interest!

• 137 sherijr
        April 5, 2012 at 7:36 pm

oh I’m good now.. i caught it in time w/ a rest and one of my pills- thank you am fine now :) I wonder if they’re recalling MI governor, thought I read recently that was being considered.

• April 5, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Sherijr, (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Rest and Relax))))))))))))))))))))))))))) You have been through a lot of pressure trying to help make sure that our precious Hachiko is settle for now. Love you for your faithfulness. HZ

• 139 sherijr
            April 5, 2012 at 8:14 pm

oh (((((((((((HZ))))))))))))))) you are the best soul, thank you so much for your hugs.. I felt it all the way here :) I’m fine, no worries, really.

• 140 aquagranny911
          April 5, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Migraines suck the big cactus. I had them for years & then they mysteriously went away after the birth of my second child. Never had another one & don’t know why (knocking on wood here!!!) I think the MI stuff is a battle over the Gov & his merry henchmen trying to override the MI constitution & getting schooled by the legal beagles there. Don’t fret. Take some rest. You deserve some down time for all you did for our Hachiko/Marabout40.

If you are a drinking woman, have a good stiff one on me. If not, take a great relaxing bubble bath & have a quite evening with no more stress or distraction. Watch your favorite movie on DVD. I would recommend anything with Antonio Banderas but that is just me. Rest, Kiddo ♥

• 141 sherijr
            April 5, 2012 at 9:25 pm

oh you cracked me up aquagranny… not a drinking woman.. but only because I live alone w/ my child ;) and I do also appreciate some Antonio on occasion.. :) thanks for the chuckle and good wishes.. I really am just fine. My migraines appeared suddenly 6 yrs ago after being ill… I hope, like yours they disappear just as suddenly !

• 142 57andfemale
      April 5, 2012 at 7:55 pm

As a migraine sufferer, I completely sympathize. Feel better.

April 5, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Can someone Tweet this

Romney’s plan is ideal to SB 1070, and it SHOULD be because Romney’s immigration “adviser” is Kris Kobach the author of that racist,awful POS legislation. Here in AZ, we have many names for this, mostly it’s “Breathing While Brown”…DO NOT LET THIS MAN WALK BACK FROM THIS TERRIBLE,HATEFUL STANCE!!!! He needs to OWN THIS!

21. 149 vitaminlover
    April 5, 2012 at 7:35 pm

President Obama is sooooooo intelligent. During that short clip about Passover he flowed and spoke the Jewish(?) saying so eloquently without missing a beat. His depth of knowledge is so deep that we don’t even know everything this man can talk about. In the picture where he is signing the JOBS Act he looked great, so did the woman on the left, don’tknow who she is but she looks sincere enough.HOWEVER, I still want to see that smirk wiped off of Cantor’s rat face.This is why even when enemies and deceivers are near him they cannot and will not harm him. God has him. Romney may as well resign himself to being the sacraficial lamb for President Obama’s re-election. OBAMA/BIDEN 2012!!!! 4 MORE YEARS FOR44!!!!

April 5, 2012 at 7:35 pm

• April 5, 2012 at 7:53 pm

When PBO releases his tax returns this month, he should release the previous 10 years again, even if already did it in 2008. Hit this weasel hard.

• 155 globalcitizenlinda
        April 5, 2012 at 10:04 pm

hey BWD, please give that idea to the Obama Campaign Team . They can use that to challenge mitt th liar

• 156 57andfemale
      April 5, 2012 at 7:57 pm

then that becomes the story on its own, doesn’t it? Mitt said PBO wasn’t transparent enough? Then his own lack of transparency becomes the story.

• 158 jackiegrumbacher
      April 5, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I’ll bet Willard has spent his whole life wriggling through loopholes to avoid doing what he doesn’t want to do. That’s how he spend the Vietnam years in France while others fought, died or suffered through years of fear and uncertainty. He’s privileged you see, so he doesn’t have to follow the same rules the peasants do.

• 159 57andfemale
        April 5, 2012 at 10:40 pm

but….but…. Ann Romney said they ‘struggled’ early in their marriage to ‘make it’. They had to sell some of their investments and stuff to get started. It was such a struggle.

gee, most people I know who are just starting out don’t have the ‘burden’ of having to sell off some of their trust fund just to buy a new Cadillac.

She said that during some other campaign, this isn’t a recent quote. Although it certainly fits their mindset about how deficient we peasants are.

23. 160 Melanie
    April 5, 2012 at 7:48 pm

It is ON like Donkey Kong!!!

Why does Romeny have a Swiss bank account? #WhatsRomneyHiding— Jim Messina (@Messina2012) April 5, 2012

24. April 5, 2012 at 7:55 pm

#WhatsRomneyHiding is trending on twitter. For real for real.

25. April 5, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Hello everyone, I just want to say how thankful I am, to hear that Hachiko Is far better off now, than she was on last evening. Lord I thank you for hearing our prayers. I’m so happy that she has a place to stay, What a GREAt relief for her, whewwwwwwwwww. Hang In there Hachiko, I don’t know you, but that’s not Important, what’s Important, Is that you are a Human Being, and I feel your pain. I’m just waiting to hear how i can contribute, or make a donation. Take care everybody, later~~~~~~:-)

26. 173 lisalovesobama
    April 5, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Maxine Nastyweave is on Ed’s show. G—–ross!!!! :eek!:

27. April 5, 2012 at 8:10 pm

May I just take a moment to say something. I will be brief.

Chips: You are the most generous, intelligent, caring, full of compassion, and loving person in this arena that I have met. You make us feel so much of a loving family that is just beautiful. You give of yourself in such a beautiful spirit.

We want to say, “Thank you for allowing us to come to this lovely haven and share,, think, converse with respect and support for POB and each other.

You set the bar high, but with so much lovely class that there is NOT another place like this site, Chips. We are so grateful to be a part of this beautiful TOD Family who keeps giving and giving because we have such a beloved leader from the top.

Thank you Ms. Chipsticks. ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( You Live The Matt. 25 Life With Your Beautiful Soul and Gentle Spirit.))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Chipsticks, your chose the Most Fitting Name for this Wonderful Site, because you share with us daily
    Everything that Our Beautiful President, Barack Obama Ask of Us.

“I Am My Brother’s and Sister’s Keeper.”

We Love You, Ms. Chips!!
    Your TOD Family

• April 5, 2012 at 8:17 pm

You’re the kindest HZ. All I do is open the door and let the good folk in! Hope you’re doing well HZ and feeling stronger?

• April 5, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Love you back!!!! I am taking it with daily courage and feeling strong as I go through this journey. Thanks for asking, Chips. You are so special . Thanks for asking. Love you very much.HZ

• 178 carol in ky
      April 5, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I don’t often put my 2 cents worth in, but I totally agree HZ. Ms. Chipsticks, you rock!!

• 179 Bobfr
      April 5, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Totally agree with you HZ! Thank you for your lovely tribute to Chips for the community she has created and nurtured.

#PRESSON

April 5, 2012 at 8:32 pm

YEA!!!! HZ:) You said this perfectly…..HZ music!

April 5, 2012 at 8:55 pm

There’s no one who can say it better than HZ! – thanks HZ, for putting into words what we all feel so strongly :)

• April 5, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Let the church say A-frickin’-men! Thank you for putting up with all the nastiness you shield from us to keep this a safe, smart and loving place to be. You have the most deliciously wicked humor and glorious heart. We are all in your debt, dear lady. Thanks, Chips (most beautiful hostess ever).

• April 5, 2012 at 9:08 pm

See Tien Le, you made me blush. This is me —->

Every day is a pleasure hanging out with you guys, you make the sun shine! Love ya all. Thanks so much Tien.

• 184 PoliticalJunkessa
      April 5, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Amen. ((((((((((Chips)))))))))) ((((((((((HZ)))))))))

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• 185 Betsy
      April 5, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Amen HZ! Thanks so much Chips.

• 186 sherijr
      April 5, 2012 at 9:28 pm

yes indeed, we’re very lucky to have our Chips and this amazing site she created.

• April 5, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Okay, next person to say anything nice about me gets a 3D photo of a naked Newt Gingrich, a recording of Palin’s voice, and an image of Willard unzipped.

How are ya Sherjir?

• 188 globalcitizenlinda
          April 5, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Chips, you will never know how much you are appreciated,

Ps, I am not scared enough by the graphic newt – will take one for the TODTeam

• 189 sherijr
          April 5, 2012 at 10:48 pm

am great Chips, and you? I did email you a bit ago on instructions for sending funds.

• 190 mtmarilyn
      April 5, 2012 at 9:46 pm

This, this, this!!!!! HZ you say everything so lovely!!! It’s they way I feel too!!!!

• 191 jackiegrumbacher
      April 5, 2012 at 10:09 pm

HZ, you are always inspired to say the right thing at the right time. You often call other people good and beautiful in spirit because that’s exactly what you are. Thank you for the light you bring.

28. April 5, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Robney agrees with the President, we should let women into Augusta!
    What a Guy!

29. 195 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    April 5, 2012 at 8:34 pm

R.I.P. Mr. Noble

“As a journalist and television producer, Gil Noble worked to dispel negative images of African Americans in media. The notable host of the long-running public-affairs program Like It Is also pushed for clear ethics and objectivity in journalism. According to WABC-TV, he “passed away peacefully after a long illness,” this morning, at the age of 80. Noble had suffered a stroke in July 2011.”

more ———> http://www.theroot.com/views/journalist-gil-noble-it-passes-away?page=0,0

April 5, 2012 at 8:38 pm

How does this man’s head fit on his shoulders? Look at who the plaintiff is listed as….

• 201 Ladyhawke
      April 5, 2012 at 9:05 pm

And we can’t forget the ever popular fake equivalence nonsense.

“I think that there is often times the impulse to suggest that if the two parties are disagreeing, then they’re equally at fault and the truth lies somewhere in the middle, and an equivalence is presented — which reinforces I think people’s cynicism about Washington generally. So as all of you are doing your reporting, I think it’s important to remember that the positions I’m taking now on the budget and a host of other issues, if we had been having this discussion 20 years ago, or even 15 years ago, would have been considered squarely centrist positions. What’s changed is the center of the Republican Party.”

President Obama (April 3, 2012)

April 5, 2012 at 8:48 pm

opps…* Uh oh: New Romney adviser Ed Gillespie was a lobbyist on behalf of the federal individual mandate — yes, federal — before Obama embraced the idea. Does that mean he thinks it’s constitutional?

From Greg Sargent

• 203 57andfemale
      April 5, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I remember when the whiny left was pissed that PBO hired or nominated people from the Clinton Administration. Well, where the hell are you going to find people with executive experience except the people who worked in the last Democratic administration?

So the Republicans are going to be hard-pressed to find one single Republican with any experience over the age of 18 who wasn’t firmly behind a Federal individual mandate.

• April 5, 2012 at 9:08 pm

No! Because he hates the President.
      But, he does run GPS Crossroads, so maybe Jim Messina can use that against him!

32. April 5, 2012 at 8:51 pm

DUBAI (Reuters) – Foreign Minister Zalmay Rasool said on Thursday Afghanistan would not be used as a launch pad for U.S. drones attacks on neighboring countries after NATO combat forces leave by the end of 2014.

“Afghan soil will not be used against any country in the region,” Rasool told Al Jazeera television when asked if Washington would be allowed to launch drone strikes against Pakistan after the troops’ withdrawal.

U.S.-operated drones have repeatedly carried out deadly missile strikes against suspected al Qaeda targets in Pakistan.

“The presence of the remaining forces in Afghanistan is for training, equipping and securing Afghanistan’s security. It has been mentioned, it is going to be mentioned, that this force is not for use against any neighbors in the region,” Rasool told the Doha-based channel.

33. 207 Hachikō
    April 5, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Good evening, everyone. Just checking in to let you know that I am with Miss Pat in Harlem. A lovelier and kinder woman you could not hope to meet. You all are just the loveliest and kindest people. Tucker is also safely boarded just 18 blocks away. I can visit him everyday, while I’m here, and take him for his walks and run.

For those of you willing and able to help financially, please let Chip know and she will give you my information. I have a paypal account now, if that will be easier. I would post the email address, but it includes my full name. :(

As you can imagine, I’m exhausted. Don’t know how I’m still able to remain upright. I’m going to shower and try to get some sleep.

You guys have a lovely evening, and thank you all again for everything.

God bless.

April 5, 2012 at 9:03 pm

So glad that you are safe and in the good hands of MissPat. (Thank you, MissPat! for being a savior for Hachiko) Glad to hear that Tucker is safe and cared for and that you can visit and walk him and give him love and attention.

Be safe and well. You have a place to collect your thoughts and devise a plan. You are not invisible. We see you. We hear you. We love you, and you are important and special. Know that. Really, REALLY know that. Chips will be inundated, but it’s all good:) Night, sweet. Sleep like a baby.

• April 5, 2012 at 9:04 pm

You are amazing Hachiko…I am so glad you’ve landed safely. You are in my thoughts and I visualize you happy and well and on your way to your best life. Sleep well.

April 5, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Hachiko – thanks for the update! So glad to hear that you are safe with wonderful Ms. Pat and that Tucker is going to be okay while you both are still in NY. Hope you are able to get some restful sleep and I’m sending positive vibes your way for what will hopefully be an opportunity for a fresh start.

• 211 joybarbados
      April 5, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Dear Hachiko,

I am extremely glad to hear that you have settled in with Miss Pat. A sincere thanks to Miss Pat. Please get some rest and gather your thoughts. We are all looking out for you. Be good.

• April 5, 2012 at 9:13 pm

SOOOOOO happy to hear you have a roof over your head. That shower must feel good. I’m also glad you can see your dog.

• April 5, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Hachikō, so thrilled you’re warm and safe tonight, there are no words for Miss Pat’s kindness.

I’d be happy to pass on your PayPal details to anyone seeking them, just email me the info and I’ll reply to anyone who contacts me at theobamadiary@gmail.com.

Sleep well tonight, talk soon.

• 219 PoliticalJunkessa
      April 5, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Glad to hear from you. Stay well. Love to MissPat. ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• 220 taiping1
      April 5, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Can you post the PayPal link? That would be easiest.

• 221 sherijr
      April 5, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Oh Hachiko, I’m so happy you’re safe, at “home” and in good family hands. And pleased to know that you’re close to Tucker, you two have had a hard couple of days. Rest, take care.. take some deep breaths.. and thank you so much Miss Pat.

• April 5, 2012 at 10:14 pm

What a tremendous gift. Please take good care and know that we are all keeping you in our thoughts and pulling for you.

• 223 jackiegrumbacher
      April 5, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Hachiko, I hope you’ll give your mind and spirit the chance to rest before you exhaust yourself with more plans. Sometimes you just have to let it go for a while to get back your strength and energy and preserve your health. I truly believe that the worst is behind you now. You will get a direction and be able to put aside the fear. Bless you and Miss Pat for opening up her heart and home.

• 224 taiping1
      April 5, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Glad you are OK. Thank you Miss Pat! Tucker is beautiful, glad you can see him daily. I just lost my two dogs to cancer and old age last year so know how important it is to take advantage of the brief time we are allowed to share our lives with our companion animals. Unconditional love rejuvenates. Will send $ once I get the link from Chips.

• 225 Dudette
      April 6, 2012 at 8:25 am

I’m so happy to hear you and your baby, Tucker, are safe. Be well and be at peace. Miss Pat, you are one of God’s angels. Bless you.

34. April 5, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Bloomberg has the craziest article I have ever read-
    Why does the US build Roads if it cannot afford to fix them?

Oh, come on! The Richest Nation ever, and we are giving up? Really?

April 5, 2012 at 9:09 pm

So what is Rachel’s big story?

36. 249 Renegade522/AuntSis
    April 5, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Good Evening, Everyone.
    Happy Birthday, Joan. MissPat you are an angel. Chips I sent you an email. Hachikō get some rest…in the morning, everything will be alright.

Have you all seen this petition….

• 250 globalcitizenlinda
      April 6, 2012 at 7:32 am

that is one of the many stupid questions from the SCOTUS that bothered me – yes of course we EXPECT SCOTUS to READ ALL pages of the legislation. that is what you are paid to do

37. April 5, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Why does Face the Nation have on Cardinal Timothy Dolan this Sunday?
    Are they really going for round 2 on contraceptives? Are they Really?

April 5, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Are we there yet? 14 signs of fascism

• 254 Dudette
      April 6, 2012 at 8:28 am

I don’t see one thing on that list that doesn’t apply to current Republican ideology — not one.

39. April 5, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I get that this is probably totally off the wall, but this has been bugging me. Isn’t Mitt Romney an Elder in the Mormon Church? If a Catholic Bishop were running for President, the whole country would be up in arms about it. How, please tell me, is this any different?

• April 5, 2012 at 9:35 pm

A completely reasonable question, I would have thought. How strange it isn’t being asked…

April 5, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Stop being reasonable!!

• 260 Bobfr
      April 5, 2012 at 9:45 pm

So, let’s open this valuable insight of yours, Tien Le, to questioning minds ;)

#AmericaThisIsNotATest

#PRESSON

• 263 jackiegrumbacher
      April 5, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Tien, he does have a very senior position in the church. He used to be a bishop and has moved up the ladder. And yes, it is like a very senior level clergy in another religion was running for office. I doubt we would hear the end of a bishop or even monsignor running for office, or a rabbi or mullah. The WH is not going to talk about this, but that doesn’t mean we can’t. What he believes or doesn’t believe is, of course, his own business, but his level of leadership in his church should be. All JFK did was sit in a pew and he got nothing but grief.

• 264 taiping1
        April 5, 2012 at 11:24 pm

That’s why he can lie about everything since it is lying for the Lord in furtherance of having a church elder head of the US.

40. 265 Ladyhawke
    April 5, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Rachel’s scoop had better be good. This is the longest tease ever. Enough already, what’s up Rachel?

41. April 5, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Oh boy, I knew the GOP in Michigan was contemptible, but I didn’t know any of these details, this is just beyond belief. Democracy? ****ing hell.

• 273 0388jojothecat
      April 5, 2012 at 10:02 pm

It made me sick to my stomach that this is happening in America. I can’t believe people who decided to stay home to punish the President are thinking they’ve taught PBO a lesson or got his attention as someone once told me. I hope what they did, voting in these Republican, has gotten THEIR attention.

April 5, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Rachel was one of those people who were depressing the DEM vote back in 2010. While the PL was busy scrutinizing and attacking every last move of PBO, the GOP was busy planning their dirty tricks. Up to this date Chris Hayes will not take a segment to focus on voter suprpession but will spend half his show talking about the War in Afghanistan.

April 5, 2012 at 10:14 pm

• 276 57andfemale
      April 5, 2012 at 10:30 pm

When they actually lie about the number of votes for a bill, it’s a BFD. My impression was that they had used this stunt in all of the 96% (!) of all the bills passed since the wingnuts took over in January, 2011. An ‘emergency’ provision was used to make the laws effective immediately, requiring 2/3 of the legislature. But they just said it was 2/3 when it wasn’t 2/3. To be honest, I was flipping channels so I don’t know if it was all the bills but it definitely was the emergency manager bill. They just lied.

• 277 sabreen60
        April 5, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Absolutely!! It most definitely is a BFD and should not be dismissed out-of-hand. The action of the Michigan legislature is the most radical thus far in the nation.

• 278 Bobfr
      April 5, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Wonderful Eclectablog has been all over these issues for months … good it’s hitting ‘prime time’ ….

#AmericaThisIsNotATest

#LandslideOBAMA2012

#YesWeMust

• 279 Dudette
      April 6, 2012 at 8:31 am

OMG, I hope the DOJ is on this!

42. April 5, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Didn’t someone say earlier that Rachel was on with Jon Stewart and the two of them chuckled knowingly about how there is no difference between Democrats and Republicans? After her report on what’s going on in Michigan – never mind everything else – does she seriously believe that???

• 281 sabreen60
      April 5, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Chips, I have taken Rachel with a grain of salt for a long time. I’m not sure if the pundits on TV are playing a role as though they are in a movie or what. :roll:

• 282 globalcitizenlinda
      April 5, 2012 at 10:32 pm

it is who is paying their checks that matters

• 283 Bobfr
      April 5, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Simple question …

#AmericaThisIsNotATest

#LandslideOBAMA2012

#LandslideDEMS2012

#YesWeMust

• 284 EricFive
      April 5, 2012 at 11:03 pm

The “there is no difference between the parties” meme is common among the hipster liberal set. I heard Lewis Black say that in a horrible stand up special he had on Comedy Central shortly after President Obama was elected. It is startling b/c it would seem that both Stewart and Maddow are too intelligent to really believe that, but unfortunately, they seem to be Utopianist who are out of touch with the real world implications of right wing extremism. They know it on an intellectual level, but don’t FEEL its impact. Perhaps it is guilt from benefiting from the GOP’s tax policies (they are both firmly in the top 1%, let’s not forget). In the end, they are entertainers, first and foremost, so I too take what they say with a huge grain of salt.

43. 285 lisalovesobama
    April 5, 2012 at 10:01 pm

KERRI WASHINGTON’S SHOW ON NOW ON ABC!!! CALLED SCANDAL

• 286 Cha
      April 5, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Thanks, lisa~ I’ve been catching up on Ashely Judd’s “Missing” on Hulu and got to see PObama’s pic on the wall of the CIA’s office. Also, “The Good Wife” pans to a photo of the President in its show, too.

Another show I watch on Hulu is “Smash” and the latest one has Jerry going to a republicon fundraiser with his Gay boyfriend and he ends up leaving saying he likes his boyfriend but hates republicons. It was a thing of beauty!

• 287 Dudette
        April 6, 2012 at 8:36 am

Ha! In Scandal, when the group is voting whether to take on the guy as a client, one of the lawyers says she doesn’t want to take the case, because “he’s a Republican — I hate Republicans.”

• 288 Dudette
      April 6, 2012 at 8:32 am

I was hooked in the 1st fifteen minutes!

44. April 5, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Trending number 1, somebody is concerned!

• 290 theo67
      April 6, 2012 at 1:32 am

He’s toying with Romney like a cat with it’s prey. It’s fun! :)

I saw on twitter that the President is looking forward to the campaign, saying “it’s going to be fun. It’s always great to have the truth on your side”.

45. 291 symmetry11
    April 5, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Wonder why I can no longer retweet a tweet from here??

• 292 57andfemale
      April 5, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Make sure that the last tweet you retweeted closed properly. I have to minimize everything to see if it’s still hanging out there. That’s what happened to me when I couldn’t retweet something. They usually close automatically after retweeting, but sometimes you need to hit ‘close’.

• April 5, 2012 at 10:33 pm

sym, I just tried it and it worked for me.

April 5, 2012 at 10:18 pm

OH DEAR….Lawrence is going to announce some “Breaking Hunstman news” from Jon Hunstman’s daughter..which is “not what Romney wants to hear.”

Lehmme guess.that he’s switching his endorsement from Romney to Barack OBama?

• 299 lisalovesobama
      April 5, 2012 at 10:21 pm

i hope not. that backstabber can keep his bad luck to himself.

• 301 57andfemale
      April 5, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I’m betting it’s Americans Elect.

I don’t trust Huntsman. He’s no moderate — he’s as RWNJ as the rest of them and I don’t want any Republican to claim that PBO said something and use his position against the President.

The one Republican who has been a very pleasant surprise is Ray LaHood as Transportation Secretary. He’s from Illinois and was in the thick of the impeachment against Bill Clinton, but he is the one, lone Republican voice of sanity.

• 302 globalcitizenlinda
      April 5, 2012 at 10:36 pm

you are funny!

• 303 taiping1
      April 5, 2012 at 11:28 pm

She said the other day he would not be a surrogate in the campaign. It was on twitter.

• 304 amk for obama
      April 5, 2012 at 11:53 pm

So hf, what was the mind boggling, earth shattering, world changing “breaking news” ? Her daddy is running again ?

47. April 5, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Hi O’s. Extra late to the party, but still another great going to bed evening from the best getting up day today.

I heard on Rev Al’s National Action Network radio show that the AA leaders in Detroit wanted to let the Emergency Management kick in. The thinking is that they are close to getting enough signatures on petitions to repeal the Emergency Management policy on the ballot. Once that happens, they can abolish it and all of the cities in Michigan who are currently in under EM, will get their rights back. Had it not kicked in, via another piece of legislation that they had to vote on, then they would not be able to challenge it, or something. I’ve forgotten all of the details, but that was how he framed it.

• 306 Michele
      April 5, 2012 at 11:28 pm

I think in the report the Rethugs are pushing an emergency law to prevent challenges via a referendum….

48. 307 yardarm756
    April 5, 2012 at 10:25 pm

What is being done in MI is totally contemptible. The whole state should be taken over by the Feds.

• April 5, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I agree. Is that really possible? I know nothing about these things.

• 309 yardarm756
        April 6, 2012 at 12:04 am

I’m not sure but after watching RM something should be done. There’s no democracy left in MI. The governor should be put in prison.

• 310 theo67
      April 6, 2012 at 1:24 am

I wonder if the Michigan voters realized this was what they were voting for, and if they’ll remember that this is what they voted for when November comes calling. The fact is, the Republicans didn’t just take over the government, they were voted in. They were asked to govern. And just as we shout that President Obama should be allowed to govern because he was duly elected – well, these GOP were duly elected in 2010, either by people actually voting or abdicating their vote. These are the consequences.

If people don’t take these consequences seriously, and they don’t think about all the other crap that Republicans have done since they’ve been in power – like zero real jobs bills, 1100 anti-women bills, attempting to repeal Obamacare, trying to kill unions, firing millions of public workers from state governments, passed anti-immigrant bills… This is what people voted for. This is what Republicans are promising to do more of, if they win the White House or the Senate or keep the House. And they’re promising even more. They want to reinstate DADT. They want to repeal Dodd-Frank. They want to defund important departments. They want to drill in protected public lands and build a pipeline that has no route and will have the potential to do serious ecological harm. They want to start fresh wars, kill Medicare, defund social programs. And they ultimately want to hand your hard-earned tax dollars to millionaires and billionaires in the form of tax cuts. They’re not joking. They weren’t joking in 2010, and they’re not joking now.

49. 312 a4alice
    April 5, 2012 at 10:27 pm

just did a phone bank and got back why do you always remember the calls that are discouraging?? I don’t get that. OK I’ll get over that but what I’m thrilled about is that Hachiko is in a safe place and so is Tucker – yay! Thanks Miss Pat!

I’ll email yez chipster for the info. I guess I better go learn about paypal! :-)

• 313 sherijr
      April 5, 2012 at 10:37 pm

alice I’ve used paypal for a few years and never had any problems, its safe as far as I’ve experienced.. and really great for emergencies too.

• 314 a4alice
        April 5, 2012 at 10:44 pm

And may I say Sherijr – your consistent voice of support for Hachiko has been so heartening. Everyone of course has been so thoughtful but there was one point where you said something like “honey we’re your family” and tears just sprang into my eyes. I was so touched by your story of how you were helped and I could see how you were paying it forward.

Anyways it’s been a humbling experience watching care concern and love in action. thanks sherijr and everyone I was so glad to have been able to witness this.

50. 316 Desraye
    April 5, 2012 at 10:43 pm

The president looks tired and unshaving in the first video. Hope he gets some rest.

51. 317 57andfemale
    April 5, 2012 at 10:44 pm

My sincere thanks to Pat for opening her home to Hachiko — that is one of the most personally meaningful gestures I have ever witnessed. A special place in heaven is reserved for such a giving soul.

52. 321 57andfemale
    April 5, 2012 at 11:01 pm

I’m going to be catty as all hell — What the hell is up with Abby Huntsman’s MASCARA?!?!? Honey, you’re supposed to throw the tube out when it expired 3 years ago. When it’s the consistency of shoe polish, it shouldn’t go anywhere near your face.

Huntsman won’t be campaigning for Romney, but maybe he will or maybe he’ll be asked when they need ‘independents. Or something. it was all pretty unintelligible

Give me a sane reason why that little girl is all over the tee vee.

April 5, 2012 at 11:10 pm

LOL! I didn’t even watch the segment..I just overheard what they were saying from another room. She sounded very hyper to me..and as you said, she seemed to be saying just saying a whole lotta nothing. I read somewhere Huntsman is mad at John McCain for endorsing Willard in what he referred to as a “petty betrayal.” He felt betrayed especially after he endorsed McCain over Willard back in 2008, thereby alienating the Mormon population in Utah. There’s a lot of infighting and chaos in the GOP that the media is keeping under wraps. If it were the DEMS in this situation it would be all over the networks.

• 323 EricFive
        April 5, 2012 at 11:31 pm

I agree. “GOP in Disarray” or “Chaos Within the GOP” does not fit the MSM’s narrative. Imagine how this country could be if the MSM stopped carrying the GOP’s water.

• 324 57andfemale
        April 6, 2012 at 12:33 am

Aren’t we all weary to the bone of the pettiness of Republicans? Is there one — just one– Republican who has an ounce of decency or statesmanship? That 40% of the American people will vote without question for any one of these mean-spirited bastards for any office is unfathomable to me.

• April 5, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Bcause she is good looking and her grand daddy has a couple billion in the Bank!

• 326 theo67
      April 6, 2012 at 1:17 am

I had a similar catty call the other day when she was sporting some bubble-gum coloured lipstick, and I really couldn’t take anything she said seriously. She’s not 12. Although, a 12 year old might just have more sensible stuff to say.

53. 327 vitaminlover
    April 5, 2012 at 11:07 pm

We love you, Chips, yes we do. We love all the wonderful things you do. I love Chipsticks-yes I do. I love Miss Chipsticks-how about you?!

54. April 5, 2012 at 11:29 pm

The White House is highlighting how it has helped women gain economic security over the past three years — and how the GOP budget proposal would roll back the progress.

Deep cuts to Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security in Rep. Paul Ryan’s budget plan would be disproportionately harmful to women, senior administration officials said Thursday. About one-third of babies born in the U.S. are now delivered with Medicaid assistance and nearly 70 percent of Medicare beneficiaries over the age of 85 are women.

The GOP proposal to slash discretionary spending would also negatively impact other federal programs that benefit women, including support for housing, education and domestic violence shelters, according to one official.

55. 332 carolyn
    April 5, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Late getting here,but SO glad to hear Hachiko will be staying with Miss Pat and Tucker has his own place close to Hachiko. All of us on this blog are concerned with and care for our pets. They do matter! As Japa said, this group truly is a family….we know we are our brothers and sisters keepers. Amazing how much we care about each other, just through our writing.
    Also, late again, but Happy Birthday Joan. I thought I was perhaps the “oldest” chronologically on this group, but I know I’m not, but I know that you are thankful for every day you live. We are so fortunate to be living in the Age of Obama! We waited a long time for this.
    Sleep well Hachiko, get some deep down rest and renewal. Thank you Miss Pat for taking her into your home.

56. April 6, 2012 at 12:02 am

Yes, We Do!!! I am just so full tonight. Just thinking, last evening we were worried, so concerned, and a little scared about our Hachiko. Chips allowed us all to come together, and now look where our “Beautiful and Collective Good Engeries Brought Us.” A Divine Power greater than all of us, but inside of each of us was summoned within our hearts, and tonight, Hachiko is resting peacefully with an Angel, Miss Pat(and believe me, she is an Angel) Miss Pat was placed in Hachiko’s path, and with the quickness and goodness of Chipsticks and Miss Pat and all of us,, we can rest peacefully tonight.

I do believe, prayers, faith in each other, a diviness of goodness towards another human being, our Christian faith, each person’s own private spiritual love of beliefs, and powerful prayers ,and good deep meditations of goodness for another brother or sister brought joy in this morning. Look what we experienced this morning.

I am tired, and we all are after staying up until we could not stay awake(some even stayed up) but I am not worried tonight, because Miss Pat opened up her home with so much kindness and warmth, and Hachiko can sleep safely tonight. And Tucker is safe and near by as well. TOD Family, we are so blessed.

So, I am going to take my meds, put another candle on and my music, and cry with joy of thanksgiving and appreciation for my TOD Family and God’s Power tonight. I love you Chips and each one of my TOD Family members here tonight. You all give me so much hope, joy, and courage to believe in the better angel of our hearts and souls, and so much love to carry me to the next situation. Thank you so much.

Our next step is to ask for wisdom to get finances to Hachiko as we are able to do so. I had faith last night, and I still have faith that we are going to see her through all of this. This is what Chips was thinking about, I believe when she created this space: carrying out the true meaning of “Believe In Hope,” “Yes We Can.” ” Having the Audacity To Do the Unthinkable.” and “Being our Brothers and Sisters Keepers., and all the while lifting up and supporting and standing with our wonderful President.” These are our Values, Mr. Romney. This is who we are, Mr. Romney. Thank you, Mr. President , Barack Obama. We are The Obama Diary, and boy do we have Entries to Share with the World.

Good Night, my sweet family, and Miss Pat, you are a beautiful soul. (((((((((((((((((( To The Obama Diary Family))))))))))))))))))))))))HZ

57. 336 sabreen60
    April 6, 2012 at 12:16 am

• April 6, 2012 at 12:35 am

Also behind the union bashing and public-service worker bashing in Wisconsin and throughout the U.S. – wherever Republican governors took over.

April 6, 2012 at 12:52 am

ALEC needs to be neutered. FOREVER. If the corps.abandon them, as they seem to be doing now…there will be now reason for legislators to stick with them….at least that’s the rational I heard from the TV tonight:) I hope that’s right. They have bought and paid for nearly ALL the Republican elected legislators…from the Fed. level to the local level.They need to be exposed, and they need be GO!
      Pepsi, Coke,Kraft Foods….who’s next? We need to put pressure on….

• 341 Walking_on_ Sunshine
      April 6, 2012 at 1:34 am

Wow! I’m so happy that these companies are abandoning ALEC. When I first read about ALEC I must admit I felt pretty hopeless in the face of so much combined power. Sometimes things work out better than I dared to hope.

58. April 6, 2012 at 12:23 am

Offshore drilling fees are financing the purchase of $41.6 million worth of new national forest lands in 15 states.

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said Thursday the 28 different purchases from North Carolina to Oregon will protect clean water and fish and wildlife habitat, absorb private inholdings within wilderness areas, and support outdoor recreation spending that contributes $14.5 billion annually to the economy.

The purchases from willing sellers represent about 20,000 acres, which were chosen from 68 applications.

The money comes from the Land and Water Conservation Fund, created in 1964. Congress taps mitigation fees paid by companies drilling for offshore oil and gas to finance the fund year to year. The fund is capped at $900 million a year. Other federal agencies also use it.

59. 345 theo67
    April 6, 2012 at 1:37 am

Krystal Ball was excellent this morning on Martin Bashir’s show – she rattled off statistics showing the war on women is real. I really like her as a pundit – she’s passionate, informed, articulate.

• 346 Michele
      April 6, 2012 at 5:01 am

Please start tweeting this ALEC crap out tomorrow.. This entire country needs to know about ALEC just like we knew all the sponsors of rush limbaugh..

FAN OUT, FAN OUT………. Trust me that ALEC has something to do with radical laws in Michigan that Rachael Maddow covered last night…

April 6, 2012 at 1:44 am

61. 348 Walking_on_ Sunshine
    April 6, 2012 at 2:01 am

So glad that Hachikō and her puppy are safe for the night. How kind and caring you all are. Will send some $ when I get paypal details. Goodnight. Sweet dreams.

62. 349 purpleshoesla
    April 6, 2012 at 2:03 am

Wow, step away for a day or so and one misses so much! Really moved by the outpouring of kindness, love and support shown by everyone here to Haichiko (sp?). You all are FIERCE! Really humbled by it all. Thank you for re-igniting my faith in the goodness of people. So glad I stumbled upon this blog last fall. Ms. Chips I sent you an email asking for the contact info so I can do my little part to help Haichiko.

Peace and blessings y’all.. *off to my corner to weep*

63. 350 Bobfr
    April 6, 2012 at 2:29 am

If Only … I will never forget that afternoon in San Antonio Texas as I was on my way to my sisters to school to bring them home and heard over the car radio of the horror that Dr King had been assassinated.

Later that evening, in the most horrible confrontation with my father, ever, though it had been building for years, I left a family dinner and from that moment on would never be able to comprehend, as a white male of a mixed immigrant, paternal first generation Italian and maternal gene pool that include Charles Carroll of Carrollton, signatory of the Declaration of Independence, the raw hate of a man who represented the essence of the Promise of America – just because he was BLACK.

Why to post this comment now?

Well, it’s really simple ———— #AmericaThisIsNotATest

6 Nov 2012 is the MOST IMPORTANT date in the history of the Republic since 1776 – NO JOKE; no hyperbole.

#PRESSON

64. 351 Betsy
    April 6, 2012 at 2:32 am

Just watched a very derogatory segment on the Daily Show regarding the GSA debacle, without any balance showing what PBO did to address the situation. He even had Bill O’Reilly on. It was disturbing and NOT funny; even the audience wasn’t really laughing. When is Jon Stewart going to realize he’s losing his audience?

• April 6, 2012 at 7:58 am

You know when Jon Stewart highlights, makes the Bill oreily Show or Morning Joe, that he is going after the fixed news audience.
      My friend is a conservative, and loves Jon Stewart.
      Their you go!

• 353 Dudette
        April 6, 2012 at 8:52 am

I kept waiting for him to say what PBO did to address it too. Then, as you say, it hit me, he must be trying to attract Faux News viewers. I’m done with him. Will stick with Colbert and Key & Peele — the only two things on Comedy Central worth watching in my opinion.

• 354 jackiegrumbacher
      April 6, 2012 at 8:53 am

This is why Colbert wins the Peabody and Steward loses viewers. I quit watching him in 2008.

• 355 Betsy
        April 6, 2012 at 10:59 am

I don’t watch him much anymore, but was curious to see it again as he used to be so fabulous. Ever since PBO was elected, he began to change. I think he believed his own hype, and now he’s on a downward slide. So sad. I love Colbert. His satire is truly funny.

65. 356 Betsy
    April 6, 2012 at 2:40 am

This is so funny:

66. April 6, 2012 at 7:54 am

NEW YORK – The Obama re-election campaign tonight is seizing on a report that suggests Mitt Romney is using ethics exceptions to avoid disclosing some of his financial investments. Obama’s team has gone as far as using the president’s Twitter handle to lob attacks on the GOP candidate.

The account linked to the president’s name tweeted a link to the report, published by the Washington Post, that said that Romney has “taken advantage of an obscure exception in federal ethics laws to avoid disclosing the nature and extent of his holdings.”

“By offering a limited description of his assets, Romney has made it difficult to know precisely where his money is invested, whether it is offshore or in controversial companies,” the article said.

In addition, the Post reported that in 48 accounts from Bain Capital, the firm Romney founded in Boston and touts daily on the trail, he did not reveal his assets.

67. April 6, 2012 at 8:14 am

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The Obama administration’s man in charge of squeezing Tehran over its nuclear program is unapologetic for the difficulties faced by banks in their dealings with Iran since the U.S. tightened sanctions against the country.

Companies that trade with Iran are struggling to get paid and the biggest Asian countries are scrambling to work around U.S. sanctions that aim to deprive Tehran of revenue needed to develop its nuclear program. “I don’t feel apologetic about it because that is the consequence of these banks in Iran willingly facilitating transactions for Iran’s nuclear programs,” said David Cohen, undersecretary for terrorism and financial intelligence at the U.S. Treasury Department.

“If they are going to do that, they shouldn’t be accessible to the international financial system. They shouldn’t be financial institutions that any reputable bank wants to deal with,” Cohen said in an interview.

68. April 6, 2012 at 8:18 am

Where is everybody this Morning? Place is like a Ghost Town. See all the Tumble weeds?

69. April 6, 2012 at 8:31 am

120k jobs created UE rate ticks down to 8.2%.

Not that great! Meh!

70. April 6, 2012 at 8:32 am

US economy added 120,000 jobs in March; unemployment rate falls to 8.2% – @wsjbreakingnews

WOOOOOT!!

71. 379 collegekay
    April 6, 2012 at 8:33 am

Unemployment down to 8.2% pay rolls up 120,000

72. 380 collegekay
    April 6, 2012 at 8:34 am

I was expecting 200,000+ jobs again. meh.

But progress is progress. I suspect its because of the states laying off public sector workers.

• April 6, 2012 at 8:38 am

No. The retail sector was terrible, brought down the number greatly.
      This was a bad report.
      Lousy way to start a Morning!

• 382 donna dem 4 obama
        April 6, 2012 at 8:44 am

Lawd Have Mercy Jovie!

This was not a BAD Report as you put it. A “Bad Report” would have been job loss and an increase in the UE report. You seem to buy into the Pundits talking points way too easy for me.

April 6, 2012 at 8:51 am

Jovie you’re being ridiculous. Just ask those 120K people who were unemployed but now have a job how “lousy” they feel this morning. The number was below expectations, but from my experience with these job reports, will probably be revised upwards next month. I’ve seen this movie before, and I’m not about to get caught up in any hysteria over each and every jobs report that doesn’t match expectations.

• April 6, 2012 at 8:54 am

I am just reporting the internals, people are leaving the workforce.
          You can yell at me all you want, it’s not my fault!
          Same old same old.

I am out of here for a while.

April 6, 2012 at 8:59 am

So why didn’t you mention that manufacturing was up by 37000? Because it doesn’t fit the narrative that you want to stick to. That’s why. You’re basing your doom and gloom theory based on a single report. One month doesn’t a trend make.

• April 6, 2012 at 8:52 am

We’re at a THREE YEAR LOW!!

• April 6, 2012 at 8:40 am

Government jobs -> postal workers.

• April 6, 2012 at 8:45 am

Not yet. That will be next month, if no deal struck.
        What kills me is the amount of people dropping out of workforce.
        Maybe the FED should do more QE, because for some reason something is keeping these numbers down!

• 394 donna dem 4 obama
      April 6, 2012 at 8:41 am

Good Morning CK!

No we only loss 1000 jobs in the public sector last month. It was retail businesses that laid off 30,000 workers. This makes no sense because yesterday the report came out that retail business was up.

I’ll take any dip in the UE rate but of course I’m sure the press will harp on “not meeting expectations of 200K” this month.

At least we are creating jobs and now its something like 25 or 26 months of private sector job creation.

April 6, 2012 at 8:45 am

Talk about a negative spin WSJ – Job Growth Loses Steam [I am not surprised, just noting that they could have chosen to highlight the positive ]

Jobs outside of agriculture grew by 120,000 last month—half the number that the economy added the prior month—the Labor Department said Friday. It was the first time since November that job growth fell below 200,000.

…..
    The UNEMPLOYMENT RATE, obtained by a separate survey of U.S. households, TICKED DOWN A TENTH of a percentage point to 8.2%, but the drop resulted in part from …yada, yada

• 397 jackiegrumbacher
      April 6, 2012 at 8:48 am

They can’t help themselves VC. Negative news is good for Republicans and the WSJ is as R as it gets. Haven’t read it in ten years.

April 6, 2012 at 9:16 am

JG, I’m slowly learning which news sources are definitively Repub versus those that are ‘mainstream’ Repub. ;) But I just read this article and thought, it’s the people in the media who truly care about the country who try to lift spirits instead of continuously depressing them.

74. 399 collegekay
    April 6, 2012 at 8:45 am

We have to remember there will be ups and downs with the numbers but the fact is we’re on a positive trend.

April 6, 2012 at 8:48 am

Exactly – I recall PBO himself cautioning last month that there will be months where job growth will be much less than other months, but the overall trend is what we need to look at. You can’t take one month of modest job growth after 3 months of relatively strong growth and start panicking as thought the sky is falling. That’s EXACTLY the reaction the media wants – and will push in order to drive down PBO’s numbers and boost Romney.

April 6, 2012 at 9:33 am

hopefruit2, I agree with you all the way. If anyone listen to President Obama speak, he always say that we are not out of the woods yet. Things are getting better, but we will have good months and bad ones, but he will continue to work to do all he can to see to it that everyone who wants a job can find one. I am kind of getting alittle tired of all this predicting of what the jobs numbers is going to be. Best thing is to wait and see, instead of listening to folks predicting and they come out wrong.

April 6, 2012 at 9:35 am

And then the rest of the day all we hear is doom and gloom from some people.

April 6, 2012 at 9:37 am

We didn’t get into this mess overnight and we won’t get out of it overnight. We are heading in the right direction, and we need to continue heading there.

75. April 6, 2012 at 8:50 am

I guess what I find hopeful is there were +37,000 jobs in manufacturing.

76. 405 Melanie
    April 6, 2012 at 8:53 am

For anyone who wants to comb over the numbers in detail…

77. April 6, 2012 at 8:56 am

120,000 people who didnt have jobs in February obtained work in March (praise God!!). Now these people have money with which to keep a roof over their heads, pay their electric bills, and otherwise provide for their families. Like someone said, there will be ups and downs. There has been continued steady progress and I have faith things will continue to get better.

• 409 Don
      April 6, 2012 at 9:10 am

Thank you carolrptr, people act as though 1200,000 new jobs is something to sneeze at. Sometimes we need to step back and take a look around, the problems we have took eight longs years develop, and it’s going to take some time to fix them.

78. 411 Dudette
    April 6, 2012 at 9:06 am

It seems there’s some push back on The President’s World Bank pick:

World Bank job should go to Okonjo-Iweala, say ex-staff

A group of former World Bank officials has written a letter backing Nigeria’s Finance Minister, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, to be its next president. Traditionally the post is given to the candidate put forward by the US, which this time is Dr Jim Yong Kim.

But in an open letter, 35 former economists and managers said the Bank should choose the next chief on merit. Another group of economists this week signed a petition backing Colombia’s Jose Antonio Ocampo. This is the first time the World Bank has had to choose between candidates since its creation more than 60 years ago.

The executive board of the Bank has to choose between Mrs Okonjo-Iweala, a former World Bank managing director, Jose Antonio Ocampo, a former finance minister of Colombia, and Jim Yong Kim, a public health expert and president of Dartmouth College in the US. The Bank is holding interviews next week and plans to select the successor to outgoing president Robert Zoellick by 20 April, when it starts its spring meetings with the IMF… [more in the article]

79. April 6, 2012 at 9:12 am

OK, WHAT THE FUCK!? Seriously, Jovie? You are going off on these numbers worse than those goddamn looney beatniks I used to fight over on DailyKos. No wonder liberals keep losing shit, the media and Republicans see this report, yell out no good, and then you cry like a little girl who didn’t get to see Justin Bieber. I’m sorry, but we have the most hypocritical, bland, half dead fool running against us thats more stiff than a grizzly bears dick after hibernation which would make shit go back to the way it was if he ever got enough states to push him over the mark. I am in fighting mode right now. If your not satisfied with the job numbers, you better do what I’m doing, get on the phone and call congress. Otherwise, get in the fight now, discredit the other side, and for Christs sake, stop pissing in. Don’t do the GOP’s work for them.

• 413 LunarSea
      April 6, 2012 at 9:25 am

Morning all and thank you, needed to be said

Got a quick minute at work to check in and was really rather put out by the tone of this mornings posting. Lately these reports are always revised upward in favor of growth. Why people like to be led around, more like whipped around, by the gop talking heads beats me.

Charlie Brown is still being fooled by Lucy moving the ball.

April 6, 2012 at 9:43 am

Right On anotherslyfox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The numbers weren’t great, they weren’t horrible, it ain’t over. The sky is not falling. Stop the doom and gloom talk , please.

80. 415 Pamela
    April 6, 2012 at 9:53 am

Full moon today, 12:19pm/pdt, 17Libra23. Nice.

RSS OFA