Apr

rise and shine

Own up, which one of you wrote this for El Universal?

Eh, with thanks to Google Translate……

Obama, The Man of the Summit

El Universal: If those in the Gethsemane audience could vote in the upcoming U.S. presidential election, President Barack Obama would surely get plenty of votes….

… thunderous applause greeted the president when he made his entrance to the auditorium … which hosted the opening ceremony of the Sixth Summit of the Americas.

Obama has shown in Cartagena what we already knew: that he is a very charismatic person…. elegant…

…. walking down the red carpet to the Convention Center … Barack Obama, the “man of the Summit”, wore a white shirt, trousers and brown shoes and black jacket. In the lapel of his jacket he wore a pin with the flag of his country and the gray in his hair shone in the Cartagena sun….

This style and his permanent real smile make him a very charismatic man and even … attractive.

:cool:

Morning everyone ;-) I’ll be back later today – chat away.

274 Responses to “rise and shine”

1. 1 pinkbunny92
    April 15, 2012 at 7:20 am

Good mornning TOD community & chips!!

I’m first! Yes, it is my day is complete! LOL :-)

2. 6 collegekay
    April 15, 2012 at 7:21 am

Good morning!!^_^

3. 7 pinkbunny92
    April 15, 2012 at 7:22 am

Yes my mind control machine worked its microwave technology on the editors of El Universal! Hahaha!!

4. 9 collegekay
    April 15, 2012 at 7:22 am

Oooo I agree w/ whoever wrote that article. PBO was looking extra sexy yesterday.

5. 20 pinkbunny92
    April 15, 2012 at 7:26 am

I got an email inviting me to that special dinner hosted by George Clooney for President Obama! But the price was $ 40,000! I contemplated going for 10 minutes, if I lived on PB & J for the rest of my life :-)

But then sanity set in!! LOL :-D

• April 15, 2012 at 7:31 am

Hey pb, I wonder if a humongous group of us TODers can go in together on one ticket. We can each have 2 minutes shifts at the party. You can have the first 2 minutes.

Hope you are having a nice, relaxing weekend!!

• 28 jackiegrumbacher
      April 15, 2012 at 7:58 am

Lucky you! Frame the invitation!

April 15, 2012 at 10:29 am

pinkbunny92, get yourself ready to go, I’ll take care of the tab. It’s on me. I wish. Forgive me pb92, I have been listening to Mitt and Ann Romney to much, that I’m finding it so easy to lie.

April 15, 2012 at 10:31 am

When George Clooney have a fundraiser and the price is $5 or $10 dollars, you can count on me. No lie. :)

• 31 pinkbunny92
        April 15, 2012 at 10:40 am

Hahaha!! :-D Yes- Romney is a liar! We need to listen to President Obama to vaccinate ourselves against lies!

• 32 Mel
          April 15, 2012 at 10:58 am

How DISINGENUOS Mitt Romney is?, Well in january Mitt said “Mooms need Dignity of Work’ to
          get federal Assisstance This is head lines on HP check it out including tape.
          Yes PBO es El Homre de la Cumbre, but to me PBO es El Hombre del Mundo he is the gretest.

• 33 carla4obama
            April 15, 2012 at 11:43 am

Mitt said that? WOW…why is that not in the wires, do you have a link to these words of his. I want to do something with them!

6. 34 proudmemberofglobalzero
    April 15, 2012 at 7:34 am

Chips, thank you for all your posts. If it was not for you , the TOD family, and all your research, we would only know that SS can’t keep it in their pants. Off to work.

Have an “O” Day.
    Peace and Love,
    Sue

• April 15, 2012 at 7:41 am

“…..we would only know that SS can’t keep it in their pants.”

:-) Thanks Proud, have a great day.

• April 15, 2012 at 7:49 am

Oh, and I am a little mad at the SS! Just saying!

• 37 ChristiMTL
          April 15, 2012 at 8:13 am

It’s very unprofessional…

• 38 miss pat
          April 15, 2012 at 8:20 am

Good morning to you all. Me too folks. Now even the Daily News yesterday had to include the President in the headline about this non-news. They went there to prepare for the visit and couldn’t just do without till the come back home? As my mother used to say, “It look bad.”

• 39 utaustinliberal
        April 15, 2012 at 8:07 am

Morning Chips. You’ve been fantastic in coverage of Pres. Obama during his trip to Colombia for the CEO Summit of the Americas. The only thing I’ve heard on the news is the SS scandal. CNN, MSNBC, ABC (GMA Weekend) have been covering this story ad nauseam. It’s reprehensible to think that without this scandal, informed and uninformed voters would not know that Pres. Obama was in Colombia and that under him, U.S. export to Latin America has increased by 46%. This is why I will never agree with anyone when they say that PBO and his WH and campaign team fumble on messaging of any issue. The media blackout is insane. Every national media outlet hasn’t reported on anything else except the SS scandal. I commend my local stations for doing better than the MSM. It feels like PBO is constantly fighting against the hurricane, tornado, and hailstorm that is the msm. It feels like they have a vested interest in making sure he loses. Another reason I want PBO to win and will be working my ass off is so that it can be shoved in the faces of these cretins that call themselves journalists and it will be an even sweeter win, because PBO will have won despite the obstacle that is the msm.

April 15, 2012 at 8:12 am

” It feels like they have a vested interest in making sure he loses.”

They absolutely have a vested interest in the outcome of the 2012 election. This is not just a “ratings” ploy as some people have stated. It’s way deeper than that. Even the so-called liberal punditry will have nothing to lose under a Romney Presidency but possibly something to gain – I’m not quite sure what it is other than they get to keep their Bush tax cuts most likely.

• April 15, 2012 at 8:15 am

And they get to Report on the loss if the first AA President and where did he go wrong blah blah blah!
            Book after Book would be written.
            Journalism, not so much!

• 42 sherijr
            April 15, 2012 at 11:06 am

Absolutely.. they have a vested interest.. its about $, its about the status quo staying right where it’s always been, in the pockets of the white males of this country. Impartiality, information and reason no longer exist within the journalism profession- not when it gets to the national/corporate level.

April 15, 2012 at 11:37 am

‘something to gain – I’m not quite sure what it is ‘

I would wager some of it might be the unending hot news a GOP leadership would provide. Let’s face it, the GOP are not leaders, and given the state of the economy and their dumb solution they’re bound to mess up the works further, thereby providing unending ‘news’. Also, on a ‘fair and balanced’ scale they generate more sexual intrigues so added ‘news’ for the MSM. PBO’s reign has been ‘too tame’ as scandals go, so when they smell something they have to pump it up for all they’re worth, matters not if it has nothing to do with his leadership. They. are. so. pathetic. and embarrassing to the country.

I doubt they’d read what I have to say, but i sent a little reminder anyway.

• April 15, 2012 at 8:13 am

It truly is Us against Them!

• 45 ChristiMTL
          April 15, 2012 at 8:14 am

THIS

It feels like they have a vested interest in making sure he loses.

• 46 jackiegrumbacher
          April 15, 2012 at 8:15 am

Yes, the press is not only useless, it’s destructive. Information makes people powerful and we can’t have that in the good old US of A. I would guess, though, that a whole lot of Hispanic Americans have heard about this trip and know exactly the impact PBO is having and that will solidify the president’s commanding lead among Hispanics. It made me laugh to think that Willard is going to trot out GW Bush to shore up his support among Hispanics. Is he insane? He’s lost that fight. It’s over. Done. Our job is to make sure that every Hispanic American that can vote, does and that they press the button for PBO.

• 47 0388jojothecat
          April 15, 2012 at 10:02 am

I don’t bother looking at the so-called news…THE OBAMA DIARY is where I get ALL my NEWS! Thank you Chipsticks and everyone who contributes as to what our President is doing FOR ALL OF US! The World community appreciates him more than half of his own country. I am so proud of our President and so is the rest of the world.

April 15, 2012 at 10:38 am

If it wasn’t for the SS scandal the sorry ass media wouldn’t mention that POTUS was overseas. But they will sit there minute after minute and talk about the new and wonderful champion of stay at home Moms. I say if Ann Romney is the champion of the stay at home moms, it’s the 1% stay at home Moms, the filthy rich stay at home Moms.

• April 15, 2012 at 7:47 am

This is so true, sadly!

• 50 ChristiMTL
      April 15, 2012 at 8:19 am

I feel the same way, if it wasn’t for Chips, I don’t know where the heck I would get all this information, it sure not from the pathetic MSM

7. 51 Bill
    April 15, 2012 at 7:41 am

Chris Hayes is going to show in his 8:00 hour a clip of Willard saying in January that women who stay at home to raise their children should be given federal assistance for child care so that they can enter the job market and “have the dignity of work”. This should do the phoney in.

• 52 Ladyhawke
      April 15, 2012 at 8:00 am

Thanks for the heads up Bill. The Romney campaign latched onto the Hilary Rosen comments out of sheer desperation. But it sounds like this clip is going to bite them in the arse. They may wish they never went down this road. Romney a filp flopping pathological liar. His entire campaign is built on falsehoods. Dishonesty is the thread that runs through everything this man does.

• 53 ChristiMTL
        April 15, 2012 at 8:07 am

Oh yes, their pathetic ”war on moms”….I read the other threads this morning and one TODer wrote ”war on 1% moms”…it’s more like it.

• 54 jackiegrumbacher
      April 15, 2012 at 8:07 am

This clip would have to go viral and be used in an ad. I think we should insist he put federal assistance for child care into the Republican platform and see how popular that is with the delegates. Then he can explain to all of us how he’s a small government, severely conservative guy who wants to increase federal support of families so he can put women back to work where they will not receive equal or contraceptives so they can increase their families and double and triple government aid. And around and around he goes twisting into a tighter and tighter knot.

• 55 lovingandlaughing
      April 15, 2012 at 8:10 am

Interesting Romney soundbite. I wonder if it will put this topic to rest? I think Hilary R’s whole point was that Ann should not be Romney’s advisor on women’s issues because she is not qualified. That fact remains. I actually have stayed home with my three babies/children and my last baby is now nearing 2.5 years so it won’t be too long before he is in preschool or kindergarten. I’m not sure what I will do then. I’m not interested in going back into teaching which is what I did before my husband and I had our own kids. Let me say, being a stay at home mom without nannies and maids is certainly work and I have “the dignity of work.” Following this issue has been interesting for me because I’m like “hey, I’m a stay at home mom, but the is no way in heck I’ll believe the Romney spin that team Obama is against stay at home moms and there is no way I’d ever, ever, ever, ever, ever vote for Romney!”

April 15, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Morning! OMG! I slept until 9:30 this morning and feel like half my day is already gone! Mom Marilyn’s lunch must’ve worn me out yesterday:)

Interesting rationale from Romney….or should I say Irrational….I think it’s about choices. Women in the middle class HAVE NO choices, they HAVE to work to make ends meet in their families. Long gone are the day’s of the man being the breadwinner while the woman stays home to tend to the kids and the house. That’s a 1950’s mentality, which is probably where his head is. Stuck in the past.The Romney’s have always had the luxury of not having to ever worry about such things. They always had tons of money and hired help. If Ann raised the kids without nannies, great…but they still had help for everything else they did. I never had a maid, gardners, chauffeurs,and the like.When my kids were small, I never had “alone time”…24/7 I went until I dropped.Doubtful she had that problem, but she had choices that mom’s today DON’T have.That federal assistance idea is going to explode in his face, BIG TIME, so if he wants to go there, let him! Small govt, my dying ass…Ann Romney should be the LAST person to lecture women about this, and I bet dollars to donuts that women are going to see these statements from her and see them as condesending and out of touch.

Jackie’s right, the circle of dependence will go round and round. He doesn’t want to empower women, he wants to enslave them.

April 15, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I might also add, that maybe women that choose to stay at home and raise their children, and if that is truly seen as REAL WORK, then maybe they should get the benefits of Social Security and the rest…..

• 58 theo67
          April 15, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Well, Ann did say in 1994 that her and Mitt came across hard times when they were in college and were forced to sell stocks to get by! They couldn’t even entertain!! My heart went out to them. They’ve known suffering. I mean, when you have to sell stocks at college and give up entertaining (instead of getting a job) then you’ve suffered. They’re so relatable….

April 15, 2012 at 7:42 am

Goodmorning everyone! Congrats Pinkbunny on #1 :)

This el Universal article is the reason why the American media blacks out our President’s overseas visits or only focuses on what they perceive to be “scandals.” Because if they focus on the substance of the visit the majority of viewers would take away the exact impression of our President as the author did. And in an election year, the Romney-bot MSM can’t have that.

• April 15, 2012 at 7:50 am

True- Hopefruit!
      Good morning.

• April 15, 2012 at 7:57 am

How about those headlines from Reuters and Politico? Scandal mars Obamas trip!
      You can just see the writers smiling, as they type their story!

• 62 pinkbunny92
        April 15, 2012 at 8:00 am

The MSM are jackals & vultures!!! Journalism isn’t a dignified profession in the area of cable news! They don’t care about the truth! Only scandal, gossip, & the OMG moments!

• 64 0388jojothecat
        April 15, 2012 at 10:18 am

The only scandel is our MSM refuses to report on ANY of our Presidents’ successful trips overseas. They only want to ignore any good press about this President.

• April 15, 2012 at 12:44 pm

God forbid they show how popular our president is overseas. How many Americans line up with signs and paintings to greet foreign leaders?

9. 66 lisalovesobama
    April 15, 2012 at 7:45 am

Morning! So glad PBO is getting his due in Columbia! American media sux.

• April 15, 2012 at 7:52 am

A good example- Chris Hayes and MHP might mention the SS Partay, but will not discuss or show any highlights of the Trip.
      That is the Producers.
      Only Rev Al can say what he wants and it’s refreshing!

• April 15, 2012 at 9:21 am

I don;t buy that. Hayes and MHP have a huge say in what goes on their show. Don’t put their name in the show’s title and then say they’re powerless to control the content except for an occasional bone tthe producers throw their way.

• 69 lmrj
          April 15, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I worked in TV for 20+ years. Actually in the case of MHP and CH, the producers are the ones at fault. The talent may have their name on the show, but unless they have THE NAME to draw an audience already (which equals ratings & advertising $$$), they have no real power. Rev Al already has a name. So does Lawrence, Martin, Morning “smoe”, Mrs. Greenspan, Rachel, Ed and for some unknown reason Tweety. You can point to them more for show content than MHP and CH (newbies to having their own shows, thus, no real power).

10. 70 Linda
    April 15, 2012 at 7:55 am

Good Morning.

o/t

Any book TV fans here ? Today at 8 :45 AM … I watched last night…..

“Cheating Justice: How Bush and Cheney Attacked The Rule of Law and Plotted to Avoid Prosecution – And What We Can Do About It”

Former Congresswoman Elizabeth Holtzman argues that former President George W. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney broke several laws and international treaties during their tenure in office and should be held accountable. The author contends that the Bush administration lied to the American public in the lead-up to the war in Iraq and permitted torturous practices in opposition to international agreements. Elizabeth Holtzman speaks at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York City.

Elizabeth Holtzman is a former Congresswoman from New York, who served from 1973-1981. She later served as the district attorney of Kings County (Brooklyn, NY) and is currently a practicing lawyer. Ms. Holtzman co-authored Cheating Justice with Cynthia Cooper.

Holtzman was involved in the impeachment of Nixon…..

11. April 15, 2012 at 8:00 am

Tim Geitner and Axelrod will be on Sunday shows. Glory be!

12. 76 ChristiMTL
    April 15, 2012 at 8:05 am

Morning Chips and TODers…

Mmmmm what does it mean ”el hombre de la Cumbre,,?

He looks great as usual!

April 15, 2012 at 8:07 am

I’m very happy to see that the Obama camp is not falling for Romney’s trick of using his delayed 2011 tax return as a decoy to avoid releasing all his previous returns!

/ / Obama told Univision in an interview conducted at the Summit of the Americas in Colombia that candidates need to disclose their tax records as a way of letting the public know their financial background. It was the first time Obama had made the request personally, His campaign has pressured Romney to release a trove of tax documents going back to the 1990s. //

Notice the MSM is already focusing only on his 2011 returns – knowing fully damn well that there’s going to be absolutely nothing in there to criticize.

14. April 15, 2012 at 8:08 am

One of our Rich liberal friends should bring Robney to Court, on releasing his tax returns, all the way back to 2000!
    Under the Freedom of information Act, and this would get a lot of Press!
    Thoughts?

• 82 miss pat
      April 15, 2012 at 8:34 am

No need for that. The issue will come up over and over again until he has no choice but to release them. But all I know is that he is maybe creating new returns if that’s at all possible. Don’t forget his offshore accounts. That will come up too. As well as his involvement in his “church.” Can’t wait for all that to happen. I wonder if he has some more wives hidden away somewhere? Or maybe his sons have many wives although family is supposed to be left alone. But remember how they went to town on the President’s aunt and uncle? What’s good for the goose is good for the gander. Journalists better start researching and writing these stories.

• 83 57andFemale
      April 15, 2012 at 8:50 am

There’s no law that compels candidates to relesse their returns. FOIA refers to the government.

15. 84 Ladyhawke
    April 15, 2012 at 8:11 am

WHO’S BUYING OUR ELECTIONS??

1) Bill Moyers Essay: Who Pays for Political Ads?

Great efforts are underway both locally and nationally to keep secret the identities of people and organizations paying for local political advertisements. But Americans can still do something, even when broadcasters shirk their responsibilities. In this essay, Bill Moyers suggests what you can do to bring those names to light. (3/30/12)

2) TAKE ACTION

“Yes, democracy’s in trouble, but what can I do about it?” We know the difficulties can seem insurmountable. But organized action, joining with others to face our times and challenges, can make a difference. Below are a variety of initiatives dedicated to tilting the balance of power. Suggest your own ideas and remember Margaret Mead’s wise words: “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”

• 85 a4alice
      April 15, 2012 at 10:30 am

whoa lots of stuff! tweeted thanks LHJ

April 15, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I sent off a tweet/two on the subject. The suggestion to ask local TV stations for paper info behind negative ads seems quite doable.

‘Some groups — like the nonprofit investigative journalism organization ProPublica, the Media Policy Initiative at the New America Foundation and Free Press — have brainstormed a way to help broadcasters with this “onerous task.” But they need help to make it work. They’re asking that people go down to their local TV stations, politely ask for the records and make photocopies, and then upload the data. All three organizations have mounted campaigns to get the records online’

• 89 Ladyhawke
        April 15, 2012 at 1:58 pm

thanks so much vc. we must tear down the msm firewall.

April 15, 2012 at 2:10 pm

LH, I actually like this suggestion because it seems relatively simple without need for excessive techno expertise – ASK nicely, PHOTOCOPY, UPLOAD. Even i can do that….well, except for the upload part. However, I feel sure someone here could walk the technologically challenged through that part, if necessary. ;)

16. April 15, 2012 at 8:13 am

Good morning!

He is beautiful! Thanks Chips!

April 15, 2012 at 8:17 am

Hey TOD, I know this is a Huff Po link but this is what Bill upthread was talking about when he said Chris Hayes had video of Romney saying that stay at home moms need to have the dignity of work, they need to be forced to work outside the home and if they don’t they should lose their benefits. This is how the Romney camp shoots themselves in the foot. They trotted out Ann Romney to be the face of all stay at home moms and here we have her husband who has never advocated for stay at homes and who in fact as Gov. of MA, championed legislation that was hurtful to stay at home moms. The Obama campaign is going to have a field day with this.

• 93 ChristiMTL
      April 15, 2012 at 8:20 am

I hope it goes viral!

• 94 Linda
      April 15, 2012 at 8:24 am

Video kiIIed the Etch a sketch czar
      Video kiIIed the Etch a sketch czar

• 95 utaustinliberal
      April 15, 2012 at 8:24 am

p.s. I tweeted the link & a synopsis of the article to @DavidAxelrod @StefCutter @Messina2012

April 15, 2012 at 8:29 am

This is a great article – because not only does it expose Romney as a LIAR on his overall position on SAHMs, it emphasizes how really contemptuous Mitt Romney is of “poor” people. According to the article, Romney said:

// Poor women, he said, shouldn’t be given a choice, but instead should be required to work outside the home to receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families benefits. “[E]ven if you have a child 2 years of age, you need to go to work,” Romney said of moms on TANF. //

That just shows how callous and dismissive Willard is of anyone who doesn’t fall in the top 1%.

• 103 theo67
        April 15, 2012 at 2:11 pm

So, Romney is the only Presidential candidate on record making denigrating comments about stay at home moms. One would think that his campaign team would keep track of the words he has spoken. They look like fools.

• 104 57andFemale
      April 15, 2012 at 8:54 am

I may be wrong but I believe that Clinton’s welfare reform bill already compels work of some form.

However if this clip is out there this issue is dead for Repubs. The pushback on actual policies has been excellent.

• 105 collegekay
        April 15, 2012 at 9:03 am

You’re correct…..The 1996 Welfare Reform he passed with Gingrich

But the point is, R-Money is trying to politicize stay at home moms as “hard work” while at the same time suggesting poor moms are inferior.

• 106 jackiegrumbacher
      April 15, 2012 at 9:34 am

“FORCED to stay at home!!!” What kind of nonsense is this? There’s no meaning in anything Romney says. Point A does not lead to B or to any other known letter of the alphabet. This is free market? Small government? Micromanage every aspect of a woman’s health and life so that she can’t even choose to take care of her babies? If any woman in the US votes for this idiot, she needs a mental health check.

• 107 TrumpDog
      April 15, 2012 at 9:51 am

But but but Ann Romney says staying at home is hard work.
      I’m so confused…

• April 15, 2012 at 12:51 pm

ALL OF US on Twitter should tweet this to Axelrod. Although I’m sure they have it already, let them know we want them to bring it up.

18. 109 xtine
    April 15, 2012 at 8:22 am

Congrats Pinkbunny! Chips, La Xtine of Columbia contributed to that piece! :) Kidding!

19. April 15, 2012 at 8:24 am

SNL clip had Robney tipping a waitress saying, give that to your Husband, he will know what to do with it. Ouch!

20. April 15, 2012 at 8:27 am

I notice the news reports are picking up steam today in their efforts to connect the SS mess to “the White House”. Just saw a report on NBC Weekend Today which wrapped up with the reporter looking accusingly in the camera saying, “This is not only embarrassing for the Secret Service. This is embarrassing for the White House.” What a load of BS. The news media twists themselves into pretzels trying to make any bad thing that happens “Obama’s fault”. I have never seen such dishonesty regarding a president in my life.

• April 15, 2012 at 8:34 am

You see? It’s all a ploy to rev up the Tea Baggers! Afterall, how long has it been since the last Tea bagger rally?

April 15, 2012 at 8:35 am

Yes, it’s an extremely healthy and disturbing obsession that the MSM has trying to tie just about every and anything potentially embarassing or negative to President Obama. I’m surprised they haven’t spun the recent string of tornadoes as an “embarrassment for the WH” yet.

• April 15, 2012 at 8:49 am

The key word seems to be “overshadows”. It’s like one person wrote this description of the SS incident and every single news organization went with it, that the Secret Service shame “overshadows President Obama’s trip”. As if any news org. was even mentioning the trip. Not one mention until they could tie it to a scandal. Infuriating and disturbing. No independence or integrity remaining with our mainstream news media.

• April 15, 2012 at 8:51 am

Next, they will try and blame the Titanic as bad news for Obama!

• April 15, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I am just furious about this SS mess, I mean these guys are supposed to be protecting our President, and his family, and they’re off somewhere getting their freak on!

21. 122 PoliticalJunkessa
    April 15, 2012 at 8:29 am

!Buenos Dias, Chips! !Buenos Dias, TOD!

If the election could be won on bumper stickers alone, we would win in a landslide. So I took a day trip up to DC yesterday, and as is my usual habit, i paid attention to what people had stuck to their bumpers, who they were, and what they were driving. :mrgreen: Obama/Biden was wellllll represented. I saw stickers of all vintages and designs on everything from monster pickup trucks to teeny hybrids, driven by just about every ethnicity and both genders.

I know it’s all anecdotal, and this won’t be won on bumper stickers, but it made my driving just a bit more pleasant :-).

April 15, 2012 at 8:43 am

Senator Gillibrand (NY) is going to be on MTP with Bachman today which will be focusing on women and the economy. I tweeted her back saying “Please don’t allow Gregory and Bachmann to get away spewing Republican lies!”

• 124 Ladyhawke
      April 15, 2012 at 8:57 am

I was going to say that I expect Michele Bachmann to say “Obamacare” at least 10 times during the interview on MTP. But since President Obama has embraced the name I wonder if she will be relucktant to say “Obamacare”.

April 15, 2012 at 9:14 am

LOL! Let’s see how many times she uses that term. The focus of the segment is not going to be on ACA, so she might not get a chance to say it as much. This was the segment for which Gregory had invited Hillary Rosen who first accepted but later declined, with a sarcastic reason that she was going to “stay at home” with her children today. Good for Rosen!! I’m glad that Gillibrand is going instead.

• 126 theo67
          April 15, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I hope gillibrand was armed with the clip of Romney from January.

April 15, 2012 at 2:47 pm

No she wasn’t. I was extremely disappointed in the segment. First of all David Gregory tried to make it all about Ann Romney and Hillary Rosen. He even showed a clip of Hillary Clinton from since 1992 talking about staying home and baking cookies (which in my opinion is damn irrelevant to the current economic issues that women are facing). Then Michele Bachmann was allowed free reign to spew lie after lie with her RNC talking points, while Gillibrand appeared unfocused and went into all kinds of details about congress and HR X Y and Z. Gillibrand hardly challenged Bachmann’s claims and in some cases nodded her head and smiled while Bachmann was talking (WTF!) When Gillibrand did get a chance to talk, she was usually interrupted by Bachmann, which was enabled by Gregory, and the whole thing was just sickening. Sometimes I have to question the agenda of some of these so-called Democrats when they go on those shows – I really do.

23. 129 PoliticalJunkessa
    April 15, 2012 at 8:59 am

Ok, still catching up on yesterday’s posts and I must say that the Conceptual Guerilla post and accompanying video is truly one of the best pieces of political truth I’ve seen on the interwebs in a long time. We need more truthtellers like him — only people like him can reach a certain demographic. Excellent, excellent work — focused, fact-filled, hard-hitting. Great stuff!

April 15, 2012 at 9:05 am

Betsey Stevenson who worked under the Obama Admin. as a Chief Economist in the Labor Dept. and is now a professor at Princeton is on Up With Chris and she is fantastic! She is not letting anyone criticize PBO unfairly, she is explaining taxes, GDP, fairness and equality is such simple terms that helps everyone understand those topics, she is taking Romney and the GOP to task, she is calling out Romney for his hypocrisy and how he values rich stay at home moms but scorns and derides poor stay at home moms. Her twitter handle is @BetseyStevenson. Just great.

April 15, 2012 at 9:13 am

Indeed Ut! She is very impressive and tells it like it is – with sound FACTS, no spin. The DNC and Obama campaign would be well advised to make an ad from the Romney video or capitalize on this information otherwise. The MSM will allow Romney to get away with flip-flops, lies and spin – that doesn’t mean we should.

• 132 a4alice
      April 15, 2012 at 10:44 am

excellent UT got it out there.

April 15, 2012 at 9:09 am

Here is another great article from our friends over at PlanetPOV on the dishonesty of the MSM :

HEADLINE: MSM Misleads in Telling the Story of Obama’s Personal Taxes

// BUT….the Media in general, even the so-called Progressive media, want (need) a tight race. Tight races sell newspapers, magazines, books, advertising time. They build readership and viewership. They make money. Lots of money. SO….for example, Fox emphasizes that Obama paid less than the “average” (more accurately the “median”) top one percenter and ignore how small that “less” is and how much the Obama’s gave to charity. Furthermore, most income earners at the level of the Obama’s in the $5 to $6 million range pay taxes at levels far closer to the 14 Percent paid by Mr. Romney last year. Fox has also used the line that Obama’s rate is lower than his secretary’s- a shot at the Buffet rule icon.
    Huffington Post, has had two stories on the Obama taxes. The first headlined “Obama Tax Return Released For 2011″ is very brief, provides no analysis and invites readers to study the linked tax returns for insights. Ridiculous.

The second HP story has this headline: “Obama Tax Return Claims Mortgage Deduction That Most Helps The Rich”, a reference to a $10,000 home mortgage deduction. Misleading. So, if they won’t tell the truth or spread the word, those who support the progressive agenda better do the job. //

• 134 COS
      April 15, 2012 at 9:34 am

Isn’t it funny how they are picking apart PBO’s tax returns with these misleading headlines? They should be doing more headlines on Mr. Moneybags (Mittens) tax returns.

• 135 theo67
        April 15, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I’m not sure why proving the President’s point about millionaires paying less than their secretaries making the media giddy. Of course the President pays less than his secretary-that’s the point!

• 136 a4alice
      April 15, 2012 at 10:46 am

excellent find HP2. discouraging but we can still push back!

April 15, 2012 at 9:10 am
    April 15, 2012 at 9:21 am

Chris Hayes sometimes is annoying but when he comes out swinging, he really hits hard. Yesterday’s show with Prof. Micahel Eric Dyson and today’s show with Prof. Bestey Stevenson and David Cay Johnston is fantastic! They’re expsoing Romney’s and the GOP’s lies in a brilliant manner.

April 15, 2012 at 9:41 am

This is the video from Up With Chris; where Chris Hayes exposes Romney saying that poor stay at home moms should be forced to work or else they should lose benefits.

• 144 Linda
      April 15, 2012 at 9:43 am

Mitt would like to see Work Houses for deadbeat Mom’s ?

• 145 Brit
      April 15, 2012 at 9:46 am

I hope all the people that were offended by Hilary’s comments feel offended by Mitt’s attack on poor mothers.

• 146 utaustinliberal
      April 15, 2012 at 9:47 am

p.s. I tweeted it to @DavidAxelrod @StefCutter @Messina2012 @BenLaBolt @WoodhouseB @DWSTweets.

• April 15, 2012 at 9:57 am

I saw that. It was kind of convoluted like most of his answers. Apparantly he was saying something like he will give them more money not to stay at home. If someone has a different take I’m all ears because it really didn’t make a lot of sense to me.

• 149 a night owl
      April 15, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Wow. I can’t believe he said this just over 3 months ago! Is the Romneytron not programmed to remember or understand the meaning of the words coming out of his mouth? Have his handlers just stopped listening to him and so were caught unawares? Or are they so immersed in their own twisted world view that they are unable to grasp their sheer hypocrisy? To me, it proves the Romney campaign is extremely clueless or desperate. Probably both. Which is good.

This clip completely undercuts the Romney’s high dudgeon about perceived liberal disdain for stay-at-home moms! In the clip, he’s not just dissing poor SAHMs, he’s dissing those who are rich, poor, AND middle class, implying that work in the home is INHERENTLY undignified.

That they would try to make hay out of this when that clip exists is just political malpractice. I guess this is what happens when you have no core; it’s easy to lose track of what you found convenient to say 3 months ago…

29. 153 magapie
    April 15, 2012 at 9:43 am

I agree with what everyone has sad about the SS scandal and how dissapointing a pathetic the behavior was of the guys involved. HOWEVER, in general I maintain THANKGOD for the SS and the A-MAZING job they’ve done protecting the President and his family starting when he was a still a candidate. I mean, talk about a job that asks a lot? And while the best of the best must be damn smart, have great judgement and be devoted to thier country I’m going to venture there’s some testosterone involved in the career choice. Stil no excuse, I know, I know…… But remember how important those guys and gals are especialliy in terms of this President with so many unhinged, ingonorant, bigotted morons out there…I mean MORANS….

• 154 nospin
      April 15, 2012 at 8:47 pm

“I maintain THANKGOD for the SS and the A-MAZING job they’ve done protecting the President and his family starting when he was a still a candidate. I mean, talk about a job that asks a lot?”

I am with you on this one. Cut them some slack. They are human and keeping up with PO is an huge job.

30. 155 Bill
    April 15, 2012 at 9:48 am

Harold Ford, Jr. is agreeing with Michele Bachmann and criticizing Hilary Rosen on “Meet the Press”. And he is suppose to be a Democrat.

April 15, 2012 at 10:01 am

Heads up: David Axelrod is going to be on CBS’s “Face The Nation.”

32. 166 ChristiMTL
    April 15, 2012 at 10:05 am

With new heart, Cheney calls Obama ‘unmitigated disaster’.

April 15, 2012 at 11:05 am

I was on HP this morning, and I came across the article about what Cheney said. So I left a comment which went something like this, I said it’s true Cheney has a new heart, but it’s clear he’s the same old nasty bastard he was before. Maybe he need a new brain because he seem to have forgotten 2000-2008 when he was the Unmitigated disaster Vice President. This country is still trying to recover from the horrible eight years of Cheney and G.W.

33. 169 ChristiMTL
    April 15, 2012 at 10:11 am

Ut I read your tweet

utaustinliberal ‏ @utaustinliberal

@MHarrisPerry The Buffett Rule is NOT a gimmick. It’s a start to a more comprehensive reform.

Who said it was a gimmick?

I’m not watching the show but I’m curious to know who said that,.

April 15, 2012 at 10:19 am

David Axelrod just debunked that stupid Fox News poll on Fox News Sunday with Chris Wallace and had Wallace stuttering like a moron. LOL.

35. 172 Ladyhawke
    April 15, 2012 at 10:21 am

GOVERNMENT IS GOOD

———————————–

1) Taxes are Good

2) A Day in Your Life

April 15, 2012 at 10:23 am

Gene Sperling is great on Fareed Zakaria #CNN. His facts are just pouring out like rain. His disdain for Paul Ryan and the Ryan budget just seeps out of his pores.

April 15, 2012 at 10:28 am

For fucks sake what the hell is wrong with Melissa Harris Perry? This is why people complain about her show. She always plays this false equivalency BS between Democrats and the GOP, President Obama and Romney. David Cay Johnston on Up With Chris just explained why the Buffett Rule is needed and why he commends Pres. Obama for pushing hard for the legislation. He explained that it isn’t the be all and end all and we need comprehensive tax reform just like PBO has been advocating.

What does Melissa do? She begins her show with how the Buffett Rule is a gimmick and how PBO is playing political games. Then she invites two conservatives to debunk the Buffett Rule and say that PBO is being unfair to corporations and is basically pushing class warfare. Thank goodness Joy Ann Reid pushed back some.

• 177 Linda
      April 15, 2012 at 10:33 am

MHP has shown herself with this show…….I am very disappointed in her.

• 179 Ladyhawke
      April 15, 2012 at 10:36 am

ut, my blood is boiling over this. I am furious. The only thing that was good about that segment was Joy Ann Reid. She was the only one making sense. The two conservatives were just spouting tired old GOP talking points about taxes. After watching such an informative and stimulating conversation on Up With Chris Hayes, this was a total downer. I had to change the channel. Unbelievable…..

And another thing, President Obama never said the Buffet Rule was going to solve all our problems. It’s a start. Just like getting rid of oil subsidies would be a start. It’s all about FAIRNESS and that the GOP can not abide.

• 180 Pamela
        April 15, 2012 at 10:38 am

Sounds as if she has sold out…..

• 181 Linda
        April 15, 2012 at 10:43 am

I think Chris Hayes paid attention to the push back he was getting……Melissa is not .

• 182 57andfemale
        April 15, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Chris Hayes will not always make us happy, but I’m finding that, when he’s not on some PL tear, his show is more substantive and thoughtful. He gained my respect with his show on ACA a few weeks ago. I do not need a criticism-free media, but I do expect that alleged progressives at least not do damage to Democrats and especially the President. His show on ACA did have some criticisms of ACA,(mainly from the administrator of Cook County Hospital who just highlighted that the bill did not solve all of the problems she faces every day) but NO ONE on the panel (except the token RWNJ) was against the bill as an important first step. It was the kind of substantive information and discussion that we should have had in 2009, instead of the knee-jerk b.s. from alleged progressives.

No doubt there is some interesting discussion on MHP’s show, but I would prefer she stop telling us how intelligent the show is and instead prove it. There is absolutely NO REASON for her to spout Republican talking points in a false equivalency format. It’s inexcusable. Indeed the format is now set: the show starts out letting Republicans spout whatever lies they choose to spout with no context or pushback until perhaps later in the show. By then I walk away as I expect a great number of us do.

• 183 theo67
          April 15, 2012 at 4:03 pm

These people who say that a solution is crap because it only solves some of the problems – they get on my last nerve. It’s like an emergency room doctor letting a patient die because they can’t fix everything wrong with them with one fix after the patient has been hit by a moving train – repeatedly! Given the decades of damage done to this country, it’s unreasonable and juvenile to look for easy, one-stop solutions to very complex problems.

April 15, 2012 at 10:36 am

Seems like she is so fearful of being seen as supportive of Obama, that she will twist herself into a disingenuous hack just to satisfy her MSNBC bosses?

Hint to MHP: Just stick to the TRUTH and FACTS. It won’t be your fault that President Obama is already on the same side as the truth and the facts.

• 185 57andfemale
        April 15, 2012 at 1:58 pm

That’s exactly the point, hopefruit: if you have the facts on your side there is no excuse for false equivalency. If the facts indeed support the President and Democrats, then that’s what you discuss and you do it proudly. Especially in the new world of ‘journalism’ where the airwaves are so slanted against Dem’s and the President. If it is obvious that what they are spouting are lies, then you have no obligation to pretend that there is truth in their statements. Stand up. Be honest. It is the opposite of ‘fairness’ and ‘balance’ if you feed into inaccurate memes. Then you are not the intellectual you claim to be, but a wannabe TV star. I’ve got TV drama for that. I don’t need that on a news network.

• 186 collegekay
      April 15, 2012 at 10:38 am

That’s why I don’t watch her show.

• 188 lisalovesobama
      April 15, 2012 at 10:45 am

Seriously? She just said it was a gimmick? Why? How are her ratings? Some people should have their own shows. I’ve never watched and I don’t ever plan on doing so.

• 189 lisalovesobama
        April 15, 2012 at 10:46 am

Shouldn’t. Some people shouldn’t have their own shows. :x

April 15, 2012 at 10:50 am

I don’t watch her show either. But I appreciate that some of us tried to give her chance — but apparently she’s making it very hard for continued support for her show among PBO supporters.

• 191 Betsy
          April 15, 2012 at 11:18 am

I started watching her show, but have been increasingly dismayed and even furious at her poor attempt at false equivalency. It’s as if she doesn’t think that the truth is more important than whether people at FOX news, or conservatives think she’s “unbiased”. I can’t watch it anymore, too bad as I liked her a lot when she was a guest on Rachel Maddow.

• April 15, 2012 at 10:50 am

The Buffett Rule is important for several reasons, not the least of which is FAIRNESS. In the debate about cutting and spending, the RWNJs want us to believe they are all about deficit reduction and fiscal responsibility but all they are doing is shifting even more of the burden to the middle class. It’s so freakin’ simple and so full of common sense, leave it to the punditry to try and make it complicated and somehow not right. DERP.

• 193 isonprize
      April 15, 2012 at 11:00 am

I’ve been holding back on Melissa. I never liked her, but I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt, thinking maybe there is something there that I’m just not seeing. NOPE, what I thought I saw is there, it’s just that folks are just seeing what I felt. She’s in it for self. Just likes the limelight and to hear herself talk. My initial thought were, unfortunately, correct. Sad…

38. 195 Pamela
    April 15, 2012 at 10:39 am

Bye everyone, off to work, will peek in when I can… Have a lovely Sunday! Love you, Chips!

39. 199 sherijr
    April 15, 2012 at 10:56 am

Oh Me Me me!!! I wrote it.. honest I did.. or I would have had I actually been there ;) Now that writer actually told the truth about our POTUS: The Man.. in all ways.

April 15, 2012 at 10:57 am

Melissa Harris Perry is a fucking moron. Randa Fahmy Hudome worked in the GWB Admin and was part of the group that relaxed energy regulations that screwed us. She sits on MHP Show panel and lies about Pres. Obama saying he will release strategic oil reserves so that he doesn’t get blamed for gas prices. Pres. Obama NEVER said that! Does Melissa push back? No. What does she do? She sits down like a bloody dumbass and nods her head and agrees with Randa. So much for being an intelligent professor. She’s a bloody disappointment especially after Chris Hayes’s fantastic show this morning.

April 15, 2012 at 11:12 am

utaustinliberal, contact the MHP show and ask her about this. Call ,tweet, email and ask her why she allows folks to come on her show and spread lies against this President and she sits there like a knot on a log and says nothing. I don’t watch her show or Chris Hayes.

• 202 Ladyhawke
      April 15, 2012 at 11:15 am

This is one of my pet peeves with MHP too. She talks (a lot) and she has too many guests. The segments are all disjointed with too many points of view including hers. I never feel like a topic gets the focus it deserves. And on top of that she does not point out false claims. I just don’t understand it. I know she can’t spend the entire show fact checking everything the panel says, but there are some lies and distortions that need to challenged when the comment is made. I mean what was the point of having two conservatives on the show today to repeat worn out GOP talkingpoints about tax policy that just sounded like gibberish? They added nothing to the conversation. The Reagan trickle down nonsense didn’t work, we have proof of that. Enough already.

• 203 Bill
      April 15, 2012 at 11:15 am

UT, the same thing came to my mind. She was at Princeton and now Tulane. One wonders what her students think of her.I am becoming to believe she is in the pundit show business for the money with no real agenda to promote..

41. 204 isonprize
    April 15, 2012 at 11:07 am

Interspersed with pictures of PBO in Cartegena, Colombia, are pictures of thousands of people lined up at a free medical clinic in Bristol, TN in the Appalachian mountains. There are some of the poorest people in the United States.

I wonder if these folks understand that PBO is working for them also? It amazes me how people, as my momma would say ‘who don’t have a pot nor a window” can be so hateful toward PBO, especially when he is working in their best interest. These folks in Tennessee are the very people that Myth R-money so obviously despises. But yet, they will vote Republican. Cutting of the nose to spite the face. Wow, just wow…

April 15, 2012 at 11:19 am

Barack Obama is black and most of these people are poor and white, who have been raised in a certain way, Blacks belong in there place and whites belong in there place.

• 206 isonprize
        April 15, 2012 at 11:30 am

Anniebella, you know I know it! LOLOL But it just goes to show how much of a sickness racism really is. Here are folks so poor in both finances and education that they don’t have basic dental care or don’t know enough to brush their teeth, so it’s easier to pull teeth than it is to maintain good dental hygiene.

But yet, they think they are better than someone else solely because of their skin color. That’s just sad.

April 15, 2012 at 11:33 am

isonprize, it is sad.

• 208 theo67
          April 15, 2012 at 4:11 pm

This is why someone like Diane Sawyer should know better, too. She’s getting ready to do a farce of an interview with the Romneys, but she did a really good documentary in 2009 about the Appalachian people. I never knew about those people and how they lived until I saw that documentary.

So, she’ll have the Romneys on her show, give them a platform to tell more lies, then go back to her Manhattan apartment. And all that time, she’ll know that the President is the one who’s trying to bring internet to those far away locations in the Appalachians to open up the world to those people. She’ll know that the President is the one trying to extend health care for those people. She’ll know that the educational grants that will be available to those poor people are because of the President eliminating the middle man. She’ll know that the food initiatives from Mrs Obama will help to bring good nourishment to those poor people in the Appalachians. And she won’t lose a second of sleep helping the Romneys, who don’t know that the people in the Appalachians even exist.

• 209 CEB
        April 15, 2012 at 12:45 pm

And their place apparently is standing in long lines waiting for much needed healthcare from an agency that used to do this in 3rd world countries until the need came so dire here. These and others like them are the majority of the people that PBO is trying to help, but they will vote Repub. b/c in their minds every Black person is beneath them. Our president said on election night :and for those who did not vote for me, I will be your president also.” and he has kept his word.

• 210 57andfemale
      April 15, 2012 at 2:01 pm

He’s a Muslim and a Kenyan who is going to take their guns. They don’t care where their health care or education comes from. It’s terrifying.

42. 211 Nena20409
    April 15, 2012 at 11:07 am

Up With Chris did a great Job find yet another Etch-A-Sketch from none other than Willard Mitterrand Romney. Question is, will the Cablers/TV and MSM spend the next 4-5 days decimating Romney as they did Hilary Rosen? Will the Obama Team from Chicago and the WH condemn Romney? Will they ask that Romney apologize? Who then gives Hilary Rosen her dignity back? Who will apologize to her for speaking the truth, though in-artfully worded?

Those who tweet really should push this version of events. I am sick and tired of what the media does and Dems generally would tacitly join the mob.

43. 212 trinisamba
    April 15, 2012 at 11:09 am

Good morning ALL!
    I too am perplexed by the coverage of the SS “non- issue” I really couldn’t understand why one reporter stated that the “scandal” has overshadowed the real issues of the summit. That is such a lie!!! Summit business has gone on as planned and they are talking about trade despite what is being reported. Sometimes I feel really sorry for the American public…..that is, those who depend on the media for information and do no search for the truth and for those who do not follow The Obama Diary. There are so many lies being told and being dressed up to make believable. As one TODer stated….so much of the world loves PBO and wish he could be our leader. I certainly wish he could be ours. The man is a genius. He is God’s gift to this planet. I do not think that we will see another such brilliant , charismatic, allout great leader on this palnet in OUR lifetime.Another father and husband who is as devoted as he is. Michelle, Malia, Sasha and Bo are the luckiest people on this planet.
    Enjoy your day folks. I am surprising myself by doing what I hate doing the most…………………………COOKING!!!!!

• 213 Cha
      April 15, 2012 at 4:33 pm

It’s because the corporatemedia “reporters” are determined to Overshadow The Real Issues. Would they even let anyone know PBO was at The Summit of the Americas if the forward team of the SS hadn’t acted lke such asses?

44. 214 pugeretto
    April 15, 2012 at 11:10 am

Good Morning, great picyures Meta and posts by all. Been oout of the loop several days, but yesterday I heard Angry Black Lady on the car radio! She was talking about the black butt controversy, having to take picture off her new site, & ended with hearing Nate Dog barking in the background!
    PBO looks extra, extra…..what’s the word I’m looking for? Oh yeah, HOT in those pictures. Smartness, cuteness all wrapped up in our Man of the Summit.

45. 215 Cheryllou
    April 15, 2012 at 11:14 am

I got up this morning in a good mood, but after watching some of MHP and Meet the Depress, I’m fucking mad as hell. Who the hell does Michelle Bachmann think she is to say on MTP that President Obama is a healthcare dictator!! I’m so pissed that my husband says he could see smoke coming out of my ears. WTF!!!!!!!!

46. 216 collegekay
    April 15, 2012 at 11:16 am
  47. 217 Nena20409
    April 15, 2012 at 11:18 am

Romney is telling Us on Jan 4, 2012 that his wife’s decision to stay at home was undignified. Ann Romney had nanny, maid, cook, gardener and boarding schools. Many people have no such thing. It was her right. But she had and has No expertise to speak of what problems women in our society face, in general. That was what Hilary Rosen was saying. She was 1001% correct.

I have finally gotten a new computer that would allow me to participate here from time to time.

I love the work done on this site. I love BWD. I do spend a chunk of my time debunking and getting pres Obama messages out on Huffpost. I used comment a lot at Daily Kos. I left right after BWD left there. I have now slowly been visiting Daily Kos, not writing just fishing. They are better now than before.

So keep up the great work.

Any possibility that the Video of Chris Matthew’s moderating events, the English version would be posted here? CM made a ninny of himself. PBO as usual, saved the day.

Love pics of Columbia Obamabot. I wonder if the pres ever was given the baby donkey and the huge portrait?

You all rock. Thank you.

April 15, 2012 at 11:27 am

About the media, here’s one thing we must remember, Barack Obama is President and as President you have privileges you can demand. When He needs to get his point across he can call press conferences, speak in the Rose garden, and just go to the American people himself.

April 15, 2012 at 11:30 am

About the Secret Services scandal, that had nothing to do with President Obama, he was not even overseas when this suppose to have occur.

• 220 isonprize
      April 15, 2012 at 11:33 am

Nena, check a few threads back. It was posted. Chris Matthews was the idiot that he usually is. PBO slapped him so elegantly, it was a thing of beauty!!

48. 221 Linda
    April 15, 2012 at 11:29 am

The GOP had a meeting ind was told by their leaders to start using words like Socialist, Socialism, Communism whenever and whenever they can, They don’t have to stick to anyone individual just need to associate Democrats with those words.

This is according to a person that has a friend that works for a Texas Republican Congressman….

kind of third hand…but I would bet it is true.

49. 222 Bill
    April 15, 2012 at 11:36 am

Cokie Roberts said on ABC’s “This Week” that PBO has a big problem with married women and then praised Ann Romney. Do you married women here agree?

• April 15, 2012 at 11:46 am

Cokie makes my ears bleed. She’s part of the George Will-David Brooks-Charles Krautface-McLaughlin BS Brigade. These people need to move on because their schtick is TIRED and meaningless.

April 15, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I really don’t know much of what you wrote here, meta, because I couldn’t get past “Krautface.” Hold on, gotta pick myself up off the floor. I’m laughing so hard I must regroup.

• 225 Linda
      April 15, 2012 at 11:48 am

Blah…..she has been passed around inside the beltway for so long she is bowlegged.

• 226 utaustinliberal
      April 15, 2012 at 11:49 am

Cokie Roberts and Harold Fold give Democrats a bad name. They have no spine. No spine at all.

• April 15, 2012 at 11:51 am

That would be the same Cokie Roberts that said PBO was from exotic country Hawaii. Nuff said.

• 230 itgurl_29
      April 15, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Cokie Roberts also said that the Obama campaign was clueless by spending money and time in the smaller caucus and primary states and should learn a thing or two from the Clinton campaign, that it comes down to the “big states”.

Cokie Roberts, like 99 percent of beltway “journalists”, has no idea what she’s talking about.

April 15, 2012 at 12:34 pm

itgurl-29, learn from the Clinton campaign, that says it all right there about Mrs. Roberts. She was, is a Clinton supporter, and she has never gotten over the fact that Sen. Obama defeated her Hillary. The Obama campaign hasn’t asked for Cookie Roberts adviced, they didn’t need it in 2008 and they don’t need it now.

April 15, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Let’s see. Cokie Roberts is a “journalist” (and, I believe, a PUMA). President Obama is the leader of the free world, mostly due to his own efforts, skills, techniques, vision, and knowledge.

I see our future in his face, not hers.

April 15, 2012 at 12:29 pm

If you were to hook Cokie Roberts to a lie dector it would show that she never have been a fan of President Obama, so I don’t give a dam what she says. When you look at those crowds who come see President Obama, all of them aren’t single women.

• 234 57andfemale
      April 15, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Cokie Roberts is an idiot. Always has been, always will be.

• 235 Cha
      April 15, 2012 at 4:36 pm

cokie is an insignificant ant in the big lie machine.

50. April 15, 2012 at 11:36 am

OMG, Secretary Clinton gets her partay on!!

photo/1

51. 238 libra800
    April 15, 2012 at 11:37 am

wow a few months ago, I came to this website and people were tearing Chris Hayes new show apart. I noticed that even thoough some of you didnt really like what he was saying each week, you continued to come here each week and talk about what was going on with his show each week. (which means you were still watching it) I noticed that some of you only talk about Melissa Harris Perry show when you hate it, and you are dead silent when she has a great show. I am not sure why that is, because MHP have had some really GOOD shows. I guess, to each their own…. I am so glad there are people out there who like to make up their own minds. (no different standard for MPH show) The “I’m so dissappointed in her show” sounds just like the catch phrase the political left uses on President Ohama. :-( Anyway have a blessed day my friends, Im done here for the day.

• 239 L3
      April 15, 2012 at 11:44 am

It is not unreasonable to expect the truth.

• 240 Bill
      April 15, 2012 at 11:48 am

I am not a regular viewer of MHP but she does not appear to have any views of her own and accepts whatever she is being told. Just my opinion, but it makes for a boring show.

April 15, 2012 at 11:56 am

libra800 I’m not sure what your point is. The insinuation that people have different standards for MHP than they do for Chris Hayes is not true. If that were true then why :

“people were tearing Chris Hayes new show apart” as you stated in your comment? In fact, this is precisely one of the reasons I never watched the C.H show – because I didn’t care for his punditry which I from the tweets and posts that I read, was leaning Libertarian and somewhat anti-Obama. Occasionally he has some good segments and today happens to have been one of those days. He had video footage of Romney saying something – this video happens to be extremely relevant to the current GOP/MSM narrative of Romney being sympathetic to SAHMs, and that’s why people were so delighted by it.

And obviously, just like the CH’s show, people continue to watch the MHP show week after week, despite fretting about the content. If they weren’t watching it, they wouldn’t know what’s happening to post comments about it here!!

• 242 utaustinliberal
      April 15, 2012 at 11:58 am

Don’t come here and try to play that false equivalency game with us. We’re smart dissectors of politics and we expect truth. When MHP does well, we congratulate her. When she allows scurrilous lies to go unchecked we’re damned sure going to call her out. This is 2012. It’s not a bloody joke. This is a defining election. We’re not in it for shits and giggles.

• 243 libra800
        April 15, 2012 at 1:08 pm

@utaustinliberal there is no false equivalency here. (congratulated her when ??) the constant negative comments about her show is one of the reason I made it a point to stop coming to this site on Sundays (until today). wish I had not :-( it probably would be easier to tolerate, if it didnt feel like shes a new target for what is wrong/ or not perfect in the media.

• 244 trinisamba
          April 15, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Get off and get a life!!!!!!!!!! Trolling is prohibited on this blog~~

• 245 nospin
          April 15, 2012 at 9:01 pm

hi Libra800. It isn’t about MHP being a target.

The point of most regarding MHP is the fact that she stands for nothing. You can’t have folks sit on a show that bears your name and not push back on blatant lies. You just cant.

• 246 Brit
      April 15, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I watched one icomplete Melissa Harris-Perry show back in February. I decided not to watch anymore, because she doesn’t pushback on her guests lies. MHP is not appealing to a lot of people because she doesn’t pushback on lies, and she is still not doing it. I know this because of Twitter timelines. Apparently today she had a former Bushie on, and she allowed the women to lie about President Obama’s energy policy. Based on Twitter timelines it appears that people can make it through the first hour of her show, then end up turning for the 2nd hour.

• 247 lisalovesobama
      April 15, 2012 at 12:31 pm

You shouldnt equate the griping here about MHP with the looney left’s ODS. Firstly because MHP and PBO aren’t even on the same level or in the same room. Second, because MHP clearly deserves criticism if she’s not doing a good job- which apparently she isnt given the constant bad reviews- and third, this is a free and open space, people come here to say what they want even though others may disagree, just like I’m doing right now.

April 15, 2012 at 11:38 am

What kind of weird marriage was that! According to an interview with Ann Romney in 1994, she said that the last argument that she (and Willard) ever had was when she was 17 years old.

// Their last argument was when she was 17: “We did have one argument, but it was before marriage, when I thought he was being too possessive, when I wasn’t really understanding that he was just so in love with me and so committed. I was 17, and we had a real argument. But that was the last one. Isn’t that strange? It’s like people might think there’s something wrong with our relationship.” //

Yes Miss Ann. Methinks something is very wrong with that picture. In 1994, Ann Romney was 45 years old! No two individuals who are remotely close go for 20+ years without a single argument, unless one person fundamentally controls the other. So either Miss Romney was flat out lying or that marriage was extremely one-sided.

• April 15, 2012 at 11:44 am

I read somewhere a couple of weeks ago – can’t remember where – that one of their sons said that Mitt is really easily rattled and unfocused when Ann isn’t around. She grounds him so they all really like it when they’re together, especially on the campaign trail. SMH. These people are WAY STRANGE.

• 250 Bill
        April 15, 2012 at 11:52 am

If he were ever president Ann had better be around when Willard gets the 3:00 AM phone call or the country would be in trouble.

April 15, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Especially if the call comes from a scary “woman” (who might even be a “mom”) in leadership in our country or some other country, since he won’t have a clue how to handle it.

April 15, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Although I think in trying to do some PR for Ann Romney, the son might have exaggerated how much his father “needed” his mother, this doesn’t speak well for Mitt Romney. Unlike the Obama’s who compliment each other, both President and Mrs. Obama can hold their own without the other.

April 15, 2012 at 12:33 pm

meta – Yes, and I’m sure our country would respond really well if Mitt ever got to be president, which he won’t, and Ann were seen as the one to “run” things, which she won’t. We just have to recall how favorably our country took Hillary’s involvement and even Nancy Reagan’s involvement, and remember it’s still “only” 2012, and the good ol’ boys will have none of that. (This is no reflection on the fine gentlemen of TOD, or among other Democrats, who appreciate women who have a voice and stuff to share!)

• 254 isonprize
      April 15, 2012 at 11:54 am

HF, no denying that both Ann amd Myth are kinda strange, but I wouldn’t say that it’s bizarre not to have arguments.

Some people define ‘argument’ diferently. Some people think an argument is just the slightest little disagreement, others think that it’s only an argument if objects are being thrown. :lol: Still others think it’s not an argument if you don’t raise your voice.

So, whatever… The R-money’s lie so much, does it really matter what Ann and Myth did back when they were teenagers? And can you really believe what she says about it now? Hell, she counts her grown husband as one of “her boys,” so I’m not putting much worth in what she has to say.

April 15, 2012 at 12:04 pm

The point of my comment is not to highlight what they did what they were teenagers, but the kind of marriage they’ve had over the years. Mrs. Romney was 45 years old when she did the interview and she said that they did not have an argument since she was age 17. As for the definition of “argument” being different for different people, I don’t believe that’s what at play here. Most people understand “argument” to mean a disagreement that usually involves some degree of anger and negative emotions, with stronger or harsher tones that are used in ordinary speech or communication.

Obviously Ann Romney herself felt something was not right with that picture – hence her disclaimer “Isn’t that strange? It’s like people might think there’s something wrong with our relationship.”” She put that out there for a reason.

Of course it’s strange – very strange. It’s speaks to an issue of Mitt Romney’s temperament. That’s what I’m getting at here.

• 256 lisalovesobama
          April 15, 2012 at 12:36 pm

She could just be lying to make them seem sweet and perfect: perfect, happily married couple. Idiots. That’s still not relatable, most everybody fights with people they’re close with. :roll:

April 15, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Right and it goes back to my point about the true state of the marriage. If she was in fact lying then it begs the question of why a 45 year-old woman who’s been married to the same person for over 20 years feels the need to lie so egregiously about her marriage. And if she was telling the truth, it points to a highly unusual marital experience that would give me great pause.

• April 15, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I believe they didn’t have arguments since they married. Romney probably wasn’t around much because he was so busy taking over companies, firing people, sending his money to the Cayman Islands, and being a big poobah in the Mormon Church! You can’t disagree/argue with someone when they’re hardly around except to make another baby.

• 259 57andfemale
      April 15, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Stepford people.

I saw a phrase yesterday that has stayed in my mind concerning Mittens’ policies and Ann’s support for those policies: The Romneys: The American Family Wrecking Crew.

53. 260 Betsy
    April 15, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Paul Ryan Gets Slapped Down
    by BooMan
    Sun Apr 15th, 2012 at 10:36:11 AM EST

I’m just guessing here, but I think more Catholics will nod their head in agreement with the following than did when the Church got upset about contraceptive coverage in health care plans.
    Nearly 60 prominent theologians, priests, nuns and national Catholic social justice leaders released a statement today refuting Rep. Paul Ryan’s claim that his GOP budget proposal reflects Catholic teaching on care for the poor, which he made in an interview earlier this week with the Christian Broadcasting Network. The group of Catholic leaders — including a former high-ranking U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops official, a priest in Rep. Ryan’s district and the leadership team of the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas — called on Ryan to “reconsider his radical budget proposal and refrain from distorting Church teaching.”

Read the rest here: http://www.boomantribune.com/story/2012/4/15/103611/146

April 15, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Perfect. Finally, we get some speaking out about all of the distortions these Republican bozos are perpetuating!

• 262 theo67
      April 15, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I hope someone asks Ryan to point to the biblical verses that reflect the damage he wants to do with his disastrous budget plan. He’s an evil idiot.

April 15, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Yes, it’s “el hombre,” all right. Walking right into TOD, at the top of the thread. Good morning, Mr. President!

55. 264 Linda
    April 15, 2012 at 12:30 pm

On MTP, Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (Democrat, NY) was repeatedly interrupted by Representative Michele Bachmann (Antediluvian, MN) during the Senator’s time answering questions from the host. Being the polite Democratic senator that she is, Senator Gillibrand did not protest these interruptions or Ms. Bachmann’s stealing of time from her in this manner.

This is a losing strategy on the part of Democrats. What Senator Gillibrand should have done was stood her ground in the fact of Ms. Bachmann’s filibuster:

Gillibrand: (answering question)
    Bachmann: (interrupting)
    Gillibrand: Excuse me, Congresswoman. (continues to answer)
    Bachmann: (more interruptions)
    Gillibrand: Excuse me, Congresswoman. (continues to answer)
    Bachmann: (still more interruptions)
    Gillibrand: Excuse me, Congresswoman. (continues to answer)
    Bachmann: (even more interruptions)
    Gillibrand: Excuse me, Congressb***h.

[Stunned silence]

Bachmann: What did you call me?
    Gillibrand: I called you a Congressb****h. I tried to call you Congresswoman three times, but you didn’t respond to that, so I figured that wasn’t what you were. So I decided to make another guess at what you were. I obviously guessed correctly, because you responded to it.

• 265 Bill
      April 15, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Linda. I noticed the same thing. David Gregory did a very poor job controlling the mad woman, Bachmann. He allowed her to run out of control.

April 15, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Did Sen. Gillobrand say that? Alright. You go girl. I love it. I think I will email Sen. Gillibrand. :)

• 269 57andfemale
      April 15, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Frankly, every Democrat with a microphone should know this tactic and be prepared for it. Every Republican is schooled in how to keep the subject on their terms and to not allow anyone a word. You can tell that there are consultants literally teaching them what to do. When are the Dem’s going to do the same? This is something DWS needs to work on. Don’t expect the host to do it — do it yourself. “Michelle, I was respectful of your time and I expect the same from you. I will finish my response and you will listen, like I listened to you.”

56. 270 4morefor44
    April 15, 2012 at 12:39 pm

i’ve been trying to learn this twitter thing, and just followed someone’s link above to mark knoller’s page. he makes this reference on april 13, “Pres Obama said while he’s at the Summit of the Americas he’ll be seeking ways to get US more business to put more Americans back to work.” then, there are a couple about his experience going through security, and then nearly 20 tweets and counting 100% about this secret service minor story. there’s even one pumping up the proven criminal darrell issa supposedly being concerned now about the preisdent’s safety. not one single thing following up about the results of the trip and why he was even there in the first place. what a sorry excuse for a journalist, and a human for that matter, this knoller guy is, and to think he gets to influence public opinion in such a large way. disgusting!

• April 15, 2012 at 12:44 pm

twitter has been very revealing w/r/t the press, politicians and celebrity in general. It’s an amazing tool that has really changed the landscape as far as democracy is concerned.

• 272 theo67
      April 15, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Yes, Mark Knoller is one of the worst and one of the most pathetic.

57. 274 Smoothscotch
    April 15, 2012 at 12:57 pm

GO BILL COSBY!!!!!DEFENDS THE PRESIDENT! THAT WOMAN CRAWLEE’s show, what are you disappointed about the Prez. Sh*t…

The look on her face was priceless, no come back, just a phony smile &nod. Then Trayvon?