Apr

rise and shine

Link

ThinkProgress: In a CNBC interview with Larry Kudlow Mitt Romney defends his decision to release only two years of tax returns — both filed after he decided to run for President — by claiming that 2004 Democratic nominee John Kerry also released two years….

…. In fact, John Kerry released not two years of returns, but 20.

More here

Washington Post: New poll data from the Pew Research Center suggests that not only does President Obama enjoy a clear edge over former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney among women but that younger women favor the incumbent overwhelmingly, a data point that suggests a potential long term problem for the GOP.

…. The number that really stands out is that among women between the ages of 18-29, Obama is beating Romney by 45 points. Yes, 45. While Obama is leading Romney among all 18-29 years old by 28 points (61 percent to 33 percent), the fact he is down by such a vast margin among young women has to set off red flags in Republican world.

…. lose women by any more than 11 points and it’s difficult for a Republican to get elected to the White House…. Republicans have to hope the yawning gender gap – particularly among young women — is temporary. If it’s not, it could mean big trouble not just for Romney but for Republican presidential nominees in four, eight or even twelve years time.

More here

Des Moines Register: A week after he quit the presidential race, fundraising mailers from Rick Santorum arrived in Iowa mailboxes Monday with a strongly-worded warning.

“It truly frightens me to think what’ll happen if Mitt Romney is the nominee,” says the letter signed by Santorum and paid for by his campaign.

The undated letter says there’s still time for conservatives to make sure the GOP doesn’t nominate “a Massachusetts Moderate” and that Republicans would be “crippled” if Romney were to become the nominee.

The blunt message quickly had Republicans here speculating: Did Santorum order up the mailer right before he suspended his campaign on April 10, so its timing was just a simple and understandable mistake? Or, did Santorum, who is still raising money and possibly not quite ready to come to grips with his loss, send this wording out deliberately?

More here

Steve Benen: Even before the race for the Republican presidential nomination effectively ended, many of Mitt Romney’s most notable supporters expressed deep misgivings about him. Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), for example, said a day after endorsing the former governor, “There are a lot of other people out there that some of us wish had run for president — but they didn’t.”

On Capitol Hill, the dissatisfaction is considerably more acute. More than a dozen far-right House members chatted yesterday with reporters, and as Sahil Kapur reported, the group had “a hard time finding anything praiseworthy to say about their party’s presumptive presidential nominee.”

More here

Herman Cain’s “Revolution on the Hill”:

BuzzFeed

America’s First Tourists: The First Family Visits our National Parks:

President Barack Obama at the Grand Canyon in Arizona, Aug. 16, 2009

President Barack Obama and family tour the Gay Head lighthouse in Aquinnah, Mass., while on vacation on Martha’s Vineyard, Aug. 27, 2009

More here

Morning everyone ;-)

I’m waaaaaaaaaay behind replying to people’s emails, will try to catch up later today.

109 Responses to “rise and shine”

April 18, 2012 at 8:30 am

i knew it! :lol:

• 2 Suzette
      April 18, 2012 at 8:31 am

Congrats vc.

• 3 Alycée (@jazziz2)
      April 18, 2012 at 8:32 am

C O N G R A T S ! ! ! ! !

• 4 isonprize
      April 18, 2012 at 8:32 am

VC, you are on a roll!!!

April 18, 2012 at 8:37 am

Thank you, Ison, Alycee & Suzette! :lol: I’ve only been hanging around the button since 7am, :oops: but it’s been worth it. The big grin on my face is doing wonders for my heart health. Of course, I can’t wait to do my gloating dance for CC! **whisper** I think she’s avoiding me, but I can be patient. ;) ;)

Enjoy your day!

• April 18, 2012 at 8:41 am

“I’ve only been hanging around the button since 7am”

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

April 18, 2012 at 8:59 am

Morning, Mr. Pres! Thanks for taking a moment to send a smile m way. Have a great day, Sir, with your head held high!

My very dear Ms Chips, did you notice that you owe me a picture from last night? Ahem! When you have a moment, do check the ‘keeping his word’ post, please. There’s no rush. The evidence is there. :lol: :lol: Not that I’m counting or anything, but VC is now at three for April, so in keeping with my goal of one per month I’ve now got JUNE covered! Whoo hoo! :razz: :lol: :lol:

• April 18, 2012 at 9:02 am

Ah flip, I missed your moment of triumph yesterday!!! Actually, I think I missed everyone’s moment of triumph, it was one of those days :-(

Will you forgive me?

• 9 Pamela
                April 18, 2012 at 9:14 am

You didn’t miss mine, Pegs, I missed it! ;)

April 18, 2012 at 9:22 am

I’m thinking about it.
                Well, okay, since you asked with that great Chips smile…and since you have now acknowledged my victory! :lol: Plus now you’ll need to acknowledge the others before they start revolting.

AND Ms Chips, I don’t say it often, but THANK YOU LOTS, for being YOU here in TODville! This is such a warm place because of your smile. I bet, I’d recognize your smile anywhere! ;) ;)

• 11 Pamela
          April 18, 2012 at 9:16 am

Ah, life’s simple joys are the best, eh, vc? ;)

• 12 amk for obama
          April 18, 2012 at 9:17 am

Stalker ….

• April 18, 2012 at 9:21 am

Hey you, I’m about three days behind reading the comments, any luck in Kenya?

April 18, 2012 at 9:27 am

Ssssh! What’s the matter with you, Amk? Always trying to show me up! ;) Have to admit though that that stalking business is tiring and often frustrating – you take your eye off for a second to grab a sandwich or to answer a child and the target moves! So when you connect it’s a great feeling.

April 18, 2012 at 8:32 am

:lol: GOOOOD Morning, Chips Chica & TODville! It’s a beautiful day, isn’t it? :lol: :lol:

• April 18, 2012 at 8:37 am

OMG!!!!!!! It’s VC!!!!!!!!

Wooooooooooooooooooooooot!!!!!!! :lol:

• 20 Pamela
      April 18, 2012 at 8:59 am

Now wait just a dog-goned minute…. What’s all this? :) :) :) :) :)

April 18, 2012 at 9:04 am

Only an example of persistence and pressing on paying off, Pamela! :lol: Can you see the glow around me having Chips acknowledge my accomplishment – ‘OMG!!!!!!! It’s VC!!!!!!!!’ :lol: You can share in the glow for being such a supportive friend through all my training, trials and errors. ;lol:

• 22 Pamela
          April 18, 2012 at 9:17 am

Thank you for sharing, I had already taken a bite when I read this post! Oopsie! Lucky for me you are a generous One!

• 23 pinkbunny92
      April 18, 2012 at 9:55 am

Congratulations VCPresOfan2 :-) Please tell me your secret! hahaha!

2. 24 Suzette
    April 18, 2012 at 8:31 am

Good morning TOD.

3. 25 Allison
    April 18, 2012 at 8:31 am

2nd!! Good Morning!

April 18, 2012 at 8:39 am

That Ann Romney cake just makes me laugh at the idiocy.

5. 28 meabloom
    April 18, 2012 at 8:40 am

G’Morning All!

6. 30 collegekay
    April 18, 2012 at 8:42 am

Good morning :)

7. 31 joyce
    April 18, 2012 at 8:42 am

Also the large crowd at Herman Cain’s rally. LOL

8. 37 ladyvader
    April 18, 2012 at 8:45 am

Congrats, vc. This is the first time in days that i’ve been able to get out of bed and come to computer because i’ve been so sick…ugh, but i’m glad i did to catch up on the wonderful pictures of our prez in the americas. Chips, you rock!!!

9. April 18, 2012 at 8:51 am

Question: when the Campaign gets going in late July early august, is Willard just going to wait fir the Presidents itinerary, and then copy it?
    What a jerk!

• 43 LOL
      April 18, 2012 at 8:56 am

I don’t mind. I hope they also compare crowds. On another note, I don’t usually/mostly care for Maureen Dowd, but she took Queen Ann to the woodshed today.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

After the liberal strategist Hilary Rosen clumsily mocked Mitt Romney for relying on Ann to tell him what issues women care about when “his wife has actually never worked a day in her life,” Ann smashed that lob back.

Blasting out her first tweet, she said: “I made a choice to stay home and raise five boys. Believe me, it was hard work.”

Shaken Democrats dived for cover and threw Rosen under the campaign bus. The media, worried about being perceived as favoring President Obama, jumped in on the side of the maligned Ann.

She pressed her advantage, scolding Rosen on Fox News. “She should have come to my house when those five boys were causing so much trouble,” Ann said. She alluded to her brave battles against breast cancer and multiple sclerosis: “Look, I know what it’s like to struggle.”

But at a fund-raiser at a private home in Palm Beach, Fla., on Sunday, the night before her 63rd birthday, Ann made it clear that she wasn’t really aggrieved. She was feigning aggrievement to milk the moment.

It’s important when you act the martyr not to overplay your hand. If you admit out loud to a bunch of people — including Haake, who was on the sidewalk enterprisingly eavesdropping — that you’re just pretending to be offended, you risk looking phony, like your husband. (It also doesn’t fly to tell Diane Sawyer that your dog “loved” 12 hours in a crate on top of the car or that it’s “our turn” to be in the White House.)

More at http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/18/opinion/dowd-phony-mommy-wars.html?_r=1

10. April 18, 2012 at 8:54 am

Boner just released a Statement- beware Obama Boogeyman.

WTF? Now, he is calling the President the Boogeyman?

11. 51 Ladyhawke
    April 18, 2012 at 8:54 am

Top of the mornin to all of my little “CHIPadees”. “Celebrate Each Day”

12. April 18, 2012 at 8:55 am

Think it’s interesting that polls are all of a sudden coming up with results showing a horse race. Messing with the crosstabs—–eliminating 6% of minority voters, reducing Dem voters by 10 million, increasing Repubs by 12 million etc. So they’re surmising minorities aren’t going to show up to vote this time? And/or—–proof again that you can make polls come out any way you want—-and get attention on the teevee.

• 53 LOL
      April 18, 2012 at 8:59 am

Yup Yup…but when you look at the crosstabs, the same still holds. Women favor the President by alot, as do Hispanics…AND Romney;s favorables are still under water. Puhlease.

• 54 jackiegrumbacher
      April 18, 2012 at 9:01 am

Dotster, this is why the OFA tells its people to ignore all polls and keep working. The only one that counts is on Election Day. Let the R’s get complacent.

• 55 Pamela
        April 18, 2012 at 9:26 am

Thank you Jackiegrumbacher, no poll can ever measure everyone, and Election Day will prove the facts. Polls are like the PNW weather, rain to showers, rain late, well, maybe and maybe not, the sun mot shine, well, maybe not! On and on and on. .. Hve a great day everyone! Keep an eye out for VC, she is traveling at warp factor 10!

• April 18, 2012 at 9:04 am

That’s how bad the real numbers are for Romney. He’s headed for a serious smackdown and the pollsters know it.

• April 18, 2012 at 9:13 am

Maybe the pollsters are planning on the Repub states’ voter suppression efforts eliminating a percentage of minority voters?

• 59 0388jojothecat
      April 18, 2012 at 10:53 am

The MSM and the pollsters are doing the president a favor because if they did a real poll, they would show the president way ahead and his supporters might get lazy and decide not to vote. As long as they want to pretend it’s a “close” race it just intensifies Obama supporters efforts.

13. 60 jackiegrumbacher
    April 18, 2012 at 8:57 am

Glad you’re feeling better, ladyvader. It’s just about impossible to catch up. So much information, so many interesting comments, it’s like trying to drink from a fire hose. Sometimes I’m not even sure what thread I’m commenting on. I commented several times on Tally’s post, but can’t find at least three of them. Who know? Hope you’re over your illness and are now on the mend.

14. April 18, 2012 at 8:58 am

Morning, guys.

Did I miss something last month with Romney buying influence with CBS/NYT pollsters? Please fill me in.

• April 18, 2012 at 9:11 am

No crosstabs, just please believe us! Meanwhile, robney is behind with Latinos by over 50 points, AA community by 90 points, women vote by 15 points, young vote by 25+, —
      So, only old White Males now account for everybody else. Must be more Old White inflexible Males, than I thought!

• April 18, 2012 at 9:26 am

OK, thanks. I’d read that but now I’m also seeing some allusions to Romney buying influence. Maybe it was an assumption.

• 64 Ladyhawke
      April 18, 2012 at 9:15 am

I still can’t get over the “It’s Our Turn Now” comment from Ann Romney. They think the presidency is owed to them and that they are entitled to be in the White House. No need to have a silly election.

• April 18, 2012 at 9:27 am

That attitude didn’t work out so well for HRC. Just sayin’.

• 66 Lorraine
        April 18, 2012 at 9:43 am

Yup, I agree with Mrs. Romney, it’s their turn now to be beaten by President Obama. I remember Willard making a statement when Senator McCain had locked up the nomination and is bump was over, Willard said, “I could be the one beating beat my Senator Obama.” Don’t worry Willard you will but it will be “President Obama.”

• 67 Lorraine
          April 18, 2012 at 9:46 am

REPOST FOR TYPOS FIXIN’

Yup, I agree with Mrs. Romney, it’s their turn now to be beaten by President Obama. I remember Willard making a statement when Senator McCain had locked up the nomination and his bump was over, Willard said, “I could be the one getting beat by Senator Obama.” Don’t worry Willard you will but it will be “President Obama.”

15. 68 carolyn
    April 18, 2012 at 9:02 am

If they didn’t manipulate and show a horse race, they’d make no money the next six months. Always…follow the money. Richard Nixon’s best advice.

16. April 18, 2012 at 9:06 am

04/18/2012 7:00 AM

BP and the committee of plaintiff attorneys pressing the Gulf oil spill litigation are expected to file details of the settlements they reached over health issues and economic damage in federal court on Wednesday by 8:30 a.m. The documents will contain important information about what “risk transfer premiums” will be applied to different types of economic claims, or essentially, the multiplier on people’s damages.

When the deal was reached in early March, the plaintiffs committee said the multipliers would make resolution of claims through its settlement more lucrative than what Gulf Coast Claims Facility administrator Kenneth Feinberg was offering. Wednesday’s filing will be the first chance to evaluate that claim.

• 71 Linda
      April 18, 2012 at 9:23 am

My son goes to the same vacation spot in Florida several times a year….there was no damage from the spill…Yet..the person you has the job of putting “chairs ” on the beach received $15,000 from this by claiming loss of vacationers …he did not lose his job or one penny of pay.

There are several small business owners making claims and getting money for no reason.

17. April 18, 2012 at 9:12 am

O’Donnell is right when he says Nugent won’t try anything but that’s not the issue. What Nugent was trying to do is talk someone in that crowd or watching online into doing something. That’s a whole lot more dangerous.

18. 73 99ts
    April 18, 2012 at 9:15 am

Look at No 9 in the President’s national parks picture – every person has a smile – most have a camera & the only person not looking at the President is a SS guy – checking out the crowd.
    All the lies in the world won’t stop people voting for 4 more years.

April 18, 2012 at 9:19 am

That frigging crowd wasn’t even nien, nien, nien. What a buncha jokers from the rethugs.

20. April 18, 2012 at 9:29 am

Crikey, PBO leads Willard by 45 – 45!!!! – points among women between the ages of 18-29 in the new Pew poll. 45!!

21. April 18, 2012 at 9:32 am

Another horrible mess with soldiers in Afghanistan again. Something crazy is going on there.

April 18, 2012 at 9:35 am

Hold the fort, guys, and keep the hoopla down if you can! Though it’s my catch-up-@TOD day, I’ve got to run out of town for a couple of hours. Will hurry back.

Have a Wonderful Wednesday, One and All!

23. 87 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    April 18, 2012 at 9:39 am

GOOD MORNING TOD FAMILY…I LOVE THE WORDS FROM OUR PBO FOR THE LATINO COMMUNITY…IT IS SO IMPORTANT THAT ‘WE THE PEOPLE’ SAFEGUARD THEIR DREAMS HERE! GOD BLESSED US WITH SUCH WONDERFUL RAINBOWS OF DIVERSITY AND WE NEED TO RESPECT EACH AN EVERY CREATION! WE ARE ALL ONE INDEED!

24. April 18, 2012 at 9:43 am

A Republucan only focus group of Robney in Florida-

25. 92 Ladyhawke
    April 18, 2012 at 9:51 am

Martin Bashir Clear The Air – Where’s Romney’s Indignation over Ted Nugent’s comment?

26. 94 Ladyhawke
    April 18, 2012 at 10:05 am

A GROWING INTEREST IN MR SECRECY

By Steve Benen

————————————–

I have to admit, I didn’t see this one coming. If Democrats notice that Romney is keeping his tax returns hidden, and he purchased 17 state-issued hard drives, purging the Romney administration’s email records in advance of his presidential campaign, this is all part of an elaborate scheme to talk about … Mormons?

Someone’s going to have to explain this one to me.

My sincere hope is that we won’t reach the point at which every criticism of Romney leads to shrieks from Republicans saying, “See? They’re attacking his faith!” This kind of response to legitimate and secular inquiries is cheap, lazy, and wrong.

————————————–

• 95 Diane
      April 18, 2012 at 10:23 am

I live in the South. In the middle of the bible belt, and I am scratching my head at this strategy. If republicans want to use Mr. Romney’s religion as a form of safety. Invoking that he is being persecuted because of his religion anytime someone questions his taxes, etc. then I say be my guest. The tea party and bible thumping people I live around will not appreciate his religion or secrecy and it will remind them often of why they don’t want to vote for him. This strategy will bite them in the arse in my neck of the woods. Have at it boys!

• 96 Ladyhawke
        April 18, 2012 at 10:46 am

THE MORMON SHIELD?

More fake outrage, they can’t be serious. This is just remarkable and dare I say it DISHONEST. But then you knew that already. I am just amazed that they think this is a smart strategy to try and shield Romney from providing any details about himself or his policies. That dog won’t hunt. The issue here is transparency. They criticize President Obama for everything under the sun while hiding behind their own opacity. Meanwhile, the only people that I have heard raise any questions about Romney’s Mormon faith are Republicans.

• 97 jackiegrumbacher
          April 18, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Agree, LH. I think they’re treading on thin ice here. People who don’t focus on religion may not know or want to know that he is a Mormom, but if it’s shoved in their faces, the questions may begin. Does he really want to spend the next several months having a conversation about mormonism and his exalted position in the church? Romney’s not smart enough to handle these questions and he gets all prickly about them. That will not go down well.

• April 18, 2012 at 10:12 am

And over the past four years as we’ve seen these victories, President Obama has had our backs. In the battle for our nation’s future, President Obama has stood on the side of health, prosperity, and progress for all American families and against the greed of corporate polluters. From enacting the mercury safeguards to setting carbon pollution standards for power plants, President Obama and his exemplary EPA Administrator, Lisa Jackson, have tackled some of the most dire and pressing threats to our health, our families, and our planet.

That’s why I’m proud to announce that today the Sierra Club is endorsing President Barack Obama for re-election. The President has demonstrated exceptional leadership in standing up to big polluters, implementing historic mercury protections, and strengthening the clean energy economy.

27. 100 globalcitizenlinda
    April 18, 2012 at 10:17 am

Lorraine,

This comment you made above is very interesting: “Mrs. Romney, it’s their turn now to be beaten by President Obama” (by Lorraine proud participant of TODville).

I can see your comment being modified a bit and made into a cool tee shirt or other campaign stuff with the words:

” It is our turn now to be beaten by President Obama”. I can see myself wearing such a tee-shirt

if it is okay with you Lorraine can someone please send the a twitt or other message to the Obama/Biden Team at Chicago or the DNC?

28. April 18, 2012 at 10:25 am

And this is exactly why the big money, oil, gas and other major corporations are against him.

29. April 18, 2012 at 10:25 am

POLITICO has learned that the House Democratic campaign arm is reserving more than $32 million in broadcast TV advertising after Labor Day, the first real signal of the party’s strategy for winning back control of the House.

Wow! 32 million? Me likey! Helps define your opponent early! Good job- Steve Israel!

April 18, 2012 at 10:26 am

Morning everyone:) Just a reminder…it’s tax time, so the same old whiners will be screaming about their taxes…..

31. 109 globalcitizenlinda
    April 18, 2012 at 10:27 am

ted nugent and donald trump all demonstrating their support for mitt the liar on the same day sums up what kind of charcters make up the core of the gop today