May

Bits ‘n Pieces

President Obama chats with Col. Mike Minihan while making his way to board Air Force One at Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland. the President is heading to Albany to visit the College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering’s Albany NanoTech Complex at the State University of New York and to speak on the economy.

Coming up:

White House live

AP: U.S. companies in March posted the highest number of job openings in nearly four years, a sign that hiring could strengthen in the coming months after slowing this spring.

The Labor Department said Tuesday that employers advertised 3.74 million job openings in March. That’s up from a revised 3.57 million in February. The March figure was the highest since July 2008, just before the financial crisis erupted that fall.

The increase in job openings suggests that weaker hiring gains in March and April could be temporary. It usually takes one to three months for employers to fill openings…..

More here

Steve Benen: ‘With a polarized Congress already on the defensive, President Obama on Tuesday will outline a five-point “to do” list for lawmakers that packages job creation and mortgage relief ideas he has proposed before, administration officials say.

Mr. Obama will present the election-year list during a visit to a university science complex in Albany. The components of his challenge to Congress – and to the Republican-led House in particular – will be a feature of his appearances throughout the spring, aides said.’

…. Will Congress approve the list? Well, no, probably not. While these fairly non-controversial ideas might have been easy to pass in previous years, Republican filibusters and GOP control of the House probably makes any kind of economic legislation impossible. It’s not even clear if Republican lawmakers want the economy to improve before the election.

Then why bother? I suspect the point is to show the president presenting mainstream economic ideas that would have traditionally enjoyed bipartisan support, while a do-nothing Republican Congress sits on its hands…..

More here

108 Responses to “Bits ‘n Pieces”

1. 1 nintendowii10
    May 8, 2012 at 11:48 am

First!

2. 3 iamwomanofcolor
    May 8, 2012 at 11:48 am

I love him

3. 4 taiping1
    May 8, 2012 at 11:48 am

I’m in!

4. 7 Ladyhawke
    May 8, 2012 at 11:50 am

PAUL RYAN THINKS JULIA IS “CREEPY”

‘The Life of Julia’

By Steve Benen

————————————————–

The point of the project is fairly obvious: throughout a woman’s life, Obama has an agenda that provides protections and benefits that offer opportunities, while Romney has an agenda that does largely the opposite. Head Start programs help “Julia” at age 3; college aid benefits her at 17; the Affordable Care Act covers her at age 22; the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act protects her at 23, Medicare covers her at 65, etc.

The right is not at all fond of “Julia’s” story.
    The right finds “The Life of Julia” to be an extension of a socialistic worldview. Fine. Then let’s have a debate about which of the public benefits conservatives intend to destroy, present that to the electorate, and see whether voters agree.

Incidentally, Judith Grey reports that Republicans have been seething about the Obama campaign’s feature, but women seem to like it quite a bit.

——————————————————

• 8 Pamela
      May 8, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Julia, and I, think Paul Ryan is creepy.

• 9 Ladyhawke
        May 8, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I am so proud of President Obama’s team for making this slideshow to get the facts out. I think it a very creative approach and women are responding positively. It punches another hole in the media firewall. And that’s a good thing. I really liked this section of the article:

—————-

Rothenberg predicts that slideshows will “become a factor of this campaign because they seem business-like, factual and they’re to-the-point. They allow you to communicate in ways that seemingly have less of the emotional manipulation of video.”

“Julia” is effectively a Powerpoint presentation—a 2012 version of Ross Perot’s flip charts.

Democratic pollster Celinda Lake also sees the slideshow as an effective way to convey policy differences between Obama and Romney, and what those would mean to women.

—————–

5. 10 Ladyhawke
    May 8, 2012 at 11:51 am

Republicans Laugh, But Women Relate to ‘The Life of Julia’

May 6, 2012 3:21 PM EDT

In just two days, ‘Julia’ has already been liked over 37,000 times on Facebook, writes Judith Grey.

—————————————————–

“Julia” “is a very effective form of communication,” veteran Democratic consultant Bob Shrum told me Friday, saying Julia clarified the clear choice between the candidates on a whole set of issues relating to women, tying in with what he said was the overall theme of the Obama campaign: “who is going to stand up and fight for you?”

Far from discouraged, Shrum seemed heartened by the conservative response: “I sure wish Romney would go out in this campaign and say, ‘I don’t want the government providing these prenatal services to women. I don’t want the government providing programs for kids to go to college. I don’t want the government providing Medicare as a single guaranteed system that protects seniors.’”

Shrum makes a good point. While advocating for a life that’s continually dependent on government intervention is generally considered political suicide in America, explicitly proposing the opposite seems equally as damaging.

To avoid the issue altogether, Shrum predicts that the Republicans will take the campaign “to a level of abstraction” he doesn’t think “is very persuasive to voters.”

He is convinced that “what’s powerful about the Obama slide show is that it deals in specifics that people very much care about.”

——————————————————–

6. May 8, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Cloture vote on student loan rates now in progress.

7. 15 sherijr
    May 8, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Looking forward to POTUS’ speech today :)

8. May 8, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I had to repost this from the bottom of the last thread re: BWD’s statement:

_________
    I’m sorry BWD, but you are VERY WRONG. What is happening is that people are projecting their REAL FEAR of GOP & Wingnut noise-making power into making Pres. Obama a “Scape-Goat” (as in Greek Tragedies) for those fears. It is instructive that the very people lashing out at Pres. Obama have said ZERO to fight against the slew of marriage Amendments being pushed by religious folk around the country. Pres. Obama’s verbal assurance that he supports gay marriage will do zilch to stem the tide of hyper-bigotry being unleashed on us all.

It’s as if people like BWD have a death wish. If, as you yourself say, PBO is our last firewall against the real DOOM that Repugs will unleash on us, why do we wanna cripple that firewall? Why?? More importantly a verbal statement from him does SQUAT for LGBTQ rights SQUAT!

What more do folks want? His DEEDS show where his priorities lie. I thought we were the -reality-based crowd? He is NOT a therapist. The menace we face from the fucking GOP demands steely-eyed realism not group therapy sessions. He “walks like a duck, talks like a duck, he is a duck, for Pete’s sake. He is on the side of Gays!! We do not have the luxury at this point to nurse hurt feelings because PBO has not yet voiced approval. Sheesh?

So he does say the magic words, then the last round of Wingnut hellfire rains on him even more than it is a this point. He loses, we all lose. Then what? We sit in a corner commiserating together while the nasty wingnuts UNDO EVERY fucking single civil rights progress of the last century and further back? Is that what we want?

BWD and others cut it out. IT is a war out there and the other side is rigging the fucking game. And when it all settles PBO’s voiced or unvoiced approval of gay marriage will be the last thing we would be talking about. It will be brass-knuckle fight for survival!

People should read up on the history of the African American Civil Rights struggle sometime. It fucking took 400 years of taking to steps forward then 20 steps backward, inn order to get a few measly rights thrown our way. But even now those few rights are under constant threat. Perspective, people, get some perspective.

P.S. I apologize for the salty language. I’m miffed that’s all.

• May 8, 2012 at 12:18 pm

bravo, zizi.

fucking BRAVO!!!

• May 8, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I’m a white lesbian, zizi…and I agree with EVERY…DAMN…WORD!!!

• 19 Mel
        May 8, 2012 at 12:41 pm

ZiZi just great and I agreed The GOP want a hand a wageissue on this ELECTION, and why put more
        pressue on this President NOW, but I can tell you thet the Hispanic comunity are more concern about the
        Economy, Jobs healthcare, Education. Immigration, and yes Hispanics are O.K with marriage Equality, but
        this issue is exacly what the GOP would like to have, PBO has allready a full plate on his hands. PBO will get
        a lot of things done ONLY if he is re-elected. sp I hope people are a liitle more patient, I really worried.

• 20 utaustinliberal
      May 8, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Bravo Zizi! Bravo! THIS a million times over!

I also encourage everyone to go to the bottom of the previous thread and read AnotherSlyFox’s commentary on this latest nontroversy du jour. It is so brilliant and deserves to be turned into “A Word From AnotherSlyFox”

• May 8, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I knew when I sent it to Chip that this would probably be the end for me here and in the entire Obot world, but that’s OK, I know who I am and where I stand when it comes to PBO. I appreciate the fact that you and everybody else took the time to read and response, and I’ll leave it there.

• May 8, 2012 at 1:19 pm

If you’re made to feel you’re done here, BWD, then so am I – and we’ll all move on. I’ll post something later about today.

• 23 joanshaw
          May 8, 2012 at 1:46 pm

The two of you, Cut it Out! We love both of you and always will — what could we do without you? If we can’t tolerate a difference of opinion between some of us and our two captains, that’s our problem and we’ll work it out together. Please, be good everybody. Be good people and good captains. Blackwaterdog will always be my hero and our own captain, Chipsticks. Not gonna take sides, not gonna stop loving everyone on this site, and especially our two selfless captains.

• 24 terim
          May 8, 2012 at 2:06 pm

How in the world did we get here? I may strongly disagree with you once in a blue moon, but my love and respect for you and BWD has not changed.

• May 8, 2012 at 2:07 pm

It’s been a depressing day Terim, will post about it later. Thank you.

• May 8, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Well, Chipsticks, I hope when you are writing your post You think of your only tiny white, lesbian voice (me) who had to read all the anger and divisiveness.engendered by the emoprog, distraction that bwd engendered. People were pissed and I had to read their angry thoughts…painful because in that anger I was lumped in with all white gays. I am not there at all.

Here is my question I hope you address: why would you allow allow bwd a special forum when she has her own blog and is free to take it out of “hiatus” any time she damn pleases?

Chipsticks, you don’t know how painful and divisive that post was for me. It was heartbreaking to read posts from AA’s with whom I agree but nonetheless I was included in a broad brush.
              I believe that PBO’s ACTIONS are the only arbiter. His actions are stellar.

P.S. If there are any other openly gay people on this blog, please let me know. It gets lonely.

• May 8, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Pamela, I just can’t understand how you are blaming BWD, who wrote a sincere post in favor of gay rights, for anti-gay rights responses you found hurtful. That doesn’t make any sense to me.

• May 8, 2012 at 3:29 pm

IMO, yes , she was sincere.
                  IMO, as a sincerely (severely) gay person, this was NOT the time to “follow the emoprogs + MSM” into the black hole. Read the comments, people were so upset that they were lashing out with broad brushes…even though they had the high ground.
                  So, what I hope DOES makes sense to you is that the gist of all the comments really addressed the big picture.

In my heart of hearts, I can’t believe that anyone with your guts and spine would threaten to shut down your blog when bwd has her own blog and can shake off the mothballs…end her hiatus…and not hijack our our beautiful family.

• 29 aristac
          May 8, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Not sure what it is you are saying, but this was put on the front page. Chips what did you expect? With all due respect, you cannot do something like that and expect everyone to fall in line, and simply agree. It is obvious you knew this would happen, so why the depression? Some of what BWD wrote was just inflamatory.

• May 8, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I don’t even know where to start …. so I won’t.

• 31 aristac
              May 8, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Please start, I want to hear. Again Chips with all due respect, you put in on the Front Page. People were very respectful in there responses, with the exception of a few expletives.

• May 8, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I’ll post about it later aristac, so I’ll spare you my thoughts for now. But you’re making it sound like I posted an extract from Mein Kampf, rather than a heartfelt piece from a passionate supporter of the President.

• 33 aristac
                  May 8, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Wow Chips Mein Kampf? Just Wow! Is this the level we are going down? I’m just stunned right now. I think I’m done for now. Mein Kampf, again just Wow!

• 35 nospin
          May 8, 2012 at 5:17 pm

What the heck. Don’t even think about it Chips. We love both you and BWD.

Family can passionately disagree and then we make up right away. That is how we roll.

I think at the core of the issue we are all committed to equality for all people. We may not walk lock step 100% but that doesn’t mean we don’t care for each other and that doesn’t mean that concerns are not real. But this site has afforded the opportunity for us to create a dialogue.

Through all the heated debate I appreciated the fact that you actually have a community of people from all walks of life being willing to speak out on the isssue in this forum. That is a BFD. That is because of you.

Yes, we went off the rails a little bit. Things got rowdy but C’mon now. Girl you can’t walk away. We won’t let you.
          We are a family.

Do you know how high you and your blog are held in the estimation by the AA community? I have seen people share their thoughts and experiences in a way that we do not do outside of our own communities. But it is done here on the regular because of the climate you have created. That is a BFD.

We celebrate the highs and even after the lows, we pull through together.

Everyone agrees to equal rights. Every one rejects and denounces discrimination in our laws. There is still work to do in terms of bridging that final gap but with a community like this one, we can do it. Look, we love each other regardless of skin color, gender , country of origin and even sexual orientation.

What triggered the push back was that most were taken aback by the willingness to latch onto the meme that after all that PO has done to support equality for LGBTs (regardless of his personal feelings on the issue), it was easy to push his accomplishments aside and state that because he was a black man, the fact that he would not say the words I support gay marriage and not just civil unions, that all his accomplishments and the accomplishments of this administration was not good enough. It was difficult to see that even on this blog PO was still prone to be emasculated to serve the needs of Miss Ann. What he is, what he does and all his hard work and dedication meant nothing if he didn’t do what he was told to do when he was told to do it. In fact, it went so far as to accuse PO of being on the wrong side of the last big civil rights issue”.

Those statements opened some wounds but the positive aspect was that folks were mostly respectful and talked about it. These discussions are tough. But if we continue to have them we will continue to move forward. That said, please recognize that as a country we have come a long way Chips. We really have and we still have a way to go but we will get there. We have to stay together.

Pamelabrown53. My apologies to you. We love you dearly, and I am sorry if I contributed to any pain.

For you and my LGBT Fam

• 37 Alycee (@jazziz2)
        May 8, 2012 at 1:58 pm

BWD,

Why “…probably be the end for me here and in the entire Obot world…” We each have issues that we are passionate about, however, we should each realize that our #1 priority may differ from someone else’s. No matter our differences, I hope that there is more that unites us than divides.

I have read many comments and opinions here that I strongly disagree with, however, I have appreciated receiving a divergent view from a fellow Obot.

I have disagreed with PBO on several issues; IMHO none of my issues will be solved by public criticism, nor will they be solved by disengaging from the TOD/Obot community. My disagreements will only be solved by working harder to not only get PBO reelected, but giving him a Congress that will work with him. Bottom line for me is that there is not one disagreement that I have with President Obama, and/or the Obot commuunity, that will be resolved by letting him be defeated on Nov 6th.

• 38 terim
        May 8, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I really hope you can stay. I strongly disagree with you on this matter, but there is enough room and good will here for all of us. BWD, you have made me laugh, you’ve made me proud, and sometimes you’ve made me mad – I cannot imagine not seeing your posts here. If you go, and Chips goes, then we will have lost something very special and the only winners will be the Right.

• 39 terim
      May 8, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Thank you, Zizi!! We really must stop with the self-inflicted wounds.

• May 8, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Thank you Zizi2 for stating what I was asking on the last thread. How can he get it done now. And why now when he can not get congress to vote yes on anything. Look at all that he was able to do before the 2010 election then we lost the house.

• 41 nathkatun7
      May 8, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Thanks Zizi for saying so well what I attempted to say in my comment on the previous thread. I know critics of President Obama on this issue of gay marriage are fond of citing the struggle for equal rights for African Americans. What they totally overlook is the fact that when it came to the issue of interracial marriage it was never made a litmus test for those politicians supporting Civil Rights laws. As you so clearly said, “a verbal statement from him (the President) does SQUAT for LGBTQ rights SQUAT!” However risking the possibility of defeating the President and the Democrats in Congress, just to get a symbolic statement, is more likely to reverse all the gains gays have made as a result of President Obama’s actions. Ultimately, the issue of gay marriage will be resolved by the Courts and not the President.

May 8, 2012 at 12:03 pm

10. 46 Cheryllou
    May 8, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Hello

11. 49 Ladyhawke
    May 8, 2012 at 12:07 pm

GOP OBSTRUCTION CREATES JUDICIAL CRISIS

Has anyone heard this reported anywhere else other than The Rachel Maddow Show?

—————————————-

Ann Aron, President of Alliance for Justice, talks with Chris Hayes about the enormous crisis created by Republicans blocking President Obama’s judicial appointments and what the President and Democrats (and American citizens) need to do to help break the Republican obstruction.

Alliance for Justice Report Details President’s First-Term Record on Judicial Nominations and Calls for End of Election-Year Obstruction

PRESS RELEASE: http://www.afj.org/press/05032012.html

——————————————-

VIDEO: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/#47331529

12. May 8, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Wow, Manchin voted yes.

May 8, 2012 at 12:08 pm

BTW, Hillary was here this week and she made it a point to meet with two women state chief ministers (like your govnors), who won a landslide mandate of 75% seats in their states last year. Plenty of billboards in their respective states today showing them shaking hands with Hillary. :)

14. 64 @Kaituer
    May 8, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Before the press deemed the gay issue to be important this was not an issue. Why are we allowing the press to drive us with every faux issue. BWD needs to rethink her special comment.

Her comment demonstrates that mind games by the works.

15. 67 donna dem 4 obama
    May 8, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Interesting day here on TOD. (I’m scratching my head) I hired President Obama to do his job and I completely TRUST his judgement.

Anyway…Dems are having a huge “Unity Rally” this Thursday evening with Senator Ben Cardin, Senator Barbara Mikulski, Comptroller Peter Franchot, Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer, Representative Donna Edwards, County Executive Rushern Baker and our Maryland Elected Officials as we show our support for President Obama and Team Maryland in 2012. If you live in the area come on down!

• 68 collegekay
      May 8, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Is OFA MD located in PG County? I might be a problem for me this summer. I’m moving back home on Thursday night.

• 69 donna dem 4 obama
        May 8, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Well the main HDQ is in Kensington, MD in Montgomery County but I’m sure that office on North Charles in Baltimore is still active.

• May 8, 2012 at 3:55 pm

OFA has a office in Towson. They are looking to open one in Baltimore City. I really hope they find a location here soon.

16. 71 collegekay
    May 8, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Of course Republicans are set to block the student loan rate hike. If RMoney supports it, he should call them out but he won’t.

17. May 8, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Need more Snark Knoller. The other one, the Lesser Knoller, the Loser Knoller, has taken to flooding the twitterverse with GOP talking points.

18. 75 Liberal Librarian
    May 8, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Ok, here’s my introductory paragraph for my next piece on TPV. The title is “The GOP is doomed… maybe.”

Full disclosure: I voted against Prop 8 in California, think that gays should have big fat Greek weddings, and that their marriages should be recognized as such by the state. That’s not the issue. The issue is whether gay marriage is the most pressing concern for this country at this time, right before an election which will decide many things—culturally, politically, and economically—for the next couple of decades. Although I don’t think it is, gay marriage does figure into my thesis. Follow me, if you will.

19. May 8, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Yeas 52, Nays 45. The motion is not agreed to.

Reid enters motion to reconsider.

• 77 donna dem 4 obama
      May 8, 2012 at 12:33 pm

And these obstructions are NEVER discussed by our media. It’s all just brushed over as if it never happens. Sigh!!!

• 80 utaustinliberal
      May 8, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Once again, the GOP have blocked a commonsense bill. I’ve been tweeting this out today. We cannot let them get away with allowing student loan rates to double.

20. 81 debbyeOh
    May 8, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Good morning TODers one and all. I’m going crazy here in the Lone Star state with all these damn republican carpet bombing each other. Our Democratic party is so weak I don’t even know if we have a slate of nominees. It sucks to be here, but living in Houston it is kinda an oasis of Democrats, with our mayor, sheriff and a few others. So we’ve gotta keep on keeping on for the national election!

21. May 8, 2012 at 12:36 pm

22. 84 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    May 8, 2012 at 12:37 pm

So, little Fox #NEWSTAINER Eddie got his shorts in a bunch and tossed an insult my way :D :D :D

More than happy to respond to the dude …

To which he tries the typical deflect and pivot ….

Fail ….

#PRESSON

• 85 utaustinliberal
      May 8, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Good for you Bob! Get him! He tweets lies and gets huffy when he’s called out. Good for you Sir. :)

• 86 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
        May 8, 2012 at 12:50 pm

He’s truly proving to be the little brat in the sand box today :D

Check this ….

To which I responded …

He is in the ‘tv broadcast biz’ you know :D :D :D

#PRESSON

May 8, 2012 at 12:43 pm

May 8, 2012 at 12:50 pm

May 8, 2012 at 12:51 pm

• 96 itgurl_29
      May 8, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I love how PPP insists it will get closer even though POTUS’s lead is actually growing.

May 8, 2012 at 1:00 pm

LOL! I have to laugh..how do they know “it will get closer?” It might get closer, but it might also get wider. Unless they have plans to fix the polls at some point to make it seem closer than it actually is.

• May 8, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Well, historically polls do tighten as the election nears so they’re just do their usual caution. But I think all bets are off in this one. We’ll see…..

May 8, 2012 at 12:52 pm

27. May 8, 2012 at 12:53 pm

You know, all of MSNBC Shows has become a College Course.
    A Roundtable of Self Righteous Liberals whining their asses off. Or, a talk Show Host that borrows from Politico Journalists.
    Their are No Reporters on MSNBC, only whiny Liberals, and very very Cynical.
    I dint remember them being Nice to anyone. They are just a miserable News Organization.
    MNO!

• 101 0388jojothecat
      May 8, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Miserably
      Sorry
      News
      Broadcast
      Commany

With the exception of Martin Bashir and Rev Al Sharpton. The others are RWNJ’s or Wishy Washy Lefties.

28. 102 Ladyhawke
    May 8, 2012 at 12:53 pm

The utter lametude of the Romney campaign’s (attempted) slam on President Obama’s first campaign rally

By Eclectablog

——————————————

What I’m fascinated by is how lame this is. I understand the slams that go on back and forth during a campaign. That’s normal. Getting worse each election cycle, of course. But normal.

But this? This is lame. This sinks below lame, actually. Did Ryan Williams actually believe that the national news networks weren’t going to show a rowdy crowd of 14,000 cheering on President Obama and his classy, beautiful wife, First Lady Michelle Obama? Did he actually think that people would believe that only a handful of people showed up after the news cycle was completed?

What this whole thing shows isn’t that President Obama is a failure because he isn’t the celebrity rock star at this point in the game as he was in 2008 when Americans were parched to near-death for a tall drink of Hope and Change and Not-George W. Bush. It shows that the Romney campaign has so little to use against him that they are willing to scrape the gum off the bottom of their shoe to throw at him.

And that, kids, is the definition of lame.

———————————————

• May 8, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Not just the GOP, but GOPolitico and Chuck Toad—–they took that ball and ran with it also. It’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen. Who are you gonna’ believe—me or your lying eyes? It’s almost like Willard claiming he should get credit for the auto industry rebound.

29. 104 Ladyhawke
    May 8, 2012 at 12:59 pm

LOLGOP ‏ @LOLGOP

—————————-

When you’re taking credit for your opponent’s accomplishments, you’re losing.

—————————

30. 107 Ladyhawke
    May 8, 2012 at 1:06 pm

It is impossible to be worse on the issue of marriage equality than Mitt Romney

By Eclectablog