May

From DC to Seattle

First Lady Michelle Obama greets guests during a Mother’s Day Tea in the East Room of the White House (Official White House Photo by Sonya N. Hebert)

First Lady Michelle Obama greets a young boy during a reception for military children and their families in honor of Mother’s Day in the East Room at the White House, May 10

More about the event here

President Obama gestures as he and Senator Patty Murray step off Air Force One upon arrival at King County International Airport in Seattle

….. greeted by Washington Governor Christine Gregoire

A supporter of President Obama holds a placard near a private residence where Obama was attending a campaign fundraiser in Seattle

First Lady Michelle Obama and Jill Biden help assemble Mother’s Day packages that deployed US troops have requested to be sent to their mothers and wives at home as part of a Joining Forces service event with spouses of members of Congress at the Naval Observatory

First Lady Michelle Obama and Jill Biden with the Bidens’ dog Champ …..

….. they’re feeding Champ well!

202 Responses to “From DC to Seattle”

1. 4 donna dem 4 obama
    May 10, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Mrs O looks beautiful

• 5 Tally
      May 10, 2012 at 3:44 pm

GORGEOUS!

• 6 Diane
      May 10, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Absolutely! That yellow outfit is awesome!

• 7 PoliticalJunkessa
      May 10, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Oh my. She looks absolutely gorgeous in that yellow. So does Dr. Jill. FLOTUS’ hair is so beautiful, too. ♥ ♥ ♥

May 10, 2012 at 5:24 pm

FLOTUS looks so lovely. Dr. Biden also. I listen to FLOTUS today and she was so funny, and real too. She had some real nice things to say about her Mother who was there today. She just had everyone laughing including me, I just think the world of our First Lady.

2. 10 Liberal Librarian
    May 10, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Ok, Michelle looks SMASHING in that yellow.

3. 15 Tally
    May 10, 2012 at 3:45 pm

How cute is that little boy in the glasses!!! OMG.

May 10, 2012 at 3:45 pm

• 21 utaustinliberal
      May 10, 2012 at 3:46 pm

p.s. Yes Mitt, people don’t like hateful bigoted bullies.

• 22 Liberal Librarian
      May 10, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Oh.My.God. That is harsh.

• May 10, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Why would he do that? Just say he was wrong apologize and move on. Why would you try to get someone to cover your tracks from an incident 47 years ago? He’s a nut.

• 24 Liberal Librarian
        May 10, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Bullies can never fight fair. They pick on the weak, then when called out try to get other people to fight their battles for them. They, and Mitt, are pathetic wastes of DNA.

• May 10, 2012 at 3:57 pm

He’s like some adolescent that never grew up. Trying to cover his tracks so his parents won’t get mad at him. Apologize and move on. Now here he is sixty five years old acting like this just happened yesterday.

• 26 Liberal Librarian
            May 10, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I, for one, am loving this, and loving that our media for once is doing its job.

• May 10, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I’m with you that one. I said before that it’s going to get so bad that they won’t be able to ignore it. I just didn’t think it would be this quickly.

• 28 Liberal Librarian
                May 10, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Not to put my tinfoil hat on, but it’s almost as if the Obama campaign knew this was out there, and struck. PBO couldn’t be THAT lucky, could he?

• May 10, 2012 at 4:26 pm

For sure luck but I would not be a bit surprised if PBO had this information already. Before all is said and done the President is going to show everyone that he knows Romney better than Romney.

• 30 theo67
                    May 10, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Excellent statement! Romney says the President won’t run on his [excellent, historical, courageous] record. Romney is the one who should be afraid of his record. Very afraid.

• 31 EricFive
                  May 10, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I was thinking the same thing. I’m sure Team Obama has done its homework concerning Mitt. It all seems too well orchestrated. PBO’s courageous stand concerning gay marriage and Mitt’s homophobic bullying past (and present day inability to own up to it) give voters a clear look at the character of the candidates. Polls have consistently shown that the American public likes leaders who are willing to stand up for what they believe, even when not personally agreeing with that leader’s stand (this was the case during GWB’s presidency, for example). PBO voiced his personal view regarding same sex marriage, while conceding that it is an issue for the states to resolve. His words seems to have united and galvanized PBO’s base (although I still don’t understand how any could view his record as anything other than “gay friendly”). His announcement also coincides with a big Hollywood fundraiser and will no doubt lead to a HUGE increase in donations. PBO is not a reckless politician or leader. Lawrence O’Donnell said last night that there are only 3 states left that have not resolved the gay marriage issue (Rove and GOP have already “milked that cow” on a state level). This will prevent the GOP from duplicating the North Carolina ballot initiatives in other states as I feared earlier on. Mitt is going to overreact and push for a Constituional Amendment, but that will alienate Independents.. Frankly, I am glad to be having this discussion in May as opposed to having it in September or October. Time will tell how things will play out, but I have learned to never doubt PBO’s political instincts or courage.

• 32 sabreen60
                  May 10, 2012 at 11:24 pm

It’s not tinfoil. POTUS has the means and the method to find out all the skeletons in Romney’s closet. The Repubs tried to do a job on PBO with their lies. PBO will bring out the truth about Romney for the world to see.

• 33 Mel
              May 10, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Martin bashir did a gret job on it, martin ie always on target.

• 34 amk for obama
      May 10, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Karma is so sweet.

• 35 57andfemale
      May 10, 2012 at 4:09 pm

When you’re too creepy for prep school grads, you are REALLY creepy.

May 10, 2012 at 5:14 pm

UT, Did the campaign really do that? What’s wrong with an apology, and ask for forgiveness? Maybe Mitt don’t think he did anything wrong.

May 10, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Martin Bashir is on fire today. He excoriated Romney for his vile assault on his former classmate who was gay, said Romney’s personality is comparable to a wilting asparagus. Called Michele Bachmann out for her hypocrisy in obtaining dual citizenship in Switzerland while saying she is more pro-America than Democrats and PBO.

BREAKING NEWS: Michele Bachmann has withdrawn her Swiss dual citizenship. Hahahahahahahahahaha

6. May 10, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Where is Japa? :-)

7. 48 Ladyhawke
    May 10, 2012 at 3:50 pm

The quintessential Mom

OMG, look at the way FLOTUS is cupping her hands around that little rascals face so tenderly. And the hand on the head of the other whippersnapper with the flower pot. Too cute. I love those photos. And wow, she looks amazing in yellow. Those arms make me want to do a few push-ups right now.

8. 49 sherijr
    May 10, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Some pictures of POTUS & FLOTUS just tear me up right away.. the above pictures of FLOTUS just did me in.. she is so beautiful & so special.. and all the yellow is really lovely too.

May 10, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Oh my….

10. 70 geeja
    May 10, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Ok since yesterday I have turned into a little crybaby. Seeing this man (and his wife)interact with people from all ages and all walks of life effortlessly is so heartwarming. I hope I get to see AF1 tonight! Iam going to salute it!

11. 71 donna dem 4 obama
    May 10, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Gov. Gregoire loves herself some PBO ;)

12. 79 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    May 10, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Juxtaposing the messages in these two tweets is intentional. The plot has unfolded in the most dangerous conduct any Congress has ever displayed and irrespective of their intentions and actions our President has saved America (and the world) from a Great Depression and so much more and, yet again yesterday, made history by advancing human rights.

Remarkable, to say the least.

And, the contrast with #BULLYMitt could not be starker …

#AmericaThisIsNotATest

#PRESSON

13. 81 daisydem
    May 10, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I love all the pictures, our First Lady and Dr. Jill Biden in yellow, so good, so beautiful, and the children, but that picture of Governor Gregoire greeting our President makes me tear up. The way she is holding his shoulders, and looking into his eyes, it is like she is saying, Welcome Dear Dear President to my state, or something. I see pure love and gratitude in that pose. Does anyone else?

May 10, 2012 at 3:54 pm

FLOTUS & SLOTUS look gorgeous! Very springlike.

15. 85 GGail
    May 10, 2012 at 3:54 pm

First Lady Michelle is so beautiful and her inner glow just lights up a room. First Grandmother is looking good too. And I can’t leave out Mrs. Biden. A rainbow of beauty. Thank you Chipsticks :-)

16. 88 overseasgranny
    May 10, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I could handle lots of Seattle pictures, Chips. That’s my voting home town.

May 10, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Our Military families just love their First and Second Ladies. They know that they’re in good hands – very good hands.

18. 102 Linda
    May 10, 2012 at 4:00 pm

The Boston Globe
    Romney to limit gay panel activities
    Is upset that his name is used to tout parade

By Andrea Estes, Globe Staff | May 12, 2006

Angered that his name appeared on a press release touting a gay pride parade, Governor Mitt Romney moved yesterday to curtail the activities of a 14-year-old advisory commission on gay and lesbian youth.

The commission chairwoman, Kathleen M. Henry, said she was called yesterday by Beth Myers, the governor’s chief of staff, who told her that the governor planned to issue an executive order ”revoking our existence” and creating another youth commission whose purview would be all of the state’s youth, not just gays and lesbians. The commission would have all new members, she said.

But a few hours later, Myers called again, Henry said, and said the governor had switched course.

”He changed his mind,” said Henry, who heads a 14-member panel. ”We inundated them with outrage. It just plumed everywhere.”

Romney spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom insisted that the governor’s office received no such calls from gay rights activists, but opted against abolishing the commission because ”the governor thought that was too harsh.”

”Instead, we’re directing the commission not to use taxpayer money for parades and parties and to refocus their resources on counseling and the development of strategies for the prevention of violence and suicide,” Fehrnstrom said. ”That is in keeping with the original mission of the commission.”

Commission backers insisted that Romney’s ban on use of taxpayer money for parades was hollow because private money pays for those events.

• 103 theo67
      May 10, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Just imagine that man with all the power of the Presidency? He’s very impulsive and rash. Krystal Ball said something similar the other day, saying that Romney has no ability to measure himself. He always goes just a little too far.

May 10, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Romney tries to get an old classmate to defend his assault on a gay student, yet Romney says he doesn’t remember the incident.

One of Mitt Romney’s closest friends and a high school classmate has been asked by the Romney campaign to come out and offer “supporting remarks” in defense of the candidate following a Washington Post article that described pranks at the Cranbrook School in the 1960s that focused on a student who was “presumed” to be gay. Romney has denied that the pranks were targeted.

White, in an interview with ABC News, said that he is “still debating” whether he will help the campaign, remarking, “It’s been a long time since we’ve been pals.” While the Post reports White as having “long been bothered” by the haircutting incident,”

One former classmate and old friend of Romney’s – who refused to be identified by name – said there are “a lot of guys” who went to Cranbrook who have “really negative memories” of Romney’s behavior in the dorms, behavior this classmate describes as “evil” and “like Lord of the Flies.”

The classmate believes Romney is lying when he claims to not remember it.
    “It makes these fellows [who have owned up to it] very remorseful. For [Romney] not to remember it? It doesn’t ring true. How could the fellow with the scissors forget it?” the former classmate said.

20. May 10, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I’m getting a toothache looking at all these pictures. What a great day for PBO and for us.

May 10, 2012 at 4:06 pm

May 10, 2012 at 4:13 pm

wonkette’s takedown of that tundra twit’s spawn. Gawd what a family.

• 109 TrumpDog
      May 10, 2012 at 4:27 pm

OMG the comments are HILARIOUS!

• 110 amk for obama
        May 10, 2012 at 4:36 pm

This one particularly

Sarah’s mother was pregnant when she got married, Sarah’s sister was pregnant when she got married, Sarah was pregnant when she got married, Bristol was pregnant before marriage and Track’s wife was pregnant when she got married. STFU on any opinion on “traditional marriage”

• 111 TrumpDog
      May 10, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Next week on Irrelevant Dingbats In Opposite World, Casey Anthony explains the importance of being a breastfeeding stay-at-home mom

May 10, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Willard has gotten this huge diversecrowd all pumped and fired up – ready to go!

24. 114 57andfemale
    May 10, 2012 at 4:17 pm

It’s just too easy today:

25. May 10, 2012 at 4:20 pm

A supporter of US President Barack Obama holds a placard on May 10, 2012 near a private residence where Obama was attending a campaign fundraiser in Seattle.

May 10, 2012 at 4:20 pm

27. 119 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    May 10, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Daily Reminder ….

And many others received their personal reminder, as well … ;)

#PRESSON

May 10, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I’ve noticed a deluge of new stories on Twitter about Romney and anti-LGBT, since PBO announced his support of gay marriage. Were they just waiting for an opportune time to unleash Willard’s sins of the past?

• May 10, 2012 at 4:35 pm

They are not going to let him track back to the middle. They’re going to release stuff like a capsule of slow release medicine. Drip, drip, drip, like torture. Rmoney don’t know what’s going to come out next. PBO won’t let him get his bearing and by the time of the Repub convention, they’ll be seeing PBO lurking in every corner in the place.

• 123 Liberal Librarian
      May 10, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Oh, you just think Obama plays 11-dimensional chess. Obot!

29. May 10, 2012 at 4:23 pm

First Lady Michelle Obama assembles Mother’s Day packages that deployed US troops have requested to be sent to their mothers and wives at home as part of a Joining Forces service event with spouses of members of Congress at the Naval Observatory in Washington, DC, May 10, 2012.

30. 126 57andfemale
    May 10, 2012 at 4:24 pm

the daughter of a good friend is 17. She is a good liberal ( I take a little credit for that). Her mother has her degree in women’s studies, her dad is a conservative Catholic. I am laughing at loud at her Facebook posts today on all things liberal and pro-Obama and same sex marriage.

May 10, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Pops must be pizzed.

• 128 57andfemale
        May 10, 2012 at 7:17 pm

he’s a jackass. He fashions himself a libertarian but his arthritic wife and his 75 year old dad shovel the snow, cut the lawn. He takes no responsibility for anything. Like all Republicans. He thinks it’s peer pressure with her but it’s actually her mother and I. He’s seriously pissed.

31. May 10, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I really hope there is a place in the Obama cabinet for Governor Gregoire when she retires. Folks, we MUST control the Senate so we can confirm reasonable people to replace people like SOS Clinton in 2013.

• May 10, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Sometimes I dream about having the House back with Nancy Smash and more votes in the Senate. Oh, my. Life would be so much more interesting and grand.

32. May 10, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Hey guys, Psycho Mitt is having a fundraiser in Kansas City tonight. His haul? $200K.

PBO in LA tonight. His haul will be $16M.

YEAH, baby.

33. 133 Liberal Librarian
    May 10, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Well, this is interesting. A few days ago, TPM’s poll tracker had Romney winning Indies by 7%. Today it’s down to 3%.

• 134 Dakota
      May 10, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Hey LL. Just wanted to take a moment to tell you how much I love and respect librarians. First of all, my brother was a librarian for years. I guess he still is one of sorts, but on a different level. Anyway, when he was studying for his masters, the librarians (whose average age was about 75) would cover for him while he would go home to study. If I called him they’d tell me that he was in the stock room or something like that. I’d tell them to tell him his sister called and they’d lower their voice and say to try him at home. To this day he’ll tell you that if it wasn’t for those ladies he’d never have gotten his masters.

When I was a kid, I had these mood swings…nothing really clinical, but I didn’t want to deal with people. I’d skip school and go to the library. I did that a lot. The librarian knew full well that I should have been in school, but she never said a word. I guess she figured it was better that I was at there than in the streets. Every once in a while she’d recommend a book she liked or tell me a story about how much she loved reading as a kid. Mind you, this was at time when many people would not have been that tolerant of a black kid hanging out in the library all day. I often think of that librarian and send out vibes thanking her for kindness and encouragement.

• 135 Liberal Librarian
        May 10, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Oh Dakota, that made me choke up. It took me a while to find my perfect job. I was toiling in telecom and hating it. I finally decided that if I didn’t do something I’d end up in a bad place. So I went and got my masters. I’ve always loved libraries, and was going to do it right after university, but my self-consciousness over my stutter prevented me. Now I’m on medication, my stutter is more or less gone, and I adore my job, and helping people get what they need.

• 136 vitaminlover
        May 10, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Dakota, I love this story. How sweet!!

34. May 10, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Woot, Champ has sure grown!!

First Lady Michelle Obama and Jill Biden, wife of US Vice President Joe Biden, and their dog Champ, arrive to help assemble Mother’s Day packages that deployed US troops have requested to be sent to their mothers and wives at home as part of a Joining Forces service event with spouses of members of Congress at the Naval Observatory in Washington, DC, May 10, 2012.

35. 148 L3
    May 10, 2012 at 4:34 pm

It is never good or smart to make blanket statements about entire groups of people. I am an AA and I am not against equality for all. I am, however, against the prospect of losing an election over the fallout from a statement that could just as easily be made after a successful re-election campaign. If PBO is not re-elected, there will be no need to worry about equality for all because the concept will cease to exist under a Romney presidency.

• 149 Liberal Librarian
      May 10, 2012 at 4:42 pm

L3, like you, I was worried as well. Today I’m not worried at all. I can’t believe that the stories coming out about Romney’s bullying were coincidental. PBO is a master of political jiu jitsu. And he’s lethal. And so far all the stories I’ve read indicate that at most it’ll be a wash in votes, and may in fact help PBO in November, and down-ticket Dems. Keep the faith. It’ll be a long six months.

• 150 L3
        May 10, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Hi LL. My comment was in response to a tweet I read earlier today. I felt something had to be said. My statement is intentionally general so as not to cause a conflagration.

• 151 Liberal Librarian
          May 10, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Oh, I understand. AA’s have every right to be incensed that they get blamed for Prop 8 and Amendment 1. When we were talking about yesterday’s events this morning before the library opened, our two AA ladies who were working today were more than pissed that black folk get blamed by some liberal whites for the passage of anti-gay marriage laws, and were even more incensed at the questioning that PBO’s statement yesterday would drive them away from him. AA’s are a crucial pillar of the new Democratic coalition; piss them off at our peril.

• 152 L3
            May 10, 2012 at 5:33 pm

We’re 12% of the population, we’re not the ones putting these initiatives on the ballot and we’re no more likely to be against gay marriage than the general population. The reason we’re being blamed is because the president happens to be black so for those liberal and gay whites who hate PBO for racial reasons it’s their way, albeit lazy, of explaining PBO’s previous position on gay marriage. And if they think PBO’s endorsing gay marriage will change the views of AAs who don’t believe in it, they need to think again. The effect will be marginal at best. We are more than capable of separating our support for PBO as president from our support of gay marriage. That will be easy.

• 153 nathkatun7
            May 11, 2012 at 12:23 am

LL, I agree with you and L3! Like L3 I am an AA who is not religious at all. Like L3 I strongly support the rights of gay people. I also strongly support the right of gays to marry. While I recognize the right of religious people to voice their views about homosexuality, my position is that while religion plays an important part in marriage, ultimately marriage is sanctioned by the state. There are many instances where judges, and not the pastors/priests, perform marriages. Those marriages are just as legitimate as marriages that take part in churches and other religious houses of worship.

Like L3 I was worried –and still I am — at the political consequences of the President’s public statement which I thought was not really necessary given his record on advancing gay rights. Besides, I don’t recall JFK and LBJ being asked to state their views on interracial marriages. If LBJ in 1964 had come out publicly and stated that he was for interracial marriage I am convinced that his chances of being re-elected would have diminished. I am also tired of loudmouth gay activists who blame blacks for these anti SSM initiatives and who treat the President as their whipping boy. Since 1960, African Americans have been the most loyal Democrats. Their votes for white Democratic candidates, from JFK to Al Gore, have never been below 80%. That includes loosing candidates abandoned by white groups who call themselves Democrats. The same could not be said of any other segments of the Democratic coalition. The way some of the so called white progressives have treated this historic first Black President has been, to put it mildly, quite shameful. Believe me many of us are not likely to quickly forget this.

• 154 L3
              May 11, 2012 at 7:56 am

Agreed. Most black people, including myself have long memories and you’re right nathkatun7, the disrespect of this President by both the left and right will not be forgotten.

• 155 nathkatun7
                May 14, 2012 at 4:42 am

Indeed, L3! No president, at least in my lifetime, has been subjected to so much open disrespect from both the left and the right. And at 66, I have lived under several presidents–ten to be exact — including one who resigned and one who was impeached by the House of Representatives.

• May 10, 2012 at 4:46 pm

This won’t cost the election, the other way around IMO. And judging from the way the Obama campaign is moving today – They feel the same.

• 157 Liberal Librarian
        May 10, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Again, I stand in awe of PBO’s political acumen. I know, I should just take it for granted. But then there are days like today that remind me that his is a man who knows exactly what to do and when to do it. Basically, fuck with him at your own peril.

• 159 sherijr
      May 10, 2012 at 4:57 pm

L3 we’re going to win, and we’re going to win big.. we’re going to take all the nonsense thrown at us and we’re going to fight hard. And this announcement by POTUS yesterday IS going to bring us all together.. it may take time and work.. but its going to be that way.

• 160 GGail
      May 10, 2012 at 5:06 pm

L3, I agree with you. As an AA, I was very upset to hear over and over yesterday that blacks don’t approve of same sex marriage. Did anyone bother to ask ME? Please don’t paint the whole race with one broad stroke.

• 161 Dakota
        May 10, 2012 at 5:30 pm

That’s right Gail. I gots absolutely NOTHING in common with the likes of Herman Cain or Allen West, who have forgotten the enormity of the sacrfice that was made in order for their sorry asses to achieve in this country. Don’t even get me started.

• 162 theo67
      May 10, 2012 at 6:37 pm

L3 – since the statement is out, I wouldn’t worry too much about the “what if” anymore. It’s out. People now need to be educated about looking at everything, instead of one thing, because there’s so much at stake.

The truth is, the statement was such a simple, no nonsense statement. “I believe that same sex couples should be able to get married”. So common sense based, that it made me wonder why anyone is on the other side of that statement trying to deny people basic rights to love each other and show their commitment. For those with religious objections, let the people involved take ownership of their own actions – it’s not your job. Just as each other individual will be accountable for their own actions.

The President did what was right for himself. He’s not hiding anything. And people will vote for or against him with their eyes wide open. We just have to make sure their eyes stay as wide open as they can possibly be.

36. 163 pinkbunny92
    May 10, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Wow! I love how Our BEAUTIFUL First Lady is always thinking of other mothers!! I love this tradition of having a mother’s day event for military moms.

I can’t imagine Ann Romney doing anything remotely as generous. She comes across as a cold, out-of-touch, selfish bitch. I know we shouldn’t pick on spouses, but I’ve had it with the right being so disgusting and despicable toward the First Family, I quite frankly, don’t give a shit anymore about being nice to the GOP.

I absolutely can’t stand the entire Romney family. Especially that phony etch-a-sketch liar, Mitt Romney! Ugh!

May 10, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Sad thing happened today. newtgangrichcampaign followed me at twitter. Trolling the twitter for some gullibles. The fucker never gives up, does he ?

38. 175 sherijr
    May 10, 2012 at 4:45 pm

that picture of the Governor greeting POTUS looks like a loving mother welcoming her son home..

39. 183 sherijr
    May 10, 2012 at 4:49 pm

does anyone know if his speech at the Paramount will be streamed?

May 10, 2012 at 4:56 pm

May 10, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Chips can you delete this post – I meant to post a different tweet – but not this one. It’s a duplicate. Thanks!!1

May 10, 2012 at 4:58 pm

So Romney now apologizes – after claiming to not remember doing any of those things.

• May 10, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Presumptive US Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney has apologised for school “pranks” after a report he bullied a classmate thought to be gay.

The Washington Post reported that in 1965 Mr Romney held down a younger student and cut off his hair.

Mr Romney said that he did not remember the incident, but apologised for “hijinks and pranks” that “may have gone too far”.

A campaign spokeswoman called the report “exaggerated and off-base”.

The Post interviewed five former classmates of Mr Romney about his time as a student at the Cranbrook School outside of Detroit, Michigan.

The classmates said Mr Romney objected to a younger student’s bleached blond, longer hair.

According to the report the young man, John Lauber, was “perpetually teased for his nonconformity and presumed homosexuality”.

“I don’t remember that incident,” Mr Romney told Fox News during a radio interview.

“I certainly don’t believe that I thought the fellow was homosexual. That was the furthest thing from our minds back in the 1960s, so that was not the case.”

Mr Lauber died in 2004, according to the Post.

• 197 Liberal Librarian
      May 10, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Too effing late. The damage has been done.

42. 198 Linda
    May 10, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Mitt ” Scissorhands ” Romney

43. May 10, 2012 at 5:06 pm

rep. Barney Frank and a Rev from the religious right wing. He said that it’s the parent’s fault if their child is gay. Barnie jumped in by saying he’s going to stick up for Dick Cheney whose daughter is gay. He said Dick Cheney is as smart and biblical as the good Rev is.

44. May 10, 2012 at 5:08 pm