May

Rise and Shine

President Obama waves from his motorcade on Laurel Canyon Boulevard in Studio City, May 10

Daily News: …. Tama Winograd, a member of Studio City/NoHo/Valley Village for Obama, had entered a drawing by the campaign in hopes of winning entry to the fundraiser.

She didn’t win, so instead she held a ValleyForObama.com sign along Obama’s motorcade route on Laurel Canyon Boulevard.

“I would’ve fainted seeing George Clooney and the president at the same time,” said Winograd, a Valley Village resident. “I would’ve been a puddle of goo.” :lol:

More here

Text of the President’s remarks at the George Clooney fundraiser here

People wait for President Barack Obama’s motorcade in Los Angeles, May 10. Obama was attending a fundraiser at actor George Clooney’s home

Cagle

Thanks Squarepeg

OFA

Greg Sargent: The Romney campaign and some on the right are having a grand old time blasting Obama for supposedly saying late yesterday that he ”forgot” about the recession. Romney spokesperson Andrea Saul claims Obama has “now admitted that he’s forgotten about the recession.”

This is an absurd distortion. But it’s worth dwelling on, because it says an enormous amount about what this presidential camapign is all about.

Here’s Obama’s actual quote: “It was a house of cards, and it collapsed in the most destructive worst crisis that we’ve seen since the great depression. And sometimes people forget the magnitude of it , you know? And you saw some of that I think in the video that was shown. Sometimes I forget. In the last six months of 2008, while we were campaigning, nearly three million of our neighbors lost their jobs. Eight hundred thousand lost their jobs in the month that I took office. And it was tough. But the American people proved they were tougher.”

…. What Obama actually said, of course, is that sometimes he forgets about the magnitude of the crisis that hit before he took office and continued into the early months of his term. The irony here is really rich: It’s actually the Romney campaign that is heavily invested in getting voters to forget the magnitude of the crisis Obama inherited.

More here

CNN link

Glenn Kessler (The Fact Checker): Mitt Romney’s claim of credit for the auto industry turnaround…. What should we do when a politician keeps repeating a Pinocchio-laden claim — or even makes its worse?

….. Given the likelihood that discredited claims will be repeated — often — in this election cycle, we are going launch a new category called “repeat offender.” We still have to create a graphic, but in the meantime we are going to increase Romney’s Pinocchio rating for his auto bailout claims from Two to Three Pinocchios.

Romney has been consistent on his position that a managed bankruptcy was the best course of action. But he keeps digging a bigger hole for himself when he claims that the path he recommended — which included no public assistance — would have been successful from the start. Both Presidents Bush and Obama rejected that advice, and there is little evidence the industry would have survived without the breathing room provided by public funds.

More here

Smart ;-)

1:15: President Obama departs Los Angeles, California en route Reno, Nevada.

2:30: Arrives in Reno.

2:50: Meets with a local family.

3:10: Delivers remarks pushing Congress to act on the ‘To Do List’.

3:50: Departs Reno, NV en route Joint Base Andrews.

8:25: Arrives at the White House.

Michelle Obama will deliver the commencement address to graduates of Virginia Tech today – CNN have it listed for 12:0 ET

CNN live streaming

Virginia Tech

Hey, I remembered, it’s Friday :cool:

Morning everyone ;-)

243 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 5 Pamela
    May 11, 2012 at 9:05 am

Pamelabrown, #1!

2. 8 Suzette
    May 11, 2012 at 9:06 am

Good morning all.
    Congrats on 1st Pamela.

3. 13 magapie
    May 11, 2012 at 9:09 am

Eleventy-eth ?

• May 11, 2012 at 9:11 am

:lol: Morning Magapie!

• 15 magapie
        May 11, 2012 at 9:16 am

Morning to y’all. Off to the C.U. to earn my keep. I put data in fields and other fields get data from…..uuuh…..it’s fascinating. Good to have a nice job in a nice plave though!!! Have a good day folks….

4. 16 Pamela
    May 11, 2012 at 9:09 am

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{CHIPSTICKS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

5. 21 Cheryllou
    May 11, 2012 at 9:10 am

Good morning everyone

6. 22 Suzette
    May 11, 2012 at 9:14 am

Does anyone else think the Republicans are a set of hypocrites on gay rights?

This morning Joe Scar… is there lamenting that the President did not do or say anything momentous because, the States, Dick Cheney and blah, blah were always for gay marriage – but what Joe and the others do not get and still do not get is that no other President of the United States has ever come out while in office and said he believes gays should be able to get married, am I right or did I miss something?

7. May 11, 2012 at 9:23 am

I wouldn’t be able to say goo-goo, but i entered any ways.

May 11, 2012 at 9:24 am

I was over there talking to myself again…I might never be FIRST again:)

snip/

Romney’s actions make up the whole of his character. And in this case, whether he did it or didn’t do it or can’t remember, he should be, today, nothing less than mortified at the idea of anyone doing what his former classmates told the Washington Post he did.

But sensitivity is not Romney’s strong suit. This is the man who, as a Mormon lay leader, according to a New York Times report, showed up at a hospital once to confront and warn a woman against having an abortion — which her doctors had advised her to undergo — when she was being treated for a dangerous blood clot. And this is the same guy who tied his dog in a crate on the roof of the car for hourslong family road trips years ago. Even there, he couldn’t muster any regret. Asked by ABC News anchor Diane Sawyer if he would transport his dog like that again, he chuckled and said, “Certainly not now with the all the attention it’s received.”

Those gardeners? I’m running for office for goodness sakes!

• 30 sabreen60
      May 11, 2012 at 10:43 am

I find it really hard to believe that Mitt doesn’t remember or that 5 guys would lie about it. They were around 18 years old. If you did something really mean to someone in high school like take a pair of scissors and cut their hair while others held that person down, YOU WOULD REMEMBER. Those things stay with you – whether you were on the receiving end on the going end.

Also, I heard on LO’s show that WaPo has been working of this story for weeks and the Romney’s knew about it. Remember when they gave that interview and Ann caught grief for wearing a $1000 t-shirt? Remember how she kept talking about how Mitt was just a wild & crazy guy, while laughing. And how she said he’s still this crazy guy on the inside…hahahahaha. Well all that was an attempt to give some cover for the story they knew would break big time about the assault on his high school classmate. In addition, it’s being reported that Mitt’s campaign asked some guy who was at the school (I think his name was Stu White but definitely am not sure about the name) to defend Mitt and he refused.

9. 33 collegekay
    May 11, 2012 at 9:24 am

FIRST.

May 11, 2012 at 9:26 am

We can already see the next six months in American politics: Tit for tat. Blow for blow. You’re Richie Rich. You’re Jimmy Carter. This is what presidential elections have been about since 1800. The only difference is that we have YouTube instead of the Pony Express, so the noise is louder and more constant.
    But discerning voters need to understand the deep philosophical distinctions between Mitt Romney and Barack Obama even if they don’t lend themselves to campaign slogans or barbs.

Labels such as “conservative” and “liberal” are worn out. “Right-wing” doesn’t fit Romney, who describes himself as “severely conservative” but isn’t a wing nut. “Left-wing” is an inaccurate description of the president, whose most “leftist” initiative — Obamacare — is modeled on plans proposed by those noted Bolsheviks Bob Dole and Howard Baker.
    A more useful distinction may be between venture capitalists and human capitalists.

11. May 11, 2012 at 9:29 am

Just added this to the post – Michelle Obama will deliver the commencement address to graduates of Virginia Tech today, CNN have it listed for 12:0 ET but will check to see if that’s right, I don’t trust their flippin’ schedule! Added links to the post.

12. 43 relellit
    May 11, 2012 at 9:31 am

Good morning Chips and everyone else.

Can someone help me with this?

Is it true President Obama could put an end to preventing the interest on new Stafford guaranteed student loans from rising on July 1 from 3.4% to 6.8% with a simple order to his Education Secretary Arne Duncan? What kind of authority does Arne Duncan have to do this?

• May 11, 2012 at 9:35 am

Morning relellit – edited that, sorry, no Firebagger links here! Have a great day.

• 45 relellit
        May 11, 2012 at 10:10 am

I’m still learning. Didn’t mean any harm. I just don’t understand how Arne duncan can solve the problem.

• May 11, 2012 at 9:41 am

No! Congress is in charge of anything to do with Money.

• 47 Don
      May 11, 2012 at 9:41 am

Why don’t you take your bullshit troll concerns somewhere else.

• May 11, 2012 at 9:47 am

Don, relellit is not a troll, she’s been on the blog for ages. I only edited because I just don’t want PBO-hating Firebagger sites linked here.

• 49 57andfemale
          May 11, 2012 at 9:50 am

I hear ya. I actually clicked on The Nation this morning. I’m going to take a bath in bleach.

It was so depressing. I need to shake it off since it’s too early to have a margarita.

• May 11, 2012 at 9:54 am

“I need to shake it off since it’s too early to have a margarita.”
            :lol:

• 51 cindysweatt
            May 11, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Enlighten me on the Nation? Our team is using a subscription as an identifier to register voters.

• 52 57andfemale
              May 11, 2012 at 2:02 pm

The Nation has been a progressive beacon for over 100 years. I have been reading it my entire life and while it’s been easy to boycott new kids on the block like dkos or tpm, The Nation is a progressive institution. I put up with their PL stuff aftrr PBO got elected. I started to ignore the emails.

I could not ignore the article by Eric (?) Kim where PBO ‘s statement wasn’t enough until he pushes harder, for more, right now. PBO was deficient. There was some pushback but the comments were overwhelmingly horrific. They care more about personal affirmation than they do progress, no matter what the destructive cost to real people if PBO loses this election.

• 53 57andfemale
              May 11, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Hit send too early. Because I want everyone to make their own decision. The idea of The Nation not existing would be tragic. They are PL and I can’t read them right now. I’m not sure if they are helping or hindering. People have to make their own choices.

• 54 Puddin'
                May 11, 2012 at 6:34 pm

57and female I am with you…I stopped reading The Nation awhile back…and since Melissa Harris Perry has her own show I didn’t see the need to continue to get upset The Nation anymore (well for now at least).

• 55 57andfemale
                  May 11, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Chris Hayes, Eric Altermann. I hadn’t seen Eric Altermann much until a few weeks ago, and he’s PL all the way. The rigidity with which they defy the damage they do is frankly astounding to me. It goes against everything that liberalism means. I cannot abide people living in comfort who ignore the damage they can inflict with rigid views, from any persuasion. But the left should know better.

• 56 Don
          May 11, 2012 at 9:56 am

I apologize to relellit and to you, I went overboard, please accept my apology.

• May 11, 2012 at 10:07 am

No worries at all Don, I lose my head at least 86 times a day – usually here :oops:

• 58 relellit
            May 11, 2012 at 10:16 am

Don no problem your apology is accepted. I am an Obamabot. I am very proud of my fellow Chicagoan. I saw this online and got so mad. I trust the professionals here since I’m not one.

• 59 utaustinliberal
      May 11, 2012 at 9:45 am

Nope. Congress passed a law reducing those loan rates. Congress is the one with the power to stop the interest rates from hiking up. This is not in Pres. Obama’s jurisdiction. If it was, he would have already issued an executive order as part of his ‘We Can’t Wait’ campaign.

• 60 relellit
        May 11, 2012 at 10:20 am

utaustinliberal
        I thought the same thing; but since I’m no attornery I firgued this was another BS story from a far out lefty who thinks s/he knows more than our President.

• 61 L3
      May 11, 2012 at 9:46 am

If that were true, I’m sure he’d do it.

• 62 relellit
        May 11, 2012 at 10:24 am

L3

I thought the same. If it were true; I can say with certainty President Obama would do it because he cares. Unless, there was some type of other condition.

Thank you everyone.

• 63 nathkatun7
      May 11, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Absolutely not true! The President cannot issue an oder to overturn a law passed by Congress. Only Congress can do that. I used to think that ignorance was the monopoly of the far right, but lately the so called purity progressives have shown that they are just as capable of peddling ignorance as the right wingers.

13. 64 Ladyhawke
    May 11, 2012 at 9:35 am

JP Morgan Loses $2 Billion in Massive Failed Effort to Exploit Volcker Rule Loophole

By Matthew Yglesias

• 65 utaustinliberal
      May 11, 2012 at 9:49 am

Jamie Dimon thought he was smarter than Pres. Obama. I heard this news yesterday. In trying to exploit the rules, they made a huge gaffe that cost them $2B in market trading losses in Q1 and could take an additional $1B to fix. Plus, the numbers and losses for Q2 are expected to be volatile. When Wall Street Reform was going into place and after it had gone into place, I saw Dimon all over the airwaves saying the derivatives market could take care of itself, that Pres. Obama was overcorrecting, that the regulations were an overkill, behaving as though he was smarter than Pres. Obama when it came to issues such as protecting America and the world from another financial meltdown.

Well, hubris goeth before a fall. How’s that humble pie feeling now Jamie? You arrogant twerp.

• May 11, 2012 at 9:57 am

And All Banks ate against Volcjer Rule, which is just coming online.
        Question-? Did Jamie Dimon jump the Gun, because of the Volcker Rule?
        Did he think he could bend rules one more time before that rule came online?
        Of course he did?

• May 11, 2012 at 9:59 am

Lawdy,lawd that Jamie Dimon is some businessman.

14. May 11, 2012 at 9:36 am

Good article Desertflower. Thanks for the link.

May 11, 2012 at 9:37 am
  16. May 11, 2012 at 9:39 am

My Sister works at the Public Library, in Cearwater, Fl. Well, they had a Union Meeting last night, and word has it, they want to Privatize all the Libraries in Florida, State Parks and Rec Centers!
    Speechless!

May 11, 2012 at 9:45 am

Of course they do! Those folks in FL better be paying attention! My son graduates from hs shortly, and my parents are coming out….they live in FL…I WILL be having that conversation with my dad!!!!

17. 82 TrumpDog
    May 11, 2012 at 9:44 am

The “Mitt Gets Worse” video is good.
    I like the LGBT poster. Too cool.

18. 83 Squarepeg
    May 11, 2012 at 9:44 am

Very nice cartoon

19. 88 Don
    May 11, 2012 at 9:45 am

Chips, you can ban me if you want to. But I don’t come here to hear complaints about President Obama. People know goddamn well what he’s up against, and if some people want to come here and ask stupid ass questions, then they should get a stupid ass reply.

• May 11, 2012 at 9:51 am

Don, why would I ban you?! All I’ll ask is that you be a little politer to regulars like relellit ;-)

• 91 relellit
          May 11, 2012 at 10:34 am

Don, let me make myself clear. I wanted to challege the guy with facts who took me to that link. I searched and couldn’t find anything.That was why I asked. Being a Chicagoan, I know my ex-senator and President’s heart. But, like I said; I thought perhaps there was a restriction/ condition that had to be worked out first. Or the President was waiting for the right time to drop the hammer.

You’re okay with me Don. That link ran my blood pressure up too.

• 92 57andfemale
            May 11, 2012 at 11:02 am

Hi, fellow Chicagoan!

I actually appreciate your asking the question. What the firebaggers have done is put out the notion that every issue can be handled through executive order, but they are more skillful than that. They make it seem like they have facts to support it. I hear it about closing Gitmo. When you say that Congress refuses to fund the closing despite the fact this PBO has NEVER wavered from wanting it closed, they go through this song and dance that money can be shuffled once the ‘executive order’ is signed. I’ve heard it about some other issues as well, and now the lie about the student loans. This is now an orchestrated, underhanded tactic, meant to fool their followers that all things can be done by King Obama through executive fiat.

I did not realize it was an orchestrated effort until you brought up this up today, so it is something we need to be aware of.

To the dismay of some here, I will occasionally link to something at dKos. However I only link to stuff that I find really positive and useful. There was a diary yesterday on how votes will actually break down on marriage equality and it was really hopeful and useful, so I linked to it. I will always link to Jill Klaussen and the Winning Words Project, who gives phenomenally good information on how to progressively write tweets and effectively frame our message. If possible, before I link to dKos I will see if I can find independent information to link to instead. That being said, good diarists need to know that we support them. It’s tough out there.

So I, for one, am grateful for you asking the question. I also understand and appreciate Chips not allowing links to FDL, which has no redeeming qualities ever. They are worse than the teabaggers in my mind, because they are misusing progressives for their deranged fantasies and are complicit in helping to destroy this country. Which is what I told The Nation this morning and then unsubscribed. I get their emails and usually ignore them, but the b.s. I read today was more than I could stomach.

• 93 relellit
              May 11, 2012 at 11:37 am

Hello fellow Chicagoan;

Jane Hamster is a psuedo T-bagger aka firebaagger. Look at who she and Glenzilla hang out with. I rememeber the links posted here about her, the Dragon Lady Ariana, and Glenzilla. I also saw those expense accounts, cancelled Norquist checks, and pictures of them hanging with their uber rightwing friends. Long before I found the Obama Diary I stopped giving them a click; especially FDL.

We don’t have to discuss this and I really don’t mean any harm. I just find it strange Glenzilla hasn’t made a peep about Trayvon Martin. Yet, he is so concerned about justice ; especially Al Awaki and his son. What a FAKE he is. I can’t stand that troll.

• 94 57andfemale
                May 11, 2012 at 11:54 am

GG is delusional. Truly. Hamster is a crook. I get comfortable here and forget the slime that’s out there.

May 11, 2012 at 9:46 am

G’morning Chips, TOD, lurkers and all. Congrats PamelaBrown on #1

21. May 11, 2012 at 9:47 am

OFA gets involved in Wisconsin-

The next election here in Wisconsin is coming up on June 5th — and it’s important to make sure your voice is heard.

For the last year and a half, Governor Walker has divided Wisconsin — siding with big corporations and the super-rich at the expense of working, middle-class families. He’s broken our trust in state government: Too many Wisconsin families are out of work, students face crowded classrooms, and working men and women will be hurt by cuts to health care funding.

We can do better. Together, we’ll work to elect Tom Barrett, who will stand up for all Wisconsinites as governor — and that starts with getting the word out now about what’s at stake on June 5th.

Warning- Huff puff…

22. May 11, 2012 at 9:48 am

What day is it? It’s Friday! Good morning everyone!

• May 11, 2012 at 9:54 am

Ahem CTGirl??? How about congratulating me for remembering what day it is????

• May 11, 2012 at 10:15 am

I am so proud of you! :-).

Have you found pics of those 2 gorgeous guys from last night’s dinner ? Remember to include the naughty mats in your post :-). You know how the ladies here get (not me but them). Lol!

• May 11, 2012 at 10:27 am

Thank you CTGirl, feeling very proud of myself too. No pics yet, but it’s probably just as well, there’d be a mass outbreak of fainting around here :lol: These will have to keep us going:

• May 11, 2012 at 10:32 am

That 2nd pic is a keeper :-)

May 11, 2012 at 10:38 am

OMG. Good thing I’m getting ready to take a shower. This will carry me through my day:)

• 108 PoliticalJunkessa
            May 11, 2012 at 10:48 am

So, I’m assuming that the third pic is the one PBO was referring to — the one used for the HOPE posters. Hilarious that George was photoshopped out of it. They look so young in the second pic. It’s nice to see such a good, long, consistent friendship between these two mega-watt men.

• May 11, 2012 at 10:53 am

Hiya PJ, I never realised that was the photo that the Hope poster was based on – cool!

• 110 PoliticalJunkessa
                May 11, 2012 at 11:01 am

Well I’m just trying to connect the dots, Chips. In PBO’s remarks last night, he mentioned that the iconic HOPE poster was from an event where he and George were on a Darfur panel and that George had been photoshopped out. PBO’s positioning in this pic (and his age) looks about right…. ;-).

• 111 theo67
            May 11, 2012 at 12:09 pm

From the transcript of the speech last night, that last picture is the one from the “Hope” poster. Wow. I love the second one especially. They’re nearly the same age, too. Very ambitious age group.

• 112 CEB
            May 11, 2012 at 12:21 pm

My, my, my.

• 113 TrumpDog
            May 11, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Thanks for posting the “HOPE” pic w/ Clooney. Again, I had no clue that that was where the pic was taken from. Amazing.

• 114 globalcitizenlinda
              May 12, 2012 at 8:22 am

that indeed was the main source of the Hope Poster of PBO. If you followed the case between the artist and AP

23. 115 L3
    May 11, 2012 at 9:50 am

That dog looks like he’s thinking, “Do you think he brought Bo?”

• May 11, 2012 at 9:52 am

Bo is great! I know when I have a bad Day, I come Home and give my Black Lab a hug. It helps!

• May 11, 2012 at 10:05 am

I noticed that cute doggie right away—–a friend of Bo’s no doubt——a Dog For Obama, as are all smart dogs.
      Even though the Horrible Knoller tried to make PBO spending extra time at the Clooney festivities a bad thing, I was happy thinking that he must have been having a fun time, enjoying himself with friends and supporters away from the exasperating atmosphere in D.C.

• 118 L3
        May 11, 2012 at 10:13 am

It was a dumb and completely tone-deaf thing for Knoller to say because only a rude, ungrateful person (i.e. Williard) would rush out of an event where people are contributing $12-15 million dollars for your campaign. You have to stay longer than 30 minutes whether you’d want to or not. It’s just the polite thing to do and I’m sure PBO would much rather spend his time mingling with George and friends rather than wasting his time dealing with the dumb press and the even dumber GOP.

24. May 11, 2012 at 10:00 am

Can you start a Snark Todd?

25. 121 Don
    May 11, 2012 at 10:06 am

So, another one of these Masters of the Universe had his ass handed to him through the derivatives market to the tune of 2 billion dollars, nice, a fool and his money.

26. 123 57andfemale
    May 11, 2012 at 10:09 am

teh stupid is breathtaking:

From delving for a short minute into the absurdity at The Nation, then clicking on Washingtom Monthly to see the absurdity from the other side — I am beyond astounded.

My two good lesbian friends have yet to acknowledge PBO’s historic statement.

It’s going to be a long campaign season. I need to work today (a lot!) but then I am channeling my energy into the campaign. Every time I feel myself falling into despair I am going to do something concrete and positive to help stop this insanity, reelect my President and retake Congress.

• May 11, 2012 at 10:34 am

I still have hope, you can’t even say the word gay in front of my elderly dad. He told me yesterday he doesn’t care what “The Rock” (as he calls him) postion is on marriage equality, he’s voting for him any ways. I think I may have some work to do on other family members though. The many people in the AA community have evolved on marriage equality right along with the President. In 2004 Michigan added a amendment to it’s constitution banning gay marriage. In 2010 Detroit elected a openly gay city council president. Fired up and Ready to Go!!!

• 125 sherijr
        May 11, 2012 at 11:08 am

Yes.. evolving is something I believe everyone should have the chance to do. I’ve told this story once before: When I was canvassing in 2008 I knocked on the door of a very young woman w/ 3 kids who lived w/ her husband & in-laws.. she stated she might vote for Obama.. but her family was against him because he would ‘legalize gay marriage’. I told her.. he might – but so what? Seriously WHO in our country has ever stood long for not having equal rights? This is a battle that will be fought, I told her, no matter who is President.. because we all expect and will fight for our equal rights. For her that rang true also.. and she and I had a very nice chat and I still hope that she ended up voting for POTUS.

• 126 57andfemale
        May 11, 2012 at 11:12 am

So fired up! Did you see Rev. Al yesterday with the dueling AA ministers? Ends up, the anti-marriage equality guy who wasn’t going to support PBO, didn’t support him in 2008 either!

• 127 theo67
        May 11, 2012 at 12:13 pm

My 72 year old Catholic Dad says he doesn’t know what the big deal is. Why not just let people live their lives – and be accountable for their own actions. I almost fell over.

• 128 L3
      May 11, 2012 at 10:51 am

Eventually you realize that as PBO checks off those things that people claim to be important to them that those things are really secondary to the contempt they have for PBO. They can not be satisfied because they just don’t like him. Maybe it’s racial, ideological, envy; who the hell really knows? It just doesn’t matter what he does or does not do. This is why they always move the goalposts. Their hostility is rooted in the fact that each time one of their issues is addressed they are left with fewer and fewer places to hide or fewer issues to hide behind and that only increases their contempt because it pushes them closer to the day they have to confront themselves with what really bugs them about PBO and they are afraid they won’t like what they discover.

27. May 11, 2012 at 10:10 am

• 130 57andfemale
      May 11, 2012 at 11:16 am

Imagine how the economy would look if the transportation bill was passed………

• 131 theo67
        May 11, 2012 at 12:14 pm

The GOP need to be held accountable for slowing down the recovery and doing everything to obstruct it in order to gain power.

28. May 11, 2012 at 10:14 am

GM Chipsticks. GM TOD! :) Love all the goodies this early morning

• 134 theo67
      May 11, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Those 21% who claim to “have no idea” who’s better just don’t want to acknowledge that President Obama is the only one with a reasonable plan for the global economy. And those US investors claiming that President Obama’s policies have cost jobs need to be asked how the “job losses” they speak of (given the 26 months of consistent job growth) compare to the 700,000 jobs that were lost each month under policies that Romney is advocating. They are full of it.

29. 135 PoliticalJunkessa
    May 11, 2012 at 10:16 am

LOVE the motorcade pics and LOVE my fellow Americans who show up to give my President LOVE! Have a great day, everybody!

30. 136 AJ
    May 11, 2012 at 10:16 am

As Mr. AJ says, Mitt Romney is revealing himself to be Matt Damon’s character in “School Ties”: rich, arrogant, priviledged and a nasty bully. Here is a very short piece that sums it all up, including Mitt’s “apology” :

May 11, 2012 at 10:21 am

Listen up TOD’ers. I hereby call the dibs on all future first posts. You shall mention “reserved for amk” in all your first posts/ by order amk

32. 141 sherijr
    May 11, 2012 at 10:25 am

g’morning and a very beautiful happy happy friday to everyone. Am packing! Sold my house fersure.. now all I need is one to go to.. still looking as the one I’d hoped for went poof rather quickly.

Thank you BWD for transcribing POTUS’ words last night at the Clooney shindig.. I woke up thinking about what a magical night that must have been for all involved.. George & Barack, seriously my two favorite men not related to me- too much handsome for one room ;)

33. May 11, 2012 at 10:29 am

Well good morning all my O ho ho’s!! What a great getting up day once again! Bonnet tip to GGail and Pamela for their up close and personal experience with my guy yesterday (see, I’m not selfish). I listened to Moanin’ Joke this a.m. and was once again, underwhelmed with his sermon from the mount. Today he called himself a top lawyer, a theologian, and a conservative libertarian, all in one hour. Oh well, that just shows us that Lutz hasn’t been able to focus group any effective talking points lately. They’re all over the place.

34. 155 Dakota
    May 11, 2012 at 10:31 am

Dear Chips Darlin’,

I keep getting emails from wordpress with this message: This is an automated message sent by the WordPress.com subscription service. You must confirm your request to subscribe to a WordPress.com site by reading the details below. I know many of the family were having problems with this subscribe/unsubscribe business and I am a little leary. Is this a different issue…should I go ahead and confirm?
    Thanks!

• 156 Pamela
      May 11, 2012 at 10:52 am

Dakota, after I updated once, and listened carefully to all that went on here, I decided to trash any further email notifications. It seems to be working, but on occasion I hit post comment and am told I’m offline, even tho I’m not. Still trying to figure out how to not lose my comment.

• May 11, 2012 at 10:56 am

Oh flip, sorry about this Dakota, so many people have been having problems. Has anyone else got that email???

May 11, 2012 at 10:57 am

I just delete it.

• 159 57andfemale
        May 11, 2012 at 11:19 am

They are hopelessly screwed up but I must say I love being able to see who has commented on my posts in the upper right of the screen so I can continue a conversation with people. This, for me, is far better than email notifications. The only good thing wordpress has done, IMO.

• 161 Dakota
      May 11, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Thanks everyone! I haven’t been having ANY problems with wordpress and I don’t want to start now. I’ll just delete them from now on.

35. 162 pugeretto
    May 11, 2012 at 10:39 am

Happy So-Many-First Friday!! Chipsticks, you really put out grrreat pictures today. TOD is just the best, thanks.Be back later..

36. May 11, 2012 at 10:44 am

Gonna get outside today and enjoy the sun and good 5K run. There’s a couple of squirrels and birdies on my running path that are waiting for the latest news from the PBO front. We high-five each other when there’s good news . After this week, I expect we’ll be chest bumping along the trail.

37. May 11, 2012 at 10:51 am

Ok all you smart ppl. Looks as if the financial reform. Just protected the american ppl. with this jp morgan debacle. They are on their own.

May 11, 2012 at 10:57 am

Barack Obama Teaches Mitt Romney How Humans React When They Do Something Wrong

A highly recommended read especially now that the pox news is on a vengeance hunt.

• 171 Lovepolitics2008
      May 11, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Thanks for the link, amk. I have to say though… On the same page something caught up my attention. An article about an upcoming book of Mr. Edward Klein. O.M.G. The title is “The Amateur”. One excerpt mentioned in the article says that Bill Clinton disrespects the president and wanted Hillary to primary him in 2012. Hillary was asking why risk everything now, she had the option to run in 2016 and, was mentioning “loyally” because she’s member of the cabinet and eats breakfast once a week with the president. And Klein reports that Bill would have said “Loyalty doesn’t exists in politics”.

I’m still shaking after reading this article. No doubt the book will make waves.

I remember feeling very uncomfortable last year when there were all sorts of comments in the press about a primary challenge, or about possibility that Hillary would be put on the ticket as VP . I just had this uncomfortable feeling that behind the scenes the Clinton loyalists were playing dirty. Maybe I was right…

Sorry to bring this up here this morning, but we all better be prepared before the *** hit the fan. A book about the Clintons vs Obama just before the election ? The media will be all over it. God.

• May 11, 2012 at 12:28 pm

This has already been called a total fabrication, totally false. Author Klein has a history of writing dishonest trash including former books about Hillary and the Kennedys which were full of “psychobabble” as they were described. Whether he had a “source” or not—-I doubt it because the passage did not ring true at all—– there are still some who cannot leave the Obama/Clinton thing alone, cannot let it go——and continually try to stir up trouble and divisiveness in the Dem Party. I don’t think this is going to cause much of anything beyond a one day flare-up, if that. It’s not believable.

• 173 theo67
        May 11, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Unless this guy serves breakfast as a butler in either the Secretary of States’ home or the White House, then I take all this with a pinch of salt and a shrug of the shoulders.

That said, I wouldn’t be particularly surprised if Bill actually did beg Hillary to primary the President. First of all, there was a lot of speculation when the Clinton people were all over the airwaves touting that President Obama should get rid of VP Biden and replace him with Hillary Clinton. The noise got so loud that it was deafening, even though the President had already affirmed that he was sticking with Joe – plus, VP Biden has done a fantastic job.

Second, they are political animals, and they do play dirty sometimes. I don’t think the President is oblivious to this, and he’s thick skinned. I do think Hillary values loyalty over all, and I also think that if she’s playing coy about a run for 2016 – then she knows she’ll have the entire Obama team ready to work with her if she sticks with this President and supports him while he’s in office. She will only gain if she does this the right way.

Bill Clinton is an egomaniac. He put his needs over his family’s needs. I wouldn’t put it past him and his cohorts to have plotted behind the President’s back – even though they should know better. And I don’t know that he ever really recovered from the beating he took at the hands of President Obama. But, if he wants his wife to be President one day, then he better tighten his ship and stop leaking information (if that’s what he’s doing) and get behind the President, especially since the President is having to clean up Clinton’s mess. He should just accept the fact that President Obama’s legacy will be bigger than the Clinton legacy – it already is.

39. 174 Linda
    May 11, 2012 at 10:59 am

I can’t find the Chris Matthews segment on MSNBC website ….only the one about the polls….

Did they bury it ?

40. 177 Pamela
    May 11, 2012 at 10:59 am

Okay, everyone. This is very serious. When things got very heated around here recently, for the most part I skimmed over, did not comment, and did not enter the fray, so to speak. BUT, I did see that SUE DUVALL SMITH was very upset, tried hard to stay above board, yet I have not seen her back here for days now. We know she has health concerns, and works hard with the homeless, and her birdies are very precious to her. I am a little worried Sue may have been hurt by some of things that were said. Maybe she is away, or has visitors, and I missed noting that. But maybe not. SUE: if you are here, and you are reading, please post so we know you are okay? Bless you!

• 178 sherijr
      May 11, 2012 at 11:02 am

I missed this, what upset her? I will second your statement.. I hope all is well w/ you Sue and that you’re still with us.. your voice is always appreciated :)

• 179 Pamela
        May 11, 2012 at 11:15 am

It was the discussion over SSM, and the bible not condoning at all. Maybe someone more clever than I am can help you find that thread. I feel like it was near the one with BWD”s letter to PBO. Hugs, have a ton of fun PACKING! :lol:

• 180 sherijr
          May 11, 2012 at 11:19 am

having nooo fun packing at all ;) feeling a tad apprehensive.. but still happy.

I wish her well and hope she comes around as POTUS has.

• 181 PoliticalJunkessa
      May 11, 2012 at 11:03 am

Sue posted yesterday. Said she loves the President, but didn’t agree with him on his gay marriage stance. Said she would be praying for him and gave love to all. Hope to see her posting again soon.

• 182 sherijr
        May 11, 2012 at 11:10 am

Oh I am so sorry to hear this. Yes I really hope she comes around, she is a full hearted person and so kind to everyone, I like to believe that she’ll see the true humanity and goodness of POTUS’ stance.

• 183 Pamela
        May 11, 2012 at 11:12 am

Thank you, PJ, I am on so randomly I know I miss a lot, and seldom have time when I am not so damn tired to go back and read everything. And I never did get a fancy little box which makes me as cool as y’all, so I even miss comments on my own posts. Sue, you will always be part of our family here, we love you. I had better get moving, it is the birthday of the lady I care for, and a good day is ahead, I hope so anyway! Bye everyone, will peep in and out! Love you, Chips!

• May 11, 2012 at 11:11 am

Good point, Pamela. Here’s another request–let us hear from you Sue.

May 11, 2012 at 11:17 am

Hi Pamela,

I believe Sue was upset at PBO’s decision to come out for SSM – not at the heated discussions that took place prior to that. Her last post suggested that she was going to “pray for PBO.” Sue is very religious and she seems to have difficulty keeping religion and law as separate entities. That’s the impression I got. I may be wrong. I would really love for her to remain her and continue to post!

• 186 amk for obama
        May 11, 2012 at 11:33 am

This is one of the downsides of that bully pulpit moment. I was a bit ambivalent about the timing of his announcement (anticipating this kinda hurt from his loyal base, who have religious objections). That’s why I was a bit harsh on bwd and chips for ignoring the political reality of the issue

But the reactions in the past 2 days and the subsequent mittbot tamasha assures me the fallout would not be that great. I am sure Sue will be back. After all she knows that the life has many disappointments.

• 187 57andfemale
      May 11, 2012 at 11:40 am

She made one comment yesterday so I suspect she is at least reading TOD. It is obvious that she believes in her heart that gay marriage is immoral and a sin. I was impressed, however, that I didn’t see anyone attack her for her obviously heartfelt beliefs. I’m sure it is uncomfortable for her that most of us see it as a civil rights issue and not a moral issue. I believe that the Scriptural passages that are used come from Leviticus, which also states that adulterers should be stoned to death and people should be killed for eating shellfish. I believe the Bible can be a guide, but must be understood through the prism of historical context. I was raised Jewish, and was encouraged in my synagogue and at home to question and discuss, which was the basis of the Talmud. Although there is plenty of dogma in Judaism, this approach to religious identity was the foundation of my liberal soul. I am grateful to the rabbis with whom I had many interesting conversations, and my wonderful parents who, although devout, were strengthened by being able to question.

I was born 11 months after my 11 year old sister died of an aneurysm. My mother went on a spiritual journey where she looked at all religions from Buddhism to Catholicism and all Christian denominations and Christian Science. Her journey brought her back to Judaism. I was taught from as early as I could remember to at the very least respect Jesus as a great prophet, to take to heart and action his words of love and tolerance. That the whole world would be better off if we all respected all religions. She did not believe that Jesus was the Messiah, which led to fascinating discussions and reading about the historical and contextually spiritual meaning of the Messiah.

Sue was obviously very upset with PBO’s statement. The needs of the country and the world are diverse and complicated and interwoven. We must remain open-minded and accepting of Sue’s beliefs, as well as celebrate the symbolic burden that was lifted off many of our brethren who have lived as second class citizens. There is room for love for all of us. Sue prays for us all with deep sincerity and I for one welcome the strength of her love.

• 188 theo67
        May 11, 2012 at 12:36 pm

This is a lovely comment.

• 189 Pamela
        May 11, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Thank you for your heartfelt compassion, 57!

• 190 57andfemale
          May 11, 2012 at 1:47 pm

We really are a family here. I dearly love all of you. We don’t just say stuff, we get to know each other. What a gift this place is.

• 191 nathkatun7
        May 11, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Thanks 57andfemale for this beautiful comment. My family is deeply religious. They still can’t figure out what happened to me because I am not religious at all. Like Sue, members of my family always tell me that they are praying for me. In turn, I respect their deeply held Christian beliefs. What has not changed is the love we share for one another.

• 192 57andfemale
          May 11, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I’m not religious at all. I am spiritual but I doubt that many would accept the spirituality that I believe. I believe my mother would have. She died when I was 21 and my dad a few years before that. But what they gave me in those short years has been invaluable.

My mother did, however, want me to marry a Jewish boy. She did say that she would support anything and everything I did (I was artsy and unconventional with a gay brother who came out to my parents in the late ’50’s). It was the only thing she wanted from me.

I’m married to a lapsed Catholic. I would assume, however, that she would have embraced the goodness and huge heart of the man I married. My South side Chicago husband and my ‘artistic’ gay brother were the best of friends with never a cross word between them. It was singularly the greatest joy of my life to have them love each other as they did. My brother was 15 years than I. He died December 5, 2000. At least he never had to face the GWB presidency.

In terms of Sue’s comment about praying for PBO — there are so many right wing Christians who throw that around to veil their prejudice. Sue truly means it and I love her and respect her for it.

• 193 nospin
      May 11, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I am confident Sue will be just fine.

41. 194 aristac
    May 11, 2012 at 11:12 am

Redstate blogge busts politico trying to blame black voters for amendment-one

North Carolinian voters on Tuesday’s Amendment One vote banning same-sex marriage:

African-Americans voted 2-1 in favor of the North Carolina amendment banning gay marriage Tuesday, but the White House is betting that black voters there and beyond will stick with the president, despite broad
    resistance to legalization.

…and that’s it. There’s no backup for that at all in the article. The question is of some interest – African-American opposition to California’s same-sex marriage laws gave social conservatives a completely unexpected victory on 2008′s Election Night – but if there are actual exit polls publicly available then I have yet to see them. For that matter, ABC Newsreported today (May 10, 2012) that there was no exit polling in North Carolina for Amendment One. At all.

see whole article here

May 11, 2012 at 11:32 am

aristac – this 2-1 statistic is not even based on actual NC votes on Tuesday, but was taken from polls done in 2009 and 2011! How do I know that, the RITTENBERG Report used the exact same figure yesterday in one of their tweets and when I challenged them to provide the source for their data – they could not provide the data from actual votes cast in NC, but instead cited two separate PEW polls – one from 2009, and the other from 2011. Here’s a snippet of our conversation:

When I challenged them and they had no way of refuting my points – they then tried to change the subject and gloss over the point.

Apparently, the MSM was given the orders to just spread the false claim that Black people voted 2-1 in favor of the amendment – not based on any actual data from the votes, but from poorly sourced polls going back to 2009!!!

That’s why I no longer believe most statistics I see cited in the media – because they are preying on people’s inability or unwillingness to delve into the data. The media is spreading false information to divide and confuse voters, not to inform.

• 196 amk for obama
        May 11, 2012 at 11:34 am

Keeping them honest (unlike the teann bs). Go hf.

May 11, 2012 at 11:49 am

It’s so interesting that the MSM and the PL never mention blacks as part of PBO’s base in ordinary discourse. But as soon as the issue of LGBT rights come up, blacks suddenly become this HUGE powerful influential force that can make or break equality for LGBT.

Never mind that we’ve had 42 non-Black Presidents, Supreme Court and Congress (House AND Senate). Never mind that the state/local legislatures are dominated by non-Blacks. Never mind that the US population is 78% non-Black. Never mind that the largest megamedia platforms (Print and TV) are dominated by non-Blacks

Yet somehow, the focus is on the 12% mostly powerless Black people who can’t even get police officers to tell the truth after a 17 yr old teenager gets shot much less determine which LGBT civil rights are legalized.

It’s quite laughable, yet disturbing at the same time.

• 198 aristac
            May 11, 2012 at 12:03 pm

HF, that is what the article is saying, that their is no proof to the numbers. I just post a piece of the article.

May 11, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Yes, I know – thanks. :) I was just trying to show you exactly where the false figure originated from and how the MSM decided to use it to spread a meme about Black voters and Amendment 1. Funny that a Redstate blogger of all people decided to go after Politico for this.

• 200 aristac
            May 11, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Amen HF, Amen,

• 201 nathkatun7
            May 11, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Hopefruit, I hope you meant 43 and not “42 non-Black Presidents.” Unless, of course you subscribe to the idiotic notion that Bill Clinton was the first Black President. But then again I know some people who insist that Abe Lincoln was really Black.

• 202 57andfemale
        May 11, 2012 at 11:51 am

I will try to find the actual numbers that I read at dKos. I do remember that of the three counties that had the most AA’s, two of those counties voted against Amendment 1. The amendment passed because of overwhelming support in the rural, white counties.

Here was another statistic that struck me: In 2008 90% of CA AA’s voted for PBO. 58% of AA’s voted in favor of Prop 8. So quelle surprise — AA’s can walk and chew gum at the same time and factor in many issues in their vote. In 3 years, we have seen the fastest shift on views of marriage equality of any issue in recent history. Are there MORE AA’s who are willing to help elect Romney and more RWNJ’ than there were in 2008? Seriously? As evidenced by the anti-marriage equality preacher on Rev. Al yesterday, this guy didn’t support PBO in 2008 and he REALLY isn’t going to support him in 2012. So what’s the difference?

I’ll try to find the actual info. But this is my clear recollection of what I read over the last few days.

My impression: By all means, Republicans. Focus on turning AA’s into Romney votes. Please.

• 205 aristac
        May 11, 2012 at 12:21 pm

“because they are preying on people’s inability or unwillingness to delve into the data”

Many people should take not of that statement

• 207 theo67
        May 11, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Nice job!

• 208 nathkatun7
        May 11, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Well done hopefruit! The current U.S. media is totally toxic! Sadly, it’s this mis-information that shape people’s views about politics.

42. May 11, 2012 at 11:12 am

LOL.I wish I could stay, and read some more of these good links, but the backyard looks like a wheatfield………..

43. May 11, 2012 at 11:26 am

Eva Longoria is on The View speaking out for President Obama. Said this is the most critical election, that she is mostly concerned with 2 communities, women and Latinos. She said everything she’s heard from the other side makes her wonder what year it is, what era—-someone suggested 1948 maybe. Joy asked what would happen if Willard chose Rubio for VP, if that could change allegiances in the Latino community. She said her job will be to inform that community that they just can’t blindly vote for a name, that they need to be aware of Rubio’s history and policies which are not in their interest.

44. May 11, 2012 at 11:34 am

• 217 nathkatun7
      May 11, 2012 at 6:37 pm

You know what dotster3, beginning March of this year, my premium for Senior citizens supplemental health insurance wen’t down $36 a month. I understand this is a result of the ACA. Besides, since last year, I’ve been paying half of what used to pay for prescription medication. For me, Obamacare has truly been a financial “game changer.”

May 11, 2012 at 11:36 am

Whoopie! Got 75mins. for lunch and am working close enough to home so I could run home and spy on/harass you guys who keep getting firsts. ;) :lol: Happy Friday again, everyone!

• 219 theo67
      May 11, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Hey VC! Happy Friday!

May 11, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Same to you, T! Maybe we can touch base on weekend. Gotta run back to work now. ‘Run’ sounds so athletic, so don’t tell anyone that I’m actually taking the car. ;)

46. 221 Cman
    May 11, 2012 at 11:37 am

“The 150-person event, held Thursday night, brought in $15 million, from both ticket prices — $40,000 per person — and donations of $3 or more that entered donors into a raffle to win tickets to the event, according to the Los Angeles Times. Tens of thousands of donors contributed an average of $23 in hopes of winning a ticket, the LA Times reported, raising almost $10 million for the campaign.”

Woot woot. We all are a fundraising juggernaut. The dinner made $5 mil which is good but not earth shattering. We made the rest. Hurrah for the small guy. : D

• 222 theo67
      May 11, 2012 at 12:40 pm

This is excellent news! I can’t wait to hear how the two winners and their husbands survived the encounter with those two gorgeous men.

47. May 11, 2012 at 11:48 am

Must read from Shrum

48. May 11, 2012 at 11:55 am

Amk for obama I knew i was on to something. Go Potus morgan-chase-regulators-20120511,0,3897661.story

49. 233 Ladyhawke
    May 11, 2012 at 12:11 pm

MITT ROMNEY WANTS TO REPEAL DODD-FRANK – (WHO NEEDS THE VOLCKER RULE?)

Rolling back the clock on Wall Street

By Steve Benen

—————————–

Indeed, Romney not only wants to scrap the entirety of Dodd-Frank, created after Wall Street recklessness nearly collapsed the global financial system in 2008, the Republican also wants to eliminate Sarbanes-Oxley, created after the 2002 accounting scandals, including Enron.

At a certain level, this seems like political suicide, though the Republican clearly doesn’t see it that way.

Just four years after Wall Street pushed our financial system to the breaking point, Romney is effectively telling the public, “Vote for me so I can roll back the clock and make things easier on the Wall Street elite.” It’s anti-populism at its most craven.

—————————–

50. 234 Ladyhawke
    May 11, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Chips, I accidently typed (CC) in front of my email address and got sent directly to moderation. Please rescue me. Thank you Dear.

May 11, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Hey Chips Chica, I’ll have to head back to work soon, so will you please hurry up and post the ‘heads up’ thread so that I can register ‘FIRST” before I go? ;) Your BFF, VC

May 11, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Has FLOTUS spoken at VA Tech yet? I’m on the website and a woman is singing.

53. 239 Liberal Librarian
    May 11, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Ok, can I say that Tweety’s “Let me finish” segment gave me leg tingles?

54. May 11, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Completely OT: if you are a fan of Burn Notice, please go vote for the new opening title sequence: http://www.usanetwork.com/series/burnnotice/fanvote/

May 11, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Gentle reminder: PBO is also scheduled to give the commencement address at Barnard College (Columbia U affiliate) this coming Monday May 14 at ~ 12:30PM.

May 11, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Ok…Does anyone see Mark Warner speaking now at VA Tech? That’s the right link right? I’m watching the correct thing?