May

Rise and Shine

President Barack Obama greets people in the audience at the National Peace Officers Memorial Service, an annual ceremony honoring law enforcement who were killed in the line of duty, at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., May 15. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

NYT: President Obama and the Democrats raised $43.6 million in April, adding to the president’s edge over his rival, Mitt Romney, even as money continues to pour in to outside groups ahead of the fall campaign.

The $43.6 million is a slight dip from March, when Mr. Obama’s campaign and the Democratic National Committee raised a combined $53 million. But it does not count several large fund-raisers — including one in Hollywood that reportedly raised $15 million — that took place in early May.

More here

ThinkProgress

USA Today: Vice President Biden will deliver a blistering attack on Mitt Romney’s business career in a speech to be delivered later today in Youngstown, Ohio.

…. “He thinks that because he spent his career as a ‘businessman,’ he has the experience to run the economy,” Biden plans to say. “In the 1990s, there was a steel mill in Kansas City, Missouri. It had been in business since 1888. Then Romney and his partners bought the company. Eight years later it went bankrupt.”

The vice president goes on to tell the story of GST Steel, one of the companies taken over by Bain Capital that didn’t fare as well as, say, Staples or Sports Authority.

It’s the same company the Obama campaign will feature tonight in a two-minute campaign ad airing briefly in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Colorado and Iowa.

More here

Cagle

TPM: A new Quinnipiac poll shows that President Barack Obama is a strong favorite to win New Jersey in November — even when he is matched up against the Garden State’s popular governor.

In the statewide poll of registered voters, Obama bests presumptive Republican nominee Mitt Romney, 49 percent to 39 percent.  For a state that has voted Democratic in the past five presidential elections, that is not necessarily surprising.  But the poll gets intriguing when New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie enters the equation. When Quinnipiac asked voters to decide between the incumbent ticket of Obama and Vice President Joe Biden and a Republican ticket of Romney and Christie, the president’s team still comes out on top — 50 percent to 42 percent.

More here

Cagle

ThinkProgress: The White House has issued a veto threat should the House version of the Violence Against Women Act reach the President’s desk.

In a statement, the administration said that the House version of the bill is unacceptable. Sponsored Rep. Sandy Adams (R-FL), the House version removes the protections for marginalized communities, stripping out provisions that were passed in the Senate version of the bill.

More here

Cagle

10:30: President Obama holds a roundtable discussion with small business owners and SBA Administrator Karen Mills.

11:30: Meets for lunch with Congressional Leadership.

12:00: VP Biden delivers remarks at a campaign event in Youngstown, Ohio.

1:10: Jay Carney briefs the press.

3:10: PBO awards Specialist Leslie H. Sabo, Jr., U.S. Army, the Medal of Honor; Michelle Obama also attends.

Morning everyone ;-)

117 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 Suzette
    May 16, 2012 at 8:02 am

Good morning all.

2. 7 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    May 16, 2012 at 8:02 am

Good morning, TOD!

3. 9 Suzette
    May 16, 2012 at 8:07 am

My first day back in office after two days on sick leave, not 100% as yet but getting there.

4. 11 symmetry11
    May 16, 2012 at 8:08 am

Good morning, TOD!

5. May 16, 2012 at 8:08 am

Good morning Suzette, Alycee, Pamelbrown53 and all.

May 16, 2012 at 8:14 am

Good morning Chips, TOD, everyone :) Congratulations Suzette on #1 !

May 16, 2012 at 8:20 am

So ABC yesterday was more than happy to report that PBO has a “huge” checking account at JPMorgan Chase from his financial disclosure records. Yet no one seemed to care that Willard hasn’t even released his financial disclosure records and probably won’t until he’s had a chance to etch a sketch all the major conflicts of interest like the “huge” ca$$$H funnel flowing from his Bain Capital account straight to the corporate media CEO’s and employees? I mean, how long will we allow the media to push this glaringly double standard?

• 17 Ladyhawke
      May 16, 2012 at 8:38 am

HF, your post in the previous thread on the “Americans for Ethics in Journalism” petition was great to see. I would love to see this item on the What Is Working site so everyone can send it to their local media. This is so important. From day one, the media firewall and penchant for carrying water for the GOP has been a thorn in the side of the administration. Seeing this petition gives me hope that maybe, just maybe we have finally reached a tipping point with the sloppy reporting in this country. I plan to send the petition write-up to my local media and I hope others will do the same. And of course, I signed the petition. I hope it gets the attention it deserves.

May 16, 2012 at 8:46 am

Thanks Ladyhawke. Got the petition from friends on Twitter and I too was very heartened to see that more and people have glommed onto the idea that the media is at the heart of this country’s failed politics and policies.

• 19 terim
          May 16, 2012 at 8:54 am

Sorry to say that I missed it. Can you re-post it?

May 16, 2012 at 9:00 am

Here it is!

AMERICANS FOR ETHICS IN JOURNALISM:

// We, as concerned Americans, realize that ethics in journalism and in society are voluntary; there are no legal documents than constrict behavior. However, here in America, we have a history of truth and trust in media.

Only in more recent times, with 24 hour news cycle and competition for ratings, are we faced with a media which does more to incite, divide, and mislead Americans than one which seeks to inform, educate and bring people together for common good.
            Facts are tossed aside for monetary gain/ratings. For example, most recently, in a push for ratings, Newsweek gave a blatant example of what is presented to Americans: “America’s First Gay President” was splashed across the cover complete with rainbow halo.

Certainly it is disrespectful to the office of the Presidency and many Americans faced with that image and those untrue words will never open Newsweek to read an accompanying article for further clarification of the historical significance for America. It is as wrong to present information like this as it would for someone to send a card that on the outside says “All your loved ones have died.” It is not justified by the fact that when the card is opened they will read: “laughing when I told that old joke.” Misleading viewers and readers isn’t ethical journalism. //

• 25 Ladyhawke
        May 16, 2012 at 9:15 am

To get information on your local media (Address, phone, fax, editor, facebook, twitter, etc.) check the website below:

U.S. NEWSPAPER LIST

• May 16, 2012 at 9:53 am

Signed, facebooked, and tweeted.

• 27 globalcitizenlinda
      May 16, 2012 at 8:47 am

what is the problem with PBO having a check account with JPMorgan Chase? Are all American customers now responsible for the actions of our bankers?

• May 16, 2012 at 9:05 am

That was pushed by the Robney camp. That is the only thing they do well,push stories!

May 16, 2012 at 9:09 am

Yup! That’s my point exactly..the huge funnel of ca$$h flowing from Romney camp directly in the pockets of the corporate media….a major conflict of interest right there that Romney has not disclosed…

8. 34 rikyrah
    May 16, 2012 at 8:22 am

Glenn Greenwald, contributing writer for Salon, talks with Rachel Maddow about Fox News partnering with the national finance co-chair of the Mitt Romney campaign, Frank VanderSloot, to manufacture a fake scandal to paint President Obama as a “terrorist” and solicit donations to a Romney-aligned Super PAC.

If you can’t stand Greenwald, like me, it’s still worth watching for the first 2/3rds of the segment in order to see the creation of this new fake scandal on Fox.

May 16, 2012 at 8:23 am

Good Morning CC & TODville! Congrats Suzette!

I know I shouldn’t have started breakfast BEFORE checking in. Some of us (me) never learn! ;) I’m off to work so have a great day y’all! :lol:

May 16, 2012 at 8:25 am
      May 16, 2012 at 8:31 am

Rock, I don’t know who you are, but you bet you are speaking for me when you say that 99.999% of folks is looking forward to four more years of the Obama Family. Yes, we are!!!!

11. 44 Linda
    May 16, 2012 at 8:26 am

When Romney was in Des Moines yesterday only 200 attended his rally/speech. Granted it was middle of the day on a work day — but only 200 people attending a major political rally is a stark, light in the loafers, number compared to the crowds President Obama draws. In Iowa, you can get more people to attend barn burning.

May 16, 2012 at 8:30 am

HAHAHA! I am sure A LOT more 200 NEW people watched The View yesterday just to see PBO :)

May 16, 2012 at 8:33 am

Where was Chuckie Todd counting all those that were there? Only a right wing anti-Obama media can make 14,000 people attending a rally seem like nothing.

• 49 TrumpDog
      May 16, 2012 at 8:55 am

But only Obama’s rally attendee numbers gets scrutinized. ..
      :roll:

12. May 16, 2012 at 8:27 am

Latinos plan to protest Robney Today in Tampa-

I should go see him and ask him, why he tortured, abused bullied his Dog Seamus?

May 16, 2012 at 8:28 am
    • 52 globalcitizenlinda
      May 16, 2012 at 8:41 am

did knoller write the VP’s speech? how else does he know the contents in it before it is even given?

14. May 16, 2012 at 8:32 am

As Mitt Romney returns to Florida today for two days of campaigning and money-raising, Democrats are trying to ensure Floridians keep two words in mind: Dade Behring.

It’s the name of a former medical equipment manufacturer in Miami that Romney’s venture capital firm bought and then closed in the late 1990s, walking away with $242 million in profits.

“Obviously you need to make a profit to be successful,” Cindy Hewitt, Dade Behring’s former human resources officer, said Tuesday at a Miami news conference organized by President Barack Obama’s campaign. “My concern is when businesses are used to generate wealth for a small number of people and businesses are run to the ground and the lifeblood is sucked out of it and all of their employees lose their jobs.”

• 54 jackiegrumbacher
      May 16, 2012 at 8:41 am

Gee, well, of course, you might be concerned when a company is sucked dry to deliver a profit for a vampire capitalist and all the pieces and people are spit out and thrown away. Joe Biden needs to be out there in every state (esp. the rust belt) pushing this. It’s one thing to run a business profitably. It’s another to purposely destroy good businesses and walk away with the profits. People are still not getting that Robme was not a traditionally businessman. He wasn’t interested in good product or good service. He was a marauder, pillaging whatever looked like it might make him and his buddies richer. He hasn’t the faintest idea in the world how to run a national economy because it’s not his goal. He wants to suck the US and its treasury dry for the sake of his rich buddies. We will all be spit out and thrown away.

15. 55 Pamela
    May 16, 2012 at 8:34 am

Good morning everyone! http://www.the-french-job.com/videos.php?show=4fb253e3f01c9 Fine day ahead, some wonderful toons to post on FB! If you didn’t have a chance to vote for my daughter on the above link, it would be lovely for her to get this job! {{{{{{{{{{{Chips}}}}}}}}}}} :lol:

May 16, 2012 at 9:17 am

I don’t know if you saw my comment yesterday, Pamela, but your daughter is adorable and quite the go getter! I hope that she wins this….but I think that she’s already a winner. This would be just icing on the cake. You did good, you must be very proud:)

• 57 Pamela
        May 16, 2012 at 9:32 am

Thank you very much, df! She is now in 3rd place with over 500 votes, for the video blogger spot! I am beyond thrilled for her! I did get back to read a few more comments last night before my head rolled off my shoulders, and hope you had a chance to look through her blog and her website ( I think the website is undergoing a few upgrades). She has a degree in business and tourism, was trending 3rd in Sydney for a long time with her GourmetRabbit work, until her intellectual property was plagiarized by a huge food magazine there, so she is in the process of reinventing herself! Look out world, you ain’t seen nothin’ yet! To say I am proud of her is perfect, oh yes, I am so proud, and in awe! More votes are good, thank you TOD family, and to Chips: you are all that and more! Hugs all around, I gotta go to work!

May 16, 2012 at 8:36 am
    • 59 globalcitizenlinda
      May 16, 2012 at 8:40 am

how does knoller know how harsh VP’s speech is going to be before he even gives it???

17. 60 globalcitizenlinda
    May 16, 2012 at 8:38 am

I know that people here are interested in facts so here is something that caught my eye when I read the article at the Boston Globe this morning:

(i) Mitt the entitled bullying liar (worth about 250 M) is more than 10 times richer than President Obama (8.3 Million in assets) – of courrse we have to keep in mind that for the liar mitt, this is just based on disclosed amounts but who knows what else he is hidding.

(ii) PBO and Mrs Obama have lost some of their wealth during their time of service to this country (were worth about 12 Million in 2010 but are now worth about 8.3 Million.

WASHINGTON—President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama hold assets worth between nearly $2.6 million and nearly $8.3 million, according to financial disclosure reports released Tuesday by the White House.

The documents show the couple’s assets for last year. The first family’s assets were valued between $1.8 million and nearly $12 million in 2010.

Obama released the annual report in the middle of a presidential campaign that has brought attention to the wealth of his Republican opponent, Mitt Romney. The former Massachusetts governor is worth $190 million to $250 million, with much of his money coming from investments.

for the full article please see http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2012/05/16/obama_assets_valued_between_26m_and_83m/

• 61 0388jojothecat
      May 16, 2012 at 11:17 am

I imagine their biggest material asset is their home which like everyone elses property has lost some value…..he is more like us everyday.

18. 63 57andfemale
    May 16, 2012 at 8:48 am

This would get so much worse under a (God forbid) Romney presidency, it should shake every American to his/her soul:

• 64 jackiegrumbacher
      May 16, 2012 at 9:09 am

We actually have a chief justice of the US actively working to undermine American democracy. The selection of Roberts to the SCOTUS and his anointing as chief justice was a grave injustice to this country. We are going to be paying for this for a very long time.

May 16, 2012 at 9:22 am

I know. It’s actually very frightening. The biggest, most long last effect of Bush that often gets over looked.

• 66 57andfemale
          May 16, 2012 at 10:06 am

I’m terrified at how stupid the electorate is, with absolutely no understanding of the consequences of voting for Republicans. They don’t understand the courts at all.

Before Greta van Susteran went batshit crazy, she was actually a liberal who started her cable news career on CNN during the Clinton impeachment debacle. I remember her saying that it’s not just the Supreme Court. The cases that get to the court are decided by the lower courts — the judiciary at lower levels can determine what issues we even get to adjudicate at the Supreme Court level.

I knew Roberts was bad, but these revelations are terrifying.

Does anyone actually believe ACA will survive these monsters?

• 67 0388jojothecat
            May 16, 2012 at 11:15 am

It’s frightening that after reading this article that Roberts is cunning and smart enough to know when he’s gone too far but manipulated the situation so that he could get what he wanted through the back door. This guy is more scary than Scalia and Alito isn’t any better.

I am hoping for the best but bracing myself for the worst. I do know that President Obama is more cunning and just as smart and he has a Plan B evenough he said he didn’t.

Maybe his Plan A is to expose the Republicana and the Corporate 5 SCOTUS justices to all that is wrong in Washington and he will fix it with the american peoples help. WE MUST HELP HIM GET RE-ELECTED.

• 68 57andfemale
              May 16, 2012 at 11:40 am

We suspected this stuff about Roberts to but read about it in action is downright terrifying. This is not what the Court is supposed to do. We have never seen anything like it in American history.

What is more terrifying is that it’s a big yawn for a majority of Americans. They can rattle off every baseball stat but get ‘bored’ when it comes to understanding the consequences of their votes. It’s just terrifying to me.

• 69 57andfemale
        May 16, 2012 at 10:02 am

And he’ll have the job for 40 years. This country will be unrecognizable if Republicans get any more power. Literally.

I thought this was a great diary and needed to be read. I’m careful about what I link to at dKos but this I thought was vital information.

19. May 16, 2012 at 8:52 am

My Mother just called and said she cannot stand Joe Scarborough anymore.
    She said he was fear -mongering this morning on the debt.

• May 16, 2012 at 11:12 am

I’m glad to hear this, Jovie. I stopped watching Morning Joke a couple months before the election in 2008. I would listen to/watch him every morning as I was getting dressed for work, but I had to stop listening to/watching his program because of his constant lies, distortions, and fear-mongering. Every word that came out of his mouth was doom and gloom for then Senator Obama, and the better things looked for SO, the worse Joke got. I had to face more than 130 students everyday and figured I didn’t need the aggravation BEFORE I got to the job, so I stopped watching his program. I rarely watch any TV news on any channel now because of the obvious bias of the MSM.

20. 72 Robert
    May 16, 2012 at 8:54 am

Good Morning everyone. That last comic about Mitt Romney is hilarious, Have to go and wipe this coffee from my keyboard. Thanks Chips….lol.

May 16, 2012 at 8:55 am
    May 16, 2012 at 8:56 am
    • 76 Ladyhawke
      May 16, 2012 at 9:08 am

THE WHITE HOUSE SHOULD WELCOME THIS

Great, this will be a good time to remind the American people that THE REPUBLICANS HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY TO “GOVERN” and not just be the loyal opposition. President Obama has been working tirelessly for the good of the country and all the GOP does is obstruct, delay and filibuster. The increase in filibusters is staggering.

The GOP majority in the House of Representatives (TWO WEEKS ON, ONE WEEK OFF) “work” schedule must be exhausting. Just look at all of the jobs they have created. Someone should ask the RNC to explain this:

REPUBLICAN JOB CREATION

• 77 Ladyhawke
      May 16, 2012 at 9:27 am

Why We’re Suing the Senate Over the FILIBUSTER

By Bob Edgar (Common Blog)

—————————————————

Here’s how the obstructionists work. To begin debate on a bill, senators must first adopt a “motion to proceed.” But debate on that motion, as on most everything else that comes before the Senate, is unlimited unless at least 60 senators vote to end it. That means a minority of as few as 41 can block any action simply by refusing to permit a vote on the motion to proceed.

Thus the filibuster does not extend debate, which is its supposed purpose. Instead, it stops debate.
      In recent years, filibusters have prevented senators from acting on presidential nominations for judgeships and other offices, as well as bills to hold down interest rates on student loans, force the rich to pay their fair share in income taxes, and end tax subsidies to oil companies. Rather than debating bills and exchanging ideas on the floor, in view of the public and press, senators are pushed by the filibuster into back room deal-making sessions to get a vote on even the most routine legislation .

When the 111th Congress opened last year, the filibuster rule even denied my friend Sen. Tom Udall a chance to make the case for filibuster reform to his colleagues; the minority used the filibuster rule to block discussion on Udall’s proposal to change the rule.

Simply put, that’s unacceptable. It’s an affront to our democracy and not the way the Senate was supposed to work. And it has real consequences for real people.

That’s why Common Cause is filing suit today to stop it

———————————————————-

• 78 Cman
      May 16, 2012 at 3:05 pm

WTF? Aren’t ‘Not done list” the same thing as a “to do list’. The point of having a ‘to do list’ is to keep track of the things you need to do…

This attack makes no sense.

• 79 Cha
      May 16, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Yes, Knoller..voters aren’t stupid. They know, too, that the debt was caused by bush and PObama has worked to turn that and the bush economy FREE FALL AROUND.

23. 80 globalcitizenlinda
    May 16, 2012 at 8:56 am

Okay someone please explain to me why is it a problem that PBO has a checking account with JPMorgan Chase?

Are all American customers(incuding you and I) now responsible for the actions of our bankers who take our deposits?

I know that some facts come in handy when you least expect it so this is FYI: For those who may not know, a few years JPMorgan Chase took over the former BankOne which was founded in Columbus Ohio. During this time BankOne served the majority of midwest before bank-deregulation. As result of the take over, all of who had accounts in BankOne woke up one day and their accounts had been converted into JPMorgan Chase accounts with the FDIC’s approval. So what is the big deal about the President’s banker who I believe has headquarters in Chicago ?

• 81 Linda
      May 16, 2012 at 9:04 am

There is no big deal , except in Morning Joke talking point… JP Morgan was NOT part of the financial meltdown….

• May 16, 2012 at 9:22 am

But, the Republicans are worried about Robney being painted as a Plutocrat. So, they desperately try 2 muddle it with these guilt by association tactics.
        The latest is roves attack on Obama has all former wall street employees.
        Oooo, the Boogeyman is coming…

• 83 COS
        May 16, 2012 at 9:30 am

Good morning everyone. I think Joe should be concentrating more on Robney’s offshore accounts and how he is evading taxes.

• May 16, 2012 at 9:28 am

They are trying to tie PBO to Wall Street, which has a negative image in the eyes of Americans, particularly since Chase had this big screw up. They can’t do the donor thing any more as the big banks are tossing all of their money at Romney this year, so they try this. It’s the old, look over there so you don’t see what we are doing here typ fo routine.

24. 86 Linda
    May 16, 2012 at 9:25 am

Catholic bishops are threatening to sue over the contraception mandate.

—-

Time to take away their Federal money…???

• May 16, 2012 at 9:44 am

This wouldn’t go very far. They have already lost in the courts when they sued against state laws that were even stricter than the federal one.

• 88 57andfemale
        May 16, 2012 at 10:11 am

Exactly. And by all means, let’s keep this issue front and center. Let’s hear from Republicans screaming religious freedom for employers but no religious freedom for their employees. Let’s remind women voters of who and what Republicans are and what they will do them if given the chance.

Bring it on, jackasses.

• 89 daisydem
          May 16, 2012 at 10:23 am

Take away any federal funds, remove the tax exempt status from all churches! They can afford to build the mega-church buildings with all the adornments; they can afford to pay their share of taxes!

• 90 57andfemale
            May 16, 2012 at 11:37 am

The sole reason they are allowed tax exempt status is because they are supposed to stay out of the political process. They can no longer even pretend that they aren’t actively involved in influencing American elections. It’s a disgrace.

May 16, 2012 at 9:26 am

Poll: Voters Divided On Romney’s Call For Health Care Repeal, Independents Opposed

And the more ACA is talked about, AND UNDERSTOOD, this number that opposes repeal will only get bigger.

26. May 16, 2012 at 9:27 am

U.S. builders started work on more homes and apartments last month and requested more permits to build single-family homes. The increases suggest the battered housing market is healing.

The Commerce Department said Wednesday that builders broke ground in April at a seasonally adjusted annual pace of 717,000 homes. That’s a 2.6 percent increase from an upwardly revised March figure and near January’s three-year high of 720,000. Construction rose for both single-family homes and apartments.

Building permits, a gauge of future construction, fell last month from a 3 1/2 year high to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 715,000. But that was because of a 23 percent drop in the volatile apartment category. Permits for single-family homes rose almost 2 percent.

May 16, 2012 at 9:31 am

This man needs a HUG! He gets it!

Rep. James Clyburn (D-SC) believes Democrats have “a fighting chance” of taking back the House if they emphasize the party’s health reform law. As Clyburn put it, Democrats “can’t run from [healthcare reform]. You have to go out and say, ‘This is what we did and this is why we did it.’ And I think that you win like that.”

• 94 TrumpDog
      May 16, 2012 at 9:38 am

I appreciate the wordsw but I think it’s too little too late. Democrats were silent in 2009-2010 and allowed louder mouths to define the bill/law and prevail. If they are going to tout ObamaCare, don’t say what they should be doing, just DO it.

• 95 57andfemale
        May 16, 2012 at 10:19 am

I’ve been saying this since 2009/2010 myself. I will never understand why Dem’s did not get in front of this issue and fix all these misperceptions. I still don’t hear jobs creation tied to ACA in jobs speeches. This has made me crazy.

• 96 TrumpDog
          May 16, 2012 at 10:22 am

Exactly. Plus why are they always MIA on the Sunday shows? The GOP has taken over and whenever there is a Dem on they always seem to find some way to bash the president.

• 97 57andfemale
      May 16, 2012 at 10:17 am

I just broke this down into a couple of tweets.

May 16, 2012 at 9:33 am

There IS a separation of church and state, right? Do we still have that???

Catholic bishops are threatening to sue over the contraception mandate. Though the Obama administration came to a compromise on requiring religious employers to provide birth control as part of their health plans, the bishops say they are still unhappy with insurers being forced to provide copay-free contraceptives, and will take legal action if Congress does not rectify the situation.

I’m sorry, but these GUYS need to butt the hell out!!! When THEY can get pregnant,we can talk…otherwise, they need to STFU!

May 16, 2012 at 9:35 am

Surprised?

FACT CHECK: ‘Non-Citizen’ Voter In James O’Keefe’s Voter Fraud Video Is Actually A Citizen

He LIED??? I’m shocked!

May 16, 2012 at 9:37 am

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

TPJustice Anti-Gay hate group Family Research Council endorses father/daughter incest. on.fb.me/Kx2TkB #IAmMaggie
    15 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

31. 106 Ladyhawke
    May 16, 2012 at 9:39 am

Where’s The ‘Beef’? Clinton’s Answer To Romney Snark

By Joe Conason

—————————————–

So far Clinton hasn’t taken this bait, declining to respond directly even as he campaigns around the country in selected Democratic primaries. But a spokesman indicated that anyone wishing to understand the former president’s attitude toward Obama — and Romney — might consult a speech he delivered more recently than 1996. Specifically, his remarks at an April 29 fundraiser for Obama hosted by close Clinton friend Terry McAuliffe at the former Democratic Party chair’s home in McLean, VA where he left no space for misinterpretation about his opinion of the man standing next to him:

——————————————-

• 107 TrumpDog
      May 16, 2012 at 10:24 am

WRONG response. Clinton needs to get out there NOW and state how he feels instead of allowing some spokesperson to point to a speech Clinton made.

32. 108 Ladyhawke
    May 16, 2012 at 9:46 am

ROMNEY LAND IS A DEEPLY FOOLISH PLACE

A peek into an alternate reality

By Steve Benen

—————————————–

Watching the Republican’s remarks, I was annoyed by the breathtaking dishonesty, but I was also struck by something that seemed rather new to me: Romney’s immaturity. His arguments weren’t just wrong; they were silly. If the political discourse were in any way grounded in fact, this was the kind of speech that would laugh Romney off the national stage, with sensible people agreeing that the guy just isn’t ready for the big kids’ table. Grown-ups don’t feel the need to create fantasy lands where their wishes are true.

The speech seemed like it had been written by a high-school student who’s preoccupied with Rush Limbaugh’s radio show and assorted right-wing Twitter feeds. I couldn’t take Romney seriously yesterday because Romney no longer cares enough to take himself seriously.

We got a peek into an alternate reality yesterday, and it appears that Romney Land is a deeply foolish place.

——————————————————–

• 109 Cha
      May 16, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Exactly, Ladyhawke! That’s why the part in Rev Al’s show when Ellen McPike was going on about what the cons thought on Capitol Hill or wherever in hell she found them, pissed me off so much. PObama’s on The View and romney’s “talking”(read LYING) about the “debt” that bush created.

33. 110 Linda
    May 16, 2012 at 10:05 am

President Obama’s speech to accept the Democratic nomination at the party’s national convention on Sept. 6 is the same night as the MTV Video Music Awards.

An MTV spokesperson told CNN that the awards are being moved up an hour early in order to avoid a conflict with the convention and will air from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. ET rather than the usual 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. ET.

—-

Do people still watch MTV ?

• 111 Liberal Librarian
      May 16, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Don’t get me started on a rant about how these cable network names no longer match what they show.

34. 112 Linda
    May 16, 2012 at 10:09 am

Romney’s own words debunks his claim he is a “businessman”: his own book Turnaround, about his role as CEO of the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics. Romney says on page 16, “I never actually ran one of our investments; that was left to management.”

Also, while on a 1998 ski vacation, when Joklik spoke to Romney about taking over the SLOC job: “He said that he though project management skills were the most critical…I protested, ‘I don’t have any project management experience.’ Quote unquote from the businessman himself.

He has always been an “invester”, never a businessman

—-

Does this need to go to the Truth Team ?

35. 115 mtmarilyn
    May 16, 2012 at 10:14 am

Good morning Chips and TOD family. I am so busy I only have time to read and tweet all the wonderful information I find here at TOD. I feel like I am contributing when I can tweet. Keep up the great work everyone!

36. 117 Ladyhawke
    May 16, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Romney’s Claims on Bain Repeatedly Undermined and “Do Not Pass the Laugh Test”

———————————————————-

Since Romney began running for political office two decades ago, he has consistently been criticized for false and misleading claims made about running Bain.

Romney has repeatedly claimed that he helped create over 100,000 jobs while at Bain. Romney’s claims on job creation are so absurd that the Washington Post wrote they “do not pass the laugh test” and Fortune Magazine called them “False.” That’s because Romney is taking credit for the current jobs at a company that he was involved in years ago and taking credit for another company’s growth over a 12-year period when he was involved for less than 2 months. He went so far as to take credit for the current success of a company that has been bought and sold three times over two decades.

Even Sarah Palin and conservative media said Romney had not provided proof of the jobs he claimed to create. The political action committee supporting Romney, Restore Our Future, simply told reporters they would not supply any information to back up the claim that Romney created jobs at Bain.

Romney’s repeated exaggerations and misleading statements on Bain leave him little credibility when he now tries to spin his business record.

——————————————————–