May

This and That

President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama greet the family of Specialist Leslie H. Sabo, Jr., U.S. Army, outside the Oval Office prior to a Medal of Honor ceremony honoring Specialist Sabo, May 16, 2012. Pictured, from left, are: Kathleen Starkey, sister-in-law; Rose Sabo-Brown, widow; Frances Buccelli, mother-in-law. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

ReTweet!

Washington Post/AP: When Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney decried the “prairie fire” of U.S. debt Tuesday, he ignored some of the sparks that set it ablaze.

One was the Great Recession that took hold before Barack Obama became president. That landmark event went unmentioned in Romney’s speech. Another was a series of Bush-era tax cuts that Romney wants to follow with even lower rates.

Instead he laid the blame on Obama, a president who has certainly increased the nation’s eye-popping debt — but not, as Romney claimed, by nearly as much as all other presidents combined.

A look at some of Romney’s assertions and how they compare with the facts:

ROMNEY: “America counted on President Obama to rescue the economy, tame the deficit and help create jobs. Instead, he bailed out the public sector, gave billions of your dollars to the companies of his friends, and added almost as much debt as all the prior presidents combined.”

THE FACTS. Hardly. Presidents from George Washington through George W. Bush ran the national debt up to $10.62 trillion, the amount it was on the day Obama took office. Today, it is $15.67 trillion, according to the Treasury Department’s Bureau of Public Debt. So it has gone up by $5.05 trillion under Obama. That’s roughly half of the amount amassed by all the other presidents combined.

In short, the debt has gone up by about half under Obama. Under Ronald Reagan, it tripled.

More here

‘Renewing GOP vows':

Cagle

Miami Herald: Welcome to FL, Mitt. Now why did Bain Capital lay off so many people in Miami?

As Mitt Romney returns to Florida on Wednesday for two days of campaigning and money-raising, Democrats are trying to ensure Floridians keep two words in mind: Dade Behring.

It’s the name of a former medical equipment manufacturer in Miami that Romney’s venture capital firm bought and then closed in the late 1990s, walking away with $242 million in profits.

“Obviously you need to make a profit to be successful,” Cindy Hewitt, Dade Behring’s former human resources officer, said Tuesday, at a Miami news conference organized by President Barack Obama’s campaign. “My concern is when businesses are used to generate wealth for a small number of people and businesses are run to the ground and the lifeblood is sucked out of it and all of their employees lose their jobs.”

The case of Dade Behring in Miami, where some 850 jobs were lost while Romney led Bain has been well-documented. But there’s a new wrinkle: The company under Bain’s leadership sought and received millions of dollars in tax breaks for creating jobs in Puerto Rico — shortly before closing its facilities, costing nearly 300 jobs.

More here

BBC

In case anyone missed this today … it’s unmissable:

Thursday: The President will attend meetings at the White House.

Friday: PBO will deliver the opening keynote to the Symposium on Global Agriculture and Food Security at the Ronald Reagan Building in Washington, DC. Later on Friday, the President will travel to Camp David for the G-8 Summit, which will address a broad range of economic, political and security issues. The President will remain overnight at Camp David.

Saturday: PBO will remain at Camp David for the G-8 Summit. Later on Saturday, the President will travel to Chicago, Illinois, where he will welcome NATO allies and partners to his hometown for the NATO Summit on May 20-21. The First Lady will travel to Chicago with the President.

Chat away ;-)

222 Responses to “This and That”

• 2 Pamela
      May 16, 2012 at 8:16 pm

I do not believe it!

• 3 Pamela
        May 16, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Now I believe it!

• May 16, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Pamela?!?! PAMELA?!? :lol:

• 5 Pamela
          May 16, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I KNOW! I Know! I was leaving a reply for to say the picture is for both of us! Can you believe it, I was actually reading japa’s words, agreeing all the way. Figured I had better open the thread, and BOOM! Leave a comment was the enticing greeting, so how could I resist?

• May 16, 2012 at 8:22 pm

It’s spooky Pamela, just as you were first I looked out my window and saw this:

Strange things happening today.

• 7 Pamela
              May 16, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Ys, ma’am, that was me alright! I have a classic flying pig to send you, soon, in an email! Thank you very much, Chipsticks, for this wonderful photo of POTUS & FLOTUS, and thanks to VC for letting me be first!

• 8 Pamela
            May 16, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Geez, not ‘for to say’ for SWEETBAY! to share this hug! Hey, and a hug for everyone who voted for my daughter, it’s looking good for her to get the spot on the team! Will keep you posted….

May 16, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I love this picture of POTUS and FLOTUS.

May 16, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I see it’s you, but I don’t believe it either! Congrats! ;) It’s all Theo’s fault for responding to my comment on the previous thread….That’s it, I’m no longer holding civil conversation near the end of a thread when I can feel in my bones that a new post is due.

• 13 Dudette
        May 16, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Alright Pamela!! Woohooo! Congratulations!!

Just coming in to try to catch up on all the days events. So much good stuff here! Chips does it again!!

I am totally loving the video of Will Smith talking about Jaden’s question to PBO — priceless! I bet the President gets asked that by most kids that come the the White House though. So cute!!!

• May 16, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Congrats, Pamela. I’m hanging around to see what picture you get. I love those pictures.

• May 16, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Hey, where’s my avatar?

May 16, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Grump! Humffp!

• 18 Pamela
          May 16, 2012 at 8:24 pm

VC, do I dare to tell you that not only was I reading japa, but still had to enter my email and name, and with all that, I somehow was first! I feel so special! :lol: oh yes, and please all pat yourselves on the back, as Denea’s vote count is still rising! The link: http://www.the-french-job.com/videos.php?show=4fb253e3f01c9

May 16, 2012 at 8:39 pm

3rd attempt to answer. Laptop keeps cutting me out. No idea why.

May 16, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Voted last night. Was happy to see that you can only vote once (Hit the button twice cause I wasn’t sure the 1st had registered, but was set straight).

• 21 Pamela
              May 16, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I had some problem earlier with safari telling me I had lost my connection, the only way to get out is to close the thread, lose the comment, and start over. If it’s a long-winded reply, I usually give up! So much for long winded replies, eh?

May 16, 2012 at 9:09 pm

I’ve been experiencing an excessive amount of cut offs in the last couple of weeks and I have no idea why. Plus my laptop seems to be freezing up often too. Generally I just restart things except when I have to bite my tongue because I was in the middle of a long-winded response and then loose it all. This is the message I get with each cut off:-
                —————————————————————————————————————————————————-
                Whoops! The page could not be found. Try giving it another chance below.

Search the Web -[I get a search window called ‘Top 10′ at this point
                Search
                —————————————————————————————————————————————————
                It’s puzzling because I am usually ON the page before I am knocked off for them to tell me the page is lost.

• 23 Pamela
                  May 16, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Hmmm, this is similar to what I have been seeing, except the post comment field goes grey, and a window pops up sayng safari, yadda yadda…… But the reply does not go away even when I hit cancel reply: it re-appears later when I go to make another comment! I actually have to backspace it all the way out, still have to refresh before I can reply again. I guess I agree it has been about a month, maybe since that first revamp WP made, when I never did get my fancy little box, but I still have my name!

May 16, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Since you are my running for first BFF you can dare to tell me anything, Pamela! ;) Just hold on to the trophy until I manage to get my finger movements coordinated then you can hand off. Between my coalition with you and with my special friend, Amk I should be back in the first place limelight soon (Please, oh Spirit of self-esteem and self-pride).

• 26 Alycee (@jazziz2)
            May 16, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Thanks for posting link again. Forgot to vote yesterday. Just voted and tweeted.

• 27 Pamela
              May 16, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Thank you very much, Alycee! I think I will post it until it closes…. (am so pleased with myself for learning to cut and paste from a website to the reply field, on the iPad! Astonishing! and fun!)

• May 17, 2012 at 11:44 am

I just put in my vote for her. I love her vid and the excitement in her voice. Like some others, I tried it a 2nd time to make sure and was told my vote was already counted.

• 29 Pamela
        May 16, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Thank you, thank you, please share, this hug would feel pretty good if I was in the middle of it, I would never be sad again!

• 30 57andfemale
      May 16, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Congrats!

1. May 16, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I would melt if i got that hug! Wow!

2. 32 lisalovesobama
    May 16, 2012 at 8:25 pm

O/T: Me Loves Joe. :lol: ——–“they don’t get us!”

3. 33 Pamela
    May 16, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Good heavens, what kind of party are we going to have when TOD turns 10,000,000 hits? Roll up the carpets, WE SHALL DANCE! I might even have a glass of wine! (what?)

4. May 16, 2012 at 8:32 pm

MARTINS FERRY – Commuters on Thursday will likely see some traffic delays and high levels of congestion when Vice President Joe Biden’s motorcade arrives in the city for an invitation-only event at the Staffilino Car Dealership.

For the first time in Martins Ferry history, a sitting vice president is coming to the city and Sgt. Charles Ghent is serving as liaison between the Martins Ferry Police Department and the Secret Service for the upcoming event.

For security reasons, officials have released few details about the vice president’s first visit to Martins Ferry. Ghent did state that the police and security requirements of protecting the vice commander-in-chief typically lead to traffic issues.

In front of Car Dealership? Brilliant!

5. 36 collegekay
    May 16, 2012 at 8:33 pm

What is the deal w/ PBO’s budget ? Why are Democrats voting against it? I’m confused.

6. 40 Liberal Librarian
    May 16, 2012 at 8:33 pm

7. 42 vitaminlover
    May 16, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Our busy, busy First Couple. Please, please, please take a mini vacation.I want you rip-roaring ready to go for your re-election. You have time cause once you get the momentum going you two won’t have any time to break till sometime in maybe February of 2013. I love you President and First Lady Obama and want you firing on all cylinders.

• 43 vitaminlover
      May 16, 2012 at 8:40 pm

P.S. I know that you both are work-a-holics and like being busy as am I but you are the best things to happen for this country in a long, long time and I really want you to continue on but you must take it easy for a day or two. I’m just sayin’.

8. May 16, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I read a wonderful piece this week on TOD shredding willard’s disgusting shrug-off of his cruel and sickening attack on another student in prep school as a “prank’. I’d like a copy of it. Can anyone direct me to that post? Thanks!

9. 51 Pamela
    May 16, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Okay, Peggysticks, have sent the flying pig photo you may use when seeing me out your window next time! :lol:

10. May 16, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Thursday May 17, 2012
    Obama has no public events scheduled.
    10:15 AM
    Biden delivers remarks at a campaign event in Martins Ferry, Ohio.
    2:00 PM
    Jay Carney and National Security Advisor Tom Donilon brief the press.

• 53 vitaminlover
      May 16, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Good! No public events scheduled. A little down time at least. Maybe a late snooze and snuggle.

• 55 Liberal Librarian
      May 16, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Just for you.

• May 16, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Gobrooklyn, I honestly don’t mean to be unkind, but the lateness of your arrival on this thread makes VC look like Usain Bolt:

And sheesh, that’s saying something.

May 16, 2012 at 8:56 pm

{{GoBrooklyn}} Nice to see you!

Honey, I admire your PBO-like restraint in not allowing yourself to be provoked (by she who shall be nameless) into a rash response. You can be a part of the silent group of us participants who are taking the long view, ..who have a north star that we are working purposely towards…who will not be distracted…who…..whatever, you get the picture :lol: :lol:

• 63 Liberal Librarian
          May 16, 2012 at 8:59 pm

If GB wanted to be harsh, she could post a Youtube of the Manchester City fight song. But that might make Chips faint, and then who’d post new threads??

May 16, 2012 at 9:14 pm

No, no LL!
            /said with great piety/ We have no wish to hurt our dear Leaderess. We are from the ‘turn-the-other-cheek’ cult; AT LEAST, WE ARE UNTIL WE ARRIVE AT THE NORTH STAR, then we’ll borrow a bullhorn!

• 65 amk for obama
            May 16, 2012 at 9:28 pm

What would be hot is the pic of the I-have-a-squirrel-on-my-head guy’s reaction when he learnt that his team lost the league title in the lastest possible moment. I hear his loser manager has spent a lot in buying all kindsa restraints just for that guy.

• 68 amk for obama
          May 16, 2012 at 9:14 pm

vc. By the power granted by al gore, the guy who invented teh interntez, vc/amk team has already appropriated all the first posts in every frigging blog out there. These poor people just do not know that yet.

• May 16, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Oh, you woke up did you?

• 70 amk for obama
              May 16, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Yup. With the first coffee for the day. While you losers have to wait for another 12 hours.

• May 16, 2012 at 9:19 pm

:lol: Is it tomorrow with you already? What’s the future look like, also too?

• 72 amk for obama
                  May 16, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Hot and muggy. Hate Indian summers. I don’t know wtf the poets were on when they pine for indian summers.

• May 16, 2012 at 9:38 pm

There are days which occur in this climate, at almost any season of the year, wherein the world reaches its perfection, when the air, the heavenly bodies, and the earth, make a harmony, as if nature would indulge her offspring; when, in these bleak upper sides of the planet, nothing is to desire that we have heard of the happiest latitudes, and we bask in the shining hours of Florida and Cuba; when everything that has life gives signs of satisfaction, and the cattle that lie on the ground seem to have great and tranquil moments. These halcyons may be looked for with a little more assurance in that pure October weather, which we distinguish by the name of Indian Summer.

I’m exhausted after composing that.

• 77 0388jojothecat
                May 17, 2012 at 12:59 am

Losers????? :) were going to bed while you get to work while we sleep….WINNING :) :) :)

• May 16, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Hey! I got here eventually didn’t I?

11. 86 andogriff
    May 16, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Ms Chips! Thanks so much for the wonderful posts these past few days! I have had house guests, and had no time… but am catching up today! So much love the medal of honor presentation, and the way our president honors the Viet Nam vets. My father flew fighter jets in ‘Nam, and the only time I ever saw him weep was when we found him cleaning up the mess made by some local clowns who egged our car and driveway the night he came back after serving there for a year. Loved the Letterman clip too, brilliant!

• 87 theo67
      May 17, 2012 at 12:25 am

It breaks my heart every time I hear stories of how the Vietnam vets were treated – many of whom were only very young men. Thanks to your father for his service.

• 88 0388jojothecat
        May 17, 2012 at 1:08 am

So many still feel the sting of coming home to an ungrateful country that blamed them for following orders of elected officials that the people of this country voted into office. My friend volunteered right out of high school and was sent to vietnam at 18yrs old and thank God he came back whole but his spirit was changed. People like Limpballs, Robme, Cheney, were too much of a coward to go to war yet they want to send other kids to war and if Robme and the Republican get back into office, we will have more war.

• 89 theo67
          May 17, 2012 at 1:45 am

Yes, it surprises me that while people are claiming to be tired of war, they would vote for Romney – who promises unending wars, and is trying to destroy opportunities for kids so the military is their only option. An unending supply of bodies to feed to the war machine – and no budget to properly equip them or take care of them if they return from battle. Astounding.

12. 91 Liberal Librarian
    May 16, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Can I just say that watching my loan getting funded on lendingclub.com is both cool and frustrating at the same time?

13. May 16, 2012 at 8:56 pm

What is up with that? Why do All Senate Democrats vote against the Presidents Budget?
    Those are major talking points for the right!
    Meh.

14. 98 99ts
    May 16, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I have NO idea how “this man” does all that he does – he never stops “doing” things for the American people. I get tired reading his schedule.

And this seems to be the only site on the internet that shows all that he does – it’s a joy to spend a little time here – and see how much the Obama family do for their country.

15. May 16, 2012 at 9:01 pm

This makes 4 Obama nominees on the Fed Board-

At 10:30 the chamber on Thursday will begin consideration of Jeremy C. Stein and Jerome H. Powell for the Federal Reserve Board of Governors. Their nominations had previously been held up by Sen. David Vitter (R-La.). The Senate will vote to confirm the nominees at noon. Both votes have a 60-vote threshold but that shouldn’t be an obstacle since Senate leadership has voiced optimism that the nominations have strong bipartisan support.

The Hill-

16. May 16, 2012 at 9:08 pm

17. May 16, 2012 at 9:14 pm

18. May 16, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Any pictures of this encounter?

19. May 16, 2012 at 9:17 pm

20. May 16, 2012 at 9:33 pm

So, Rove just gave an interview to the WSJ, saying Obama Camp off to Rocky start.
    Huh? I don’t get it? What is Rove talking about?

• 113 criquet
      May 16, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Just practising his strategy of trying to turn a strength into a weakness.
      What this really means is that PBO’s roll-out has hit home and Rove feels he has to attck on behalf of Willard.

• 116 daisydem
      May 16, 2012 at 10:29 pm

What Obama (camp) is he talking about? Duh. Does he not see/hear the crowds? Oh, wait, this is bully (scaredy cat) Rove we are talking about.

May 16, 2012 at 10:48 pm

jovie141,Oh no! That isn’t true is it? I mean Karl Rove said so, so it got to be true. I can not believe that the Obama camp is off to a rocky start. Seriously, Karl Rove is another one of those bold face liars and he fit right in with Mitt Romney, that other liar.

• May 17, 2012 at 1:00 am

Rove is a big sack of lying crap that is not even fit to have his name in the same sentence with our president. I dislike Rove with a passion, and I truly do not believe anything this piece of crap will ever say about our president. Rove can kiss my behind.

Let us move FORWARD. Good night every one. Thank you for all that you do Chips. Lord knows we are going to all need to stick together as we move FORWARD. (((((((((((((((((( Love My TOD Family.))))))))))))))))))))) HZ

21. 120 terim
    May 16, 2012 at 9:44 pm

The Alien conversation between Will Smith’s son and President Obama is just too funny.

May 16, 2012 at 9:45 pm

23. 122 donna dem 4 obama
    May 16, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Just announced by OFA

We are 2 Million!

It’s official: 2 million people (and counting) have given to Obama 2012. Thanks to all the grassroots fundraisers, the donors who give a little each month, and the new supporters who now own a piece of this campaign.

24. 130 Ladyhawke
    May 16, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Softening, Merkel Says She Is Open to Stimulus for Greece

————————————-

BERLIN — Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany said Wednesday that she was ready to discuss stimulus programs to get the Greek economy growing again and that she was committed to keeping Greece in the euro zone, signaling a softer approach toward the struggling country.

————————————-

• May 16, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Phew! Let’s hope it works out.

• 132 Ladyhawke
        May 16, 2012 at 10:03 pm

A balanced approach. Where have I heard that before. His initials are President Barack Obama. The world is playing catchup with our guy. Love him to pieces. He’s ahead of the curve. Austerity and draconian cuts alone has been proven to be the wrong way to go.

• 133 Liberal Librarian
          May 16, 2012 at 10:30 pm

It’s the shellacking her party received in Germany’s largest state this weekend.

• 134 amk for obama
            May 16, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Yup. She can finally read the tea-leaves.

• May 17, 2012 at 5:50 am

The funny thing is this: Nord-Rhein Westfalen has more inhabitants than the Netherlands, but their gross domestic product is only 5/8th of ours.

• 136 andogriff
            May 17, 2012 at 6:00 am

No joke, LL, I live in NRW, and Merkel was well and truly smeared through the ballot box. Hopefully she will start to realize that austerity does not work, and that stimulus does.

May 16, 2012 at 10:02 pm

OFA Volunteers in Ohio are FIRED UP!!

26. May 16, 2012 at 10:04 pm

On April 13 the Environmental Protection Agency proposed the first-ever rules to limit carbon dioxide pollution from new power plants. Carbon dioxide is a major greenhouse gas that significantly contributes to climate change and threatens the health and safety of Americans. Existing power plants are responsible for adding more than 2 billion tons of carbon and other toxic pollutants into the air each year—nearly 13,000 pounds for every man, woman, and child in the United States. The new rules will reduce the pollution added by new power plants by 123 billion pounds annually.
    This piece explains the carbon pollution standard’s benefits and why it’s important. Besides cutting pollution the standard provides regulatory certainty for utilities planning to build new power plants. Still, big utilities and the coal companies, along with their congressional allies, are mobilizing to block the standard. But they’re out of touch with public opinion. Speak up on this issue by submitting a public comment to the EPA supporting the rule.

May 16, 2012 at 10:09 pm

G’Night TODville, can’t fight my eyelids anymore. Sweet dreams, everyone!

28. 142 Ladyhawke
    May 16, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Michigan elections officials had proof Emergency Manager repeal petitions were legal but kept it secret

By Eclectablog

• 143 0388jojothecat
      May 17, 2012 at 1:19 am

That is so disgusting, I went to eclectablog’s site and read the whole story. They knew all along the font size was not wrong yet they lied and the judge would not allow the testamony…….everybody is getting their hands greased to steal and cheat.

29. 144 PoliticalJunkessa
    May 16, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Watching excerpts of Joey’s speech today on LOD. Damn, he’s good! Nobody can connect with these people like Joey can. Senator Obama knew what he was doing in 2008 when he chose our Joey! I forgot how much I enjoyed his barnburners on the campaign trail 4 years ago. he is truly the “Happy Warrior.”

30. 145 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    May 16, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Maya Angelou Center for Women’s Health and Wellness

31. 146 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    May 16, 2012 at 10:26 pm

• 147 0388jojothecat
      May 16, 2012 at 10:56 pm

God bless that young man in the story on how PBS journalism project is helping him and his classmates stay focused in school. This is a good video to watch folks. Thank you Alycee for posting it.

32. 149 Liberal Librarian
    May 16, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Watching the Devils-Rangers game, and they showed Dennis Miller in the stands. As I assume he’s a Ranger’s fan, I say GO DEVILS!!!!

33. 152 proudmemberofglobalzero
    May 16, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Question to all. I just got the results for donations of my neighbors. My name is also on there. It was sent to me from Harvard University as a result of donations that are of public record, Did anyone else get one of these? First I want to say…I am shocked that all but two of my neighbors are dems. Shocked I say, Shocked. These are your fisherman here in Florida with boats. I will say the two R’s are men and the dems are a mix but mostly women.

May 16, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Wow. Never heard of such a thing. Kind of a privacy invasion on a grand scale, even if it is “public record”; public records are usually available to solicit, but they aren’t usually sent out to whole neighborhoods, in a mass mailing, giving up details on individual political contributions. Are they? This doesn’t sound right.

• 156 Alycee (@jazziz2)
      May 16, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Did you request this or was it sent unsolicited? The info is available on several sites like http://www.opensecrets.org/ ; http://www.fec.gov/finance/disclosure/advindsea.shtml ; etc.

• 157 proudmemberofglobalzero
        May 16, 2012 at 11:13 pm

I did not solicit it. I am glad it only gives my first name and last name initial. There are no addresses but I do know some of these people,

• 158 Alycee (@jazziz2)
          May 16, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Interesting. On the FEC site, it gives full name, address, profession, amount and donation date. OpenSecrets site gives full name, profession, amt and date.

I curious as to whether your doc was actually sent by Harvard University or was it sent by a political operative who either contracted Harvard Univ to prepare the report or who prepared the report themselves and made it appear to be from HarvardU.

• 159 Alycee (@jazziz2)
      May 16, 2012 at 11:11 pm

BTW, was the envelope’s return addr Harvard U?

May 16, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Okay, I see that Karl Rove has paid Twitter some coin to keep the hashtag about Obama’s budget trending. It’s been trending for HOURS now.

35. 161 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    May 16, 2012 at 10:55 pm

RIP Chuck Brown.

36. 165 Cozimfree
    May 16, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Everyday I wake and say what great will he do today. I still believe.

37. 170 nospin
    May 16, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Ed said that 39% of union households are backing Scott Walker and Ed says it is President Obama’s fault.

• 171 amk for obama
      May 17, 2012 at 12:38 am

wtf ? How ? Not to mention the fact that the union supported candidate didn’t even make it past the primary.

Fucking professional left/poutrage crowd. They only know how to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

• May 17, 2012 at 12:39 am

The Democratic Party, and this administration, are very likely to lose Wisconsin in November — because they’ve ignored the plight of the people fighhting fascism in this state. And I do not use that word lightly. That is what we are dealing with. Fascism. And Citizen’s United is winning. The proopaganda has never stopped. It has been very profession, very slick, very effective. Democrats in this state have fought so very hard. With so little support. And if the national Dems ignore us now, when we are so close to breaking, it’s going to be extremely difficult to get Dems to come out and vote in the fall. Do not underestimate, do not discount, how very, very difficult this has been. Our hearts are nearly broken.

And I would appreciate it if TOD’s would stop pissing on us, beating on us. With friends like these……

• 173 theo67
        May 17, 2012 at 12:56 am

But I have a simple question for you: If Dems in Wisconsin refuse to vote in the fall, then who will that hurt? This seems very short-sighted. To stay home or vote for the people who are actively hurting you doesn’t make any sense. I’m sorry, but the people of Wisconsin voted Scott Walker INTO office. He didn’t steal the election – he won fair and square. Why is it now the President and the Democratic Party’s responsibility to get the state out of the bed they created? This is a situation that the people of Wisconsin made of their own volition. People decided to vote for Walker instead of the Democrat. You really can’t blame anyone else. And your ultimatum doesn’t make sense, when it’s the people of Wisconsin who will suffer the most, plus unleash a GOP tirade of terror across this country if you let Walker win. Nobody else can vote in this recall election except for the people of Wisconsin.

If people in Wisconsin refuse to vote for Democrats, then it will be a generation (or more) of suffering, and a reversal of gains fought with actual lives over a century of effort and trying. Hold yourself accountable for the situation you’re in, instead of accusing people on this blog or in other states of creating this mess or not fixing it for you. There is a huge amount of support for the people of Wisconsin on this blog and other sites, but the only people who can vote are the people of Wisconsin – who voted Scott Walker into office in the first place.

• 174 amk for obama
          May 17, 2012 at 2:48 am

+1.

• May 17, 2012 at 9:16 am

But……

I’m trying to explain. Unless you understand what is happening in Wisconsin, you cannot understand what is happening in Michigan, in Florida, etc., etc. Selfl-righteousness not win converts.

• 176 theo67
            May 17, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Yes, self-righteousness doesn’t win converts, but neither does blaming others. My point is that I’ve seen plenty of support for the people of Wisconsin since BEFORE Scott Walker was elected, and it has only increased. I even donated pizza myself during the Capitol invasion. Everyone is rooting for the people of Wisconsin. And OFA is on the ground there, too.

But – all that means zero if the people of Wisconsin have not yet seen the light, and refuse to kick Scott Walker out of office. If he wins, it will mean disaster for all of us – yet, we are still seeing that a large percentage of the people support him. The dire consequences of Walker winning the recall battle cannot be understated. It angers me when I hear people from Wisconsin blaming people outside of Wisconsin for Walker’s fate – when it’s the people of Wisconsin who selected him over the Democrat, even after 2 years of GOP obstruction, and who are still supporting him in significant numbers.

Focus on educating your neighbors, family and friends. They are the ones who everyone is relying on to send a message to Walker and the Koch Brothers and the GOP.

• May 18, 2012 at 9:12 am

OFA is starting to coordinate, which is badly needed. But people simply do not have any understanding of how dire the situation is.

We need support (metaphorically) as a geographical area would need after it has experienced a natural disaster. And, in this case, it is exacerbated by a civil war.

P.S. Thank you for the pizza. I drove 400+ miles round-trip on week-ends to eat that pizza. Grandkids got a kick out of grandma protesting even though the kids themselves were a bit embarrassed….. But Grandma is still working to help support the two oldest grandkids who are already in college.

• 178 theo67
                May 18, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I’m sorry if I was harsh. Fingers crossed for the recall. And good on you for driving 400 miles to support the protest. You’re very welcome for the pizza! :)

• 179 0388jojothecat
        May 17, 2012 at 1:31 am

I was so proud that the people in WI and Michigan pounded the sidewalks and got the signatures to overturn the disasterous 2010 election. No one likes to hear I told you so and a lot of those that are fighting to overturn this mess probably did not vote for Walker but I know for a fact that money and ads do not always cause the candidate to win. Meg Whitman outspent Jerry Brown but the OFA and the Democratic Party had boots on the ground and we went door to door to defeat Meg Whitman and the Republicans. Wisconsin can do the same thing. Join OFA, get your neighbors involved, if you need people calling from outside the state, but you can’t give up and you can blame National Democratic party or the President. The President is in a fight to get re-elected and he asked you guys not to give back the keys. Either a bunch of Democrats stayed home or they voted Republican to “teach the president a lesson”. Wisconsin you have got to stop listening to Ed Shultz, he’s the one who was telling people to stay home and look where that got you.

• 180 0388jojothecat
          May 17, 2012 at 1:35 am

That’s Can’t blame the National Democratic party or the President.

• May 17, 2012 at 9:18 am

Abused people need support, not lectures.

• 182 0388jojothecat
            May 17, 2012 at 11:25 am

You posted here and told us what is going on in WI and it’s all the Democratic party and the President fault. You say you don’t need a lecture but we don’t one either, we want to help, we do support you but you have to hear some truths about your state and the people who elect people that want to bankrupt your state and destroy public workers. When your fellow union employees are voting for Walker when they should know better because they are next……”His Divide and Conquer” quote should be worn like a tire around his neck.

We want to support you and will. We know that ALL these GOP Republicans are bad for states because once you get a Democratic Govenor or President in office, they have to spend a lot of time cleaning up the mess. All I am saying please don’t turn on the National Democratic party and the Democratic President if you lose. Just don’t stop fighting to elect Democrats in your state houses, next governor, Senators, and THIS President. You had a great Senator in Feingold and either Democrats sat home or voted him out because from what I read in your newspapers, so many people wanted a change.

Take heart from what California did, we worked our asses off to get ALL Democrats in all the major positions in 2010 and we had a two millionaires outspending all the democrates, why didn’t Wisconsin, Florida, Michigan and Indiania vote in democrates. We had good candidates whiched helped. I am sorry that Feingold would not run for Governor because he would not be losing. You need to fire up your base to let people know what WI has to lose if they don’t get this Governor out and out now.

• May 18, 2012 at 9:01 am

You still don’t get it. I have never said “it is the president’s fault” — I have noted that the state needs the administration’s support. You made the extrapolation.

Truths — how sweet, but naive. Liberals deparatedly need to understand how people vote. Again, it is a common error. Many assume people vote rationally. The vast majority, including many on this site, do not. That is truth, supported by very excellent research. People vote emotionally. It’s the old brain that goes into the voting booth. And we’ve had the propaganda of a modern day Goebbels machine battering us for two years.

It is dangerous to be naive about what is happening. I sincerely didn’t think fascism could happen here. I was sadly mistaken.The last two years in Wisconsin have quite a wake-up call.

• 184 amk for obama
        May 17, 2012 at 2:53 am

With friends like these ?

Really. You project your failures on the president, dnc and others who question your failures ? Even after the walker disaster, If the dems in WI need constant prodding to vote, then they can own the mess that results.

Anyway, your post indicates preemptive blame gaming.

• May 17, 2012 at 9:34 am

What I’m saying is that there is a lot of blame here. This is common among liberals. Academically it is called “the mean green meme” (green because of the level of development it represents in integral ltheory). There is a mean-ness among liberals toward others that are perceived as not as enlighteded as they are, that are perceived as beneath them (developmentally). And, yes, this level, similar to the “cultural creatives” of Paul Ray’s worldview levels, is a developmental “edge” in many ways (I hesitate to use the terms “higher” or “deeper” because they are so often misunderstood). Just peruse down the threads and this nastiness toward others if evident. That’s not who Obama is. That’s not what Obama represents.. Because, for one thing, he is beyond the majority of us in a developmental sense.

If Dems lose in June, which is very likely, yes, we will have failed, in one sense. But it’s us against Goliath. What many don’t seem to understand is what we are up against. We the people are getting squashed – over and over again.

Your post indicates you don’t grasp what’s happening. These are not fair fights. The people of Wisconsin, Florida, Ohio, Virginia, Michigan, etc., etc. are NOT stupid. We cannot change the dynamics of what is happening in so many places in the U.S. if we continue to denigrate those who are experiences the effects of a growing fascism. And, yes, we do need support. We need it from the Dems nationally and we need it from the administration.

• 186 amk for obama
            May 17, 2012 at 9:42 am

I am not into a lot of theorizing on where the left goes/went wrong. My simpleton view – If you want change, then move your ass and vote. Repeatedly until you win that change, regardless of the setbacks you will inevitably face in political fights. All this the left needs to be led, guided and supported, frankly coddled, by higher beings meme bore me.

• May 17, 2012 at 9:54 am

Please, please, please — at least TRY to understand what is happening. Without awareness we cannot fight the enemy we are up against.

• 188 globalcitizenlinda
        May 17, 2012 at 5:27 am

I hope Dems in WI come out and vote out gov walker. we really need to beat him at the polls because the whole country will be watching.

I do not know how much you yourself are involved in the recall campaign on the ground but here is one piece of advice that could help out. I have heard a few people complain that the unions in WI are not doing all they can to mobilize African American voters especially in Milwaukee and other areas. I do not know if this is true but if this group and other minorities have been ignored thenthere is still a few weeks left to rectify this

• May 17, 2012 at 9:51 am

Milwaukee has greater extreme/concentrated poverty (defined as below half of the poverty rate) than most other cities per proportion of the population. Milwaukee has greater extreme poverty than New Orleans, for example. Milwaukee is usually from 3rd to 7th in the nation in terms of extreme poverty. That is the voter base volunteers are attempting to get to the polls. These are people attempting to survive.

Before Barrett, the administrator of Milwaukee was Walker!!! He left the city in shambles, economically. Like Romney is trying to blame PBO for current economic problems, Koch and Alec are blaming Barrett. And they have been for months. Very, very effectively.

The b.s. about unions is a common misperception. And it’s too long a story to get into here. The unions are fully backing Barrett and union members are working their behinds off.

At the same time, Walker’s divide-and-conquer methodology (well, Koch’s and ALEC’s) has been very effective. Blaming the parties below us in dominator hierarchies is very common, it is built-into-our-brains, in a sense. For more than two years, Wisconsinites have been programmed to blame the poor, to blame the uninformed, to blame the minorities, to blame the constantly-denigrated public employees. Think of the constant refrain of the Swift-Boaters against Kerry. That constant repetition has an effect, even if unconsciously.l

38. 190 Pamela
    May 16, 2012 at 11:53 pm

That’s it for me. My head is falling off now… Goodnight, sweet dreams and Yes We Will! See you tomorrow.

39. 191 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    May 17, 2012 at 12:22 am

Sharing the reality of the #KOCHSTER plot against our President with a wide range of folk ….

All of whom need to take it to a much higher level in the months ahead to ensure the Promise of America is NOT DESTROYED …

#AmericaThisIsNotATest

#PRESSON

40. 192 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    May 17, 2012 at 12:27 am

Given the ceremony today at the WH, this tweet really touched me deeply ….

#PRESSON

41. 193 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    May 17, 2012 at 12:38 am

The MEGA-FAIL of the #NEWSTAINERS …

#AmericaThisIsNotATest

#PRESSON

May 17, 2012 at 1:20 am

43. 199 Bill R.
    May 17, 2012 at 1:42 am

What the GOP fears the most- more minority babies being born now than white: http://t.co/dWprRLCY

44. 200 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    May 17, 2012 at 1:52 am

Ponder this ….

“The Book On Mitt Romney: Here Is John McCain’s Entire Opposition Research File

A document found online by BuzzFeed appears to be John McCain’s entire, 200-page opposition research file — or “book” — on Mitt Romney from 2008, the year they were bitter rivals. Segments of the book have been posted on RedState.com, but this the first time the document has been shared for public consumption in its entirety.”

Long knives are out … #BullyMitt is no match for the dudes who truly hate him and you can be sure Senator McCain is one of them … his mom certainly is ….

#AmericaThisIsNotATest

#PRESSON

• 201 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      May 17, 2012 at 1:55 am

#PRESSON

• 202 4morefor44
      May 17, 2012 at 2:25 am

that made the rounds a while ago too. i was skeptical then and now, especially if buzzfeed is involved. they’d never do anything to really expose rmoney. notice how the document doesn’t have anything about his personal taxes, offshore accounts, seamus the dog and all the various other things we’ve been discovering, and will continue to discover? i had been thinking that document was a false flag and getting people to think mittbot doesn’t seem all that bad after all, now move along…who knows…..

May 17, 2012 at 1:52 am

• 205 theo67
      May 17, 2012 at 2:00 am

Rightly so.

May 17, 2012 at 4:50 am

The little bit I have heard so far, man how I wish I could have heard VP Biden speech yesterday in Ohio.

May 17, 2012 at 5:00 am

Here’s something the media or Mitt Romney doesn’t talk about, his time as Governor of Massachusetts, has he just erased that period of his time. He can’t brag about jobs creation, when Massachusetts rank 47th out of 50 states in jobs. If I ever met anyone who think that Romney can do a better job with the economy, I would ask them what is it he will do?Also I would tell them to look at Romney’s record, as Governor, and at Bain Capital , his job was not to create jobs, but make money for his rich buddies.

• 210 globalcitizenlinda
      May 17, 2012 at 6:28 am

one guess: the MSM will not say a word about this but rather will continue pushing the negative numbers in the NYT poll

46. 211 overseasgranny
    May 17, 2012 at 6:44 am

I have been watching the Leveson hearing on Rupert Murdoch and phone hacking. Today’s witness was Daily Telegraph columnist, Peter Oborne. Although it is something we already know, his choice of words describing the relationship bertween the government and the press made more of an impact on me, and I paraphrase a bit:

That “Government” has become a “private conversation” between the elite [read the 1%]. [In fact, I noted to myself, a private conversation between the politician 1% and the Media 1%]

Oborne asserts there is a conspiracy between the politicians and the news media to mislead the “readers” [or public] for their own benefit [usually financial].

He also says they [the pols and media] are willing and do persue vulnerable minorities in a vicious way to accomplish their goals.

I have to go back and watch again.

May 17, 2012 at 6:50 am

48. 214 Dudette
    May 17, 2012 at 7:08 am

Wow, OFA has all the social media bases covered. Here’s a little somehing for the Obot pinterest fans:

49. May 17, 2012 at 7:25 am

Guten Morgan. I think?

May 17, 2012 at 7:29 am

gopolitico – 4.7 million viewers tuned in to watch President Obama on ABC’s ‘The View’ Tuesday.

51. May 17, 2012 at 7:33 am

OMAHA, Neb. — Late last Thursday, hours after Mitt Romney had wrapped up a large rally and one of the most successful fundraisers in Nebraska history, Gary Wilwerding was camped out with about a dozen others inside a small office in a strip mall here that was buzzing with activity.

(Mandel Ngan – AFP/Getty Images)
    As he has done for six to eight hours most weeks, Wilwerding, a 64-year-old retiree, was working to train other volunteers and help piece together data gathered from neighborhood canvassing and phonebanking.
    His objective: To defend the dot.
    The “dot” would be the Omaha-based 2nd Congressional District, an area that then-Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) narrowly won four years ago despite losing Nebraska’s statewide vote to Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) by a 15-percentage-point margin.
    That win wasn’t for naught: Nebraska, along with Maine, is one of only two states in the country that award a portion of their electoral college votes by congressional district, meaning that Obama came away from deep-red Nebraska with one of the state’s five electoral college votes.

1 electoral vote, better than none!

52. May 17, 2012 at 7:44 am

Robney and RNC got 40 million in April. That is a whole lot of cash for them. I don’t get it? Must be a whole lot of cash, from wall street just pouring in???
    Sigh!

May 17, 2012 at 7:50 am

The point is not how much money he raised – it’s how many individual donors? 10 Wall street tycoons giving 4million each does not translate to the same number of votes as 500K+ donors giving an average of $50 each.

And so far, all Robney’s cash and superpacs ads aren’t really helping him against PBO.

May 17, 2012 at 7:47 am

But I thought they said they wanted to talk about the economy and how Romney was a job creator?!?!?