May

The depths to which they’ll sink…..

NYT: A group of high-profile Republican strategists is working with a conservative billionaire on a proposal to mount one of the most provocative campaigns of the “super PAC” era and attack President Obama in ways that Republicans have so far shied away from.

Timed to upend the Democratic National Convention in September, the plan would “do exactly what John McCain would not let us do,” the strategists wrote.

The plan, which is awaiting approval, calls for running commercials linking Mr. Obama to incendiary comments by his former spiritual adviser, the Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr., whose race-related sermons made him a highly charged figure in the 2008 campaign.

“The world is about to see Jeremiah Wright and understand his influence on Barack Obama for the first time in a big, attention-arresting way,” says the proposal, which was overseen by Fred Davis and commissioned by Joe Ricketts, the founder of the brokerage firm TD Ameritrade. Mr. Ricketts is increasingly putting his fortune to work in conservative politics.

…. The group suggested hiring as a spokesman an “extremely literate conservative African-American” who can argue that Mr. Obama misled the nation by presenting himself as what the proposal calls a “metrosexual, black Abe Lincoln.”

A copy of a detailed advertising plan was obtained by The New York Times through a person not connected to the proposal who was alarmed by its tone. It is titled “The Defeat of Barack Hussein Obama: The Ricketts Plan to End His Spending for Good.”

More here

Morning everyone – this isn’t the chirpiest of starts to the day (it’ll get better later, promise), but it’s mind-blowing.

153 Responses to “The depths to which they’ll sink…..”

May 17, 2012 at 7:47 am

A comment? GM. 

May 17, 2012 at 7:52 am

GM Chips & TODville! The weather here is sunny and cool, but not TOO cool. In fact it was just right for an all-night campout at the gate to TODville. ;)

Thursday is off to a TERRIFIC start, as you can see! Chips, since this is for Amk and I, do you think I could have a picture of the happy couple, preferably with a happy baby? [Yeah. Yeah, I'm trying to make it difficult for CC as part of my payback.]

May 17, 2012 at 7:54 am

Good morning Vc, Chips TOD and lurkers, and congrats vcprez on # 1!

• 13 amk for obama
      May 17, 2012 at 7:56 am

Well done vc. +1 for the team.

• 15 Pamela
      May 17, 2012 at 8:37 am

You are too cool, vc. Well Done!

May 17, 2012 at 8:46 am

Thanks, Pamela. :lol: I’m pleased with the whole world this morning so I’m not complaining when I report that this is my second attempt to answer you. That quirky page switch thingy we were discussing last night happened again. First time yet today.
        You have yourself a great day!

• 17 Pamela
          May 17, 2012 at 8:58 am

{{{{{{{{{{{{vc}}}}}}}}}}}. Oh I will, I am receiving a brand new crown today! I shall be Queen; well, at the dentist…. Oh well. With you opening the first post, I feel it will be a very good day!

May 17, 2012 at 9:10 am

Oooo what a nice hug! Thanks, BTW, I thought females were all queens, with or without the crown? ;)

I actually have to head out in a little while myself for a doctor’s visit. My head hasn’t been feeling the way I think it should in the last week and a half (no comments CC ;) ), so after popping migraine pills almost daily – and I HATE MEDICATION – I booked an appointment. Wonder if she’ll just give me a new head, one which is built to my specifications? ;)

2. May 17, 2012 at 7:49 am

Banfield(CNN host)-
    Keep it clean out there.

Hmmmm!

3. May 17, 2012 at 7:51 am

All the campaign has to do is recycle the Race speech, put it as a commercial in one State and it will get all sorts of attention.
    Viola!

• 23 COS
      May 17, 2012 at 7:55 am

Good morning everyone. The only thing that I can say is NOT THIS TIME. Bill Press has been discussing this on his show this morning.

4. 24 joyce
    May 17, 2012 at 7:54 am

Good morning TOD family. I don’t think this attack will work. It didn’t the first time when people was just getting to know our president, and not now when everyone that know of him, like or love him. Like we do of course. Just my opinion.

May 17, 2012 at 7:59 am

I agree these attacks won’t work. It’s embarrassing that they are so desperate that they have to dig up the 2008 boogeyman that not even McCain saw fit to push. These Republicans are unimaginative and just damn stupid.

May 17, 2012 at 8:07 am

That last sentence of yours, Hf, completely encapsulates my response to this. Next.

• May 17, 2012 at 8:14 am

On Game change- Steve Smith said we have one shot- Rev Wright!
        From their POV, they truly believe that.

May 17, 2012 at 8:35 am

Jovie, I’ve never seen a real gun, but even **I** know that once you have fired your ‘one shot’ you can’t pick up the bullet and put it back in the gun to be fired again. In the words of a friend of mine – ‘These Republicans are unimaginative and just damn stupid.’ :roll:

• May 17, 2012 at 8:39 am

Again, from their POV, and especially if they get desperate, they think this will work.
            From their Point of View…

• 30 Pamela
            May 17, 2012 at 8:54 am

“This is not who we are.” ~ PBO. He has said this over and over, reaching into people’s sense of decency and respect for each other. Who among us wishes to show the world how ugly we can be, for what purpose? ‘They’ will fail, and spend a lot of money as they do so.

May 17, 2012 at 8:42 am

Well, they also thought Sarah Palin was the best thing since sliced bread!!

• 33 prettyfoot58
      May 17, 2012 at 9:36 am

Good Morning…TOD…..GM Chipssssss…sipping my coffee…

I agree…Joyce…..

but it just makes me more determined to do my part to get PBO re-elected…

5. May 17, 2012 at 7:58 am

Robney spokes Person stalked Buden and asked him about Coal production.
    West Virginia loves there Coal. EPA has banned Mountain top removal, which is being sued by Big Coal.
    As a result, Coal has lost production, and natural gas is filling in the void, which burns a lot cleaner.
    So, big coal has one play, Willard. Go look at his donations from last months 40 million dollar haul? Big Oil, Wall street and Big Coal- just painting his Pockets Green…
    Hmmmm!

6. 35 Bill
    May 17, 2012 at 7:58 am

Joe Ricketts and his family own the Chicago Cubs. Maybe he is mad that PBO is a White Sox fan. Boycott the Cubs.

• 36 Bill
      May 17, 2012 at 8:36 am

Rahm Emanuel is in favor of using taxpayer money to renovate Wrigley Field, the Cub’s aging ballpark, and Governor Pat Quinn is opposed. Hopefully Rahm will change his mind now.

• 37 57andfemale
      May 17, 2012 at 8:39 am

I have to tell my husband about this. He’s not a fanatic, but he watches games. This will end the Cubs for him.

May 17, 2012 at 9:34 am

Bill, it has nothing to do with the Cubs, it is all about the color of the man. There are people and they are not all poor red necks, there are rich, mostly older people who can’t stand the fact that a black man, a black man is President of their white United States.

• 39 Bill
        May 17, 2012 at 9:47 am

Anniebella, I agree. I was teasing about the Cubs, but in the future when I look at the baseball scores I’ll be pulling for the Cubs to have lost.

7. 40 Linda
    May 17, 2012 at 8:00 am

So they are going to spend millions preaching to the Choir ?

• 41 debbyeOh
      May 17, 2012 at 11:09 am

This! And it could be used for so many, many better things. Shame on thm, like my mamma says, “God ain’t pleased!”

May 17, 2012 at 8:00 am

I read that nyt piece. Apparently it is a buncha losers from the mccain and huntsman teams who are pushing this on to a racist senile man.

After 24×7 msm freakout over Rev Wright in 2008, which didn’t do the trick then, is an old news for the voters in 2012. Nothing is gonna happen much though I am glad it has been exposed now and thus lose whatever little potent it might have had by the time convention rolls around.

9. 43 Me4obama
    May 17, 2012 at 8:00 am

Bring it on. It’s going to backfire BIG TIME. Obama KILLED OSAMA will be the answer to that garbage. I say BRING IT ON SUCKERS.

May 17, 2012 at 8:02 am
    May 17, 2012 at 8:03 am

See? Nothing to see here. The toothless snake is being further eviscerated as we speak.

May 17, 2012 at 8:08 am

About mehmney’s april fund raising, it would be interesting how many small donors are there ? Of course, if the campaign releases it.

May 17, 2012 at 8:17 am

Ah, the typical rethug shenanigans.

14. 53 collegekay
    May 17, 2012 at 8:18 am

SMH I hate these bitches.

Btw, if anyone is wondering, a metrosexual is a man who cares about his appearance. Essentially, they’re calling him a pretty boy.

I’m sure Axe, Plouffe, Messina, and Stef Cutter are ready for these negative ads.

15. May 17, 2012 at 8:19 am

Tell Moaning Joke that the Budget Control Act is for 2 years, he is moaning that the Senate has not passed a Budget.
    Lies, all lies!

16. May 17, 2012 at 8:25 am

After Today, the Fed Board will have 4 out of 7 members all appointed by this President.
    That has never happened with the Fed, this President has his Peeps in the Fed, just in case. I hope they will stop these Banks from messing around, and provide stimulus when needed.

17. 56 relellit
    May 17, 2012 at 8:28 am

Good Morning everyone

Congratulations vcprezofan2

I heard a caller on Bill Press say that Rickett ‘s guy son is gay. I wonder how does it feel about his dad tainting Obama. The caller also said Ricketts spent a lot on Sharon Angle and wanted the tax payer here in Chicago to cough up the money for his purchase of Wrigley Field.

Sharon Angle??? That says it all. He is a whacked out tea bagger. I wonder how much has he given to the Deadbeat Dad in our state?

BTW: Tea bagger participation is down. This is gonna backfire. KKKlanity is also pushing the Ed Klien book about our President ‘s association with Rev Wright and some bribe or tape. Of course KKKlanity mentions Rev Wright and Bill Ayers every night.

18. 57 Carol
    May 17, 2012 at 8:30 am

Won’t that make mormonism fair game? Romney does not want to go there…

• May 17, 2012 at 8:36 am

Which is why they made our Campaign denounce attacks on Mormonism.

• 59 jackiegrumbacher
        May 17, 2012 at 8:49 am

They may have made the campaign denounce those attacks, but that doesn’t bind other people. It’s stupid on their part to bring up religion at all. Romney is a million plus times for vulnerable on this.

• 60 nospin
        May 17, 2012 at 12:34 pm

PO denounced the attacks because he does not attack people based on their religion. I don’t think there was a political rationale behind that decision. There are legitimate differences and arguments to be made between PO and Romney. Religion isn’t one of them.

• 61 57andfemale
      May 17, 2012 at 9:49 am

If what is said at your place of worship is an issue than Romney does not get to take his religion off the table.

19. May 17, 2012 at 8:30 am

These folks are disgusting! It will be nasty. The guy who wrote the latest rag claimed on Hannity’s radio show that he has hours of taped conversation with Rev. Wright, who is livid at the president for “throwing him under the bus”. Hannity, of course asked him for copies because he would love it for his tv program. We are in for a dirty fight.

• 63 Linda
      May 17, 2012 at 8:38 am

If true…it sounds more like Rev Wright is throwing the President under the bus…..the AA community will punish Wright for this.

• 64 Pamela
        May 17, 2012 at 9:06 am

I think so too, Linda. Wright should beat them to it, and rack up his next few million by refuting everything that has happened before now, and finally standing up for what is true and right: that PBO is who and what he seems. Perhaps the Reverend is being given a second chance to redeem his Soul. I hope he makes the correct choice.

• 65 nospin
        May 17, 2012 at 12:37 pm

No I won’t. Rev Wright had a legitimate reason to be upset so if he said anything to that person during that time where he was unfairly slandered, his anger was warranted.

However, that tactic by the Republicans will not work.

• 66 57andfemale
      May 17, 2012 at 9:48 am

Wright’s been out there already on this.

• 67 nathkatun7
      May 17, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Only right wingers can hold contradictory views and think that they are making sense. If Hannity plans to show that”Rev. Wright is livid at the the President for throwing him under the bus” then how does it make sense to attack the President for being under the control of Rev. Wright?

20. May 17, 2012 at 8:34 am

WASHINGTON –  Mapping the way out of an unpopular war, the United States and NATO are trying to build an Afghan army that can defend the country after 130,000 international troops pull out. The alliance’s plans for arm’s-length support for Afghanistan will be a central focus of the summit President Barack Obama is hosting Sunday and Monday in Chicago.

The problem with the exit strategy is that someone has to pay for that army in an era of austerity budgets and defense cutbacks.

The problem for the United States is how to avoid getting stuck with the check for $4.1 billion a year.

“This has to be a multilateral funding effort,” said Pentagon spokesman George Little. “We think there should be contributions from other countries.”

That’s partly why so many non-NATO nations are getting invitations to the summit. About 60 countries and organizations are expected to be represented, including nations such as Japan that are far removed from the trans-Atlantic defense pact’s home ground.

Lots of details, this weekend, will be revealed.

21. 69 relellit
    May 17, 2012 at 8:35 am

Correction: I wonder how does it feel about his dad trying to taint President Obama. I ‘m am sure people our sick of this ugliness. Why not try to slander foreign or domestic policy instead? Anybody who supported that goof-ball Teabagger, Sharon Angle, isn’t too bright. People are going to look at this as slime.

May 17, 2012 at 8:38 am
    • 71 Pamela
      May 17, 2012 at 9:12 am

How is it they all seem to ignore or have forgotten, PBO went up for election against Hillary (and Bill) Clinton. If there was a.n.y.t.h.I.n.g at all to find, it would have been brought to light and we would have been battered with it relentlessly. As it is, and has history is already showing us, Barack Obama is a fine, intelligent, principled and compassionate man. Who really cares what color his skin happens to be? The sad part, I guess, they only can see in him what they know themselves to be: wretched, grasping, selfish, mean-spirited, dark. No wonder they cannot find their way forward. “Life goes not backwards, nor tarries with yesterday”. ~ Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet.

• May 17, 2012 at 8:41 am

Huge thanks for those links professorx10, will have a look at them. These people need to be well and truly exposed, that NYT article is a good start.

• 75 professorx10
      May 17, 2012 at 8:42 am

Spread it far and wide.

• 76 Don
      May 17, 2012 at 8:53 am

I’m surprised this guy from TD Ameritrade would actually put his company at the forefront of this latest attack on President Obama. I’ll give a couple of days before he changes his mind after his business starts to suffer.

23. 77 rikyrah
    May 17, 2012 at 8:43 am

Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, who represents the District of Columbia, talks about how House Republicans are bullying her district into radical anti-abortion laws it can’t vote against, after attempting to undermine the Violence Against Women Act.

24. 78 lisalovesobama
    May 17, 2012 at 8:43 am

So what I’m getting from all the voter suppression, debt talk and religious propaganda is that it’s obviously not “the economy stupid.”

25. 82 jackiegrumbacher
    May 17, 2012 at 8:43 am

For all the vaunted millions spent on these ads, they’re really amateurish. It’s all boogeyman, boogeyman, boogeyman, when you’re actually dealing with a president people know and have learned to like and trust for the last three and a half years. This Rev. Wright focus is beyond idiotic. This carcass was dissected and analyzed to death in 2008 and screeched out by Palin on a daily basis. It will be news to no one who wasn’t in a coma in 2008. After all these years, these guys still don’t know who they’re dealing with and how this stuff is going to come back and bite Romney in the rear. The face that they would reference a “literate conservative African American tells you all you need to know about the racist subtext. The ad mayl play to Romney’s base , but it will motivate the president’s.

May 17, 2012 at 8:57 am

Jackie you’re so right. That’s what I’ve been trying to tell some friends on Twitter. That it’s not simply the amount of $$ that Romney is raising. That all the $$$ in world thrown at a decrepit campaign simply makes it more dysfunctional. There is a point of diminishing returns on investment and the GOP is in for the shock of their lives – that point will be reached for them much sooner than they ever anticipated.

President Obama is not Santorum, Newt, or Herman Cain. He’s not the relative unknown entity that he was in 2008. He’s a known entity, has a solid record of achievement and progress to run on; he has a massive, well-organized and executed, people-powered campaign. He’s a pioneer in the use of social media and advanced information technology to break through the dishonest media firewall of corrupt lies and protected interests. I’m not saying it’s going to be cakewalk, but the fear of Romney’s so-called fundraising is exaggerated – given what we know. We saw for our own eyes that Romney outspent Santorum and everyone else in the GOP primaries by 5 to 1 in most cases – yet struggled against Santorum in key GOP strongholds and still hasn’t wrapped up the number of delegates he needs for an official nomination

May 17, 2012 at 8:45 am
  27. 89 jackiegrumbacher
    May 17, 2012 at 8:46 am

WordPress is being a colossal pain today. It’s making me re-sign in with every comment. What gives?

• May 17, 2012 at 8:54 am

You know how sometimes a dying person rises up out of the bed for one last shout out of garbage at the world . . . .
      This is what the Ricketts plan reminds me of. And I am also glad for TOD and all other efforts to sort it out
      to the last piece of rubble.

28. 91 Don
    May 17, 2012 at 8:49 am

So now the GOP is about to unleash an unprecedented scorched earth plan to defeat President Obama, good luck with that. Just remember one thing GOP, you got to bring ass to get ass.

29. May 17, 2012 at 8:55 am

I’ve been furious with Joe Ricketts for a long time. Contacted Chgo Cubs when he was donating millions to tea party candidates across the country, namely Sharon Angle—dumped a truck load there trying to oust Harry Reid. And he’s gross—–in every way. Was charged with harassment by 2 ladies who served on a foundation board with him, he fired them. He would do things like put a golf ball on their desk with a message that he wanted to get into their hole. I mentioned to Cubs that Chicagoans who support the Cubs in a big way are not rt. wing wacko Republicans, in fact, the opposite, very proud and supportive of their hometown guy, President Obama and will be disgusted by his political activities and donations. I did get some sort of nebulous response, but you can contact the Cubs at fanservices@cubs.com
    These kind of billionaire haters trying to stir up racial animosities are the worst kind of human beings, the worst Americans.

30. 94 Don
    May 17, 2012 at 8:56 am

What’s next, are they going to start saying Obama has the cooties?

31. 95 rikyrah
    May 17, 2012 at 8:56 am

12-Year Old Child Reveals One of the Best Kept Secrets in the World
    12-year old exposes the immorality of the global banking system and why sound money is essential to freedom and stopping the spread of misery on this planet

• 97 0388jojothecat
        May 17, 2012 at 11:05 am

The future Prime Minister of Canada. States need to have their own banks so that they can control their debt and prosper. I think North Dakota has a state bank and they are not in debt. A state like California would do well with over 30 million people and a projected population of 40 million in 2020 and growing.

32. May 17, 2012 at 9:01 am

Oh Please Oh Please Republicans! Keep pretending its 2008! Please do!

33. 99 rikyrah
    May 17, 2012 at 9:01 am

Wednesday, May 16, 2012
    Meet Pete, Austerian Elite
    Posted by Zandar

If you’ve not heard the name of Wall Street tycoon Peter J. Peterson, you’ve seen the ads his foundation has put out. If America has a king of the Austerians, it’s this guy.

Peter Peterson, a Wall Street billionaire who has been calling for cuts to Social Security and other government programs for years, is hosting a “fiscal summit” Tuesday that brings together Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, former President Bill Clinton, Rep. Paul Ryan, House Speaker John Boehner, Tom Brokaw and Politico’s John Harris, among a host of other elites who will gather at the Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium.

Now, how can a guy like Peterson have that much pull with Clinton, Paul Ryan, Orange Julius, and the Village press? Real simple: He’s spent close to a half a billion dollars in 4 years in order to convince Democrats, Republicans and the Village that it’s time to end government programs like Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security.

34. 100 rikyrah
    May 17, 2012 at 9:04 am

Posted at 08:28 AM ET, 05/17/2012
    The Morning Plum: Reverend Wright is back!
    By Greg Sargent

Let’s get right to the read of the morning: A group of high profile GOP operatives, bankrolled by a conservative billionaire, is hatching a plan to run millions of dollars worth of ads tying “Barack Hussein Obama” to that old standby, Jeremiah Wright. The operative theory here is that Romney should not repeat the mistake John McCain made in ruling this attack line off limits.

The New York Times reports:

The $10 million plan, one of several being studied by Mr. Ricketts, includes preparations for how to respond to the charges of race-baiting it envisions if it highlights Mr. Obama’s former ties to Mr. Wright, who espouses what is known as “black liberation theology.”
    How will the group rebut those “race-baiting” charges? Easy: By hiring “an extremely literate conservative African American” spokesperson to make the case that Obama misled the nation by falsely portraying himself as a “metrosexual black Abe Lincoln.”

35. 101 rikyrah
    May 17, 2012 at 9:07 am

May 16, 2012 5:12 PM

Kiss My Frame, Genuflect To My Spin

By Ed Kilgore

The roiling dispute over Georgetown University’s speaking invitation to HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius—a Catholic, BTW—was for a good while typical of the longstanding Cold War over the intellectual independent of Catholic colleges. Yes, the conservative Cardinal Newman Society got attention by circulating a petition demanding that Georgetown rescind the invitation, but the Society is forever fulminating about half the speaking invitations Catholic colleges issue. It’s what they do.

But now Washington archbishop Daniel Cardinal Wuerl has taken up the cudgels against Georgetown for its temerity in inviting Sebelius to speak, and on quite interesting grounds: he objects to how Georgetown’s administration is framing the issue of Sebelius’ fitness to speak, as WaPo’s Michelle Boorstein reports

On Tuesday, the archdiocese of Washington, led by Cardinal Donald Wuerl, criticized Georgetown President John J. DeGioia for remarks he issued a day earlier — apparently to address the controversy — saying DeGioia had mischaracterized the issue as being about birth control. As the region’s top Catholic official, Wuerl is responsible for making sure Catholic institutions, including Georgetown, follow church teachings.
    DeGioia “does not address the real issue for concern — the selection of a featured speaker whose actions as a public official present the most direct challenge to religious liberty in recent history,” reads the statement from the archdiocese, which covers the District and suburban Maryland.

So the Cardinal’s main objection isn’t to the underlying logic of the Jesuit school’s case for including a high-ranking Catholic public official in the circle of discussion at its public policy school, but to Georgetown’s challenge to the Bishops’ spin on their conflict with the Obama administration. Obviously, if Georgetown’s leadership bought the idea that the mild-mannered HHS Secretary was truly a tyrant, treasonously seeking to crush the religious rights of her co-religionists, they probably woudn’t want her on campus. But that’s the point on which they are asked—nay, commanded—to bend the knee.

Sure looks like the Bishops are a mite defensive—maybe even vulnerable—in their conviction that Catholics are going to accept the idea that insurance regulations are a deadly threat to the continued existence of a two-thousand-year-old faith.

36. 102 rikyrah
    May 17, 2012 at 9:09 am

Posted at 04:32 PM ET, 05/16/2012
    TheWashingtonPost
    Obama camp: Romney benefitting from mass ignorance about Bain years
    By Greg Sargent

As I’ve been noting here, a key danger for Obama is that swing voters appear open to the basic premise of Mitt Romney’s candidacy: that his experience turning around troubled companies has left him well equipped to turn around an entire country and its economy.

A recent Gallup poll found that 55% say the economy would get better over the next four years if Romney were elected, compared with 46% who say it would improve if Obama were re-elected — suggesting voters already may equate Romney’s business success with the economic competence they seem to want in a president.

On a conference call with reporters just now, I asked Obama campaign adviser Stephanie Cutter to respond to these numbers — and asked whether they are worrisome to the Obama team. Cutter acknowledged that the campaign has more work to do to persuade voters to see Romney’s business experience on the Obama campaign’s terms.

May 17, 2012 at 9:12 am

Morning! Struggling with allergies or something today…my throat is killing me and my head is more than a little stuffy. AH! The fires that are burning the place down (like every year) were really bad the other day. The wind was blowing the WRONG way, and blew all the smoke INTO the valley…I thought the only thing missing that day was embers from the fires falling on us. Awful.

Anyway, Chips…you HAVE to post this comic…it’s great!!!

Couldn’t follow the link to the story this morning, maybe I’ll read it all later. Their desperation is showing, and I really think that they’ll regret dragging that old Rev. Wright carcass out again. Seriously, they all think they’re so smart….by half. If they had anything of substance to go on, they would, and they don’t, so we’re now digging in the trash can, looking for the recyclables. What the fuck ever.Still won’t work.

38. 106 rikyrah
    May 17, 2012 at 9:13 am

Senate GOP backs radical Ryan plan
    By Steve Benen – Thu May 17, 2012 7:59 AM EDT.

The Senate Republican leadership, all of which backed the Paul Ryan budget plan.
    It was “budget bonanza” day in the U.S. Senate yesterday, with the chamber taking up several budget bills with the express purpose of defeating all of them. It was, at a certain level, inane political theater, which Capitol Hill reporters were inclined to ignore.

I’m not unsympathetic to the indifference. Watching senators go through the motions yesterday certainly seemed like a petty “game” in which the parties tried to score cheap points off of one another. We even got another round of press releases about the 1,000+ days since the Senate approved a budget (a talking point that isn’t really true).

But before the political world blows off yesterday’s developments altogether, there was one vote that actually warrants some attention. As Joan McCarter explained:

Wednesday], except for a couple of hypocrites worried about reelection, Senate Republicans joined their House brethren and voted to end Medicare as we know it. The only really interesting vote was on Rep. Paul Ryan’s budget, the one that the House passed and that Mitt Romney has endorsed. It failed 58-41.

Five Republicans (Scott Brown [MA], Susan Collins [ME], Dean Heller [NV], Rand Paul [KY] and Olympia Snowe [ME]) rejected that bill

39. 107 globalcitizenlinda
    May 17, 2012 at 9:13 am

Chips, I know your intent was not to make me despise these rightwingers more than I already do but wow, I am mad as hell with these creeps!!

If anyone ever doubted the heavy lifting we will have to do then this article lifts the remaining curtain.

The soul of the American people will be on trial by the end of this election cycle but I believe PBO will previal

May 17, 2012 at 9:15 am

This is at the heart of what they mean when they say they want their country back:

41. May 17, 2012 at 9:15 am

Also, when they run those Wright ads, it probably makes them feel better.
    This might be therapeutic for them. LOL!
    You follow?

42. 110 rikyrah
    May 17, 2012 at 9:16 am

Romney’s air kiss to Bill Clinton
    By E.J. Dionne Jr., Published: May 16
    The Washington Post

Mitt Romney was against Bill Clinton before he was for him.

There was Romney, campaigning Tuesday in Iowa, praising the nation’s previous Democratic president and casting him as far superior to the current incumbent.

“Almost a generation ago, Bill Clinton announced that the era of big government was over,” Romney declared. “Clinton was signaling to his own party that Democrats should no longer try to govern by proposing a new program for every problem.” President Obama, he said, “tucked away the Clinton doctrine in his large drawer of discarded ideas.”

So you might assume that Romney likes Clinton. But that would be wrong. Scrambling during the GOP primaries this year to explain why he had voted in the 1992 Massachusetts Democratic presidential primary for the late Sen. Paul Tsongas, Romney invoked that old GOP standby: Clinton hatred.

“In my state of Massachusetts, you could register as an independent and go vote in [whichever] primary happens to be very interesting,” Romney averred. “And any chance I got to vote against Bill Clinton or Ted Kennedy, I took.”

Now, strictly speaking, I suppose that Romney can praise Clinton now while once having voted against him. Or he can claim that, while he prefers Clinton to Obama, he preferred Tsongas to Clinton. That so much of what Romney says requires such careful parsing suggests how little he feels bound by anything he has said in the past. For Romney, every day is a blank slate. Consistency, he seems to think, is the hobgoblin of losing campaigns.

There is more here than casual flip-flopping. Romney says he likes Clinton’s view of government better than Obama’s. And it’s true that government’s share of the economy grew under Obama because he inherited a downturn and baby boomers got older.

43. 111 rikyrah
    May 17, 2012 at 9:17 am

May 16, 2012 2:03 PM

Super-O-Rama

By Ed Kilgore

So today we learn from Politico’s Ken Vogel that the people behind the three biggest pro-Democratic Super-PACs (the Senate-focused Majority PAC, the House Majority PAC, and the presidentially-oriented Priorities USA Action) are planning a gigantic, coordinated blowout fundraising effort at the Democratic National Convention. In a collective lapse of imagination, they are calling it “Super-O-Rama.”

Gotta say, folks, this news bears the aroma of desperation, or at least procrastination. Karl Rove’s Crossroads GPS has just committed to buying $25 million in ads during the next month, matching the Obama campaign’s ad blitz. Not to be intimidated, Democratic Super-PACs are talking about raising some serious jack in September. In case it’s slipped anyone’s mind, the election is in November, and I suspect an awful lot of ad time will be off the table by September.

Timing aside, I can see the logic of using the convention for a fundraising blitz. The event offers a unique concentration of political and non-political celebrity talent—sort of like the anterooms off the House and Senate floors, only with some of the lobbyists replaced by media stars. I mean, where else can you get half the Senate Democratic Caucus to take turns rattling the cup with five or six Oscar-winners?

But the bad news is that the Super-PACs will be competing for the attention of big money people with an awful lot of other events. Virtually every organization even vaguely connected to Democratic politics will throw parties and/or briefings; most convention attendees spend half their time attending these events and the other half wrangling invites and gossiping about it all (or so I’ve heard—I typically work 18-hour days at the convention, trapped in a speech rehearsal room or in some rabbit-warren of a script-writing cubicle, hoping against hope that I can swipe lunch off some politician’s food cart). The very features of a convention that make it an ideal place for money and star-power to come together also make it a logistical nightmare.

But hey, I guess it’s good the money-hustlers have some idea of how they will get within shouting distance of conservative money this year. Obviously Democrats will be less dependent on Super-PACs than the GOP, having an incumbent president and also a much stronger small-donor base, not to mention superior ground resources. But it would be helpful to ensure that Democratic Super-PACs aren’t in a position of “competing” with Rove and company by dominating the critical 2:00-3:00 a.m. time slot.

• May 17, 2012 at 9:22 am

I think it’s a good idea!

• 113 TrumpDog
      May 17, 2012 at 9:23 am

:roll: :roll: :roll:

• 114 prettyfoot58
      May 17, 2012 at 9:51 am

Why is it that whenever the President and his allies plan any kind of fundraising…it is coined by the MSM as an act of desperation..

.what could be more desperate than what that article in the NYT outlines….

what could be more desperate than Boehner trying to re-engage the debt fight….

what could be more desparate than MSM defending Romney against…the Obama/Biden campaign’s Bain Capital ad…

now that is desperation….

FORWARD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

May 17, 2012 at 9:17 am

Willard’s best bud in Israel apparently says he doesn’t really know him…

45. May 17, 2012 at 9:20 am

The violence against Womens act just passed by the house, omitted American Indians.
    Can you believe that?

46. 120 rikyrah
    May 17, 2012 at 9:22 am

May 17, 2012
    Bring it on
    One could give a lot of deep thought for a very long time to creating the absolute dumbest ad campaign against President Obama this fall, but one could never outdo in rank imbecility what some strategic boyz from the GOP hood, in cahoots with Joe Ricketts, TD Ameritrade’s founder and a Chicago Cubs owner, have come up with.

It’s so dumb, it reminds me of those goofy CIA anti-Castro plots from the early 1960s, or perhaps some really inventive sort of an Ollie North credit default swap between Middle East and Latin American terrorists. It’s so dumb, only the rancid bile that bubbles from diseased minds suffering horribly from Obama Derangement Syndrome could conceive of such a thing.

And it’s so extraordinarily dumb, they’ll probably do it.

What’s “it”? To “jolt” the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, N.C. in four months, by doing “exactly what John McCain would not let us do,”say these Mad Men–by running $10 million in TV ads “linking Mr. Obama to incendiary comments by his former spiritual adviser, the Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr.”; by buying “full-page newspaper advertisements featuring a comment Mr. Wright made”; by renting “outdoor advertisements”; and, get this, by flying “huge aerial banners … over the convention site for four hours one afternoon.”

Wait. Not really Ollie North stuff. More like Jack Lemmon’s character of Professor Fate, in “The Great Race,” right?

47. 121 Esmerelda
    May 17, 2012 at 9:24 am

US weekly unemployment claims unchanged at 370 000 although four week moving average is down from 379 000 to 375 000

48. 122 Pamela
    May 17, 2012 at 9:32 am

Time To Donate! :lol:

49. 123 miss pat
    May 17, 2012 at 9:32 am

Good morning folks. I was away, came back and tried to catch up but I can’t seem to get anywhere. Anyway, happy belated Mother’s Day to all the mothers. I got a cruise for mothers day, splashed in sea water and tried not to eat up all the bad food and I did good.
    Please folks, ignore the fools.

You all remember that man Oliver somebody that they trotted out to defend Zimmerma? Whey him dey? (Where is he?) Any Black man think he is bad enough to come out against this President for money will find out that he will never be welcomed back into Black or White society ever again.

The President is blessed. Rev Wright’s preaching has nothing to do with him. I sat down in Church and listened to preacher and it went in one ear and out the other. Parson had girlfriends in the Amen corner so we just ignored him.

Maybe the President did just that if and when he went to church and the good Rev start talking tripe.
    So sit back, relax and watch the idiot them run around trying to catch them tail. Forgive me, my Jamaican took over my English!

Whew, I’m riled up, revved up, fired up…Bring it on. Miss Ann, his Toots, his father and grnadfather and all the African ancestors that rode in the belly of the ships are in control. Plus he has us; we have his back.

50. May 17, 2012 at 9:32 am

Heard they’re trying to get Larry Elder as their “literate, conservative African American spokesperson” who hates President Obama and is willing to trash him.

51. 129 trinisamba
    May 17, 2012 at 9:34 am

I have one word for this pre-historic approach………….D-I-S-G-U-S-T-I-N-G……………V-I-L-E……………..B-E-Y-O-N-D J-U-V-E-N-I-L-E…oops………I said one word…………………… but it is indeed mind boggling that they are sooo stupid . They are tying their own noose.

52. May 17, 2012 at 9:41 am

Berkshire(Warren Bufett) to buy most media central newspapers.
    Ahh…, that is good news.

53. 132 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    May 17, 2012 at 9:41 am

Ricketts, Rove, Kochs …. no matter how much money they spend spreading their hate as they attempt to destroy America they are going to get crushed on 6 Nov 2012 …

#AmericaThisIsNotATest

#PRESSON

May 17, 2012 at 9:44 am

Hold the fort, TODobots, and don’t let anything too, too exciting happen. I’m going on the road for a couple of hours. ENJOY your day while thinking of that visual of our President ‘saying’ “Ive got this!” in response to GOP hysteria. You all know the visual I’m referencing. :lol: Later

55. May 17, 2012 at 9:45 am

‘Fuzzy Jobs Math’
    By Steve Benen – Thu May 17, 2012 9:28 AM EDT.

Mitt Romney’s campaign team told reporters earlier yesterday there would be no questions for the candidate at any point during the day. As it turns out, that wasn’t quite true — the presumptive Republican nominee was willing to answer plenty of questions from conservative blogger and radio host Ed Morrissey.

Of particular interest yesterday was Romney responding to criticisms of his controversial work at Bain Capital, where he orchestrated leveraged buyouts, flipping companies quickly for large profits, at the expense of thousands of workers who were considered collateral damage. Romney tried to turn around talk about the mass layoffs he engineered.

In reference to his private-sector background — which, apparently, is the only aspect of Romney’s experiences that are supposed to matter in 2012 — Romney claimed:

“We were able to help create over 100,000 jobs…. On the president’s watch, about 100,000 jobs were lost in the auto industry and auto dealers and auto manufacturers, so he’s hardly one to point a finger.”

The Nation’s Ari Berman argued that Romney is guilty of “fuzzy jobs math,” and Ari’s absolutely right. The closer one looks at this, the more delusional Romney’s argument appears.

First, President Obama’s rescue of the American automotive industry (over Romney’s objections) is largely the opposite of Bain Capital’s vulture-capitalist tactics. The comparison is silly. But even if we put that aside, Obama’s rescue policy saved over 1 million jobs and according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, auto industry employment has increased by over 100,000 jobs since Obama took office in January 2009. Romney has this backwards.

Second, Romney keeps moving the goal posts on his Bain-era job totals. Asked about the jobs he created in the private sector, Romney has gone from “10,000 jobs,” to “tens of thousands of jobs,” to “over 100,000 new jobs,” then back to “tens of thousands jobs,” then down to “thousands of jobs,” then up to “some 120,000 jobs” (using an amusing standard), and now back down to “over 100,000 jobs.”

This isn’t true, and the constantly-changing figure has become laughable.

56. May 17, 2012 at 9:46 am

Jobless claims remained steady at 370k. 4 week rolling average fell 4750.
    But Reuters and every business channel spins it as bad news.
    Bad news for who? And that report is not to bad. Seems like they have their talking points ready, before any data comes out!

May 17, 2012 at 9:47 am

All you Scandal watchers….I see that tonight is the season finale…….

May 17, 2012 at 9:50 am

The stupid. It hurts. http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/05/17/485778/steve-king-uninsured/

During an appearance on CSPAN’s Washington Journal Thursday morning, Rep. Steve King (R-IA) claimed that the Affordable Care Act would increase the number of Americans without health insurance, dismissing analysis showing that 30 million people would gain coverage under the law.

snip/

King’s analysis of health policy couldn’t be more wrong. While organizations and hospitals do provide emergency services to uninsured Americans, the cost of that uncompensated care is shifted to private premium payers, resulting in higher health care spending system-wide. Obamacare accepts King’s premise of encouraging personal responsibility and will require able-bodied citizens to pay for their own health care expenses beginning in 2014.

May 17, 2012 at 9:55 am

Hilarious mittbot video where he refuses name shrub even once instead calling him ‘his predecessor’ all the time. So much for dubya’s ‘endorsement’.

60. May 17, 2012 at 9:55 am

Hiddee, Hidedee, Ho, Ho, Ho, O’s!!!!! A stellar getting up day in the TOD domain!!! So, we’re back in 2008 again? Well, I say, bring it oooonnnn, you idjits! PBO likability rating is through the roof, even with independents. Do they actually think this is a winning strategy?

Too bad ol’ MoMoney can’t put these geniuses back into the bottle, but he knew they were snakes when he brought them in.

61. May 17, 2012 at 10:09 am

The Jeremiah Wright is now trending on Twitter. PPl are royally pissed about Ricketts’ super pac.

62. 146 xtine
    May 17, 2012 at 10:13 am

WTF! What’s up w/ these dickheads and their use of “extremely?”:

“The group suggested hiring as a spokesman an “extremely literate conservative African-American” who can argue that Mr. Obama misled the nation by presenting himself as what the proposal calls a ‘metrosexual, black Abe Lincoln.’”

And they just had to put in some form of “sex” in there too, huh? Dingbat Freaks!

OK, feeling better now! Here are some comments from that NYT article, there were lots of boycotts & rickets disease too!

Nymom; New York:

I find it rich that Mr. Ricketts’ team has registered the domain name ‘Character Matters’. In comparison to them, Obama is oozing character. Yes, Mr. Ricketts, character DOES matter. You and your people need to learn a lot about it before you go registering domain names in character’s name.

People like Ricketts and his ilk should feel shame for their lack of character. But alas, they are so far gone in their delusions that someone could tell them Obama is a secret spy from Mars, and they would be foaming at the mouth, ready to spend a million dollars on an ad telling gullible masses as much. Who with any amount of character behaves in such a manner?

Ultimately, what I disdain most about these GOP superpacs is the great damage they do to our country. They bring political discourse into the gutter. Instead of focusing on SOLUTIONS to problems, they just talk about who they don’t like. That accomplishes nothing. Alas, aside from whining and complaining, I don’t see the GOP has much to offer. Simply saying “cut spending” is meaningless unless you say what you want to cut. But they can’t do that because then the poor middle class they want to screw over will realize it is they who will suffer if the GOP is elected.

Carolyn; St. Petersburg, FL:

10 mil, and this is the best they can come up with? Yawn. I have my list of grievences with President Obama, but the alternative scares the living daylights out of me! And lest we forget about the congressional elections come November – the republicans are not a ‘party’ anymore, they’re an insane asylum.

EnoughisPlenty; Planet Earth:

Bad enough that “rickets” is a degenerative bone disease in children due to a vitamin D deficiency. I’ve now learned that it is an insidious disease of bloated billionaires desiring to be political puppeteers.

I applaud journalists for continuing to expose these super-pacs for what they are, brain children of our less-than-supreme court.

Kona030; HI:

I make it a point to NEVER watch an anti-Obama ad…I absolutely never watch FOX Noise….Even when I’m watching MSNBC and they get ready to show a slip from a FOX Noise show, or anti-Obama ad, i will change the channel for a few seconds/minute…I encourage everyone to do the same – tune out ALL right wing garbage, donate to the Obama campaign, and vote for Obama on 11/6 and keep this fine person and president in office another 4 years…

Ken Goldberg; DeLand, Florida:

Bad case of the ricketts. Need to go to the doctor.

63. 148 terim
    May 17, 2012 at 11:00 am

We have to steel ourselves for a nasty, vicious battle. I truly believe that Mitt Romney is a bully without scruples or conscience. There is no depth to which he won’t sink!

64. 149 0388jojothecat
    May 17, 2012 at 11:09 am

Good Morning TOD family, I hope everyone is having a wonderful day. I read the plan of the billion and gazillionaire GOPers to rehash the Jeremiah Wright issue but probably even more nasty and racist. I too think it will backfire on the GOP because only a small minority want to be associated with such vile and they are all GOP’ers who like to wallow in mudd. I hope it does not turn off voters especially independent voters. After reading that article and some of the comments I found my jaw clinching up and I had to calm down and just believe that PBO will be re-elected.

65. 150 sabreen60
    May 17, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I know President Obama always takes the high road, but the Super Pacs don’t have to.
    ….Just saying, if Mitt wants to bring in Rev. Wright there’s a ton of stuff about the Mormon religion that can be brought to light – starting with it’s founder, Joseph Smith.

66. 151 nospin
    May 17, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Reverend Wright was not PO’s spiritual advisor, he was PO’s Pastor.

I wanted to reiterate that what Wright said in context was accurate. So I hope folks will refrain from condemning the man for something that did not happen. His words were completely twisted by the Clinton campaign and ruined his reputation and made the man a target by nut jobs after years of serving his country and community outreach.

67. 152 FireFly
    May 17, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I can’t say I’m surprised….IT IS JUST THE SHAMEFUL UNDERBELLY OF AMERICA! They are going to finally say outloud what so many whisper behind closed doors. I say, LET THEM DO IT!! I think they will see a PUSH BACK SO HARD THEY WILL BE AMAZED!!

The majority of American’s DON’T feel that way even if they disagree with The President! People will be SO ASHAMED and won’t want to be associated with a party that does such a thing!!!

Just my thought.

68. May 17, 2012 at 4:41 pm

I’m not going to allow myself to get upset about this newest little “effort” to discredit PBO, but one thing about it does upset me, and it’s that some people in this country continue to disrespect others of us. This is a major problem in the GOP. They simply refuse to understand that the majority of Black Americans don’t listen to, or value, the thoughts of Bishop Jackson, Alan Keyes, Ken Blackwell, Cornel West, Tavis Smiley, etc. They don’t know that when we see an “extremely literate conservative African-American” who can argue that Mr. Obama misled the nation by presenting himself as what the proposal calls a “metrosexual, black Abe Lincoln” that it communicates only one word to us—TOKEN. They really, really need to stop insulting our intelligence.