May

White House live

Today (all times Eastern):

5:45: President Obama delivers a statement after the G8 summit at Camp David

7:10: PBO departs Camp David en route Joint Base Andrews

7:55: The President and First Lady depart Joint Base Andrews

9:45: Arrive Chicago

President Obama, Ghanaian President John Atta Mills, British Prime Minister David Cameron, Eleni Gabre Madhin, CEO of the Ethiopia Commodity Exchange, Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvede, participate in a luncheon on Food Security at the G-8 summit at Camp David

Tomorrow (all times Eastern):

10:45: President Obama holds a bilateral meeting with President Hamid Karzai of Afghanistan, McCormick Place, Chicago

1:35: Meets with NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen

2:30: Takes part in the official greeting of the North Atlantic Council Leaders

3:15: Speaks at the opening session of the North Atlantic Council

8:40: Takes part in a NATO family photo

9:00: Attends a NATO working dinner

(Michelle Obama hosts a NATO spouses event at the Gary Comer Youth Center and later hosts the spouses dinner at the Art Institute)

Live link for tomorrow’s events here

122 Responses to “Coming up”

1. 1 COS
    May 19, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Good afternoon all.

2. 14 Elle in MI
    May 19, 2012 at 3:19 pm

hello TOD!

3. 15 Betsy
    May 19, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Good afternoon everyone! After all the excitement of my daughter’s graduation from college, last Thursday, I’m having a relaxing day today, watching HGTV and catching up with all the news I missed this past 3 days.

4. May 19, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Happy Birthday Prettyfoot!!

5. 21 jackiegrumbacher
    May 19, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Prettyfoot, hope you’re having a great birthday day full of fun and lots and lots of presents.

• 22 prettyfoot58
      May 19, 2012 at 3:48 pm

hey Jackieeeeeeeeeee….enjoying…..bought some champagne…..for everyone!!!

• 23 jackiegrumbacher
        May 19, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Oooh, I’m lifting a glass to you, Prettyfoot, wishing one special gift for you this year –on Nov. 6. At that point, I won’t just drink a glass in your honor, I will pour the bottle over my head and do a victory dance.

6. 27 vitaminlover
    May 19, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Wonder what kind of family photo President Obama is participating in?

May 19, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Paging ut & LL

Germans have 68% possession at HT. So what say you ?

prettyfoot – Still waiting for those pics.

8. 31 Don
    May 19, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Ghana and Ethiopia in the House, oh the Republicans heads are exploding. How come they get to go to Camp David and President Obama doesn’t even invite me to Whitehouse.

Cue the outrage: Tweety bird and his constant complaining about President Obama not being social.

9. 32 trinisamba
    May 19, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Can you believe this crap? To this date this is still happening. What more do they want from this man…………BLOOD? http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/47487386#47487386

• 33 Bill
      May 19, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Larry Sabato said today that out of a population of 310 million there are at least a million crazy people (I would say many more). But in one sense I enjoy anything that makes the Republicans look crazy. PBO will be on the ballot in AZ, and this is simply another diversion that reaffirms how far the Republicans have fallen.

O/T, but thinking about AZ, I read yesterday that Barry Goldwater was pro choice, approved of gays in the military, favored gay marriage, and was very concerned about the rise of the evangelicals in the Republican party. He said all he cared about soldiers were if they could shoot straight. This is a new Republican party.

• 34 nathkatun7
        May 19, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Isn’t it amazing Bill? For some of us oldies who knew Sen. Barry Goldwater as “Mr. Conservative” it’s absolutely mind boggling to see how extreme and crazy the Republican party has become. As always, Joe Biden is spot on! The current Republican party is not the same as the Republican party of your fathers and grandfathers. I attended college in Oregon when Sen. Mark Hatfield was the Republican Senator from Oregon. The current Republican party would have kicked him out because, although he was a devout Christian, he was a strong support of civil rights and a strong opponent of ill-conceived wars. I also remember moderate Republicans like Jacob Javits of New York, Charles Percy of Illinois, Margaret Chase of Maine, Edward Brooke of Massachusetts, etc. None of these men would be welcomed in the current Republican party.

• May 19, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Yes. Yes I can believe it. I’m just shocked Alabama and Mississippi haven’t started doing it. Or is that next week?

10. May 19, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Wouldn’t this make a great bumper sticker?— “I’m too well-informed to vote Republican”
    (a tweet)

11. 39 donna dem 4 obama
    May 19, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Our team got 7 more new voters registered in Virginia today for Obama/Biden2012 cuz they’re g-r-r-r-e-a-t!!!!

12. 46 chitra
    May 19, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Hi Chips, I just made my contribution to the 10 million celebration. It was too late for me last night to join the party . Forward to the next 10 million and hope not to get the Santorum button

• May 19, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Thank you so much Chitra! Okay, I’ll spare you the Santorum buttons, I’ll just try to sell them on eBay. Wish me luck :???: Thanks again ;-)

13. May 19, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Yay! That’s President John Atta Mills of my native country, Ghana. He’s also up for re-election this year in December. his party is the equivalent of the Democratic Party in Ghana, so they are kindred ideological spirits. He too was a law professor and was the Faculty advisory for sports when I was in college. He was my buddy then. He’s a very calm man just like PBO. Glad he’s giving him high profile at this exclusive G8 club. Should do wonders for newspaper headlines back in Ghana and the re-election energy of his party. The other rightwing party is also just as ruthless as Reugs here. I loathe them. They ran the country to the ground between 2000 & 2008 and now are screaming that Mills has not cleaned up their mess fast enough. Exact replica of American politics

Anyway I just returned from volunteering at the OFA office here in Kentucky. Tuesday’s our primary election Day and so I did some phonebanking while others went canvassing. of course this is mostly an activation exercise to see which volunteers will sign up to go to battle ground states int eh fall to campaign for PBO. The door-to-door canvassers had good results. Phonebanking today not so much. Most folks not at home or dead numbers. Well we’ll just have to keep at it.

Hope you’re all having a blessed weekend

• 49 Dudette
      May 19, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Interesting how the politics is so similar between our two countries zizi2.

Thanks for your good work with OFA. I appreciate all you’re doing to help keep our awesome President in office.

• 50 LunarSea
      May 19, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Like hearing about the similarities between Ghana and USA. Are the RWNJs just as vocal and wandering in the wilderness, or more subdued and conniving? Same diff really, just wondering if the masses are subjected to the same ‘in your face’ nuttiness from their disloyal opposition

• May 19, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Oh they are loud rich and pugnacious bullies. They are buying up media left and right, but fortunately the Mills’ liberal party, NDC, also owns some crucial media so that keeps news flow somewhat near parity. But on the whole the NPP are exactly like Repugs. Their presidential candidate also has daddy issues like Romney. His father was once President (ceremonial head) so the son today also thinks the presidency is his birthright. He ran against Mills in 2008 and lost by the narrowest of margins 45,000 popular votes, even though he won only two Regions out of ten. There were many rumors of ballot stuffing in those two regions to puff up numbers but he still fell short as the flagbearer of the incumbent political party.

So indeed the peaceful transfer of power that year is exactly why PBO chose to go Ghana in July 2009 as his first presidential visit to sub-Saharan Africa (In June he went to Cairo in Egypt), to highlight the model of sophisticated democratic impulses working out in Africa. PBO does that all the time–celebrating positives rather than dwell on negative images of Africa. He said the same 2 months ago when Mills came to the White House on official visit.

• 52 nathkatun7
      May 19, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Zizi, I love Ghana, the star of Africa! I of course grew up during the time when Dr. Kwame Nkrumah was our hero. One my best, and most trusted friend, is from Ghana. I wish most African countries would emulate the example (recent of course) that Ghana has set in making peaceful political transitions. By the way, I truly enjoy your brilliant commentaries.

May 19, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Hot daymn.

Bayern-Chelsea 1-1 @ 90 min

15. 59 CEB
    May 19, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Hello Everyone.Congrats Chips, for reaching another huge mile stone and thank you for creating this incrdible place

We have the hardest working, most forward looking, most inclusive leader that the world has known. He fills me with amazement and gratitude.

16. 65 Pamela
    May 19, 2012 at 4:56 pm

OH. MY. GOODNESS. GRACIOUS. ME! Wait for it: I have an update for us to share! Just met the lady whose son hosted PBO in Seattle on May 10th. They have the photos now, she can’t wait to show them too me, but at present she is overwhelmed: Why? Glad you asked! They have been sent 300 photos with PBO, and 300 CANDIDS, from the event! She and her husband are busy sorting through them, but it makes her head swim, so she said soon she has to have some time with me, to share the stories and the photos! How lucky can I be? AND, the electric charge is still very visible and palpable around her aura, which she acknowledges. So, I’m afloat with anticipation! WooHoot!

• 66 AnitaW
      May 19, 2012 at 4:57 pm

This sounds cool. Can’t wait to see what you are able to get from these folks.

• 68 Dudette
      May 19, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Wow, neat! It’s amazing how just being in PBO’s presence can lift up people’s spirits, even long after the encounter.

17. 69 Pamela
    May 19, 2012 at 5:03 pm

If you haven’t voted for my daughter yet, and would still like to help her, the voting closes tomorrow! The link: http://www.the-french-job.com/videos.php?show=4fb253e3f01c9 With our appreciation!

• 70 Cheryllou
      May 19, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I just voted on my laptop and my son’s laptop. I hope she wins.

• 71 Pamela
        May 19, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Thank you, Cheryllou, it seems as if she has a very good chance. Certainly in the top 10, she will be interviewed and asked to promote herself a bit more, and, trust me, my girl has learned to promote herself! Well, it is a tough world, and the competition is fierce for the really good jobs. More power to her, I say! :)

• 72 Dudette
          May 19, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Just looking at the competition’s entries, she looks like a winner to me. I sure hope she gets in. If not, that guy Seb is nuts.

• 73 Pamela
            May 19, 2012 at 5:40 pm

I think, poor Seb, once he gets a look at her, he might have a hard time concentrating on his diving! Hmmm, maybe that is not such a good thing… But, Denea knows how to set goals, and how to reach them; there is no stopping her, and she will be a great support and encouragement!

• 74 LunarSea
      May 19, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I voted at work, on my android and my laptop. I also just went into stealth mode and voted again on my laptop.

too much? naaaahhhhh :lol: I hope she wins

• 75 andogriff
      May 19, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Done!

• May 19, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Voted and posted on my Facebook.

18. 77 a4alice
    May 19, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Hey you guys. Sorry I’ve been away so long. I’ve been running like a madwoman. Now maybe I can slow down a little bit. We had our first canvassing event and that was fun! Perfect weather – the gods provided. Had 10 canvassers show up to my house and they did a great job! Here’s a picture of the sign in table in my back yard!

Happy Birthday Prettyfoot!

• 78 Pamela
      May 19, 2012 at 5:26 pm

a4alice, this looks beautifully done! Thank you for all you are doing to move this country FORWARD!

• 79 LunarSea
      May 19, 2012 at 5:51 pm

That’s great. Nice job. I’ve been looking for an event here but after the ones back in April, nada. If I don’t see anything soon, will have to dive in and do some organizing/hosting.

Keep up the good work.

19. 80 whatisworking
    May 19, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Good Afternoon TOD family

Congrats to Chips for an incredible number of hits. You go girl.

Here is a great video

Walker Lies – With A Little George Carlin Added

20. 83 Linda
    May 19, 2012 at 5:13 pm

@Maximthorne
    Maxim Thorne

The NAACP Board of Directors has just endorsed marriage equality unequivocally. Only two opposed! An historic moment.

but…but…but……the media said…..

21. 87 whatisworking
    May 19, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Duh….

Economists: Increased Equality For Women And African-Americans Has Boosted U.S. Productivity

22. 88 whatisworking
    May 19, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Custodian To Graduate from Columbia University After 19 Years

23. May 19, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I see Cornel West is spouting off again, saying PBO was obsessed with being on Mt. Rushmore and he sure wished there was a 3rd candidate.(hp) I think it’s West who is obsessed—with Obama. And overwhelmed by envy. And I wish he would go away now. I’ve heard enough from him to last a lifetime.

• May 19, 2012 at 5:31 pm

He hates the fact PBO has not only left him in the dust when it comes to actual accomplishments but that he wouldn’t genuflect to West in order to get where he is. That and West is still crying about those inauguration tickets.

• 92 Linda
      May 19, 2012 at 5:42 pm

He is just envious of our President.

West comes across as an angry person.

• May 19, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Where was he saying this?

• May 19, 2012 at 5:48 pm

And, the MSM gives Him sooooooooooo much attention!

• 95 LunarSea
      May 19, 2012 at 5:53 pm

would you slap him for me when you see him.

Consider that an open request to anyone who may get the opportunity. Just tell him it’s from LunaSea. Hopefully he’ll understand.

• May 19, 2012 at 5:55 pm

If anyone was obsessed it was Cornel West who desperately wanted to be President Barack Obama’s unofficial adviser.

May 19, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Corney West need help. He is so jealous of Barack Obama even a blind person could see that jealousy.

• 98 nathkatun7
      May 19, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Link please! I need to know where he said this so that I can send his hosts an opposing view point. I think those Christian theologians who included envy among the seven most deadly sin were on to something. They must have had people like Cornel West in mind.

24. 99 whatisworking
    May 19, 2012 at 5:26 pm

How Fun

The fundamentalist Christians are attacking each other.

Osteen, Graham, Falwell, Land and Robertson Called to Step Down for Betraying Jesus Christ

(hint – there is a Mormon involved)

• 100 Pamela
      May 19, 2012 at 5:29 pm

VaHoo! And about damn time! If Jesus was here with us, he would be the first to toss their lying saggy butts out of the temples! Not in His Name, thank you.

• May 19, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Gee—how sad, these squabbles. Pastor Andrew is saying that voting for Willard is a sin, that God does not approve of voting for non-Christians. (feel kinda bad for all the people around the world affected by that one)
      And no idea what he’s saying that we know by Obama’s “fruit” that he is not Christian.
      I’m glad that Pastor Andrew is not in charge—–of anything. He sounds goofy.

• 102 LunarSea
      May 19, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Words escape me cause I’m too busy LMAO

• 103 Cha
      May 19, 2012 at 7:37 pm

He got one thing right..willard romney is Evil.

25. 104 Pamela
    May 19, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Btw: it’s Mariner’s Vs Rockies, so I get to sit quietly in the other room, and work on notes and Blogging! Whoop!

26. May 19, 2012 at 5:29 pm
  27. May 19, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Didier Drogba single-handedly SAVES Chelsea, Yay. They have to erect a statue to him wow!!!

28. 109 criquet
    May 19, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Congrats amk and ut.

What cool from Drogba with that winning penalty.
    He’s got SWAGGA……

29. 110 criquet
    May 19, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Congrats to you too zizi2.

30. 113 prettyfoot58
    May 19, 2012 at 5:59 pm

At the Press conference….who will be the first to ask the President about either …AZ birther or RW allegations about Rev Wright…

• May 19, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Happy birthday Foots, what a great getting up day for a birthday!! I just caught up on the threads and while I was sleeping Chips got 10,000,000 hits. Fabuloso! That’s pretty Chippy, if ya aks me.

31. May 19, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Saw something about Chelsea on Twitter. Don’t know what it means but here there will be just a long string of comments filled with English words I don’t recohnize when put together in a sentence.

32. May 19, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Well, that was quick. I did a refresh and poof, he gone!

33. 120 Linda
    May 19, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Looks like we missed the news conference….

34. May 19, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Kristol calls for a Hillsry ticket? Who cares what he says? Oh yeah, the MSM!

May 19, 2012 at 7:53 pm

MUST SEE….from the TED talk that is posted here, to the charts that TED didn’t want anyone to see…..

Excellent TED talk…..