May

Rise and Shine

Today (all times Eastern):

9:00: The President attends the first working session with G8 Leaders at Camp David

10:45: Takes part in a family photo with G8 Leaders

11:15 – 5:45: Attends working sessions with G8 Leaders

5:45: Delivers a statement

7:10: Departs Camp David en route Joint Base Andrews

7:55: The President and First Lady depart Joint Base Andrews

9:45PM Arrive Chicago

White House live

Tomorrow (all times Eastern):

11:45: Holds a bilateral meeting with President Hamid Karzai of Afghanistan, McCormick Place, Chicago

1:35: Meets with NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen

2:30: Takes part in the official greeting of the North Atlantic Council Leaders

3:15: Participates in the opening session of the North Atlantic Council

8:40: Takes part in a NATO family photo

9:00: Attends a NATO working dinner

(Michelle Obama hosts a NATO spouses event at the Gary Comer Youth Center and later hosts the spouses dinner at the Art Institute)

Next week:

Monday: The President will attend meetings at the NATO Summit in Chicago. Later in the day, he will travel to Joplin, Missouri, where he will deliver the commencement address at Joplin High School. He will return to Washington, DC, in the evening.

Tuesday: Attends meetings at the White House.

Wednesday: Travels to Colorado Springs to deliver the commencement address at the Air Force Academy. The President will then travel to Denver for a campaign event. In the evening, he will travel to California for campaign events in Atherton and Redwood City. He will spend the night in San Jose.

Thursday: Attends a campaign event in Palo Alto, California. The President will then travel to the Newton, Iowa, area to deliver remarks on the economy at an official event. Later, he will attend a campaign event in Des Moines, Iowa, before returning to Washington, DC, in the evening.

Friday: The President will attend meetings at the White House.

Morning everyone. Thanks a million for all the kind words last night, and for the donations to the TOD fundraiser – you’re severely good people.

Right, put away your champagne and cheesy puffs, we have G8 and NATO summits to attend.

109 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

• 4 Pamela
          May 19, 2012 at 9:34 am

:lol:

• 5 amk for obama
            May 19, 2012 at 9:38 am

Niice. :)

• 6 amk for obama
            May 19, 2012 at 9:51 am

Guess you must have a frigging highspeed innernetz. Showoff.

• 7 Pamela
              May 19, 2012 at 11:05 am

I don’t know about that, amk, but have been working between the MacBook and the iPad for an hour, with wifi, and the MacBook is not what it used to be; in the olden days before iPad2, I thought the MacBook was SO fast… Can barely stand to work with it anymore… First world dilemma, Denea would call it!

• 8 Pamela
                May 19, 2012 at 11:09 am

Alright, dig this: often Safari tells me the connection is lost, will not post my comment. The post comment button stays grey-ed out, and I have to entirely delete the reply, refresh the thread and start over. Frustrating and time consuming (especially with a brilliant comment!) just now, it happened again. Suddenly I thought, hmmm, what if I cut the comment, then refresh, and paste it back in to the deeply field. But then the entire post disappeared and I had to reopen it via the email link. Then opened reply, held the cursor until paste appeared, and VOILA! It friggin’ worked! I’m no genius, but at this very moment I feel like one! Ha! :lol:

• 9 magapie
        May 19, 2012 at 10:03 am

It’s spelled: Weeeeee

• 10 proudmemberofglobalzero
      May 19, 2012 at 9:35 am

Way to go Pamela. I just wanted to say, TV ads are running here in Florida. The difference is ALL PBO ads are positive and reflect his accomplishments. ALL Roves ads are lies, distortions and negative. I always change the channel when those ads come on. What a colossal waste of money!

• May 19, 2012 at 9:38 am

Moooooooooooooooooooorning Pamela, morning everyone ;-)

May 19, 2012 at 10:47 am

Yes We Can – Congrats, Pamela!

Lookin’ like a beautiful day! We have President Obama and Vice President Biden on our team, and all the other side will be doing in November is cleaning up the trash they left on the American landscape! They’ll have so much regrouping to do, we won’t see them back in the White House or with the majority in Congress for decades.

GOTV, y’all!

• 17 Pamela
        May 19, 2012 at 11:34 am

Hiya, JO’B! Did we ever succeed in getting Helene with an H on here? Have a lovely and wonderful day! I am off to work, now, blessings to all! Hugs to you, Chips!

May 19, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Have a great day at work, Pamela! No, unless she visits sometimes, I believe Helene with an H was planning on staying with the guys on OFA. But she’s with us all the way, no matter where she visits!

1. May 19, 2012 at 9:35 am

Good Morning!

Had planned to go shopping but now feeling completely lazy. Will save it for next weekend when all the sales are going on.. :)

May 19, 2012 at 9:35 am

Sob! Sob! Sob! I’m going to eat my breakfast! Sob!

• 21 amk for obama
      May 19, 2012 at 9:38 am

:) :) :)

• 23 Pamela
      May 19, 2012 at 9:45 am

I paused to think of you, when I saw that Leave a Comment, but, VC, what was I to do? I felt compelled by The Force to just get it done! (dry your tears, little one, you can be first next thread!). {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{vc}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

May 19, 2012 at 11:01 am

You did exactly the right thing, sis! I am proud of you. ;) The race is for the swift after all. I was fumbling around there with all sorts of garbage showing on the screen with each click. My laptop has been sending me weird signals for the last couple of days with notes that the battery may need to be changed.

The’ tears’ only came because I’d been waiting for ‘Rise and Shine’ since 6:45am, at first not even bothering to say anything, just waiting, grumbling stomach and all. To see the rope just ahead and then to stumble at the finish line was (sniff, sniff) h-a–a-a-a-r-d, but I’m happy it was you who streaked past. Nah, I won’t be first next time because I’m going battery hunting as soon as I recover completely. No way am I sitting here with one eye on the ‘Post’ button for the rest of the day!

• 25 Pamela
          May 19, 2012 at 11:11 am

Another hug for you, vc, hope your hunt for a battery was successful,

May 19, 2012 at 11:30 am

Really appreciate the hug. ;) :oops: Haven’t gone yet, professional procrastinator that I am. Will muster some oomph before the business day here closes. One of the joys of being home alone – offspring is off in another country as a summer music teacher – is that I do what I want when I feel like it (except when Chips makes me starve while waiting for her to arrive before leaving my laptop). :lol: :lol:

3. 27 Blackman
    May 19, 2012 at 9:37 am

Mo’nin’ TODers

4. May 19, 2012 at 9:37 am

“la Maison Blanche” – That’s sounds way more grand and rich than “The White House”. lol.

May 19, 2012 at 9:40 am

photo/1

6. May 19, 2012 at 9:41 am
    May 19, 2012 at 9:42 am

photo/1

8. May 19, 2012 at 9:42 am
    May 19, 2012 at 9:53 am

From vc’s tpm linky in last thread

In a statement, Mahen Gunaratna, the Arizona spokesperson for Obama’s campaign said this:

From day one, Mitt Romney has pandered to the far-right of his party, and today Arizona Tea Party Republicans are following suit by questioning where the President was born. The President will be on the ballot this November in Arizona alongside Mitt Romney. And Arizonans will have a choice between a President who brought us back from the brink of another Depression so job loss has been reversed to create 4.2 million private sector jobs, manufacturing is resurgent, and GM is the #1 automaker in the world — and a Governor with a familiar and troubling economic scheme: more budget-busting tax cuts for the wealthy; fewer rules for Wall Street — the same formula that benefitted a few, but crashed our economy and punished the middle class.

Gunaratna said the incident gave Romney the opportunity to “denounce the extreme voices in his party.”

No, mittbot and character are total strangers having never met.

10. 34 Michele
    May 19, 2012 at 9:59 am

Good morning Chips, can we get a feature on Tom Barrett for governor in WI.. I have donated 3 times and we need everyone to do a little more… Lena Taylor State Senator wants all voters to do a little more,, come on guys and gals….

11. 35 donna dem 4 obama
    May 19, 2012 at 10:06 am

Good Morning TOD. Today is a National Day of Action for the Obama Campaign. Many are volunteering to help register and educate voters in their communities. If you can, please try and drop by an OFA office today and donate an hour or two to the cause. If not, can you make a small donation or just share this tweet with family and friends? Every action you make (large or small) towards the President’s reelection will make an enormous difference on Election Day.

I’m off to volunteer here in MD. Have a great Productive O’Day!

• 36 amk for obama
      May 19, 2012 at 10:08 am

Go donna.

• May 19, 2012 at 10:09 am

Tell Virginia voters- that McConell just signed new voter ID laws there, on Friday Night.

• 38 Judith Fardig
      May 19, 2012 at 10:59 am

Donna, you are so right about all of us being involved in our nieghborhood teams. Whether you can work one phone bank/month or many hours/week, please help OFA on the ground near you. My little neighborhood team in Portland, OR has 4 regular phone banks/week in members’ homes, and we make it fun! A little wine and cheese, but no drunk dialing…

• 39 0388jojothecat
      May 19, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I am off to volunteer this afternoon. Thank goodness it’s in the afternoon after a wild and crazy night.

May 19, 2012 at 10:07 am

13. 41 lamh35
    May 19, 2012 at 10:21 am

Some food for thought for our resident poll watchers. Booman makes some great points.

“Do You Trust Gallup”

14. May 19, 2012 at 10:21 am
    • 44 Debz
      May 19, 2012 at 11:01 am

That photo is priceless. Our President is so thoughtful.

May 19, 2012 at 11:23 am

I am ALWAYS touched by the fact that 90%+ of the time people in the vicinity of our President are relaxed and happy. [The other 10% relate to serious occasions like natural disasters, memorials etc.]

• 46 Don
      May 19, 2012 at 11:36 am

That photo is priceless because President Obama is not in it, President Obama is secure in himself, and only a person that does not have an ego can allow others to have the spotlight.

15. May 19, 2012 at 10:21 am

Need a Snark appearance! Horrible Knoller counterpart is making snarky and snotty twitter comments about President Obama having the nerve to use the words “frank and useful” about the Camp David talks.

16. May 19, 2012 at 10:26 am

Can someone help me find a graphic I saw the other day – I can’t remember which of the many sites or links it was on and I didn’t bookmark it. It showed the results of a poll where people were asked why are you voting for Romney and something like 45% said ‘because he’s not Obama”. If anyone else saw it and can lead me to it, I’d be grateful. I’d even give you the Santorum buttons Chips is sending me!

• May 19, 2012 at 10:59 am

Will they ask folks why they are voting for Obama? I bet they wouldn’t like the answer. They know deep down inside that PBO has proven time, and time again, that he is still the best man for the job.

• May 19, 2012 at 1:05 pm

“(IF OBAMA) What would you say is the main reason you are supporting Barack Obama?
        (OPEN-ENDED – DO NOT READ)
        (Doing a good job as president) 25%
        (Positions on the issues) 13
        (He’s a Democrat/liberal) 11
        (Not Romney) 11
        (Honest/Character/Values) 6
        (Like him personally) 5

(Cares about people/Helping people like me) 5

(Economy improving) 5
        (Health care laws) 4
        (Smart/intelligent) 2
        (Strong leader) 2
        (Other – record verbatim) 8
        (Don’t know/Refused) 4

May 19, 2012 at 11:11 am

Haven’t seen it, sorry, but I think we should come up with our own graphic on why to vote to re-elect President Obama:

“Because he’s not Romney!”

And that would be No. 12,001 on the list, because I’m sure we could come up with many more positive reasons on our side of this campaign. :)

May 19, 2012 at 10:57 am

Head’s UP! Family Photo soon on WH.gov

18. May 19, 2012 at 11:00 am

In a recent posting on the Atlantic website, Ben Heineman writes, “Joe Biden should go. He should not be on the Democratic ticket in the fall.” Here in the battleground state of Ohio, we couldn’t disagree more.

First, no vice president in our history has been more effective. Barack Obama chose Joe Biden because he wanted a running mate who was ready to be president. Clearly, that decision has paid off: Biden’s experience and judgment have made him Obama’s most valuable partner in restoring America’s place in the world and leading America back from the toughest economic crisis in four generations. The vice president played a critical role in the passage and implementation of the president’s economic recovery plan. He negotiated the first extension of the payroll tax cut, keeping taxes down on millions of middle-class Americans. He oversaw the wind-down of the war in Iraq and was a powerful voice in refocusing our strategy in Afghanistan. On one tough assignment after another, Joe Biden got the job done.

Second, Vice President Biden is a big political plus for the ticket, and will make a real difference in the swing states this fall. There’s a reason the administration keeps sending Joe Biden to tossup states like Ohio, Florida, Iowa, and New Hampshire. He’s one of the best campaigners in the business. I’ve seen what happens when the vice president comes here. I’ve seen the connection he makes with hard-working Ohioans. I’ve seen the look in people’s eyes that says, “Here’s a guy who understands me.” An Obama-Biden ticket will be formidable in swing states.

• 60 Debz
      May 19, 2012 at 11:06 am

I don’t understand why all these people want to get rid of Joe. The other day I heard Tweety ask someone if Joe would be on the ticket this fall. Why would the President dump his VP? They must really want to see Hillary on the ticket.

• 61 Don
        May 19, 2012 at 11:30 am

If I’m not mistaken wasn’t Hilary Clinton President in the 90’s? Don’t misunderstand me; her skills as SOS are unapproachable. But it was the Clinton Whitehouse that gave us DADT, and if I’m not mistaken Health Care didn’t even make it out of the planning stages, so spare me the Clinton talk about her being some great savior.

• 62 4morefor44
          May 19, 2012 at 12:18 pm

interesting fun fact: president obama and joe biden were never ever members of the dlc, the group bill and hillary help found and hillary had run. the dlc tried to claim PBO as a member at one point, and he had to publicly ask them to take his name off their materials. the group that single handedly almost destroyed the democratic party completely. the dlc-ers are still all over the place trying to put the band back together, and all the most vicious ‘democrat” attackers of obama during the 2008 campaign were nearly all dlc-ers. we must stop them.

May 19, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Debz, people talk about any and everything, and that is fine, but let them talk about this the Vice President for the Barack Obama team is Joe Biden, he is now and he will be in November and from 2012-2016. The End!!!!!!!!!!

• May 19, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Send Joe to Wisconsin – he’s just what we need at the moment.

19. May 19, 2012 at 11:03 am
    • 66 0388jojothecat
      May 19, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I don’t even have to open it…..I know what the last Republican in the WH did to CA and even with a R Governor, we were still in bad shape.

May 19, 2012 at 11:25 am

did we miss it, Chips? I stayed awake last night…with jojo and Dudette to mark the historic occasion of 10 million….It was after 3am when I went to bed…woke around 7am…feel like I had a nap, and will probably feel like my head is separate from my body the rest of the day, unless I get a little nap:)
      It was great fun while we were partying….now…well, payback! Sorry about that “When Harry Met Sally” orgasm moment…all 3 of us just waited so long that when the 10 million finally came in the middle of the night…..sorry:)

• 69 theo67
        May 19, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Good morning, Desertflower! Can’t believe you were up so early. By the way… what happened in the 10 million thread, stays in the 10 million thread… :)

• 70 Dudette
          May 19, 2012 at 3:26 pm

HI Everyone! I’m kinda dragging today after pulling an all-nighter on some blog where they were lost in the 70s and 80s. They were celebrating something. I can’t remember what — it’s all kinda blurry.

Hey, what is that ? Sunlight? Could you turn that thing down please? 8-)

• 72 0388jojothecat
        May 19, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Good Morning desertflower and all my late nite chums……we had a blast last night urshing the 10 million TOD march. I am just getting up, having my first cup of coffee then heading off to an OFA Action Battleground phone bank. Have a great day everyone.

P.S.

I am goin to bed early tonight….. :) :) :

20. May 19, 2012 at 11:12 am

Howdy Chips the Magnificent. Sorry I wasn’t around for your 10 Million major accomplishment. You so totally deserve all 10 Million hits to this site. You have produced the most amazing place to be on the entire internetz. Thank you for all you put up with to keep this place free of the junk and a welcoming, fun-filled place. You are a blessing.

21. May 19, 2012 at 11:15 am

Snark Knoller is THE BEST thing on the twitter. Smartest and funniest, no contest. Deserves Pulitzer, not kidding.

22. 75 Pamela
    May 19, 2012 at 11:23 am

Okay, one day and 8 hours left to vote for Denea! She is holding strong in 3rd place for Video Blogger, which means she will move on into the interview process and will be submitting a more detailed proposal of why she the best person for the assignment. Remember you can vote once from all your devices, so if you use more than one method of access to the web, please do consider voting again! She has made a wonderful list of names of (many) who have already voted! Blessings, and our appreciation! http://www.the-french-job.com/videos.php?show=4fb253e3f01c9

23. 80 Hachikō
    May 19, 2012 at 11:28 am

Hey guys. Anyone know of a room for rent in Portland or NYC? I need to be able to take my dog and I need it right away.

Thanks!

24. 83 GGail
    May 19, 2012 at 11:33 am

Attention all SoCal TODers

We are calling Battleground!

The Obama Campaign Headquarters has specifically asked for California’s help in making these special calls because of the awesome work you do! The President needs our help! Let’s show him that we have his back! Please make arrangements to join us at one of the special battleground phonebanks

Go to barackobama.com and click on California to find a location near you. Let’s do our part!

I’M IN :D

25. 85 lmrj
    May 19, 2012 at 11:35 am

Well working too much certainly makes one miss all the fun. Totally missed your new benchmark yesterday Chips. Working has me lurking much of the time instead of commenting, but I never miss a day without at least glancing at TOD at least 3 times… except for yesterday.

CONGRATULATIONS CHIPS!!!
    10 million! I think you’re averaging a mil a month aren’t you? Well deserved praise for your hard work and brilliant effort. What would we Obots do without you? Never want to find out. THANK YOU 10 million times over!

May 19, 2012 at 11:39 am

I had a couple of good conversations on Twitter this morning around the subject of Wisconsin,voting and money. From one I was directed to this article – http://civilcitizen.wordpress.com/2012/01/03/voting-is-not-an-option/

/…
    As Civil Citizens, it is even more important to be the person that people can trust for the best information possible. Not everyone can understand or has the time to breakdown the issues and then connect-the-dots with other pieces about what the impact of a decision will be. Truth be told, the more important the issue the less likely information will be found about it on retail news venues. That is why those who can do the homework and get good information out to the voter is so important right now. It is the only way to invoke the societal changes that so many crave. Information is power and voting is the manifestation of that power into our political system. Yes, our system is ill, but it is not dead. It can be redeemed, it can be revived. To do this it will need attention and care and it can’t be done by a few citizens alone. It needs to be done by the majority of citizens all doing their part.

Next time you hear someone shirk their civic duty of voting with a lame excuse do not let them off with a “If you don’t vote you can’t bitch.” pass. It is no longer good enough. Voting is not an option Civil Citizens. Voting is your civic duty. Don’t let your country down.

• 87 amk for obama
      May 19, 2012 at 12:42 pm

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors – Plato

Your silence gives consent – Plato

• 88 0388jojothecat
        May 19, 2012 at 2:23 pm

So true. When I hear and read about what is going on in WI, MI, IN, OH and FL it is pure fascism. You must not wait and see how much “damage” a candidate inflicts on your state, city, etc., you have to make yourself aware of who is backing that candidate, why, and what is the agenda. Not all republicans are bad but I have not seen one recently that wants to make life better for everyone…just for the millionaires and billionaires (even democratic millionaires and billionaires won’t turn down free stuff).

27. 89 prettyfoot58
    May 19, 2012 at 11:44 am

Greetingssssssss again…

will be back later for my Birthday puff pastry…..i will have champagne for everyone….haaha

changing my avatar….for today…

AMK…take note….smilin

28. 101 Debz
    May 19, 2012 at 11:55 am

Congrats Chips on your 10 million!!! :-D

29. 102 Betsy
    May 19, 2012 at 12:03 pm

CONGRATULATIONS CHIPS ON YOUR 10 MILLION+ HITS!!!

May 19, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I came across Melissa H. Perry this morning and I watched her for a few minutes and I notice how she allow certain guests to out talk her, to talk over her. She has to let these people know that is her show, and she will allow them to speak, but they will not talk over her or not allow her to get her point across. I think someone like Prof. Dyson would be better than MHP.

May 19, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Hi Betsy, I read your response about you and hubby not having a theatre background, but didn’t want to answer way back there! ;) Isn’t it ‘neat’ how talent can rear its head in young’uns in ways we least expect? My take is that there was someone waaaaay back when in our family who was musical, Wish an itty bitty piece of the musical fairy dust had fallen on me though – at this point I would have taken just enough to help me sing in tune. ;)

May 19, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Got a message for the family

May 19, 2012 at 12:29 pm

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/05/19/487214/meet-joe-ricketts-cubs/ Another “it’s ok for ME, but not YOU!” kind of guy. What a sham. WOW :) Rahm needs to kick his ass.Big time.