May

Working Weekend

….. with French President Francois Hollande

President Obama, Britain’s Prime Minister David Cameron and Russia’s Prime Minister Dmitri Medvedev listen to Germany’s Chancellor Angela Merkel during the start of the first working session of the G8 Summit at Camp David

First Lady Michelle Obama gives a tour of the White House to (from left) Laureen Harper (wife of Canadian Prime Minister Stephen), Elsa Monti (wife of Italian PM Mario), Valerie Trierweiler (partner of French President Francois Hollande), Geertrui Windels (wife of European Union President Herman Van Rompuy) and Hitomi Noda (wife of Japanese PM Yoshihiko)

From right: First Lady Michelle Obama, Hitomi Noda, wife of Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda, and Valerie Trierweiler, partner of French President Francois Hollande, listen to the White House curator

Valerie Trierweiler (R), companion of France’s President Francois Hollande

From left: The White House curator, Valerie Trierweiler and Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda’s wife Hitomi

Have a blissful day PrettyFoot!

131 Responses to “Working Weekend”

1. 1 trinisamba
    May 19, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Is it true?

2. 12 LadyTNT
    May 19, 2012 at 12:36 pm

FLOTUS looks so beautiful! I love that purple dress.

3. May 19, 2012 at 12:40 pm

What a stunningly pretty dress that Lady Michelle is wearing!

4. 30 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    May 19, 2012 at 12:43 pm

It truly is “All About Our Daughters” ….

#AmericaThisIsNotATest

#PRESSON

5. May 19, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Arugula/OJ elitist alert! President Obama said a French to the gathered media! He said “Bonjeur!!!!!!!!” Horrors!

May 19, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Purple..

One more ticked off the list.

7. 42 criquet
    May 19, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Chips, congrats on the 10 mil mark, I’ve only just seen the landmark from checking in.
    No surprise because of the truly fabulous job you do. Forward to the next 10 million!

May 19, 2012 at 12:50 pm

A couple of those leaders need to ask PBO for tips from his exercise routine. Just saying.

May 19, 2012 at 12:54 pm

• 52 Doreen
      May 19, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Wow!! Read the article and since the dr. is sick and advanced in age, that it’s great that he recanted this now — has more weight.

10. 53 Debz
    May 19, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Too bad Willard doesn’t show as much class a McCain. For a guy who wants to be president, he sure has shown his lack of courage to call out RW loons.

• 54 EricFive
      May 19, 2012 at 2:50 pm

First the return of Rev. Wright. Now a return to the “birther” bullshit. They are so desperate and afraid of PBO defeating Mitt that they are literally throwing EVERYTHING against the wall to see if it sticks. Arizona is making quite a name for itself. The racist panic we are witnessing is truly ugly. They know Mitt does not stand a chance in a fair election, thus we have voter suppression, MSM anti-PBO propaganda (including suspect polls) and now a state official actually threatening to keep PBO off the ballot. Kudos to McCain for attempting to inject some sanity into this hatefest. The sane people of Arizona should be protesting against this tea party asshole. He is really making their state look bad (or should I say worse).

May 19, 2012 at 3:30 pm

EricFive, it’s a down right shame how sick and disgusting these haters are.

• 56 jackiegrumbacher
        May 19, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Eric, at this point Arizona is pretty much scraping bottom in terms of looking bad. I think they’re really trying for a record here on most obnoxious, homophobic, racist misogynist state. But the race is tight with states like Kansas, SC and TX.

• 57 jackiegrumbacher
      May 19, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Debz–PBO was always going to be on the ballot in Arizona. This was just a grandstand play for attention on the part of the idiot SOS who wants to run for governor. I once asked a friend in the Chicago OFA office about threats like this and he said the president will be on EVERY state ballot. Period.

11. 58 Don
    May 19, 2012 at 12:57 pm

WOW! Just look at Michelle, poised and confident and sexy as hell. She exudes grace and strength. Look at those arms, magnificent.

12. 59 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    May 19, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Unlikely these folk will ever get it or try to do so ….

But still should be constantly kept on notice that we do and they are going to loose their jobs (or remain ‘unemployed’) as a result.

#PRESSON

• 60 Dudette
      May 19, 2012 at 3:59 pm

They’ll ignore it Bob. The truth to them is like sunlight to vampires — it burns!

Love you for trying though. Keep fighting, soldier! :-)

13. May 19, 2012 at 1:00 pm

This looks like a pretty “casual” Saturday’s Summit :-)

14. 62 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    May 19, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Dear Chips,
    It appears your devotion to our President and our Republic are evident to a very large number of viewers of your site and one can expect 20M and then 50M views and expanding in the months, years to come.
    Congratulations and thank you!

#PRESSON

May 19, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Via BJ.

HI is telling that AZ racist sos to GFH.

The attorney general’s office in Hawaii is telling Arizona’s secretary of state that if he wants confirmation of President Obama’s birth records, he’ll have to prove he legitimately needs it.

Special Assistant Joshua Wisch said late Friday that Arizona Secretary of State Ken Bennett hasn’t done that despite numerous email and phone exchanges between their offices.

16. May 19, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Anyone know the identity of the gal in the beige skirt and black jacket in the photo with Michelle?

17. 71 GGail
    May 19, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Our First Lady looks very beautiful and secure in her position as Host to the guests’ spouses and partners.

Thank you Chipsticks for this expansive coverage of the G8 Summit. Where would we be without you…..!

• 72 cluny
      May 19, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Not being from the US I can never understand why there is such violent opposition to PBO and MO. They are both so elegant, alive – totally alpha (their children too). That’s why PBO has so many fans around the world – just look at the group photo – President Obama is someone who we all envy you Americans for. I feel bad that you sensible people have to put up with the stupid ravings of a rabid opposition. Good luck with the election – I worry about all the sleazy billionaire money and voter suppression stuff. You will all have to work very, very hard to counter the dark forces.

• 73 Sharon
        May 19, 2012 at 1:41 pm

As an American, I was caught off guard by that rabid reaction. Even when GWBush was first elected, I took it in stride. Didn’t get upset until he messed up the Iraqi war. I’m still stunned that such a large portion of the American population are so solidly hooked on propaganda. Kind of scary that one day they may outnumber the rational ones. Good news is that we are headed towards a minority majority in the not too distance that likely will prevent that.

Agree with your estimation of the Obamas and I am truly proud of them. Have pondered most of my life how you can get a man of his caliber elected. So glad it happened this time.

• 74 nathkatun7
          May 19, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Agree with you Sharon about “a large portion of the American population are so solidly hooked on propaganda.” By the way, unlike George W. Bush who lost the popular vote to Al Gore, and was really appointed president by a cynical Supreme Court, President Obama won the popular vote and an electoral landslide. I must also add that Bill Clinton, in both of his election never won 50% of the popular vote. He won slightly over 43% in 1992 and slightly over 49% in 1996.

• 75 0388jojothecat
        May 19, 2012 at 2:37 pm

America is never and might never be ready for a first african-american “you name it”. In the history of this country you saw the first african american ball player, golfer, senator, mayor, model, miss american, etc., treated with such disdain my a small group and our media hypes it for ratings. Most people don’t care about the persons race but only in america……sad. The media will alway make it a faux controversy.

• 76 Left-Indie
          May 19, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Duny, if only the world can vote, right? It’s a shame but this madness is not limited to the Obamas. The right goes to work as soon as a Dem goes to the whitehouse. Never was numero uno Clinton fan, but never forget they went as far as accusing them of murder! Suggested Hilary was gay and their marriage a sham. Harrased & grand-juried them to death until they impeached him. Their motto is simple: If it’s a Dem, it’s fraud. Their worldview doesn’t allow for any other possibility.

May 19, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Left-Indie, I remember everything you are talking about, I remember how the crazy right right nuts treated the Clintons.

May 19, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I remember when Vince Foster committed suicide and the right wing nuts said Hillary had him murder,

• 79 Left-Indie
                May 19, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Exactly. A little historical memory tells us nothing has changed with them. Only now they’ve bigger microphones: Talk radio, Fox, Heritage foundation type “think tanks” and now powered by Citizens United. What kills me is Dems get caught flatfooted everytime. We seem always amazed at the “unprecendented” hate machine from the GOP.

• 80 Waltjack
                  May 19, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Left-Indie, we are not caught flatfooted. Our party has voices that are free to dream, speak, express our own opinions not just follow the party line. We are not so mean and hatefull.

• 81 nathkatun7
            May 19, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I agree with everything you said about Clinton, but still no one questioned Clinton’s birthright legitimacy to be President. For Clinton, it was all about falsely accusing him of things he did not do, or exploiting petty things like his sexual affairs. For Obama, especially with the “birthers,” its been all about questioning his “Americanism” thus his legitimacy to be President. Personally, I think the virulent opposition to president Obama and the total disrespect shown to him ( frankly including the disrespect from some people on the left) has more to do with his race than with the fact that he is a Democrat.

• 82 HZ
              May 20, 2012 at 7:40 pm

You hit the nail on the head, Nathkatun7.. I have lived to witness a lot in the political world in our country, and I have Never seen such as this total disrespect to a president. POB has all of the qualities that anyone in their right and decent hearts and minds would want in a POTUS. Plain and simple. But? It is because the spirits of this kind of hatred domnates our daily life with this wonderful president.

So we ask ourselves, “What is it? Here is this beautiful, brilliant , and decent man sitting in the Oval Office on behalf of this nation, but daily this hatred is so ugly and so much. And I believe the only person that I have seen and heard say it so truthfully and passionately was Sen. Whitehouse while speaking on the Senate floor. He actually said the words. (I do not have the date or year, but I saw and heard him speak on the floor on C-SPAN.

I have had to lived this all of my life, and I must say, it hurts like hell. But I too had a very strong mother, grandmother, and grandfather who taught me to move up with head held high, and keep my core in tack. Move with grace, mother would say. Move, Move, Move. That is what keeps POB daily, I do believe. And we help also by keeping our focus and staying true to our core and keep lifting him up in prayers, meditations, and good deeds.

Now on to the important issues of helping him carry out his duties with grace, love, compassion, and his constant brilliance each and every day. This is the Change that this nation needed to really pull back the ugly scab on the scar that will be with us until the ugly haters leave this earth, and a more forward-thinking, loving, kind, gentle in spirit, brilliant, and compassion young generation out number and out vote the ugly attitiudes.

I will not see it, but I do believe that we all here in this family surely have been blessed to walk through history, help make history daily, help support history so that it will work better for those like our beautiiful Malia and Sasha’s generations. That is my hope and prayer daily. These pains that we are experiencing now, hopefully will ease our hearts and minds by what we do here on Nov. 6, 2012. At least many of our nieces, daughters, sons, grandsons, great-grandsons, and daughters will be just that closer to even a better journey.HZ

18. May 19, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Jesse Jackson is scheduled to speak at one of the largest protests in Chgo tomorrow. Why? And what is accomplished by all the protesters who are swarming Rahm Emanuel’s home and property right now? It seems like utter stupidity to me.

• 84 theo67
      May 19, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I often wonder what NATO protesters would do if they got their wish. If NATO disbanded, and each country said they wouldn’t defend another in time of military attack. If all development efforts ceased in needy countries. If law and order administered internationally via NATO was disbanded. If there was no nuclear deterrent or coordinated effort to control nukes via the NATO treaties therein. If borders were not observed. If political activists had no protective body to appeal to, when caught in international incidents. If there were no international police force. What would they do then?

• 85 Dudette
        May 19, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Very astute theo. I wish your words were put to every one of the protesters. They’d have no answer.

• 86 nathkatun7
        May 19, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Excellent Observation/question, Theo67! It also seems to me that some people have decided to be professional protesters. I doubt that all these people showing up for protest are also busy organizing to ensure that they elect people who will translate their protest to policy. So far, I see no evidence of that. Protesting to call for disbanding of NATO will amount to absolutely nothing. The only way NATO can be disbanded is to elect people in all the governments of the countries in NATO that favor this course of action.

19. 87 Michele
    May 19, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Maybe Reverend Jackson will talk about voting rights, income equality, or marriage equality.. Personally, I’ve have never heard of any G meetings without protests.

• 88 Sharon
      May 19, 2012 at 1:50 pm

America is better protected by being able to limit the European anarchists coming in. They are fully committed to destruction at these summits. Have no redeeming qualities. Have no purpose other than to destroy: broken windows, fires and all manner of mayhem and violence. Our protesters pale by comparison

• 89 nathkatun7
      May 19, 2012 at 8:24 pm

“Maybe Reverend Jackson will talk about voting rights, income equality, or marriage equality..”

I hope Rev. Jesse Jackson does not only talk about these issues but proposes a plan of action to address them. Just to take one example: I would like to hear the Rev. propose a plan on how to effectively counter all these voter suppression laws being enacted by states controlled by Republicans. I would like to hear Rev. Jackson say something about the elements of the progressives who urged people not vote, in 2010, because they wanted to punish President Obama and the Democrats for not being pure progressives, thereby making it possible for Republicans to regain power in Congress and in various state houses and state legislatures. As a result of Democrats staying at home, we now faced by Republican governments trying to undo all progressive gains of the past 75 years. At this stage in my life, I truly appreciate the wisdom of the expression; “Talk Is Cheap.” Talk that is not accompanied by practical and concrete actions is empty.

20. 91 PoliticalJunkessa
    May 19, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Michelle looks stunning. Go FLOTUS!

21. 92 criquet
    May 19, 2012 at 1:43 pm

AP and Yahoo are very RW slanted. What is up with them?

22. 95 susanne
    May 19, 2012 at 2:23 pm

aloha chips and toddies! long time since i’ve had a chance to stop in, but i did notice the crunched cheesy puffs and puddles of champagne–congrats chips on the big ten! you’ve created a real refuge for so many of us, with the best photos, info, and support. we’re proud of our president, and we have you to thank for even knowing about what he’s done to make us proud!

now that i’m here, i must say a couple of things–what’s with francois hollande’s long white cuffs? and did he not bring a clean shirt? seems that he slept in his jacket, too. and his lady friend’s dress is a bit drab. our first lady looks divine in that purple dress, and pres obama looks handsome, relaxed, and competent, as usual. we’re so fortunate to have this couple in the white house! four more years!

May 19, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Susanne! :shock: Ssssh! Hollande is our guest! He had a long flight and, pkus, he wasn’t exactly sure what to pack. He’s new to the party, remember? The same applies to lady friend who was just testing the waters in her play-it-safe ‘little black dress’. Nobody told her that black is not necessarily a spring colour this side. Be gracious.

• May 19, 2012 at 3:13 pm

To be honest, Francois Hollande can wear a potato sack for all I care, he is Europe’s last non-austerity hope!

• 98 Theo67
          May 19, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I have a French friend who is convinced that Hollande is the end of France. She’s worried about the rich, like herself. We’ve had to agree to disagree, and we’ll just let history be the arbiter.

• May 19, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Hi Theo, yeah, the undertaxed well-to-do in France despise him, which is another reason to love him. Their privileged party ended when Sarkozy was dumped – well, I hope any way.

• 100 Dudette
        May 19, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Play it safe black is okay. I’m more surprised at the CFM heels that she wore. She’s new in the game though, so she can have a pass.

• 101 susanne
        May 19, 2012 at 7:01 pm

okay, yep, you’re right. sorry for the snark, and i do agree these are much appreciated guests. also, i viewed the video clip and heard pbo say the european participants had sat up all night talking prior to the meeting. so, hollande didn’t sleep in his jacket–he worked all night in it. apologies all around. but i do not apologize for my compliments to potus and flotus! they rock!

May 19, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Susanne, :lol: :lol: you do realize I was teasing you, right? If you didn’t, I apologize to YOU. I wasn’t expecting an apology – more like a poke in the ribs. I had no intention of putting you on the spot. We have such a good rapport here at TOD that sometimes I let my very odd sense of humour get the better of me. It’s mostly because I feel very comfortable in this space, and I would want you to feel equally comfortable. So forgive me, please, and snark whenever you feel like it. We all do on occasion.

23. May 19, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I SO completely covet FLOTUS’ stunning purple dress!! One of my faves for her so far, for sure.

Chips, thanks for posting so much info so we can all catch up on the weekend’s events. Looks like they’re enjoying Camp David.

24. 104 Pamela
    May 19, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Happy Birthday to YOU, prettyfoot! Have a grand and wonderful day!

• May 19, 2012 at 2:39 pm

YES! Happy BD, prettyfoot! Hope the weather is beautiful in your city and you are taking full advantage of your special day.

25. May 19, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Starting tomorrow, the WH directs us to this site to watch events on the NATO livestream:

26. 108 Linda
    May 19, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Last night in Wisconsin.

Occupy Riverwest
    The Overpass Light Brigade Rolls Out the Recall

I love the light brigade

27. May 19, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I just swa that movie Battleship! Very cool!
    So, Any News out of these Meetings? Anything at all?

28. May 19, 2012 at 3:03 pm

3 self-proclaimed out of state anarchists arrested in Chgo, charged with terrorism and plans for all sorts of destruction—–attacks on Obama campaign HQ, Emanuel’s home, police stations, police cars, bsns. bldgs. Intercepted saying that Chgo doesn’t know what is about to hit it and that Chgo will never be the same after NATO.

29. 114 LunarSea
    May 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm

hey all. long time no see. been burning out at work andbarely have energy to do all the reading to catch up here. Missed you guys.

good news is I am officially on vaca and about to have both rug rats home at same time for first time in years! yippee –

Gongrats to Chips on 10m mark, happy birthday to all that I’ve missed. Strawberry daqs all around. woo hoo

30. 117 LunarSea
    May 19, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I love HI GOV response to the birther creatin. funny that they still haven’t given him what he asked for. ha.

re the loonie anarchists, maybe they’ll partner with OWS. They have a lot in common; incoherancy.

It’ s a beautiful day in new england. hope it’s nice where you are too.

31. 118 LunarSea
    May 19, 2012 at 3:19 pm

@chipschica ( because there’s no way to directly reply to posts on my ‘droid) Will do! gotta restock juice and rum before the strawberries are all gone.

32. May 19, 2012 at 3:27 pm

May 19, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I know Krugman gets into most of our craws, but this graphic certainly does say all that needs saying regarding jobs…Mitt LOVES him some Bushanomics!

34. 123 prettyfoot58
    May 19, 2012 at 3:44 pm

greetingssssss Chipssssss….

ty for the cake…..

and i am indeed having a Blisssssssfull day….i would have even a better day if i could have that purple dress that the First Lady is slamminn…Ooooooo weeeeeeeee… :-)

35. May 19, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Ok one question, there was nowhere in the entire White House that the ladies could leave their purses while on tour?

• 125 Theo67
      May 19, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I had the same thought… Surely the marines could guard a room with their handbags?

• 126 Dudette
        May 19, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I with the ladies on that one. I don’t go ANYWHERE without my purse either. It’s not a theft thing, I just need my stuff with me. :-D

• 127 AnitaW
      May 19, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Nope. No lockers and such.

• May 19, 2012 at 5:09 pm

My mother always used to joke a little about the Queen always having her handbag with here – why? And that always comes back to me when I see Michelle Obama with a handbag getting on or off AF!

May 19, 2012 at 4:17 pm

• 130 Dudette
      May 19, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Oh my! I’m glad they were found out before something happened. I pray nothing violent happens and everyone (including the protesters) remains safe.

• May 20, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Happy belated Birthday Prettyfoot. I hope that you day was lovely.

Second, thanks again Chips for the wonderful photos, tapes and news of the summit. Our wonderful and brilliant president never disappointments us with his graciousness to guests to our country.

And as Dudette and all of will say, “We will continue to pray and ask for protection for POB and all of the leaders, and all of the citizens of Chicago and Mr. Mayor. Keep lifting them up with pray daily. HZ

RSS OFA