May

“I want to know if my hair is just like yours”

NYT: For decades at the White House, photographs of the president at work and at play have hung throughout the West Wing, and each print soon gives way to a more recent shot. But one picture of President Obama remains after three years.

In the photo, Mr. Obama looks to be bowing to a sharply dressed 5-year-old black boy, who stands erect beside the Oval Office desk, his arm raised to touch the president’s hair — to see if it feels like his.

…. The boy in the picture is Jacob Philadelphia of Columbia, Md. Three years ago this month, his father, Carlton, a former Marine, was leaving the White House staff….

When the pictures were taken and the family was about to leave, Mr. Philadelphia told Mr. Obama that his sons each had a question…

Jacob spoke first.

“I want to know if my hair is just like yours,” he told Mr. Obama, so quietly that the president asked him to speak again.

Jacob did, and Mr. Obama replied, “Why don’t you touch it and see for yourself?” He brought his head level with Jacob, who hesitated.

“Touch it, dude!” Mr. Obama said.

As Jacob patted the presidential crown, Mr. Souza snapped.

“So, what do you think?” Mr. Obama asked.

“Yes, it does feel the same,” Jacob said.

….Jacob, now 8, said he indeed does want to be president. “Or a test pilot.”

More here

Brilliant find, BWD

50 Responses to ““I want to know if my hair is just like yours””

1. 1 Proud Former White House Intern
    May 23, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Love indeed

• 2 theo67
      May 23, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Hey Proud – congratulations! You’re on a roll today!! )

• 6 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      May 23, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Wow, you’ve got a streak going today!! :D

(many others so informed in my TL)

#AmericaThisIsNotATest
      Yes We Will … Do More Together

May 23, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I can’t wait for the debates to see how Mitt responds when he can’t run or feign indignation because he’s being asked to be accountable. I almost, almost feel sorry for him, except that I think he might not even recognize when he’s bested in argument. After all, he’s been impervious to all facts to date. Yes it’s going to be fun to see him wandering the stage like McCain, trying to look commanding. :lol:

• 8 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
          May 23, 2012 at 7:52 pm

He likely will be arrogant and angry …. it is not going to be a pretty picture, for sure, for him.

#PRESSON

May 23, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I can see Mitt angry in my mind even now, because PBO isn’t going to be intimidated by him as maybe Perry was. Also PBO has what the others didn’t, a wonderful grasp of ALL aspects of what the country needs, not just talking points fed him by some adviser. This summer can’t pass quickly enough for me!!! :razz:

2. 10 janicegwashington
    May 23, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Heart-wrenching and beautiful!

3. 11 Ladyhawke
    May 23, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Tweety’s disdain for Mitt Romney on full display in his first segment. He interviews Rattner and Halperin (Mark is useless).

Tweety said Mitt Romney is the hermetically sealed candidate. We can’t talk about his Mormonism, his time as governor of Massachusetts, don’t even mention Romneycare, we can’t talk about his time at Bain unless it’s in a positive light. Well, what can we talk about. Apparently, we are just supposed to accept that because he was a businessman that’s all we need to know. And please don’t ask for any specifics on how he will govern. Details can be discussed AFTER the election, if ever.

• 12 Pamela
      May 23, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Well, except in closed rooms, with very very very wealthy white men who have no limit to their greed for power.

• 13 Cha
      May 23, 2012 at 9:58 pm

It’s not as if willard mitt romney hasn’t been giving us clues on how much a a sociopathic, pathological liar, and narcississtic case study he is since he charged forth as the demon barber from hell. Heck, there may have been earlier signs but that’s early enough to see where that was going unless he got help..and, alas, that was not to be.

May 23, 2012 at 7:25 pm

This has to be one of my favorites…and the one with all the kids at the window with him….I love that one too. The back story on this is priceless…thank you, BWD:)

May 23, 2012 at 7:27 pm

You have to post this Chips!!! Way cool:) Did I say how damn much I love him???

• 16 isonprize
      May 23, 2012 at 7:29 pm

DF, go back a few posts. It’s up!! Very cool video…

• 17 Cha
      May 23, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Wow, df! I missed it before..Mahalos Plenty for the link~ I don’t see how anyone could whine about that beautiful declaration but, of course, left baggers find a way to do it.

6. 18 bestpresidentever
    May 23, 2012 at 7:31 pm

OMG, Chips! I just wrote a comment on the last thread about the same article!

• 19 bestpresidentever
      May 23, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Helloo beautiful people of TODville! Long time no see. Been away traveling and work…long story. Also been lurking whenever possible, but I’ve missed so much. It’s nice to be back home for a while, and TOD is part of that home.

Anyhow, first thing I wanted to share today is an old WH picture we are all VERY familiar with, but it finally got a larger audience thanks to an article on the NYTimes. What really struck me though was the comments section: ALL beautiful, touching and admiring comments, not even one negative comment. I just couldn’t believe it. It teared me up. PBO is so right when he says he has so much faith in this country and the American people. Truly, there are more beautiful people out there than the pundits would have us believe. FORWARD, my friends, FORWARD!!

7. 20 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    May 23, 2012 at 7:36 pm

No matter what, he will be forced to face this reality ….

#PRESSON

May 23, 2012 at 7:58 pm

And Bobfr, why aren’t the great journalists like Chuck Todd, Jake Tapper, Ed Henry, Mark Knoller, asking that question? Hay Mr. Romney when are you going to release your tax returns? The “great” Chuck Todd is more concern about empty seats at the Obama campaign rally. I want to know why Mitt isn’t releasing his tax returns?

8. 22 proudmemberofglobalzero
    May 23, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Hi all. I am a little busy of late but, I want to tell you just a few observations. As I am driving in my home county of Palm Beach Fl, I am seeing more and more Obama 2012 Bumper Stickers. I have NONE for Romeny and just 1 for Congressman Paul. Obama 2012 are popping up all over.

On another note, I was a work today. I was behind the counter and a woman and I just started chatting away. It was casual and then went to politics. CSPAN was great before I had to leave from work. Both the Brookings Guy and the Club for Growth guy agreed, TAXES MUST GO UP.

She is concerned about the deficit. I told her to “Google” August 5th 1861. GWB was the first President to not raise taxes to pay for war. I told her less than 1% of our budget goes to foreign aide and to not confuse military bases with aide. I told her to please watch how close off shore oil wells come to the beach outside her window before she votes in 2012. I asked her what would happen to the Florida Economy if tourists stopped coming to see our beaches. Canada may have gone home for the season but WOW, I love Europeans. WE chatted for a while and then she said, “Can you run for office”? This is how informed this blog makes me.

It is because of all of you that I was so flattered today.

• May 23, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Brilliant. I have to tweet some of your remarks because they are so cogent and important. Thank you for your involvement with us!!

• 25 bestpresidentever
      May 23, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Johnny come lately’s….how long how we been telling them that? And they still put it in question marks….cowards!

May 23, 2012 at 8:15 pm

What a stupid question? Hell yes they have been sabotaging the economy from day one, and the media knew that they have been doing that, but refuse to say anything.

9. 27 Proud Former White House Intern
    May 23, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Chips how are you going to top this one, have I broken a record today?

May 23, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Yeah, we sure have got the best president e-vah and we sure ain’t going back! (Suddenly remembered that young boy at some rally or other who was holding up a poster saying we aren’t going back.)

11. 31 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    May 23, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Tweety won’t escape this one …

#PRESSON

• 32 daisydem
      May 23, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Traitors … they are all traitors.

May 23, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I decided to join you, Bobfr, with a tweet to Tweety

• 39 lmrj
      May 23, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Pretty sad that the MSM doesn’t even know RMoney needs them more than they need him. What would he do if the press never showed up to cover him? Pretty stupid if you ask me.

• 41 Cha
      May 23, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Their access to what? A sociopathic, pathological Liar? Just make up stuff like willard does. Not that they could make up anything worse than the narcississtic liar does. Say whatever..willard might get in touch with THEM. lol

12. 42 trinisamba
    May 23, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Only someone with a clean heart and mind could have acted the way PBO did in that instant. Photographs are not usually the best medium to determine a person’s character BUT POTUS and FLOTUS Obama have broken that barrier. NEVER have I seen two people who can exude such warmth, love and true caring for their fellow human beings. 4 more for 44! I wish I could vote.

13. May 23, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Odds and ends about my day. First, Wonderful visit w/my mother. Best in a long time. Yes, she seems weaker each week and sleeps a lot after lunch (wears her out), but we had a delightful talk at lunch about her egg custard, how she made it, how delicious it was, etc. That was brought about because the dessert today was egg custard. Also, I was there for 3 hrs. and only heard 3 or 4 times about bathroom needs. That is usually NON-stop. Another good thing: There was a problem with her “Cadillac” model wheel chair so I called the company (local). The owner was there within 30 minutes and fixed it…..showed me how to fix it if it happens again. What a caring, kind, compassionate young man! All that stuff—–GOOD! Now for the not so good:

First, a normal 2 hr. 10 minute trip took over 3 hours–road construction and when I got into town, rush hour traffic in a downpour! Second, early this morning I shared on FB the line chart about the debt growing less under PO. This afternoon, I found in my email an email entitled: A picture is worth a 1000 words. It was this email:http://www.politifact.com/new-jersey/statements/2012/may/04/chain-email/obama-has-added-more-national-debt-previous-43-pre/ PLUS this line in big bright blue print at the bottom: You cannot get the water to clear up until you get the pigs out of the creek. At the top of the email, he said: “A little different view from your Facebook post??” I did not and will not respond to the email. I did post on FB as my status update: WOW…..speechless. It did not make me angry. It makes me so very sad. There is such hate and disrespect for this fine man.

Thanks for letting me share and get this off my chest. You all are THE BEST!!!!!

14. 45 Pamela
    May 23, 2012 at 8:32 pm

DENEA GOT THE ENGLISH BLOGGER JOB! SHE WILL SOON POST A THANK YOU BIG ENOUGH TO MATCH THE GENEROUS SPIRIT OF THOSE WHO CALL THE OBAMA DIARY HOME! How cool is this, everybody! :lol:

May 23, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Way to go ‘young Pamela’! or …Congratulations, Denea!! Good for yoiu! I can feel the pride and joy through the internet, proud Maman. :lol: :lol:

• 47 Pamela
        May 23, 2012 at 9:05 pm

What is ultra cool we were talking on Skype when the phone call came through from France, and I was witness to the offer and the acceptance! It was a fantastic moment! All o’ y’all were chatting away on Rise and Shine! But I had to wait for the clearance to make the announcement publicly! Proud is the word! Amazing feeling! More later!

• 48 sherijr
          May 23, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Huge Congratulations to Denea- very very happy for her Pamela.. tell her Well Done & best wishes on her new future :)

15. 49 57andfemale
    May 24, 2012 at 1:21 am

Oh BWD and Chips — it does not get more wonderful than this. thank you both so much.

16. May 24, 2012 at 8:56 am

I wrote this comment over at DailyKos who has the same photo on their front page:
    That photo was presented (2+ / 0-)
    on this site by BlackWaterDog. You know the person who was denigrated, harassed and made fun of by the Kossacks for 2 years before she finally left?
    Anyway many of us still remaining black folks followed her to other sites.
    We now place favorite TheObamaDiary.com where BWD continues to post.