May

More Mitt Mania!

Romney visits Universal Bluford Charter School, Philadelphia

Feel the frenzy!

Reminded me of:

Students show their excitement at meeting President Barack Obama during his visit to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Charter School in New Orleans, La., Oct. 15, 2009. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

After reading “‘Twas the Night Before Christmas” President Barack Obama greets second grade students at Long Branch Elementary School in Arlington, Va., Dec. 17, 2010. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

President Barack Obama greets children from the Valleyland Kids summer program outside a school in Chatfield, Minn., during a three-day bus tour in the Midwest, Aug. 15, 2011. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

So, so similar.

Coming up:

4:00: PBO arrives in Des Moines

4:55: Tours TPI Composites

5:15: Delivers remarks on urging Congress to act on the ‘To Do List’

6:55: Delivers remarks at a campaign event (listed in CNN’s live streaming schedule)

9:20: Departs Des Moines en route Joint Base Andrews

11:30: Arrives at Joint Base Andrews

11:45: Arrives at the White House

164 Responses to “More Mitt Mania!”

1. 1 ourmanflint
    May 24, 2012 at 1:36 pm

greetings been away a while

2. 4 ourmanflint
    May 24, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Lurking mostly , when I could take a break. Hope everyone is having a smashing day!!

May 24, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Congrats! My day was going well before Mitt poked his head in. Looks like they just plopped Mitt down in the middle of the class and he wasn’t savvy enough to face forward with the kids. The man’s just hopeless at politicking!

• 6 Pamela
        May 24, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Trying to look Oh! So Busy! with his sleeves rolled up and all…. Plastic, phoney, poor imitation of the real President of he United States!

May 24, 2012 at 3:13 pm

What astounds me is that his handlers don’t seem to know how to ‘position’ him so that they minimize the plastic effect. That picture where he is facing backwards and the kids forwards is such a pathetic photo op because IMO it shows so clearly he doesn’t know how to fit in! It’s like they plopped him in the middle and he didn’t know what to do to become ‘a part of the group’ AND NO ONE TOLD HIM! Though ‘who let the dogs out’ was awful, it was marginally better than this. If I had the skill that is one pic I’d tweet with a ‘Mitt REALLY doesn’t get it!’ caption.

• 8 theo67
            May 24, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I had the same thought – why was he facing the opposite direction from the kids? And he looks pained in those pictures, like he can’t wait to get out of there. The plans he has for these kids futures should make him ashamed to stand in front of them. And the fact that he lies with every breath should preclude him from getting in front of kids without a parent’s explicit permission. They made President Obama get permission to wish kids a good school year filled with hard work and lots of learning. They let Mitt (and other GOP) in front of kids to try and get photo ops, and spread their lies.

May 24, 2012 at 3:54 pm

All that you’ve said is quite true. The only saving grace IMO is that the more (some) politicians are seen up close the better the end result for the electorate. I’d be extremely surprised if Mitt got ONE vote out of this visit, parents here being charter school fans or not. He probably ‘creeped’ out more than a handful of those kids.

May 24, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Dozed off in front of the screen, I did. Must be the subject.

4. 13 danadevin74
    May 24, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Mittens looks so uncomfortable
    Beautiful children though

5. 14 ourmanflint
    May 24, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Mitt is so pathetic. putting the kids through this must be a felony or worse

May 24, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Now take Mitt out, and put FLOTUS or POTUS there and the kids would be acting like a real person is with them. They would be so excited.

6. 16 JER
    May 24, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Take this Poll: If the election was held today who would you choose? Vote here: http://www.kcci.com/#ixzz1voFImM8Q

7. 22 proudmemberofglobalzero
    May 24, 2012 at 1:40 pm

The one picture that bothers me most is, all those beautiful children knew the answer to a question and raised there hands. Is Mitt the only one that didn’t? Is he NOT smarter than a 5th grader?

8. 23 sherijr
    May 24, 2012 at 1:40 pm

good grief- the faces of these youngsters reflect what would be my exact expression should I find myself in a room with Mitt Romney.

9. 24 Hachikō
    May 24, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Wow. The contrast between kids’ reaction to POTUS and these kids reaction to Willard is stark. Chips, you should post some pics of POTUS in a similar setting so people can see the difference.

10. 25 ourmanflint
    May 24, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Reminds me of the line I saw few days ago. How would you identify mitt among a group of robots….he would be the stiff one.

• 26 AnitaW
      May 24, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Ha. That was a good one. Even in a group of children who clearly look uncomfortable he looks more so.

11. May 24, 2012 at 1:41 pm

So the Romney campaign thinks by sticking Mittens in a classroom with African American school children it’s going to make him look like he can relate to the “black” culture. Give me a friggin’ break. He’s a pandering fool!!

12. 30 Debz
    May 24, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Don’t those children look excited to see Mitt????? In every photo that pos does not look at all interested in these children. he is not engaged at all. Just a photo op.

• 31 COS
      May 24, 2012 at 1:48 pm

This joker look so out of place. Teachers are not stupid enough to put him in office. He has no ideas of his own.

• 32 Debz
        May 24, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I can’t believe his campaign was stupid enough to put him in this situation. POTUS could show up at any school tomorrow and have children swarming him.

13. 33 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    May 24, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Simply ….

#AmericaThisIsNotATest
    #PRESSON

14. 34 itgurl_29
    May 24, 2012 at 1:46 pm

He looks like he’d rather be anywhere but in a classroom full of black children. He can’t even pretend to be pleased to meet them. SMH

• 35 miss pat
      May 24, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Why oh why did that fool write about a dog and the word dizzy in the same sentence. Seamus was dizzy on that rooftop. Maybe Seamus ghost made him write that.

15. 36 Debz
    May 24, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Everyone should read snark knoller’s take on this, what a hoot!! :-D

16. May 24, 2012 at 1:50 pm

That darling little girl sitting next to the Mittbot looks like she is stifling a laugh or trying hard not to barf. Take your pick.

17. 46 PoliticalJunkessa
    May 24, 2012 at 1:52 pm

The first pic is hilarious. Who decided to put these kids through this painful photo op? :shock:

Also, the last thing Willard needs to be holding up is something mentioning dogs….the ghost of Seamus must be LHAO.

18. 50 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    May 24, 2012 at 1:53 pm

@MittRomney just had his ‘Dukakis on a tank’ moment … that is the first thought that came to mind when I saw the first of those images, Chips, the remainder of the images only drove it home, especially the one with him holding his little banner of banality (and, he was stupid enough to include ‘dog’).

I can’t bring myself to tweet it with any of the photos because it would be a further, gross aduse of those beautiful children. #BullyMitt’s very presence among them literally makes my skin prickle.

We need a landslide on 6 Nov 2012 that will resound for decades.

#PRESSON

• 51 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      May 24, 2012 at 1:54 pm

that’s ‘abuse’ not ‘aduse’ …. I’m am truly very angry about what he subjected those children to experience.

• May 24, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Good call Bob. Those kids were not happy with the Romney photo op! It is such a pleasure to see POTUS witth kids, Romney? Meh!

• 53 sherijr
        May 24, 2012 at 2:09 pm

me too Bob.. I can’t imagine who thought this was a remotely good idea.. I’m sure Mitt actually believed he could fool a bunch of children.

• 54 57andfemale
      May 24, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I think those children would love to help defeat this creep.

• 55 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      May 24, 2012 at 2:21 pm

As noted in my initial comment on the creep known accurately as #BullyMitt, just no way I could link to any of the pictures of the children. They were abused enough today by being subjugated (something he does very well indeed) to a totally Mitt-serving photo op. I hope others will hang this particular photo op on him they way the did the tank and helmet on Dukakis.

So, the sentiments in this Tweet are hopefully conveyed to bring further attention to the #BullyMitt’s core inhumanity and incessant exploitation of others ….

#AmericaThisIsNotATest …. It’s our future, for real.

• 56 daisydem
      May 24, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Decades!

19. May 24, 2012 at 1:56 pm

20. May 24, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Isn’t she great?

21. 60 bizgirl
    May 24, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Kids know SHADY when they see it.

22. May 24, 2012 at 1:59 pm

23. May 24, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Goes to show how well behaved children can be, even when they’d rather be ANYWHERE else than shaking hands with a man they are clearly not into. Kudos to the children!

• 64 Debz
      May 24, 2012 at 2:11 pm

“Who is this creepy white guy?”

• 65 Jax6655
      May 24, 2012 at 2:21 pm

OMG. The expressions are PRICELESS! They can’t hide what they’re thinking. Of course Rmoney has no clue.
      Photo-op FAIL!

• 66 CindyH
        May 24, 2012 at 3:29 pm

My thoughts exactly – the very first photo had me cracking up in my cubicle until I thought how awful it must have been for those kids to suffer through his visit politely

24. 67 trinisamba
    May 24, 2012 at 2:06 pm

There is an old saying which says that if you are liked by children and the elderly then you MUST be in good standing. Well POTUS got a quadruple or higher dose of liking from both sides and even from in between. Mitts got none. I would have kept my child home on that day for fear of him/her needing to have psychological counselling for the rest of his/her life.LMAO!!!!!!!!!

25. 68 Bill
    May 24, 2012 at 2:06 pm

The older lady having coffee with Willard at a prior campaign stop was more excited than those beautiful children.

26. 69 isonprize
    May 24, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Wow, just wow!! I can’t even imagine the thought process that went into deciding that Mitt Romney should go to a charter school in West Philadelphia. What point was he trying to make?

May 24, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Did you go to greet him Ison? I tried to spot your hat in the back of the classroom or across the street without any luck.

• 71 isonprize
        May 24, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Only because I had a prior commitment, was I NOT there to help my fellow Obots give Myth R-money the same kind of ‘welcome’ we gave Gov. “Cut it” Corbett. \

That welcome included rolling out the red carpet. This was a very special red carpet — it had unemployed people (both men AND women -imagine that!), children, public education, people with disabilities under it. That way, it made it easier for him to walk on them in public.

May 24, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Sorry Myth R missed the real red carpet treatment; the kids substituted with a ‘cool’ welcome though. ;)

May 24, 2012 at 2:09 pm

You’d think socially insensitive Willard would be steered away from the topic of dogs and driving by his campaign/media team! These guys must work for free, because if he pays them they’re not worth whatever he pays them.

• 74 COS
      May 24, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Chips you are to funny. I refreshed my screen and saw all of the excitement from the kids for our dear President. I laughed out loud when I looked at the fraudster above PBO photos. :)

28. 75 LOL
    May 24, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I LOVE RAHM!!!!! Really, why would you eff with someone who sent a pollster A DEAD FISH?!?!

Mayor Rahm Emanuel laughed and then walked out of a news conference on Wednesday when asked why he has not returned an apologetic phone call from Ricketts after revelations surfaced about his father’s involvement in a conservative SuperPAC considering a $10 million plan to attack the president by resurrecting the Rev. Jeremiah Wright controversy.

The mayor also refused to say whether he believes the political controversy caused by family patriarch Joe Ricketts’ SuperPAC would sabotage the Cubs’ appeal for a $150 million taxpayer subsidy to help renovate Wrigley Field.

Dennis Culloton, a spokesman for Tom Ricketts, said he has no desire to “interpret” the walkout by the mayor, President Barack Obama’s re-election campaign chair and his former chief of staff.

29. May 24, 2012 at 2:12 pm

LOL! I knew they would Spin those 3 State poll results, as bad news for Obama. Tamron is now calling the President, Mr. 48%!

Bullshit spin baby.

• 78 LOL
      May 24, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Jovie…that’s what Chuckie has been reduced to. It really is pathetic. Yesterday Mark Halperin had the Quinn Florida poll on his site for at least 3 hrs if not more. Today, after a 20 min appearance, the NBC polls- the same network he is constantly on- cannot be seen. Zeke Miller on Buzzfeed wrote an entire story on Quinn’s Florida poll…today, a tweet, and no story. They really shouldn’t be so fucking obvious. They keep whining about how the Prez is in deep doo doo, but Mr Business can’t quite get past 45%- the same McCain got last time. What’s wrong. I thought the country is fed up with the Prez and willing to run into Mittens arms. If the MSM’s constant bloviations about “wrong track” and real unemployment and so on and so on is so bad…why is the President leading, or tied?

• 79 ChristiMTL
      May 24, 2012 at 2:21 pm

When she played a clip of Scarborough, I put it on mute…..

• 80 EricFive
      May 24, 2012 at 2:33 pm

It is just going to be a repeat of “good news for McCain” b.s. we had during the 2008 campaign. Glad to see more and more people are catching on to the game. Notice how margin of error is only mentioned when discussing polls PBO leads in? Notice how a 3 point lead by PBO over Mitt is describe as a “dead heat” by our impartial MSM? Notice how polls with suspect filters favoring Mitt are touted while reputable polls (sometime the network’s own polls) are ignored when they show PBO in the lead? It’s anti-Obama propaganda pure and simple. It didn’t work in 2008 and it won’t work in 2012.

30. 81 EricFive
    May 24, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Those pictures are HILARIOUS. The kids clearly have Mitt on their “pay no mind list”. The handshake photos are especially funny/informative, its as though they think Mitt has the cooties or something. On a real note, the kids must instictively detect Mitt is a man of no substance. He inspires absolutely no enthusiasm or joy in the children (same with his adult audiences, btw). Mitt’s charisma deficit may be his biggest political liability, especially since he is running against a man who happens to be one of the most charismatic leaders this world has ever seen.

31. 82 PoliticalJunkessa
    May 24, 2012 at 2:15 pm

OOOOoooooooOOOOO, that pic from Minnesota was one of my absolute faves! I’m also thinking about a YouTube video (but can’t pull up at work) of a visit PBO, Michelle and the girls made to a Chicago school not long after the election, but before Inauguration where the kids went absolutely bonkers. There was a little girl in pink sleeves who held onto his arm and pants leg and wouldn’t let go. It was adorable.

• 91 isonprize
      May 24, 2012 at 2:49 pm

hatred with the heat of a thousand suns!!!

Wow, do we have work to do on voter suppression. This is beyond hateful.

• May 24, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I don’t know why people are so upset about this. Our Sec. of State does this every year and it doesn’t effect voter turnout at all.

• 93 57andfemale
        May 25, 2012 at 7:32 am

Because a voter purge and caging of votes for the sole purpose of kicking people off the voter rolls contributed to the loss in FL in 2000. Especially when the areas targeted are poor, minority, seniors and students. It is used as a tactic of the Republican party to suppress the numbers of Democratic votes. That’s why. It’s serious.

32. 94 sherijr
    May 24, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I’ve been not commenting too much of late, as I’ve been so engrossed in finding a house… and yesterday I do believe I found one. I’ve put in an offer on a fairly decent place and am hoping to hear back before too long. Its a short sale which means it may take a while.. but hopefully not, as the new owners of my house are now living in their RV in my back yard :) . Anyhow, just wanted to say hi to all of you & to Chips as though I read here throughout the day I haven’t commented much.. I’m trying really hard to be all packed up by the time everything goes through.. so we can get on the road immediately. My middle son will be flying out here and he’ll drive us from ND to MD.. I’m not much on driving, so I’m very grateful for his help.

So happy Thursday to everyone.. except Mitt Romney ;)

• 95 57andfemale
      May 24, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Glad to hear from you. Hope everything works out.

• May 24, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Good for you. I hope the purchase goes through for you. I know you can’t wait to get a move on. That should be some drive from ND to MD, especially through the mountains. Good Luck. I talked to #1 today who is still looking for living arrangements there. She’s staying with a friend, but wants her own place. I’m still hoping she’ll end up back home.

• 102 sherijr
        May 24, 2012 at 5:47 pm

it is so very very hard for folks to find homes here.. they’re selling quicker than they can build. Now.. both my mother and sister are selling their homes ;) my mom’s has been on the market for about 2 weeks. Let me know if you want more info. My sister’s house won’t be on the market until after my mom’s house sells though. They’re both moving back to CA.. so i’ll be on one coast & they’ll be back on the other.

33. 103 57andfemale
    May 24, 2012 at 2:24 pm

OpenSecrets.org data shows that historically women give far less money to political candidates than men do — so far this election cycle, about 70 percent of the donors are men — but Obama bucks that trend. Overall, about 44.5 percent of his donors are female, and about 30.7 percent of Romney’s donors are women.

But anyone who thinks the War on Women stuff isn’t having an effect, check this out:

An analysis of each campaign’s donations on a month-by-month basis shows that, as Obama accused the GOP of waging a “war on women,” his fundraising dollars from women have stayed steady and Romney’s have declined.

34. May 24, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Tony Soprano explains Bain Capital

35. 110 Pamela
    May 24, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Lunchtime!

36. 111 Ladyhawke
    May 24, 2012 at 2:36 pm

ROMNEY ON HIGHER EDUCATION, BRING BACK THE “MIDDLEMAN”

Restoring the middleman to higher education

By Steve Benen

———————————–

One of the overlooked accomplishments of President Obama’s term is the reform of the student-loan system — an effort that was decades in the making, but had been blocked by Republicans and bank lobbyists until 2010.

Under the old system, the student-loan industry received billions in taxpayer subsidies to provide a service the government could perform for less. As Rachel explained on the show a month ago, in 2010, Democrats removed the middleman, streamlined the process, saved taxpayers a ton of money, and helped more young people get college degrees.

Yesterday, Mitt Romney unveiled a new education agenda, which vows to bring the middleman back.

————————————

37. May 24, 2012 at 2:37 pm

24 May 2012 10:56 AM
    Quote For The Day II

“There was a woman in Iowa who shared her story of financial struggles, and he gave her an answer right out of an economic textbook. He said, “Our productivity equals our income.” And the notion was that somehow the reason people can’t pay their bills is because they’re not working hard enough. If they got more productive, suddenly their incomes would go up.

Well, those of us who’ve spent time in the real world — (laughter) — know that the problem isn’t that the American people aren’t productive enough — you’ve been working harder than ever. The challenge we face right now, and the challenge we’ve faced for over a decade, is that harder work has not led to higher incomes, and bigger profits at the top haven’t led to better jobs,”
    - President Barack Obama.

38. 113 57andfemale
    May 24, 2012 at 2:39 pm

39. 114 Ladyhawke
    May 24, 2012 at 2:43 pm

David Waldman ‏@KagroX

——————

Is there a greater context in which to evaluate Bain as job creators than the clear statement of its partners that they had no such mission?

——————

40. May 24, 2012 at 2:46 pm

My oh my, I’m on the other thread remarking to JaquelineOboomer about how my innermost thoughts go unnoticed due to thread changes and other techno difficulties. So by way of confirmation to my angst, this threads been up forever.

41. 117 Ladyhawke
    May 24, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Polls And Pessimism

May 23, 2012 by catsnjammer64

————————-

Does it surprise you that in spite of the spending sign ticking away behind him that Mitt Romney, as all of the Republicans in Congress knows, President Obama’s spending has flat lined and he has spent less than any President since Dwight D Eisenhower following the Korean War? Would you be surprised to hear that statistically Republican Presidents spend far more in Corporate welfare and tax incentives throughout history than what Democrat presidents spend? Despite all the pork the Republican Congress has loaded on, they along with Mitt Romney are deliberately lying to us, the American public, when they speak about President Obama’s out of control spending and the media does not call them on these lies.Do you know that for the first time since 2008 people are able to quit their job and find another one to replace it? There are even signs that the European Market looks more hopeful.

When Mitt Romney and his fellow Republicans tell us that this is the slowest recovery from any recession since the Great Depression they fail to tell us it is also the worse recession that any President has inherited and would have been worse than the Great Depression if President Obama had not been sworn in when he was. In January of 2009 when President Obama was sworn in unemployment had reached 9.9%. It was under 4% when George W. Bush took office. It was the only time in history that unemployment fell to 4% as statistically it runs around 5.5% even during a robust economy, yet Mitt Romney has suggested that if President Obama does not get it down to 4% then he is a failure, even though Mitt himself is only holding himself to 6% unemployment.

—————————-

42. 119 57andfemale
    May 24, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Sometimes my husband……….

He just said he agreed with Romney, who said there were many countries where class size wasn’t important. Oh, honey…….

So I dug. I found that Willard cited a study by McKinsey & Company. You won’t find me citing wiki very often on anything, but this is nothing more than a shadowy conservative group. And thanks, Chelsea Clinton, for giving them cover(!) They ‘train’ CEO’s, hedge funds and other fine contributions to society. They’re the ones who did a ‘scholarly’ hit job on ACA from which they had to seriously back off when forced to disclose their methodology (secrecy being their most important trait).

It’s long, but take a few minutes to dig into the kind of ‘studies’ and consulting these asshats do:

• May 24, 2012 at 3:05 pm

That’s funny that he’d cite McKinsey when they are considered a direct competitor of Bain.

• 121 57andfemale
        May 24, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Well, they appear to function as a quasi ‘think’ tank (which must always be put in quotes), producing dubious ‘research’ to push conservative memes. I didn’t remember them per se but I remembered the ‘group’ that did a ‘study’ on ACA that contradicted CBO estimates and others. At first they wouldn’t divulge their methodology, and when forced to do so they backtracked on their claims. RWNJ’s, interested in nothing but profit. Thanks, Chelsea Clinton, for being part of their organization.

Hedge funds appear to be only a part of what they do. they appear to be a training camp for CEO’s – what a lofty goal that is.

• 123 ChristiMTL
      May 24, 2012 at 3:07 pm

About time!!! I was boycotting them…

• May 24, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Woo-Hoo! I order at least half a dozen books a month. And I’ve been sending them regular messages. One message was responded to — without any mention of ALEC.

• 126 57andfemale
        May 24, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Me, too. Unfortunately I really need Amazon because of the kind of research I do. I really need to purchase books on a regular basis, and if I get some of my research materials on my kindle it really helps — notetaking is much easier, highlighting, searching for information. So I admit I did not boycott but I only ordered what I absolutely needed to order. I sent them repeated messages on ALEC. Amazon does not need ALEC and I am so pleased they finally bowed to pressure.

Pressure works. Our voices matter.

• 127 Cha
      May 24, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Whoa..I never thought I’d see that! Another company that dropped ALEC was Arizona Public Service which I thought was INTERESTING!

43. 128 JER
    May 24, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Romney visits inner-city charter school in Philadelphia in outreach to black voters
    Posted by Philip Rucker at 02:07 PM ET, 05/24/2012

PHILADELPHIA – When Mitt Romney came to an inner-city charter school here Thursday to promote his new education agenda, he received something of a history lecture about the persecution of blacks in America and the struggles of African American children to meet the academic achievements of their white counterparts. …

Outside, meanwhile, some brick row houses across from the school were boarded up. Police had cordoned off a full city block to protect Romney and his entourage. Residents, some of them organized by Obama’s campaign, stood on their porches and gathered at a sidewalk corner to shout angrily at Romney. Some held signs saying, “We are the 99%.” One man’s placard trumpeted an often-referenced Romney gaffe: “I am not concerned about the very poor.”

Madaline G. Dunn, 78, who said she has lived here for 50 years and volunteers at the school, said she is “personally offended” that Romney would visit her neighborhood.

“It’s not appreciated here,” she said. “It is absolutely denigrating for him to come in here and speak his garbage.”
    Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter (D) addressed protesters and the media, quipping that Romney “suddenly somehow found West Philadelphia.”

…“You want to have an urban experience?” Nutter added. “You want to have a West Philly experience? Then come out here and talk to somebody in West Philly.”

Philadelphia’s district attorney, Seth Williams, said Romney does not understand the plight of urban America and was hiding from “real Americans.”

“Instead of just talking at the school and getting back on his huge bus, he should come out, he should walk 60th Street, he should talk to folks who are out here that are mad so maybe he could understand how real Americans, those that live here in urban America, the issues that are important to us,” Williams said. …

More here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/post/romney-visits-inner-city-charter-school-in-philadelphia-in-outreach-to-black-voters/2012/05/24/gJQAWBWYnU_blog.html?wpisrc=emailtoafriend

• 129 57andfemale
      May 24, 2012 at 3:07 pm

But Saudi Arabia and South Korea and Finland (!) do just fine with huge classes! McKinsey & Company study says so! (see my comment above for who McKinsey & Company is…… it will turn your stomach.)

Saudi Arabia, Mitt? Seriousy?!?!?!?!

• May 24, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Not one child could be caught smiling with Mitt. They either had no idea who he was, or were sorely disappointed when they realized it wasn’t PBO who was coming to visit their school as they’ve seem him at other schools. They’ve never heard of Mitt, unless of course they were a part of the ‘Who Let the Dogs Out” songfest he did with a group of AA children.

• 131 isonprize
      May 24, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Let’s just say that whoever is ‘advising’ Myth R-money is doing a great job. I hope they keep it up. Seriously, I really do.

PLEASE keep advising him to go charter schools in poor, black neighborhoods, please keep advising him to go to schools that have done no better, and often done worse, than the public schools that they took over. PLEASE, PLEASE, keep visiting schools that are run by people that know nothing about education.

Please let him keep thinking that he can relate to black people by contrasting a single mom in a shelter with a couple of kids with a mom and a dad who are home for dinner every night.

Yeah, Myth R-money advisor, PLEASE keep doing this.

• May 24, 2012 at 6:23 pm

well, they’re working right out of, ‘How to canvas 101′. Check one: Go sit with some black kids. Check two. Go sit with some handicap kids. Check three. Go sit with some elderly people. Go to a black church. Rinse. repeat

May 24, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Now isn’t Mitt scared his supporters will get mad, I mean they might be asking what is he visiting those people for? Tell Mitt it’s not about the photo-op,it’s about the policies, your policies Mitt.

• 134 TrumpDog
      May 24, 2012 at 4:11 pm

LOL. I think it will take more than ONE visit to a charter school to get Black votes.
      By the way, I can tell you that constantly denegrating Pres. Obama is NOT a good way to ingratiate yourself to Black voters. It aint gonna happen.

44. 135 4morefor44
    May 24, 2012 at 3:01 pm

what great photo editing, chips! amazing difference!! and of course it’s like that with adult audiences too.

45. 136 57andfemale
    May 24, 2012 at 3:09 pm

May I add my loathing for wordpress. Now you just get a symbol that there are comments to your comments instead of a number. If there were three new comments I would read the three that I hadn’t read before. Now I don’t know how many comments there are on the rolling list.

wordpress sucks. What possible advantage is there to this change?

• May 24, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I never knew there was such a feature to begin with. I just use the scroll on the PC, up and down, up and down, up and down…..until I find that someone has acknowledged my post. Of course by then, there’s a new thread up.

• 138 isonprize
        May 24, 2012 at 3:34 pm

cookemom, you have to sign in using WordPress to get the little box in the upper right corner. It USED to say how many replies had been made to one of your coments. Now, as 57female pointed out, it just shows a little icon, but doesn’t tell you how many.

A REALLY stupid change, but, hey, they didn’t ask me.

• 139 57andfemale
          May 24, 2012 at 3:58 pm

It was the one feature I really liked. I really enjoyed the conversations and how much easier it was to keep those conversations going. Nice job, as always, wordpress. If it works you screw it up.

46. 140 Ladyhawke
    May 24, 2012 at 3:13 pm

THE CHOICE IS CLEAR BETWEEN ROMNEY AND PRESIDENT OBAMA ON EDUCATION

From kindergarten to college: The clear choice between Romney and President Obama on education

——————

Education plays an integral role in a strong economy. President Obama has made critical investments and reforms that broaden educational opportunities for every American.

Mitt Romney is now trying to convince the American people that he has an education plan that ensures a “chance for every child.” But a look at his record and the budget plan he supports would jeopardize the education and economic future of millions of students.

——————–

• 141 57andfemale
      May 24, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I could write volumes on the voucher idea.

First, Republicans like to make it sound like the charter, magnet or private schools are just clamoring to get these kids in their schools. THEY ARE NOT. You can wield any voucher they give you, but don’t think your kid is automatically accepted. They protect their reputations and test scores above any needs of any child.

Then there is the issue of, say, a $5,000 voucher. But the school costs $10,000/year. What good is your voucher? Nothing. Nada. Worthless. Or you’re on the wait list. Unless there are enough spaces for every child in an available better school, the whole thing is meaningless.

The whole notion that if you take $5,000 out of the system and take out that one kid, there is the same amount of money in the public system is absurd. Do utilities cost less? At what point does the money drain lead to the elimination of the music teacher or some special needs teacher, thereby destroying public education. Oh, wait……

The answer, people, is as the Rob Lowe character said in The West Wing, all public school should be [effing] palaces. I actually believe that charter schools, if they are designed to actually educate and not just be profit centers, can offer a lot of good, particularly in urban school systems where a variety of solutions can and should be experimented with. I have close friends who choose to teach at charter schools for less money in order to teach the arts programs that they know students need. They enjoy the freedom that the bureaucracy may not necessarily give them. Not all charter schools are evil, but they require that the mission always be the better education of our children.

But….but…. Willard says that the kids in public schools will magically be able to buy materials and hire tutors. Because ‘choice’ is such a great thing, right? Are you telling me some parent working two jobs has the ability or time to assess the learning materials her child needs and will make an informed decision?

Doesn’t matter. As long as we destroy public education and turn it into a for-profit cash cow so Willard’s ‘winners’ win even more.

Who cares? We’re going to get great engineers from Saudi Arabia and Singapore anyway, according to the U.S. Vision According to Mitt.

47. 142 Ladyhawke
    May 24, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Obama’s reach on marriage equality

By Steve Benen

——————–

After President Obama endorsed marriage equality on two weeks, there was quite a bit of analysis that said the president’s position had symbolic value, but little more. After all, LGBT Americans had no more rights the day after the president’s statement than the day before.

But the analysis was incomplete to the extent that it overlooked a key power: the ability of a president to move public opinion, especially among supporters.
    As PPP’s Tom Jensen explained, “While the media has been focused on what impact President Obama’s announcement will have on his own reelection prospects, the more important fallout may be the impact his position is having on public opinion about same-sex marriage itself.

———————–

• May 24, 2012 at 3:19 pm

These pictures of Mitt Romney used to be all we had to look at. It makes me sick to recall that . . . . crappy politicians, and there often times seemed to be little choice, one between the others. And today, this year, right now, we have a choice. thankyougod. xox

• May 24, 2012 at 3:20 pm

PBM is a good man.

• 145 daisydem
      May 24, 2012 at 3:22 pm

So – this President is not just going with the flow, he may be creating the current, the tide to carry us forward in our policies towards the gay population. Amazing! My eyes are tearing, my heart is swelling. I feel hope.

48. 147 daisydem
    May 24, 2012 at 3:19 pm

You may have to remove the pics of Mitt campaigning amongst the children; they cause me as much pain and confusion as I see reflected on the faces and in the postures of those kids, really. But the ones of our President and kids, kids, kids make me smile and wish I was 10 and had my arms wrapped around his waist (don’t really want to say that I wish that now at my age of 62 – but I do)!

May 24, 2012 at 3:36 pm

A very short David Frum video discussing Washington dysfunction. Check it out.

May 24, 2012 at 3:44 pm

It’s a simple, visual way to show what the problem is as well as an appeal of sorts to patriotism. Please take a look as I can imagine some of you being able to use it to ‘educate’.

• 152 isonprize
        May 24, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Pretty good coming from David Frum, but mildly disingenuous. But from my vantage point, Frum still implies the “both sides do it” argument.

This current batch of Republican politicians and strategists, as evidenced by the meeting they had on inauguration day, is bound and determined to stop Pres. Obama at every turn. There were plenty of Dems, elected and unelected, that hated Pres. Bush. But they never signed pledges and had inauguration day meetings to stop his every move.

• 153 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      May 24, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Hope he enjoys Tony’s explanation of #BainMitt’s ‘Contract On America” ….

#PRESSON

50. 154 anniebella
    May 24, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I feel sorry for those kids. Meeting Mitt Romney, Yuke.

51. May 24, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Those poor kids! Romney looks very uncomfortable too. What a jerk.

52. 156 Linda
    May 24, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Anyone have the live feed to the landing in Iowa ? s/b any minute……

53. 160 lisalovesobama
    May 24, 2012 at 4:01 pm

did y’all see this/ Randi just played it:

• 161 Obama Grandmama
      May 24, 2012 at 11:06 pm

I so wanted Jessica to win, not Phillip Phillips. It seems the cute Southern, guitar playing guy has become the winning formula in the last few seasons. Lots of girls voting I bet.

54. 164 pkayden
    May 25, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Sorry to sound wicked, but my children (if I had any) would have skipped school instead of being forced to shake Romneybot’s hand. Cannot stand the man. Such a liar!

RSS OFA