May

Catching up

President Barack Obama participates in the annual hurricane preparedness briefing in the Situation Room of the White House, May 30, 2012. Seated clockwise from the President are: Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano; John Brennan, Assistant to the President for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism; Daniel Poneman, Department of Energy Deputy Secretary; Eric Silagy, FP&L President; Bryan Koon, Florida Director of Emergency Management; Major General Emmett Titshaw, Florida Adjutant General; Chief of Staff Jack Lew; and Craig Fugate, Administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

ABC: The Obama campaign is opening a new front in its war against GOP rival Mitt Romney, ABC News has learned, with planned attacks to begin this week on Romney’s record as governor of Massachusetts and the campaign promises Democrats say he left unfulfilled.

Team Obama will point to Romney’s rhetoric on job creation, size of government, education, deficits and taxes during the 2002 gubernatorial campaign and draw parallels with his presidential stump speeches of 2012. The goal is to illustrate that Romney has made the same promises before with unimpressive results, officials say.

….Massachusetts was 47th out of 50 states in job creation under Romney. In manufacturing jobs, Romney presided over a net loss of 40,000 jobs, a drop of 12 percent according to Labor Department data.

…. “He sold the same hooey in MA ten years ago, and then turned in one of the worst performances of any gov in the USA. 47th in job creation,” senior Obama strategist David Axelrod tweeted last week, hinting at the direction of the attacks to come.

…. Obama campaign officials say the latest line of attack will be a major focus from now through the election. It dovetails with a major $25 million positive TV ad campaign touting the president’s first-term record. A 14-page research document compiled by the campaign and obtained by ABC News reveals the breadth of material Democrats plan to deploy, listing dozens of examples of Romney rhetoric and corresponding video clips from 2002, 2012, and the comparative “results in Massachusetts”.

More here

First lady Michelle Obama departs the White House to attend an event at Sidwell Friends School on May 30

Thursday:

12:10: PBO and Michelle Obama meet for lunch with George W. Bush, Laura Bush, George H.W. Bush, Barbara Bush and family members.

1:25: PBO and Michelle Obama welcome George W. Bush and Laura Bush for the official unveiling of their portraits; VP Biden, George H.W. Bush and Barbara Bush will also attend.

247 Responses to “Catching up”

1. 1 lamh35
    May 30, 2012 at 9:38 pm

evening chips

2. 8 Betsy
    May 30, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Hello?

3. 22 Hachikō
    May 30, 2012 at 9:42 pm

That Mitt Mania video is hysterical. The photo of him handing off the crying baby is priceless.

4. 23 ChristiMTL
    May 30, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Hahaha Mitt Mania….I can never get enough of the lady with the cup of coffee…..

• May 30, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Me neither ChristiMTL, I think it’s my most ADORED photo of ALL time!!!!

May 30, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I know Christi, she is my absolute favourite, guaranteed to have me giggling every single time I look at her Romney response! I wonder how she reacts when she sees the picture?

5. May 30, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I’m asking friends if they can make a $5 donation to my grassroots fundraising page for @barackobama. Can you? https://my.barackobama.com/page/outreach/view/2012/IfNotNow

6. 28 LOL
    May 30, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I can never get enough of this video

7. 33 Liberal Librarian
    May 30, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Ok, I’ve been a bit busy on Twitter.

8. 38 Liberal Librarian
    May 30, 2012 at 9:49 pm

9. 39 Liberal Librarian
    May 30, 2012 at 9:49 pm

10. 48 Pamela
    May 30, 2012 at 9:50 pm

First? :lol:

May 30, 2012 at 9:57 pm

I’m right there with you Pamela, we can hold hands. Plus doesn’t the Bible say the last shall be first? Let’s just turn the line around, girl. So there, CC! We’ll have the last laugh.

• May 30, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I should get one of these for you and Pamela for your birthdays:

;-)

May 30, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Or throw it in here at TODville when we miss first. I notice it has my trademark turtle on it already, so you’ll only need to add the year you think we’ll be first. :lol:

• May 30, 2012 at 10:16 pm

:lol: I’ll order 300 of them!

May 30, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Nice …. renewed my incentive now I know I can’t lose. And I’m more than willing to share picture or t-shirt.

By the way, I notice you are back to fainting spells again, you’re not missing meals or anything like that, are you? We need you to take care of your health; not to mention repeated falls like these are sure to have a cumulative negative impact on your brainpower over time.

• 55 amk for obama
                May 30, 2012 at 10:44 pm

:). You should sorta pre-send it to vc. I mean you know she ‘gets it”. :)

• 56 xtine
          May 30, 2012 at 10:05 pm

No wories, you guys! I’m just going to claim the 51st state & be done! :)

Nah, are you kidding me? I love seeing all those “First” “Am ?” and then the congrats, and then the fun Chips’ pictures. Sometimes I feel for AMK, VC, Japa, I’m forgetting somebody! And I crack up! Sorry guys! :)

May 30, 2012 at 10:16 pm

‘And I crack up’ See, everyone has a very decided role here in TODville! ;) ;)

• 58 xtine
              May 30, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Awww, but I’m always routing for you all! But darn, I’ve only made 1st one time, then Chips disappeared & I had to keep begging for my pic thereafter, just like, ummm, someone we know! So I felt that, ummm, pain? :) Chips finally gave up on my days of begging & posted my pic! I was All Smiles, Chips! That made my day!

• 59 amk for obama
                May 30, 2012 at 10:43 pm

“ummm, someone we know”

ummm, who that might be ? I am so close to identifying that person. I feel like I know her so well. :)

May 30, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Don’t say you are having memory issues too, AMK? Wow! There are moments when I have someone’s name right on the tip of my tongue , but it just won’t fall off no matter how hard I try to spit it out. I never knew that sort of thing was contagious. Fancy that! You learn something new every day.

• 61 Pamela
        May 31, 2012 at 9:22 am

Hee! Ha! You are so funny! I didn’t see these last night, as I was slumbering blissfully, having given my all throughout the day…anyway, yes please, I measure as a size Small, for my Last Shall Be First teeshirt, color preference non-specific, as I look great in all colors! Me and YOU, VC, thank you Peggysticks, s’all good! :lol:

May 30, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Chips Chica, anyone ever tell you you are sneaky? If yes, I won’t tell you again. If no, I don’t want to be the first. ;) Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the YouTube Mitt Mania! :grin:

12. 65 xtine
    May 30, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Chips, you’re too fast for me! Carried over from last thread:

Last December I travelled overseas to visit family and friends. Anyway, apart from the trip being amazingly lovely, I met quite a few people along the way — some family, some just people such as those one meets in transit at airports. One main question from each person with whom I had a conversation was: “Will PBO be re-elected? I emphatically said, “Yes he will. Only way he doesn’t is if the R’s steal the votes.” One of my uncles said to me, “You need to get busy over there and make sure they do not do that!” He was truly concerned, because in his world that’s happened way too much. Another asked why Jimmy Carter’s “vote team” doesn’t just get out there & verify votes as they do all over the world! Hah! It was a good question! The world knows that the R’s are going to try to disenfranchise voters just to win. Moreover, what they are most worried about is what will happen to the world if the R’s succeed. We and the world have huge stakes in this election.

Please, fabulous TODers, let’s just keep at it!

13. 66 vitaminlover
    May 30, 2012 at 10:01 pm

The caption on that part where the lady is giving the side eye to Willard could say ” You say ONE MORE thing against President Obama and you’ll be wearing this coffee!!” OR “Please, go brush your teeth and use mouthwash.”

May 30, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Just “catching up” on the past threads.

What’s with all the Holder bashing ? Looking at you jovie, especially.

Unless you critics have proof that he is doing nothing on voting rights issues, cease & desist.

• May 30, 2012 at 10:11 pm

I missed it all amk, I’m afraid to look.

• 73 amk for obama
        May 30, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Kinda mood spoiler for me to read that how Holder is not so like shrub’s incompetent and corrupt AG’s. Jeebus, we are talking two straight shooters in Obama & Holder and we are pissed off that they are not like their scummy predecessors ?

• 75 donna dem 4 obama
      May 30, 2012 at 10:15 pm

GM amk!

• 76 amk for obama
        May 30, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Very guten morning donna. I am on my first coffee. Want some ?

• 77 donna dem 4 obama
          May 30, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I’m a tea kind of girl so you enjoy.

I’m glad that you and a few other bloggers commented about the hair-on-fire comments from earlier today. Its tough for people like me who work outside of the home and just check in from time to time throughout the day. I don’t know what to respond to at times. :(

• 78 xtine
      May 30, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Amk, I think that was beautifully dealt with in that thread. Holder had a huge job cleaning out DOJ from all those Liberty Univ., etc. so-called lawyers who’d been hired by Dubya/Rove admin. It was a traversty. As I intimated in the last thread, I don’t think the American electorate has come to a full understanding of the damage done since 2000. Once in a while even I just want to crawl under my covers and pretend it was all a severe nightmare. OK, I just added “severe” — :) Never had one of those in my life!

• 79 HZ
        May 31, 2012 at 1:43 am

Xtine, thanks so much. I appreciate your comments. I hope that I did not upset my TOD family members with my late comments. I just posted. I was out doing some work for our President today, so I am checking in late tonight. But I just could not help myself, when I was trying (without getting into too much) defend Attorney General Eric Holder. I will leave it there. But your comments above are so on point. We continue to support POB by supporting AG Holder. His plate was and still is very full as he took over this huge responsibility of our Attorney General. We will keep positive and move FORWARD. HZ

15. 80 Liberal Librarian
    May 30, 2012 at 10:10 pm

16. 82 Cha
    May 30, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Good Job, Chips! I know it was you cause I recognize that lone dude with the high socks! The poster guy for mitt’s mania! lol

May 30, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Chips, that mittmania has missed the pic of the bored stiff college kids in that rw college (liberty univ?

May 30, 2012 at 10:20 pm

I love my President :)

19. 94 Walking_on_ Sunshine
    May 30, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I posted this on an older thread and realized that there’s no one there anymore.

Commenting on the Celtic Cross that was referred to in the Panorama video about Eastern Eurpoean football fans posted earlier today. I never knew that the Celtic Cross was a sign of white supremacy. I have seen Celtic Crosses in the UK and they are usually associated with ancient holy sites and are not at all sinister, at least I never thought of it that way before today. After doing a little research I see that they are used by Neo Nazis and the like. This is news to me. I don’t think every Celtic Cross I have ever seen was meant to be interpreted that way. I’m sickened to find that they took this ancient Christian symbol and defiled it.

Also, it is common knowledge that this is a racist symbol? Should I have known this already???????

May 30, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Well didn’t know this, so you’re not alone. In fact i now have to go google Celtic cross as I don’t even know what one looks like. My brain expands day by day.

• 97 theo67
      May 31, 2012 at 1:59 am

It’s probably the same way the swastika was once an Indian symbol of luck, until corrupted by the Nazis. The right wing destroys a lot of stuff.

20. 98 anniebella
    May 30, 2012 at 10:22 pm

I wonder Is it at Malia or Sasha’s school were FLOTUS are going?

21. 102 anniebella
    May 30, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Tomorrow the Bushes at the White House. I won’t even think about it. I know POTUS and FLOTUS will show them hospitality and class.

• 103 CEB
      May 30, 2012 at 10:36 pm

When all is said and done, they are members of a very small club; only the people who held the positions have any idea what it is really like to live such a life. Laura Bush spoke out in support of Michelle when she was being criticized at one time and their girls left that lovely letter for Malia and Sasha.They will all have a lovely time and PBO and FLOTUS will be as graceful and personable as they always are. The Bush’s are firmly in the past.

May 30, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I couldn’t care less that they are member of a small club. I won’t say what I want to say.

• 105 theo67
          May 31, 2012 at 2:03 am

I’m biting my tongue too, but I have to say, I turned off any compassion I had for Laura Bush when she announced that she wanted Jeb to run this year – that family has done enough damage! I hope they have a nice lunch, and then move on.

22. May 30, 2012 at 10:31 pm

That quick donate thingy got me twice today—-Michelle just snagged me again. It’s too easy/peasy—–click!—–whoosh!

• 107 Walking_on_ Sunshine
      May 30, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Michelle got me too. I like the way she gets right to the point. The First Lady really is the President’s secret weapon. She’s absolutely lovely. I like on the Daily Show last night when Stewart started to say something about VP Biden and she said “Awwwwwww. I LOVE Joe” She’s so sweet and good.

• 108 Liberal Librarian
      May 30, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Donated $50.

23. 109 yardarm756
    May 30, 2012 at 10:36 pm

24. 114 Ladyhawke
    May 30, 2012 at 10:43 pm

CEO: Ford can’t build enough vehicles to meet demand

———————

Washington— Ford Motor Co.’s President and Chief Executive Alan Mulally says the company can’t build enough vehicles to meet consumer demand.

Mulally said Ford would continue to boost production this year and acknowledged that supply issues will prevent it from building as many vehicles as it wants.

“We’re going to increase production through the rest of the year,” Mulally told reporters after meeting with members of Michigan’s congressional delegation Wednesday. “We have limits on our production as we’re going up. … We really can’t make as many vehicles as people want right now.”

Mulally also noted that the supply base is constrained in how many vehi

——————-

(Ben LaBolt tweet)

25. 115 Liberal Librarian
    May 30, 2012 at 10:51 pm

• 124 vitaminlover
      May 30, 2012 at 11:13 pm

This is what’s real-it won’t matter who he picks ’cause he’s not qualified to be President. So if he picks Rubio that will make them the ‘unqualified duo’. There’s so much space in between Mitt’s ears, very little brain activity goin’ on up there. So in the end he can pick daffy duck ’cause whoever is his running mate well…they’re goin’ DOWN.

26. 125 prettyfoot58
    May 30, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Wondering if anyone is watching LODs program…

the REPUBs are trying to woo white women …republican women using an ad that calls the President of a guilty pleasure…saying that yes you were swayed by his pretty words but he did not deliver…so now it is time to come back to the sensible one….meaning Romney….according to polls….Romney has gained ground…

Karen Finny was one of the analysts on this segment…she referred to the President as a pint of chocolate that the women may have indulged in…

smh….that remark by Karen Finny offended me…it just did not rub me the right way….

the ad attempts to make white women feel guilty about their affection towards the President….

in addition…..

LODs rewrite is powerful….

many folks in the media have asked why is MItt Romney hanging around Trump….why is he not disavowing the birtherism of Trump….well O’Donnel answers it….

if you get a chance…plz view it…..

FORWARDDDDDDDDDDDDD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• 126 xtine
      May 30, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Just rewound. 1st segment: Willard: “He’s Not in it for You!” Please, Plouffe/Axelrod, use that line and videos! Don’t back down!

• 127 relellit
      May 30, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Good evening

How can you wonder why Mitt Romney “hanging around Trump or why is he not disavowing the birtherism of Trump”? Well, let me give my version: It’s M.O.N.E.Y.!!!

• 128 relellit
        May 31, 2012 at 12:11 am

prettyfoot58

I meant to say how could “anyone” wonder not you personally. I hope you were not offended by my typo. Willard will do anything to get that 50 plus1%. That includes taking tainted M.O.N.E.Y he wants from the “Sugar Daddies” who will give him M.O.N.E.Y. for Super pacs. It helps to keep those die-hard birther ignoramuses who don’t believe our President was not born here. Of course, it’s a ploy to keep from discussing his plans about J-O-B-S instead of Mitt’s tax returns.

We don’t need to see Mitt’s birth certificate. Mitt’s tax returns would define him quite well. Then again I don’t know. There are so many brainwashed people in that segment of society Mitt is sucking up to it probably wouldn’t matter.

Also, as I see it that segment of society are the same people who didn’t vote President Obama anyhow and probably won’t again. In essence Mitt gains nothing except keeping up distractions.

• 129 prettyfoot58
          May 31, 2012 at 7:35 am

no i was not offended….

but i would add another reason…2 million is not a lot for Romney whos is worth so much more….Trump’s role is to garner that racist vote that Trump stirs up so well…they can let Trump do it so that Romney does not have to do it….

27. May 30, 2012 at 10:59 pm

First lady Michelle Obama will campaign in Northern Virginia next week, according to President Barack Obama’s campaign officials.

It will be the first public campaign trip for Obama without her husband this election cycle.

Obama accompanied the president to Richmond earlier this month when he kicked off his reelection campaign.

In 2008, Barack Obama became the first Democratic presidential candidate to carry Virginia in 44 years, and most recent polls show him with a slight edge over Republican Mitt Romney to win Virginia’s 13 crucial electoral votes.

Washington Post-

28. May 30, 2012 at 11:13 pm

I see Jon Stewart is back to his vile self tonight—-guess the little bit of niceness shown Michelle was more than he could take—-he’s back with a vengeance and worse than ever tonight. Just put Obama and Willard in the same category—-called them both “numbnuts”. That was after starting the show showing PBO speaking and pausing for a second ——and Stewart acted like he was falling asleep from boredom and then said Obama looks like he’s pausing thinking of some other country where he’d rather be—–very strange and ugly to the max.

• 133 vitaminlover
      May 30, 2012 at 11:17 pm

What is Stewart’s problem? Does he have a wife? Girlfriend? Did someone break his heart. Seems so hostile and bitter.

• 134 donna dem 4 obama
      May 30, 2012 at 11:18 pm

I treat him just like I do FOX. I refuse to watch his show even if the First Lady and President are appearing. I refuse to give him even a sliver of ratings from my personal viewing. I wait for the video after the show airs. He disgusts me!!!

• 135 Walking_on_ Sunshine
      May 30, 2012 at 11:22 pm

I watched it last night because Michelle was on. Other than that I try to avoid him. I used to be a devoted viewer until he turned against the President. I do overhear parts of it because my husband watches in the next room. I saw the beginning of Steven Colbert’s show last night and he was great.

• 136 0388jojothecat
        May 30, 2012 at 11:57 pm

I watched because meta posted the video and I fast forwarded when jon was speaking. I can’t stand him anymore. I go to bed or watch the news then, Letterman, then Colbert if I stay up that late.

29. 137 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    May 30, 2012 at 11:16 pm

You’re rock’n the house, Chips!!!!

I’m sure these folk are terrified, I mean terrified by the daunting Racist Front of plutocrats Mitt & Trump …..

#PRESSON

May 30, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Hey, I like Latin, but I see where they are going with this … just not sure which of the three named is the real Mr. Potato(e) Head:

31. 142 anniebella
    May 30, 2012 at 11:22 pm

I watched Stewart last night because FLOTUS was up there, tonight and remaining nights, Jon Stewart can go straight to you know where.

32. 143 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    May 30, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Hopefully some of you will see my twitter TL, but for now it appears my comment is ‘awaiting moderation’ :) In any event, lots of folk received a missive urging them to view Chips’ latest bit of genius …

#PRESSON

33. May 30, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Ed Schultz- their is no downfall for the President going to Wisconsin.

Except you, Ed. The fucking media will make it the President against Walker.

It’s a Trap, on do many fronts. Ok Ed? Now tell your Producers to f*uck off!

• 145 relellit
      May 31, 2012 at 12:19 am

Ed just doesn’t get it. He still does not understand it gives fodder to the RWNJs. He should have had enough of this when he told people to stay home in 2010. Besides, he shouldn’t undermine our President because PBO is light years ahead of Ed in the critical thinking department.

I’m sure our President knows what he is doing whereas Ed doesn’t.

• 146 relellit
      May 31, 2012 at 12:26 am

Ed just can’t seem to get it. He should have had enough from when he told people to stay home in 2010. Besides, our President is light years again of Ed in the critical thinking department. I’m sure our President knows what he is doing whereas as Ed doesn’t.

I trust our President’s judgement. He has through so many times despite the obstructions.

34. May 30, 2012 at 11:30 pm

I never watch Ed Schultz, but decided to tune in to catch Crystal Ball and that Huntsman daughter. I really hope they get on soon, cause Ed gets on my last nerve, and I never put my last nerve n jeopardy. In other news, I got a call from OFA asking if I could travel to Wisc on Saturday to help mobilize voters. I’m not able to go there, but I did volunteer to phone bank on Monday and Wednesday.

35. May 30, 2012 at 11:35 pm

So the Willard campaign is convincing women that they had an exciting but silly little affair with Barack Obama and now it’s time to come home to their stable, solid husband Willard? Please don’t tell me there are women falling for that!

• 149 amk for obama
      May 30, 2012 at 11:45 pm

That’s a disgustingly sexist attack on women. They are going with that level of gutter politics ? Unbelievable.

• 150 COS
        May 30, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Lawrence had the nerve to show a poll showing Robney gaining ground with women. I do not believe that poll for one minute. the gain is probablydue to republican women finally supporting this vile human being.

• May 30, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Somebody ought to tell Robme that polygamy will not become legal here again, no matter how many ads he puts out to lure his mail order brides.

• 152 sabreen60
      May 30, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Here we go with “polls” again. It seems that the WaPo Poll shows the gap closing between PBO and Romney among women. I can’t believe Lawrence gave this ONE poll so much attention. Whomever the guest was said that Republicans are using this tactic (focused group) on women and it appears to be working.

• 154 COS
      May 30, 2012 at 11:54 pm

This poll has as much credibility as the gallup poll showing robney ahead with the military.

36. 155 xtine
    May 30, 2012 at 11:45 pm

LOD Rewrite. R’s are outsourcing racism via the bloviating ignoramus. Damn right! Outsourcing Racism.

37. May 30, 2012 at 11:47 pm

So I caught Abby Huntsman and she was speaking like a Repub with sense. She wasn’t PBO bashing and she thought Chump an idiot. She’s clearly a moderate Repub, but too bad, that dog won’t hunt with today’s Repub lot.

• May 30, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Her Dad said the President has failed on so many levels.
      Yeah, like hiring Huntsman as an Ambassador!

• May 30, 2012 at 11:55 pm

She didn’t say anything negative about PBO or Dems. She was trying to make sense out of what the Robme campaign could possibly be thinking. Of course she failed at coming up with anything logical, but she did not go all nutso, rabidly neo-con, teabaggin crazy.

• 160 57andfemale
      May 31, 2012 at 4:36 am

Huntsman is no moderate, the daughter or the father. They are saner than the party as it stand right now, but Huntsman’s record is pretty damned conservative. Just because theyre a tad less batshit crazy is no reason for praise, IMO.

• May 31, 2012 at 9:06 am

I happen not to find anything wrong with having a different ideology political or otherwise, as long as it doesn’t make a person batshit crazy. I can agree to disagree with a person, and I can give them kudos on their presentation, and have no guilt about it. I don’t see value in alienation.

38. May 30, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Colbert just had some great fun with Willard’s “Amersha” (Amercia). He sang a lovely new rendition of Amercia The Booteefull.

• 163 xtine
      May 31, 2012 at 12:04 am

OMG, he had me laughing so much on that Amercia anthem! And you’ve got to take off your shoes before singing it! Got to had that vid for the “Rise & Shine” tomorrow. What magic can you do, Chips?!

39. May 31, 2012 at 12:01 am

Attorney General  Eric Holder told a council of African American church leaders Wednesday that the “sacred” right to vote is under assault nationwide, with federal lawsuits and at least a dozen state laws that could hinder – or block – minorities’ access to the ballot box this fall.

“In my travels across this country, I’ve heard a consistent drumbeat of concern from citizens, who – often for the first time in their lives – now have reason to believe that we are failing to live up to one of our nation’s most noble ideals,” Holder said in a speech before the Council of Black Churches.  The threats of legal assaults and lingering discrimination, he added, means that “some of the achievements that defined the civil rights movement now hang in the balance.”

As if to underscore the point, however, a voting rights group is worried that Holder and the Justice Department aren’t acting quickly enough to stop Florida’s Republican governor from continuing a purge of registered voters from the state’s rolls because they lack proof of U.S. citizenship.

It’s all just a bad Dream…

• 165 xtine
      May 31, 2012 at 12:11 am

Jovie, you have to step back a little from these Holder stories, especially from Politico. He has been an effective AG, worked damn hard to clean up messes that were left behind, and he isn’t one to go around tooting his own horn. Please look at where the DOJ was and where it is now. Voting rights are not being ignored by DOJ. MSM is just not reporting what is actually being done.

Much love!

• 166 amk for obama
        May 31, 2012 at 12:25 am

Yup. When did gopolitico become a standard of reference here, jovie ?

• May 31, 2012 at 12:47 am

I am not only taking politico into account but also Rachels show.
          We have feelings down here in Florida and we are being fucked with!

• May 31, 2012 at 12:36 am

Your opinion. Did you see Rachels show? And btw- it is my opinion Guantanamo is Not closed because of Holders lack of political skills.
        He did the KSM thing, the New Yorkers went Crazy, scared everybody and as a result, took closinng Guantanamo off the table.

Yeah, I am pissed off!

• 169 prettyfoot58
          May 31, 2012 at 7:42 am

yanno…

i have grown so weary of the Holder bashing,,,folks are using ,the same adjectives to describe Holder as they have described President …he is lazy…he is over his head….he does not know what he is doing…

enough already….

• May 31, 2012 at 12:17 am

The Attorney on Rachels Show, said that the Justice Department has a right to Stop the purging in Florida. Using the voting rights Act, as they ate specifically purging Hispanics.
      So.., why NOT, then?
      I guess it’s up to the State and Activists to file law suits?

• 171 xtine
        May 31, 2012 at 12:38 am

If I have this right, before DOJ can go into any State, say FL, they have to have some filed complaint. I don’t know if I’m using the correct legalease. In other words, Eric Holder cannot order his civil rights dept. @ DOJ to go to FL unless somebody in FL communicates to them that there is voter fraud. There has to be a complainant. Do you know if anyone/entity in FL has done that? If so, and not just FL, it’s in the works. DOJ cannot discuss any cases that are in the works.

• 175 57andfemale
        May 31, 2012 at 4:22 am

We’re not popular right now, but I agree with you.

• 176 amk for obama
      May 31, 2012 at 12:20 am

WTF does the last graf even mean ? What underscore ? What point ? Fucking illiterates at gopolitico.

• May 31, 2012 at 12:41 am

Not the point, the fact is the Justice Department has every right to stop this, according to the attorney on Rachels show.
        So.., why not???

If you don’t know, just say so!

I think I will see if I can Suit the state of Florida.

It might be up to us Citizens, down here. A State that was given to America by the Spanish for Free.
        Seems like we could not give this State away now!
        I Feel so powerless!

• 178 xtine
          May 31, 2012 at 1:04 am

Jovie, right above you said that on Rachel’s show an attorney filed. So what’s the problem? Please see my response to yours above & your response.

• 179 xtine
        May 31, 2012 at 12:41 am

OK, amk, breathe! 1 2 3. You’re right, effing gopolico illeterates! Now I need to breathe! :)

• 180 xtine
          May 31, 2012 at 1:10 am

Shoot, meant to type “eliterates” but I’m kind of liking “illeterates” for them.

• May 31, 2012 at 2:08 am

Xtine, I am having a nice glass of white wine. Would you like me to get one for you? Anyway, I will finish the bottle off for both of us. Like you said, DOJ is doing its job. You are on point. Let us enjoy our wine and have a nice sleep. All is well. Thank you, Itine. HZ

40. May 31, 2012 at 12:04 am

I dropped in after Zumba and now these old bones are all salsa/mambo/shake-a-tail-feathered out. Time to trot this fox to bed for another great getting up day tomorrow. Cha, cha, cha all!

41. May 31, 2012 at 12:24 am

Hi Guys, please dont fall for this poll foolishness again. It will rise and fall as the weeks and months go by. Just today I read somewhere that the republicans have another Bill limiting Women’s rights which will pass as all the others have been so far. Women will not give up their freedom to do with their body as they will, not the younger women for sure and definately not older women like myself who are in their fifties. As a Jamaican Woman, I want to see some male members of our Parliament try to pass any laws like I have seen passed in America recently. Trust me there would be such a riot they would not be able to get enough security to protect them. Have faith ion your fellow Women and remember all the forces at work here. God Bless. Have a restful night.

42. May 31, 2012 at 12:33 am

Early morning hi if you’re still up, otherwise, afternoon all, you may have seen this, but you know whats going to happen in WI…new Leadership.

Tremendous Grassroots Support Fuels Momentum for Barrett: http://www.barrettforwisconsin.com/media/blog/2012-05-tremendous-grassroots-support-fuels-momentum-for-bar#.T8b0TyzKEfY.twitter

43. 191 Liberal Librarian
    May 31, 2012 at 12:49 am

When someone tries to equate Soros and unions with Koch Bros, I don’t even waste my time arguing: BLOCK.

• May 31, 2012 at 1:01 am

Especially seeing how Soros has only donated 3 million to outside super pacs.

Big deal.

I think we will rely more on Hollywood and Pro sports players!

• 193 theo67
      May 31, 2012 at 3:05 am

I see you’re getting very comfortable on twitter. Great! It’s addictive!

• 195 0388jojothecat
      May 31, 2012 at 1:25 am

What a sick bastard…….if the people in WI continue to vote for this guy, they should NOT blame the Dem or PBO, they should blame their fello Wisconsons.

• 196 theo67
        May 31, 2012 at 3:19 am

Personally, I think the President is staying away from Wisconsin because people need to feel this victory for themselves. They need to be empowered (plus, he’s got a country to run). It’s only when people start to see themselves as the captains of their fate, and understand the power they hold with their vote – then things will change. If they keep waiting for President Obama to do things, then if by some hookery and crookery Romney wins (heaven forbid), people will be doomed. They won’t have it in them to fight back and the GOP will kill the middle class.

President Obama went to Wisconsin. He begged people not to give the keys back – we have the video, including the one where he basically lost his voice. We all saw that the Democrats were silent in 2010, didn’t support the President, and allowed the tea party to take over.President Obama went to Florida. He begged people not to give the keys back. People supported the Republican Christ instead of the Democrat, because they were attracted to the shininess of Christ. People have to hold themselves accountable for the consequences of their vote or non-vote. If Walker wins, then it will say a lot about the caliber of the electorate, and their capacity to destroy themselves. And it will be a very bad day. And it wont’ be President Obama’s fault.

May 31, 2012 at 1:18 am

Good site for anything “Wisconsin”

45. 198 sabreen60
    May 31, 2012 at 1:22 am

46. 199 Bill R.
    May 31, 2012 at 1:28 am

Every reason to think positive friends, with a President like ours.

May 31, 2012 at 1:51 am

Cheers to JC Penney for standing up for the LGBT community so strongly. I’m not much of a shopper, especially a Penney’s shopper…but there must be SOMETHING I can buy there to support them:)

May 31, 2012 at 1:59 am

Obamacare includes a small business tax credit to help employers provide health insurance coverage. The issue, however, is that only 170,300 businesses out of a possible 4 million have applied for the credit because of the time-consuming application procedure. Now, the Obama administration is asking Congress to improve the process so that more small businesses apply for the credit.
    Republicans are opposing the request, even though it would lower taxes for small businesses. They’re seeking to repeal Obamacare, not change it. “I don’t think expanding it is going to make any difference whatsoever,” said Rep. Sam Graves (R-MO), who chairs the House Small Business Committee.
    But their runs against what GOP leaders proposed in 2009, during the debate over health care reform. Then-Minority Leader John Boehner (R-OH) had deputized Rep. Roy Blunt (R-MO) to lead the Health Care Solutions Group and shape the GOP alternative to the Democrats’ health care proposals. “Unlike the Democrats’ government takeover of health care, this common-sense plan keeps patients and doctors in charge of key medical decisions,” Boehner said of the plan. In it, Blunt’s group called for a small business tax credit to help employers offset the cost of providing health insurance:

• 206 theo67
      May 31, 2012 at 3:22 am

Didn’t Romney say yesterday that President Obama hated small businesses? Maybe Romney doesn’t know who President Obama is, and who the GOP are.

May 31, 2012 at 2:01 am

how on Earth to explain this??????/

ONE IN 189 HIGH INCOME AMERICANS PAYS NO FEDERAL INCOME TAXES | Republicans love to rail against those Americans who don’t pay any federal income tax due to the fact that they make too little money to even qualify for the lowest tax bracket. However, according to the latest data from the Internal Revenue Service, many Americans at the top of the income scale are also avoiding having any federal income tax bill. In fact, one in 189 Americans with an annual income of more than $200,000 had no federal income tax liability in 2009, the most recent year for which data is available.

May 31, 2012 at 2:06 am

Diane Hendricks, the richest woman in Wisconsin, had a state income tax bill of zero for 2010, state records show.

The goose egg in 2010 was the first zero obligation posted by the Beloit billionaire since at least 2002, according to records from the state Department of Revenue and ABC Supply Inc., the nation’s largest wholesale distributor of roofing, windows and siding and owned by Hendricks. She had a seven-figure Wisconsin tax bill in four of the previous five years, the records show.

Hendricks was thrust into the spotlight last month when a videotape showing her talking with Gov. Scott Walker about strategies to fight unions was released. In the tape, which is part of a documentary under production, Walker talked about using a “divide and conquer” strategy toward unions through his budget-adjustment bill, which curtailed most collective bar gaining for most public employee unions and created a political uproar that will culminate with Tuesday’s recall election.

An active financial supporter of conservative causes, Hendricks has given Walker’s campaign more than $500,000, making her Walker’s largest donor.

• May 31, 2012 at 2:13 am

Desertflower, thanks for your articles. You are such a wonderful informational committed dear one. I love that spirit about you. Thanks for all that you do. Have a restful evening.

Good Nite to Chips and all of my TOD family. Love you all very much.HZ

51. 211 xtine
    May 31, 2012 at 2:09 am

A thought just came to me. I’ve been wondering why the Rs/Rove (ooh, the’re all Rs! Yep!) have been trying to throw around this $1B figure. See, if you have access to that kind of money, why aren’t you throwing a bunch to your local Rs to at least keep their rent paid? So, it occurred to me that they’re “bloviating” and have nowhere near that amount. If they did, why is Willard kissing the orange hair & Leroy’s sugar daddy? They’re throwing out this $1B amount as a hail mary, trying to discourage voters, and make all of us worried. And they kept talking about their $1B before flooding certain markets with their ads, Way too early. Money will be gone by mid-August. So they need to play poker, showing that they’ve got the hand! When these guys are tooting their horns, then they have inky-winkys between the palms of their hands. R-Doods, haven’t you learned your lessons yet? Do not even try to play poker w/ POTUS! Shush, let’s not let them know we know their game. Let them blow it all by July 4th.

It’s been a fun evening. Thanks for the great TODer company. Gotta crash. Good night.

• 212 theo67
      May 31, 2012 at 3:23 am

Good insight!

• 213 jackiegrumbacher
      May 31, 2012 at 7:29 am

Xtine, you hit it in one. I think that’s exactly the strategy. They want Dems and PBO supporters to get fearful and discouraged. I felt that happening for a few minutes yesterday and I thought, Damn, they’re doing it again. Good for you for spelling it out.

May 31, 2012 at 2:10 am

Good news.

Nearly two-thirds of employers, many of them manufacturing companies, plan to hire people in the next six months, a new survey from Wisconsin Manufacturers & Commerce shows.

The 62% who said they plan to add employees is up from 53% a year ago and 44% last December, according to the survey of 182 companies.

Fifty-seven percent said they were having trouble hiring people, with most of those companies blaming it on a lack of qualified applicants.

“Most of the unemployed coming through our door don’t have the skills to get into the jobs we have available,” Mark Tyler, president of OEM Fabricators Inc., said in an interview.

Isn’t that what the President has said all along….people need the skills for these jobs….retraining. Jobs are out there!

• 215 xtine
      May 31, 2012 at 2:15 am

Wow, DF, you’re on fire! I’ll get back to your posts tomorrow. Gotta crash. Another day, another pushback! :)

May 31, 2012 at 2:29 am

Had a strange day with no internet:) I thought I would die. Just making up for lost time, I guess. Have to go to sleep soon…but I just keep reading and reading…..night,xtine. Tomorrow is another day:)

May 31, 2012 at 2:27 am

Retired Justice John Paul Stevens had harsh words for his former conservative colleagues Wednesday, saying they have inconsistently applied the law two years after a sweeping ruling dealing with campaign finance reform.
    That controversial decision, known as Citizens United, gave corporations — individuals, unions, businesses and advocacy groups — greater power to spend unlimited amounts of money to support or oppose federal election candidates. Stevens issued a bitter dissent in that case, months before stepping down from the high court after 35 years on the bench. He said Congress had long imposed reasonable limits on corporate spending as a way to curb the potentially corrupting influence by the wealthy, whose voices would be heard above those of others in the crowded political landscape.
    Stevens, at an evening speech at the University of Arkansas, said the five conservatives who gave corporations greater power in the name of free speech may now be rethinking, even regretting, their decision, based on related cases since that 2010 decision.

May 31, 2012 at 2:44 am

This should put that birther nonsense to rest…can someone Tweet this to Trumpster in the morning?

• 219 theo67
      May 31, 2012 at 3:32 am

Unless it changes President Obama’s skin from black to white – I don’t think it will make a lick of difference to the racists like Trump.

May 31, 2012 at 6:32 am

Campign’s new ad

• 221 amk for obama
      May 31, 2012 at 6:38 am

An excellent ad hitting his MA record vi MA’ians. And thankfully subdued background music. :)

• 222 Ladyhawke
      May 31, 2012 at 7:35 am

MITT ROMNEY EXPOSED

All we get from Mitt Romney is empty rhetoric. We are supposed to just take him at his word that his MBA is the answer to all of America’s problems. Meanwhile, he won’t talk about his time as governor of MA because his performance does not fit the narrative he wants to portray. He is a fake, phony and a fraud. This ad exposes Mitt Romney better than anything I have seen. It connects the dots beautifully.

What’s brilliant about the ad is that it uses Romney’s own pronouncements and interviews with MA officials to make the case. I can just image many Americans will see this ad and say “Gee, I didn’t know that?” I would love to see a million views on this ad. I hope it goes viral starting today.

May 31, 2012 at 7:00 am

• 224 jackiegrumbacher
      May 31, 2012 at 7:25 am

I would hate to not like to meet a person who is is very enthusiastic about Willard. I can understand how some Rs feel they have to hold their noses and vote for this coreless man, but to be enthusiastic about him? You have to be the blandest person in the world or filled with the most hate.

• May 31, 2012 at 7:41 am

I just heard a very important tidbit from Fuck Todd.
        He said, that the tea haggard basically want to defund NASA.
        That means the spacecoast vote, usually Republican, is up for grabs. The President can get a lot of votes out of Republicans over there.
        Somebody tweet that to axelrod fir me!

57. May 31, 2012 at 7:12 am

Jobs Numbers today. Cross fingers. I think it will be better than last month(150k+), with upward revisions of previous months. Possiblity of UE rate ticking down.
    Please God!

58. May 31, 2012 at 7:14 am

Hey Chips,
    GM signs Five year deal to sponsor Manchester United.
    Their You Go!

59. May 31, 2012 at 7:18 am

Oil is down to 87 bucks! Biggest monthly drop in three years.
    But but but Syria…

60. May 31, 2012 at 7:28 am

NBC Poll- Willard is tied in Iowa, NV and Colorado. Fuck Todd is all Happily reporting this poll. LOL!
    And Joe has Van Jones on, agreeing that the President is doomed.
    LOL!

• May 31, 2012 at 7:34 am

A tie??? He is tied in Iowa, up 2 in Colorado and up 4 in Nevada.
      How is that a tie?

• 233 LOL
        May 31, 2012 at 7:51 am

Jovie…the poll is heavily tilted towards the Repubs. The President leads with Indys in all three. Iowa (42-38) Colorado (50-39) and Nevada (48-38). Also has strong leads with women. If PBO is winning Indys and Dems, why are they tied? Because the media wants a horse race.

• May 31, 2012 at 7:56 am

I guess they cannot take the polls results as the truth, it must shock these pollsters that the President is ahead
          So, they shave, and shave and add to Republicans Id…

• May 31, 2012 at 8:13 am

Yes, Todd is just breathless running around reporting this poll where every battleground state is now miraculously tied. We are supposed to believe that everyone has all of a sudden fallen in love with Willard, have been seduced by his charismatic charms? And his reporting re. Iowa was disgusting—–’the state that knows PBO the best is now the most disillusioned’ etc. What a bunch of bs. Obama has had a substantial lead there in every poll I’ve seen—around 7 or 8 points—–and overnight—–everyone has become disillusioned? I don’t believe any of this, not one bit.

• 236 globalcitizenlinda
      May 31, 2012 at 7:52 am

the MSM have a theme and they are sticking to it – no surprise here

May 31, 2012 at 7:39 am

• May 31, 2012 at 7:46 am

Axelrod Is having a presser today, slamming Mitts record as Governor.
      But…

• May 31, 2012 at 7:51 am

It is the latest step in a multi-stage assault that will continue with a press conference with David Axelrod Thursday on the steps of the Massachusetts State House.

Nice!

• 240 globalcitizenlinda
      May 31, 2012 at 7:56 am

we have to make the issue of billionaires buying this election a central issue of the campaign. citizens united has to be central to getting people to vote against this nonsense

62. 241 Linda
    May 31, 2012 at 7:55 am

Morning

The Wisconsin Light Brigade nailed Walker last night.

63. 242 Mae who love our CIC
    May 31, 2012 at 8:09 am

Good morning Toders

Just wanting to say it has been a mind rendering experience this week. Voter suppression across the states especially here in Florida. Floridians voted in Rick Scott and we knew that he had criminal tendencies and yet we want to blame Eric Holder for our lack of being able to see his enforcement of legal actions. We have to bring legal action in order for him to step in.

Another thing, Wisconsinites voted for their criminal but next Tuesday they will vote him out. Hats off to them. I just don’t believe that they have done the hard work of collecting over a million signatures to recall Scott Walker and not follow through to vote him out. We know that President Obama is a stimulator but Wisconsinites can do this without his presence. This will make the victory sweeter, knowing that you can encourage yourselves.

Think about this, the Repubs thinks that President Obama is a billion dollar opponent, therefore they think that this amount of money is necessary for his defeat. They are really afraid. They will spend it and we will be victorious anyways.

• May 31, 2012 at 8:17 am

One point- law suits are civil actions not criminal.
      If somebody violates a criminal law, he should be arrested, without filing a brief.
      Again, filing a brief is for civil actions.
      Clearly, Governor Scott has over reached on the voting rights act by disenfranchising Hispanics.
      This is all true, what I am telling you…

• 244 Mae who love our CIC
        May 31, 2012 at 8:24 am

Your point about law suits being civil actions?
        Criminal tendencies is behavioral.

64. May 31, 2012 at 8:12 am

Unless the President has paid Surrogates, these Guys on tv are disappointing-

I saw that interview, and it was disappointing! Oh well, same day…

RSS OFA