May

Rise and Shine

Jonathan Capehart: There was a great story in The Post yesterday that was nothing but good news for the American consumer. “Gas prices expected to fall further heading into summer” read the headline. Truth be told, the story isn’t new. Dropping pump prices have been reported on for about a month now.

Yet, what interested me most was the chart that accompanied yesterday’s story. It depicts the daily average price for regular gas over the last year, from May 2011 through May 2012. Were it a noise meter, it would also chart the volume of Republican hysteria over rising gas prices.

….. the national average gas price, which peaked at $3.91 in early April, was down to $3.64 on Memorial Day. That’s 17 cents cheaper than a year ago.

According to Politico, Republicans are still going to target the president on gas prices. But with fuel costs expected to continue their downward slide, the GOP can expect its credibility on this issue to follow suit.

Full post here

Richard Adams (The Guardian): ….Last night – under the cover of darkness – the Mitt Romney campaign published what it claims to be a birth certificate for “Willard Mitt bin Romney”.

As we can plainly see, this is obviously a forgery, and Donald Trump and Sheriff Joe Arpaio need to get right on it. Here are the five key signs:

1. This is clearly not a birth certificate at all. It’s something called a “Certificate of Live Birth” – which suggests the obvious question: where is the birth certificate?

2. This is only the “short form” of the certificate and that is plainly inadequate. Why won’t Mitt Romney publish his “long form” birth certificate? What does he have to hide?

3. Notice that the “date of birth” is listed as March 12, 1947 – but the so-called “certificate” was filed on March 17, 1947. How can Mitt Romney explain this mysterious five day gap during which time he may (or may not) have been smuggled in from Canada? – the foreign country bordering on Michigan.

4. Using my computer I note that this “certificate” image is labeled: “Adobe Photoshop JPEG file”. Clear signs of a forgery?

5. “Father’s birthplace: Mexico”. Come on, do I have to paint you a picture for this one?

To be clear, none of these obvious errors, omissions and forgery are evidence that Mitt Romney was born abroad and has engaged in a decades-long conspiracy to conceal his foreign birth – we are merely asking questions. And putting words in italics for sinister effect. That’s all. Over to you, Donald.

:lol:

Richard Adams’ Election 2012 blog here

LA Times: President Obama ruffled some feathers two years ago when he lambasted the Supreme Court for its Citizens United decision during a State of the Union speech. It was unusual for a president to criticize the justices as they sat before him.

Now, retired Justice John Paul Stevens has taken the equally unusual step of saying the president was right in challenging the court’s opinion.

Obama said the 5-4 ruling freeing corporations to spend unlimited sums on elections “reversed a century of law,” adding it would “open the floodgates for special interests — including foreign corporations — to spend without limit in our elections.”

“In that succinct comment, the former professor of constitutional law at the University of Chicago made three important and accurate observations about the Supreme Court majority’s opinion,” Stevens said in a speech Wednesday evening. “First, it did reverse a century of law; second, it did authorize unlimited election-related expenditures by America’s most powerful interests; and, third, the logic of the opinion extends to money spent by foreign entities.”

More here

On CNN’s live streaming schedule for today:

11:30: President Obama’s re-election campaign communications director, David Axelrod, speaks with reporters in Boston.

1:25: Bush official White House portrait revealed

10:00: Wisconsin gubernatorial debate – Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and Democratic opponent Tom Barrett debate ahead of next month’s recall election.

Morning everyone

145 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

May 31, 2012 at 8:11 am

GM folks. That’s two GM’s in a row. :)

For your early morning viewing pleasure.

May 31, 2012 at 9:53 am

Great video about Romney record as Governor. This is a Obama ad and what states will it be shown in?

2. 9 onefourlife
    May 31, 2012 at 8:12 am

Good Morning TOD,
    I thought if I were first then I would be able to get more of you to respond to my request. I am trying to impress you all. : ) I am trying to break out of this silence and isolation that I have been in for the past seven years. It is not as simple as changing my technique in my job search or making my resume better. I am seeking input here because of the lively conversations I have followed over the past two years. I am going to repost from yesterday’s thread and hope to hear from some of you. Thank you chips for giving me the confidence to post on this public site. I have typed my post correctly but once I push the submit button it changes. Any help on how to maintain the same alignment with my Microsoft document would be useful for future post and less embarrassment. There is a breeze blowing fresh air. This is a great site and I am seeking advice from you all. My last potential job encounter was in the most liberal city in Texas. I was referred, after meeting a person on the community tennis court, to a well known therapist that was highly regarded by her peers. During our meeting the therapist spoke of plenty of opportunities in Austin due to the high demand and short supply of professionals in the helping profession. I left the meeting with high hopes of finding employment with any company that would give me an interview. To keep the dilemma short and 2 months later after not getting a single interview, I moved to Greensboro, NC to seek employment. I spent over 4 years to no avail sending resumes for positions that I was qualified and overqualified for without one single interview. I did work with the Census for two terms. So, now I am reaching out for help. I have one class left to finish my license professional counselor’s degree with my practicum still to complete. I have a degree in biology with a long work history of good standing in clerical, a lab technician, volunteering, case management, district director and various other jobs. For the past twenty years I have been told to take any job and things will work out. Now, I have a huge student loan and still unemployed. Any advice on how I can get back to work. Thank you Chips for allowing me to post here.

• 10 sherijr
      May 31, 2012 at 8:33 am

good morning all… good morning onefourlife… I commend you on breaking out of your silence, well done & happy to have your voice added to our Chips wonderful site. I can offer no advice or suggestions on your job search.. only wish you well and let you know I’m sending all good vibes your way.

There are an abundance of jobs here in ND.. although I’m sure relocating would be very hard.. and coming here offers its own set of problems as their is little to no housing available. Just keep networking.. is the only thing I know of- in terms of job hunting.

• 19 LOL
      May 31, 2012 at 8:45 am

Hey onefourlife, have you tried getting a job with the government? Try USAJobs.gov. They have an abundance of jobs in the biology field as well jobs for therapists. I just did a search for therapist and found 200+ jobs. These are high paying jobs and mostly are working for the VA, which can offer you fairly decent places to live. I’ve known many people that have gotten jobs by applying through usajobs.gov.

May 31, 2012 at 10:52 am

Good thought, LOL. I made that suggestion yesterday. Good luck to you, oneforlife. I think that you should check this out:) I also mentioned checking professional magazines and journals in your area of expertise. Couldn’t hurt. Linked In. Network. Network. Network. Not what you know, but WHO you know!

• 21 onefourlife
          May 31, 2012 at 11:54 am

Hi desertflower,

I am on linkedin. Your advice was well received. I will tell you a quick story on one of my experiences throughout this horrible phase of my life. I networked with an agency that I wanted to work for and got the opportunity to meet with the Executive Director of the facility. We had a great meeting ending in her telling me that I could come to work at her location. She gave me the hiring manager’s name and set up an appointment with her. The second interview went well. She told me that she needed to leave the office for a couple of weeks due to her daughter having a baby and what I needed to do to move my employment process forward. I followed her directions to the tee and two weeks went by I contacted the facility again. A new person spoke to me on the phone telling me the position was not available and I was unable to reach either person that I had spoken to before. This is a similar story of my networking and the reason why I moved from Amarillo to Austin and now in NC. I do thank you and LOL.

• 22 onefourlife
        May 31, 2012 at 11:52 am

Thank you LOL! That is a part of my moving from Texas was to be able to get into a larger job pool that would potentially open up more possibilities. My last supervisor in Texas told me that I would not work in Texas and he was right. Then after a year passed, I contacted him again due to no interviews. He then told me he was sorry and he could not remember giving me a bad reference. I was dumbfounded at his earlier remarks due to I have letters of his constituents thanking me for giving them special care in resolving their problems. The rabbit hole gets deeper but I will keep it simple. Thank you again

• 23 jackiegrumbacher
      May 31, 2012 at 9:08 am

Onefourlife, I don’t think sending out resumes really works. Go to meetings where you’re likely to meet people in your own field and start networking. In fact, if you join any kind of group and talk to people, you’ll gain confidence and hear about positions that might be opening up before they’re actually posted. Then you can get in on the ground floor. Tell yourself each morning that you can do it, that you have a lot to contribute and that you are worth hiring and you will be in a better position to reach out to potential employers. You WILL get a job and it will lead to better and better things for you. Know that in your heart and start going out and reaching out. Even joining a church group or a conservation group is a good start. Good luck. And please keep us posted.

• 24 onefourlife
        May 31, 2012 at 11:57 am

Hi Jackie,
        I agree. I have posted one story of my networking to desertflower. Now, I will tell you my last networking experience before I left Austin. I meet a dear lady at a meeting that I was invited to. She told me that she would contact a city leader who could give me insight to finding employment and having the ability to refer me to a agency for work. After back and forth for a few weeks she would put me off and finally the job came down to working on a campaign for two days before the local elections that lead to nowhere and very little money. I do thank you for the positive affirmations because I am getting a little tired of the rejection. I was a church member for over 30 years and it has left me seeking online and praying at home. Not knocking anything but I really tried that from a few angles. I will try the conservation idea. There are more things that are strange in my life that boogle my mind. I will regroup and continue to believe that there is purpose in my life. Thank you

• May 31, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Since you seem proficient on the computer and internet – you may try posting your resume on LinkedIn.com, and also use Glassdoor.com to check out companies. Both are good vehicles for networking and finding jobs. I’ve also found that working with an agency helps you tap hidden job openings, and shares the load of keeping up with new offerings, rather than trying to do it all yourself.

Good luck!

3. 26 onefourlife
    May 31, 2012 at 8:13 am

I tried !!

4. 27 Suzette
    May 31, 2012 at 8:13 am

Good morning all.

5. 28 xtine
    May 31, 2012 at 8:16 am

Good morning

6. May 31, 2012 at 8:18 am

Good morning early birds. Make the most of this day, I will.

May 31, 2012 at 8:20 am

• May 31, 2012 at 8:32 am

Exactly. I was thinking last night about Plouffe being quoted as saying how worried he is about the large amount the billion dollar figure that was being discussed in the news yesterday. Then there was John Heilman (Game Change Snake) talking about how he was in Chicago and campaign told him this and that. If people think the campaign is nuts enough to show its hand to people they know are all aiming to see PBO lose, they’ve learned nothing about President Barack Hussein Obama and his crew.

I am under no delusion that the money being thrown in here is a hinderance, but I am very confident that OFA, and the president’s team are engaing in ways to help blunt this nonsense.

Scarborough and his mouth pieces are clueless about the machinations of the hurt in the country. They try to craft narratives that they hope will take hold.

But we will differently not sit by and let them push their nonsense. I don’t watch MorningJoke, but I will be on twitter and here everyday that I can pushing back at these ugly people.

• 32 jackiegrumbacher
        May 31, 2012 at 9:02 am

Africa, the campaign told him nothing. That is not how the Obama team operates. Plouffe is just about the smartest campaign strategist in the world and IF he said anything remotely like the quote, he had a purpose for doing so. These people are dreaming if they think they can bamboozle the Obama Reelection Team.

• 33 Debz
          May 31, 2012 at 10:48 am

I agree jackie, Plouffe is the smartest strategist. It wouldn’t surprise me if he did make that statement to the media to give them something to talk about, while doing the actual work under the radar. Just like the last election, the media ignored the campaign’s ground game, they are doing it again. All of the campaign people seemed to be too talkative in the Heilman article, this was planned by Plouffe for a reason.

• 34 0388jojothecat
        May 31, 2012 at 9:55 am

Remember a few months ago the msm was “horrified” that the Obama campaign “said” they would raise $1 billion? This is a smoke screen that the GOP will actually spend that much on such a weak candidate as Robme. I would think that they want Robme to spend some of his money and why shouldn’t he?

May 31, 2012 at 8:21 am

A very, very Happy Thursday morning to Ms Chips, Africa x2, my cranky partner, Amk, and the rest of the gang! Today will be another beautiful day….I can feel it in my bones! They’re not aching. ;)

9. 38 ChristiMTL
    May 31, 2012 at 8:23 am

Morning Chips and TODers.

Oh my, watching the video ”broken promises”…….same same same……”I know how to create jobs, I worked in the private sector for 25 years.”

No wonder he doesn’t talk about his record as governor

10. May 31, 2012 at 8:26 am

But but but Syria, skewed Battleground polls, lousy Surrogates, Obama needs to get to Wisconsin, the Veterans adore Robney, amongst all groups Robney now leading yet The President is ahead In all but 3 polls out of 23, lean Bain alone and…

All in one week, and we still have 2 days to go. Jeesh!

11. May 31, 2012 at 8:27 am

Some outfit called New American Agenda is airing false ad about ACA in my town. These people are crazy. They are aiming it at seniors, telling them they will lose their health care. Rove’s ugliness.

I

• May 31, 2012 at 8:42 am

They’re going to spend a billion!!!!!——flooding the airwaves with these dark, dirty and dishonest ads. We will see if billionaires can buy the election and the country, if enough voters can be fooled. I’m hoping that we still have more smart and aware people than gullibles and haters. I hope the basic decency that PBO often references still exists within the majority.

• May 31, 2012 at 8:54 am

AfricanTimes2
      Report it to Attack watch.

• May 31, 2012 at 8:56 am

AfricaTimes2
      Report it to Attack watch

12. 45 Linda
    May 31, 2012 at 8:30 am

I thought Deval Patrick was a Democrat….

• 46 ChristiMTL
      May 31, 2012 at 8:31 am

Oh uh…I’m afraid to ask

• 47 Linda
        May 31, 2012 at 8:33 am

Sticking up for Bain on Morning Junk….

• 48 ChristiMTL
          May 31, 2012 at 8:37 am

It’s quite annoying that it always comes to this…..they know the President is not attacking Bain….. it’s questioning Romney’s claim as a ”job creator” that is the focus.

Although it does highlight what vulture capitalism is and it’s pretty heartless…..even if it’s legal.

• May 31, 2012 at 8:48 am

He was another disappointing spokesperson. MJ crew easily tripped him up on Willard’s record in Ma.

• 50 Linda
            May 31, 2012 at 8:57 am

Mika told a sappy story about how she went to California a couple years ago to go riding with Ann Romney and what a wonderful woman she is. Click.

May 31, 2012 at 9:32 am

Consider that I don’t think very much of Mika, her endorsement of Ann Romney means NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!

13. May 31, 2012 at 8:36 am

Now I get why I get why Chuck Toad, as he was running around breathlessly reporting his latest poll showing that overnight every battleground state is miraculously tied, was talking about Iowa as the state that knows Obama best—-wouldn’t that be Illinois, by the way?—–and that Iowa has become disillusioned and thus the poll tightening there. It’s because Axelrod was on the same shows mentioning that in Ma., the state that knows Willard the best, the state where he was gov., Obama has a 25 point lead and that no one has ever won the presidency while losing his home state.

• 53 LOL
      May 31, 2012 at 8:48 am

Sorry for the saltiness..but Bullshit bullshit bullishit …As I mentioned in the last polls, ALL of the states have the prez winning Indys and Dems, but somehow he is still tied? Hmmm…I smellz BS.

• May 31, 2012 at 8:55 am

Yet, in that same poll, the President has a decent lead amongst Women, and Independents.
      So, overpolling Republicans, who are not enthused about Willard, will get you that result!

• 55 Linda
      May 31, 2012 at 9:05 am

Chuck ” I have unique access to the President ” Toad.

His commercial is laughable…….

His ” unique access ” is to the basement of the White House where the Daily Press briefing is conducted.

14. 56 Pamela
    May 31, 2012 at 8:42 am

First! good morning! :)

15. May 31, 2012 at 8:47 am

Bugger:

Steve Benen: After a month-long respite, initial unemployment claims are again moving in the wrong direction. Today’s report from the Department of Labor was a discouraging one:

Last week’s figures were revised up slightly, and the new totals unfortunately reached a five-week high, in spite of expectations to the contrary.

The number of Americans who filed requests for jobless benefits climbed by 10,000 last week to 383,000, the highest level in five weeks, the U.S. Labor Department said Thursday. Claims from two weeks ago were revised up to 373,000 from 370,000. Economists surveyed by MarketWatch had projected claims would fall to a seasonally adjusted 370,000 in the week ended May 26. The average of new claims over the past four weeks, meanwhile, rose by 3,750 to 374,500.

It’s worth emphasizing that week-to-week results can vary widely, and it’s best not to read too much significance into any one report. That said, today’s figures, a day in advance of the new monthly job totals, are certainly disappointing.

• 58 ChristiMTL
      May 31, 2012 at 8:53 am

Well we know what is coming……there will be no mention of the insane obstruction by the RW in Congress who have only one goal, destroy the economy to regain power…..and no mention as well of what’s going on on the states level by the RW governors.

We saw that scenario over and over again.

• May 31, 2012 at 9:00 am

And The President is really going to have to work to win this.
        It’s not going to be a blowout, like many on this blog keep predicting
        1 reason is- people have Memory lapses.
        Another is Koch Money flowing…
        And finally, GDP is now 1.9%. We need another stimulus, or get rid of all regulations. Which is very risky!

• 60 terim
          May 31, 2012 at 9:20 am

You’re right. I hope everyone will donate whatever they can. The Koch brothers & Romney’s billionaires friends are giving their all to defeat President Obama & reclaim the Country for the rich.

May 31, 2012 at 9:39 am

Jovie I never said it was going to be a blowout. I listen to the President when he say this will be a close race, I remember the First Lady saying the exact same thing. So we have to work like we are behind or tied. But this is exactly what the Republicans want, they want the economy to be bad, that’s why they haven’t done a darn thing to try to improve the economy.

• 62 0388jojothecat
            May 31, 2012 at 9:50 am

We need to do what we did last year….the President is working double duty, running this country and the head of the Democratic party. The party is working hard, I know because I get calls every day begging for money, letters begging for money, and we have a few who need to get money from their big wall street donors so if we want to regain the house and keep the senate, give them a break…let them talk out of both sides of their mouths. When we win they will do what is right because we have President Obama and hopefully a senate who will change the rules come 2013 to not let the GOP filirbuster and hold up progress.

Everyone take a breath, look to President Obama and Michelle for calm, listen to them, repeat it to your family, friends, neighbors, etc., volunteer.

• 63 Debz
          May 31, 2012 at 10:52 am

The President is doing what he is supposed to do. WE are the ones who need to “work to win this”

• 64 theo67
      May 31, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I’m still confused by those who think that a bad economy will somehow be made better by electing Romney (plus Grover Norquist, ALEC, Karl Rove) and the same failed Republican policies that got the world into the current mess. Given that Romney has his sights on war, is in bed with Netanyahu and Sheldon Adelson to make war happen, and is planning a steep decline in tax revenue by offering up a massive tax cuts to the rich – paid for by cutting essential social programs and borrowing trillions – how can anyone think that Mitt is the answer to a slowly recovering economy? I’m astounded.

16. May 31, 2012 at 8:57 am

“slowly”?

17. 68 lisalovesobama
    May 31, 2012 at 9:01 am

I stopped watching political jib jab last night. From now till Nov 6th, I’m on a break. I’ve had it with the horse race meme. I’ve had it with the breathless ups and downs in poll reporting. I’m going into partial political hibernation.I can feel my back teeth grinding every time someone mentions a miraculous poll showing Willard ahead with women, blacks, the LGBT or what-the-frack-ev. So the only place I’ll be visiting is this site and if I run across any poll reporting or hee-hawing about what he said she said about PBO being doomed, I’ll just skip over that comment and move on to the next. I’m so over the Joseph Goebbels wannabes who have infiltrated the so called 4th estate and the bitches who give them a platform. I’m also over so called surrogates who can’t get their shits together. So adieu political punditry, farewell so called spin masters, and frack off dumbass surrogates.

• 69 jackiegrumbacher
      May 31, 2012 at 9:11 am

Wise decision, Lisa. I have followed that practice for a long time. Helps the blood pressure.

• May 31, 2012 at 9:12 am

Me too! As a resident of Iowa (one of those “battleground states”) – I’m already SICK of the constant negative ads from Rove – my remote control is going to break before November or else we are only watching HGTV, ESPN, and/or SciFi until then. It’s only June – can’t we enjoy summer and the Olympics without all this negativity? It all just makes me feel depressed, so I’m going to not let it in my life. Except for this site – it makes me smile lots.

• 71 0388jojothecat
        May 31, 2012 at 9:17 am

I am with you. Thank goodness for Cable. It’s worth the price of not having to see any political ads if I don’t want to watch them. Yes, I will watch HGTV and the Food Network from now until November 6th.

• 72 globalcitizenlinda
        May 31, 2012 at 7:08 pm

same as ohio

• May 31, 2012 at 9:17 am

LOL! Now that’s the Spirit!

• 74 PoliticalJunkessa
      May 31, 2012 at 11:00 am

Good for you! I watch very few shows (one or two), and even take a break/boycott from those regularly. I am amazed when I see people constantly regurgitating Morning Joke or Meet the Press, or any obviously biased reporting. Not only does it agitate the viewer, but it adds to the ratings of those shows. Lose-lose in my book.

I can assure you, you will be much calmer and optimistic as a result of your decision. :-P

• May 31, 2012 at 11:01 am

Thank you! Well said Lisalovesobama.

• 76 Lightfoot
      May 31, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Ditto, Lisalovesobama. You’re spot on. It is really important to tune out (or not at all if one sees fit) from time-to-time, away from the clanging cymbals and all of the loud noise being brought to us purposely via tee-vee with its screeching howls of “fight, fight, fight” / “disharmony, discomfort, dis – ease!”
      All that is necessary for our brainwaves to pick up these signals are the tones, including the manner in which the presenter/reporter chooses to present the information to us. The background “music”, the colors, the lighting, the angles of the picture(s), the multiple flashes of lights that are indistinguishable to our eyes but not to our brains… and so on. This is not theory but a long ago scientifically tried and proven phenomenon. It is the exact method that is used television advertisers! Certain areas of our brains are intensely targeted within a few seconds, but as they are aware that is all they need to bombard our psyche!

18. May 31, 2012 at 9:09 am

Sorry for the OT, but I am sick of all our food items being “chemically engineered”—–and I liked Tropicana OJ. 20 lawsuits filed against Tropicana charging that they add chemically engineered “flavor packs” to their oj and do not have the right to label their oj “natural”.

19. 78 globalcitizenlinda
    May 31, 2012 at 9:12 am

please calm down! we know this is going to be a tough fight but one which we will win. in the meantime, they will play with our minds and morale to get us panicky and de-moralized

this is my question to my self everyday: how is what am I doing or saying going to get PBO re-elected?????

• May 31, 2012 at 9:20 am

Well, I registered Voters in Clearwater, Fl yesterday! Got 3! we take shifts everyday, to combat Rick Scott and His Purging nonsense.
      In the end, it will probably be a wash…

• May 31, 2012 at 9:33 am

I hope everyone feels motivated to join OFA and volunteer. This is not just up to PBO and his team. It’s definitely not just up to the media, one of the worst failures in our nation. Each one of us can make a difference.

And remember this: August is always, always, always a brutal month for politics. You will hear the most outrageous noise coming from every TV and radio network out there. Be ready for it and remember, it’s going to get worse. Because of the possibility of several Supreme Court appointments, it’s going to get dirty and bloody. The only thing that will save your sanity is to volunteer. When you’re on the ground, it’s such a boost to your spirit because that is where you can be most effective by talking to people who matter. Hang in there, everyone. We are better together.

• 82 0388jojothecat
        May 31, 2012 at 9:42 am

Agreed meta. I don’t look forward to August since that is the GOP Convention, unless of course Ron Paul’s zoombies start eating the teabagger’s faces, then maybe I’ll watch. I do however, contribute what I can and volunteer, hold phone banks, and do whatever I can to make sure we re-elect PBO, regain the house, and keep control of the senate.

The millionaires and billionaires what to keep their tax cuts and their loopholes. They want to punish the 1% and will not stop until we are all serfs.

20. May 31, 2012 at 9:26 am

Late June, the President should start to Campaign heavily!

21. May 31, 2012 at 9:28 am

Top of the morning O’s!!! Off to renew my driver’s license on this dreary, but great getting up day in Toddie town. Gotta do the vision thing before my birthday. Do they let you use magnifying glasses? Actually, I can see pretty good, if I tilt my head about 45 degrees to the left, squench my right eye, open my mouth, while rolling my left eyeball towards the ceiling. Wish me luck!

My political take for today: Stop setting your hair on fire! This race will come down to 5-6 states and the independents who live in them. The math is there, both campaigns know it, and PBO’s campaign have the internals that we don’t have. He has the best team in place to get us over the finish line. Our role is to contribute financially, help with GOTV efforts (especially downstream candidates), and keep up our social networking to spread the word. Chuck Todd and the rest are not worth the heartburn and ulcer inducing reaction. They do their job quite well. That is to keep controversy going, make it a close horse race, and bring in the eyeballs to convince their advertisers, that they deserve the sponsorship and big bucks.

• 85 0388jojothecat
      May 31, 2012 at 9:36 am

Good luck today cookemom and good words of wisdom for sanity for the next six months.

May 31, 2012 at 9:33 am

Just a little validation of MY resolve never to question whatever decision the President makes. Not that I needed any more validation, but I feel puffed up with pride whenever I get one – as in, aren’t **I** smart to have chosen to support this genius of a president!

/…..

“In that succinct comment, the former professor of constitutional law at the University of Chicago made three IMPORTANT AND ACCURATE OBSERVATIONS about the Supreme Court majority’s opinion,” Stevens said
    …./

Basically, no decision this Pres. makes will ever not be the right one in my mind/eyes. The way I see it, his response would have been the best decision given the circumstances, the info at his disposal, and his formidable knowledge and intelligence, which always ‘awe’ me. Should any of PBO’s decision not produce a favourable result, I’ll always do what you guys do here when I fall short of first place. I’ll hug him, pat him on the back, and say ‘Hard luck, Mr. P, go try again!’ In my moments of ‘failure’ none of you have ever told me what I SHOULD HAVE DONE differently to ensure my arrival first. THANKS! :lol: :lol:

• 87 theo67
      May 31, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Excellent strategy – especially considering that he’s usually the smartest one in the room, or the guy with the coolest nerves or the good sense to hire the smartest guy in the room. The rest of the critics are mostly cowards, dunderheads or conniving some horrible agenda.

23. May 31, 2012 at 9:39 am

President Obama’s campaign team and top supporters are telling donors they need to get off the sidelines now so they can compete with GOP super-PACS waging an expected $1 billion campaign against them.

The deluge of cash from outside groups backing Republican Mitt Romney has prompted a sense of urgency among Obama’s supporters. Their message to donors is simple: send money now.

Ask Hollywood? Ask pro sports players?

May 31, 2012 at 9:48 am

Why are the top supporters sitting on the side line? Do they want President Obama to win or what? Jovie I went to the Hill the other day and most of the comments were negative comments, is the Hill some right wing blog or what?

• May 31, 2012 at 9:52 am

yep…don’t know why it’s used as a source of anything positive for our team. It’s like Politico, it’s run by right wing supporters. We don’t know who has given what to the campaign and neither does The Hill. Remember, money don’t vote, people do.

• May 31, 2012 at 10:02 am

That is bullshit. The hill is the most informative website out there and it informs on What the Government us doing! Hence, the reason it is infested with Trolls.
          Grow up and stop reading the comments section.
          Seriously!

• May 31, 2012 at 10:13 am

Deep breath Jovie. I rarely look at The Hill, so I’m in no position to comment on its slant – all I do know is that it’s edited by Hugo Gurdon, a former editor at right wing British rag The Daily Telegraph (the paper that specialises in smearing Michelle Obama). Trust me, you don’t become an editor at the Telegraph unless you’re a bone fide right-winger, so that The Hill chose this guy as their editor-in-chief is, to me, revealing. Always check the background of the people who run these sites/papers ;-)

PS Is Dick Morris still a columnist there??

Another PS: To balance things …. Andrew Stein, the son of the owner of The Hill (Jerry Finkelstein), was, of course a NY Democrat. True, he was “indicted and arrested for lying about his involvement during the investigation of the multi-million dollar Ponzi scheme involving Ken Starr and was sentenced to 500 hours of community service”, and he dated Ann Coulter …. but still, he was a Democrat :???:

• May 31, 2012 at 10:18 am

I learn the mist from this website, Karen Finney writes for the Hill.
              The trolls are all over that website fit a reason, it is therefore-illogical to assume it a rightwing rag!

• May 31, 2012 at 10:24 am

Btw the premise of the story has been hijacked.
              It is no secret that democratic donors are on the sideline.
              Just compare priorities USA finding with Crossroads.
              Bill Burton even admits it.
              Anyways…
              It gets lost with one sentence about comments from Trolls!

May 31, 2012 at 11:12 am

I know that most of the comment at the Hill were anti-Obama, really anti-Obama, so much I quit reading them and don’t plan on going there anymore. They remind me of Huff Puff.

May 31, 2012 at 11:41 am

Jovie, no need to have a fit, I didn’t tell you to grow up and stop reading the articles at the Hill. One thing I have learn these people who make those comments would not be there if they were reading positive things about President Obama.

• May 31, 2012 at 11:52 am

this is not a question of my maturity Jovie. This is my factual response to who runs the hill, based on my own efforts to find out who runs the hill. I don’t know if you took that step or not. I do that anytime something doesn’t pass my smell test. I don’t just read something from any source and take it for fact. I don’t pass along to others anything that I myself don’t have an assurance that what I say is factual. The grow up comment? hmmmm…..now that sounds real adult-like.

24. 100 Ladyhawke
    May 31, 2012 at 9:43 am

Mitt Romney’s Ads: Still Wrong on the Stimulus

By Michael Grunwald

———————————

I’ve been on leave writing a book about the stimulus, so I’ve let others judge the Pants-on-Fire ads and Four-Pinocchio attacks and Solyndra-related nonsense that Republicans have been peddling about the stimulus. It’s certainly created jobs for fact-checkers. But now that I’m back, I suppose it’s my duty to weigh in on Mitt Romney’s new stimulus-bashing ad–apparently part of a new stimulus-bashing campaign–because it’s not just a rehash of the same old bogus charges. It’s added a brand new bogus charge that perfectly captures the up-is-down stimulus debate.

Most of the ad is typical schadenfreude about Solyndra, along with three other stimulus-funded clean-energy companies that have run into problems. For the umpteenth time: Some of these companies will fail. That’s capitalism. That’s lending. That’s life. As one Obama aide told me: Some students who get Pell grants are going to end up drunks on the street. I’ve written about this before, and I’ll write about it again, but so far there have been fewer Solyndra-type failures than Congress expected. The Energy Department’s controversial loan program has billions in excess reserves. The stimulus did not just promote one company or one technology or one pathway towards a clean-energy economy; it invested in all kinds of alternatives to fossil fuels, so they could battle it out in the marketplace. And for what it’s worth, the Bush Administration was gung-ho about the Solyndra loan, too.

———————————

(Ben LaBolt tweet)

25. 101 anniebella
    May 31, 2012 at 9:44 am

Maybe I shouldn’t ask this question, but are we looking for bad jobs numbers tomorrow?

26. 102 Ladyhawke
    May 31, 2012 at 9:48 am

Fox & Friends Stays Silent About Its Anti-Obama Attack Ad Amid Criticism

May 31, 2012 9:04 am ET by Eric Schroeck

—————————————-

Fox & Friends this morning did not address the widespread criticism of the 4-minute anti-Obama attack video it aired twice on Wednesday.

The video, which was loaded with misleading attacks on President Obama’s economic record, drew widespread criticism. Baltimore Sun television critic David Zurawik wrote that “[a]ny news organization that puts up this kind of video is rotten to the core.” The Associated Press described it as “a format that looked similar to a campaign advertisement.” Even conservative blogger Ed Morrissey, while noting that he wouldn’t “disagree with much, if anything,” in the video, asked, “Should a news organization produce and publish attack ads like this?”

Fox has since pulled the video from its websites.

Bill Shine, Fox News executive vice president of programming, said on Wednesday: “The package that aired on ‘Fox & Friends’ was created by an associate producer and was not authorized at the senior executive level of the network. This has been addressed with the show’s producers.”
    As Media Matters reported Wednesday, Fox News’ ad was the equivalent of nearly $100,000 of free advertising for the Republican Party.

————————————–

27. 103 Ladyhawke
    May 31, 2012 at 9:51 am

BREAKING: Walmart Ends Financial Support For ALEC

The world’s largest retailer, Walmart, has become the nineteenth group to leave the American Legislative Exchange Council. Walmart’s departure from the right-wing legislation-crafting group is particularly salient because the big box chain is also the largest purveyor of firearms in the country.

• May 31, 2012 at 9:57 am

They’re just regrouping to come up with a way to do what they’ve been doing with less exposure. I don’t think for a minute that these companies are pulling out of a lucrative policy making position just because it’s the moral thing to do. They knew what they were doing all along, they just hate that the light’s been shown on them. They’re pulling out for face-saving reasons. They’ll go back underground and reemerge as something less recognizable.

• 108 relellit
      May 31, 2012 at 10:46 am

Good Morning Todville.

Ladyhawke, that is great news about Walmart ending financial support for ALEC. Many, many, many others should go!!!

Have a nice day everyone. :)

28. May 31, 2012 at 10:07 am

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — The SpaceX Dragon capsule left the International Space Station on Thursday and aimed for a Pacific splashdown to end its historic flight.

Astronauts set the world’s first commercial supply ship loose after a five-day visit, releasing the vessel with the space station’s robot arm. The Dragon slowly backed away from the 250-mile-high outpost, on track for a midday return to Earth, six hours later.

The targeted splashdown zone is 560 miles west of Baja California.

“Dragon smoothly undocked, moved out, released and on its way home,” Dutch astronaut Andre Kuipers reported via Twitter.

NASA’s Mission Control quickly radioed praise to the six-man space station crew: “Great work, guys.” A brown toy dragon decorated the flight director’s desk in Houston. Within minutes, the capsule was outside the NASA-controlled safety zone around the space station and under the complete jurisdiction of the SpaceX team in Hawthorne, Calif.

This is cool! It reminds me of Apollo missions!

29. 110 Ladyhawke
    May 31, 2012 at 10:10 am

We’ve looked at Romney’s business experience, now let’s take a look at his governing – devastating new video

By Eclectablog

30. May 31, 2012 at 10:11 am

Two Democratic polls out in recent weeks show Republican incumbents in the most competitive congressional districts are in a weaker position than their Democratic colleagues.

A Democracy Corps poll released last month showed Republican incumbents in 56 targeted districts with significantly weaker political brands than Democratic incumbents in 23 of their most vulnerable districts.

The GOP incumbents had an average approval rating of 41 percent and disapproval of 33 percent – including a nearly even 37/36 split in the 28 most vulnerable Republican districts.

Democratic incumbents, meanwhile, had the approval of 50 percent of their constituents, versus 26 percent who disapproved.

Another Democratic poll of battleground House districts obtained by The Fix on Wednesday, from Democratic pollster Garin Hart Yang, backs up that data. In 58 districts targeted by either party, Democratic incumbents led in their districts by an average of 52 percent to 33 percent, while GOP incumbents led 45 percent to 39 percent for their seats.

31. May 31, 2012 at 10:13 am

Mr. Dotster mentioned this a.m. that the one reason the Repubs with whom he has contact—–in biz and on the golf course, old friends—-cite as why they are not inclined to vote for Willard is the Mormon thing. They cite reports about the Mormon hierarchy planning for the Willard presidency for years etc. Bothersome and they no likey. And he—-spouse—- was with a bunch of old college friends on a ski trip to Utah a few years ago and they tried to visit the Mormon Tabernacle in Salt Lake City out of curiosity—-and were surprised to learn that no one who is not Mormon was allowed inside. They still talk about that, and they thought that was weird, and isn’t that the only religion where visitors are not welcome in their houses of worship? And we notice this subject is being completely ignored in the “vetting” of Willard and by the media.

• May 31, 2012 at 10:15 am

Hence the reason the GOP are not enthused and why The Media is backing him!

• 114 lisalovesobama
      May 31, 2012 at 10:30 am

It’s the same with a friend of mine and her mother. The Mormon thingie gives them the hebe jebes. Also, how did those temple people know that your husband’s friends weren’t Mormon? Is there some specific pass code/ key phrase or something that only Mormons would know? Is it the magic underwear? Do you have to flash it before you are admitted?

Ps- all joking aside, it’s a religion, why the hell is it so secretive? Don’t they realize that it’s the secretiveness and the air of exclusivity that makes people leery of it? Airing commercials of different people saying “I’m a Mormon” and see my skin is dark, or “I’m a Mormon” and see I work as a fireman isn’t enough. People want to understand Mormonism, but acting as though non-Mormons are too dirty to enter your temple only feeds into the idea that its a crazy cult and makes it ripe for mocking, hence the magic underwear jibe. :roll:

• 115 relellit
      May 31, 2012 at 10:55 am

I loathe Willard’s lying ass. That just gives more creedance as to how the GOP refuses to evlove. Ironically, they say all this behind closed doors. Great!!! We can use all the no votes for Willard “MYTH” Romney.

32. May 31, 2012 at 10:13 am

NASA channel showing live Space X splashdown.
    This is going to be cool!

• 117 0388jojothecat
      May 31, 2012 at 10:18 am

This is cool. In a little over an hour, dragon will splash down in the pacific ocean near baja.

33. May 31, 2012 at 10:15 am

The convention volunteer coordinator just started sending out volunteer assignments so if you’re thinking about being there, sign up to volunteer soon.

34. 119 Ladyhawke
    May 31, 2012 at 10:22 am

Daniel Gross ‏@grossdm

—————————-

Lots of blah data points this a.m. Irony: housing and auto data now tend to be bright spots.

—————————-

35. 120 xtine
    May 31, 2012 at 10:29 am

Hi again, TODers! Desertflower, HZ love your comments from last night. DF, hope you had some great zzzs. HZ, did you save me a glass of that wine?!! :)

OK, here’s some dumb shit happening in Boston right now:

10.06am: There are scenes of some amusement on the steps outside the Massachusetts state house, as Romney campaigners and supporters try to squat on the site of the Obama campaign’s press conference scheduled to start shortly.

• 121 Debz
      May 31, 2012 at 10:57 am

They are so childish, I can’t believe they are considered a “professional” campaign. Between spelling America wrong, the stalking of POTUS, and this, it is so silly.

May 31, 2012 at 11:06 am

Morning, sweet:) Someone ought to make a campaign commercial about the juvenile antics that are going on! Do we REALLY want sophomoric Mitt with his finger on the button? I think that would be priceless………the commercial, that is!

36. 124 Ladyhawke
    May 31, 2012 at 10:33 am

The Romney campaign’s surreal arguments about the economy

By Greg Sargent

——————————

You really couldn’t make this one up if you tried.

The Romney campaign is out with a new press release blasting Obama for presiding over a “net” loss in jobs. As I’ve been saying far too often, this metric is bogus, because it factors in the hundreds and hundreds of thousands of jobs the economy was hemorrhaging when Obama took office, before his policies took effect.

But this time, there’s an intriguing new twist in the Romney campaign’s argument.

In the same release attacking Obama over “net” job loss, the Romney camp also defends Romney’s jobs record as Governor of Massachusetts by pointing out … that Romney inherited a state economy that was losing jobs when he took office.

Seriously.

——————————

37. 127 Linda
    May 31, 2012 at 10:37 am

DOMA Ruled Unconstitutional By Federal Appeals Court

38. May 31, 2012 at 10:39 am

Buddy Roemer drops out of Presidential race.
    Lol.
    Now watch him get hired by MSNBainC?

39. 134 Ladyhawke
    May 31, 2012 at 10:50 am

The baseless Bain/Solyndra comparison

By Steve Benen

———————————–

The comparison really didn’t make any sense, and soon faded away. This week, however, there’s a new comparison: Bain Capital is roughly equivalent to the administration’s investment in Solyndra.

I can almost see the underlying point. Obama invested in green energy companies to improve American competitiveness, create jobs, and boost energy innovation, while Romney invested in companies to generate returns for investors. To the extent that both saw opportunities and made investments that carried risks, there’s a superficial similarity.

But as Molly Redden explained, any serious analysis shows that the comparison quickly falls apart.

————————————–

40. May 31, 2012 at 10:59 am

On the topic of folks not voting for Romney because he is a Mormon. One of the ladies I work with at our food pantry is NOT a PO supporter, but she has said more than once that she will NOT vote for Romney because of his Mormon religion. I am betting there are many folks who are just like her.

• 136 Debz
      May 31, 2012 at 11:06 am

When I see the absolute hatred that Baptists have towards Jehovah Witness members, I tend to believe that many would not vote for a Mormon. It won’t matter what their “leaders” say in public.

41. 137 xtine
    May 31, 2012 at 11:04 am

A luta continua. Jeebus!

From The Guardian

Tens of thousands flee ‘extreme violence’ in Congo
    Aid workers say more than 100,000 people in North Kivu have fled mass executions, mutilations and rapes by armed militias

Villagers and townspeople in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo are facing “extreme violence” with atrocities including mass executions, abductions, mutilations and rapes being committed almost daily, according to aid workers in Goma, the capital of North Kivu province.

Fighting between the government army, the FARDC, and a group of mutineers led by a fugitive UN war crimes indictee, Bosco Ntaganda, has escalated since April. Armed militias including the notorious FDLR, a Rwandan rebel group based in Congo, have joined the fray in a multi-fronted battle for territory, money and power. But the violence has received relatively little international attention so far.

More here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/may/31/thousands-flee-extreme-violence-congo

42. 138 Ladyhawke
    May 31, 2012 at 11:04 am

VIDEO: David Axelrod on Romney’s Record as Massachusetts Governor

Notice how uncomfortable Matt Lauer is at the barrage of facts flowing from our man “Axe”.

43. 139 Ladyhawke
    May 31, 2012 at 11:08 am

Stephanie Cutter ‏@stefcutter

————————–

Memo from OFA Senior Strategist @davidaxelrod: “Romney Economics: It Didn’t Work Then and It Won’t Work Now.” http://bit.ly/KXfY2B

————————–

44. 140 virginia
    May 31, 2012 at 11:13 am

Don’t know if its been mentioned here, but on that critical analysis of the FAKE Romney “Certificate of Live Birth” you neglected to point out those “VOID” stamps up and down the sides of this “certificate”, surely that’s a sign that this document is manufactured and thus a forgery. Exactly what does a “voided” birth certificate do to Mitt Romney’s claim of American citizenship? These questions should be added to any investigation of, or questioning of the legitimacy of this so-called “Certificate of Live Birth”.

45. 142 virginia
    May 31, 2012 at 11:19 am

Another point about the “certificate”, I notice it was issued on January 18, 2012. I find that Extremely suspicious. If (and that’s a strong “if”) this is a legitimate “certificate”, why did Mitt ask for a copy 4 months ago? Was he planning on releasing this questionable document all along??? WHY did he wait until he was appearing with Trump to release it, if he Truly believes it’s not an issue, and that the President was indeed born in the U.S.

Mitt Romney is a LIAR and will do ANYTHING to win. ANYTHING. The clowns in those primary debates were right about that.

46. 143 Debz
    May 31, 2012 at 11:20 am

Any one see Tweety yesterday when PJ Crowley and the retired general eviscerated Willard on foreign policy?? I am looking forward to the day when foreign policy is brought up. While congress controls the economy, the President controls foreign policy and Willard is going to have to face that. :-D

47. 144 virginia
    May 31, 2012 at 11:23 am

Also, MY birth certificate has a city and/or county and State for the birthplace of my parents. Where in Utah was his mother born? Where in Mexico was his father born? Very suspicious!

May 31, 2012 at 11:48 am

When will Mitt Romney release his tax returns? Why won’t he release them? What is Mitt hiding?