Jun

Rise and Shine

President Obama speaks during a campaign event at the Wilshire Hotel in Beverly Hills, California, June 6

USA Today: President Obama and the Democratic Party raised a combined $60 million in May for Obama’s re-election effort, the campaign announced today.

That brings Obama’s total to about $450 million for the 2012 election.

The May fundraising number also tops April’s haul of $43.6 million for the president.

The campaign’s Twitter site reported that more than 572,000 people donated to Obama in May, some 147,000 of them for the first time.

It also said that 98% of the contributions were less than $250. Average donation: $54.94.

The Obama re-election team claims a total of 2.2 million contributors.

1:20: PBO delivers remarks at a campaign event at a private residence in Los Angeles

2:20: Departs Los Angeles

2:45: Michelle Obama meets with Obama campaign volunteers from the Manassas area

3:20: PBO arrives in Las Vegas

3:50: Delivers remarks on college affordability at the University of Nevada

5:00: Departs Las Vegas

9:25 Arrives at the White House

Morning everyone.

155 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 symmetry11
    June 7, 2012 at 8:33 am

Good morning

2. 10 Proud Former White House Intern
    June 7, 2012 at 8:33 am

Good morning Chips good morning TOD family.

3. 11 Suzette
    June 7, 2012 at 8:33 am

Good morning all.

4. June 7, 2012 at 8:34 am

Good Morning everybody. PBO leads in Virginia 47-42% per a new Quinnipiac Poll!

5. June 7, 2012 at 8:34 am

Let’s see how they will spin this!

Good morning all!

6. 16 ChristiMTL
    June 7, 2012 at 8:35 am

Initial jobless claims fell by 12,000 to 377,000 for week ended June 2.

June 7, 2012 at 8:38 am

Good Morning Chips, TOD, lurkers, everyone. Congratulations Symmetry on #1 :)

8. 26 Hachikō
    June 7, 2012 at 8:41 am

Good morning, everyone.

• 27 taiping1
      June 7, 2012 at 10:06 am

Twitter is hiring. Rapidly expanding. But they are in SF and a blue state. Hope you and Tucker are well

• 28 Hachikō
        June 7, 2012 at 11:36 am

Thanks, taiping. At this point, it doesn’t much matter where I go since I’m basically homeless.

We’re doing fine, thank you. :-)

9. 29 Hachikō
    June 7, 2012 at 8:42 am

This is for desertflower:

DF, I thought you should have this information yourself. I emailed EPIC directly to ask about the availability of their training and this is the response I got:

RE: Questions about EPIC training‏

6:12 AM
    Reply ▼
    Debi Deegan

Hello .

Thank you for your interest in Epic.

Epic has guidelines for who can attend training and attain certification in one of our many software applications. Generally, certification is achieved by successfully completing classroom training at our Verona, WI campus as well as project(s) and/or exam(s).

Our at-Epic and online training resources, as well as the certification process, are limited to customer needed training (direct employees of our customers and those third party consultants that are actively supporting them are eligible). If one of our customers requested that you attend training in order to fulfill a role at their organization, you may fall into this category. If you do not, we are unable to provide you with Epic training or documentation.

Thank you. Good luck in your endeavors.

-Debi
    Debi Deegan :: Epic :: Training Admin :: 1979 Milky Way :: Verona, WI 53593 :: 608-271-9000 :: debi@epic.com

June 7, 2012 at 10:20 am

Morning, Hachiko! I see that EPIC has responded to you..however, she is referring to being a CERTIFIED EPIC trainer….as opposed to a CREDENTIALED EPIC trainer :) Apply to a job that wants a CREDENTIALED EPIC trainer….you will get that “cred” after you go through a training class and then present in front of personnel from EPIC in WI that sit on on the class to make sure that you are teaching the software the way they want you to teach it. What she was talking about was becoming a Principle Trainer for EPIC. My husband said that you should apply to jobs that say they want a “trainer for EMR” (electronic medical records) Google that. Once you get that, your foot is in the door and then you will be able to go through the steps I mentioned above.

Every hospital and every Dr’s office in the country that takes Fed $ (Medicare/Medicaid) has to do this…there IS work out there, and I think that you would be perfect for this…keep pushing along. You jumped to the tip top of the cake, before you ate a bite…when you got the response from EPIC. My husband also said that EPIC is not the only software that can be taught…there are 2 or 3 other companies doing the same thing. EPIC is just the biggest one. Try Googling what i said, and see what happens….and let me know! Good Luck….I think of you everyday!

June 7, 2012 at 8:45 am

What is the over/under that the campaign hits 100 mil a month come september ?

11. 32 Jessica
    June 7, 2012 at 8:46 am

Don’t know if he’ll make 750 mil but that’s ok we were in a recession.

• 33 jackiegrumbacher
      June 7, 2012 at 9:25 am

Jessica–I think that the monthly haul is going to get bigger as the months go by. People are still not focused on the election—they don’t yet see the urgency that we do as yet.

12. 34 ChristiMTL
    June 7, 2012 at 8:51 am

Mark Knoller ‏@markknoller

New CBS/NYTimes poll shows 24% want Supreme Court to uphold “ObamaCare,”
    27% say overturn individual mandate,
    41% say overturn entire law.

This doesn’t make any sense to me.

June 7, 2012 at 9:00 am

The CBS/NYT polling has already been debunked as bogus because they’ve been weighting their crosstabs more heavily with Repubs, or conservative evangelical white Democrats, and underpolling minorities.

• 36 ChristiMTL
        June 7, 2012 at 9:03 am

We know what to expect in the media though.

• 37 57andfemale
        June 7, 2012 at 9:09 am

There isn’t enough over sampling shenanigans to ignore the thrust of these numbers.

The American people STILL do not understand this law. Media notwithstanding, the administration is still not doing enough to explain it. I just don’t get it. I’ll get yelled at for saying this, but it’s true. Other than the few provisions that are repeated regularly often, ACA is still not tied to jobs creation in PBO’s speeches, and how important it will be for our economy. Put it in economic terms: burdens off small businesses, burdens off entrepreneurs who could start businesses because health care would be affordable. Not to mention the creation of jobs whose product is the health of Americans.

Not one speech. Not included in the speeches. I do not understand it.

June 7, 2012 at 9:16 am

By my math if 41% want the entire law overturned in the court, then 59% want at least some part of it upheld. The same poll also showed that 85% LIKE the pre-existing conditions requirement and over 70% LIKE that children 26 and under can remain on parents’ plans – both of which are HUGE part of the law. The law is much more popular that the media/pollsters present it.

Once the insurance exchanges kick in by 2014, this law is going to be even more popular.

Finally, if the media spent less time spreading disinformation about the law or focusing on foolishness like Obama’s fundraising with Celebrities, maybe the American people would be more informed.

• 39 57andfemale
            June 7, 2012 at 10:34 am

You are absolutely right on your math.

The issue of the mandate is still being overrun by Republican memes. Hey, I was anti-mandate unless there were considerable regulations on the insurance industry. And gee, although I didn’t get all the regulations I would have wanted in ACA, I saw a significant first step and cheered the bill and I continue to cheer for the bill.

My issue is twofold: the exchanges will not really work as expected without the mandate. You need a large insurance pool to have it work and there is no requirement that insurance companies be part of the exchanges. They would have a strong incentive to be part of the exchanges IF there’s a promise of a greatly enlarged pool of customers. Without that guarantee, there is no incentive for them to be part of the exchanges specifically because there are regulations. So I’m afraid it’s either a win-win or a lose-lose.

Your point about the media — of course you’re right. But I still think the administration should have made it more of a priority, used ACA more effectively in terms of job creation. This is the one mistake by this administration that disturbs me. PBO was able to get through the media b.s. on the debt ceiling; he’s made significant inroads on the media message on jobs. There simply has not been the same priority for ACA. I expected it after 2010. I expected it after oral arguments (although by then it was probably too late). It is now probably close to too late to effectively show how ACA will DECREASE the BURDEN on Americans to get and afford health care.

• 40 Obama Grandmama
              June 7, 2012 at 11:01 am

I think the reason the administration is having a hard time getting the word out is this piece of legislation is complex and comprehensive. You know how successful short talking points are vs scholarly explanations. The media is focussed on what the corporations want and not into research or truth these days so does not help. One part of ACA I think is important is the 80/85% requirement of funds coming from insurance needing to be spent on medical expenses vs overhead, CEO pay, advertising etc. That should go a long way in holding down increases.

• 41 jackiegrumbacher
      June 7, 2012 at 9:23 am

If the SCOTUS made its decisions based on media polling we would not have Citizen’s United. The decision has already been made by the justices, so this poll is useless.

• 44 Cman
      June 7, 2012 at 9:51 am

Am I reading something wrong here doesn’t this mean that 51% do NOT want the whole law repealed? Isn’t that good? Guys we’ve gotta learn to spin as good as the republicans ;)

13. 45 Pamela
    June 7, 2012 at 8:51 am

Up and at ‘em on this lovely, cold, wet, wet day in Seattle! :)

14. 47 ChristiMTL
    June 7, 2012 at 8:54 am

Snark is definitely having a meltdown lol…..

15. 48 Linda
    June 7, 2012 at 8:56 am

Here is where Boehner is getting the money to defend DOMA. He needs to give it back.

“Boehner so far has collected $742,000 to defend DOMA, and that money was skimmed from funds that would normally go toward House officer and employee salaries, Chief Administrative Officer Dan Strodel told members of a House Appropriations subcommittee”

• 49 jackiegrumbacher
      June 7, 2012 at 9:24 am

So this guy Boehner can skim funds from salaries that people rely on to live and get away with it. Wonder what would happen if Nancy Pelosi tried to do that.

• 50 Pamela
        June 7, 2012 at 10:29 am

But not from his own, or cantor-wont’s, or any of the other overpaid, non-productive types who believe they are legislators!

16. June 7, 2012 at 8:57 am

Hi. I just commented on previous thread and no sooner do I look up than there is another. Good morning all and good to see you all after what seems like a lifetime. Been in hospital having an op and have felt completely out of it for the last week and a half, cant believe how much I have missed. While I was in hospital I got chatting to a lady in a bed near me about PBO, I was listening to his audio book and we got talking. She has an aunt in the US who when PBO was first elected she really didn’t like him but now thinks he is the best president in her lifetime and intends to vote for him this time around. That was so good to hear.
    Will look in from time to time but may not comment a lot over next few days as need to rest but I remain 100% committed to this great man and his re election bid.

God bless.
    Sam UK

• 52 ChristiMTL
      June 7, 2012 at 8:59 am

Hey Sam, I wish you a speedy recovery, nice to see you.

• 54 Pamela
      June 7, 2012 at 9:04 am

Hi Sam, good to hear you are on the mend, keep doing all the things you need to so healing will be complete! {{{{{{{{Sam}}}}}}}}

• June 7, 2012 at 9:05 am

Hiya Sam, so sorry to hear you’ve been in hospital, hope you’re getting your strength back? Great to hear from, look after yourself.

• 58 amk for obama
      June 7, 2012 at 9:05 am

Wish you a happy and quick recovery sam. Obama’s audio book, huh ?

• 63 57andfemale
      June 7, 2012 at 9:10 am

Be well, Sam, and thanks for that perspective. It gives us hope.

• June 7, 2012 at 9:25 am

It does, doesn’t it. We must never give up hope and for all those loud, foul mouthed haters out there shouting loudly there are thousands more of us who love and respect PBO – the silent majority.
        Thanks for your good wishes.

• June 7, 2012 at 9:13 am

Please take good care, Sam!! And thanks for that uplifting anecdote about PBO. Wonderful to hear that some people have an open mind when there’s constant evidence before them!!

• June 7, 2012 at 9:28 am

I was so happy to hear that there are those who can have an open mind. It was so gladdening to have that conversation. There must be so many more stories out there like the one of that lady’s aunt. PBO has such an open honest way with him. I fail to understand all the biggotry and hatred that surround him but sometimes I think that ‘bad’ news is always heard louder than good.

Thank you for your wishes, it means a lot. God bless you.

• 67 andogriff
      June 7, 2012 at 9:56 am

Sam, hope you are feeling better soon!

June 7, 2012 at 10:23 am

Quick recovery for you, Sam! Hope you get stronger everyday:)

• 69 sjterrid
      June 7, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Please take care of yourself, Sam UK you are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you have a quick recovery

17. June 7, 2012 at 8:57 am

The video for the CMT intros last night:

Trouble is, Mitt Romney is on there, too. PBO is first, though, so you can pause it as soon as he’s done.

June 7, 2012 at 9:03 am
    June 7, 2012 at 9:04 am
    • 73 ChristiMTL
      June 7, 2012 at 9:09 am

Oh really? well I’m sure he’s sitting somewhere at the moment giving another interview…..he loves it…there’s no way he doesn’t know what he’s doing….just go away

• June 7, 2012 at 9:10 am

This is beyond irritating. I’m glad the PBO team is trying to shake him out of it but good luck with that. The man has his own self-interests to peddle.

• 75 57andfemale
      June 7, 2012 at 9:11 am

Seriously? Has his staff met him? Does his staff think that Bill Clinton would put anyone ahead of his personal self interest and ambition?

• 76 prettyfoot58
      June 7, 2012 at 9:49 am

GM…everyone….

AMK…

these so-called misspeaks are coming far too often…do you this is deliberate/because all it does is cause confusion/it also causes the President and the campaign to play defense/

• 77 Obama Grandmama
      June 7, 2012 at 11:11 am

LOD had the entire Clinton clip showing what he actually said without the parsing and he actually was on the same wavelength as PBO. It surprised me. However, in this current climate of clipping and misrepresenting those asides do not work. He should have known that. Glad I saw it as I was really MAD at him.

20. 78 Ladyhawke
    June 7, 2012 at 9:07 am

ROMNEY’S SHAMELESS LYING CONTINUES (His entire campaign is built on falsehoods.)

Will The Media Fact-Check Romney’s Latest Whopper Accusing Obama Of Knowingly Slowing Down The Recovery?

———————————-

Byron York, the chief political correspondent for The Washington Examiner, is amplifying Mitt Romney’s discredited allegation that President Obama knowingly slowed down the economic recovery because he favored health care reform.

This Romney falsehood is based on a distortion of comments reported in the book The Escape Artists: How Obama’s Team Fumbled the Recovery, by The New Republic’s Noam Scheiber. The actual comments make clear that the White House has always rejected the dubious claim that it could not focus on economic recovery and health care reform at the same time.
    Romney’s statement, now amplified by the right-wing media infrastructure, is a flat out mischaracterization, and the media have a responsibility to make that clear.

——————————

21. June 7, 2012 at 9:10 am

How does Mark Halperin and Hacking Joe, know that the entire Healtcare bill will be overturned?
    Maybe the mandate, but the entire law? Good grief!

• 80 57andfemale
      June 7, 2012 at 9:14 am

There is a very real possibility, Jovie. Severability is one of the issues and it may be that if the mandate is struck down, the entire bill gets struck down.

If not and it’s only the mandate — and I think it was Scalia in oral arguments that said it would be a legislative problem — if there is no mandate then there is no way to even let the ‘free’ market keep costs down. Insurance costs will go sky high like we’ve never seen. It will be a disaster.

June 7, 2012 at 9:19 am

When the MSM says something, particularly where PBO is concerned – it is usually the opposite that happens. The media is sowing yet another of their tiresome and baseless “Obama is doomed” narratives.

Halperin’s entire 2008 election mantra was “Excellent News for John McCain.” Well, we all know how that turned out….

• 82 57andfemale
          June 7, 2012 at 9:40 am

I’m hopeful, hopefruit. I really am. Your scenario is often true, but I think the Supreme Court decision on ACA may not fit.

Kennedy’s reputation on being a swing vote on the court has to do with criminal issues, where he falls pretty well on the liberal side. He’s a very conservative judge on almost everything else. he voted for Bush v. Gore, Citizens United. I think we have reason to be concerned. A case like ACA is what the Roberts court dreams of: a way to overturn New Deal decisions.

Hope I’m wrong. You have no idea how I hope I’m wrong.

June 7, 2012 at 10:43 am

And even they overturn the ACA, our President is prepared to fight the battle to get it re-instated. Either way I think our President wins – and as a result, America wins.

• 84 57andfemale
              June 7, 2012 at 11:05 am

here’s an interesting thing about this campaign: some ‘setback’ for our side puts the issue in focus and then there’s a national conversation. this is one ofPBO’s best political skills, I think — turning those setbacks into a plus. The media can’t ignore it — they want to talk about the setback because they love hurting PBO and then they can’t ignore his effective pushback.

• June 7, 2012 at 11:24 am

Good Morning Hopefruit2 and everyone here at TODville. I totally agree with all that you have said about PBO re-fighting this battle. My concern is that the Electorate may not want to go with him on this again and just imagine how the other side will spin this for the forthcoming elections in November. It all just seems so unfair to you all and also to the President who is fighting so hard for the American People.
              I don’t think the idiots on “morning joke” would announce the decision if they knew it just my thoughts.

• 86 Obama Grandmama
            June 7, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I remember a reporter asking PBO what he would do in a second term and him saying refight the healthcare fight. Not his exact words. At the time I wondered about it. Maybe he is expecting to have to do healthcare over again due to the upcoming Supreme Court decision. After Citizens United it is hard to be hopeful about the healthcare decision.

• 87 TrumpDog
          June 7, 2012 at 9:49 am

Yeah I don';t get how either of these two can be considered credible after all their predictions have been proven wrong.
          We’ll get the decision when we get the decision.

• 88 Linda
      June 7, 2012 at 9:16 am

When has the hack of the year been right about anything?

Did he say that this will be good for John McCain ?

22. 89 Ladyhawke
    June 7, 2012 at 9:14 am

Mitt Romney Was For the Stimulus Before he was Against it

By Ben Cohen

—————————

Mitt Romney has made attacking Obama’s stimulus package a central theme of his campaign. A proponent of austerity, Romney now claims that only tax cuts for the rich and reduced government spending can save the economy. However, interviews he did while George Bush was in office are now surfacing showing a completely different Romney with a completely different economic philosophy. A couple of quotes that could come back and haunt the Republican presidential candidate:
    No doubt Romney will continue to lie his way out of this, but it’s great cannon fodder for Obama as his portrayal of Romney as an out of touch flip flopper looks more and more accurate.

————————————–

June 7, 2012 at 10:26 am

Not only that, but he favored infrastructure spending and renewable energy spending……

23. June 7, 2012 at 9:14 am

Chips,

I hope you post both the Rachel Maddow and Lawrence O’Donnell segments from last night, talking about how Willard’s been talking out of both sides of his mouth for what he did during the Vietnam era.

June 7, 2012 at 9:17 am

Guess this should make all those ‘white working folks’ really, really happy.

• 94 Pamela
      June 7, 2012 at 10:35 am

Since Myth is already retired, as in doesn’t have to ‘work’ anymore (did he ever?), and his main hobby has become running for President, of course he thinks the rest of us should work until we are very old, preferably until the day we die, right? There are no words to describe this less-than-human human. Do you think he IS human? I am not so sure….. He inspires such a high level of revulsion in so many of us.

• 95 Cha
        June 7, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Does the Mormon religion have a demon? It’s as if mitt romney came to earth to personify the ugliest entity..Evil..

June 7, 2012 at 9:21 am
  26. June 7, 2012 at 9:31 am

A couple weeks ago, Mitt Romney quoted Noam Scheiber’s book about the Obama administration’s economic rescue, “The Escape Artists,” in a highly misleading way. Yesterday he did it again, only this time Romney altered his description so that whatever shred of truth that once existed in his telling is gone, and nothing remains but a pack of lies. Here’s Romney’s incredibly false account:

A book that was written in a way that’s apparently pro-President Obama, was written by a guy named Noam Scheiber and in this book he says that there was a discussion about the fact that Obamacare would slow down the economic recovery in this country and they knew that before they passed it. But they concluded that we would all forget how long the recovery took once it had happened, so they decided to go ahead. The idea that they knowingly slowed down our recovery in order to put in place Obamacare, which they wanted and they considered historic but the American people did not want or consider historic, is something which I think deserves a lot of explaining…

The lies. Let us tote them up.

June 7, 2012 at 9:32 am

Panetta: US losing patience with Pakistan on militancy.

28. 104 Jessica
    June 7, 2012 at 9:36 am

So disgusted with Buzzfeed for warping PBO words to make it sound like a blowjob joke. Not even close. So disrespectful to him and First Lady. I’m so pissed off.

• 105 itgurl_29
      June 7, 2012 at 9:49 am

I’ve been blocked by all of the buzzfeed guys, but you all have got to swarm their timeline and call them out. This is RIDICULOUS! They’re jealous that Michelle Obama, unlike most of these repug wives, is so openly loved and respected by her husband, that they have to create a smear to put her in her place. “See, he treats her like crap just like McCain treats Cindy like crap! This is good news for John McCain!”

Don’t let them get away with it. Send dozens of tweets to them. They need to see thousands of disgusted tweets in their timeline.

• 106 susanne
      June 7, 2012 at 5:05 pm

i’m with you, jessica–disgusted, revolted, and furious. the ‘dog whistle’ reference to our president’s and first lady’s private life is beneath contempt.

29. 107 Betsy
    June 7, 2012 at 9:42 am

Thought this important to pass on:

June 7, 2012 at 9:43 am
  31. June 7, 2012 at 9:49 am

OMG! This Morning Fox & Friends told their viewers, that they will be heading to both Parties Conventions this fall!
    Good right?
    Then, they said where they were going, to Tampa, Charlotte and North Carolina.
    Ummm…, nah, never mind.

32. 113 57andfemale
    June 7, 2012 at 9:51 am

Was this covered here yesterday? I was gone most of the day. About Florida’s voter purge:

33. June 7, 2012 at 9:53 am

Good Morning TOD family

DOL launches online tool for healthcare job seekers

34. June 7, 2012 at 9:53 am

As a Black person, with our community’s history with the law enforcement, I find Willard’s time impersonating a State Trooper to be disturbing. As a community, we have enough trouble with the law profiling us at will. Now, some spoiled punk ass is cruising the streets to see how he can bother citizens?

35. 119 57andfemale
    June 7, 2012 at 9:56 am

What effing genius dreamed up this new CA way of running primaries? Seriously, this is totally fucked up:

“CA-31: I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a race turn around from Tossup to Safe R in one fell swoop before, but that’s what we’re left with after the Top 2 primary in California’s San Bernardino-based 31st district. Despite this being, on its face, a Dem-leaning district with a Hispanic plurality,
    the vagaries of the top 2 system wound up giving us two Republicans for the ballot in November: Rep. Gary Miller and state Sen. Bob Dutton. Miller and Dutton finished at 27 and 25 respectively, with Redlands mayor Pete Aguilar, the Dem expected to finish in the top 2, narrowly behind at 23, getting hosed by the presence of three other minor Dems (one of whom, Justin Kim, got 13%). A write-in candidacy isn’t possible under the new law, so one of the GOPers will be the new congressman here.

The good news is that this is the only place in California where the Top 2 primary blew up in our faces, but it looks like the DCCC was so focused on preventing this from happening in CA-26 that they let CA-31 fly under the radar, and it doesn’t seem like local Dems foresaw this possibility. We can also take some comfort in that this will still be a good pickup opportunity in 2014, when there will presumably be only one Republican (whichever of Miller or Dutton wins the ’12 general) on the primary ballot, but for now this counts as a royal Dem screwup.

• 120 Linda
      June 7, 2012 at 9:59 am

They probably voted on it… CA seems to put everything up for a vote.

• 121 57andfemale
        June 7, 2012 at 10:08 am

Yes. Mob rule on absolutely everything. Because American voters are so well-informed. God.

Frankly, it’s a miracle it wasn’t more fucked up than it was, but it will be in the future.

• 122 AnitaW
      June 7, 2012 at 10:40 am

I wonder about this seat. Most parts of San Bernardino are pretty conservative.

36. June 7, 2012 at 9:58 am

Ohhh, I see!

• 124 Ladyhawke
      June 7, 2012 at 10:24 am

ROMNEY’S RESUME IS LOOKING PRETTY THIN

I figured those ads were working. That’s why the media and the Romney campaign were whining and crying about the ‘TONE” of the Bain ads. They were effective and they tried to use the issue of “negative” ads to get them to stop. So they accused President Obama of going negative just because he was pointing out critical facts about Romney’s record. The ads used real people recounting how Bain impacted their lives. Real people explaining what we all know that Bain was never about creating jobs it was always about making money for investors. And no, President Obama is not against private equity. He’s against Romney twisting the facts and trying to turn Bain into something it was never designed to do just for political gain.

37. June 7, 2012 at 10:10 am
  38. 132 Esmerelda
    June 7, 2012 at 10:17 am

Good news on the fundraising and jobless claim numbers. I think we were due some encouragement though I think everyone is doing a remarkable job keeping their eyes on the prize!

June 7, 2012 at 10:18 am
  40. 135 Linda
    June 7, 2012 at 10:19 am

ON Dunemere Drive, it seems as if just about everyone has a gripe against the owners of No. 311.

The elderly woman next door complains that her car is constantly boxed into her driveway. A few houses over, a gay couple grumbles that their beloved ocean views are in jeopardy. And down the street, a widow grouses that her children’s favorite dog-walking route has been disrupted.

Bellyaching over the arrival of an irritating new neighbor is a suburban cliché, as elemental to the life on America’s Wisteria Lanes as fastidiously edged lawns and Sunday afternoon barbecues.

But here in La Jolla, a wealthy coast-hugging enclave of San Diego, the ordinary resident at the end of the block is no ordinary neighbor.

He is Mitt Romney.

Four doors up the street from the Romneys is the home of Randy Clark and Tom Maddox, a gay couple who meet regularly with other residents worried by the candidate’s renovation plans.

The men, who married in San Francisco four years ago, were asked by Mr. Romney’s architect to sign a document that stated they have no objections to his planned renovations, which would obscure a portion of their ocean view. They refused.

Romney’s new neighbors don’t like him or Ann.

• 136 Bill
      June 7, 2012 at 10:37 am

Morning Joe, Halperin, and Dan Senor were apoplectic that The New York Times reported this article. They went on and on about for at least 15 minutes. They all agreed that the NYTimes would never write such an article about a Democrat, and it reinforces the liberal bias of the MSM.

• 137 Linda
        June 7, 2012 at 10:42 am

I saw that….but Willie pulled up a 2004 article from the NYT where they did the same about Kerry.

June 7, 2012 at 10:29 am

Another bail hearing for this murdering perjurer ?

• 139 Linda
      June 7, 2012 at 10:34 am

CNN consider a bail hearing date ” Breaking News ? ”

Can they get any more pathetic ?

• 140 Ladyhawke
      June 7, 2012 at 10:43 am

CNN: A CAR CHASE & A CAT STUCK UP IN A TREE ARE ALSO BREAKING NEWS

CNN should be embarrassed. This is really pathetic to call this breaking news. It’s about the same as CNN calling a car chase or a cat stuck up in a tree breaking news. When a bail hearing can be construed as breaking news, breaking news has completely lost it’s meaning. Sheesh……

• 141 susanne
      June 7, 2012 at 5:14 pm

now, if only robme would show up in his little trooper uniform!

June 7, 2012 at 10:30 am
    June 7, 2012 at 10:43 am

from ThinkProgress: What Romney said at CMA’s….

– And finally: Obama and Romney appeared in a pre-taped segment for the CMT Music Awards and were “asked to pick a better host for the show – deciding between country singer Toby Keith and actress Kristen Bell.” Romney picked both and joked, “see, I just put two people back to work. You’re welcome America”:

He picked BOTH, because he ALWAYS picks both sides…THAT’S part of the problem….even for a stupid thing like this he has no convictions!

• 146 Cha
      June 7, 2012 at 3:44 pm

And, stupid doesn’t know they are both working or he’s lying again.

• 147 susanne
      June 7, 2012 at 5:17 pm

but it was perfect: the president had already chosen both candidates. then robme said ‘you’re welcome america’, claiming to have saved two jobs. sorry, but the president just did that, you asswipe. and this is just another example of the robme doctrine: if pbo does it, it’s wrong, unless it’s popular, and then ‘i take credit for that’.

any chance the cma audience caught that?

44. 148 GGail
    June 7, 2012 at 10:44 am

Good west coast morning Chipsticks and TOD family.
    Oh what a night I had last night!
    LGBT for Obama knows how to put on a benefit for our beloved President.
    The place was packed! My neck is sore from turning to see this celebrity or that one!
    And then there was President Barack Obama – OH MY!
    I was at a table where I had a direct unobstructed view to where he was speaking on the stage! Hearing his voice live and being that close, I kept weaving from reality to disbelief. During the time he was speaking and afterwards, there were so many people crying and with tears in their eyes, that I got choked up myself. His words resonate with you whether you are straight (which I am), gay, black (which I am), white, and everyone across the spectrum!

One phrase that really brought the house down: “If anyone asks why you are still involved, you tell them that you STILL HAVE HOPE, YOU STILL BELIEVE IN CHANGE!”

Ellen was the opening and she was wonderful ! Then she and her mother passed right by my table on their way out the door. I got to quickly say “love you” to Ellen, and she said thank you, then after the event was over, I saw her mother in the lobby and went up to her and I said, “excuse me, you’re Ellen’s mother aren’t you and she turned smiled and said “yes, I’m Ellen’s mother” and I said I recognize you from her show, she said “thank you”. Cher walked past my table and at one point, she paused and let us take her picture! Her son Chaz was with her too. The Star Trek guy, George Takadi (sp) was at a table across from me. He shook my hand. And then there was Jesse Tyler Ferguson. I saw him when I first entered the lobby. I told him how much I love him and his wonderful show. Then he waved at me as he was going past my table, finally, I saw him outside after the event and I got up the nerve to ask if he would take a picture with me and he did!

I have so many pictures of my President, that I know many are of the same pose, but I don’t care! I had a memorable night.

• 149 daisydem
      June 7, 2012 at 10:49 am

Thank you GGail for sharing with us. So glad you had a marvelous time and got to see/hear our President speak up close and personal. Wow! (And the gorgeous celebrities too … I mean Cher, Ellen …awesome!)

• June 7, 2012 at 10:55 am

SO excited for you, GGail!! It sounds like a wonderful night. We watched it here on the livestream and I thought it was a magnificent speech. I was choked up, too. He speaks from his heat and that is always very moving. I bet you’re on cloud 9!!

• 151 Hachikō
      June 7, 2012 at 12:00 pm

That’s wonderful! You must still be on a high. I know I am just from reading your account of the evening. LOL. I’m so happy for you. I saw his speech and was so moved. I got sooooo angry when the juveniles in the media tried to claim he made a blow job joke when he told the little story about Michelle and Ellen doing push ups. Jesus these people are nothing but a bunch of lowlifes.

Anyway, you will always have the memories of that wonderful evening. I can’t wait to see your pictures. BTW, his name is George Takei. :-)

• 152 Walking_on_ Sunshine
      June 8, 2012 at 12:33 am

OMG! No wonder you were weaving between reality and disbelief. That was a real star studded evening you had. Something to remember forever.
      I loved the President’s speech last night, especially the part where he told the story about the Marine in the gym who thanked him for ending DADT.

hank you for posting ggail!

45. 154 Jessica
    June 7, 2012 at 10:47 am

I see Romeny raised 76 million. I want to see the breakdown on the numbers. How many millions did Koch give?