Jun

‘Frat-boy conservatism in the Rose Garden’

Joan Walsh (Salon): What a buffoon.

Daily Caller “reporter” Neil Munro …. shouted, “Why do you favor foreigners over American workers?” while reportedly identifying himself as an immigrant….

…. I’m not one to revere the imperial presidency, but it’s unbelievable how wingnuts treat this man with such unprecedented and bullying disrespect….

…. And for right-wingers who insist Democrats are too quick to cry racism: Really, what else explains this constant, in-your-face (literally) contempt for a president?

Certainly they disrespected President Clinton, too, but never with such in-person abuse. Clinton was impeached after a political witch hunt and treated poorly even by the so-called liberal media, but he was never stalked into the Rose Garden or congressional chambers and heckled, as Obama has been.

…. It’s no accident that Munro works for bow-tied, sexually anxious bully Tucker Carlson, who famously (but not believably) boasted of beating up a gay man who made a pass at him in a men’s room, and admitted that when he hears Hillary Clinton speak, “I involuntarily cross my legs” …. This is your modern Republican Party, folks. It only gets worse.

Full post here

I’m no fan of Joan Walsh – at all – I don’t think she’s always shown much respect to PBO either, but I thought she was spot on here.

I honestly can’t even begin to describe how much I ***ing despise these people.

Back in a while.

109 Responses to “‘Frat-boy conservatism in the Rose Garden’”

1. 1 criquet
    June 15, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Hello all ,am I first?

2. 7 criquet
    June 15, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I concur with Chips’ assessment of Joan Walsh and agree with her that in this case Joan Walsh makes cogent points.
    What I hope is that she and her “progressive ” colleagues will be as vocal when on air about this and the horrific obstruction and agenda of the GOP in and out of Congress.

June 15, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I’m not a Joan fan either, though I must say, that as the RW gets crazier and crazier…she appears more normal.

4. 9 Hachikō
    June 15, 2012 at 5:37 pm

His boss says he’s proud of him and would give him a raise if he could afford it. Speaking of in your face, check out @NeilMunroDC’s twitter avatar.

June 15, 2012 at 5:40 pm

How are you sweetness? Been thinking of you…everyday I think of you.And Tucker:)

• 11 Hachikō
        June 15, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Hey. Much better today. Thank you! Tucker had fun today. He’s all tuckered out. :-) I’ll give him a butt rub for you. :-)

• 12 Obama Grandmama
          June 15, 2012 at 9:09 pm

In response to the butt rub comment, I have never heard that phrase before and usually would chuckle but I immediately thought I wish I could get a butt rub as like a massage of that area as I am experiencing pain in my gluteas medias muscles on the opposite side of my knee replacement. Guess it has to do with shifting weight while walking to compensate. But a butt rub struck me as helpful! LOL

• 13 Hachikō
            June 15, 2012 at 11:01 pm

LOL. Yes, I think that’s why you’re having trouble there, Grandmama. Tucker, my pup, loves to have his butt rubbed. He does a little happy dance when I do it.

Are you getting physical therapy? That should help with your muscles and overcompensation.

Take care!

• 14 Linda
      June 15, 2012 at 5:44 pm

So Tucker is going to dip in his Mommy’s trust fund money again to give this guy a raise ?

Why not just give him a truck load of Swanson TV dinners instead ?

• 15 utaustinliberal
      June 15, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I saw the avatar. He clearly has problems with African-Americans in positions of power.

5. 19 ChristiMTL
    June 15, 2012 at 5:45 pm

”Tucker Carlson: I’d give reporter who interrupted President Obama a raise ‘if we could afford it”

At this point now it’s pure provocation. He’s loving it….he knows that people who are not RWNJ are outraged and he’s just piling on….Effing racist….they make me sick,….

• 20 Linda
      June 15, 2012 at 5:47 pm

If he could afford it ? He is an heir to the Swanson Foods Fortune….who does he think he is kidding ?

• 21 Liberal Librarian
      June 15, 2012 at 5:48 pm

My tweets for the past while have been about admiration for PBO, not Tucker’s sock puppet. I say we all concentrate our energies there and starve him of oxygen.

• 22 Liberal Librarian
        June 15, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Ah, the hell with it. I’m in a feisty mood, so if I see the opportunity, I’ll keep piling on the turds.

• 23 57andfemale
          June 15, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I understand both of your positions, but this is a time for outrage. It frames our message of what this president is up against.

• 24 Liberal Librarian
            June 15, 2012 at 6:25 pm

That’s why I changed my mind. Tucker Carlson’s lapdog epitomizes the utter disrespect shown to the black guy in the White House.

• 25 Melanie
        June 15, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I agree!!!

• 26 prettyfoot58
      June 15, 2012 at 6:21 pm

why didn’t the other reporters say something to this man…

• 27 Bill
        June 15, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Great question.

June 15, 2012 at 6:48 pm

prettyfoot58, they didn’t say anything because they are no better than that bastard.

• 29 0388jojothecat
          June 16, 2012 at 12:24 am

The Corporate owned entertainment-journo’s protect there own. They would NEVER call out one of their own just in case they want to work for that organization one day or their company is bought by that organization…….they would be without a job.

6. 30 Liberal Librarian
    June 15, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Meant to post this here:

Was fun shutting this schmuck down:

I’ve had one HELL of an afternoon. Why do I always get the sexual deviants when I’m in charge?!

7. 32 sherijr
    June 15, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Total pos scum. I tweeted his sorry ignorant bigoted self.

8. 33 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    June 15, 2012 at 5:48 pm

9. 34 Linda
    June 15, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Screw this guy….. I am still buzzing from the thunderous reception our President just received from the LGBT community.

June 15, 2012 at 5:52 pm

This is not an EO…why do they keep saying that? Just proves they really don’t care too much about the facts and details.

11. 36 Ladyhawke
    June 15, 2012 at 5:53 pm

THE ACTORS STUDIO “JAMES LIPTON” ON MITT ROMNEY’S ACTING ABILITY.

(This is just hilarious. My side hurts from laughing so hard.)

The View‘s Elisabeth Hasselbeck Fumes As James Lipton Criticizes Mitt Romney

————————–

Lipton said that he felt Romney was trying to play two roles — that of the unapologetic rich guy and the regular dude — and failing at both as a result. But! Romney has also made a lot of charitable donations, Elisabeth Hasselbeck interjected testily.

That may be true, but it didn’t stop Lipton from criticizing Romney’s inability to smile with his whole face (in other words, he’s a bad smize-er). “These are bleak times!” Hasselbeck responded. Then, Lipton shared that Romney is “mysterious” to him (“I think he’s pretty straightforward!” Hasselbeck interrupted). Lipton simply kept talking without acknowledging that she was there.
    At this point everyone else at the table was ignoring her (Sherri Shepherd’s“Leave it alone” face was particularly on point) and they moved on to Romney’s wardrobe, which Lipton called a mixture of “bowling alley and country club.”

—————————–

June 15, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I missed the reception :( Does WH site have it?

13. June 15, 2012 at 5:54 pm

14. 52 Liberal Librarian
    June 15, 2012 at 5:57 pm

15. 53 Rita
    June 15, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Fellow TOD’ers… let’s buck the trend and flood the twitterwaves with congratulations to PBO for his bold and morally justified stance on immigration. Let’s not give this ass the time of day.

16. 58 EricFive
    June 15, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Not a fan of Joan Walsh but she makes some valid points about the disrespect PBO faces. Our media is out of control, now “reporters” are resorting to heckling the President, their provocation of the President is getting more overt as the media’s filter is becoming more and more tattered and ineffective. Like a child throwing a temper tantrum. No denying the racist element this behavior caters to and emboldens.

17. 60 idon
    June 15, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Yes I will post congrats to PBO. Alsdo, I want toi address the hairless chimp journalist who disrespected the President and the Office and all Americans.

18. June 15, 2012 at 6:01 pm

19. 64 peti4-44
    June 15, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I think this crazy guy in the Rose Garden did Obama a favour. Because the President reactet perfectly..with passion..a bit angry …and still bringing the right arguments. So this guy looks like an idiot and extremely disrespectful..everybody being there at that time must have been ashamed for him. But everybody could see (what we all know) that Obama is willing to fight for his ideals ..there were a lot of emotions…and often people think, Obama doesn´t show enough emotions.

20. 65 theo67
    June 15, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Live stream of First Family heading to Chicago http://www.ustream.tv/cbsnews

21. 66 sabreen60
    June 15, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I’ve been giving him and the Daily Caller hell on twitter – me and about a gazillion other people.

I also stepped on some toes. I said that the white progressives on Twitter who find this incident amusing – it would be my bet that black people don’t find it funny. We’ve kept a running tab of the disrespect President Obama has had to endure – unlike ANY OTHER President.

22. 67 trinisamba
    June 15, 2012 at 6:13 pm

It is absolutely appalling behaviour. He should be dragging his face on the pavement. So juvenile. Way to go PBO. You showed them just the right amount of passion and even empathy for the children of undocumented immigrants.

23. 68 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    June 15, 2012 at 6:14 pm

In summary ….

#FORWARD

24. 69 Dudette
    June 15, 2012 at 6:22 pm

See that red press badge around his neck? I think that puppy is now invalid as of this. He won’t be heckling the President on the White House grounds anymore that’s for sure. I’m so sick of these bastards disrespecting my President. Don’t let me run into that guy…

25. 74 susanne
    June 15, 2012 at 6:23 pm

michigan rep lisa brown was barred from speaking after using the word ‘vagina’ in a debate about a woman’s right to decide about an abortion.

it’s not that they don’t think it’s a proper word; it’s that they think some child might be listening in, and become upset.

June 15, 2012 at 6:27 pm

I understand that the word “vasectomy” was also offense to the men in the room…Holy crap, they are nuts.

June 15, 2012 at 6:28 pm

offensive.

• 77 susanne
        June 15, 2012 at 6:44 pm

truly nuts–as if (1) there are children listening to the discussion of abortion rights, and (2) those same kids would be offended by the word ‘vagina’. are the rethugs afraid the word will leak out, that pregnancy and sexual organs are linked?

• 78 Bill
        June 15, 2012 at 6:51 pm

In reponse to the proposed vaginal probe law in Virginia a woman legislator was going to introduce a bill that all men wishing to use erectile dysfunction medication be required to have a rectal exam. She withdrew the bill when the vaginal probe bill was withdrawn. State legislators can get wild.

26. 79 yardarm756
    June 15, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Here,once again, is another example to those naive enough to believe we’re in a post-racial society. There are other examples that come out every day that try to put the President and minorities in an inferior status. If things don’t change soon, it will get real ugly.

27. 80 anniebella
    June 15, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Hope the Obamas have a relaxing enjoyable time in Chicago.

28. 81 Tally
    June 15, 2012 at 6:30 pm

June 15, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Hey Meghan, It all started when your father released that pitbull on America – and her rhetoric encouraged disrespect towards the President among the base AND in the media…

Too late now…you should have spoken up when papa was running back in 2008.

• 83 Dudette
        June 15, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I’ll give her points for speaking up, but does she really influence anyone anyway?

• 84 Tally
        June 15, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Tweet that to her.

• 86 Obama Grandmama
        June 15, 2012 at 9:29 pm

I get annoyed that Meghan McCain, Liz Cheney, and Luke Russert all get free passes based on their dads. They are presented infront of us like they are experts just by having grown up with politics/journalism in their life.

29. June 15, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Obama supporters all over the country just made another little mental tick mark. We will remember this Sh!+.

30. 89 majiir
    June 15, 2012 at 6:37 pm

This was on the Think Progress site. Todd Zwillich stated this about Munro in a tweet:
    “I was standing right behind Munro in the Rose Garden. Idea he “mistimed” his questions isn’t credible. He purposely interrupted.”

31. June 15, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Anyone know who issued the temporary press pass to this jerk and was it Ed Henry, who is in charge of WH press pool, and did he know what Munro was planning to do? Just wondering.
    And it looks to me like almost all decent people in the journalism world, even some surprises, are strongly condemning the obnoxious, rude and disrespectful behavior of this jerkface.

• 91 Dr. Sisco
      June 15, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Ed Henry knew exactly what he was doing. The racial resentment has gone so over the top that they make the Klan appear “quaint”. We have got to keep fighting for PBO because the white folks are running scared.

• June 15, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Hey there, Dr. Sisco please consider: because…”some of the white folks” are running scared. Certainly not this one nor millions of others.

Semantics do matter as we try to bring everyone together to reelect our president.

• June 15, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Just recently it was reported that more babies of color are now being born in the US than are white babies. So .. how long will it be before white voters will be in the minority. And how soon will we see a white version of the NAACP, crying racism on the white’s part. I’m sorry that I might not live long enough to see that. I’d enjoy watching it.

32. 96 Dudette
    June 15, 2012 at 6:50 pm

It’s Friday and I need some good music to calm me down. Lately I’m digging this young lady from New Zealand, Kimba. Sister has got chops!

33. 98 anniebella
    June 15, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Thank God President Obama has his family. And he has us, who need to continue to pray for him and his family everyday.

June 15, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Yes they have gone after this President, but he has held his head high and shown the class and dignity his enemies knows nothing about. They wouldn’t know it if it slap them in their racists S.O.B. faces. Forgive me for the language I use.

• 101 magapie
        June 15, 2012 at 7:51 pm

34. 102 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    June 15, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Putting certain folk on notice ….

#PRESSON

35. 104 Linda
    June 15, 2012 at 6:58 pm

“It is heartbreaking,” Obama said, as he talked about how such immigrants often realize they are without legal status only when they try to go to college or join the military. “That can’t be who we are. To have our kids, classmates of our children, who are suddenly under this shadow of fear through no fault of their own. They didn’t break the law – they were kids.”

Obama, Dec. 2010 on defeat of the Dream Act in lame duck session.

36. 105 Dr. Sisco
    June 15, 2012 at 7:05 pm

These attacks on President Obama and AG Holder are attacks on US. Whenever I see these racist attacks, the calls for “college transcripts”, “birth certificates” etc., only confirms what right-wing bigots think of educated African Americans. We are not equal under the law, and undeserving of respect. I cannot understand HOW so-called Black Republicans can stand to look themselves in the mirror knowing what these racist toads truly believe about people who look like them.

37. June 15, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Joan Walsh has been nothing but supportive of Pres Obama. Sure, we liberals disagree with the president sometimes and I for one refuse to not hold his feet to the fire and remain a kool-aid drinker. I love Pres Obama more than anything, always have, and always will. I also wished he could forever be POTUS…but he’s not. It’s my duty, AND journalist Joan Walsh’s to question some of his political moves….like giving in the republicans blackmail. Heaven knows there’s plenty of puppets out there and I refuse to be one. Joan Walsh is no different than a lot of us. We love this president and will stand by him no matter what, BUT we will not agree with everything he does. Just my two cents and mean no disrespect.

• June 15, 2012 at 8:06 pm

“Joan Walsh has been nothing but supportive of Pres Obama.”

Can’t agree with that Kari, I think she’s displayed ugly Firebaggerish tendencies along the way, and her repeated defense of Greenwald’s bile has been stomach-churning, to say the least. I have no problem at all with sincere liberal commentators criticizing PBO for this and that, but she never strikes me as sincere. I think she made a calculated gamble that turning Salon to in Firebaggerlake-lite would prove profitable, so that’s the direction it’s largely taken. I thought her piece today was excellent, but as Granny used to say, I wouldn’t trust her as far as I could throw her!

• 108 utaustinliberal
        June 15, 2012 at 9:20 pm

This is why I freaking love you. You’re lethal with a keyboard. Bravo Chips! All you said was 100% truth.

38. 109 magapie
    June 15, 2012 at 9:33 pm

I posted the comment below earlier in response to some TOD-er’s expressing their dismay at the disrespectful (unprecedented) treatment of OUR PRESIDENT. I did not post it as an argument and I feel the same way you do!! But I do really believe what I said! Barack Obama has lived an inspiring life and IS INSPIRING TO MILLIONS OF PEOPLE. That’s SO exceptional. The guy is one friggin TOUGH HOMBRE. Damn I wish he could get that fish-excrement-pile willard in a ring…or on a basketball court or…Well, he’ll KICK HIS SUPERCILIOUS, ARROGANT, IGNORANT, PRIVILEGED, LYING, SMARY ASS in the debates!!! I can hardly wait!!!!!

“The man is tough as nails with nerves of titanium. And I’m talking REAL PROVEN TOUGHNESS with none of the bluster. NOT the ruff ‘n’ tuff talkin’ tuffguy ACT like the previous inhabitant of the White House. GAwd damn he made me want to projectile vomit with “Bring-it-on” (young men dying no risk to me) “dead-or-alive” (I have NO CLUE how to do this job)”