Jun

What a day

Maria Ibarra, 19, originally from Durango Mexico, and Candido Renteria, 24, of Monterrey Nuevo Leon, hug with joy after President Obama announced he would ease enforcement of immigration laws, June 15, in Edinburg, Texas

Julio Calderon, a 23-year-old student at Miami Dade Community College who arrived to Miami from Honduras when he was 16, wipes away tears during President Obama’s press conference

Niouseline St. Jean, originally from Turks and Caicos Islands

People gather around a laptop to watch the live broadcast of President Obama’s announcement easing enforcement of immigration laws in Salt Lake City

Rosa Maria Soto of Phoenix hugs Eva Monteloneo after hearing President Obama is easing enforcement of immigration laws

President Obama responds to a reporter interrupting his comments on immigration in the Rose Garden of the White House

President Obama sits down to lunch with supporters who won a campaign contest at Lincoln restaurant in Washington, DC

President Obama speaks at a reception to observe LGBT Pride Month at the White House

300 Responses to “What a day”

1. 1 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    June 15, 2012 at 6:56 pm

#PRESSON

• 2 Dudette
      June 15, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Congrats on 1st, Colonel Bob!! :-)

• 3 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
        June 15, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Thank you. Didn’t actually think it would be first, but am glad the message is. Tavis, Corny and a bunch of other folk who should have had our President’s back got the same tweet.

He is now, without doubt, the finest President we have had since Lincoln. And, he’s got 4.5 years more of Presidency ahead. We are very fortunate and we need to protect that fortune with every fiber of our beings.

#FORWARD

June 15, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Congrats Bob on #1!

• 11 sabreen60
      June 15, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Congrats Bobfr – King of the Twitter. Please don’t stop!

• 12 nathkatun7
      June 15, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Bobfr, you are my hero! Congrats on being first! But even more importantly, thank you for your energy and dedication in taking the fight to these despicable people (my words) who call themselves Republicans. People who are prepared to destroy the country because of their hatred of one man, who won the presidential election fair and square, are truly vile people.

2. 13 Proud Former White House Intern
    June 15, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Love it

3. 15 Liberal Librarian
    June 15, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Ok, I’ve had a hell of a day too, and now these pictures are making me choke up. And not just because I’m Latino. We are so lucky to be alive in this time, even with all its problems. The world is changing around us for the better, and can’t be turned back.

• 16 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      June 15, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Yes We Do

Yes Our President does, every single day ….

#FORWARD

• 18 Bill
      June 15, 2012 at 7:06 pm

You are right LL, the days when people like Tucker Carlson have influence are about over.

• June 15, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Tucker has never stood on his own two feet. He has failed at everythig he’s done, when he had to report to bosses. His dad got him every job on TV and he blew every one. After Jon Stewart ripped him to shreds, he never recovered. Now on the daily run, I guess with mor of daddy’s money he peddle mor trash. He is a speck in the universe.

• June 15, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Hey, LL, I’m also Latina. I’m completely choked up by these photos and share your joy for just being alive to witness this incredible President. Such a gift!!

• June 15, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I couldn’t find the words, but as usual you did LL. As I keep on saying, I feel blessed to be a citizen of this world while this man is President. Blessed!

• 22 Liberal Librarian
        June 15, 2012 at 7:35 pm

And not to be flippant, but Wayne Rooney will be back with his squirrel for the last game! :lol: Advance England!

• June 15, 2012 at 7:39 pm

But part of me, LL, will never forgive my beloved Squirrel-head for not playing for the country of his ancestors: Ireland. Not that Ireland needed him in Euro 2012 :cry:

• 24 Liberal Librarian
            June 15, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Yeah, Fernando Gingerbread had a good day. Hopefully he’ll keep that form for Chelski

4. 25 Suzette
    June 15, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Good evening all. It cedrtainly has been a day and a half…

June 15, 2012 at 7:19 pm

In picture sixteen I believe, POTUS is mad, and he has every right to be. This is the reason why I love hearing FLOTUS talk about how they make him laugh, how they make each other laugh, when POTUS gets off that elevator, it’s Dad and Barack, ( her husband her man). It is about the Obama family. He needs that with all the crap he has to deal with.

June 15, 2012 at 7:29 pm

All of you referring to it having been quite a day are making me nervous. Obviously I’ve missed something, but I’m not going back to look this evening. I’ve going to hang on to my smile and cheery spirit at seeing both the emotion of the young immigrants AND the beauty and unity that is the Obama family, so there!

5. 29 Dudette
    June 15, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Yes indeed… what a day!

6. 30 Suzette
    June 15, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I can not believe how big Sasha is. It’s as if I haven’t seen her in two months and just got bigger on in one jump.

• June 15, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I was just thinking the same thing. She seems a lot taller. A young lady, for sure. And don’t get me started on Malia. What a beauty!!

• 32 utaustinliberal
        June 15, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I was going to say the same thing. They’ve sprouted up like weeds before our very eyes. They’re both beautiful.

June 15, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Sasha is 11, and July 4th Malia will be 14. They have grown, I know they make POTUS and FLOTUS so proud, just look at POTUS face.

June 15, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Sasha is getting taller too, look at her stand next to her Dad.

• 35 Suzette
        June 15, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I know, the President looks so relaxed and happy with his family. I hope he gets to rest and unwind during the week-end.

• 36 Liberal Librarian
        June 15, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Malia and Sasha have the whole world before them to be their oyster. All thanks to those two incredible people they call their parents.

• June 15, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Those girls are growing so tall. I have a granddaughter Sasha’s age. She would probably come up to Sasha’s waist. And Malia looks to be about as tall as her dad already. Growing up fast indeed.

• 38 HZ
        June 16, 2012 at 1:46 am

Malia is 5’9” What lovely young ladies they are indeed. POTUS has that beautiful father’s smile on his face when he is around them. We are so blessed to be living this lovely history with them.

Keep them in our prayer and meditation space. HZ

7. 39 sherijr
    June 15, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Those photos of those young people express exactly why I voted for this man to be our President and will proudly do so again. His voice continues to change the world.

• June 15, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Exactly, Sherijr. In my own community today, people are besides themselves with joy. This man is a humanitarian through and through. And as an aside, people who think they know him haven’t the slightest clue. Their heads are too filled with their darn egos to recognize this historic making figure.

• 41 sherijr
        June 15, 2012 at 7:40 pm

His actions continue to give me hope for the rest of this country… hopefully folks will begin emulating his adult behavior, his kind spirit.

• 42 Hachikō
      June 15, 2012 at 7:34 pm

This morning, I read a Guardian article on his NYC fundraiser at Sarah Jessica Parker’s last night, and the reporter claimed that POTUS has lost his own star appeal which is why he needs these celebrities to host these fundraisers. So, the logic is, Meryl Streep paid $10,000 to spend the night with Sarah Jessica Parker and Anna Wintour. President Obama is just incidental. Talk about grasping at straws and making shit up. This is what passes for journalism these days.

• 43 sherijr
        June 15, 2012 at 7:36 pm

wow- they reach new levels of low each day… sometimers hourly. they’re all so full of their own image they haven’t got a true clue how the majority of this country feels about President Obama.. we’ll show them on election day :)

• 44 nathkatun7
          June 15, 2012 at 8:38 pm

“…we’ll show them on election day.” Exactly, sherijr! This should be our number one focus. When we re-elect President Obama in November, despite the relentlessly negative media and the obscene amounts pledged by the richest people to defeat him, we will singlehandedly restore American democracy. We will show the world that neither money nor a hostile press can defeat the determined will of the majority of the people.

June 15, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Hachiko, that reporter is just like all the other anti-Obama, just plain stupid. Look at the children reaction in Cleveland when POTUS stop by that boys and girls club , then look at the reaction Mitt Romney got when he went to the black school in Philly.

• 47 theo67
        June 15, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Luckily, they can say whatever they want. It doesn’t make it true. And in the end, they are the ones who remain delusional. The world will keep on spinning – they will be left behind in their delusion.

8. 48 PoliticalJunkessa
    June 15, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Look at those gorgeous Obama women! And the guy isn’t too shabby either ;-)

Another momentous day in the Obama Administration. Another great day for America — no doubt about it.

Lovely round-up, Chips. ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

9. 49 Linda
    June 15, 2012 at 7:06 pm

“It is heartbreaking,” Obama said, as he talked about how such immigrants often realize they are without legal status only when they try to go to college or join the military. “That can’t be who we are. To have our kids, classmates of our children, who are suddenly under this shadow of fear through no fault of their own. They didn’t break the law – they were kids.”

Obama, Dec. 2010 on defeat of the Dream Act in lame duck session.

• 50 HZ
      June 15, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Linda, I want to say, “Thank you Linda for your generousness.” I have almost reached my goal for our ‘Our Brilliant 44th POTUS. I am currently at $419.00, a few from my $444.00. Hoping to reach it by Father’s Day.

((((( Thanks so much to all of you who made this dream out of the box for me)))))))) HZ

• 51 Linda
        June 15, 2012 at 7:25 pm

HZ,

I am happy for you…but sorry to say that I have not donated…. I am on a monthly auto donate.

Bring your link over and I will donate .
        :-)

• 52 HZ
          June 15, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Linda, I thought you were the one who donated, and OFA did not put in the “Thank You Note” to be sent along with two others, so I thought that the Linda was you.

You do not need to do that. I just wanted to make sure that I was able to thank each person who donated. I am so funny about things like that. Mom always taught me to say, “Thank you.”

(((((((( Hugs for helping in your monthly one.))))))) All is so precious and surely helpful to get this great man re-elected. We will keep pressing on.

June 15, 2012 at 7:09 pm

That’s so much better! :lol: :lol: I opened the door at first and was met by the buffon/punk and was not a happy camper. After fuming for a little bit, I closed and opened the door again, and voila, a smiling, happy face. Thanks Chips, you must have realized I was at the door. You are such a thoughtful soul….(sometimes). ;)

Evening fellow, TODobots! Another week is over and I have most of tomorrow to catch up. Life is good! :lol: :lol:

• 54 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      June 15, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Well, friend, perhaps you will appreciate having this oldie but goodie to ease you into the weekend ….

No question, President Obama has delivered mucho HOPE & CHANGE irrespective of the fact that he’s faced enormous obstruction and abuse including from many who should have been his staunchest supporters.

But, we’ve stood with him, as have millions of Americans, and we are going to let the entire world know on 6 Nov 2012 that President Obama will remain on the job four more years!

#PRESSON

June 15, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Yes. We. Can! Thanks ‘bro'; this certainly was a lovely reminder. I cannot remember another campaign that appealed to my senses, and touched me so deeply in so many ways. Bring on Nov. 6th!

• 56 HZ
        June 15, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Yes We Will, Bobfr. Thanks for this!!!! HZ

• 57 nathkatun7
        June 15, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Thanks for this, “oldie but goodie.” Yes we will, and we must, re-elect this good man for another term.

June 15, 2012 at 7:14 pm

I would be trembling in fear to meet the President. I would not be able to eat. Especially knowing that I would be on camera!

• 59 Liberal Librarian
      June 15, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Oh, there’s no way in Hades I’d eat.

• 60 GGail
      June 15, 2012 at 7:56 pm

I know I would break down in tears of joy and disbelief that this kind, generous, smart, humble, man also known as the President of the United States is about to sit down to break bread with me.

June 15, 2012 at 8:44 pm

It has 13,183 likes :) can’t imagine why !

12. June 15, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Local Chgo news showing all the barricades going up in the Obama/Jarrett Kenwood neighborhood. Sorta laughed when they mentioned there is a police presence there also as they showed a line of police cars as far as the eye could see. Mentioned something about a backyard bbq, don’t know when that’s happening. Interviewed a neighbor to ask her how she feels about being so inconvenienced. She said she can still move around, the police are nice and the Obamas can return as much as possible as far as she is concerned.

• June 15, 2012 at 7:34 pm

This is the reason why I am hesitant to invite the First Family to my wedding :) :)

I should probably get engaged first. And befriend the First Family. oh, details, details.

• 66 yardarm756
      June 15, 2012 at 9:23 pm

The BBQ will be at a friends house 2 blocks away. PBO and family will attend then do the wedding tomorrow. He’s safe at home. Trust me on that!

13. 67 lisalovesobama
    June 15, 2012 at 7:20 pm

why are the babies so big? :tears: :cry: I can remember when they were so cute and tiny. Now they are beautiful young women. Every time I see them it’s like they grew another couple inches. Poor PBO probably wants to stop time for a little while so they’ll still be his little girls. Poor Daddy. :(

• 68 itgurl_29
      June 15, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Sasha is getting to big. She’s out of the “baby” stage now and looks like a young lady. It’s bittersweet. I can’t wait to see what wonderful women these girls will be, but I still want them to be babies!! I don’t even know them so I can’t even imagine how the President feels.

• 69 lisalovesobama
        June 15, 2012 at 7:25 pm

I know right? it probably still startles him a little when he realizes how they’ve grown.

June 15, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Time waits for no one. I look at my nieces and nephews and alot of times I can catch myself saying, I remember when you were this or that. They grow up,all we can do is hope and pray they grow up to be nice caring adults. I have a feeling with Michelle and Barack as parents Maila and Sasha will be just that. And with Grandma too.

• 71 nathkatun7
        June 15, 2012 at 9:03 pm

It is amazing how quickly children grow. I have a favorite grand niece. She moved with her mother (my niece) to DC when she had just turned seven. She is now fourteen. I went to visit with them during Easter. I was so overwhelmed at how grown and how tall she was. She is now taller than her mom. But even more amazing was how smart she was. She was such a challenge with her knowledge of history. I am sure POTUS and FLOTUS are enjoying seeing the girls grow up into young and smart ladies with so much poise. Sometimes I wonder about what kind of mentality would lead a person to hate this beautiful family. I suppose blind racism or jealousy/envy would do that.

• 72 Bill
      June 15, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Everytime I see the First Grandmother I wonder if she ever dreamed what her little girl would grow up to be. I am so glad she lives with the First Family in the WH.

• 73 Dakota
        June 15, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I love Miss Marian. I know so many no nonsense, loving, caring, supportive matriarchs just like her. I feel like I know her personally.

14. June 15, 2012 at 7:21 pm

I can never get enough of seeing the Obamas arrive home:

• 80 HZ
      June 15, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Chips, thank you so much. When I see any of his planes where they are boarding and taking off and landing , it is so powerful to witness this with a wonderful and great President of the free world. It is so awesome of a responsibility, and he takes it so seriously. It makes my heart so full and my eyes so full of joy and pride.

I love seeing him respected by the entire staff of military men and women who do show him respect as the President of the United States. It gives me a good and decent outlook especially after so many show him such little respect.

I confess, I have to often go and read books, watch videos, and watch parts of West Wing to remind me of the respect, honor that comes with his job as our POTUS. It helps me to keep myself grounded and to enjoy the true respect that should come with his job as president.

Thanks so much, Chips. I love you for taking so much time to make this beautiful haven such aJoy of Hope, Light, Respect, Love, and Family.HZ

15. 83 jackiegrumbacher
    June 15, 2012 at 7:22 pm

The photos of the young people, the tears, the joy are all that matter. Our president has done a good thing today and, like everything else he does, it came from his heart because he actually listens to people and understands and then does everything in his power to help them. This is what he has told us time and time again. He said he goes to bed every night thinking of people and wakes up every morning thinking of ways he can help. He has dealt with the worst Congress in US history and he has still triumphed. All the little asshats that try to trip him up and draw attention to themselves are so many gnats in the grass. They will fade away and what will be left–like a light in the darkness– are this remarkable president’s historic accomplishments.

• 84 HZ
      June 15, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Jackiegrumbacker, I want to say,”Thank you, Jackiegrumbacher for your generousness as well.” I did not receive a ‘Thank You Note for your second one, so I wanted to tell you how much I appreciate your kindness. I am almost there. (((((((((( Love you back so much))))))))))).HZ

I am so elated for Valarie and her lovely daughter as well. It will be so much joy, love, and great memories for all of them so enjoy. Being that his is Valarie’s daughter, I am sure that PBO will be thinking of his lovely daughters doing this some day , ofcourse long after the college celebrations. I hope all of us will be around to see our lovely Sasha and Malia do these celebrations as well. Valarie’s daughter went to Stanford, and I often wonder where our First Daughters will attend college. I am excited just thinking about it, can we even imagine how POTUS and FLOTUS are feeling.

Happy Celebration POTUS, FLOTUS and one of their closest friends, Valarie. Great celebrations for our TOD Family also who have college celebrations within your families as well. (((((((((((((((((( Happy Celebrations To All of My TOD College Graduations and Weddings))))))))))))))HZ

So many proud mothers, fathers, grandparents and family members. Enjoy the labors of your hardwork and sacrifices. This too will be much celebration to the many young women and men who today received this beautiful gift from our Wonderful and Compassionate President.HZ

• 85 theo67
      June 15, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Here, here, Jackie!

16. 86 Hachikō
    June 15, 2012 at 7:29 pm

And now I’m sobbing. God bless this president.

17. 89 theo67
    June 15, 2012 at 7:39 pm

FANTASTIC pictures! Thanks Chipsticks. The girls are getting so poised and tall – wow! They all look happy. He really is surrounded by women!

And the pictures from the various kids that are one step closer to their dream – those are so touching. President Obama actually sees the people who are affected by the things that go on in Washington. I’m glad he’ll be surrounded by friends and family this weekend after that incident this afternoon.

18. June 15, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Have you ever seen Conservatives weep for joy like that over something a Republican president did for them?

June 15, 2012 at 7:45 pm

What have a recent Republican President ever done for anyone like that? Yea they have given big tax cuts to millionaires and billionaires, but they won’t be jumping and crying. They are already filthy rich.

June 15, 2012 at 8:07 pm

What have recent Republicans Presidents done for folks like us…..N-O-T-H-I-N-G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 93 susanne
      June 15, 2012 at 9:35 pm

weep–yes. joy–no.

19. 94 Linda
    June 15, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) is $100,000 in the hole for student loans he took out in the 1990’s — and could owe as much as $250,000. The exact figure is unknown because members of Congress are allowed to report financial holdings and debts in ranges.

The Miami New Times reports Rubio spent his first year of college at Takio College on a football scholarship, but then transferred to a community college. He graduated from the University of Florida and went on to earn a law degree from University of Miami in 1996.

• 95 Bill
      June 15, 2012 at 7:49 pm

I follow college football and Takio College is not known as a major power.

• 96 Liberal Librarian
        June 15, 2012 at 7:54 pm

What the hell is Takio College?!

• June 15, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Someone made fun of that—-they looked up the record of Takio College when Rubio was supposedly playing football there—–the college is now defunct—-bankrupt as I remember—-and anyway the team won either 1 or no games. Writer said he could have been a football star with that kind of team also. Everything about Rubio has been slightly exaggerated, very much a creative history. He’s another one who has a big problem with the truth.

• 100 nathkatun7
          June 15, 2012 at 9:08 pm

You mean to say that the College is no longer around? I’ve never heard of Takio College but I will google search to see what it was all about.

20. June 15, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Valerie Jarrett has a fascinating bio. From wiki:

Jarrett was born in Shiraz, Iran to American parents James E. Bowman and Barbara Taylor Bowman. Her father, a pathologist and geneticist, ran a hospital for children in Shiraz, 1950, as part of a program where American doctors and agricultural experts sought to help jump-start developing countries’ health and farming efforts. When she was five, the family moved to London for one year, returning to Chicago in 1963.[3]
    In 1966 her mother, Barbara T. Bowman, was one of four child advocates that created the Erikson Institute. The Institute was established to provide advanced knowledge in child development for teachers and other professionals working with young children.[4]
    As a child she spoke Persian and French.[5]
    Jarrett graduated from Northfield Mount Hermon in 1974. She earned a B.A. in Psychology from Stanford University in 1978, and a Juris Doctor (J.D.) from the University of Michigan Law School in 1981.[6]
    In 1983 Jarrett married Dr. William Robert Jarrett, son of famed Chicago Sun-Times reporter Vernon Jarrett. She attributes her switch from a private to a public career to their daughter Laura’s birth and her own desire to do something that would make the daughter proud.[7]
    To one reporter’s e-mailed question about her divorce, she replied, “Married in 1983, separated in 1987, and divorced in 1988. Enough said.”[7] In a Vogue profile, she further explained “We grew up together. We were friends since childhood. In a sense, he was the boy next door. I married without really appreciating how hard divorce would be.”[7] William Jarrett died of a sudden heart attack in 1993.[7]

• 110 utaustinliberal
      June 15, 2012 at 9:14 pm

I’ve been seeing this Ad on TV all day. Makes me giddy and excited.

• 111 theo67
        June 15, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Yup – I must have seen it seven times, and each time I heard President Obama’s voice approving the message at the beginning, it made me smile. Our donations are the ones who put that ad on TV. We did that. And there are a whole lot of us out here!

21. June 15, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Liz Warren disagrees with the Presidents decision Today, also so did Scott Brown!

22. 133 Jessica
    June 15, 2012 at 7:50 pm

How cute is Sasha with the Runway to Win Vera Wang bag. So adorable.

23. June 15, 2012 at 7:50 pm
  24. 137 Dudette
    June 15, 2012 at 7:51 pm

AF1 on the ground in Chi-Town!

25. June 15, 2012 at 7:52 pm

What did the bitch Arizona Governor say?

26. 143 Liberal Librarian
    June 15, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Ok, there’s a piece for TPV welling up in me. I think I’ll have two ready for the weekend: one on my emotional reaction to today, and one on the absolutely brilliant politics of the Obama campaign. Hannibal had nothing on this guy.

June 15, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Bless you LL!

• 145 nathkatun7
      June 15, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Ah, but have you been able to find Hannibal’s birth certificate?

June 15, 2012 at 9:41 pm

LL, was last night your night to watch the Greenwald movie? Been dying to know!

• 147 Liberal Librarian
        June 15, 2012 at 9:47 pm

You know what, I gave my ticket to one of my library patrons because I was just tuckered out. I’m going to buy the DVD and watch it at home. I talked with one of the organizers today, and she said that it was a packed house, and the documentary was very very scary.

27. 150 Suzette
    June 15, 2012 at 7:54 pm

The President’s plane has landed in Chicago.

28. June 15, 2012 at 7:58 pm
  29. 159 donna dem 4 obama
    June 15, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Okay Cookemom and 57andFemale you take good care of our Family while they are in town!!

30. June 15, 2012 at 8:02 pm

The White House is declassifying information related to counter-terrorism efforts in Yemen and Somalia, according to a source familiar with the decision. After top security advisers reviewed the information in light of recent political developments in the countries, they decided releasing it would not be a threat to national security, the source said.

UPDATE: The following two paragraphs, from a letter to Congress Friday, constitute the newly declassified information:

In Somalia, the U.S. military has worked to counter the terrorist threat posed by al-Qa’ida and al-Qa’ida-associated elements of al-Shabaab.  In a limited number of cases, the U.S. military has taken direct action in Somalia against members of al-Qa’ida, including those who are also members of al Shabaab, who are engaged in efforts to carry out terrorist attacks against the United States and our interests.

The U.S. military has also been working closely with the Yemeni government to operationally dismantle and ultimately eliminate the terrorist threat posed by al-Qa’ida in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), the most active and dangerous affiliate of al-Qa’ida today.  Our joint efforts have resulted in direct action against a limited number of AQAP operatives and senior leaders in that country who posed a terrorist threat to the United States and our interests.

But but but McCain and Graham and Bolton Oh my…

31. June 15, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Frequent Amtrak rider Joe Biden is the special guest at a fundraiser benefiting the Obama campaign on Monday in Chicago, co-hosted by Steve Cohen, Thomas Hart and Sandy Stein.

The invitation is here.

Hart, a major high-speed rail proponent, noted Biden’s own interest in transit issues in an email he sent to his own network inviting people to come:

Vice President Biden was elected to the U. S. Senate from Delaware at the age of 29, becoming one of the youngest people ever elected to the United States Senate.  The young Senator commuted home to Delaware from Washington by train every night. He continued that practice for his 36 years in the Senate and from that day to this, Joe Biden has been a strong supporter of labor, transportation, technology and infrastructure.  We are pleased the Vice President will spend some quality time with our guests, ATTENDANCE IS VERY LIMITED. Contribution levels are Host $10,000; Guest $5,000.  More details will follow, but please get back to me ASAP to reserve your place at this intimate meeting with Vice President Biden.

32. 166 Dudette
    June 15, 2012 at 8:26 pm

This has absolutely nothing to do with politics… just sharing my new favorite song by my new favorite artist on my new favorite CD.
    Last video I’m posting today — scouts honor. I dare you to watch this video more than once and not sniffle…

Bronte by Gotye on Making Mirrors

33. 168 isonprize
    June 15, 2012 at 8:29 pm

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Friday’s Good!! ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

34. 171 majiir
    June 15, 2012 at 8:42 pm

The republicans are hoping to use this move by the president as a political tool, but I think it will backfire. I am happy because of two things today: that our young people who were brought to the U.S. through no fault of their own now feel more secure about their futures, and that Munro showed all Americans the racism inherent in the GOP that manifests itself in disrespect for him and the office of the president. I think many Americans have dismissed the role that racism has played in the republicans’ ugly actions and attitudes toward PBO. This puts their racism on the front burner for everyone to see, and I view this as a form of validation of what some of us have been saying. One can only address an issue if it becomes a part of our public discourse, and today, the GOP’s continuing disrespect for PBO became a part of our public discourse.

35. June 15, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Can’t. speak. heart. in. chest….out. on deck. big noise sputtering and such. Too close, WTF??!??? Jump up, look, up….da helicoptors, four of them in formation…identical OMG!! Run inside to tell family. Holler through the house, Da Plane! da planes! Hubby…What’s wrong with you!
    #1 Ma you alright? 7 year old grandson….something’s wrong with Ganna!! 14 year old granddaughter….eye roll.

It’s PBO’s, it’s his helicopters, on their way probably to Ohare airport (15 min from my house). The lead one dipped its rotor at me. PBO sent them over my house to salute me. Thank you PBO, I knew you’d find a way for us…..

• 173 Tally
      June 15, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Me = sooooo jealous!

• June 15, 2012 at 9:02 pm

My family think that I have really lost it this time. They’re in their still laughing at me. Hubby says I’m an Obama geek. #1 asks what would I do if actually given the chance to meet him, if just seeing Marine One made me act a fool. Grandson is still asking what happened to me. Granddaughter eyes still up in her head at the embarrassment that the neighbors may have heard me.

• June 15, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Man, it’s a complete thrill to see his plane, to hear his helicopter, to be near his motorcade. It’s absolutely thrilling. No doubt about that. You’re completely normal, cookemom. Meta says so.

• June 15, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Meta, I was in Dublin when PBO visited last year, he flew over my house, I filmed it but when I played it back all you could hear was me hyperventilating. Seriously, I sounded like I was about to pass out. And my thumb was over the lens. I used to think I was an ace videographer ….. until that day. :oops:

• June 15, 2012 at 9:21 pm

LOLz. So you were there? How did I not know this? Talk about a wild thrill.

He carries with him enormous charisma and magnetism. It’s just indescribable. The heart races, the breath is taken away. He is 100000% WOW.

• 178 Dudette
              June 15, 2012 at 9:21 pm

ROFL! I can soooo picture that!!

• June 15, 2012 at 9:33 pm

I feel ya Chips. I never thought I’d behave like that. It was so sudden and it took my brain awhile to tell my eyeballs what they were seeing, even though my ears had heard all the noise. Talk about sensory overload.

• June 15, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Thanks Meta. I’m in the Ohare’s flight pattern, so I’m used to hearing the planes flying pretty low. This time is was just so much racket and such a different sound that at first it scared the bejeebus outta me (think something falling out of the sky), When I saw them, my heart jumped into my throat and I didn’t know whether to get the family out so they could see them or just enjoy them myself. I tried to do both, which is why it seemed like I was going nuts right there in front of them.

• 181 yardarm756
              June 15, 2012 at 9:51 pm

They fly low so any bad guys will have difficulty shooting at them.

• June 15, 2012 at 10:00 pm

by the time airplanes are over my house they better be low or prepare for a vertical drop. Actually, I’m in the take-off runway pattern so I’m seeing them on their way up. Not sure what the Marine Ones were doing. It looked like they were just hovering over me. I’m assuming they were landing, since PBO is probably at home.

• 184 57andfemale
      June 15, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Damn! I knew I should have vacuumed! I coulda been a contender!

• 186 57andfemale
          June 15, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Last time he was in town, the helicopters flew right over me on my way home from work. I pulled over and waved.

• June 15, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Ha! There you go!

• 188 57andfemale
              June 15, 2012 at 9:51 pm

It was sooo cool. He was doing a fundraiser at the Cultural Center downtown. That used to be our main Chicago library. My husband had just picked up a restoration job there a few days before.

• June 15, 2012 at 10:15 pm

That is so awesome, cookemom and 57andfemale. What a sight and feeling of pure joy and honor to have this sight to behold. Just so awesome. Enjoy and do take very good care of our POTUS, which I know you all will do. (((((( Hugs coming into your spaces)))))) HZ

• 190 57andfemale
                  June 16, 2012 at 10:25 am

There’s something so real about a President who you know enjoys walking around a real neighborhood, getting a regular haircut, stopping for coffee to read his newspaper. Of course he can’t do all of that now, but that’s who the Obamas are. Michelle running into the grocery store to pick up milk. Living in a home in a neighborhood that looks like the United Nations. I love my town. I love that my President and I call it home.

• June 15, 2012 at 10:02 pm

too kewl… I wouldn’t have survived a fly over in the car. Traffic would be tied up for days, while they tried to wipe me off the asphalt.

• 193 theo67
            June 15, 2012 at 11:37 pm

That happened to me one day when I was trying to race on the 405 freeway to LAX (in Los Angeles) in time to see the plane land, and I was sitting in traffic feeling sorry for myself that I had missed the plane landing – when he flew right over my head with all the helicopters. I waved like a fool from the car, and felt it was a special consolation prize just for me! Then I wondered why they’re always complaining about traffic when he goes by helicopter? We have bad traffic every day!

After that, I realized that I can see the plane landing from my balcony in Marina Del Rey, and the helicopters fly right over my house (slowly). It’s a thrill every time.

• 194 57andfemale
              June 16, 2012 at 10:29 am

When you live in an urban area, many sounds are background noise. I live near the Kennedy expressway in Chicago and I know the sound of the traffic helicopters, but you just know when the sound is different, if there’s an accident on the Kennedy.

I’m on my way home that day, weaving through my side street shortcuts, and I hear helicopters and it’s just not the same sound. It’s not the bad accident helicopter sound either. And then I looked up. It was so cool.

• 195 theo67
                June 16, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Yup – the Presidential helicopters sound very different from any others. Very loud. Always cool.

• 196 Pamela
      June 15, 2012 at 10:22 pm

{{{{{{{{{{{{{cookemom}}}}}}}}}}}}}}. Eeeekkkkk! Hey, isnt this your birthday too? Are the Obamas in town for yo’ par-Tay? I can feel your excitement al the way hour here in Seattle and I know EXACTLY what you mean! I nearly fell off the balcony last month when the motorcade came right down the hill towards me! And the magnitude of the energy lasted for nearly a week!

• June 15, 2012 at 10:35 pm

My birthday was on the 9th, but hey, I’m always up for a party. I’m glad I wasn’t on a balcony….kerplop! Nuff said.

• 198 Pamela
          June 15, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Oh, no, oh dear, did I miss it? Or did I offer a sincere and humble happy belated burfday to you greeting? Some of my days are very much like the next one, and the last one….

• 199 theo67
      June 15, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Oh – so sweet! First, thanks for sharing the experience, I felt breathless like I was there running through the house with you. And secondly, I can completely relate to the eye roll, having a 14 year old niece – they seem to be experts at the ennui! How brilliant – so glad they’re safe and sound in Chicago, and they have a wonderful weekend together in their old house, among their old friends, celebrating something absolutely fantastic.

I also think they were saluting you – makes sense…

• 200 Pamela
        June 15, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Yes, I had a little reminder of this 14 yr old gift, when I was back East, not to me, but a little to her momma, my lovely niece also displayed a tiny bit of eye rolling, maybe more when no one was looking! But this conversation makes me chuckle, to picture Malia must have plenty of raw material from PBO to roll her pretty brown eyes over! Hee!

36. June 15, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I see that Willard is saying—-now that you mention it, Obama’s new immigration policy is exactly like his—-he’s in complete agreement—-that’s his plan too!!! This is according to a late statement by his top adviser.

June 15, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Mitt Romney has some mental issues. Ann Romney said his father was crazy, watching Mitt these few months I believe Ann.

• 203 nathkatun7
      June 15, 2012 at 9:31 pm

I told you so! Read my take on the previous post. This guy is shameless.

• 204 nathkatun7
        June 15, 2012 at 9:36 pm

By the way, didn’t he, in one of those endless Republican primary debates, promise to veto the Dream Act? If I am correct, Romney really has no respect for the intelligence of the American people. He is so certain than he can say something to day and by tomorrow he can change that because we would all have forgotten what he said the day before.

• 205 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
          June 15, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Yes nath, without hesitation, he stated in Dec 2011 that he would veto the Dream Act if Congress passed it …

#PRESSON

• 207 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      June 15, 2012 at 10:15 pm

#FORWARD

37. 208 Tally
    June 15, 2012 at 8:56 pm

#UnacceptableTreatmentOfObama is trending on Twitter. Search it. re tweet the good ones til your fingers bleed.

38. 220 Tally
    June 15, 2012 at 9:08 pm

This just made me laugh so hard! WELL DONE!

39. June 15, 2012 at 9:17 pm
  40. June 15, 2012 at 9:21 pm
  41. June 15, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Well, this is seriously depressing: I’ve just learnt that me and Neil Munro have something in common …. we’re both History & Politics graduates of University College Dublin. I’ll be back in a bit, I just need to burn my degree.

• 234 Dudette
      June 15, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Don’t fret a lick, Chips! You earned yours. He probably paid somebody to take his classes for him. That rat bastid!

• 236 Dakota
      June 15, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Chips, you have NOTHING in common with that POS. And HE should be the one burning HIS degree…if he really received one!

• 237 lisalovesobama
      June 15, 2012 at 9:33 pm

i apologize for laughing so hard, Chips. I promise you, as soon as I realized what I was doing, I scolded myself and I truly empathize. I seriously feel your pain. That guy’s a Grade A Ass. Think of it this way,
      1) if he graduated the same year as you, he stole that degree
      2) if he graduated before you, then the standards of the school got higher by the time you got there
      3) if he graduated after you, good riddance, sometimes schools don’t meet the standards they should.
      Hopefully this makes you feel better.

• June 15, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Not to worry, the University is demanding that he return his post haste. They have already removed his name from the records. While your name is most likely prominently displayed throughout those distinguished halls of learning.

• 243 57andfemale
      June 15, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Blech…….

• 244 Liberal Librarian
      June 15, 2012 at 9:51 pm

You do not burn a degree from a school attended by James Joyce. I shall be very cross with you.

• 249 theo67
      June 15, 2012 at 11:51 pm

If President Obama and Michelle aren’t burning their Harvard degrees after finding that a lying loser like Romney shares their alma mater, then you can keep your degree, Chipsticks. There have to be some rotten apples in the bunch.

42. 250 VotingPoet
    June 15, 2012 at 9:25 pm

So glad to have the President and family back to Chi town. Peace, J

43. June 15, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Guittierez is happy-

Thankfully! It takes a lot to make Luis Happy.

44. June 15, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Big Day of action This weekend in Florida, about 3-400 teams registering People to vote.
    We average about 1k when we have events like these.
    I only get about 5 myself, but all together, it’s puts a dent in the Registration numbers we will need to win Florida.
    Wish us luck…

45. 260 Betsy
    June 15, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I am so proud of our great president. He’s always one step ahead of us. I have not been disappointed in him at all.

46. June 15, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Good evening everyone! Yes, it was a great day. The best part was it just came out of nowhere! Our President is the best!

47. 262 criquet
    June 15, 2012 at 9:50 pm

This is an attack an Obama Super Pac should hammer from now until November imo-it is really scary to think that Romney could become President backed by Adelson and Chinese money:

June 15, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Good Morning folks. :)

So how are the spanish stations reacting to what-a-day? Shouts of Ole, Ole ? Anybody check ?

49. June 15, 2012 at 9:52 pm
  50. 266 Liberal Librarian
    June 15, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Ok, I’m getting to be an old softie today. Maybe it was the great kids I had this morning for a class visit. Maybe it was that I smoothly handled a rather unsavory situation at work — and was told I did a great job. Definitely because of what Pres. Obama did today, and the upwelling of support it engendered. But I want to say I love each and every one of you. You are all good, kind, decent people, and we ARE the future of this country. (Even the furriners like amk.)

Now I’m going to go make a gimlet.

June 15, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Awww…thank you, LL. We love you back. Really. We even love that furriner, amk :) Enjoy the gimlet….I have to go do some night time yard work….pick up some piles and plant some flowers. Getting too hot to work in the day, and next week will be worse. Into the 114 degree area, and I hate working in that shit.Too hot…so I become a little vampire in the summer. Do everything at night…grocery shop, garden,swim…all of it.

• 268 Liberal Librarian
        June 15, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Meanwhile I live close to the coast and we have our usual morning and evening June gloom. Love it love it.

• June 15, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Last time I was in AZ, I thought I’d stepped into a microwave. Don’t know how you do it. I love my summer morning/evening fog.

• 270 Pamela
      June 15, 2012 at 10:28 pm

We love you back, LL, just you stay away from that Bombay Sapphire stuff amk is always going on about! :lol:

• June 15, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Love you back! I love that you are a librarian because the library was my total sanctuary while earning my degrees. I love that you enjoy your job and your gimlets. I love that you are such a great supporter of PBO, enough so that you put time and energy into writing for our cause.

51. June 15, 2012 at 9:59 pm

No Rachel Maddow tonight, instead – Lockup Mars! Or some BS…

52. 277 57andfemale
    June 15, 2012 at 10:00 pm
    • 283 thoughtful3
      June 15, 2012 at 10:04 pm

love it! ;-)

• 284 amk for obama
        June 15, 2012 at 10:07 pm

One of fav ‘bands’ in my college days. Yes, I am that old.

• 285 thoughtful3
          June 15, 2012 at 10:32 pm

i love many of their songs too, even though slightly “before my time”; i have an “old soul” though, i mainly only listen to “oldies” music–it’s the best, what can i say? lol ;-)

• 286 Pamela
          June 15, 2012 at 10:33 pm

I was in high school, and yes, has there EVER been anyone quite like Art Garfunkel? Whew. He is a.m.a.z.i.n.g….

• 287 yardarm756
      June 15, 2012 at 10:09 pm

That’s when music was………

• 288 Walking_on_ Sunshine
      June 16, 2012 at 12:07 am

When I was a young teenager I used babysit for my sister’s kids. After they went to bed I would play Simon and Garfunkel’s Greatest Hits Album. I loved it. I still love their music.

53. 289 donna dem 4 obama
    June 15, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Tomorrow is a big Voter Registration Day of Action for the O’Campaign.

Please consider stopping by your local OFA office to help with this endeavor. Registering voters is fun, fulfilling and so very important to this campaign.

From the campaign:

Volunteers will be getting together to take part in the GottaVote Weekend of Action on June 16th and 17th. Folks will be out talking to friends and neighbors to make sure that everyone who can is registered to vote.

Find an event near you and RSVP to take part.

A mini-word from Donna Dem.

TOD, there is no time like the present. Waiting until the campaign heats up or the convention or after labor day will actually be too late for some states who cut off voter registration in September.

The campaign needs you NOW. So please give some consideration to getting up and getting out this weekend to bring a new voter onto the voter rolls that will help re-elect PBO this November. Grab a friend, a spouse, a neighbor, a relative or come alone and come on down. Your talents are desperately needed.

June 15, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Maybe Americans need their memories refreshed.

Confronted with the president’s landmark announcement, Mitt Romney attempted to whitewash his draconian immigration views during a campaign stop in New Hampshire today. Romney told reporters that he “agrees with Marco Rubio,” who has proposed a DREAM Act alternative.
    This newfound belief is a far cry from his views during the primary campaign. Here are Romney’s top 5 comments on immigration during the Republican primary:

1. Romney attacked Governor Rick Perry for supporting the DREAM Act, calling it a “magnet for illegal immigration.”

2. Romney pledged to veto the DREAM Act:

3. Romney promised to make life so miserable for undocumented immigrants that they would “self-deport.”

4. Romney rebuffed undocumented young woman who was brought to the U.S. at age 10 and had a 4.0 grade-point average:

5. Romney consults author of extreme anti-immigrant legislation on immigration issues:

55. 291 yardarm756
    June 15, 2012 at 10:07 pm

The Prez and family are now at a neighbor BBQ a coupla blocks from their house per our local news here.

• 292 thoughtful3
      June 15, 2012 at 10:19 pm

good from them. i’m glad they’re getting this time away from it all, just to be at home and be themselves…i know they’re always “themselves”, but you know what i mean

• 293 donna dem 4 obama
      June 15, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Yardarm, I read your “chili” story before I left work this evening. I laughed so hard until I was in tears. It just kept getting better and better. I could do no more work after reading it so I left and went home with a big ole smile on my face. I thank you sir!

June 15, 2012 at 10:30 pm

yardarm756, great news. I hope Michelle, Barack, Grandma, Sasha, Malia all enjoy themselves. I can only imagine what it must be like for them to be in their own house. Bless them all.

56. 298 idon
    June 15, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Just because hairless chimps like neil munro look human is no reason not to muzzle and chain them when in the presence of the President of the United States.

57. 299 thoughtful3
    June 15, 2012 at 10:22 pm

btw, chipsticks, once in a while i just like to drop you a “thank you”; this place is a real oasis, away from all the madness & mayhem, lol :-)