Jun

g20

President Obama arrives at the G20 Summit in Los Cabos

NYT: President Obama and his Russian counterpart, Vladimir V. Putin, finally had their face-to-face meeting on Monday, as Mr. Obama pressed Mr. Putin to work with him to ease President Bashar al-Assad of Syria out of power, a move increasingly viewed by the West as the only way to end the bloodshed that has been under way there for more than a year.

But after a two-hour meeting, it was unclear whether Mr. Obama had had any success bringing Mr. Putin around. “We agreed that we need to see a cessation of the violence, that a political process has to be created to prevent civil war,” Mr. Obama said, sitting next to the Russian leader.

Mr. Putin said, “We have found many common points on this issue.” He said the two countries would continue discussions.

Mr. Obama described the meeting — rescheduled after Mr. Putin canceled his trip to an economic summit meeting Mr. Obama hosted at Camp David last month — “candid, thoughtful and thorough.”

…. with French President Francois Hollande

… with Australian PM Julia Gillard

…. with Argentine President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner

… with Mexican President Felipe Calderon

From yesterday:

172 Responses to “g20”

1. 1 Proud Former White House Intern
    June 18, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Hello!

2. 12 vitaminlover
    June 18, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Wht I like is the expression on President Obama’s face in the first picture. It looks cool, calm and confident. Wow!! What a man!!

• 13 theo67
      June 18, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I was thinking the same thing – and in the car, too. He’s just so comfortable in that job – Leading the Free World. and most of the world’s comfortable with him in that job, too.

He always looks devilishly handsome when he’s a little sun-kissed.

• June 18, 2012 at 8:27 pm

That picture with Putin is painful to look at. I don’t think they hit it off. I’m not surprised. Putin’s a despot.

• June 19, 2012 at 9:56 am

I noticed that too Hachiko, Putin is certainly no Medvedev (sp). I don’t think he will be PBO’s favorite world leader to work with, but Obama is the consumate professional and will respect him even if it is difficult.

• June 19, 2012 at 1:04 am

Is it just me or are Putin’s hands kind of little?

3. 17 Dudette
    June 18, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I’m loving that last pic of my President in the car. Aye, aye, aye!!

4. 22 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    June 18, 2012 at 7:18 pm

#GroversRover ….

#PRESSON

5. 24 Roberta in MN
    June 18, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I think Putin met his match. President Obama does not fool around. Like the looks they were giving each other. :) we have on cool dude for a President.
    Good Evening everyone and Chips.

• June 18, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Was going to make a similar comment Roberta. Putin looks evil and our President looks very strong and fearless. Love our Prez.

• 26 joyfulmeme
        June 18, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I thought the same thing about the first picture. PBO is looking him directly in the eyes as if to get a inward view of who this man is. No flinching , no fear. I’m loving it.

• 27 utaustinliberal
      June 18, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Yup. That first picture definitely tells a lot. Pres. Obama wasn’t there to joke. He meant business and Putin saw that because the meeting on Syria went on for hours.

6. 28 itgurl_29
    June 18, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Looks like a GQ editorial spread about a President. Hot!

June 18, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Good evening ladies and gentlemen of TODville, I’m here now! Have I missed anything earth-shattering so far today?

Congrats PFI on your 1st place finish.

• June 18, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Well would ya look who it is – helloooooooooo VC!

June 18, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Dia uit, CC! :lol: :lol: :lol: Yep, it’s moi, and it’s really good to see you! Any ACA news today?

• June 18, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Go raibh míle maith agat VC! :-) There’s talk now that the ACA ruling might be on Wednesday, but I don’t know if anyone knows for sure.

June 18, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Okay. Thanks. :grin: Off to check out what’s new on Twitter. Back soon.

• 43 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
            June 18, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Good evening Chips,

This is what is currently posted on the SCOTUS blog:

“Editor’s Note :
            On Thursday we expect one or more opinions in argued cases. We will begin live blogging shortly before ten o’clock.”

Irrespective of the nature of the decision, it seemed unlikely they would release it this morning, along with the 4 decisions they announced, with the President attending G20.

#PRESSON

• June 18, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Thanks for that Bob, it would have been very strange for any decision to be announced while PBO was in Mexico. Could be a long week. Thanks again.

8. June 18, 2012 at 7:22 pm

i am sorry but i know i have to work hard to get my president elected a second time

9. June 18, 2012 at 7:22 pm

My President looks extra hawt in all of those pics.

10. 67 LOL
    June 18, 2012 at 7:25 pm

The media is so butt hurt over the Putin meeting! What? Were they expecting Putin to curse PBO out? The pool report said during the Prez’s comments, Putin sat expressionless, looking down at his feet and biting his lip. Everyone is Dr. Phil these days.

11. 68 whatisworking
    June 18, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Greeting TODers

Have been in SF all day but am anxious to share stories with you now that I am back.

U.S. Solar Power Will Increase 75 Percent This Year

12. 70 ChristiMTL
    June 18, 2012 at 7:28 pm

I just read an article about Roberto Unger, the man that Chris Hayes wants on his show, after the recommendation of Glenn Greenwald. He actually praised him, it was posted here but I don’t remember his tweet, it was disgusting anyway.

”Harvard Law School professor Roberto Mangabeira Unger hopes that his former student, President Barack Obama, is defeated at the polls this November”

”Under admits that Obama’s defeat would cost the nation in “judicial and administrative appointments,” but those costs, he said, aren’t so great as those of an Obama victory.”

“Unless he is defeated, there cannot be a contest for the reorientation of the Democratic Party as the vehicle of a progressive alternative in the country,” Unger concludes.

”Unger, an author, philosopher and two-time Brazilian presidential candidate, supported President Obama in 2008.”

Ok, what is it with Brazil? Another hater……

MSMBC executives knew exactly what they were doing when they gave Chris Hayes his show……..

• June 18, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Sometimes I see Hayes having a Twitter love-in with Greenwald and I feel physically ill. All these guys seem in awe of Greenwald, or maybe they’re just afraid of him, he’s such a vile bully. They crave a pat on the head from him, and Hayes is one of the most pathetic offenders.

• 72 theo67
      June 18, 2012 at 7:34 pm

This infuriates me. I knew I didn’t like Chris Hayes for a reason. No thought to the devastating impact to people’s lives around he world – all in the effort to bring about their progressive Utopia. What point is there in being a “progressive” if you would rather go backwards and suffer needlessly, in order to endlessly pursue your fantasy ponies? They never want to win and be forced to fulfill the promises they purport to stand for – they just want to perpetually campaign on disappointment. They drain the energy from a movement, and leave it exhausted and demoralized. Better to cast them out.

• June 18, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Hayes is no “progressive.” He’s an insecure little twerp who feels extremely and personally threatened by President Obama. His embrace of this “Libertarian” ideology speaks to a high level narcissism tinged with bigotry that plagues his hollow soul.

• June 18, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Was he a visiting professor at Harvard when PBO was there? I find it very improbably that he would be among the tenured teaching staff since he’s a raving radical leftist.

• 75 Bill
        June 18, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Check is Wikipedia entry. I had never heard of him, but he seems to be off the charts. He gained tenure in 1976 at the age of 29. I don’t get it.

• 76 Pamela
      June 18, 2012 at 9:23 pm

2 – time Brazilian presidential candidate, means he lost TWICE. Fine choice of critic in this interview, eh?

13. June 18, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Can anyone here even imagine Romney in this setting? He is so week and clueless. Putin would walk all over him.

14. June 18, 2012 at 7:31 pm

FLOTUS does the double dutch, Laura did the do-si-do! Yee Haw!!!

15. 81 whatisworking
    June 18, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Switching to a Green Economy Could Mean Millions of Jobs

16. 82 whatisworking
    June 18, 2012 at 7:32 pm

12-Year-Old Starts Recycling Business, Donates Profits to Charity

17. 83 vitaminlover
    June 18, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I am here to say that Putin has NOTHING I repeat NOTHING on our President Obama.

18. 86 whatisworking
    June 18, 2012 at 7:34 pm

For any Vet who needs job

Summer Jobs+ Bank

19. 87 whatisworking
    June 18, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Public Understanding Of Climate Science Rebounds, 72% of Independents Say There Is ‘Solid Evidence’ Of Global Warming

20. 88 whatisworking
    June 18, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Bus-ted: Romney takes anti-clean energy stance to six states with 418k green jobs

21. 90 LOL
    June 18, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Just like clockwork. Politico has an article about “the greens” not being enthusiastic about PBO. First it was “the gays” then PBO said he supported gay marriage, then it was “the hispanics” then PBO made the directive for immigrant children…now we are back to the greens. Next week its gonna be the blacks.

• June 18, 2012 at 7:42 pm

You gotta love their predictability LOL :roll:

• June 18, 2012 at 7:48 pm

These corporate media thugs at Politico and elsewhere harbor a special kind of emotional bankruptcy and spiritual ugliness to devote 100% of their occupation towards tearing down a single individual – an individual who has done nothing but demonstrated competence, compassion, kindness, humanity in his daily life and work.

• 93 nathkatun7
      June 18, 2012 at 8:01 pm

They’ve already said that about “the blacks” after the President came out in favor of same sex marriage.

22. 94 LadyTNT
    June 18, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Hey TOD peeps!! I just finished watching Mrs. O on Live with Kelly!! It was great and she is the BEST!! However, something I saw really has me worried. During the cooking segment when they were eating, am I the only one that saw her hand shaking when she was eating? I am not concern trolling or anything like that. Matter of fact, I hope my eyes are playing tricks on me. Did I really see this and do you guys think it is something wrong. The only reason I ask is because I know her dad had MS. I feel like, I didn’t see that because she had just been jumping double dutch in the previous segment. Please tell me I’m crazy and I didn’t see that or that it’s not a sign of anything bad happening in the future. It’s really bothering me, otherwise I would not have said anything.

• June 18, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Hands shake for all sorts of reasons other than MS. Extra caffeine, nerves, medication, familial essential tremor, etc..

And even if it’s that – she probably knows about it and is doing whatever she needs to do to take care of it. It’s not preventing her from doing her job as FIRST LADY, or taking care of her girls.

• 98 LadyTNT
      June 18, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I shouldn’t have ever wrote this. I think I’m overreacting. I just love and admire them so much, that I look at every little thing. Chips can you delete that post for me. Thanks!! I will go back to lurking now!!

• 99 sabreen60
        June 18, 2012 at 10:15 pm

My hands shake when I haven’t eaten. I’ve had the shakes for years and years. Doctors simply tell me to eat. And my reply is always to same. “You must want me to weigh 500 pounds.” But seriously, if I go too long without eating, my hands tend to shake.

• 100 LOL
      June 18, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I saw it…but I don’t think its MS. More like she was trying to make sure the food went in her mouth. You usually develop MS in your 20s and 30s like Jack Osbourne, not in the 50s like Ann Romney.

• 101 LadyTNT
        June 18, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Thanks LOL, I feel better now. I probably should have done research before posting.

• 102 SueBee
          June 18, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Maybe it was just nerves..but I can understand your concern. In my mind they are part of my family..lol :D

• 103 carolyn
            June 18, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I have two very good friends with MS. Shakyhands is not one of their symptoms. Walking is the first thing they had trouble with. This seems to affect the larger muscles more.
            If she was shaking a little, I just assume nerves. She has to do so much in front of so many people…..

• 104 LOL
          June 18, 2012 at 8:31 pm

No problem..but having someone in your family that has/had MS gives you a higher probability of getting it. Let’s keep the Obamas and all of our fellow TODers in prayer and thoughts.

• June 18, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Hiya LadyTNT, I don’t think you’re concern trolling at all, it’s an obvious concern when MS has been in the First Lady’s family. I had a look at the video at http://obamafoodorama.blogspot.ie/2012/06/first-lady-michelle-obama-talks-lets.html and I could see a slight ‘tremor’ at first – it’s not so clear in this video:

But she was fine after that. Knowing less than nothing about these things, my guess is that it’s just nervousness – brilliantly as she comes over on every TV appearance she does, I still don’t think she’s hugely at ease doing them and often feels quite nervous. I can relate! When I’m nervous in company at meals, I sometimes get that little hand tremor too, it’s a tension/nervousness thing, and it only goes away when I relax – or have a glass of wine!

• 106 itgurl_29
        June 18, 2012 at 8:21 pm

If I had to eat and try to look halfway elegant while the whole country was watching, my hands would probably shake a little bit too, lol!

• June 18, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Ha, me too!!! Actually, I’d miss my mouth completely with my fork!

• June 18, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Plus FLOTUS probably took in some extra caffiene with all that across-time zone travel she’s been doing the last few days:)

Caffiene + sleep deprivation = tremor.

• 109 Dudette
            June 18, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Bingo!

Imagine being in such a spotlight that people notice a little hand tremble when you’re trying to put salad in your mouth on national tv. Sheesh! This woman is the essence of grace and poise. Let’s cut her some slack and try not to start online whisper campaigns about what’s probably nothing. It’s like when she had a little bit of a tummy pooch one day and next thing you’re hear is people speculating that she might be pregnant… blah, blah, blah. They really don’t need that added to all the other stuff they have to deal with. I love them like they’re family too, but I try (emphasis on “try”) not to put my loved ones’ stuff, especially imagined stuff, out in the street for other people to speculate over either. ‘kay, that’s my half a cent. Love ya, LTNT.

• 110 LadyTNT
              June 18, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Thanks Dudette, I definitely don’t want to add extra pressure on them. I wish I would have never wrote it, but after I watched and went to the store and everything, it was still on my mind. And it may be selfish, but I needed some reassurance that nothing is wrong and I knew I could come here and ask you guys and you would tell me the truth. It was only after I posted it, that I felt embarrassed and that I was overreacting. My family, friends, and others are always poking fun at me about my love for the Obamas. I’m kinda a little self conscious about it because I have never been like this about public figures in my life and try to make sure I stay in the loyal supporter realm and never cross into that stalker type shit, LOL!! Love ya too, Dudette!

• June 18, 2012 at 8:21 pm

She was probably trying to avoid spilling the stuff on her fork!!

• 113 LadyTNT
        June 18, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Thanks Chips, SueBee, Itgurl, and Meta!! You guys have really eased my anxiety. I don’t know why it never occurred to me that it could be nerves. I just see her as so poised and down to earth that I never thought about it. When I’m nervous, my stomach goes all wacky and I shake and if it’s really bad, I will dry heave. It’s crazy!! Thanks for being so understanding because I love this blog and never want to bring doom and gloom. Sorry for my freak out!! OK, back to great info, naughty mats, and all that good stuff!!

• June 18, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Maybe she was trying to shake off some sauce? who knows?

• 116 nathkatun7
      June 18, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Wow! What a warm, inspiring, and caring graduation speech. Thank you so much Chipsticks for everything you do. Without you, I probably would not have been able to view and listen to FLOTUS’ wonderful commencement speech. Sometimes I wonder about the people who hate this wonderful family that’s seems to embody all the best in humanity.

• June 18, 2012 at 8:40 pm

You’re so welcome nathkatun7! It was by pure chance I found the video on YouTube, I missed the speech so was thrilled to be able to hear it. Adore her.

June 18, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I have listen to the speech three times, plus I saw it when she first gave the speech, and I am about to listen to it again. Because FLOTUS was wonderful, she is wonderful and I admire and think the world of our First Lady.

23. 119 Bill R.
    June 18, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Seeing the picture of PBO with Putin reminded me of how GWB’s meeting with Putin where he emerges and claims he “looked into his soul” and proclaimed him someone he could trust. I believe our President knows how to negotiate and do business with someone he can’t trust.

24. June 18, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Putin looks like he’s thinking, “I’ve met my match.”

25. 127 whatisworking
    June 18, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Over the past few weeks I have been thinking about how important it is that the President and First Lady apear on “prime time” shows, like Kelly Ripa, Letterman, iCarly, etc. This is what the average voter watches and relates to. I am also going to CBS whenever I am feeling brave and bringing over any POSITIVE stories.

This one on the President and Putin was good

Obama, Putin call for “cessation of violence” in Syria

26. 128 SueBee
    June 18, 2012 at 8:14 pm

27. June 18, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I read on Twitter that Tweety ripped Willard apart in his “let me finish” segment. Anyone saw it?

• 130 SueBee
      June 18, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I did..it was very good. I agree with Tweety about twice a month..

• June 18, 2012 at 8:22 pm

LOL – I was just about to say that for the next four days, it will be back to Obama bashing with his sidekick Howard Fineman.

• 132 carolyn
        June 18, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Agree…..Tweety was terrific today.

• 133 Obama Grandmama
          June 19, 2012 at 12:47 pm

CM has made me so mad I quit programming his show on my Tivo. Wouldn’t you know just when I didn’t watch him! He turns so quickly and is so unpredictable I can’t take a chance on him ruining my day.

• 134 utaustinliberal
      June 18, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Yes he did! It was hilarious. Chris does NOT like Romney. He despises him. Not personally but character wise, policy wise, and politics wise. He filleted him.

• 136 daiseymay1
      June 18, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Tweety really hates Mitt and he just gets stronger about it. I send him love when he does. Few on MSM do so I ackowledge his Mitt critiques.

28. June 18, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I saw a mention earlier about Ann Romney and her MS, and I had been reading earlier about Jack Osbourne and the symptoms of MS.

My question has always been whether Ann Romney would even be up to handling the stress of the First Lady job? She’d have to be there for a lot of things, no matter what. I know they would not be as hard on her as they are on Michelle, but even so – I don’t think she could do it.

Thank God we won’t have to find out what kind of anything she’d be – but I wonder why Mitt decided to run (again) with her health as it is?

June 18, 2012 at 8:26 pm

June 18, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Saw this on twitter and felt sure some TODobots would appreciate the truth of it. ;)

31. June 18, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Here is Tweety’s “let me finish” segment. Got it from BWD’s tweet. This should be a good one.

32. 159 isonprize
    June 18, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Just dropping in to say

“We have the SMARTEST, MOST CARING, and BEST LOOKING PRESIDENT EVER!!!!

June 18, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Look at the crowd in MI today on the Capital steps for the reading of the “Vagina Monologues” Picture was taken by Michigan’s own Eclectablog!

34. 162 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    June 18, 2012 at 8:39 pm

#GroversRover …

#PRESSON

35. June 18, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Women with *vision*…

Imagine seeing a hundred times as many shades of color than the vast majority of other people.

Well, if you’re a woman, you may already be that perceptive — visually, at least. =)

36. June 18, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Must be a billionaire thing. He should stick to regulating soda. UGH:

(CBS News) New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who has yet to offer a presidential endorsement and has been courted by both President Obama and Mitt Romney, was overheard offering his opinions of the presidential candidates.

The New York Times reported that two people overheard Bloomberg saying he believed Romney would probably be better at running the country than Mr. Obama.

However, the Times said the people within earshot of the mayor said he could not support Romney because he disagreed with him on so many social issues, including on abortion and guns. One guest added that Bloomberg then said he planned to remain neutral this year.

The mayor’s office declined to comment on the report. …

37. 169 lamh35
    June 18, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Alright, had a great time in NOLA with the fam. Glad to be back home though. Missed the majority of the poltical news, but I’m glad. I feel a little more rejuvenated.

Anyway, fudge Ann Romeny, FLOTUS is the best

38. June 18, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Ohhhhhhhh, ahhhhh, ummmmm Rachel comes back from vacation and talks about, wait for it…, Ron Paul.
    Yuck!
    Can’t she do better?

• 172 Nena20409
      June 18, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Not from vacation. She had laryngitis.

The so called Liberal Hosts do not coordinate their shows like Fox does. Their scattered programs makes it harder for other network to pick up their issues. Stand Your ground took almost 2 weeks. The WI sit-out took weeks before Ed Schultz was able to get it nationally.

RSS OFA