Jun

Rise and Shine

President Obama waves to the media after landing at the airport in Los Cabos, June 17

All times ET

11:05: The President attends a bilateral meeting with President Calderón of Mexico

12:15: Attends a bilateral meeting with President Putin of Russia

4:45: Arrives at the Convention Center and participates in the official arrival greet with President Calderón of Mexico

5:00: Attends the first G-20 plenary session

8:15: Participates in the official photo with leaders

8:45: Participates in a working dinner with G-20 leaders

Cagle

Steve Benen: President Obama’s announcement on immigration policy clearly has sweeping implications. The substance of the measure, which will benefit hundreds of thousands of families, is what matters most, but it’s an election year and moves like these affect the electoral landscape in a big way – especially for the president’s opponent.

While Obama’s willingness to implement the goals of the DREAM Act is likely to boost his support among Latino voters, Republican Mitt Romney has found himself in a far more uncomfortable position. This was evident on yesterday’s “Face the Nation” where he didn’t want to talk about the president’s move.

Four times CBS’s Bob Schieffer asked whether Romney, if elected, would keep Obama’s new policy in place and four times Romney refused to give a straight answer.

Full post here

Cagle

McClatchy

Daily Beast: What really happened at the Obama fundraiser at Sarah Jessica Parker’s house? … it was Bravo host Andy Cohen who stole the show when he played Plead the Fifth with the president …. Under the rules of the game, Cohen asks the guests three questions, and they get to plead the fifth only on one of them.

Obama asked: “Are you going to give me all three questions up front?” When Cohen said no, the president, gesturing to aides, replied: “Well, there are going to be some nervous people in the back of the room.”

Undeterred, Cohen launched into his first question, an easy one: “What’s your best perk? You know, like having beers with Hillary Clinton or being able to call any person in the world in the middle of the night?”

Obama said the best perk of the presidency for him was the Truman Balcony, because he got to sit out there with his wife on their “date night” and look at the view.

Then came what the world of fashion and entertainment would consider a curveball: “Choose an outfit that Michelle wears that you don’t like. What is it and why?”

“I plead the fifth!” the president said, to hearty laughter.

“Now I want to know what it is,” Michelle Obama said.

“No way. I’m not crazy,” her husband said.

Full post here

Morning everyone

243 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 Proud Former White House Intern
    June 18, 2012 at 8:50 am

GM All!

2. 7 Cheryllou
    June 18, 2012 at 8:51 am

GM. Congrats Proud Former White House Intern on being #1

3. 10 Pamela
    June 18, 2012 at 8:53 am

G’day!

4. 17 TrumpDog
    June 18, 2012 at 8:53 am

“I plead the fifth!” the president said, to hearty laughter.

“Now I want to know what it is,” Michelle Obama said.

“No way. I’m not crazy,” her husband said.

HA!!!!!
    See, I told yopu my president is smart. :-D

Being at the fundraiser makes me love Andy Cohen even more. Sarah too.

5. 20 TrumpDog
    June 18, 2012 at 8:54 am

Love the 1st pic of First Lady getting the honorary degree.

6. 23 Geeja
    June 18, 2012 at 9:02 am

Youmg Barack was rocking those sun glasses !

June 18, 2012 at 9:02 am

This is huge guys. This is HUGE news! Score one for team Obama!

8. 32 Suzette
    June 18, 2012 at 9:03 am

Good morning all.
    It is a very rainy day in Jamaica, but we are happy to have some rain, it was too hot and dry.

• 33 Hachikō
      June 18, 2012 at 9:35 am

Hi Suzette. I was born and raised on that little piece of heaven. What parish are you in?

• 34 Suzette
        June 18, 2012 at 9:48 am

Hi Hachikō. Born right under “the clock” – Kingston, but living in Portmore now.
        Nice to meet another Obama fan on the best Obama blog around.

• June 18, 2012 at 11:48 am

Enjoying the sun and rain here too. It is a beautiful Island nation. I was born in kingston, raised in Canada but lived in Portmore for 5 years back in the 70\’s. Right now I am on holidays and happy to be see that I can still enjoy TOD. Love seeing fellow Ja\’ers here.

almablanca

9. June 18, 2012 at 9:14 am

I will trade places with you. It is supposed to be 113 today here in Phoenix.

• June 18, 2012 at 9:19 am

Hot and sunny in these here parts of Trinidad.

• 41 japa21
        June 18, 2012 at 9:22 am

Don’t worry Chips. It’s a dry heat…kind of like an oven is dry heat.

• June 18, 2012 at 9:25 am

:-) I’m one of those strange creatures who prefers the cold, so all these 100+ temperatures being mentioned bring tears to my eyes.

• June 18, 2012 at 9:28 am

I’m with you! I’m a Fall person. Could never live in that kind of heat. We get lots of sunshine here but there’s almost always a cool breeze that goes with it.

• June 18, 2012 at 9:38 am

My weather buddy! I worked one summer in New York and I’m still recovering. All that leaving air conditioned offices to be hit by an inferno at the door ….. :cry:

• 45 utaustinliberal
                June 18, 2012 at 9:44 am

You think NY in the summer is hot? I’d take NY any day anytime. Have you ever tried Texas weather in the summer? It’s not just dry heat….oh no… it’s the freaking humidity. 100, 102, 105, 108, 115 degree weather in TX in the summer! You leave the house and 2 minutes after that you feel as though you’re in a sauna/steam room. The humidity; especially in Houston is insane. You’re parched, soaked, constantly cranking the a.c. on. And don’t get me started on Dallas weather in the summer. A woman’s feet got super burned through her flip flops last summer. It was bad. Real bad.

• June 18, 2012 at 9:48 am

But, seriously, these extremes mean there is no such thing as global warming!

• June 18, 2012 at 9:50 am

My definition of a nightmare, UT. I just couldn’t function, the humidity would flatten me. Actuallty, even thinking about it makes me dream of snow.

• 48 sabreen60
                    June 18, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Afternoon Chips and TOD.

Ok, so I’m the odd woman out. I literally cannot stand cold weather. I hat the snow (it’s pretty to look at when it’s fresh) and I definitely hate the ice storms. Cold hurts. I don’t like either extremes, but here in Maryland I can deal with the 90+ days we have during the summer. I would love to live in Barbados. I never want to live anywhere that gets colder than Maryland.

• 49 sabreen60
                      June 18, 2012 at 12:53 pm

“HATE the snow” – HAT the snow. Geez. People like me need the “edit” feature.

• 50 symmetry11
                      June 18, 2012 at 1:07 pm

We can be odd together @sabren60. I am no fan of cold weather. I don’t like to see old man winter coming. I grew up in Michigan…cold & snow….hated it. My entire family still lives there, but I will only visit during the summer months.

• June 18, 2012 at 10:01 am

Try sitting in the 14th-St. Union Square subway on one of NYC’s hottest days…at rush hour. Then ask Mark Knoller to tweet everyone’s body temperature (and accompanying bad mood).

• 54 itgurl_29
                  June 18, 2012 at 11:08 am

A Georgia peach here, and I’d take a NYC summer any day over the sweltering heat down south.

• June 18, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I survived that day in Phoenix when it was 122 degrees! I went outside for a smoke break and lasted all of about 20 seconds before I put it out and rushed back inside!

• June 18, 2012 at 10:15 am

Fall and spring here as well as winter makes it all worthwhile.

• 58 canadabarb4obama
              June 18, 2012 at 1:02 pm

lovely sunshine here in Vancouver, along with nice cool breeze….makes you want to sing!

• June 18, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Vancouver is a beautiful city! I worked there in the summer of 94 as a night shop fitter/merchandiser in Zellers in Richmond. Awesome. The climate is fantastic and so are the people. I made so many friends there, many of whom I am still in touch with. I also worked in the Rockies (Banff and Lake Louise in 95/96) I just loved it but I was on a student work visa so returned at the end of my time there. Canadabarb you live in one of my favorite cities ever.

• June 18, 2012 at 9:39 am

I definitely would rather be cold than hot, but I am an Arizona native and learned to adapt as a child. The heat didn’t stop us from doing what we wanted to do, although I would never make it as a roofer or construction worker. :)

• June 18, 2012 at 9:41 am

Jackie, I always wondered how on earth people work outdoors in that heat, I can’t begin to imagine!

• June 18, 2012 at 9:45 am

Wow, Jackie!! The desert has such beautiful qualities but OMG, it’s the scorching and not being able to breathe part that does me in. I love layering up and feeling a chill is kind of invigorating!!

• 64 Suzette
              June 18, 2012 at 9:50 am

I’m with you too Jackie. I would rather be cold than hot, at least you can wear something to keep warm.

• 65 Claire
            June 18, 2012 at 10:04 am

I’m with you Chipsticks. Cooler is better for me. :)

• June 18, 2012 at 11:14 am

Me too Chips. I melt in temps of 75+!!! Mind you here in the UK we have had plenty of rain and wind lately, I like it but hope it warms up a little for July 7th (our 4th of July party.) Wish it could be on the 4th but everyone is either at school or work here.

• 67 TrumpDog
      June 18, 2012 at 9:22 am

Jackie, I was just going to as Suzette to send some this way. I thought we’d get some Saturday but no. It was quite windy and a bit dark but nope, didn’t rain. I’m in Peoria.

• June 18, 2012 at 9:42 am

Saturday all we got is dust storms. I always worry about the wildlife and poor strays out in this heat with little or no access to water.

• June 18, 2012 at 9:47 am

Water will be the next greatest challenge for our planet. Very scary.

• June 18, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Yep, it will force us desert dwellers, and probably many others too, to relocate to an area such as the Great Lakes, or Antarctica!

• June 18, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Oh my gosh, is that you, DesertDan?? SO great to see you here!! Hope all is well.

• June 18, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Hi Meta, it sure is! Things have been a little tough lately, I lost 2 of my biggest clients (one sold, one went bankrupt) within 6 months of each other so my business is hurting a little. I am babysitting the grand kids full time though, so there is a silver lining to my dark economic clouds!

• 73 Pamela
                  June 18, 2012 at 1:49 pm

DDD! oh Happy Day! How long have you been here, and WooHoot! So good to see you again! :lol: Pamela in Seattle!

• June 18, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Daniel, I’m not sure I ever said ‘helloooooo!’ – please excuse my rudeness. So, helooooolo! Great to see you here.

• June 18, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Dan, I’m so sorry to hear that but if I know you, you’ll make the best of it. Hang in there and enjoy your grandchildren!

Join in here. It’s a great blog and we have a lot of fun!

• 78 HZ
                    June 18, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Dan, please join us. I enjoyed your brilliant comments when I first started off over at OFA. You always kept a level head about you, and your music was one of things that kept my spirit up. I remember how you would come in with those great videos to keep us focus and remember why we were there. They were beautiful, uplifting, and made us really think about why we were supporting such a great man who did become our 44th president.’

So please bring your beautiful grandchildren and your harmonica and all of the lovely videos over to this beautiful haven. You will love it here. Chips iis the Best, and we do love her so much. Think about it. So good to see you here again. HZ

• June 18, 2012 at 9:46 am

I live in Peoria too, just one stop light away from Glendale city limits and a couple of stop lights away from Phoenix city limits.

• 80 Suzette
        June 18, 2012 at 9:52 am

Trump, I believe it is over a month now that we have gotten any rain, so this is a welcome relieve for us on the Island.

June 18, 2012 at 11:11 am

I don’t remember the last time it really rained good here in Phoenix…many, many months. In fact, when it DOES rain here, it’s an event. Literally. People stop what they’re doing and just stop and watch the rain…people don’t know what to do when it rains, really…..like the first big snowstorm back East…where things just slow down and everyone watches….but we do that FOR RAIN :)

June 18, 2012 at 10:20 am

( said in my whiny voice) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! all week long we have these temps! I. Don’t. Want. Them.
      Summer here is like everyone else’s winter..we hibernate a bit and do things a little differently…like my night gardening, and my night shopping….Morning, Jackie :) Stay cool.

• 84 Pamela
      June 18, 2012 at 10:34 am

It’s a cool morning here in Seattle, a delicate 50F. Soft rain falling, the trees are sighing, they love it so much! I love it too! Some folks complain, but I tell them there is nothing they can do about it, so why bother to complain!

June 18, 2012 at 10:55 am

I used to live in Belfair on the Hood Canal…little beach house…seals swimming all around and surrounded by all things green…and a perfect view of the Cascade Mts from my kitchen window…..no need to complain….is what it is.

June 18, 2012 at 9:22 am

Hey TOD don’t forget, FL MIchelle Obama will be on Live With Kelly – formerly known as Live With Regis and Kelly – today! Check your local listings for the time and channel.

It airs on ABC for a lot of people.

11. 88 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    June 18, 2012 at 9:31 am

Good day everyone,

Throughout the day various folk will be receiving these tweets …

#PRESSON

June 18, 2012 at 9:31 am

Hey TOD. For those who tweet, email, call etc. Let’s alert MSNBC to the fact that we want Krystal Ball for the 3PM slot. Martin Bashir will be taking over Dylan’s 4PM slot when he leaves on June 22nd. MSNBC is trying out S.E. Cupp – the horror. THE HORROR!!!!! – a conservative who also works for the psycho Glenn Beck at The Blaze. She is insane! She is a rightwing nut job! MSNBC is also trying out Ezra Klein aka Mr. Know-It-All- he’s great as a columnist but as a host he SUCKS big time. They’re trying out Toure another smart aleck and they’re also trying out Steve Kornacki from Salon. They are also trying out Krystal Ball who would be the BEST person for the show. She’s all about Facts. She always calls out GOP and Dems BS. She always uses facts to back up her comments. I’ve been tweeting like heck alerting MSNBC just like we all did for Rev. Al Sharpton. We need more people on our side on TV.

• June 18, 2012 at 9:34 am

Yeah, but uta, you know that’s not what they’re going for. They’re signing up the drama queens. But good luck, I truly hope you win!!

• 91 ChristiMTL
      June 18, 2012 at 9:48 am

I didn’t really have an opinion on Ezra Klein, not good or bad….but after he said that his job wasn’t to help the liberals and that it would be better for the economy if Romney was elected because Congress would not oppose him…..I was done with him, no respect…
      Boring as a host is an understatement….zzzzzzz..

S.E.Cupp? No way…..that would be an insult….she’s loud and she’s nuts.

I thought maybe they were testing Prof Dyson and Ezra Klein last week…….both hosting all week…..

No Toure….ewww….

Krystal Ball for the win…I love her, she’s smart, she’s always on message, a true supporter……..I doubt they’ll pick her, she’s too good.

I can wait to see who they pick……

• 92 Lovepolitics2008
        June 18, 2012 at 11:07 am

He said WHAT ???????? Jesus how can someone be who short-sided and stupid ? More collaboration from Congress ? Maybe. But at the price of trickle-down economics on steroids !!!! And has this fool thought about the Supreme Court ?? Good God, he’s stupid. And what concerns me is that this is maybe the kind of conversation pundits are having in the Beltway…

• June 18, 2012 at 9:48 am

I’ve retweeted this ut because it’s very important, but as meta indicated, they’re angling for a conservative or FAKE-ass “liberal” like Klein because it would be too much for MSNBC to have two pro-Obama shows back to back from 3-5PM. Never mind that MSNBC’s entire morning programming (including weekends) is anti-Obama.

• June 18, 2012 at 9:51 am

They have no scruples. They know that if they have the most outrageous or the most divisive, people will tune in. They’re in the business of setting people’s hair on fire. But like I said, I’d be thrilled to be wrong about that.

• June 18, 2012 at 10:03 am

I’m in total agreement. Every GM should be fighting to get Krystal Ball on their network—–there should be a bidding war. She is mountains above the other possibilities in clarity and presentation.

13. June 18, 2012 at 9:31 am

Good morning, TODville. Love POTUS’ sense of humor. He never fails to crack me up!

June 18, 2012 at 10:54 am

Good morning, meta, and everyone in TODville!

Hope there is a little better news coverage of the President’s trip to Mexico than … well … all of his other trips! Get ready for the Rs to start going against the President while he is on “foreign” soil; i.e., our neighboring country.

14. June 18, 2012 at 9:33 am

Much “excitement” here in eastern Iowa for the arrival of the Robme bus tour today! Unfortunately I will have to miss it, being 60 miles away – plus it will be over 100 degrees out there, but there were some nice Democrats there yesterday to warm up the locals for him:

• June 18, 2012 at 9:39 am

Love it muscatinegal!

• 101 xtine
      June 18, 2012 at 9:46 am

From the article:

“I’m a heavy-duty Obama supporter,” said Gary Stodden of Davenport. “I think the Republicans are recycling ideas that have been proven that they don’t work. It’s like they’re trying to retread a blown-out tire and telling you it’s going to be good.”

Hey Willard, what’s the gander sauce you keep talking about? :)

15. June 18, 2012 at 9:40 am

Uh-oh..not good news for Willard – especially with his animal cruelty history!

16. June 18, 2012 at 9:55 am

Tweet we can ALL agree with :)

17. 110 Hachikō
    June 18, 2012 at 9:59 am

Guys, this is so funny. ‘Obama Boy – I Got a Crush on Obama’

18. June 18, 2012 at 10:01 am

USA/Today from page with a picture of Marco Rubio- Americas Son!

Wow! Just Wow!

19. June 18, 2012 at 10:02 am

Now reading the Des Moines Register about the Robme clan –

Wow, that Mitt is even a hilarious prankster with his own family – how I wish MY dad was this hilarious:
    “The Romney campaign released an online video for Father’s Day in which his five sons laughed about how their dad “loved to horse around.”
    One gag involved sniffing a dish of something then asking for a second opinion on whether it was spoiled. Just a while ago he did it to my son. ‘Wyatt, you’ve got to smell this,’” Josh Romney says in the video. “And Wyatt smelled and got the whole plate of whipped cream in the face. And Wyatt was totally shocked — didn’t think Papa would ever do something like that.”

• June 18, 2012 at 10:10 am

That is an old school cafeteria trick by the mean kids—-slamming your face into your plate. I think Willard’s emotional age is about 11 and tends toward the bully, “mean at his core” as Barney Frank described him.

• 114 Debz
      June 18, 2012 at 10:55 am

Who does something like that to their grandchild?!?!? More cruelty from Mitt.

• 115 TrumpDog
      June 18, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Mitt should next tell Wyatt to sit in a chair. Then at the last moment pull the chair from underneath him.
      hahahahahahahha. Cuz that’s soooo funny.

:roll:

20. June 18, 2012 at 10:03 am

OK, heads up, OTeam. The Supreme Court decision will be released sometime soon, maybe today, Thursday or Friday. I believe they go into recess next week.

• 121 Obama Grandmama
      June 18, 2012 at 1:06 pm

My local progressive radio host mentioned Ruth Bader Ginsberg’s speech as one that typically proceeds bad news. He suggested either the mandate or all of the ACA would be ruled unconstitutional. Big reach, right? He also sited the polls on the common theme of dooming Obama’s re-election chances by losing his big achievement. Prepolling is now an in thing. I must say just the guessing on it made me feel sick.

21. June 18, 2012 at 10:07 am

These people are CREEPS.

22. June 18, 2012 at 10:10 am

Miss Ann has ZERO class to stoop so low to make a worthless comment like this. Michelle Obama would have NEVER attacked any of the Bushes on their vacation or other non-policy related issues.

• 127 Bill
      June 18, 2012 at 10:17 am

Question to Ann, how many “vacations” have the Obamas taken?

• 128 Debz
      June 18, 2012 at 10:24 am

What a classless twit! Last might I was watching the authors of the President’s Club, one of the questions was about the first ladies and the authors made it clear that they do not speak ill of each other, they are supportive of new first ladies. I can not even imagine this cow being a first lady.

• June 18, 2012 at 10:32 am
      June 18, 2012 at 10:34 am

Ann Romney is a nasty lying bitch ( yes I said it and I mean it) she is just as nasty as her lying husband. There are some things in which you try to show alittle class, it’s clear Ann Romney wouldn’t know class if it bit her in her filthy rich behind. What’s next for Ann going after Malia and Sasha.

• 135 amk for obama
      June 18, 2012 at 10:36 am
      • June 18, 2012 at 11:08 am

Ann and her husband are on a permanent vacation with homes all over the U.S. I can’t believe she said that. What a snob. :)

• 137 carla4obama
        June 18, 2012 at 11:58 am

Would Ann consider that her and Mitt take as many vacationa as the G.W. Bushes…if elected?
        Anyone with the facts regarding # of vacation days for the first term of these two presidents? I know they are somewhere and need to be pushed out now that Queen Ann has opened her mouth on this subject.

• 138 jackiegrumbacher
        June 18, 2012 at 12:45 pm

It is a class issue, isn’t it AMK. You either have it or you don’t and Ms. Robney doesn’t.

• June 18, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I just responded to Sam Stein that the media counts weekends as vacations, too (I should have added “for the Obama family”), but I ran out of room.

The fact is, the President and his family have worked tirelessly and diligently to do good things for this country. If Romney somehow makes it into the White House (heaven forbid), then people will be begging him to go on vacation to limit the amount of damage he manages to do.

June 18, 2012 at 10:17 am

Yay!!!! FLOTUS is on Live With Kelly now! Wooohoooooo!

• June 18, 2012 at 10:24 am

I saw her on Eastern Time – she makes us proud – doesn’t she?

• 142 utaustinliberal
        June 18, 2012 at 10:33 am

That she does! She looks amazing. She’s so charming, personable, and real. Very genuine. Kelly Ripa loves her! I know Kelly’s dad was once a city councilman or something like that and he’s also a Democrat and Kelly’s a Democrat too. When Bryant Gumbel said in response to Michelle Obama’s comments about her children that he’s sure the kids now consider the WH home and would like to continue living there for a while, FLOTUS was like sure and Kelly was super pumped up and was like Yes! They all need to be in the white house for a very long time! :)

June 18, 2012 at 10:26 am
  25. June 18, 2012 at 10:34 am

A piece in Time Magazine from PBO:

A Nation of Laws and a Nation of Immigrants

June 18, 2012 at 10:35 am

thinkprogress House GOP poised to kill bipartisan transportation bill that would create 1.9 million jobs thkpr.gs/LwErzh
    26 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

If ANYONE votes for these people, they are NUTS!!!

27. 148 1jam4pbo
    June 18, 2012 at 10:36 am

Ann Romney hopes that First Lady Obama will notice her and make a comment. Not likely.

• June 18, 2012 at 10:47 am

Ms. Ann needs to go back in the stable with the damn horses – and STAY there.

June 18, 2012 at 12:13 pm

hopefruit2, usually we like to stay away from the candidate family, but I have no respect for Ann Romney because she is as nasty as her lying husband. Just like Mitt she doesn’t know what she is talking about. But they still lie about what ever it is they talk about.

June 18, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Don’t worry after November 6th Ann will go back to the stable with her dancing horses cause she won’t be going to the White House.

• 152 Pamela
      June 18, 2012 at 1:28 pm

The First Lady has too much class!

June 18, 2012 at 10:41 am

WASHINGTON – Confidence among U.S. builders ticked up this month to a five-year high, an indication that the housing market is slowly improving.

The National Association of Home Builders/Wells Fargo builder sentiment index rose in June to 29, the highest reading since May 2007. It increased from a reading of 28 last month, which was revised down one point.

29. 156 xtine
    June 18, 2012 at 10:42 am

From Smartypants on Holder:

“To give these allegations any time or thought misses the point that is being made here. Not only is AG Holder pushing every button these people have on voting rights, civil rights, and immigration…he’s the ‘next ranking black man in the Obama administration.’ That, my friends, is the threat these people are responding to. And its why I will say proudly that ‘I have AG Holder’s back!’”

30. June 18, 2012 at 10:47 am

Had this thought while making my bed and listening to Stephanie Miller. Could or would someone compile the ENTIRE list of everything that has been said or written about PO or Michelle or the kids that is either clearly or subtle racism. I know that is asking a lot and would probably take a long time, but I believe we need one place to find EVERYTHING. Any takers? I know I do not have that ability, but bet someone here does.

31. June 18, 2012 at 10:47 am

another jamaican lurker for the last 6 months

32. 164 anniebella
    June 18, 2012 at 10:50 am

I know we got a smart President,and he showed it in answering or not answering Andy Cohen’s question about naming something Michelle wears that he doesn’t like. What a smart man. :)

June 18, 2012 at 11:13 am

Nothing that these right wing extreme Republicans do surprises me. As long as the economy is bad they feel they can win. Americans need to use some some sense and make the Republicans pay for what they have been doing.

33. June 18, 2012 at 11:01 am

The “Liberal Media” Continue To Hammer Obama

// Not once in the past twelve months has President Obama logged a seven-day stretch where his positive press coverage outweighed the negative, according to Pew Research analysis. And based on recent media trends, that streak is in no danger of being broken as the Beltway press continues to pile on the Democratic president with routinely negative and increasingly misleading coverage, while at the same time giving his Republican rival a pass.

Whether it’s in response to the right wing’s incessant whining about unfair campaign coverage, or the product of the media’s innate desire to create a close, competitive (and marketable) presidential contest to market, the resulting storyline is clear: Obama’s faltering!

From a late-May Politico campaign analysis piece (“Obama Stumbles Out of the Gate”) that read like it had been cribbed from a Karl Rove column the previous week (“Obama’s Campaign Is Off to a Rocky Start”), to the recent congestion of sound-alike refrains, the “liberal media’s” narrative has become set in stone and conservatives must be pleased since it echoes their own anti-Obama message. //

So please don’t tell me that it’s the Wh that’s bad at “messaging” when we have a full campaign by the right AND left media to tear down our President and his campaign.

• 170 Debz
      June 18, 2012 at 11:10 am

The idea that the media’s incessant negative coverage of POTUS is because they want a “horse race” or they are afraid of being called”unfair” is nothing more than a meme the MSM uses as cover for their plan to take down the President. Right after the election, Howard Fineman made the mistake of telling Tweety that the media was going to destroy the President. i may be the only person who remembers him saying this, but it is probably the only fact that has come out of his mouth that didn’t involve his “sources on the hill.”

• June 18, 2012 at 11:20 am

I agree debz. And I’m glad more and people are seeing through this dishonest narrative about msm just wanting ratings. This negative media coverage is not based on a detached “horse race” agenda. It’s based on a vested anti-Obama, Pro-Romney interest in the MSM.

• June 18, 2012 at 11:52 am

Liberal media died, when Cronkite passed away!

• 180 theo67
      June 18, 2012 at 1:00 pm

So true, hopefruit. The “bad messaging” meme just gets me riled up like no other. When you look at all the vehicles that the White House has made available to get information out to the people, at some point, one has to look at the people and the media to assess why they are still so ignorant about basic accomplishments of this Administration. With the daily rundowns that we receive the White House, the many blogs that they write on wh.gov with video and information links, the great truth team emails from Stephanie Cutter, the tweets from David Axelrod, the plethora of left-leaning blogs out there now – all of this is readily available, using every medium possible. And yet, you’ve still got people saying “he’s done nothing” or “bad messaging”. If people don’t want to hear, then you can’t make them hear. If the media is working solidly to protect Mitt and his lies, and working solidly to paint a negative picture, then that’s a hard obstacle to overcome. If the GOP is working solidly to obstruct and create a toxic environment, and people choose to sit idly by and be apathetic about their futures – it’s hard for any message to get through that fog. We give a lot of attention to the right wing and their negativity – and the things that grow are the things that you give attention to. We can’t complain about messaging when the messages that get the most attention are the wrong ones.

• 181 jeff
      June 18, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I hardly watch the news anymore but unfortunately have this tendency to lurk around sites to see what they say and believe me the amount of negative press coverage towards Obama is staggering.

• 182 nathkatun7
      June 18, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Thanks hopefruit2 for sharing this. I also applaud your consistency on this issue. When some here tend to buy into the claim of “bad messaging” by the WH and Democrats, you are always there to challenge them.

34. June 18, 2012 at 11:02 am

i even got my daughters checking this site too

35. 185 Bill R.
    June 18, 2012 at 11:04 am

Hints of good news for WA from PPP: PublicPolicyPolling ‏@ppppolls
    Going to have good news for pro-gay marriage side in WA tomorrow. Pretty decent chance equality advocates go 4 for 4 this fall

36. 187 Hachikō
    June 18, 2012 at 11:18 am

Hi TODers. I really hate doing this, but Tucker and I are still in need of your help. You’ve been so incredibly generous to us already, and I don’t want to seem to be taking advantage of that generosity, but I am desperate. I’ve been trying to work up the courage to do this for a week – before things got out of hand, but couldn’t.

You probably know that I got a part-time job canvassing for a local community organizing group. I got my first pay check on Friday. It was $140 for 4 days of work. It rained a couple days and they canceled canvassing and they have scheduled ‘off’ days. Also, when they run out of money to pay us, there’s no work. Of the $60 I earn for each day of work, I have to pay $20 to take a cab back to the extended stay each night because the last bus leaves before my shift ends. By the time I deduct food and transportation costs, I’m grossing $30 a day.

I can’t manage on that and am asking for your help to keep a roof over our heads until I get a real job that can pay the bills. I also need to keep up the payments for the storage of my things and keep my phone on.

I know things are tough for everyone, and it pains me to have to come to you for help again, but if you can, please do know how grateful I am.

Thank you.

• June 18, 2012 at 11:41 am

Plz DM meon Twitter. :-)

• 191 mtmarilyn
      June 18, 2012 at 11:44 am

You had a paypal account right. I would love to send you something. Please have Chips send me an email how to get it to you.

• 192 Bill
        June 18, 2012 at 11:57 am

Me too. Let me know how.

• 193 Hachikō
        June 18, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Hi Marilyn (and anyone else who would like the same info) on my tumblr page, there’s a ‘Donate’ button which lets you send money to my paypal account.

I know Chip is already incredibly busy with work and maintaining the blog, and she’s been fielding these email request for me long enough. Thank you, Chipsticks!

Thank you, Marilyn!

• 194 0388jojothecat
      June 18, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Hi Hachiko

I will send some money to your paypal account later today. If you could just send me an email that you got it, would be great. By the way, did any of those job posting I forwarded fit your qualifications? Let me know. I plan to do more job searching and if I see something I will forward to you unless you prefer that I don’t.

Please don’t be shy with requests for help.

• 195 Hachikō
        June 18, 2012 at 1:38 pm

where did you forward them to, jojo? Yes, PLEASE! A job is what I need more than anything else. A job would solve all my problems. If anybody knows of anything or has a connection – whatever, just let me know.

Thank you, JoJo!

• 196 0388jojothecat
          June 18, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Hi Hachiko,

I sent you an email to the hotmail email address Chipsticks sent me. Let me know if this is a good one? This is the emails I use to forward jobs I found for you back around June 9th, 10th.

• June 18, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Hi sweetie. The only email I got from you (prior to today) was the one on June 9 telling me about the Pasadena City College Extension summer program and their Electronic Health Records Specialist online course. I got nothing else.

June 18, 2012 at 11:18 am

From DK….notice the ‘small govt” Republicans idea..

As border-area landowners, we strongly oppose two bills pending in Congress: HR 1505, sponsored by Rep. Rob Bishop (R-Utah) and S 803, cosponsored by Sens. John McCain (R-Ariz.), Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.) and Marco Rubio (R-Fla.). Both bills would give unrestricted power to the Department of Homeland Security on all public lands within 100 miles of the border (land currently under the jurisdiction of the Interior or Agriculture departments, a great deal of which is leased to ranchers and farmers).
    This legislation — ostensibly for national security purposes — would allow the department to do many things on this land, including using vehicles, building roads, fences, living quarters and airstrips and deploying forward operating bases. For example, national parks advocates have raised concerns that if the department determined it needed surveillance equipment in a park — say on Chief Mountain in Glacier National Park — it could install it without any public comment or even internal review process.

38. June 18, 2012 at 11:27 am

I absolutely love the brilliance of our President.

Marco Rubio knows his grifting ass had no intentions of putting forth anything serious. He was just gonna pretend, so that Willard could pretend. Now that the President has taken away his pretending and made it government policy, HE and Willard are stuck. Nothing is stopping his ass from putting it into the framework of LAW, and convincing GOP Senators to go along with it , but that was never the point, was it, Marco?

I’m LMAO at this, because the President outwitted these mofos once again.

39. June 18, 2012 at 11:39 am

WASHINGTON–The day after the Obama family wrapped up a Chicago weekend–Vice President Joe Biden and wife Jill hit the city for a day. Watch for Loop traffic on LaSalle St. near Wacker Dr. to be shut down or slowed during the lunch hour on Monday for the Biden motorcade.
    Biden headlines a fund-raiser at the Chicago Cut Steakhouse, 300 N. LaSalle, with prices for the small lunch ranging from $5,000 to $10,000. Co-hosts include Steve Cohen, Thomas Hart, and Sandy Stein
    From Chicago, Biden jets to Los Angeles.
    Jill Biden heads over to McCormick Place to speak at the 2012 National Conference on Volunteering and Service’s opening session, “A New Generation of Service.”
    From the White House: “In her remarks, Dr. Biden will discuss Joining Forces, the initiative she started with First Lady Michelle Obama last year as a way to spark action among all Americans to honor, recognize and support our service men and women, veterans and military families.”
    Mayor Rahm Emanuel is also addressing the conference today.

Lynn Sweet-

40. June 18, 2012 at 11:42 am

WASHINGTON — With immigration suddenly taking a high profile in the presidential campaign, this week President Barack Obama and Mitt Romney each address the nation’s largest gathering of Latino officials — in the swing state of Florida.
    At a glance, as immigration moves to the front burner:
    † Romney speaks Thursday and Obama Friday at the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials (NALEO) Annual Conference in Orlando. The expectation is they will want to make strong pitches for the Hispanic vote — which may be key in several battleground states.
    Obama comes to the convention after his administration decided last Friday to stop deporting immigrant students in the U.S. illegally.
    Romney comes to NALEO as an anti-illegal immigrant hard-liner — who may be softening for the November election.

41. June 18, 2012 at 11:46 am

romney is such a fake

42. June 18, 2012 at 11:47 am

I went to Lynn Sweets blog, she refers to Robney as Mitt and President Obama, as just Obama!
    Interesting!

• June 18, 2012 at 11:59 am

It is interesting. However, the “Obama” reference may not be necessarily a sign of disrespect. Many staunch Obama fans/supporters refer to him as “Obama.” Now, I’m not suggesting that Sweet is a fan or supporter, but his last name carries a certain weight that in my opinion supersedes the title of “President.”

43. 207 Dudette
    June 18, 2012 at 11:51 am

Obama to hold special meeting with Merkel

President Obama will meet one-on-one with German Chancellor Angela Merkel on the sidelines of today’s G-20 opening session in Los Cabos, Mexico, an indication he is pressing hard for Europe to grow its way out of recession.

Since the global economic collapse of 2008-09, Merkel’s Germany has been the leading proponent of austerity, while the United States under Obama has opted for pro-growth policies. The U.S. has seen modest growth the past two years, but Europe’s struggles have represented the biggest “headwinds” holding back the U.S. economy.

Obama and Merkel got a chance to chat during the G-8 summit at Camp David last month, but the larger G-20, including emerging as well as established economic powers, has been the go-to forum for global economic policy since 2008.

Obama’s political aides are concerned that Europe’s problems could further cripple economic recovery in the United States, making Obama’s re-election that much harder.

In the meantime, the administration is urging Greece to organize a new government so that it can address the nation’s debt crisis, perhaps the biggest problem now facing the Euro-zone.

“As President Obama and other world leaders have said, we believe that it is in all our interests for Greece to remain in the euro area while respecting its commitment to reform,” said a statement from White House press secretary Jay Carney.

“Going forward,” Carney added, “we will engage Greece in the spirit of partnership that has guided our alliance and the friendship between our people.”

June 18, 2012 at 11:52 am

Might want to keep an eye out here:

• 209 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      June 18, 2012 at 1:01 pm

“Editor’s Note : On Thursday we expect one or more opinions in argued cases. We will begin live blogging shortly before ten o’clock.”

So, perhaps it’s Thursday ;)

#PRESSON

45. 210 Dudette
    June 18, 2012 at 11:53 am

Hopefully someone in the media will actually focus on the work being done at the actual G-20 meeting:

USA TODAY’s Richard Wolf outlines some of Obama’s goals at G-20:

“Euro-area fragility remains the key risk to our recovery and to the global economy,” said Lael Brainard, undersecretary of the Treasury for international affairs, at a Friday briefing. “The president is deeply engaged in encouraging them to lay out the next steps.”

Those include making investments in infrastructure to spur growth, bolstering the sources of borrowing for countries such as Italy and Spain, creating a tighter risk-sharing union among European banks and seeking to keep teetering Greece in the 17-nation euro zone.

That latter goal will be influenced by the results of Sunday’s elections in Greece, which is beyond U.S. or even European control.

The two-day Los Cabos summit will be Obama’s seventh G-20 forum, dating back to London in April 2009, when the global economy was on the brink of a depression. Administration officials stressed that since then, the U.S. economy and financial system has seen greater improvements than those in other G-20 countries.

Using the somewhat tepid U.S. recovery as a model, deputy national security adviser for international economics Michael Froman said the goal of the G-20 summit — like the smaller G-8 summit at Camp David last month — will be to present “a unified message about the importance of growth.”

June 18, 2012 at 11:57 am

Another one to keep an eye on:

June 18, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I really hope this ugly thing backfires on rethugs and Obama and Nelson sweep FL.

48. 214 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    June 18, 2012 at 12:03 pm

#PRESSON

June 18, 2012 at 12:04 pm

IA never had a woman rep so far ? How pathetic.

June 18, 2012 at 12:08 pm

So a mittbot’s lie is the most tweeted about him speaks for his dishonest candidacy. Uncover his lies third rate media.

June 18, 2012 at 12:22 pm

So this WASN’T a mistake like they claimed yesterday??? (This law school thing?)

• 221 utaustinliberal
        June 18, 2012 at 12:39 pm

It was a mistake. She later sent out a tweet saying that C-SPAN rushed the transcript and Romney didn’t say that.

• 222 xtine
      June 18, 2012 at 12:26 pm

More oddity! Why lie about that?! Maybe someone needs to really dig into his sojourn @ Harvard.

• 223 utaustinliberal
      June 18, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Hey Amk. The tweet about Romney lying about not going to law school was a mistaken tweet. Lis Smith later corrected herself in another tweet. C-SPAN rushed the transcript and later corrected themselves. Romney didn’t make that comment.

• June 18, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I just listened to the CSPAN interview (ugh) and I think Mitt actually said (although it is hard to understand) – I DID go to law school, I didn’t practice law”…

June 18, 2012 at 12:08 pm
    June 18, 2012 at 12:11 pm
      June 18, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Adelson’s pledged $100 MILLION. SCOTUSFAIL

• 228 susanne
        June 18, 2012 at 4:08 pm

once they announced adelson’s ‘unlimited donation’, any further details just muddy the waters. robme has been purchased, so if you want to know his plans and policies, start asking adelson.

53. June 18, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I cannot repeat enough how much of a BULLET WE DODGED with this clown.

Rielle Hunter Reveals John Edwards’ Multiple Mistresses in Tell-All
    By RUSSELL GOLDMAN | ABC OTUS News – 4 hrs ago

Rielle Hunter was John Edwards’ last mistress, but not his first or only one, she claims in a revealing tell-all memoir obtained by ABC News.
    In the bombshell book, “What Really Happened” set to hit stores on June 26, Hunter reveals that Edwards, a two-time presidential candidate, had affairs with at least two other women dating back 20 years, and did not reveal the truth about his former relationships until 2011, two years after Hunter appeared before a grand jury.

The release of the book, which she wrote in an effort to explain her relationship with Edwards to their daughter, coincides with an exclusive interview with ABC’s Chris Cuomo, which will air this Friday, June 22.
    Ironically, when Edwards first met Hunter in 2006 he lied to her about having more mistresses — not fewer — and only revealed the truth about his relationships years later, when he was set to be tried for using donations from wealthy political supporters to cover up his illicit affair and the daughter he had with Hunter.

Edwards last month was acquitted on one count of violating campaign finance rules and a federal judge declared a mistrial on five other criminal counts after the jury came back deadlocked. The Justice Department will not retry the case
    In the book, Hunter is vague about the current status of her relationship with Edwards, but suggests that they remain romantically involved and he is a presence in daughter Frances Quinn Hunter’s life.

In the upcoming “20/20″ interview, Hunter will reveal the current status of her relationship with Edwards.

• 230 terim
      June 18, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I really don’t care about John Edward’s multiply mistresses – I’m thinking about so many other politicians – but I have to question his judgment is selecting Rielle Hunter.

June 18, 2012 at 12:30 pm

This is typical Scalia. He respects precedents when they fit his conservative ideology and disregards them when they don’t. He claims that history should guide judges. But nothing about the history of the commerce clause has changed. What’s changed is the political implications of the commerce clause. When its being invoked for law and order conservatives, he favors Wickard. When invoked by liberals to support healthcare reform, he thinks Wickard is bad law. Once again, we see that Scalia’s originalism is a charade.

• 233 0388jojothecat
      June 18, 2012 at 1:00 pm

This is part of the “government” that is OK with the GOP that grows. Everything else must strink except when it comes time to catastrophes in there area like hurricanes, oil spills, fires, floods, tornados and earthquakes. When California had a massive earthquake the southern senators were saying how it was NOT the job of the federal government to help “states” (which they meant “blue” states) during disasters. Funny how they always have their hands out when “their” states have disasters EVERY YEAR.

• 234 relellit
      June 18, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Good morning/Todville and Chips.

I just one to say one thing. MSNBC does not need a Toure, Sippy Cuppe, or Steve Konake. If not Bashir then a Dr. Eric Dyson. BTW: Did anyone see the look on that cross- eyed black republican statergist, Ron Christie when Dr. Dyson told him in so many words he has been exposed to racism too.

Also, Richard Wolfe would be good too.Wolfe seems to always stay on point

desertflower, I saw your liitle clarifaction on the vagina on the FN blog. I chuckeled because I was thinking that same exact thing.

55. June 18, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Greetings to all Odies! What a hot and great getting up day in my part of TODville!!! Roofers started bright and early. Marc the Roofer brought his doggie Lucky to the job site. Grandson took off, Lucky took off after grandson, neighbor’s doggie took off after Lucky, Marc takes off after Lucky, neighbor took after her doggie, I take off after grandson. The only thing that’s stopped is traffic for a block in both directions. Whew! Lucky finally listens to Marc and returns from the chase. Neighbors doggie still trying to sniff Lucky. Neighbor who hasn’t had that much exercise in the thirty years I’ve lived here is a huffin’ anda puffin’. Marc and roofers back on the job. Grandson slowly comes back after dogs are safely put away. I ask him what happened. He said, “I thought I was done being afraid of dogs, cause I knew that it was ok for a 6 year old to be afraid, but since I just turned 7, I thought I would be alright…I guess it’ll happen when I’m 8.” Poor thing traumatized by a toy poodle.

• 236 daisydem
      June 18, 2012 at 12:52 pm

That is a funny story! Thanks for sharing. I got this wonderfully, funny mental imgage of a doggie and people parade!

June 18, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Another day, more comedic antics from cookemom’s house:) Forget the Kardasians!

June 18, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Exactly. cookemom’s been on a roll since ’07 or ’08 (who can really remember when we all started up on OFA???) !!!

56. 239 xtine
    June 18, 2012 at 12:57 pm

‘We should not be disruptive, but…’
    By Anthony Terrell – Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:00 PM EDT.

Mark your calendars: Ron Paul is kicking off the GOP Convention with a rally in Tampa on Sunday, August 26. In an email to supporters, the Paul campaign said they are expecting “a wonderful crowd.”

“The goal of this rally is to kick off the week for our delegates, set the proper and respectful tone, and prove to the GOP establishment is that you and I are the future of the Republican Party — and that we stand behind our beliefs 100%.”

http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/17/12265902-we-should-not-be-disruptive-but?lite :) :) :)

• 240 0388jojothecat
      June 18, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I smell “SELL-OUT”! When I spoke to a young person doing phone banking for Wisconsin a few weeks back, I asked him why so many young people have flocked to Ron Paul and he said that RP has been consistent. I thanked him for this and I offered that he tell his young friends that this is just a RP “talking point”. RP is a republican and NOT a libertarian. You can research his records and find just as many inconsistancies as they claim PBO has. I told him that you don’t get everything you want from a politician but at least Democrats as a whole will do more for the working people and students than the GOP and Libertarians. If RP were elected he would NOT do many of the things he claims because he still has to deal with a democratic and republican majority house and senate.

June 18, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Paul is a farce. Young people that “support” him , stopped when they heard “legalize drugs” and “no wars”…if they bothered to look just a little deeper, they would not like ANYTHING else this republican stands for.

57. June 18, 2012 at 1:31 pm

“set the proper and respectful tone” this is the real reason for the rally. He has to calm his followers down so as not to embarrass his republican party. He’s probably already cut the deal with Robme for whatever it is he’ll get for calling off his hyped up crowd. What better way than to pretend it’s about making themselves heard? He’s gonna try to temper all that energy. Let’s hope they turn on him. There’s a real potential for them to vote for PBo if they feel too disenfranchised or betrayed.