Jun

Rise and Shine

Morning everyone ;-)

A bit of a busy day again, but I’l be dropping in and out – very regularly – to see if Jovie, amk and VC are behaving. And I’ll update if anything historic happens, like Willard telling the truth. Meanwhile, chat away.

PS Thanks to Susanne and amk for the link to this story …. yep, America really needs Romney’s business ‘experience':

Boston.com: It was at the height of the 1980s buyout boom when Mitt Romney went in search of $300 million to finance one of the most lucrative deals he would ever manage. The man who would help provide the money was none other than the famed junk-bond king Michael Milken.

What transpired would become not just one of the most profitable leveraged buyouts of the era, but also one of the most revealing stories of Romney’s Bain Capital career. It showed how he pivoted from being a relatively cautious investor to risking his reputation for a big payoff. It is one that Romney has rarely, if ever, mentioned in his two bids for the presidency, perhaps because the Houston-based department store chain that Bain assembled later went into bankruptcy.

But what distinguishes this deal from the nearly 100 others that Romney did over a 15-year period was his close work with Milken’s firm, Drexel Burnham Lambert Inc. At the time of the deal, it was widely known that Milken and his company were under federal investigation, yet Romney decided to go ahead with the deal because Drexel had a unique ability to sell high-risk, high-yield debt instruments, known as “junk bonds.”

More here

286 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 9 ourmanflint
    June 24, 2012 at 8:09 am

Good morning TOD

2. 10 ourmanflint
    June 24, 2012 at 8:10 am

Chips, You may never drop in if you expect mehmney to ever speak the truth

3. 13 Suzette
    June 24, 2012 at 8:11 am

Good morning all.
    Have a great day.

4. June 24, 2012 at 8:12 am

June 24, 2012 at 8:15 am

Willard telling the truth

That’ll be eights, ninth, tenth…. eleventeeth wonder if it happens. So.Not.Gonna.Happen.

6. June 24, 2012 at 8:16 am

Jovie always misbehaves, which is why I stay away from Twitter.
    Can you imagine?

7. June 24, 2012 at 8:22 am

Cupcakes bearing the likeness of U.S. President Barack Obama are displayed at Madame Tussauds Wax Museum on Obama’s 50th birthday — August 4, 2011 in Washington, DC.
    (Credit: Win McNamee/Getty Images) (CBS News) President Obama wants to wish you a very happy birthday – and as his gift to you, he’ll let you donate a portion of your gift money to his reelection campaign.

A blog post on the Obama/Biden 2012 website on Friday announced the campaign’s newest fundraising ploy – the “Obama Event Registry,” which asks anyone with an upcoming birthday, wedding, or anniversary to “support the President on

June 24, 2012 at 8:22 am

A man placed some flowers on the grave of his dearly departed mother and started back toward his car when his attention was diverted to another man kneeling at a grave. The man seemed to be praying with profound intensity and kept repeating, “Why did you have to die? Why did you have to die?”

The first man approached him and said, “Sir, I don’t wish to interfere with your private grief, but this demonstration of pain is more than I’ve ever seen before. For whom do you mourn so deeply? A child? A parent?”

The mourner took a moment to collect himself, then replied, “My wife’s first husband.”

9. 33 overseasgranny
    June 24, 2012 at 8:24 am

OK, I am tired of making donations and getting back a plain old blue postcard thanking me. I want a postcard like the one in the top picture! I want pictures of the President on my thank you postcards. Since Jovie and AMK have nothing to do but make trouble, please contact election headquarters for me and make my complaint about not getting picture postcards. This may keep you two out of trouble here and Chips will let you stay a while longer.

June 24, 2012 at 8:26 am

A woman’s husband had been slipping in and out of a coma for several months, yet she had stayed by his bedside every single day. One day, when he came to, he motioned for her to come nearer. As she sat by him, he whispered, eyes full of tears, “You know what? You have been with me all through the bad times. When I got fired, you were there to support me. When my business failed, you were there. When I got shot, you were by my side. When we lost the house, you stayed right here. When my health started failing, you were still by my side. You know what?”

“What dear?” she asked gently, smiling as her heart began to fill with warmth.

“I think you’re bad luck.”

• 50 jackiegrumbacher
      June 24, 2012 at 8:34 am

You’re on a roll today, AMK. Did you have an especially good Saturday night?

• June 24, 2012 at 10:27 am

Good Morning all Everyone here at TOD. AMK, I just have to tell you that for the past few days I have been passing on your jokes to my husband, a retired military officer. After laughing himself silly,he said to me that if you were in the Military you would be broke because you would be required to buy everyone at the bar a round of drinks. Thanks for the laughter you make my days.

• 58 amk for obama
        June 24, 2012 at 10:37 am

Thanks 1jam. Say Hi to Hubby for me.

As for buying drinks, my generosity in that area is quite legendary. Just ask chips. :)

• 59 trinisamba
          June 24, 2012 at 12:48 pm

amk, I am not good at remembering jokes but I will try to remember the last two for my yoga class. Usually we are asked to give a joke at the end to generate laughter as part of our relaxation efforts. I will let you know how it goes………..LMAO

11. June 24, 2012 at 8:26 am

Gregory is on the Today Show representing the Willard campaign. He is praising Willard’s fundraising prowess, saying how much better he is doing than President Obama. He made it sound like millions of small donors were just flocking to Willard because he has proven so loverly. He forgot—oops—-to mention that the vast majority of Willard donors are multi-millionaires and billionaires with selfish, narrow interests which are destructive to the common good.

• 61 amk for obama
      June 24, 2012 at 8:29 am

mittbot hardly had double digit human donors. Rest were all money-grabbing bots like him.

• June 24, 2012 at 8:32 am

NBC/Comcast has been taken over by Eich Republicans.
      Soon, NBC will be the Next Fox News and All Media will be biased towards the right.
      So, some of you have a bit of money, suit the Corporate MSM! How? It is violation of FREEDOM of the Press, to have only one side of the story!

• 63 jackiegrumbacher
      June 24, 2012 at 8:36 am

This is the day to boycott Gregory, as are all days, in my opinion. Go out into the morning sun and watch grass grow and birds look for worms and turn off the tv. You will be far more entertained and informed.

12. June 24, 2012 at 8:27 am

The Obama campaign’s top lawyer fired off a letter to Karl Rove Thursday, demanding a retraction of a “mystifying” comment Rove made and raising questions about his upcoming appearance at a Mitt Romney campaign event.
    The letter is the second that Bob Bauer has sent to Rove this week. The first argued that Rove could no longer insist that his advocacy group, Crossroads GPS, was policy oriented — a distinction that allowed it to shield the names of its donors. The follow-up letter, obtained by The Huffington Post, makes that same point, arguing that there is no “social welfare” component to the group’s operations.
    But it also challenges Rove in more direct terms. Bauer hints that Rove, the chief strategist to former President George W. Bush, is colluding with Romney, the presumptive GOP presidential nominee, by homing in on Rove’s presence at a Romney retreat in Utah this upcoming weekend. He also expands the scope of his complaint to Rove’s role with American Crossroads, the super PAC arm of Crossroads GPS.
    “I understand that you will [be] traveling to join Governor Romney this weekend at a luxury fundraising event in Utah –- an appearance that press reports note ‘could raise questions because of campaign finance laws barring any coordination between super PACS and actual campaigns,'” Bauer wrote, likely alluding to American Crossroads, the super PAC arm of Crossroads GPS. “But I would ask that this trip not delay the immediate correction of your misstatements I am requesting.”

Give Rove some of his own medicine!

• 65 amk for obama
      June 24, 2012 at 8:34 am

Excellent. Make turd blossom answerable and accountable. Is FEC still dominated by thugs ?

• June 24, 2012 at 8:42 am

2-1 liberals and 2 waiting to be confirmed!

• 70 jackiegrumbacher
        June 24, 2012 at 8:43 am

Rove has convinced himself that NO laws apply to him, that he is a master strategist who has the skills to win any election he sets his mind to. He will ignore this, just as he ignored all the efforts to nail him for the Valerie Plame disclosure. Rove will do or say anything since he is not bound by any set of ethics, laws or constitutional restraints. He should have been jailed a long time ago, but he wasn’t and now he thinks no one can touch him. Pressure has to be applied on him from all fronts so that he’s exposed time and again for what he is. The media won’t do this, so we have to look for other means. He’s an evil man with a very dark soul.

• June 24, 2012 at 8:58 am

Rice used the Power of the WH to get His Way.
          Now, he is using the power if Fox News and The KOCHS to get His way.
          Each are diversified, both should not be underestimated.
          He has divided this Country, worst thing that ever happened to this Country- was Rove.
          He will be talked about for centuries!

• 72 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      June 24, 2012 at 11:12 am

#FORWARD

• 73 Obama Grandmama
      June 24, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I was wishing with all of the ways to record conversations and show slipups that somehow someone could get into that Utah Park City fundraiser and prove Rove’s breaking of the law.

13. June 24, 2012 at 8:32 am

Good Morning all! Rain again in South Florida. My yard is loving it. It really died last year from the lack of rain….this year what is left is bright green. Have a great day and keep “Getting the truth out there”. Off to work in a bit.

Peace and Love,
    Sue

14. 75 Ladyhawke
    June 24, 2012 at 8:34 am

MITT ROMNEY’S “HIDE THE BALL” STRATEGY

Mitt’s no policy problem

————————————

Vague, general or downright evasive policy prescriptions on some of the most important issues facing the country are becoming the rule for Romney. Hoping to make the campaign strictly a referendum on the incumbent, the hyper-cautious challenger is open about his determination to not give any fodder to Obama aides hungry to make the race as much about Romney as the president.

Romney is remarkably candid, almost as though he’s reading the stage directions, about why he won’t offer up details: he thinks it will undermine his chances to win.

—————————————–

• 76 jackiegrumbacher
      June 24, 2012 at 8:51 am

This is such a typical Politico article, trying to paint the president with the same brush as Robmey. In what universe has the president been evasive about what he will do in a second term. He stated his vision–a dedication to education, innovation, infrastructure, alternative energy–or, IOW, national building. He’s shown exactly how he would reduce the deficit through a combination of judicious cuts and high taxes on millionaires. The only mystery about this is in the minds of the wingers at Politico who think an incumbent president with a record of historic accomplishments equals a lying, sociopathic neophyte.

15. June 24, 2012 at 8:36 am

Lance the Tortoise is back home, if any of you have spent the last week worrying about him. He took advantage of his family being preoccupied with a dad’s day barbecue last Sunday and made a run for freedom and maybe some wild women, turtle variety. Found yesterday, in good shape and looking pretty smug.

June 24, 2012 at 8:39 am

Installed a program called soluto. Perked up my stupid laptop a bit. Quicker start-up and quicker browsing.

June 24, 2012 at 8:42 am

Chips – In the last thread, susanne linked an excellent expose by Boston Globe about mittbot’s junk bond fame malkin. Mebbe it needs some more prominence here ?

• 85 jackiegrumbacher
      June 24, 2012 at 8:52 am

Amk, thank you for this, amk. It deserves headline reporting in every newspaper in the country. Instead of that let’s get it going on FB and Twitter.

• June 24, 2012 at 8:54 am

Tweet it to Axelrod and Lis Smith. If you find something, they need to know.
      They have staff that read all your tweets, they listen!

• June 24, 2012 at 8:56 am

Thanks amk, just added it to the post …. I actually can barely read about this guy’s business ‘experience’ any more, it makes me feel physically ill.

• 88 Bill
        June 24, 2012 at 9:07 am

Chips, I was in the financial services business and feel the same disgust when reading about Willard’s business experience.

• 89 Pamela
          June 24, 2012 at 9:38 am

Hey, Chips, Hey, Bill, I’m with you both! I tried to read it, got through the first page and 1/2, then felt so sick I had to stop… it is Sunday and I haven’t had my tea…. There is no excuse for this man’s behavior, past or present. He is a blight. He is pestilence in human form. I am sorry to speak so of another human, but I have to question his humanity. I’m sorry, on a Sunday.

18. June 24, 2012 at 8:52 am

Rick Perry, Issa and Rubio on the Sunday Shows!
    Yes! I can’t wait… Not!

19. 91 Ladyhawke
    June 24, 2012 at 8:54 am

An Oligarchy of Dunces

By LOLGOP

————————–

Now we face the most important election since the last one. We face a GOP that has been emboldened by opposition. A GOP that feels the only response to Wall Street crashing the economy is gutting the safety net, Medicare and financial regulations. A GOP that feels the only solution to massive wealth inequality is massive new tax breaks for the rich.

This is a GOP so drunk on the wine of their mischief that they think they can win pairing Mr. “Let Detroit Go Bankrupt” with Mr. “Cut Medicare to Pay for Tax Cuts for the Rich.”

I say “they” because I don’t think Mitt Romney is setting his own course. He had the money, cunning and willingness to lie about anything to get this far. But this is when the big boys take over.

This weekend, two separate conservative cabals to wrangle donors and plot strategy. Rove, Romney and a cast of problematic VP candidates met in Utah with some billionaires as the Koch brothers met with their own fellow plutocrats in California.

—————————————–

June 24, 2012 at 8:57 am

21. June 24, 2012 at 9:05 am

Very few times Halperin gets it right! So, when He chooses to give an unbiased opinion, we could choose to listen-

Thoughts?

• 94 globalcitizenlinda
      June 24, 2012 at 10:14 am

I read the article. halperin seems to be saying that the two articles on bain did not make any dent in determing punditry topics so they may not make much difference in nov/6.

i do not know whether Team Obama wins from this assessment or do we also see that the articles made no dent in perception of romney. I thought they did

22. 95 jackiegrumbacher
    June 24, 2012 at 9:07 am

Looks like Robney is planning to mobilize the Mormons to proselytize for him. I’m not sure this will go over well with a lot of people. It seems dicey to me to give the impression of a Mormon takeover and I would think that no matter what the religion. This needs to be known far and wide. The truth challenged media will say this is just the same as unions going door to door, but it’s completely different. Unions represent a huge cross section of American workers with highly diverse memberships. I wouldn’t want any church group knocking on doors for a specific candidate. It’s very creepy. I love the way the article says that Mormons are used to long hours and rejection. Have they ever talked with an OFA organizer who puts in 18 hour days, 7 days a week and has handled every loudmouth idiot blatherer known to man. Geez!

Romney’s Mormon Army Mobilizes
    The Financial Times looks at how Mitt Romney campaign is planning to deploy an army of Mormon supporters from Utah “to states where the presidential race is close, such as neighboring Nevada and Colorado. Such efforts could be crucial in battleground states that will decide the election.”

“The missionary work that is at the heart of the Mormon religion — 1m have left home for two years to convert others to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints — could be good preparation for a Romney door-knocking and phone-calling outreach effort, given the long hours and rejection that such endeavours often entail.”

June 24, 2012 at 9:09 am

My last two posts eated by wp/chips.

• 100 amk for obama
      June 24, 2012 at 9:14 am

Ok, posts were not eated after all. They’re just all over the place.

• June 24, 2012 at 9:15 am

Just noticed that amk, one word: arrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhh.

Why the flip does it do that??

• June 24, 2012 at 9:19 am

Chips,
          Can you tweet to Lis smith-
          Ed Gilespie said that OFA outsourced telemarketing!
          Nope! They do, not us!
          That is a bold faced lie!
          And Lis Smith and Stephanie Cutter need to know, that is their response to Bain outsourcing!
          Thanks!

• 104 amk for obama
          June 24, 2012 at 9:22 am

I think answering directly to that pop up thingy is the problem. Better to reply directly to the post from the page.

24. June 24, 2012 at 9:16 am

Oh, did I mention SOTU added a person to their lineup- Ed Gilespie!
    Yay! Yeeehaw!
    Well, that balances things out…

25. 106 Bill
    June 24, 2012 at 9:22 am

Gregory just told Rubio there are many similarities between him and PBO. That might be the most disgusting thing I have ever heard Gregory say.

• June 24, 2012 at 10:45 am

Its funny how Repubs demonize Pres.Obama but when they need to pander to the middle they try to find similarities with Pres.Obama. Gregory is full of shit. Rubio is no Pres.Obama.

26. June 24, 2012 at 9:23 am

Good morning, TODville.

MSM has really done its job. Every single thing I’m reading everywhere assumes the Supreme Court will strike ACA down.

• June 24, 2012 at 9:48 am

This headline and story says it all——‘Most Americans oppose healthcare act but like all its provisions’. The news media allowed all the tea party demonstrations and anti-healthcare screaming without challenge—–and the low info public was brainwashed to be opposed, as if it was some evil plot and not needed reform, its provisions appealing.

• June 24, 2012 at 10:17 am

LOL! What a dumb headline. “Most Americans oppose healthcare act but like all its provisions”

Those two things cannot true at the same time since the healthcare act IS all it’s provisions. Instead, the headline should read: “Most Americans oppose the GOP/MSM-distorted version of the health care act, but like the actual law.”

Secondly, what meta said is actually reassuring, given what Justice Ginsburg stated about a week ago – that people who DON’T know the actual outcome are the ones speaking the most about it, whereas those who know the outcome aren’t saying anything.

27. June 24, 2012 at 9:24 am

C-SPAN traveled to President Obama’s Re-election Campaign Headquarters in Chicago to speak with Senior Strategist David Axelrod and Campaign Press Secretary Ben LaBolt.
    The senior campaign officials give a look at the Obama campaign’s political & media strategy; “Operation Vote” effort to target key voters in battleground states; the day-to-day political operations from the Prudential Office building in Chicago; campaign strategy using social media; and a tour of the Chicago headquarters.

• 113 Linda
      June 24, 2012 at 9:30 am

Thanks,,…that looks interesting……

I had to turn off Washington Journal this morning….they were reading from the Jodi Kantor hit piece about the ACA in yesterday’s NYTimes.

• 115 utaustinliberal
      June 24, 2012 at 9:39 am

I just saw this on my TV line up. It comes on at 6:30PM – 8PM ET and re-airs at 9:35PM ET – 11PM ET on C-SPAN ONE. I am soooo gonna be watching. Axelrod and LaBolt? Heck yeah.

28. June 24, 2012 at 9:36 am

It would be soooooooo interesting to follow the upcoming strategy/memes that is put in place after the Utah meeting of the GOPERs. They seem to think they know the public very well, and that money talks. So let’s see if the public will stay strong and continue to challenge, call them out, and most importantly refuse to swallow the lies and lack of transparency. Maybe we can chronicle weekly how the memes are unfolding.

June 24, 2012 at 9:38 am

Ok, a bit of an Indian anecdote. You all know who Gandhi is right ? (google if you don’t).

He was considered an upright man and was the leader in Indian National Congress, a pan Indian party that fought for our freedom from the brits. They ruled almost all the states in India.

In my state, there an equally upright and honest chief minister (govnor for ya) from the congress party. When he formed the government, Gandhi, knowingly or unknowingly, recommended a not-so-honest pol for a minister post. The CM was shocked to receive such a letter from Gandhi.

He wrote this two line reply

Dear Mahatma (means a noble soul)

“All my life, I followed only two things – my conscience and you. From now on, I will follow only my conscience.”

Talk about zing.

Ah, those were the days. Sigh….

June 24, 2012 at 9:42 am

Stephanie Cutter is going to be on Face The Nation on CBS with Eric Fehrnstrom. This is going to be Part Deux of their last appearance together on ABC’s This Week where Cutter demolished Fehrnstrom. Made him look like a pathetic fool. Can’t wait!

31. 126 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    June 24, 2012 at 9:51 am

Good day TODers & Leader Chips …

I say tomato, you say ….

A Sunday morning missive to #BullyMitt …

shared with friends (many more in my TL) …

#FORWARD

32. June 24, 2012 at 9:53 am

Barber is doing an Event where Gabby was Shot!
    I hope Security will be present!
    Hello?

33. June 24, 2012 at 9:57 am

Progress on the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act has ground to a halt despite the passage of competing bills in the House and Senate.

Democrats had once made the bill a top priority, but Senate leaders were unable to send their bill to the House because they found it violated the Constitution by raising revenue.

House Republicans say they’ve yet to see any substantive negotiations on the legislation and are waiting for the Senate to fix their bill. Senate leaders, on the other hand, want the House to take up their version, which passed with bipartisan support and had the backing of most advocacy groups.

So, I guess it’s ok to beat the Shit out of Females? WTF?

34. June 24, 2012 at 10:00 am

NEW ORLEANS — Recent public outbursts against President Obama reflect the “coarseness” of society, senior adviser Valerie Jarrett said here Saturday.

“I think I would observe there is a coarseness to the dialogue generally,” she said at the National Association of Black Journalists convention. “Some of it is targeted at the president, but it’s also one of the challenges of our society. Look no further than the comments section online to see how coarse our dialogue is getting toward one another.”

Jarrett, a longtime Obama friend, didn’t say whether she thought that incidents such as last week’s interruption of the president’s Rose Garden statement on immigration were driven by race.

But she did say that Obama lets things roll off his back because he has bigger matters to handle. “Does he get frustrated from time to time, of course he does, he’s human. But does that frustration linger? No because he can’t afford to as president of the United States.”

Jarrett also said that she doesn’t “have that appetite” for a career in politics after the Obama presidency. The White House is a “good note to end on,” she said, adding that she’s unsure of what administration job she’d want in a second Obama term.

35. June 24, 2012 at 10:06 am

Ooooh, loved this …. the Assange groupies’ heads will collectively explode:

UK Independent: Joan Smith –

Narcissism is the curse of our age. Celebrity is its more familiar manifestation, spawning countless magazines and TV shows, but its tentacles have spread into every area of public life. France has recently terminated an unhappy experiment with a hyperactive President, suggesting that its appetite for constant self-promotion has its limits. Now a similar proposition is being tested in the UK by the saga of the celebrity-hacker, Julian Assange.

The news that the increasingly eccentric founder of WikiLeaks had sought political asylum in Knightsbridge, of all places, was greeted with equal measures of disbelief and hilarity. The London embassy of Ecuador is convenient for Harrods, although I don’t imagine that was a major consideration when Assange walked into the building on Tuesday afternoon. His line is that he has been “abandoned” by his home country, Australia, which has failed to protect him from the threat of extradition to the US and the death penalty. The Australian government has a different story, but it’s all part of Assange’s riveting psychodrama, in which this fearless champion of human rights has been kept under “house arrest” without charge in the UK for 500 days. That is what Assange told Ecuador’s president, Rafael Correa, in a rambling TV interview last month.

More: http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/joan-smith/joan-smith-why-do-we-buy-julian-assanges-oneman-psychodrama-7869897.html

• 142 Tally
      June 24, 2012 at 10:12 am

just wow.

• 144 Tally
          June 24, 2012 at 10:25 am

Yeah – the RIP James Nolan shirt was pretty awesome.

“After scoring, Keane raced to the bench and grabbed a white Galaxy jersey, holding it before the TV cameras so the message “RIP James Nolan” could be read.

Nolan was an Irish soccer fan who was found dead in a Polish canal last week during the Euro 2012 tournament, the victim of what was ruled an accidental drowning. Keane, captain of the Irish national team, spent part of Saturday talking to Nolan’s father.”

• 145 Cha
      June 24, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Thx for that article, Chips. I believe Michael Moore put up some money for Julian’s bail as well as a bunch of other numbskull suckers. It’s sickening the stupid that runs rampant throughout the Globe.

36. June 24, 2012 at 10:19 am

It’s really been pouring for 3 Days, here in Clearwater Florida!
    Looks like I am going to have to build an Arc!

June 24, 2012 at 10:20 am

Happy Sunday morning…after letting the dog out (twice) filling water bowls,getting coffee,making a stop in the “library”,feeding the dog, and reading through the comments…I’m going to read the Michael Milken/Mitt Romney Reckless Judgement piece…..seems that the LIES BY OMISSION, are as bad as the flat out lying!
    OFA needs to see this…and I have a feeling that an ad made about this could be Romney’s “Daisy” ad moment.

Having the masses of Mormon’s descend on voter’s will do one thing. Piss them off. They can figure that out…or not. Be back after I read about Mitt/Milken…

By the way Chips…I love how the house looks:)

• 152 Debz
      June 24, 2012 at 10:33 am

I will be interested to see how Romney can send armies of Mormons out to GOTV without people starting to question him about his religion. Too many people in this country already believe that Mormonism is a cult, I would think this would bring attention to him and his religious beliefs.

June 24, 2012 at 11:00 am

Exactly

• 154 Nena20409
        June 24, 2012 at 11:17 am

The question will come if the Mormon missionary voting converts wear their uniforms as the two I just saw last week at our neighborhood library. If they go without the missionary garments, no one would know. At the library, the two that were surfing rightwing site…yes I deliberately picked, were wearing their white shirts, black ties, black pants and black shoes. That was what gave them way to me.

• 155 jackiegrumbacher
          June 24, 2012 at 11:46 am

Nena, I think you can pick them out without the uniform. The are always young, white, have 50’s style haircuts and never appear natural. Remember it’s always the young who do the missionary work and are used to the rigors. In our area, OFA volunteers are of all ages, all races and all creeds. Since they generally live in the neighborhoods they canvass, they look like everybody else.

• 156 Obama Grandmama
            June 24, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Your description of the hairstyles pegs what I had been thinking of the Romney sons after seeing a photo and interview of them lately. They really look like their dad. They appear quite handsome but to me handsome is as handsome does so behavior cancels out good looks.

38. 157 Tally
    June 24, 2012 at 10:23 am

Bonjour TOD!

Aloha from Burbankish…

Recovering from my G’s win – 3rd one in 7 days, so we’re not the total suckfest we have been. Chips – Robbie was mostly useless last night, but did manage to score one goal, and set up Landon’d PK quite nicely.

Getting ready to head down to Venice for hair clipping. it’s verging on Calista Gingrinch, so I’m mulling shaving it off. Wish I were Annie Lenox and could pull that off. *le sigh*

How is everyone??? Stop watching those poison Sunday shows and Netflix Game of Thrones already!!!! :D :D :D

June 24, 2012 at 10:28 am

It’s liberating to shave it off! Did it for the kids cancer fundraiser…now I do it ALL the time:) Jamie Lee Curtis w/o hair…it’s all good!

39. 163 Pamela
    June 24, 2012 at 10:24 am

Let’s keep those candles alight, as long as that group of semi-humans are still together: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng

40. June 24, 2012 at 10:25 am

The GOP is already talking about where the ACA cash will go, in the event the law is struck down.
    You ready for this? Not towards paying down our debt, but to cancel All the Military cuts in the Sequestration!
    Lord have Mercy!

• 168 Tally
      June 24, 2012 at 10:28 am

I think Robert and Kennedy are going to vote yes, and GOP heads will have a collective “BLAM” tomorrow.

The SCOTUS can then run away on vacation, while the baggers storm La Bastille.

• 178 theo67
      June 24, 2012 at 2:08 pm

So, the military spending (to defense contractors and to protect oil interests in foreign countries) is more important than 40 million people’s health and/or the health security of a nation. I hope people can open their eyes and see this.

• 179 Obama Grandmama
        June 24, 2012 at 2:24 pm

In listening to NPR this morning there was a conversation by a few journalists that pretty much think if the mandate goes it will be hard to hold it all together. One reporter mentioned the 2,000+ bill and how it was not until recently that she understood the significance of how comprehensive the bill was and of the necessity of how it all affects all the parts. Too bad she didn’t report that earlier when everyone was judging it because it was long! The other part that came out was all the rest of the rulings needed to be made and it sounded more like towards the end of the week instead of beginning on the ACA. Everyone is pretty much guessing though.

• 180 theo67
          June 24, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I’m going to avoid listening to any news on this until the announcement comes out.Most of the people who will be commenting either haven’t read the bill, or they are hoping that killing the bill will miraculously usher in Single Payer – even though this Congress can’t legislate it’s way out of a plastic bag. Most people don’t even know all the good that is in this bill that doesn’t have anything directly to do with insurance companies – like Native American health, research dollars, etc. Best to avoid the inexpert commentary that will be free-flowing all week – before AND after the announcement.

June 24, 2012 at 10:34 am

Read the boston.com story about Romney. The story made me physically sick. Romney is conscienceless. Just when you think he can’t sink any lower, he finds new scumbag depths.

42. 189 overseasgranny
    June 24, 2012 at 10:46 am

The contrast is striking between the Egyptians celebrating their first and fair democratic election results and watching Issa trying to destroy democracy

June 24, 2012 at 10:49 am

Rick Perry is a dumbass. He’s been making gaffes galore this morning on Face The Nation. Accuses Pres. Obama of crap. Schieffer asks him, what are you accusing Pres. Obama of? Perry replies: ” I don’t know.” It’s like HUH?!?!?

Then he doesn’t realize the election is on Nov. 6th, 2012. This is what he said.

44. 195 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    June 24, 2012 at 10:52 am

Mitt’s short-form CV ….

Sharing it with those who need to know ;)

#FORWARD

June 24, 2012 at 10:52 am

As per Jovie’s request; here you go Jovie.

46. June 24, 2012 at 10:56 am

Face The Nation did Not have on Stephanie Cutter- they had a surprise guest- immediately following 12 minutes of Rick Perry.
    You ready? Tim Pawlenty!
    WTF?

• June 24, 2012 at 11:00 am

And in their 12 minutes of Perry, he managed to make a major oops…

…SERVES THEM RIGHT!

• June 24, 2012 at 11:04 am

That is not the point! The Robney camp obviously had to have Pawlenty on after Perry, because if the gaffes.
        They cut off Stephanie. What is funny is, Scheffer started introducing Stephanie and that was the End of the Show, did not have time.
        That is fascinating!

• 202 Bill
          June 24, 2012 at 11:11 am

Face the Nation is now on for an hour in some markets. She is going to be on the second half hour.

• 203 Nena20409
            June 24, 2012 at 11:24 am

That 2nd 1/2 hour is seen in Only 67% of CBS market nation wide. The 1st hour is 100%. So FTN had 2 Repubs for 100% of the nation and a rebuttal for 67%?

Liberal bias media my azz?

• June 24, 2012 at 11:12 am

My point is that with all the MSM/GOP’s shenanigans, people are still noticing the GOP gaffes, the oops, and the deliberate attempts to shut down the DEMS, etc. Perry’s gaffe was not lost on folks – it is on Twitter now.

Poor-lenty is the dullest twit on the planet, and he’s coming after Perry does not really help them at all.

47. June 24, 2012 at 10:57 am

48. 211 japa21
    June 24, 2012 at 11:06 am

Morning everyone. I wanted to thank everybody for their comments on the post of Chips Chips ran yesterday.
    After reading some of the comments I was able to clarify my thinking a little bit. It is obvious how hung up we can become with labels: conservative/liberal, right/left, progressive/radical. Forit is worth, I am from now on going to label myself as a progressive conservative. My definition of that is basically that I consider myself a conservative in that I don’t want to erase the gains we have made, I want to conserve them. At the same time, I want to use the conserving of those gains as a springboard to make progressive gains in the future.

49. June 24, 2012 at 11:12 am

Another GREAT ad from Stephanie Cutter and the Truth Team:

June 24, 2012 at 11:17 am

Haha….love Stef Cutter. She says its amazing that someone who wants to be POTUS created the process of outsourcing jobs overseas.

51. 221 Bill
    June 24, 2012 at 11:22 am

News Flash: Peggy Noonan said the administration made a mistake. They are stonewalling. Riveting, insightful comment from Dame Peggy.

• 222 LOL
      June 24, 2012 at 11:32 am

She is pathetic….but the media is even moreso. She is not impartial and she is a horrible writer/commentator. She is only famous because she wrote Saint Ronnie. Why this lady gets free media is beyond me. She talks as if she is writing a haiku.

52. June 24, 2012 at 11:23 am

You all seen this hot mess yet? This is not a joke post…

Romney Adviser Hits Back On Bain Offshoring: Obama Is ‘Outsourcing’ Jobs To Nebraska!
    By Igor Volsky on Jun 24, 2012 at 11:02 am

“Gillespie said that he was “not aware” if companies tied to Bain shipped jobs overseas, before adding, “what happened in the story as near I can tell is that the reporter confused the notion of outsourcing.” “Now a lot of American companies outsource, they outsource domestically,” he said, noting that the Obama campaign outsources jobs to Nebraska and CNN contracts out video editing projects.”

“UPDATE: Romney advier Eric Fehrnstrom similarly attacked the Obama campaign for “outsourcing” jobs to other places in the United States during an appearance on Face the Nation and claimed that the companies listed in the Washington Post stories were expanding in other countries, not sending American jobs overseas.”

Now watch as the wingers push this line of moronic thinking.

June 24, 2012 at 11:24 am

Must have hit a nerve with that WAPO article!

Senior Romney adviser Ed Gillespie said that the Washington Post reporter who wrote a story on Bain Capital investing in firms that facilitating outsourcing got his facts wrong. In an interview on CNN’s “State of the Union” Sunday, Gillespie said that in the article, called “Romney’s Bain Capital invested in companies that moved jobs overseas,” “confused the notion of outsourcing.”

According to the article, Bain Capital invested in companies that helped other companies ship jobs overseas during Romney’s tenure.

“This was incredibly shoddy journalism. The fact is, this was a breathless headline over a baseless story,” Gillespie said Sunday. “I would encourage you to have the reporter on your show. I hope he goes on a lot of shows. And ask him to demonstrate one of the companies that was cited in that article that moved American jobs overseas while Mitt Romney was at Bain Capital… and I don’t believe you’ll find that he can cite any. So it’s just factually inaccurate.”

Add the Milken thing…and I bet there’s plenty more where these came from!!

June 24, 2012 at 11:26 am

55. 235 Ceb
    June 24, 2012 at 11:28 am

Good morning everyone.

I spent part of the morning looking at the TOD videos on YouTube. It is incredible and awe-inspiring when you go back over the journey that we have been on with PBO from that electrifying speech at the 2004 Dem. convention up to the present day. No matter the difficulties and the haters, who are clearly in the minority, the president has been and is transformative. Under his leadership and example the country, and much if the world to some extent, has changed, moved forward in ways that most of us could not have imagined. Historians will see this time period as the beginning of a new Golden Age. I do not get upset with with the bumps along the way because I know that no systemic change comes without resistance and difficulty ( even a cursory knowledge of history shows us this), but the arc of history is bending toward justice and I am ever hopeful and filled with belief.

Have a great day everyone.

56. 236 cuphalffull
    June 24, 2012 at 11:31 am

Chips, I needed the comic relief more than I knew. When I read “if anything historic happens like Mitt telling the truth” I thought I would double over chuckling. Thank your for your wit. Every little bit helps as we face these serial people of the lie.

June 24, 2012 at 11:39 am

• 239 Betty's Girl
      June 24, 2012 at 11:44 am

OMG…the Repubs are just too funny for words. Rick Perry always give me the best laughs. My side is hurting! As for the Romney people i am enjoying them running around like headless chickens. Team Obama is serving so good right now. So proud of them!

• 240 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      June 24, 2012 at 11:55 am

You’ve got to be making that up, ut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

They really put the LAME into LAMEness!!!!!!!!!!!

#FORWARD

June 24, 2012 at 2:03 pm

UT, I never have heard of the country Nebraska. Where is it located?

• 242 Cha
      June 24, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Just how damn dumb is Ed Gillespie?

• 243 nathkatun7
      June 25, 2012 at 12:49 am

What’s the matter with Nebraska? Why do they keep voting for these Republicans who hold their state in low regard? Will the majority of Nebraskans vote for a candidate who compares their state to a foreign country? I hope the rest of the state will wake and join the sane people in Omaha and vote for Democrats in 2012.

June 24, 2012 at 11:45 am

June 24, 2012 at 11:59 am

• 250 Nena20409
      June 24, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Guys remember during the health care debate, the NE Corn huskers deal…..The TBGOPers do not respect Americans and mostly their base…..They are banking that NE would be seen as the Cornhasker ACA deal that Nelson wanted? These people are clueless. And what did Candy Crowley and FTN host say when these two Romney apologists made those idiotic false equivalent memes?

June 24, 2012 at 12:17 pm

The kickback????

• 252 Nena20409
          June 24, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Yes. TBGOPers thinking is always twisted. Look at how they got their base to believe that the so called fast and Furious is about a twisted ploy for gun control. These people are not normal in their thinking.

June 24, 2012 at 12:07 pm

http://read.bi/MIutrT I hope this works….kind of weird linking thingy :)

June 24, 2012 at 12:12 pm

LOOK AT THIS GRAPH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This recession is worse than all the others….BY FAR!

• 256 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      June 24, 2012 at 12:17 pm

That is an exceptionally important graph, df!!!

I’m going to tweet it to @stepcutter and @truthteam2012 … they’ll know what to do with it, especially combined with the debt level graph.

Thank you!

#FORWARD

• 262 nathkatun7
      June 24, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Thank you so much df for sharing, as always, very valuable information. If we had competent and honest media, most Americans would be easily fooled and manipulated by Romney’s lies.

62. 263 Pamela
    June 24, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Bye all! There’s a game later, if all goes well, I’ll be back to dance with you again this afternoon! Obama~Biden 2012

June 24, 2012 at 12:16 pm

This is why Gillespie is having a hard time..

The Obama Campaign Has A New Plan To Destroy Mitt Romney, And It Might Actually Work

• 265 Ladyhawke
      June 24, 2012 at 12:38 pm

DF, It’s like peeling an onion. It has been proven that Romney’s time as CEO of Bain was not about job creation, it was about making money for investors. We now know that there was an awful lot of outsourcing/offshoring going on. I am waiting for more focus on state and local government subsidies that Bain was too happy to accept.

Companies Run By Romney’s Private Equity Firm Received Millions In State And Local Government Subsidies

———————————————-

Romney has blasted the “endless subsidies and credits intended to shape behavior in our economic society,” calling them “intrusion in the workings of the free marketplace itself.”

However, as Bloomberg News reported, the companies run by the private equity firm Bain Capital when Romney was its CEO had little problem accepting subsidies from state and local governments:

During Romney’s years as chief executive of Bain Capital LLC, companies owned by the firm received millions of dollars in benefits from a variety of state and local government economic development programs.

In California, taxpayer money built one Bain company a conveyor bridge between two of its buildings. New York City gave another Bain company tax breaks and lower energy bills to discourage it from moving to New Jersey. And in Indiana, a county government issued bonds to help buy new equipment for a Bain-owned steel plant — a business success featured in a Romney campaign ad touting his private sector prowess.

———————————————-

June 24, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Peeling an onion is right! I just hope that the campaign doesn’t wait too long to bring this all out…so that they have time to connect the dots…..some people aren’t so quick on the uptake and need lots of time to get a clue! Better yet, I hope they leave nothing to chance, and CONNECT THE DOTS FOR THEM!!!

June 24, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Interesting Marco Rubio facts…:) With some surprises!

65. June 24, 2012 at 12:23 pm

With the Supreme Court ruling coming down this week, here are the main things they’ll decide:

Whether the individual mandate is constitutional.

Whether Anti-injuction Act prohibits the challenge. IOW, since the individual mandate hasn’t gone into effect, can a suit be brought against it?

Severability. This is whether, if the mandate is struck, what else must be struck along with it.

Whether the Medicaid expansion is constitutional.

• June 24, 2012 at 12:24 pm

And Jodi Kantor’s hit piece got it wrong.

• June 24, 2012 at 12:29 pm

And from Adam Liptak:

The Supreme Court on Thursday indicated that it is likely to go into overtime next week, as the nation awaits its decisions in challenges to President Obama’s health care law and a tough Arizona immigration law.

The hint about timing was a sort of dog that did not bark. It is the chief justice’s practice on the next-to-last day of the term to announce that the following session will be the final one. The last scheduled day for handing down decisions is Monday, and yet Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. made no announcement on Thursday that Monday would be the final day.

That suggests that there will be at least one additional day for decisions next week after Monday. It is a good bet that the health care decision will come on the last day, which may be Wednesday or Thursday.

June 24, 2012 at 12:24 pm

As you can see, under Obama, private employment snapped back much better than it did during Bush’s first year.
    State and local government employment, however, fell much harder under Obama than it did under Bush.
    This is of course exactly the opposite of the big government socialist stereotype that the Obama economy is portrayed as, but oh well.
    And it actually fits quite nicely with what we have said… that the private sector is doing “fine” under Obama.
    On Twitter, a critic of this chart said that the comparison wasn’t meaningful, since the surge in state and local jobs under Bush was a function of Homeland Security spending after 9/11.
    That may be true, but if anything it just proves the point made by Krugman, that to jumpstart job creation in this country, perhaps we need to have a false fear of an alien invasion.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/obamas-first-term-and-bushs-first-term-2012-6#ixzz1yjEPakO6

June 24, 2012 at 12:24 pm

68. June 24, 2012 at 12:26 pm

did the twitter universe light up Candy Crowly on her lack of pushback about Gillespie

June 24, 2012 at 12:29 pm

June 24, 2012 at 12:35 pm

June 24, 2012 at 12:37 pm

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Must see!!

June 24, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Stupid idiots. They do this on a daily basis. http://read.bi/Mk37eW

WHOOPS! Fox News Confused Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels With Jerry Sandusky

73. 280 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    June 24, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Dear Chips,

Not sure if you’ll see this, but as I’m awaiting my conference call to begin wanted to post this request.

Please give a push to these charts, and if you think helpful, the tweets …

Mega- thanks to desertflower for alerting us to 2 of these very important graphs!!

Thank you!

#FORWARD

74. 281 Ladyhawke
    June 24, 2012 at 12:51 pm

18 Reasons the Affordable Care Act Was the Greatest Achievement for the Middle Class Since Medicare

By LOLGOP

———————–

On either Thursday, June 21 or Monday, June 25, the Supreme Court will issue its decision on the Affordable Care Act, which I’ve grown to enjoy calling ObamaCare. National treasure Jonathan Cohn describes likely scenarios for how the Court will rule, and the prospects are grim. Likely, some—if not all—of the bill will be struck down.

Watching this epic achievement for working people being erased summarily by a Court increasingly tainted by conservative politics makes me want to holler. Health care in the United States was actually socialized in the dumbest possible way through a law signed by Ronald Reagan. ObamaCare fixes that broken system and strengthens Medicare for decades to come.

To appreciate the nightmare of the Court taking a sledgehammer to the greatest progressive achievement in half a century, you need to read Alec MacGillis’ “What New Law?” The thesis: The people who will benefit most from this landmark bill have no idea what’s in it.

——————————–

June 24, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Love it that the campaign’s steadfast decision to continue with bain truth telling is making the thugs fumble and tumble and utter utter nonsense. The thugs are panicking since the truth about mittbot is slowly sinking in despite the best efforts from the msm shills.

76. 283 LOL
    June 24, 2012 at 1:03 pm

SOMEONE IS GETTING FIRED AT GALLUP…..PBO GAINED 6 PTS OVERNIGHT…APPROVAL 51..DISAPPROVAL 45. I know its noise but I find this hilarious in light of all the PBO’s BAD HORRIBLE JUNE MEME.

June 24, 2012 at 1:12 pm

The campaign needs to counteract this!!!

Meet Zac Moffatt, The Digital Mastermind Who’s Trying To Take Down The Obama Campaign

78. June 24, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Vice President Joe Biden is planning a two-day swing through eastern Iowa that the Obama campaign is billing as the “Strengthening the Middle Class Tour.”

Biden will hit Waterloo on Tuesday and Dubuque on Wednesday. He also has an event in Clinton.

“[T]he Vice President will discuss how President Obama is helping create an economy built to last – one focused on reclaiming the security of the rural middle class and restoring the basic values of hard work and fair play that made our country great,” the campaign said in an announcement.

“Vice President Biden will also lay out the clear economic choice in this election–between the President’s vision for moving our country forward, ensuring an economy built to last and economic security for the middle class, and Mitt Romney’s vision, which would take us back to the same failed economic policies that brought on the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression.”