Jun

What a day….

President Barack Obama talks on the phone with Solicitor General Donald Verrilli in the Oval Office, after learning of the Supreme Court’s ruling on the “Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act,” June 28, 2012. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

AP: ….In the split-second rush to report the Supreme Court’s health care decision Thursday, CNN and Fox News Channel got it wrong.

…. CNN apologized for its error, saying it “regrets that it didn’t wait to report out the full and complete opinion” that upheld the mandate requiring virtually all Americans to have health insurance. Fox, however, insisted it was right. “Fox reported the facts, as they came in,” said network executive Michael Clemente.

The inaccurate reports were the first ones seen by Obama, who was watching four television monitors outside the Oval Office. White House Counsel Katherine Ruemmler came in moments later with the true story.

…. Anchor Wolf Blitzer and reporter Kate Bolduan reported at 10:08 a.m. that the health care law had been struck down …. the screen read: “Supreme Ct. Kills Individual Mandate.” The news was tweeted and emailed to the network’s followers.

“The court striking down that mandate is a dramatic blow to the president,” said CNN reporter John King.

…. “Let’s take a deep breath and see what the justices actually decided,” Blitzer said. “It could be more complicated than we originally thought.”

Two minutes later, CNN reported the correct decision … that the entire law had been upheld, with King calling it “a huge, huge victory for President Obama.”

…. Obama’s first news about the decision came from television monitors outside the Oval Office, where the cable channels were reporting that the mandate had been struck down, according to administration officials. Within moments, Ruemmler hurried toward the White House and flashed the president two thumbs up. She explained her reading, and Obama hugged her as Chief of Staff Jack Lew looked on.

More here

Charles Pierce: …. you should really read Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s opinion in the health-care case, if, for no other reason, than to watch as, I think at least partly for the pure mischief-making hell of it, she roasts Antonin Scalia on a spit over that stupid argument about broccoli that, because he’s more bored with his day-job than the average toll-taker on the Mass Pike, Scalia dragged into the Court’s oral arguments from some drive-time doughbrain on AM radio:

That is so of the market for cars, and of the market for broccoli as well. Although an individual might buy a car or a crown of broccoli one day, there is no certainty she will ever do so. And if she eventually wants a car or has a craving for broccoli, she will be obliged to pay at the counter before receiving the vehicle or nourishment. She will get no free ride or food, at the expense of another consumer forced to pay an inflated price. Upholding the minimum coverage provision on the ground that all are participants or will be participants in the health-care market would therefore carry no implication that Congress may justify under the Commerce Clause a mandate to buy other products and services.

I hope she giggled while she read that.

More here

Nick Anderson

UK Independent: Huddled round a TV, with news-radio blaring in the background, Jerry and June Caldwell anxiously awaited the Supreme Court’s all-important verdict at breakfast time yesterday.

When it emerged that, against many expectations, ‘Obamacare’ had survived more-or-less intact, the couple leapt from their sofa, punched the air, and performed a celebratory high-five. “This,” declared Jerry, “is a great day for America!”

He should know. As victims of the free-market excess of the current system, the Caldwells are among hundreds of thousands of Americans who each year face bankruptcy because of unpaid medical bills….

…. ‘Obamacare’ won’t fix their problems overnight. But when it takes effect in 18 months, it will at least allow the Caldwells – who thanks to recent stays in intensive care are currently unable to find any health cover, at any price – to once more join the ranks of the insured. “From 2014, people can’t be turned down because of some pre-existing condition. And the cost of insurance will fall to a decent level,” says June.  “That’s all that matters. We will be allowed and able to purchase insurance. As to the future, almost all civilised countries have some form of public healthcare. I feel that the US will get to that point some time. And the Supreme Court has now taken us to step number one on that road.”

More here

Charles Pierce: … as this whole pursuit of Eric Holder has gathered speed, I had no doubt in my mind at all that, sooner or later, he was going to be the first cabinet official ever held in contempt of Congress, and that it didn’t matter that the cheapjack grifter Darrell Issa already has said he doesn’t think that any crimes were committed, or that the White House was in any way involved, or that Fortune magazine pretty much blew up the raison d’etre for the whole business over the weekend. I just assumed, based on long experience, that, once they opened the ball on Eric Holder, they weren’t going to stop until they got at least a piece of what they wanted. This isn’t because they’re reckless partisans. It’s because they’re fking vandals who have the votes.

… So 17 Democrats went over the side and voted with the Republicans. The NRA has managed to scare themselves up a “bipartisan majority” about which the Republicans can crow. The rest of the Democrats proceeded to walk out en masse and Holder is now the first cabinet member in history to be held in contempt of Congress. What could not happen to John Mitchell during Watergate, Caspar Weinberger during Iran-Contra, or Alberto Gonzales during the scandal over U.S. attorneys, has happened to Eric Holder over something hardly anyone thinks is a crime, and almost nobody really understands. This is a triumph for know-nothingism, for the rule of the talk-show and the black helicopter crowd. And the Democratic party doesn’t have the faintest idea how to fight this.

More here

Friday:

10:25: President Obama departs the White House

12:55: Arrives in Colorado Springs

4:45: Departs Colorado Springs

8:05: Arrives at the White House

TOD Fundraisers:

a4alice * Alycee * BWD * CollegeKay * Cookemom * DonnaDem4Obama

Hgerhard * HZ * Judith Fardig * Mae Who Love Our CIC

Marlz * Meta * Pamela *prettyfoot58 * proudmemberofglobalzero * Theo67 * The Obama Diary

(If you’d like to have your fundraiser added to the list, let me know in the comments)

384 Responses to “What a day….”

June 28, 2012 at 8:29 pm

• 2 Proud Former White House Intern
      June 28, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Grrrrr!

June 28, 2012 at 8:32 pm

It’s you and I again, after a long while. Let’s be happy together on this joyous of all days in recent TOD history. :lol: {{PFI}}

• 4 Proud Former White House Intern
          June 28, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I know right. I love to mess with you :).

June 28, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Feeling’s mutual. ;) :lol:
            Today however, I’m just holding hands and twirling around and around with you with laughter bubbling out long and unrestrained. One more check mark on the list of accomplishments under this president! One more piece of validation that OUR Community Organizer knows what he’s doing! One more nail in the ‘coffin’ of those who have no plans or goals for the country……and 4 more years for President Barack Hussein Obama. :lol: :lol: I have NEVER before had so much joy , so much fun with politics. Life’s good! {{{PFI}}}

June 28, 2012 at 8:30 pm

What a wonderful, heart warming, meaningful day!

• 19 Dudette
      June 28, 2012 at 8:35 pm

VC — top of the heap! Go! Go! Go!

June 28, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Thanks, D! :lol: :lol: It’s all the dancing around from the moment I read Chips’ “Obamacare Upheld” sign that loosened by stride. I totally believe it, but ‘I can’t believe it’, so I’ve been wiggling and stomping and grinning and generally acting like I’m on steroids, and in this way stumbled across the finish line. :razz: This sure makes up for the fact that I had to miss all of yesterday’s posts.

• 21 Dudette
          June 28, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Wiggle and stomp all you want! There’s great cause to celebrate!

June 28, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Dudette, I never saw that before! Do you have a song for every occasion at your fingertips? You, and Ison, can be the DJ at my wedding – in my ‘next’ life. :lol:

• 23 Dudette
              June 28, 2012 at 8:57 pm

YouTube search is my good good friend. :-)

• 24 isonprize
              June 28, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Hey VC, Thanks for the compliment. I love music! There are times when the lyric, or the melody or the beat, ofrthe voice of the artist just put the perfect icing on a situation. The above song is definitely perfect for the “Obamacare” decision today!! Just perfect!! :cool:

June 28, 2012 at 10:06 pm

‘Lo Ison! :lol: I have noticed that there are a handful of you music types here on TOD, and then there’s moi who can only identify a song by the words. I’m the one whose offspring, when he was younger, would regularly whisper in church ‘Mom, that’s not what they are singing!’

2. 26 Proud Former White House Intern
    June 28, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Yes indeed!

3. 32 collegekay
    June 28, 2012 at 8:31 pm

I love him <3

4. 33 miss pat
    June 28, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I wonder if I am fourth? Is there a prize foer fourth? I am never first in anything!

• 38 utaustinliberal
      June 28, 2012 at 10:11 pm

I’m all choked up. I can imagine Teddy just smiling and heaving a huge sigh of relief. Miss him, his fighting spirit, his grit, his compassion, and his courage. :)

5. 40 collegekay
    June 28, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Thanks to everyone who donated to my fundraiser for PBO. I will be emailing you a thank you note. :-)

June 28, 2012 at 8:34 pm

GM folks.

What a great day indeed.

Obamacare wins. Italy wins. Many dems walk out over the holder witch hunt. (fuck the 17 racist ones).

• 45 amk for obama
      June 28, 2012 at 8:35 pm

And Chips puts up those fundraiser links about which I have been bugging her for years. :)

• 46 amk for obama
      June 28, 2012 at 8:40 pm

And TOD hits 11 million.

• June 28, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Amk, I’m on my 11 millionth thimble of champagne ….feeling a little woozy …. but still singing…..

• 48 amk for obama
          June 28, 2012 at 8:52 pm

So you finished the crate I left all by yourself ?

Spain or Italy- oh, the dilemma.

• June 28, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Yup, I flinushed evry dlop.

Spain or Italy …… I’m struggling with this one. I’d very much like to have footballing babies with Xavi and/or Iniesta, but despite him playing for the Satanic Manchester City, me loves Mario Balotelli severely. Oooooh, decisions, decisions.

• 50 amk for obama
              June 28, 2012 at 9:07 pm

footballing babies – do they bounce when kicked ?

form sez spanish, heart sez eyetalians.

• June 28, 2012 at 9:11 pm

“footballing babies – do they bounce when kicked?”

amk!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :lol:

“form sez spanish, heart sez eyetalians.”

Hmmmm …. me being the authority who tipped the Dutch to win this thing – and if not them, the French – I’d say: form sez Eyetalians, hearts sez either will do very nicely!

June 28, 2012 at 9:07 pm

My supporting vote = simplify the issue and just have a footballing baby with each.

June 28, 2012 at 9:05 pm

WHAT!!!!????? J 11 million already? eez Louise, a gal can’t be busy for 1 day without totally missing out on the real things in life!

/muttering….not fair to have major happenings when I’m not around….just not fair… they could have at least waited until today. ….Oops! SMH – not going to let that dampen my exuberance, n siree!/

CONGRATS, Ms Chips! You continue to be the queen of our cyber community and as such have a lifetime reign.

7. 56 Liberal Librarian
    June 28, 2012 at 8:38 pm

8. 57 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    June 28, 2012 at 8:38 pm

The strangest thing ….

#Tweeps4OBAMA
    #TWEETON

9. 58 japa21
    June 28, 2012 at 8:39 pm

And I see we went over 11 million. Haven’t looked at the previous thread to see if noted. Congratualtions Chips. This may be a record day for you in terms of hits. Even though I am sure some came from RWNJs.

• June 28, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Ah, thank you Japa, I completely missed the moment! A strange absence of RWNJs today, thankfully, but lots and lots of new people trying to post happy messages, but me being a suspicious sort, I didn’t let most of them in for fear they’d infest the place while I slept. Way too paranoid me :oops:

• 60 japa21
        June 28, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Go ahead. We’ll roust them out. You had over 40,000 hits just today. Think of how many of those new ones may turn into good money donaters if thy feel welcome.

• 61 Dudette
          June 28, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Woot! Party time!!! Congrats Chips!! Congrats TOD Family!!! :-D :-D :-D

• 62 amk for obama
          June 28, 2012 at 8:51 pm

+1. Everyone should get one chance at least. Open the floodgates.

The trolls will be shot the moment they show their ugly mugs.

• 63 Liberal Librarian
          June 28, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Gay marriage. DREAM Act. ACA. There is a providence in PBO’s planning. Nothing is coincidental.

• June 28, 2012 at 8:56 pm

That’s true Japa, but the oldest trick in the book has made me a wary old crow – “I love Obama!” followed by “Hes distroyin or constatuchun”, from the same poster. Only hibernating bears sleep longer than me, just afraid when I emerge from my, eh, rest, the place will be riddled with these people. But if you fearless warriors are happy to deal with them …. okay, I’ll let ‘em on through!

• 74 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
        June 28, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Way to go, Chips!!! Will it be 44 million by Inauguration Day, 2013? Let’s be sure it is!!!

#Tweeps4OBAMA
        Yes We Can

• June 28, 2012 at 9:15 pm

You’re very kind Bob, but for 44 million I think we’ll be aiming for Sasha’s inauguration in 2043?:-)

• 76 Dudette
            June 28, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Allow for increased interest as election gets closer and say, 50k avg x 160 days (between today and 1/20/2013) would give us roughly 8 million hits. Not too shabby!

• 77 Obama Grandmama
      June 28, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Drats! Thought you meant we went over 11 Million dollars in fundraising! Now that would have been something! Not that 11 million hits isn’t good. lol

10. 78 magapie
    June 28, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I must say, with all due deliberation and reflection: FUCKING YAHOOO SCOTUS!!!!!!!!!!

(And what are repub-tards gonna do now, savage and excoriate their fair boy mr. Roberts? hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!! )

June 28, 2012 at 8:39 pm

12. June 28, 2012 at 8:43 pm

What a tease. I knew there was no way I’d be first, 2 days in a row! Congratulations VC! what a wonderful day for Americans, even the ones who do not know it.

Nancey Pelosi was sooooo excited on Ed. She set him straight when we sorta tried to rain on the parade, like we just settled for what we could get. She said oh no we got much more. She says the goals are met with much of what would have been gained with a public option. Maybe states will move forward on single payer. I hope we can really start driving this home what’s been ganed by so many without or without enough, as well as what is to come. I love that insurance companies have to spend 80%-85% on actual health care. All those folks and companies getting a rebate. The non profits will be awesome, and the expansion of medicare.

There is no but…this is good for the country. I’ll be donating to some of ya’lls fundraising pages by the 30th. I hit the rest of you next month. GREAT JOB everybody.

• 82 Obama Grandmama
      June 28, 2012 at 9:22 pm

I liked that Nancy said there would be 4 million jobs created from ACA. You don’t hear the job creation part much. All you hear is job killing from the other side. We need to talk of the ACA potential jobs more.

13. June 28, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I see Rubio is running around scaring everyone that the “IRS is going to come after you”, warning the uninsured that the IRS is going to snap up their refunds and charge them fees and a bunch of other hokum. Rubio is a real piece of work—-doesn’t have the integrity of a flea—-yelling “they’re coming to get you! And your guns too! Be afraid! Very afraid!”

• 84 ChristiMTL
      June 28, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Oh yes….the IRS will be after you!….I was checking today articles at Think Progress……and reading comments.

I copied a comment that represent so well why so many people are uninformed.

Rubio: “…claiming that millions of Americans are going to have “an IRS problem.”.

After Rubio said that, the stupid, inept, CNN reporter never challenged that statement, she never asked him where he got the figures! When a U.S. Senator says that a court ruling could cause MILLIONS of Americans to have an IRS problem, don’t you think he should be forced to back up that statement with some facts? If Americans seem totally uninformed on the issues, we’ve just seen why.

That reporter should be fired!

The ”reporter” was Republican hack Candy Crowley…..
      Figures!

• June 28, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Totally agree. Innocent unless proven guilty, this is how all those claims should be handled. Too much getting away with the ‘wmd’ line of throwing out whatever, without any REAL proof.

• 86 nathkatun7
        June 28, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Let’s face it, ChristiMTL, most of the MSM are are serving as the propaganda arm of the GOP.

14. 87 miss pat
    June 28, 2012 at 8:44 pm

They were too quick to pander to the Repubs. They carry water for them all the time. I am so happy t hat this day turned out the way it did. But either way we’d just press on and get the President re-elected. That’s our goal.

15. June 28, 2012 at 8:46 pm

And I see the Kochsters’ American for Prosperity are going to launch a $9 million anti health care law TV ad campaign.

16. 93 Dudette
    June 28, 2012 at 8:46 pm

THE OBAMA DIARY 11 MILLION HITS STRONG!! Congratulations Chips!!

17. June 28, 2012 at 8:49 pm

18. 100 lisalovesobama
    June 28, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I’m in such a good mood, I’d like to play my happy song:

19. 103 magapie
    June 28, 2012 at 8:51 pm

And such a CLASSIC tweet: IT’S CONSTITUTIONAL BITCHES.

20. 106 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    June 28, 2012 at 8:53 pm

It’s all about #KOCHSTER efforts to suppress voters ….

#Tweeps4OBAMA
    Yes We Can

June 28, 2012 at 8:55 pm

So are the roads to Canada now choc-a-block with the rethugs ?

• 108 ChristiMTL
      June 28, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Oh great, that’s what we need…..angry teabaggers lol

• 112 lisalovesobama
      June 28, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Canadians have secured the border with armed guards and militia men. They’ve built a fence, added a moat and attached a drawbridge and filled the moat with water and lots of hungry gators. I don’t think the rethugs will make it into Canada. They don’t want no stinky aliens coming to their country and taking their jobs and increasing their crime rates. America—- the Mexico of Canada. Go figure. :|

• 113 Dudette
        June 28, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Papers please.

• 114 lisalovesobama
          June 28, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Ha! I don’t think they’ll get close enough to ask that, Dudette.
          ps- thanks so much for that link to MSNBC live. I was able to watch everything.

• 116 miss pat
        June 28, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Canada has strict immigration rules. Most of them headed that way will not be able to find jobs there or the jobs they will find will be hard labor jobs. They have to have someone to sponsor them. You just can’t waltz in like that and expect to get on their health plan. So they better stay right here and accept things they cannot change , The Canadians do not want them and America tolerates them. God bless America. People are dying to come here. Why not make even exchanges. Send them to countries that have people waiting on visas and allow those people to come.

• 119 Theo67
      June 28, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Good evening all – hailing from Toronto, Ontario! Lot’s of catching up. I was going thru serious withdrawals all day! 😖

First – thank you so much for all the donations. So good to see donations accompanying my solo one on there. I’ll send out thank-you emails as soon as I can.

Second – congratulations, Chipsticks, on reaching 11 million hits!! 😘

Ok-catching up on the day’s happenings…

• 121 susanne
      June 28, 2012 at 11:50 pm

no, they’re paddling out to their new island, romnesia!

• 122 Smoothscotch
      June 29, 2012 at 1:38 am

I called PM and suggested in the strongest language to put more guards at the border AND check for PAPERS.

22. 124 Dudette
    June 28, 2012 at 9:13 pm

U.S.A U.S.A U.S.A U.S.A U.S.A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Williams sisters win doubles match at Wimbledon

23. June 28, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Congrats on the 11 Million!!!!!!!!!!! That’s fantastic. Sure glad I come here for my news and not to the MSM…who so chronically get it wrong. Long Live the Chipsticks, Goddess of Goodness and Snark. Speaking of Snark…just how did Politico report on this? And how drunk is Snark Knoller right now?

24. 129 Dudette
    June 28, 2012 at 9:18 pm

U.S.A U.S.A U.S.A U.S.A U.S.A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a serious case of Olympic FEEEEVAAAAAHHH!!!!!

Bryshon Nellum makes courageous run to London
    23-year-old recovers from gang shooting in 2008 to make Olympic 400m (video with article)

25. June 28, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Congrats, Chips, on 11M+ visitors!! Wish I had a thimble full of champagne to celebrate with you!! BRAVA!!

26. June 28, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Chips,
    Japa says, you have a secret ray Gun?
    You really have a secret ray gun?
    No way?

27. 136 magapie
    June 28, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I had to read it twice but this is spot on and searingly funny!: You should really read Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s opinion in the health-care case, if, for no other reason, than to watch as, I think at least partly for the pure mischief-making hell of it, she roasts Antonin Scalia on a spit over that stupid argument about broccoli that, because he’s more bored with his day-job than the average toll-taker on the Mass Pike, Scalia dragged into the Court’s oral arguments from some drive-time doughbrain on AM radio:

28. June 28, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Just for you stat-loving people, we’ve had a busy day at the blog, 34,088 views so far, but the busiest ever was October 5, 2011 (56,804) for this post:

I can’t even remember now, but it was a response to more vile bashing of FLOTUS …. heck, I love the woman!

• 139 Dudette
      June 28, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Excellent post, my dear! No wonder so many people are drawn to you… er, POTUS and FLOTUS! :-D

• 145 PoliticalJunkessa
      June 28, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Sweet.

• 146 isonprize
      June 28, 2012 at 10:01 pm

OMG, Chica. I just strolled thru those PBO & FLOTUS pictures. They are just precious!! I LOVE THEM. And he is even MORE ENCHANTED by her now, than he was then. If that’s even possible. They are perfect together. So true, so real.

I still love, love, LOVE the look on Michelle’s face as she is working, digging in the dirt with shovel in hand, and he’s just standing there, probably saying something smart. They have such a real relationship. You can see it, you can almost feel it!! :smile: :smile:

• June 28, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Oh Isonprize, I have a gazillion most-loved pics, but that one….

…. is right up there. Cracks me up every time. The expression on his face …. I think he was probably lucky Michelle didn’t shove the shovel, you know!

June 28, 2012 at 9:24 pm

30. June 28, 2012 at 9:28 pm

We have reasons to donate:

31. 155 PoliticalJunkessa
    June 28, 2012 at 9:29 pm

What a day indeed!

Thanks for including the TPM video, Chips. I just got in from a long day and didn’t want to ruin it by watching any talking head tonight. I had forgotten about TPM’s 100-second recaps, but it was just the perfect thing to give me a look at our hapless media in a nice bite-sized portion. I now feel no need to turn to any of the “news” channels.

Excellent work once again, Mistress/Mayor/Mommy Chips! You have made this the best place on the internet on all occasions, but especially on occasions such as these. Love ya to pieces. ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Viva Obama! Viva USA!

32. 156 taiping1
    June 28, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Congratulatoon on 11 million and your stewardship of this vibrant committed community. As an internist I was delighted that my patients can continue to get preventive care. My OFA team leader now has the high-risk health insurance at a very reasonable rate. She has diabetes and can now afford medications and monitoring. She will be able to avoid the complications of uncontrolled diabetes. All the provisions listed in the WH site do not capture the more fundamental changes that are occurring in health care organizations. When ACA passed my large multi-specialty clinic started planning for the large numbers who will be able to obtain health care in 2014. We are working on making health care more accessible, higher quality, more efficient, and more responsive. We have been cutting costs. I had tears in my eyes watching Al Sharton’s segment on the President and Nancy Pelosi’s (and Harry Reid) accomplishment. More fired up than ever to organize for a landslide.

33. June 28, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Oh what a great day!!! The day before I wasn’t nervous but from 8-10AM my belly was rumbling with nervous gas..lol. I was watching twitter for the ruling and you should have seen me scrolling like a mad woman as I saw the news from CNN and then from SCOTUS blog and then from NPR and then Greg Sargent saying ‘slow down’ and then AP and then….OMG!! Whew – UPHELD!! YAHOOO!

I wish I was in a room with all of you. My co-workers were just like, “oh”. Pffft

34. June 28, 2012 at 9:34 pm

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

35. 162 Pamela
    June 28, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Yo, CHIPSTICKS! Sorry, I know you asked us not to, but I cracked your thermometer just now, so many things to dedicate today! June 28, 2012, RIP to the GOP, except none of their Souls will know peace for a long long time. We all make our choices, and those choices are based on generosity and compassion, or not. We all have access to free will. Bless you all! :)

• 163 Dudette
      June 28, 2012 at 9:39 pm

That’s like an awesome sauce sundae with a cherry on top! Way to go Pamela!!

• 164 Pamela
        June 28, 2012 at 9:48 pm

{{{{{{{{{dudette}}}}}}}}} me and kitty are partying here! Candles and incense alight, oh wait, we always light those! Oh well, it’s all good! :)

• 165 Dudette
          June 28, 2012 at 10:02 pm

You rock, Family! Speaking of family, how’s our intrepid traveling blogger doing?

• 166 Pamela
            June 28, 2012 at 10:34 pm

http://www.rabbitearth.com/ She is doin’ her mama proud! :lol: Rocking France, already speaking French (has studied for a long time), has another week, and is making some very good connections to some of the well-established vintners, such as Pierre Chainier and Armand de Brignac…. Taking tours on horseback and such like! I surely hope some genuine opportunities open up for our little rabbit! I appreciate your asking! :)

36. 167 donna dem 4 obama
    June 28, 2012 at 9:38 pm

The #Fun4ObamaRaisers (our TOD fundraising Team) got over 190 (and counting) donations today.

See what you can do in just one day TOD. :cool: :shock: :cool:

Good Night My Friends. It was one hellava good day. May we have many many more between now and November 6th

• June 28, 2012 at 9:49 pm

It was!! HUGE thanks to everyone who showed their generous support and commitment to PBO on this historic day. It’s very exciting and invigorating to see this. And thanks to the ones who dreamed up this idea and helped us carry it out. OBAMACARE!!!!

37. 169 ChristiMTL
    June 28, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Single payer is a different system, we never deal with insurance companies. .If you’re Canadian, you’re insured……that’s it….the far lefties who think it would have been possible in the US, in this climate, are out of their minds….what President Obama did was miraculous considering what he had to deal with…………..,these Republicans are nuts, for real….I won’t mention the blue dogs……

June 28, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Wimmin.

We have an open balcony with an open loft at the top for storing junk (things we will never use but wifey thinks we may use one day in the far, far future). Then the pigeons found the loft and started nesting. Wifey was all, “oooo, look pigeons”, until they started shitting all over the place. Then she put strings all over the balcony to prevent them from coming in.

Now stuck with remorse, she is putting out food and water on the balcony ledge for the pigeons everyday, which the stupid pigeons feast on every day without realizing that she was the villain who locked them out.

Wimmin….

• 180 ChristiMTL
      June 28, 2012 at 9:42 pm

lol ooooo, look pigeons…..

• 181 Dudette
      June 28, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Reads like an allegory for how men treat us!

First we’re all excited to see them and give them love and care, then they shit on us, we kick ‘em out, and later feel bad about it, like it’s our fault they were dicks!

• 191 Liberal Librarian
      June 28, 2012 at 9:46 pm

I never wanted a dog. Now I have a dog.

Women.

• June 28, 2012 at 9:51 pm

I’m not kidding amk, I’m in tears here. And I love your wifey intensely!

The spooky thing is, I’m having a major pigeon issue at the moment too. A family of them have built a nest in a tree overlooking my garden, so the Cristiano Ronaldos of the bird world – magpies – have gathered in an attempt to steal their young. So, every day there are at least 36 flappy-wing-battles in the garden, one more terrifying than the next. The worst thing, though, is that when I wake up in the morning the first thing I see when I look out the window is a magpie on a wire shitting all over my grass. He – and they can only be hes – lifts his taily wing and white stuff spews like a waterfall.

Meanwhile, underneath all this activity, is the cat who was deserted by the people next door when they moved on. I bought and constructed a small-dog-kennel for her and set it up in a pleasant part of the garden, but the deal was that she’d scare off flappy-wing-battles and the like. Does she? My arse. She sleeps her way through them, usually waking up covered in magpie crap.

Any way, love to your wifey amk, she sounds magnificent!

June 28, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO behind! Trying to catch up on this momentous day…I would like to know what the “motion of referral” is that Nancy Pelosi mentioned. Anyone know?
    Chips…holy crap! You are amazing…truly:) Love you and love that we have this wondrous place to share the goodness of this President.

• 199 Dudette
      June 28, 2012 at 9:46 pm

DF!! What’s shakin’ Bacon?!! Good to see ya!

June 28, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Are you saying I’m a porker:) !! Thank you, Dudette…good to see you back! Been lost today…well, since this afternoon. Took my son to find a JOB:) Time to let him fly…’cuz he’s NOT going to sleep all day and play and have fun over summer break :) Now, he’s cooking us diinner….I love that!

• 201 Dudette
          June 28, 2012 at 9:54 pm

I couldn’t think of a quick rhyme for shakin’ woman! Don’t be so sensiTIVE. You know I luvs ya, sistah!

Love you putting the hammer down on the kid, so he doesn’t become a slacker. Go Mama Bear!

June 28, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Love you:) You make me LOL….Hell yes on the hammer thing! He’s such a great kid..couldn’t work during school because of his lacrosse schedule and studying…..he actually is looking forward to making his own way…if I could clone him, I would.

• 203 Liberal Librarian
      June 28, 2012 at 9:47 pm

DF, did you get my response?

June 28, 2012 at 9:54 pm

No, love…I was trying to read and catch up…and then I would post where I thought you would see it, and Quick Draw (Chips) would have a new thread up….what did you say?? About the linky thing to Mittens???

• 205 Liberal Librarian
          June 28, 2012 at 9:58 pm

yeah. USA Today no longer has the op-ed on its site. So the pro-Mitt site is the only one that has it that I could find. Whatever. They can spin all they want, but Mitt urged PBO to copy him. And NRO is pretty much right: Mitt cannot effectively argue against Obamacare, especially now that it’s settled law.

June 28, 2012 at 10:34 pm

I know! What a freaking loser..and it’s only going to ramp up…he will be lost in the dust before Nov rolls around. He is a weak candidate.

• 208 utaustinliberal
            June 28, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Hahahahahahaha……That’s freaking hilarious. Strangely….that looks like McConnell? Maybe a distant cousin?

June 28, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Some 32 million people (a majority of them women) will gain access to health care insurance coverage, including 16 million people (also a majority women) who will gain access through Medicaid.

–About 3/4 of those who purchase health insurance through insurance exchanges (those with incomes between 133 percent and 400 percent of the poverty level) will receive a federal subsidy to help pay for coverage.

–By 2014 at the latest, insurers will be banned from “gender rating,” or charging women higher premiums than men for the same coverage (both for individual policies and for employer group plans with fewer than 100 employees). In most states, women with individual plans pay on average some 48 percent higher premiums than men do for the same health insurance coverage.

41. 210 Dudette
    June 28, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Snark Gun Settng: ON STUN!
    ————————————————–
    GOP: Boldly Offering Solutions to Our Nation’s Symptoms

Nothing says leadership more than bravely standing up against a concern that’s not actually a problem. We’ve had a one-sided battle with Sharia Law in the U.S. No one is fighting for replacing U.S. law with an Islamic moral code, but nonetheless Republicans are heroically fighting against it. Same with aborted fetuses in commercial food stuffs: Not something that’s ever happened but earlier this year Republican freshman Oklahoma state senator Ralph Shortey had the temerity to introduce a bill to outlaw it.

Republicans love what they call “simple solutions” but it’s really just the easiest possible answer to a trumped up crisis. In short: busy work. America needs to streamline for the challenges of the future so we can remain competitive (blah blah blah). Yet Republican offers are akin to organizing all the paperclips in the office by color and size.

Republicans and bureaucracy are, after all, frenemies. Sure they tell the media they despise bureaucracy but secretly love it when it makes them appear to be doing something. Even better if it keeps them from doing anything difficult.

For example: We’re in the middle of an obesity epidemic. It’s the number two leading cause of preventable death in this country. The Center for Disease Control estimates 112,000 American deaths a year due to obesity, this is down from their previous estimate of 365,000 deaths from poor nutrition and physical inactivity. The CDC reports in 2008 Americans forked over $147 billion in medical costs on obesity. We’re dying and going broke from being too fat.

But what are Republicans trying to warn us against? Terrorism. China. Russia. Obamacare. ACORN. The New Black Panthers. The Fed. All of which cumulatively killed no Americans last year.

It’s (ironically) lazy to try to and scare Americans about some elusive menace in order to avoid the reality that we’ve become the proverbial elephants in our own living rooms.

Illegal immigration? Republicans say to secure the border—build a fence—arrest anyone who even looks illegal. Mitt Romney said Arizona’s infamous SB 1070 should be a model for the nation. Which would be something if Mexicans were still coming into the U.S. They’re not. Immigration from Mexico is now net zero. That is actually a way bigger problem than undocumented workers (whom we love in boom times for a way to circumvent the minimum wage and exploit a non-litigious underclass). It’s the fact we are no longer an attractive enough country to motivate Mexicans to come here.

But as we saw last week with the Supreme Court ruling on Arizona’s law, governor Jan Brewer’s just doubled down on a non-problem, “We cannot forget that we are here today because the federal government has failed the American people regarding immigration policy, has failed to protect its citizens, has failed to preserve the rule of law and has failed to secure our borders.”

For a party that likes to peddle free market and common sense they sure get a lot of traction ginning up irrational fears.

Our energy plan is stuck firmly in the last century, but that’s not the point the presumptive Republican nominee decided to make. In March Mitt Romney told Fox News President Obama “has done everything in his power to make it harder for us to get oil and natural gas in this country, driving up the price of those commodities in the case of gasoline.” Gas prices were the thing Republicans were going to fix by paying attention to them! With little fanfare, gas prices are down now by the way. Production has increased overall under the Obama administration. Republicans managed to sound the alarm and assign blame for a symptom while steadfastly avoiding the cause entirely.

Think I’m way off here? Remember this is the party that in the wake of September 11th—an attack by citizens of Saudi Arabia, organized in Afghanistan by a leader hanging out in Lebanon—decided to invade (wait for it) Iraq.

Because things indirectly involved with real problems hate us for our freedoms

42. 212 magapie
    June 28, 2012 at 9:55 pm

MANY celebratory India Pale Ales here in Albuquerque!! But y’all understand!

43. June 28, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Jared Cunningham just got drafted at pick 24 in the NBA draft. The announcers said, he played for the Presidents brother in- law!

44. 217 prettyfoot58
    June 28, 2012 at 9:59 pm

helloooooooooooooooo everyone…

thank you sooooo very much for your contributionsssss….to my grassroots fundraising page…

45. June 28, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Look, never mind the Supreme Court and all that, the important issue of the day is: why am I suddenly getting so little spam?

Apart from a nice person trying to sell us “Generic Neurontin (Gabapentin) With No Prescription”, there’s been next to no spammy activity today.

I’m feeling a bit neglected – rejected, even.

PS If I buy the Generic Neurontin, what’ll it do for me?

46. June 28, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Chips,
    You just reached your fundraiser goal, time to change to 25k!
    Also, Donna reached Hers, time to change to 15k…
    Everybody else is doing pretty good, too!

47. June 28, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Its stunning to me that 4, FOUR!!! of the justices wanted to throw out the entire ACA. All. of. it. SCOTUS is truly half wing nut.

48. June 28, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Big bummer I can’t find any video of Mrs. O’s fantastic speech today at the AME Church’s 49th Conference. It was a really great speech. She poured our her heart.

49. 240 Liberal Librarian
    June 28, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Ok, time to slip into shorts and make mahsel a nice gimlet. Talk amongst yourselves.

50. 241 mtmarilyn
    June 28, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Good evening everyone! I have in convention all day but have been able to follow all the news with my wonderful Droid. BTW Chips, I have to tell you how much I like the new format that is for mobiles. it is so much faster and less stuff to scroll thru.

I want to thank all of you for all the commentary. I donated to all those who have fundraisers, because I so appreciate all of you.

To all of you who tweet. Thank you for the great tweets. It is so easy to retweet on my phone. As I am in all the meetings and lectures I can scroll thru all the tweets and thru TOD.

I am so thankful for the Obamacare ruling and so mad about Holders contempt. We must remember this and fight for a democratic congress. It will be hard here in MT. I am not please with any of my democrats, but they are better than the Repubs.

it’s been a very long day and i have 2 more so good night!

51. June 28, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Robney Camp says they raised 3 million today online.
    Yeah right.
    It’s probably the whole month, for online donations. I mean, 25k donors to Robney in 1 day?
    Whatever!

52. June 28, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Update on Highway bill, flood insurance and student loan rates-

The Senate adjourned Thursday evening without voting on three major pieces of legislation with fast approaching deadlines.

53. 253 Liberal Librarian
    June 28, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Obama commercial on ESPN!!!!

54. June 28, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Has anyone heard from Yardarm recently? If he’s taking a break from the madness that’s compleeeeeeeetely understandable, but just want to know everything’s okay? Yardarm, are you out there?

55. 260 Dudette
    June 28, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Okay Family, I’ve gotta roll. If I’m not totally comatose later I might stop back in…

For now, I’ll say “Toodle-ooo” and, on my way out, drop these links for anyone who wants to follow the upcoming Olympics:

Peace and love!

56. 261 TheWorld4Obama
    June 28, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Hi All,

I just dropped some dollars in some of the fundraising pages for Meta, CollegeKay, The Obama Diary, DonnaDem4Obama, Cookemom and Pamela.

Pamela I think I just helped you reach $100 which gets you to half your goal.

Thanks for all the hard work you guys do to have PBO reelected and we shall have a party on Nov 6 night was the mission is accomplished.

• 262 Pamela
      June 28, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Bless your heart, TW4O! I saw that, am quite giddy with the thrill of reaching the halfway place on my thermometer! I have been making small donations around, as well, trying not to miss anyone, just loving the GR system the OFA has set up, it couldn’t be easier or more fun! Those people are brilliant, just like PBO, and just like TOD! ;)

57. 263 LunarSea
    June 28, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Evening all. What a day! Would you kind people please help find the grey matter that escaped from all those GOP and teabaggers’ exploding heads? They may have use for it sometime in the future. Or not.

So much good stuff to savor. The feeling at my office was celebratory. Everywhere I went there was a big smile on my face. Every car I saw with a 2012 bumper received a ‘4 finger salute’ (4morefor44) and responded in kind with big smiles on their faces. ’twas all good.

The CNN screen grab is ubber kewl. There’s one for the history books. Kudos to the fast thinking soul who used the iconic Truman pic in his ‘1 picture is worth a thousand words’ interpretation of the ruling. Loved that. When will the rethugs learn: They don’t speak for ‘the American people’ at least not the majority of us.

I haven’t been listening to the news and not clicking on any links to RW talking points leading up to this decision and don’t plan to start now. Really want to bask in the goodness of all the wonderful things this month has brought.

Mike Michaud is my senator who sold his soul in the Issa debacle. He will be getting an earful from me and I will be sure to tell everyone I know to contact him and tell their friends and family to contact him also. Too. Urrr those wimpy dems sure make me wanna puke!

What a month it’s been. Robme’s bus tour was a wash, PBO had some great rallies and got excellent coverage in all local news outlets, AZ’s Papers Please law got struck down, ObamaCare is the undisputed law of the land. I’d say, all in all, it was a very good month for John McCain.

And so the old Indian curse holds true, we are living in interesting times. Off to see how much I can catch up on before I fall asleep.

Will definitely be contributing to fundraising efforts tomorrow. Will try to spread it around to as many of you as possible. So expect lots of small donations.

((((TODers))))

• 264 LunarSea
      June 28, 2012 at 11:52 pm

jeeze I forgot to add the new policy of not deporting undocumented people etc etc.

And of course there was Los Cabos and the russian supply ship heading for Syria that was turned back because of lack of insurance. And Putin getting to look into the eyes of PBO and know this was NOT GWB (that handshake will forever be etched in my memory “who’s your daddy now?’)

And…

and… I just know I’m missing more

Yes it’s been quite a month for this country and this admin. The bloviating talking heads can spew all they want but in the end this month reminds me of the lame duck session between the 111th and 112th congress.

The media was spewing all sorts of negatives of what he cannot do and yet for all the anxiety and hand wringing so much was accomplished. This month was like that. Everyone in the media was spelling doom for PBO and lack of enthusiasm for dems…. and yet….

58. 265 Tally
    June 28, 2012 at 10:29 pm

• 266 Betsy
      June 28, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Are people watching Lawrence O’Donnell tonight? Why is he so hot under the collar about the medicaid? Won’t the insurance companies put pressure on the states to expand medicaid so they can get more people?

June 28, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Because now it’s optional whether the states participate….I hear them now…but what they aren’t talking about is the fact that if the “red” states DON’T take this…and someone that lives in a red state, find out that their family member in a “blue” state gets something that they don’t have….oh, the shit will start hitting the fan. I know that people don’t what to entertain the idea that someone is getting something that THEY AREN’T.

• 268 Betsy
          June 28, 2012 at 10:53 pm

I agree with you. I wonder how long the people in Texas are going to put up with all the shit they have to go through thanks to Rick Perry’s antics. I have hopes it may go blue, wouldn’t it be great?

June 28, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Yes, it would…you pray for TX and I’ll pray for AZ…well, I pray for AZ everyday, because..seriously…these people are nuts. Common sense has left the building.

• 270 Eveingeorgia
        June 28, 2012 at 10:58 pm

I stopped watching after the second segment. Lawrence has been on this Medicaid thing all day. He seems to feel he has discovered some great secret, as if the Obama Administration has missed something.

Good reporting or not, this is not the day to rain on our parade, especially since I am sure it has not escaped the notice of the administration.

June 28, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Ok, it’s that time to post and duck.

A man left work one Friday afternoon. Being payday, instead of going home, he stayed out the entire weekend hunting with the boys and spent his entire paycheck. When he finally appeared at home, Sunday night, he was confronted by a very angry wife and was barraged for nearly two hours with a tirade befitting his actions.

Finally, his wife stopped the nagging and simply said to him, “How would you like it if you didn’t see me for two or three days?”

To which he replied, “That would be fine with me.”

Monday went by and he didn’t see his wife. Tuesday and Wednesday came and went with the same results.

Thursday, the swelling went down just enough where he could see her a little out of the corner of his left eye.

/wimmin…

60. June 28, 2012 at 10:37 pm

First lady Michelle Obama gives the keynote address to the African Methodist Episcopal Church general conference Thursday in Nashville. / AP
    Written by
    Bob Smietana
    The Tennessean

FILED UNDER
    News
    NASHVILLE — The shouts of “Praise the Lord” and “Hallelujah” started just after Michelle Obama finished her speech to the general conference of the African Methodist Episcopal Church in Nashville.

Right after the first lady left the ballroom at the Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center, Bishop T. Larry Kirkland announced to more than 10,000 church members that the U.S. Supreme Court had upheld President Barack Obama’s health-care reform law.

That led to a standing ovation and a spontaneous rendition of the gospel hymn Victory Shall Be Mine.

“If I hold my peace, let the Lord fight my battles, I know the victory shall be mine,” church members sang.

“Amen and amen,” Kirkland said.

June 29, 2012 at 2:47 am

I don’t know why their seem to be no vdeo of FLOTUS speech yesterday in Nashville, but I did get the chance to hear a few minutes of her and she was great as usual.

61. 278 Geeja
    June 28, 2012 at 10:52 pm

I am still grinning. Today was a good day. I am sure the GOP will regret the Atty Holder decision. Here is a little something for you cat lovers.
    http://affordablecarecat.com Sooo cute. Good night. My day starts at 3AM.

62. June 28, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Check your email! Conference call with Jim Messina tomorrow.

63. 280 Walking_on_ Sunshine
    June 28, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Yes! What a day! I’m kind of stunned. Knew it SHOULD be upheld. Didn’t know if it WOULD be upheld. I’m all verklempt. Been sitting here donating, celebrating, reading all your comments. Can’t for the life of me find the right words to express how GREAT this is. It’s a big relief! I find myself wanting to hug and kiss Nancy Pelosi and of course President Obama….that goes without saying. I’m even feeling a bit like hugging Roberts. Maybe just this once.
    How clever of the President to get those rebate checks lined up in 2012. Love that guy! He’s such a hunk of excellence!

And here’s to Chips for going over 11 million hits!

Raising my glass of Sangria! Cheers!!

June 28, 2012 at 11:09 pm

First, loved your recap! I’m also lookin’ at Roberts a little differently, but other than a “Bravo” to him on Twitter, indirectly, I’ve calmed myself down, since he could blow it with the next decision!

Yes, agree, every piece of ACA that the President had designed – timewise – was clever and brilliant and excellent!

Chips surpassed 11M hits? Wow – congrats, Chips!

• 282 Walking_on_ Sunshine
        June 28, 2012 at 11:20 pm

I’m going to try to stop fretting and just trust him. He really does “Got This!”
        My heart is so full of gratitude. :)

June 28, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Mine, too. And he had a gleam in his happy eyes today, while presenting his remarks, that made me feel so joyous for him and all of us!

• 284 susanne
            June 29, 2012 at 12:14 am

wasn’t that beautiful? he doesn’t need to ‘spike the ball’–his joy is there in his eyes.

June 29, 2012 at 1:02 am

It was beautiful. I’m thinkin’ he’s very, very comfortable with himself, because he never seems to have his “own” agenda – it always seems to be that he works for others, not just himself. He doesn’t compete with anyone, other than improving upon his own personal best. I’m grateful to his mother and grandparents for that, and the love of a good woman, our dear FLOTUS!

64. June 28, 2012 at 11:10 pm

OMG! I’m so glad to have stumbled across your blog! This is awesome. Keep up the great work. I’ll be stopping by often.

June 28, 2012 at 11:10 pm

66. 288 Pamela
    June 28, 2012 at 11:11 pm

To describe Chips’ ticker today: “The hits just keep on comin’!”

67. 289 a4alice
    June 28, 2012 at 11:13 pm

thanks again to all the people who so generously donated to my fundraising page. I sent you thank you emails but just wanted to say thanks again. we are all in this together. I was at a house party tonight getting a new Neighborhood Team Leader started – she spun off of my team to form her own. It’s humming along folks, little by little we are all moving along toward November and victory. If we are painstaking in our efforts and steadfast in our cause we WILL be watching President Obama once again give his inauguration address next Jan 20th. Never doubt for a moment.

Congrats Chips!!!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

June 28, 2012 at 11:18 pm

I’m sure you all know, but I love it that Jim Messina sent an e-mail with the subject, “Let’s win the damn election”! I know some tweets that went out from the campaign bothered a few folks, but they mean business and it’s getting toward the end of the month fundraising figures, so – what the heck – let’s win the damn election! I’m IN!

• 291 Walking_on_ Sunshine
      June 28, 2012 at 11:32 pm

You are right. The other side have mega bucks and now it’s time to get serious. They are NOT going to take this away from us now. I have a monthly amount set up and I also like to give on days when I’m either extremely pleased like today, or extremely ticked off. But I will check out how much more is needed before I max out.
      You know. If you look at this from a purely practical point of view, getting health care reform is a really great return on your investment.

June 28, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Yes!!!! Thank you on behalf of the guy we’re all supporting who just happens to have an office that’s oval!

And another thank you goes to President Obama today, for gettin’ the job done on health care reform!

• 293 taiping1
        June 29, 2012 at 12:05 am

You can also give to the Obama Victory Fund if over $5K. I can’t donate to the indivual fundraisers but the other emails take me directly to the victory fund. It’s so easy to give now! If every one of FB followers and tweeps who are eligible donated $1/day that would be about 2 billion!

69. 294 isonprize
    June 28, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Just listened to George Miller (California, US Rep -D) on Ed Schultz with some details of the ACA.

PBO and the folks that crafted the ACA are GENIUS!!!

Republican governors most likely will NOT refuse %100 reimbursement of Medicaid expenses for their state budgets. They may grumble, they may fuss, but they will be pure idiots to refuse %100 reimbursed expenses for the next 3 years. (Yes, I know that there are more than a few of them that ARE pure idiots. But still.. %100 reim is hard to turn down…)

BRILLIANT!!!! ABSOfuckin’ LUTELY BRILLIANT!!!!

• June 28, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Every step of the way, the roll out of each of these provisions, the staging of the benefits over time in this particular way, is brilliant. Nancy Smash, Senator Reid, POTUS, Nancy deParle and Kathleen Sebelius and their respective teams deserve HUGE kudos.

70. June 28, 2012 at 11:32 pm

71. 300 sabreen60
    June 28, 2012 at 11:36 pm

I know I’m late, but……..

Congratulations Ms. Chips on 11 million. I, along with so many others love you for all that you do and love the TOD family.

72. June 28, 2012 at 11:41 pm

A great freaking day for humankind! :)

73. 304 lisalovesobama
    June 28, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Poor Stephen has taken to the drink in the wake of “JRob’s” defection. He’s also ripped Roberts’ photo off his locker door and replaced it with a photo of a muscle bound Scalia. Poor dear. :(

74. 306 Walking_on_ Sunshine
    June 28, 2012 at 11:56 pm

My Republican Congressman just sent me this: (I’m on his mailing list)

Dear Friends,

As most of you know, the Supreme Court issued its ruling today upholding the President’s 2010 health care law. If Washington can penalize private citizens for failing to buy government-approved health insurance, then there is no reasonable limit on federal power.

The majority of Minnesotans I talk to tell me the 2010 health care law continues to destroy jobs, raise health care costs, and weaken our economy. As I listen to families and small businesses in Minnesota and across the country, rising costs continues to be their top health care concern.

You can read my official statement here, but I would like to hear your thoughts about the Supreme Court’s decision. Please tell me what you think in the brief survey below.
    Do you have health care coverage? Yes/no

Do you agree with the Supreme Court’s decision to uphold the individual mandate in the 2010 health care law? Yes/no/unsure

Do you agree with the Supreme Court’s decision that the individual mandate is a “tax”? Yes/no/unsure

Do you agree with the Supreme Court’s decision to uphold the other major provisions of the health care law? Yes/no/unsure

What would you like to see Congress do regarding health care in response to the Court’s decision?

1.Repeal the law and replace it with step-by-step, patient-centered reforms/ 2. leave the law alone/ 3. unsure

Please share with me any other thoughts you may have on the Supreme Court’s ruling and the state of health care in the U.S.
    ————————————————————————————————————————————————————

This is my Response:
    I am extremely pleased that the Supreme Court made the decent and civilized decision to uphold the Affordable Care Act. It will make a huge positive difference in the lives of millions of Americans and was originally a Republican idea. Fighting this would be shameful.
    ————————————————————————————————————————————————————
    I would welcome any input.

June 29, 2012 at 12:00 am

You were so nice…I’m usually more “pointed” when I write to my rep….Baby Ben Quayle.

• 308 Walking_on_ Sunshine
        June 29, 2012 at 12:09 am

I’m trying to give the impression that I’m a supporter ;) His seat is so safe there’s no hope of replacing him so I wonder if subterfuge is the best ploy for those of us in red districts. That way we can at least get our opinions heard.
        He’s a real taking point critter isn’t he? Not an original thought in his head. I do give him hell on twitter sometimes! I could go get “pointed” on twitter right now…:)

June 29, 2012 at 12:17 am

You could:) I think I’ll check and see if Ben has any info (RW talking points) up on his website…..I never get his mail..it enrages me. I just follow his votes and call/email him when he manages to get me crazy mad…which is often.

• 310 Bill R.
      June 29, 2012 at 12:07 am

Well, spoken.

• 311 Lovepolitics2008
      June 29, 2012 at 8:03 am

Since I don’t believe in the seriousness of the GOP to come up with an alternative to the ACA, what I would dare them to do is write a bill of their own that 1) expands coverage 2) stops the abuse of the insurance companies 3) lowers costs 4) gets the praise of health care experts and gets a good score by CBO. And THEN, just THEN, they could repeal the ACA.

They want to repeal the law and then will propose almost nothing in return. Let’s call them on their bluff.

75. June 28, 2012 at 11:59 pm

76. 317 Bill R.
    June 29, 2012 at 12:10 am

GOP “patient centered ” reforms means “Let them die!”

• 318 Walking_on_ Sunshine
      June 29, 2012 at 12:16 am

I’ll tweet that to my rep. “GOP “Patient Centered reforms” are republican DEATH PANELS.”
      Thanks Bill!

77. June 29, 2012 at 12:14 am

LOD has a problem with Heaktcare, me thinks he is jealous.
    He tried to pass it Himself in 93 as a Senate Aide, and Failed… Me thinks, he has a lot of anger about it, something he saw that really hurt Him.- Displacement -!
    It’s like a Veteran with PTSD.
    I see it very, very clearly in LOD!

That is all!

• 320 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      June 29, 2012 at 1:09 am

An empathetic missive …

Hope he reads it, as such.

#Tweeps4OBAMA
      Yes We Can

June 29, 2012 at 12:16 am

New Priorities USA ad on mittbot’s bain drowning companies in debts and profiting on an avergae 92mil each compnay in that process.

79. June 29, 2012 at 12:19 am

• 323 susanne
      June 29, 2012 at 1:44 am

poor robme–now ofa can easily make an ad where they put this ‘it’s not a tax’ video next to his new, ‘it’s a tax’ video. he just keeps shooting himself in the foot, till he really can’t run or stand. that’s the problem when you have no integrity–contradicting yourself among people who remember what you said!

June 29, 2012 at 12:24 am

June 29, 2012 at 12:27 am

June 29, 2012 at 12:32 am

83. 328 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    June 29, 2012 at 12:37 am

For some reason ….

A great day for the 99%, for sure … thank you President Obama

#Tweeps4OBAMA
    Yes We Can

June 29, 2012 at 12:44 am

85. 331 ourmanflint
    June 29, 2012 at 1:05 am

Hi Everyone. Travelling out of country not much easy access to TOD. Great day for all. Miss you all

86. 332 proudmemberofglobalzero
    June 29, 2012 at 1:12 am

First i want to say Thank you to everyone that donated to my fundraiser. I was locked out of OFA and cannot log in to send you each an email. So, this is my huge thank you.

Second, I got home from work and after listening to all my voice mails the one called I am upset I really missed was from…drum roll….Quinnipiac!

Been voting in every election since 1976 and I miss the one time I get polled. They said they will call back so….here is hoping

June 29, 2012 at 1:47 am

June 29, 2012 at 1:48 am

89. 336 Tally
    June 29, 2012 at 1:57 am

90. 338 0388jojothecat
    June 29, 2012 at 2:29 am

Just saw Don Grady of My Three Sons passed away. My Three Sons was one of the late 50’s/60’s sitcoms of my generation that was on television that was “good” teevee. RIP Don Grady, condolences and prayers to your family.

91. 342 Dudette
    June 29, 2012 at 2:50 am

Way way way off-topic, but cool as a mofo!

———————————-
    This dude recreated Vincent van Gogh’s “Starry Night” from just over 7,000 dominos. The second attempt took about 11 hours total to build.

92. 343 Michele
    June 29, 2012 at 6:19 am

Chips, please keep the trolls out until after the election…. This group should be focused on the re-election campaign and not being distracted by people who want to claim loyalty, but…..

93. June 29, 2012 at 7:00 am

Axelrod will be on Morming Caustic in a few.
    But first, we all get to listen to David Gregory memorize His Blackberry, as Morning Caustic asks Him a question.!

94. June 29, 2012 at 7:06 am

DOUBLE WHITE HOUSE WIN – Earlier this week, we noted the possibility of a truly dismal week for the administration in which health care went down and Europe failed (again) to make any discernible progress on its debt crisis in the face of stolid German opposition. Well, health care survived largely intact (despite initial reports) and …

BREAKING OVERNIGHT: EUROPE MAKES REAL PROGRESS – Reuters/Brussels: “European leaders agreed on Friday to create a single supervisory body for euro zone banks and to allow them to be recapitalized directly by the currency area’s rescue fund without adding to government debt. European Council chairman Herman Van Rompuy said the aim was to create a supervisory mechanism involving the [ECB] by the end of this year, and to break the ‘vicious circle between banks and sovereign governments.’

RESCUE AID AVAILABLE – “He also said countries that were complying with European Union budget policies would be able to access the bloc’s temporary EFSF and permanent ESM rescue funds … Spain and Italy had withheld their agreement to a growth package at a [EU] summit to demand emergency action to bring down their spiraling borrowing costs … The euro surged on that news and was last up 1.1 percent on the day at $1.2581″

SHOCK: GERMANY LOOSENS GRIP – WSJ/Brussels on pg. A1: “Germany’s finance minister signaled new flexibility on confronting Europe’s financial problems, saying Berlin may be willing to move sooner than expected to accept shared liability for euro-zone debt. Finance Minister Wolfgang Schäuble also said in an interview with [the WSJ] that Germany would support short-term measures to deal with the acute financing problems facing some of the region’s governments. …”

This is huge! Please let it happen! Dow futures way up!

95. June 29, 2012 at 7:14 am

• 348 LOL
      June 29, 2012 at 7:16 am

If this is the President’s worst month ever….I wouldn’t mind having a couple of em myself :)

• June 29, 2012 at 7:32 am

Joe says Now Robney has a clear message of repeal to energize His Republican base.
        I was unaware they needed riling up?

• 350 LOL
          June 29, 2012 at 7:47 am

Trying to save face is what I call it. Puhlease..they were already energized about getting PBO out of office…but wait a minute. I thought the HHS ruling was going to energize the tea party, I thought the gays getting married was going to energize the base….if Romney is still trying to get the base energized in freaking July, he has a bigger problem on his hands. Between the health care ruling, the immigration ruling, and endorsement of gay marriage…whose base is going to be more riled up?

But I’m not suprised Mark Halperin already said whatever the news is…it would be bad for Obama. Oh not sure if you heard but the Republican gov of New Mexico said there were good parts of the ACA.

And pray tell, who will they replace PBO with? The guy who first authored ACA?

• 353 57andfemale
          June 29, 2012 at 8:23 am

That’s the CW today from all the know-nothing pundits. This will be the rallying cry for all those recalcitrant Republicans who would stand on ‘principle’, don’t hate PBO enough, and stay home from the polls in order to send a ‘message’. Oh, wait……..

Every time Mittens brings this up, it’s an opportunity to sell ACA to the American people yet again.

Now, the “BIGGEST TAX INCREASE IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND” is going to play out. For once, please, Dem’s have to rally behind ACA as the achievement that it is and explain to Americans what is coming in the law that will significantly secure their lives and their future.

June 29, 2012 at 9:12 am

Guess what Morning Joke, we are already energize, because we want to keep our President.

96. 355 Mae who love our CIC
    June 29, 2012 at 7:34 am

Good Morning and thanks to our TOD family for the many donations to our fundraising pages, especially the funds to Mae who love our CIC.
    I really enjoyed catching up on the news and for all of the belly laughs. You guys are great comedians.

97. June 29, 2012 at 7:37 am

It’s a tax, blah blah, boo, blah blah blah, Obama is Satan blah blah blah, boo, blah blah, repeal and replace blah blah blah, boo, blah.
    Ooooo, I am scared.
    These GOP lunatics, think they are Freddy Kruger, everything is demagogues and playing with ones psyche…

June 29, 2012 at 7:39 am

Happy Friday Morning, Chips & TODville! You guys trying to extend the wonders of yesterday into 48 hours?

99. 360 Bill
    June 29, 2012 at 7:40 am

Cantor says the Republicans have an alternative to ACA by giving consumers their choice. No one is pushing him for details. This along with the mandate being a tax is all we are going to hear from the Republicans and the MSM will let them get by with it.

• June 29, 2012 at 7:55 am

It’s the new death panels and the only Democrat on tv pushing back was Eugene Robinson.
      Republicans on tv pushing their message, democrats slow to get on tv. Me thinks,
      Democrats are afraid of the Camera.
      That is why the messaging is garbage? Because, Congressional Democrats run for the Hills. They literally are Wimps!
      Anyways…
      Axelrod coming on in minutes…

• June 29, 2012 at 7:58 am

Zeke is on! Still No House Democrats.
        Maybe we will see Clyburn or Van Hollen, other than that, crickets…

• 363 Bill
        June 29, 2012 at 8:04 am

Is DWS in a witness protection program?

• June 29, 2012 at 8:26 am

She may be busy behind the scenes, but it is certainly not apparent what she is doing, if anything. Once in a while I see some nebulous tweet from her, but I would think she needs to be more aggressive. All hands are needed on deck to go on the offensive on this health care decision so the Repubs are not successful in turning a win into a loss for President Obama. They have all their contingents working 24/7 toward that goal. I am always asking “Where are the Democrats?” Again, where are they? We need some smart advocates front and center, not Eugene—um, ah, um, maybe, um—Robinson. Axelrod needs some help.

• June 29, 2012 at 8:27 am

Speculating, the only thing that could keep her out of the game, is health reasons.
          I hope she is ok!

• 366 57andfemale
          June 29, 2012 at 8:29 am

Been wondering about this myself. She needs to whip her party into shape. I had great hopes for her in the beginning but it’s the same Democratic b.s. it’s always been.

• 367 57andfemale
        June 29, 2012 at 8:28 am

Thank you.

100. June 29, 2012 at 7:50 am

101. 370 Dudette
    June 29, 2012 at 7:50 am

Memo to Rich Conservatives — Bruce Springsteen Doesn’t Love You Back
    In contrast to an overpaid, clueless pundit or a blustering New Jersey governor, Bruce is the ultimate populist artist.

102. 371 Dudette
    June 29, 2012 at 8:09 am

How black and shriveled up does your heart have be to get to the point where you squeal with rapturous delight at the prospect of millions of people losing their healthcare? I hope the national media and the local media in this woman’s district rolls this video on constant repeat from now until she’s thrown out of office.

————————–
    Republican Lawmaker Screams With Joy At False News Of Mandate Being Overturned | With some news networks erroneously reporting that the Supreme Court struck down the Affordable Care Act’s individual health care mandate just moments after the justices released their opinion, President Obama wasn’t the only prominent politician who initially thought the provision had fallen. MSNBC posts this video of Rep. Jean Schmidt (R-OH) — an opponent of the measure — screaming with joy at the false news that the Court invalidated the requirement. Watch it (video in the article)

• 372 Dudette
      June 29, 2012 at 8:17 am

Turns out the people of her district are already done with her — she lost her primary in March.

103. 373 Bill
    June 29, 2012 at 8:16 am

Morning Joe, ChuckTodd, Jon Meacham,and Tom Brokaw are hammering David Aexlrod about every detail of ACA. Mika says nothing. This is after giving Cantor a free pass. This is dsigusting.

104. 374 57andfemale
    June 29, 2012 at 8:18 am

Jill’s latest excellent piece is only at dKos and not at Winning Words Project in its entirety. It’s worth the link:

105. 375 cluny
    June 29, 2012 at 8:20 am

GM all – something to make you all laugh and cry – my all time favourite TOD video.

106. June 29, 2012 at 8:24 am

Axelrod did great!

• 377 cluny
      June 29, 2012 at 8:26 am

Jovie, what happened?

• 378 Bill
      June 29, 2012 at 8:29 am

He always does. All the questions were trying to find fault with the ACA. Chuck Todd even asked if ACA would prevent Comcast from changing his corporate insurance plan,because it was promised everyone could keep what they had.

• 379 57andfemale
        June 29, 2012 at 8:33 am

That is phenomenally stupid, even for stupid Chuck Todd.

• June 29, 2012 at 8:36 am

Stupidest question ever! Ax said the law does not force you to lose the comcast insurance.
        What a dumbass!

• 381 Lovepolitics2008
        June 29, 2012 at 8:56 am

I saw that. Chuck Todd was very candid and while I can fault him for simplistic thinking, lack of knowledge, etc., at least he was honest and may represent what the low-info voter is afraid of.

Which brings me to a concern of mine: I think it’s inevitable that either insurance companies or employers with bad faith are going to falsely blame the ACA for everything “bad” that happens. Employers who want to stop providing healthcare because they want to increase their profit margin will simply have to say it’s because the ACA is too complicated, too much paperwork, etc…
        The good news is that at the same time, many people, families, will experience the positive changes ACA brings, and in balance, I’m confident people will get the real picture, and more and more won’t fall for the lies and distortions.

• 382 Chi
          July 1, 2012 at 1:35 am

Seriously, this is your assessment…

Chuck Todd ‘candid’ and ‘honest’…

Chuck Todd, Chief White House correspondent…

That Chuck Todd, ‘candid’ and ‘honest’…

Alrighty then…

• June 29, 2012 at 11:03 am

I agree, I saw it also, David handled all of them masterfully. He looks pleased at the end also.

107. 384 Obaman
    July 2, 2012 at 4:39 am

Greetings to all TOD members. :) When the court ruling came and I saw Justice Roberts being the one who voted in favor of the law to uphold it, I thought to myself – well, this is a way for him to pay back his debt to the president for making the oath mistake, when he was sworn in! – Anyways, what a day for the president and for millions out there! Now, like Jim Messina said, lets go win the damn election!