Jul

A Word from VC

by vcprezofan

Dear TOD supporters (= President Obama supporters = supporters of America, really):

I have this dream that we at TODville can actually impact the November election by sharing to a larger audience, one piece at a time, some of the information we have been exposed to here these past couple of years. I’m thinking ‘impact’ in the sense of each of us reaching at least one voter out there.

I have an idea for a meme, and I really cannot spread it well without your help. We won’t need to swarm anyone and we won’t need to ‘attack’ our opponents. What I do dream of, is to get relevant, positive information out THERE in bite size pieces, since that will be easier for some to chew on, absorb, share, etc. etc. Reaching out to those who don’t care to, or cannot, spend a lot of time watching or reading, I’m leaning towards info that’s brief, yet accurate and factual.

We all know that the country really needs a leader who will SERVE and REPRESENT the American people. As TODobots we are also convinced that President Obama, community organizer, is the ONLY PUBLIC SERVANT at the top of the ticket IN THIS RACE. IN HIS ENTIRE LIFE Romney has never SERVED anyone but himself, his family and his friends! My dream is to get that information out there in manageable bits between now and November.

I’m suggesting a Twitter meme that feeds only PBO’s, and his administration’s, accomplishments, video clips, pieces of laws passed, pictures from trips abroad, ANYTHING THAT SHOWS WHAT THIS PRESIDENT HAS DONE and IS DOING! I know the Obama team has the truth team etc. but that’s ‘official’. This would be ‘grass roots’ advertising – a kind of ‘each one teach/reach one’.  Linda @ What-is-Working started preparing for this kind of thing long ago and her site has quite a few short video clips. Also, from my experience in TODville, I know many of you have the means and expertise to roam all over the WEB and tap effortlessly into pertinent information on this administration.

I don’t intend for us to belittle Romney or anyone on his side (at least, not deliberately). My feeling is that the available information shows that Romney does that job all by himself. I have yet to encounter any incident of Mitt Romney helping anyone where he or his kind didn’t benefit big time! All we will be doing, as per my dream, is shedding light on a man who should not be anywhere near the presidency by showing that the current President has been doing an excellent job, knows what he is doing, has a job plan, and should be returned (in a landslide) for 4 more years to continue executing that plan.

I’ve titled the meme:-

#CanMittMatchThis?

And even though I’m using Mitt’s name in the meme, the INFORMATION I’m dreaming of us sharing is ALL ABOUT PRESIDENT OBAMA and HIS GOVERNANCE. Now, I realize that once I throw it out there others might join in and they won’t know the intent is to have only positive content, but I’ll depend on the TOD participants to help keep the meme content ‘pure’ in their own contributions.

I really think the snark and ridicule etc. is thoroughly covered, and though it’s easy, and fun sometimes, to join in, IT’S TIME FOR US to start seeding the dialogue with upbeat content, particularly for those voters who are going to start tuning in more and more. Also, in truth, for those gentler spirits who have always been tuned in, but who don’t handle rancor, anger, profanity, or abrasive in-your-face approaches well, and therefore chose not to separate the information from the snark and pass it on.

Rambling aside, in short, I would love if the TOD ‘army’ would support a meme in which the only thing we share is positive information about the Obama/Biden administration. What do you say? Can we pull this off? Do we want to try #CanMittMatchThis?

322 Responses to “A Word from VC”

1. 1 Betsy
    July 6, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Am I first?

• 2 Betsy
      July 6, 2012 at 5:39 pm

A great word VC. Thanks so much. We sure can pull this off, for sure!

• July 6, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Yes! Hiya Betsy ;-)

• 4 Betsy
        July 6, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Love those two! Thanks for my picture Chips. How are you doing? It’s Friday, isn’t it?

July 6, 2012 at 6:04 pm

And there you have the two leading guys who play a big role in this #CanMittMatchThis? scenario. National and international expertise overseeing the vision of what the Democrats are offering the nation! GOP can’t top that this cycle.

• 6 Pamela
            July 6, 2012 at 6:32 pm

And there you have VC, who proves to us yet again that she is so much more than a pretty face and a grand sense of humor! :lol: {{{{VC}}}}

• 7 utaustinliberal
        July 6, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Yay! Our two have guys. :D

2. July 6, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Count me in to your idea. :)

July 6, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Appreciate it, Kari. :lol: When I read one of your comments last night about having facts at your fingertips I was hoping I could count you in. I have to hunt for my info and it often takes me a while, but I don’t mind the effort at all!

From a personal experience of a friend with two young children once telling me she didn’t have time to read all this stuff, I’ve long held to the view that I could help by breaking it up into more manageable bites. The thing was, she did try by listening to the news before going to bed, but we here all know what is being offered in that milieu.

3. 10 Linda
    July 6, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Rep. Thaddeus McCotter (R-Mich.) is resigning from his post in Congress.

The Michigan Republican addressed his decision to step down in a statement issued on Friday.

“Today I have resigned from the office of United States Representative for Michigan’s 11th Congressional District,” he said. “After nearly 26 years in elected office, this past nightmarish month and a half have, for the first time, severed the necessary harmony between the needs of my constituency and of my family. As this harmony is required to serve, its absence requires I leave.”

• 11 Tally
      July 6, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I wonder what that means?

• 12 Linda
        July 6, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Seems odd…since he screwed up the signature process and was not able to even be on the ballot in November……something must had happened in his family maybe….

• 13 cookemom
          July 6, 2012 at 5:55 pm

He’s saving face and tired of being ridiculed by his own party saying stuff like, ‘you idjit, after being here for so long, how could you mess up getting your name on the #*&% ballot. Now look at the fine mess you’ve gotten us into, you @$@#!’

• 14 Bill
        July 6, 2012 at 5:54 pm

The guy is close to being insane. He has played his guitar and sung for interviews. He ran for President and could not get into the debates. He screwed up the paper work to get on the ballot for his reelection bid.

July 6, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Tally let me tell you what he should have said. Because of the ugliness of my party, their refusing to work with this President for the good of this country is ashame. It is ashame what my party have become. This country has seen tough times before, were Republicans and Democrats didn’t agree on everything, but they work together on things they did agree for the good of the American people. Now things have gotten to ugly I feel the need to resign. Shame on my party.

• 17 Bill
        July 6, 2012 at 5:58 pm

He also said he sits in his garage and writes and smokes cigarettes. He had a movie script that was just turned down and he is upset about that.

• 18 debra13
        July 6, 2012 at 10:16 pm

McCotter dropped his bid for re-election last month after learning his staff hadn’t filed enough valid petition signatures to get him on the Aug. 7 primary ballot. Twice as many signatures as required were turned in, but 80 percent were found to be fake or duplicates.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/06/rep-mccotter-resigns-after-ballot-problems/#ixzz1zto42F69

• 20 susanne
      July 6, 2012 at 6:38 pm

hmmm
      when rethugs start talking about the needs of their ‘family’, i start thinking there’s a big ugly scandal about to break loose, and they need to hide.

4. 21 Tally
    July 6, 2012 at 5:42 pm
  5. 22 janicegwashington
    July 6, 2012 at 5:46 pm

#CanMittMatchThis? I just started using the meme and posting this diary on Twitter!

6. July 6, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Thanks a million for this VC ;-)

July 6, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I don’t tweet, but is their anything I can do?

July 6, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Yes, there is, Annieb! You can ask the question #CAnMittMatchThis? while sharing individual pieces of info with your own personal contacts, in the same way the tweeters will. If you are on Facebook, you could also do the same. Some of us will bring some of the more current/relevant tweets here (as is current practice) to help you with choices. This is really just a way to encourage a combined attempt to get this administration’s accomplishments into wider circulation.

[It's a presumptuous attempt on my part to copy the President's strategy of acknowledging that the MSM are not doing their jobs, but we can try to help by reaching out with 'word of mouth' advertising.]

• 27 Dudette
          July 6, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Excellent idea VC! I’m not on Twitter, but I can do just as you suggest and let the Twitter-Brigage take it from there.
          {{{bear hug for VC}}}

• 28 Pamela
      July 6, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Oh, I so wanted to be first on VC’s thread… But good on ya’, Betsy! Was still trying to make a name for myself on previous…. Hope I’m not becoming a miniMyth! Hee! :lol:

July 6, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Hi, Pamela! Glad to have you standing beside me, ready to prop me up when I start to faint from excessive blushing. :oops: :oops: ;)

• 30 Pamela
          July 6, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I have your back! (when I have those moments to peek in), and am with you every step, you can rest easy with that! Because there won’t be much rest of the other kind until November 7, 2012! Even then, PBO will probably show up for work, as there is much to be done!

7. 31 a4alice
    July 6, 2012 at 5:55 pm

OK I tried it with something small

• 32 GGail
      July 6, 2012 at 6:08 pm

a4alice, that was very creative and positive!

VC – your post has great possibilities! Thanks for sharing :-)

July 6, 2012 at 6:36 pm

GGail! Where have you been? I have missed those west coast good mornings in the middle of my day! :lol:

Thanks for the kind words. I really feel it’s something TOD could build upon over the months to November 6th. Linda has been faithfully compiling a host of positive info and this seems like the next step, at least in one direction. There is no reason why we need to continue repeating that Mitt is a professional liar – we don’t need any more convincing of that – when we could use that time/energy/space to tell about something the President has done for Americans that Mitt hasn’t even thought of doing. Something that, maybe, one of our contacts had missed or overlooked.

8. 34 Ladyhawke
    July 6, 2012 at 5:56 pm

ECONOMIC SABOTAGE EXPLAINED

By ThinkProgress War Room

——————————————————

Today’s monthly employment report brought the disappointing news that the economy created 84,000 private sector jobs in June, with the unemployment rate remaining at 8.2 percent. Let’s take a closer at how we got here and why we’re not moving forward more quickly.

1. Filibustering the American Jobs Act.

2. Stonewalling monetary stimulus.

3. Threatening a debt default.

4. Cutting discretionary spending in the debt ceiling deal.

5. Cutting discretionary spending in the budget deal.

And when it comes to Mitt Romney, economists agree that his plans will actually make things worse and could cause another recession.

——————————————————–

9. July 6, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Great idea, vc. Thank you for putting that bee in our bonnet. I’ll keep this in mind and use your hashtag as often as I can.

10. 45 cookemom
    July 6, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Yes, this is a great idea! I’m just getting the hang of that twitter machine, so when I post on it I should type #CanMittMatchThis in the body of the tweet? Does this count in my 140 character limit? Not that I’ve ever come close to that many words.

• July 6, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Yes, it counts in the 140 limit.

• 47 cookemom
        July 6, 2012 at 6:12 pm

thanks, can I reply to someone else’s tweet and put the hashtag on their tweet? Jarrett put out a tweet that would be perfect for this hash tag. How does that work? I dare not mess with Valerie’s tweet incorrectly.

• 48 a4alice
          July 6, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Yep. If you hit “reply” you can put that hashtag in the body of your reply :-)

• July 6, 2012 at 6:19 pm

If you’re going to add something to a tweet that significantly changes it, put an MT before the whole thing. That stands for “modified tweet” instead of a straight RT.

July 6, 2012 at 6:49 pm

This is so, so encouraging to see you all getting into the spirit of bringing my dream alive! /swallowing and blinking – much in the manner of the time Ison had stuff in her eyes/

• 51 cookemom
            July 6, 2012 at 6:50 pm

wow, rules and protocol, who’da thunk it? I’m glad you warned me.

• July 6, 2012 at 6:55 pm

I think these are just conventions that have evolved over time. Once you read your timeline for a while, you’ll get the hang of it and see how it all flows. It’s much, much easier to tweet now because they’ve made a lot of improvements over the last few months. You used to not be able to follow a conversation the way you can now. That was very weird because you had no idea who was being responded to or what they were talking about!

July 6, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Meta, I do believe you were providentially placed today to help explain the Twitter to our newer tweeters. ;) :lol: I remember when you had to walk me through, and I’m still not as savvy, or as prolific, as you. You do a very good job as Twitter mentor!

• July 6, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Ah, thanks, vc. I was not an early adopter and resisted for a long time because I really didn’t see the point of it. Now I do!! And I’m thrilled that fellow TODers can join together to harness the power of it together for the good of PBO/all of us.

July 6, 2012 at 6:02 pm

from cole @ BJ

For the first time in decades, the Advocate is endorsing someone for President:

Never has the substantial progress in equal rights and treatment of LGBT people been more at risk than in this presidential contest. This election presents a choice between starkly opposing futures.

Barack Obama is a leader of undeniable accomplishment, vision, and integrity on LGBT rights. His opponent Mitt Romney betrays equality on numerous issues and aligns himself with a faction of the Republican Party that does not include equality among its declared ideals.

The Advocate’s last endorsement was decades ago, but the president’s statement of May 9, unequivocally in favor of marriage equality, along with his record on LGBT rights, has distinguished him for the ages and has made it clear that he is a transformational leader and our best choice for president.

July 6, 2012 at 6:10 pm

:oops: :oops: Thanks, CC! I can’t rightly say I’m speechless seeing my name up there because I’m rarely ever speechless, so I’ll just say a blushing ‘thanks’. Here’s my first effort under this meme.

• 62 theo67
      July 6, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Well done, VC, for seeing your name in lights! I don’t believe for a minute that you’re speechless… :)

And I love the content of your post – spot on.

• 63 Pamela
        July 6, 2012 at 6:48 pm

She certainly is not, Theo67, perhaps gasping for air for a minute or two, then she’ll get a second wind and no one will be able to touch her! :lol:

• 64 Pamela
          July 6, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Oh, and VC? the offer still stands for a packet of Obama~Biden 2012 campaign gear/goodies as a gift from me to you! Just say the word, I’m on it! Handing out bunches of O~B 2012 stickers, almost out, need to place an order in the Store soon!

July 6, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I might just take you up on that offer one of these days, Pamela. Hold that thought. I’ll see what I can find during my visit to Waco, first. Not sure what the old man can/has purchase(d), if anything. He’s not known for his insight, but we’ll see.

July 6, 2012 at 7:06 pm

‘I don’t believe for a minute that you’re speechless’ ‘perhaps gasping for air for a minute’

You wound me! But then what are friends for? There’s no doubt a quotation somewhere that the wounds of a friend are more cleansing or some such rot. :lol:

• 67 Cha
      July 6, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I LOVE YOUR IDEA, VC! Very PRODUCTIVE!!

July 6, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Thanks Cha.

There is no sense in us sitting down on the amazing accumulation of knowledge that exists in this family when we know “in both policy and political circles, most commentators take the fact that Congress will do nothing as simply a pre-ordained constraint. That’s just not the right framing. In reality, it’s an enormous dereliction of duty”

Let’s try to alleviate some of the damage US MSM are inflicting on the nation at this crucial time, by doing what we can to share facts and content.

Copying PBO’s campaign: Are you in? :lol:

13. 69 TrumpDog
    July 6, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Reporting for duty.
    (saluting)
    @TrumpDog1

14. 70 Linda
    July 6, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Oregonians Will Not Support Radical Anti-Abortion Measure | In a victory for pro-choice advocates, a proposed ballot measure to block federal funding for abortion services in Oregon is not going to make it onto the state’s ballot this year.

According to an email from the measure’s sponsor, “With just two days left to deliver signed petitions to the Secretary of State, we’ve got only about 70,000 signatures in hand — less than half of our 150,000 signature goal.” Anti-choice groups have chosen not to focus their time or money on Oregon, and without outside funding the measure could not get off the ground.

This shows a growing trend of voters rejecting extreme anti-abortion laws — much like the rejection of so-called personhood initiatives across the country.

July 6, 2012 at 6:12 pm
    • 73 cookemom
      July 6, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I still think he was PBO’s biggest threat. It’s a good thing his own party dissed him. See, teabutts are good for something.

• 74 Bill
        July 6, 2012 at 6:27 pm

He has a good resume, is not crazy, but he is a terrible campaigner.

• 75 cookemom
          July 6, 2012 at 7:00 pm

yeah, he was bad, but that’s because he thought he was dealing with sane people.

July 6, 2012 at 7:26 pm

The content of his character may have been good (after all PBO saw something there), but his delivery left a lot to be desired. I wasn’t threatened by him because I really didn’t see him as being able to out-debate the Pres. Though he may have had the ‘right’ pigmentation to appease some, he came across as wishy-washy to my eyes.

• 77 nathkatun7
        July 6, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I am sorry, but Jon Huntsman, though he may be a sane Republican, also demonstrated that he is selfish, unethical and unreliable person. The President showed him respect and was thoughtful enough to make him a member of his administration, yet Huntsman could wait to stab him in the back. I doubt that he would ever have been a threat. The vast majority of right wingers despised him for joining the Obama administration, and loyal Obama supporters, like me, despised him for turning against the president for no reason at all except to advance his ambition to be President.

• 78 cookemom
          July 6, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Oh I completely agree. He used PBO as a stepping stone and took the only to build his resume. At least that guy Craig, who PBO wanted to appoint for the office over the census bureau declined the offer, rather than compromise his convictions. I say Huntsman was his biggest threat because the moderate pubs would have rallied around him if they weren’t so afraid of the baggers. The MSM would have loved him.

• 79 isonprize
        July 6, 2012 at 9:16 pm

PBO knew it too. Why do you think he brought him into his administration?? He was well qualified to be Ambassador to China. PBO also knew his crazy Re-thug party members would never let him live that down. PBO is the smartest man on the planet!!!

• 80 cookemom
          July 6, 2012 at 9:26 pm

yessiree you got to get up pretty early to out think him. Huntsman thought he’d make a move on PBO, but as Rev Al said, ‘hunting ain’t fun when the rabbit has the gun’

• 81 isonprize
            July 6, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Cookemom, you actually made me really laugh out loud.
            \
            hunting ain’t fun when the rabbit got the gun!

I hadn’t heard that one before Rev. Al told it. But it is TOO FUNNY!!! :lol: :lol:

• 82 cookemom
              July 6, 2012 at 9:34 pm

yeah, Huntsman thought he could slip in unnoticed, ‘cept he had blueberry pie all over his face.

• 83 Bill
      July 6, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Wonder if the half term governor will attend. I woud not think Willard would want her to speak which will cause her to have a fit.

• July 6, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Mitt Romney clone who had nothing else to lose.

16. 86 whatisworking
    July 6, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Hi VC

Count me in, I only tweet by clicking on the ReTweet button on the stories I post at my b log or by retweeting stuff posted here, but I am happy to help in any way I can.

I have several pages which may be useful

The page has several resources that might be useful

At the top are links to the ads for president Obama listed by category

Farther down are pages with links for information, articles, videos, and images for various topics.

Another aspect of the page is this area

That lists success stories by state, it might prove useful for the local slant. This is a good time to compliment Chips on her front pages of local papers where the President speaks. I just love those headlines.

To be honest I have not worked on these pages for a while because I have not really found an effective way to organize this wonderful yet diverse group (kinda like herding kittens).

VC if you and others can continue to send out notes that focus on positive messaging I am with you 100%.

Feel free to contact me directly if there is you need stuff from me or just want to toss around ideas. whatisorking@gmail.com

• 87 a4alice
      July 6, 2012 at 7:19 pm
      July 6, 2012 at 7:42 pm

This is great, Linda! As you probably saw above from my first tweet, I’ve been looking over the WiW site, but hadn’t yet checked each section. Your summary here will help. Once the idea came to mind, it certainly helped to know that for literally months you had been sorting and storing meaningful information in ‘gettable’ segments. In fact, I am hoping to make use of your willingness to segment videos so that we can isolate more immediately relevant information. This way we may be able to introduce into wider circulation info that make not be readily available on YouTube. I’m thinking off the top of my head here, but we’ll see, I guess. Thanks again for the offer to help. I really do appreciate this. VC

• 91 whatisworking
        July 6, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I am so excited to see the strong level of support for your hashtag idea, and the contributions of others who use Facebook, email, and ord of mouth. You are on a roll here.

July 6, 2012 at 9:34 pm

:lol: If there is rolling going on, WiW (I can’t see yet as I’m still wending my way, ever so slowly, through this thread :lol: ), WE at TODville are on a roll.

If you think about it, this is only the progression of something you started all those months ago. Remember when you, Desertflower and I, among others, started the states lists of TODobots, and discussed the idea of holding the media in our local areas accountable? I believe this is another step in that process – a kind of ‘if they won’t do it, we will’ – because we HAVE A VOICE and we HAVE OR CAN FIND the information they are refusing to spread. It’s also a way to showcase the culmination of knowledge Chips has helped us to accumulate by providing this comfortable, accepting learning environment. I suspect the time is just right for us to pick up this particular set of arms, is all, and to use it wisely, like a doctor would a scalpel.

17. 93 Betsy
    July 6, 2012 at 6:21 pm

This is just pure joy, nothing political. Courtesy of Smartypants:

• July 6, 2012 at 6:29 pm

YESSSSSSSSS….I LOVE THIS~

• 95 theo67
      July 6, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Brilliant – I love this stuff.

• 96 donna dem 4 obama
      July 6, 2012 at 6:48 pm

MAGNIFICENT – I am truly addicted to flash mobs!!!

• 97 cookemom
        July 6, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I participated in a flash dance mob last year. I didn’t get the memo and zigged when everyone else zagged, but it was fun. Right downtown on State and Lake street. I’ll try anything once.

• 98 donna dem 4 obama
          July 6, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Wow I knew you were are Rock Star now you just confirmed it :cool:

• 99 cookemom
            July 6, 2012 at 7:19 pm

The rock part? yeah, that’s what I looked like, a big ol’ rock, completely out of my element. The star part…not so much.

• July 6, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Love this—pure joy is right. Love the humanity on display.

• 101 Dudette
      July 6, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Pure joy indeed — that’s Ode to Joy (Beethoven’s 9th) to be exact! :-)

Simply sublime!

• 103 joanshaw
      July 6, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Such memories this brings to me. I’ve sung this with so many choirs and no matter how weak they have been, the could really belt this out, heart and soul!

• 104 a4alice
      July 6, 2012 at 7:42 pm

loved that!!!!

July 6, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Great stuff – I loved this! Did you all notice the reaction of the little ones? This is probably the only piece of music I can recognize and name from the early notes. It was the first piece my Offspring ever played (as part of a medley) before an audience, and everybody claimed to be really impressed. He was quite young at the time. Just what my soul needed, Betsy. I’m going to email this to Offspring right now as I know he would enjoy it.

• 106 Betsy
        July 6, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Thanks VC, but you really have to thank Smartypants. I found it there and it just made me cry with joy, real tears and it uplifted my soul as well.

• July 7, 2012 at 12:32 am

Sheer heaven. Loved the children directing the music. Very fun.

18. 108 Liberal Librarian
    July 6, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Afternoon all.

Taking a little politics break through the weekend. Not feeling “meh”, but definitely need to recharge batteries.

I just found out from one of my patrons that our Obama Venice+ group is in the hunt for real office space. I haven’t been to a phone bank in a couple of weeks, but apparently we are bursting at the seams with volunteers. Good news!

So, I’ll be laying low until Monday. Me and spousal unit are cutting the bank chain and signing up for a credit union tomorrow.

In the meantime, I leave you with this tweet (and count me in, VC):

• 109 cookemom
      July 6, 2012 at 7:14 pm

I joined a neighborhood credit union last year after leaving a major bank. I wonder what took me so long. They’re way more personable and offer many free services. They are community minded and just better imo. There hours aren’t as available as the bank, but I can still get there during their open hours when I have to.

July 6, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Good for you LL! You’ll never look back!

July 6, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Okay, counted. Is this ‘not “meh” feeling due to too much wine drinking or the anticipation of too much wine drinking? ;) Take care either way.

• 112 Liberal Librarian
        July 6, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Eh, I’m just a bit tired. I plan to have a martini while working on my new writing project tonight. And really looking forward to hitting the credit union tomorrow.

• July 6, 2012 at 9:18 pm

hahahahah@ wife unit…..tooo funny LL… :-D

• 114 isonprize
      July 6, 2012 at 9:31 pm

GO, LL GO. I love, love, LOVE my credit union. It was a few years back, but they actually CALLED ME when a check came in before a deposit so that it wouldn’t bounce!! LOVE THEM!!!!!

• 115 Tally
      July 6, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I’ve been threatening to join SAG/AFTRA CU for years. Just need to do it. :D

• 116 nathkatun7
      July 6, 2012 at 9:56 pm

LL, you will love Credit Unions. I love mine because of the personal attention and the very friendly staff. When I call about a problem it doesn’t take me forever to talk to a real person. There is no way I will ever go back to banking with the big banks.

19. 117 Betsy
    July 6, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Where is the best country for women?

• 118 theo67
      July 6, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Excellent.

July 6, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Does that mean you are coming over to Canada to enjoy its ‘best’ status? ;) ;) In his 2nd term Pres. Obama will undoubtedly fix things so that Am women can travel back & forth without passport to enjoy OUR best status – because he won’t be able to wipe out the GOP vagina bills all at once. That fix-it bill will be his first 2nd term law signed, to complement the Ledbetter law.

July 6, 2012 at 8:36 pm

So I’m in the right place at the right time (in history)? That’s new for me. :grin:

20. 121 whatisworking
    July 6, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Republicans Start to Panic as ObamaCare Reaches 50% Approval

21. July 6, 2012 at 6:59 pm

This is all absolutely unbelievably frightening on a massive global scale.

22. 129 donna dem 4 obama
    July 6, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Great idea VC

We can tag team this since some are here during the day and can tweet and retweet and then those of us that are here in the evenings can pick up the slack. A suggestion to keep this going is that when you sign in to twitter to go to VC’s meme using the hashtag #CanMittMatchThis? https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23CanMittMatchThis%3F and retweet all the positive tweets that have been posted during the day. There is a bunch out there already ;)

July 6, 2012 at 9:00 pm

We TODobots are already reaping the benefits of team work and seeing the potential power of ‘we the people’ joining together, just as our President said! I would not have known of this particular retweeting possibility DD4O, if you hadn’t shared, so thanks. We so can do this…together! I’m going to copy the formula to a ‘safe place’ so I can remember to try it. ;)

23. July 6, 2012 at 7:11 pm
  24. 137 ChristiMTL
    July 6, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Yeaa Vic, it is trending on twitter at the moment.

• 138 ChristiMTL
      July 6, 2012 at 7:17 pm

oops .I made a mistake….it’s not…….

July 6, 2012 at 9:07 pm

It’s early yet, Christi, and I’m in it for the long haul (until November)! ‘If you [TODobots] will work with me. If you will knock on some doors. If you will work as hard for me as you did in 2008, I promise you….’ we will continue the work we started to put this country back on track, or something similar. ;) ;) ;)

25. 140 Dudette
    July 6, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Catch up on Charlotte 2012 news here:

26. 141 Suzanne
    July 6, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Romney tweeted using the hashtag #CanMittMatchThis? There are some hilarious replies.

The same old ideas of the past that have failed. My plan calls for action & will create jobs. America can do better mi.tt/KYlXWi— Mitt Romney (@MittRomney) July 6, 2012

I couldn’t find a way to embed my reply, but this is what I said

ThisMagicalEarth
    ‏@MagicalEarth
    @MittRomney Unfortunately your plan from the past is the same one Herbert Hoover and George W. Bush used to crash our economy.

• 142 Suzanne
      July 6, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I don’t know what I did wrong. I went to details from Romney’s tweet and used the embed code, but it doesn’t look the same as the other ones you are posting.

My other question is, do I have to follow someone before they could see my tweet?

I’ll get the hang of this yet!!

• July 6, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Suzanne … you’re doing fine.

If you had wanted to embed his tweet you can right click, for instance, on the ‘July 6, 2012′ above and select ‘copy link’ then when you are composing your response you just paste the link. Add your text and address it to @MittRomney.

He doesn’t need to be following you to read your tweet. Even if he blocks you, others will see your tweet. Any one of whom can RT it and if they aren’t blocked it’ll land in his TL as well as be seen by whomever has selected you as a friend and the general Twitter audience.

I’ll RT your tweet because it’s a cool response!!

#PRESSON

• July 6, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Just ‘followed’ you and if you accept then I’ll be able to see your tweets and RT them. Cheers!

• 145 Suzanne
          July 6, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I accepted you and am following you, too. Thanks for the information. I know Twitter is amazingly simple — I will get this eventually!!

• July 6, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Thanks for the follow, Suzanne, and …

• July 6, 2012 at 8:46 pm

WAIT WAIT WAIT WWWAIT WAIT……vc’s hashtag got Romney’s team to respond????? HAHAHAAAAAA!!!! That’s both AWESOME and HILARIOUS!!!!

WOW, guys, this is really great!!!!

27. 151 Dudette
    July 6, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Something the pundits keep forgetting to mention:

Obamacare is a major tax CUTt for middle class families

28. 156 Ladyhawke
    July 6, 2012 at 7:23 pm

THE ROMNEY FOG MACHINE

Why Mitt Romney Won’t Take a Stand

By Joshua Green

——————————–

This has become a familiar pattern: a ringing affirmation of some major policy difference with President Obama, followed by a lot of vagueness about what precisely he would do instead.
    Taken together, I’ve come to think of these speeches, statements, and dodgy rebuttals as the Romney Fog Machine: a great outpouring of words intended to obscure, rather than clarify, whatever issue they’re ostensibly addressing.
    Romney has plainly calculated that he can win without explaining what he’ll do as president and instead seems intent on becoming the “generic Republican candidate” that pollsters include in surveys (and that often outperform real Republicans). He seems to be making two assumptions: that the country is in such dire shape that simply being against Obama is enough, and that his background at Bain Capital is a sufficient qualification to get him elected. His campaign is a sustained exercise in avoiding risk.

———————————

• 157 susanne
      July 6, 2012 at 7:35 pm

‘the romney fog machine’–love it!

• 158 Cha
        July 6, 2012 at 9:33 pm

It’s Totally what’s been happening and will continue..and now it has a name. I would add a couple of words to it.. The romney rat fucker’s fog machine. Okay one word.

• 159 amk for obama
      July 6, 2012 at 10:42 pm
    • 160 nathkatun7
      July 7, 2012 at 12:14 am

Does Willard “Mitt” Romney know what time it is? This time it’s no longer possible for politicians to fool people by speaking from both sides of their mouths. The technology is so advanced that whatever you said previously can be instantaneously retrieved. This makes it difficult for politicians, like Mitt Romney, who routinely lie and obfuscate, to get away with things. If it weren’t for the fact that the MSM favors Romney and hates President Obama, Mitt would be finished by now.

29. 161 Squarepeg
    July 6, 2012 at 7:28 pm

There’s a movie called starring Charles Dutton called “the Obama effect” coming to theaters July 13th. Here’s the trailer: http://youtu.be/SafcM1kD_Zo

July 6, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Nice:) http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/california-senate-approves-high-speed-rail-funds

And vc…..good job:) Fabulous thought. I don’t Tweet, but so many here, do. The great accomplishments of PBO and his admin. will be known!

July 6, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Hi former dancing partner! Not tweeting isn’t going to let you out of this outreach. ;)

You may not tweet, but we sure need your skills, Df. You are one of our ace information gatherers! Whenever you find any brief, meaningful info about what this admin’s doing you do what you’ve always done – bring it home. Someone will gladly wrap it into a tweet or facebook it so that it can be put in circulation. In addition, there are also going to be those in our contact groups who don’t do twitter or facebook and who need to hear the good word. Let’s not forget that whatever can be tweeted can also be emailed, or even snail-mailed. [Heck, putting a stamp on a flyer with 2 or three #CanMittMatchThis? items might even help the post office between now and the end of October.] :lol:

31. 169 joanshaw
    July 6, 2012 at 7:32 pm

VC count me in on this great idea, something I should have been doing all along. I don’t do Twitter (yet) but I have a garden blog. It doesn’t have a huge readership, but the readership spikes every time I put up a political post (I’ve done only a few) or a review of a political book. So I’ll start out small and work up.

July 6, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I am definitely counting on you, Joan! :lol: What an excellent idea to add the accomplishments to your garden blog. They could be just used as space fillers to start, a kind of ‘Did you know that……? Can Mitt match this?’ I used to prepare a Netball magazine aeons and aeons ago, and oftentimes had to create my own space fillers because teams wouldn’t always submit pictures/results/information by deadline. You could probably pick up (Desertf’s, or Annieb’s or Dudette’s or anyone else’s ) titbits from here. We literally have a wealth of resource people and ideas here on the blog, so I’m confident we can make this work if we work together.

32. 171 Dudette
    July 6, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Essence Magazine cover July 2012

Please try not to slobber all over your computer or phone screen.

• 172 cookemom
      July 6, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Get the drool cup, STAT!

July 6, 2012 at 7:45 pm

OBAMA! Exclamation point! Love this…one for the pack of saved magazines I keep

• 175 TrumpDog
      July 6, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll look for it in the store and buy it.

• 176 theo67
      July 6, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I have this one – I love that tie, too. Yum!

July 6, 2012 at 10:45 pm

What? Where did you get it from? I can’t usually find magazines with Obama pics in my neighbourhood, maybe because I don’t go to the magazine racks unless you guys mention something.

• 178 theo67
          July 6, 2012 at 10:46 pm

I seem to recall picking this one up at least a couple of weeks ago from somewhere – can’t even recall where. Probably my local drugstore.

July 6, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Thought it might have been in the last couple of days, in which case I would have had to go searching. ;)

• 180 Suzanne
      July 6, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Gorgeous cover photo of POTUS. I thought the titles for the other articles in the issue printed around his picture were very interesting.

“Take our challenge. Be fun, flirty and Fearless.”
      “How to find your Mr. Right”
      “100 Hot summer looks for you”

He is beautiful person inside and outside.

• 181 isonprize
      July 6, 2012 at 9:42 pm

5 ways to lower your stress??? ARE THEY KIDDING ME???

33. 182 cookemom
    July 6, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Now that I’m a tweetin twittering pro (thanks Meta), how do I post a copy of a twit here?

• July 6, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Look at your tweet. You’ll see the word, “Expand” in grey print in the lower left hand corner. Click on that –> the tweet will expand and in the lower right hand corner, you’ll see the word,”Details.” Click on that –> you’ll be on a new page. Copy that URL and paste it here. Hit return. VOILA.

• 184 cookemom
        July 6, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Well alrighty then, watch out, I could be dangerous with all of this new found knowledge. Twitterville may never be the same. thanks

• July 6, 2012 at 9:06 pm

If you want to copy a tweet with a photo attached, once you get to the new URL, click on the link in the tweet that has the twitterpic. That will take you to another new URL with a /photo1 at the end. Copy that and paste here and it should show both the tweet and the photo.

July 6, 2012 at 10:47 pm

You two make quite a team. :razz: :razz:

34. July 6, 2012 at 7:43 pm

This dude ain’t nothing but a freakn’ bully. There is just no way he’s gonna be number 2 on Romney’s ticket. Romney too “gentile” for the like of Christie’s brashness to have him as #2

Christie Gets Into Another Shouting Match

35. 191 Ladyhawke
    July 6, 2012 at 7:43 pm

ROMNEY PRETENDS HE NEVER HEARD OF THE AMERICAN JOBS ACT

The American Jobs Act Still Exists

By Jamelle Bouie, July 6, 2012

Remember that the next time someone says that Obama doesn’t have a plan for jobs.

————————————

The political world has all but forgotten the American Jobs Act, but it remains on the table as Obama’s plan for juicing the economy. If passed in full, the Jobs Act would cut payroll taxes for businesses, double the size of the payroll tax cut for individuals, give aid to states to prevent public sector layoffs, and increase infrastructure spending. All together, the Jobs Act would create 1.9 million jobs over the next year

The only jobs plan on the table right now is the one proposed by the Obama administration. Republicans should be pressured to pass it, and Romney should be challenged on his assertion that the White House has nothing to offer.

—————————————

• 192 Lovepolitics2008
      July 6, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Even if there is no way republicans in Congress will vote for AJA, I admit being surprised that President Obama doesn’t talk about this proposal more often. You just have to repeat over and over again that there IS a plan and that republicans are the ones blocking it in Congress.

• 193 nathkatun7
        July 7, 2012 at 12:32 am

I don’t know which speeches of the President you’ve been listening to. The President always asks us to tell Congress to pass the Jobs Act. Have you forgotten that Mitt Romney almost pulled his hair out because the President urged Congress to pass a bill to ensure that teachers, cops and firefighters are hired or do not loose their jobs? If you follow closely what is posted on this blog, you quickly realize how people who rely entirely on the so called mainstream media are short changed when it comes to President Obama. It’s as if the media are determined to block, filter or misconstrue, everything President Obama says or does.

• 194 amk for obama
      July 6, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Tweeted LH.

36. 195 TrumpDog
    July 6, 2012 at 7:45 pm

An idea: Maybe we can all focus and coalesce around one them per day. For example today we find positive stories to highlight transportation and jobs, research an area where President Obama did good and tweet about that w/ the #CanMittMatchThis hashtag. Then maybe tomorrow focus on education or him helping women, etc. If we all concentrated on ONE thing and repeated our own talking points (like Repubs do), perhaps our daily message will be strengthened by the numbers…???

July 6, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I thought of that too…more compact and purposeful.

July 6, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Good idea. Anyone want to volunteer to set the topic for research, maybe couple days before it’s to be highlighted? Or maybe provide the list for a week/month at a time? Or……? I’m not volunteering me because I’m not as ‘en pointe’ when it comes to knowing the various issues, plus I’m really slow at gathering data. I would only know the very obvious ones like those you’ve listed, or those Chips have brought to my attention in posts. I’d say continue how we’ve started for now, while we determine a more organized path forward.

• 198 nathkatun7
      July 7, 2012 at 12:41 am

Good Idea! This is exactly what UT did in all her tweets on the economy! She highlighted all the President’s economic accomplishments that the mainstream media, and especially the pundits, are not telling you about. Utaustinliberal, has already provided a model for tweeters. She deserves a great deal of gratitude.

• 200 Dudette
      July 6, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Looks like 182 tweets to me! Hop to it Family! :-)

• July 6, 2012 at 10:38 pm

And, there’s this: (It includes PCTC’s List, too.)

[President Barack H.] Obama’s Achievements Center… http://obamaachievements.org/ (It’s located on TOD’s sidebar—> ;) )

YES.WE.CAN….Do.(Much)More, Together – WE MUST!
      YES.WE.CAN, Again…Obama/Biden 2012!
      WE CAN’T WAIT/WE CAN’T GO BACK… So, LET’S STAY/REBUILD TOGETHER 2012 & Beyond!
      FIRED UP & READY2GO! ;)
      PRESS ON, FORWARD!

37. 202 purpleshoesla
    July 6, 2012 at 7:46 pm

What ho TOD peeps. VC, I like the idea but also wanted to throw an additional thought out for consumption. This idea doesn’t have to be limited to just the Social Media world. Ever since I stumbled across TOD last fall, on almost a daily basis, I have been, “old skool style”, emailing links to articles and pictures from this site to damn near every one in my contacts. It’s become an end of the day ritual for me for almost a year. And I couldn’t think of a better way to wind down my day then to sit with a glass of Pinot and email the info I get here and pass it along.

At a recent bbq I attended I learned that a friend (who in turn was forwarding my emails) and friends of friends were posting the links from my emails every day on their respective Facebook pages. I’ve basically become their PBO news pipeline (about 50 different Facebook pages) because they don’t have time or the inclination I guess to just come to TOD and get the links they’re damn self! :lol: Additionally, from links to articles here that I forwarded to my Mom she wrote a rebuttal to her local right leaning newspaper ( Northern San Diego- Issa territory) pushing back against an incredible ignorant and racist column published after the President’s announcement about exempting the “Dreamers” from deportation. Her rebuttal was published in the paper last week. I get the immediacy and impactfulness of Twitter being a newbie to it myself, but there are lots of people who don’t tweet or do Facebook (quite a few in my circle :lol: and still rely heavily on the TEE VEE for their “news” That’s a relationship that needs to be dissolved by any and all means possible. I guess the point I’m making for those here who may not tweet or facebook is to pick the “delivery system” that works best for you so you can get all the “good stuff” about PBO into their hands (and minds). Every bit makes a difference.

July 6, 2012 at 7:52 pm

This. Remember that WiW has a list of people from each state that will do pushback and get the positive news out. Maybe we can share this idea with our OFA friends and co volunteers…the more the merrier. Literally, that can turn into tens of thousands of people that can share the same info….passed around and shared. Whenever I send an email, I ask that they pass it along….same things happen for Tweets and FB posts. WE have to be the media that we want…we have to pass along the info that is important…and ask others to do the same.

• 204 jackiegrumbacher
      July 6, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Good way to build on VCs idea, purpleshoes. Every e-mail, every encounter, every FB entry, every tweet makes a difference.

July 6, 2012 at 11:18 pm

THIS! {{PurpleShoes}} If only a were a faster reader and a little less of a gabbermonger I would have saved myself a lot of time upthread by just referring to your beautiful ‘proof’ of what I had in mind. Ah vc! All that extra unnecessary talking! When I was younger my mother always said I talked too much. Okay, from here I’m just going to read without answering, at least until later. Really, really helps to have empirical evidence. Thanks for being way ahead of me! :grin:

• 208 Smoothscotch
      July 7, 2012 at 3:37 am

Hi, this is what I did. Emailed my college student cousin, in NY, with links you guys provided regarding WIW. Had to give her a lecture when she starting telling me she was disappointed in PBO, ok I ranted. I am still keeping her informed and had her ” like” TOD on her Facebook. Her parents assured me she’ll do the right thing, lol. I’ll keep on emailing who I know in US and ask them to pass on.

July 6, 2012 at 7:56 pm

PBO needs to go to TX….and talk about the benefits of the ACA:)

39. 218 donna dem 4 obama
    July 6, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Dudette, Thanks for the headsup on this magazine cover

40. 224 Dudette
    July 6, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Okay, so if this is how you judge presidential candidates… which one would you really rather have a beer with?

41. July 6, 2012 at 8:04 pm

After reading what purpleshoes has been doing, I realized I’ve been doing that but on a smaller scale. I don’t do it every day, but when I see something on FB that I know is a lie and know that I can find a factual link to share, I do that. I am careful to not be “in your face”. Depending on the person who shared the falsehood, I may send the link in a private message. I’ve also shared a few things with my daughter when she needs to “set someone straight.” As mentioned, whatever ‘delivery system’ works for each person, that’s what we need to do.

42. 226 susanne
    July 6, 2012 at 8:06 pm

from bloomberg:
    the congressional reps who most abuse the ‘franking’ (free mailing) privilege are the same ones who most vocally oppose supporting the us postal service. and guess what? they’re teathugs.

July 6, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I’m just going to wager that this is why McCotter resigned (quit). This, and the fact that he screwed up even getting on the ballot…and a failed run for President (can you even imagine?)

Seems he even had S.E. Cupp in his show….

A train wreck of a show

In “Bumper Sticker,” conservative commentator S.E. Cupp is cast as guest on the pilot. Cupp, a regular guest on cable political shows, also has appeared on “Red Eye” and co-hosts MSNBC’s “The Cycle.”

McCotter tries to ask serious questions of the columnist, while his sidekicks chime in by asking how she “keeps that great stripper bod?” and whether “D-Cupp” is dating anyone. In the script, Cupp is disgusted by the “train wreck” of the show.

It’s unclear whether Cupp knew of her role in the pilot. Reached by e-mail, she didn’t want to talk about McCotter.

I’m not fan of Ms. Cupp…but really? What a crude pig.

44. 234 Dudette
    July 6, 2012 at 8:14 pm

President Obama Signs Minnesota Disaster Declaration
    The President today declared a major disaster exists in the State of Minnesota and ordered Federal aid to supplement state and local recovery efforts in the area affected by severe storms and flooding during the period of June 14-21, 2012.

Federal funding is available to state and eligible local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations on a cost-sharing basis for emergency work and the repair or replacement of facilities damaged by the severe storms and flooding in the counties of Aitkin, Carlton, Cook, Crow Wing, Dakota, Goodhue, Kandiyohi, Lake, Meeker, Pine, Rice, Sibley, St. Louis, and the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa, Grand Portage Band of Lake Superior Chippewa, and the Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe.

Federal funding is also available on a cost-sharing basis for hazard mitigation measures for all counties and Indian Tribes within the State.

W. Craig Fugate, Administrator, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), Department of Homeland Security, named Mark A. Neveau as the Federal Coordinating Officer for federal recovery operations in the affected area.

FEMA said additional designations may be made at a later date if requested by the state and warranted by the results of further damage assessments.

45. 235 Dudette
    July 6, 2012 at 8:16 pm

From the White House Blog archives:

One year ago today, July 6, 2011, President Obama participated in the first-ever Twitter Town Hall held at the White House. The event, which was moderated by Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey, was an opportunity for people across the Twitterverse to send questions directly to the President on topics that were important to them — including health care, the economy, education, and even space exploration. [video included with blog entry]

The White House uses Twitter to share breaking news, provide updates and engage with Americans across the country. Join the 2.95 million @whitehouse followers, and be sure to check out all of our official accounts below:

•@blog44; The White House blog
    •@JoiningForces; Joining Forces, First Lady Michelle Obama’s initiative to support military families
    •@lacasablanca; White House updates in Spanish
    •@letsmove; Let’s Move!, First Lady Michelle Obama’s initiative to raise a healthier generation of kids
    •@OMBPress; Office of Management and Budget
    •@VP; Office of Vice President Biden
    •@WhiteHouseOSTP; Office of Science and Technology
    •@WhiteHouseCEQ; Center of Environmental Quality
    •@WHLive; White House live updates
    •@Brundage44; Amy Brundage, Deputy Press Secretary
    •@ChrisLu44; Chris Lu, Cabinet Secretary
    •@DavidAgnew44; David Agnew, Director of the Office of Intergovernmental Affairs
    •@jearnest44; Josh Earnest, Principal Deputy Press Secretary
    •@jesseclee44; Jesse Lee, Director of Progressive Media and Online Response
    •@JonCarson44; Jon Carson, Director of the Office of Public Engagement
    •@jsmith44; Jamie Smith, Deputy Press Secretary
    •@ks44; Kori Schulman, Director of Online Engagement, Office of Digital Strategy
    •@macon44; Macon Phillips, Director of the Office of Digital Strategies
    •@petesouza; Pete Souza, Director of the White House Photography Office
    •@pfeiffer44; Dan Pfeiffer, Director of Communications
    •@PressSec; Jay Carney, White House Press Secretary
    •@vj44; Valerie Jarrett, Senior Advisor to the President

46. 236 cookemom
    July 6, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I love this whole call to action that puts our focus where it should be. When we feel down, or hear something that makes us want to gnash and thrash, a simple #CanMittMatchThis? is at the ready. It can be done at any time in any form available. I’m sending this to my #1 and #2 to add to their tweets and facebook. It takes less than a minute to make an impact. We’ll get them with a thousand cuts.

July 6, 2012 at 11:54 pm

‘It takes less than a minute to make an impact. We’ll get them with a thousand cuts.’

Administered with a smile while looking them directly in the eye. You got it, CM!

47. 239 Tally
    July 6, 2012 at 8:23 pm
    July 6, 2012 at 8:24 pm
  49. 241 Suzanne
    July 6, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I found out about a project called Thunderclap today. It looks like they use Facebook and not Twitter. People can sign up and a message will be posted from everyone at the same time like a clap of thunder. This is their campaign for Walmart. I don’t do Facebook so I didn’t sign up but I think some people here are talking about the same idea — to find a way to use social media for good.

This is thunderclap: https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/76-taxpayers-pay-walmart-salaries

And the other project is The Winning Words: http://www.winningwordsproject.com/

Scroll down that initial page and you can see that they support ACA, President Obama and Democrats. Looks like a good group to me. They do use all the social media including Twitter. You can Tweet from a page and it composes a message. The Obama Team, DNC and DCCC do that to. I love that!

I think it is very important that we focus on the good that President Obama is doing. A lot of Democratic sites as well as the media focus on the GOP — they suck up all the oxygen. They have been like the bad kid in the family. Thank what it would be like if no one had paid attention to the Tea Party or Palin! They would have faded away to nothing. The GOP is the same way. They make a lot of noise because they are frightened and it makes them feel more powerful to be loud and angry. They have been getting attention for it and they influence others — influence is the key word. We can influence people too with plans like VC’s, The Winning Words, Linda at What is Working and Thunderclap.

We make a difference every single time we speak with love about President Obama and our vision for this country. When we stand up for equality. When we talk about facts. When we respect others even when we disagree with them. When we feel calm and sure, our calmness has an effect on the people listening. They may not agree right then, but it will be in their mind. I have a brother who is a Bircher and he’s repeated back to me some things that I had said to him two or three months before.

I could go on! I love this plan, VC. I love being shoulder to shoulder with President Obama and all of you working for my own good and the good of this country. Thank you for suggesting this.

July 7, 2012 at 12:06 am

Hi Suzanne. I agree it’s time for a team of us (the TOD MSM?? ;) ;)) to FOCUS (WHOLEHEARTEDLY) on the good that President Obama and his team are doing , and stop allowing the GOP to suck up all the oxygen. They’ve had 31/2 years, so we can call dibs on this last half.

50. July 6, 2012 at 8:28 pm
  51. July 6, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Hello TOD friends – count me in. I am not really knowledgeable about Twitter but have been faithfully tweeting from various sources. I get notified when someone re-tweets and have become more and more convinced that this is the greatest communication tool. I’ll make it a daily routine tweeting at least 10 simple statements about the President’s accomplishments, positive change and the vision we all share. This is exciting – thank you vc for a great idea and thank you Chips for sharing it.

52. 245 whatisworking
    July 6, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Chips – I have a question for you, where do you get the images you put up at this site, most specifically the 20 reasons to support this fella post. I would like to make a poster of these pictures and put it in our OFA office which is opening tomorrow. I was wondering if there are any images that are higher resolution than the ones from the blog.

Thanks

53. 246 whatisworking
    July 6, 2012 at 8:37 pm

This is encouraging, keep talking Joe

Duckworth Sees Donation Increase Since Walsh Attack

54. July 6, 2012 at 8:43 pm
  55. 248 donna dem 4 obama
    July 6, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Grab a cup of joe with Joe

The Vice President is sitting down to chat with a few supporters over a cup of coffee sometime soon.

Donate to be automatically entered for the chance to be there.

56. July 6, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Vice President Joe Biden is scheduled to travel to Park City next week on a fundraising trip, capping off three weeks of high-profile political events in the area by both of the country’s major political parties.
    There is a possibility he will be spending the night locally, but his itinerary had not been made public by the end of the week. One of the Biden events is anticipated to be Tuesday evening in the Snyderville Basin home of John and Kristi Cumming. Kristi Cumming is well known as a supporter of President Obama and was one of the state’s so-called superdelegates to the 2008 Democratic National Convention during which Obama received the party’s nomination.
    Obama supporters headed to the fundraiser will pay $8,000 per couple or $5,000 per person to attend a reception with Biden that includes a photo. Someone wanting premium seating will pay $1,000 while general admission costs $500 per person. Young professionals and grassroots supporters may attend for $100. The co-chairs of the event paid $25,000 per couple or raised $50,000.

This is wonderful! A 3 week fundraising trip? Wow!

July 6, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Ok..thoughts and comments please. I just joined Women for Obama on Dashboard. Should I write a blurb on there directing everyone to this site and telling them of our plan (vc’s dream) to highlight and spread the goodness of PBO with #CanMittMatchThis? The more we get onboard, I’m thinking…the better and stronger we are, the more we spread our hopeful message to move this country FORWARD! Thoughts???

58. July 6, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Capping a dramatic showdown over the most expensive project in state history, California legislators Friday gave final approval to high-speed rail, firing the nation’s first bullet train toward the future after an impassioned debate over whether the project’s price tag was too high in a state whose economy is still hobbling.
    The Democrat-controlled Senate passed the first $8 billion leg of the $69 billion project — fittingly, by a single vote. Following the Assembly’s approval on Thursday, there is now nothing left in the path of Gov. Jerry Brown’s plan that voters approved four years ago.
    “Ten, 20, 30 years form now, Californians will be glad that we made the decision and that they have a 21st Century modern transportation system that will be the pride of the country, and the pride of the world,” said Senate President Darrell Steinberg, D-Sacramento.

Meta, this is great!

• July 6, 2012 at 9:07 pm

OMG, I knew the Assembly passed it earlier today but I was worried about the Senate because not all Dems were on board. WOOOOOOTTTTT!!!!

• 258 purpleshoesla
      July 6, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Double WOOT! I’ve been writing my state reps about the need for HSR in CA for awhile now. Thanks for the link.

• 259 susanne
      July 6, 2012 at 9:21 pm

yeah! california enters the 21st century! will the rest of america follow?

• 260 nathkatun7
      July 7, 2012 at 1:52 am

This is one of the reasons I am so proud to be a Californian! I know we have our share of weird people, like Darrell Issa, but for the most part Californians are always a forward looking people. Sen. Steinberg is absolutely right: My children (who will by then be in their middle ages) and my grandchildren will be proud that California decided to join the 21st Century when it came to transportation. Any one who drives on our streets, highways and freeways in our great state knows fully well that there is no way our increasing population can continue to depend, almost exclusively, on automobiles for transportation.

July 6, 2012 at 9:12 pm
  60. July 6, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Rachel Maddow can be so fucking insufferably depressing.

• 264 sabreen60
      July 6, 2012 at 10:13 pm

I stopped watching. I only watch Stephanie Miller on Current unless there is a guest on someone’s show I really want to see.

July 6, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Drunken Irishman, it seem you get depress so easily. Keep the faith.

61. 266 lamh35
    July 6, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Some people were talking about the money game, and the first segment on Rachel Maddow she pretty much list the money that have been made and compared it to the other side.

She listed the four main donors to Dem causes in 2004: Soros, Bing and 2 others. In 2004 they gave double digit millions to Dems and John Kerry, but this year….barely anything. One of the donors in fact have double digit million in 2004, this year so far…$200,000.

Which has even led Rachel to ask…why?

I have my suspicions how about ya’ll.

• July 6, 2012 at 9:27 pm

My suspicions are probably more innocent than yours.

My guess…

1) He’s an incumbent. In ’04, Kerry was the challenger. It’s always easier to raise money against someone than for someone – especially after four years of the other party’s rule. In ’04, the election was a vote against Bush, not for Kerry. That hatred helps, believe it or not. This election cycle, with Obama being the incumbent, there is no one to hate. Sure, you can run against Romney, but that isn’t what this election is about. The hatred, from our side is just not there because it’s our guy in office. It’s why Republicans were so motivated earlier in the year and why they’re so hell-bent on getting Obama out of office. But of course, their vote, like the Dem’s in ’04, is not for the challenger, rather against the incumbent.

2) I believe they believe he will win. In ’04, Kerry was the challenger, which automatically made him the underdog. Romney is the underdog in this race. The incentive to boost him, to do everything they can to get him the point where he’s the favorite, isn’t there because, well, Obama is already the favorite. Polls show this. Betting sites show this. The motivation might not be there. If Obama was trailing, if it became apparent he very well could lose this race to Romney, the urgency would be there.

That’s my guess. Then again, Soros is on record as saying he can tolerate Romney as president. So…

• 268 Lovepolitics2008
        July 6, 2012 at 9:44 pm

We can hope that those big donors will wake up after seeing Romney raising more than President Obama, for two months in a row.

• 269 prettyfoot58
      July 6, 2012 at 9:30 pm

What are your suspicions

• July 6, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Steve Bing just like Lady Forrester de Roschild (sp.?) was a staunch Hillary supporter and said some really horrible things about candidate Obama in 2008, so no surprise he’s very stingy this time. He didn’t give in ’08 either. Soros is having his temper tantrums, and Lewis, I have no idea what’s wrong with him. Of course “Race’ cold be a part of their reticence to open their wallets.

I think many Lib billionaires think Pres. Obama has magical powers and therefore needs no help just like Emoprogs have thought. Then again perhaps these billionaires prefer the dog-eat-dog world that Romney will unleash if god forbid he should win. I don’t get them.

maybe they don’t want to fight for the 99% anymore and would rather we fend for ourselves amid the avalanche of Koch slime hurtling down our necks. They recalcitrance is feeding a very bad narrative, that is not good for Democratic politics. Why wold any politician want to fight for us who don’t have Koch billions? They’ll simply give in to the billionaire dismantling of our democracy. And PBO will not be the one hurt.

Bill Gates, Buffett, Zuckerberg, Katzenberg, Spielberg & others better wake up or they’ll lose their money in a Romney dispensation, when the social contact, education, the economy, and healthcare are dismantled.

• 272 cookemom
        July 6, 2012 at 9:46 pm

The thing is that every single person you named in your comment, including PBO, will do fine under a Mitt presidency. That’s the group who will be protected under Mitt’s policies. I think the Dem billionaires didn’t think PBO meant what he said during his campaign. they thought he’d be like the other politicians who once in office, do the bidding of the big ticket donors. Now they’re about protecting their own interests. They won’t actively support Mitt, but they’re ok sitting on the side lines for him.

• 273 lamh35
        July 6, 2012 at 9:47 pm

My suspicions are pretty much what you said zizi.

• 274 Brit
        July 6, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Liberal billionairs are just not comfortable with pouring money into PACs. They will give the max, $4800, and host and attend fundraisers. Oprah allowed a fashion fundraiser to be held at Harpo not too long ago, and attended the Tyler Perry fundraiser. Buffet recently said he won’t donate to any PACs, but I am pretty sure that he has given his $4800. By the way, Katzenberg has been hosting MANY fundraisers for POTUS.

• 275 Brit
          July 6, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Personally, I don’t won’t Oprah, Buffet, Zuckerberg et al., doing what Mitt’s billionairs are doing, which is try to buy an election.

July 6, 2012 at 10:35 pm

If I had the millions of dollars I would donate it because we have to fight dirty if the other side is fighting dirty. We need the money and the wealthy Democrats ought to be donating to fight back at these Republicans. If what they have seen from these radical extreme Republicans doesn’t scare them enough to want to put out the money I have to wonder about them. Are they going to sit on the side line and let the Republicans billionaires, millionaires steal this election?

• July 6, 2012 at 10:56 pm

There are times when I think its best they don’t. The media loves to do “both sides do it” and while Dems/Libs push to end Citizens United, the MSM will instead focus on how both sides collected a lot of money rather than how toxic that ruling was.

• 278 nathkatun7
      July 7, 2012 at 3:13 am

I have my suspicions too, lmh35, but it’s best I keep them to my self. At this juncture, we just can’t afford to indulge in any speculations that are likely to further divide us. I am convinced that we, the non-rich ordinary people can put up stiff competition to the rich people supporting Romney. Just imagine if 5 million of us who support President Obama donated at least 30 dollars a month (that is $1 a day). We would easily match Romney’s few donors who supposedly donated 100 million dollars to his Campaign this month. Once we, ordinary people, realize the power in our numbers we can make this election the turning point that proves that organized and mobilized people can no longer be intimidated and overwhelmed by the moneyed interests. Here is what we have going for us: We can raise money in small amounts from many donors and we can also mobilize voters in large numbers from these same donors. On the other hand,their side depends on raising large sums of money from a few large donors. But since they can’t mobilize large numbers of voters from their donors, their trump card is to use their money to divide us ordinary people so that many of us end up voting against our interests. Obviously, if we can raise near as much as money as they can we can effectively blunt their divide and conquer tactics.

Here is the bottom line: the billionaires, like Koch brothers, have very few votes; whereas teachers, firefighters, cops, auto workers, nurses, janitors, waitresses, machinists, construction workers, farmers, small business owners, students, veterans, the disabled, etc., etc,. have millions and millions of votes. The only way the privileged moneyed interests are able to win is to use their money to bamboozle us the average voters. But if we can spend just a dollar a day to support the President and Democrats, we can effectively neutralize the money spent by billionaires and multimillionaires and thus defeat their tactics of divide and conquer.

• 279 prettyfoot58
        July 7, 2012 at 1:27 pm

hello Nath…

they each may have only one vote…but their money buys influence thru TV ads….thru TV and radio programming…and of course MSM/newspapers

for instance….how much did the ads that questioned the legitmacy of a Recall cause folks to question whether it was right or wrong to even hold a recall vote…and of course we do not know who sponsored those ads…

the danger of the dark money is the influence that it holds….

but i do not think that reason so called big money donors on the Democratic side are sitting out for philosophical reasons…and perhaps if it was Hillary who was up re-election the money would be flowing in…

not just for her…but for congressional races as well…

Weinstein dodged the question on RMs show ….i suppose he did not want to antagonize anyone….

July 6, 2012 at 9:17 pm
    • 281 susanne
      July 6, 2012 at 9:24 pm

no, actually, we’re tired of demanding that he say what he stands for. we’re also tired of demanding he produce his tax records. now, we just want him to go away.

• 282 nathkatun7
      July 7, 2012 at 3:17 am

UT, thank you so much for sharing these excellent tweets! You are doing such an amazing job!

63. July 6, 2012 at 9:19 pm

The Obama campaign is padding its already significant TV ad time for the month of July, two sources tracking the 2012 air war tell me.

We reported earlier this week that Obama was reserving airtime throughout the month of July, in a combination of 30-second and 60-second time slots. NBC pegged his total monthly spending at $24.1 million.

One media-buying source says that Obama is now adding to his 30-second time blocks between July 3 and 20.

The reinforcement of Obama’s TV presence comes after two major conservative outside groups, American Crossroads and Americans for Prosperity, launched multi-million-dollar air campaigns against the president. Crossroads unveiled a $25 million TV blitz Friday morning.

64. July 6, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Hanna Gerhard ‏@Abbenrode
    Pres.Obama knows- education enhances the lives of individuals, the health of the economy and the greatness of the nation ‪#CanMittMatchThis‬

How do you copy a tweet?

• July 6, 2012 at 9:24 pm

In your Twitter application, for each Tweet, look at the upper right hand corner and you will see a time or date – right click it and select copy link, then paste it wherever, like here, e.g., ….

If you want to copy a Tweet that anyone posts in a TOD comment, just right click on the date, select copy link, etc.

#PRESSON

• July 6, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Thank you, Bobfr. I will learn to do this properly. Sorry for the typo. I definitely need new glasses – the letters are getting smaller every day. And thank you, all TODers for RT. We can do this.

65. July 6, 2012 at 9:29 pm

California poll- the President way ahead-

Down ticket- should pickup five.

66. 288 Tally
    July 6, 2012 at 9:42 pm
  67. July 6, 2012 at 9:42 pm
  68. 294 Tally
    July 6, 2012 at 10:00 pm
    • 295 isonprize
      July 6, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Tally, in your “Tally” way. please explain the libor stuff. I know it has to do with a sort of ‘price fixing’ and I know that’s bad, but that’s all I know. Can you ‘xplain it like I’m a 5 year old? Because on this issue, I AM a 5 yr old.

Thanks. sister…

• 296 isonprize
        July 6, 2012 at 10:11 pm

I know Bob Diamond, who quit Barclays, also quit as Myth’s London fundraising chair. How is it all connected? Or is there a link that is not full of financial jargon?

• 297 Tally
          July 6, 2012 at 10:36 pm

The scandal in a nutshell is basically the banksters manipulated the rates. It’s been going on for years.

LIBOR: The London Interbank Offered Rate is the average interest rate estimated by leading banks in London that they would be charged if borrowing from other banks.

The LIBOR is widely used as a reference rate for many financial instruments, such as:
          – forward rate agreements
          – short-term-interest-rate futures contracts
          – interest rate swaps
          – inflation swaps
          – floating rate notes
          – syndicated loans
          – variable rate mortgages
          – currencies, especially the US dollar (see also Eurodollar).
          They, thus, provide the basis for some of the world’s most liquid and active interest-rate markets.

The DOJ have been all over it. If our press did it’s JOB, I really don’t believe we’d all be in this mess at this point.

And now it’s going down like an asteroid colliding with Earth – TheMedia is basically starring at the sky, watching armegeddon approach, and too stunned and stupid to speak of it.

If you google LIBOR – and go to NEWS there are reports coming fast and furious. Thankfully there are a handful of economic reporters out there who are on this, and can upload to the web. It will be interesting to see how fast it gets into the MSM, if it does at all. I don’t see how they avoid it, especially since it’s going to involve a lot of prison jumpsuits for some very prominate CEOs.

• 298 Tally
            July 6, 2012 at 10:37 pm

oops – sorry for the repeat line there…. grrrr. EDIT BUTTON!!!!

• 299 isonprize
              July 6, 2012 at 10:51 pm

no sorry needed. Muchas Gracias, chickadee. :grin: I’ve got so much going on on THIS side of the big pond, I just haven’t paid much attention to the rest of the world. I know, I know… How “American” of me.

• July 6, 2012 at 11:03 pm

So once again, MSM fiddles while the elite robs us blind.

69. 301 debra13
    July 6, 2012 at 10:06 pm

i LOVE this idea! Now I’m stuck trying to come up with something original…but never “fear” I will! I’m all in, VC

70. July 6, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Regarding Syria, the link is quite an accurate assessment, albeit tongue-firmly-planted-in-cheek … it’s all go from here … and all gone for ASSad …

Syria has truly become the ‘tourist’ attraction of the summer … just like Libya a year ago, remember :)

71. 304 Tally
    July 6, 2012 at 10:11 pm
  72. July 6, 2012 at 10:25 pm
  73. July 6, 2012 at 10:28 pm
  74. July 6, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Hi Bobfr I am still not getting it. I don’t see an option “Copy link” so I selected “Copy shortcut” but it doesn’t work.

75. July 6, 2012 at 10:33 pm

HRC just landed in Kabul in a surprise trip.

76. 314 hgerhard
    July 6, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Ok – it came out right. Learned another thing. Thanks!

77. July 6, 2012 at 10:40 pm

·.·Rock Wuz Here.·.
    ·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·
    ·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·

78. July 6, 2012 at 10:42 pm

photo/1

July 7, 2012 at 12:56 am

Finally TODobots: THANK YOU ALL for your warm response to this suggestion! I am extremely appreciative of your willingness to participate.

CRYON: #CanMittMatchThis? is not meant in any way to restrict any of TODville’s other approaches to the business of helping to secure PBO’s second term. Instead, it’s an offshoot, meant to be an additional ‘app’, if you will. (See, I’m learning new terminology all the time, even when I don’t quite understand the meaning.) ;) ;) [Shut up, VC!]

80. July 7, 2012 at 5:09 am

Hi ladies & gents, I LOVE this idea! Been MIA – had brain surgery – for reals! Well, my fam always thought I was crazy anyway. ;) You are all the best and even when I don’t post, I ck in every day that I’m able. I was a retweeting fool tonight – last night now. Mitt can use some brain surgery, imo. Many hugs to all, Jennifer