Jul

Rise and Shine

A lukewarm reception for President Obama at Centreville High School …… ;-)

Virginia Beach

Paul Krugman: … this is only for the specifics Romney has announced; he claims that he will make up for the large revenue losses under his plan (Obama gains revenue) by closing loopholes. But he refuses to say which, and the clear reality is that he’s talking through his hat. Meanwhile, Romney also proposes severe cuts in Medicaid, and his party wants big cuts in other safety-net programs.

So like it or not, we have an election in which one candidate is proposing a redistribution from the top — which is currently paying lower taxes than it has in 80 years — downward, mainly to lower-income workers, while the other is proposing a large redistribution from the poor and the middle class to the top.

So the next time someone tut-tuts about “class warfare”, remember that the class war is already happening, in real policy — with the top .01 percent on offense.

Cagle

ThinkProgress: In a series of interviews yesterday, Mitt Romney maintained he would only release tax returns dating back two years…..

….On the sidelines of the National Governors Association meeting in Williamsburg, Alabama’s Republican governor, Robert Bentley, called on Romney to release all the documents requested of him.

“If you have things to hide, then maybe you’re doing things wrong,” Bentley said. “I think you ought to be willing to release everything to the American people.“

Ana Navarro, a prominent Republican strategist, has also called on Romney to release more tax returns, telling Politico “I wish he’d hurry up and release more tax returns so this distraction would go away.”

More here

Monday: The President will travel to Cincinnati, Ohio for a campaign event.

Tuesday: The President will travel to San Antonio and Austin, Texas for campaign events.

Wednesday: The President will attend meetings at the White House.

Thursday: The President will travel to Jacksonville and West Palm Beach, Florida for campaign events. He will remain overnight in Manalapan, Florida.

Friday: The President will travel to Ft. Myers and Orlando, Florida for campaign events. Later, the President will return to Washington, DC.

President Obama and Michelle Obama are on CBS News Sunday Morning – check your local listings (thanks for the reminder UT)

Morning everyone ;-)

362 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

July 15, 2012 at 8:17 am

Well Good Morning Chips, TOD, everyone :)

Happy Sunday! These campaign images (e.g., PBO in rain, little girl reaching out to him, diverse crowds cheering, smiling, applauding, rapt, etc) are extremely powerful.

2. 14 JER
    July 15, 2012 at 8:17 am

Good Morning Everybody.

July 15, 2012 at 8:24 am

First?

• 17 amk for obama
      July 15, 2012 at 8:25 am

Drats. oh, well.

• July 15, 2012 at 8:53 am

I’m all for anything that nails Willard, but I’m among the few that thinks all this hyperbole over the Olympic uniforms is just pandering and stupid. It’s horrible, of course, that our clothes are no longer made in this country, but the time to be screeching about this was years ago when all manufacturing was exiting our shores. As many have said, look at the labels in your closet—–all are made elsewhere. This reminds me of “freedom fries” and all that nonsense. I’m all for insourcing and bringing manufacturing back, but until then, Ralph Lauren is an original American co. which makes quality clothes, which are sadly now made elsewhere, the same as every other clothing co.

• 19 57andFemale
          July 15, 2012 at 9:08 am

The AFL-CIO provided a list of companies that could have made the uniforms in the U.S.

I understand your point, dotster, but it often takes clearly defined examples — like the Olympics uniforms — to bring these issues to the forefront. The U.S. Olympic Committee should not have let this happen — under Romney or anyone else.

I have circulatory problems and need to wear compression hose. I found a company that still makes this hosiery in the United States. Quelle surprise — the quality is great and the prices are even more competitive than the other expensive crap.

Speaking of expensive crap: I, for one, am sick and tired of paying good money for expensive products and clothing (I am not talking Wal-mart here) that effing fall apart. I bought a set of electric curlers that were very expensive. The SECOND time I used them, they stopped working.

And the bathrobe I just bought — the fabric literally started to disintegrate the first time I wore it, with peach-colored tufts of fuzz all over the house.

• July 15, 2012 at 9:36 am

I agree on the huge loss of quality ——-on everything —–made elsewhere. A bunch of junk, junkily made. Wal Mart, and similar, is all junk. I don’t know if there are big clothing co.s which still make clothes here—-doubt it—-but every time I check an American Made site—–there are a couple of t shirts—-and that is all. With all the Olympics criticism, one article listed a retail shop near me in Barrington, Il. I looked to see if they were capable of making a whole fleet of Olympic uniforms—–and—-hardly. They had a lot of flags and flag table cloths etc., some soaps and a couple of t shirts.

• 21 Pugeretto
              July 15, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Norton’s, I go there once in a while. They have a clothing display, but it is not a huge store. As suspected, we need to DEMAND “Made-In-America” before enough merchandise is produced.

• 22 taiping1
            July 15, 2012 at 11:10 am

It simportant to note that everything from the Obama store is made in America. It can be done when it is important to make a statement of values.

• 23 purpleshoesla
            July 15, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Well said, particularly the part about examples like these “making it real” for people in this country. Hullo!!

“All made in China. Someone has to explain to me why we can’t make the same expensive crap in the United States, that falls apart and at least pay a taxpaying American to make it.” :lol: I’d like that explanation as well!

• 24 purpleshoesla
          July 15, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Must respectfully disagree. In most if not all of the President’s speeches he makes the point that he wants more manufacturing back here in the US. He wants goods (I believe that would includes clothes) stamped with those three proud words “Made in America”. Just like affordable healthcare, I truly believe he wants to do something about this to correct this. While these statements always gets enthusiastic applause from the crowd, that soaring rhetoric doesn’t really hit home to people until they see (again & again) really visceral examples like these at the US Olympics.

I think more and more people this election cycle are finally beginning to wake up and “smell the coffee” as they realize how EVERY aspect of their lives has been negatively impacted/tainted by decades of Repug policies of “privitize and profitize by any and all means necessary with a few gov’t bailouts along the way for the top 1%, thank you very much”. It’s not pandering or screeching hyperbole. It’s education that is long overdue. It needs to continue (relentlessly) so that as PBO said yesterday when the people want change, that’s when change occurs.

The fact that Romney outsourced Olympic uniforms overseas 10 years ago, continues to paint him as the poster child of the vision that is wrong for this country,buttressing that stark contrast between PBO and himself. It also further illustrates what a pathological liar Mittens is as he tries to side step his Bain outsouring activities and paint himself as the “Benevolent grand poobah of job creation”. It all dovetails quite nicely in my humble opinion. So bring it on.

July 15, 2012 at 8:29 am

• 26 theo67
      July 15, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I wish they’d put quotes or something around the word “president” on the Romney side. But, I guess this is the closest he’ll ever get to actually being President.

5. July 15, 2012 at 8:31 am

Rahm is on this week and the president is on CBS at 9!

July 15, 2012 at 8:33 am

So where can we find the beautiful and powerful images of Willard and Ms. Ann interacting with kids of all different backgrounds? Anybody knows?

• 31 Zekke LyDonna
      July 15, 2012 at 8:34 am

You mean pushing their faces in plates of butter?

• 32 amk for obama
      July 15, 2012 at 8:40 am

Let us not talk about sun rising in the west.

• 33 utaustinliberal
      July 15, 2012 at 8:44 am

You can find Willard Mitt Romney here; on his multimillion dollar yacht that just screams “middle-class.”

• 34 amk for obama
        July 15, 2012 at 8:50 am

Chips should do a compare and contrast of these ‘water’ pics.

• July 15, 2012 at 9:16 am

I cannot bring myself to look….

• 36 0388jojothecat
          July 15, 2012 at 10:15 am

When President Obama and family vacation, they go to places the average familys go to and they mingle with the community, spend money in those communities. The very wealthy Presidents goes someone where they are cut off from the people and are sheltered from the people. The GOP Presidents don’t go into the communities unless they are stumping for votes.

July 15, 2012 at 8:49 am

hopefruit2, they are interested in kids, their rich kids and grandkids.

• 39 veryslowwriter
        July 15, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Yes, other people’s families leave them cold. How could you think that zipping around on your speedboat (with your snowy white relatives) is a good contrast to PBO campaigning in the rain? Who is it that’s out of touch?
        Even the Bush family includes some Latinos.

• July 15, 2012 at 8:57 am

I saw images of Willard visiting that classroom with AA kids, but it was not beautiful or powerful. They were scowling at him, did not look happy in the slightest.

7. 41 Zekke LyDonna
    July 15, 2012 at 8:33 am

I love those photos. I Love my president.

Prissy Mitt is in a street fight. That lying sack of crap. How awesome do you think that convention will be? OMG

How much ‘free coverage’ do you think the new ‘firms’ campaign ad will be worth? Millions? Everyone is showing it. Even the weak-chicken livered MSM will show it, because they won’t want to be out of the loop. It will probably go viral. I sent a link to everyone on my email contact list.

My new favorite hashtags:
    #ApologiesToMittRomney #WhatRomneyTaughtMe

8. 48 ourmanflint
    July 15, 2012 at 8:35 am

Good morning Chips and TOD family. Great coverage of PBO in Virginia

July 15, 2012 at 8:36 am

“so this distraction would go away.”

Really ? Calling for honesty and background check from the person running for the world’s highest office is just a distraction ?

The rethugs live in their own world, don’t they ?

10. July 15, 2012 at 8:36 am

Washington Post is blaming middle east peace on Obama! Even though, the Palestinians, Jews and the Christians have been fighting for Jerusalem for 2k years? Middle East Peace was dead, when Nut the Yahoo was elected, 1 month after this President!
    I wonder what their own fact checker will say about that?

July 15, 2012 at 8:44 am

Their fact checker will say that PBO was indeed alive during the period 2K years ago when the Palestinians, Jews and Christians were fighting for Jerusalem and he was and continues to be solely responsible for the chaos in that region.

• July 15, 2012 at 8:54 am

Right! You see? Wa Post is ludicrous! One minute, they Are on the Presidents side, the next minute they are tea bagging!
        Sort of like MSNBainC!

• 56 57andFemale
        July 15, 2012 at 9:11 am

He must have been! There was a fake birth announcement on a marble tablet somewhere.

• 57 sabreen60
      July 15, 2012 at 11:30 am

The Washington Post is a neoconservative paper. Don’t buy it. If you have old copies use them to line your birdcage of to teach your puppy where to do his business.

July 15, 2012 at 8:37 am

• July 15, 2012 at 8:47 am

Up with Chris was running ads about him having a Bain employee on this Morning? No? Maybe not!
      He is talking about obamas base, Latinas and AA and how the GOP can court them.
      How lovely!
      Next?

• July 15, 2012 at 8:48 am

Their He Is! Put it on, the Bain dude has arrived! Cool!

July 15, 2012 at 8:52 am

I just changed the channel but they’re on commercial break! Has the segment aired already?

July 15, 2012 at 8:57 am

I’m watching. But I’m not sure I understand what that former Bain Capital fella is trying to do. Is he trying to excuse away Willard’s shady dealings?

• July 15, 2012 at 9:00 am

I don’t know. Chris is asking stupid ass questionsthat are irrelevant.why have this guy on if you ain’t going to ask about Robney?
                Strange conversation and disappointing!

July 15, 2012 at 9:03 am

I’m always skeptical about Hayes. If it were Obama, he would have no problem asking these questions and making the whole segment entirely about PBO. He has not mentioned Willard in this entire segment. Now they’ve moved on to talking about Wall Street and “both sides do it” false equivalency nonsense…

Okay, now on to CBS to see my POTUS and FLOTUS!

• July 15, 2012 at 8:57 am

So far, he is only talking about Bain, not Robney and his problems there.
            Perhaps, this Man was talked too and had pre conditions?
            I hope not! Missing a good opportunity to ask pointed questions.

• 67 Obama Grandmama
        July 15, 2012 at 4:31 pm

The first part of the roundtable included the Bain guy (sorry, forgot his name). He has written a book and seemed to be defending the financial practices of Wall St. saying 95% of people working there are not corrupt and abstain from those practices. The conversation was about the banking problems and how those working there were encouraged by bonuses to cheat. Most of the others at the table were talking of the current atmosphere of lessening morals and cheating being rewarded. The Bain guy seemed totally out of touch with the cheating aspect. When the conversation got around to Romney, Bain and the Olympics he totally defended Romney not being there. Saying the only thing Romney was involved with was negotiating for more money for exiting the company. He said they had a hard time penning him down to even meet with them on that. So it is possible Romney did not involve himself with Bain much after the Olympics.

BUT the fact that Romney’s name was still on the company means to me that Romney was responsible. If Mitt feels differently about that think about how that reflects on how he takes on responsibilities and whether he would be reflecting what the American people expect from their President. Also that Romney is more than willing to take credit for successes no matter how small of an involvement. Mitt put it in one interview he helped set Staples on the correct course whether he continued involvement with them or not. If that is his feelings then the reverse should be true also that he set Bain on its course and should get credit for the bad as well especially with his name on the SEC forms. He used his ownership to get to run for governor. So he uses it when he needs it but distances himself when it is not to his advantage.

One of the people at the table expressed something that I have been thinking about for a long time that is not being discussed. That is that our whole economy is based on consumerism. In order to have a good economy and jobs we have to make things. In order for us to have the need for things we need to have enough money to afford things. Then we can hire workers (jobs) to make things. My question is why do we need so many things to begin with? How can we create a culture that is not pushing consumerism? I know I am trying to live in a small place and trying to not have every appliance known to man as it floods my space with unneeded things. I do not think having a lot of stuff should define happiness. Maybe when I moved out of Juneau and had to sell all my stuff and that was hard I realized the need not to acquire so much stuff. We seem to acquire things and need to rent spaces to store our stuff in. We sell stuff but then go to garage sales to get more stuff. Are we insane? How can we create jobs not based on stuff?

July 15, 2012 at 8:52 am

I usually don’t watch any of these Sunday shows , but only POTUS and FLOTUS can get me to watch them.

12. 69 Zekke LyDonna
    July 15, 2012 at 8:39 am

From a black man to Mitt Romney: Fuck you.

Black people don’t want free shit, you out of touch Dr. Reed Richards hair having motherfucker.

We want the same shit that your white constituency wants: Opportunity, good schools, safe streets, JOBS, a house that doesn’t fucking double and triple in interest rate while the value plummets, a place to shit with a door on it and the ability to not be denied coverage when we have a medical problem. We’re no different than anybody else but you wouldn’t know that because the only black person you probably know personally you just happen to be running against him for president.

I’m tired of these piece of shit Republicans talking DOWN and whitesplaining to people of color AS IF they had it hard all their lives. NO Mitt Romney, you never had to worry about the price of milk ever in your fucking life. You were raised with a silver spoon in your mouth and your father probably owned a silver spoon factory.

July 15, 2012 at 8:59 am

To imply, no come right out and say that all black people want is free stuff, as if there is no black people who gets up everyday and go to work, black people who work their behinds off to give their families a good decent life. Yes there are free loaders, but that is true in every race. Not just the black race. But as Goldie Taylor said, if there was any doubt, there isn’t any more, we know what is in Mitt Romney’s heart. And to the person who wrote that comment, BRAVO.

July 15, 2012 at 8:53 am

14. 72 Ladyhawke
    July 15, 2012 at 8:57 am

MITT ROMNEY’S “POST-TRUTH CAMPAIGN”

If Mitt Romney were running a “post-truth” campaign, would the political press report it?

By Jay Rosen

—————————————————–

I think there’s evidence that the Romney forces have figured much of this out. And so even though we have a political press that believes itself to be a savvy judge of campaign strategy, here is one that will probably go unnamed and un-described because (…and this may be the cleverest part) a post-truth campaign for president falls into the category of too big to tell.

Meaning: feels too partisan for the officially unaligned. Exposes the press to criticism in too clear a fashion. Messes with the “both sides do it”/we’re impartial narrative that political journalists have mastered: and deeply believe in. Romney will be fact checked, his campaign will push back from time to time, the fact checkers will argue among themselves, and the post-truth premise will sneak into common practice without penalty or recognition, even though there is nothing covert about it.

—————————————————–

15. 73 Ladyhawke
    July 15, 2012 at 8:57 am

A PLEA TO THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA – “DO YOUR JOB”

—————————————————–

Principles of Journalism

Over time journalists have developed nine core principles to meet the task. They comprise what might be described as the theory of journalism:

1. Journalism’s first obligation is to the truth

Democracy depends on citizens having reliable, accurate facts put in a meaningful context. Journalism does not pursue truth in an absolute or philosophical sense, but it can–and must–pursue it in a practical sense. This “journalistic truth” is a process that begins with the professional discipline of assembling and verifying facts. Then journalists try to convey a fair and reliable account of their meaning, valid for now, subject to further investigation. Journalists should be as transparent as possible about sources and methods so audiences can make their own assessment of the information. Even in a world of expanding voices, accuracy is the foundation upon which everything else is built–context, interpretation, comment, criticism, analysis and debate. The truth, over time, emerges from this forum. As citizens encounter an ever greater flow of data, they have more need–not less–for identifiable sources dedicated to verifying that information and putting it in context.

2. Its first loyalty is to citizens

While news organizations answer to many constituencies, including advertisers and shareholders, the journalists in those organizations must maintain allegiance to citizens and the larger public interest above any other if they are to provide the news without fear or favor. This commitment to citizens first is the basis of a news organization’s credibility, the implied covenant that tells the audience the coverage is not slanted for friends or advertisers. Commitment to citizens also means journalism should present a representative picture of all constituent groups in society. Ignoring certain citizens has the effect of disenfranchising them. The theory underlying the modern news industry has been the belief that credibility builds a broad and loyal audience, and that economic success follows in turn. In that regard, the business people in a news organization also must nurture–not exploit–their allegiance to the audience ahead of other considerations.

——————————————–

July 15, 2012 at 9:26 am

Chipsticks, I hope you will be able to put a video of the First Couple interview this morning on CBS Sunday morning, because I wasn’t able to see them. There was some problem with my cable. And boy am I piss too.

July 15, 2012 at 9:47 am

This should be Tweeted to every “journalist” out there. Repeatedly, so they don’t “forget”. Late last night, I posted about a story at the orange place that addresses this very thing. It was an excellent piece. Check it out. It was called : Media…If you can’t do your job….”
      Good Sunday morning to all…and Ladyhawke, thanks for posting this again :)

• 76 susanne
        July 15, 2012 at 3:45 pm

thanks, lh and df, for keeping this in circulation. i grew up believing these tenets to be inviolate–and have been dismayed as they’ve been eroded by partisan corporate owners. there was a firewall between the business side and the editorial side which was held sacred, because it protected the integrity of the neutral, factual voice of the paper.

that is gone, but i believe it can be revived if enough people demand it. i think the whole ‘fact-checking’ fad is a response to this need, and though it too is now polluted, it’s existence is a sign that the need and demand won’t go away.

16. July 15, 2012 at 9:03 am

Snuffloppagas played the Robney camp ad saying Obama is a liar!
    Got that?

17. July 15, 2012 at 9:08 am

Rahm told Robney to stop whining and said get off of Stephanie! He says, what is he going to do when the Chibese Premiere says something, or Putin? Is he going to Whine?
    Stop whining!
    Lol!

July 15, 2012 at 9:08 am

Woohooo POTUS and FLOTUS!

19. 84 Ladyhawke
    July 15, 2012 at 9:10 am

Let’s just say it: The Republicans are the problem.

Norman J. Ornstein, Thomas E. Mann | The Washington Post

April 30, 2012

—————————————————————

We understand the values of mainstream journalists, including the effort to report both sides of a story. But a balanced treatment of an unbalanced phenomenon distorts reality. If the political dynamics of Washington are unlikely to change anytime soon, at least we should change the way that reality is portrayed to the public.

Our advice to the press: Don’t seek professional safety through the even-handed, unfiltered presentation of opposing views. Which politician is telling the truth? Who is taking hostages, at what risks and to what ends?

Also, stop lending legitimacy to Senate filibusters by treating a 60-vote hurdle as routine. The framers certainly didn’t intend it to be. Report individual senators’ abusive use of holds and identify every time the minority party uses a filibuster to kill a bill or nomination with majority support.

————————————————————-

20. 85 Melanie
    July 15, 2012 at 9:13 am

5 seconds into this interview and Charlie Rose is annoying the crap out of me.

• July 15, 2012 at 9:17 am

That is Charlie Roses! And they edit the heck out of it!

• 87 Melanie
        July 15, 2012 at 9:20 am

Chris is interviewing the Bain guy now about Romney’s time.

• 88 Ladyhawke
          July 15, 2012 at 9:23 am

Basically, he is saying it took three years to take care of the paperwork. Merely a technicality. Right, this is exactly the kind of oversight and management we need in the White House. NOT!

July 15, 2012 at 9:30 am

Ladyhawke, I’m not buying. Three years to say Mitt was gone.

• 90 Ladyhawke
              July 15, 2012 at 9:39 am

I know, it strains credulity. But Mitt Romney’s mo is he wants to have it both ways. You know, that double standard thingy. He wants to get the credit for the good outcomes and blame the bad outcomes to some other guy. But President Obama makes the most salient point which is when is Mitt Romney going to take “RESPONSIBILITY” for his actions. If he was the CEO of Bain until 2002 then the BUCK STOPS WITH MITT. Period. Full Stop. After all, that’s how it works with President Obama right now. In fact, Romney has the nerve to blame President Obama for the wreckage left by President Bush. Go figure.

• 91 Geeja
                July 15, 2012 at 10:21 am

This is where the look on Chris’ face was like are you fucking kidding me? His expression at that point was priceless. I am not really crazy about Chris but that moment I saw the real deal.

• 92 57andFemale
            July 15, 2012 at 9:58 am

Even if such nonsense were true, I have a couple of questions/observations:

Were there no secretaries at Bain to fill out this paperwork? My accountant’s assistant made a similar change while I was sitting in her office. took about 10 minutes.

Were investors misled because Mitt’s name was still on everything? Did the investors think that they were investing in Romney when in fact he had NO IDEA what the company was doing?

Did Mitt establish an M.O. for the company, a set of precepts and rules and guiding principles BEFORE he ‘left’ Bain? Did his dividend checks reflect those rules and principles? Or did the company completely go off the rails and invent outsourcing in March, 1999 without Mitt’s knowledge or input?

WAS BAIN CAPITAL THE SAME COMPANY AFTER 1999 THAT IT WOULD HAVE BEEN WITH MITT IN AN OPERATIONAL CAPACITY?

Would he have stopped outsourcing if he only knew it was happening while he was busy ordering U.S. Olympics uniforms from Myanmar and lobbying for MY tax dollars to bail out the Utah crooks then running the Olympics?

IF you didn’t know what the company was doing, should you have known, Mitt? Do you take ANY responsibility for ANYTHING?

• 93 pkayden
              July 15, 2012 at 12:54 pm

“Let me get this straight: PBO is responsible for every job lost from the moment he was sworn in (based on the policies and then current budget of Bush), but Mittens gets three years to get his paperwork right on the ownership of Bain?”

That needs to be a tweet! Great question.

• 94 Obama Grandmama
              July 15, 2012 at 4:46 pm

I am reading this after the fact and have posted something about Chris Haye’s show way up thread. Your question in caps , 57and Female, was similar to something Chris asked about would it have been any different if Romney had been there? The Bain guest said No, it would probably have been the same.

• July 15, 2012 at 11:37 am

It took less time to get out of Iraq, didn’t it?

• 96 nospin
            July 15, 2012 at 4:07 pm

How long did it take President Obama to get ACA passed?

okay

• July 15, 2012 at 9:23 am

I didn’t mind the questions—–they are what he will confront from the Willard campaign—–and he always answers in the best way possible, exhibiting so much common sense and a core decency and honesty. But that was it?—–it was over before it even hardly got started. It was like a cliffhanger—-tune in tomorrow, enticing viewers to tune into CBS tomorrow morning. They’re really using this and stretching it out. They left on President Obama saying that the one thing he underestimated—-not the enormity of the decisions or the pace—-but how much politics trumps problem solving in Washington. That’s for sure, no truer words were ever said.

July 15, 2012 at 9:30 am

I don’t blame PBO for underestimating this. The fact remains that none of us would have been able to predict the extent to which the GOP would trump politics over solutions. The GOP, emboldened and enabled by the corporate media, decided early on that their #1 priority was to make Obama’s term as difficult as possible in order to get him defeated in 2012. Meanwhile, he was focused on solutions – as he should have been, and not on playing politics with the GOP while the American people got screwed.

• July 15, 2012 at 9:37 am

The media also created the tea party, breathless reporting townhalls started this stonewalling. From August of 09, it was obstruction and gop has the tea bagger rallies to back them up! Check!

• 100 0388jojothecat
          July 15, 2012 at 10:44 am

The Republicans had an agenda to obstruct starting immediately after the presidential election because they knew that McCain was not going to win with that VP pick. Then Senator Obama worked with these republicans and know that there are some very reasonable men in the bunch and he thought they would pull together because the country was on the verge of a depression and at the least a severe repression. What President Obama under estimated was the weakness of his own party and the hatred of the segment of the population ginned up by the republican party and their surrogates. I honestly believe that President Obama had not seen this type of senseless bigotry since he was a child in Indonesia. He was too young to have experienced whatever racism his family would have been exposed to in Kansas. While growing up in his formative years in Hawaii he probably experiences much less bigotry than if he lived on the mainland.

July 15, 2012 at 9:25 am

I hate when these media hacks talk about “hope and change” being gone trying to create ads for Willard’s campaign. Tell that hack he needs to stop projecting. The only people for whom “hope and change” is gone are the thugs on Wall Street, the Teabaggers, their cable news cronies, especially as they realize that Mitt Romney is not presidential material.

• 102 0388jojothecat
        July 15, 2012 at 10:51 am

I was flipping channels and accidently landed on TeaNN. Christina Annalopour was talking to a fellow pundit and he was making all the show literally “speaking” for Robme. Making assumptions that he has NO directly knowledge….what kind of crap is this? It’s funny how they can make excuses and reason out that a top level executive does not run the business day-to-day and what’s on those forms really don’t MEAN anything. Yet, none of these nutjobs had the same when it came to PBO birth certificate. Everywhere on the news was “why won’t he ask the state of HI to show his full birth certificate” but there is NO NEED for Robme to show his tax returns for these questionable periods he claimed to have left the company.

21. 104 Bill
    July 15, 2012 at 9:23 am

The Bain partner is saying it was a “technicality” that Willard’s name was on the SEC documents. They had a brand name to protect. This is un-believable.

July 15, 2012 at 9:27 am

Sorry, but we ain’t buying that crap he’s peddling. Somehow I knew that was the motive for having this guy on that show. To make excuse after excuse for Romney while Hayes pretends to be devil’s advocate. The whole goddamn bunch of them at MSNBainCapital need to go to HELL!

• 106 Vicki
        July 15, 2012 at 10:31 am

You are SO right. i watched it , too, even though I know not to trust Chris Hayes. Just hoping for something honest I guess. Won’t make that mistake again.

• 107 57andFemale
      July 15, 2012 at 10:00 am

That’s fraud, you jackass.

July 15, 2012 at 10:08 am

Simple then. They lied to their investors that thought that Romney was at the helm directing their investments. They lied. One way or the other.

• 109 0388jojothecat
      July 15, 2012 at 10:55 am

You know I see this ALL THE TIME…Don’t believe what you read. As an auditor, I research companies websites and I use their own website information to base decisions and almost every time if it is a huge liability for the company, they will tell me that what is advertised on their website doesn’t “mean” what it says and they will proceed to tell me something totally different. I even had a company say they were never doing business in the state, yet it’s on their website or 10K reports that they have employees or offices there.

• 110 sabreen60
      July 15, 2012 at 11:57 am

Tell that to the SEC. Lets see if they say signing an official document is a “technicality” and the lack of truthfulness does not matter.

22. 111 pinkbunny92
    July 15, 2012 at 9:24 am

Morning everyone!! I can’t stand Chris Hayes, so am happy to learn any interesting things from folks here, who have much more patience than I :-)

So glad to hear Rahm said what we’re all thinking, “STOP WHINING” to Mitt Romney, typical bully, can dish it, but can’t take it! What a jackass!

July 15, 2012 at 9:24 am

That was awesome. FLOTUS and POTUS are the best. I’ll bring my tweets over for those who missed the interview. :)

July 15, 2012 at 9:26 am

July 15, 2012 at 9:28 am

26. July 15, 2012 at 9:33 am

Good old Chris Hayes! Let’s get a Baun Guy on to stick up for Mittens, and try to put this whole thing to rest.
    He is just like Alex Wagner, a principle minded liberal, with no concept of Politics. So, they both think Robney is their Guy??? Good luck with that( and Ezra Klein too)!

• 128 Melanie
      July 15, 2012 at 9:38 am

I didn’t get the impression at all that Chris was trying to put the whole thing to rest. I think he was trying to break this guy down and find out what Mitt was doing at Bain in the 1999-2002 “lost years”. What the heck was he getting paid minimum $100,000 to do?

July 15, 2012 at 9:45 am

He wasn’t trying to break him down. He was pretending to be devil’s advocate to give this guy a chance to explain away Romney’s shady dealings. Meanwhile, he was busy playing the false equivalency card saying that both DEMS and Repubs have been benefiting from vulture capitalism, etc,, etc.

President Obama did NOT personally benefit from vulture capitalism, and Obama is Romney’s opponent. Hayes seemed to have missed that completely.

• 130 Melanie
          July 15, 2012 at 9:58 am

I will agree to disagree. At the end of the day Mitt has succeeded in creating enough confusion about this issue that it will not go away. He will have to explain himself one way or the other.

July 15, 2012 at 9:41 am

Correct! Remember my comment from yesterday and why I was so skeptical about this?

• 132 Bill
      July 15, 2012 at 9:41 am

The discussion is skipping over the fact that Willard was signed on as CEO but declaring now that he was not. The Bain partner is throwing out MBA rubbish and the panel is accepting it. This is sickening.

July 15, 2012 at 9:43 am

Now the entire panel is now about how “both sides do it” and the President is engaging in bad policies for the American workers by signing trade deals, and blah blah blah..

MSNBainCapital is HARD at work this morning trying to dilute the effectiveness of the “firms” ad. Thankfully, the people can see right through that faux populist/Libertarian bullshyte. We ain’t falling for that crap. NOT_THIS_TIME.

• July 15, 2012 at 9:42 am

• 141 57andFemale
      July 15, 2012 at 10:02 am

“….a principle mindedlibera, withno concept of Politics.”

Perfect

• 142 57andFemale
        July 15, 2012 at 10:03 am

Jees. The dog was jumping on my lap.

…”principle minded liberal, with no concept of Politics.”

And yes, PERFECT.

• July 15, 2012 at 10:06 am

“no concept of politics”——exactly—–braindead about what it takes to win an election, or completely uninterested. Only interested in hearing themselves talk—–and trying to sound deep and brilliant. Should be on some philosophy channel—-not using up air time on a political oriented news channel.

27. 144 sherijr
    July 15, 2012 at 9:45 am

It is very hard to stop looking at that photo of POTUS & little Miss Kalah Hill… such mutually admiring looks between them, the beauty is almost too much~ along with all the happily smiling people observing. Never never never have I seen such pictures of a President & The People.

28. July 15, 2012 at 9:49 am

I guess Fareed interviewed a Syrian opposition leader! He says, this President should attack Assad and forget about his re election prospects(para phrasing).
    Ummmmmmmmm!

29. July 15, 2012 at 9:51 am

An org. called J Street is running ads about every 20 minutes in Illinois against Joe Walsh. Checked and J Street is a lobbying group for a 2 state solution and a diplomatic over military solution for peace in the Middle East. The ads have insane Walsh saying insane things—-like the U.S. should not be pushing for a peaceful 2 state solution etc. Everyone thinks Walsh is crazy.

July 15, 2012 at 10:14 am

I get emails from J Steet. You are exactly right. Not a fan of Nuttenyahoo.

• 154 pugeretto
      July 15, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Crazier than most. These people that elected him out here, just crazy. I’ve had to ask my neighbors to quit sending me anti-Obama emails, all are just irritating, Fox-level junk, so not too many emails anymore in general…..HA!

July 15, 2012 at 9:53 am

Chris Hayes is stupid. Just fucking stupid. How the hell does one buy that it took Romney three years to extricate himself from Bain Capital, and it took him three years to remove his name and signatures from documents that clearly show they were signed by Romney after 1999? Edward Conard, the Bain guy basically said Romney was being paid over $100,000 for just being a figure head at Bain, that he’s not so sure he can remember if Romney was at any meeting but he does remember that Romney and Bain had nothing to do with outsourcing. That they war job creators.

Thank goodness for Dedrick Muhammad. A lawyer with the NAACP. He was the only one on the panel that was forceful in confronting Conard and calling out his BS. He spoke from a lawyer’s point of view and said either Romney criminally misrepresented himself to investors or he morally misrepresented himself to voters. That his name and signature cannot be on documents after 1999 yet Romney claims to have nothing to do with Bain after 1999. That Romney cannot claim credit for successes at Bain after 1999 yet not also take credit for outsourcing and faiures at Bain after 1999.

Chris was just interested in coddling Ed Conard and telling him how smart he is, how wonderful his book is, how he really understands marginal rates…blah…blah…blah.

July 15, 2012 at 9:57 am

Excellent summation ut. And your first and last sentences have pretty captured our sentiments about Hayes.

• 157 pinkbunny92
      July 15, 2012 at 9:59 am

And why I can’t stand people like Chris Hayes, they bow and scrape before their stupid Right wing Conservative panels, yet bitch about President Obama not being loud and angry and speaking up etc.

Chris Hayes and all the professional left make me sick!

July 15, 2012 at 10:04 am

You’re exactly right pinkbunny92. These “kids” who are Limousine Liberals/ wannabe Libertarians, and who are thoroughly intimidated by Republicans are quick to project their cowardice on to the bravest President we’ve had in decades.

• July 15, 2012 at 9:59 am

• July 15, 2012 at 10:00 am

Chris Hayes is the most annoying liberal on tv. He is a fucking asshole!

• 164 ChristiMTL
      July 15, 2012 at 10:09 am

Jhay ‏@Cynatrah

What was Chris Hayes reason 4 putting this Bain liar on his show if he had no intention of challenging his tall tales a/ka/ LIES abt Romney?

17m ExtremeLiberal (Jim) ExtremeLiberal (Jim) ‏@ExtremeLiberal

Chris Hayes gushed about how much he learned from Conrad…which means he fell for it hook, line and sinker & the occupy woman right there.

• 165 Geeja
        July 15, 2012 at 10:30 am

I didn’t get that totally. I did not like the questions or the interview but Chris had a look on his face that said that he really did not believe what the guy was saying. He never said anything but his body language and expression spoke volumes. I am not a Chris fan but that was just an observation I made during the few minutes it took me to find the remote,

• July 15, 2012 at 10:49 am

Then he should have said something. I don’t watch these shows but I get the impression that these Progressive hosts are too wrapped up in being nice to ALL their guests and miss big opportunities to challenge these lies.

• 168 taiping1
      July 15, 2012 at 11:25 am

By Bain logic, bush’s name should be on all US official matters, post offices, etc. Just too complicated to make a change quickly!

• 169 pkayden
      July 15, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Chris obviously just wants to suck up to Conard so that he’ll come back to his show. No hard questions or challenges. Allowed Conard to change the subject to how Bain is a diversion because Obama is so bad, bad, bad for the economy. Way to go, Chris!

• 170 Lorraine
      July 15, 2012 at 1:59 pm

It was the stupidest show he has had and that’s not saying much. His show is a waste of space.

31. July 15, 2012 at 9:57 am

32. July 15, 2012 at 9:57 am

Chips,
    Ireland to support 2 billion euro stimulus package. Their ya go!

July 15, 2012 at 9:59 am

Good, let’s shine more light on the bain type of ‘economy’. As a businessman myself, I hate, absolutely hate, those who push money around all day along and ruin the genuine businessmen.

July 15, 2012 at 10:02 am

Hey TOD, the Obama 2012 TV Ad “Firms” will go down in history as one of the BEST political ads ever. It’s right up there with Reagan’s Morning in America, LBJ’s “Daisy” etc. Pundits and tech geeks alike are salivating at the sheer brilliance of the Ad. The ad now has over 500,000 views and 5,181 “Likes” and people are watching it over and over and over again. It’s only July people, it’s only July and Pres. Obama is wrecking Romney like no other.

Once again, for your viewing pleasure. :D

• July 15, 2012 at 10:33 am

But, the Sunday shows played it 0x!
      They are ignoring it! Why? I remember when McSame put out a Moses ad, it was on every channel/segment for a week!
      This ad, not so much!

35. 178 Linda
    July 15, 2012 at 10:03 am

Edward Conard, former Bain partner, considered Mitt only worthy of “franchise value” during 1999-2002, regardless of Mitt’s ownership of Bain at that time.

Mitt was just a name to trade on. Just like he is for the GOP now.

Mr. No Substance.

So basically they duped their investors ……?

36. July 15, 2012 at 10:04 am

I don’t watch Chris and I see some are unhappy with his show today but I saw this on twitter. Did the guy really do this on the show?

July 15, 2012 at 10:13 am

Yes, but he tried to explain it away as a technicality that is routinely done in business ventures – and Hayes just let him get away with this nonsense.

Secondly, everyone knows that Willard was CEO until 2002, so nothing new was revealed or confirmed there.

• 183 susanne
      July 15, 2012 at 4:02 pm

what does ‘legally’ mean, when it’s in quotes? is it a joke? a hedge? a wink? whatever it is, it’s disgusting.

37. July 15, 2012 at 10:10 am

38. July 15, 2012 at 10:16 am

39. 192 ChristiMTL
    July 15, 2012 at 10:17 am

It’s amazing that they call Romney’s secrecy about his taxes and Bain operations a distraction! but how many freaking months we heard about flag pins??? Always implying that the President wasn’t patriotic’ I’ll never forget the question from GS in a debate, a question he got from Hannity, it was disgusting………. right…exposing the ”patriotic” tax cheat and outsourcer is a distraction…..

• July 15, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Excellent comparison, Christi. It’s unpatriotic to NOT wear a flag pin, but completely patriotic to lie constantly, ship jobs overseas, shut American companies down, slash employee benefits, bank in the Caymans and Switzerland, lie on financial disclosures, etc. It infuriates me!

• 194 0388jojothecat
        July 15, 2012 at 3:55 pm

….provide 23 tax returns to become VP but present one tax return to the american people to consider to elect him president.

July 15, 2012 at 10:17 am

Holy shit Batman! Rahm Emanuel ripped Romney’s jugular off! Damn! He was freaking wonderful on This Week ABC. He dominated the whole discussion. George could hardly get his lies in.

• July 15, 2012 at 11:05 am

They still haven’t learned that Rahm just does not mess around. He is smart, he knows what’s going on, and he gets right to the point. Every single time!

41. 197 forus50
    July 15, 2012 at 10:18 am

How clever and ironic given the city name of St. Paul. :)

July 15, 2012 at 10:19 am

43. 201 ChristiMTL
    July 15, 2012 at 10:22 am

People are not happy with Chris Hayes

Sheryl Kaye ‏@sherylkaye

Interview by @ChrisLHayes @UpWithChris #uppers w Conrad the “Bain” Man was a pitiful exhibition. It went like a new campaign ad for Romney

1m Joel S Roberts Joel S Roberts ‏@jsroberts1960

@sherylkaye @ChrisLHayes @UpWithChris I repeat – setup!

44. 205 prettyfoot58
    July 15, 2012 at 10:22 am

Watching MHP…..

segment on Romney attendng the NAACP Convention and his bringing his “own” Blk Folks to the convention

This notion of Black Republicans has always been an oxymoron to me…it is like a condemmed man sharpening the blade of the executioner…

why are there people of color standing with Romney and the Republican Party…and their racist ideology…

• 206 amk for obama
      July 15, 2012 at 10:29 am

A BJ comment I liked – http://www.balloon-juice.com/2012/07/15/sunday-garden-chat-proof-of-life/#comment-3447836

Melissa Harris Perry is letting Mitt have it over his “free stuff” slur. Honestly, Mittens was invited in to speak and he shat on the carpet. Seamus would have had better manners.

• July 15, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I heard someone say it’s like chickens advertising for KFC.

• 208 pkayden
      July 15, 2012 at 1:26 pm

McCain only got 5% of the Black vote, and I’m sure that Romneybot 2.0 is going to get less than that.

My question is to White women: Why would you support a party which doesn’t feel you deserve access to reproductive rights (abortion, contraception), doesn’t believe that you deserve the same pay as men (equal pay act) and doesn’t believe you deserve protection from violence (violence against women act). The Repubs are pretty clear about how they feel about women’s rights. Romneybot 2.0 couldn’t even bring himself to condemn Limbaugh’s outrageous remarks about Sandra Fluke.

45. 209 Michele
    July 15, 2012 at 10:25 am

Bain and his lying to the MA ethics board for his eligibility for his Gub. campaign, make Mitt ineligible to run the Unites States of America…..

46. July 15, 2012 at 10:28 am

Why is McCain Better Than the People?

by BooMan
    Sun Jul 15th, 2012 at 12:47:24 AM EST

I am going to address this to the American people, whether they be conservatives or liberals or something in between. Back in April, the Washington Post reported that Mitt Romney had turned over twenty-three years of tax returns to John McCain’s vice-presidential team. It’s easy to do the math here. If you subtract twenty-three from 2008, you get 1985. Mitt Romney created Bain Capital in 1984, and 1985 was the first tax return that reflected his new job. It’s obvious that Romney turned over every record that pertained to Bain Capital. Now, why did he do that? And why did McCain’s team ask him to do that?

Romney turned the records for Bain Capital over to McCain because he is ambitious and he wanted to be selected as McCain’s running mate, and he knew McCain would never consider him for the job if he didn’t provide the records that had been requested. McCain wanted the records from Bain Capital because he wanted to know whether Mitt Romney had any vulnerabilities that might embarrass him and potentially cost him the chance to win the election and become president.

Now, why should we the people not operate with these same assumptions? Shouldn’t we, like McCain, refuse to consider Romney’s candidacy if he won’t show us his records? And shouldn’t we, like McCain, be worried that he’ll embarrass us and our country if it turns out that he has things in his record that he had good reason to hide?

July 15, 2012 at 10:30 am

• 213 ChristiMTL
      July 15, 2012 at 10:37 am

Amk, their new line now is…He ‘Retired Retroactively’….whatever the heck it means…..lies lies and more lies.

• 214 Ladyhawke
        July 15, 2012 at 10:46 am

I hope they keep pushing the “technicality” nonsense. it plays right into Romney’s dishonesty perfectly. He is constantly lying and twisting himself into to a pretzel create some desired impression. It’s more confirmation that he shouldn’t be anywhere near the Oval Office.

• 215 amk for obama
        July 15, 2012 at 10:50 am

48. 216 Ladyhawke
    July 15, 2012 at 10:37 am

LOLGOP ‏@LOLGOP

————————————

The Romney campaign just retroactively confirmed every fear conservatives had about nominating Mitt Romney.

————————————

49. July 15, 2012 at 10:40 am

Good old Bob Woodward, a shoutout to Kessler.
    What is going on this Morning? Why is every Pundit/Reporter sticking up for Bain!

50. 219 donna dem 4 obama
    July 15, 2012 at 10:40 am

Oh heck I double dare them ;)

• July 15, 2012 at 10:57 am

I double DOG dare them! :)

• 221 Ladyhawke
      July 15, 2012 at 11:03 am

It’s ironic that Romney decided to sing America The Beautiful a couple of days after President Obama belted out a few cords at the Apollo. Mitt’s always copying President Obama. But this time, his copying bit him in the arse.

• July 15, 2012 at 11:08 am

Yes, just as he thought he could go to the NAACP and rock it there like PBO. What’s next? I know…a trip to foreign country to try and plant the notion that he’ll be just as beloved overseas as PBO.

51. July 15, 2012 at 10:47 am

Is Bob Woodward a Republican?

July 15, 2012 at 10:48 am

July 15, 2012 at 10:53 am

The Obama team were fantastic on the Sunday shows. First Rahm went for the jugular and Cutter just beautifully slid in and completed the wonderful ripping. The whole conversation this morning on all shows was about Bain, Bain, Bain, Bain. Especially the network shows that a lot of people watch. Wow! Bravo team Obama.

July 15, 2012 at 10:55 am

July 15, 2012 at 10:56 am

July 15, 2012 at 10:58 am

This reeks of fucking desperation.

GREGORY: He was still financially linked to Bain. And of course, a lot his fortune is due to his time with Bain. Even when he was on leave, does he stand by the business decisions that were made by the firm he created?
    GILLESPIE: He actually retired retroactively at that point. He ended up not going back to the firm after his time in Salt Lake City. So he was actually retired from Bain.

GWB wasn’t responsible for the global meltdown that happened on his watch because he retired “retroactively”….Coffee came out my nose.

57. 241 cookemom
    July 15, 2012 at 10:59 am

Ho, ho, ho O, O, Os!!!!! What a great getting up day on TOD avenue again. Rahm was excellent on This Week, Durbin was a good surrogate as well on MTP. Who knew that the Olympics can be used in the same manner as the age old, ‘the dog ate my homework’ excuse. I’m going to try that next time……I was er, uh, busy running the washing machine or something.

July 15, 2012 at 11:03 am

” My political take today is why hasn’t McBookMeOnEverySundayShowPossibleDanno been visible since the fervor for Pittiful’s tax returns? After all, he’s seen 23 years of the returns. Seems he’d be a perfect guest today. hmmmmm”

You make me laugh everyday, cookemom! Thanks! Is pretty weird..the one guy that has standing orders every Sunday is nowhere to be found….

58. July 15, 2012 at 11:03 am

Yeah, but did you say this to your guest’s face?

July 15, 2012 at 11:06 am

Wonder if Romney will “retroactively” pay his taxes now?

July 15, 2012 at 11:11 am

61. 247 donna dem 4 obama
    July 15, 2012 at 11:13 am

Retroactively is trending big time on twitter

62. 248 criquet
    July 15, 2012 at 11:13 am

Must see:

July 15, 2012 at 11:18 am

As many of us have already noted here and on Twitter, John McCain is conspicuously absent from the usual Sunday Morning “Meet The Republicans” line up. What happened to him? Steve Schmidt has also disappeared from the MSNBainCapital political commentary? What happened to him?

• 250 Bill R.
      July 15, 2012 at 11:47 am

Because McCain hates Romney and wants him to lose.

• 251 Ladyhawke
      July 15, 2012 at 11:57 am

Wow, what an excellent observation. Where is the fair haired boy of the Sunday Shows? Usually when there is some important controversy brewing you will see Senator John McCain springing up like a rabbit on all of the Sunday Shows. I expected to see Senator McCain joined at the tonsils with David Gregory this morning. Filibustering and responding to softball questions (unchallenged). What’s the world coming to? Oh right, I just remembered there’s no love lost between McCain and Romney. So maybe that’s why McCain didn’t make skid marks to the studios this morning.

July 15, 2012 at 12:06 pm

As I (and others) have stated before, there seems to be a part of McCain that wants Romney to LOSE this election. McCain’s ego cannot stand the idea of Romney (whom he beat in the 2008 GOP primary) defeating PBO in 2012, something that McCain was unable to do in 2008.

64. July 15, 2012 at 11:19 am

Emanuel: Romney made Bain tenure his ‘calling card,’ should ‘stop whining’

By Meghashyam Mali – 07/15/12 10:21 AM ET

Former Obama White House chief-of-staff-turned Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel defended criticisms of Mitt Romney’s tenure at Bain Capital, saying the GOP candidate had made his work there a “calling card” of his campaign and should “stop whining.”

“Mitt Romney said Bain Capital is his calling card for why he should be president. He doesn’t talk about Massachusetts as governor. He doesn’t talk about any other piece,” said Emanuel on ABC’s “This Week.” “He says, ‘I created jobs at Bain Capital.’”

Democrats have hit Romney hard on his work at the private equity firm, questioning his role in helping companies shift jobs overseas and also on his personal offshore financial holdings.

The debate intensified last week after the Obama campaign raised questions over when exactly Romney left Bain. Romney has said he left in 1999 to oversee preparations for the Salt Lake City Olympics, but Securities and Exchange Commission filings show him listed as Bain’s CEO beyond that time. Democrats hope to tie Romney to layoffs by companies owned by Bain after 1999.

Emanuel on Sunday pointed to those SEC documents, which he said raised questions about how Romney would perform if elected president.

“You can’t — as president of the United States you can’t have a sign on your desk that says, “Gone fishing.” You can’t put that on that desk. It’s basically the buck stops there,” he said. “You can’t say to the SEC, ‘I was the CEO, chairman and president, but I’m not responsible. I’m not accountable.’ That’s what he likes you to think.”

Emanuel also defended Obama deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter who last week suggested that Romney might have committed a felony by misrepresenting his tenure at Bain to the Securities and Exchange Commission.

“Stephanie cited the law, and it’s very clear. Either the filing with the SEC is accurate and his personal financial disclosure is not honest, or that’s honest and the SEC isn’t, but both can’t be accurate,” said Emanuel. “Both cannot be accurate depicting a time where he said he was doing one thing or another. It’s just not possible.”

“Give it up about Stephanie. Don’t worry about that,” he continued. “What are you going to do when the Chinese leader says something to you or Putin says something to you? Going to whine it away? You cannot do that.

“As Mitt Romney said once to his own Republican colleagues, stop whining. I give him his own advice. Stop whining,” he concluded.

65. 254 cookemom
    July 15, 2012 at 11:23 am

Hat tip to the PBO campaign team! They identified Rmoney early on as the Pub nominee and went after him immediately, even before their primary was over. Who knows, they may had even purposely identified Mass. healthcare as the foundation for ACA way back when for the same reason. They elevated him, played with his ego, damn near anointed him as the ‘Pub leader, before the other candidates were done with their focus groups and donor commitments. Why, because the bigger your ego, the more your heads swells, which makes it easier to get in your head. PBO is in his head.

66. 255 criquet
    July 15, 2012 at 11:24 am

67. 256 itgurl_29
    July 15, 2012 at 11:26 am

This is genius! I’d love to see the campaign use this. People are already mocking the whole “retroactively retired” line. We need to start saying this.

68. 259 donna dem 4 obama
    July 15, 2012 at 11:27 am

BAM!!!

69. July 15, 2012 at 11:27 am

• 262 Ladyhawke
      July 15, 2012 at 11:43 am

WITH MITT ROMNEY IT’S “THE BUCK STOPS THERE”

Priceless, this had me out of my seat. Could you just hear Candy Crowly panicking because AXE was making the most salient point about this entire mess. She’s interrupting but bub but. The question is when is Mitt Romney going to take responsibility for his actions?

WITH PRESIDENT OBAMA “THE BUCK STOPS HERE”

• 263 amk for obama
      July 15, 2012 at 11:54 am

Love that axelrod didn’t allow candy, the tool to butt in. What was she trying to say ?

• 266 joanshaw
      July 15, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Good for Axel — he didn’t let Candy interrupt him!

July 15, 2012 at 11:40 am

Liberals are hilarious. Romney and his people tried to defend his dodginess about Bain “retroactively” Now the hashtag “retroactively” is trending in the U.S. Hahahaha.

• 268 utaustinliberal
      July 15, 2012 at 11:41 am

p.s. retroactively is now trending worldwide.

Non-U.S folks are finding it hilarious and some are getting in on the fun.

• 269 Ladyhawke
      July 15, 2012 at 11:46 am

These clowns are creating a whole new language. I hope someone will try to gather all of the new Romneyisms in one place.

71. 270 Lorraine
    July 15, 2012 at 11:40 am

Melissa Harris Perry’s panel is smoking today!!!! I’ve always absolutely LOVED Bo Franken, he has always been amazing to me. He has been kicking butt this morning. :-). The entire panel is rocking.

72. July 15, 2012 at 11:41 am

#Retroactively is trending #1 on Twitter – ha ha ha !!!

July 15, 2012 at 11:41 am

There you go. Thank you conrad.

July 15, 2012 at 11:45 am

Karl Rove haz a sad. Doesn’t like his tactics used against HIS guy….WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

No one told him that Dan Senor said this first….or he thinks we don’t know.

75. July 15, 2012 at 11:46 am

I just mowed my lawn, and I think I lost 20 LBS! I am drenched. I wonder if you can stroke out, mowing your lawn? I am pooped!

76. July 15, 2012 at 11:48 am

Romney’s Strategy is His Only Strategy

by BooMan
    Sun Jul 15th, 2012 at 11:04:58 AM EST

Much like the necessity of defending Sarah Palin destroyed every minimum standard of truth and decency that remained in the Republican Party, Mitt Romney’s utterly vacuous campaign is turning the nation’s Republican governors into blathering idiots. I don’t know what I’d say in their place, but that’s sort of the point, What can you say? If you offer some advice like maybe Romney could release his tax returns and put this controversy to bed, you’re forced to walk it back the next day. If you say that Romney should spell out his economic plans, you ignore that his economic plans poll so badly that the Democrats have decided that no one will believe them if they talk about them. If you suggest that Romney humanize himself by talking more about his personal life, you ignore that Romney is basically a straight-laced Clark Griswold who does weird things like strap a dog crate to the roof of his station wagon before he sets off on a lengthy vacation. If you tell him to defend his work at Bain Capital, you aren’t taking account of the fact that he’s had twenty years to try to do that as a candidate and has never succeeded.

One after another, the Republican governors assembled for their annual meeting in Virginia, told reporters that Romney needs to do this or that differently. But all of their advice was bad. Romney doesn’t talk about his personal life because he isn’t likable. He doesn’t talk about Bain Capital because no one likes a vulture capitalist and it only invites his opposition to pile on. He doesn’t talk about his economic plans because they’re less popular than a case of herpes.

77. 282 Bill R.
    July 15, 2012 at 11:50 am

Stephanie Cutter and Rahm Emmanuel are wonderful surrogates. They show how messaging is done! And after this morning #retroactively will be one of the big jokes of the campaign season courtesy of Ed Gillespie.

July 15, 2012 at 11:58 am

Here are some of the #retroactively tweets. Get in on the fun!

July 15, 2012 at 12:00 pm

• 285 yardarm756
      July 15, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Ed Gillespie. Now there’s a piece of work. A perfect example of what Native Americans called a “double-tongue”.

80. July 15, 2012 at 12:00 pm

It may not seem to be much of an issue, but it actually is because, once again, we don’t know the truth. In fact, his compensation during the 1999-2002 interval could have been significantly > $ 100K per year. The filing documents merely state “at least $ 100K” of ….. ‘free stuff’ … :)

• 287 yardarm756
      July 15, 2012 at 12:17 pm

G’day Lootenant. I think we call that “Chewed-up grass.”

July 15, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I would venture a guess and say that $100,000 was a “place holder” for him to come back…and to make it look as if Romney was running the show for the investors…after all, they had a reputation to keep! I bet you $10,000 (wink wink…joking…because I haven’t had that kind of money since the Wall St crooks sucked it out of me) that he made huge amounts of money over that $100,000….because he made money off all the Bain investments:) Which is the same reason that he can afford to be “unemployed” now…his shitload of money, is making a shitload of money.

81. July 15, 2012 at 12:03 pm

You guys have to follow @RetroActiveMitt. It’s hysterical:

82. July 15, 2012 at 12:04 pm

July 15, 2012 at 12:11 pm

LOL! Anthony Weiner plans to run for mayor of NYC :)

84. July 15, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Finally, thanks to Ed Gillespie, the physics of #Romneyverse has been explained ….

85. July 15, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Top Trends On Twitter right now. In that order.

#retroactively
    #MTP
    #uppers
    Retired Retroactively
    Ed Gillespie
    Stop Whining

July 15, 2012 at 12:16 pm

The GOP is huddled in a room somewhere with Karl Rove trying to come up with a way to get out of this bind that Romney has placed the whole party in!!!

• July 15, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I believe so too but I don’t blame Romney for all of this. The party knew. His returns and time at Bain came up during the primaries. Some how they thought it would be ignored in the general or that Romney could defend it or that Pres.Obama would drop it. They were wrong. They turned a blind eye to Mitt’s problems and they were wrong.

July 15, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Yes, I think the GOP (and the MSM) thought 2012 would be another 2010 where they could simply lie and distort and spin everything as “bad news for Obama” and the voters would simply lie down and bend to their wishes to elect Romney.

Well, Barack Obama is a well-known quantity and not some obscure House Rep that nobody has heard of or cares about. Secondly, this election is not going to be about “his failures” as the MSM/GOP would have liked, because thanks to outlets like Twitter, FB and Youtube, the American people are more savvy about the actual accomplishments of this administration along with the chronic and deliberate obstructionism of the GOP.

• 300 susanne
            July 15, 2012 at 4:45 pm

excellent analysis, hopefruit. i’m wondering if we’re not going to bless the 2010 elections for allowing the gop to clearly demonstrate their agenda, and also to lull the rethugs into thinking the dems are slipping.

July 15, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Quiet room? (bet not!!)

July 15, 2012 at 12:16 pm

87. July 15, 2012 at 12:19 pm

88. July 15, 2012 at 12:20 pm

89. 305 4morefor44
    July 15, 2012 at 12:23 pm

i retroactively bet you $10,000 that r-money did have SECs with that bainman.

90. 307 yardarm756
    July 15, 2012 at 12:27 pm

A bit of topic.

PLEASE do not miss this video. You may be as surprised AS I WAS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Many people may have forgotten about his time in the U.S. Army. He is the son of an Air Force General, and an accomplished Golden Gloves boxer, and he graduated from Pomona College with a BS. Degree, and then became a Rhodes Scholar from OxfordUniversity .

He joined the U.S. Army at the prompting of his father. After graduating from Officer Candidate School he attended and graduated from both Army Airborne and Ranger training in the very top of each class. He was selected for U. S. Army Special Forces Training but refused so that he could attend pilot training where he earned his wings, and became an accomplished U.S. Army helicopter (gun ship) pilot, and achieved the rank of Captain.

He was about to be promoted to the rank of Major, and appointed to teach at West Point when he resigned his commission from the Army to go into music and acting. You can tell in this video that his time in the military means a lot to him. I won’t give away who it is. You should just watch. I bet you will be surprised!

July 15, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Oh that’s easy – without looking at the video I know who it is, but I won’t say because I want to give others a chance to guess the correct the answer. :) :)

• 309 Nena20409
      July 15, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I was not able to watch the video. So who is this awesome person? Please do tell or please provide another link, so that I may be able to access it. Thank you.

• 314 purpleshoesla
      July 15, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I did not know this. His acceptance speech had me in tears. The things you can learn on TOD! Thanks for the link :smile:

• 315 yardarm756
        July 15, 2012 at 2:48 pm

It affected me the same way. Makes one wonder who else is out there. I’m sure there are others with similar stories.

91. July 15, 2012 at 12:30 pm

OMG!!

92. 319 Melanie
    July 15, 2012 at 12:32 pm

The always clever J-Smooth gives his take on Mitt Romney’s week:

• 320 Cha
      July 15, 2012 at 5:55 pm

That was freaking PRICELESS, Melanie! Mahalos! “Condi Rice as Smoke Pellet”! “Ya’ll are lookin’ raggedy”. He makes me laugh so much!

July 15, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Candy Crowley is a real hack. She basically spouts off GOP talking points about the Obama campaign running more than 60% negative ads, lagging Romney in fundraising, and PBO being under 50% approval without putting any of those “figures” in the proper context.

1. Romney campaign is running more than 90% negative ads.

2. As David Axelrod articulately stated, Romney’s “fundraising” is largely from a handful of multi-millionnaires and billionaires who are seeking to buy the election in exchanging for keeping their bush tax cuts and same market deregulation that caused the economic crisis in the first place. Obama’s fundraising is primarily grassroots from a wide range of ordinary Americans.

3. PBO has been at 50% or more in most of the recent polling – even with the skewed crosstabs that underestimate his support. Secondly, PBO is not running against past incumbents, he’s running against Mitt Romney who is highly disliked and not trusted by a sizable majority of the American electorate.

94. 322 anniebella
    July 15, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Seem to have been a very busy morning.

95. July 15, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Love the diversity in all of the Obama photos/videos. That’s the real America.

96. July 15, 2012 at 12:54 pm

97. July 15, 2012 at 1:01 pm

98. 336 cluny
    July 15, 2012 at 1:07 pm

The Republican big wigs deserve everything they get. They all went into a collective freakout when the Bain stuff was coming out about Mitt in the primaries (attacks on CAPITALISM they shrieked) and now they’re all upset that their candidate isn’t fighting back well enough. Well – they made it happen – eat it!

• 337 majiir
      July 15, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I agree, duny. They set themselves up for failure by embracing the far right wingnuts, failing to govern responsibly, and choosing politicians without substance. PBO is the real deal. They’ve always known this. This is the reason they’ve tried to destroy him and his presidency. They know he’s the opposite of all of the things they claim he is. Romney is running against the RW version of PBO and has had to learn a very important lesson–real people don’t act like the stereotypes that others have created.

• July 15, 2012 at 1:56 pm

An attack on RIGGED capitalism is entirely appropriate.

99. 339 Linda
    July 15, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I would like to thank New Gingrich for his short film

” When Mitt Romney came to Town” # retroactively….of course.

July 15, 2012 at 1:31 pm

MUST SEE!! Yes, President Obama, math and science IS important. This child is amazing….and yes, a 9 year old IS smarter than a Republican.

July 15, 2012 at 1:37 pm

****************Breaking**************** Drip, Drip, Drip continues (sorry for the link..actual doc that lists MR as a Managing Member in 2002! Opps!)

102. 348 Dudette
    July 15, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Hey Everybody! I just saw this PSA on ESPN for the Administration’s effort to reduce violence against women, 1 is 2 Many. First time I’d heard of this initiative and I’m really excited and grateful to see PBO and VPOTUS spearheading this. PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD!!!

———————————————

1 is 2 Many
    President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden join with Eli Manning, Jeremy Lin, Jimmy Rollins, Evan Longoria, David Beckham, Joe Torre and Andy Katz in this PSA to raise awareness about dating violence. Despite the significant progress made in reducing violence against women, young women continue to face the highest rates of dating violence and sexual assault. In the last year, one in 10 teens has reported being physically hurt on purpose by a boyfriend or girlfriend. One in five young women has been sexually assaulted while in college. In response to these alarming statistics, Vice President Biden launched the 1is2many campaign last year. This campaign focuses his longstanding commitment to reducing violence against women specifically on teens and young women ages 16-24. By targeting the importance of changing attitudes that lead to violence, and educating the public on the realities of abuse, this Administration is leading the way to stop violence against women before it begins. http://www.whitehouse.gov/1is2many

103. 350 socasweet
    July 15, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Since Mitt retired retroactively, did he repay the income paid to him from 1999 – 2002?

• 351 Michele
      July 15, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Did he pay taxes on the free money since he didn’t any work as he claims? WHO WANTS FREE STUFF- FUCKING MITT THE BAIN ASS HOLE…..

Did I tell you all how much I love Stephanie Cutter.. I swear I don’t want to be in a street fight with her because she would kick my ass…

Americans like myself love winners, fighters, and we despise people who try to insult our intellegience. I may not have all the educational credentials mitt the lying bastard has but I can read/and I know when some one is trying to jerk me around..

104. 352 anniebella
    July 15, 2012 at 1:53 pm

As I said I missed POTUS and FLOTUS this morning on CBS Sunday Morning. I was counting on someone to place the video here, but no one did so I searched till I found it and I watched it.

105. July 15, 2012 at 2:05 pm

July 15, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Oh boy..we can always count on Good ol’ Mark to try to change the subject, retroactively.

• July 15, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Not as bad as Halperins analysis-

This is shitty analysis for a Beltway insider. Double-talk!

• 359 Dudette
      July 15, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Agh!! I’m so sick of these bastards with the snarky need to call attention to the President playing golf.

Every President I’ve heard of since I was born has played golf. Is this President less entitled to enjoy some downtime from the tremendous stress of his job than any others? He’s not shirking his responsibilities. It’s the weekend; he’s outside getting exercise and playing golf. I expect him, no … demand that he take care of himself. That means doing whatever he needs to relax and relieve stress when appropriate, so he can be at his best on the job.

Get over it, punk! Yes, he’s the President and yes, he does stuff that other Presidents do, including relax and have fun (if one thinks of golfing as fun).

107. 360 anniebella
    July 15, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Good for POTUS, he played golf today.

108. 361 DDonon
    July 15, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Mitt’s problem is not rather to release his tax returns, because the tax returns are not the bigger issue. The bigger issue that Mitt has to deal with is the documents that list him as manager of Bain beyond 1999. I suspect within the last couple of days Mitt has met with his lawyers more than his political advisers. Chicago is pushing for Mitt to release his tax returns, but really they aren’t all that concerned with his taxes, what Team Chicago is doing is pushing Mitt ever so slightly into the direction of the SEC.

RSS OFA