Jul

Rise and Shine

Thanks LOL!

Washington Post: The political pressure on Mitt Romney to release more of his personal income tax returns is causing some divisions inside the GOP presidential candidate’s camp, according to a Republican strategist close to the campaign.

Although some advisers are arguing privately that Romney needs to release additional filings to curb the political fallout, others are resisting that suggestion, reflecting the candidate’s longtime reluctance to publicly disclose information about his personal finances.

….. Late Tuesday, after the interview with Romney, the editors of the National Review wrote an editorial arguing that the only question for Romney is “whether he releases more returns now, or later – after playing more defense on the issue and sustaining more hits.”

The editorial adds to a growing chorus of Romney allies urging him to make the additional information public …. Many Republicans say Romney’s refusal to release the tax returns is beginning to cost him politically.

More here

Paul Krugman: And so, predictably, Romney is accusing Obama of “attacking capitalism” and “dividing America” by raising questions about Bain and those hidden tax returns….

The special Romney twist – aside from the willful misrepresentation of what Obama actually said about business success — is Mitt’s desire to have it both ways. He’s proud of his business record and his success, he says, but at the same time wants us to believe that he had nothing to do with Bain’s actions over a three-year period when he was still its CEO, and is completely unwilling to let us see the tax returns that would tell us something about exactly how he achieved his current wealth. (There are two competing theories about his tax stonewalling. One is that he had one or more years of zero taxes. The other is that he actually made a lot of money in 2009, because he shorted the market. We may never know which is true.)

….. So Romney wants us to celebrate the success of people like him, even though their success doesn’t seem to have benefited ordinary families, and even though he stands for policies that would aggravate the gap between a fortunate few and everyone else. And then he accuses Obama of dividing America.

Full post here

11:50: Michelle Obama joins elected officials to announce public and private sector commitments for her Let’s Move! initiative in Pennsylvania

12:30: Jay Carney briefs the press

2:25: President Obama honors the 2012 NCAA Women’s Basketball Champion Baylor Bears

3:15: Michelle Obama is briefed on tornado recovery by local officials in Birmingham, Alabama and meets children affected by the storm

5:40 President Obama attends a campaign event at The Mandarin Oriental Hotel

6:00: Michelle Obama delivers remarks at a campaign fundraising event in Birmingham

Morning everyone ;-)

180 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

• 2 Roberta in MN
      July 18, 2012 at 7:34 am

Congrats LOL tried again.

• July 18, 2012 at 7:40 am

Moooooooooorning LOL, morning everyone.

July 18, 2012 at 8:09 am

Congratulations LOL and Roberta on #1!

G’morning Chips & TOD :)

• July 18, 2012 at 8:14 am

Look at you, early bird! Morning Hopefruit.

July 18, 2012 at 8:22 am

Yup!! Went to bed early last night, although was up some point before day break. Oh well… :)

• July 18, 2012 at 8:27 am

I’m going to try and copy your example Hopefruit – well, the first bit, up before daybreak doesn’t sound so lovely. I’m an incurable night owl, which means I’m good for nothing until late afternoon. :oops: Okay, I’m going to do a Hopefruit tonight.

July 18, 2012 at 8:34 am

LOL! Good luck my dear – tomorrow you’ll be as energized as PBO jumping on the stage to give a stump speech!

• July 18, 2012 at 8:40 am

Okay, if you hear a loud bang in the morning that’ll be me slapping the blog podium! :lol:

• July 18, 2012 at 8:43 am

Y’all are so funny! And love that VC is seeing the incalculable variations in snagging Firstplace from a timezone in the land far away (left coast, to quote LL) ;)

July 18, 2012 at 9:18 am

Good Morning, Pamela! :lol: Have yourself a good day! Yep, I’m learning a lot this trip away from home base. I’ll be humbler in my race to 1st when I return home. ;)

BTW, hosts here don’t know anything about Traders Joe, so no big deals for me. I did find the Kal stevia in a health food store and bought the largest ($35) container of the liquid as there were no large containers of the powder. The largest (around $15) didn’t seem very large to me.

• July 18, 2012 at 10:19 am

Good for you, sorry about no Trader Joe’s, maybe it is for the best! I did not know there is a liquid KAL stevia, I will look for it…. Let me know how you like it. I think you did well to buy it…. I’m more than certain you are having an interesting time of it, wish you were coming to Seattle, it’s really nice here!

1. 13 Roberta in MN
    July 18, 2012 at 7:34 am

Good Morning Chips 1st?

• July 18, 2012 at 7:41 am

Ooooooooh, so close Roberta!

Morning ;-)

• 15 Roberta in MN
        July 18, 2012 at 7:45 am

Morning Chips and Thank you, I’ll take them anytime. I remember that night. Going to be trained at the OFA-Rochester, MN tonight and start phone banking. It’s neat, the office is across the street from where I liver. :) . It should be interesting, never did this before.

• 17 Dakota
        July 18, 2012 at 11:43 am

That may be my all time favorite dress on the FLOTUS! She was simply stunning in it!

2. 18 LOL
    July 18, 2012 at 7:36 am

In case you missed it…The Dancing Horse

• July 18, 2012 at 7:38 am

You’re a gem LOL, added it to the post – it’s a hoooooooooooooot!!!!

• 20 ChristiMTL
        July 18, 2012 at 7:55 am

I wonder if they think Americans will be behind their dancing horse at the Olympics…..patriotism rah rah rah.

I’m not American but if I was, the only feelings I would have is pity for that horse….any animals that they own is not safe.

When the story came out that Ann Romney sold a drugged horse to make a profit, I was disgusted.

”The lawsuit was settle out of court, after an expert witness testified, “In my 38 years of practice, I have never come across a drug screen such as this where the horse has been administered so many different medications at the same time.”

38 years? that’s a LOT of years…..

The 77k tax break for their horse is disturbing to say the least and that’s only one year.

• 25 Roberta in MN
      July 18, 2012 at 7:42 am

That is just priceless. Thank you so much LOL

3. July 18, 2012 at 7:36 am

Well, at least I know I have to be early here………..that doesn’t usually happen. So GM to all the TODers from Chicago.

4. 30 ChristiMTL
    July 18, 2012 at 7:47 am

Morning everyone….

Christie to give keynote at GOP convention

I wonder if they will invite Palin because her ”fans” are pi****d

• July 18, 2012 at 8:07 am

I don’t think Christie and Palin can be in the same place at the same time. Their egos are both too big and they will wind up in a physical fight on the RNC stage. They might give Palin a last-minute invite just to avoid media chatter and keep her from raising hell to sabotage Willard.

• 32 susanne
        July 18, 2012 at 4:05 pm

oh, pleaseplease please can they have a physical fight on the rnc stage? pleeeeeeeeeease???!!

• July 18, 2012 at 11:54 am

If Christie’s giving the keynote, that rules him out as VP, doesn’t it? If I recall correctly, the VP gives a speech accepting the nomination – which isn’t called a keynote.

5. July 18, 2012 at 7:58 am

Good morning all. What a week it has been. I hope we continue to box Mitt into a corner, especially now as his own party is asking himto release his taxes.

• 35 ChristiMTL
      July 18, 2012 at 8:13 am

Morning africa….he won’t….there’s no way….he never did in the past and it was always an issue when he was running….it’s always secretive with him, like the way he destroyed his records after his term as governor…who the heck does that?

In 2002, that’s what he said:

”People who run for public office are exposed to extraordinary scrutiny and that’s as it should be, but there are some things that are not required for release, that are private, and I think my own income taxes, and my net worth and so forth are things I’d like to keep between myself and my family,” Romney said in May 2002, according to the Boston Herald.”

Both the sickening hypocrisy about it is that his camp demanded more tax returns from his opponent….

When they got called on it, here was their answer…..

That drew accusations of hypocrisy from editorial boards, but Fehrnstrom defended the campaign’s posture, saying that O’Brien was trying to hide important information from voters by declining to reveal her husband’s returns, while Romney was simply acting ON PRINCIPLE.

It will NEVER happen, it won’t show his tax returns.

• 36 theo67
        July 18, 2012 at 12:15 pm

There must be something wired in his brain that makes him actually believe that there’s a different set of rules for him than for everyone else. It’s not normal. Even his own father was a better man than he is.

• 37 Ladyhawke
      July 18, 2012 at 8:32 am

FIVE DELUSIONS ABOUT OUR BROKEN POLITICS

By Thomas E. Mann & Norman J. Ornstein

————————————-

Finding an American who does not think our politics are dysfunctional is much harder these days than finding Waldo. Approval of Congress hovers around 10 percent, limited, John McCain often jokes, to “paid staff and blood relatives.” Of course, Congress rarely enjoys a high approval rating, even when things are operating well. But to the two of us, with more than 42 years each of experience immersed in the corridors of Washington at both ends of Pennsylvania Avenue, this dysfunction is worse than we have ever seen it, and it is not limited to Capitol Hill. The partisan and ideological polarization from which we now suffer comes at a time when critical problems cry out for resolution, making for a particularly toxic mix.

It is not going to be easy to find structural fixes to our problems because many of them flow from an increasingly corrosive culture, not just from institutional breakdowns. We have many ideas for significant reforms and other changes, but before we can consider remedies for our political dysfunction, we need to rid ourselves of much seductive wishful thinking. Here are five bromides to avoid.

————————————————-

July 18, 2012 at 9:31 am

Very good article, Ladyhawke! Should be a must read….this is what reasoned thought sounds like:)

• 39 theo67
        July 18, 2012 at 12:22 pm

The thing is, if Mitt was to win now, after these racist attacks and offering no actual workable solutions – it would doom this country. Even if he was to propose all of President Obama’s solutions, just packaged up in a white man’s body, it would do irreparable harm. It’s the same effect of giving in to a bully, hostage-taker or terrorist. Once that door is opened, things are never the same again. The GOP have polluted the water so badly that there is no recovery for them under these circumstances. They’ve even gone so far as to invite Dick Cheney back to the “hallowed” halls of Congress – forgetting the immense damage that he’s done to this country, it’s military and people around the world. If Mitt was to win, and Congress cooperated with him, it would cement their vile tactics as successful tactics forever, and they’d never go back. If Mitt was to win, and Congress didn’t cooperate with him, then the dysfunction would grow. The GOP simply have to be crushed, if this country stands a chance of recovering from the toxicity under which it’s now labouring.

6. July 18, 2012 at 8:07 am

Good Morning TOD Family. I watch the video of SOS being attacked because of the crazy lies of Michelle Backman, Glen Beck and other wing nuts about the muslin brotherhood. Shame on them.

July 18, 2012 at 8:11 am
      July 18, 2012 at 8:12 am

HEADLINE: Obama proposes $1B for science, math teachers

//WASHINGTON — The Obama administration unveiled plans Wednesday to create an elite corps of master teachers, a $1 billion effort to boost U.S. students’ achievement in science, technology, engineering and math. The program to reward high-performing teachers with salary stipends is part of a long-term effort by President Barack Obama to encourage education in high-demand areas that hold the key to future economic growth — and to close the achievement gap between American students and their international peers.

Teachers selected for the Master Teacher Corps will be paid an additional $20,000 a year and must commit to participate multiple years. The goal is to create a multiplier effect in which expert educators share their knowledge and skills with other teachers, improving the quality of education for all students. //

July 18, 2012 at 9:32 am

! THAT will get some attention!

• 44 Betsy
        July 18, 2012 at 9:41 am

This is really great, but as a history teacher, I feel a bit left out. I consider knowing our past essential to avoiding problems in the future. Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it, right? The more I teach, the more I see us going in circles in a hurry to repeat the mistakes of the past. Sigh.

• 45 yardarm756
          July 18, 2012 at 11:01 am

It doesn’t seem to work for some in this country. Some folks shut down on their favorite parts and want to stay there.

• 46 theo67
          July 18, 2012 at 12:28 pm

One step at a time. The most urgent need is in STEM areas, because the country is falling behind in this area. History was one of my favourite subjects in school – so I completely understand the need for people to understand the past. But, the problem is hitting us in both directions (i.e. making the same mistakes and not being prepared for the future), and if we don’t get the future right, then we’ll be in huge trouble for generations to come.

• 47 veryslowwriter
          July 18, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Is there anyone — including whole countries — who has learned from another’s experience? I read a lot of history (it’s always been my favorite subject) and it seems that history always repeats itself. As Marx said, first as tragedy then as farce.
          History doesn’t seem to teach most of us very much. I remain somewhat optimistic but the history of the human race is not a cheerful one.

• July 18, 2012 at 11:40 am

I love everything about this President but his education policies don’t thrill me. I don’t have a problem with him giving money to science and math, although it seems as though reading is a basic skill required for people to do well in math and actually if you want to improve science and math education you have to start in early elementary before children are turned off for it. I do have a problem with and “elite corps of master teachers”. My guess is they will not be teachers from destitute urban and rural public school who are trying to teach with no money, no supplies, and all the forces that tear our society down against them. My guess is that this corps of elite teachers will be telling those folks what they should be doing. I will be very happy if this is not the case. I realize that the President’s hands are tied as to what he can do to help struggling schools because Republicans hold the budget strings and want to destroy public education (they disagree with the Founding Fathers on that one). However he always seems to frame education issues in terms of competition which I feel is counterproductive and against best educational research and practice.

• 49 theo67
          July 18, 2012 at 12:30 pm

The Administration has already done quite a bit towards early education, so I don’t think you have to be too worried. The thing is, there’s never enough money for education – and the GOP keep wanting to use it to cut more spending, never giving a second thought to the consequences.

Here’s a good summary of everything they’ve done so far: http://www.whitehouse.gov/issues/education

• July 18, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I don’t think giving the money is the problem. I realize the GOP’s goal is to defund public schools entirely. This money will help students that are already gifted in and interested in those areas – that’s good. But in order to have a populace that can make reasonable decisions (through voting etc.) on science issues (where an understanding of math is also critical) we have to deliver better education in science and math to every child, even though they may not turn out to be scientists or mathematicians. However my big qualm is that President Obama seems to regard education as a race where there are winners and losers. This is how his Race to the Top was structured. Maybe it’s just because he has the GOP constraining him and he wants to get the money out somehow and there has to be a way to decide who gets it. But most politicians have very little understanding about education and at least President Obama is clear that he values education as opposed to every politician on the GOP side and that is immense. I love and respect Pres. Obama in every role he plays and will follow him to the end. This is just one area that I have a disagreement.

• 51 theo67
              July 18, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Fair enough. I’m not sure I agree with you, but you would know more about this area than I would.

July 18, 2012 at 5:51 pm

//“elite corps of master teachers”//
          I hope you realize that the word “elite” is that of the media outlet and not the Obama administration? This is a classic example of EXACTLY how the media manipulates its readers…

//”My guess is they will not be teachers from destitute urban and rural public school who are trying to teach with no money, “//
          How do you come to that conclusion? Did the President or administration mention specifically where the teachers are coming from?

//”My guess is that this corps of elite teachers will be telling those folks what they should be doing.”/
          Again, how do you come to that conclusion? Based on the purposefully inciteful phrase used by the media, or based on some specific information you got from the administration about the program?

• July 18, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Well, based on the fact that urban and rural teachers in poverty stricken areas do not generally have the resources to be on the cutting edge of education. I’m not against the program I just wish it could have been formatted differently. I’d be happy if things turned out differently; if for example they highlighted early elementary teachers who are doing a smash-bang job of introducing their students to math and science in ways that help all their students understand and appreciate these subjects.

July 18, 2012 at 8:22 am

Morning Chips & TODville! :lol: :lol:
    Goodness gracious, the rules around here sure have changed! Rise & Shine up and running already? Oh, oh! It’s just dawned on me that I’m operating on the new time here while you guys are still operating on the old time.

Congrats LOL & Roberta! Today, I’m going to try my luck AGAIN at the Democratic office that it took me so many attempts to locate. It was closed yesterday because folks were heading to Austin to see the President, so I’m hoping to get some ‘live’ feedback on the experience today. They are supposed to open at 9am. Will share on my return.

July 18, 2012 at 8:23 am

It’s a HAPPY Wednesday Morning! We are alive! We are able to connect online! We are focused! We have the best and only choice for president! We have every reason to be HAPPY! :lol: :lol:

Have a HAPPY Wednesday , Everyone!

Wednesday – #CanMittMatchThis?
      Equal Rights; Taxes + whatever today’s ‘hot’ topic is

Also, don’t forget to remind your local OFA group and all of your personal contacts to feed the ‘tip jar’! #ADollarADayForOFA

• July 18, 2012 at 8:25 am

Well helloooooooooooooo VC, I haven’t managed to bump in to you in over a week, I’m keeping strange hours these days – everything should be back to semi-normal in about another week. Hope you’re doing well, best of luck at the Democratic office, looking forward to hearing how it went. ;-)

July 18, 2012 at 8:33 am

Morning, CC! Feels good to connect at last. Sure hope you are having fun and giving the body lots of chances to recharge itself, waterproof iPads notwithstanding. ;) ;) :lol: I have a little less than a week before I regain the reins in my life too, so we’ll probably be back to our own ideas of normal around the same time. I’m trying to decide if this was beautiful timing on both our parts, or if we ought to better coordinate our times next year. ;) ;) :grin:

• July 18, 2012 at 8:41 am

Spooky coordination, everyone will start to wonder if we’re one and the same person. Are we?

July 18, 2012 at 8:48 am

Close enough. Close enough…..except for YOUR wonderful sense of humour, smile, creativity, and leading-others-into-trouble expertise. I’d say twins, with me being the sober and restrained one. The one mother could rely on to soothe each ruckus you stirred up. :lol: :lol:

• 60 daisydem
        July 18, 2012 at 8:37 am

Good morning Chips and all TODers; any pics from San Antonio or Austin yesterday? The crowds, etc?

• July 18, 2012 at 8:40 am

Morning Daisy, I posted a few yesterday but there didn’t seem to be that many floating around.

• 62 daisydem
            July 18, 2012 at 9:00 am

I saw those; thanks. Just wondering if there were any of him greeting people outside the venues or at the airport, etc. My daughter lives in Austin; she did not go to see him this time as she just returned from a big conference in CA; did not know in time to get a ticket, and she is so, so busy with her Ph.D. work right now. She saw him on the campus in 2008 as candidate Obama; that event was touted as one of his most important and successful campaign appearances. It was supposed to be inside; they had to move it outside due to the interest level. The students turned out in droves; and went wild for him. My daughter (she is very petite and short) managed to worm her way through the crowd and was just feet from him; she did not get to meet him, but she felt she was up close and personal. Then last year or the year before when he spoke as President at the same venue he was at yesterday in Austin, she and her best friend (who works for a non-profit women’s organization closely aligned with Planned Parenthood) got tickets and went. She said (and another reason she could not go yesterday) that they had to get there SO EARLY … but it was worth it.

9. July 18, 2012 at 8:30 am

Good morning, TODville! How about some inspiration from our beloved President?

July 18, 2012 at 8:32 am
    July 18, 2012 at 8:39 am
    • 73 ChristiMTL
      July 18, 2012 at 8:43 am

Hey Hope, He knew exactly what he was doing….what a creep

• July 18, 2012 at 8:48 am

His point is: he’s pointless. Stfu, dumba**.

• 76 Bill R.
      July 18, 2012 at 8:56 am

Everyone in America should stop watering their lawns because their is a drought in the Midwest.

• 77 57andFemale
        July 18, 2012 at 9:55 am

In fact, we need to water some to keep all the lawns from turning into tinder. Jackasses.

Is Mitt cutting back on watering the lawns on his half dozen homes?

• 78 Pugeretto
        July 18, 2012 at 10:56 am

We received 4 whole minutes of rain this morning, around 8AM, I don’t water my lawn & would love to switch it all out for Buffalo Grass. Been watering trees I’ve planted the past few years for survival. People need to get over the lawn thing, and all it entails.

• 79 carla4obama
      July 18, 2012 at 9:07 am

Mark–There are people starving in nearly 2/3rds of the African Continent, did you eat breakfast today?

• July 18, 2012 at 9:28 am

His point is, it’s Obamas fault. No other President has had to put up with what this President has, huge Tornadoes, Floods renascent of Noah, Earthquakes and volcanoes, Greece and European crisis, Hostage situations, 2 wars, a Depression caused by a Republican President, and now a Drought that looks like The Dust Bowl reincarnated.
      It is unbelievable how much He has had to keep us all together!

July 18, 2012 at 9:43 am

Was that supposed to mean that the country is in a drought, so why the hell does the WH get to water the lawn????? This guy gets PAID?! Talk about a waste of money!

• 84 Cha
      July 18, 2012 at 4:26 pm

So the White House should stop watering the lawn because the Midwest is Dryer than a Global Climate Change BONE? Get a f**king Grip, Mark Troller.

12. 85 Ladyhawke
    July 18, 2012 at 8:40 am

‘IT’S EVEN WORSE THAN IT LOOKS’

How the American Constitutional System Collided With The New Politics of Extremism’

by Thomas E. Mann and Norman J. Ornstein

——————————————–

Their principal conclusion is unequivocal: Today’s Republicans in Congress behave like a parliamentary party in a British-style parliament, a winner-take-all system. But a parliamentary party — “ideologically polarized, internally unified, vehemently oppositional” — doesn’t work in a “separation-of-powers system that makes it extremely difficult for majorities to work their will.”

These Republicans “have become more loyal to party than to country,” the authors write, so “the political system has become grievously hobbled at a time when the country faces unusually serious problems and grave threats. . . . The country is squandering its economic future and putting itself at risk because of an inability to govern effectively.”

Today’s Republican Party has little in common even with Ronald Reagan’s GOP, or with earlier versions that believed in government. Instead it has become “an insurgent outlier — ideologically extreme; contemptuous of the inherited social and economic policy regime; scornful of compromise; unpersuaded by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition . . . all but declaring war on the government.”

————————————-

13. July 18, 2012 at 8:40 am

I can’t stand what the GOP is doing to our country by denying the FACTS and endangering our food and water supply.

PBO is going to meet with Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack this morning to discuss the federal response to the worst US drought in 50 years.

July 18, 2012 at 8:44 am

The GOP is getting away with this because the media is enabling them hand, tooth and nail. For e.g., Mark Knoller had to get a subtle dig at the President by “reporting” about the WH lawn being sprinkled, but nary a peep about what the GOP is doing!!

• 90 ChristiMTL
        July 18, 2012 at 8:54 am

I hope there’s going to be attack ads on the insane opposition of the Republicans in Congress…

The term : Gridlock in Washington is kind of vague I think…..it implies that both sides are responsible for it.

It’s not true…..

It’s easy for John Boehner and Cantor to show their ugly faces after each job reports and complain that the Senate is blocking their JOB BILLS.

It’s a travesty….there’s no job bills…….but that’s the message out there……

Also the AJA that they are blocking that would created millions of jobs………people are so uninformed it’s maddening.

• 91 criquet
        July 18, 2012 at 10:06 am

Loads of people who have irrigation systems use recycled water. Did Know it not Mark Knoller check whether it was re-cycled or collected rain water.
        He is a nit-picking note producer , not a journalist.

• July 18, 2012 at 8:52 am

Perhaps Knoller would like the WH sprinklers to water all the drought affected areas, because that is so practical. #fail

14. 93 Ladyhawke
    July 18, 2012 at 8:46 am

REPUBLICANS ARE THE PROBLEM

Let’s just say it: The Republicans are the problem.

By Thomas Mann and Norm Ornstein

——————————————————-

Our advice to the press: Don’t seek professional safety through the even-handed, unfiltered presentation of opposing views. Which politician is telling the truth? Who is taking hostages, at what risks and to what ends?

Also, stop lending legitimacy to Senate filibusters by treating a 60-vote hurdle as routine. The framers certainly didn’t intend it to be. Report individual senators’ abusive use of holds and identify every time the minority party uses a filibuster to kill a bill or nomination with majority support.

Look ahead to the likely consequences of voters’ choices in the November elections. How would the candidates govern? What could they accomplish? What differences can people expect from a unified Republican or Democratic government, or one divided between the parties?

In the end, while the press can make certain political choices understandable, it is up to voters to decide. If they can punish ideological extremism at the polls and look skeptically upon candidates who profess to reject all dialogue and bargaining with opponents, then an insurgent outlier party will have some impetus to return to the center. Otherwise, our politics will get worse before it gets better.

——————————————————

• 94 susanne
      July 18, 2012 at 4:19 pm

glad to see this question raised in wapo: ‘what differences can people expect from a unified republican or democratic government, or one divided between the parties?’

voters say hmmmm–yep. all rethugs means party time for the crazy rich. split means nothing gets done. all dems means we get to move forward to a thriving economy, a caring social contract, and an educated generation of youth.

it’s important for the country to recognize that we need the whole map to light up blue this year!

15. 95 Bill
    July 18, 2012 at 8:49 am

A writer from Salon appearing on the Bill Press Show just reported that Rep. Mike Rogers (R-MI) the Chairman of the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence has said Michele Bachmann is doing important work on the committee. Does anyone have any idea why the WH or State Department has not pushed back on Bachmann?

• 96 ChristiMTL
      July 18, 2012 at 8:57 am

What she did was treason…….now that we know that the protesters in Egypt got their ”information” from american blogs, Bachman’s remarks was mentioned when they were asked……sickening!……I don’t know how she can get away with this.

• 97 Linda
      July 18, 2012 at 9:20 am

oh Good Grief…

Mike Rogers is a former FBI agent.

16. July 18, 2012 at 8:52 am

We are now just 111 days to Election, November 6.

I’ll be posting periodic reminders of where we are on the timeline. Now is a good time to volunteer for OFA!

July 18, 2012 at 9:51 am

Now is a GREAT TIME to vounteer for OFA! We’re so busy kicking it into high gear. We need everyone to help as many or as few hours as you can spare. There is always something to do! The people you meet and the work you do for this campaign will stay with you forever, and to know that you did your part to share in the success, well…it’s priceless. Don’t hesitate. Don’t over think about it. Just DO IT! You won’t be sorry you did.

17. July 18, 2012 at 8:55 am

twitter is just so funny at times:

18. 103 Bill R.
    July 18, 2012 at 8:57 am
  19. 107 FiredUpInCa
    July 18, 2012 at 9:01 am

If I understand Team Mitt, they are all business success is due to the effort of the founder. Everyone else is a parasite. Why is Mitt dividing America?

20. 108 Bill R.
    July 18, 2012 at 9:04 am
  21. July 18, 2012 at 9:12 am

Good day TOD ….

22. 110 Ladyhawke
    July 18, 2012 at 9:15 am

Romney rejects GOP calls for more disclosure

By Steve Benen

—————————————

And yet, as of last night, Romney disagrees. He’s heard the calls from within his own party, but, at least for now, the presidential hopeful says he simply doesn’t care.

In an interview with the NBC affiliate in Pittsburgh late yesterday, Romney said Democrats would “look for anything they can find to distort, to twist, and to try and make negative,” so he feels he has no choice but to keep the materials hidden from voters.

Of course, by that logic, Romney shouldn’t give speeches or do interviews, either, since those rascally Democrats might try to distort, twist, and make negative the things he says out loud. This is not, in other words, much of an excuse for indefinite secrecy.

————————————–

• 111 Cha
      July 18, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Willard’s tax returns must show him for a lying piece of shit. Stupid chickenshit can’t have it all down there in black and white..so, stonewalling is his best $10,000 bet.

23. July 18, 2012 at 9:16 am

What the fuck is CBS news talking about? They have a poll that says that enthusiasm is up for Robney and down for the President.
    Nobody i call, or am associated with, says their not excited.
    Then, after giving us this bogus information, CBS news says, looks like Chicago will have to recalubrate!
    Bullshit!

• 113 ChristiMTL
      July 18, 2012 at 9:20 am

It’s ok, we can expect this kind of crap till November……we all know that corporate media is the GOP PR machine….. I don’t underestimate the power of social networks like Twitter, it is the media now…….it’s where the truth is and there’s millions working everyday sending the right information.

• 114 ChristiMTL
        July 18, 2012 at 9:22 am

Don’t forget that ”FIRMS” is viral already….over 1 million hits on Youtube a few days ago….

• 115 jackiegrumbacher
      July 18, 2012 at 9:21 am

That’s the result you get if you call only Republicans. Unless you know who they asked, it’s bogus. They wanted a “feel good about R-money” moment and they couldn’t find one, so they made it up.

• 116 ChristiMTL
        July 18, 2012 at 9:26 am

I sent a tweet yesterday that represent how I feel about corporate media……what disgust me the most is that they insult our intelligence everyday, they think we’re just Foxbots who can’t think for ourselves, analyze, reseach facts, etc……it’s the aspect I hate the most……

• 117 Bill
      July 18, 2012 at 9:21 am

The MSM is making itself more irrelevant everyday. I was thinking today that at one time I anticipated the Wahington Post editorial page each morning, and today I rarely bother looking at it.

July 18, 2012 at 9:23 am

I agree – this is some bullshit. CBS can take their “polls” and shove it where the sun don’t shine. We KNOW they’re full of it. Mark Knoller after stuffing his face with donuts, croissants, etc, is suddenly concerned about the WH Lawn sprinklers more than any thing else this morning.

• 119 ChristiMTL
        July 18, 2012 at 9:27 am

Hope, what would be their handle on Twitter? cbsnews? or is it the morning show?

• 120 carolyn
        July 18, 2012 at 9:28 am

The Chicago team should take advice from CBS???????!!!!! What are they smokin’?

• 121 Vicki
          July 18, 2012 at 10:05 am

NYTimes this am all “Romney this and Romney that.”

President Obama raised more $$$ in Texas in one day than any Democrat had ever done and spoke to large groups of enthusiastic supporters. Not to mention his pointing out that Texas is becoming more and more important and swing staty every day.

Not a picture and barely a mention of a great day for the President in Texas.

• July 18, 2012 at 9:40 am

And the ABC/WAPO polls says the Obama campaign is viewed more positively than the Romney campaign…….The MSM is something else.

• 123 57andFemale
      July 18, 2012 at 9:59 am

Only makes us work harder.

I would like to see this ‘poll’.

• 124 veryslowwriter
        July 18, 2012 at 1:40 pm

You can get any answer you want in a poll, depending on how you phrase the question. Don’t pay too close attention to polls. It is in the interests of the MSM to keep the “horse race” theme going. It’s a looooong campaign. (In Canada campaigns are six weeks long. Six weeks and it’s done.) Without the “Mitt’s up a point among dentists!” and “Obama’s down half a point among massage therapists, and up two points among Latvian-Americans” they’d have to talk about ISSUES.

• 125 criquet
      July 18, 2012 at 10:08 am

Depend on who they polled, doesn’t it.

24. July 18, 2012 at 9:19 am

Syrian Defense minister targeted and killed by a suicide bomber.
    Geeze!

25. 130 Ladyhawke
    July 18, 2012 at 9:28 am

Has ‘Attacking Success’ Made Us Poor?

By Jonathan Chait

——————————————-

First, we have the notion that Obama has “attacked success.” Has he? Has Obama said it’s bad for people to get rich? No, he has never said anything of the sort — indeed, in deference to the exquisite sensitivities of even many rich Democrats, he goes out of his way in virtually every speech to praise the rich and embrace their triumphs. (“We believe the free market is one of the greatest forces for progress in human history; that businesses are the engine of growth; that risk-takers and innovators should be rewarded.”)

Okay, so Obama hasn’t attacked success. But he has raised taxes on the rich, hasn’t he? Well, no, not really.

———————————————–

26. 131 japa21
    July 18, 2012 at 9:34 am

80 something or other?

I hate it when Rise and Shine always is posted during my drive to work.

Anyway, despite the heat and drought, I remain fully optimistic about our future. PBO will win reelection, the Dems will regain the House and keep the Senate, and in 2 weeks and 1 day I am going to San Francisco for a family reunion. All great things.

27. July 18, 2012 at 9:35 am

Quinnipiac is out with a new poll Wednesday showing Obama slaughtering Romney in New Jersey by double digits, 49 percent to 38 percent.

Spin that!

28. July 18, 2012 at 9:45 am

In honor of the First Lady’s visit to Birmingham ….

29. 139 ChristiMTL
    July 18, 2012 at 9:46 am

I tweeted yesterday to UT that I saw the ad ”FIRMS” at least 5 times in Canada yesterday…….we don’t get a lot of ads obviously but I’ve seen a couple of other ads from the Obama team in the past….not as often as FIRMS though.

Soooo what do I see this morning…..an attack ad on the President……first one I saw

30. 142 Ladyhawke
    July 18, 2012 at 9:54 am

VOTER ID LAWS ARE ROMNEY’S TICKET TO THE WHITE HOUSE

Voter ID Laws are Resurrecting the Spirit of Jim Crow

By Bob Cesca

—————————————-

By Bob Cesca: If President Obama loses in November, it won’t be Super PACs or Republican lies about his record that will defeat him. It won’t be fundraising or advertising or punditry. If President Obama loses, it will almost certainly be due to Jim Crow style voter suppression and disenfranchisement. And no one is really talking about it.

Specifically, I’m referring to the Republican plot to make voting nearly impossible for low-income, working class Americans, and, therefore, disenfranchising scores of Democratic voters. There are two concurrent policies in action here: Voter ID laws and voter registration purges.
    If Republicans can successfully prevent minority and working class citizens from voting, Mitt Romney will win. In a televised address, Pennsylvania state House Republican Leader Mike Turzai accidentally blurted out the truth when ballyhooing the passage of a Voter ID law there: “Voter ID that will allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania — done!”

———————————————–

Note: This is a must read. Another brilliant post from Bob Cesca. He nails it.

31. 145 Linda
    July 18, 2012 at 9:59 am

REPORT: Drudge Linked To Conspiracy Websites 184 Times In The Last Year

—-

Despite his support for paranoid conspiracy theorists, Drudge has received frequent praise from the media and political right. Mark Halperin, senior political analyst for Time Magazine and MSNBC, has called Drudge “the Walter Cronkite of his era,” advising “you can’t refresh Drudge too often.”

Politico co-founder John Harris recently called Drudge Report’s influence on the political debate “a real achievement.” During this year’s campaign, Mitt Romney singled out Drudge as one of his favorite websites, and posted an online video of himself reading the Drudge Report on his iPad.

32. 146 whatisworking
    July 18, 2012 at 10:07 am

Good Morning TODers

US Labor Department announces more than $20 million in grants to provide job training for more than 11,000 homeless veterans

33. 147 whatisworking
    July 18, 2012 at 10:08 am

Obamacare’s Medicaid expansion already covering a half-million Americans

34. 148 57andFemale
    July 18, 2012 at 10:09 am

Is it my computer, or is it twitter that just goes on ’tilt’ and is incapable of posting a tweet? Just keeps saying, ‘connecting’……… until I close it out entirely. Can’t refresh, can’t do anything unless I close it out. very annoying. I’m sure you’re all waiting with baited breath for my next 140-character tome…….

35. 150 whatisworking
    July 18, 2012 at 10:09 am

MyCare: Abby S. in Minneapolis, MN :: Insuring Young People

36. 151 whatisworking
    July 18, 2012 at 10:10 am

Oakland leads way as restorative justice techniques enter education mainstream

37. 152 LOL
    July 18, 2012 at 10:13 am

LMAO…Buzz/Mitt feed says Romney is taking of the mitts and will go through the Right Wing’s greatest hits of PBO’s oercieved socialism/gangsterism/drugism/blackism and other associated isms…

Best response I saw so far…The Kitchen Sink strategy in mid-July. Always a hallmark of a strong campaign. LMAO

• 153 criquet
      July 18, 2012 at 10:25 am

Yup and PBO’s campaign response will be really,as you know that’s all not true, debunked several times over and so desperate. By the way, where are the tax returns, the Board minutes of Bain from 1999-2002, the MA Gove records etc.

What gets me is these birther and other racist RWNJs say how America has the best of everything and yet by questioning the President’s birth certificate etc are also saying that the FBI ,CIA and all the Federal Gov’t Depatments (who I’m sure do background checks on all the candidates) are either incompetent or in a HUGE conspiracy with PBO even before he was President.
      Just come right out and say it, you hate him because he is African-American, you will feel better by being honest. No one will like you but I doubt many do now so it is a win win.

• 154 Debz
        July 18, 2012 at 10:55 am

And it’s only July. The fact that Romney’s campaign is going full out crazy, instead of leaving it to the super pac, just shows how desperate he is. I’m still waiting to see what else the O campaign will put out on Willard. They are going to make him totally lose it before the election, something I am looking forward to.

38. 155 Linda
    July 18, 2012 at 10:18 am

While the likes of Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) and Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R) vow to resist implementation of state-level insurance exchanges mandated under the Affordable Care Act, former Sen. Bill Frist (R-TN) is one notable Republican who endorses the provision.

In an editorial for The Week published Tuesday, Frist — who served as majority leader of the Senate from 2003 until 2007 — writes that both parties should support the insurance exchanges, noting that they were originally a “Republican idea.” A doctor, Frist says that he “sees little advantage” for Republican governors to refuse to set up exchanges in their own states and “default to the federally designed, one-size-fits-all exchange when they can design and run their own.”

• July 18, 2012 at 10:29 am

Well, Thank you, Dr. Frist.

July 18, 2012 at 10:30 am

Well, Frist the doctor should be listened to…but Republicans won’t because it’s not about doing the right thing for America. Never has been. It’s all about control and power. Frist would never be allowed NEAR the halls of congress anymore..he’s too logical and rational, and we can’t have that now, can we?

39. 159 Linda
    July 18, 2012 at 10:25 am

Quote of the Day: A Giant Hairball

“He’s a little bit like a giant hairball that the Republican Party cat is trying to cough up. They can’t swallow it and they can’t get rid of it.”

— Howard Fineman, editorial director of the AOL Huffington Post Media Group, on Mitt Romney.

40. 160 Ladyhawke
    July 18, 2012 at 10:26 am

EVERYBODY CHILL OUT. THE ROMNEY CAMPAIGNS GOT THIS.

Oliver Willis ‏@owillis

exclusive video of romney staffers plotting new, meaner, harder edged campaign http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de_P2a

===============================================

July 18, 2012 at 10:26 am

MUST READ AND PASS!!!!!! If you think that this is just what would happen if Romney were to be elected, think again. It ALREADY HAPPENS IN RED STATES…it will only get worse. You can take that to the bank.

• 162 susanne
      July 18, 2012 at 4:40 pm

this is a manifesto, and truly grips your innards. what would america look like if the rethugs were to take power in november? here it is, spelled out, and not to be forgotten.

42. 163 Bill
    July 18, 2012 at 10:31 am

Senator Ron Johnson (R-WI) told CNN that the US investing in green energy will turn the country into a USSR or a Cuba. Poor Russ Feingold.

• 164 Ladyhawke
      July 18, 2012 at 10:37 am

How is it possible that these “news” organizations (and I use that word advisedly) continue to pretend that the GOP is a credible opposition party. They are unhinged and deranged. They should be laughed at and run out of town on a rail. You can’t have a serious conversation about climate change with anyone in the Republican Party. What a freaking waste of time.

July 18, 2012 at 10:42 am

For business, by business…for profit…all the time.

July 18, 2012 at 10:59 am

According to company executives and independent analysts, hands-on oversight of subsidiary companies is a hallmark of both Bain and CRC. Romney’s campaign literature boasts about Bain taking exactly this sort of direct role in helping to turn around failing companies. “Over the life of an investment, they have a strong management team willing to participate,” Sheryl Skolnick, an analyst with CRT Capital, a leading institutional brokerage firm, says of Bain.

The CRC acquisition immediately made Bain owner of the largest collection of addiction treatment facilities in the nation. Unlike some Bain Capital acquisitions, which led to massive layoffs, the company’s approach with CRC was to boost revenues by gobbling up other treatment centers, raising fees, and expanding its client base through slick, aggressive marketing, while keeping staffing and other costs relatively low. But that rapid pace of acquisition couldn’t be sustained in the mostly small-scale drug treatment industry alone. So Bain Capital and CRC set their sights on an entirely new treatment arena: the multibillion-dollar “troubled teen” industry, a burgeoning field of mostly locally owned residential schools and wilderness programs then serving, nationwide, about 100,000 kids facing addiction or emotional or behavioral problems.

One of CRC’s first acquisitions under Bain ownership was the Aspen Education Group. Founded in 1998 with about six schools, Aspen Education had expanded to 30 troubled-teen and weight-loss programs by 2006, including Youth Care of Utah. With Bain’s backing, CRC purchased Aspen for nearly $300 million in the fall of 2006.

Less than a year later, Brendan Blum was dead.

44. July 18, 2012 at 10:48 am

Greenwald derisively and decisively gets told to go sit in the corner and stuff it ….

And … ASSad should be searching for that sewer pipe ….

45. 171 Ladyhawke
    July 18, 2012 at 10:50 am

Being Mitt Romney Means Never Having To Explain

Gene Lyons

————————————————-

Here’s the thing about privileged characters like Mitt Romney: they’ve never really been vetted, indeed rarely challenged.
    So when somebody actually calls his bluff, a guy like Romney tends to react badly—first with a clumsy, easily-refuted lie. Then with foot-stamping indignation that anybody’s allowed to question his word as a gentleman. My dear fellow, it’s simply not done.

The sheer political stupidity of the Romney campaign’s attempts to distance him from his career at Bain Capital can’t be overstated. Never mind that his entire case for the presidency rests upon the “job-creating” credentials his success at Bain supposedly give him.

The problem is that record is distinctly mixed. And Romney definitely doesn’t want to talk about it.

———————————————-

46. 172 ChristiMTL
    July 18, 2012 at 10:52 am

#AskDavidAxelrod is trending on Twitter…I checked and the only tweets I read were from RWNJ

From what I read earlier, the weed talk yesterday didn’t get much traction so now they’re moving to the cocaine use by the President when he was younger. You know, if you want to accuse Romney of a felony, what about the drug use……

Here an example of one of the tweet to Axe.

Kurt Schlichter ‏@KurtSchlichter

#AskDavidAxelrod When was the last time BHO did coke? Also, doesn’t that make him an actual felon? #Caring #Snorty

Bill Burton asked a good question….since they want to take that route….is his attack on the gay student and his impersonation of a police officer fair game?

He always say what’s good for the goose is good for the gander but I guess just one way. Another good point I read, if they THINK the SuperPac will go for it, it will shut them up about the drug use………I think it’s a very good point.

47. July 18, 2012 at 10:56 am

Well, TODers, it’s looking like the early moments of the fall of Tripoli … Damascus version …. from a friend:

“Am watching the Sky footage showing people on the streets in Damascus cheering- many draped in the Free Syria flag”

Let us all hope that that is the case …

48. 174 4morefor44
    July 18, 2012 at 11:15 am

I don’t think he will, but i really wish mittbot would pick chris christie for vp. it would be:

etch-a-sketch/hungry hippo 2012!!

49. 175 JER
    July 18, 2012 at 11:19 am
  50. July 18, 2012 at 11:22 am

For UT!! :)

51. 177 Ladyhawke
    July 18, 2012 at 11:23 am

Zandar ‏@ZandarVTS

—————————–

To recap, Mitt’s most visible spokesmen right now are Trump, Sununu and Arpaio. ‪

——————————–

52. 178 Claire
    July 18, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Dump Jenny Craig!

Jenny Craig, a Louisiana-born thoroughbred racing enthusiast and weight-loss guru, who recently hosted a fundraiser for Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney at her California mansion. In the past year, Craig has given $30,800 to the Republican National Committee, $2,000 to the Campaign to Defeat Barack Obama, $1,000 apiece to Michele Bachmann and Scott Brown, and $2,500 to Romney, according to OpenSecrets.org, a campaign–finance tracking site. She is one of Romney’s top bundlers, committed to bringing in as much as $250,000 for his campaign.