Jul

This and That

President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama look out at the Chicago skyline, June 15

President Obama and Vice President Biden talk with Zachary Atala, son of Dr. Anthony Atala, M.D., Director, Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine, in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building of the White House, June 5

First Lady Michelle Obama waits to greet President Barack Obama upon his arrival at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York, N.Y., June 14

President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama present a birthday cake to Assistant Usher Reggie Dickson outside the Usher’s Office of the White House, following a Presidential Medal of Freedom ceremony and dinner honoring President Shimon Peres of Israel, June 13

President Obama with Bo in the Oval Office, June 21

Brian Mosteller, Director of Oval Office Operations, sits with Bo in the Outer Oval Office, June 20 :cool:

A young boy salutes President Obama as he greets audience members following his remarks at the NALEO Conference in Orlando, Fla., June 22

President Obama talks to a group of kids from Lenora Academy in Snellville, Ga., during a stop at the Varsity, a restaurant in Atlanta, Ga., June 26

President Obama talks to kids during a stop at the Boys and Girls Clubs of Cleveland on Broadway Avenue in Cleveland, Ohio, June 14

President Obama talks on the phone with Prime Minister Mario Monti of Italy aboard Air Force One, June 6

All photos by Pete Souza – more here

President Obama greets 11-year-old Haley Klepper during a ceremony honoring the 2012 NCAA Women’s College Basketball Champion Baylor Bears in the East Room of the White House. The team’s so-called biggest fan, Klepper, who suffers from a rare Mitochondrial disease, attends all the games and has a reserved spot in the locker room

Thursday

10:45: President Obama departs the White House en route Joint Base Andrews

12:45: Arrives in Jacksonville, Florida

1:15: Delivers remarks at a campaign event

3:05: Attends a campaign event at Prime Osborn Convention Center

4:35: Departs Jacksonville en route West Palm Beach

5:35: Arrives at West Palm Beach

6:20: Delivers remarks at a campaign event

7:35: Attends a campaign event at Century Plaza

A crowd of residents wait to get tickets for Friday’s visit by Michelle Obama in Fredericksburg, Va.

Cagle

Hey everyone, I’m waaaaaaaaaay behind on the news today, will try to catch up tomorrow.

271 Responses to “This and That”

• July 18, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Wooooooooooooot, LunarSea!

• 3 LunarSea
        July 18, 2012 at 10:15 pm

awww well blow me down. Thanks so much ChipsChica.

What a great nite that was, Nov 6 2008 in Grant Park. I remember after they hugged you could see her mouth the words, ‘love you’ right before she walked away and he took the podium.

egads, I’m like a geek for all things Obamas. Is there a pill for that? Should I be worried?

Naaahhhhh!

• July 18, 2012 at 10:25 pm

And on November 7th, he called his first team in for meetings, got to work immediately, and hasn’t stopped since!

• July 18, 2012 at 10:26 pm

No, the election was Nov 4th, the team met the very next day. Right? This year it’s Novmber 6th which we will win!

• 6 LunarSea
              July 18, 2012 at 10:28 pm

LOL oh did I sleep through it? /jk

• July 18, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Pretty sure you were wide awake the whole time LunarSea! Did you get one of those amazing text thank you messages from (P)BO just after the election was called, and just before he went out on stage at Grant Park? It was amazing, and so appreciative…. I was able to capture it and have made it into a framed photo, time and date stamp and all! Total family heirloom!

• 9 pugeretto
              July 18, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Hey Pamela…YES, it was Nove 4th cuz I have an “I was there” button!

Hi Chips, you have outdone yourself. The top photo is outstanding, and loving Bo pictures, and all of it! Thanks!

1. 10 Allison
    July 18, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Good evening!

2. 15 LunarSea
    July 18, 2012 at 9:59 pm

okay that was too easy

3. 18 LunarSea
    July 18, 2012 at 10:00 pm

we have the same time stamp. let’s share first!

congrats Allison :lol:

4. 19 ChristiMTL
    July 18, 2012 at 10:01 pm

a new thread…yeaaa

5. July 18, 2012 at 10:02 pm

A new thread. Thank you, my poor IPad kept jumping up and down.

July 18, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Oooh happy to see you back Chips :)

Congrats LunarSea on #1! You’re on a roll today!!

7. 36 LunarSea
    July 18, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Great I was hoping for a vid of the Lady Bears at the WH. Thanks ChipsChica

July 18, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Chips & the Obama admin are so ‘smart’ ;) – they’ve arranged the President’s visit to Texas and the WH visit of the Baylor Bears for the exact time I am visiting the home of the Bears! Now when I go into the Democratic office tomorrow I can show those present the tape on TOD. I helped out a little bit there this morning and introduced the person in charge to the TOD site. It was totally ‘new’ to her. I hope she’ll be more excited to see the entire photo-op with her hometown team.

• 38 LunarSea
        July 18, 2012 at 10:20 pm

sweet. Nice that you found people there today. also. too.

• July 18, 2012 at 10:21 pm

It’s VCccccccCCCCCcccccCCCCCCCccc! Did all go well this morning?

July 18, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Yeah! I met the person in charge who was in alone today, and was able to give a helping hand with some poster work. Two other volunteers dropped in briefly. I stayed for about 3 hours; I suspect that most of the volunteers are at work that time of the morning. I’m going back tomorrow when a few more volunteers are expected.

July 18, 2012 at 10:42 pm

I also asked her about the President’s Austin visit, and she said though it was a tiring trip it was great, with about 1300 in attendance. I confess to bragging about TODville and the fact that I was able to follow the speech live. ;) In addition, I revisited another office** in the downtown area and introduced one of the ladies there to TOD. She promised to check it out more at home and to share it with her husband. [** They were the people who finally led me to the Dem office as it wasn't in the phone book.]

So, ‘K’ from the Dem office and ‘G’ from Center of Business Excellence, if you are reading here, “Welcome”! We here at the Obama Diary love our President and are intent on doing all we can to contribute to his re-election! Please visit us often to see what is really happening in the campaign across the country, check out the Obama for America site, and pay as little attention as possible to the poor job being done by the main stream media!

• 42 LunarSea
              July 18, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Yes, a hearty welcome to K and G. Take off your shoes and stay a while and y’all come back now, hear?

8. July 18, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Buzzfeed captioned some of those Flickr photos Meta posted earlier.

I found them very funny, and except for the final caption, they’re not anti-PBO.

Source:

18 Reinterpreted Photos From The White House Flickr Feedhttp://www.buzzfeed.com/nycsouthpaw/18 … via@buzzfeed
    6:09 PM – 18 Jul 12

9. 45 ChristiMTL
    July 18, 2012 at 10:04 pm

For a lot of people who were disgusted with the CBS/NYT poll,….This may be an explanation

”One factoid on the CBS/NYT poll: It skews old. 44% are 45-64. Among voters in ’08, that cohort was 37%. Under represents thirtysomethings.”

44% over 45 years old…..

Pretty good huh?

So desperate….next polling will be 60% over 45 the way it’s going.

July 18, 2012 at 10:14 pm

In addition to the age, they also weighted their sample by +5% GOP from June. Not to mention other stuff that we can’t really make sense of. Bottom line is that these antics are designed to change the narrative in Romney’s favor, confuse people and spread false information about how voters think about the candidates. #FAIL

• 47 ChristiMTL
      July 18, 2012 at 10:15 pm

CBS #POLL did every thing it could to boost Mitt numbers with 5% more GOP weighting & 7% more 45-64 year olds than June but Obama gains +2%

• 48 Betsy
        July 18, 2012 at 10:24 pm

They got a lot of push back on that and so it won’t go anywhere, for sure. If they want to at least maintain any semblance of credibility they won’t poll that way again. Idiots!

• 49 LunarSea
          July 18, 2012 at 10:31 pm

But you are correct, they ARE idiots (or think we all are) so they are guaranteed to try it again, credibility be damned.

• 50 carolyn
            July 18, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Regarding polls……seems to me the President has been looking very relaxed and calm recently. I wonder if their own internal polling is showing them good news. I remember from four years ago, their polling was accurate. They were right on the money for the election, when others missed it. I know they poll, and they do precise polling. Just a thought…….

• July 18, 2012 at 11:39 pm

10. July 18, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Hey TOD-ers HAPPY WEDNESDAY!!!

Magapie Soapbox time! I want the campaign or the DNC or SOMEONE to create a TV AD NOW that is a relentless video montage of the President’s endless statements extolling American Exceptionalism, American Excellence, the unprecedented impact on the World of our inventors, business people, scientists, artists, innovation , creativity, diversity, resilience, institutions of higher education, our drive, historic global leadership and benevolence, etc., etc. I mean they would struggle to pick the best statements from so many the Presdint has consistently made about the greatness of our country and democracy. THEN, briefly interspersed throughout would be images of douche rethugs and their surrogates with their flabby, pasty, glowering selves LYING that the President is anti-American. Ok, that’s ALL I WANT!!! (Besides a LANDSLIDE in NOVEMBER!!!!)

11. 57 a4alice
    July 18, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Oh my gosh you guys – we just had an AWESOME kick off for Women for Obama in St Paul MN. Lilly Ledbetter came to speak to us and then we all phone banked for one page. We’re going to be doing a lot of women talking to women about how important it is that we re-elect President Obama! w00t!

12. July 18, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Hi All, I was watching Jennifer Granholm’s show tonight and the person from the green party was on. She acted like there was minimal difference between Romney and Obama. She was saying that the trade agreements were NAFTA on steriods. Can anyone explain to me where that came from? I know our President put protections in these agreements to protect the American worker. Also, Granholm brought up her fear that the Green party candidate could throw support to Romney, like Nader did. Thanks in advance for explaining.

July 18, 2012 at 10:32 pm

This is laughable..I guess Granholm probably feels she’s not in the spotlight enough, and like many other pundits, feel they have to take cheap shots or not so subtle digs at the President to make themselves feel relevant.

If what you say is accurate, then Granholm is concern trolling and pandering to Naderites. I didn’t see the show you’re referring to, but I can tell you that the stuff you mentioned she said are nothing but empty left-wing talking points, not based in fact but pushed by speculation, disinformation, emotional speculation and just plain disingenuity. And anyone who brings up Nader/Green Party is pandering to the Naderites out there who are never and were never PBO supporters. So let them vote for Romney if they want. I doubt that PBO is trying to court them.

• July 18, 2012 at 10:38 pm

The woman running on the Green Party ticket was the one making these points. Granholm looked like she was getting pissed off by what the woman was saying; she kept trying to insert comments, but the woman went on and on. This woman ran against Romney in 2002 in MA representing the Green Party. I don’t usually hear this kind of trash on her show. She’s always a strong supporter of the President.

• 81 LunarSea
          July 18, 2012 at 10:43 pm

“She’s always a strong supporter of the President.” <—my sentiments exactly, thank you

July 18, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Okay then I take back what I said about Granholm because honestly I found it hard to believe that she actually said that. Granholm is not very assertive I’ve noticed and she’s a poor DEM surrogate to match wits against an aggressive Naderite or GOPer. And as for the “Green Party,” they never supported PBO, and probably voted for McCain in 2004, so let them vote for Willard and see just how much he does for them.

• 83 nathkatun7
            July 19, 2012 at 12:19 am

I think Granholm has been a strong supporter of the President. What I don’t understand is why is she giving media exposure to a person who is advocating nonsense that there is no difference between Obama and Romney. Only privileged people can say that. Nadar, who by the way is a millionaire, gave us George W. Bush by arguing that there was no difference between Al Gore and George W. Bush. Guess who paid the price? Certainly not Ralph Nader. Rather, it was the poor and the middle class who paid the price. I think I can say this, with a great deal of confidence, that there is one in a trillion chances that a candidate for the Green party will be elected president of the United States in 2012. So I am not sure what the Green/Naderites hope to achieve. The reasoning that if you elect an extreme right wing Republican would result in the vast majority of Americans eventually supporting the extreme left has no basis in reality. It’s certainly not supported by any evidence since the formation of the Green party. Whether we like it or not, the majority of Americans are centrist pragmatists. Even the glorified American Revolution, which led to the establishment of the United States, was led by pragmatists. The U.S. Constitution –tea baggers notwithstanding– with all it’s compromises, supports my contention.

• 84 LunarSea
      July 18, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I didn’t see it, but she’s been a pretty good advocate. And I agree with her fear. That shit with Nader was real and really annoying. Lived it. We must be diligent to not allow it to get life.

• July 19, 2012 at 2:29 am

The thing is – if Americans want to be free to go to other countries and settle, work, buy property, start businesses, etc., then why is there so much outrage over trade agreements? People, goods and jobs come here, and vice versa. This resistance to trade agreements always confounds me. Especially when one thinks of all the American oil companies and mining companies that have drilling rights in other countries. As Romney says, “what sauce for the goose, is sauce for the gander” -( and hopefully, that’s the last time I’ll quote Romney…).

That said, there’s no doubt that President Obama safeguarded American interests in these trade deals; as evidenced by his refusal to sign the Korean trade deal until there was equity in the deal.

July 18, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Someone posted earlier on Twitter that they waited 2 hrs in line to get tickets to PBO’s speech near Orlando FL. No one is waiting 2 minutes to get tickets for Willards’ stump speech, yet CBS wants me to believe that enthusiasm for Willard is up while the same for PBO is down. Yeah, keep on trying CBS…

• 87 ChristiMTL
      July 18, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I know! they REALLY think we’re stupid……..so Hope do you think Morning Joe will ignore this poll like they did with Pew? lol….not a chance!

• 88 LunarSea
      July 18, 2012 at 10:41 pm

I keep thinking of the Willard (read that Rat) event on a rainy day where the attendance was so sparce and all the newstainers were offering the excuse that it was rainy, blah blah blah ( <—that's what it sound like anyway) and then you have this pouring rain and lines stretching forever to see PBO speak, or the one in the rain the other day where people STOOD to hear him in the pouring rain….HA!

Robme's toast. We have to concentrate on voter turnout and down ticket candidates to flip the house and get a wider margin in the senate.

• July 18, 2012 at 11:37 pm

One of the MSNBC programs showed Willard today — raving like a madman. The audience arrayed behind him was clapping. One little boy was clapping — and yawning greatly. LOL!

• 90 nathkatun7
      July 19, 2012 at 12:39 am

Look, polls in July don’t mean Sh***t to me. To cite one example: In July of 1988, MA Governor, Michael Dukakis, was leading then VP G. H. W. Bush in the polls. Guess who won? Bush. The Media are trying to create news rather than report the news; which explains their obsession with the polls. For me, I will start paying attention to legitimate polls in October, or at the earliest in late September. July polls that say Romney is ahead or the President is ahead must all be taken with a grain of salt. They are all primarily intended to serve the media narrative de jour!

• 91 prettyfoot58
        July 19, 2012 at 6:34 am

I try not to pay too much attention to polls…i think that point of polls is to sway the misinformed as well as the uninformed…

14. 92 Ladyhawke
    July 18, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Romney’s Shadow Years

Mitt wants to make his departure for the Olympics a clean break from his business life — but it’s not that simple

By DAVID S. BERNSTEIN | July 18, 2012

—————————————

With just six weeks to go before the Republican National Convention, Mitt Romney’s campaign has bogged down over the seemingly insignificant minutia of how to precisely define the leave of absence he took from Bain Capital, while he ran the Winter Olympics from 1999 to 2002.

It was predictable that this issue would arise — it has cropped up periodically virtually from the moment Romney returned from Salt Lake City in 2002, to run for governor of Massachusetts.

What may seem surprising is the intensity with which the Obama campaign is pressing its side of the argument: that Romney is responsible for Bain’s actions during those years. Equally noteworthy is the tenacity with which the Romney campaign is fighting back. Romney even submitted himself to five network-television interviews this past Friday, in a mostly unsuccessful attempt to quell the dispute.

The battle over these Bain “Shadow Years” looks especially odd, since the basic facts are not in much dispute.

———————————————————

A very thorough and long write-up.

• 93 susanne
      July 18, 2012 at 10:41 pm

what’s truly hilarious about this is that r’money had been quoting numbers of jobs he created as a businessman, until he had to backpedal and retroactively disclaim the years at bain when most of those jobs were created. he was basing his presidential bid on his ability, as a businessman, to create jobs. but, oops, can’t use that now.

plus, of course, the lying, and the fancy financial dancing, and the taxes.

• 94 LunarSea
        July 18, 2012 at 10:45 pm

sucker’s a victim of Ali’s ‘rope a dope’ revived by PBO. He dances like a butterfly and stings like a bee.

• July 18, 2012 at 11:40 pm

The IMAGE on that first page is GREAT!

15. 96 ChristiMTL
    July 18, 2012 at 10:28 pm

NBC and CNN take a spin in the Fox News Cycle, running with deceptively edited comments made by Obama

16. 98 JER
    July 18, 2012 at 10:29 pm

A friend of mine received an automated robo poll call a few days ago. It asked her opinion of President Obama. When she tried to enter a positive response, it would not accept the positive response. So maybe something is wrong with the polling.

17. 105 Ladyhawke
    July 18, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Romney Agrees With Obama: Government Does ‘Help You In A Business’

By Adam Peck

————————————————–

But during a campaign appearance in Ohio on Wednesday, Mitt Romney misquoted Obama, before agreeing that tax payer-funded programs help all American businesses succeed:

ROMNEY: I know that you recognize a lot of people help you in a business. Perhaps the bank, the investors. There is no question your mom and dad, your school teachers. The people who provide roads, the fire, the police. A lot of people help. But let me ask you this. Did you build your business? If you did, raise your hand. Take that Mr. President! This is what’s happening in this country. These people are entrepreneurs.

————————————————–

• 106 LunarSea
      July 18, 2012 at 10:47 pm

male Palin

• 107 Ladyhawke
      July 18, 2012 at 10:57 pm

REPORT: Fox News Spends Two-Plus Hours Distorting Obama’s Small Business Comments

By Media Matters

———————————-

Over two days, Fox News spent 42 segments and more than two hours of airtime manufacturing a scandal by deceptively editing comments President Obama made at a campaign appearance in Virginia.

On July 13, Obama made the unremarkable observation that business owners do not achieve success in a vacuum, but that public infrastructure – such as roads, schools, and fire departments – create a community that supports businesses:
      Media conservatives have distorted those comments to accuse the president of expressing hostility toward business.

————————————-

• 108 criquet
        July 18, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Now CNN and NBC have picked this up and discussing the edited comments taken from FOX as if PBO really said them.

I think the Obama campaign needs to deal with this.

• 109 Ladyhawke
          July 18, 2012 at 11:37 pm

I sent a note to the Truth Team. I would love to see a web ad ridiculing the fact that Mitt Romney takes President Obama’s words out of context and then proceeds to agree with the basic point PBO was making before Mitt Romney took his words out of context. There is something seriously wrong with Mitt Romney. Watching a few clips of his speech today he sounds hysterical. I think he is about to snap. He’s not making any sense at all. WTF, he’s now trying to run against President Obama when he was in high school?? And his campaign is trying to rehash outlandish rumors from 2008? Is that all he’s got?? And still no details about what he would do. Just vote for him because President Obama can’t do anything right.

Bottom line, Mitt Romney and the Republican Party have never wanted to run against the real President Obama. His record of accomplishments even with their obstructing and sabotaging is enormous. So they have been reduced to creating the President Obama they wish they were running against.

18. 111 Me4obama
    July 18, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Hopefruit, I don’t remember if it was you wondering where Grandpa McCain was during the Robme tax issues, now expect him to be on all sunday shows talking about Huma to change the subject from taxes.

19. July 18, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Added some of those ridiculously gorgeous Pete Souza photos to the thread.

20. 118 a4alice
    July 18, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Chips! That B&W photo you just posted of PBO – WOW you gotta do something with that. That’s just begging to be put together with a catchy phrase – somethin’!

21. 121 Cha
    July 18, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Ask these people and all the people President Obama has mingled with over the years if Sununu’s right and “PObama is un-american” or does Sununu have his head up his craven ass?

22. 122 lisalovesobama
    July 18, 2012 at 10:52 pm

#OFFTHECLIFF!!!!!! Jump of the mofoing cliff, you pansy ass Democrats! Jump, jump, jump!!!

• 123 lisalovesobama
      July 18, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I’m talking about Dems in congress in relation to the huge cuts in defense and spending. Lawry said that if they let the fiscal cliff happen, then in a few days, they can write a bill that reinstates the bush tax cuts for everyone except the top tax brackets!! This sounds good to me, now if only Dems have the courage to do so.

23. 126 anniebella
    July 18, 2012 at 10:55 pm

My favorite pictures, the one of POTUS and FLOTUS looking at the Chicago skyline, the one of the little boy saluting POTUS, the one of POTUS and FLOTUS giving the assistant usher a birthday cake, just shows what kind hearted folks the Obamas are, and of course anything of Bo.

• 127 veryslowwriter
      July 19, 2012 at 2:41 am

In the picture of Bo with PBO, Bo is clearly saying “Scratch a little lower please…no, down a bit…. left side…ok, that’s the spot.”

• 128 pinkbunny92
      July 19, 2012 at 8:50 am

OMG – that was MY ABSOLUTE favorite too!!! So romantic and the chicago skyline never looked more beautiful!

24. 129 ChristiMTL
    July 18, 2012 at 10:58 pm

I don’t agree with this at all!

DNC apologizes for and pulls ad featuring Ann Romney’s horse, which she uses to treat multiple sclerosis

July 18, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Neither do I but the ad was seen, and folks got the message loud and clear.

Mitt is dancing around the issue of his tax returns, his position at Bain and his offshore accounts. The media wants the DNC apology to be the news. We won’t let it.

• 131 ChristiMTL
        July 18, 2012 at 11:01 pm

It is wrong to apologize to them in any way! Did he apologize for using the word ”foreign” about 10 times in his speech? Their birther route…..

July 18, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I agree with you that there was no reason for an apology. But I get that the DNC, knowing that the media is already on the GOP’s side, will blow this up and make it into something that it isn’t, distracting from the issue at hand. Tweety was already complaining about it on his show today.
          They issued the apology and now they can move on. Horses or not, at the end of the day, It’s still about Mitt Romney and his tax returns.

• 133 ChristiMTL
            July 18, 2012 at 11:13 pm

You apologize when you do something wrong….it’s a fake outrage and they know it…..like when she pretended to be so offended by Hillary whatshername comments and said a few days later that it was her best birthday gift….

July 18, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Ann Romney’s name wasn’t even mention.

July 18, 2012 at 11:17 pm

And what happened then? It backfired on the Romneys. Ann Romney is not popular or well-liked. Even Sarah Palin was better-liked when she first came on the scene.
              Where Miss Ann is concerned, I’m not too worried. If the media is seen as overprotective of her and her sensibilities (which they are), it will turn folks against her even more.

• July 18, 2012 at 11:44 pm

It is CLASSY to apologize in this context — PBO is a gentlelman. I appreciate the choice. And it was a choice.

• July 18, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Whoops. I’ve got my iPad in my lap….. PBO would not want to offend a woman with a debilitating disease.

But don’t be fooled. This man can be as tough as nails.

• 138 LunarSea
          July 18, 2012 at 11:19 pm

I agree.

• July 18, 2012 at 11:40 pm

• 140 ChristiMTL
      July 18, 2012 at 11:00 pm

What is their handle on twitter?…is it just DNC?…….this is wrong! It wasn’t an attack on Ann Romney…it’s so ridiculous

• 141 lisalovesobama
      July 18, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Seriously? There wasn’t even any pushback, so they wasted the money they used for the ad? :roll: if they were this sensitive about the ad, why release it in the first place? And why bring the cosmetic surgery reject’s name into it?

• July 18, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Dems cave again. Gees. Grow some.

July 18, 2012 at 11:20 pm

What you perceive as caving, I see as simply getting a potential distraction out of the way to focus on the real issue, which is Romney tax returns. Like the Hilary Rosen nontroversy, it didn’t hurt Obama but actually made things worse for Romney and Ms. Ann with women.

July 18, 2012 at 11:14 pm

The dancing horse help her MS how. I am not trying to be funny, but if anyone know how it helps her please explain it to me.

• July 18, 2012 at 11:34 pm

interacting with horses (as well as other animals and humans) can be very therapeutic – psychologically, emotionally, and physically. But an extremely expensive dancing horse is not a requirement. It is a luxury. Nothing wrong witih it. But it’s a luxury few can afford. And it contasts powerfully with the ethics and morals of refusing health care for the poorest among us.

And there’s just something about a pretty, prancing horse that is so metaphoric of Mitt’s lifestyle and attitude.

• 148 theo67
          July 19, 2012 at 3:04 am

Don’t forget that Michelle Obama’s father had MS, walked with two canes, and got up one or two hours earlier than everyone else just to get dressed to go to WORK every single day – with dignity. No dancing horse. Just grit. And dignity. And serving as an example for his kids.

• July 18, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Miss Anne is off limits. Even when its just her prancing horse. Michelle Obama? crickets

July 18, 2012 at 11:21 pm

But they were talking about the dancing horse, Ann Romney is not a horse. I will tell you guys this, I am rooting for anyone else dancing horse in the Olympics, I will not be a loyal American when it comes to Mitt and Ann dancing horse. Unless there is another American I can root for.

• July 18, 2012 at 11:26 pm

The logic goes like this: Its Ann’s horse so DNC was attacking Ann. I had a feeling some folks on right would be vocal about this. Its silly, I know.

• 152 lisalovesobama
        July 18, 2012 at 11:22 pm

The way she runs her fool mouth, she certainly doesn’t act like she’s off limits. Besides, the ad wasn’t about her. :roll: but I guess they wanted to take this victim talking point off the table before Petunia got the chance to start crying like the little %i*ch he is.

• 155 vitaminlover
        July 19, 2012 at 3:15 am

They had better lay OFF of First lady Obama. Period.

• 156 susanne
      July 18, 2012 at 11:18 pm

it was a great ad–now folks who haven’t seen it will want to, and they can discuss whether it’s about miss ann, or about her husband’s dancing around the issues. maybe another rat trap for the r’money campaign.

25. 157 lisalovesobama
    July 18, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Check out the presidential nooty in pic # 8………. Heheheheheheehhehehehhehehehhehehehehehehhehehehhehehehhehehehhehehhe!!!!
    :Groucho Marx eyebrow wiggle: ——hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehhehe!!!! :mrgreen:

26. 159 proudmemberofglobalzero
    July 18, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Just got home from work. In line at grocery store was a reporter for the news here in Palm Beach County Florida. She and team are very excited about PBO trip down here. Please do not believe all the negative polls from FL. PBO is well loved across this sorry ass state. She has been all over and she said it is showing people more excited than they were in 2008

27. 162 Lorraine
    July 18, 2012 at 11:12 pm

RIchard and Shrumie are on Ed’s Show!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOWWWWW!!!!!

• July 18, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Yes! Back in hotel room and watching Ed. Looking forward to Wayne Powell.

The play I saw at the Barter tonight was amazing. Alonzo Fields, chief butler for Hoover, FDR and Truman. He retired shortly after Eisenhower came in. Couple items of interest: Truman was very much like PO…….his outlook and how he treated people, regardless of person’s station in life and his main thing was FAIRNESS TO EVERYONE. Nixon: The night of the inauguration wad his first experience with him and he did not like him…..found him snippy and snooty.

28. 164 carolyn
    July 18, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Just saw on my local ABC affiliate that Ann is going to be interviewed by Robin Roberts tomorrow morning on GMA. They played a short clip, and of course she was whining about nasty things being done to her husband.

• July 18, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Sigh.

I’m gonna…just go over here in the corner before I foul up this post with some indecent words.

July 18, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Thanks I will miss GMA in the morning, what is Ann Romney next stop the View, then Jon Stewart. You know copying our wonderful First Lady Michelle Obama.

• 167 lisalovesobama
      July 18, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Hope poor Robin gets to detoxify herself after that interview. It’s always best to clean up thoroughly after being exposed to toxic waste.

July 18, 2012 at 11:28 pm

You know people are going to get tired of this whining Ann Romney. If FL Michelle Obama sat on tv complaining about all the crap her husband had to deal with they would rip her apart. Ann Romney husband lies all the time about POTUS, so she need to shut her freaking mouth.

July 19, 2012 at 2:01 am

When I think of how Ann Romney gets away with sitting on tv whining about how they treat her poor pitiful husband. Tell dear Ann to take the time to see what Mrs. Michelle Obama has had to deal with. Tell Ann that her husband is try to imply that our President is not American, and heaven only knows what else they will say. But Michelle can’t go on tv and whine like Ann Romney does. Poor poor me they are picking on my rich stuck arrogant racists husband.

July 19, 2012 at 2:02 am

My rich stuck up arrogant racists husband.

• 171 theo67
            July 19, 2012 at 3:34 am

Don’t let them get to you too much, Anniebella. The world is bigger than them. With the election and their control of the media, their entitled voices get amplified, but they’re saying nothing and their lives (and dare I say, their souls) are void of meaning and empty. Recognize their worthlessness, then put them in a box where they belong (a tiny little box).

July 18, 2012 at 11:19 pm

I’ve been thinking and researching for the last couple hours….I am trying to find out of there is a link between Bain, Romney and the Chinese drywall that injured so many…as well as the Chinese tires that were faulty and may have killed people on the road. This man values profit over people…and I’m going with that premise as I try to connect the dots here.

Here is one very difficult to read article…lost in translation, I think….http://fluster-bel.gycar100.cn/Articles/82758356

but this company is tied to the Chinese tires…and Bain.
    Having a trickier time with the Chinese drywall….

I feel it in my gut…not only does he outsource jobs to China, but he very well could profit from the Chinese companies that ship their shitty products back here that harm and kill Americans. Yes…I DO think that’s a possibility!

And possibly ANOTHER reason that he doesn’t want to release his tax returns. THAT would be a campaign killer. For SURE.

• 173 susanne
      July 18, 2012 at 11:23 pm

wow–that article is impenetrable! if you’re following a strand through a morass that thick, you are a powerful thinker indeed! i salute you for doing this research. you’re right–the likelihood that r’money has invested in chinese companies tied to injuries or other negatives is very high, because he’s all about the money.

30. 174 ChristiMTL
    July 18, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Oh Lisa is so funny…that’s my new name for her now Petunia Romney

• 175 lisalovesobama
      July 18, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Oh, Christi! Petunia is Willard’s name, not Mrs. Money’s. Besides, Willard looks more like a Petunia than his other, not so great half.

31. July 18, 2012 at 11:43 pm

In your face, Ms Greenspan …. reality sucks ….

32. 179 lisalovesobama
    July 18, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Dave is hilarious!! He did two great Petunia segments in his opening. One about Petunia’s taxes and another about his veep pick. Hahahahahahs

33. 180 ChristiMTL
    July 18, 2012 at 11:46 pm

I can’t stop laughing…..come on!…it has to be a joke!

ScottKWalker: Imagine if Noah had needed help from the government to build the ark. It might have never been built.

• July 18, 2012 at 11:49 pm

That is such a dingbat comment. And that is my governor, unfortunately. Lame, lame, lame. Not bright at all.

• 182 lisalovesobama
      July 18, 2012 at 11:52 pm

News flash dummy, people back then had common sense and knew to respect authority. On that Ark, Noah was the government, and guess what buckaroo, the people who believed and had faith(namely his wife, his sons and their wives) in ‘government’ survived, learn the lesson fool: Get in the ark or step off, punk.

• July 19, 2012 at 12:12 am

I bet the people of Wisconsin would like to find an ark to put his crazy azz on.

34. 184 LunarSea
    July 18, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Okay peeps, heading to bed but before I go, since the female robme is going to be on GMA, please be sure to respond any and everyway to her whining. (which we know she will)

ABC
    147 Columbus Ave., New York, NY 10023
    Phone: 212-456-7777
    General e-mail: netaudr@abc.com

http://twitter.com/GMA @GMA. The Official Good Morning America Twitter Page! .
    http://twitter.com/ABC @ABC
    http://twitter.com/RobinRoberts @RobinRoberts

Feedback (there is a subject option for inaccurate info):

Also will be great to send emails, tweets and feedback BEFORE the show that we expect Robin to question any lies that she may spew and remind them of how many times her husband said PBO was unamerican just today. Specifically we want to hear her say whether or not she believes this. Then remind them that millions of people are offended by that and we are waiting for an apology.

She’ll probably try to play the pity card for her MS. What about others with the same or worse health problems that will be subject to insurance co abuses if her husband and her party have their way.

Pound away, respectfully of course.

good night.

July 19, 2012 at 12:13 am

Holy shit! I did it! There IS a connection between Bain owned company and Chinese tires with faulty valve stems that were all recalled. People died because of these!

The investigation appears to stem from a lawsuit filed after the fatal crash in November of Robert Monk of Orlando, Fla. In March, his widow sued Dill Air Controls Products, blaming its tire-valve stem for causing the right rear tire of her husband’s SUV to fail, precipitating the vehicle’s rollover. Shortly after the suit was filed, the Oxford, N.C., company approached NHTSA with a report of “a potential defect.” The agency last month began investigating the valve stems the company distributes in the US.

Some 30 million suspect valve stems were manufactured over a five-month period in 2006 for Dill by Topseal, a subsidiary of Shanghai Baolong Automotive Corp., based in Shanghai, according to NHTSA’s preliminary summary of its investigation. In May, Dill issued a technical bulletin to its customers: “We have received a number of parts showing surface cracks on the outside of the rubber near the rim hole…. Out of an abundance of caution, we are recommending that when customers return to your stores for regular service, you inspect the valve stems on vehicles who received valve stems during the period September 2006-June 2007.”

That Shanghai Baolong company…is owned by Bain Capital!

So, Romney has invested in a Chinese company that makes inferior products, that sells them in the US, and in this case, maybe others, has resulted in the death. And he profits from it. Profit over people….just follow the money.

July 19, 2012 at 12:16 am

Bain also owns Toys R Us…lead paint issues….China….see where I’m going? Poisoning Americans while making a profit!

• 188 Diane
      July 19, 2012 at 12:41 am

DF–You should send this information to Martin Bashir or Rachel Maddow or someone who will report this–Great work on that!

July 19, 2012 at 1:00 am

We need a Tweeter:) And thank you, Diane…one thing just led to another…

• 190 purpleshoesla
          July 19, 2012 at 1:27 am

DF, David Corn @ Mother Jones might be the perfect person to send this to since he’s broken the other Bain stories and particularly the latest one about Bain outsourcing to Chinese companies before the 1999 “retroactive retirement”. He’s been on Lawrence O’Donnell alot. I don’t know how to link an actual comment in TOD to a tweet — still figuring it all out.

July 19, 2012 at 1:38 am

Well,purpleshoes…I don’t Tweet…maybe if Bob is around in the morning, one of us can remember to ask him and get this stuff from this thread in the morning…I think it’s important.. David would be a fine person to get this to….thanks:) How are you??

• July 19, 2012 at 1:54 am

• 194 purpleshoesla
              July 19, 2012 at 1:56 am

awesome! thank you Berny!

July 19, 2012 at 2:06 am

I’m so proud of you guys doing all you can to help this President fight this fight.

• 196 purpleshoesla
                  July 19, 2012 at 2:36 am

I’m in the “take no prisoners” campaign mode, quite frankly. I want nothing more than the COMPLETE AND UTTER ANNIHILATION of Mittens and his ilk come November, as well as to send a message now to any GOP Klowns waiting in the wings for 2016 that WE the PEOPLE will take their corrupt mofo azzes down too. Someone else here said it best, We must be our own media.. okay I’ll get off my soapbox now! :smile:

• 197 4morefor44
                    July 19, 2012 at 2:53 am

and notice how they’re grooming the next generation already with their spawn? mittbot’s got some sons who have gotten into the same racket he’s done all these years (which his blind trust magically invested in!). huntsman has daughters now magically appearing all over tv and print. the bush family is grooming some of their 20-somethings for politics and some are already “reporting” on major tv networks. you know how hard it is to get these slots in the media, even for really accomplished and experienced journalists?!?! yet these completely unremarkable nepotism cases get major gigs without ever actually accomplishing anything in the field!! when you study history you see it’s always the same battles between the same factions, and seeing how they’re planting the next generation into place now, we know it’ll be the same fight years later. it’s just about swinging the pendulm farther to one side or other, and with our help PBO can swing that baby farther and father to where it should be.

• July 19, 2012 at 3:05 am

no problems…good for TODers globally to keep the information flowing 24/7

July 19, 2012 at 2:04 am

Thank you, guys!! Love how we all work together….!!!

• 200 purpleshoesla
                July 19, 2012 at 2:28 am

The Twitter help guide is clear as mud but I figured out how to just cut and pasted Berny’s tweet (thanks again Berny!) to David Corn and swapped in stephanie cutter’s handle and sent it as a tweet to her as well

• 201 Walking_on_ Sunshine
      July 19, 2012 at 12:44 am

Well done df. You could send it to the Obama campaign also.

July 19, 2012 at 1:03 am

Thanks, WoS…It would be easier for someone to Tweet this to OFA or someone there that can run with this….I’ll try and bring this over in the morning and see if I get any takers to send it on its way….it’s not right to profit off the pain and suffering of others.

• July 19, 2012 at 1:48 am

July 19, 2012 at 2:02 am

Thank you, Berny!!

July 19, 2012 at 2:02 am

I’m still searching about the Chinese drywall…

• 207 4morefor44
          July 19, 2012 at 2:43 am

wow, nice work! just did a search and saw this:

“Shanghai Baolong Industries Corporation (SBIC) has been run by a private capital since when it was established in May 1997.”

looks like there are two different companies with similar names and they both have had almost this same problem. i’m curious about this one above and if bain was involved in 1997, since we know who was running bain at that time for sure. can’t find anything at the moment, but maybe can poke around a little more tomorrow. you rock, df!!

• 208 veryslowwriter
      July 19, 2012 at 2:47 am

“People died because of these!”

No REAL people.

• 209 theo67
      July 19, 2012 at 3:39 am

Freedom!

July 19, 2012 at 12:58 am

Wow! That’s a boatload of taxpayer money Mitt “saved” the Olympics with!

• 211 99ts
      July 19, 2012 at 1:20 am

Not to mention all the private development – AFTER the government provided the infrastructure. Mitt may have to reclaim healthcare – nothing else he has done seems to have benefited anyone other than himself.

37. 214 anniebella
    July 19, 2012 at 2:14 am

I look at that picture of POTUS and FLOTUS standing there looking out at the Chicago skyline and I wonder what they must be thinking. Did that couple on their first date many years ago have any idea that they would be were they are at today? Bless our President, his wife First Lady Michelle and their family.

38. 216 4morefor44
    July 19, 2012 at 3:07 am

this is an interesting, and sad, development:

bain currently owns a plant in illinois that they are shutting down and moving it to china. happening right now. the workers, some have been there over 30 years, are asking romney to talk to his old friends at bain and save some american jobs. like everything vulture capitalists touch, they don’t care what kind of destruction they leave behind within communities and families, just as long as they can squeeze more money out of the world’s economy and keep it for themselves. a few billion isn’t enough, you know. gotta keep up with the guys at the country club!

• 217 theo67
      July 19, 2012 at 3:52 am

If Romney knew how to play the political game, or if he had any real influence – or even if he cared at all – he’d call off the off-shoring and take a bow as the hero. He’s a fool. And heartless.

39. 218 susanne
    July 19, 2012 at 4:56 am

kessler gives r’money 4 pinocchios for the ‘crony capitalism’ charge. what burns me is these stories make their impact before they’re debunked.

though the dancing horse was pulled it was not for factual errors, it was for whiny-whinny missy annie’s delicate sensitive feelings.

40. 219 Bill
    July 19, 2012 at 6:35 am

Morning Joe crew is all gloom and doom about PBO. Mika and Joe agreed that once Willard starts running ads about his wonderful family he will even be stronger, No mention of the missing Swiss bank account filings. Time for the British Open.

July 19, 2012 at 7:39 am

Bill, someone better tell me what is so dam wonderful about Mitt Romney family? They are no dam better than Obama’s family, just white. And you mean to tell me that Joe allow the knot on a log to say something Mika

• 221 Bill
        July 19, 2012 at 7:45 am

I think the Willard family is very unattractive. Ann spends her time with dancing horses and who knows what the sons do. There is no indication any of them have given back to the country or done anything interesting.

• July 19, 2012 at 7:54 am

Trust me, they tried the family thing and it didn’t work. About two months ago, the MSM was all about Miss Ann being Romney’s secret weapon, and they were acting as though the sons were all young children. They were all over cable TV trying to generate the same kind of positive interest and public fascination evoked by PBO and FLOTUS. Ann tried to act as though they were similar to the Obamas in terms of “loving couple” with her “unzip Mitt” nonsense. That didn’t generate any positive interest – only scorn and ridicule.

Morning Joke and Mika have seen the writing on the wall and it’s BAD NEWS for Romney, but they have no choice but to follow the script. They are not speaking from a place of honesty and they know it. We know it.

41. 223 Bill
    July 19, 2012 at 6:38 am

Tiger is leading 4 under par for first 7 holes.

42. 224 overseasgranny
    July 19, 2012 at 6:39 am

Have had company for weeks, but about to get back here. Looks like Rupert Murdoch and toast are finally about to get acquainted:

“A powerful group of shareholders is calling for Rupert Murdoch to stand down as chairman of News Corporation.

The billionaire’s place at the helm of the company is under threat after the 18 financial heavyweights from across the globe backed a motion to oust him….It is the first time a significant number of investors have risen up to express their anger over the running of the firm and this will be hard for the board to ignore, despite the grip the Murdoch family has over the business….

It is the first time a significant number of investors have risen up to express their anger over the running of the firm and this will be hard for the board to ignore, despite the grip the Murdoch family has over the business.”

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2175637/Investors-bid-force-Murdoch-quit-chairman-News-Corporation.html#ixzz213zGIG4I

43. 225 Claire
    July 19, 2012 at 6:44 am

How much will it cost taxpayers to send willard to tea in London next week to visit his LIBOR pals? Typical repub adding to the debt, don’t mind spending when they want to spend. This is ridiculous. romney is a candidate and we taxpayers have to pay for his little tea trip to London… then Israel. What a low life rat… to pretend he’s so concerned about the rising debt, yet before he’s even the official party nominee he’s adding to the nation’s debt.

• July 19, 2012 at 7:35 am

Want to bet that they will yell and scream about the cost of Michelle and Jill going to the Olympics? Bet y’all $10,000. Anyone want to take me up on this bet? :)

July 19, 2012 at 7:10 am

Go Freeman.

July 19, 2012 at 7:14 am

July 19, 2012 at 7:29 am

July 19, 2012 at 7:41 am

July 19, 2012 at 7:48 am

Freaking awesome news!

Actor Morgan Freeman is the newest seven-figure donor to the Obama super PAC Priorities USA Action, POLITICO has confirmed.

In a statement, Freeman lauded both the president’s record and Priorities USA for its role in the 2012 campaign.

“President Obama has done a remarkable job in historically difficult circumstances. He ended combat operations in Iraq, put in place sensible reforms of Wall Street, saved the auto industry and protected the health care of every American. He has led our nation to be more tolerant and placed impressive, accomplished women on the Supreme Court. In return, he is the target of hundreds of millions of dollars from right-wing sources,” Freeman said. “I am proud to lend my voice – and support – to those who defend him. Priorities USA Action is doing a great job of protecting the values I believe in. I am happy to help them and I hope others will join me.”

The donation comes as Priorities continues to run harsh ads attacking Mitt Romney for his record at Bain Capital and some wealthy potential contributors give the group a second look. Freeman also appears in the superhero movie of the summer, “The Dark Knight Rises,” opening this week.

49. July 19, 2012 at 7:51 am

GM! Just checking connection.

50. July 19, 2012 at 7:56 am

Is Peter Alexander related to Robney. The Press keeps doing these feel good stories on Robney, now this Guy Alexander, finds it in His Heart to do a wonderfully orchestrated story on the Robney Boys.
    The level of ass kissing is immense and MSNBainC will pick it up all Day!
    Good grief!

July 19, 2012 at 8:05 am

Bain owns MSNBC.

• July 19, 2012 at 8:07 am

Oh, and Quinnipiac says that Robney has closed, now hear this, a 12 point gap in Virginia and is now tied with the President.
      Apparently, the pollsters wants you to think the attacks on Bain and his tax returns are backfiring?

July 19, 2012 at 8:20 am

If it wasn’t working then why are all these Republicans telling Mitt to release his tax returns?

• 249 JER
        July 19, 2012 at 8:34 am

Keep in mind those polls could be rigged. Like the one I described earlier in this thread.

July 19, 2012 at 8:43 am

Jovie, I posted a comment on Monday to the effect that we should expect a slew of polls this week showing Mitt Romney doing better and PBO doing worse – with the sole intention of manipulating folks into believing that the Bain attacks/ads are not working. I was prepared for those polls – which is why I summarily dismiss them. They are flawed and invalid. As anniebella stated, the reaction of the GOP and their surrogates suggest that the internal polling tells a very different story from what those polling outfits and their media cronies want to you believe.

July 19, 2012 at 8:02 am

• July 19, 2012 at 8:17 am

According to these recent polls, this line of attack is not working! This is either bullshit or the Obama Team has wasted valuable resources on stuff People don’t care about?
      Me thinks it is bullshit, but the media will say otherwise!

52. 254 Ceb
    July 19, 2012 at 8:09 am

Miss Ann is currently being interviewed on GMA; click!

• 255 amk for obama
      July 19, 2012 at 8:14 am

Yet another case of mitt hiding behind his wife’s skirts.

July 19, 2012 at 8:24 am

Yeah, I’m with CEB. I’m not watching but some of our friends on Twitter have given us snippets of the garbage she has been spewing thus far. I’ve posted one from meta downthread :)

July 19, 2012 at 8:13 am

July 19, 2012 at 8:16 am
    July 19, 2012 at 8:22 am

July 19, 2012 at 8:22 am

Okay, then. So now that the authoritative and highly respected Miss Ann has spoken, we can put this issue to rest and move on once and for all!!

July 19, 2012 at 8:25 am

I told you Ann Romney was just as nasty as Mitt Romney. They are hiding something.

July 19, 2012 at 8:29 am

I don’t care what these polls are saying, if you can’t trust someone why would you elect them. People are wondering why Mitt Romney won’t release his tax returns.

• 264 amk for obama
      July 19, 2012 at 8:28 am

• 265 Bill
      July 19, 2012 at 8:30 am

Who are “you people”? People who do not have dancing horses and car elevators?

• 266 miss pat
        July 19, 2012 at 11:23 am

Yep. And she also meant minorities. We don’t need to trouble ourselves with what the rich does. Just serve them.

• 267 Ceb
      July 19, 2012 at 8:37 am

“you people”? She actually said that?! OMG, these people really do think that they are the overlords that the serfs should be happy to serve and dare not question.

July 19, 2012 at 8:23 am

President Barack Obama is reaching out to military veterans and seniors, two core constituencies in Florida, as he tries to keep the pressure on rival Mitt Romney.

Obama opens two days of campaigning in Florida with stops Thursday in Jacksonville and West Palm Beach.

The Florida trip comes as Obama’s re-election campaign and Democrats press Romney to release more tax returns and try to raise questions about his time as the head of a private equity firm.

Florida is the largest and most coveted of the nation’s toss-up states, a place where Romney could severely damage Obama’s chances of winning re-election.

Yet if Obama can lock down Florida’s 29 electoral votes, it would be difficult for Romney to mount enough support elsewhere to capture the White House.

• July 19, 2012 at 8:50 am

Wait til next week, their will be a poll out showing the President down 9 in Florida.
      I see what is happening! The pollsters are following around the President, and the % of undecideds have gone way up in these State polls. The Undecideds in question heavily favor the President, giving a skewed report.
      For example: QuinniPANIC poll of Virginia has the President tied at 44-44, yet the AA vote is 88-1. You see what I am saying??? Those undecided AA votes will break heavily for the President, maybe 10-1.

58. 270 Linda
    July 19, 2012 at 8:34 am

CAIRO (AP) — Egypt’s former spy chief Omar Suleiman, one of the top figures in the regime ousted by last year’s uprising, has died. He was 76.

The official Middle East News Agency said in a brief report that Suleiman died in a U.S. hospital early Thursday.

No additional details.