Jul

Chat away

President Barack Obama talks on the phone with Aurora Mayor Steve Hogan during the motorcade ride to Palm Beach International Airport in Palm Beach, Fla., July 20, 2012. The President called Mayor Hogan to offer his condolences and support to the Aurora community. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden meet with senior advisors in the Oval Office to discuss the shootings in Aurora, Colorado, July 20. Pictured, from left, are: Kathryn Ruemmler, Counsel to the President, and FBI Director Robert Mueller

54 Responses to “Chat away”

• July 20, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Well done DrDaddy ;-)

Hiya everyone, sorry I wasn’t able to be around much today, but, as expected, the President handled a desperately tragic day with class and dignity.

Hope you’re all doing okay?

• July 20, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Chipsticks – my sincere gratitude to you for making this such a special place for so many!

• July 20, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Hiya DrDaddy, as I said before, I just click buttons, it’s the great people here who make it a nice place to hang out by contributing so much – don’t tell them, but I love them intensely!

• July 20, 2012 at 9:21 pm

We love you back! :lol: (but you know that, right?)

• July 20, 2012 at 9:30 pm

But I didn’t want you all to read the love bit, I want you to view me as a stern and formidable wrist-slapper who has a heart made of stone. :lol: How ya doing Pamela?!

• July 20, 2012 at 9:46 pm

I am well, truly well. Thank you dearest… Just because we are all in this love-fest together, does not mean we don’t know better than to mess with you! We have seen how you toss to the rubbish bin all those who dare attempt to sneak past your vigilance. No, we who love you do not mess with YOU! (oh wait, that is WHY we love you so!) (did that make any sense at all VC?)

July 20, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Hi CC! Missed you today, but felt okay that you were away from the lugubrious atmosphere. I can’t imagine how the parents who haven’t yet accounted for their children are feeling.

• 18 nathkatun7
          July 21, 2012 at 2:21 am

“I can’t imagine how the parents who haven’t yet accounted for their children are feeling.”

This what I am thinking and focusing on today. As a parent, I know the main concern for the parents in Aurora, CO is the fate of their loved ones. Tonight my heart aches for all those who lost loved ones and for those whose loved ones have been seriously injured. To be honest, I don’t think this is the time to be debating NRA and gun control. Lets reserve today, tomorrow, and many days after to grieve with the families whose lives have been turned upside down. I commend the President for focusing on the needs of those impacted by this senseless violence. I am sure the terrorist brute who terrorized the people in that movie theatre will get his due. I also hope that after the people who have been victimized begin to heal, then we can all resume political debates about guns, the role of NRA in our political system, etc. For me, I agree with the President: We should spend today, and the next few days praying for all the people affected by this tragedy. This is also a time to reflect on what is really important in all of our lives. I also hope ordinary Americans who support the NRA, but who do derive obscene profits from gun sells, will also take time to reflect on the senselessness of gun violence.

July 20, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Hi Dr. Daddy!!

July 20, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Where is the rest of the gang? Everyone is moving slowly today, it seems, weighed down by the tragedy.

• July 20, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Sme of us have just come home form work! {{{{{{Chips}}}}}}} {{{{{{{{VC}}}}}}}

July 20, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Hi Pamela! Glad to see you. Today was my first day at TODville when I felt lost, when I couldn’t find much of anything to say.

• July 20, 2012 at 9:33 pm

I thought of you today, being in this country when a tragedy like this strikes…. It’s happening all too often. I wonder if it felt different to you, as you observed the reactions of the people around you. I think many of us felt as you do, when times like this are facing us, words just don’t come easily. Love you!

July 20, 2012 at 9:43 pm

{{{Pamela}}} It’s the most weighted down I’ve felt in I can’t remember how long! I actually spent the greater part of the day following the live feed. Sigh!

• July 20, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I did not see any of it on TV. Occasionally I heard a snippet as I traversed the halls of the skilled nursing floor, more than once listening then tuning out the hysteria… Most of the newsreaders insult my intelligence, so I seldom listen. Many of them seem more taken with their faux-movie-star-self-importance, I cannot abide it. They are selling us a bill of goods, I just walk on. And I pray.

July 20, 2012 at 10:21 pm

So, what else is new? Tell me something far removed from this. ;) Are you off any time this weekend? Any plans to ‘paint the town red’?

• July 20, 2012 at 11:33 pm

No, m’dear, no time off, and no chance of painting THIS town red! Seattle iz blue, blue blue all the way! Lots of Obama~Biden2012 bumper stickers, magnets, saw an I Bark For Barack magnet yesterday. Have only seen 2 Rmoney’s, and one Ron Paul (believe it or not)! My car still has the Rising Sun Obama logos I put on there in 2008, plus my Women for Obama magnet, looks like a right and true ObamaMama voiture!

July 20, 2012 at 11:44 pm

:lol: Pamela. You know I never gave a thought to the political implications when I used that expression! I shall henceforth wipe THAT one from my party vocabulary. :razz:

• July 20, 2012 at 9:15 pm

I know I feel numb. I’m so sick of the violence and the lack of will to do anything about it. I know it’ll happen again and I feel impotent to stop it.

July 20, 2012 at 9:31 pm

It’s that feeling of impotence that I found depressing today. We go through this senseless loss of lives periodically, many get killed or hurt, we empathize, and life continues until the next time because, as you say there is no will to do anything on the part of those who could/should. I’m tired of the repetitious nature of it and of the realization that my ‘outrage’ or condolences make very little difference. It’s debilitating to feel so powerless each time.

• 32 nathkatun7
      July 21, 2012 at 2:38 am

Timezone differences makes it difficult for us on the west coast to respond in a timely manner. I was out visiting friends and we were all shocked about the tragedy in Aurora, CO. Yesterday I took my 14 year old grand niece, who is visiting from D.C., to see the cartoon movie: the Ice age. The movie theater was filled with children of all ages. Today I was reflecting with friends about what if what happened in Colorado happened to us yesterday. What would I say to my niece, the mother of my grandniece, or to my dear sister, the grandmother? As a parent who lost a daughter, I know those parents in Colorado are going through hell. Sadly, there is not much we can do other than praying for them.

July 21, 2012 at 9:39 am

Something like this does touch us all, Nath, and the realization there’s not much we can do is what burns. However, I do agree with your previous (?) comment that grieving supercedes the NRA discussion for now. If I get the chance today tho, I plan to redirect gun criticisms of PBO to GOP twitter addresses. I feel it’s the least I can do.

July 20, 2012 at 9:17 pm

photo/1

4. July 20, 2012 at 9:18 pm

OMG, he purchased 6,000 rounds of ammunition on the internet. Why is that even possible? Just beyond disgusting.

• 38 utaustinliberal
      July 20, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Oh my goodness. 6,000? How is that even legal? How is that doable? This makes no sense. It’s just a horrific, horrific, senseless tragedy.

July 20, 2012 at 9:19 pm

photo/1

July 20, 2012 at 9:22 pm

photo/1

• 42 Smoothscotch
      July 21, 2012 at 1:34 am

Good evening all. Appalling to hear about the tragedy in Colorado, recently had similar shooting in Toronto, still not clear on the why.

Well done Drdaddy on first.

Amk4, that area for McCarty is in the wrong place, IMO…

• 43 nathkatun7
      July 21, 2012 at 2:44 am

Great tweets, amk! I especially love the Bachmann tweet.

7. 44 Squarepeg
    July 20, 2012 at 9:27 pm

FUCK Bloomberg. Thinking he’s telling PBO off. He’s got some nerve.

• 45 Chi
      July 21, 2012 at 5:49 am

Bloomberg and his perpetual grandstanding and glaringly opportunistic and phony ‘social’ consciousness…

It is mighty easy to sit behind a microphone in some contrived set up as radio host and Mayor, talking tough and screaming moral challenges at the dignified President of the U.S…

It is even more comical when Michael Bloomberg who has largely failed and can’t even pull off any significant successes on a small scale as Mayor of New York, keeps trying to instruct President Obama on setting and prioritizing a national agenda…

8. July 20, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Sorry everyone, a new post already! Just found 57andfemale’s piece in my inbox.

July 20, 2012 at 9:30 pm

photo/1

10. 48 vitaminlover
    July 20, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Oh but yes, President Re-elect Obama looks very fitting riding in that Presidential limosuine!

• July 20, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I am so relieved to see his feet up…. God Bless Him, we need him healthy and strong. He has taken on a massive work for humanity! I hope he knows how much we all love him so!

11. July 20, 2012 at 9:34 pm

This is a shameless re-post from a thread this morning. I think the rule against this is correct, but I’m venting. If it needs to be 86-ed I totally understand, Chips!!!

Civilized, socialized, educated, responsible, caring people do NOT WANT TO and WILL NOT bring a goddamn fucking gun to a public place. A movie theater? Schools? Your church? GMAFB!! (And you KNOW I’m not talking about law enforcement.) So with ridiculously lax gun laws it’s just the mentally ill, slightly to extremely disturbed, hero-complex, bully-complex, alienated, disgruntled gun worshiping insecure, pathetic shit-bags that show up with their arsenal of semi-automatic death and maiming devices equipped with high capacity clips that SHOULD NOT – – – NOT BE EASILY AVAILABLE. It really is an insane state of affairs for an “advanced” society.

I live in a nice middle-class neighborhood with nice people. I know, friggin’ INSIPID statement. I don’t know my neighbors that well, but seriously they all seem fine. AND? I really don’t want ANY OF THEM to have a goddamn military arsenal in their closets and basements. I don’t want totally unnecessary, pointless, inherently LETHAL WEAPONS surrounding my family.

Your responsible of course and “normal” but: Having the worst day ever? Wife pissed you off? Got fired?? Identity crisis?? Troubled your entire life but nobody noticed or cared? Hate our government? Worship SOMETHING that was disrespected somehow by someone?? Got incited by some crazy person? A neighborhood kid is visiting and for a moment your kid shows him one of your death devices and…..?

Just a flex of teh finger and blood and brains are everywhere and lives are over forever. Trust YOU who I really don’t know to be responsible with something designed for only one purpose to instantly kill other human beings? No. No. NOOOOOO! Yep, baseball bats and kitchen knives kill. But they will never kill one, two, MULTIPLE dozens of people in a few minutes of insane, depraved rage.

Whew. Sorry!

• July 21, 2012 at 7:19 am

+1,000,000,000. You summed up my exact feelings about this gun insanity, magapie. Just brilliant.

There’s no rule at all about re-posting comments! In fact, I’m delighted when people do, often great stuff like this gets lost when I post a new thread – so ALWAYS feel free to do this! Thank you magapie.

12. July 20, 2012 at 11:26 pm

He IS the president and rightly so. Dignified leadership, compassionate heart.

13. 53 Smoothscotch
    July 21, 2012 at 1:38 am

How long was the time between PBO’s speech in Colorado ane Romney’s?, the latter was sure similar.

• 54 Chi
      July 21, 2012 at 5:52 am

Roughly 30 minutes…

Glad people noticed…

Mitt Romney is a serial plagiarist…

Not a single original thought, word or action can be squeezed from that soulless, hollow, callous, calculating narcissist when it comes to honest, positive humanity…

Which is why his “statement” was just a barely disguised rip off of President Obama’s authentic and from the heart speech from 30 minutes earlier…