Jul

Rise and Shine

11.0: Vice President Biden addresses the National Association of Police Organizations’ annual convention in Manalapan, Florida

2:25: President Obama departs San Francisco en route Reno, Nevada

3:10: Arrives in Reno

3:35: Delivers remarks at the 113th National Convention of the Veterans of Foreign Wars (Live coverage)

5:00: Departs Reno en route Oakland, California

5:50: Arrives in Oakland

6:20: Attends a campaign event at the Scottish Rite Center, Oakland (Closed press)

8:35: Delivers remarks at a campaign event (Private residence, closed press)

10:55: Delivers remarks at a campaign event (Live coverage)

Cagle

Cagle

The Fact Checker (Washington Post): …. There are few original ideas in politics, just old arguments. We were reminded of this as we considered the ruckus over comments by President Obama that his GOP rival, former governor Mitt Romney, criticized as an attack on free enterprise. Romney immediately began jabbing Obama on the campaign trail and the Romney campaign rushed out an attack ad focused on Obama’s words – though, as we shall see, it sliced and diced the president’s quote to make it seem much worse.

…. The biggest problem with Romney’s ad is that it leaves out just enough chunks of Obama’s words – such as a reference to “roads and bridges”- so that it sounds like Obama is attacking individual initiative. The ad deceivingly cuts away from Obama speaking in order to make it sees as if the sentences follow one another, when in fact eight sentences are snipped away.

Suddenly, the word “that” appears as if it is referring to a business, rather than (apparently) to roads and bridges.

…. by focusing on one ill-phrased sentence, Romney and his campaign have decided to pretend that Obama is talking about something different – and then further extrapolated it so that it becomes ridiculous.

Full article here

Morning everyone

209 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

July 23, 2012 at 7:45 am

It’s another day, and we can be reassured that whatever it is that needs to be done for the well-being of the US of A, #PBOsGotThisMitt

Happy Monday Afternoon, Ms Chips, & Morning TODobots! Today is the day I wander homewards, starting at 11:30am! :grin: :grin:

MediaTeam FOCUS = Jobs; Economy; Income Inequality + Topic of the day -#PBOsGotThisMitt

• 2 Roberta in MN
      July 23, 2012 at 7:46 am

GM VC Congrats on first. Have a safe trip home where ever that is. :)

July 23, 2012 at 7:56 am

Hi, CC! You packed for home yet? ;) ;)

THANKS for this, Ms Chips, you do know my heart! I take my president seriously – see how I’m focused on him? Don’t want to miss a word he says! :lol: :lol:

• July 23, 2012 at 8:48 am

Hiya VC, not home yet, will be later in the week and then normal service will resume!

July 23, 2012 at 9:05 am

CC, your abnormal is so way, way above and beyond, we TODobots are all unbelievably spoiled! Not that we are complaining or anything. ;) ;) In fact we truly thank you!

When you do hit the road for home, please remember not to get too friendly with strangers, and in particular, no more sitting on pilots’ laps, at least not while the plane is in the air. {{Chips Chica}}

• July 23, 2012 at 9:11 am

I’ll behave on the flight VC, I promise – although it’s not my fault that I’m usually greeted like this when I board:

July 23, 2012 at 9:16 am

:shock: Jeez louise, **I** didn’t even get one flower on my FLIGHTS out. That’s it, I’ve definitely chosen the wrong airlines. Problem now is it’s way too late to switch my flights for today! Okay, as a good friend, save me one of those red ones and maybe I can dry it out and pretend.

• 12 Pamela
      July 23, 2012 at 8:37 am

Wander homeward, after scoring a first in your ‘new’ time zone! Well done, girl! :)

July 23, 2012 at 9:46 am

:lol: I’ll probably be zonked out on one of the flights later this afternoon. :grin: I’m going to try for another first later as there is one stretch when I’ll be in the airport for 31/2 -4 hours BEFORE my flight, and I suspect I’ll finish the book of short stories I’m reading. Sitting looking into space in the waiting area will drive me crazy, whereas hanging with you guys in TODville, if I can get online, will be great fun.

• July 23, 2012 at 9:58 am

VC! How did I miss this news? You’re taking to the air??

July 23, 2012 at 10:53 am

Dragging my body back to its home base, after being ‘lost at sea’. My time as a foreigner in foreign lands comes to an end today and I get to go back to my safe sane zone! ;) It’s been quite an experience, I must say, with me even getting a little bit of phone banking under my belt …… as well as an Obama 2012 button which I do not intend to share. Friends may look at it, you understand, but they may not touch. :lol: :lol:

• July 23, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Travel safely, VC! No doubt, you’ll be back in stiff competition for first place on TOD first thing in the morning… :) Sounds like it was a good visit, and I’m glad you were able to squeeze in the volunteering at the OFA offices, as you’d hoped.

July 24, 2012 at 9:17 am

There you are, Theo! You’re back from your weekend jaunt, are you? Good! Thanks for the travel wishes. I’m not there yet, but am much closer than I was yesterday. Chuckle. Chuckle. :grin: :grin:

2. 22 Roberta in MN
    July 23, 2012 at 7:45 am

Good MOrning Chips. 1st?

3. 24 relellit
    July 23, 2012 at 8:02 am

Good Morning Chips and TODville, it’s another day.

Everyone have a beautiful day. :)

Never mind the MSM; it’s so out of touch.

VC Congrats on being 1st

July 23, 2012 at 8:08 am

Thanks, relellit. These days I’m more likely than not to take whatever the MSM does/says solely as incentive for me to try to reach one other person with one more rational tweet. They help me with my focus in other words. :grin:

• 26 relellit
        July 23, 2012 at 8:35 am

You’re welcome. On the contrary though, Rupert Murdoch seemingly is on the right track.

Rupert Murdoch Supports Stricter Gun Control

He tweeted last night: We have to do something about gun controls. Police license okay for hunting rifle or pistol for anyone without crim or pscho record. No more

==============================================================
        The question is will the idiots over at FOX NOISE talk about what their says? I doubt it. Or will Murdoch walk it back??.

July 23, 2012 at 8:51 am

Truthfully, I have little ‘faith’ in the sincerity of ANYONE, republican or democrat, talking gun controls right now. It’s too pat, too convenient, too repetitive, too soon, and unlikely to go anywhere IMO. It’s a topic to be talked about in a calmer, less emotional environment, at least that’s how I feel now.

• 28 Vicki
            July 23, 2012 at 9:18 am

Rupert et al are trying to force an error by President Barack Obama. Good luck with that.

July 23, 2012 at 9:37 am

Exactly.

• 30 theo67
              July 23, 2012 at 12:12 pm

That’s how I see it.They want to force him to have to speak out about something that will rile up their rabid followers. They’re not actually looking for a serious discussion on gun control. If Bloomberg really wanted this issue resolved – he would have addressed his comments to Congress, where the stalemate exists and where the lawmakers have been purchased by the NRA. As for Murdoch, he wants fodder for his TV puppets. I don’t believe for a second that the GOP puppet-masters and billionaires have any hope of controlling guns in this country.

• 31 jackiegrumbacher
        July 23, 2012 at 8:36 am

Good idea. One more rational tweet, one more voter contact, one more contribution to OFA.

July 23, 2012 at 8:56 am

After all, Jackie, it only takes ONE…+1….+1 …=1. ;)

• 33 Judith Fardig
            July 23, 2012 at 11:21 am

Exactly! Michelle explained the “It Takes One” program beautifully, and we can all implement it. The $1 a day for OFA pairs well with this concept.

July 23, 2012 at 11:48 am

Definitely a road we can walk in the ensuing months, Judith! I’m tagging all the ‘one’ videos I find and sending them out periodically on Twitter as I really do believe that the one-to-one strategy is vital for this election. I also retweet Bobfr’s $1 a-day efforts periodically too. We’ve seen more than enough evidence that we cannot leave this one up to MSM or even rely on them to just do their jobs ethically.

July 23, 2012 at 8:08 am

GM folks

5. July 23, 2012 at 8:16 am

Good Morning Chips, TOD, everyone, and congratulations vcprez on #1!

6. 49 Suzette
    July 23, 2012 at 8:17 am

Good morning all.
    I am alive and well and I thank the Heavenly Father, because so many did not live to see this day.

7. 50 proudmemberofglobalzero
    July 23, 2012 at 8:17 am

Good Morning all….I got on CSPAN with Maya MacGuiness. She is some sort of “Bipartisan” budget group. Yeah, right. She was on McCain’s 2000 presidential campaign as some budget guru. I raised the question about this little fact:

She side stepped it and went straight to SS, Medicare, and Medicaid cuts!!!

8. 51 Pamela
    July 23, 2012 at 8:18 am

Good morning Chips, good morning TOD!

July 23, 2012 at 8:25 am

Morning Pamela, I see you are up and ready to go! :lol: Have a calm, productive and enjoyable Monday and give your ‘lady’ an extra gentle hug from me.

• 53 Pamela
        July 23, 2012 at 8:33 am

Thank you, VC. I am up, but only having tea, barely ‘ready’ for anything yet! I will certainly give a gentle hug from you. She is fading, it is sad, but beautiful at the same time. The human condition.

July 23, 2012 at 8:19 am
    • 55 99ts
      July 23, 2012 at 8:30 am

“The archivists involved in preparing the documents for public review told ABC News that financial documents, contracts, appointment calendars, emails and correspondence are likely not included in the 1,100 boxes of Olympic records, and will not be part of the collection that will ultimately be made public.

“We don’t have that stuff,” said Elizabeth Rogers, …”

No financial documents – wonder who made that decision.

• 56 Pamela
        July 23, 2012 at 8:34 am

Oh come on now….

• 57 Roberta in MN
        July 23, 2012 at 8:36 am

More than likely Mitt and his stafff did. The same thing with his MA hard drives and stuff that he destroyed. He is a crook.

July 23, 2012 at 9:23 am

You noticed that too, eh? We often talk about Mitt’s flip flopping, but if we really look carefully his method of operating is very consistent. That’s one reason I often say that we should believe what he and his wife say and do, as they are consistently clear indicators of who they really are. I sent this earlier.

July 23, 2012 at 8:40 am

The bigger question is: Will the MSM simply accept this and move on to the next “Obama” outrage, or will they have an honest discussion about the secretive and evasive nature of the Romney Campaign?

July 23, 2012 at 9:32 am

Hf, you already know the answer to this. ;) Isn’t the answer part of the reason you are such a fierce member of the media team? I think we will only have that ‘honest discussion’ when there is enough persistent push-back on the part of those voters who are following closely, to the point where the MSM realize that we see and know what’s going on.

• 61 Cha
            July 23, 2012 at 4:28 pm

VC! You get 7 Gold Medals!!!!!!! THANK GOODNESS FOR TOD & all OTHERS HOLDING THE MEDIA ACCOUNTABLE. What if there were no internet, twitter, or whatever means necessary..and all we had was a constantant Barrage of MEDIAWHOREDOM?!

• 62 ChristiMTL
      July 23, 2012 at 8:46 am

Holy **** what a crook

Destroyed his records as governor
      Destroyer records from the SLC Olympics
      Hides his tax returns
      Lie about his ”blind” trust, manage by his friend and lawyer, so blind that it invested in his son company.

Lie every time he opens his mouth.

July 23, 2012 at 9:40 am

Wonder if the Feds have some sort of record of that “transaction”? Surely they don’t just pass out that much money without notations….

• 64 Cha
        July 23, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Oh you mean that Sociopathic Heckle Jeyll and HIDE Creep running on the goprick ticket for president against the Esteemed President Barack Obama?

• 65 isonprize
      July 23, 2012 at 11:11 am

Axe is fierce. LOVE HIM!!

10. July 23, 2012 at 8:21 am

Good Morning Chips and my TOD family. What a tough past few days. Here’s to better days ahead!!!

11. 67 ChristiMTL
    July 23, 2012 at 8:33 am

Morning Chips, everyone,

I was reading another article about Romney’s trip this week.

Romney has pledged to “do the opposite” of the White House on issues affecting Israel, and vowed to make the country his first foreign stop as president. Donors joining Romney in Jerusalem said the visit will underscore that Obama hasn’t visited Israel since taking office in January 2009.

Romney’s “taking the time to go to Israel” “It really speaks to his commitment.”

Romney has tried to build a foreign policy contrast with President Barack Obama by striking a hawkish position. He’s named Russia as the “number one geopolitical foe” of the U.S. and vowed to take tougher action against a nuclear Iran.

————–

It’s very reassuring when you read the word ”LEARN”……

I don’t want to know what ”do the opposite” means! Scary thoughts….what’s the opposite?? attack Iran?…

I doesn’t even make sense that they would use the word opposite.

• 68 Linda
      July 23, 2012 at 8:43 am

Bush’s first trip to Israel was in January of 2008…

I guess his commitment was pretty much non-existent.

• 69 jackiegrumbacher
      July 23, 2012 at 8:44 am

Christi, it means the opposite of common sense, the opposite of peace, the opposite of intelligent and mutually productive cooperation with other countries, the opposite of doing what’s best for all Americans, not just the rich; the opposite of being a real leader in the world (rather than a passive follower of Israel); and the complete OPPOSITE of what makes us proud when our brilliant and charismatic president visits other countries. The Republicans live in opposite world, so that’s where R-money is comfortable. In their world, help means hurt, complete falsehoods are truth; evil people like Norquist and the Koch Brothers are saints; climate change doesn’t exist and assault weapons don’t kill people. Oh, and education doesn’t matter.

• 70 theo67
      July 23, 2012 at 12:20 pm

So, while the President’s first trips were directly related to advancing the country’s foreign relations with countries that were aligned with America’s economic and national security interests, Mitt Romney will head to Israel. How will that positively impact everyday Americans, the economy, jobs, the country’s security? In fact, making Israel that important that it warrants the “first foreign stop as president” simply irritates foreign parties and erases all progress made over these 3.5 years; the entire region is on fire, and Romney wants to pour gasoline over the whole thing.

Arab American doesn’t get anything from Israel – Israel is on the winning side of that relationship. There is not one positive thing that can come out of such a trip for the general American population. I hope Americans see that.

12. 71 57andFemale
    July 23, 2012 at 8:51 am

This is an extremely important read that must be repeated and retweeted as much as possible:

We MUST start having a discussion about what Republican policies have done to the lives of Americans, particularly retirees. This article talks about the sham of 401(k)’s that was supposed to be a great Republican idea of ‘choice’ for retirees, but was meant to implode safe, reliable pensions.

The article talks about how this is affecting current retirees. But I recall my sister-in-law who worked for Lucent and made the Great Change from real pensions to 401(k)’s in the early 90’s. In one of the all-too-many stock market crashes that we now see, she lost everything right before retirement age, while she was battling lung cancer, heart disease and eventually brain cancer. And this was a generation ago. So this is NOT new.

Part of the discussion of the destruction of jobs, manufacturing, investment in infrastructure and austerity (only for the safety net but never for the military of course) must include in the narrative of failed Republican policies, is the destruction of pensions in the name of ‘choice’ while turning over all of our investments to a deregulated casino called Wall Street.

• 72 jackiegrumbacher
      July 23, 2012 at 9:07 am

Well said, 57. Republicans cannot point to a single policy that has ended up helping people. Their sole strategy for the last 40 years has been to undermine and destroy everything that has worked well for real people so that wealth could be systematically transferred from the middle class to the wealthy. This is the sum total of all they stand for.

July 23, 2012 at 8:52 am
    July 23, 2012 at 8:52 am
    July 23, 2012 at 8:57 am
    • 79 utaustinliberal
      July 23, 2012 at 9:56 am

Sean Spicer should STFU. He wants to whine about Anna Wintour and Harvey Weinstein when the GOP have the corrupt and morally bankrupt Koch Brothers?

July 23, 2012 at 9:01 am
    July 23, 2012 at 9:04 am
  18. July 23, 2012 at 9:04 am

Good Monday morning Chips and TOD. HOPE you all have a great Monday.

19. July 23, 2012 at 9:06 am

Good morning, TODville. Chips, I hope you are thoroughly enjoying your respite!

PBO is staying at a hotel South of Market adjoining SF MOMA and Robot Romney is staying at one of the most expensive, the Fairmont at the top of Nob Hill.

July 23, 2012 at 9:09 am

DAMN!

• July 23, 2012 at 9:11 am

WHOAAAAAA. I knew it was bad, but this is insane.

July 23, 2012 at 9:15 am

And it tells us what we felt all along. These pollsters have a nefarious agenda and work at the behest of the GOP and Corporate media.

• July 23, 2012 at 9:25 am

Yes, exactly. The whole cottage industry of polling every day, every micro-move, every slice and dice they can muster, making millions off harming our President.

• July 23, 2012 at 9:36 am

Its indescribable, but when you think about it, I’ve never been so fascinated or interested in a politician/statesman in my life. Fascinated to the point of being actively engaged spreading online his vision, accomplishments and defending his record when I can against a deliberately ignorant right. I am so thankful he is President and will do what I can to make sure he continues for a second term.

• 90 amk for obama
      July 23, 2012 at 9:16 am
        July 23, 2012 at 9:24 am

When some people naively repeat polling data memes, we must remind them that the polls are designed to shape rather than report opinions. That’s the sole agenda of all this polling and reporting of poll data in the MSM; to create false narratives, to enable GOP obstruction, to force people to dislike our President or distrust his capabilities.

This difference in polling frequency between this President and others is simply too vast to explain away or justify as a coincidence.

• 94 Squarepeg
      July 23, 2012 at 11:09 am

son of a bitch. :(

July 23, 2012 at 9:20 am

Good.

• 96 theo67
      July 23, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I agree. It was nauseating listening to radio stations over the weekend hyperventilating over the prospect that Joe Paterno’s statue was being taken down – such an icon to Penn State (but someone who was able to turn a blind eye to the heinous and consistent abuse of children over a ten year period), and that they might get penalized in the football area. It’s despicable that so many in charge failed children who needed them, all the while brandishing their legacies and making money off a whole other slew of children and their athletics. I only wish Joe Paterno was here to see the consequences of his own decision to put football ahead of protecting children. This should be a lesson to all those in power – nobody is above karma and consequences.

July 23, 2012 at 9:21 am
  23. July 23, 2012 at 9:22 am

OH, PLEASE.

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The Australian foreign minister has privately warned Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney that foreign leaders see “America in decline.”

That’s according to Romney, who says he met with Foreign Minister Bob Carr in a San Francisco hotel Sunday evening shortly before a Republican fundraiser.

Romney says Carr suggested that America could improve that international perception “with one budget deal” that helps balance the budget.

A Romney spokesman says the foreign minister requested the private meeting. The campaign would not say whether the two discussed foreign policy.

Romney is scheduled to launch his first trip abroad as his party’s presumptive presidential nominee later this week. He’s set to meet with leaders in England, Israel and Poland.

• 101 amk for obama
      July 23, 2012 at 9:24 am

so mitt is now kissing the ring of australians ? way to go mitt.

July 23, 2012 at 9:25 am

Duny (an Australian) posted this on the previous thread and said he doubts this is true.

• 107 cluny
      July 23, 2012 at 9:33 am

He’s lying. read this:

I’m Australian – no one in their right minds believes that Bob Carr charcterised his ideas to Romney in this way. Carr’s part of the Gillard govt (center left) – they love Obama – as do most Australians. In fact many of us believe that President Obama is the only thing good coming out of the us political scene at the moment – if we could vote for him we would. If this is Romney’s idea of beefing up his ‘foreign policy’ skills before he heads out on his OS visit we are in for some interesting episodes . The man is a fool and a pathological liar. The AP should be ashamed for printing this without checking.

• July 23, 2012 at 9:37 am

Thanks, Cluny! I knew it had to be a lie. Romney talking about something someone at this high rank said in a private meeting is both hideous on its face and a breach of protocol. I would love this to be another instance of public shaming for his lies.

• July 23, 2012 at 9:42 am

I agree with cluny, I’m in Sydney and that is NOT what Carr was referring to. Carr’s talking about a group of CEOs looking at a fix the deficit plan, I remember tweeting about it earlier today. Has nothing to do with Romney, or agreeing with Romney…. I tell you what though, if Carr was chumy with Romney, I will be giving him a good ol fashioned tweet whipping here in Oz.

• July 23, 2012 at 9:45 am

The original article said that Carr requested the meeting. Not sure why he’s here in SF.

• 114 cluny
          July 23, 2012 at 9:52 am

Berny – it’s really not Carr’s style is it? I knew something was up the second I read it. Romney’s lying is really unbelievable isn’t it – there’s just no end to it. But since we’re talking about US decline a sure indicator would be the media’s inability to call out such chronic fibbing. I can’t imagine any other western democracy media tolerating this sort of garbage from its elected officials or anyone involved in the political arena. It’s just gross and irresponsible.

• July 23, 2012 at 9:54 am
            July 23, 2012 at 10:38 am

Well…MSNBC picked up the meme that the Australian PM said we’re in decline…people need to bombard them with the facts! They are lazy and disingenuous.

• 119 Debz
              July 23, 2012 at 11:13 am

Why would any foreign leader make comments to Romney that could strain relationships with the US. This is what we will be seeing during Romney’s trip overseas, twisting everyone’s words to make it appear that the world hates our President. What a disgrace and when the media repeats this nonsense as fact, I’m betting some world leaders will be getting an earful from the WH.

• 120 Lorraine
        July 23, 2012 at 10:28 am

What do you expect from a man who will do anything to become President? Who members of his own party don’t like him and others don’t trust him.

• 121 Cha
        July 23, 2012 at 4:39 pm

F**king Creep. Is there not one day that’s he going to step in it so BIG WITH his LIES?!!!!?

AP NEEDS PUSHBACK!!!

Thanks Cluny!

• 122 theo67
      July 23, 2012 at 12:33 pm

So, does this foreign minister have access to the inner workings of the US budget that he can now advise how the budget should be run? Is Romney planning to outsource his advisors and get foreigners to tell him how to run the US government?

Clearly, Romney sees no problem with destroying US foreign relations by pitting foreign supporters against their own governments. How does he think this secret conversation will play out in Australia? How awkward does he think it will be when Prime Minister Gillard has to meet with President Obama at the next foreign meeting – as well as the leaders of Israel, England and Poland who will also be sucked into Romney’s disregard for the foreign posture of this country? He’s completely irresponsible. When President Obama visited overseas, he didn’t badmouth the President back home – he talked about common purpose of all people, and the ways in which we can work together to protect each other, protect the planet, focus on positive and important things, and raise the standards of living for those who are less privileged.

President Obama is a statesman. Romney is not.

July 23, 2012 at 9:24 am
    • July 23, 2012 at 11:18 am

In some ways, this almost makes up for the NCAA not knowing this was going on in the first place. They have always known that Penn State (and others) place football above safety and morality and decency and honesty and, etc.

25. 126 japa21
    July 23, 2012 at 9:25 am

Good morning TOD community, family, gathering, collection of soul brothers and sisters, amassing of sane, rational people, supporters of the person who truly represents the best that mankind can be. Monday in Chicagoland and another probable record making high temperature. I think this is also a record for me in terms of the earliest I have ever hoped for Summer to turn into Fall.

There are several items that the pundits are screaming for the candidates to address including gun control and climate change. The problem is that any candidate that presents sane and rationale solutions to those problems will likely lose meaning that and sane and rationale solution will not happen. And that is because the only candidtae that actually believes these are problems that need to be addressed is PBO.

I have felt for a long time that the President knew he had to accomplish some things in his first term, but that others needed to be delayed until after his reelection, and both of these fall into that category. Pushing too hard on either of these categories in the first term would almost certainly have doomed a second term. Yet, if we can make sure he has a Congress that will back him up, both of these will be addressed starting in January 2013.

So let’s keep working not only on getting him re-elected, but also to get as many Dems into Congress as possible. And if some of them have to be Blue Dogs that only vote with him 60-75% of the time, that is still better than a Republican that won’t vote for him 1% of the time.

• July 23, 2012 at 9:38 am

Hiya Japa, yikes …. your weather seems a bit unpleasant. Stay cool!

Agree completely. I’ve always felt that PBO’s second term would be when he’d take on issues ranging from gun control to Israel/Palestine, they’re so sensitive and controversial that, as you say, “pushing too hard … in the first term would almost certainly have doomed a second”.

PBO has achieved so much in his first term, but I truly believe his second will be extraordinary, he’ll be set free – can’t wait.

• 128 japa21
        July 23, 2012 at 9:51 am

My philosophy is to stay cool, calm and collected. I model myself after a younger man who happens to be admired a lot, specially by the women around here. Hoping some of it rubs off on me.

And yes, I do think he will be set free, but he will still be limited if the Republicans are in control of the House. If they afre, what happens in the Senate is pretty much irrelevant except for approval of nominees. And in that respect, it looks like Reid is going to try to change the filibuster rules to soem degree which will help.

July 23, 2012 at 9:25 am
    • 139 Melanie
      July 23, 2012 at 9:42 am

Not the so called death penalty that had been talked about but this is pretty close or may be worse. The NCAA deservedly dropped the hammer on Penn State and hopefully it can serve as some type of deterrent to the complete lack of institutional control that that place for well over a decade.

27. 140 Ladyhawke
    July 23, 2012 at 9:31 am

SARAH PALIN WAS THE BETTER CANDIDATE

Glad We Got That Cleared Up

By Ed Kilgore

——————————

Well, that clears it up, right? Not exactly, insofar as (1) Schmidt earlier said he did’t actually review Mitt’s tax returns himself; (2) he’s also said Romney’s wealth was indeed the big disqualifier; and (3) he’s an operative for a political party that thinks rich folks pay too much in taxes.

Steve Schmidt is about as reliable an authority for “vetting” Romney’s financial and tax records for us as Mitt’s buddy Donald Trump. And maybe that’s the next figure the GOP will trot out to vouch for him.

—————————————-

28. July 23, 2012 at 9:34 am

Story on the couple who are hosting President Obama tonight:

Obama’s Piedmont backers an emerging force

29. 142 4morefor44
    July 23, 2012 at 9:39 am

“…. by focusing on one ill-phrased sentence” from the wash poo article, and maddow’s multiple comments that president obama “stole” those lines from elizabeth warren…

it seems to be a disease, where so many people can’t say anything about PBO, even overall positive things, without feeling the need to put in a ding on him too. i think this was the plan all along by the media owners with the constant barrage against him on every issue 24/7, and stoking divide and conquer issues amongst liberals, and of course the racial aspects of why that happens.

i didn’t hear an “ill-phrased sentence” when the president was speaking…it was the most simple example of taking something out of context you’ll ever find and president obama should not get any blame for the fact that these liars do that repeatedly. hey rachel, president obama’s been saying and writing those same things at least back into his college days. look it up…he’s one of the most consistent people i’ve ever seen. to say one of the most inspirational figures in the world’s history, and who gives massive speech after massive speech on all kinds of traditionally avoided topics, needs to “crib” a line or two is a f-ing joke. forward with president obama!!

• July 23, 2012 at 11:50 am

The “stolen from Elizabeth Warren” thing was mentioned in the Fact Check article, so maybe Rachel’s been doing some borrowing herself. However that article also mentioned that maybe she “stole” it from FDR who said something similar so long ago. It obviously was firmly tongue-in-check because it went on to say that this was just something Democrats have been saying for a long time and that Romney could have taken issue with the idea behind the statement, but that twisting the statement itself was just stupid. The Fact Check article did say the sentence was ill-phrased but later in the article said that it could have been phrased better so as not to be easily sliced and diced into something it was not.

• 144 nathkatun7
      July 23, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I am with you. By the way Rachel’s claim that the President stole from Elizabeth Warren, the idea that businesses depend on infrastructure, education, research, police and fire protection paid by all of us, is a lie. President Obama has been saying that ever since he started running for the Presidency. Check out his State of the Union speech. Check out his Jobs speech to Congress last year in Sept.

30. 145 ChristiMTL
    July 23, 2012 at 9:40 am

Obstructionist Mitch McConnell wants to amend ‘Bring Jobs Home Act’ by adding; repealing ObamaCare or extending Bush tax cuts for rich .

July 23, 2012 at 10:07 am

ThinkProgress has a picture up of what a gun looked like when the Constitution was written…….a musket. Any questions?

32. 147 cluny
    July 23, 2012 at 10:08 am

An Idea on How to Counteract Romney’s Lies.

This is what I’ve been thinking: Romney will leap on something and completely twist is around (you didn’t build that). It’s the Fox news/sarah Palin moron model. Maybe instead of being outraged we should respond to the lies with derision – i.e. ‘clearly PBO was talking about infrustructure but if Romney is too dense to understand this simple context then he has no business wanting to be President’. Just a thought. the advantage of this is that we can apply it to any situation” i.e ‘you didn’t understand the Australian Foreign Minister – you have no business being president “, etc.

33. 155 ChristiMTL
    July 23, 2012 at 10:18 am

Romney to Olympians: ‘You didn’t get here solely on your own’

Isn’t it interesting!

July 23, 2012 at 10:26 am

Someone should Tweet this to Axe or Liz….I’m not surprised by ANYTHING vomits out of his mouth

• 157 Lorraine
        July 23, 2012 at 10:42 am

Check the NBC website a Republican strategist already weight in blaming the Obama campaign the problem with that the quote came from the NBC news reel not the campaign. Lol.

34. July 23, 2012 at 10:27 am
    July 23, 2012 at 10:33 am
  36. July 23, 2012 at 10:36 am

The Senate meets at 2 p.m., and at 5:30 p.m., senators will vote on the nomination of Michael Shipp to be a U.S. district judge for the District of New Jersey.

Senators may also start discussing S. 3412, the Middle Class Tax Cut Act, which would implement President Obama’s plan to keep tax rates low for everyone but people earning more than $250,000.

The House meets at noon for speeches and later in the day to work on up to 18 suspension bills, with votes at 6:30 p.m. on some or all of these. Ten of the bills would name public buildings; the other eight are:

• 161 JER
      July 23, 2012 at 10:41 am
      • 162 isonprize
        July 23, 2012 at 11:43 am

Well… let’s not totally revise history.

President Eisenhower enforced racial segregation in the US Armed Forces and the Red Cross. While he did send federal troops to Arkansas (the “Little Rock Nine”) he had also campaigned AGAINST civil rights when he ran for President. In fact, it was his presidential campaign that changed alot of southern states from Democratic to Republican.

Here is a link to a letter from baseball player Jackie Robinson to Pres. Eisenhower:

37. 163 socasweet
    July 23, 2012 at 10:36 am

Good morning everyone. It is raining here in Trinidad.

Tell Mitt that the Auatralian Foreign Minister was trying to tell him how far POTUS had improved the US after his party had taken it to the brink of decline. Moron.

July 23, 2012 at 10:36 am
    July 23, 2012 at 10:44 am

Ha. Karma

July 23, 2012 at 10:44 am

Hi Chips, here is a nice front page pic from the local Denver CO newspaper (Denver Post), featuring our President’s comforting words :)

photo/1/large

July 23, 2012 at 10:45 am
    July 23, 2012 at 10:46 am
    July 23, 2012 at 10:52 am
  44. July 23, 2012 at 10:54 am

Scott brown has a new ad out hitting Warren, again using Jack Kennedy edited words against Her and the President.
    That, you didn’t build that remark, is a joke, but they must think they have something.
    I don’t see it!

July 23, 2012 at 10:56 am

This is incredible and stunning. Just stunning. So much for Gallup screaming they aren’t biased, there isn’t any media bias, they aren’t skewing the polls to shape voters opinions or to drive biased media narrative against Pres. Obama.

July 23, 2012 at 11:16 am

Thank you UT! This is graphic is VERY damning. And it documents quite unequivocally what we here have always been saying all along. There is nothing except agenda-driven media bias that would explain the jump from 7 polls during Bush’s 1st 14 months to a whopping 88 polls during the same period for President Obama.

46. July 23, 2012 at 10:59 am

Back on offense! Enough with the Bloomberg nonsense. Also, Bloomberg played Golf with the President 2 years ago. Bloomberg said POTUS was arrogant. Look who is talking!

July 23, 2012 at 11:00 am
    • 180 carla4obama
      July 23, 2012 at 11:16 am

If this was our guy that had destroyed his government records it would be a game changer…he would be gone. Crazy.

48. 181 carla4obama
    July 23, 2012 at 11:05 am

The ONLY one that can call out Robney on what the Australian Foreign Mnister said is the Australian Foreign Minister. Has he? Has the Australian PM said anything?

July 23, 2012 at 11:09 am

Absolutely! He needs to get in front of the cameras and the media and say it himself!

• 183 theo67
      July 23, 2012 at 2:54 pm

If we could get a hold of his contact info, or maybe contact the US embassy for Australia, and demand that this story be either confirmed or denied. Make an international incident of it, so that Romney will learn that there are consequences to the things that a national candidate says, especially at the foreign level. He needs a quick lesson before he heads on his European trip of chaos.

• 184 theo67
        July 23, 2012 at 2:58 pm

ok – the US Embassy in Australia is @USAembassyinOz – I intend to ask them whether they can get a statement from Bob Carr, the Minister of Foreign Affairs for Australia, whether he confirms that the Republican nominee for President of the United States had a discussion whether the US is in decline and how to manage the US budget.

49. July 23, 2012 at 11:06 am
    July 23, 2012 at 11:08 am

MUST< MUST MUST See!!

July 23, 2012 at 11:09 am
  52. July 23, 2012 at 11:11 am
  53. July 23, 2012 at 11:11 am
  54. July 23, 2012 at 11:13 am
  55. July 23, 2012 at 11:16 am
    • 196 carla4obama
      July 23, 2012 at 11:35 am

Truly sick!

• 197 jackiegrumbacher
      July 23, 2012 at 12:01 pm

How very Christian of them. Hmm, wonder how many parts of the New Testament they had to x out to come to this conclusion. How about the one that says, “Judge not, lest you be judged”?

56. 198 proudmemberofglobalzero
    July 23, 2012 at 11:23 am
  57. 199 JER
    July 23, 2012 at 11:24 am

Happening Now: Vice President Biden addresses the National Association of Police Organizations’ annual convention in Manalapan, Florida -http://www.cnn.com/video/flashLive/live.html?stream=1

58. July 23, 2012 at 11:24 am

MSNBainC can’t stop talking about how great Bloomberg is, and the stupid Liberals get on tv and say the President has missed an opportunity.
    Well, Bloomberg knew what he was doing, gets Liberals mad at the President and singing praises about Him. Check!

July 23, 2012 at 11:25 am
    July 23, 2012 at 11:26 am

ABC News reports that Mitt Romney’s Olympic archival records remain sealed—or, more precisely, those records that haven’t already been destroyed remain sealed:

More than a decade has passed since Mitt Romney presided over the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, but the archival records from those games that were donated to the University of Utah to provide an unprecedented level of transparency about the historic event, remain off limits to the public. And some of the documents that may have shed the most light on Romney’s stewardship of the Games were likely destroyed by Salt Lake Olympic officials, ABC News has learned.

Romney had promised to be transparent:

In a February 3, 2000 speech at the National Press Club he said: “All of the documents inside our organization are available to the public. Simply submit a form saying which documents you want, for instance — I want to see all the letters written by Mr. Romney to Mr. Samaranch. You’ll get ‘em all.”

But despite his pledge, he didn’t deliver:

Apparently, Romney’s operation never sent archivists any of that information. And now, they say, it has almost certainly been destroyed.

July 23, 2012 at 11:27 am
  62. July 23, 2012 at 11:28 am

Sadly, the News has not even mentioned, not once, about Stephanie and Allie.
    It’s like he never said it. Instead, they are obsessed with Bloomberg!

July 23, 2012 at 11:29 am