Jul

Rise and Shine

LA Times: President Obama accused rival Mitt Romney of “knowingly twisting” his comments about American business, in what amounted to his most forceful response to more than a week of sustained attacks by Republicans over a sound bite the president’s campaign argued was taken out of context.

In remarks to a feisty audience at Oakland’s Fox Theater on Monday evening, Obama contended that Romney had misrepresented what he said this month when he spoke of the role government plays in supporting the growth of business. He said Romney’s response showed he fails to appreciate the best way to grow the economy in a balanced way.

…. “Earlier today Gov. Romney was at it again, knowingly twisting my words around to suggest that I don’t value small businesses,” he said …. “In politics we all tolerate a certain amount of spin. I understand these are the games that get played in political campaigns. But when folks omit entire sentences of what I said – they start splicing and dicing – you may have gone a little over the edge.”

More here

The Fox Theatre, Oakland

Steve Benen: ….. Last September, Elizabeth Warren explained the role of public institutions in creating a society that allows American businesses to thrive. A video of the comments went viral, and soon after, President Obama echoed the sentiment.

Last week, Mitt Romney’s campaign, hoping that voters are fools, made the case that American businesses thrive on their own without public institutions, and to believe otherwise is to be “foreign” and hostile towards free enterprise…

….if Romney’s hysterical, right-wing argument had any merit at all, this should be fairly easy. Obama’s been in office for three-and-a-half years, and if the president were, in reality, actively opposed to the interests and needs of America’s private sector, the evidence should be overwhelming and undeniable.

And yet, it’s not. Romney – and now, Scott Brown – have to resort to garbage tactics that treat Americans voters like we’re idiots. Instead of presenting credible evidence to bolster absurd claims, Romney and Brown have to rely on out-of-context nonsense to make a case that their rivals believe in an agenda that’s pure fantasy.

If President Obama and Elizabeth Warren genuinely oppose the free market — they don’t, but if they did — why do Mitt Romney and Scott Brown have to lie?…

Full post here

Boston Globe

1:15: President Obama departs San Francisco en route Portland, Oregon

2:40: Arrives in Portland

4:50: Attends a campaign event at the Oregon Convention Center in Portland (Closed press)

** 7:10: Attends a campaign event at the Oregon Convention Center in Portland (Live coverage) **

8:05: Departs Portland en route Seattle, Washington

8:50: Arrives in Seattle

9:15: Attends a campaign event, private residence

11:15: Delivers remarks at a campaign event, private residence

Morning everyone ;-)

199 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 Proud Former White House Intern
    July 24, 2012 at 7:34 am

I’m up!

2. 8 Roberta in MN
    July 24, 2012 at 7:35 am

Good Morning Chips and congrats proud on first up.

3. 9 LOL
    July 24, 2012 at 7:35 am

What?

• 10 proudmemberofglobalzero
      July 24, 2012 at 7:37 am

Did he really?

July 24, 2012 at 7:42 am

Actually, he got a dig in at those Bain ads (said they weren’t working) while he was praising the new ad. The reason Morning Joke “likes” this ad is because it gets the topic off Romney’s tax returns and Bain record.

• 12 utaustinliberal
        July 24, 2012 at 10:52 am

He half-heartedly praised it while getting in a dig here and there. It was not “heaping big praise”

July 24, 2012 at 7:39 am

We don’t need his “praise” when he spends 90% of his show trashing the President and enabling Willard’s lies.

July 24, 2012 at 8:34 am

‘We don’t need his “praise” ‘

Thanks, Hf! Saves me commenting. ;)

• 15 Pamela
          July 24, 2012 at 9:03 am

Yo!, VC, you home safe and sound?

July 24, 2012 at 9:13 am

Not yet! Sitting in a hotel room trying to knock the weariness out with a dose of TODville news, so that I can then drive the last leg home. I got in the room at about 1:44am and couldn’t fall asleep. I figure you guys can provide a transfusion of obama/cyber energy to help keep my eyes open for the drive. :lol: :lol:

• 19 Bill
      July 24, 2012 at 7:46 am

It was a backhanded compliment. He said previous ads were so bad by attacking Bain and using class warfare that this was an improvement. Joe said the PBO campaign is now thinking the Bain ads are not working, and they are now changing their approach. He is hoping that this move will signal a change to the tone of the campaign.

• 21 jackiegrumbacher
        July 24, 2012 at 8:51 am

His candidate may not be able to walk and chew gum at the same time, but the president’s campaign can take on many fronts at once. PBO’s team will continue to escalate the truth telling about R-money, while they run the contrast ads. The Bain ads have been brutally successful. They will not stop, but more topics will be added Everything R-money has done has been underhanded. Each rock they uncover has creepy crawlies under it. Our president will not let up.

July 24, 2012 at 9:53 am

If the Bain ads and tax ads were not successful why were they complaining about them, why were Republicans saying that Mitt need to release his tax returns. But hay I don’t bother watching Joe and Mika B.S.

• 23 veryslowwriter
        July 24, 2012 at 10:56 am

Right. Class warfare is what we already have. It’s so rude of the Dems to mention it!

4. July 24, 2012 at 7:45 am

GM, TOD. Gees, FIVE minutes into this and I’m number 7?!

For the next two weeks, I will be lurking and doing it quickly most of the time. This coming Sunday is my daughter’s Shave for the Brave event in LA. She is here now. Will drive to Atlanta Thursday p.m. and fly out early Friday morning. Hubby’s niece and I will be keeping 22-month old Aliya. Wish us luck and say some prayers, please. :)

Here’s daughter’s link again. http://46mommas.com/index.php/mommas-and-kids/class-of-2012-shaving/item/laura-gorney.html?category_id=37. Any donation is appreciated.

5. 27 Linda
    July 24, 2012 at 7:46 am

Morning Junk is in denial that the Bain ads are not working…..

July 24, 2012 at 8:01 am

More stuff on Romney’s Olympic records (that he doesn’t want us to know about). Drip..drip..drip…

• 33 57andFemale
      July 24, 2012 at 8:47 am

“YOU people” aren’t entitled to see how I fleeced the American taxpayer so developers could make billions on the infrastructure investment.

• 34 99ts
      July 24, 2012 at 9:08 am

“According to Romney campaign spokeswoman Andrea Saul, “Mitt Romney resigned from SLOC in early 2002 to run for governor of Massachusetts and was not involved in the decision-making regarding the final disposition of records.””

Hahahahaha – pardon me for laughing – looks like he retrospectively resigned from the Olympics. Does he EVER take responsibility for what he does? Also, too, he doesn’t appear to be able to multitask – bit tricky when you are President.

• 35 Zekke LyDonna
        July 24, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Te. Hee. It’s a campaign ad waiting to happen. He represents everything that is disgusting and corrupt in business & government.

July 24, 2012 at 10:04 am

AND build the roads and infrastructure around his Utah home that increased the value so he was able to sell it for MORE!

So, not only did Romney use taxpayer money to bail out the Olympics, but that same money improved the roads and infrastructure around Romney’s Utah house that allowed him to sell his home for MORE MONEY. What a slimy POS.

In the recent past, say 10-12 years ago, the 2002 Winter Olympics were going to be held in Utah. By 1998 the effort was swamped by a bid rigging scandal. Folks in control of the Games were pushed out. New grifters were brought in and they brought in Mitt. He hired a team of lobbyists. And for slightly less than a $4 Million investment, these lobbyist convinced a GOP controlled Congress and the Bush Administration to bail out the Olympics with $1.5 Billion picked from the pockets of US taxpayers. Most of that money went to road construction projects around Northern Utah. Of the 10 major infrastructure projects that taxpayers paid for, four were near Deer Valley and Romney’s old home. Taxpayers spent about $70 Million for new infrastructure that increased the property values around Summit County. Deer Valley (and Mitt’s house) was in the middle of the profit zone. By the start of the 2002 Games the development boom was in full swing.
      Romney’s patrons could imagine that their property values increased because of their hard work, but without the $1.5 Billion taxpayer bailout to build out the infrastructure in Northern Utah, their land would still be isolated, remote and not worth that much.

• 37 HZ
      July 24, 2012 at 12:53 pm

I love David Axelrod and POB’s entire team. We have a great group of people working on behalf of the American people, and I will give my “goodness energies” to this team anyday, because I know the leader is a decent, brilliant, compassionate, honest, and respectful man and a gift to us.

My money and hope is on POB Anyday. We are moving FORWARD. ((((((( Send forth your good energies, acts of helping where you can, prayers, meditation, dollars, and we will help the Americans to realize the Best is in our president.))))))))) HZ

7. 38 Linda
    July 24, 2012 at 8:02 am

The Bush Legacy.

8. July 24, 2012 at 8:09 am

The Reuters poll, just released, says Taxes and Bain attacks are wiring. That 33% of indes see that as a big liability for Willard.
    Yesterday, Gallup said the Opposite. WTF???

July 24, 2012 at 8:10 am

HEADLINE: Mitt Romney’s ’02 Olympics short on transparency. Despite pledge, records destroyed.

// WASHINGTON — Mitt Romney promised “complete transparency” when he took charge of the scandal-plagued Salt Lake City Olympics, a pledge that included access to his own correspondence and plans for an extensive public archive of documents related to the Games.

But some who worked with Romney describe a close-to-the-vest chief executive unwilling to share so much as a budget with a state board responsible for spending oversight. Archivists now say most key records about the Games’ internal workings were destroyed under the supervision of a staff member shortly after the flame was extinguished at Olympic Cauldron Park, after Romney had returned to Massachusetts.

“Transparency? There was none with [the Salt Lake Organizing Committee] when he was there,” said Kenneth Bullock, a committee member who represented the Utah League of Cities and Towns. “Their transparency became a black hole. It was nonexistent.” //

10. 43 dotster3
    July 24, 2012 at 8:12 am
      July 24, 2012 at 8:34 am

HAHAHAHAHAHA! This is meant as a joke, but I believe it’s true in some cases.

• 45 jackiegrumbacher
        July 24, 2012 at 8:54 am

HF, I can testify to the nausea. That’s why I can only take a few seconds before turning it off.

• 46 HZ
          July 24, 2012 at 1:11 pm

HF and JG, I can testify also to the nausea. I really believe in my heart that we know how politics plays out in campaigns, but there is something about Mitt Romney that is just without a core of principles of goodness for the highest office in the land especially in a time when so many people have lost their savings, retirement plans, homes, marriages, etc., and really people are turned off by this awful and ugly daily circus of shameful lies by this man.

Where I get hope and a calmness is when I go back and look and listen to President Obama’s many speeches, and just hearing his voice and looking at what he has accomplished and still wants for this country in a good and decent way, gives me hope.

That is another reason we constantly need to give our thanksgiving and lift up Chips in our daily thoughts because there is hope found here. Otherwise, I know for myself, I would be crying and saying words that should not even enter my mind. So I try so hard to put into my space the goodness of POB and VP Biden to carry me through the day along with my faith that We Will Be Fine.

Just hold on just a little longer. But we have to pick up on POB’s positive energies daily to move FORWRD. He is so counting on us to help him. This is a very evil and ugly spirit that we are fighting, BUT there is a lot of goodness, love, decent spirits on this site, and all over this country, so we will tap into that each day.

11. 48 LOL
    July 24, 2012 at 8:21 am

So let’s see…everything Mitt says makes him ready for the White House is covered in secrecy. BAIN, take my word for it, I left in 99. Massachusetts, take my word for it, I was awesome even though I had my staff buy and destroy the hard drives. Olympics, take my word for it, I saved it…but I can’t tell you how because the records were destroyed. Ay caramba!

• July 24, 2012 at 8:40 am

But but but Larry Kudlow said…

• 50 jackiegrumbacher
      July 24, 2012 at 8:56 am

Yep. Not a single one of his so-called “qualifications” stand up to a moment’s scrutiny. What’s that old saw about “buying a pig in a poke”? That’s Willard alright.

• 51 4morefor44
      July 24, 2012 at 9:37 am

i see axelrod in hammering the secrecy now with olympics files. looks like they’re consciously building that case about how everything mittbot does is shrouded in secrecy, hence he cannot be a public servant. we’re so lucky we get to see team obama in action, and even work with them in our local areas!!

12. 52 taiping1
    July 24, 2012 at 8:24 am

I was part of the fired-up crowd at the Fox Theatre. We couldn’t cheer long enough or hard enough! Typical Bay Area crowd: diverse and 150% behind the President. Even though I know the stump speech by heart it is never quite the same. His elaboration on the small business comment was great. He doesn’t call Mitt a liar but conveys how desperate they are since they can’t run on the truth of their policies. The South Asian couple next to us had gotten a $7500 seat for their 16-year-old daughter so she could sit in the front road. They bragged about how she knew every detail of Obamacare and all his policies! We started waiting in line to go in at 2:15, he spoke at 7:55 so it was a long wait but worth it. I shared this site with everyone around me: people were amazed at the quality and wealth of information. One-by-one!

• July 24, 2012 at 8:27 am

Thy is freaking awesome!

July 24, 2012 at 8:32 am

Excellent taiping1! Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. I could tell that this crowd was supremely fired up…from the beginning until he left the venue. And this is just the beginning….

• 55 joyce
      July 24, 2012 at 8:33 am

That is a wonderful report of being there, and thank you for sharing.

• 56 globalcitizenlinda
      July 24, 2012 at 8:48 am

Taiping1,

thanks a lot for this on-ground report. it is always exciting to hear PBO speak in person.

I also seem to recall that you are a healthcare provider in your “off-the-TOD-life”.

If I am correct on this recollection, then please know that there are many people like me who appreciate your professional efforts and decication. at the same time we value your total support of ACA (Obamacares) and its potential to improve the health care access of millions.

thanks a lot for your role as a generous healer with lots of empathy for others

• 57 taiping1
        July 24, 2012 at 9:39 am

Thanks! In line I was next to a psychiatrist who donated $7500 for a photo-op and front-row seat who had worked at the CA Dept of Corrections medical facility who said last year was a bad one but this year I had some money. Also two retired teachers, one of whom is volunteering almost full-time and training team leaders. She has done the predictive dialing which she said was great although takes getting used to since a person is suddenly on the line. Everyone was committed to do anything necessary to reelect PBO. In the Bay Area we are traveling to Reno to help in addition to calling swing states. As a physician I make sure my patients know the benefits of ACA and point them to the HHS website. I direct parents to the Let’s Move app.
        One of the best parts of the night was seeing the president in person. Such slight shoulders on which he carries so much: our hopes, dreams, security, future. And he carries on, an indefatigable warrior. Also loved his hand gestures: especially about folding the map back in the days before GPS when he was running in his first campaigns. First president I have ever loved!

• 58 Dakota
          July 24, 2012 at 11:48 am

Thank you so much for this report! Oakland is my hometown and I just knew there would be an awesome welcome for the President. Thank you taiping1 for all that you are doing to re-elect the President.

• July 24, 2012 at 8:51 am

Fantastic taiping, thank you for the report – sounds like it was a wonderful occasion!

• 61 daiseymay1
      July 24, 2012 at 9:05 am

So wonderful. Gives us a feel for being there that can’t be beat. Obama2012

July 24, 2012 at 9:53 am

I haven’t seen this yet Taiping, but I’m looking forward to doing so. THANK you for sharing. Real reports knock the fake newspaper stories into oblivion and I love your battle cry because I believe it IS the way to go in the ensuing months – ‘ONE-by-ONE!’

July 24, 2012 at 10:17 am

Great job,taiping! How fabulous was that!

• 64 daisydem
      July 24, 2012 at 11:17 am

That is so good …. thanks for sharing! You lucky duck.

• 65 HZ
        July 24, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Thanks taiping!!!! You were so blessed to be in that same space where so much hope is within that beautiful president of ours. You were blessed more by being able to see so many who had that spirit of fighting for something so much bigger that the small talk that is spewed out daily.

Taiping, then you brought that energy here to share with us so many will have the blessed opportunity to soak it in and feast at the “table of “possibilities,” “baskets of hopefulness,” “screams of joyful sounds,” and “body energies” that will carry us out into the corners of our communities, telephone conversations, emails lists, twitterville, facebook works, donations, and everything we can do to feast from this table everytime President Obama “prepares a meal” of hope, love, brilliance of thoughts with future policiies, and just his sweet and gentle loving spirit.

Thanks for sharing with us. When your heart has been filled with goodness from this wonderful president, share it with others. You never know who needs it and who will put on their boots and walk on.(((Love you))HZ

• 66 Cha
      July 24, 2012 at 5:05 pm

This is Brilliant, taiping! I’m so Happy for you!! Such Enthusiasm for REALITY!!

13. July 24, 2012 at 8:26 am

Oh great, here comes Larry Kudlow. it’s just not enough to have on Dan Señor every morning, but the guests are far right, as well.
    Kudlow might as well be under the Koch Brothers desk, for all we know, that is where he came from.
    Just listen to the spin/garbage coming out of his mouth?

• 68 Bill
      July 24, 2012 at 8:30 am

He is quoting Mr. Greenspan. Didn’t Mr. Greenspan admit his philosophy did not work?

• July 24, 2012 at 8:38 am

He admitted tax cuts for the wealthy did not work.
        Also, I think the chairman of the FED should be elected, not appointed. That would shape things up.

July 24, 2012 at 8:27 am

It’s Tuesday, what do you know?
    Hi Ms Chips, & Morning TODobots! Not yet home, but finally at a point where I can say hello! The airports I was in yesterday did not have public access to internet; was I steamed!

BTW TODobots, I’m out of touch for a day and ‘Romney trusted more on economy’ [via USA TODAY]?!!! That’s the newspaper I paid for in my hotel fee –Grrr! It’s all TOD-ers fault! ;) I rolled my eyes and skipped the article but I did take my paid-for paper, telling myself I’m removing one from hotel circulation.

If you are looking for a hashtag focus today, here is one [ ;) ]….
    #PBOsGotThisMitt [I'm holing off on the specific topic for a day for the rest of this week before 'relaunching'.]

Have a TERRIFIC TUESDAY!

• 71 joyce
      July 24, 2012 at 8:36 am

I also saw that headline and thought it was laughable to put the word trust and Romney in the same sentence.

July 24, 2012 at 9:08 am

I so agree, Joyce. What gave me pause is that the headline looked so innocently true tucked there on the upper right side of the front page – at least it would to those who are not closely following the 2012 dialogue. It was a reminder to me, I guess, that we grassroot supporters still have oodles and oodles of one-on-one work to do. I never read the paper, but when I see something like this I picture my father who is an avid daily newspaper reader, and one whom I find not very discerning, gobbling up this info as if it’s ‘gospel truth’. And he supports the President, albeit grudgingly, because after all the president is a politician. OTH, we grassrooty types are up to the challenge! :lol: :lol:

15. 73 Ladyhawke
    July 24, 2012 at 8:28 am

PRESIDENT OBAMA’S 2012 MESSAGE IN A NUTSHELL – “THE CHOICE” AD

Obama presents voters with ‘The Choice’

By Steve Benen

———————————————-

As a rule, it’s tough to capture the larger themes of a historic presidential election in less than a minute — unless you’re prepared to speak very quickly — but this ad does it extremely well. Want to know Obama’s 2012 message in a nutshell? Here it is, in one 60-second package.
    What’s more, the ad manages to be criticize Mitt Romney with a deft touch, rather than a sledgehammer. The president explains that the Republican supports tax breaks for the wealthy, fewer safeguards for Wall Street, and trickle-down economics — before reminding viewers, “We tried that top-down approach. It’s what caused the mess in the first place.”
    But it’s the whole talk-directly-to-the-camera thing that probably stands out most. The underlying strategy, I suspect, is that the president’s re-election team believes Obama is still personally popular and likable, and having him communicate this way is intended to help reinforce a larger connection.

—————————————————-

July 24, 2012 at 8:40 am

Mark Knoller is such a disgusting tool. When “neutral” non-Obots have to be setting him straight on Twitter, you know he’s more than full of it.

July 24, 2012 at 8:49 am
  18. July 24, 2012 at 8:50 am

This Morning Mark Knoller is covering the Robney Camp, while covering the Obama camp.
    Confused yet? Don’t be, Knoller Teitter has several, several tweeds this morning quoting Robney.
    Who is he covering and how does He know what Robney said? Blackberry Emails again?

19. July 24, 2012 at 8:51 am

Mitt and some Government contractors claiming they built their businesses on their own.. But Mitt think people can’t get there on their own, only business can, not people

You Olympians, however, know you didn’t get here solely on your own power,” said Romney,

Mitt throw People under the bus but not business. Obama 2012 is people only HOPE

• 86 99ts
      July 24, 2012 at 9:20 am

As an Australian, I think it is almost unbelievable what Mitt Romney did after his private conversation with our Foreign Minister. For those unaware of the Oz political structure, the FM is equivalent to your Secretary of State. Hard to imagine anyone treating Hillary Clinton in this manner.

Bob Carr is not my favorite Oz Politician, but he is of the party that is more left than President Obama – how Mitt Romney mistook his words is how Mitt Romney seems to lie about everything – rather badly.

• 87 Cha
        July 24, 2012 at 5:10 pm

99ts, romney did NOT “mistook his words”..willard TWISTED Bob Carr’s words like he does everything else he touches.

20. July 24, 2012 at 8:58 am

Yup!

21. 91 globalcitizenlinda
    July 24, 2012 at 8:59 am

From Axe and Labolt tweets, it seems Team Obama’s point of focus for the day is highlighting that mitt the entitled patholocial liar (my emphasis) :

– used 1.4. Billion dollars of Fed government money to invest in the Utah Olympics

– was transparently eager in taking tax dollar funds for the olympics but destroyed all records so the public cannot judge him;

and from Stef Cutter’s video:

– focus is on the ease with which mitt lies, repeatedly

• 92 jackiegrumbacher
      July 24, 2012 at 9:19 am

This is great. And please let’s not use euphemisms. Willard is a LIAR. He doesn’t twist the truth or misrepresent–he LIES.

July 24, 2012 at 8:59 am
    • 94 Linda
      July 24, 2012 at 9:13 am

Has Knoller been transferred to the Romney campaign ?

July 24, 2012 at 9:14 am

I was wondering the same thing. He’s already doing the job of a Romney surrogate, as is Chuck Todd.

• 96 jackiegrumbacher
        July 24, 2012 at 9:17 am

The all have. They’re hoping the press treats will be better on the Romney campaign plane. All that money must be able to get them champaigne, caviar and imported pastries. A guy’s gotta think of his stomach. Especially an untalented hack like Knoller.

July 24, 2012 at 10:06 am

I asked Hf! ;)

July 24, 2012 at 9:02 am

I guess the “right” answer must be in those seven positions…

• 99 globalcitizenlinda
      July 24, 2012 at 9:05 am

hopefruit, are you thinking of using your own comment and this reference in a tweet? you are on target with your assessment

24. July 24, 2012 at 9:04 am

Hopefruit,
    Chuck Todd says scorched Earth!

July 24, 2012 at 9:06 am

HAHAHA! So Willard is desperately seeking to improve his dismal standing among women by launching an “Ohio Women for Mitt” committee. But alas, one of the co-chairs (CEO of Longaberger Basket Company, Tamela Longaberger) of that comittee didn’t even vote for him in the GOP Ohio primary!!!

“According to the Muskingum County Board of elections, despite a consistent record of voting in every general election and every primary in an even-numbered year, Longaberger took a pass this March when Mitt Romney’s name was on the Ohio ballot.”

• 104 globalcitizenlinda
      July 24, 2012 at 9:11 am

pathetic.

I know the longaberger company and this lady CEO. I did not know she is a supporter of mitt the entitled pathological liar. But now it figures, she has laid of many people over the years in this state and yet she is very rich and putting her family name on public buildings (like trump)

July 24, 2012 at 9:13 am

Although, the article states that she’s not really a Mitt supporter. I guess she grudgingly agreed to be co-chair…just to defeat Obama, but she clearly doesn’t like Mitt.

July 24, 2012 at 10:24 am

I have a Longaberger basket that my mom gave me…I won’t ever look at it the same way again.

• 107 0388jojothecat
        July 24, 2012 at 10:40 am

I am burning my LB baskets (just kidding). I stopped buying them a long time ago.

• 108 veryslowwriter
        July 24, 2012 at 11:06 am

Lord, you’d hope people putting their names on public buildings would have better names than “Longaberger” (sounds like stinky cheese) and “Trump” (just stinky).

26. 109 globalcitizenlinda
    July 24, 2012 at 9:07 am

Hey Team, has anyone come accross video of the Oakland event and any local reports of activities of PBO

27. 110 ChristiMTL
    July 24, 2012 at 9:08 am
    • 111 ChristiMTL
      July 24, 2012 at 9:09 am

Yep very strange and foreign…….., how many times him and his campaign has used the word FOREIGN ? Their new strategy……they are as subtle as a 2 x 4…..We can’t go full birther and racist so we are trying to get the same result by using other tactics….he’s not one of us…foreign foreign foreign….

The only thing that is VERY strange in this campaign is Mitt Romney, a crook who is more secretive than Dick Cheney.

The guy who hide his millions in FOREIGN accounts has to be the most corrupt and disgusting candidate running for president.

• July 24, 2012 at 9:15 am

He might as well just say it- but that is what he wants- to divide White/black voters!
        Don’t let Him, be smarter than He is and ignore it!

• 113 ChristiMTL
        July 24, 2012 at 9:16 am

I forgot to add the word EVER….the most corrupt and disgusting candidate running for president EVER…I’ve never seen anything like it.

• 114 veryslowwriter
          July 24, 2012 at 11:10 am

I’m so old I remember the Goldwater campaign. Ole Barry was very right wing but he was the last Republican to (mostly) tell the truth. He made it very clear — what you see is what you get. I didn’t agree with him but at least you knew what you were voting for and against.

• 115 jackiegrumbacher
            July 24, 2012 at 11:33 am

Goldwater would be considered to much of a lefty today to be accepted by 2012 Republicans. He had a brain and, while right wing, he wasn’t completely unreasonable. I remember thinking the guy was a looney. Little did I know how bad it could get.

• 116 veryslowwriter
              July 24, 2012 at 12:46 pm

He was a genuine conservative. He supported legal abortion because ….it’s none of the governent’s business! He was consistent in his views and you’re right he wouldn’t be nearly crazy enough for today’s wingnuts.

• 117 jackiegrumbacher
      July 24, 2012 at 9:14 am

Christi–Do you remember an old Star Trek episode where on a far planet really monstrous looking creatures were considered beautiful and the human face ugly? R-money calling the president strange is just like that. Willard is monstrously strange himself, so ill-equipped to talk to real people that he seems like a robot’ so lacking in empathy that he seems soulless. His “patriotism” includes parking his money out of the country and doing everything he can to avoid paying taxes. Of course, this is really a fog-blowing way of saying “I’m white. He’s black.” Oh and could someone please translate “American experience type of philosophy. Could I find this in a Sarah Palin dictionary.

• July 24, 2012 at 10:27 am
      • 123 57andFemale
        July 24, 2012 at 11:05 am

Meta, the problem is, Republicans are great at finding visceral words to use against their opponents and the Dem’s just don’t get it. They need to hire george Lakoff or Jill Klausen at Winning Words Project. We need strong, visceral words that connect on more than an intellectual level.

Everyone and their uncle is repeating the ‘foreign’ designation. This is a dog whistle to the right, but more important it sets a visceral narrative for the right-leaning ‘independents’. They aren’t independent, but are persuadable.

let’s brainstorm here on some emotional words that are a more effective pushback on Romney’s latest lies.

“Liar” doesn’t count. Something that can be insinuated into a conversation or a narrative or a profile of Romney that can hit as viscerally as ‘foreign’.

• 124 jackiegrumbacher
          July 24, 2012 at 11:35 am

A group of us were talking about this the other day, and we started talking about R-money seeming fishy, suspect, not quite right. I like the idea of ‘suspect’ because it suggests that some of what he hides may be criminal and yet doesn’t explicitly call him a felon.

28. 125 Roberta in MN
    July 24, 2012 at 9:25 am

Chips, I just sent you a email clip from U-tube and it is under robertanderson1410@gmail.com look in your spam folder. It is a very good video and I think you should put it on your site so we can all share it. I posted it on my FB page also. I just don’t know how to move it here in a copy/paste. I saw it from a twitter account.
    GM All

29. 128 57andFemale
    July 24, 2012 at 9:26 am

That’s my President and Dem’s doing what they do best:

“The Affordable Care Act extends coverage to young adults until age 26, allowing them to say on their family plans. As of Friday, the Obama administration includes families with same-sex partners.”

July 24, 2012 at 9:26 am
    July 24, 2012 at 9:29 am

I see that Comcast is doing dirty work for the GOP.

There is big headline “OBAMA WARNS FAMILIES’ TAXES MAY GO UP” yet when you click on the link, it goes to an entirely different story about some seaside cliff accident in Spain….

• 132 Roberta in MN
      July 24, 2012 at 11:08 am

Comcast is evil. I wonder why all the people on MSNBC are on vacation this week? New orders orders on their shows.
      Bashir, Ed, Rachel & was Lawrence on last night?

32. 133 japa21
    July 24, 2012 at 9:30 am

Good morning TOD family, community and believers in truth, justice and the American way, something Romney has no concept of (any of the three). Chitown is wet this morning. Big thunderstorm which kept my beagle from doing her thing outside for a while this morning. Need the rain, but still a long way to go to catch up. Not so hot today, but tomorrow promises to be another scorcher.

I get a kick out of people’s reaction to the new ad, as if the campaign felt the old ads were not working. This campaign is so awesome. First define Romney (the Bain ads) then define the difference (the new Choice ad) and then they will move on to what they offer the American people.

This is a process and the pundits just don’t get it. The whole purpose of the Bain ads was to set a ceiling for Romney, to turn people off, to make him suspect and unreliable. They have accomplished that. Even with some major tinkering with demographics, Romney hasn’t moved up in terms of percent support. Oh, they will still be used, but more in a sense of occassional ads. Look for more and more of the “here’s the difference” style ads for a while. Then watch for the “Here is what we have accomplished and what we will still accomplis” type ads. And expect a lot of attacks on the Republicans in Congress type of ads come September and October to help get Dems elected in the down-ticket races.

In all their moaning and groaning, the pundits are displaying their total ignorance.

• 134 Roberta in MN
      July 24, 2012 at 9:35 am

Japa21 so whats new. The pundits are lazy and show their ignorance everyday, or just out and out lying and disstortung the truth, if they know what that is.

• 135 4morefor44
        July 24, 2012 at 9:44 am

i think they do get what they’re doing. in fact, that precisely what they’re paid to do! distort to make sure republicans win as much as possible across the country, so that the owners taxes don’t go up and prevent more of that pesky regulation. chuck todd and morning joke and their friends are going to get big promotions/raises after this season, not demoted more scolded!!

33. July 24, 2012 at 9:34 am

Feinstein is another problem! Running her mouth, that somebody in the WH is responsible for intel leaks.
    Because, as chairman of the Intelligence Committee, if it came from her side…
    She is a Witch!

• 137 globalcitizenlinda
      July 24, 2012 at 9:49 am

Feinstein’s political stands used to perplex me until I read about the background of her husband

• 138 itgurl_29
      July 24, 2012 at 10:11 am

This is the same woman who used the murder of Harvey Milk to raise her profile and San Francisco and boost her political aspirations. She’s a piece of crap.

34. July 24, 2012 at 9:39 am

I saw in the Des Moines Register this morning that the Romney campaign will be circulating an anti-Obama petition in Iowa:

“A chain letter urging Iowans to sign a petition accusing the president of misleading people is beginning to circulate here today. “Forward this email to five friends so they know about President Obama’s reckless spending and broken promises,” says the email from GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s campaign.”

WFT?!

35. 145 proudofobama
    July 24, 2012 at 9:53 am

Hey, TOD family. Just popping in to say hello and how much I LOATHE, LOATHE, LOATHE Mitt Romney. He is a contemptible liar, a greedy tax cheat and an elitist snob. And he’s STUPID! Doesn’t know anything. Every time I hear his voice, spewing out another lie, I recoil in disgust. When I hear our President’s voice, I feel a sense of peace and calm.

• 146 Lorraine
      July 24, 2012 at 10:06 am

He is the lowest common denominator. He will do anything to win and ironically he is going to lose because he will do anything to win.

36. July 24, 2012 at 9:59 am
      July 24, 2012 at 10:29 am

Goldilocks is tweeting it’s “just right”? Well, not quite, but if it’s not the decider, then BLAME PRESIDENT OBAMA. Yes!

37. 149 Ladyhawke
    July 24, 2012 at 9:59 am

ROMNEY HAS CONTEMPT FOR THE NEWS MEDIA (AND THE VOTERS)

The Mendacity Is The Message

By Paul Krugman (April 12, 2012)

———————————

Here’s the bad news: Mitt Romney’s campaign is setting new standards in serial dishonesty. Really. He makes Bush look like a font of truth and accuracy.

Here’s the good news: reporters seem to have noticed, and — be still my beating heart — we’re starting to see reports that actually point out the distortions, rather than saying that “some Democrats” say that he isn’t being honest.
    The core of Romney’s campaign strategy seems to be contempt for the news media (and the voters), the belief that he can say anything and pay no price — which was the way things worked for Bush. But maybe, just maybe, his calculation was wrong, and serial dishonesty will become, justifiably, part of the narrative.

———————————————

38. 151 Roberta in MN
    July 24, 2012 at 10:05 am

OK the copy and paste didn’t work. So I will try to go back on youtube.com to WiseGuy thread.

July 24, 2012 at 10:09 am
      July 24, 2012 at 10:12 am

I know I really shouldn’t, yet, but I still fully believe President Obama will win in a landslide!

July 24, 2012 at 10:14 am

You know Jacqueline, I’m beginning to feel that way. The MSM seems to be getting more unhinged…the writing is on the wall…

July 24, 2012 at 10:22 am

hopefruit2 – I’m too “Irish” to want to say it out loud and jinx anything, but I’ve been secretly agreein’ with ya!

• 156 ChristiMTL
      July 24, 2012 at 10:15 am

I knew yesterday that the latest USA Gallup poll was bogus. 2 to 1 trusting Romney on the economy? Yea right. The truth ads are working and they know it…..Chuck Todd, Scarborough and all these hypocrites are freaking out…..

• 158 jackiegrumbacher
      July 24, 2012 at 11:22 am

Of course, this will be carefully hidden by the media. No one outside of Jeff Gauvin’s twitter followers and ours will ever know this.

July 24, 2012 at 10:09 am

Happy Obama Morning, Chips and TODville!

July 24, 2012 at 10:11 am

Okay y’all, I’m a little more energized so I’m going to hit the road! Keep on #PRESSINGON and don’t let the MSM rile you up. Enjoy your day! VC

July 24, 2012 at 10:24 am

VC – What’s an “MSM”? New kind of chocolate candy? I’m DONE with that ship of fools aka the MSM!

42. 164 Ladyhawke
    July 24, 2012 at 10:12 am

Romney’s new international incident

By Steve Benen

————————————————-

The problem, as the Australian foreign minister was quick to point out, is that Carr didn’t say what Romney claims he said. In fact, according to a statement released by the Embassy of Australia, Carr was actually praising America’s economic strengths. But Romney suggested to his donors that Carr is some kind of political ally, as if the Australian foreign minister supports the GOP budget plan and believes it will help end American decline.

It’s worth noting that those seeking the U.S. presidency shouldn’t run around talking about the United States being in “decline,” especially with foreign officials. For that matter, Carr is a Labor Party official, and by U.S. standards, quite liberal. The notion that he’s secretly on Romney’s side is deeply silly.

—————————————-

43. 165 99ts
    July 24, 2012 at 10:13 am

Apologies for not displaying a tweet correctly BUT wow – Bain/Tax showing results

Jeff Gauvin ‏@JeffersonObama
    Landlside RT @ryanwitt: Obama leads with 333 votes in most recent Electoral College map projection http://www.examiner.com/article/obama-leads-with-333-votes-most-recent-electoral-college-map-projection … #BAIN #Obama #Polls

• 166 57andFemale
      July 24, 2012 at 11:32 am

Go the the tweet you wish to copy.

Click ‘expand’
      Then click ‘details’ at the bottom right.
      The individual tweet comes up.
      Copy the address from the address bar
      Paste the address in a comment.

Voila!

July 24, 2012 at 10:13 am

Weinstein: Obama fundraiser ‘an investment’

// Movie producer Harvey Weinstein tried to draw a line between the rich and the super-rich Tuesday when discussing an upcoming $2 million fundraiser he’s hosting for President Barack Obama’s reelection campaign.

“It’s funny, you watch some of the people — you know, for the Republicans, for Mitt Romney — write checks. …The Koch brothers, I think, are going to raise $400 million on PACs. We’re so come-from-behind compared to these incredibly wealthy people who are doing it,” Weinstein said on CNN’s “Starting Point.” //

• 168 Cha
      July 24, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Damn Straight it’s an Investment for our Country! Thank you Harvey Weinstein and Company!

Thx hopefruit~

45. July 24, 2012 at 10:20 am

Good day TOD!

July 24, 2012 at 10:20 am

Fighter jets have bombed eastern areas of Syria’s second city Aleppo, a BBC reporter near the city says.

July 24, 2012 at 10:22 am

Phone hacking: Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson face charges

Eight people, including Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson, will face a total of 19 charges relating to phone hacking, the Crown Prosecution Service has said.

The two ex-News of the World editors are to be charged in connection with the accessing of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler’s phone messages.

They are among seven of the now-defunct paper’s former staff facing charges of conspiring to intercept voicemails.

The CPS said the charges related to 600 alleged victims between 2000 and 2006.

July 24, 2012 at 10:23 am
    July 24, 2012 at 10:34 am
    July 24, 2012 at 10:34 am

By HUGE amounts! They want Wall St to go back to the complete casino it was before Dodd/ Frank!

51. July 24, 2012 at 10:34 am
    July 24, 2012 at 10:36 am
    July 24, 2012 at 10:36 am

Better late than never! From ThinkProgress:

SAM’S CLUB STOPS ADVERTISING ON RUSH LIMBAUGH’S SHOW | The flow of advertisers abandoning Rush Limbaugh has slowed to a trickle, but yesterday Sam’s Club, the wholesale retail chain, announced on social media that they have withdrawn their advertisements. Limbaugh’s sexist rant against Georgetown graduate student and women’s advocate Sandra Fluke prompted at least 40 advertisers to flee from Limbaugh’s program.

54. July 24, 2012 at 10:39 am

Good morning, TODville.

We are now just 105 days to Election Day, November 6th.

July 24, 2012 at 10:39 am

A few snippets from ThinkProgress.org:

– A Nevada law could force the Koch Brothers’ Americans for Prosperity to disclose its secret donors.

– Mitt Romney says new gun laws would not make a difference in Colorado-type tragedies.

– Just as the U.S. Department of Justice has launched an investigation into whether the new Pennsylvania voter ID law violates federal voting rights laws, a state court begins a trial to consider whether it violates the commonwealth’s constitution.

July 24, 2012 at 10:40 am
  57. 184 Ladyhawke
    July 24, 2012 at 10:42 am

VIDEO: If the first six months don’t count…

By Steve Benen

—————————————

Mitt Romney sat down with CNBC’s Larry Kudlow, and made a curious observation. He said voters who want a strong economy should vote for him, but Americans “ought to give, whichever president is going to be elected, at least six months or a year to get those policies in place.”
    But let’s go ahead and apply this standard to President Obama, who took office in the midst of the worst global economic catastrophe since the Great Depression. Hey, look, here’s a new chart I put together.

—————————————

58. July 24, 2012 at 10:43 am

Give Ashley some love, She is one of us!

59. 186 Linda
    July 24, 2012 at 10:47 am

Prosecutors said on Tuesday that Andy Coulson, Cameron’s communications director for four years until 2011, and Rebekah Brooks, who oversaw Murdoch’s News International, would face charges of conspiracy to intercept communications.

60. July 24, 2012 at 10:52 am
  61. 188 ChristiMTL
    July 24, 2012 at 10:53 am

His speech is at 2pm….

Romney to Go on Offensive Against Obama’s Foreign Policy in Speech
    Candidate will use VFW gathering to attack president for defense cuts, leaks.

You don’t say.

The war mongering draft dodger to attack the Commander-in-Chief….

Is there anything he does beside attacking the President?

• 189 Debz
      July 24, 2012 at 11:38 am

There are no words for the disgust I feel for this sorry excuse for a human being. Lynn Sweet had the Romney “rebuttal” to POTUS’ speech to the VFW and it is disgraceful. To go to a veterans group and attack a sitting President is unAmerican.

62. July 24, 2012 at 10:53 am

Ohkay!

July 24, 2012 at 10:59 am

EXCELLENT piece worth sharing! http://www.wearethedog.com/2012/07/22/how-reagan-destroyed-america/

So are Republicans going to deny THIS American Exceptionalism? Deny the part the govt played in making all this happen? I think some of those “govt can’t do anything right” conservatives need a little smack upside their collective heads!

July 24, 2012 at 11:07 am

In creating and popularizing the “government is the problem” mindset, Reagan laid the foundation for the modern gridlock we see in Congress today; he made the notion of “good government” seem ridiculous. In doing so, he robbed America of two of its greatest assets: belief in our ability to achieve as a nation, and hope for the future, all while pretending to restore both of these things. The reality is, Reagan was a corporate shill whose purpose was to undermine the faith of the American people in their own government, and place it in the corporations themselves. Unfortunately, he was all too successful in this, and the damage he caused may yet be irreparable.

From the link above…really worth reading.

64. July 24, 2012 at 11:09 am
    • 194 globalcitizenlinda
      July 24, 2012 at 11:29 am

what do the other reports of bombardment from the air signify? is this an effort for the Syrian government to “get Aleppo back”?

things are happening so fast on the ground and of course much of the US MSM is ignoring the developments. many will wake up one morning to face dramatic decisive changes in favor of the ordinary people.

65. 195 Roberta in MN
    July 24, 2012 at 11:24 am

Ok here is the youtube video I was talking about. http://www.youtube.com/louieludwig and the video is named These guys. Sorry for the information from earlier. I still can’t do coy and paste. :)

66. 196 4morefor44
    July 24, 2012 at 11:27 am

incredibly sad story here and why we need president obama and democrats in office all over america to try and fix some of things crazy situations republicans have created:

67. 197 jackiegrumbacher
    July 24, 2012 at 11:30 am

Everybody please send positive thoughts and prayers to Pennsylvania tomorrow as the ACLU lawsuit against the state’s voter suppression laws begins the first day of hearings tomorrow. The hearing is expected to take five to six days, so we won’t know right away. Please, please let common sense prevail in the Commonwealth Court.

July 24, 2012 at 11:37 am

After showing independent voters the negative ad of Romney singing “America the Beautiful” off-key, for example, approval of Romney by those voters fell sharply from 16 points to 3 points. Obama’s numbers, on the other hand, barely moved after independents watched a negative ad about the president.

“People have made up their minds about Obama,” John Geer, political science professor at Vanderbilt and head of the project, told Whispers. “Whereas Obama’s ads have extracted a price for Romney. They are what’s moving the dial for the Obama camp. And the Obama campaign knows that.”

When surveyed, half of independents also said they were “disgusted” by the “America the Beautiful” ad, and the majority didn’t like it. But a voter’s approval of an ad is not necessarily a measure of its success, the Ad Rating Project’s results show.

Who knows what lurks in the minds of “independent” voters…maybe they felt that Romney’s off key rendition of America the Beautiful was disrespectful.