Jul

This and That

Statement from Vice President Biden on Mitt Romney’s VFW Remarks:

“Over the past three years, President Obama has taken the fight directly to America’s enemies, confronting al-Qaeda head on and taking out Osama bin Laden. He ended the war in Iraq responsibly and has a plan to do the same in Afghanistan. He has done more for Israel’s security than any President since Harry Truman, led international efforts to put the most pressure in history on Iran, protected the people of Libya from a brutal dictator and helped rebuild our alliances across the globe. He saved our economy from collapse with bold decisions, including the rescue of the automobile industry – which has made us stronger abroad. Because of President Obama’s leadership, Osama bin Laden is dead and General Motors is alive.

Today, Governor Romney had an opportunity to fulfill a long-standing promise by laying out his foreign policy vision and agenda. He had a chance to say how he would lead as Commander-in-Chief. Instead, all we heard from Governor Romney was empty rhetoric and bluster. He reflexively criticizes the President’s policies without offering any alternatives. When he does venture a position, it’s a safe bet that he previously took exactly the opposite position and will probably change his mind again and land in the wrong place – far out of the mainstream. Or he mischaracterizes our record to create a non-existent contrast.

On Afghanistan:

“Governor Romney supported the President’s timeline to end the war in Afghanistan, then he opposed it and now it is hard to know where he stands. His misguided criticism of the President’s new defense strategy is undermined by the fact that strategy was designed with and supported by the entire Defense Department senior leadership, uniform and civilian. It provides for a more agile, flexible force, better able to confront aggressors and project power, with strong partnerships to share the burden and smart investments in cutting edge capabilities. We proposed a budget to fully fund that strategy and keep faith with our veterans.

On Russia:

“When it comes to Russia – which he recently called “our number one geo-political foe” – Governor Romney remains mired in a Cold War mindset. We have serious disagreements with Moscow, but our cooperation has made the American people more secure. Russia cancelled the sale of cutting edge radar to Iran and joined us in imposing the toughest sanctions in history on Tehran. Together, we negotiated a major nuclear arms reduction treaty – New START – that virtually the entire Republican foreign policy establishment supported but Governor Romney and a very small group of Cold War holdovers opposed.

On Poland and missile defense:

“On the eve of his trip to Poland, the Governor is either profoundly misinformed – or misinforming the American people. He asserts that the President abandoned a missile defense system in that country. President Obama asked me to secure Allied support for a new missile defense plan for Europe. Who did we ask to host its main components? Poland, along with Turkey, Romania, Germany and Spain. These countries and all of NATO embraced our approach because it protects more of Europe more quickly than the old plan.

On Israel:

“Governor Romney continues his long litany of untruths about our administration’s policies toward Israel. We’ve provided record levels of security assistance, funding for the Iron Dome missile defense system that intercepted nearly 80 percent of the rockets recently fired from Gaza, close collaboration on longer range missile defense systems, the largest joint military exercises in history, the most consistent and comprehensive exchanges ever between our top political, defense, security and intelligence officials. And, contrary to Governor Romney’s outrageous accusation that the President joined in the chorus of insults levied against Israel at the United Nations, President Obama has stood up repeatedly, publicly and often alone against efforts to delegitimize Israel at the U.N. and around the world.

On Iran:

“On Iran, Governor Romney does a compelling job laying out exactly what the Administration is already doing. The only step he seems to think we should take that we are not already taking is to launch a war. If that is what the Governor is for, he should tell the American people.

On al-Qaeda and Osama bin Laden:

“One thing the Governor did not talk about today was al-Qaeda and Osama bin Laden. That’s not surprising. When he last ran for President, Governor Romney was asked what he would do about bin Laden. He said then: ‘it is not worth moving heaven and earth spending billions of dollars just trying to catch one person.’ We know how Obama answered that question: by ordering our intelligence services to leave no stone unturned in the hunt for bin Laden, and then authorizing one of the highest risk missions ever to capture or kill our number one enemy.

“Thanks to President Obama’s leadership, bin Laden is dead and General Motors is alive — and everything we have learned from Governor Romney today and during this campaign tells the American people that a Romney presidency would have resulted in just the opposite.”

The Oregon Convention Center, Portland

At the Gateway Breakfast House in Portland

First lady Michelle Obama hugs a campaign volunteer as she visited the Obama campaign office in Dayton, Ohio

…. arriving to speak to a crowd of supporters during a campaign stop at the Dayton Convention Center

Text of the First Lady’s remarks at Westerville Central High School here

At a day camp at the Westerville Community Center, Ohio

A Word from Jacqueline O’Boomer

The morning after the tragic events in Aurora, Colorado, I became enraged. I’m a 60-something original baby boomer, and I’ve seen all kinds of events, some similar to this one, over my lifetime, played out in real-time or covered after the fact on TV, written about in newspapers and online, but I had a totally different reaction to Aurora.

I didn’t give it much thought the first couple of days, thinking maybe it was “just me,” or something, since I had noticed that so many others were reacting EXACTLY the same way I had previously, to the awful events of Oklahoma City, Columbine, Tucson, and the like — our homegrown variety of “massacres.” A few parts of the story finally helped me crystallize my own emotions, as did a good chat with a long-time friend.

First, the use of the term “massacre” by the media relating to Aurora has bothered me tremendously. Not to diminish the tragedy – it was a tragedy; wonderful people were lost forever to their families – but citizens of our country hear about massacres off our shores on a daily basis, and there is no real public outcry across a broad spectrum of our American citizenry over that. For instance, around the same time as Aurora, I believe I saw a similar number of Syrians were killed in one day, in their country, on behalf of a mass murderer, their own leader. That massacre barely got the attention of the U.S. media, nor did any of the other massacres in foreign lands that happen almost without notice by what we all think is our “well-informed” citizenry and its press. And, in our own country, people die on city streets and in rural areas every day through gun violence, but their stories aren’t covered on TV and, after all, we don’t “know” them. Isn’t it always a “tribal” thing for us human beings, no matter what country we’re from?

Read the full post here

206 Responses to “This and That”

1. July 24, 2012 at 10:22 pm

• July 24, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Congrats on being #1, Bobfr (west-coasters have to be night owls or insomniacs to first on Chips’ morning posts)!

• 4 Cha
      July 24, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Yep! Now the Whole Beautiful Planet knows that willard is just a poor insecure racist who feels better about himself when he puffs up his hate on anyone who’s not a WASPrick.

• 6 purpleshoesla
      July 24, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Thank you Bobfr for this tweet! I’ve been fuming with anger ever since I read that article. And when I’m that angry it’s hard to be “pithy” at 140 characters. This captured my thought perfectly. Retweeted. And I plan to continue retweeting this with a vengeance in order to out this CRETIN for the LYING RACIST POS he is!!!!! :evil: :mad: Oh and congrats on #1 :wink:

• 9 taiping1
      July 25, 2012 at 12:12 am

Maybe Chips could do a response to Mitt with clips from the Westminster and Ireland talks, crowd pictures, the Obamas with the Queen. Photos/videos are worth a thousand words and make a mockery of Mitt’s racist dogwhistles.

• 10 nathkatun7
        July 25, 2012 at 1:38 am

taiping1, that’s a great idea! May be you can e-mail it to Chips. May she can also include the photos of the Prime ministers Gordon Brown and David Cameron being received by the Obams at the White House.

• July 25, 2012 at 1:49 am

Excellent suggestion and would not be surprised if Chips weren’t already composing just such a visual response to Mitt’s callous racism and infantile behavior toward a major international leader – our President.

• 12 Betsy
      July 25, 2012 at 12:13 am

Congrats On first!

• 14 nathkatun7
      July 25, 2012 at 1:33 am

Great to see our #1 twitter worrier coming in #1! Bob, I think you are doing such a heroic job! In the absence of a credible media we need voices like yours to educate the people.

2. 16 Proud Former White House Intern
    July 24, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Very Cool!

July 24, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Oh my…these are a set of great pictures Chips! Thanks once again :)

4. July 24, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Chips, I’m sure you and all of us realize the exceptional vigor and accuracy in Vice President Biden’s defense of our President, today. It is one of the finest statements of the accomplishments and commitments of President Obama and makes clear to everyone that this Administration is not going to tolerate any of #ChickenHawkMitt’s blathering #NEOCONSTER nonsense.

Thank you!!

July 24, 2012 at 10:28 pm

This is indeed an excellent statement by our Vice President. I love my VP Biden. I just cannot imagine any other vice President but VP Joe for the next 4 years. I don’t think America is ready let him go either. Don’t care what the pundiots claim.

• 22 Cha
      July 24, 2012 at 11:23 pm

VP Biden’s Rebuttal Statement on willard’s lying was Magnificent!

• 23 nathkatun7
      July 25, 2012 at 1:40 am

I totally agree with you, Bobfr!

• 24 miss pat
      July 25, 2012 at 10:07 am

Good morning folks. I seldom comment, only when I am pissed or I want to get a good laugh. But I must say that today I am pissed. Imagine this man going to England where President is well loved and respected and spewing crap.
      I wanted to say the sheeeet word but I am trying hard to be classy.

Did the fool Romney listen to the speech the President gave at Westminster Abby or the House of Commons or someplace where the only other foreigner that ever gave a speech was Nelson Mandela? Did he watch the crowds line the street of England to get a glimpse of the President and his wife? Did he watch the videos of them in Moneygall? No. Because the so called press follow this president to catch a gaffe, a stumble or a mistake. But still he rises, to quote Maya Angelou.

Now he is over there to watch his horse dance. I hope the damn horse fall and break his damn leg.

I hope people will see him for what he is. A lying dirty scumbag that has no empathy or sympathy for anyone that is not in his class. We must work hard to make sure he doesn’t get near the White House. And if by some fluke he does, we will just sit back and watch the train wreck and say to the assholes that put him there: “I told you so.”

• July 25, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Please tell me what Mittens said. I have tried to find an article to explain what happened in London. You better take care of yourself, the political season has just begun.

• 26 miss pat
          July 25, 2012 at 5:04 pm

He didn’t say a word. He sent his man servant to tell the English that they were white like him and his cronies and the presidsent was black. That’s how I read it anyway. That’s Anglo-Saxon bull is just another way to show his racism. And I am okay. Not pissed anymore. Just sad.

5. 27 sherijr
    July 24, 2012 at 10:26 pm

I LOVE VP Joe Biden ~ always standing up for POTUS. Thank you Mr. Vice President.

6. 30 isonprize
    July 24, 2012 at 10:29 pm

JOEY! JOEY!!! JOEY!!! I love VP Joe Biden!!

July 24, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Go Joe. Perfect tear-down of mitt, the punk.

8. July 24, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Love this video …

July 24, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Chips, do you have the linky to that Joe’s statement ? I want to tweet it.

• July 24, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Here’ya go ….

10. 35 anniebella
    July 24, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Real nice pictures of our First Couple. And thank you VP Biden for saying the truth about that lying Mitt Romney. And speaking the truth for what this President have done.

11. 36 Dudette
    July 24, 2012 at 10:36 pm

This is what the British think of President Obama… EAT IT MITT ROMNEY!

AND CHOKE ON THIS WHILE YOU’RE AT IT!

• 37 FiredUpInCA
      July 24, 2012 at 10:44 pm

“Unlike most countries in the world, we do not define citizenship based on race or ethnicity. Being American or British is not about belonging to a certain group; it’s about believing in a certain set of ideals — the rights of individuals, the rule of law. That is why we hold incredible diversity within our borders. That’s why there are people around the world right now who believe that if they come to America, if they come to New York, if they come to London, if they work hard, they can pledge allegiance to our flag and call themselves Americans; if they come to England, they can make a new life for themselves and can sing God Save The Queen just like any other citizen.

Yes, our diversity can lead to tension. And throughout our history there have been heated debates about immigration and assimilation in both of our countries. But even as these debates can be difficult, we fundamentally recognize that our patchwork heritage is an enormous strength — that in a world which will only grow smaller and more interconnected, the example of our two nations says it is possible for people to be united by their ideals, instead of divided by their differences; that it’s possible for hearts to change and old hatreds to pass; that it’s possible for the sons and daughters of former colonies to sit here as members of this great Parliament, and for the grandson of a Kenyan who served as a cook in the British Army to stand before you as President of the United States.”

• 38 0388jojothecat
        July 24, 2012 at 11:02 pm

“to test a man’s character….give him power”. The power of the Presidency did not change Barack Obama’s character if anything it improved that of the people he leads…..in my opinion.

• 42 carolyn
        July 24, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I watched that entire day and that speech. It was phenomenal and got very little play here. I don’t know if any American press even listened to it. If they had, they would know that he reset the international relations of the U.S. and has since been following exactly what he said. It was a masterful speech, and the British, who know something about good speaking, were wild about it and him. The affection and respect that flowed to him from that group was very gratifying to me.
        On a sidenote, I’ve heard that the Queen has invited FLOTUS to visit her again. That never happened to any other first lady! There is real respect and affection between them. A visit to the Queen is on FLOTUS’s agenda.

• 44 Walking_on_ Sunshine
        July 24, 2012 at 11:31 pm

I remember watching that right after the President’s visit to Ireland. My sister wrote me from the UK and said it seemed like the world was a better place that week. I think there is more than just laziness in the press not covering the warm reception the President gets in allied countries. It seems like deliberate sabotage to me. But the world is a smaller place and they don’t have full control of information anymore. We will overcome.

• July 25, 2012 at 6:10 am

This is such a powerful prebuttal of Romney’s “Anglo-Saxon” moment, the Obama campaign doesn’t have to react to it at all.

Talk about retroactively doing him in …

• 46 xtine
      July 24, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Willard-the-Liar will never aspire to anything but a shallow human being.

• 47 nathkatun7
      July 25, 2012 at 2:46 am

Thank you, Thank you, Thank You, thank you, so much Dudette for sharing President Obama’s historical speech to the joint British Parliament. You see, this is what our mainstream media deprives the people of America. If the people of America had been shown the entire address by the President, Mitt Romney would look like a full talking about how President Obama does not understand, or appreciate, the special relationship between the United States and the United Kingdom. It’s no wonder the Romney people had to invoke the “Anglo-Saxon” connections which obviously is aimed at emphasizing that Obama is not white. They just couldn’t match the President’s knowledge of history and politics so that had to fall back on race.

I hope all of you young people with technical skills preserve these videos. We need to find a way to share President Obama’s speeches, especially his speeches to foreign audiences, with a much wider audience. Again, Dudette, thank you for re-sharing this. I am sure you, or Chips, can also share his speeches to the Arab world, to the Irish people, to the Australian Parliament, etc.

12. July 24, 2012 at 10:36 pm

When Obama was sworn in, the U.S. firearms business was a $19 billion industry. Last year: $31 billion, according to the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF). [snip]
    “Some people jokingly refer to [Obama] as the salesman of the year for the industry,” says NSSF’s Senior Vice President Lawrence Keane.

13. 49 sherijr
    July 24, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Oh my, the Zach Wahls video got to me… so touching, what a lovely young gentleman. See who we are, we who support and respect this President- the best of the human spirit, imo.

14. 51 jackiegrumbacher
    July 24, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Joe Biden’s statement was perfect–clear, factual, obviously angry, but calm. He makes R-money look like a visionless worm and puts the breadth of PBO’s accomplishments in perfect perspective for anyone to see. He should repeat this on the road everywhere he goes. Joe Biden knows what went on and how powerful a foreign policy president PBO has been. He is the best spokesman and partner ever.

• 52 COS
      July 24, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I am so happy that VP Joe responded so quickly to the swill coming out of Robney’s mouth today.

• 53 nathkatun7
      July 25, 2012 at 3:11 am

“He makes R-money look like a visionless worm….”

You know JackieG, “R-money” is “a visionless worm. ” The only thing “R- money” is good at is lying and distorting President Obama’s record. Obviously Mitt Romney doesn’t realize that he is now playing in the big leagues. VP Biden methodically exposed Romney’s lies as well as his lack of policy alternatives. Everyone, with common sense and with no ideological blinders, can now see that, Mitt Romney, the man who wants to be crowned “King/Emperor of the U.S.,” has no clothes.

July 24, 2012 at 10:40 pm

16. 57 FiredUpInCA
    July 24, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Memo to Team Mitt:

Never mess with President Barack Obama. Never, ever mess with Joe.

Just go ahead and retroactively retire from running for President now and go play with your money. We need honest, serious, forward-thinking people who take personal and professional responsibility for their actions to occupy the White House. We need a steady hand and a man who keeps his word. That necessarily disqualifies you Mitt. Please seek other real estate to add to your portfolio, because 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is for serious folks.

17. July 24, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Love PBO’s latest ads, especially the “Always” ad Chip posted earlier.

Love PBO’s “rope-a-dope” strategy, allowing R-money to flail and lie/prevaricate more and more, then wham, PBO shoots a 30-second or 1 minute spot in a calm, reasonable voice, saying, “Of course I didn’t say [whatever it is R-money took out of context].

Hopefully by November, R-money’s campaign will be exposed as desperate and visionless at the hands of the cool “No Drama Obama” Zen master.

18. July 24, 2012 at 10:42 pm

July 24, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Joe Biden for Vice President! (Oh, yeah, he already is our one and only – for four more years!)

• 65 yardarm756
      July 24, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Nice post jo. Very thought provoking. A friend of mine(LB) thinks a lot like you.

• 71 utaustinliberal
      July 24, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Hey Jacqueline, thanks for the commentary. Very insightful and thought provoking.

July 25, 2012 at 12:11 am

Thanks! Appreciate it very much.

• 73 miss pat
          July 25, 2012 at 10:36 am

I enjoyed reading your article. I am going to be 66 in a few months so I have been around awhile. One thing I have noticed is that whenever terrible things happen the press labels the violent one according to their plan: If he is white he is most likely crazy; Black, just a thug; Latino; just a gang banger.

This latest terrorist, yes, he ia homegrown terrorist is going to be protected, declared insane and put away for a while because he is white. The man is not insane. He planned it, executed it and then knows how to play ‘mad/” on television. Like you I have gotten weary.

I am tired of this happening over and over again with no end in sight. In a few weeks all will be forgotten until the next time. Then we mourn again for a little while, till the next time. Same old same old.

July 25, 2012 at 11:33 am

Same old, same old, and all we can change is the way we as individuals view these events, I guess. No clear answer, as is the case with most of life’s challenges.

• 75 canadabarb4obama
      July 25, 2012 at 2:31 am

Your post, Jaqueline, was thought provoking. I believe it is time to take a look at both mental health issues, as well as medications given so freely, and to some at a young age, causing painful thoughts of murder/suicide. So many horrific crimes have happened as a result of anti-depressants, behavioural meds, and pain meds gone bad, or from withdrawl.

I had the opportunity to see and listen to both Dr. Ann-Blake Tracey and one of the shooting survival victims of Columbine. Both shooters were on psychiatric meds. Dr. Tracey has studied mass shootings throughout the USA; same story. She has written a very good book for those interested; Prozac, Panacea or Pandora.

Thank you Jackie for sharing with our TOD family; I appreciate your perspective.

• 77 nathkatun7
      July 25, 2012 at 3:15 am

Joe Biden for President, 2016!

20. 78 carolyn
    July 24, 2012 at 10:44 pm

This Anglo-Saxon line from Romney’s adviser, is of course from Romney himself. We have to face facts here: The Mormon church had, until 1978, considered all people of color inferior beings. He was brought up to believe in white superiority, and obviously absorbed that lesson well. Europeans had this thrust upon them from 1933 till 1945, and will not be amenable to this kind of talk. Romney obviously knows nothing about anyplace outside of his own limited experience. To talk like this is immoral and just plain wrong. He should be called on this…..but who will?
    What he can’t admit is that President Obama is ever so much more knowledgeable than he is on history, and of course knows American/British history very well. His whole emphasis was international relations. Mitt shows total ignorance every time he opens his mouth.

• 79 Obama Grandmama
      July 24, 2012 at 10:57 pm

I always hate when pundits say things regardling PBO’s lack of foreign experience when he came into office. The fact is his major study area in college was foreign affairs. He worked on getting rid of nukes long before becoming POTUS. Spending four years of his childhood in Indonesia, and having a multiracial family have given him great insight into the world cultures.

• 80 COS
      July 24, 2012 at 10:58 pm

This particular linein Robney’s speech should be looped 24/7. If PBO of FLOTUS had said something like this, we would never hear the end of it. We need to point this out to Rev Al. I am hoping that they will have time to go through Robney’s speech tonight and report on this tomorrow.

• 81 yardarm756
      July 24, 2012 at 11:17 pm

When you’re white you’re right don’t cha know!

• 82 nathkatun7
        July 25, 2012 at 3:31 am

Go ahead and tell the TRUTH, Yardarm. This is also known as white privilege. Although I must admit that white Republicans enjoy more privileges than white Democrats. With all the blatant lies that Mitt Romney tells everyday on the campaign trail, do you think he would have lasted this long if he were not a white Republican? I certainly don’t think so. Mitt Romney, his staff, his surrogates, and his special interest supporters, like Karl Rove, lie all the time. Yet the MSM looks the other way. In other words, the Romney’s know that they can get away with all sorts of lies about the President and his record of accomplishments. They are rarely held accountable for their lies and distortions.

21. 83 Asher in Boston
    July 24, 2012 at 10:48 pm

That’s our Joey. Call me petty, but I always feel giddy whenever I see a picture of PBO with his feet on his desk, coz it makes the baggers go bonkers. In their shallow, pitiful, hateful, bigotry minds, its how dare this black dude places his feet on “our” white people desk.

22. 87 Dudette
    July 24, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Hey Mitt! Do you think you’ll have this warm a reception in London, Poland and Israel over the next few days? Don’t count on it!

• 88 nathkatun7
      July 25, 2012 at 3:38 am

Please ignore my request in my previous comment! I now see that you are on a mission I was clamoring for. The mainstream media is failing the vast majority of the American people who are not fortunate enough to visit blogs like this one. We must find away of disseminating truthful information to the American people. What you, Chips, and others, are doing is really key to preserving American democracy.

July 24, 2012 at 10:57 pm

July 24, 2012 at 10:58 pm

July 24, 2012 at 10:59 pm

26. July 24, 2012 at 11:00 pm

July 24, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Hey Mark, why not keep as close a check on some of the other areas of government?

• July 25, 2012 at 12:57 am

Hey VC – I’m working my way backwards through the blog after being busy all day and just popping in and out. This is the first time I’m seeing you since before you started your journey home. Glad to see you arrived home in one piece from your travels!

July 25, 2012 at 11:04 am

Hi girl child! Yes, I’m back. :lol: :lol: I like you outfit, today. ;) ;) I’m struggling to find out what’s been going on and feel mostly bewildered.

27. July 24, 2012 at 11:07 pm

You Tube channel views:

President Obama – over 204 million

Moron Racist Romney – 14 million

• 97 utaustinliberal
      July 24, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Hahahahahaa……voters don’t like ugly.

• 99 xtine
        July 25, 2012 at 12:12 am

Remember the movie “The Color Purple” and Margaret Avery’s charactoer saying “You so ugly …” to Whoopie’s character. That’s what pops in my head every time Willard’s face iInterferes w/ my teevee. For some reason I end up cracking up laughing just as Avery did! :)

28. July 24, 2012 at 11:14 pm

So, after all that Wisconsin stuff, and Suffering an recalls, a State Senate Democrat just Quit the Caucus- no more majority-

Lordie Miss May!

• 101 Walking_on_ Sunshine
      July 24, 2012 at 11:46 pm

I live in the state next door and I do sometimes have a hard time understanding Cheese-heads (if any are reading this- no offense meant).

“Cullen said he still supports President Obama for re-election, and Rep. Tammy Baldwin for U.S. Senate.”

He said he might become an Independent but definitely not a Republican. He quit the Democratic Caucus. Methinks he wants to be the decider. Strange days in Wisconsin.

• July 25, 2012 at 12:59 am

Some of these politicians aren’t in it for the people they’re supposed to be serving. No wonder people are cynical about politics.

29. 103 lisalovesobama
    July 24, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Michael Eric Dyson sucks. he has some reptard on the show saying that ObamaCare is going to tax millions of people and that insurance companies have let go of thousands of people from their plans because of ObamaCare– with a caveat that some of them are off their insurance because of the economy–with NO pushback from Dyson. He sat their and gave that freak free air time yammering on with pure lies. Dyson is not equipped for shows like these. he can insult people while sounding very intelligent no doubt, but he’s not equipped with facts and therefore his great use of vocabulary is utterly useless. I was so pissed, I turned to Chelsea Lately. At least Ed would have been protesting. You could tell Dyson had no clue what was going on: whether to believe him or not, but instead of asking the reptard where his stats are coming from, Dyson just sat there with a stupid look on his face and said: “but it hasn’t even been implemented yet,” to which the reptard said: “exactly” –meaning: look at how much damage ObamaCare has done and it hasn’t even been implemented yet!!! Dyson needs to stick with his day job. :roll:

30. 104 Dudette
    July 24, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Given the quality of their reporting for the last 4 years, I don’t blame this woman one bit!

————————-
    ‘Do Some Dishes,’ Waitress Tells WH Reporters

It’s not so glamorous being a reporter on the campaign trail with President Obama. During his “unscheduled” stop on Tuesday at Portland, OR’s Gateway Breakfast House, one “surly” member of the wait staff was not so thrilled with the President’s press pool. After the camera and tape-recorder-toting corps monitored the President chatting with local veterans, they were told to go outside and wait for him to finish.

“A somewhat surly waitress seemed happy to have us out of her way and encouraged press to do some dishes on our way out of the kitchen,” correspondent Michael Memoli of the Los Angeles Times wrote in an e-mail sent to the rest of the press corps

• 105 nathkatun7
      July 25, 2012 at 3:45 am

Bravo for the “surly waitress” who refused to take Sh**t from WH self-absorbed and self-indulgent, WH press!

31. 106 Walking_on_ Sunshine
    July 24, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Aaaaaw! God bless Zach Wahls. He’s such a sweety.

July 24, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Holy fucking awesomeness! I LOVE Joe Biden. He’s so bloody brilliant. I adore his blunt, straight, tell it to your face nature.

So incredibly happy VP Biden has Pres. Obama’s back all day everyday and is on our side.

33. 108 Dudette
    July 24, 2012 at 11:26 pm

FACT SHEET: President Obama’s Accomplishments for America’s Small Businesses

Key points:
    Expanding lending
    18 Tax cuts to help businesses grow
    Reducing health care costs
    Promoting startups and entrepreneurs
    Forward: Continued support for small businesses

• 109 COS
      July 24, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Will we see Robney having a beer at this small brewery with a big sign behind him? :) Nice video.

• 110 Cha
      July 24, 2012 at 11:50 pm

This Ad is GOLD! What a Cool Evolution from being turned down by about 10 Banks back in the day when bush-cheney had just finished ruining their Country and PObama coming in to save the DAY!

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BREWERY!

July 25, 2012 at 8:29 am

A small business owner who isn’t getting before the people and lying his head off like Gilchrist did. Jack Gilchrist in his Romney ad telling the people that the Government didn’t build his business, they might didn’t build it, but Gilchrist got his share of money from the Government to help build it.

34. 113 Pamela
    July 24, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Goodnight Chips, goodnight TOD! Seattle will dream sweet dreams while our dear President rests among us tonight! Skies are clear, air is warm, it is a perfect summer evening. Still light until around 9:15….

• 114 0388jojothecat
      July 25, 2012 at 12:32 am

Hi Pamela……It looked like a beautiful day in Seattle, WA, my favorite place in the world. I was able to see PBO land and the people who greated him were so excited and happy.

35. July 24, 2012 at 11:47 pm

July 24, 2012 at 11:48 pm

• 119 Cha
      July 25, 2012 at 12:14 am

And, your father was born in Mexico because his parents had to Flee South of the Border because the Anglos were down on Multiple wifes at the same time.

July 24, 2012 at 11:50 pm

• 121 nathkatun7
      July 25, 2012 at 4:01 am

UT, thanks for all your fearless tweets! These people think all Americans are idiots. I am sure they never imagined that they would run into smart and fearless young people, like you, who would expose their despicable BS! Please keep up the good work syou are doing.

• July 25, 2012 at 7:34 am

UT . . . Happy that you are on our side! You sure are fearless!

38. 123 vitaminlover
    July 24, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Both our President and Vice-President are also slim and in good shape. They wear a suit very well.

July 24, 2012 at 11:58 pm

• 125 0388jojothecat
      July 25, 2012 at 12:28 am

His Mothers raised a very very very special young man. They should be proud and WE THE PEOPLE are proud of him.

40. 126 socasweet
    July 25, 2012 at 12:01 am

There is an article at HP about the war for woman voters. It states that both Romney and POTUS had rallies for women in Ohio today. FLOTUS held two rallies with 2000 women each. Romney surrogate’s rally had 30 women. LOL.

• 133 nathkatun7
        July 25, 2012 at 4:40 am

Metq, you are hilarious! By the way, meta, Mitt still has relatives in Mexico; no matter how much he feigns his membership in the teabag club that hates and persecutes Mexicans, and other people of color, who are in this country without legal papers.

Somebody needs to ask Mitt why it was o.k. for his grandfather to immigrate to Mexico –where Mitt’s father, George Romney, was born — to escape U.S. prosecution of his Mormon Church sanctioned practice of polygamy, but it’s so abominable for Mexicans, and other nationalities, to try to immigrate to the U.S. to find work and escape poverty?

• 134 xtine
      July 25, 2012 at 12:44 am

Willard has decided to go DefCon-Racist! Way to blow up your own campaign, Willard! Was that your plan?

• 135 Cha
      July 25, 2012 at 1:17 am

So Grateful it’s Trending on Twitter because I doubt if the corporatemediaWhore$$ would cycle and recycle the willards being so Obviously Stupid.

41. 136 sabreen60
    July 25, 2012 at 12:22 am

42. July 25, 2012 at 12:30 am

DiFi blows it. GRRRRRRRRRR.

Feinstein regrets speculating about leaks
    WASHINGTON (AP) — The head of the Senate Intelligence Committee said Tuesday that she shouldn’t have speculated about the White House’s responsibility for national security leaks because she didn’t know the source of the unauthorized disclosures.

Just hours after Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney seized on her comments to criticize President Barack Obama, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., issued a statement offering her regrets about her observation while insisting that she was confident the president did not disclose classified information.

• 138 0388jojothecat
      July 25, 2012 at 12:35 am

Dumb Bitch……I bet she got a lot of blow back from Obama supporters. I can’t stand her I swear we need someone else she is too old and stupid. She’s one of my Senators and all I can say is thank God for Barbara Boxer.

• July 25, 2012 at 12:36 am

WORD. She’s been on my last nerve for years.

• 140 nathkatun7
        July 25, 2012 at 5:00 am

Jojothecat, I am totally with you about Diane Feinstein. I’ve sent her an e-mail stating my deep disappointment with her. Thank god, our other CA Senator, Barbara Boxer, is always dependable. She always has the President’s back. I’ve voted for Feinstein because we’ve never fielded a credible alternative; but I’ve never voted for her with enthusiasm. She is always basically the lesser of all the other evils on the ballot. As a contrast, I enthusiastically support Senator Barbara Boxer. In 2010, I donated as much as I could, to make sure She was re-elected. Barbara Boxer, like her last name implies, is a fighter who does not take nonsense from extreme right wing Republicans bent on destroying this country.

• 141 FiredUpInCA
      July 25, 2012 at 12:55 am

“Feinstein, asked about the leaks, told the World Affairs Forum on Monday that “I think the White House has to understand that some of this is coming from its ranks. I don’t know specifically where, but I think they have to begin to understand that and do something about it.”[...]

I stated that I did not believe the president leaked classified information. I shouldn’t have speculated beyond that, because the fact of the matter is I don’t know the source of the leaks,” she said in a written statement.

“I regret my remarks are being used to impugn President Obama or his commitment to protecting national security secrets,” she said. “I know we are in a campaign season, but I hope the investigation proceeds without political accusation or interference from anyone.”

Let me get this straight.

By your own admission, “the fact of the matter is I don’t know the source of the leaks,” yet you’re sure they’re coming from the White House you just don’t know from where.

The Federal Government is a huge animal full of tenured moles from previous administrations but you’re certain the only source of leaks is the White House.

Is it Spout Off About Matters of National Security Without Any Evidence to Back It Up week in Congress? This is a rookie move.

• July 25, 2012 at 1:12 am

I don’t even know how she could open the door to this type of unfounded accusation when the GOP (i.e. Darrell Issa) are on the warpath, plus, Michelle Bachmann is on the ropes for her irresponsible and dangerous statements about the State Department worker. Once again, Democrats demonstrating their prowess at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Really disappointing.

July 25, 2012 at 8:16 am

As long as Feinstein have been around you would think she know better. If she had no proof of anything then why open your big darn mouth.

• 144 purpleshoesla
      July 25, 2012 at 1:56 am

Beyond the pale. First her intemperate Bain remarks and now this. She’s been in Congress too long to be pulling stunts like this. I’m writing her a nice long letter to express my “disappointment” particularly given the fact that I just received 2 emails directly from her office today asking for money for her re-election campaign.

• 145 Cha
        July 25, 2012 at 4:34 am

Thank you for writing her, purpleshoes!

• 146 nathkatun7
        July 25, 2012 at 5:05 am

I am glad I am not alone, purpleshoesla, I just sent her an e-mail expressing my deep disappointment in her. She has never been my favorite member of Congress from California.

July 25, 2012 at 8:21 am

Feinstein knew Romney would jump all over her comments, but yet she made them anyway. is she a Democrat or what? What is going on with her? A little senile maybe.

43. July 25, 2012 at 12:32 am

44. 149 sabreen60
    July 25, 2012 at 12:44 am

Whoa!

• 150 FiredUpInCA
      July 25, 2012 at 1:05 am

Wow. Just wow. I have no printable words to say about this letter. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

July 25, 2012 at 1:15 am

WOW.What else can you say.Takes my breath away.

• July 25, 2012 at 1:28 am

Disgusting. And even worse, these people actually believe this crap. I certainly don’t believe that Romney’s racist upbringing could be so easily dissolved; especially when he’s aligning himself with white supremacists now. His racist statement today about “Anglo-Saxon heritage” belies his true beliefs. This is not just about an election. He won’t be able to turn into someone else after the election – he’s stuck with this public person – and I believe that this public person is who he really is. Really sad.

• 153 99ts
        July 25, 2012 at 2:10 am

Well said Theo – it’s impossible to think otherwise. In the two major speeches heard from Romney to date have been racist statements and implications. In many ways he does not appear to be his father’s son.

Mitt Romney is showing the worst of the American far right ever before seen. Is his religion important – is this from whence he gets his doctrine that we are seeing a little at a time? Does he really think this is what the American people want to hear?

• July 25, 2012 at 2:23 am

I totally agree with your points, 99ts! He’s so unlike his father, who demonstrated some character. And he’s certainly not portraying his Mormon church in good light; especially since he was one of the leaders in that church. Just horrible on all fronts. Ruled by greed.

• July 25, 2012 at 5:40 am

Unbelievable commentary and a sad indictment of Romney’s Mormon heritage. That it needed to be sent to George Romney shows that the governor had character.

45. July 25, 2012 at 12:46 am

July 25, 2012 at 1:09 am

HI all…I guess I am seriously out of the loop tonight…I was at an OFA meeting so can someone fill in the biggest spots for me? Mitt’s still a shit, I got that part…and VP Joey is awesome…got that:) What else did I miss?

• July 25, 2012 at 1:33 am

President Obama made a couple of fantastic videos where he’s speaking directly to the people (camera), and he socked it to Romney in his recent appearances for the deliberate distortion of his words in the Romney ads. I’m catching up myself, but this is what I gathered.

July 25, 2012 at 1:44 am

Thanks, theo:) I got that from this morning…trying to read up on other sites…what I DO know..is that the AngloSaxon thing, has pissed many people off…enough so that they have gotten off the couch and started donating and volunteering for PBO…thinkprogress comments on that thread there…people are done with this stuff.

• July 25, 2012 at 1:49 am

I was royally peeved over the embarrassing of the Australian foreign minister and when the Anglo-Saxon thing came up today – I just couldn’t stand it. He’s out of control, with no regard for the damage he is doing internationally. I am really worried about what he’s planning to say when he goes overseas this week, if he’s already done this much damage at home.

47. 167 Zekke LyDonna
    July 25, 2012 at 1:24 am

48. 168 Zekke LyDonna
    July 25, 2012 at 1:25 am

Uh oh. Now I’m dangerous. Te He.

49. 169 99ts
    July 25, 2012 at 1:53 am

For Jacqueline

I think there could be a cast of millions to support your thoughts on guns and massacres, working out how to reach them and gain some media traction against the NRA will take time, but if there is a chance it would work, your actions may not be in vain.

You might like to read about Walter Mikac who lost his wife and 2 daughters in the Australian Port Arthur Tragedy. (Port Arthur being the site of the worst convict prison in Australia in the early 1800s – it seemed surreal that this would be the location of a modern day tragedy).

Walter fought for gun control and wouldn’t take no for an answer. It was legislated and implemented by a right wing government – and the PM had to get the support of all the states, because the latter had the constitutional power to pass these laws – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthur_massacre_%28Australia%29 . I live in an Australian city. I know we do have gun crime but personally I have never seen a handgun – other than carried by a LE officer.

So many want the change you want – I hope you find them all.

• July 25, 2012 at 3:12 am

A very fine comment, 99, and especially like “So many want the change you want – I hope you find them all.”

Jacqueline, I share that hope.

I am giving a lot of thought to your essay and will strive to provide you some concrete suggestions.

I suspect that my focus is going to be on how to disrupt the economics of the three industries that, from my perspective, are quite synergistic in nurturing the apparently insatiable, rapacious demand for weapons – the ‘fear industry’ (TV/radio 24/7 fear mongering), the ‘violence as entertainment industry’ and the weapons industry, itself. The core of the problem is the vast amount of earnings those three industries generate, annually.

Given all the fine people and resources that have already been expended, with negligible results (thousands dead or injured from gunshot wounds, annually, in the US), it seems obvious to me, though I may be incorrect, that until an approach is devised that addresses the reality of those lucrative earnings the problem will persist. The fact that numerous advanced Nations are not similarly plagued with gun violence is a hint as to which of the three industries one might want to focus initially and what incentives one might apply to alter the source of their cash flow.

#PRESSON

• 173 99ts
      July 25, 2012 at 7:14 am

Here is another link which looks to include links to international organizations supporting gun control

It relates to Australia but seems to have an international “flavor”

50. 175 Zekke LyDonna
    July 25, 2012 at 3:13 am

July 25, 2012 at 3:36 am

Things gleaned from Op po research file

After calling for economic divestment from Iran, Romney was embarrassed by revelation that the Italian branch of Bain & Company – firm where Romney started as young consultant and served as CEO in early ‘90s – received $2.3 million contract from National Iranian Oil Company in 2004.

Bain Capital, the private equity firm that made Romney his fortune, currently owns a chemicals and paint company called SigmaKalon that operates an office in Tehran.

French Oil Company Total SA Has Deep Ties To Iran – In 2002 Bain Capital Purchased Total’s Chemicals Business, Including Its Office In Tehran

Romney Made “Extraordinary Plea” To International Olympic Committee To Consider China For Olympic Games Despite Human Rights Abuses

i want to know if Romney’s Bain ties and money in that company will allow for blackmail or extortion.

July 25, 2012 at 4:04 am

More from this McCain opposition file..on foreign policy:

Romney’s Foreign Affairs Resume Is Extremely Thin, Leading To Credibility Problems
    Romney “Lacks Any Background In The Military Or Foreign Policy.” “Though Romney has devoted
    considerable time in the campaign to national security – including a major speech Thursday in New York City on
    the threat of nuclear terrorism – the one-term governor lacks any background in the military or foreign policy.”

Romney has no foreign policy experience.

opps. Romney praised 2005 plan by Citgo Petroleum Corp. – ultimately controlled by the Venezuelan government
    and President Hugo Chavez – to provide low-income Massachusetts residents with discounted heating oil.

Sorry…I was just reading and reading this fascinating bit of ??? from Mitt….and came across this, which made me wonder once again about the empathy and compassion question. He is a heartless, callous excuse for a human being.

1994 Romney Remark On Homeless Veterans “Not One Of The Brighter Moments Of His Campaign.”
    “From all accounts, Mitt Romney’s visit to that veterans shelter just behind Boston’s City Hall Plaza was not one of
    the brighter moments of his campaign for US senator. When director Ken Smith told him that one of the things the
    shelter needed was fresh milk, Romney replied jokingly that maybe the veterans should be taught how to milk
    cows.” (Michael Kenney, “Romney Comment Leads To Milk Run,” The Boston Globe, 11/27/94)

Jokingly.Right.

July 25, 2012 at 4:12 am

As CEO, Romney “Insisted On Having Almost Dictatorial Powers. … That Was Essential.” “The Bostonbased venture capitalist likes to be in control. ‘(At SLOC) I don’t have the kind of control I’m used to in the
    business world,’ he said. ‘When I was involved in (the resurrection of the beleaguered international firm Bain
    Consulting), I insisted on having almost dictatorial powers. … That was essential.’” (Lisa Riley Roche, “Mitt Exemplifies
    The New Openness Sought For SLOC,” Deseret News, 2/12/99)

Former Business Colleague Said Romney Possessed “Ability To Identify People’s Insecurities And
    Exploit Them To His Own Benefit.” “[S]ome colleagues found Romney to be manipulative. Romney had an
    ‘ability to identify people’s insecurities and exploit them to his own benefit,’ says a source who worked with
    Romney but refused to be quoted for ‘fear of retribution.’ This source says that Romney would vary bonuses
    among his partners just enough to put people on edge, giving $3.1 million to one, $3 million to another and $2.9
    million to another.” (Evan Thomas et al, “Is Mitt Romney Ready For Prime-Time Politics?” Newsweek, 4/16/07)

All from McCain Files

July 25, 2012 at 4:28 am

Last one…FLIP-FLOPS
    Northeastern University’s William Mayer: “After Studying Presidential Nominations For 30
    Years, I’ve Never Seen Somebody Who Has So Completely Renounced His Past Record When
    He Decided To Run For President.” (Jill Zuckman, “Romney’s On A Roll, In The Money And The Polls,” Chicago Tribune,
    5/22/07)

Five years later…the flip flops…continue. Night all.

• 181 Cha
      July 25, 2012 at 4:36 am

Good night!

• 182 nathkatun7
      July 25, 2012 at 5:15 am

gdnight, DF! You are wonderful! The amount of information you share with us is breathtaking! For an oldie like me, who is boycotting broadcast media, it’s invaluable!

Now that I am last on this thread, time for me to look for a bed.

55. 183 FiredUpInCA
    July 25, 2012 at 5:05 am

Opposites attract: Republican Don Young endorses Democrat Mazie Hironi in Hawaii

56. July 25, 2012 at 5:45 am

Good morning for the early risers and good night for the late birds. This diary keeps me sane through the long night shifts. Such invaluable information. I am almost sorry not to be working full time anymore.

57. July 25, 2012 at 6:26 am

58. July 25, 2012 at 6:48 am

No mention of Chuck Todds new poll, but we sure got our fill of Gallup yesterday!

• 187 Melanie
      July 25, 2012 at 6:52 am

They talked about it for the 1st 15 minutes or so.

• July 25, 2012 at 7:17 am

Yes! They just had on Chuck SOD, telling us the poll is bad news for Obama and His base.
        Utter nonsense!
        Robney is going to have to use His whole convention to define Himself, and take a risk at some specifics.
        He is in a Box, and Chuck SOD will not admit it!

• 192 dotster3
      July 25, 2012 at 7:12 am

Now Chuckles is talking about it—–said it’s just full of bad news for ‘both of them’. I’d say the 6 and 8 point lead by Obama was some good news for Obama, but it hurts to say it, I guess. And Chuckles just added that Obama was “tactically” ahead, but he shouldn’t be, given the economy etc. Cilizza is adding his disbelief and disappointment and non-enlightened thoughts now.

• July 25, 2012 at 7:22 am

He says it was weighted democratic. Somebody said it was more older crowd? Both can’t be right. The question is, why is SOD ragging on his polls internals?

• 195 dotster3
      July 25, 2012 at 7:17 am

Wow, did the Morning Joke crew hate this ad. They shook their heads in disgust—–all of them, saying Obama had lost control of his campaign, etc. etc. etc. One of ‘em—–McKinnon?—-said it’s dumb because it reminds people that Willard “fixed” the Olympics. I didn’t really catch all of it, but it must be good if they were all looking like they were going to vomit about it.

• July 25, 2012 at 7:24 am

They all dismissed it as utter nonsense and started talking about how great Scott Walker was! LOL!

July 25, 2012 at 7:55 am

Who gives a dam what the crew over at Morning Joke think? Honestly, we know what they are all about, we know they don’t support the President, we don’t expect them to say anything nice do we? So the reasons I don’t watch and will refuse to read anything else about what they said, is because I know Morning Joke is junk.

July 25, 2012 at 7:13 am

What a nutty country. Methinks it is beyond saving

Aurora shooting: Colorado gun sales up after cinema killings.

The number of people seeking to buy guns in Colorado has soared since last week’s mass shooting in the US state’s town of Aurora, say law officials.

In the three days after the shooting, applications for the background checks needed to buy a gun legally were up 43% on the previous week.

• 199 dotster3
      July 25, 2012 at 7:25 am

The gun biz and the NRA love these tragedies—–gun sales go thru the roof as all the usuals scare people silly that ‘Obama’s coming to get your guns’ and/or shut down gun sales completely in response. We have a whole bunch of gullibles (and simple-minded) here. Dummies, easily led.

• July 25, 2012 at 7:38 am

Scarborough keeps asking why the President leaked classified intel and mentioned Feinstein.
      I hate Feinstein!
      That is all!

July 25, 2012 at 7:46 am

First of all Morning Joke is a lying bastard like his candidate, Mitt. Second of all Sen. Seinstein had any concerns she should have taken herself to the White House. And I don’t believe the President leak anything.

60. 204 Dudette
    July 25, 2012 at 7:30 am

My President in Cairo. CanMittMatchThis? Pretty sure he CAN’T!!

61. 206 Dudette
    July 25, 2012 at 7:34 am

I could go on, but you get the picture…