Jul

Awkward….

A British fan holds a Union flag over the head of Mitt Romney as he attended the morning swimming session on Day One of the London 2012 Olympic Games. Romney’s visit to London featured a string of embarrassing gaffes, including him doubting in an interview that the city was ready to host the Games, earning him a sharp public rebuke from Prime Minister David Cameron. The hashtag #RomneyShambles promptly trended on Twitter.

Even far-right British newspaper The Daily Mail – no friends of President Obama – was scathing in its assessment of Romney, describing it as an “abysmal diplomatic visit”:

…. After making the epic faux pas of questioning whether London was fully prepared to host the Olympic games, Mr Romney has been jeered on American TV and slammed by top British politicians, with London mayor Boris Johnston mocking the Massachusetts governor in front of a crowd of 60,000.

…. behind the scenes officials were even more scathing about the Republican presidential hopeful, describing his visit as a ‘car crash’ and comparing him unfavourably to Sarah Palin.

Another official who met with the former Governor of Massachusetts said he was ‘apparently devoid of charm, warmth, humour or sincerity’.

…. Another Whitehall official said of Mr Romney’s remarks: ‘What a car crash. We are speechless’ – with one aide saying the candidate was ‘worse than Sarah Palin’….

Chat away ;-)

179 Responses to “Awkward….”

1. 1 canadabarb4obama
    July 28, 2012 at 1:55 pm

first??????????

2. 18 Eveingeorgia
    July 28, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Hello

July 28, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Hey, wait for me!

4. 21 Roberta in MN
    July 28, 2012 at 1:57 pm

That one is going to viral, ya you betcha. :) Money can’t buy what the Mitt has given us this past week. Wahooo!!!!! :)

5. 22 veryslowwriter
    July 28, 2012 at 1:57 pm

From the previous thread– I was late to it.
    The story is strange but then Mitt is strange:

In Provo Utah, Romney and his wife Ann order two hot chocolates, and take them without tipping. Out of touch? Sure. But here’s where the story gets really strange:

On their way out, Anne throws away her half-consumed hot chocolate, but Mitt approaches the counter. “I know you guys can’t sell this again, but I was wondering if one of you guys wanted the rest of my hot chocolate?”

“No thanks,” one of the other baristas told him, wondering if this was some sort of bizarre joke.

“I don’t want to waste it, there’s still plenty left, it’s still perfectly good…”

According to my brother, Romney seemed genuinely confused by their refusal. His hot chocolate was so good he didn’t want to waste it, but it wasn’t so good that it was worth tipping those who made it. “I think the important part of this story isn’t the tipping,” my brother explained. “It’s that he doesn’t understand that everyone else is throwing their unused drinks away because they understand that it’s against social norms. His germs are on it, but somehow, in his mind, his millionaire saliva is good enough that it shouldn’t bother a barista of the serving class.”

• 23 Roberta in MN
      July 28, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Sad story, veryslowwriter, in the building I live with Seniors, one of them was licking a cake cutting tool and was starting to cut cake again, I had to tell her that was not sanitary, she just looked at me and left with the tool after licking it all off. I had to leave, stomach a little off balance after that.:)

• 24 Bill
      July 28, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I am convinced he has a mental disorder.

July 28, 2012 at 2:10 pm

‘ Romney seemed genuinely confused by their refusal’
      ‘he doesn’t understand …. that it’s against social norms.’

VSW, now do you see why **I**’m very happy to have Mitt out there traveling around and interacting with ‘you people’? While MSM is touting all his skills and economic expertise :roll: I’m all for we the people seeing him and his dear wife up close and personal as often as we can before the election. Your brother and those who were with him won’t forget this interaction and will be sure to pass it along. The power of that one-to-one again! ;) ;) It was Mitt himself that said we don’t truly know him, and he is/was right. Go AnnD! Go Mitt! Show us who you truly are!

• 29 Obama Grandmama
        July 28, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Is being an eletist rich billionaire = to having a mental illness?

• 30 Obama Grandmama
          July 28, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I think it is more likely he is not socially intelligent. His intelligence must be in the organizational/mathematical areas. Being the POTUS requires many intelligence areas including social intelligence.
          BTW maybe it is elitist. No spell check available.

July 28, 2012 at 3:21 pm

The word is ‘elitist’, but no sweat, OG. I would agree that Mitt ‘is not socially intelligent’ and that is part of what I was hinting at with my ‘neurological’ disorder comment. There IS a documented disorder which has as one of its symptoms the inability to read social cues. There is also documented evidence that some people with this disorder are brilliant, in at least one area. Mitt may be smart in mathematics, but the evidence shows that he really isn’t on social norms. In the end, I come to the same conclusion you did – ‘Being the POTUS requires many intelligence areas including social intelligence.’

• 32 57andfemale
          July 28, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Actually I saw a documentary this week that concluded that CEO’s and upper management business people are increasingly fitting the clinical definition of psychopath. I kid you not.

July 28, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Well, there’s one thing I don’t want coming my way in life: “Millionaire Saliva” from MittTheTwit. Thanks, but no thanks, nutcase.

6. 37 canadabarb4obama
    July 28, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Oh my goodness, first time ever; how sweet it is. And to think, I was hoping Chips would award a last prize for us Westcoast folks.

• 38 Roberta in MN
      July 28, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Congtras canadabarb4obama :)

• 39 canadabarb4obama
        July 28, 2012 at 2:03 pm

thanks, I usually just lurk as time slips away and I’m reading the blog at midnight!

July 28, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Well then an extra special first time CONGRATS to you, CB! I can tell you are already enjoying the infusion of joy this prestigious win brings.

I noticed an idea hidden in your comment – a first award for the first west coast TOD to join the party daily. :lol: Can you imagine poor Chips adding anything else to her rather crowded agenda? Of course not, but that’s the beauty of dreams, I think, they are cost effective.

7. 41 Eveingeorgia
    July 28, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Congrats, CanadaBarb!

Request: Would some of our eloquent writers please contact WaPo and decry the lies that Krauthammer (sp) has published?

Are we actively confronting every media outlet that pushes lies as truth? I think you need a fair amount of eloquence and political acumen to even merit attention from these outlets. There has been excellent push-back here at TOD. It would be great to see these rejoinders at WAPO, etc.

8. 42 LOL
    July 28, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I’m no fashionista…but what in the hell does Miss Ann have on?!?!?

• 43 Nena20409
      July 28, 2012 at 2:13 pm

One of those designer shirts like the $900.00 one she had on, many weeks ago?

At 63 yrs old, her 5 sons have 5 younger wives, she is competing with them?

The woman looks, sounds insufferable. So why not her outfit too?

• 46 Linda
      July 28, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Joseph”s Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat ?

• 47 carolyn
        July 28, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Lady Ann has obviously had a stylist work with her. Note her new haircut: The little swag over the right side, instead of all the hair falling at the same length. Eyebrows have been shaped too. I’m sure that’s a very expensive shirt, but it’s too busy. Oh well. We have our beautiful FLOTUS to admire.

July 28, 2012 at 3:59 pm

carolyn, now what is Queen Ann going to do to improve the inside, you know the heart. Sorry no stylist can fix that. “YOU PEOPLE” know that right.

• 49 Sharon
        July 28, 2012 at 6:26 pm

It comes across that way because she and Mitt are having to wear the dayglow neck pieces that identify them as rightfully at the Olympics. Note FLOTUS does not have to though her Secret Service agents do.

• 50 isonprize
      July 28, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Wow, that’s just ugly.

• 52 itgurl_29
      July 28, 2012 at 3:35 pm

That’s an ugly avant garde shirt that only a quirky avant garde fashionista could pull off. Ann looks like a plum fool in that shirt.

• July 28, 2012 at 4:09 pm

She should sue her plastic surgeon.

9. July 28, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I am always very cautious in pointing out *the* problem with someone / some cause, but this slate commentary about *why* Romney couldn’t have behaved differently in London struck me as “nail, meet hammer”:

• July 28, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Forgot: Hat Tip to BWD.

Here’s an excerpt:

The thing that Krauthammer doesn’t get is that Romney is not the sort of businessman—that his brand of capitalism is not the sort of enterprise—that requires even the most elementary understanding of diplomacy, courtesy, or sensitivity to other people’s values, lives, or perceptions.

• July 28, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Absolutely. You have be a mean SOB when you walk through the door (so to speak) and not give a shyte about people to kick them to the curb knowing they may lose their homes, health care, pension. Mitt’s only concern was making a buck and it wasn’t “personal” if people were devastated in the process.

• 57 Cha
      July 28, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Exacty, Toon. I know I was not “surprised”. Business as usual for willard. He can’t control himself.

10. July 28, 2012 at 2:13 pm

See these Flyers?-

All OFA offices have them- grab 50 and put them on Peoples Doors, once a week! Sometimes, you have a list of Doors, if you are Canvassing! Either/or!

11. 59 Nena20409
    July 28, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Opportunity with
    Better
    Advancements for
    Middle-class
    Americans

Spells
    O
    B
    A
    M
    A

My addendum to a post from the last post.

12. 62 Melissa
    July 28, 2012 at 2:28 pm

So THAT’s why my Phelps performed so poorly this morning. #Mitthitsthefan was there !! Ugh, I knew he had one last muck up in him before he left …

• 66 Linda
      July 28, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Where are you watching the swimming please

July 28, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Thanks cluny for providing the links. However, I’m not convinced that any of the accusations of PBO treating Dean badly are true. Those links are all people’s opinions and speculations, and there is no audio, or video from Dean, Rahm, Obama or Gibbs in any of these instances. These sources might be from mainstream outlets, but that doesn’t make them credible as far as the position that President Obama and his team treated Dean badly goes.

• 72 cluny
        July 28, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I think, hopefruit, that to not invite the former DNC head to the appointment of the new DNC head is pretty pointed. Sometimes actions speak louder than words. But if you’re only going to approve primary sources then I doubt any ‘tape’ or ‘audio’ of the principal players is going to emerge – not in this discussion or most of the other stories we link to. I don’t have a dog in this fight but the sequence of events as reported makes perfect sense to me but we can agree to disagree.

July 28, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I wouldn’t put not being invited to a DNC ceremony on par with stopping a major health care bill from passing. Sorry, those two things are not the same, and that is assuming that the former is in fact true – which I’m not certain of.

I don’t usually require audio or video for my “approval” in most cases of media reports, but in this particular instance, I’ve heard much speculation which seems to always come from the same sets of people. So that’s why I am cautious in my willingness to believe what I’ve read so far on this particular matter. But as you said, we can agree to disagree. I think the most important thing is that we both support this President and want him to get a second term. And that’s what most matters.

• 74 cluny
            July 28, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Just to be clear I didn’t say that: ‘not being invited to a DNC ceremony on par with stopping a major health care bill from passing’. That’s your characterisation. I have simply given the historical context for the tensions between the Obama administration and Howard Dean and argued that given that history Howard Dean is not PBO’s worst surrogate and doesn’t deserve to be dismissed so summarily. As I said to Chips I would take Howard Dean defending me over Bill Clinton, Booker or Rendell any day of the week.

• 75 Sharon
              July 28, 2012 at 8:11 pm

The tension was between Rahm and Dean. Both were wanting full credit for the House wins. Rahm, as chief of staff, held greater sway. May be more to it than this, but I think that is the basic argument. And I think Dean was far further left than what Obama knew he had to go.

13. 76 Linda
    July 28, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Dewhurst Puts Another $8 Million Into Texas GOP Primary

Texas Lt. Gov David Dewhurst has loaned his Senate campaign another $8 million of his own money, according to the Houston Chronicle. He has loaned the campaign a total of $24.5 million so far.

Dewhurst is in a stiff competition former state Solicitor General Ted Cruz. Cruz has put over $1.25 million of his own money into the race so far.

The Republican primary runoff will be held July 31.

—–

24.5 million for a less than 200k a year job.?

• July 28, 2012 at 3:33 pm

24.5 million for a chance to destroy millions of prospective futures. They consider that “power”. The gift for those who have everything.

July 28, 2012 at 4:29 pm

No wonder ‘good’ people can’t get into politics! How many average people can run for a position when they have to have this kind of money? The rich always seem to have the edge in everything. Sigh! There goes my incipient dream to explore the possibility to run for politics.

14. 80 Linda
    July 28, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Wisconsin state Sen. Tim Cullen has reconciled with the Democratic caucus and Majority Leader Mark Miller, after Cullen bolted the caucus earlier this week in a dispute over the committee chairmanships.

Cullen will co-chair a Special Committee on Mining, and chair a new Committee on Small Business and Venture Capital.

Cullen’s decision to quit the caucus earlier this week had threatened to undo the party’s narrow 17-16 majority, its biggest victory from the waves of state recall elections in which Democrats failed to unseat Republican Gov. Scott Walker.

—-

I guess he got over his temper tantrum

15. July 28, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Actress Alfre Woodard, right, grabs the hand of Calvin Libron Jr. , after rallying volunteers for President Barack Obama at campaign headquarters in Richmond, Va. , Saturday, July 28, 2012. Recent polls suggest that Obama and GOP challenger, former Gov. Mitt Romney are in a statistical dead heat in the battleground state.

16. July 28, 2012 at 3:08 pm

US First Lady Michelle Obama smiles as she attends the swimming competition at the London 2012 Olympic Games on July 28, 2012 in London.

… with Summer Sanders, sports commentator and reporter, TV show host, actress and retired Olympic gold medalist in swimming

July 28, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Glad Carl Lewis spoke out! He’s as embarrassed as the rest of us!

July 28, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Hi everyone. Just got back from our Weekend of Action voter reg….not bad, but i thought it would be bigger turnout. We were trying to register Hispanic voters especially. Lots of them weren’t able to vote here. Not to be deterred, will do it again tomorrow:) I did meet a woman that wanted to change her party from ? to Republican. When she was through, I could not help but say something to her…as a woman. She was in a scooter, had multiple health issues, and was on assistance, I’m certain.
    We engaged in polite conversation…everything that came out of her mouth was RW talking points. All of it. Now this is AZ…so the border issues were big.She knew only the lies on just about everything…but I was respectful and, to her credit…she did agree to let me email her some info….if I had a longer time to talk to her…I could have changed her mind. In fact, we began to talk about private prisons…huge here because Jan Brewer and her cohorts make some bank off those horrid things….I could almost see this woman’s face and attitude begin to change the longer we spoke about the issues that she thought she knew so well….why in fact, she knew nothing. I came home and dropped her a quick email and told her that I would love to have correspondence with her to give her some facts…the only thing I asked is that she listen with a clean slate and lose the preconceived notions that she had….but she was open to beginning her truth journey at WhiteHouse.gov….whole list of issues for her to read there. I also told her she needs to not listen to the MSM. AT ALL. If there was ever a woman that needed this President re elected, it is her.I hope we have a good email conversation….I hope her mind is open, and I hope I can share the truth with her in a way that she will connect the dots and understand what’s at stake for her. Think good thoughts for me….AND for her.

• 94 Claire
      July 28, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Thank you for your hard work!

• 99 prettyfoot58
      July 28, 2012 at 3:31 pm

DF…

i grabbed my sis and we went to a neighborhood effort as well….was alot of hustle and bustle….did door to door canvassing…not easy for a a cane walker like myself but it always enegizes me to talk to my neighbors about the President and the need to re-elect him to office…i am always encouraged to hear my neighbors tell me the reasons why they are standing with PBO……HA!

i think me and my sis will be going to the team meeting next monday….

Fireddddddddddddddd UP!!

Ready to GOOOOOO!

July 28, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Nice job, pf!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any way to get it done! Make sure that you drink plenty on your walks:)

• July 28, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Should have just asked her what the GOP have done for her and her causes in the last 50 years. It’s easy to complain; quite another thing to compare like with like, or offer practical solutions to realistic problems, as they exist today. I had a similar argument with a friend over immigration last week. Very frustrating. In the end, all her suggestions were identical to what President Obama has already laid out as his approach to immigration. It’s good to be informed, so we can push back on the nonsensical arguments from the right. Most of them are based in greed, ignorance or prejudice.

• 103 57andfemale
      July 28, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Bless you, df

19. July 28, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Afternoooooon OOOs!!!! A great getting up Saturday day in TODtown!! I’m watching the Olympics on Bravo, NBC netwrok, MSNBC. I love the summer Olympics and never miss a chance to watch them. My #2 was about 3 or 4 years old and glued to the TV when Dominique Dawes competed (even though her airtime was minimal). After that, she was bouncing off of every piece of furniture in the house. I decided to put her in gymnastics/tumbling so she wouldn’t kill herself. She stayed with it up through winning at the Junior Olympic level in tumbling. Our (yeah, me too) greatest moment came when she was able to meet and take a picture with Dominique at one of the competitions. Now we’re texting each other back and forth watching Dominique in the stands with FLOTUS.

My political take today is yippee ky yi yay (sp)!!!! No matter what you read or hear or read, PBO is leading in all demographics, except older white males. That means EVERY demographic! So in keeping with the spirit of the Olympics and tribute to my favorite gymnast (Gabby waiting in the wings) Dominique, I will perform my signature no-hand front with a double twist layout, during a back half top to bottom hang left pike, ending with a side over the mat toe touch split…..ouch…..help…..ooh…..hurts.like.hell. Ta Da!!!

• 105 carolyn
      July 28, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Older white males…..who will lose dramatically if Romney wins…….Medicare, vets’ benefits, Social Security restructured……I’m married to one, who has been for president Obama since 2004. He has never wavered. If only others could be as smart!!!

• 106 cookemom
        July 28, 2012 at 3:46 pm

The sad truth is they really don’t like Mittfit, they just can’t get past PBO in the WH. It’s an abomination to them, that PBO and his family are walking in the halls of that great institution. To remove him from that, they’d give up their first born, never mind a few benefits.

20. 107 Cman
    July 28, 2012 at 3:23 pm

is there a way to watch the games online?

21. 115 cluny
    July 28, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Oz coverage showing FLOTUS images – unlike the Romney’s who they never mentioned or showed earlier in the day as I was watching. Ha!

22. 117 LOL
    July 28, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Interesting…..Can anyone from the twitter world get Mark Knollers reaction on this? Since he Loves to Bash PBO on his fundraisers
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————–

Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney, who touched down here Saturday night for a day of meetings with top Israeli and Palestinian leaders, plans to wrap up his visit to Israel by collecting money from some of his biggest benefactors behind closed doors.

Some of Romney’s Jewish donors are flying here from the United States to attend the Jerusalem fundraiser on Monday morning, including Las Vegas casino mogul Sheldon Adelson, who has pledged to personally give tens of millions of dollars to a pro-Romney super PAC.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

23. 136 nospin
    July 28, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Romney to media – my word and our agreement doesn’t mean shyte.

“Romney bans media from Jerusalem fundraiser, violating pre-established protocol

But Romney’s campaign announced Saturday that it would block the news media from covering the event, which will be held at the King David Hotel. The campaign’s decision to close the fundraiser to the press violates the ground rules it negotiated with news organizations in April, when Romney wrapped up the Republican nomination and began opening some of his finance events to the news media. Pressed repeatedly by reporters to offer an explanation, Gorka said only that the fundraiser was “closed press.”

“That’s all I’ve got for you ”

• 137 Bill
      July 28, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Not one peep in protest will be heard from the MSM.

• July 28, 2012 at 4:10 pm

But, they still love Him, even though he shits on them and gives them No access.
      Again, why do they favor Him over the President?

• 144 cookemom
      July 28, 2012 at 4:46 pm

this is good imo. either they will stop covering him altogether (not likely), or they will eventually have to call him on it, or stories like this one makes them look stupid. Remember how the press loved the BBQs at the McIfIFeedThemTheyWillLoveMe? Well, they turned on him pretty quickly, when it became obvious, they had backed a loser.

24. July 28, 2012 at 4:07 pm

25. July 28, 2012 at 4:17 pm

26. 147 Ladyhawke
    July 28, 2012 at 4:19 pm

A Few Talking Points As You Face the Frothing Conservative Rage on Israel

By: Sarah Jones

—————————————-

With Obama having gotten 78% of the American Jewish vote in 2008, Romney is doing all he can to chase after that vote. As we know when Mitt is around, there is no low too low and he doesn’t care who he hurts to get what he wants. Those qualities contribute to the narrative he’s establishing that he is a diplomatic nightmare and is best left to the boardroom picking over the carcasses of starving American small businesses rather than pursuing posing as a shambles of a statesman.

As Romney heads to Israel, you no doubt will be bombarded by frothing rage of conservatives telling you that Obama has killed Israel, etc. Lest you be taken aback by the venom, I’ve prepared a few talking points for you. But first, in case you thought this was an easy peasy trip for Romney, let’s review what’s at stake for the players.

—————————————-

27. July 28, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Ummm, they found a Canyon the size of the great Grand Canyon, underneath Antarctica.

You can count me out, I am
    Not doing Recon!

That is all!

July 28, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Ah…this must’ve been the Obama ‘Saturday Surprise’ that the Repubs were afraid of!

July 28, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Well, if they wait just a little longer…maybe all the ice in Antarctica will melt and the canyon will be exposed. I think that Republicans are working on that scenario. Global warming? What global warming?

28. 152 Ladyhawke
    July 28, 2012 at 4:24 pm

OPEN MOUTH INSERT FOOT

Romney Blames Obama For Arab Spring

By Peter Fegan

———————————-

July can’t end fast enough for Mitt Romney. Between the Obama campaign’s relentless barrage of negative ads about his mysterious involvement at Bain Capital and his refusal to release more of his tax returns, to the comments he made in London concerning England’s preparedness for the Olympics, if ever there was a guy who needed a reset button more it’s dear old Mittens.

And now, to make matters worse, the former governor of Massachusetts has stuck his foot so far down his throat with his latest gaffe, it will take an ear, nose and throat specialist days to extricate it.

According to a piece in The Huffington Post, Romney did an interview with Israel Hayom (a conservative Israeli newspaper), in which he is quoted as saying that the Arab Spring, now going on throughout the Middle East, could’ve been prevented if Barack Obama had just followed George Bush’s lead in the region.

—————————————

29. 164 Tally
    July 28, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Had an industry thing last night, so I’m watching the opening ceremonies now (I love my DVR SO MUCH!) – WOW WOW WOW. Danny Boyle is NEXT LEVEL AWESOME. I knew I needed a UK fix badly, I didn’t realize just how bad until now. I’ve got the miles, I just don’t have the $$$. DAMMIT! I can haz hot UK hubby plz kai thx. :D

Chips – thank you so much for those AWESOME Michelle/Becks photos. So fun!!

HRM is such a good sport – that was so great with Mr. Bond!

30. July 28, 2012 at 4:35 pm

McCain us watering down cybersecurity. Does not feel that homeland Security should be monitoring Private infrastructure Companies, from cyber attacks.
    I think, McCain wants an attack on our infrastructure, it would then justify the massive Spending the GOP wants on national defense.
    Yup yup!

31. 166 Tally
    July 28, 2012 at 4:44 pm

July 28, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Even if he’s not demented, just the sheer stress of campaigning might be getting to him. I don’t think he bargained that it would be this tough – he assumed that by now Obama would have been so unpopular that people would just want to hand anyone else the Presidency on a platter. He’s probably shocked to see that he’s lagging so far behind among women, Jews, LGBT, Hispanics, Youth, etc.

After all, the media told him that all of these groups were abandoning Obama in droves, and he believed the MSM’s lies!

32. July 28, 2012 at 4:56 pm

33. 172 Tally
    July 28, 2012 at 5:05 pm

• 173 daisydem
      July 28, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Does he have SS detail? And if so, why would he. He has not been officially declared the Republican candidate which only happens at the convention?

• 175 Linda
        July 28, 2012 at 5:27 pm

The presidential nominee from each major party is automatically offered Secret Service protection, but candidates can request protection earlier if they meet certain criteria and are approved by the Department of Homeland Security and a congressional advisory committee.

The Secret Service does not comment on the specific reasons for granting a candidate early protection, but typically, there has to be a “credible threat” to the candidate’s safety. Several prominent or controversial candidates, including Jesse Jackson, Edward Kennedy, Pat Robertson and Barack Obama, received early Secret Service protection in past elections.

• 176 ChristiMTL
        July 28, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Yes he does, since January I think. I just saw a photo of him in Israel…the red carpet treatment…..as someone pointed out, PO was an elected official when he was running, Romney is a private citizen….unemployed ha!…..the way it’s going, it could be chaos at the convention.

July 28, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Good question but, remember Tally, we aren’t supposed to care about taxpayer dollars unless it’s PBO making those trips!! That’s what Mark Knoller told me.

34. 179 Elle in MI
    July 30, 2012 at 6:56 am

Which is probably one of the reasons why McCain said he picked Palin because she was a the BETTER candidate…SMH & LOL

RSS Steve Benen