Jul

Game, Set & Match

First lady Michelle Obama watches the women’s singles tennis match between Serena Williams of the U.S. and Jelena Jankovic of Serbia at the All England Lawn Tennis Club during the London 2012 Olympics Games, July 28

.. with Venus Williams and former gymnast Dominique Dawes

Serena Williams gives a thumbs up gesture toward her sister Venus and first lady Michelle Obama after she defeated Serbia’s Jelena Jankovic

Coming up:

Monday: The President will participate in an Ambassador Credentialing Ceremony at the White House. In the afternoon, he will travel to New York City for campaign events and return to Washington, DC at night.

Tuesday: The President will attend meetings at the White House.

Wednesday: The President will travel to Mansfield, Ohio and Akron, Ohio for campaign events. He will return to Washington, DC at night.

Thursday: The President will travel to Orlando, Florida and Leesburg, Virginia for campaign events. He will return to Washington, DC in the evening.

Friday: The President will attend meetings at the White House.

Chat away ;-)

185 Responses to “Game, Set & Match”

1. 1 Roberta in MN
    July 28, 2012 at 10:15 am

1st?

• July 28, 2012 at 10:20 am

Mornin’ Roberta. Congrats on 1st.

• July 28, 2012 at 10:22 am

Hellooooooooooo Roberta ;-)

July 28, 2012 at 11:21 am

Lovely picture of FLOTUS watching tennis today.

• 5 Roberta in MN
        July 28, 2012 at 11:53 am

Thanks Chips, just getting back on line. I watched the opening ceremonies that I taped llast night. they would have been great if the commenters would have shut there mouths. :) Anyway, I haven’t been on the last thread to see what was going on yet. Been a busy lady this AM. Love Love that picture. they are so darned cute together. Thank YOU again. (((hugs)))

2. 6 Proud Former White House Intern
    July 28, 2012 at 10:15 am

Yay love it!

3. 7 Roberta in MN
    July 28, 2012 at 10:15 am

IM Whoot!!! :) Morning Chips

4. July 28, 2012 at 10:23 am

We spent so must time responding to what mitt is doing. Mitt is not the problem the media is the problem. If mitt win it will be the media doing not mitt. You all are looking at peanut which is Mitt, he’s not the big fish, the fight is not with Obama and Mitt, It Obama vs Media.
    Attack the Media people, We have to bring them down, Mitt can do and said what ever the hell he want, because the Media got his back. Open your eyes and see the fight is Obama vs Media not Mitt. Attack the media every day every hour every min. Let them know we’ll not blind to what they are doing. We have to get the word out that the Media is trying to become the(smile) POTUS by electing Mitt. They are pushing MItt down our throat. I tell people and show them that the Media is trying to get Mitt elected, plus I email the media about the lies they tell almost every day.

July 28, 2012 at 10:33 am

I’m re-posting my reply from the previous post. You’re right dun. Most of my negative posts on this blog and elsewhere are directed squarely at the media. And that includes some of the MSM pundits and columnists that are supposedly on “PBO’s side” whatever that means.

• 14 Puddin'
      July 28, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I ttally agree with you on this one…MSM is so bad that I oftentimes turn them off…I dn’t get mad at them anymore. I think they are foolish, foolish I tell ya…I mean, if that gaffe machine robme was to win, they must know that they will lose over 50% of their viewers/readers!! They can do what they do, but we got GOD on are side and Presdent Obama is going to win…he will be our 45th President.

5. July 28, 2012 at 10:24 am

Hey TOD family, I keep hearing about the problems/missteps/issues with Obama and Great Britain. I thought the relationship was warm, supportive and productive. Have I missed something over the last few months?? Not trying to stir up a hornet’s nest. I’m just wondering/curious what the heck the righties are talking about.

July 28, 2012 at 10:29 am

Please cite the source of your info, and if that info is coming from “the righties,” then I’m thinking perhaps we should take that in the same context as we take reports of our President’s “birth in Kenya.”

• July 28, 2012 at 10:33 am

Oh, I was watching Joe Scarborough (I know, a moment of insanity) and his crew talk about Mitt Romney and this disastrous trip. They were talking about a ‘missed opportunity because of the many problems with Obama/England/ blah, blah. Howard Dean was on panel as well and didn’t say dit to counter.

• 18 utaustinliberal
          July 28, 2012 at 10:40 am

99.9% of what passes as analysis from Joe Scarborough is pure crap. The man makes up stuff for a living. Romney had a disastrous reception in London when he displayed his ignorance and insulted the host country. So what does Joe do? Try to deflect attention from Mitt the Twit by spewing nonsense about Pres. Obama.

The media is so obvious in their bias against Pres. Obama. He’s received more negative coverage than any modern previous presidents.

July 28, 2012 at 10:41 am

Okay – thanks. Joe Scarborough is a tool and almost never has anything positive to say about President Obama, and he will LIE if necessary to push a point. I honestly don’t consider Howard Dean to be a strong Obama supporter, he’s not been the most consistent in his defense and support of PBO’s policies and presidency in general.

President Obama has had very successful relations with Britain and UK support for PBO is 80%. That is what the MSM is upset about.

• July 28, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Don’t mind anyone who says American/British relations are bad. Find pictures of David Cameron and Pres.Obama when they are together. They look like old friends. They look very comfortable with each other.

• 22 amk for obama
      July 28, 2012 at 10:34 am

More than the mitt the twit ? At this point, anything and everything that comes from the american rw are unfiltered lies.

• July 28, 2012 at 10:36 am

What “problems/missteps/issues”?? Looks like PBO’s relationship with Cameron is pretty solid, considering Cameron’s a Conservative. I think the righties you’ve been reading must be referring to Willard ;-)

• July 28, 2012 at 10:38 am

I don’t know what was nutty…their comments (to be expected) OR the fact that Howard Dean sat there and didn’t counter it with facts.

• July 28, 2012 at 10:41 am

When it comes to supporting the President, Howard can be, eh, a little inconsistent, but if he made no effort at all to counter that crap with truth, that’s seriously pathetic.

July 28, 2012 at 10:47 am

That’s right. Howard Dean, like many “Democrats” who seem to be given a lot of face time on cable TV, have their own agendas, much of which does not necessarily correspond to that of PBO and 98% of ordinary Americans. Many of these are failed or struggling politicians (e.g., Rendell, Spitzer, Ford) who are resentful of PBO’s seeming overnight rise to the top office, and Republicans and the MSM exploit that resentment to the fullest.

• 28 carolyn
            July 28, 2012 at 10:47 am

Also, Joe doesn’t really have a very large audience. Only political junkies like us watch him from what I read. Howard Dean is really interested in domestic policies. International affairs are not his realm. Not to excuse him, but I hear him defend President Obama on domestic issues frequently. His interest is domestic.

• 29 June Cleaver 2.0
              July 28, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Joe Scarburough’s ratings must be even lower since Current tv added Bill Press. I use to watch morning joe when joe was not on, now I never watch it. I can imagine others are like me. I forget to watch morning joe. And I love Stephanie Miller. MSNBC should be spanked for a lot of their so-called liberal shows.

• July 28, 2012 at 10:48 am

That’s what I thought. First thing came to mind, was, ‘wow, thanks Howard…then…nice hair dye job’. It’s all good. This is what I get when I peek into the looney bin.

• July 28, 2012 at 11:47 am

I was sent a link to an article (led to HuffPuffPo) that was all about how the conservatives in UK have their “head with Romney and their heart with PBO.” In other words, they love, admire and respect PBO even though they are conservatives and are not terribly impressed with Romney, like “who cares?” I won’t link it here but you can probably go and find it at that swamp. It was a couple of days ago.

• 32 veryslowwriter
          July 28, 2012 at 1:17 pm

This is, if you’ll pardon me, complete bullshit. The only conservatives in Britain who like Mitt are the hidebound Colonel Blimp types who have zero power. Conservatives in Britain are not like US “conservatives.” For example, Cameron supports marriage equaity. I’m sure the Tories would like to strangle the NHS but they don’t dare. The Conservatives in the UK and Canada are probably more like bluedog Democrats in the US. (Harper in Canada has said he does not want to reopen the discussion on abortion. Same-sex marriage is settled. And NO politician gets near the health system because it’s so popular.)

Among the people who “matter” — PBO is very popular.

I love how FLOTUS casually mentioned that she thought the Brits “know what they’re doing” re: the Olympics. Oh yeah!

• 34 Obama Grandmama
      July 28, 2012 at 12:00 pm

The only possible criticisms of PBO that I remember concerning England have to do with Michelle touching the Queen on her back and the Churchill bust being moved out of the Oval Office. In the former criticism it was countered with the queen touched Michelle first indicating it was okay. The second about the bust is still being talked about although the bust was on loan to GW Bush and it was appropriately returned either to England or the English Embassy (although I have also heard it is still in the WH.)

Oh, I forgot there was a flack about the gifts given to the Queen too. It was a petty criticism.

• 35 FiredUpInCA
        July 28, 2012 at 12:18 pm

We all got hoodwinked by that Big Lie from conservatives who are afflicted with Obama Derangement Syndrome.

The Churchill bust was never sent back. It was moved to the President’s and First Lady’s residence. Here is a Daily Kos link showing the President examining the bust with David Cameron on the prime minister’s recent visit to the White House.

July 28, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I won’t link it here, but now Mediaite has a “statement” they claimed to have received from an “unnamed British Embassy spokesperson” who said that the bust was returned to the British Ambassador’s Residence in 2009 after Obama took office. Therefore, Mediaite concludes that that Krauthammer was right and the WH (Pfeiffer) was wrong.

Now they are saying that there were two copies of the bust – an original and a replica. The WH retained the replica and returned the original which was originally loaned to the Bush wh until the end of his term in 2009. Either way, Krauthammer is still wrong.

July 28, 2012 at 1:49 pm

When FLOTUS touch the Queen, remember this we are not talking about the candidate’s spouse, we are talking about the man who is running for President. And Mitt Romney has been in politics for many many years, FLOTUS was new to the scene. So the right wing haters is full of alot of B.S. when they try to excuse Mitt Romney big flop in London, and the media is too.

6. 40 carolyn
    July 28, 2012 at 10:29 am

More media propaganda. There have been no Obama missteps with England. Do these people remember the State Dinner the Obamas had for Cameron? Do they remember the warm relationship seen between the two men? The triumphant speech the President gave in Westminster Hall last spring? The first U.S. President ever invited to do so? Don’t believe the lies. The Queen loves both the Obamas. They actually stayed AT Buckingham Palace last spring. Usually the President stays at the American Embassy. The President and the Prime Minister have a very good working relationship. Remember the Obamas’ triumphal tour of Ireland last spring? This is another example of the bought and paid for media lies.

• July 28, 2012 at 10:35 am

Thanks Carolyn…That’s what I remembered as well…vividly. I was looking at them and thinking, ‘what the f…’ are they talking about??? I thought I had a moment of being under a rock. :)

• July 28, 2012 at 11:47 am

I remember when they first met for a summit and PBO offered Cameron a ride on AF1. Love at first sight. Duh.

• 43 Obama Grandmama
      July 28, 2012 at 12:03 pm

The RW is trying to even out the blunders for Mitt. The English press even had quotes from their Conservative leaders about their head was with Romney but their heart was with Obama. Pretty rare the opposite side would say that their heart was with him.

July 28, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Mitt Romney insulted the people of London. When he said they couldn’t handle the Olympics. When did President Obama insult the people of London?

• 45 Lb4Obama
          July 28, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I have dared to tune in FukNews to see what Rove and Luntz’ talking point of the day/issue is and they are practically running a loop of PBO’ state visit to the UK in 2011 (I think) where he started making a toast at the dinner while the British national anthem began to play. He started the toast a little prematurely and then made one if his cute quips once the song ended and continued his toast. The crowd was with him and everyone chuckled, including her Majesty. That is the big “Obama is an ass too” comparison they are desparetly trying to sell their ignorant sheeple viewers. Sad thing is they buy it as usual. Hook, line and sinker! Ughhhhh!

7. 46 Linda
    July 28, 2012 at 10:36 am

wolfblitzer Just got to Israel. Will interview @MittRomney for @CNNSitRoom Monday 4-7PM ET. Still time to send me suggested questions.

8. 60 carolyn
    July 28, 2012 at 10:44 am

Here’s one Wolf: “What in the world do you think you’re doing coming to Israel as a person with no elected office, and thinking you can represent the U.S.? Do you have ANY idea what you’re doing? Why don’t you just go home to Utah and stay there, as PM Cameron would say “in the middle of nowhere”????
    I think it’s very important to keep repeating that Romney at this time has NO official standing. When President Obama went four years ago, he was an elected U.S. Senator. Romney is a FORMER governor, and hasn’t been anything for six years, just a vulture capitalist. Romney presumes too much. He and his tea have NO understanding of international affairs.

• 61 carolyn
      July 28, 2012 at 10:48 am

Oops…missed letter. “He and his team” My computer misses the “m” if I don’t hit the key hard.

• 62 99ts
      July 28, 2012 at 10:49 am

Thanks Carolyn – when the media talk about the President’s trip in 2008 they never mention that he was a sitting Senator – part of the US congress. Since 2006 Romney has been nothing that he will admit to – other than a political campaigner – not a very successful one at that.

• 63 susanne
      July 28, 2012 at 2:59 pm

that’s right, carolyn, and i’m getting tired of hearing the two trips treated as equals. senator obama had standing in all the nations he visited, as an elected representative of this nation.

• 64 nathkatun7
      July 28, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Well said Carolyn! I also don’t recall CNN sending Wolf to Israel to interview Senator Obama.

9. 65 Linda
    July 28, 2012 at 10:55 am

I hope he watched the movie Exodus on the flight over so he is familiar with the name ” Barak ” (Barack)

• 66 carolyn
      July 28, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Yes…..all my right wing evangelical Old Testament believing friends, don’t realize that the president’s name is a biblical name. Barak and Deborah were judges in Israel. They are so ignorant!!!

July 28, 2012 at 10:55 am

Kazakhstan won the men’s cycling, followed by Columbia and then Ukraine.

• 68 Obama Grandmama
      July 28, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Not so sure I would like to hear the results this early as I am watching Men’s Cycling at present. Telling the results before we get to see it ruins watching the race.

July 28, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Sorry about this Grandmama. I’ve been kinda posting results for the women’s bb team below as well, so I will stop doing that. Also If you have a twitter don’t go there because the results are reported and tweeted!

11. 70 ourmanflint
    July 28, 2012 at 11:14 am

Yeah!!!

• 73 amk for obama
      July 28, 2012 at 11:29 am

That’s a cool report.

July 28, 2012 at 11:41 am

I think that glowing UK report REALLY bothered the US media – they’ve not had a single positive report about FLOTUS, but instead have paid RW trolls on their online news sites hurling all kinds of insults at our First Lady.

July 28, 2012 at 11:38 am

// CNN) – The Ron Paul 2012 campaign is preparing to challenge the entire slate of Louisiana’s 46 delegates selected to attend the Republican National Convention next month in Tampa, Florida.

Paul’s campaign asserts the final list of delegates released Friday that were selected during the state party’s convention last month were chosen against the rules. At the time, Paul supporters held their own rump convention, or protest vote, in the same room, which composed a majority of those attending. //

This is how the “enthusiasm” for Romney is playing out…

13. 81 cluny
    July 28, 2012 at 11:43 am

Hi all – just catching up on the conversation. If Ann Romney jumped on a plane to Israel i’m sure it’s because she knows she won’t be getting any press whilst Michelle Obama is in town. Once FLOTUS leaves she’ll be right back to London! I think they learnt taht they can’t compete with MO. Also just wanted to make a comment on Howard Dean – who I think is a great surrogate for the Democrats. He hasn’t always been treated well by team O and in my opinion he still defends them better than most of their ‘close’ surrogates. There are a lot of people who should be called out but Howard Dean isn’t one of them in my opinion.
    RE Wolf Blitzer – if he has a twitter account shall we bombard him with the question ‘ are you going to ask Mitt if he has his tax returns stashed away in Israel” or something cleverer along those lines?

• 82 cluny
      July 28, 2012 at 12:02 pm

JER has the perfect tweet to send:

Maybe Wolf could ask Rmoney if he lost his tax returns in Israel.

July 28, 2012 at 12:39 pm

“He hasn’t always been treated well by team O”

With all due respect and to the best of my knowledge, this is not true, is a professional left talking point, and I would like you to cite evidence of this when you make claims like that.

• 84 cluny
        July 28, 2012 at 1:39 pm

In 2004 Robert Gibbs was part of a group set up specifically to knock out the Dean Presidential candidacy. By 2008 Dean was head of the DNC and the Obama campaign won the Democratic nomination – all good and all worked well together. Howard Dean was supposedly on the short list for the HHS Cabinet position in PBO’s administration. In the end the job went to Kathleen Sebelius – a pity as Howard Dean is a great fighter and a better communicator than Kathleen Sebelius (who is also great but just not good on tv abd at the time they needed a fighter). The kicker was Howard Dean’s rocky relationship with Rahm Emanuel. When PBO hosted his appointment of Tim Kaine as the new head of the DNC Howard Dean, the outgoing head, was not invited to the party. At the time speculation was raised that Rahm had nixed Dr Dean’s invitation (I do not know for sure but I assume this was the case). Now there is nothing about PBO that screams petty but this incident was a little ‘mean girls’ I thought as well as being tactically stupid. It pissed of the base from day 1 and created unnecessary conflict. Given all that history and the justified rage that the O campaign felt over ‘kill the bill’ comments it is a wonder that Howard Dean is as supportive as he is. I do not blame Howard Dean or PBO – I think Rahm fucked this one up and before everyone rushes to defend Rahm – while he is a PBO ‘insider’ he’s also a middle of the road Clintonite who created enormous problems for PBO’s first term. I still believe they would have done better on the health care fight if they’d had a better spokesperson (like Dean) and Plouffe in the White House for the first term. Plouffe is the smartest of the PBO advisors. Rahm was a big mistake – sometimes childish and petty where he should have shut the fuck up. Has everyone forgotten all those stories Rahm ‘leaked’ to the newspapers over the Health Care situation?

• July 28, 2012 at 1:48 pm

“Given all that history and the justified rage that the O campaign felt over ‘kill the bill’ comments it is a wonder that Howard Dean is as supportive as he is.”

Is that not back to front Cluny? Isn’t it a wonder that Howard Dean has not been completely ostracized after his ‘Kill the Bill’ escapade??

• 86 cluny
            July 28, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I think they both have reason to be pissed with each other but the point is they are working for something bigger than themselves – health care is something both PBO and Howard Dean care about and the best thing is for them to be able to work together for the greater good. PBO isn’t spiteful and neither is Howard Dean. And honestly Chips I’d take Howard Dean defending me over Bill Clinton, Booker or Rendell any day of the week. Onward!

• July 28, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Ah, true Cluny – anyone would be better than Bill or Booker! Fortunately for planet earth, PBO is a little more forgiving than me, I’d have thrown Howard ‘Kill the Bill’ Dean out with the trash. :???:

• 88 Puddin'
                July 28, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Me too! PBO is a great leader and I am trying to learn by his example, but I am afraid I am going to need one more term because I am just not there yet…Bill, Rendell, Howard and that “snake head” from New Orleans could all go…well I won’t say where they can go…

July 28, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Sorry cluny, but your post is filled with professional left type speculation and innuendo, and much of what you say is based on rumor and speculation from the likes of Arianna Huffington and her ilk. I’m not sure who you are referring to when you talk about an incident that “pissed off the base from day 1″ because the people who claimed to have been the “pissed off base” were not PBO’s base, but conditional emoprog “supporters” who staked their positions on “holding his feet to the fire” and making threats to stay home and not vote in 2012 for the slightest perceived offense.

Most importantly, you still haven’t cited your information with a single credible source. I’m waiting for those citations.

• July 28, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Can’t agree on Dean, Cluny – his ‘Kill the Bill’ opposition to the ACA was, to me, unforgivable, I’d have ostracized him permanently after that. I think his heart has always been in the right place, but there’s too much of the puritanical ideologue about him, ie the kind of politician who talks the pure talk, but never actually gets anything done for real people. No wonder the Firebaggers love him.

• 92 Zekke LyDonna
      July 28, 2012 at 9:14 pm

I am also a big Howard Dean Fan. He is the first candidate I ever donated money to. I was disappointed when he advocated killing the bill, but he came around to agree with PBO, unlike some of the purists. He is very knowledgeable, especially regarding Health Care Reform, and he is virtually unflappable. He never used personal insults against PBO, which i appreciate. Even when I disagree with some of my fellow Democrats, I am willing to listen to their point-of-view, unless they insult my President. Then, Fuck ‘em.

• July 28, 2012 at 9:17 pm

“Even when I disagree with some of my fellow Democrats, I am willing to listen to their point-of-view, unless they insult my President. Then, Fuck ‘em.”

:lol: Love ya Zekke!!!

14. July 28, 2012 at 11:48 am

15. 95 Vicki
    July 28, 2012 at 11:55 am

On the unlikely event of Mittiot’s trip to Israel getting him any Jewish votes a jokester o nDK commented that the only problem PBO has with Jewish voters is that there aren’t enough of us. That is the “emes” (truth in Yiddish/Hebrew) as we say.

July 28, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Ha! :)

• 97 57andfemale
      July 28, 2012 at 12:38 pm

This absurd notion that us American Jews take our marching orders from aipac and Joe !iebrrman has been disproved in poll after poll. A little less blind allegiance to Israel and less trigger happy politicians is welcome. we want peaceful solutions in the Mideast. Israel is not going away and neither are the Palestinians and the Muslim countries. It’s time to get over these ridiculous expectations from both sides. Methinks I speak more for American Jews than Sheldon Adelson.

• 98 isonprize
        July 28, 2012 at 1:45 pm

57, I am heartened to hear that! There’s a similar notion with the black community. Like when some small (like 5!) group of ministers got together and made a statement against same-sex marriage, the media went ballistic with the news.

Meanwhile, most black folks have too many things to deal with to worry about “who’s kissin’ who”. Some of our greatest champions have been gay. Granted, back in the day, it was an ‘open secret’ but still, most blacks could care less. Yet still, the media acts as it there is this huge hatred of gays in the black community. #MediaFail

• 99 Left-Indie
          July 28, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I think the American Jewish Right is taking a page from the NRA. If, like the NRA, you’re absolutist in your demands it will help you move the goal post. Conceal carry just about anywhere, assualts weapons by the truck loads, and guns into bars. Few decades ago, no one would’ve though that possible. And on the Jewish right, no compromise on the expansion of settlements, create facts on the ground that will move the negotiating goal post. These guys could teach liberals a few things. Most Jewish Americans might feel like 57, most NRA members might be moderate, but the demands of these “advacates” carry the day, all day long.

• 100 Zekke LyDonna
            July 28, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Netanyahu is the one who insulted PBO in the first place. He trashed our President in front of Congress. He is a radical right-wing asshole. Even Israeli’s hate this bastard.

• 101 Puddin'
        July 28, 2012 at 9:14 pm

From what I have read and heard, 57 you are speaking for a lot of Jews in Israel, too.

• 102 57andfemale
          July 29, 2012 at 12:25 pm

And yet, when they vote they vote in wingnuts, just like here. It’s maddening.

I am not a practicing Jew but I have vivid memories of my Jewish upbringing. The emphasis was on morality (before the RWNJ’s gave morality a negative connotation), rather than spiritual. I was taught from my earliest years in Jewish education that the Bible was not literal, but instructive of moral ideas. Most important, I was taught to THINK, to question, and that if I was to be judged by God, it would be by my choices and how I treated my fellow man. This was not Reformed Judaism, but the middle denomination, ‘Conservative’.

When I see Israelis behave the way they’ve been treated for millennia, I believe that Jews should know better. But I also understand that the preservation of Israel is in our DNA, and the idea of its destruction is too horrific to contemplate. But it is true over the last 70 years, that this mutual destruction does not work.

July 28, 2012 at 11:56 am

So far in first Quarter – Women’s BB – Team USA- 6; Team Croatia – 0

July 28, 2012 at 12:08 pm

2nd Quarter-Women’s BB – Team USA – 17; Team Croatia – 7

July 28, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Lovely photo of our First Lady. Love her clothes so much. What a fine representative of the United States of America at the Olympics!

July 28, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Damn..Croatia scored gour 3-pointers in a row…bringing them to 20 vs 21 for USA.

20. 108 donna dem 4 obama
    July 28, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Bravo will be interviewing FLOTUS soon. The announcer said he spoke with her after the Serena match. They just interviewed Serena and she said she was nervous and excited to play in front of Mrs. O. She said it was so cool having her there and that she was happy to get a hug from her.

Stay tuned. I’m not sure when the FLOTUS interview will take place…

21. July 28, 2012 at 12:26 pm

President Barack Obama returns to the White House after playing basketball at the nearby FBI building in Washington, July 28

22. 116 FiredUpInCA
    July 28, 2012 at 12:26 pm

“A Gallup poll finds Jewish registered voters supporting the president by 68 percent to 25 for Romney.

The numbers represent a slip for Romney from a June Gallup poll which found him at 29 percent to Obama’s 64 percent support among Jewish voters.”

In fairness, I must state “the poll though still shows a drop from Obama’s 78 percent in the 2008 election,” but give me a break, 25%?! for Romney, ON THE EVE of his visit to Israel?

• July 28, 2012 at 12:45 pm

78% Jewish Support in 08? I thought it was in the high 60s? At any rate, most Jewish constituency are from Miami/Dade area and are staunch Democrats. Debbie Wasserman Schultz constituency. I have a feeling, Debbie is going to personally let all the Seniors down there, know about the ACA benefits and the Ryan Medicare plan!

• 118 Linda
        July 28, 2012 at 1:06 pm

78 % is from the exit polling in 2008……that is not a good comparison, but I am not surprised the writer from The Hill would distort that…and not note it in the article.

23. July 28, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Sorry, couldn’t resist:

24. July 28, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Damn USA women basketball are getting whipped by Croatia!!! come on USA

July 28, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Forgive me TODobots. This is the kind of free speech that leaves me speechless yet reminds me that trying to reach out is a must. It makes me want to exercise MY free speech right, but in a saner way in order to provide some balance.

26. July 28, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I hope this link works; it’s a very funny shot at Romney.

27. 133 edwina3
    July 28, 2012 at 1:05 pm

The Romneyshambles road tour. Onto use, apparently he said thT

28. 134 edwina3
    July 28, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Ok posted the above by accident, here’s the link:

ROMNEY IN ISRAEL: “GOVERNMENTS SHOULD SPEND LIKE JEWS”

• 135 edwina3
      July 28, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I think that link is satire

• 136 carolyn
        July 28, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I’m probably pretty dense…….I don’t get it! Satire? of what? Has he actually spoken, or is this someone’s imagination?

• July 28, 2012 at 1:19 pm

It’s satire Carolyn, presumably designed to show how utterly clueless he is – but it’s hard to be satirical about Willard because the truth is wackier than anything you could make up. Unfortunately, some are spreading this on Twitter as news.

• July 28, 2012 at 1:14 pm

That HAS to be satire!! Surely! If it is …. people need to STOP spreading it on Twitter as news!

• 139 Linda
      July 28, 2012 at 1:15 pm

It is satire…….and pretty lame .

• 140 carolyn
        July 28, 2012 at 1:21 pm

okay, I don’t feel so stupid then! This is a made up event, with a made up speech and made up reactions…..pretty lame as Linda said. Has the myth even arrived in Israel?

• 141 carolyn
          July 28, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I carefully read the blog title “The Desperate Blogger: faux and balanced news you can almost believe.” The writer says what it is….shows what happens when people don’t read the full context!

• 142 Vicki
      July 28, 2012 at 1:30 pm

This IS satire and I was laughing out loud.

29. July 28, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Cool!

A pair of red, white and blue basketball sneakers unloaded by a White House staff, sits on a cooler as President Barack Obama arrives back at the White House in Washington after playing basketball Saturday, July 28, 2012.

30. 149 4morefor44
    July 28, 2012 at 1:13 pm

looks like others have been wondering what i’ve been wondering too…how exactly did rmoney “save the 2002 olympics?”

(lots of info in the comments too)

no clear answers…looks shady and lots of backroom deals. the olympics didn’t need “saving” after some bribing came to light by a couple guys on a committee (one of whom is now a big rmoney supporter!). this was hardly something that was going to ruin the olympics and they in fact had already started to handle it before rmoney decided to force himself into the situation, which never would of happened if the olympics weren’t in a mormon-controlled state by the way. rmoney was crafting this false storyline before he even got the job, and like all republicans, is exploiting it for as long as the media helps him do it (looking at you bob costas!). everything the mittbot does is a joke.

31. July 28, 2012 at 1:17 pm

July 28, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Is this true or is this a satire site? ‘Romney in Israel: “Governments should spend like Jews” ‘. It’s still a ‘funny’ read even if not quite true.

33. 158 ChristiMTL
    July 28, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Someone wrote a good diary in kos about the interview the ignoramus gave to the RW newspaper just before leaving for UK.

I think the interview was posted here yesterday because I read it…..

Israel: Romney, Walking Gaffe-Man, Insults America’s Mid-East Allies

After reading the diary and the interview a second time….I realize that something is very very disturbing about the way he phrase his comments. Obviously the content is very disturbing as well but….

He always use WE and not I…..so We imply what exactly? We, the American people??….who’s the WE?….it’s insane.

”We’re disappointed in seeing Tunisia and Morocco elect Islamist governments”

”We’re very concerned in seeing the new leader in Egypt as an Islamist leader.”

What a dangerous ignorant man he is.

• July 28, 2012 at 1:36 pm

It’s the “Royal we”. That paper seemed very supportive of him. It sounded like a pretty extreme right-wing paper.

• 160 ChristiMTL
        July 28, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Romney told the conservative Israeli News, owned by Rightwinger Sheldon Adelson, “Israel Hayom” that he is “very concerned” about the “Islamic Leaders” being elected in the Mid-East.

The guy who gives millions and millions to Romney’s campaign

• 162 Linda
      July 28, 2012 at 1:41 pm

We = His Bush era neocon foreign policy advisers.

34. July 28, 2012 at 1:37 pm

How rude! He must have zero friends!

• 165 Nena20409
      July 28, 2012 at 1:50 pm

His Only job is to report on pres Obama. His endless tweets are just showing CBS.com or whatever outfit he works for that his fluffyness is at least doing his “JOB”?

Or

Mark Knoller loves the gratification that he generates, derives from all the IMAGINARY friends he THINKS he has from all the tweets he gets and from all who follow HIM?

My goodness, I listened to his questions yesterday directed at Jay Carney at the WH presser and I came to the conclusion above.

So firiends, we already know who he is. We push back, may I suggest that we do not exercise ourselves over this man. He needs Us, more that WE need him. Mark Knoller is just not that important, period.

July 28, 2012 at 1:53 pm

The only time he reports on the GOP is when they attack Obama with lies, distortions, omissions, etc. And he happily spreads their lies by simply tweeting their words without show of disapproval whatsoever. Yet when it comes to reporting PBO’s positions, he always feels the need to show his disapproval by being sarcastic or making some other objectionable remark.

July 28, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Actually I’m beginning to suspect that Knoller is paid for the number of OBAMA HOURS/events he reports on. Makes little sense to me otherwise that he’d relentlessly point out these little nitpicky bits of tallying day after day after day!

Also, I’ve wondered lately if Mark’s become ‘bolder’ because his lawyers have somehow silenced Snark’s free speech. I just have this feeling that Snark was doing too good a job showing up mark’s weakness as a reporter that they found a way to stop him/her from using his picture and the similarity of names. I’m hoping Snark will copyright a new name, create his/her own picture, and return to do his/her signature take down.

• 169 FiredUpInCA
      July 28, 2012 at 4:47 pm

The President’s number one groupie is due for some serious withdrawals in 2016, after the President ends his second term. I wouldn’t be surprised if he decides to retire. I wish he would retroactively retire now.

35. 170 nospin
    July 28, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Really cool picture of O-b-a-m-a

36. 175 Linda
    July 28, 2012 at 1:53 pm

The US broadcaster NBC is facing growing criticism after editing their delayed coverage of the London 2012 opening ceremony to replace the “memorial wall” tribute section with a Ryan Seacrest interview with Michael Phelps.

NBC, exclusive holders of the US rights to the Games, chose to broadcast the entire ceremony on a time-delay to maximise primetime advertising revenue, and were further criticised for refusing to provide a live online stream.

NBC’s broadcast, which began as the live ceremony was finishing in London, left out sections including the reflective moment when the Scottish singer Emeli Sandé sang Abide with Me.

The section included images of loved ones lost by those in the stadium, and was also widely interpreted as a tribute to the 52 victims of the 7/7 terrorist attacks in London in 2005.

On the BBC’s coverage, commentator Hazel Irvine said: “The excitement of that moment in Singapore seven years ago when London won the Games was tempered with great sorrow the very next day, with the events on 7 July.”

However NBC instead cut away in order to show Seacrest, the host of American Idol, interview Phelps.

Criticism of NBC’s handling of the broadcast rights comes after it revealed its advertising income from the event has passed $1bn (£630m). It earned $850m from the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

In reaction to complaints over the lack of a live stream from the ceremony, NBC said: “We are live streaming every sporting event, all 32 sports and all 302 medals … The opening and closing ceremonies, however, are entertainment spectacles.

• 176 Sharon
      July 28, 2012 at 5:27 pm

I watched opening ceremony on NBC and was really disappointed. You really couldn’t hear any of the music except as a din in the background including Paul McCarthy. Too many commercials breaks. The athletes were moving fast and after each break they squeezed in the ones that were missed. I really like to see all of them not just the flag bearer. Such joyous faces of young people obviously delighted to be there no matter what nation they come from. Didn’t get a good look at them at normal speed, even worse on makeup.

Only bright spots were President Obama’s ad “I Believe” and an all too brief shot of Michelle Obama when the American team came in. Cringed at the shot of the Romneys and Williams plug for how he saved the Olympics in 2002.

37. 177 veryslowwriter
    July 28, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Here’s a truly bizarre story that actually appears to be true:

At a store in Provo, Utah, Romney and his wife Ann order two hot chocolates, and take them without tipping. Out of touch? Sure. But here’s where the story gets really strange:

On their way out, Anne throws away her half-consumed hot chocolate, but Mitt approaches the counter. “I know you guys can’t sell this again, but I was wondering if one of you guys wanted the rest of my hot chocolate?”

“No thanks,” one of the other baristas told him, wondering if this was some sort of bizarre joke.

“I don’t want to waste it, there’s still plenty left, it’s still perfectly good…”

According to my brother, Romney seemed genuinely confused by their refusal. His hot chocolate was so good he didn’t want to waste it, but it wasn’t so good that it was worth tipping those who made it. “I think the important part of this story isn’t the tipping,” my brother explained. “It’s that he doesn’t understand that everyone else is throwing their unused drinks away because they understand that it’s against social norms. His germs are on it, but somehow, in his mind, his millionaire saliva is good enough that it shouldn’t bother a barista of the serving class.”

• 178 susanne
      July 28, 2012 at 3:23 pm

well, and he probably thinks the servants are starving, because that’s the way you keep them working. and he’s demonstrating his largesse by offering them ‘perfectly good’ used food. you know, so they don’t have to dig it out of the trash to drink it.

38. July 28, 2012 at 1:57 pm

How can The President have Red, White and Blue Sneakers? But, but, but I heard that He is Foreign and Hates America and…

39. July 28, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I’ve been amused this week to hear the pundits on the right state that Mitt’s mistakes are not “serious gaffes”. They went ballistic a few years back about Barack bowing to foreign heads of state, giving them gifts that were not good enough etc. Now Michelle is beyond charming, Mitt has managed to unify the British against him…schadenfreude time for me.

July 28, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Romney bans media from Jerusalem fundraiser, violating pre-established protocol

// JERUSALEM — Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney, who touched down here Saturday night for a day of meetings with top Israeli and Palestinian leaders, plans to wrap up his visit to Israel by collecting money from some of his biggest benefactors behind closed doors.
    Some of Romney’s Jewish donors are flying here from the United States to attend the Jerusalem fundraiser on Monday morning, including Las Vegas casino mogul Sheldon Adelson, who has pledged to personally give tens of millions of dollars to a pro-Romney super PAC.

GOP presidential hopeful Mitt Romney and his wife, Ann, at the Opening Ceremonies of the 2012 Olympic Summer Games in London on Saturday. (Toby Melville – AP) But Romney’s campaign announced Saturday that it would block the news media from covering the event, which will be held at the King David Hotel. The campaign’s decision to close the fundraiser to the press violates the ground rules it negotiated with news organizations in April, when Romney wrapped up the Republican nomination and began opening some of his finance events to the news. //

RSS Steve Benen