Jul

“I love Michelle”

The Age: Serena Williams sure has friends in high places. Usually, the 14-time grand slam winner’s supporters’ box is populated by family members but for her first-round Olympics match on Saturday there was an addition to the cast: the American first lady, Michelle Obama.

The US president’s wife was a guest of Williams, who won her fifth Wimbledon singles title three weeks ago, preferring to sit in the players’ box rather than the Royal Box, where dignitaries are usually planted at the All England Club.

And after the US president’s wife sat alongside Williams’ mother, Oracene Price, inside the Centre Court it was quickly obvious the two were not exactly strangers.

The 30-year-old twice referred to the first lady as simply “Michelle” during her post-match news conference, having disposed of Serbia’s former world No.1 Jelena Jankovic 6-3 6-1 with little drama on Saturday.

“Oops, am I being rude?” Williams said when asked whether she was on first-name basis with Mrs Obama. “She’s so cool. I’ve met her several times. I feel comfortable saying ‘Michelle,’ and I think she wants the people to feel that way.

“They asked me did I mind if she sat in the family box. I was like, ‘of course not’. Please, it would be my honour. I mean, I love Michelle.”

170 Responses to ““I love Michelle””

1. 11 57andFemale
    July 28, 2012 at 5:24 pm

2nd?

July 28, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Congrats africa on #1, and 57andFemale on #2!

3. 13 eiresicilia
    July 28, 2012 at 5:26 pm

well, me also….what an honor for Williams!

• 15 Bill
      July 28, 2012 at 5:36 pm

It is hilarious that Bibi denied to Vanity Fair that he and Mitt the Twit were as close as Willard claimed.

• July 28, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I understand why these ads have to be made, no problem at all, but my very special dream …. before the end of PBO’s second term the plight of the Palestinians is given more thought. They’re victims in all of this madness too.

• 17 a4alice
        July 28, 2012 at 6:05 pm

i agree with you on that Chips. Did you ever see Michael Franti’s documentary “I Know I’m Not Alone”? We saw it a couple of years ago now at some local bowling alley. It’s his journey through Palestine, Isreal and Iraq. It’s pretty amazing stuff. Hmm here’s the link if you’re interested.

• 19 Pamela
        July 28, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Agree, Chipsticks, I suspect there are more than a few really big issues to tackle that must have to wait to second term, as no one wants to touch them! I have something in mind, but will not mention it, just to test my intuition. If I am correct, I will be sure to let you know! :)

• July 28, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Please do Pamela! Japa made this point the other day, we just have to accept some issues – like Israel/Palestine – are impossible to deal with in a first term, that’s just the way things are. But I truly believe PBO is the President to make a major breakthrough on this, I think he would see it as one of the finest legacies he could leave behind. I remain hopeful!

• 21 smilingl8dy
          July 28, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I feel pretty strongly about Israel being brought before the United Nations & treated as the terrorist nation they are without the USA lying to protect them. They do not respect this country. BiBi could easily be a Chicago/NY Mafioso! He is definitely a crook! His “outraged ignorance” makes me sick to my stomach! The Palestinians are living under apartheid every day, their children are killed, denied medical care, education and even water or any other dignity of life!

• 22 dotster3
            July 28, 2012 at 6:44 pm

It’s been a few years —like 50 or 75—-since there was any mafia presence in Chgo. I’m sticking up for my area city—–a great city, way above Bibi by any measure.

• July 28, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I agree – it’s one thing to stand by an ally, but then we shouldn’t rant and rave at the UN over Russia’s stance with respect to Syria. I’m torn over the Israel support. I understand the need to be resolute, but it drives me crazy that we worry about Israeli children suffering, but we don’t seem to worry about Palestinian children suffering – none of them asked for this mess.

There’s a video from ABC News that was shown right after the inauguration (Jan 22, 2009), where Jim Sciutto (a reporter who now works for Ambassador Locke in China) talked to kids around the world, and they shared their hopes for the Obama presidency. The only link I found is on Newsbusters, so I don’t want to share it here, but they end with all the kids saying, “yes, we can”. It’s quite touching, because you have kids from Palestine, France, Israel, United Arab Emirates and other countries, all wishing for the same things in their lives – to be recognized as human beings, and given a chance to fulfill their potential. It’s definitely worth watching, to put a human face to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Google “Sciutto yes we can 2009″ to find the footage. Just don’t read the right wing nonsense in the article.

• July 28, 2012 at 8:50 pm

4. 26 edwina3
    July 28, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I see that even Halperin is pissed off at Romney for blocking press access in Israel . Boy, when your lapdogs are whining, you know it’s bad.

• 27 isonprize
      July 28, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Maybe NOW they will stop carrying R-money’s water?

……..Naaaaaaah.

• 28 JER
      July 28, 2012 at 5:50 pm

• 29 COS
        July 28, 2012 at 6:02 pm

This is so much different than PBO and Gibbs. I remember when Gibbs fought for the press to enter a meeting when PBO was meeting with the Chinese. How does this man expect to become president with his lack of transparency? doesn’t the press pay to travel with the candidates?

July 28, 2012 at 6:15 pm

COS – Your memory is great! You reminded me of the way Robert Gibbs got the press in that meeting, which I’d forgotten – he’s a fighter!

• 31 HZ
            July 28, 2012 at 11:47 pm

COS and jacquelineoboomer, I also remember that moment that Robert Gibbs stood up for the press to enter. And remember how Gibbs was very professional, but he did not let up at that doorway. Thanks for bringing that point up. Our entire team are fighters!!!! HZ

• 33 a4alice
        July 28, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Seriously! According to the article they negotiated this in April – oooooh just another jacked up day for Mr. MoneyPants. Bah ha ha

• 34 utaustinliberal
        July 28, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I guess this was the so called Saturday Surprise the Obama team (rumors from the Romney team) were supposed to level on the Romney team. :roll: Romney just showed himself to be a jerk again. He can’t even keep a simple promise/agreement he made with his traveling press.

On the other hand, Hahahahahaaahaha to the press who like carrying water for him.

• July 28, 2012 at 5:54 pm

:lol: Love it, Edwina!

• 39 Pamela
      July 28, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Myth MisTruth is up to no good, and this is exactly how he has operated all along. The most wonderful thing about earning our karma is that we end up with no one to blame but ourselves. That is, if we are honest. Which he is not, but karma will have her way, she always does. It is the Way of the Universe.

• July 28, 2012 at 7:10 pm

5. 41 edwina3
    July 28, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Halperin’s tweet:

“Best way 2 get back in control of narrative? Drag press corps 1/2 way around the world+change the coverage rules. Not. ti.me/N41m48″

Marky haz a sad

6. July 28, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Not sure if this has been posted yet – I’m just catching up. But, here’s an interesting article about some of the hidden messages in last night’s Olympic Opening Ceremony, including why “Hey Jude” might have been picked for the event’s last song. Brilliant!

7. 51 Cman
    July 28, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Guys. I was just doing some call for OFA and got a really nice lady who was lean Obama. We had a nice ole conversation and I asked why lean? What reservations does she have about Obama. She said gay marriage…

I didn’t know what to say. I mean I tried to make the point that it is a civil rights issue and people should be able to love who they love. But, I just felt like I was not getting through. Any ideas?

• July 28, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Sounds like you said all you could Cman, if someone can’t accept it’s a civil rights issues then it’s hard to know what could persuade them. I’d just ask them if they wanted to be on the right side of history, or join those through the ages who opposed civil rights and equality at every turn for every race, gender and creed. And ask them if their opposition to equality is religion-based – and if so, do they really think their God would be so intolerant? But maybe if their decision on who they will vote for is based entirely on which candidate will deny a section of the community basic rights, there’s simply no hope for them. Let them go.

• 53 Bill
      July 28, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Maybe tell her that “marriage” under discussion is a civil, legal matter, and it is not forcing any church to recognize any marriage it is not comfortable by its beliefs to accept.

• 56 Nena20409
      July 28, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Pres is the pres for all and has to make sure that everyone is treated equally regardless to how some many feel religiously for his job is not for our religious salvation but for our Constitutional protection. He has to president 1st and foremost, not pastor in chief.

Hope that might help, just in case another one might have that issue in the future.

July 28, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Cman, what I tell people is we don’t have to agree with President Obama on everything. And if anyone listen to the President, he said that was his opinion, he’s not trying to force anyone else to believe what he believes.If gay marriage is holding this lady back, then why is she not offended by a liar. Mitt Romney lies even when he doesn’t have too. I’m sure there is someone with a better answer that what I said, but i trust this President.

July 28, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Cman you gave a good response about civil rights to the nice lady. One other suggestion that you could use in general for people like that is to have them list all the things they support about PBO, and ask them whether they think it’s worth it to give up all those things just for a single issue that is unlikely to ever impact them directly.

Another suggestion is to have them go through a “worse case scenario” where they imagine that the President had just signed an executive order enforcing the very thing that they are against — then what would it mean for them personally, their family, their lives…how would it decrease their quality of life, their finances, taxes, their health, children’s education, their neighborhoods, etc They will probably have some ideas that are not supported by facts, but by false beliefs, then you can gently present the facts to them..for example, in the case of SSM, repealing DOMA actually decreases overall costs by eliminating employer compliance costs, healthcare costs, the deficit and the cost to the government in the long run. That means more money for other important things like Social Security, Medicare, Education, etc.

• 59 Bill
      July 28, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Another point is that if you do not believe in gay marriage do not marry someone of the same sex.

To add a little levity, someone once said gays should be allowed to get married so they will be as miserable as everyone else. However, I do not agree with that reason.

• 60 dotster3
        July 28, 2012 at 7:26 pm

And I can never figure out why anyone else’s lifestyle is a concern. Down the road a piece from my house lives a nice lesbian couple. They have a beautiful home, are meticulous in the upkeep etc. etc. etc. In the meantime, I’m a few doors down still happily married, still able to function as usual, not affected by their relationship one teeny tiny bit.

• July 28, 2012 at 7:01 pm

you could tell her that the President was telling his personal opinion, and that he respects hers.

• 62 nospin
      July 28, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Hi Cman – I would keep it simple. Focus on our laws and the Constitution.

Tell her the President like most in America believes in our Constitution which dictates everyone should have access to the same rights and not be discriminated against. The President is representing ALL the people and in that context it is the right thing to do. It is not about a personal belief and no one is asking that anyone to give up their personal beliefs. This is about doing the right thing based on our laws. The Constitution is clear and discrimination in any form is wrong. In that context the President has the responsibility to ensure that all citizens are treated equally. That is the core of the issue.

• 63 prettyfoot58
      July 28, 2012 at 8:47 pm

what i say is that …there are so many things that i support the President on….and that i focus on what we have in common…and what we would lose if he is not re-elected….and i ask her to do the same

i try not to challenge their beliefs…but i ask them to rally with the President on the 50 other issues that they agree with him on….
      and to give a thought of what it would mean if Romney won…how many of those issues would be in danger…..
      Forwardddddddddddddddddd

8. July 28, 2012 at 6:05 pm

http://www.boomantribune.com/story/2012/7/28/102448/411 This post is so on IT! Myth is a featherweight! PBO is a man of majesty! I just love the serenity and insight in the cheap babbling called “prognostication”! It is disgusting!

9. 65 smilingl8dy
    July 28, 2012 at 6:09 pm

This post is perfect!! Everything in here is true plus some. Not only did they disrespect the audience but there was a whole stunning tribute to victims of violence that they cut out altogether. They also, I think. deliberately cut out small and/or nations of color. We did not get to see their magnificent native customs (which they spent $1000 on for international TV) or hear anything about their contenders! I think the FCC should get 100x of letters/email of protest!! I am definitely doing it! (http://www.fcc.gov/comments)

• 66 a4alice
      July 28, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I just came back from reading Bob Cesca and I gotta say that’s what I thought. They were yacking yacking yacking and I thought, wow. it’s the Thanksgiving Day Parade! Where’s my breakfast? gah!

10. July 28, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Re: picture of Romney on the previous thread. We’ve probably all been in situations like that. We smile for the camera when someone behind us is doing something goofy. That picture of Romney, however, seems metaphoric of a larger dynamic. He seems so oblivious. Not just in that picture with a not-so Anglo-Saxon (!) Birtish girl holding the British flag above his head. It just seems to classic Romney. Oblivious to so much about regular people. Other people. “You” people.

I can understand why he wouldn’t look at any of the reporters when he got on the plane for Israel. He’s not used to not being the Golden Boy. He’s not used to anyone demeaning him. Asking him questions. Making fun of him. Getting SO much bad press when he seems to have expected the kind of reception PBO got in 2008. Well, I doubt he expected that! But he certainly never imagined he would receive anything but utmost respect. After all, he’s rich, really rich. And good looking (in his own mind). And has the golden touch. And it’s the Olympics, for Peter’s sakes!!

He just seems so oblivious.

11. 69 Lorraine
    July 28, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Romney picks Michael he loses, First Lady Michelle picks the USA and wins.

12. July 28, 2012 at 6:15 pm

“I love Michelle”

Me too, Serena. Me too.

13. 72 57andFemale
    July 28, 2012 at 6:28 pm

“No American is dedicating as much of his money to defeat President Obama as Sheldon Adelson, the casino magnate who also happens to have made more money in the last three years than any other American. ”

• July 28, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Then maybe it’s something else driving his donations?

• July 28, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Adelson needs to buy protection and votes in Congress because he is likely in BIG trouble having violated US and international laws with his corrupt practices with his monstrously large casino in Macau. He might be in trouble with Chinese authorities as well. One hundred million is chump change given he’s a billionaire and could be in such serious trouble.

• 75 Obama Grandmama
          July 29, 2012 at 2:37 am

I have come to the realization that my youngest daughter worked for Adelson while in college and a few years after that. I had not heard of him then. She went to UNLV and majored in performing arts/musical performance. (OPERA) She studied in Italy and Austria her Jr year.

When she went back to school at UNLV her Sr year she also worked at The Venetian as a gondoleer. She sang Italian arias while steering people around in a gondola. She didn’t stay long there as there were no benefits and no sick leave or days off. After a couple of years working elsewhere after she graduated she decided to go to Cosmetology School but did not want to take another loan out. Actors, singers, and dancers usually need something else to fall back on when not in a current production.

She joined the gondoleers going to Macau China for a couple of years inorder to save enough to pay for school when she got back. She said the first year was excellent as they had room and board included, but the contract changed the second year eliminating a lot of the benefits and requiring them to train others from the Philapines as their replacements to do the job cheaper. I am proud of her for saving her money and completing Cosmetology school with the money she saved after getting her undergrad BA at UNLV.

I remember going to Vegas to visit her and going on a gondoleer ride with her singing to me. I also remember going into the employee area. It was like being in a very ritzy place (the main part of the Venetian Hotel) opening a door and entering a third world country where the employees were allowed. I was using the restroom in the employee area when the door opened to my stall as I am sitting on the toilet and the cleaner changed the paper roll and mopped the floor with me sitting there with my mouth open on the toilet. So much for privacy. The employee area had such a different feel than the guest area.

14. 76 cluny
    July 28, 2012 at 6:29 pm

My feeling re Romney’s ‘weirdness’ (and I hope I don’t offend anyone so apologies in advance) has to do with his high Mormonism – being one of the bigs in the church, etc. It seems like the only social contact he has is with his ginormous family and other rich, important Mormons. He lives in a massive bubble – has no clue about how to relate to people and I’m guessing he’s been like this for most of his life. Add to that his inferiority, daddy complex, equal parts entitlement and the fact that he’s probably domineered his staff and expected everyone to defer to him, slavish devotion to accumulating great gobs of money and you end up with something … Romneylike – in short – not quite human.

• 77 carolyn
      July 28, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Also, Mormons are very secretive about their temple and their rituals. They grow up guarding their secrets from the”gentiles”….everyone who is not a Mormon. I’ve known and worked with a number. This seems to be a trait they cultivate. They are much like Masons, or Shriners in their secretiveness, and many of their rituals are variations on Masonic rituals. I don’t think he will ever divulge his taxes or his true financial worth. Secretiveness is bred in the bone with Mormons.

• 78 dotster3
        July 28, 2012 at 7:42 pm

And “lying for the Lord”, as a means to an end, and to maintain secrets, is A-OK. I know we’re not supposed to mention it, but I think Mormonism defines Romney. It’s who he is.

• 79 susanne
          July 28, 2012 at 7:52 pm

i don’t know why we’re not supposed to mention it. the rethugs are constantly talking about pbo’s supposed muslim heritage (not true), his radical black-power christianity (not true), and his atheism (not true). rmoney is actually a mormon, and presumably not ashamed of that fact. so why is it off limits?

July 28, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Because Chips asked us not to bring that here.

• 81 susanne
              July 28, 2012 at 8:01 pm

well, that’s good enough for me, then! i will not mention it again here. and i agree it is not appropriate to talk about it when conversing with voters in the community. at home, however…..gotta say, it does come up.

• July 28, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Ah, thanks DF. I honestly don’t want to act like a dictatorial dick here – :???: – I’m just seriously uncomfortable with the blog ever being host to attacks on any religion at all, no matter what it is. As I keep saying, there’s an endless pile of stuff to attack Willard on, I’d just love if we could keep his religion out of it. There are, I think, seriously weird aspects to all religions, including the one I was born in to (Catholicism), so people in glass houses….? So, let’s leave religion out of it??

July 28, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Donna you are the most creative O’bot on the planet. Thanks!!

July 28, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Oops looks like my comment wound up in the wrong spot! This is in response to Donna dem’s comment below.

• July 28, 2012 at 8:07 pm

thank you for this. the whole ‘ lying for the Lord’ explains how Willard can fucking lie everytime he opens his mouth, but supposedly, it’s ok

• 86 Nena20409
      July 28, 2012 at 7:00 pm

The fact that the late Anne Frank has been baptized 10 Times by the Mormon Temple and the president’s late Mother, Ann , make my skin crawl. The fact that pres Obama’s 20 yrs with Rev Wright dominated the media for months in 2008, YET, Willard Mitterrand Romney, an ordained BISHOP in the Mormon Temple for 10 yrs has never, Not once been asked or brought about by a Journalist irks me to No end.

Then Romney’s secrecy and lies drive me insane. This election, many Mormon youths are being used as canvassers, instead of as missionaries. The 10% contributions the Mormons are required to give are tax deductible. My little Mass offerings are not. The media would NOT cover any of these.

July 28, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I can’t remember the pastor name who was supporting Santorum, but he call Mormon a cult. I sense disrespect from Mitt Romney toward President Obama, and I think that has something to do with his religion. The way Mormons felt about black people.

• 88 Bill
          July 28, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Pastor Robert Jeffress of Dallas

July 28, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Bill, now he is supporting that man who’s a member of a cult according to him. Speaks volume of these people, doesn’t it? We all know they would support anything other that black guy.

15. July 28, 2012 at 6:32 pm

THIS.

CBS’ Mark Knoller Whitewashes Bush From 2009 Deficit

CBS News White House correspondent Mark Knoller whitewashed former President Bush’s role in creating $1.2 trillion in deficit for the 2009 fiscal year, instead blaming President Obama for every penny of debt increase since “the day Mr. Obama took office.” But the Congressional Budget Office had already projected $1.2 trillion in deficit before Obama took office, based entirely on Bush’s actions and economic conditions.

• 91 nathkatun7
      July 29, 2012 at 12:47 am

CBS should drop all pretenses of being a respectable news outlet. Employing a propagandist like Mark Knoller tells me all I want to know about CBS. But then again, CBS is not alone. It seems that for the most part (with minor exception here and there) the entire mainstream broadcast media have decided to to act as the propaganda arm of the Romney campaign. I had to turn off NBC’s broadcast of the opening day of the Olympics after they kept going on about Romney saving the Salt Lake Olympics. In my view, that was a free ad that should be reported FEC as NBC’s in-kind political contribution to Mitt Romney.

16. 92 57andFemale
    July 28, 2012 at 6:32 pm

17. 95 cluny
    July 28, 2012 at 6:38 pm

UNMASKED!

18. July 28, 2012 at 6:46 pm

19. 97 carolyn
    July 28, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Received an email today from Axe…many of you probably did too. The subject was “I’m damn proud.” It was positive, noting the need to meet Romney’s total, but touting our donations and telling us how proud he is of our participation, and he knows we will come through. I liked the positive note, not the bullying of Carville. I respond to that. I’ll give again, for Axe and POTUS, and for our country.

July 28, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Yes, Axelrod’s tone was much more uplifting and encouraging without being unrealistic :)

20. 99 LOL
    July 28, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Now this is just cruel…. This picture is almost as brutal as the coffee lady Mitt “charmed”

21. July 28, 2012 at 7:12 pm

22. 101 lamh35
    July 28, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Question, does anyone know of a website/organization/program/phone number/etc that helps people pay for or get discounted medication?

My mother right now does not have insurance and if/until she gets medicaid, she has some really expensive heart & diabetes meds that she needs to take daily.

• 102 SeptemberSandy
      July 28, 2012 at 7:22 pm

lamh35 – There are some drug companies that offer meds for a limited time to individuals who are unable to pay for them. You may want to contact the drug company directly.

• 103 Roberta in MN
      July 28, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Check with the pharmacueticals or Montel Williams he was advertising helping seniors with drugs that people can’t afford. Haas she tried the state offices for help? God go with you. Hope it all works out for your Mother.

• 104 57andfemale
      July 28, 2012 at 7:28 pm

The drug companies have programs usually. HHS. Google ‘assistance paying for medications ‘. Tons of places came up. She should be able to find some help. Healthcare.gov will direct you to your state’s high risk pools but applying is a headache.

• 105 daisydem
        July 28, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Yes, we turned our godson who has had some unfortunate things happen (well, some due to his behavior(s) but still, onto the pharmaceutical companies’ programs and I believe he did find a way to get his prescriptions through them.

• July 28, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Call your Congressman, they should know the laws and how they help!

23. July 28, 2012 at 7:29 pm

#ADollarADaytoOFA ….

24. 110 donna dem 4 obama
    July 28, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Well I am disappointed that I couldn’t join my fellow OFA volunteers for the Day of Action. I had to attend my niece’s baby shower (family first). When I arrived my niece came and sat down next to me and the first thing she asked was, “Aunt Donna, do you work for the Obama Campaign”. I had to laugh because I knew why she was asking me this question. She reads my Facebook Wall and its all Obama all the time. :)

Now since I was feeling guilty about not volunteering today I decided to ask all the youngins if they were registered and if they plan to vote for President Obama. It was a slam dunk! 23 for PBO and 0 for Romney. Then after talking to a couple of really great young ladies I was able to get two new volunteers for the campaign. Not bad, if I have to say so myself!

Now I have decided to challenge myself with my fundraising. So here goes…

Starting today I am going to try and start a streak where I get one donation everyday for the next 100 days. The amount is not as important to me as much as getting that donation every single day until election day. I’ll need just one $3.00 donation to get me started.

Can I get that first donation to start my streak today? https://donate.barackobama.com/page/outreach/view/2012/donnanoshock3#

25. July 28, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Good job GF. Leave it to you to turn a baby shower into an Obama rally! You might want to raise your goal to $15,000.

26. 120 susanne
    July 28, 2012 at 8:05 pm

the r-money plane has landed. so sorry israel, and we sincerely hope he won’t insult you overmuch. please keep him as loooooong as you like!

‘He is also scheduled to give a foreign policy address during the late afternoon in Jerusalem, with a pooled press covering the event. Adding to the sense that Israel is a background prop for the campaign is the fact that Romney will also sit for an ABC interview from Israel.’

July 28, 2012 at 8:33 pm

All Mitt will say in his speech is it’s Obama’s fault for all the problems in the middle east. Since time began the problems over here is all Obama’s fault. And he Mitt Romney will fix everything. That’s his speech.

• 122 57andFemale
        July 28, 2012 at 8:45 pm

We’d better see some serious outrage if he disses the President on foreign soil. But if his lips are moving he’s dissing the President.

I expect every surrogate and every high level Democrat to school the American people on how outrageous that is.

27. 123 nospin
    July 28, 2012 at 8:08 pm

This is why Mitt Romney won’t take questions from the media.

28. 127 dotster3
    July 28, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Willard bans press, they’re all mad, but no mention on any newscasts, of course. Everyone is wondering what Willard is trying to keep secret—-his stupidity? his gaffe-prone rhetoric? or his super secret message to donors as was overheard by reporters at another news-banned event—–promising new tax policies, drastically reducing the Dept. of Education—goodbye public schools, hello religious and private schools—lots of money to make available to his corporate buds——and his plans to eliminate Housing and Urban Development. Great ideas, Willard! Can’t figure out why you won’t share with all.

29. 130 isonprize
    July 28, 2012 at 8:17 pm

West Wing Week 07/27/12 “A Brighter Day Is Going To Come”

30. 131 57andfemale
    July 28, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I am not a sports fan but like most people I have some interest jn the Olympics. But NBC won’t get a nanosecond of ratings from me.

• 132 isonprize
      July 28, 2012 at 8:24 pm

That’s just lame. LAME, LAME, LAME!! It may seem like a small thing, but I totally agree with you, 57, it’s not!! I watched the whole opening ceremony on a BBC link (no commercials and (thankfully) very little commentary) The ‘terror’ tribute was sobering. The whole thing was very eclectic, but the point is that they balanced the ‘good’ with the ‘bad’ – The joyous with the tragic. How DARE NBC choose to delete parts of the show?

No wonder why most Americans have no clue, NO CLUE about what happens in the rest of the world. No wonder we are called “The Ugly Americans” when we travel abroad. We, as a country, are so selfish, so arrogant, so full of ourselves.

Pres. Obama has done wonders to help other countries work their way back to some level of respect for the US. It’s stuff like this NBC ‘blackout’ that make Americans totally clueless about what goes on in the rest of the world.

• 133 57andFemale
        July 28, 2012 at 8:31 pm

I started to watch the opening ceremonies on NBC but got disgusted really soon with the AWFUL hosts and turned it off pretty early. As I said, I’m not a sports fan and I bristle at the money spent on sports when there is virtually nothing spent on the arts. But there is a global pride with the Olympics and I tune in.

But not this year. NBC will hear from me as to why. That is as small minded a reason as I can think of, but a two-bit host of a reality show gets air time. I’m thoroughly disgusted. I’m frankly sick of this current version of American exceptionalism — we are allowed to slaughter thousands in answer to our terrorist attack, when we’ve lived in virtual safety while Europe has endured terrorism for the last half of the 20th century and beyond. If ANYTHING, the Olympics should be an opportunity to teach lazy Americans that there is a big world out there, and there are horrors endured every day around the world that we are sheltered from.

Not a nanosecond of ratings from me.

• 134 isonprize
          July 28, 2012 at 9:09 pm

57, I might be wrong, but I think you would have enjoyed the opening ceremonies. I agree with your point about arts funding. But I think you would have liked the focus on literature and music and history. They were magnificent in their tribute to famous British writers and British musicians. Of course, I loved the tribute to the Great Ormond Street Hospital. The kids, docs and nurses were just great!!

• July 28, 2012 at 9:13 pm

…. and the tribute to the British National Health Service was sublime. Right wing heads exploded, which made it all the more delicious, the most “LEFTIST!!” Olympic ceremony I’ve ever seen. Magnificent!!

• 136 sherijr
            July 28, 2012 at 9:20 pm

with you isonprize- I too watched via BBC online’s stream & it was wonderful, I enjoyed every single minute- commercial free, with little commentating- and what was said was non-political and ALLL positive. It was a wonderful show on all levels.

• 137 nathkatun7
          July 29, 2012 at 1:09 am

“I started to watch the opening ceremonies on NBC but got disgusted really soon with the AWFUL hosts and turned it off pretty early.” That’s exactly what I did too, 57! I am sick and tired of media propagandist trying to manipulate me.

July 28, 2012 at 8:27 pm

That’s just shameful. They were more interested in gushing over Romney than respecting the host country by honoring their tribute.

NBC is so full of FAIL…they are now going to air the first swimming competitions with Michael Phelps but at news time 2 hrs ago they gave the results and asked viewers to mute their TVs while they carried on….

EPIC FAIL.

• 139 57andFemale
        July 28, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Coverage has been awful for years. You don’t see full events and full competitions, but what NBC decides are the ‘highights’. Nothing has improved. I was less interested than usual anyway this year because of the rotten coverage that remains unimproved.

But this was the last straw. How DARE they take a global event, and because it wasn’t our terrorist attack, it didn’t matter?!?! Outrageous.

• July 28, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Isn’t that censorship, and doesn’t that violate the very point of the Olympics? This is why the media isn’t shy about being a propaganda arm for the Republican party. They don’t even see how wrong this is, and what a disservice they do to their fellow countrymen/women by keeping them from seeing what happens in the rest of the world. I’m surprised they showed the NHS tribute at the beginning of the event.

31. July 28, 2012 at 8:21 pm

The Obama Administration has released a sweeping environmental plan for solar energy projects in California’s Mojave Desert and five other western states that aims to expedite the permitting process while protecting sensitive lands and endangered wildlife.
    The Solar Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement, released Tuesday, marks what the Departments of Interior and Energy are calling a “historic milestone” in the nation’s effort to accelerate renewable energy projects. It is the first-ever roadmap for large-scale solar energy development on lands managed by the Bureau of Land Management in California, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, and Utah.

“Renewable energy development on federal lands is essential to reaching our national clean energy goals,” said Arthur L. Haubenstock, vice president of regulatory affairs at San Francisco-based Brightsource Energy Inc., which is building the 392-megawatt Ivanpah solar complex near the California-Nevada border, about 50 miles northwest of Needles.

The plan establishes 17 solar energy zones on 285,000 acres across the six states, including more than 23,000 acres at and around Pisgah Crater near Barstow, with access to existing or planned transmission sources. Each zone was selected due to their minimal impact on the environment, which translates into a streamlining of the permitting process in order to expedite the projects.

“We’re hopeful that this detailed environmental analysis will dramatically

32. 142 lamh35
    July 28, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Hey guys.

Thanks for your help with the prescription drug assistance program.

I’ve just finished checking all the drug website and I think I may have found a way for my mom. The only thing now is that my mom is moving to NOLA in 2 weeks, all the drug company assistance program require the physicians office to fill out the paperwork and if accepted into the program, then the prescriptions will be mailed to the physician’s office. So I’m not sure if we should go ahead and get the physicians offices here in Cincy to fill out the forms, or just wait until she gets to NOLA.

The NOLA public clinics are referral only. So her physician’s in Cincy have to call the clinics send the referral information and then she can make appointments I guess.

ETA: Anyone heard of this website, it seems legit??

• 143 57andFemale
      July 28, 2012 at 8:41 pm

It sounds really good, but I see that they are affiliated with Pet Meds. Pet Meds is known for using drugs made in India, etc. that are not used for prescription by veterinarians, thereby the much lower prices.

My vet, bless his heart, is a cheap son of a bitch. But when I had to have him fill out paperwork for heartworm meds for my three dogs, he said he would match their price, even if it was at a loss to him, rather than have me get their medications. He had a new assistant who had used their flea and tick med — the ‘same’ as a name brand med, and it literally did not work. Her dogs were infested, as was her home, and it was a disaster. She then noticed the fine print on the packaging.

I’d do a search of them, and see if there are any reports out there. But yes, they sound like the answer for a lot of people. I pay out of pocket retail for my prescriptions and it’s a nightmare.

33. July 28, 2012 at 8:31 pm

34. 145 donna dem 4 obama
    July 28, 2012 at 8:36 pm

The streak is alive! Now onto day 2!

Thanks you wonderful people!!!!!

35. 146 susanne
    July 28, 2012 at 8:42 pm

title ix at the olympics: for the first time in history, all competing nations include women in their teams.

‘For the first time in Olympic history, every nation had a female competitor.

That includes three countries that sent women athletes to the Olympics for the first time, including Saudi Arabia – a hotbed of women’s rights – as well as Brunei and Qatar.

This is also the first Olympics that female athletes for the U.S. have outnumbered male athletes.’

• 147 nathkatun7
      July 29, 2012 at 1:15 am

There is absolutely no doubt that the world is changing and moving forward. Only right wingers in the U.S., and other countries, want us to go backwards.

36. July 28, 2012 at 8:43 pm

A huge percentage of Americans plan to tune in for the London Olympics over the next couple weeks, making the Games a prime opportunity for the dueling presidential campaigns to appeal to the public.

The tale of the Olympics ad tape so far: President Obama is going big and positive, the GOP is sticking with smaller, negative attacks.

On Friday, the Obama campaign announced it will debut a campaign ad aimed at the whole country during the Opening Ceremony. The following will run in a national buy Friday evening, according to the Obama campaign:

Isn’t Priorities USA supposed to have time reserved?

37. 149 daisydem
    July 28, 2012 at 8:49 pm

SO glad I watched the Opening Ceremonies on BBC (I did so because I had another engagement last night and didn’t want to miss the Olympics) but NBC will not get my viewership for the rest of the games after reading here what they are doing. This is shameful and just more of what is wrong with our MSM in this country. I sincerely hope they do not get the bid for coverage next year.

• 150 isonprize
      July 28, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Same here, Daisy dem. Gotta LOVE the interwebs!! Gotta thank the twitterverse for the link and BBC online for the COMPLETE opening ceremony. BBC’s coverage ROCKS!!! :cool:

• 151 daisydem
        July 28, 2012 at 9:35 pm

yes, no commentary, no advertisements, just ceremony. didn’t you love it when the torch came zooming down the Thames in a motorboat? loved that; I love boats!

38. 152 Dudette
    July 28, 2012 at 8:50 pm

NBC has descended to the absolute dregs. They just ran a promo for yet another reality show coming soon — this one with “celebrities” going through military drills with General Wesley Clark “hosting.” Guess who one of the “celebrities will be? If you thought we’re finally done with the Wasila Clampitts invading your TV screen (unless you’re a Faux News fan), think again. Todd Palin will be thrilling you will his manly prowess on the new show Stars Earn Strips.

And of course, you know ABC already went there last year, but they figure the public needs yet another dose of Bristol Palin, so they’re bringing her back for the Dancing with the Stars – All Stars edition.

This is why I only watch sports and politics. So much of this kind of bullshit on TV, it makes me want to throw up. Ugh! :roll:

• 153 Dudette
      July 28, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Sorry that was “Stars Earn Stripes”

• July 28, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Thanks for the warning, Dudette! Yuck.

• 155 carolyn
      July 28, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I think NBC hasn’t realized yet that people don’t have to wait for their evening coverage. There are many other options, and if they do things the way they are, by four years from now, they will have very little audience. People will not forget their shoddy coverage.

39. July 28, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I think this is Key! In each “We built that” event for Robney, the Business owners cannot separate themselves from Government help-

Undermining their whole argument!

• July 28, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Facts are irrelevant for these people.

• 158 nathkatun7
        July 29, 2012 at 1:37 am

“Facts are irrelevant for these people.”

That’s the bottom line, Theo67! That lady Smith said she does not have to read what the President said before she attacks him. All she needed was to hear what others said and then she goes full blast in attacks. What Karl Rove, Mitt Romney, the Koch brothers, and their GOP surrogates are doing to this great country is despicable! FACTS no longer matter. All you need to do now in politics is tell a lie about your opponent and the lie then becomes the basis for attacking him or her. The more money you have the more you can amplify the lie. Most importantly, you need not be concerned with the media which will never call out the lie, but will simply report it as he/ she said.

• 159 Obama Grandmama
          July 29, 2012 at 3:14 am

“Facts are irrelevant for these people.” True! I have run into that kind of situation with relatives and people I thought were friends. I also think those who send the smear emails around without checking to see if the info is true or not are in the same category. They figure if it is on internet it must be true. The internet has some great things about it but it certainly is a fast way to spread rumors and disinformation.

40. 160 Roberta in MN
    July 28, 2012 at 8:59 pm

This was a comment on Balloon Juice.. It makes a lot of sense whats your take on it.I think he has a good point.

c u n d gulag Says:

I think by now, everyone can tell that Mitt hates politics.
    HATES IT!

He hates everything to do with politics – the meet-and greets, the crowds, the intrusive (even when adulatory) MSM, the endless questioning, having to answer, and the having to explain his positions – MITT HATES EVERYTHING ABOUT POLITICS

He doesn’t like people – at least not those who aren’t in his family, or economic bracket.
    They scare him.
    They’re needy – and he knows nothing of “needs.” He only understands ‘wants.’
    Because everything, except a few political wins, he ever ‘wanted,’ he’s gotten.

He hates everything about politicking, except winning – and the power and the glory!
    Like W said, for 8 years, he was powerful, and he was famous.

And if there’s a worse reason for electing someone, I don’t think it’s ever been thought of, let alone vocalized or written.

Not only can you sense that Mitt HATES politics, and all that it involves – you can see it, feel it, and hear it – you can almost smell and taste it.

And he knows he has no real reason to explain his run for the Presidency.
    No original ideas.
    No grand plans.
    NOTHING!

Nothing except a re-run of the last 30+ years, and that he wants to succeed where his Daddy failed.
    And that he’s entitled to be President by virtue of his wealth, and that’s what a patrician should do – is be in the position that gives him, and people like him, the most power.
    To do what?
    Whatever…

He’s a man who believes in nothing – and don’t think he ever did.

Nothing except his God-given right to be President. It’s his RIGHT – goshdurnit!

And a man who believes in nothing, is capable of doing anything.

And what’s really scary is that this man who believes in nothing, except that the Presidency is his God-given right, and has nothing to offer, has as good a chance right now of being the next President as Barack Hussein Obama.

After all – Mitt’s the WHITE candidate.
    He’s the richer candidate.
    He’s got more powerful and moneyed people behind him!

And isn’t that enough?
    Sadly, it may well be.

Make that, “TRAGICALLY!”

July 28th, 2012 at 6:34 pm

• July 28, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I agree with a lot of this; especially, “And a man who believes in nothing, is capable of doing anything”.

With Mitt, I think the reason he hates the so-called “politics” is because he doesn’t understand why he should have to ask simple, common Americans for their vote. He thinks they’re irrelevant. He has grown up entitled and surrounded by followers and yes-men, that he just think that it’s possible for people to say no to him. He should get what he wants, when he wants it, without question. And if he wants to send your kids to war, you should volunteer your kids and kiss his feet for the opportunity. He seems to actually think he’s above people, as evidenced by that strange story of him offering his leftover hot chocolate to the store workers, like they would want it, or would be grateful to take his scraps – being paupers, and all.

What he doesn’t get is that the job is all about reaching out to people, and serving them. As President Obama says, it’s about waking up every day and working as hard as you can to serve the people of this country and their interests. In return, you get a salary and some perks, but your life is taken over. And you answer to the people. Romney not only doesn’t get it – he doesn’t care.

• 163 joyce
      July 28, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Very good points

• 164 Cha
      July 29, 2012 at 12:28 am

cun de gulag is always writing on Political Animal..I like what he/she has to say. Yeah willard hates having to deal with the Common Folk/AKA/”You People”. He wonders why we can’t all be multi-millionaires who made their money off the misery of other people losing their jobs..and why doesn’t everybody have a sick sociopathic streak that allows them to be pathological LIARS?!

Thx for this Roberta~

• 165 Obama Grandmama
      July 29, 2012 at 3:19 am

Remember, Miss Ann said, “It’s our turn…” Maybe she meant -You people should know it is our turn so quit asking us questions and do what we tell you and just vote us in.

41. July 28, 2012 at 9:03 pm

For people w/o TV, what is the best way to track the medal count? ESPN is difficult to navigate and I want nothing to do with NBC or CNN.

42. July 28, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Poverty across the planet will be virtually eliminated by 2030, with a rising middle class of some two billion people pushing for more rights and demanding more resources, the chief of the top U.S. intelligence analysis shop said Saturday.

If current trends continue, the 1 billion people who live on less than a dollar a day now will drop to half that number in roughly two decades, Christoper Kojm said.

“We see the rise of the global middle class going from one to two billion,” Kojm said, in a preview of the National Intelligence Council’s global forecast offered at the Aspen Security Forum in Colorado.

“Even if some of the most dire predictions of economic upheaval” in the coming years prove accurate, the intelligence council still sees “several hundred million people…entering the middle class,” Kojm said.

Only 28 more years to go, so hang in there!

43. 170 lisalovesobama
    July 28, 2012 at 9:47 pm

my cousin and I were going downtown (montego bay, Jamaica) and our taxi driver pointed out two men walking in the opposite direction of where we were driving. The taxi driver goes: “see two of those strange guys who love to walk. they go to that weird church that nobody knows about.” one guy was black, the other was white, both were wearing glasses, ties, short sleeved white shirts and black dress pants. they wore backpacks and had their umbrellas strapped to them. the taxi driver went on to say: “they’re so strange. they walk everywhere!” I said: “are they mormons?” he said “what?” I said do they go to the LDS church? and he said he didn’t know, but he always sees a lot of them walking everywhere. i just asked my aunt about it and she said they were mormons and that they are now huge here. she said they started showing up about 10 years ago!!!! wtf?!!!! Mormons are taking over Jamaica!!!! My aunt says that when they go trying to recruit people, they go into the slums and volunteer to help others like washing their clothes, etc. that they do anything they can to draw people into their church. she says they have a big church close to where my family lives. she said she wanted to go visit the church to see what it’s about because she keeps hearing people say that they are devil worshipers( she’s a deacon- almost pastor in our family church– I told her that some people in America think they are a cult. I told her they might not let her in, that in America, they only allow Mormons in their church. then i showed her pictures of the LDS churches. she was horrified! she said: “they need elevators to reach the tops of those buildings!!” ha! oy!!! why are mormons in Jamaica?