Aug

This and That

@SaraLang

Coming up:

6:15: VP Biden delivers remarks at a campaign event at the Olmstead County Fairgrounds, Rochester, Minn.

8:00: President Obama delivers remarks at a campaign event at Truckee Meadows Community College, Reno

Michael Tomasky: The addition of Paul Ryan was supposed to infuse the Romney campaign with big ideas that would be argued in big debates with the Democrats, but so far all the GOP campaign has done is grossly distort the truth.

….they muddy the waters as much as possible and lie as much as possible, and hope the press doesn’t call them on it and hope voters buy it.

…. they know that the truth would crush them electorally. And so it follows that they know they must lie. They must lie about their Medicare plans. They must lie about the effects of their tax plans on average people and rich people. And they must tell a number of lies about Obama, all the better if they involve race, as the welfare lie does.

…. the Obama campaign and the Democrats generally have to nail these guys to the wall on what their actual positions are and what the impacts of their policies will be. Romney and Ryan are terrified of a real Big Debate. Obama and Biden need to drag them into one.

Full post here

OFA

Nick Anderson

President Obama poses for a photos with students inside Sloopy’s diner in the Ohio State Student Union in Columbus, Ohio

227 Responses to “This and That”

1. 1 COS
    August 21, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Hey Chips and friends.

2. 9 Tally
    August 21, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I’m bringing this over because I CAN, and I think it’s important.

3. 12 Dudette
    August 21, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Have to share this little exchange I had recently had at a diner the other night. It reminded me of a thread we had a while back about dealing with restaurants that have FoxNews blasting.

————-
    Little out of the way place, half way between work and home.
    I walked in alone and was seated at a booth. It was pretty late, just a few other patrons in the restaurant.
    I looked up and noticed the TV facing me was on FoxNews. [Ugh!] My eyes were rolling as the waiter came over to take my drink order.
    I immediately blasted him with: “Listen, normally I’d just walk out but I’m hungry and don’t have much time. I REALLY don’t want to have to look at Fox News while I eat…” [I just knew he was gonna give me some spiel about how he can't blah, blah, blah...]
    Instead the guy smiled and interrupted me with: “Oh no problem, I’ll change it.”
    He finds the remote and switches to ESPN, looks at me for approval.
    “That’s fine, thanks” I nodded.
    He starts to walk toward the back, then turns back to my table and offers this in an almost whisper: “Ya know, Sun Tzu says the best strategy is to understand one’s enemy.”
    “Yes, I know,” I said. “Believe me, I understand those folks QUITE well. Now I’ll have the catfish filets, two eggs scrambled, with grits and wheat toast. And a glass of water. Thank you”
    —–
    See? Easy-peezy! Ask for what you want! It might not always work, but then you can take your business elsewhere. :-)

• 13 theo67
      August 21, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Excellent, Dudette! It’s surprising how “easy” it can be sometimes to stand your ground – to really stand your ground.

• 14 PoliticalJunkessa
      August 21, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Awesome!

• 15 Tally
      August 21, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Same thing happened to me Saturday night with a friend at a nice French place in my hood. We just wanted some escargot and chardonnay at the bar – but Faux was on. We asked them to change it. Owner said, “sure, just not CNN – I’ve had it taken off my satellite.” I replied, “Anything is fine but Fox News.” He couldn’t get any footy channels, so we settled on watching the Angels throw away an 8-0 lead. :cry:

4. 17 Dudette
    August 21, 2012 at 4:39 pm

That ‘RR’ graphic is OUTSTANDING!!

August 21, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Romney and now Ryan are calling on Akin to “pull out.”

Hahahahaha…..It wouldn’t surprise me if Romney had come to an agreement with Akin and just released this news bite of “GET OUT NOW” so he looks “bold and courageous.”

If Akin stays in the race, this is going to be one hilarious campaign season.

• 19 57andfemale
      August 21, 2012 at 4:49 pm

He’s toast. I’d be really surprised if he lasts the next hour……..

• 20 COS
      August 21, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Ryan is such a hypocrite. Akin is his partner in crime. I hope Akin is stubborn enough to ignore Romney and Ryan. He has those Evangelicals on his side.

August 21, 2012 at 5:13 pm

The fact that Romney waited until last minute makes Romney look weak – which he is. Romney is desperate and thinks he can solve every problem by throwing insane amounts of money at it.

• 25 nospin
      August 21, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Romney and then Ryan asked Akin to step down AFTER Rush Limbaugh told him to get step aside. So not very “bold or courageous.” You can google the story. Something about me linking directly to commentary from Rush Limbaugh that makes my stomach churn.

6. 26 57andfemale
    August 21, 2012 at 4:49 pm
  7. August 21, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Someone posted this about listening to Rush Limpballs today and it made me laugh. Like they say, u lie down with dogs, u get flees. Don’t be creating monsters if you can’t handle them when they go all Frankenstein on ur azz.

This comment at BJ made me laugh:

Violet Says:

BTW, was just in the car and decided to listen to Limbaugh. He’s got a massive sad that Akin seems to be staying in the race. He’s going on about how “everyone” knows that there aren’t different kinds of rape, and how Akin should step down for the good of the movement.

Best part was, he took a call from an older-sounding woman from MO. She said she voted for Akin and refused to agree with Limbaugh on just about everything. Limbaugh said that the only reason Akin got elected is McKaskill (sp?) both put ads up supporting Akin and also told Dems to cross over to vote for him. This caller told him “that may be true, but a bunch of Republicans voted for him. I voted for him.” Limbaugh didn’t know what to say.

Then the woman went on and said that if the Republicans forced Akin out, the voters in MO would be very unhappy. They’ve been told who to vote for before and it hasn’t worked out well. This time they chose who they wanted and the GOP should stay out of it.

Limbaugh’s tone during the whole show is hilarious. He sounds so sad and disappointed. And there’s not a damn thing he can do about it.

8. 31 Tally
    August 21, 2012 at 4:59 pm

More GOP INSANITY – this needs to go viral – help me out tweeps –

9. 32 Tally
    August 21, 2012 at 5:02 pm
  10. 33 cookemom
    August 21, 2012 at 5:04 pm

WARNING! DON”T PANIC…but Nia-Malika Henderson is on Hardball. Gird your loins!!!

11. August 21, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I just don’t understand that Wa Post Black lady, that is on tv sticking up for those who define Real Rape?
    SMH!

• 37 cookemom
      August 21, 2012 at 5:12 pm

look up above your post….I tried to warn you. btw, she has said nothing in defense of those who define real rape. She said that there are those who agree with Atkin. She never said, nor insinuated that she approved or was defending them. Like I said on a previous post, she’s in your head and you’re hearing her voice saying stuff that’s just not coming out of her mouth.

To remedy this, first make sure your TV is on. Then, make sure you’re actually watching it and Nia is the person on your screen.

• August 21, 2012 at 5:22 pm

chris m. made that Wa Post lady look and sound silly. She working for a spot on Fox News, she trying to climb up the ladder.
        Don’t look for her to be fair, Republican need more black republican women, she want to fill that spot, But she have to be tested to see if she will lie for them.

• 40 cookemom
          August 21, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I did not hear her defend Real Rape as was stated and neither did anyone else who heard her. Is she auditioning for FOX, don’t know and neither do you. She does seem to lean pub, but the charge that was leveled against her on the rape issue was not fair and not true. If we’re going to embellish, exaggerate, or falsify just to support our opinions, then we’ll be doing the same thing we so often accues others of doing.

• August 21, 2012 at 5:52 pm

When you repeat what the other side is saying, Nia malice Henderson is responsible for that.
            Especially, taking into account her past biased statements defending Robney and Ryan.
            That us your opinion and that is mine.
            Problem is, you are aching for yet another argument.
            Frankly, I am sick of arguing with Obama supporters.
            I love the President too, and yet I argue with some supporters on this site and others, just as much as I argue with tea baggers.
            Everybody raring for a fight?
            Might I suggest volunteering at a local OFA office and get rid of done of that energy.
            Hello?

They need you and everybody on this blog.

End of rant.

• August 21, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Hat is bullshit. She is a total Robney Employee.
        She reports on what the evangelicals say, like Ron Mott reports on what Ryan says.
        I would not except the job, if she or he did not feel that way.
        Just my opinion and you are entitled to yours.
        I don’t think anybody else on this blog will cone to tour defense saying Nia Malika Henderson is reasonable and Is Only reporting what she hears. She actually feels that way, just listen to her convictions.
        And btw, I get mad with any pundit that issues Robney talking points without giving a mere sentence of the other sides POV! Even Coward Fineman does that.
        Basically, this issue is not that important to get into about, who cares, frankly.
        Frivolous!!!

• 43 cookemom
          August 21, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Alrighty then, you’re upset because a reporter reports on what people are saying. Hmmm, that’s pretty good. With those standards, I doubt that there’s a reporter on earth that would do the job to your liking. You may have noticed that I don’t necessarily post comments in anticipation of a rah, rah from the good folks in TODtown. I don’t object to how you feel about her. I object to your being less than honest about what she said. You said that she was sticking up for those who define real rape. That was, as said in political jargon, patently untrue and you know it. For the benefit of those who are not watching the TV, when you give a description, at least tell it honestly.

We’re not getting into it about this are we? I’m not, we good.

• August 21, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Dont know what wrong with what you said, because it true.Jovie141. I have seen and heard this lady with mitt talking points.

• 45 Lorraine
      August 21, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Her weave is too tight.

12. 50 susanne
    August 21, 2012 at 5:11 pm

cassidy takes the ferguson/newsweek bashing to the next level: what the hell is wrong with conservatives, if all they’ve got is lies and whines?

‘These days, the right seems unable to rise above rabble-rousing. The end of the Cold War robbed it of an external enemy. The tensions between its social and economic wings robbed it of any internal cohesion. The financial crisis and Great Recession robbed it of a creed—laissez faire. It’s still got plenty of willing foot soldiers, and a lot of big money behind it, but where is the fresh thinking and intellectual direction? All that’s left is anti-government posturing, waving the flag, and Obama-bashing. And even in pursuing this limited agenda, it often gets its facts wrong.’

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/johncassidy/2012/08/niall-ferguson-vs-paul-krugman.html#ixzz24DWrqv5n

13. August 21, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Ot oh! NBC poll out at 5:30, did Ryan get a bump? LOL!

August 21, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Here are some clues to your answer:

• 55 cookemom
        August 21, 2012 at 5:19 pm

oh my…can you imagine what’s going on behind the scenes of the RR campaign.

• 58 Linda
        August 21, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I don’t understand the second one……are they talking about a bump ? Ryan is a -1 ?

August 21, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Yes, it means that adding Ryan to the ticket is a net NEGATIVE for Romney based on the polling data which says that 22% were more likely to vote for Romney, but 23% were LESS likely to vote for Romney because of Ryan now on the ticket.

14. 60 Tally
    August 21, 2012 at 5:19 pm
  15. August 21, 2012 at 5:20 pm

By JAMES HOHMANN | 8/21/12 4:45 PM

After the shooting at his D.C. office last week, Family Research Council President Tony Perkins asked the Republican platform committee Tuesday to help pressure the District of Columbia City Council to allow more people to carry guns.

Why not? Let’s reincarnate Hitler, while we are at it. They are going for broke. Not hiding the ball, like Joe lines to say. Jeepers.

• August 21, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Saw his tweet, and couldn’t believe my eyes.

What this country needs is a religious organization telling a densely populated urban area that there should be more guns. Yeah, right. And how many thousands of Americans die from bullets each year in this country?

What happened to states’ rights for the GOP? I guess DC isn’t a “real” state, it’s just a serfdom for the GOP.

August 21, 2012 at 5:21 pm

And earlier this afternoon (at 12:20PM ET), one of our Twitter friends predicted as much based on Chuck Toad’s body language :)

17. 65 lamh35
    August 21, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Wait, so Limpballs audience was calling saying that Akin should stay in and now KKKlanity’s audience is calling in saying Akin should stay in. Serves the idjits right. They’ve stroked the beast of partisan rank and file for so long that the rank and file aren’t even listening to them anymore. It’s like the Terminator movies, humans created Skynet and not Skynet has become self-aware and no longer even listens to the humans anymore.

HAHAHAHA.

• 66 cookemom
      August 21, 2012 at 5:37 pm

There was a study done on this. When the catalyst changes it’s direction or views, the followers not only disagree, but will turn on the catalyst. At that point there’s very little that can be done to convince them to get back into the fold. Case in point, PUMA during the ’08 campaign.

• August 21, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Except that the PUMAs were electorally insignificant. The vast majority of Dems supported PBO. The TP *is* the GOP base now. And it’s no longer listening to its elders. The astroturf has sprouted real roots; no, they can’t win elections on their own, but they sure as hell can lose them.

• 68 cookemom
          August 21, 2012 at 6:01 pm

You are correct. These are the Reagan religious right folks that Hillary warned us about many years ago. She caught a lot of grief for that. Reagan invited them in and they never left. They went low-key, changed their persona and with a little help from the Repub cartel, re-emerged as teabutts. They knew they were snakes when they brought them in, but played the odds that they could be tamed. You are right. It’s more like Dr. Frankenstein creating a monster that goes whacko.

• 69 Lb4Obama
        August 21, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Remember in th 08 election, from the movie Game Change? Schmidt went to McCain and asked him to talk to the Wasilla Hillbilly because she was “going rogue” on ‘em. McCain responds something like ….I can’t do that, she might turn on me and then were really fucked! Same thing here. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

18. 75 lamh35
    August 21, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I hear KKKlannity practically begging now for Akin to get out the race. Akin on KKKlannity saying he’s in it to stay. HAHAHAHA.

Its’ no laughing matter and I know this dude can still beat McCaskill, but damned if I am NOT enjoying the GOP’s disarray. And ya know later if Akin stays in, that the GOP will start giving money to him again, cause they can’t afford to lose a Senate seat. So they will once again be hypocrites!

19. 78 susanne
    August 21, 2012 at 5:26 pm

a new ad, from vote vets, in support of claire mccaskill

• 79 Dudette
      August 21, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Good one. Send them a few bucks the other day.

• 80 Obama Grandmama
      August 21, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Some Dems are not ver enthusiastic about Claire McCaskill and her voting record. I remember when Sen. Obama was just starting to run for office and had a very few supporters as most supported Hillary. Claire was one of his early on supporters. She has voted for many of his bills, but is from a state that is more Red and cannot support all of his projects. I support her and hope she gets back into the Senate.

• 81 Cha
      August 21, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Cool! That needs to get spread Around!

Thx susanne..I see you’re back from New Mexico?

20. 82 cookemom
    August 21, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Tweety teases the new poll numbers before the commercial break by saying if you’re for PBO or leaning PBO you’re gonna be happy.

21. August 21, 2012 at 5:33 pm
    • 87 susanne
      August 21, 2012 at 5:37 pm

but but but….didn’t he say he voted to send troops to war? isn’t war where they, you know, kill people? fully alive, breathing independently, sentient people?

22. 88 57andfemale
    August 21, 2012 at 5:35 pm
  23. August 21, 2012 at 5:38 pm

EDITED: FAKE ACCOUNT!

24. 106 cookemom
    August 21, 2012 at 5:39 pm

The new polls says PBO leads MisMitt in most human quality polls. Mittiful is dropping in likability factors. Chuck ‘the number guy’ Todd is digging through the weeds on hardball.

25. 107 57andfemale

Freaking awesome!

August 21, 2012 at 5:49 pm

PBO – 1
      Ryan – 0

• 116 forus50
      August 21, 2012 at 5:58 pm

So Obamacare has a 50% approval rating!! :) I know it doesn’t but it should –and WILL — once everything is fully implemented. That SCOTUS decision was so important for the future of this country. It appears larger every day now that these Mullahs from Missouri and elsewhere are attempting a takedown of rights for women, minorities, senior citizens and students.

29. August 21, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Last night I promised to share a story from a caller yesterday on Ed’s program. She was almost sobbing when she first got on. Ed did a wonderful job of settling her down. She cried through the entire call but was able to share her story. She was assaulted by TWO men 12 years ago & got pregnant. She did NOT want to have an abortion but with her age (young!) & other circumstances, she did. She had never told her story until yesterday. She moved from the town where it happened; is now married and has two children. Had not even told her husband though sure he knows now. She lives in Todd Akin’s district so his comments and the firestorm those comments have released broke the damn for her. One thing she kept repeating though sometimes with different wording, but same message was: Words have consequences and would then go on to expand on that…..how the incident changed her life; what it did to her and then hearing Akin say the things he said, as well as the other Rs. I was driving and should have pulled over because I was crying so hard. It was absolutely one of, if not the, most heart wrenching stories I have ever heard.

I know Ed has a recording of all his calls. I wish someone would contact her and if she is willing, would allow her to share her story on a larger platform.

• 118 Cha
      August 21, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Thx for sharing her story, tnmtgirl.. Rape is so traumatic..I would find it very difficult to have a baby from that assault. And, from incest would be horrifying.

August 21, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Hmmmm…..

August 21, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Hahahahahahahaha….this guy is a moron!

32. August 21, 2012 at 5:55 pm

After saying he “can’t defend” Rep. Todd Akin’s suggestion that women don’t get pregnant from rape, Mitt Romney stepped up his rebuke on Tuesday when he called on Akin to drop out of the Missouri Senate race. But archives from Romney’s previous presidential bid show that the Massachusetts Republican has historically supported the person who is the source of Akin’s theory, Dr. Jack C. Willke, the father of the antiabortion movement.

33. 130 donna dem 4 obama
    August 21, 2012 at 5:56 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Pop the popcorn this show is getting better and better by the hour.

Akin basically told Robme to mind his own business :lol: :lol: :lol:

Todd Akin on Tuesday took aim at Mitt Romney for calling on the Missouri Senate candidate to drop out of the race, saying that Romney made a bigger deal out of his comments than he needed to.

“Don’t you think Romney made a bigger deal of this than he needed to?” Akin asked Sean Hannity on his radio show. “Why couldn’t he run his race, and I’ll run mine?”

• 131 cookemom
      August 21, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I just posted this above. Imagine the convention next week. All this and we still haven’t given the nekked swimmers the press it deserved. I mean really, this is gonna be a hellava convention, and that’s before the Paulites show up.

• 132 Cha
      August 21, 2012 at 9:00 pm

You’re both freakin’ goon liars..so yeah..you stick to your shit, akin, and mitt sticks to his shit.

August 21, 2012 at 5:56 pm

LOL! Romney is up by only 3 in deep red state of Georgia.

35. August 21, 2012 at 5:57 pm
  36. August 21, 2012 at 5:58 pm

You’re gonna love this ….

37. August 21, 2012 at 5:58 pm
    August 21, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Okay, the deadline has passed. Akin is staying on the ballot.

39. August 21, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Is He in Nevada yet?

40. 150 forus50
    August 21, 2012 at 6:09 pm

This is great to see – we need to keep the Senate.

In outside spending news, two pro-Dem groups, Super PAC Majority PAC and its “non-profit” extension, Patriot Majority USA, have dropped $1.6 million into four states attacking GOP Senate candidates. Even more interesting, however, is that Patriot Majority USA is also running $500K worth of ads that specifically target the Koch brothers:http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2012/08/ad-war-update-21.html

August 21, 2012 at 6:11 pm

August was supposed to be THE month for Romney as defined by the pundits. He was supposed to pull away and gather steam in ALL the polls. Yet in 99% of polls that have been released in the past two months, Pres. Obama is CRUSHING Romney.

In the new NBC/WSJ (the snippets they’ve released) poll 50% of voters agree with Pres. Obama’s approach to Medicare. Only 34% agree with Romney-Ryan. 48% of voters have more positive feelings for Pres. Obama than the last time polled. Only 38% feel the same for Romney. 54% of voters say the more they know about Romney, the more negative feelings they have for him. This has moved up. Romney got NO positive bump on the Ryan pick. None at all. In 2008 when then Sen. Obama picked then Se. Biden he got an 8 point bump.

This Todd Akin mess will only contribute to the negative feelings. The more voters get to learn about Paul Ryan’s extremism the worse it will get for Romney.

• 152 utaustinliberal
      August 21, 2012 at 6:13 pm

p.s. PPP Polls also released a poll today that shows Pres. Obama leading Romney 50%-45% in Virginia and also leading Romney in New Mexico. This the 5th or 6th poll showing Pres. Obama with a comfortable lead in those battleground states.

• 155 susanne
      August 21, 2012 at 6:17 pm

it must be that ‘god chose to bless’ the rethugs with massive defeat.

August 21, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Team Romney-Ryan obviously don’t understand copyright laws.

Rock singer Dee Snider is incensed with Paul Ryan for playing his 1984 hit “We’re Not Gonna Take It” as his intro music at a Pennsylvania rally on Tuesday.

“I emphatically denounce Paul Ryan’s use of my band Twisted Sister’s song, ‘We’re Not Gonna Take It,’ in any capacity,” Snider told TPM in a statement relayed by his manager Tuesday. “There is almost nothing he stands for that I agree with except the use of the P90X.”

Mitt Romney and Ryan have faced complaints from musicians for using (or even just praising) their songs at events, most recently from the band Silversun Pickups. Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine also wrote an op-ed slamming Ryan after the vice presidential nominee said he enjoys his music.

A spokesman for Romney said the campaign is reviewing Snider’s request.

43. 161 edwina3
    August 21, 2012 at 6:28 pm

This is hilarious, kalli gray live-blogged the Akin error filled website launch.

44. 166 Linda
    August 21, 2012 at 6:34 pm

—–

The GOP at it again….

• 167 dotster3
      August 21, 2012 at 6:48 pm

The entire music industry should just send a cease and desist notice to the Willard campaign. Only Horrible haters Hank Williams Jr. and Ted Nugent like Willard, the groovy Davy Crockett singer.

45. 168 dotster3
    August 21, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Obama leads 48-44 in new NBC poll, has a 20 point lead in who cares about average people

46. August 21, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Oh so, 5 point swing state bump for Robney.
    Well, that makes sense? Not!
    President still ahead by 3 in swing states.

August 21, 2012 at 6:37 pm
  48. 176 Dudette
    August 21, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Who’s the bad mutha…. SHUT YO MOUTH!

[but I'm talkin' bout POTUS!] :-)

49. 183 ChristiMTL
    August 21, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Well that’s a game changer right here lol

Joe Walsh agrees with Akin & said last night he’s “pro-life with no exception

August 21, 2012 at 6:42 pm
  51. 186 Lorraine
    August 21, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Shrumie is on Reverend Al’s show and this cute fella, the next Congressman from FL, Patrick Murphy.

• 187 Vicki
      August 21, 2012 at 6:57 pm

This was a super strong segment. Obamacare protects seniors now and forever. Ending Medicare removes benefits seniors have now and gives vouchers to future seniors. NO choice at all for 99.9999% of USA.
      Cute fella Patrick Murphy, no, not the vet from PA, another Patrick Murphy, seems pretty smart, too.

• 188 lisalovesobama
      August 21, 2012 at 6:58 pm

when he wins he’ll be my congressman. can’t wait to get rid of that freak, Allen West. Guy’s a psychopath. he seriously scares me.
      ps- Shrumie was great! Set the record straight on PBO’s $716 billion Medicare savings and called WIllard out on his lies.

• 189 HZ
        August 21, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Lisa, you will get another cute one. You get the finest men. I saw that segment also, and I was very impressed with Patrick Murphy. I put him on my list. Smart also. We must get Allen West out of the Congress for sure.HZ

52. 191 Linda
    August 21, 2012 at 6:54 pm

WASHINGTON — Mitt Romney started to lay out his energy plan at a Tuesday event, but because there were reporters in the room, he decided against doing so.

During a Houston fundraiser, Romney told a room of about 125 donors that he planned to unveil his comprehensive energy plan this week. He said his proposal will specifically relate to fossil-based fuels. But then, he said no more.

“I know that we have members of the media here right now, so I’m not going to go through that in great detail,” Romney said, according to a pool report from the event.

Romney did say that the “intent” of his plan will be similar to what Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio) has proposed in his energy plan.

“That is, to fully take advantage of our energy resources,” he said. “I have a different approach I think, generally, to the role of government as it relates to energy, as well as other aspects of our economy. And it flows from a growing perspective I have throughout my life and, frankly, during this campaign about the power of individuals as opposed to government, individuals pursuing their interests and dreams.”

Among those onstage with Romney at the event: Portman, Texas Republican Senate nominee Ted Cruz, Texas Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst and billionaire oil executive Harold Hamm.

• 192 lisalovesobama
      August 21, 2012 at 7:03 pm

:Facepalm:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dear God. and this is the guy Tweety thinks will win 2 out of 3 of the presidential debates? This imbecile? this craven piece of turd dropping? He makes Dick Nixon look like a saint!

• 193 Dudette
        August 21, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Turd dropping, maybe. But he kinda reminds me more of elephant snot.

• 195 susanne
        August 21, 2012 at 7:50 pm

and he makes shrub look like a genius. yes, his dream is that individuals pursue their own interests, and yes, that is generally a different approach to the role of government. at least he knew not to expand on that theme in front of reporters.

53. 196 dotster3
    August 21, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Obama has a slight lead with African Americans—94-0. hahaha. All those AA Repubs that the cable shows like to feature are just wasting their time—-and souls.

August 21, 2012 at 6:56 pm

I would like to know where can I get a copy of the actual NBC/WSJ poll, not the NBC spin, the poll itself. Thanks!

August 21, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Anyway, for those people who “misunderestimate” VP Biden, you do so at your own peril. VP Biden is one badass heckuva campaigner! Don’t mess with Joe. I repeat: Don’t.Mess.With.Joe.

56. 205 dotster3
    August 21, 2012 at 7:00 pm
  57. 211 JER
    August 21, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Stream is up for President Obama in Reno, NV – http://www.cbsnews.com/liveFeed/widget.shtml

58. 216 isonprize
    August 21, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Hey, TOD. I’m confused. Is Akin in or out of the senate race?

• 217 cookemom
      August 21, 2012 at 7:23 pm

In for now. He can still get out or be forced out, but it’ll have to be decided in court. I imagine if he wants to step down a judge would approve. I’d think it be much harder for a judge to allow him to be forced out against his will.

59. 218 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    August 21, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Once again, VP is on fire. Tears in my eyes as he discussed charades they went through with his Mom regarding healthcare costs; been there, done that with my aunt, uncle, and father. Proud, hard working folks who out lived their savings. They turned me into the biggest liar — no, this is “covered” or that is “covered;” “I swear, the lamb chops were on sale — I just broke down the pack so that you could freeze meal sized portions”…

One of the bad things about living in the ‘burbs, proverty, especially among our seniors is invisible.

August 21, 2012 at 7:09 pm

These poll numbers are BAAAAAAD for Romney. Holy smokes!

August 21, 2012 at 7:12 pm
      August 21, 2012 at 7:13 pm

HA! As Good ol’ Snark explains

62. August 21, 2012 at 7:22 pm

An early heads-up everyone – but hey, the music’s always worth listening to ;-)

63. 224 criquet
    August 21, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Something to note. This new NBC/WSJ poll sampled fewer Democrats than in last poll. Mmm…. wonder why ? Still PBO is leading so that trick did not work.

64. August 21, 2012 at 7:44 pm

And when asked which candidate is better on issues affecting seniors, 46 percent pick Obama and 34 percent choose Romney.

Yet…

Robney leads Seniors 49-41. We know what that is all about. But, a huge opportunity for POTUS.