Aug

This and That

Yet another TOD post that has been reblogged by Jueseppi B, despite requests that he make his own effort to support PBO rather than copying others simply to drive up his reblog’s traffic. He doesn’t take kindly to being challenged, as another woman found out: explicit. Genuine bloggers are welcome to use anything they ever see at TOD. Thanks

Hey, don’t forget to press this emergency button when stressed ;-)

Tuesday:

10:30: President Obama departs the White House en route Joint Base Andrews

10:45: Departs Joint Base Andrews

1:05: Arrives in Des Moines, Iowa

2:05: Delivers remarks at a campaign event at Iowa State University

4:40: Departs Des Moines en route Fort Collins, Colorado

Later (will check time tomorrow): Delivers remarks at a campaign event at Colorado State University

The President will remain overnight in Colorado

Wednesday: The President will travel to Charlottesville, Virginia for campaign events. He will return to the White House in the evening.

Thursday: The President will attend meetings at the White House

Friday: President Obama will visit Fort Bliss, Texas … A White House official said the president will speak with troops and have a roundtable discussion with service-members and military families (Denver Post). Thanks Jovie.

‘America’s dark night of the soul’ by Liberal Librarian

The People’s View

George Clooney and Geneva-based American lawyer and co-president of Democrats Abroad Charles C. Adams arrive for a dinner to raise funds for the re-election of President Barack Obama, in Geneva, Switzerland, August 27

Timothy Noah

I really, really want this umbrella …. as owned by Lynne David, an anti-GOP protester in Tampa, August 27

Kathleen Parker (Daily Beast)

Cagle

Jonathan Chait

Cagle

a4alice * Alycee * BWD * CollegeKay * Cookemom * DonnaDem4Obama

Hgerhard * HZ * Judith Fardig * Mae Who Love Our CIC

Marlz * Meta * Pamela *prettyfoot58 * proudmemberofglobalzero * Rita * Theo67 * The Obama Diary

If any other TOD visitor has an OFA fundraiser please let me know and I’ll add it to the list – thanks.

154 Responses to “This and That”

1. 1 Proud Former White House Intern
    August 27, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Love the umbrella

2. 5 isonprize
    August 27, 2012 at 10:35 pm

That umbrella is TOO FUNNY!!!

August 27, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Oh, Chips, you are FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. 15 Lorraine
    August 27, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Attorney Adams (pictured with Mr. Clooney) could be Bob Craft’s (owner of the Patriots) twin brother. I thought that was him.

5. 19 Nena20409
    August 27, 2012 at 10:39 pm

I was just asking if another Thread was on it’s way, and Low and below, the wonderful, Chipsticks, was doing her thing and now we have a brand new page. Thank you very much, Chipsticks. You have made my whole day at home today, just delicious.

• 21 HZ
      August 28, 2012 at 3:28 am

Hi Pamela. I had to take a nap early evening, so I am up now. Oh, our beautiful Chips did it to us again. Lawdy, when I saw Mr. Clooney, I just could not take it. The man is sooooooooooooooo fine. So I am up reading the comments and ofcourse, I shall take a last look at Mr. Clooney. Seriously, I love him and I love that he supports POB so much and care so much about his work in Africa. Great human being!!! Blessings continue to come into his space.HZ

6. August 27, 2012 at 10:43 pm

What a MESS-

The Republican Senate candidate has lost a lot in the last week, but not the love of Missouri’s delegation to the Republican National Convention, Manu Raju reports:

Missouri GOP delegates are rejecting the heavy-handed push by Mitt Romney and national Republicans to boot Todd Akin from their state’s Senate race, revealing a split among Republicans that could imperil the party’s effort to take back the chamber in the fall campaign.

In interviews with POLITICO, delegates argued that Akin could still win the race in the conservative state, pushing back against the notion that his remarks on rape were a death blow to his Senate candidacy. Several delegates here in Tampa seemed angry at the national party, saying the decision to withhold millions of dollars in campaign funding is the real impediment in their effort to oust Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill in November.

“Absolutely,” said John Putnam of Carthage, Mo., when asked if he was disappointed at Romney for demanding that Akin exit the race. “I think he needs to rescind that, retract that. I think [RNC Chairman] Reince Priebus and [Sen.] Roy Blunt and all the people need to support the candidate that the folks from Missouri nominated and picked in the primary.” …

Putnam wasn’t alone. At a breakfast meeting of Missouri delegates here in Tampa, a number were sporting “Akin for Senate” stickers and stood strongly behind the six-term congressman’s decision to stay in the race. The support of the state-level Missouri Republicans for Akin undermines the unified front that the rest of the Republican Party — from Romney down to conservative pundits — has tried to show in urging Akin to quit.

“I think there’s disappointment that they would disengage from a candidate that was elected by the people decisively,” said Vernon Harms, a Missouri delegate. “I think they made a mistake.”

7. August 27, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Yes, we now face the “American Taliban” – no joke, no hyperbole …

8. August 27, 2012 at 10:51 pm

What goes around ….

9. 25 PoliticalJunkessa
    August 27, 2012 at 10:55 pm

“You didn’t build that. You destroyed it.” Ouch. Get ‘im, Democrats!

10. August 27, 2012 at 10:55 pm

So, I had a crappy Sunday, which has colored my outlook on today. And the blatant, undisguised racism of the GOP has made me psychologically ill. I was going to lay low this week, just to conserve my energy.

Fuck that.

That’s what they want us to do. They want to dispirit us with their ugliness, their vitriol, their — let’s be honest — evil. All it takes for evil to triumph is for those of good will to sit by silently.

So I wrote a piece for TPV. And the wonderful comments on here have heartened me. Thank you, TODers. Without places like this, fighting this existential battle would be much more difficult.

#forward

• 27 Nena20409
      August 27, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Look at LL go , go, go, back in form and taking No prisoners. All is right in our TODweb Village. Great!!!

Welcome Back. Give them the truth, Only you can deliver and they will think that Hell has inhabited this earth. All is OK again.

• August 27, 2012 at 11:02 pm

“Fuck that …. That’s what they want us to do.”

And I thought I couldn’t love you any more, LL – even if you’re a Chelski supporter :roll:

I haven’t even got the chance to read it yet, but here’s the link to your post:

Going to read it right now.

Stay strong friend, don’t let the b*****ds grind you down.

August 27, 2012 at 11:07 pm

And with you two not backing down, and others not backing down, the rest of us can stand a little taller at your sides. I mean that. And I’m already 5’9″.

• August 27, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Ah, thank you 5’9″ Jacqueline, you’re tall enough for me!

August 27, 2012 at 11:30 pm

:) :) :)

• 33 HZ
              August 28, 2012 at 3:42 am

LL, Chips, jacquelineoboomer, you all have lifted my spirits on the west coast. Thank you so much.

I love you, Chips. Thanks for your hard work, your encouragement, this beautiful site, this haven of peace which calms my spirit so much. (((((( I just want to say thank you, Chips and TOD Family))))))).HZ

• August 28, 2012 at 7:28 am

We have so much in common JOB. We are the same age, have October birthdays and are tall women. I am 5’11.

• 35 jackiegrumbacher
            August 28, 2012 at 7:57 am

Oh well, while JOB, Jackie 4 Obama and I are linked in spirit, this Jackie comes in at 5’2″ if I stretch. Still, we’re all sisters.

August 28, 2012 at 11:23 am

Wow. Didn’t realize what we have in common, in addition to our first name! Happy early Libra birthday! You are 5’11” ? Well, then, just call me Little One! My granddaughter will probably surpass both of us quite nicely, since her mom is 6’2″ and my son is 6’1″!

• August 27, 2012 at 11:07 pm

As much as I hope that Man U finishes fifth, that was a hellishly nasty wound Rooney got. I flinched when I saw it. And now it seems like he’ll be out for 2 mos! Time for RVP to earn his keep.

• August 27, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Confession: I was watching the game live and when I saw him hopping about with only (seemingly) a dribble of blood falling from his leg, I howled: “GET ON WITH IT!” Then the camera zoomed in, and it’ll be a while before my tummy recovers. Horrific. All I’m hoping is that he’ll come back like a well-rested but ravenous bull, by which time RVP will have scored 36. :???: (United’s midfield is still abysmal, though, if they don’t buy Fulham’s Dembélé before transfer deadline day I will be a decidedly pissed off bunny).

• 40 PoliticalJunkessa
        August 27, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Awww. Sorry you have to put up with the bullshit on our behalves. Thanks for being our fearless leader. Onward…woot!

• August 27, 2012 at 11:21 pm

No worries PJ, I actually enjoy taking on thugs like this guy, who has a serious issue with women. He’s met his match ;-)

• 42 PoliticalJunkessa
            August 27, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Alright, Laila Ali! I’ll be your cut woman in the corner. :cool:

• August 28, 2012 at 12:01 am

That’ll do for me!!!!

• 44 HZ
                August 28, 2012 at 3:53 am

Chips, I have some serious boxing gloves. I took kick boxing lessons for years, and my teacher also gave me some great time in the real ring. Seriously.

This ugly person does not know who he is messing with on this site. This is digusting. Please know that I appreciate you for all that you do, but it pains me to have to hear you have to put up with this crap from this person.

We stand together with you. And that is a fact.HZ

• August 27, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I argue with my Brother about it, all the time. I tell Him, their are assholes in every Race, but when you over generalize, it’s ignorant.
      Suffice to say, me and my Brother don’t get along.
      Oh well!

• August 27, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I’m a white Cuban, which means that my extended family has a fair amount of racism inherent in it. How I wound up as I am is a minor miracle.

• August 28, 2012 at 2:27 am

Hi LL

My neighbors came here over 40yrs ago from Cuba. They are super nice people and I love them. He’s so cute he says all his neighbors are like his family. His wife is so sweet too. He is a republican because he is against communism and socialism. I told him this country could never go communism and as far as socialism we are a social democracy because we are the government we take care of our kids education through our property taxes and our roads, police, firefighters, etc., I am getting throught little by little.

• 48 PoliticalJunkessa
      August 27, 2012 at 11:15 pm

I think most of us go through this from time to time. But just think: it’s better to be us than to be them. Continuous hatred is so exhausting and deadening. There’s nothing wrong with recharging in any way you deem fit. I unplug and get into nature, family and friends. You may write your way out of it. As long as humans have been on this earth, they have been struggling. I don’t think that will ever change. We will just keep on going forward, day by day, making progress, little by little.

• 52 criquet
      August 28, 2012 at 8:41 am

Just read it LL and it is stellar. What I would say though is maybe you could update it to say no MSM journalist except Chris Mathews has railed against the racist campaign Romney is running.

11. August 27, 2012 at 10:58 pm

More Political analysis from Halperin, it’s close-

It’s pretty close to being spot on! Electoral college and demographics!

August 27, 2012 at 11:10 pm

A friend gave me this quote she found (with anonymous attribution, usually), which pretty much fits what we are up against in relation to the Republican/Tea Party folks:

“You can’t reason someone out of a position they didn’t reason themselves into.”

In other words, we are smarter and we will win. Yes. We. Can. Again.

• 64 HZ
      August 28, 2012 at 4:10 am

Thanks for that, JB. May I add one as well. “The bad news is times flies, The good news is you are the pilot.” M. Althsuler.

Those of us who will watch this circus, will carefully pilot our intellect to adjust to the altitude of this Circus Convention Do not worry, they will not be flying at altitudes of importance, but they can damage the atmosphere for millions for a generation to come. They only have to be up there for a few minutes to spew their hate and lies.

But remember, we will listen with open ears so as to be ready to carry the Truth Team Message afterwards. Prepare your planes, we have flights to make. PRESSON with FORWARD. We are not going back.HZ

• 66 susanne
      August 28, 2012 at 5:25 am

that is a wonderful quote, jacqueline. simple and profound and truly helpful. though it’s late at night, i just have to say how much i treasure the tod community, and queen chips for bringing us together. aloha and mahalo.

13. 68 pugeretto
    August 27, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Did AMK send in his joke-of-the-night yet?

14. August 27, 2012 at 11:13 pm

August 27, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Here’s a theory on the “why” of the war on women at this point in our history. We all know there always has to be a lesser being for Homo Sapiens to trample and rule, even if there’s plenty of food available. Why can’t we just get along? Well, that would be nice, but for those who want the power and can’t get there with their brains and reasoning and/or entitlement, ain’t gonna happen.

In 2012, unless one is with one’s redneck/Confederate buddies or just other white folk, educated or not, who agree with them, it’s been pretty well established that it would be politically incorrect to be openly bigoted against African Americans, Hispanics, Asian Americans, and other non-white racial/ethnic groups – for instance, on the job or in front of some type of media outlet or political group or in a place of worship. Much more devious is to start going back to the overpowering of “the little woman,” especially since some of these guys have one right in their home and she won’t “put up with” the domination of yesteryear. A side benefit is that some women are non-whites, thus powering off two birds. It dawns on me that these little Napoleonic types, whether based on faux religiosity or not, think that women would be an appropriate target of their fears of losin’ the power. I haven’t reasoned this out much further than this, but it’s my start-up of a theory. I don’t get it, but maybe this is part of it.

• 75 isonprize
      August 27, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Jo’b, the Re-thugs are coming at it from all angles. The War on Women, the assault on Public Education, the ‘Let’s take our country back’ nonsense. Hateful, mean-spirited, arrogant, racist, misogynistic, mostly old dusty white men who are feeling threatened.

Instead of understanding, like Joe Biden has said a gazillion times, they are no better or no worse than any other human being on this earth. Joe is an old white man. He is the opposite of all of the adjectives that I used above. He learned early on that people are worthy, regardless of their color, religion, creed, sex, etc.

August 28, 2012 at 12:01 am

Yes, he did, and I admire him greatly. He’s a great role model, if only those who need a model were looking for one.

• 77 HZ
          August 28, 2012 at 4:24 am

Yes, he is jacquelineoboomer. We all love Joe. Joe had beautiful parents and he leaned on that upbringing because he has a spirit and core within that his parents nurtured with kindness, love, appreciation for goodness in people.

Look how beautiful he was blessed. Remember when he dropped out of the race? Everytime I see VPBiden, I remember vividly his speech with his mother standing in the front row and his small family standing behind him. He was sad, but I could see something of a gentle spirit walking out, but with great humbleness, compassionate, and just a wonderful man wanting to be and do something good in its time. And we know how his time came.

Joe is an instrument of love, peace, and hope. He sees this ugly and hateful crowd who will always be playing these ugly games on innocent people, but he knows that there are more justice and good things to be doing. He and POB will be fine.HZ

16. 79 anniebella
    August 27, 2012 at 11:31 pm

FLOTUS will be in New York on Wednesday, she will appear on the David Letterman show.

August 27, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Since everyone seems to be fixated on polls tonight, I thought I would share:)

ust before the beginning of the Republican National Convention in Tampa presidential candidate Mitt Romney continues to overwhelmingly lose the Latino vote and has low levels of favorability among the majority of the Latino electorate. The first weekly tracking poll of Latino registered voters by Latino Decisions and impreMedia reveals that 65% would vote to re-elect President Barack Obama and 26% would prefer the Republican alternative offered by Romney.

August 27, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Look here! The GOP Party Platform:) http://images.politico.com/global/2012/08/preview_of_reforming_government_to_serve_the_people_-_gop.html

I guess they pulled this down….not quick enough:) h/t to Blog for Arizona and the terrific guys there!

As Republican delegates prepare to approve the party’s 2012 platform on Tuesday, a new national poll shows that Americans are more interested in what’s in that document than they are in Mitt Romney’s and Paul Ryan’s acceptance speeches. Tuned-out nation more interested in GOP platform than Romney speech – LA Times:

[T]he document has not been made public. Earlier Monday, in an indication that party platforms may do more harm than good, Republican House Speaker John Boehner suggested that the GOP issue a one-page platform.

Too late. The Republican National Committee quickly pulled down a draft copy of its 2012 platform Friday afternoon after Politico discovered it hidden on the committee’s web site. The RNC has kept the document tightly held, refusing to share earlier drafts with reporters. An apparent staff error led to its posting. The RNC would not confirm to Politico that what was posted Friday is the final platform language, but it matches amendments approved earlier this week by the platform committee.

Think Progress did an analysis of the GOP platform based upon the platform committee deliberations from last week. GOP Approves ‘Most Conservative Platform In Modern History’:

Republican committee members spent Tuesday articulating and affirming the principles they stand for in a draft of the official party platform. Led by Gov. Bob McDonnell (R-VA) and featuring other Tea Party stars like Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach and Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN), the committee approved a draft of the platform McDonnell said “will reflect the heart and soul of the Republican Party”and one committee member called “the most conservative platform in modern history.”

Here are some highlights:

Continue reading “The GOP Platform that John Boehner does not want the public to see” »

Here’s the link…..http://www.blogforarizona.com/blog/2012/08/the-gop-platform-that-john-boehner-does-not-want-the-public-to-see.html

August 28, 2012 at 12:00 am

YOU REALLY NEED TO SEE THIS!!!!

• 86 purpleshoesla
      August 28, 2012 at 2:41 am

Holy Crap! These “drafts” sent a chill down my spine. Full of lies about what our illustrious President hasn’t done. Interesting how the headings and introductory language of the various “planks” of their platforms copy almost verbatim some of the goals of the President (e.g. to eliminate Al Queda, pivot to the Pacific, immigration reform, fix Postal Service, honor our veterans, too big to fail) but then when you read how they actually want to realize these goals, it’s the same batcrap crazy shit, cloaked in all these empty platitudes and chest puffing/thumping rhetoric. Dreck, dreck and more dreck. Repeal regulations, privitize, cut. I feel like I’m in Stephen King’s movie, “The Dead Zone”

August 28, 2012 at 12:15 am

FYWP. Pages take eons to load. Can’t log in. This is the third browser since yesterday that I have tried. It’s the much hated google chrome that at least allowed to login today.

I blame you wimmin for this.

/Keeping fingers crossed

August 28, 2012 at 12:18 am

Hi, amk!!! You DID plug that internet machine in:) I know you don’t like Chrome, but if it let’s you be here with us….I say, “suck it up and use it!” Glad to see you….(you know I’m just giving you the business…)

• 90 amk for obama
        August 28, 2012 at 12:24 am

GM df. I don’t know what the hell happened here. All other sites are working.

So it must be the wimmin here that are screwing things up.

I will be travelling to my hometown tonight. Will try from there.

And yeah, I hate anything to do with google. Why the hell would a reply open on a new page in chrome?

August 28, 2012 at 12:29 am

SOrry, love…that question is above my pay grade. I know next to nothing about computers….maybe you have some kind of virus on your PC?

August 28, 2012 at 12:32 am

No…it’s not the wimmin here! We may cause you to fog up your computer screen, but we certainly didn’t muck up the intertubes! Safe travels home…maybe better luck there.

• August 28, 2012 at 12:34 am

Well, would ya look who it is: the fella who broke the internets. Very lovely to see you amk, and needless to say, everyone was very respectful towards you in your absence today. Well, apart from a few dozen wimmin.

August 28, 2012 at 12:35 am

:) Admit it…you miss him AND his corny jokes when he’s not here:)

• 96 amk for obama
        August 28, 2012 at 12:38 am

yeah, I could see that. wimmin being wimmin. Just wail till I get my mojo back.

/shakes fist at TOD (and my bloody effin’ computer)

August 28, 2012 at 12:41 am

You need a new “birthday computer” like I have:) No problems for me! I think it’s trying to tell you something….better listen, because we wimmin won’t tolerate grumpy assed men. Republicans have already pissed us right the hell off…I wouldn’t push it! :)

• 98 HZ
            August 28, 2012 at 4:41 am

DF, and amk knows we wimmin being wimmin makes him happy. What would amk do without us.

(((((( We love you amk))))))) Be safe.HZ

20. 100 Bill R.
    August 28, 2012 at 12:35 am

American Taliban (teabaggers) cannot survive if Dorothy votes:

21. 104 Bill R.
    August 28, 2012 at 12:39 am

August 28, 2012 at 12:42 am

Night all…been up since 4:30am and I think I’m done now…see you in the am…up at 4:30 again! I’m too old for this shit.

August 28, 2012 at 12:45 am

Yay. I am baaack baby.

I don’t know wtf happened just now. Suddenly my FF is back to normal.

Must be witches hour is over at TOD.

/ducks and runs.

August 28, 2012 at 12:52 am

So

When Bob found out he was going to inherit a fortune when his sickly father died, he decided he needed a woman to enjoy it with. So one evening he went to a singles bar where he spotted the most beautiful woman he had ever seen.

Her natural beauty took his breath away. “I may look like just an ordinary man,” he said as he walked up to her, “but in just a week or two my father will die, and I’ll inherit 20 million dollars.”

Impressed, the woman went home with him that evening.

Three days later, she became his stepmother.

25. 116 thoughtful3
    August 28, 2012 at 1:03 am

Ha! :-)

26. 119 Cman
    August 28, 2012 at 1:07 am

John Hodgman

Why Winners Should Vote for Obama

” Because that’s the moment that I realized that Obama actually intended to win.

After that I learned to appreciate Obama in a different way. I appreciated that he inhabited a world in which idealism — and ideology — could never by sheer force of will overcome objective reality, and the hard compromises, uneasy truces, and constant errors that must be made to live in that world. I especially felt better about this position when I learned that John McCain carried an indian feather around FOR LUCK. This was not how I wanted my country run. By myth and superstition and magic tokens.

And, in that real world, I began to appreciate, winning matters. And not just that election. Those who hate how far the legislative Frankenstein’s monster called the Affordable Care Act lurched away from the promethean ideal of what it could have been are not wrong. Those who, for this reason, cheered for its failure were dumb. Whether the fight should have been joined just then is a discussion that countless armchair quarterbacks and alternate history novelists can debate, sterilely, forever. Once it WAS joined, that win was galvanizing and essential and re-moralizing, as was its confirmation by the Supreme Court. A court that includes, by the way, two Obama nominees who would not have been there had he not won.”

Humorous, but good piece on why Obama must win. Good read for any hold over emoprog. I’m looking at you John Stewart.

27. August 28, 2012 at 1:41 am

Chips, this is important:

RNC to Open With Politician Who “Should Be in Jail”
    Monday, 27 August 2012 16:10 By Greg Palast, Truthout | News Analysis

“Tim Griffin should be in jail.” That’s the conclusion of civil rights attorney Robert F. Kennedy Jr. after going through the evidence I asked him to review.

But Griffin’s not in jail: he’s in Congress. And Tuesday, he’ll be the first Congressman the Republicans have chosen to bring to their convention podium.

Predictably, I haven’t seen one US press report noting that in 2007, Griffin resigned from the Justice Department in disgrace, ahead of what could have been (should have been), his indictment.

Kennedy thought a couple of other characters should join Griffin in the lockup: first, Griffin’s boss, the man whom George W. Bush gave the nickname, “Turdblossom”: Karl Rove.

And there’s yet another odiferous blossom, Griffin’s assistant at the time of the crime: Matt Rhoades. Rhoades isn’t in jail either. He’s the campaign director of presidential candidate Mitt Romney.

h/t to kristenp17 for urging all of us to pay attention ….

August 28, 2012 at 2:18 am

August 28, 2012 at 2:20 am

As they assemble in Tampa, the Republicans should consider not just whether they can win back the presidency in November, but whether they can create a viable majority that can endure past an election cycle. But they won’t. Mitt Romney and his party are oblivious to their longer term prospects. They are committed to a strategy that may win this year, but will lead to another Democratic landslide in two or four years.

For a party out of power, the key to creating a viable majority is to pick up important groups within the opposition’s coalition, and to increase the support of groups within its own coalition. In 1980, Reagan brought into the Republican party the Southern and white working class voters that had begun moving away from the Democratic party in 1966. At the same time, he retained traditional Republican support among the business and professional classes. From 1992 to 2008, Democrats picked up professionals and Northern suburbanites — women in particular — who had become disenchanted with the Republicans’ social agenda. The Democrats also dramatically increased their vote among minorities, and particularly among Latinos. As the white working class vote has shrunk, the minority proportion of the electorate has risen, giving the Democrats a demographic advantage. This advantage is evident in a state like California, but also in states like North Carolina or Colorado that Obama won in 2008.

///

In 2012, the Republican presidential nominee enjoys favorable circumstances. Barack Obama remains saddled with an economic downturn; and he has been unable to clearly establish himself as the candidate of Main Street against Wall Street. But Mitt Romney could not only lose the election, but set back any attempt by the Republicans to re-position themselves as a majority party. Romney has abandoned Bush and Rove’s strategy. He has taken a hard line against illegal immigration, backing measures in Arizona and other states that would stigmatize Latinos; desperate to defeat Texas Gov. Rick Perry, he even opposed Perry’s attempt to provide tuition for the children of illegal immigrants. Little that Romney can do at the Republican convention will erase an impression of hard intolerance toward Hispanics. Romney will be lucky if he wins 30 percent of the Latino vote.

30. August 28, 2012 at 3:52 am

31. August 28, 2012 at 3:57 am

Obama aides sees college campuses as fertile ground for registering and recruiting some of the more than 15 million young people who have become eligible to vote since the 2008 election. As Republicans hold their party convention in Florida this week, the president will make a personal appeal to college voters in three university towns: Ames, Iowa; Fort Collins, Colo.; and Charlottesville, Va.

32. August 28, 2012 at 4:08 am

33. 126 susanne
    August 28, 2012 at 5:35 am

reuters new polling (reported 4 a.m. tues) shows pbo out ahead:

‘ Obama and Vice President Joe Biden were ahead of Romney and running mate Paul Ryan by 46 percent to 42 percent, according to the online poll. The Obama team led the Republicans by 16 percentage points among independents, a key voting bloc that could tip the election in battleground states.

It was the first installment of a four-day rolling poll by Reuters/Ipsos which will measure and track attitudes during the Republican and Democratic conventions. ‘

34. 127 susanne
    August 28, 2012 at 5:54 am

an atlantic opinion piece, with a nice analysis of pbo’s likely voters:

‘ Mitt Romney has long faced charges of lacking empathy, but, ironically, his greatest challenge in the campaign’s final months may be winning the voters who he most resembles: well-educated, white-collar white suburbanites.
    ~
    These upscale voters, McInturff says, are more reluctant to blame Obama for the economy and are also more liberal on social issues — which is why the latest eruption over rape and abortion represents such a headache for Romney. ‘

• August 28, 2012 at 6:27 am

This is good news! It should be a wakeup call for the repugs, but I hope they miss it entirely. Would love a democratic leaning gove for a decade!…at least. Thanks, Susanne and good morning TOD world – hope you enJOY the day.

35. 129 dotster3
    August 28, 2012 at 7:22 am

August 28, 2012 at 7:38 am

POTUS connect with me just fine, and I have never met him. FLOTUS too, but I hope to meet them both one day. Hopefully in his second term.

36. 131 dotster3
    August 28, 2012 at 7:25 am

37. 132 dotster3
    August 28, 2012 at 7:27 am

38. August 28, 2012 at 7:54 am

Oh boy, is Mark Knoller having a conniption on Twitter because PBO is campaigning today!

• 134 4morefor44
      August 28, 2012 at 8:05 am

i’m starting to understand this twitter thingy a little better. i like this one!

• 135 Linda
      August 28, 2012 at 8:11 am

Ask him if he was with Bush when he delivered that birthday cake to McCain during Katrina …… I bet he was.

• 136 dotster3
      August 28, 2012 at 8:14 am

Knoller the Horrible is really bothered that President Obama is doing something this week and how he really needs to be aware of the storm preps on the Gulf coast at the same time—–no similar concern for the ‘happy days are here again’ convention crowd. Chuck Todd also seems bothered by PBO making campaign appearances this week, making a comment that this is a new precedent. Good sign—-that Knoller and Todd are bothered.

August 28, 2012 at 8:25 am

Exactly. Nary a peep from either Todd or Knoller about the GOP cavorting in Tampa with Sarah Palin look-alike stripper while Republican state Louisiana braces for hurricane Isaac.

• August 28, 2012 at 8:29 am

Lots of reverse Pyshology and twisting and play on words, from GOP! Why, you have to have a Psychology/Sociology degree to keep up.
          They are trying to mind fuck us all! Don’t let them!

• 139 4morefor44
      August 28, 2012 at 8:16 am

hilarious to see knoller acting as if president obama should just pipe down in the heat of a presidential campaign, and just let those speakers and that audience of 99% white people call him every name under the sun, and lie constantly about everything involving president obama. yes knoller, holding a few events on some college campuses…how dare he do such a thing!!! he should be fake-clearing brush on his fake-ranch like his great predecessor did as he shattered the record for presidential vacation time. that uppity guy doesn’t know his place, huh mark?!?

39. August 28, 2012 at 8:09 am

The President leads 46-45. Undecideds have gone up over night, apparently.
    You see, last month, their was talk everybody was locked in, and that we only had 3% undecided voters. Suddenly, we now have 9% undecided voters.
    Pssst, they are not counting you! Shhhhhh!

• 141 criquet
      August 28, 2012 at 9:54 am

If this is a Gallup poll ,note that their voter screen is consistently down on AA and Latinos and using model from 2010 according to those on Twitter who know.

40. 142 Dudette
    August 28, 2012 at 8:12 am

Good Moring TOD Family!

Just thought I’d check on the view count for the Newsroom American Taliban video. Hmmm… up to 402 from 187 late last night. Not bad, but we can do much better, can’t we? :-) Tweet that puppy from here to kingdom come people. Please?

41. 143 Dudette
    August 28, 2012 at 8:15 am

Have a beautiful day everybody. And if you’re in the southeast or the Gulf coast area, batten down the hatches and “Fuck the Rain”.

42. August 28, 2012 at 8:18 am

How inspiring Robneys Speech, cut everybody off from the Government, everybody is on their own, Big speech for Robney, inspiring warm Person, very empathetic, loves everybody, big speech, his heart is in the right spot, he gives millions to charity, big speech…
    Blah, blah, blah!

43. 145 dotster3
    August 28, 2012 at 8:21 am

Christie no longer cares about Willard’s refusal to release taxes, called it a “side issue”, the opposite of what he has said in the past. Asked if it was smart to have this mystery hanging over his head, Christie said Obama was also mysterious. Ay. Said Willard’s birther comment just a bad joke that he assumes Willard wishes he could take back. A kiss from the keynote speaker.

August 28, 2012 at 8:27 am

I hope he realizes that everything he says now is being recorded and will come back to hurt him in 2016 when he tries to run for President.

44. August 28, 2012 at 8:25 am

DWS was on Bill press just now! I guess She cannot get on Morning Junk, which is like watching a RNC mini-convention.

45. 148 Dudette
    August 28, 2012 at 8:25 am

Coal miners lost pay when Mitt Romney visited their mine to promote coal jobs

WASHINGTON, D.C. — When GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney visited an Ohio coal mine this month to promote jobs in the coal industry, workers who appeared with him at the rally lost pay because their mine was shut down.

The Pepper Pike company that owns the Century Mine told workers that attending the Aug. 14 Romney event would be both mandatory and unpaid, a top company official said Monday morning in a West Virginia radio interview… [snip]

A group of employees who feared they’d be fired if they didn’t attend the campaign rally in Beallsville, Ohio, complained about it to WWVA radio station talk show host David Blomquist. Blomquist discussed their beefs on the air Monday with Murray Energy Chief Financial Officer Rob Moore.

… “We are talking about an event that was in the best interest of anyone that’s related to the coal industry in this area or the entire country,” [Murray Energy Chief Financial Officer Rob] Moore said in the radio interview… [more in the article]

46. 150 Dudette
    August 28, 2012 at 8:30 am

Worth repeating:

80-YEAR STUDY: Democrats BETTER At ECONOMICS

When it comes to which party is better for the economy, Republicans talk the talk, but it’s Democrats who deliver the goods according to an unusual 80-year study of the impact presidents have on growth, personal wealth, the stock market and even 401ks.

The bottom line, according to Bulls, Bears and the Ballot Box: Of the five best economic presidents since Herbert Hoover, only one is a Republican. The paydirt finding: $100,000 invested during the 40 years Republicans had the White House would be worth $126,027. The same amount invested in the stock market during the Democrat’s 40 years would be $3,912,210.

47. August 28, 2012 at 8:32 am

According to the Pundits, the whole Campaign rides on Willards speech.
    Give me a break!

48. 152 Dudette
    August 28, 2012 at 8:35 am

Republican Florida Governor Rick Scott has taken on a number of voter suppression measures since he’s been in Office. One of the most serious is his attempt to limit early voting days. But one Republican state county election supervisor is saying no way to the Governor and Scott is responding with threats. Mitch Ceasar, Chairman of the Broward County Democratic party, joins Ed Schultz to weigh in on the issue.

49. August 28, 2012 at 8:44 am

Awesome new Priorities ad-

Priorities was in vacation. You recall, when they were running all those ads in June and July, we were way up in Ohio.