Aug

Half-time in America…..

Msg from The Obama Diary: Genuine bloggers who create their own posts in support of PBO are welcome to use anything from TOD – rebloggers, who only copy others in an attempt to up their traffic, are not. eg the reblogger who treats women like this – explicit – while copying TOD posts on women’s rights. He belongs in the GOP.

Thanks again to Clint for the best ‘Four More Years!’ ad yet produced. The best bit? The last 10 seconds ;-)

Friday:

9:30: President Obama departs the White House

11:0: VP Biden travels to Lordstown, Ohio, to deliver remarks at a campaign event at UAW Local 1714

1:30: President Obama arrives in El Paso, Texas

2:15: Participates in a roundtable discussion with service-members and military families

3:00: Delivers remarks to troops

4:10: Departs El Paso en route Joint Base Andrews

President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden talk before having lunch on the patio outside the Oval Office, Aug. 30, 2012. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

Chat away everyone …. and to those who can stomach watching the Tampa hate-fest, I salute your courage!

197 Responses to “Half-time in America…..”

August 30, 2012 at 8:16 pm

What? Me?

2. 21 sabreen60
    August 30, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Congrats VC!!!

August 30, 2012 at 8:38 pm

TY! Another one of those unexpected moments when you open the door not knowing what to expect and the sunshine pushes its way in. :lol:

3. 23 Proud Former White House Intern
    August 30, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Good thing our quater back, offensive and defensive lines are great!

4. 24 yardarm756
    August 30, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I wasn’t through on the last thread.

5. August 30, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Hi all – hang in there TODers – we will prevail. I am keeping up my spirits by reading all of your great posts, Chips and tweeting like crazy each and every news article that calls the GOPers out!

6. 43 martha
    August 30, 2012 at 8:18 pm

hola peeps

7. 44 smoothscotch
    August 30, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Hey I am in top10, yippee

8. August 30, 2012 at 8:20 pm

9. 48 yardarm756
    August 30, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Jeb Bush railing against unions and staining his shirt with bullshit dribbling down his chin.

10. August 30, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Love the video!!

In case any of you missed it and need a little entertainment …

11. 54 vitaminlover
    August 30, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Poem–Obama/Biden’s in the houuuse, you’d betta watch yo’ mouuuuth!

12. 55 Zekke LyDonna
    August 30, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Chris Matthews is a douche bag

13. 58 0388jojothecat
    August 30, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Is this the LAST NIGHT! I can’t stop watching this train wreck it’s bringing me down.

14. August 30, 2012 at 8:28 pm

As far as Clint is concerned, you are soooooo correct Chips!!! :)

And, a little personal note to Clint …

• 61 Cha
      August 30, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Big Bad Pres Obama got bin laden, too…while the gop talked about it and then didn’t. Clint likes the party of Weasels..who knew?

• 62 Zekke LyDonna
        August 30, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I like Clint Eastwood. I hope he doesn’t lie for Rethugs. If he does, I will never feel the same way about him. Jeb Bush lied his ass off. I thought he had a modicum of integrity. Shame.

• 63 Cha
          August 30, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Yeah, I liked Clint Eastwood until I started reading what hogwash he’s been saying lately. That has been my burning question.. is Clint going to get up there and LIE like a sick dog like the other gops he wants to rule the country?

15. August 30, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Rev. Al and Ed tore into Tweety.

16. 67 lamh35
    August 30, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Chips, I know ur are already finding the video of Rev Al and Ed tag teaming Tweety. I can’t wait to see it.

17. August 30, 2012 at 8:35 pm

It’s hard for me to fathom that Clint didn’t see how that would sound like support for the President….it looks like an Obama ad! In fact, I hope they do come up with some stirring and beautiful ads for the Fall like this one….I really do. We need him to be powerful, inspirational, moving, stirring…..he needs to remind people that it’s halftime and that the second half is going to be glorious!

• 70 prettyfoot58
      August 30, 2012 at 9:27 pm

August 30, 2012 at 8:36 pm

That Mormon guy is as dull and robotic as Willard.

• 72 Eleroy
      August 30, 2012 at 9:14 pm

What is even more striking is that his words about “Christian charity” a la the Mormon church have no bearing or reality in the public and professional way the Romneys have lived and conducted their lives!!!

The greed, callousness, deceitfulness, dishonesty and sense of entitlement that reverberates from Mitt and Ann Romney, contradict everything the Mormon friend wants us to believe they stand for!!!

August 30, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Did the Mormon guy explain how Mitt Romney religion allows him to lie, lie, lie all the time.

19. August 30, 2012 at 8:38 pm

WOW!

• August 30, 2012 at 8:45 pm

It seems to me at the very least, this guy – if he’s for real a SEAL – broke a major code of military ethics. I hope he gets slammed.

None of his fellow officers can step up and refute any of his claims, so it makes this publication especially treacherous.

August 30, 2012 at 8:49 pm

• August 30, 2012 at 9:03 pm

I’m fairly sure it pains PBO and VP Joe to have to take this course of action. But they mustn’t allow anyone to breach this kind of security. It’s outrageous and wrong.

• 80 0388jojothecat
            August 30, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Didn’t those OTHER so-called ex-seals blame the President for doing this? Wonder what they have to say……crickets.

• August 30, 2012 at 8:55 pm

meta, the DOD can refute. If he has written anything that is not true you can expect them to do just that. If you’ve not been in the military, and especially if you’ve not had deep security clearances, it is actually difficult to understand the rage inside those of us who have toward this dude – the same rage we had (and continue to have) for Cheney, Rove, et al., because of what they did to Valerie Plame (and, importantly, also to all the individuals in her network).

• August 30, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Thanks for that info, Bobfr. I am so utterly sick and disgusted by these RWNJs who consider themselves “patriots” doing everything they can to destroy the institutions of this country. I could scream right now.

• 83 nospin
            August 30, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Happy Belated Birthday Bobfr

• August 30, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Second that. Some of the best news I’ve read today.

• 85 0388jojothecat
        August 30, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I hope whatever money he got upfront and in sales will be spent fighting to keep from going to prison……and HE STILL GOES TO JAIL.

August 30, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Good. Let’s send a message that this kind of behaviour is serious, before this kind of tattling forces its way into ‘normalcy’. Classified information should remain classified.

• 88 yardarm756
      August 30, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Damn right. Get that mofo.

• 89 smoothscotch
      August 30, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Good. Ass.

20. 90 Tally
    August 30, 2012 at 8:39 pm

21. 91 Cha
    August 30, 2012 at 8:39 pm

And, I salute their strong stomachs, Chips! A Freaking LIEaThon! Just reading about it makes me Nauseous. Talk about Nauseous.

Thanks Chips for all you do on TOD to uplift our Spirits! Toast to you, chipstar~

22. 92 xtine24
    August 30, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I’ve now switched off coverage, but wanted to say thank you to all who post coverage for us! Just going to keep my sanity, hit Chips Save Me Button (Let’s Stay Together) and watch my missed episodes of season 2 of Treme.

A little thought did run through my mind, since I’ve been trying to figure this particular weirdness. Ever seen a toddler try to walk w/ a loaded diaper? Awkward! I finally realized Willard’s walk is a take on that. Guess those magic underpants are fully loaded! Oy! Crap! :)

23. 94 lamh35
    August 30, 2012 at 8:40 pm

@TheLastWord
    Pew poll finds over 40% of Americans don’t know Romney is Mormon or think he is member of another faith.

The Romney camp better be happy the Dem SUPERPACs aren’t as cutthroat as the Romney SUPERPACS

24. August 30, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Tweety might have been more comfortable giving Robney a Documentary? LOL!

25. August 30, 2012 at 8:42 pm

WTF???

26. 101 Tally
    August 30, 2012 at 8:43 pm

kudos to all you who can watch this drek.

• August 30, 2012 at 8:47 pm

No can do. I can barely read my twitter TL.

• 103 HZ
        August 31, 2012 at 3:58 am

Tally, I watched and stayed on Twitter at the same time. It drained me, but I thought of how much POB and VPBiden have to go through each day plus trying to keep our military families calm and safe because they too will be affected if there is an upset, then there goes their families.

It breaks my heart as I know all of us, so I was happy to watch to help you, my sweet lady who go in and do so much as well.

We are going to be fine because we are fighters. Plus you have a lot on your plate as well with your rehearsals. I rally want to come to the performance this year.

So(((((((Lots of rest for you))))))))))) and we will hold the fort while you take care of business as well. ((((((((Love you babe))))))))))))HZ

27. 104 4morefor44
    August 30, 2012 at 8:44 pm

for years i’ve argued (friendly) with many friends and family because i’ve long felt that clint eastwood is way overrated as an actor and director. i find most of his movies amazingly melodramatic and his acting just plain bad in many cases. i bet i won’t get so much pushback after tonight! eminem’s detroit super bowl ad blew eastwood’s out of the water, especially in terms of the delivery. here clint, sit down, shut up and watch what a real super bowl add looks like:

August 30, 2012 at 8:45 pm

29. August 30, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Just got this Text-

Before Friday’s deadline: Donate $10 to the Obama campaign by replying GIVE. Info: http://ofa.bo/t Donation charged to your cell phone bill & not tax deductible

30. August 30, 2012 at 8:47 pm

31. 116 Zekke LyDonna
    August 30, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Sorry to take up so much space. I thought this was timely.

100 Things You Can’t Complain About If You Don’t Care About Voting, Or If You Think Voting Is Unimportant
    August 5, 2012
    By Matthew Desmond

Laws are only passed 3 ways in this country: By the courts, by politicians or by the voters. The courts are chosen by politicians. Politicians are chosen by voters. Voters vote for laws, but they also vote for the politicians that choose who sits on the courts, therefore all laws are created directly or indirectly because of the voters’ actions.
    I’m a firm believer that if you don’t vote, you have no right to complain, but what does that really mean? Most people have no idea how many things that they complain about that are effected by the voters, so I decided to list 100 of them.
    If you don’t vote, or you think voting is unimportant, you are no longer allowed to complain about any of these things, since they are all directly or indirectly affected by how you vote. If you think voting doesn’t matter, but you continue to complain about these things, you are a hypocrite.
    1. Corruption In The Judicial System
    95. Social Justice
    96. Services For The Developmentally Disabled
    97. Communism
    98. Capitalism
    99. Socialism
    100. Fascism
    If you don’t vote, don’t complain, because voting effects a lot more than you realize.
    Originally published September 16th, 2011

• 117 carolyn
      August 30, 2012 at 9:09 pm

This is a great list. Today in my English composition class I gave my lecture on voting. One thing I said was that if you don’t vote, you can’t complain. Several asked me how to register. I also told them that their right to vote was fought for and was won with difficulty. They are young and have little knowledge of the process of getting to vote if they are either women or minority. I believe this is my calling this fall. They need to know. We talked about the poll tax and the new voter suppression laws being attempted. One student said they were being put in because of voter fraud…..I told them voter fraud was .03% of all votes cast. They were surprised. I am going to copy this list and make copies of it for my students. Thank you so much.

• 119 Dudette
      August 30, 2012 at 9:11 pm

THIS x1000000!!

• 120 yardarm756
      August 30, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Oh hell yes. a copy of this is going e-mail and Facebook.

• 121 HZ
        August 31, 2012 at 4:03 am

Oh thanks, email list out and work to do. And Carolyn, thanks for your dedication to POB and to your students. (((((((( I love wonderful educators)))))))))))HZ

32. 122 dotster3
    August 30, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Sorry, but funny (looking for laughs tonight)

33. 123 lamh35
    August 30, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Must be nice being able to talk, about your faith at your convention. Wonder what the response would be if Obama brought out parishioners from Trinity???

August 30, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Lamh, some people talk their faith and some try to show it by their living. I like the choice Pres O made. Mitt sure hasn’t lived his IMO, and him deciding to talk about it now, is meaningless as far as I’m concerned, though you are right, it has no place at the convention.

• 125 lamh35
        August 30, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Even if PBO wanted to talk about his faith or have parishioners from trinity speak all they’d talk about is Rev WRight

34. 126 donna dem 4 obama
    August 30, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Good evening TOD. It was a good night phonebanking. I’ll be Fundraising during the “Variety Show”

35. August 30, 2012 at 8:57 pm

36. August 30, 2012 at 8:59 pm

So what the hell did Tweety say now?

37. August 30, 2012 at 9:11 pm

38. 137 squarepeg
    August 30, 2012 at 9:13 pm

39. August 30, 2012 at 9:15 pm

August 30, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Just finished watching last night’s colbert. Still lmao. He nailed the thugs at the convention. Showed bits of annbot ‘speaking’ eeeewwww.

41. August 30, 2012 at 9:19 pm

He attacked the teachers union

August 30, 2012 at 9:19 pm

itt Romney likes to say he won’t “apologize” for his success in business. But what he never says is “thank you” – to the American people – for the federal bailout of Bain & Company that made so much of his outsize wealth possible.

According to the candidate’s mythology, Romney took leave of his duties at the private equity firm Bain Capital in 1990 and rode in on a white horse to lead a swift restructuring of Bain & Company, preventing the collapse of the consulting firm where his career began. When The Boston Globe reported on the rescue at the time of his Senate run against Ted Kennedy, campaign aides spun Romney as the wizard behind a “long-shot miracle,” bragging that he had “saved bank depositors all over the country $30 million when he saved Bain & Company.”

In fact, government documents on the bailout obtained by Rolling Stone show that the legend crafted by Romney is basically a lie. The federal records, obtained under the Freedom of Information Act, reveal that Romney’s initial rescue attempt at Bain & Company was actually a disaster – leaving the firm so financially strapped that it had “no value as a going concern.” Even worse, the federal bailout ultimately engineered by Romney screwed the FDIC – the bank insurance system backed by taxpayers – out of at least $10 million. And in an added insult, Romney rewarded top executives at Bain with hefty bonuses at the very moment that he was demanding his handout from the feds.

43. 150 yardarm756
    August 30, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I gotta tell ya folks, this link about the walru Michael Moore has a hard ring. Don’t be turned off by the title banner. Within the article is the big bullet for our gun. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/30/michael-moore-mitt-romney_n_1843824.html

44. August 30, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Ok I just read what Chuck Todd said today. He is officially in the David Gregory/ Mark Halperin Republican Hacks pile. I don’t care what he says going forward. I don’t care if he changes his twitter name to Chuck Hussein Todd, the man is a GOP hack!

You know what’s funny? This man replied to one of my tweets after I laughed at him accusing one of his followers of being inside the bubble. He said to me that he tries very hard to stay out of the bubble and sometimes he doesn’t succeed. Gee, YA THINK?

45. August 30, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Let’s get #Stericycle trending folks ….

46. August 30, 2012 at 9:40 pm

According to Reuters poll, their is Suddenly a 14 point undecideds. Oh an Robney leads by 2 Nationally.
    You see, when they make Obama Voters Undecided, that is what happens.

• 159 99ts
      August 30, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Jovie there is lots of hate out there – and much of it directed towards attempts to inspire republicans to vote for Mitt – while suggesting the dems may as well stay at home – I’m watching the convention (as Mrs Obama said folks should) to see what they have to offer – at the minute a dozen white Olympians & some speakers talking about the 2002 Olympics – Mitt has done nothing for the past 6 years & the government bailed out the 2002 Olympics – they have nothing of merit to discuss about Mitt – maybe 1 point for trying. Not many smiles – and a rather bored looking audience.

They now seem to have found a black choir to sing – makes me cry rather than enjoy the singing.

• 160 carolyn
      August 30, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I think this will be what they will call his “convention bump” I am having less and less faith in polls because they are running SO often! I don’t think people change so much and so immediately after events. It seems like every little company wants to poll, so we are hit with a plethora of them. Once again, wait until October and we begin to hear the internal polling of the Obama campaign. They were spot on four years ago. POTUS and VPOTUS just don’t look harried and worried right now.

• 162 nospin
      August 30, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I will pay attention to the polls, two weeks from now. Will see where everything falls.

47. August 30, 2012 at 9:46 pm

America, by now you should know that lies are destructive liabilities. Remember Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction and the price you paid in human lives and billions? Go forward with Obama-Biden and the truth, not backwards with lying Romney-Ryan and more untruth.

48. 164 prettyfoot58
    August 30, 2012 at 9:49 pm

49. August 30, 2012 at 9:55 pm

We can now expect to hear much more about this …

50. 166 vitaminlover
    August 30, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Willard and Paulie remind me of Eddie Haskell with a little goofball Lumpy thrown in for good measure shady, sneaky lying troublemakers who are about NOTHING. They are arrogant enough to think that they are ok but as the world watches more truth comes out about these buzzards. They are pathetic and very delusional.

51. 167 cookemom
    August 30, 2012 at 9:57 pm

I had to leave for a sec….what’d I miss, what’d I miss. Did whatDirty Harry speak yet? Oh noes!!! My eyes!!!! There’s an RNC video tribute, for something, is it Mitt or what?? Oh….wait, tie in the Olympics with 9/11, and he says no government, Ann’s illnesses. MItt loves Ann, Ann loves Mitt. Mitt and Ann sitting in a tree….k.i.s.s.i.n.g. Goodness there’s more syrup here than under Mrs. Butterworth’s apron.

52. 170 lisalovesobama
    August 30, 2012 at 9:59 pm

They are showing Willard home vids and of course they had to show a lot of footage about his daddy…. :roll:

53. August 30, 2012 at 10:01 pm

:D :D :D :D :D

Now, THAT’s a Headline …..

54. 175 Zekke LyDonna
    August 30, 2012 at 10:01 pm

55. August 30, 2012 at 10:02 pm

The Obama campaign emails a preemptive reaction from Vice President Joe Biden to tonight’s speech by Mitt Romney at the Republican National Convention:

Tonight Mitt Romney will deliver a speech that millions of Americans will hear.

He’s going to say a lot of things about Barack Obama, and belittle what we stand for.

When he does, remember the important role you play in the political process. Remember the kind of man our president is, and the tough choices he’s had to make from that Oval Office.

The email ends with a request for $5 donations to help close the spending gap in swing states.

Romney is set to take the stage to accept the Republican nomination at 10:25 p.m. EST.

56. 177 cookemom
    August 30, 2012 at 10:06 pm

There is nothing in this video that is new. It’s the same Mitt with dramatic music . The music is more livlier than Mitt could ever be. Slick marketing and packaging doesn’t make the man. It was not good on many levels. His dad on the video only made the contrast between him and dad more obvious.

Hold on here’s the guy to make our day. So does he say it in the beginning or at the end of the speech. Did he just say Mr. Obama, why yes he did. Even brings Oprah into it. Way to go you old coot, now go find a comb.

57. 178 99ts
    August 30, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Now watching the history of Mitt – as supplied by Mitt and Miss Ann. Interestingly it is all many many years ago – How old are his sons? Are their baby photos relevant? And now we’re watching Mitt’s Dad – everything except Mitt. Now Mitt is going to show us his grand plan – Tom Brokaw thinks the Mormons were wonderful in telling us all about Mitt. hahahahaIf I gave someone 10% of my millions they had better talk nice about me – also too.

Oh dear Clint Eastwood – but I remember 4 more years – and I can’t listen to him blaming President Obama for what the GOP congress has done. Sad.

58. 179 BigDaddyRich
    August 30, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Oh God, this Clint Eastwood speech is ABSOLUTELY WEIRD.

59. 180 smoothscotch
    August 30, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Al Jazeera and BBC carrying Eastwood RNC live. That BS about Afghanistan and saying PBO didn’t ask Russia how they did. Assinine comments. Good gawd. anybody else watching this. I just finished my 1st glass of wine. Now he’s getting nasty.

60. 182 lisalovesobama
    August 30, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Clint is on. He’s going after PBO. He just mocked Oprah for crying on the night PBO accepted the win. He said with 23 million people unemployed and it’s Obama’s fault. He’s pretending that PBO is on stage. He’s blaming PBO for Gitmo still being open. He’s incoherent. He’s talking about the date PBO set for leaving Afghanistan. Mocks Biden…… :roll: he said Biden has the intellect of the Democratic Party.

• 183 99ts
      August 30, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Clint its saying an attorney is bad as a President because attorneys are taught to “weigh both sides” – Does he want a President who DOESN’T consider both sides – guess so – He wants a businessman – to look after the rich I guess

August 30, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Then his head should explode…Romney has a LAW degree and a Business degree from Harvard. OH SHIT, CLINT!

August 30, 2012 at 10:15 pm

82 year old senile Clint Eastwood. How pitiful to see what he has become. I sense some hate in Eastwood for the black President.

• 186 lisalovesobama
        August 30, 2012 at 10:18 pm

I doubt he hates black people. His wife is part black and one of his closest friends: Morgan Freeman, is also black. He’s just a senile old fool with too much time on his hands.

61. 188 cookemom
    August 30, 2012 at 10:13 pm

So PBO shouldn’t ride in AF1, will Mitt not ride in AF1? Oh wait…doesn’t Mitt have his own AirMitt? This man is awful and should have ridden into the sunset on the horse he rode in on.

62. 189 99ts
    August 30, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Clint didn’t write this speech – truly written by a Romney speech writer

63. 191 lisalovesobama
    August 30, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Picking up on Willard’s lies about PBO having a lot of negative ads…….Repugs are classless.

64. 192 prettyfoot58
    August 30, 2012 at 10:15 pm

August 30, 2012 at 10:18 pm

You tell me Mr. Axelrod. I am not watching it, but it seem Eastwood might have had alittle something to drink before he came on stage, or he is just losing it.

65. 194 cookemom
    August 30, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Rachel Maddow – “That was bizarre”

66. 196 smoothscotch
    August 30, 2012 at 10:15 pm

That was bizarre,. Now Rubio………..

67. 197 99ts
    August 30, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Is that Andrea Mitchell? I’m not too good on US media folks – She didn’t like it – I thought the media would be falling over themselves – my faith is partly restored