Sep

Rise and Shine

BarackObama.com

10:30: President Obama departs the White House

11:30: Arrives in Norfolk, Va.

12:35: Delivers remarks at a campaign event at Norfolk State University

3:35: Departs Norfolk

4:40: Arrives at the White House

Democrats.org

USA Today: President Obama says he’s older and wiser than he was during the heady 2008 campaign, and he has a more complicated message urging voters to stick with him as the country slowly digs out of “a very deep hole” on the economy.

So is the election less fun, the second time around?

“Well, I’ll tell you, it’s different,” he says with a slightly pained expression on his face, then offers: “But the plane is a lot nicer.”

At this moment, Obama is perched on the edge of a swivel chair in his office on that nicer plane, also known as Air Force One, his shirt sleeves rolled up. On the first leg of four days of travel that will take him to the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, he talked with USA TODAY about his Thursday acceptance speech, his policy priorities for a second term and the lessons he’s learned about the need to take his case to the American people over the heads of a polarized Congress.

Read the interview here

iamnumber09

You can see all of today’s schedule here – these are just some of the speakers (all times ET):

5:0 – 6:0 – Call to Order, Invocation, Presentation of Colors, Pledge of Allegiance, National Anthem, Welcome Video. Speakers include: Debbie Wasserman Schultz and Rep. Steny Hoyer.

6:0 – 7:0: Barbara Lee, Cory Booker, Bev Perdue, Pat Quinn, Tim Kaine

7:0 – 8:0: Anthony Foxx, Harry Reid, Jimmy Carter (by video), Ken Salazar, Joe Kennedy III, Robert Wexler

8:0 – 9:0: Nancy Keenan (President of the National Abortion Rights Action League), Tammy Duckworth, James Clyburn

9:0 – 10:0: Ted Strickland, Kathleen Sebelius, Rahm Emanuel, Kal Penn, Craig Robinson and Maya Soetoro-ng, Lilly Ledbetter, Deval Patrick

10:0 – 11:0: Martin O’Malley, Julián Castro, First Lady Michelle Obama

The First Lady and Kal Penn practice a few lines on the stage at the Democratic convention, September 3 (OFA)

Michael Tomasky: The GOP convention was a dud. Now it’s the Democrats’ turn to woo undecided voters — by telling them the truth about what Romney-Ryan will do if they win.

…. To begin with, Obama can certainly make the case that the country overall is better off than it was four years ago. The month he took office, the country lost 818,000 jobs. The next few months were similar. On the day he took office, the Dow Jones average stood at 7,950. It’s now above 13,000. That means a lot of retirement plans have come back to where they once were and then some. Of course there’s the auto bailout, which is relevant to all of us, but especially relevant in key states. And there are the positive effects of the stimulus…

…. This convention must be merciless on what the Republicans are going to do to this country economically … [they] have to … paint a lucid, stark, but completely fair and accurate picture of an opposing campaign that wants to be George W. Bush on steroids….

When Democrats talk details, they win. Because the facts are on their side. When the conversation takes place at the level of banal generalities — Big government! Low taxes! — that’s when Republicans win. People — moderate people — agree with Republican slogans, but once you explain to them what those slogans are going to mean in practice, you peel a sizeable number of them away.

…. But the Democrats can get two or three points out of this week, which may be all they need, and, unlike the Republicans, all they have to do is tell the truth.

Full post here

The DNC 2012 app – read about it here

The Oval: Actor Kal Penn will have a starring role at the Democratic convention hosting the convention’s official livestream prime-time coverage on Thursday leading up to President Obama’s acceptance speech.

…. Penn will host a Hollywood-heavy lineup of livestream show guests including singer Marc Anthony and actors Elizabeth Banks, Aisha Tyler, Olivia Wilde, Fran Drescher, Zach Braff and Alexis Bledel, as well as Obama campaign officials.

Read the Time piece here – Thank you Berny

Paul Krugman: Everybody Does It … That seems to be the new Beltway line, now that the shock over the lie-fest in Tampa has died down a bit. At the Washington Post (except at Ezra’s blog), at Politico, and so on, it’s excuse time — sure, Ryan and Romney told a few whoppers, but isn’t that just how politics is?

More here

Toledo Blade

Short KKTV (Colorado) TV interview with the President here

President Obama talks with auto workers Daniel Schlieman, Heather Finrock and James Fayson at Rick’s City Diner, Toledo, Sept 3 (Toledo Blade)

Daily Beast interview with Stephanie Cutter here

Okay, not everyone’s fired up:

But he is….

(Toledo Blade, September 3)

Morning everyone ;-)

211 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

September 4, 2012 at 8:40 am

Morning Chips and all TOD family! Greetings (convention) visitors! Is it too early to be fired up? Can’t wait to see what’s on today’s menu so that I can plan my day.

Chips, I did a quick peek at the front page of your ‘Before I Sleep’ post (signed off early last night) – what a succinct answer to the stupid ‘Is America better off?’ media hype. Merci! :lol: :lol: Some people ‘don’t know what they’ve got till it’s gone.’

September 4, 2012 at 8:41 am

Huff! Puff! Morning, Berny!

• 16 Dudette
      September 4, 2012 at 8:42 am

Never too early to be fired up, vc! :-)

September 4, 2012 at 8:45 am

GM, Dudette! You started the countdown yet? Clothes ironed and hanging on the hanger? Check. Red dancing shoes by the door. Check. Camera charged. Check.
        :grin: :grin:

• 18 Dudette
          September 4, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Good afternoon, vc!

For me it’ll be more like a mad grab and toss when I get home after work tonight. We’re leaving for Charlotte tomorrow evening. I did start looking for my binoculars though [... now, where did I put those things?].

Doubt I’ll have much energy for dancing except in the stands while we wait for PBO to come out Thursday night. My sister and I will hit Charlotte sometime probably around midnight tomorrow night. Catch a couple hrs of zzzs, then head out for the park-and-ride shuttle to the stadium in Thursday morning. It’s gonna be a loooooong day. I sure hope the raining has stopped by Thursday, but we’ll come prepared. I knew those rain ponchos would come in handy some day! :-)

September 4, 2012 at 12:36 pm

It’s going to be loooong. but well worth it, Dudette! Drive safely, and try for as much rest as you both can get in the in-between times. I know you’ll have a great, emotional time. If you get the opportunity, please give POTUS or FLOTUS one of these hugs {{{Dudette + her sister}}}!

2. 20 Dudette
    September 4, 2012 at 8:40 am

Good Morning!

3. 21 Roberta in MN
    September 4, 2012 at 8:41 am

Congrats Bernie on being #1

September 4, 2012 at 8:41 am

darn it:) 4:30 am wasn’t early enough???!!!

5. 29 Dudette
    September 4, 2012 at 8:41 am

Repeat, but worth it…

September 4, 2012 at 8:45 am

There’s no DO OVERS!!

• 31 Grab a Mop Grace
      September 4, 2012 at 8:52 am

Retroactively, rewriting his convention speech:)
      haha

Obama/Biden 2012

• 32 Ladyhawke
      September 4, 2012 at 9:14 am

LYIN RYAN – “A HISTORY OF EXAGGERATION AND PERVARICATION”

Romney ignored warnings about Ryan’s history of lies, exaggerations

By Capitol Hill Blue
      September 3, 2012

————————–

Campaign professionals vetting Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan as a potential Republican vice presidential candidate warned Mitt Romney‘s strategists that the Congressman had a “history of exaggeration and prevarication” that could become a campaign issue and distraction but the GOP presidential nominee’s team ignored the warnings.

Romney campaign insiders tell Capitol Hill Blue that an intense internal battle raged inside the campaign over Ryan’s history of blatant lies, factual misstatements and exaggerations.

———————————————

NOTE: As one pathological liar to another, it’s understandable why Mitt Romney would be drawn to Paul Ryan. But having two pathological liars on this ticket is really a bit much. It’s hard enough trying to keep up with Romney. It’s is fascinating to learn that Lyin Ryan already had a reputation for dishonesty and Romney decided to go with him anyway. They are like two peas in a pod.

H/T to the person who posted this article yesterday.

• 34 Ladyhawke
      September 4, 2012 at 9:29 am

Video | “LYIN RYAN” Thanks To Twitter, Media Forced To Call Out Paul Ryan’s LYING

HERE’S THE TAKE DOWN OF PAUL RYAN’S SEA OF LIES:

6. 35 Roberta in MN
    September 4, 2012 at 8:44 am

Man, C-Span has on Susan Ferrechio from the Murrdocks Washington Examiner. And so damned biased I am going to go take a shower and get ready to do some work today. Have a great on Chips, VC and Bernie. Are we the only ones up so early?:)

7. 36 vitaminlover
    September 4, 2012 at 8:48 am

FORWARD!

8. 47 Pamela
    September 4, 2012 at 8:59 am

Good morning, Let Us Rock and Roll! :)

9. 48 overseasgranny
    September 4, 2012 at 9:00 am

Morning all. That 3-4 am time for me to see Michelle’s speech is going to be painful, but I’ll be there. There is a site that will live stream the whole convention. Can anyone give me the URL please?
    Chips, Had trouble getting in again this am and cleared only the cache. Didn’t help. But when I cleared the cookies, it worked. Not sure what cookie I am picking up from WordPress but my AVG [or something] doesn’t like it.

10. September 4, 2012 at 9:01 am

Good morning TODers! Our first grandchild, a little 6lb lloz little girl, was born early this a.m. at 1:40. We are beside ourselves with joy! If you want additional motivation for fighting with all your heart for our president, trying holding a precious little newborn. That’s our future and we have to do everything in our power to protect it for all the little ones that enter it.

September 4, 2012 at 9:02 am

G’morning Chips, and thanks for an excellent mishmash, and lineup of the DNC convo schedule!!

G’morning TOD, lurkers, and congratulations berny on #1! :)

12. 83 squarepeg
    September 4, 2012 at 9:04 am

Good morning, everyone. Loved that irish post. I remember when that trip happened, it was a few days before my mother passed away. She never got to see that trip, because she was in surgery, but something went wrong, and a few days later, she passed. Anyway, she adored Obama, and she and I watched videos of him all the time. This would have been one of her favorites to watch. This year will be my first DNC without her. I miss her so much.

September 4, 2012 at 9:05 am

Let’s see what UpChuck Todd will say about FLOTUS’ speech tonight. He was all fawning over Miss Ann last week with this ridiculous tweet.

14. 87 squarepeg
    September 4, 2012 at 9:05 am

15. 88 jackiewg
    September 4, 2012 at 9:05 am

TODers, tried posting earlier, but am on the road and access isn’t working. Our first grandchild was born at 1:40 a.m. this morning–a beautiful litle 6lb 11oz little girl. We are beside ourselves with joy! If you want additional motivation for working your heart out for our president, try holding a precious newborn. That’s the future and we have to do everything in our power to ensure a good one for our little ones.

• September 4, 2012 at 9:06 am

Jackie, a gazillion congratulations again! I found your comments in pending, it must be in a log-in problem, but they’re freed now! Thrilled for you, love to the little one!

16. 90 Grab a Mop Grace
    September 4, 2012 at 9:09 am

Chips, I’ve been catching up on threads and before another day passed I wanted to thank you for your courage and tenacity in powering through the hate that you must deal with daily, and working toward getting our President a second term.
    We can’t imagine what you must have to endure to protect this safe haven for all of us. I am so grateful to you, and for you!
    Every time I have a moment to sit down an catch up, my sons will see me on the computer and say “how’s the Obama Diary”?
    Goes to show you how most of my computer time is spent. You are an oasis in an huge desert of hate. It’s like a fuel that I need a daily fill up of.
    After November 6th, when we all can exhale and celebrate our President’s historic re-election, I’d love to thank you in some way.
    Like a good friend, I’d like to celebrate over dinner and cocktails and laugh and talk until we’re asked to leave the restaurant:)
    I know that is not likely to happen, but I do wish that there was some way to thank you.
    The best that I can do for now is to donate, phone bank and work on persuading everyone that I can to vote for our President.

Let’s all raise our glasses and toast…”Here’s to Chips, Fired up and Ready to Go!”.

Obama/Biden 2012

17. September 4, 2012 at 9:11 am

18. September 4, 2012 at 9:12 am

Good morning, Chips and TOD!!!

I can’t wait to see your coverage Chips!

I agree with Tomasky – all the Dems have to do is TELL THE TRUTH!!

OVER AND OVER AND OVER!!

19. September 4, 2012 at 9:14 am

Chips,
    Look at this line-

20. September 4, 2012 at 9:20 am

But disappointed and enthusiasm gap?

21. September 4, 2012 at 9:22 am

Inquiring Republican Muggles want to know:

22. September 4, 2012 at 9:23 am

Nicki Minaj is an idiot. That is all.

• 105 squarepeg
      September 4, 2012 at 10:27 am

You know I seriously doubt she knows anything about politics at ALL. She onced rambled on twitter about a gay teenage who committed suicide and asked if Obama was going to do something. Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson” from The Roots answered her stupid tweet and told her that if she were following Obama she’d know that he’s doing a lot fo LGBT issues. So you’re right, she is an idiot. And she knows NOTHING about politics. She was probably just making a rhyme.

23. 106 Ladyhawke
    September 4, 2012 at 9:23 am

Cable News’ One-Sided Attempt To Answer The Question “Are You Better Off Than You Were?”

By JEREMY HOLDEN (Media Matters)

———————————-

Cable news outlets are attempting to assess the economy by once again asking the question, “are you better off than you were four years ago?” but they are leaving out half the story. A Media Matters analysis found that in 60 percent of the segments attempting to answer that question, no context was given to help viewers assess where the economy was in late 2008, when millions of jobs were lost.

————————————–

Check out the charts in the post….

24. September 4, 2012 at 9:25 am

I guess, Robert Duval is throwing a fundraiser for Willard?
    Duval is a Robney supporter???

• 108 Diane
      September 4, 2012 at 9:31 am

That’s hard to believe…he seemed intelligent. He must be an even better actor than I thought.

• 109 cluny
      September 4, 2012 at 9:32 am

Yeah – he’s a total right winger. Halperin speculates that Clint Eastwood is likely to make future campaign appearances with RR – doubtless in an attempt to wipe his rotten, rambling performance from everybody’s collective memory. And the rethugs will yell ‘see we have celebrities too’.

• September 4, 2012 at 9:33 am

He’s bonkers, Jovie – but that’s just my humble opinion :-)

Duvall’s political views are variously described as libertarian or conservative.[9] He was personally invited to Republican President George W. Bush’s inauguration in 2001. In September 2007, he announced his support for Republican Presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani.[29] Duvall worked the floor at the GOP’s 2008 national convention[30] and, according to an August 29, 2008 MSNBC article, Duvall narrated most of the videos for the convention. In September 2008, he appeared on stage at a John McCain-Sarah Palin rally in New Mexico.

In 2012, Duvall endorsed Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney.

• 112 57andfemale
      September 4, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Duvall is a RAVING RWNJ, just a shade better than Hank Williams, Jr. He’s monstrous.

I have trouble watching any of his great films but admit to a weakness for Lonesome Dove (although Tommy Lee Jones’ performance is the real star).

25. September 4, 2012 at 9:33 am

• 115 Diane
      September 4, 2012 at 9:41 am

Can’t remember where I read this–Paul Ryan was named biggest brown noser in his high school yearbook. As my husband always says, “A leopard can’t change his spots.”

26. September 4, 2012 at 9:36 am

I told my Mother that I am enjoying NC, She was all upset at Mirning Joke.
    For saying, it’s going to rain and the Jobs report Friday will suck.
    I told Her, that he is not a Fortune Teller, and he is just praying and hoping something bad happens.
    Morning Joke, getting my Mom upset…

27. 117 Ladyhawke
    September 4, 2012 at 9:43 am

A ‘record to run on’

By Steve Benen

——————————–

Often, the Republican line takes the opposite tack — Obama has done too much, approving too many policies that are too progressive. Ryan is now saying, in effect, “Never mind all of those accomplishments we condemned, the new line is the accomplishments don’t exist.”

People can and should argue about whether Obama’s successes have been worthwhile, whether they were ambitious enough, and whether they were effective, but whether one approves of the president or not, the fact remains the successes are real.
    Republicans disapprove of these measures, as is their right. But to say the president “has no record to run on” is kind of silly, even by Paul Ryan standards.

————————–

28. 118 57andFemale
    September 4, 2012 at 9:43 am

twitter is all — well – atwitter with Madelyn Albright laying waste to Scarborough and Andrea Mitchell. all of a sudden the RW has discovered foreign policy? Except for Condi taking credit for every success, McCain declaring full-scale war on the paper boy who threw the paper on his lawn, R&R were MIA on foreign policy.

• September 4, 2012 at 9:53 am

I saw her – lucky! Here’s an example of what 57andFemale means

zizi2 ‏@zizii2
      Madeline Albright answer to Romney position that Russia is no 1 enemy: “if U live in the 20th century U might think that, we’re in the 21st”

• September 4, 2012 at 9:54 am

And then, there’s this from Huff Puff (loathe to link to it) ‘I can’t understand why any woman would want to vote for Mitt Romney.’ Madeleine Albright 9/3/2012

29. September 4, 2012 at 9:44 am

Good morning Chips and TOD. HOPE you all have a terrific Tuesday.

Think it is time for this. Haven’t done it for a while. Please join me in lighting a candle for our President, First Family and the Nation.

September 4, 2012 at 9:46 am

• 125 57andFemale
      September 4, 2012 at 10:16 am

Chysler up over 14% as well. And lest we fall for the mendacity, the ENTIRE auto industry was helped with the GM bailout, which kept supply lines running.

There would be no American auto industry without PBO’s efforts and vision.

One thing we never hear: the unions made significant concessions (which were necessary) but if and when the auto industry returned to profit, they were given bonuses. As I recall, last Christmas this was a big deal and yet we hear nothing about it now.
      \

• September 4, 2012 at 10:12 am

But disappointment and enthusiasm gap and…

• 132 Ladyhawke
      September 4, 2012 at 10:18 am

Thanks HF. I am really smdh with this nonsense from reporters about this election not being fun to cover. The reason it is not fun is that social media is making it harder for them to blow smoke in the face of the American people. The media firewall has been compromised and the jackals are not happy about it.

It really makes me laugh when a Democrat starts telling a bit of truth on these talk shows. Hosts like Mrs. Greenspan, Joe Scarborough and Chuck Todd get very uncomfortable. They get really desperate when the facts start to flow because it makes the GOP look bad (deservedly so). Watching Tweety school , Mrs Greenspan yesterday was absolutely delicious. She was visibly stunned and fumbling with her papers. Chris was really great and the crowd was with him. I have my moments with Tweety but you can tell he has a disdain for Romney and he is genuinely outraged by the voter suppression.

September 4, 2012 at 10:07 am

September 4, 2012 at 10:08 am

33. September 4, 2012 at 10:11 am

I intend to tweet to all these 7 Ryan enablers, my first try:

34. 137 Mae who love our CIC
    September 4, 2012 at 10:11 am

Joel Benenson is a very good advocate for the Democratic Party. C-Span. Polling and 2012 Election.

September 4, 2012 at 10:14 am

Does stef cutter have a BF?

September 4, 2012 at 10:15 am

The pro-Obama super PAC Priorities USA reported a record fundraising haul of $10 million in August, the New York Times reports:

“Democrats have seen the threat from Karl Rove and the Koch brothers and they are responding,” said Bill Burton, a spokesman for Priorities USA. “There is still a long way to go, but this is a big step in the right direction to getting President Obama re-elected.”

• 143 TrumpDog
      September 4, 2012 at 11:07 am

Isn’t it funny how they give Obama NO credit for getting Osama bin Laden (saying it was the SEALS that did it) but yet he gets ALL the blame for GM folding in Lyin RYAN’S district????
      :roll: :roll: :roll:

37. 144 cindysweatt
    September 4, 2012 at 10:20 am

Dear Chips: I hope you will be able to capture and post the speeches. I am committed to canvasing both Tues. and Wed. evenings. I don’t want to miss the speeches this evening. If you can do this it would be great! If not that would be okay too. Thanks for all you do. This week will be great. (Canvasing not so much)

September 4, 2012 at 10:23 am

Martin:)

39. 148 donna dem 4 obama
    September 4, 2012 at 10:24 am

You know I cannot remember over the last 8 elections where the Presidential candidate got NO bump in the polls from their convention. In reality Romney got nothing, nada, ziltch!!!

As bad a candidate as McCain was in 2008 even he got an 8 point bump from his convention. Romney 2 pts (maybe). He is a pathetic candidate. It’s like that woman with the adams apple said, if they (the Repubs) pick Romney they will lose! The only true thing Coulter has ever spoken.

40. 151 JER
    September 4, 2012 at 10:25 am

Awaiting President Obama departure for Norfolk, Va. – http://www.cbsnews.com/liveFeed/widget.shtml

41. September 4, 2012 at 10:25 am

42. 153 Ladyhawke
    September 4, 2012 at 10:27 am

WAITING FOR THE NEXT ROMNEY-RYAN LIE TO EMERGE

The sudden disappearance of the welfare lie

By Steve Benen

————————-

So, over the course of about a week, this one transparent falsehood went from being the most potent attack in the Republican arsenal to a lie Romney and his team suddenly didn’t want to repeat.

What happened? For now, we can only speculate — the campaign has not explained the shift — but I wonder whether the allegations of racism started to take a toll.

Not only had every independent analysis proven that Romney was blatantly lying, but there was a growing consensus that the Republican was deliberately trying to exploit racism to advance his ambitions.

On Wednesday, the day before Romney’s speech, National Journal’s Ron Fournier wrote a lengthy piece making clear that the GOP candidate has been playing a carefully-crafted racial game, and given Fournier’s credibility with the political establishment, his analysis was widely noticed, and raised questions anew about how far the former governor would go to base his campaign on an ugly, divisive deception.

————————————-

43. September 4, 2012 at 10:27 am

I guess, Bill O the Clown said that instead of Dropping Balloons on Sandra Fluke(at the DNC), he suggested they drop Condoms.
    WTF?

44. 159 criquet
    September 4, 2012 at 10:29 am

Morning all . Congrats to Jackie & family on the new little one.

45. 161 donna dem 4 obama
    September 4, 2012 at 10:31 am

Today is Alycee’s Birthday.

Let’s surprise her with a few $3.00 donations to her Obama Campaign Fundraiser

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALYCEE!!!!!!!!!

46. 165 sabreen60
    September 4, 2012 at 10:35 am

I really try not to “HEAR” the negativity. And I definitely try not to let it affect me. I do not like Van Jones. I turn on the TV and what do I hear. “People are not as enthusiastic as they were in 2008″ ~ Van Jones. I tweeted him & asked him to STFU. If he’s not a supporter of the Dems & President Obama, fine. At least have the balls to say that so people will know his agenda. I’m sorry TOD, but I don’t like this guy and haven’t liked him for a long time. It’s just like what Rachael did last night. We do not need this bullshit now!!!

47. September 4, 2012 at 10:41 am

When Paul Ryan said last week he had run a sub-3-hour marathon, America’s running community had to be impressed.

That’s sub-7-minute miles for 26.2 miles, a tough task for most runners – including young ones, which is what Ryan was when he said he ran his marathon.

But it turns out Ryan lied about his marathon performance.

As it turns out, Ryan’s lie has become of a disturbing trend for the GOP’s vice-presidential candidate.

• 169 COS
      September 4, 2012 at 10:48 am

Good morning Chips. This guy can’t help himself. This was an uncalled for lie. It appears that he really needs therapy. I am not sure who is worse; Ryan or Robney? I was happy that Rev al, and Ed covered this.

• September 4, 2012 at 10:51 am

Morning COS. Steve Benen and Paul Krugman were so right about this yesterday, on the face of it seems like a trivial enough thing, but it says so, so much about the guy – lying is just in his nature.

• 171 japa21
          September 4, 2012 at 10:56 am

Reminiscent of Clinton’s lie about coming under fire. It was totally unnecessary. It was unlikely to be much of a benefit and having it come out as a lie became a negative.
          With Ryan, it shows a pattern. That is what is starting to spread and once started is hard to recover from.

• September 4, 2012 at 11:05 am

You know Japa, he really reminds me of that Tory twat Jeffrey Archer, the guy just couldn’t tell the truth about anything, no matter how trivial. It’s a very strange condition, and Ryan seems to have it bad.

• September 4, 2012 at 11:13 am

EXACTLY. It shows that his own self-aggrandizement and the need to feed his ego are of primary importance. He believes this is what matters in his life and to lie about it is something that comes very, very naturally to him. He and Romney are soul brothers.

• 174 COS
          September 4, 2012 at 10:59 am

I told my sister that the world is watching us and Robney and Ryan have developed a reputation as liars. If they were to win, (of course they won’t) I shutter to think how other world leaders would relate to them. Sometimes, the only thing one has to rely on is their word and a handshake. It is frightening.

• 175 Obama Grandmama
            September 4, 2012 at 3:06 pm

COS my thoughts exactly!
            Also just in the last couple of days my very conservative sister-in-law told me she is now for Obama. She said he is so honest. He is not like Romney who lies all the time. She especially is now favoring the ACA as she is a hospital lab manager and is seeing the good effects of the law firsthand. I had been telling her for so long how good this law and bill were and she was arguing against it. She even told me she likes Michelle Obama and said she views me as very intelligent as I knew from before he ran he would be a great president. She said it took her longer to get where I was a very long time ago. I about fainted. I have always thought people need time to actually appreciate the ACA. WE NEED MORE TIME. 4 more years! We can’t have the ACA stopped before it even gets in.

• 176 99ts
      September 4, 2012 at 11:07 am

Watching President Obama run up the steps on AF1 – he demonstrates how fit he is – every single day – doesn’t have to talk about what he did – he just does it.

My first husband lied like Ryan to give himself unearned achievements. You cope with a couple – but when it happens again and again – it does need therapy. I wonder how the family copes with the lies. I doubt the brother was involved with the “explanation”

• 177 overseasgranny
        September 4, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I watched the President zip down the stairs and the thought crossed my mind that RobMe couldn’t do that in a million years and I doubt Ryan is that co-ordinated either.

48. September 4, 2012 at 10:47 am

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — At a panel event at the NASCAR Hall of Fame hosted by ABC and Yahoo News, Obama campaign Jim Messina confessed a love of the car racing events.

Messina and two other Obama staffers — deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter and press secretary Ben LaBolt — were asked by ABC’s Jake Tapper if any had ever been to a NASCAR event.

“Yes I have,” Messina immediately said.

His other two Obama campaign colleagues, however, have never attended a race.

“I have always wanted to,” Cutter said diplomatically.

The Boston-area native and Smith College graduate added that NASCAR was “not a big thing in Massachusetts.”

LaBolt said that he grew up in Indiana and attended car races, but never NASCAR events.

• 179 japa21
      September 4, 2012 at 10:57 am

This is what honesty is about. No need to lie, even if the lie may seem to be the thing to do to create more support.

• 180 COS
        September 4, 2012 at 11:07 am

I just heard the reporter on Current TV say that lyin Ryan gave 3 interviews this morning and he doubled down on the medicare lie.

• September 4, 2012 at 11:10 am

Jake Tapper, serious investigative reporter digging deep into Nascar culture for a big headline because….. GAH, they are such vile idiots.

49. September 4, 2012 at 10:54 am

The President has a good lead in Colorado and Michigan-

50. 183 redbird45 (@redbird45)
    September 4, 2012 at 10:58 am

Hey guys remember the school potus visited befor getting elected in south carolina,where the student wrote pres of help with her school horrible structure. well potus did and the school is now opening new. I wish Msm would be honest. This is a great story of how things is better since potus. http://www.thestate.com/2012/09/01/2421309/school-dedication-ceremony-prompts.html#.UEYV19ZlRMg Please retweet this story.The young lady who wrote the letter was a student and a guest at the first state of the union.

51. 185 daisydem
    September 4, 2012 at 11:04 am

Scrolled down to say, the little girl who is sleeping, not “fired up” is however resting comfortable and securely knowing her President is Barack Obama!

September 4, 2012 at 11:17 am

53. September 4, 2012 at 11:18 am

The state Board of Elections has rejected the Republican Party’s bid to keep the name of Constitution Party presidential candidate Virgil Goode off the Virginia ballot.

That is very good. 5-10k votes for Her away from Robney, maybe more.

54. September 4, 2012 at 11:19 am

55. 190 COS
    September 4, 2012 at 11:25 am

Charlie Pierce is on Stephanie Miller’s show right now.

56. September 4, 2012 at 11:25 am

Ryan response to GM being alive and well?
    Not in my State.

Is that true? Not one GM Plant in Wisconsin?

57. September 4, 2012 at 11:26 am

58. 197 99ts
    September 4, 2012 at 11:27 am

“Former congressman Virgil Goode Jr. has qualified for the presidential ballot in Virginia, the State Board of Elections ruled Tuesday morning, adding a potential obstacle to Republican Mitt Romney’s hopes of winning the pivotal state.”

59. 199 Ladyhawke
    September 4, 2012 at 11:28 am

The bloom falls from Ryan’s rose

By Steve Benen

———————————-

In other words, Ryan — hailed by the media as an honest “wonk” who loves facts and figures — was off by a factor of 29. (Kudos to the New York Times, by the way, for telling readers the truth, rather just publishing Ryan’s falsehood because he said it.)

And in the bigger picture, Jon Chait explains that Ryan’s reputation “has suffered a massive, swift erosion…. Now mainstream pundits are defending Ryan with versions of the ‘well, all politicians fib’ defense. Given that this constituency was once portraying Ryan as unusually honest, this represents a huge retreat for his political brand.”

It’s about time.

———————–

60. September 4, 2012 at 11:38 am

So, as promised, I did a series of tweets to the 7 top Paul Ryan enablers ( couldn’t find Patrick O’Connor from WSJ). If you wouldn’t mind re-tweeting, so that the enablers get this message multiple times, it would have more impact. Thanks.

61. September 4, 2012 at 11:52 am

And PBO is off and running.

Even with those big breakfasts and burgers on the road, he is looking ultra fit these days.

62. 205 squarepeg
    September 4, 2012 at 11:55 am

63. 207 Ladyhawke
    September 4, 2012 at 12:00 pm

YET ANOTHER MAINSTREAM EUPHEMISM FOR LYING – “FINESSING THE FACTS”

When Candidates Lie, REAL Journalists Say They ‘Finessed the Facts’

Posted on 09/03/2012 by Jim Naureckas

——————————–

Why don’t you show us how a real journalist does it, Ms. Stanley?

On Thursday, Mr. [Chris] Matthews fulminated against Paul Ryan’s–admittedly misleading–assertion that Mr. Obama did nothing to prevent the closing of a GM plant in 2008. Then Fox News attacked media figures who attacked Mr. Ryan. CNN took the harder course of parsing the entire issue: The correspondent Tom Foreman gave a long, industrious analysis that explained where and how Mr. Ryan finessed the facts.

There you go: To avoid staining your journalistic siblings, never “fulminate” against political deception. Instead, when candidates lie, gently report that they “finessed the facts.”

With journalistic standards like that in place, the Romney/Ryan team will never pay a price for refusing “to let our campaign be dictated by factcheckers.”

———————————-

64. 209 JER
    September 4, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Live: http://www.wavy.com/generic/news/president-obama-visits-norfolk-state – People supporting PBO and stating why they are better off now.

65. 211 criquet