Sep

Charlotte, Day 3 – Fired Up?

BarackObama.com * MSNBC 1 * MSNBC 2 * C-Span * CNN * CBS 1 * CBS 2

All times ET

4:30 – 6:0: Kay Hagan * Walter Dalton * G.K. Butterfield * David Price * Mel L. Watt * James Rogers * Live Performance: James Taylor * Antonio R. Villaraigosa * Reverend Gabriel Salguero * Presentation of Colors * Pledge of Allegiance * National Anthem: Marc Anthony * Progress for People Video: Seniors * Carol Berman * Donna F. Edwards * Barney Frank * Harvey Gantt

6:0 – 7:0: John Lewis * Stronger Together Video: Don’t Ask Don’t Tell * Jason Crow * Live Performance: Mary J. Blige * Debbie Wasserman Schultz * Antonio R. Villaraigosa * Tammy Baldwin *  Michael Nutter * Stay Stronger Together Video: Marriage Equality * Zach Wahls

7:0 – 8:0: Jim Messina * American Heroes Video: Auto Workers * Kenyetta Jones, Ryan Case, Ed Meagher, Martha Figueroa, Lucas Beenken, Rob Hach * Vice Presidential Nomination Intro * Antonio R. Villaraigosa * Beau Biden * Vote by Acclamation * Live Performance: Foo Fighters * James E. Clyburn * Scarlett Johansson and Kerry Washington

8:0: Kal Penn’s live coverage of the convention (barackobama.com/convention)

8:0 – 9:0: Caroline Kennedy * Xavier Becerra * Jennifer Granholm * Eva Longoria * Brian Schweitzer * Charlie Crist * John Kerry

9:0 – 10:0: Video: Veterans * John B. Nathman * Angie Flores * Jill Biden * Vice President Joe Biden Video * VP Joe Biden

10:0– 11:0: Video and Remarks * Dick Durbin * President Barack Obama Video * President Obama * Benediction: Cardinal Timothy Dolan

Detailed schedule here

Lots more Convention videos at the PBS, DemConvention2012 and BarackObama YouTube channels

201 Responses to “Charlotte, Day 3 – Fired Up?”

1. 1 ourmanflint
    September 6, 2012 at 4:22 pm

yes, thanks for asking

2. 8 theo67
    September 6, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Ready to go!

3. 9 Roberta in MN
    September 6, 2012 at 4:22 pm

HI 1st ???

4. 10 Proud Former White House Intern
    September 6, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Yep

5. 12 ourmanflint
    September 6, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Chips, I am so impressed how have responded and have taken this blog to a higher level . Wow. Congrats!!!!

September 6, 2012 at 4:25 pm

7. 14 Dakota
    September 6, 2012 at 4:27 pm

First????

September 6, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Doesn’t the Kal Penn DNC online live stream begin at 8PM ET? Do we go to barackobama.com to watch that?

9. 25 nospin
    September 6, 2012 at 4:31 pm

it could not have happened to a better guy.

On Assange and on CNN, Glenn Greenwald is talking out of his hat and is an embarrassment to The Guardian

You may not be familiar with the work of Glenn Greenwald. He’s an American journalist, recently hired by the Guardian as a heavy hitter to write on liberty and security. However, since arriving, he’s caused nothing but red faces at King’s Place. He hasn’t had a good start, being knocked pillar to post by British journalists for making basic factual and sourcing errors.

10. September 6, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Just in from Rufus Gifford!

I’ve been at the convention arena since Monday. My suit is wrinkled, my feet are killing me, and I think I’ve nearly killed my phone battery from overuse.

So I have to make this quick: It’s been amazing. The enthusiasm here is off the charts, and the President hasn’t even taken the stage yet.

But what’s more remarkable is what’s happening right now across the country: There have been 323,963 grassroots donations so far this week.

Before he takes the stage, show the President you stand with him, too. Donate today:

Thank you!!

Rufus

• 27 donna dem 4 obama
      September 6, 2012 at 4:39 pm

The donation links have crashed because of overload each night this week after FLOTUS and President Clinton spoke. That’s a good thing ;)

• 28 cookemom
        September 6, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I got an email from OFA to send our fundraiser pages to all our friends so that they can donate tonight during the convention. I never thought a site crash would mean good news. I hope they get it back up soon.

• 29 donna dem 4 obama
          September 6, 2012 at 6:00 pm

It was only temporary because everyone was donating at the same time. I told people to give it a few moments and try again. They went through okay.

11. September 6, 2012 at 4:36 pm

12. 31 4morefor44
    September 6, 2012 at 4:38 pm

some people here earlier were skeptical of reports saying the republicans have pulled ads from penn and michigan, and how that could be a ploy to make democrats complacent. i see reports now adding ohio and wisconsin to that list. that seems crazy now, and maybe there is something to that theory. there’s no way they’d be giving up wisconsin and especially ohio so soon, is there? i remember mccain making some crazy moves along the way like this, so maybe it’s true and they’re just that stupid. they have plenty of money to spend. what else would they be spending it on? they can’t put it all into florida, since they’re probably going to lose there too.

my worry now is the republican superpacs giving up the presidential and putting massive money into local races, such as going after elizabeth warren and others. we must stay vigilant no matter what republicans try to do!!!

• September 6, 2012 at 4:44 pm

If it’s true, it’s smart. I suspect their internals have them fearing a trouncing all the way to the bottom of almost all State tickets. They are probably looking at the potential of a 1936 and even the Kochs and Wall St dudes are smart enough to try to save as many seats in Congress and the States as possible that would be receptive to their lobbying.

• 34 Roberta in MN
      September 6, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I still think you have to watch the voting machines in those state that have GOP Secretary of States. Blackwell gave OHIO to GWB in 2004. Keep and eye at TheBradBlog. he is really into investigating voter machine frauds.

• 35 4morefor44
        September 6, 2012 at 5:01 pm

yes, i’ve been following this issue for years. not sure why it’s been so hard to get traction on the electionic voting machines and have something done about them. i feel it needs to be totally old school with levers and paper. even those ones you fill in the arrow and slide it into a machine, have been shown to be easily changed, and in fact those are as easy to change vote totals as the touchscreen ones.

and theo, i’m thinking it’s a trick of some sort. has to be, or either they’re tanking so badly that they’re giving up the presidential. either way, we’ve got to work harder than ever on local races to get president obama a strong congress.

• 36 theo67
      September 6, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Personally, I think they’re making these announcements to clear the way for the SuperPACs to air the dirtiest, most vile ads – and then Romney can simply say “I have nothing to do with it; I have no ad dollars in those places”. This is a trick.

• 37 Margie James
      September 6, 2012 at 5:53 pm

I live in MI,
      and don’t trust the repubs and Rove. I’m going all out for PBO!

13. 38 Tally
    September 6, 2012 at 4:42 pm

September 6, 2012 at 4:43 pm

That’s who I was looking for, too – Caroline Kennedy!

15. September 6, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I am fired up and ready to go

16. September 6, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Dudette:
    Was concerned about you after announcement that tonight’s events are indoors; didn’t see your update — where are you watching POTUS’ acceptance speech?

4morefor44:
    Couldn’t agree more with you re: Chuck (Toad) Todd. He was tolerable earlier, but now doesn’t even try to hide his partisanship. My guess is that he’s lining his pockets via R-money some way or another.

On a brighter note:

17. 48 Tally
    September 6, 2012 at 4:46 pm

18. 49 Claire
    September 6, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Did Gabby lead the pledge already? Did I miss it?

19. 51 Dudette
    September 6, 2012 at 4:49 pm

So we’re walking along when a white full of people pulls up near a checkpoint that we just passed. Van door slides open and 2 women come from no where and step in. I can’t hear them cuz I’m too busy bitching, but Sis figured out from what she heard that the van people were Mary j,Blige’s crew…

20. 57 Roberta in MN
    September 6, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Not yet after these speakers andthe Colors come out.

21. 59 4morefor44
    September 6, 2012 at 4:53 pm

crowd is really fired up for being so early in the day. going to be wild tonight! ready to go!!

22. 60 Roberta in MN
    September 6, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Duke Energy CEO doesn’t seem to knowhow to use the telepromter. Or they weren’t ready for him yet. :)

23. September 6, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I just sent this question to Jim Lehrer. If anyone else wants to know, please also send.

For Mr. Romney, “You have stated that you believe that a girl or woman who is pregnant through rape or incest or whose pregnancy threatens her life should be able to exercise her constitutional right to an abortion. What you haven’t said is whether a republican congress put a bill on your desk outlawing abortion in all cases you would sign it. What is your answer?”

24. September 6, 2012 at 4:58 pm

GOP looks forward to Friday jobs report
    By ALEXANDER BURNS | 9/6/12 4:21 PM
    After the president’s speech tonight, expect Republicans to turn the page by pointing to the jobless numbers being released tomorrow.

That is Sick!

September 6, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Oh my. My great grandson gives fist bumps. Is he a terrorist? At 20 mos. old? (Love this video they’re playing.)

September 6, 2012 at 5:00 pm

C-span has he best coverage of DNC2012. I’m all choked up at the videos they’re showing about how far we’ve come and the huge accomplishments under Pres. Obama

27. September 6, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Obama speech to follow soaring stocks
    By MACKENZIE WEINGER | 9/6/12 4:53 PM
    President Barack Obama will take the stage at the Democratic National Convention on Thursday night just hours after two U.S. stock indices closed at levels not seen in years.

Boom!

28. September 6, 2012 at 5:02 pm

James Taylor!!!!!!

Oh snap – empty chair comment

Carolina…swooning here

September 6, 2012 at 5:02 pm

James Taylor did an empty chair joke. Good for him!

September 6, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Too bad James Taylor has started already with the state-sponsored (Carolina) socialist communist song. Oh, never mind, it’s “you people” folk music. My bad.

September 6, 2012 at 5:08 pm

James: “Thank you, fellow Democrats! … I’ve been watching some of the coverage, and I don’t get it. I’m an old white guy and I love Barack Obama!”

September 6, 2012 at 5:04 pm

James Taylor is hilarious.

31. 86 prettyfoot58
    September 6, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Fireddddddddddddddddddddd UP……READY To GOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

September 6, 2012 at 5:08 pm

33. 88 Dudette
    September 6, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Kept walking and finally hit the crowd. Smiling, happy people. I’m not feeling it yet. Fuck man, can we just get somewhere and sit down? Suddenly I see a face in the crowd coming toward me that I recognize – Michael Isikoff (only a truly politics nerd would recognize this dude in a crowd). I’m overcome with smug satisfaction. Sis just shrugs. :eye roll:

34. 91 57andfemale
    September 6, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Steve Schmidt just makes me sad. He believes in a reasonable Republican party, he really does. But instead of being brave and standing up and taking your lumps for the choices made, he slithers through the muck, going only as deep as he thinks necessary. It’s just pathetic.

Some current Republican — just one — needs to say that they effed up and they continued to eff up during the Obama administration, and forge a path back to center-right sanity. Where conservatives can become scientists, and compromises can be made. There really is no one, because every one of them has kissed the ass of the tea party and will never be able to walk it back. They all fed the beast — something else they can’t take responsibility for.

I really never get mad at Schmidt. He’s just aware enough to be sickened by his own utterances and that just makes me sad.

• 92 theo67
      September 6, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Oh – I get sickened by Steve Schmidt. He let Sarah Palin get *that* close to the Presidency, knowing what she was. Pundits and people want to act like McCain did everybody a big favor by grabbing the microphone out of the bigoted woman’s hands when she called President Obama an “Arab”, but he stoked those fires; he caused that to happen. It was HIS campaign that had people calling out “kill him”, etc. And Steve Schmidt had a front row seat – he approved every vile thing that happened in that campaign, and then he ran into Sarah Palin and was upstaged by her. He couldn’t control her, but he wanted her to eligible to become the most powerful person in the world. And just last week, he was “outraged” when the MSNBC panel said that Condi & Co deliberately lied to get America into war. And yet, he knows that’s exactly what they did. I have no ounce of compassion for Steve Schmidt. He will never get over the fact that he brought Palin and her ugliness to America’s attention. And he probably voted for the ticket.

• 93 57andfemale
        September 6, 2012 at 5:24 pm

You’re absolutely right. I just think he’s one of the few to know the bargain he’s made with the devil and yet he refuses to renounce that devil and do the right thing. It’s pathetic, but righteous anger at the damage he did to his nation and his party — I totally get that.

35. September 6, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Now that looks like a lot of love at the DNC convention,

36. 96 Roberta in MN
    September 6, 2012 at 5:12 pm

James Taylor brings tears to the eyes of this old broad. :) The chair was really good.

• 97 kathryn kivett
      September 6, 2012 at 6:01 pm

ME TOOOOOOOO!….I mean, what more could a woman want….Sweet Baby James and Barack Obama in one night….Pats you and me on back for have EXCELLENT taste……

37. 98 Roberta in MN
    September 6, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Just me and my dog home tonight and clapping by myself, she is going to hide now.

• September 6, 2012 at 5:21 pm

ME TOO, Roberta! Love seeing the love in the room. Yes, I’m also checking the weather and am breathing a sigh of relief to see that the storms are rolling as predicted. I KNOW folks are super disappointed who had tickets to the stadium but safety first. Hopefully area businesses are opening up their buildings, restaurants, hotels, etc. to allow a bunch of mini-watch parties to watch the convention.

September 6, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I’d love to see President Obama singing with James right now! They’re both “celebrities,” dontcha know. How sweet it is!

39. September 6, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Go James Taylor, how sweet it is to be loved by you

40. September 6, 2012 at 5:15 pm

PARTY DOWN!!!! DEMS IN TOWN!!!!

September 6, 2012 at 5:16 pm

James isn’t the only “old white guy” in the hall tonight! Some of them can even … uh … dance!

41. 105 donna dem 4 obama
    September 6, 2012 at 5:15 pm

This is sooooooo good!!!!!!!!!!

September 6, 2012 at 5:16 pm

43. September 6, 2012 at 5:18 pm

September 6, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Mavis! One of my favorite songs! Ain’t nobody crying!

45. 112 prettyfoot58
    September 6, 2012 at 5:19 pm

THEY ARE JAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMIN…..HA!!!!!!!!!

46. September 6, 2012 at 5:20 pm

OMG, I wish we were all together!! This is such a BLAST!!

47. 120 cookemom
    September 6, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Somebody hep me now! Dancin in my seat, high-fiving the TV. Yee Haaaawww!!!

48. 122 57andfemale
    September 6, 2012 at 5:22 pm

James Taylor, you made me remember what it was like to be 20 years old again. What a warm, welcome, heartfelt performance.

49. 123 prettyfoot58
    September 6, 2012 at 5:24 pm

HEAR IT IS STORMING IN CHARLOTTE!

50. 124 Melanie
    September 6, 2012 at 5:25 pm

51. September 6, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Questions.

Twitter warriors: Are we ready to crash Twitter tonight? I know I am!

Volunteers: Have you signed up for events this weekend? I and my trusty laptop will be somewhere in Venice adding data to OFA.

Donations: Are you planning to donate? As soon as spousal unit has her check direct deposited in our SHINY NEW CREDIT UNION ACCOUNT, a few folks will get a bit of change.

Fired up? Damned right! Ready to go? To Mars and back!

• 127 Cman
      September 6, 2012 at 5:28 pm

“Fired up? Damned right! Ready to go? To Mars and back!”

YES! THIS!

• 128 theo67
      September 6, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Don’t forget – if anyone can donate tonight before the President accepts his nomination, then it will count towards the Primary maximum, not the General Election fund. But, it has to be before he accepts the nomination.

52. 129 Vicki
    September 6, 2012 at 5:26 pm

James Taylor. i’ll take you there. Everyone dancing. It is a party. It’s only 5:22 and i am filled with emotion. TOD Spare youself the chattering on MSNBC and turn up the sound on CSPAN.
    The first 2 days of the convention, today the financial news.
    Today and tonight The democratic Party our supporters and PBO will bring it all home.

53. 131 Melanie
    September 6, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Marc Anthony!!

54. 132 Claire
    September 6, 2012 at 5:28 pm

He sounds wonderful!

55. 133 Rita
    September 6, 2012 at 5:29 pm

wow, Marc Anthony is great!

56. September 6, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Per weather.com, re: Charlotte:

A period of showers and thunderstorms between 7pm and 10pm. Partly cloudy with temperatures falling into the mid 70s. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 90%.

But meteorology is liberal as well. :roll:

57. 139 Vicki
    September 6, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Hope youall turned up your sound. Marc Anthony Rocked. 5:29 and I am tearing up. Better put a tissue box near the sofa.

• September 6, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I hear you, Vicki. I’m already very, very choked up. I know the people there are having a terrific time and they will be showered with awesomeness all night. It’s such a total BLISS to have the livestream to take us there, too.

58. 141 Claire
    September 6, 2012 at 5:30 pm

My Dad just called me he’s teared up already. :)

59. September 6, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Marc Anthony!!! BEAUTIFUL….

60. 143 Melanie
    September 6, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Did I miss Gabby Giffords; I thought she was doing the Pledge of Allegiance?

61. 146 Robin
    September 6, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Cspan is the best! Next best thing to being there! I am so excited. Tonight i just took over the TV and put on the surround sound and I’m gonna party like im in NC! FIRED UP AND READY TO GO!!!!

62. September 6, 2012 at 5:36 pm

63. 150 donna dem 4 obama
    September 6, 2012 at 5:37 pm

My Congresswoman – Donna Edwards!!!!!!!!!

64. 152 cookemom
    September 6, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Did UTube pull the telephone call PBO made to supporters today? It was here on one of the threads, can’t find it now, nor on the webz.

September 6, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Did we just see C-Span trying to find the “other gay guys” in the crowd shots? Unreal. Go, Barney Frank!

66. 160 Rita
    September 6, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Zach Wahls is coming on just before 7pm. Should be great. What an inspiring young man!

67. 163 Eveingeorgia
    September 6, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Tweety is getting ridiculous with Clinton 2016 prognostication. It really is irritating. Is it just me? Does anybody else find this sort of unsettling and perhaps dismissive of President Obama?

• 164 4morefor44
      September 6, 2012 at 5:50 pm

yes, i find it really disrespectful. we have elections to win right now. it’s like deja vu all over again with the media pushing the “hillary is inevitable” crap. how well did that work out for them? i can’t believe they’re gearing that up again, and to do it at this point in time is ridiculous. we’re moving forward, not backward!!

• 165 carolyn
      September 6, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Tweety lets his obsessions control him! I make this prediction right now: Hillary is not going to run in 2016. She is 65 right now, she will be 69 in 2016. You reach an age where you don’t want the hassle! She has truly enjoyed being SOS, and has done a superb job! Why should she put herself through the muck and mire of a primary season? She’s been there done that.
      I read that she wants to teach and be able to just be. She will get scores of offers to teach, and how exciting it would be to sit in her class!
      Tweety has an obsession with JFK and the Clintons. He needs to calm down, perhaps some valium would help. I don’t listen to him. He exhausts me! I do love the info here about him, but that is enough!

• 167 joyce
      September 6, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I’m tired of them talking about Hillary and 2016 at this time also.

68. September 6, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Marc Anthony awesomeness. My favorite song of his. Title translation: “It Was Worth It”.

69. 170 Rita
    September 6, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Myth Romney!

September 6, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Barney ain’t playing!

September 6, 2012 at 5:47 pm

72. 176 prettyfoot58
    September 6, 2012 at 5:48 pm

ALLLLLLRIGHT BARNEY FRANK……

73. 177 prettyfoot58
    September 6, 2012 at 5:49 pm

WHAT IS IT WITH TWEETY…AND MSNBC TODAY…STILL FINDING WAYS TO BASH THE PRESIDENT….

74. September 6, 2012 at 5:49 pm

A cherry on top of an already sweet day, the UK media is no fan of Glenn Greenwald:

September 6, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Awww…Joe Biden’s mom, Dorothy Height, Elizabeth Edwards, Alex Okrent (OFA staffer who died suddenly this year), Eunice Kennedy Shriver, Ted Kennedy, Robert Byrd and Richard Holbrooke.

This in memoriam reel has me all choked up.

76. 182 cookemom
    September 6, 2012 at 5:56 pm

sniff, sniff, how compassionate are we? Real people paying tribute to real people, honoring their real contributions.

September 6, 2012 at 5:57 pm

College Democrats President —–> UT Austin in the house! Hook Em!

78. September 6, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Fired up? HELL yeah! Just don’t know if it can get any better than the first two nights but…tonight the President speaks. So, of course it can.

Thanks for the JT vid. I treated myself to his concert on my 40th birthday. That was 20 years ago. He’s still going strong. (me too).

79. 187 prettyfoot58
    September 6, 2012 at 6:01 pm

80. 188 prettyfoot58
    September 6, 2012 at 6:04 pm

81. 189 Rita
    September 6, 2012 at 6:04 pm

“Our struggle is not against individuals, but against unjust laws and legislation.” – Rep. John Lewis

82. 190 prettyfoot58
    September 6, 2012 at 6:04 pm

September 6, 2012 at 6:05 pm

John Lewis is stirring up powerful haunting images. What the GOP is doing regarding voter suppression is inhumane and criminal.

84. 192 prettyfoot58
    September 6, 2012 at 6:05 pm

85. 193 prettyfoot58
    September 6, 2012 at 6:06 pm

86. 194 prettyfoot58
    September 6, 2012 at 6:07 pm

87. 195 lamh35
    September 6, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Man, the DJ is killing it at the DNC. Congressman John Lewis is coming up to speak next. Youngstas if ya don’t know who John Lewis is, ya need to find out. He is one of the remaining foot soldiers who fought and bled so AA could have civil rights and the right to vote. It’s a shame that young AA don’t try their hardest to use that right that people died and bled for!

88. September 6, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Kerry targets Romney’s Afghanistan stance
    By ALEXANDER BURNS | 9/6/12 5:25 PM
    In the first available excerpts of Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry’s convention speech, the 2004 presidential candidate goes after Mitt Romney’s position on Afghanistan.

Nice!

89. 197 anniebella
    September 6, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Mary J. Mary J. Mary J.

September 6, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Mary J. had the joint jumping. Did you see all of the people dancing together. No one throwing peanuts at someone saying that this is how we feed animals.

90. 199 sherijr
    September 6, 2012 at 6:19 pm

woohoo Mary J Blige!! WeCarryEachOther ~ gonna be a magnificent night.

RSS Steve Benen