Sep

Rise and Shine

Charles Pierce: ….. Willard Romney was out there somewhere and he was being utterly eviscerated by Floyd The Barber. And the only people who look more ridiculous than he does the morning after are all those media brainiacs who were saying how smart the Republicans were being in “driving a wedge” between Bill Clinton and Barack Obama. There is a reason you should be careful what you wish for.

Quoth the man we can all agree upon:

One of the main reasons America should re-elect President Obama is that he is still committed to cooperation. He appointed Republican secretaries of defense, the army and transportation. He appointed a vice president who ran against him in 2008, and trusted him to oversee the successful end of the war in Iraq and the implementation of the recovery act. And Joe Biden did a great job with both. He appointed cabinet members who supported Hillary in the primaries. Heck, he even appointed Hillary.

….. then he pauses just long enough to let the zombie-eyed granny-starver have an elbow to take home with him to Janesville.

…… If Clinton had “undermined” Obama any more effectively, Obama might be emperor by now.

Full post here

Michael Tomasky: Holy smokes. That was the best political speech more or less ever. There wasn’t a thing he didn’t touch on, and there wasn’t a thing he didn’t just blast out of the park. His carriage and delivery nailed it for partisans and for persuadables. He hit Republican obstructionism. He slammed the Romney and Ryan plans on virtually every point they’ve raised in the last six months, from the welfare ads to the tax cuts to the Medicare “cuts” to so much more, and he did it in detail.

…. The evisceration of the Romney-Ryan plans had no equal …. Clinton took Ryan to school tonight and showed that you can give a policy speech without telling a pile of lies…..

The Democrats are just wiping the floor with the Republicans so far. I’m not saying it will decide things, but the disparity in sheer talent is enough to make people look at Republicans as swimming in the kiddie pool.

Full post here

*****

Greg Sargent: …. Senior Dems believe Clinton has taken on a unique role in American politics: They think he is seen by genuine undecided and swing voters as a kind of “referee” figure — someone they can trust to tell them what to think about politics and the economy. These voters, Dems believe, think he understands better than any other major figure exactly the kind of economy they want.

Clinton played that role with great gusto, delivering a strong pitch for a second Obama term, combined with a sharp, point by point response to virtually every major GOP argument against him.

1) He made the single strongest case we’ve heard for why undecided voters who are disappointed about the economy should give Obama another four years to finish what he started….. 2) He delivered a slashing indictment of GOP obstructionism during the Obama era in a fashion only he could pull off…… casting this election as a referendum on whether cooperation itself can survive….. 3) Clinton rebutted every major Republican argument against Obama…..

Full post here

Steve Benen: Clinton delivers a tour de force – Months ago, Mitt Romney and his campaign team adopted a curious strategy. Hoping to undermine President Obama, Republicans would elevate former President Clinton, giving him unrivaled credibility and stature, as a way of positioning him as the good Democrat, as compared to that rascally Obama.

As was clear last night in Charlotte, Romney’s plan was a spectacularly bad idea.

…. there is no one in the Republican Party who can compete at this level, and it’s only going to get worse for the challengers – Clinton dazzled last night, but Americans will also see him in campaign ads and on the campaign trail. Bush and Cheney are hiding, but the Obama campaign will deliberately keep Clinton in the spotlight.

Team Romney helped build up Clinton’s credibility. Now they’re paying the price.

Full post here

@marikatogo: Hillary Clinton watches her husband address the #DNC2012 from her trip to East Timor (Thank you NZObamaHobbit)

Bloomberg: ….. How do Clinton’s assertions square with the facts?

The Claim: Clinton said that over the past half century almost twice as many jobs had been created when Democrats were in the White House as under Republican administrations.

The Facts: Clinton’s math is correct. Using Bureau of Labor Statistics figures for the month each president took office, Democratic presidents presided over the creation of 42.3 million jobs and Republican chief executives saw 23.9 million.

The Claim: Clinton said that in the last 29 months the economy has produced about 4.5 million private-sector jobs.

The Reality: The statement is true. Private non-farm payrolls rose by 4.5 million during the 29 months ended in July, the most recent month for which figures are available.

More here (thank you 57andFemale)

Cagle

NYT Editorial: ….. The country is unquestionably better off than it was in 2008. The economy has added 4.5 million private-sector jobs since January 2010; even if you subtract the vast job losses in the early months of President Obama’s term, before his policies went into effect, the country is still ahead by 332,000 private-sector jobs.

That level of job growth is close to the recovery following the 1990s recession, and it is actually stronger than after the early-2000s recession. But it doesn’t feel strong because the original hole was so deep and so many people are still suffering: 12.8 million remain unemployed.

…. The damage Mr. Obama faced when he took office was far greater than any president, current or past, could repair in four years, Mr. Clinton said, yet Mitt Romney wants to return to the policies that caused it….

At every step, when Mr. Obama and Democrats have proposed measures to reduce the risk of the kind of recession still haunting the economy, Republicans have opposed them. Mitt Romney regularly sneers at the most fundamental protections against Wall Street excesses and promises to repeal them.

[Republicans] have sent a clear signal to the corporate executives spending hundreds of millions to elect Mr. Romney that they need not worry about restrictions on their behavior, no matter how destructive to the economy or the lives of millions still struggling to get back on their feet.

Full editorial here

Cagle

MarketWatch: Private-sector job growth picked up in August, recording the largest employment gain in five months, according to data released Thursday by payrolls processor Automatic Data Processing Inc.

Private-sector payrolls rose by 201,000 in August, led by small businesses and the service-providing sector, beating Wall Street’s expectations.

ADP revised July’s level to an increase of 173,000 from a prior estimate of 163,000.

“The gain in private employment in August is strong enough to suggest that the national unemployment rate may have declined,” said Joel Prakken, chairman of Macroeconomic Advisers, which produces the report for ADP.

More here

Cagle

Cagle

Charlotte Observer: Events in Time Warner Cable Arena start at 6 p.m. No specific times are given but President Obama is expected to speak around 10 p.m…..

11:35 a.m.: First lady Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill Biden will speak at the Women’s Caucus Meeting.

12:10 p.m.: Dr. Jill Biden will speak at the LGBT Caucus meeting.

1 p.m.-3 p.m.: The Rev. Al Sharpton and the National Action Network will host the nation’s prominent black clergy and civil rights leaders at NAN’s ministers’ luncheon to declare a state of emergency over voter suppression…..

8 p.m.: Web-only convention special hosted by actor Kal Penn that will include interviews with campaign officials and guests, including Marc Anthony, Elizabeth Banks, Aisha Tyler, Olivia Wilde, Fran Drescher, Zach Braff and Alexis Bledel.

More here

Once again….

Christopher Dilts for Obama for America

Morning everyone ;-)

206 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

September 6, 2012 at 8:49 am

GM Chips and TODobots!

2. 16 Vicki
    September 6, 2012 at 8:59 am

Oh What A Night!

3. 17 pinkbunny92
    September 6, 2012 at 9:02 am

Good morning TOD Community!!! I feel so happy and so excited after last night’s convention speech by President Clinton!

One thing I wish the pundits would keep in mind is that there is NO WAY that the Obama Campaign team or their surrogates could have effectively defended President Obama’s accomplishments and policies as well as President Clinton. Simply put, President Clinton had the AUTHORITY & CREDIBILITY of having done the job. Anything else would be automatically interpreted by the Media as “defensiveness” and being “out of touch” by the idiotic beltway media!

I felt so happy and excited, I seriously missed being around other people to jump for joy and dance around at how much the GOP got smacked around!

And while I appreciate President Clinton’s full throated support, I seriously hope that Hillary doesn’t run. I think she’s done an amazing jkob as Secretary of State, but I want someone new….and it would disappoint me that they did this all, just to put her up as the candidate. I don’t think she’ll run. I think she’s tired and ready for retirement after this stint, but at the sametime, one never knows….

September 6, 2012 at 9:09 am

I am not worrying about 2016, 2012 is all I’m concern about. We must re-elect Barack Obama.

• 19 4morefor44
      September 6, 2012 at 10:30 am

yes, yes, and YES!!! i don’t think hillary will run either, but in the off-chance she did, it’s conceivable there would be a bush and clinton running again. what a waste all these last few years would be. forward, not backward!!!

September 6, 2012 at 9:03 am

Bill Clinton did his job last night. Democrats might bicker and squabble but we are always proud to show off our past and present presidents; unlike the GOP who hide theirs in the witness protection program. The picture of Clinton bowing down to Pres. Obama is so significant because this is the first time a past president has given the nomination address for a nominee (who is also a president). It was like he was finally giving up the reigns and passing the torch to his successor.

VP Biden and Pres. Obama are going to knock it out of the park tonight. DNC 2012 has surpassed everyone’s expectations. Bravo!

• 21 Pamela
      September 6, 2012 at 9:12 am

Amen to this, ut. I have a feeling Hillary sat Bill down and told him in clear and certain terms that he had to get this done, and that was that. He did what he should have done a long time ago.

• 22 daisydem
        September 6, 2012 at 9:25 am

I humbly disagree. I think Bill knew what to do, and he did it as only he could. He talks plain (though he could be lofty if he wanted to); it was his charm and his method as President. He has charisma … in a different way from say a Kennedy, but in his own Arkasasian (is that a word) way. And the timing is perfect … just when we need him the most! He just may have catapulted this nation into a second term with us (the Democrats) at the helm. And God I hope it continues for at least 8 more years; it is our only hope. But I don’t think Hillary will run, but I hope and I think they will both play huge parts still in the political arena.

• 24 theo67
        September 6, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I think both Hillary and Bill have taken stock of President Obama, and have come to realize who he is. The fairness with which he’s treated Hillary, along with the genuine respect. It couldn’t have been easy to be so thoroughly defeated by someone who you once mentored, but both Hillary and Joe Biden have risen to the occasion, spectacularly.

Someone on twitter convinced me to watch the CNN special on President Obama on Monday night. The only thing I actually took away from that show was Hillary’s words about President Obama. She said first that there is no other President who has dealt with the mix of crises that President Obama has faced, and so remarkably well. And then she said that the country was so fortunate to have had the steady, calming hand and temperament of President Obama to guide it through these tumultuous times. I think they all know exactly who he is.

September 6, 2012 at 9:17 am

GM Utal, I like the way you see that bowing episode. Enjoy your day!

• 26 Pamela
        September 6, 2012 at 9:27 am

{{{{{{VC}}}}}

September 6, 2012 at 10:24 am

Hello sweetheart! I notice we haven’t been connecting as often and taunting supporting each other. :lol: :lol: Since I haven’t seen otherwise, I trust your little lady is holding her own?

• 28 Pamela
            September 6, 2012 at 11:04 am

I am here each day, my dear VC, but No, she is not holding her own and I am reaching my max in depth for holding everything together in these difficult days. It is all to sensitive to speak of, but all prayers and deep compassion from a group as dedicated as this on TOD will be welcomed and appreciated! Blessings on this day!

• September 6, 2012 at 9:29 am

Note that Clinton talked about the accomplishments of the Obama/Biden tandem’s first four years.

That frees up both gentlemen to cover the plans for the coming four years …

• 32 LaDLove
      September 6, 2012 at 10:28 am

I TOTALLY agree with your point about honoring past president, UT. I really liked the fact the Dems included a video message from pres. Carter. And I am NOT a fan of Carter.

• 33 nathkatun7
      September 6, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Thanks UT. As always, you said so well everything I felt about last evening.

5. 34 LDS
    September 6, 2012 at 9:03 am

Good morning, Chips. Thank you for all your hard work last night.

6. 39 Pamela
    September 6, 2012 at 9:05 am

G’day Chips, mornin’ all o’ y’alll! YES! :)

7. September 6, 2012 at 9:16 am

So many favorite lines last night, hard to choose but I love this one.

8. 45 LDS
    September 6, 2012 at 9:18 am

I believe I saw both men bow out of respect, forgiveness and whatever else in between. That bow meant a lot to me because I had some reservations about the former President. All is well for now……
    We all needed this to move FOWARD!
    It lets me know that when you have kindred spirits, they will recognize each other humbly, graciously for the good of others.
    Sacrifice is easy when your heart, mind and soul is involved and you put the welfare of others first. Then you are able to do what we all were created…..to love and serve one another. Do not worry about tomorrow. Tomorrow will take care of itself.

Have a great and blessed day everyone!
    Our Sunday School lesson for this week is “Steadfast Confidence”
    Hebrews11:1 ” Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.”

• 46 lisalovesobama
      September 6, 2012 at 9:24 am

I saw the bow too and that hug looked real. I think this was a good step in burying the hatchet. I hope Team O puts Bill out on the campaign trail, but NO interviews. That’s where Bill tends to get into trouble.

• September 6, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I don’t believe there’s a hatchet to be buried. If there were, it was buried when Hillary accepted appointment as SoS. Hillary Clinton has already said that she won’t continue into the second term. She’s 65 this year. She wants to be a civilian again. Lots of things she wants to do but running for office is not on the list. I don’t know who will run in 2016 — but I’m as sure as I can be that Hillary won’t be among them.

• 48 Dakota
        September 6, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Hi LisaLoves! I also believe that the “issues”, if any, were dealt with a long time ago. We can’t very well criticize the rethugs for not working with us if we can’t work with each other. The “Big Dog” has a big ego for sure, but he put it aside for the greater good and should be commended for that. That was an amazing speech last night…a reminder of what a great speaker he’s always been. I agree with you about the interviews, but I think he’ll be giving some! LOL!

• 49 Pamela
      September 6, 2012 at 9:25 am

{{{{{LDS}}}}}

9. September 6, 2012 at 9:28 am

What a masterful feat of planning and thought that went into this DNC. I am so thrilled and full of excitement for tonight. I can’t wait for the whole evening to start because it’s going to be a tremendous celebration of all that PBO and VPB have done for our nation and the promise they continue to bring forward for all of us. WHHEEEEEEE!!

This is it, people. This is our night.

10. 51 Pamela
    September 6, 2012 at 9:28 am

{{{{{Chips}}}}} {{{{{TOD}}}}}. Back later, God bless us everyone, there is much work to be done! :)

11. 54 57andFemale
    September 6, 2012 at 9:29 am

Someone said last night that Bill & PBO hugged each other again as they got offstage, with no cameras. Just a genuine understanding and love for each other.

12. 55 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    September 6, 2012 at 9:30 am

BILL CLINTON AND ELIZABETH WARREN WERE AMAZING LAST NIGHT…AND I WATCHED UNTIL INDIANA PRESENTED THEIR VOTES AND WENT TO SLEEP…BUT TODAY…I AM HERE TO GIVE YOU SOME HOPE I BET YOU NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT…IT’S NEVER SPOKEN OF OFTEN…AND IT SHOULD BE BECAUSE IT IS SPECIAL AND IT MEANS SOMETHING TO AFRICAN AMERICANS EVERYWHERE. IN THE BIBLE THERE WAS A MAN NAMED SIMON OF CYRENE…CYRENE WAS LOCATED IN NORTHERN AFRICA..NOW LIBYA. SIMON WAS AN AFRICAN MAN WATCHING A CROWD GATHERED AROUND A MAN CARRYING A CROSS. THE ROMAN SOLDIERS PULLED SIMON OUT OF THE CROWD AND TOLD HIM TO SHARE IN THE BURDEN OF CARRYING THIS CROSS…THE MAN HE WAS HELPING…WAS JESUS. I DON’T BELIEVE IN ACCIDENTS…I BELIEVE AFRICANS ARE A CHOSEN PEOPLE…THEY HAVE CARRIED SO MANY BURDENS SINCE THEN…SO MANY. SO TODAY…I WANT THIS STORY TO STAY IN YOUR MIND…I WANT IT TO GIVE YOU HOPE. THERE ARE BOOKS YOU CAN FIND ON AMAZON OR ANYPLACE ELSE ABOUT SIMON OF CYRENE AND HIS BURDEN. I WANT YOU TO GET THEM AND READ THEM TO YOUR CHILDREN. AND WHEN BLACK HISTORY MONTH COMES…I WANT YOU NOT TO FORGET THE AFRICAN MAN WHO CARRIED THE CROSS FOR JESUS…BECAUSE IN HISTORY…HE STILL IS…GOD BLESS YOU ALL..I AM PRAYING FOR MY PRESIDENT….:)

September 6, 2012 at 9:34 am

Morning! What a great night! And by the way, it looks as though the “chair” isn’t going away:)

CHAIRS PLACED BY EASTWOOD CUTOUT ON CALIF. TRAIL

14. September 6, 2012 at 9:42 am

More here: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/private-payrolls-post-largest-gain-in-five-months-2012-09-06?mod=wsj_share_tweet

September 6, 2012 at 9:43 am

A new Quinnipiac poll in New Jersey finds President Obama leading Mitt Romney by seven points among likely voters, 51% to 44%.

Said pollster Maurice Carroll: “The votes look to be locked in. Almost 90 percent of Obama’s New Jersey voters and more than 90 percent of Romney backers say they’ll stand by their man.”

16. 75 jackiegrumbacher
    September 6, 2012 at 9:44 am

I’m still reeling from last night and all the wonders that culminated in Clinton’s speech. Bill has often bored me to tears, but he got it together last night and I will always be grateful to him. Still exhausted from all the late nights that started with our daughter’s labor and won’t end until the last minute of the convention, but what an exhaustion! I’d take it any time and any week. Bill laid it all out, but I loved them all –Lily Ledbetter, the sister, Sandra Fluke (boy, what a star in the making) and Elizabeth Warren. When I saw PBO come on the stage at the end, I poked my sleepy husband in the ribs and said “wow, just wow!” Clinton brought it home, but I can–not–wait to hear Joe Biden and then our beloved president tonight! If there are still “undecideds” after this convention, they are faking it. Nobody but the blindest or the most ignorant could say that the choice this November isn’t clear. It’s not “they’re all the same.” It’s a choice between life and death. I want to tell every so-called undecided in the US to look into their children’s faces and tell me how the bleak and ugly world that R/R envision is a good choice for those they love. It’s not only life and death, it’s love and hate. The underlying message Clinton offered about patriotism was also loud and clear, at least to me. Who loves their country more? The ones who will undermine it out of revenge and hatred? Of the man who will endure whatever it takes to help American get on their feet and strengthen the country? The GOP’s patriotism is all show and no substance.

17. 76 TrumpDog
    September 6, 2012 at 9:46 am

Clinton’s speech was amazing. So glad he’s on our side!

Also, I am thrilled to see a lot of Hollywood out supporting President Obama. Zack Braff of “Scrubs” (love that show, love it even more now), Elizabeth Banks, etc. What happened to the “liberal” media’s meme that Obama lost Hollywood?

September 6, 2012 at 9:50 am

PERFECT comment found on Benen’s site about President Clinton’s speech last night:

DAY-3905329
    Romney tells us that he is a nuts and bolts, number crunching, results oriented businessman.

But what his party gave us in Tampa was spun cotton candy atop a whipped cream coated hot air balloon. A soufflé, concocted out of hoary platitudes and focus group lies.

Last night The Big Dog stamped his foot and that soufflé collapsed into a puddle of undercooked goo.

And America saw it happen!

23 votes
    #4 – Thu Sep 6, 2012 8:33 AM EDT

19. September 6, 2012 at 9:50 am

Does anyone know where we can watch the web-only convention at 8 pm with all those actors? I don’t want to miss that. Thanks :) I love this blog!

20. 83 dotster3
    September 6, 2012 at 9:54 am

Knoller is real cranky this morning, for some strange reason. He’s tweeting to stop gushing over Clinton’s speech, in so many words, and asking if Clinton gave Obama a pardon, as if Obama needed a pardon for anything. Guess he isn’t pleased with the Dem convention. Too good?

• September 6, 2012 at 10:03 am

I just noticed his tweets. Mark Knoller definitely haz a big old nasty sad.

September 6, 2012 at 10:10 am

dotster3, who gives a dam what kind of mood Knoller is? Really. We have seen two great nights of the Democratic Convention, and we are looking forward to tonight. Mark Knoller is the last thing on my mind. As a matter of fact he isn’t on my mind.

• 86 Obama Grandmama
        September 6, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I sometimes wonder if all the tweet replies to Mark’s tweets just feed him with the attention he seeks. As a former elementary teacher the best way to control unwanted outbursts and negative behavior is to ignore them and only give them attention when they show positive behavior.

• 87 nospin
      September 6, 2012 at 10:39 am

he was cranky dotster3. Last night was too good and he knows that PO will be re-elected. I figured I would give him a few hours to pull himself together and get back on track. lolololol

• 88 TrumpDog
      September 6, 2012 at 10:43 am

21. 92 LDS
    September 6, 2012 at 9:59 am

Pamela, thank you. We have so much work to do. Getting ready to go to PA on Sat. To help out every Sat. until November. This I.D. Vote suppression is very personal to me. It is so hard for me to comprehend. I need your prayers. We all have personal stories in this re-election that tugs at your heart.

I can’t go back. I won’t go back to the way things used to be.

• 93 prettyfoot58
      September 6, 2012 at 11:53 am

LDS….

thank you for your patriotism….i am here in Philadlephia….i have made a similar commitment…

WE WILL NOT GO BACK!!

22. 94 Vicki
    September 6, 2012 at 10:01 am

I am so excited to see the excellent ADP and Unemployment numbers! Hooray for all of those families getting work and paychecks! Hooray for a great ending to an already wondrous convention week. PBO,VP and spouses on the stump Friday. More joy and celebration. OK I admit it. i am giddy. Aren’t we all?

23. 95 kathryn kivett
    September 6, 2012 at 10:06 am

I don’t know about y’all, but I certainly appreciate the brilliant person who decided to make the convention only 3 days….They must have had psychic powers to know that people could only go without sleep for 3 nights….WOW!..in all of my 69 years I have never experienced such a gathering of warmth, love, patriotism,values, and yes, I’ll go there, INTELLIGENT thinking as I have witnessed the past two days…The E’SPLAINER IN CHIEF dispelled every issue I have ever had with him….and tonight…OMG, the BELOVED IN CHIEF himself….I am so PROUD to be a Democrat….I am so PROUD of my President….I am so PROUD of Charlotte, NC….I am just Damn PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN….and after tonight, I can’t even imagine what my PROUD level is going to be….How on earth anyone could vote against our PBO is beyond my comprehension……unless you are a multi Millionaire without a heart….or Dumb as Rocks!.

• 96 pugeretto
      September 6, 2012 at 10:28 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOO KIDDING about the sleep deprivation…I am on fumes today…must focus!
      Good morning Chips and TOD family, it’s a great day to be alive…I mean awake!!!

• 97 SUE DUVALL SMITH
        September 6, 2012 at 10:40 am

DITTO HERE PUGARETTO…ONE MORE NIGHT…THE BEST NIGHT…PBO SPEAKS…SLUGGING THE LEADED TODAY!..ZZZZZZZ!

• September 6, 2012 at 10:59 am

“They must have had psychic powers to know that people could only go without sleep for 3 nights”

I know the feeling Kathryn!! :-)

24. 99 57andFemale
    September 6, 2012 at 10:07 am

I got FP’d & a thank you from Chips! Thanks for the thanks (for the thanks for the thanks…..) Okay, I’m a little giddy, after hearing someone on the TV just say, “wildly successful Democratic Convention”.

25. September 6, 2012 at 10:27 am

G’morning Chips, TOD, EVERYONE!!! Happy Thursday :) What a beautiful night at the DNC Convention!!! Those pictures of our two Democratic Presidents is just simply one for the history books. It’s also a big FU to the media and GOP who have been trying to drive wedges between what they perceive to be a greatest threat to their Republican power structure. That pic of Hillary watching from her computer is too cute by a half :)

September 6, 2012 at 10:29 am

Heh! Methinks those odds were always there since the beginning of this year…watch the polls and models slowly fall in line as election day nears…

September 6, 2012 at 10:42 am

DESIGNER TO RUSH PRODUCTION OF FIRST LADY’S DRESS

// WASHINGTON (AP) — Want a dress like the one first lady Michelle Obama wore at the Democratic convention?

Designer Tracy Reese says she’s rushing to make dresses. Reese tells NBC’s “Today” show that the hot pink silk jaquard dress with pale blue trim at the hem will cost under $500. The designer says she was planning the dress for a later season. But now it’s being rushed through the production cycle so, quote, “more people can get their hands on it sooner.” //

28. 105 Ladyhawke
    September 6, 2012 at 10:47 am

MY SHORTER VERSION OF ROMNEY RESPONSE TO PRES. CLINTON’S SPEECH:

“President Clinton attacked the fact that we lied.”

ROMNEY CAMPAIGN STATEMENT ON PRESIDENT CLINTON’S SPEECH:

===========================================================

(CNN) – GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s campaign issued a statement after former President Bill Clinton’s address to the Democratic National Convention on Tuesday night, saying Clinton “drew a stark contrast between himself and President Obama.”

“Bill Clinton worked with Republicans, balanced the budget, and after four years he could say you were better off,” Romney campaign spokesman Ryan Williams wrote. “Barack Obama hasn’t worked across the aisle – he’s barely worked with other Democrats – and has the worst economic record of any president in modern history.

“President Clinton’s speech brought the disappointment and failure of President Obama’s time in office clearly into focus,” Williams continued.

29. 111 Dudette
    September 6, 2012 at 10:49 am

Good Morning TOD Fam!

Yesterday was a total roller coaster of situation-comedy skits (are we going? no, we’re not going. okay we’re going, let’s just go!)… culiminating in Baby Sis and I eventually making it to the Charlotte area around 3:30AM. One might ask — why so late, Dude? Suffice it to say that, once I gain full consciousness today, I will spend a good part of the day rolling my eyes at this heifer who made me spend almost two hours scouring her damn truck looking for keys that literally were in the first place anyone with half a brain would look. [Seriously, bitch?]

Okay, yes I was late cuz getting to your house cuz at the last minute I thought I’d better go see if maybe I should get a tire replaced. That little nick from where I drove into a curb the other day looks weird. It’s not my fault all the tire stores were closed when I got off work! Who the hell would think the damned Sears Auto Store at the mall closes at friggin’ 7PM on a Wednesday?! [Are you kidding me?]

Then I just HAD to go buy a damn speaker to hookup to my laptop, so we could actually hear the speeches over the road noise in my cheap ass car. And okay, then I stopped to go find a power adapter so we wouldn’t run down the laptop battery for the 4 hr trip. [Both of which were brilliant ideas, btw. My little mobile wifi network thingy worked like a charm. Nerd bitches rule!!] Yes, we did SORT OF of hear Elizabeth Warren and Bill Clintion’s voices in between laughing about rednecks in Iowa, people lying about their experience on their resumes, incompetent customer service people, and “wasn’t First Lady AWESOME Tuesday night?” and “I had no idea you loved the President as much as I do.” Fuckin’-A, my sister rocks”… But you know the only reason I don’t choke yo ass into oblivion over losing the damned keys is cuz Momma would be mad at me and, okay you DID agree to leave your kid and drive across two states and wander around this damned city in the rain looking for someplace to hang out like a couple of hobos. [Road dawg for life!]

Yes, you spent all day running around Atlanta trying to find new Obama t-shirts. That was so sweet that you decided to not get that really cute one that looked good on you, cuz “…they only had one.No, I’ll wait so we can be dressed alike.” [Aww.. you're alright, old girl, you know that?]

Finally checked into the hotel, eyes bloodshot. Asked the perky desk attendant, “did y’all get a lot of cancellations because of the venue change?” Oh no, we’re still full up. In fact, now that you’ve checked in, there’s only one party remaining who’s still to come in” [Car full of people rolls up as I was parking. I think they're a bunch of reporters from the looks of their credentials]. “Hey, feel free to pick up a volunteer pack over there on the table. ” Brochures and copies of Politico, National Journal, CQ Weekly, The Hill, Bloomberg Government. Pfft, fuck that shit. But thanks for the handy tote bags, bitches. :-)

So 10AM I’m sitting here in my underwear, and of course, the hotel just stopped serving breakfast. OF COURSE! Good thing I brought the granola bars and Pop-Tarts. It’s cloudy outside but not raining yet. Local TV news just announced they’re setting up a watch party at the arena in a room that only holds 4000. You have to go online to RSVP for it. Meh, we’ll see. Keep checking the website for news of watch party’s being set up around town. Finally got the email about the conference call with the President at 1:20. Hmmm, 40,000 people all dialing in to the same phone call. Yeh, that’ll go off without a hitch. [Smack!] Check the attitude, girlie! “Get off the damned computer so we can figure out where the hell we’re going and get some real food!” “Let’s just make our way over the the Convention Center area so we can find some souvenirs”.

…the saga continues! FORWARD!!

P.S. Fuck Rush Limbaugh http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/09/06/3506956/faithful-make-backup-plans-after.html

• 112 squarepeg
      September 6, 2012 at 10:58 am

Hang in there honey

• 113 sherijr
      September 6, 2012 at 11:01 am

oh thanks for the update Dudette, so happy you & lil sis decided to go.. have loads of FUN too !

• 114 Pamela
      September 6, 2012 at 11:13 am

We’re with you, Dudette and Sis! :lol: Story of a lifetime! :lol:

• 115 TrumpDog
      September 6, 2012 at 11:28 am

Stay strong, Dudette. Despite the setbacks, it’s so nice you kept your sense of humor. You had me laughing and smiling while reading. :-)

• 116 pinkbunny92
      September 6, 2012 at 11:40 am

I know you had a terrible day and I’m glad that you finally got there. But OMG, you just wrote up your experience in such a funny way, that I couldn’t help but laugh (not at you, but with you) ;-)

• 117 LadyTNT
      September 6, 2012 at 11:59 am

OMG, Dudette you are HILARIOUS!!! You had me laughing out loud and my co-worker asked me what’s so funny. I said nothing because I couldn’t tell her I’m on TOD when I should be working, LOL!. Have a great day and I can’t wait to hear more about it!!

• 118 prettyfoot58

• May…….+116,000 (GAIN)
    • Jun……..+73,000 (GAIN)
    • Jul…….+172,000 (GAIN)

4 years ago su/cked.

31. 128 Debz
    September 6, 2012 at 11:06 am

What a powerful sight, two Presidents together!! And all romney had was an empty chair.

32. 131 lisalovesobama
    September 6, 2012 at 11:10 am

Oh My God!!! I just went back and watched Clinton’s whole speech!!!! Holy Shit was it fricking AWESOME!!!!!!!!

33. September 6, 2012 at 11:10 am

CNN are a bunch of losers! They have to find something to be negative about. They can’t stop talking about “God” and “Jerusalem” not being in the original platform. So trivial, but it’s obvious they have nothing to be negative about regarding this convention and it’s killing them. It’s pretty pathetic, if you ask me…

• 134 lisalovesobama
      September 6, 2012 at 11:17 am

Ha!!! That’s hilarious. No wonder their numbers suck! Idiots. Too bad all Americans will be talking about is Bill Cinton’s speech.

• 135 Linda
      September 6, 2012 at 11:44 am

I will e-mail them and ask them how that drum beat helps the financial problems in this country.

• 136 EricFive
      September 6, 2012 at 1:13 pm

CNN, and the MSM in general, parrot whatever talking point Mitt/GOP puts out there. They embrace their role as communications arm of the GOP. They all must be in a panic about how well the Democratic convention is going. The ONLY memorable moment of the RNC was Eastwood making a fool of himself questioning an empty chair. Since the DNC is going so well and is presenting the country with a positive image of democrats and PBO, the MSM/GOP find it necessary to stir up some fake controversy (creating imaginary Clinton/PBO feud, trying to stir up conflict btw dems and unions, pointing out dems who “skipped” the DNC (without doing the same for the GOP which barred GWB and Cheney from attending their convention) and now repeating the GOP’s criticism of our party’s platform? As for this fake controversy I would reply, Saying the word “God” does not make one or one’s policies godly or just. The GOP and its media enablers put style over substance, lip service over deeds.

• 137 Obama Grandmama
      September 6, 2012 at 1:15 pm

i had read on this blog for a long time that CNN was becoming more like FOX. I don’t know if I didn’t believe it or if it didn’t matter to me cuz I only watch MSNBC and only certain commentators.

I Tivoed CNN and MSNBC’s DNC presentations and watched the C-Span show live. When I went back to watch the taped CNN presentation I had to delete it since I was furious that they had the speakers in the background while they chose to interview Paul Ryan. This was the Dem’s week not the GOP’s week so what was that all about?

I was happier watching C-Span than what I even saw on MSNBC because I don’t need someone telling me what they said or why. I have a brain, ears and eyes so can interpret for myself if they would only show the speakers. That is where C-Span comes in.

34. September 6, 2012 at 11:11 am

Don’t know if anyone else has this problem.. but it really sucks when you’re the only one among your FB friends who seems to be talking about politics and how awesome the DNC convention was… :lol: I’m starting to wonder, what the use is of having Facebook now when people don’t want to talk about the things I want to talk about! I guess this is directed at those who live in other countries outside of the U.S. who are like me.. are you experiencing that? or do you have a grip of people who you can talk to about the Obama campaign and get fired up with? I don’t have that on my page :-(

• 139 symmetry11
      September 6, 2012 at 11:21 am

Not many ppl comment on the things that I post. At one point, I contemplated no longer posting things. I learned from a few ppl that even though they don’t comment, they do read and appreciate the post. So, I continue to use my page to pass on information.

• September 6, 2012 at 11:31 am

I’ve commented on a post from a cousin who lives in Utah. She had another Mormon trying to defend Romney (my cousin would be considered a Harry Reid/Democrat Mormon). I made sure to provide the facts using links from here and me and my cousin never heard a peep from her again lol I don’t think any of my NZ friends find anything I post, of any interest to them. They live in their own bubble and don’t want to know whats going on with the political race there as the months or days go by, they just want to know who the winner is. I think in this case, you have much better friends. Mine just simply, don’t care

• 141 mimigrayson
          September 6, 2012 at 12:06 pm

As a LDS supporting th president, I get people who lurk. I also get likes and have changed a few minds. Since the majority of my brethern support Romney, it is like crying in the wilderness. I have had to refute with facts, some garbage I see. I am unable to go full bore because is in the area presidency (stake). Hubby and I at least contribute and encourage in private where we can. otherwise i don’t argue with stupidity.

• 143 1jam4pbo
        September 6, 2012 at 11:49 am

Good morning Symmetry11,
        Good morning fellow residents of TODville. I do not comment a lot but I do read your post along with all the other posts daily and before I go to bed. My Virtual Family here at TOD help me to get through my day each and every day as we share the Love and Respect for President Obama and the Democratic Party.

I tell my husband all the time that I learn a lot from the information that gets posted here.

Have a great day everyone.

• 144 prettyfoot58
        September 6, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL SYMMETRY11….BUT I CONTINUE TO POST ON MY FB PAGE AND SEND OUT INFO TO MY CONTACT LIST….

FORWARD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• 145 kathryn kivett
          September 6, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Just keep preachin the gospel….Had a “civil”, on my part, confrontation with a “friend” this morning but on telephone….Hung up and decided wouldn’t answer the phone from her again….Went something like this….her..”I’m Christian so more than the economy I am against Gay Marriage and Mixed Marriage”….Me….”What’s that got to do with being a Christian, I thought that was legal civil rights?”….her….”Well, if you are a Christian you don’t believe in those nasty things.”….Me….”Oh, really, amazing, my God says “Love thy neighbor as thy self” ….her…”spit, stutter, gasp”….Me….”Last time I checked, the US Constitution stated that “All Men are created equal” so I guess you don’t believe in that either…How sad for you to live such an empty life.”……Hung up, dusted my hands off, and won’t look back….I understand how lonely it feels to be ignored….I live in a really, really, RED part of NC….there are tiny pockets of like minded people but I have learned to keep my mouth shut or I would stay in confrontations EXCEPT TODAY…and I dare say tomorrow after PBO speaks ; ^ )…I usually don’t take politics anywhere, except with my family and HERE in this warm fuzzy environment….THANK YOU FOR PROVIDING IT.

• 147 Eveingeorgia
      September 6, 2012 at 11:36 am

Yes, I have been discouraged as well. Makes me so mad. But I post as much as I can. Someone will read it, I am sure.
      To keep from getting disturbed, I post and leave.

Then I come back to TOD.

• September 6, 2012 at 11:42 am

I’ve been posting and sharing posts for several months now.. no one has commented on anything to do with U.S. politics. I wouldn’t be surprised if they ‘hide’ my posts in their newsfeed :lol: Like you, I continue to post and just come on TOD reading all the news and discussions going on :-)

• 149 57andfemale
      September 6, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I’m pretty lucky. The vast majority of my friends are liberal and active. My Life in the Theatre has helped. FB has been very useful to me, dealing with a couple of lesbian friends who are still PUMA’s. without the day-to-day contact of FB (normally I’d see these people a couple of times/year) I’ve been able to keep them in the Obama camp. And may I say, coming out in support of marriage equality has made all the difference in the world.

I have my conservative friends and family and I do not get into fights with them; but posting and sharing at least puts the truth in front of them.

• September 6, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Thanks for that 57andfemale. My latest post I shared was on Rep. Emanuel Cleaver and his ‘Hope On’ video. It got me so fired up, I just HAD to share it! I know everyone is really liking President Clinton’s speech, but boy, Cleaver was the one who did it for me.. who really got me fired up to the point that as a former Methodist, Mormon and now Atheist.. he almost made me want to go back to church! :lol: Its probably due to me being from NZ and my friends are also from NZ, they just don’t share the same love for PBO and the Obama campaign as I do.. but I do hope at least one of my friends does watch it :-)

• 151 57andfemale
          September 6, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I agree that today is a day to highlight the speeches other than Clinton’s that touched us. I totally understand that people will go with the highlights but it’s good to remind people that there have been so many inspirational speakers at this convention. This entire party is pulling together and speaking with a proud, progressive voice.

35. September 6, 2012 at 11:19 am

Moooooorrrrrnnnniiiigggg OOOOOOO’s!!!!!!1 Well well well, here we go again, another great getting up day on TOD!!!!!! I just finished a knock down drag out battle with a spider, the size of a small animal off of my balcony. He’d been there for a few days and I just gave him a wide berth. Today, I decided that no matter what, I was going to have my first cup of coffee on my own balcony. The fight ensued from there. We wrestled and tangled until out of shear embarrassment of being seen by his fellow insects fighting with a crazy lady, he jumped over the railing and plummeted to the lower deck. Coffee done and now I have to leave, hopefully, he’s not waiting for me downstairs.

Mu political take today is ” I got a feeling….ooh hoo… that tonight’s gonna be a good night…..tonight’s gonna be a good good ni- iight” – Black-Eyed Peas

36. September 6, 2012 at 11:27 am

Bill Clinton Reminded People Last Night That There Are Few, If Any Politicians With His Power Of Persuasion.

• 156 4morefor44
      September 6, 2012 at 11:56 am

president clinton did a great job last night, and probably the best speech of his life, and i’ve seen many of his, and several in person. overall though, i find president obama much more persuasive, and so do many millions of people around the world. tonight will be an incredible wrap up of probably the best run political convention in history, but what else would one expect from something that is controlled by team obama.

• 157 57andfemale
        September 6, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Here’s the thing: we need both of them. PBO’s appeal is different than Clinton’s. That speech last night went out to individual group after individual group, one by one. There just are people who will be more open to Clinton than to PBO. There are union workers who vote against their interests that Bill Clinton brought back last night. He addressed the PUMA’s with an authenticity I frankly have never seen. He shut them up for good. I, for one, am so glad that we have this wide-ranging array of spokespeople. And we’re better off with Clinton on our side than against us.

Hey, there’s every chance Bill Clinton will screw up again — what makes him so great is also what makes him a loose cannon. But last night he cemented his legacy. He rose to the greatness that he has always been capable of, instead of the petty, selfish demons that have plagued him his entire life, throughout his presidency and through the 2008 campaign.

Who is Bill Clinton, really? Last night, he was the Great Bill Clinton that we’ve always wanted to believe in.

37. September 6, 2012 at 11:31 am

G’morning TOD. I am still overwhelemed and delighted by last night..oh what a night!!!!
    Lit my candle and asked for Blessings to be showered upon our VP and PBO tonight.

Off to phone-bank today so will catch up on all of Miss CHIPS good summaries later.

We won’t let the GOP “double down on trickle down”.

FORWARD!

38. September 6, 2012 at 11:39 am

FLOTUS and Dr. Jill are about to make their appearance at the Women’s Caucus!!

I just happened to check the DNC livestream and they do have a countdown clock going so maybe they’ll have it???????

39. 163 lisalovesobama
    September 6, 2012 at 11:49 am

Just rewatched Miche’s speech! She was AMAZING!!!!! Love her to death!!!

40. 164 nospin
    September 6, 2012 at 11:49 am

I finally broke down and watched Bill Clinton. I fell asleep last night, woke up and figured . . . meh!

But when I did, I was finally able to let go of the feelings from the 2008 elections. I couldn’t get over him opening the door for dog whistling. But now, it is okay. I think he saw and grew from that experience. The way he stepped up for the President last night even allowed me to say if Hilary was to ever run for POTUS, I would actually support that.

He did good.

• 165 terim
      September 6, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Nospin, I feel as you do. For a long time, I did not trust Bill Clinton. I felt that he was often trying to undercut the President and that his support was half-hearted. Well, his speech last night showed a different Bill Clinton. He seems to have truly grown, and yes, if Hillary decides to run for President in 2016, I would support her.

• 166 Lovepolitics2008
        September 6, 2012 at 1:07 pm

I think Bill Clinton has healed from his disappointment, up to a certain degree. I also think that his respect for President Obama has definitely grown in the last few years, slowly but surely. And, call me a romantic, but I can’t help feeling that the core decency, humanity, unselfishness, courage of Barack and Michelle Obama … all of that has finally reached something in Bill Clinton’s heart.

• 167 edp4bho
      September 6, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I’ll join in with you on that later, as I’ve yet to see him either. Had to sleep so I can be ever awake for the really Big Dog, PBO !!

• 168 theo67
        September 6, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Believe me, I didn’t want to watch Bill Clinton after his taped words to Paul Ryan a few months back, but I got over it last night, and watched his speech live – and I’m so glad I did. He was a fierce advocate for President Obama and the Democrats. If you still haven’t watched it – please do. You’ll be happy you did.

41. September 6, 2012 at 11:55 am

Don’t hate me, but I watched the speech by Elizabeth Warren, and like many here, I like her concepts and ideas and if I was in Mass I would def vote for her. But I”m not a Mass voters and I am also alot more dialed in to politics than the average voter and so this speech was not my first introduction to Mrs Warren, so after her speech, I tried to speak to some people who have never heard of her and their reaction was mixed at best. I was gonna try to articulate what I’d heard, but this post by DougJ over at Balloon Juice kinda summed it up:

They tell me I was born there, but I really don’t remember
    By DougJ

I watched Liz Warren’s speech with my mom, who is from Boston last night. I thought the speech was very good. My mom said “I can see why she’s losing to Scott Brown.” I said “But with that touch of Oklahoma accent, she comes across as more Real Murkin than you’d think.”

My mom said “You think they like that accent in Boston?”

For this, and other reasons, Liz Warren plays better nationally than she does in Massachusetts. If she loses in November, it doesn’t mean that her message and persona don’t work on a bigger stage.

I think I agree the most with the statement: ..Liz Warren plays better nationally than she does in Massachusetts.

This is not to say that I don’t think Liz can’t gonna win this thing, but something’s gotta break. I hoping that sometime soon POTUS and Bill Clinton and FLOTUS will be campaigning in Mass along with Liz Warren to rally the troops (POTUS & FLOTUS can do that) and rally those white working men who for whatever reason seem prefer Scott Brown over Warren (Bill Clinton can definitely help with that).

As for me, I’ll admit, I give most of my money to OfA, but I may just have to give some to Liz Warren too so that they can have a good war chest to GOTV and hopefully start showing ads that hammer Brown for the GOP “war on women” which I think is the best thing to do. Wrap the GOP Congress dismal polls number with women and there radical record around Scott Brown’s neck.

Again, don’t hate me.

• 170 4morefor44
      September 6, 2012 at 12:05 pm

that’s an interesting observation about warren having more of a national appeal. i think she’s going to win though even if that’s true. considering she’s never been a politician, it’s stunning to me how incredible she is as a campaigner and her speech last night was flawless and inspirational in my opinion, and to be able to do that on a national stage like that is awesome.

i’ve been noticing some anonymous commenters filling up comments sections at some of the bigger blogs, names i never saw before, trying to sow seeds of doubt about warren winning in an attempt to deject democrats about her chances, but she is a powerhouse, and the democratic party is hitting stride at just the right moment, which was by the design i might add. i think the momentum coming out of this convention will slingshot a lot of democrats to victory, and warren will be one of those i bet. forward!!

• 171 theo67
      September 6, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Personally, I have to wonder about the people of Massachusetts. They had a fierce fighter in Ted Kennedy for many decades, who put their interests first. He fought for them. He wanted them to succeed. And then they voted for Scott Brown in the same year that Ted Kennedy passed away?? And now, they want to throw out Elizabeth Warren, who so clearly understands their needs and is prepared to fight for them? I don’t understand those people. Scott Brown won the first time by saying he’d be the 41st vote to kill Healthcare Reform. And then he’s been keeping them on the hook with crumbs thrown out every now and then. If he wins now, he won’t need to pretend anymore. Maybe then they’ll learn their lesson.

42. September 6, 2012 at 12:05 pm

CA OFA volunteers are now being asked to go to Nevada each weekend up until the election to help register voters and GOTV. We are ramping UP.

43. September 6, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I gotta say, whether or not you like former President William Jefferson Clinton, you have got to admit, that his nomination speech was masterful. In 48 minutes, he took the Romney/Ryan lies on the debt/deficit, Medicare/Medicaid, welfare and laid em out straight with concise and cogent fact. He didn’t just discredit the Republicans in the last three in a half years or eight years previously, he basically took out the Nixon, Ford, Reagan, H.W. Bush, and W. Bush Administrations job stats while backing up the Kennedy, Johnson, Carter(YES EVEN HIM), Clinton and now Barack Obama job stats. You know the Republicans are having strokes this morning trying to figure out how in the hell to spin this one. The tweets and the message from the Romney/Ryan team this morning are telling. The first one they sent directly last night after the speech everyone knows was prewritten before any knowledge of the speech and the tweet from this morning by them shows that they HAVE. NOTHING.

The dumbest thing, the ABSOLUTE DUMBEST THING, that the Romney team and the Republicans tried to pull, was this all too cute effort to try and say that there was split tensions between the Obama/Clinton camps and that those tensions still are their today. They, as they always do, rewrote the history of the Clinton years, telling voters that the Republican Party of yesteryear, the same party of Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole and House Speaker Newt Gingrich, were really ready and eager to work for the 42nd President of the United States all through his eight years in office.

They tried to say that Bill Clinton’s views then were in line with the Republican views held today. They tried to say that Bill Clinton had were kindred spirits with Mitt Romney and Congressman Paul Ryan, more so than with Democratic President Barack Obama. Like President Clinton said, these folks have a lot of brass.

The same party, that like with President Obama, fought him tooth and nail on legislation while in the minority, using procedural votes and hold tricks to hold up any legislation from passing. Saying that he and his wife were both akin to liars, thieves, and murderers. Vociferously fighting against claims of legitimacy of his resounding electoral victory. Twice. Then, when Republicans regained the majority and both houses of congress in 40 years, shut down the government twice to try and force President Clinton to back down, led witch hunt investigations from things like the Vince Foster suicide, Whitewater, and the White House Travel Office.

Then, they impeached the President of the United States for lying about something any sane man would do in front of cameras, receiving oral sex from another woman. Yes, it was dirty, wrong, and immoral because of what it probably did to Hillary. But, it wasn’t something to remove a person from office for.

These same Republicans, nearly 12 years after he left office, now think the public is stupid enough not to remember ANY of that. I was 9 years old when the Lewinsky thing happened, I REMEMBER THAT and so do many in my age group. If I and they remember that, then most of America remembers that. Now, Bill Clinton is an egocentric, borderline narcissistic man with a lust for power and dominance. He is also very sly and very slick. And what he did to Paul Ryan last year may have angered many then, but it seems now to be the best damn setup anyone could have ever devised. Whether you like him or not, Bill Clinton is still a Democrat. And he set that turd up like he set up Newt Gingrich when he was cheating on his second wife with his third wife and made him leave office.

President Obama and his campaign team did the most genius thing last night. They know that the Republican Party does not have a person that can be seen in most Americans eyes as a straight shooter when it comes to policy matters. The only one I could even see doing that is now resting in eternal peace in Simi Valley, California right now. In this regard, the Republicans know they have a deficit in trust and respect, which is why they are trying so hard to destroy President Obama. Because that party knows that if there are TWO trusted Democratic Presidents that really tell it like it is and can back it up because of their records in office, Republicans would lose a generation of power. And they know it. I’m calling it right now, Barack Obama will win a second term because Romney and Ryan are so out of their league.

• 176 daisydem
      September 6, 2012 at 12:41 pm

anotherslyfox, if this win for Obama is decisive, maybe even a landslide, do you see that we could also elect a Democrat in 2016? I do, and I hope my feelings are right. I think the GOP needs to go away, maybe forever. And we have some up and coming talent in the Democratic Party: we have seen several in the last few days: Castro, Warren, Deval Patrick, etc. Please say it could be so: Democratic rule for at least 12 more years!

• September 6, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I wouldn’t say all of that. I mean, I regard the Republican Party like I regard Jason Voorhies, no matter how much you believe he’s dead, he finds some way of coming back. Now, that doesn’t mean that their victory is assured in the future. They have to work at it just like us. However, with their torrent of money from the Citizen’s United Decision, they still can wreak havoc on us enough to where they could convince the majority of the American people in the future that it is us thats the problem and they could haphazardly put them back in.

We just have to be ready and vigilant, but if we have the prowess to do it and learn from past mistakes, 12 years could be done.

• 178 daisydem
          September 6, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I would be happy for 12 years for now …. I think a lot could be accomplished in twelve years that the citizens of this country would not allow anyone to take away from them, to go back on. Then again, as a woman who is 63 yrs. old, I would never have thought that birth control issues would factor in this election in 2012. Seriously. But back to the 12 years, hopefully by that time (and this may include me, so I am not advocating death for anyone) the old GOP guard, Cheney, Rove, the obstructionist Congressmen, will be gone (if not dead, then retired) and I would like to think a new mentality would be present in the GOP (if they even would still refer to it as that).

• 179 goldendreamer
      September 6, 2012 at 12:49 pm

THIS, THIS, and THIS!!!

44. 180 Linda
    September 6, 2012 at 12:16 pm

You know I’m not sure that the National Review thought this cover design through very carefully.

Awkward ?

45. September 6, 2012 at 12:19 pm

COME ON, Floridians! We can do this!

46. 190 Linda
    September 6, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Breaking news:

Romney and his SuperPACs have stopped buying ads in Michigan and Pennsylvania — basically conceding the states.

47. 192 carolyn
    September 6, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I could probably just say “ditto” to what so many of you have said, and that would be enough. But, I always have to add something of my own too. What hit me last night, was how alone PBO and VPB have been these past 3 1/2 years. GWB had the entire Republican wealthy establishment behind him, giving him cover and support. PBO has been alone. So often I just pictured him hanging over a cliff with no net. Somehow, he always survived, and in fact did better than survive. So many in his own party wanted him to first walk on water, then part it to let them walk through, and didn’t give him the support he needed.
    Finally, I feel that PBO is NOT alone! He has some powerful support. I am relieved. Thank you Bill Clinton. Everyone needs support, even brilliant, accomplished people like our president.
    Can hardly wait for all the speeches tonight…..these past two days have been totally incredible. What a magnificent, masterfully conducted convention!

• 193 57andfemale
      September 6, 2012 at 12:53 pm

A slight twist on what you just said so well: I’ve been so struck by the full-throated support for ACA and so many issues that Dem’s ran from just two years ago. Had they supported their President and the mandated agenda that he had every right to believe he had after trouncing John McCain, we would have kept the House and everything would be different now.

Am I thrilled to see Democrats be so openly supportive of women’s rights, marriage equality and ACA? You bet. But I can’t help but think that these jackasses blew it in 2010.

Oh well. Forward.

• 194 theo67
      September 6, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Yup – what a difference it would have made to have THIS Republican party fighting for the country, not just the Administration doing all the fighting.

48. September 6, 2012 at 12:40 pm

PBO’s call to convention goers will be livestreamed here at 1:20:

September 6, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I am simply psyched for tonight’s program. Can’t wait! FORWARD.

50. 200 Don
    September 6, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I’m totally convinced that Romney’s campaign director is secretly working for President Obama.

51. September 6, 2012 at 12:56 pm

So the GOP money men are now conceding PA and MI. Which state will be next? Must be rough for Mittens to see this kind of attrition before the debates even begin.

But the truth of how this race is being fought is OFA and YOU. We’ve built an amazing ground game. From the donors to the house parties to the phonebankers to the canvassers to the data collectors to the voter registration drives to the persuasion calls to the travel to battlegrounds near and far – we are on the march and we are not backing down. State by state, our volunteers are mastering what it means to win an election. It’s not easy but thank goodness there are millions of us who believe in our President Obama. Thank goodness OFA put the time and the effort into training so many willing citizens who give time, money, sweat and LOVE from their busy lives. Millions of ordinary people who believe our future rests with the Democratic Party and PBO and VPB leading the way. We are going to win. And after we win, we are going to leave the legacy of Barack Obama and OFA to the next generation of Democrats to continue this march FORWARD.

52. September 6, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Wow, what a night! (Understatement of the year) ;)
    Wasn’t crazy about the Esquire piece – they said that Clinton “saved the night.” I thought every speaker brought something and the piece kind of puts down everyone else, including Sandra Fluke who was awesome.

September 6, 2012 at 1:21 pm

54. September 6, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Only just after noon, central time….. Three more hours at work……

I am so dang eager for the convention tonight, I accidentally let my last class go one-half hour early!! Two of my classes end at 15 after the hour and two at 15 to the hour. This class should have ended at 9:45 but I sent them off at 9:15 — and not a single student said anything until AFTER most had gone. Geez Louise. Just screwed up. The day can hardly go fast enough…..