Sep

Three Days In September

Liked the video? Even a tiny bit? Well, if you did, and you have a dollar or two to spare, then, you know….

TOD fundraisers:

a4alice * Alycee * BWD * CollegeKay * Cookemom * DonnaDem4Obama

Hgerhard * HZ * Judith Fardig * Mae Who Love Our CIC

Marlz * Meta * Pamela *prettyfoot58 * proudmemberofglobalzero * Rita * Theo67 * The Obama Diary

Thank you!

President Obama hugs a supporter at the Gator’s Dockside restaurant while campaigning in Orlando, Florida, September 8

by Dudette

My Unconventional Covention Diary

As most of you know, my sister and I were a couple of the unfortunate souls with Community Credentials who had planned to be in the Bank of America stadium for PBO’s acceptance speech on Thursday. When it was moved back to the Convention Center due to forecasts of thunderstorms, we were heartbroken. Although our credentials would not let get us into the convention center, we decided to go to Charlotte anyway to soak up some of the atmosphere. I posted a few comments about our trip on previous posts, but a couple of TODers mentioned that they missed my story.

My comments were not posted in real-time, because, for me, it’s such a pain trying to post on the blog from my phone. Also some of my comments are out of sequence and I left out  a few things. So I thought it might be fun to go back and put my comments in order of when the subject described was happening (see the links below) and add a few thoughts that I left out. So Here ya go!  Sorry for the long post.

——————-
Dudette & Sister Road Dawg Finally Get to Charlotte – see here

What I left out: Although we arrived  at the hotel at 3:30AM on Thursday morning. We were so amped, we stayed up until almost 5:30AM giggling with excitement, watching news reports and online videos of convention speeches from Tuesday and Wednesday. I love my sister very much.

——————-
Church Parking – see here

What I left out:  Just as we parked at the church, we tried to login from our phones to listen to the President’s conference call from the car, but, as I suspected, there were too many people trying to get in at once. We never got beyond the “Livestream Loading…” message on the screen. Anyway, I’m really grateful to Chips for posting the President’s convention call on the blog. See here [Thank you Chips!]

The folks from the church had also pitched a tent in the parking lot, from which they were grilling and selling chicken and fish plates. That had me chuckling. Our trek from the $20 church parking lot was about a mile and a half away from the Epicentre (not counting the distance we went before we thought to ask someone for directions!). To my utter disgust, as we walked from the church along the fences, getting closer and closer to the venue, there were several $10 parking lots along our path. [WTH!!] Some of them were just a couple of blocks from the place. God has both a sense of humor and, in Charlotte, at least some of his flock has full understanding of free market enterprise. My hat’s off them.

——————-
Flirting while Exhausted (see here)

What I left out:  I think “Must Be Cute” is one of the job requirements for rookie secret service agents, cuz these young gentelmen in their muscle-rippling black t-shirts left me speechless. Thanks for the nice scenery, Gentlemen!  I’m assuming they were rookies, cuz who else would get “stand-by-the-fence” duty for this kind of event? ;-)

Note to self: It’s way past time to buy some new sneakers.

——————-
The white van (see here)

What I left out: My lesson for the day: Stop bitching and pay attention to your surroundings, you could see something cool or avoid getting kidnapped. :-)

——————-
Michael Isikoff (see here)

What I left out: My feeling of smug satisfaction was followed by a slight sense of regret. Mr. Isikoff had this pained looked on his face. It’s impossible to know whether it was due to the phone call itself or the frustration of navigating through the crowd. I wish I’d gone up to him and said something to let him know that I recognized him. I’d like to think that would’ve made his day. Carpe diem, people!

——————-
Lunch and sightings on the street (see here)

What I left out: [But mentioned in a later comment] There was a thunderstorm that afternoon while we were in the restaurant. It only lasted about a half hour but it did include lightning. Lots of it.

——————-
Invitation to the Watch Party (See here)

What I left out: Sadly, my co-worker’s group in the booth behind us did not get an OFA invitation like mine, at least not while they were in the restaurant, even though they registered their community credentials on the demconvention.com site. I wondered whether my invitation came, because I logged in to listen to the conference call — the other group said they didn’t bother trying. They were planning to go back to their hotel and watch from there. I’d love to find out how OFA divided up the “cast-aways” (my term) to notify us about the various watch parties that were set up (and where they all were stationed).

——————-
More sightings (see here)

What I left out: My sister is a political button junkie! I’m not kidding. I don’t know if she was just trying to outdo me or what. I bought twelve, but this woman bought something like 70 buttons and pinned a good number of them all over herself. Needlesstosay, she got a lot of attention as we walked along the street Thursday night. We also found some cool t-shirts with the picture from the now famous “This Seat Is Taken” tweet on the back.

We missed some of the speeches Thursday evening, cuz we were hanging out downtown, souvenir shopping and people-watching. Btw, there was a huge security presence, but it didn’t feel overbearing at all. For me, it was comforting… kinda sexy even. — I especially enjoyed watching the all the groups of cops on bicycles and motorbikes roll by as we walked the streets. At pretty much every corner, there were friendly uniformed officers from cities all over NC. Great to see female officers in the mix too.

Charlotte is full of friendly people. We met a very nice lady on the street who, it turned out, was heading the the Knight Theatre, to tend bar at the OFa event that we were invited to. We had a lovely chat as she walked us over to the theatre from the Epicentre. Our bartender friend said she’d heard about several other watch parties, one of which was just down the street in a bigger theatre. That one was organized by the Charlotte 2012 Host Committee. Rather than stand in line to wait for the doors to open at the Knight, we walked around a bit admiring some of the scuplture and architecture in the downtown area. Peeked in gallery windows and listened to street musicians before heading back to the theatre.

We made it to the theatre around 8:15. My guess is capacity was about 2500 seats. I sat in the lobby watching speeches on a wall TV for a half hour, waiting for Miss Thang while she stood in line to get a drink at the bar. [Really?] I talked to some folks from West Virginia, Philly, and Raleigh while I waited. All of us were thrilled to be there and show our support for the President. To a person, everyone commented how great FLOTUS’ speech was the other night, how relieved we were at Bill Clinton’s full-throated support for PBO and compared the difference in tone between our convention and the Repubs Hate-Fest in Tampa. Sis and I finally got into our seats in time to catch John Kerry. I just kept thinking what a shame it was that we didn’t put that man in the White House in ’04. But then again, if he’d won, we might not have our beloved President Barack Obama now.

The crowd at the theatre was pumped up! Let me tell you, Democrats are happy, loving people! My heart was just soaring at being a part of the rainbow of people in that room. Everyone was dancing, hugging, fist-pumping, singing and chanting! Some of the music: “One Nation Under A Groove” – Parliament Funkadelic;  “Wanna Be Starting Something” – MJ; “September” – Earth Wind & Fire.  Whoever was doing the music in the theatre was on it! We didn’t get to see the convention videos and speeches that were on the schedule between Sen. Kerry and SLOTUS, because they played some OFA-specific videos hosted by Kal Penn encouraging volunteer participation in Voter Registration, Get-out-the-Vote and Fundraising efforts. Some Charlotte OFA folks came out on stage to share their stories and pitch volunteering too. Then back to the speeches — Dr. Biden was elegant and wonderful. VP Biden’s speech lit up the room. Then POTUS came on and we blew the roof off!! I barely remember being in my seatfor either of their speeches! We laughed, we cried, we cheered!  It was A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!

——————-
Trying to get on TV ( see here)

What I left out: I’m an idiot and my sister loves me very much!

——————-
After PBO’s speech (see here)

What I left out: My sister, the retired Air Force Veteran, is so much like my Dad, the retired Army veteran, it’s spooky. Though they balk in horror whenever I say it, either of them, would make great politicians. They know no strangers. Wherever they go, people just gravitate to them. It really is something to behold.  In today’s case, besides her gregarious personality, I’m sure her Air Force Retired baseball cap and her over-the-top wardrobe of Obama buttons did some of the work and may have helped us get back into the restaurant late night, when they were restricting access to delegates and VIPs. We met a lot of very nice people throughout the whole day.

—————–
Friday: We wore our new “This Seat is Taken” t-shirts for the trip home. Made a stop for some BBQ at this biker joint that a colleague recommended. A lady there remembered seeing us on the street the night before. Once again, I’m really glad I was not drinking Thursday. :-)
We got a lot of smiles and waves at truckstops along the way back to Atlanta.

What I left out: I’m looking forward to going back over the videos to see everything I missed and to re-play some of the highlights. I am truly blessed and I LOVE BEING A DEMOCRAT!

Dudette …. you’re a complete gem. Thank you so much, this in unconventionally wonderful!

84 Responses to “Three Days In September”

1. September 8, 2012 at 11:31 pm

This is my evening.

Dudette, you’re a hoot.

2. 7 vitaminlover
    September 8, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Song ” What a difference a day makes, 24 littke hours” Well…what a diffference 3 days and hard work makes, 72 little hours.

• 8 Zekke LyDonna
      September 9, 2012 at 3:08 am

I am watching the news with new eyes. Usually, I want to see analysis on all the news channels. After the jobs report came out, the MSM has been pushing ‘These numbers are going to hurt obama’ meme. This is childish. I just change the channel. I no longer have the time or patience for this nonsense. Newspersons who don’t yet recognize, that it really IS a ‘choice’ election, are not people whose opinions I value.

I am not in a swing state, therefore, I am not subjected to endless negative PAC money ads, and Romney Campaign Lies. If I was, I can see myself making heavy use of the mute button.

I live in California. In 2010, we were bombarded by ads from Meg Whitman. Lying, negative bullshit. She spent, at that time, unheard amounts of money on her campaign for governor. She spent more than 140 million, mostly her own money. At a certain point, even before Gov. Brown started his general campaign, people were sick of her, and actively turning against her.

I anticipate this will be the case in the swing states, with regards to Mitt Romney. 2 months is a loooooooooong time.

3. September 8, 2012 at 11:34 pm

4. 11 Judith Fardig
    September 8, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Loved this video… and the whole week!! How can I be so exhausted and elated simultaneously? Weekend of Action is jam-packed, and volunteers are coming out of the woodwork for OFA.

5. 12 susanne
    September 8, 2012 at 11:38 pm

thanks chips and dudette! anybody who missed the obama diary coverage of the dem convention missed the good stuff!

September 8, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Dudette…that was so wonderful for you to share with us:) Sounds like you and your sister had a blast anyway….as it should be! Thanks so much for all the juicy details and sharing your fun with all of us. Hugs!

7. September 8, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Thanks to Dudette for her account of her convention experience. I wanted to relay my experience today registering someone to vote for the very first time. The person I registered had never voted, was in their late thirties and came in because they were so inspired by the convention. I have never registered anyone who was this overjoyed about voting, it brought to mind the lines in the President’s speech about people giving him hope, I felt that today and knew that I was lucky to belong to a party that values each and every person. Just like Dudette, I love being a Democrat.

• 15 99ts
      September 8, 2012 at 11:53 pm

I live in a country where voting is compulsory – GOTV is an unheard of concept. I think you are all wonderful in what you do to support President Obama – down under – we just love him – and pray that all you do brings him back for 4 more years

Also, too – there is one of those meetings in 2014 where the US President will be in MY city – It just has to be President Obama – no-one else is allowed.

September 9, 2012 at 12:00 am

:) No one else is allowed here, either:)

• 17 99ts
          September 9, 2012 at 12:05 am

Bless you DF – you work so hard to ensure that

September 9, 2012 at 12:10 am

So many of us do the hard work for him. Nothing worth fighting for is ever easy….it’s worth it though:) went out for a couple drinks tonight…registered a couple friends that had moved back here from MN….:)

• 19 nathkatun7
        September 9, 2012 at 1:44 am

99ts, you have a real democracy “down under.” I think voting in a democracy should be treated the same way we treat Jury service and paying taxes. I honestly believe that if voting was compulsory in this country the lopsided influence of money would be minimized. It’s a shame that in the so called leading democratic country in the world almost half of the country does not bother to vote for President or members of Congress. The situation is even worse when it comes to State and Local governments.

• 20 Zekke LyDonna
          September 9, 2012 at 3:12 am

It’s just one more reason why PBO’s convention speech was so remarkable. His talk about the duties and responsibilities of citizenship was so moving and inspirational. I hope all Americans take it to heart. ‘We are the ones we’ve been waiting for.”

• 21 99ts
          September 9, 2012 at 3:46 am

Around 10% don’t vote – it’s easy to avoid the fines (which are minimal) but it means the winners really do have a mandate. At the minute we have a right wing state government who are ghastly – but – you get what your fellow citizens vote for – so now they discover it was not what they wanted.

US does have an advantage in the major elections – both sides have to present the case as to why they should win. If you want to be informed you have much help to be that way. There are benefits in both systems. The main thing I see missing in the US are standard voting laws. EVERY state should vote under the same laws. The current attempts to impede some people voting is not what one expects in a democracy. The good thing is they are being called out on it – hopefully the legal challenges will hold.

• 22 99ts
          September 9, 2012 at 3:49 am

I just keyed a fairly long reply which seems to have “disappeared into the recess that is WP. Suffice to say – there are benefits to both systems – the real issue I see in the US is vote suppression by some states – may the legal fight on this be won.

• 23 susanne
      September 9, 2012 at 12:19 am

what a wonderful experience! our president is so extraordinary, and the democratic party has been lifted up by his example and leadership, and now that spirit is reaching out into the country more than ever, inspiring citizenship–like the person who is now voting for the first time. thanks so much for telling us!

8. 24 LDS
    September 8, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Just got back from PA……block part on N.W. side and what an on fire crowd!
    Plenty of music, food and fun. Registered new voters, change of address, tons of Commit Cards. All of this was done before the showers pored down upon us. But the spirit was not dampened. Lots of inquiry of I.D. Suppression. People came out to just talk and ask questions.
    The seniors are on fire and Fired Up! Ready to go!

Please, I urge everyone to donate time, money, conversations or a smile. Just get more involved. Do not get too comfortable. Enjoy the momentum but realize there are a lot of people who need to be informed and encourage while the weather is still nice.
    Feet hurt, tired……but still determined: Can’t Go Back! Won’t Go Back!

9. 33 Dudette
    September 8, 2012 at 11:42 pm

OMG! :-D

Thank you Chips!

10. 35 Cha
    September 8, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Love it, Chips..thanks! And, Sharing it~

11. 36 Betsy
    September 8, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Thanks Chips for that great video, and thanks to Dudette for your wonderfully descriptive recount of your trip. I felt as if I was there. I watched all of the convention each day I came home from work ( around 3:30 PST), and enjoyed it all.

12. 37 99ts
    September 8, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Dudette – fab diary – thank you so much

13. September 8, 2012 at 11:54 pm

LOVE the video….beautiful! The FAB FOUR! A Better Path. Great headlines. We got the bounce….let’s keep it going People…We The People in order to form a more perfect Union…..need to re-elect President Obama!

14. 39 Pamela
    September 9, 2012 at 12:01 am

Chipsticks! That video is FINE! You are a Jedi Master! Dudette! Your story brings the whole place to life, it’s as if we were there with you! How very clever of you to get to Charlotte! Well Done! Thank you both so much, and to all a good night, I have done too much today! :)

15. September 9, 2012 at 12:01 am

You are a total hoot, Dudette!

And Chips, another stellar video. Love it!

16. 43 99ts
    September 9, 2012 at 12:08 am

I’ve been reading Nate Silver’s twitter – the MSM is going to be all out to attack his stats – he’s got the race at 79.8% to the President – that is not good for the ratings – hahahaha

17. September 9, 2012 at 12:10 am

It’s all about the total Obstruction to harm a President, Irrespective of the Consequences to Americans (save the ultra-wealthy who happen to be really stupid, because their wealth insulates them only in a civilized society, not the one that their deeds could earn them if President Obama and the Democrats don’t prevail on 6 Nov., if you get my drift).

18. September 9, 2012 at 12:13 am

Wow, Dudette!!!!!!!! Wonderful. Very vivid…felt like I was there with you and your sister. Thanks for sharing with us.

19. 47 FoxfireTX
    September 9, 2012 at 12:23 am

I don’t go to Politico very often but a reference somewhere lead me there tonight. Was very surprised to see this:

“State of the Race: Advantage, Obama” http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0912/80949.html?hp=t1

Apparently what has triggered the angst is that both campaigns’ internal polls have PBO leading by 9 in Ohio! Some interesting quotes:

“Romney can still win the presidency if he loses Ohio, but it’s extremely difficult.

“The Obama and Romney campaigns anticipate little movement in national polls before the first debate on Oct. 3, which both see as the most important day of this campaign.’

“In the end, what gives both camps the sense that Obama is better positioned, is the map of 10 states they are fighting on. Two months ago, a top Romney official said they had to have at least one or two of these states in the bag, preferably Florida, to be on course to win. They don’t.

“Our problems are Virginia, Ohio, Nevada, New Hampshire,” a top official said. “Our opportunities are Michigan, Wisconsin, Colorado. We can’t trade our problems for our opportunities and win the presidency. If we trade our problems for our opportunities, we lose.”

There is interesting information on the different approaches the two campaigns will be taking in the final weeks. It’s a good read, especially for Politico. They also have a slide show of 39 great photos of the Obama Presidency: http://www.politico.com/gallery/2012/09/39-great-photos-from-obamas-presidency/000421-005550.html

Frankly, I am not too worried about the debates although I am not complacent about them either. PBO hasn’t debated in 4 years and will definitely need some refreshing while Romney has done decently in the primary debates and fairly recently. At the same time, given PBO’s competitiveness and circumspection, I don’t see the possibility of a major fail for him while the gaffe-prone Romney has more of a risk although I do not expect him to be as bad as McCain was in 2008. I suspect in the end they will not change the race much one way or the other.

All in all a great end to an absolutely wonderful week. I recorded two of the three nights and expect I will watch segments of them many times over. Chips, thank you again for all you do!

• 48 susanne
      September 9, 2012 at 12:39 am

aloha foxfire
      thanks for the info from politico. i disagree with you, however, about the debates. seems to me pbo is extremely conversant on the historical facts and data that clarify his decisions and positions. he speaks authoritatively on any subject relating to the president’s work, with grace, humor, and foresight.

i believe he will devastate robmey in the debates. however much ‘practicing’ myth is doing, he doesn’t know what the hell he’s talking about. and he shifts his positions around so often, he’ll have to defend his past, his current, and his future beliefs, without allowing his imperious, outraged, disdainful, master-of-the-universe core to show.

that said, it will definitely be fun to watch, whether or not it changes the race. possibly myth will gain a few pity votes, but anyone with any actual interest in voting based on the debates will see how pbo is the leader we need now.

• 49 FoxfireTX
        September 9, 2012 at 12:46 am

I’d like to hope so Susanne, but I do not trust the moderators. I believe they will be on Romney’s side the whole way and it can clearly slant the outcome. I remember one debate in particular during the 08 primary (PA maybe?) where whoever was “moderating” did nothing but attack PBO and then would not let him get a word in edgewise. Clearly they wanted Hillary to win that one. That said, as I noted I believe Romney has the biggest downside risk.

• 50 susanne
          September 9, 2012 at 1:13 am

yep, the ‘moderators’ are anything but. it’s just that pbo has been up and down these issues day and night for years, while robmey was playing on his yacht, and counting his money. myth has a few lines he likes to use, but there’s no substance behind it. not that i think the debates will be childsplay, but i definitely believe myth is way out of his league.

• 51 Zekke LyDonna
            September 9, 2012 at 3:21 am

I read the article. I didn’t get this: ‘The Romney campaign, while pleasantly surprised by Obama’s lackluster prime-time performance…’

What is this ‘lackluster’ narrative MSM keeps trying to push?

I know why rethugs are doing it. They are trying to drive a wedge between Bill Clinton fans and PBO fans. Ha Ha Ha. Silly wrabbits.

• 54 99ts
      September 9, 2012 at 3:54 am

When you look at who Romney had to debate against in the primary – and who he now has to debate against – that he did “decently” in the primary is rather irrelevant. From the small number of debates I saw from the primary, Romney had the media with him & some seriously underwhelming opponents

September 9, 2012 at 12:35 am

Dudette = Raconteur

21. September 9, 2012 at 12:44 am

Dudette, you are adorable!

22. 57 cluny
    September 9, 2012 at 12:48 am

Thanks Dudette – that was a hilarious, fun and uplifting read. What I noticed most watching the convention was how close to tears FLOTUS came many times. I as thinking that it must have been a relief for her to feel the love and hear the supportive words so many had for PBO. I think many people (not here) forget what this family must go through – the slurs, insults, disrespect – not to mention threats of physical violence. It was moving to watch her react to the speakers and their stories. It will be interesting to watch how the media covers the next sixty days but I thought it was interesting that Roger Ailes was negotiating another contract (they must think PBO will win). Also, PBO (the Dems) blew away the repubs in all the ratings, twitter etc. FLOTUS’ speech became a viral hit in China so the media big wigs must be doing their calculations – what will bring them more money/ratings over the next four years – dull Willard or PBO – and will better ratings compensate for the rejigging of the tax code. Now will come the big test people power vs the ugly money drop in ads comning from the rethugs and the attempt to steal the vote.

23. 58 sjterrid
    September 9, 2012 at 1:50 am

Thanks, Dudette loved reading about you and your sister’s adventure in North Carolina.

24. 59 nathkatun7
    September 9, 2012 at 2:05 am

Thank you Dudette for sharing you and your sister’s convention experience. I wish I could have been there hanging out with you guys. I just love reading about positive people who refuse to let unexpected disappointments cramp their quest for happiness.

25. September 9, 2012 at 2:12 am

Good morning Chips …

Thank you!!!

Yes We Can … Do More Together!

26. 62 lmrj
    September 9, 2012 at 2:26 am

Dudette, what a great read. Put us right there with you.

Thought I would add to GOP-water-boy Gregory’s list:

27. 63 4morefor44
    September 9, 2012 at 2:34 am

all anyone needs to know about david gregory, and what to expect tomorrow/today as he tongue bathes the rmoneys. behold the horror:

and this guy gets something like $8 million per year to tank the ratings of meet the press?

• 64 4morefor44
      September 9, 2012 at 2:49 am

and of course there’s this from david gregory’s wikipedia page:
      “After the election, Gregory became a White House correspondent for NBC. The conservative Media Research Center named him ‘Best White House Correspondent’ for his coverage of Bush’s first 100 days.[20] Gregory held this position until taking the Meet the Press job in December 2008. Chuck Todd was named to replace him as White House correspondent on December 18, 2008.
      It has been mentioned that Michael Chertoff, a Bush appointee, attended a baby shower for his children.[21]”

such a journalist, huh?

• September 9, 2012 at 3:25 am

See, that last one cracks me up. Cause that’s exactly how I am when high … I get the uncontrollable giggles.

28. September 9, 2012 at 2:42 am

Just beautiful! Thank You Chips. Thank You Mr President. Thank you everyone. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

29. 68 Zekke LyDonna
    September 9, 2012 at 2:50 am

September 9, 2012 at 4:48 am

Zekke, I loved that. I can not get enough of FLOTUS speech. I love the others also. But America saw that night, if they didn’t already know that Mrs. Michelle Obama is a great First Lady. I can just imagine Malia, Sasha, and Barack sitting there listening to her that night.

30. 70 Zekke LyDonna
    September 9, 2012 at 2:54 am

For those who missed Emanuel Cleaver Speech at DNC:

31. 71 susanne
    September 9, 2012 at 3:57 am

npr explains the shift in rules at the 60 day mark:

‘ Two pro-Republican groups account for two-thirds of all the GOP spending and more than the Romney campaign itself. One group is Americans for Prosperity, which is backed by billionaires David and Charles Koch. The other, cofounded by strategist Karl Rove, is Crossroads GPS.

Americans for Prosperity and Crossroads GPS are technically social welfare organizations, so they aren’t required to disclose their donors. But now that the election is fewer than 60 days away, maintaining secrecy is a little harder. ‘

32. 72 susanne
    September 9, 2012 at 4:18 am

nyt article analyses some of the forces bearing down on the next few weeks of the campaign.

‘ Presidential races take place on many levels, some easily visible, others more shrouded. As the clock runs down, both sides make tough decisions about which states to compete in and which to abandon. Advertising themes get tested and changed as strategists hunt frantically for the right appeals, and get-out-the-vote teams target wavering voters with tailored messages.

Behind closed doors, the candidates are preparing for the most crucial remaining events, the debates. And in courtrooms, lawyers are battling over who is on the ballot and who can vote.

Unforeseen events, economic or otherwise, could also still have a significant impact on the outcome of the race, much as the financial crisis did four years ago this fall.

Here are a few things to watch in the 58 days ahead: ‘

• 73 99ts
      September 9, 2012 at 4:26 am

Hi susanne – I think this is part of the pitch from the media to make it a match – as per my post below. Somewhere I read about the GOP comparing this election to 1980 – all it needs is every ghastly thing to happen to President Obama, that happened to Jimmy Carter – and behold – Mitt Romney. Mitt has vote suppression and money on his side – that is about all – and he is not going to mention those things. Yesterday he said it has been a “bad week” – he ain’t seen nothin’ yet.

Wish I could be in the middle of it all – but you people are doing just fine.

33. 74 99ts
    September 9, 2012 at 4:20 am

Prior to the NYT – Nate Silver had his own blog – he admitted to being pro dem – and he had hundreds posting on his blog. Many seemed disappointed when he moved to the times & became an each way pundit – his reading of the polls yesterday had over 500 comments – the most I have seen on a post at the times. He has a new one up now which doubles down on the polling putting the President ahead.

Watch the MSM do anything and everything to deny the maths – well the arithmetic – although at the Nate level there are some complex formulas. I did university level stats but much of it is beyond me. I’m happy to accept that 79.8% chance without understanding all the stats. The only thing I don’t agree with is Mitt Romney getting 47% of the popular vote – there can’t be that many stupid people on the planet.

• 75 susanne
      September 9, 2012 at 5:00 am

hey 99, are we the only ones still up?
      thanks for the link here–very interesting article, with tons of info. i studied statistics and probabilities in college, too, but remember very little, except the sweat dripping from my brow onto my test paper.

so glad nyt provides this analysis! looks good for pbo, but many weeks ahead when anything can happen. unfortunately, i do remember enough statistics to acknowledge that 50% of the people on earth have i.q.s of 100 or less, by definition. i wouldn’t say that’s the same thing as ‘stupid’ though. probably myth robmey is intelligent, but an absolute idiot just the same.

• 76 99ts
        September 9, 2012 at 5:59 am

Hi susanne – sorry I missed your reply – I live in Australia – where at the minute it is almost 8pm on September 9. Just finished all the Sunday chores & checking out my favorite web site.

Maybe I should change my word “stupid” to self interested rich folks and their friends who don’t like that the President is “different” – as you say, not everyone with lower IQs are stupid – and in some worlds the whole concept of IQ has been diminished – when I was at school it was your standard test – not done in my world any more.

Will be interesting to see the concern trolling in the media for the next few weeks. We get positive Mitt news down here – and I write to one of the news folks every other day to explain their error!

34. 78 FiredUpInCA
    September 9, 2012 at 4:54 am

The video at the top of this post is incredibly well done. Thanks for it.

35. 79 anniebella
    September 9, 2012 at 4:55 am

I don’t want any of us Obama supporters to think this thing is in the bag. We have to keep fighting to register people, to get people out to vote,we have to keep fighting because we know the other side will play nasty. Obama supporters…..Keep fighting, keep doing what ever we can, in whatever way we can to help re-elect President Obama.

September 9, 2012 at 5:00 am

I get so dam sick and tired of the media wanting to blame President Obama for these jobs numbers.Why don’t they ever talk about the obstruction this President faced from those right wing Republicans. There is a jobs bill (the President jobs bill) sitting in the House right now, which is paid for, but the Republicans refuse to vote on it. So why don’t the media ask the Republicans about that?

• 81 susanne
      September 9, 2012 at 5:04 am

hi anniebella! i’m just about to say goodnight. glad to have a chance to greet you, and agree with you wholeheartedly. we cannot assume we’re winning this, just because pbo is so obviously the greatest president we could possibly elect. the rethugs are a nasty bunch of liars and cheaters and dirty fighters. forward!!

36. 82 anniebella
    September 9, 2012 at 5:12 am

FORWARD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

37. September 9, 2012 at 7:25 am

Good Sunday Morning TOD Family. Thank you Chips for the positive video and Dudette’s diary. I can always count on everyone here to inform and entertain me. Have a great day everyone.